BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 24 Nov 12:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 21 Nov 00:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller: "Facing Schalke won't be easy, we could have been luckier after such a hard NT break"
- 15 Nov 02:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "The world is fucked up right now"
- 10 Nov 22:07 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola future unclear
- 05 Nov 08:57 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola after 5-1: "Very good game against over Arsenal, but we conceded too many breaks"
- 03 Nov 16:59 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Arsenal want to attack, but it's difficult against us"
- 03 Nov 07:30 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Schubert before Juventus clash: "Me being The Wizard? I've got no magic wand and spells"
- 02 Nov 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, PSV 'must do things different' against Wolfsburg
- 02 Nov 20:20 HAMBURG, Labbadia: "Upset for losing against Hannover. The defeat is not on Lasogga and Schipplock"
- 29 Oct 08:59 INGOLSTADT 04, Marvin Matip to face his brother in Schalke: "Proud of him having become better than me"
- 28 Oct 22:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Players want Pep to stay
- 28 Oct 08:29 DARMSTADT, Captain Sulu after DfB-Pokal victory over Hannover: "They were good, but overall we deserved it"
- 27 Oct 07:57 SCHALKE 04, Aogo: "Our fans will push us anyways"
- 26 Oct 14:39 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Medical report on Jedvaj
- 26 Oct 13:00 GERMANY,Geis apologises for horror tackle on Hahn
- 24 Oct 03:11 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Robben set for Bayern return"
- 21 Oct 07:30 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Johnson: "We want to defeat Juventus by playing with courage and grit"
- 20 Oct 11:37 BAYERN MUNICH, Lahm before CL clash against Arsenal: "London brings back happy memories. Gunners are experiencing a lot of pressure"
- 19 Oct 07:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller on victories record: "That will be hard to match. Exciting game until the end"
- 16 Oct 07:59 BAYERN MUNICH, Javi Martinez: "Good to be back. My new role? I'm flexible"
- 15 Oct 07:29 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hoffmann before Mainz clash: "Facing my previous team will be nice. Tuchel is a great manager. Bayern? They'll play in their own league"
- 14 Oct 07:29 HERTHA BERLIN, Kalou: "We are playing a nice-looking kind of football. Ibisevic? Skilled player and great guy"
- 12 Oct 07:29 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Bad injury for Herrmann
- 09 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Götze: "Never thought about leaving Bayern"
- 07 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Soon we'll talk about Guardiola new deal"
- 06 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "No more offers for Muller"
- 02 Oct 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We want to keep Sanč"
- 01 Oct 21:00 HAMBURG, Holtby: "Schalke scored when we were at our best. Hertha gained stability"
- 01 Oct 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "It's good for us that Boateng trains with Milan"
- 29 Sep 15:04 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Great opportunity for us. But let's be careful against Zagreb, they defeated Arsenal"
- 29 Sep 13:43 CHAMPIONS, Bayern- Dinamo Zagreb Possible lineups Javi Martínez available
- 29 Sep 07:27 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We couldn't keep De Bruyne"
- 28 Sep 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Hazard: "Happy with Chelsea exit"
- 24 Sep 13:20 FC KOELN, Gerhardt: "Balanced match against Hertha, but they use their chances. Now let's make things right at RheinEnergieStadion"
- 23 Sep 08:39 HANNOVER, Kind: "We are confident in Frontzeck, but.."
- 22 Sep 07:59 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "We wanted Favre to stay"
- 21 Sep 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Shaqiri and Inler were too expensive for us"
- 18 Sep 14:15 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Special Preview - Castro and Kampl recent traded ones
- 18 Sep 08:27 SCHALKE, Boateng's agent: "He won't move before January"
- 18 Sep 06:59 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "It was a very demanding game, defense-wise
- 17 Sep 17:44 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BAYERN MUNICH (Group F), Müller: "I've been a bit lucky in our first goal's maneuver"
- 17 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Premier League can't buy the best players"
- 17 Sep 01:48 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BATE BORISOV (Group E), Chernik: "Concerned for losing to Bayer, proud to be in the league"
- 17 Sep 01:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - OLYMPIAKOS (Group F), Karembeu: "We didn't take advantage of our chances against Bayern"
- 17 Sep 00:49 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BAYER LEVERKUSEN (Group E), Chicharito Hernandez: "Coach Schmidt makes me believe in myself"
- 16 Sep 14:44 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - WOLFSBURG (Group B), match-winner Draxler: "Happy for my goal, but we should have put it to bed before"
- 16 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Ribery will be back before the end of the year"
- 16 Sep 01:08 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D), Favre: "We made it easy for Seville"
- 15 Sep 23:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - CSKA MOSCOW (Group B), Slutsky: "Wolfsburg surprise us a bit, tactics-wise"
- 14 Sep 11:27 BAYERN MUNICH, Hamann: "Pep under pressure"
- 14 Sep 07:59 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "Exciting victory over Hannover, but we aren't fully satisfied"
- 11 Sep 09:27 WOLFSBURG, Draxler: "I wasn't ready for Juve"
- 10 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Lahm: "I will end my career here"
- 10 Sep 00:59 WOLFSBURG, Träsch: "Playing at Ingolstadt will be a home game for me"
- 09 Sep 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We had no problems with Perisic"
- 07 Sep 16:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Badstuber: "I’m relearning the feeling of being out there on the pitch"
- 04 Sep 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We were not after Blaszczykowski"
- 03 Sep 16:37 SCHALKE 04, Breitenreiter: "Draxler's trade to Wolfsburg? We've lost our best player"
- 03 Sep 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Hernandez: "It was easy to choose this club"
- 02 Sep 08:45 BAYERN, Xabi Alonso: "Too early to talk about my new contract"
- 31 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "No agreement for Draxler yet"
- 30 Aug 11:29 BORUSSIA, Tuchel: "Kuba? Everything can happen"
- 28 Aug 09:57 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Perisic has a high evaluation"
- 27 Aug 08:57 BORUSSIA D., Großkreutz's agent: "No contacts with Fiorentina"
- 21 Aug 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Draxler won't be a last-minute departure"
- 20 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Sammer: "Muller is unsellable"
- 18 Aug 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Matip's new deal is our priority"
- 14 Aug 09:27 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Götze will stay"
- 13 Aug 08:57 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "I can't imagine a good offer from Inter for Perisic"
- 12 Aug 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "He will leave only if.."
- 11 Aug 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Schade: "Aranguiz about to join"
- 10 Aug 06:59 MAINZ, Karius' agent turns out transfer rumors
- 09 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, De Bruyne's agent: "He could sign a new contract"
- 08 Aug 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Inler? Not now"
- 07 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Juve have made no offers for Goetze"
- 06 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "I think Benatia and Gotze will stay"
- 05 Aug 06:59 JUVENTUS, Draxler's agent: "We are waiting for Juve"
- 04 Aug 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Fiorentina are after Ayhan"
- 03 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "I expect De Bruyne to stay"
- 01 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I haven't decided if I will extend my contract"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We want to keep all our best players"
- 30 Jul 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Howedes: "I'm sure Draxler will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Perisic's agent: "He's about to join Inter"
- 28 Jul 06:57 WOLFSBURG, De Bruyne: "I don't know where I will play in the next season"
- 27 Jul 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Mkhitaryan: "I'll stay until 2016, then we'll see"
- 25 Jul 13:29 HANNOVER, Dufner: "Sakai going nowhere"
- 24 Jul 10:29 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "City have made no offers for De Bruyne"
- 23 Jul 06:59 HAMBURG, Ekdal's agent: "Also PSG were after him"
- 22 Jul 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Juventus are allowed to negotiate with Draxler"
- 20 Jul 15:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola on Götze-Juventus rumours: "Mario is a great player. A great player of ours"
- 18 Jul 06:59 BAYER, Voller: "Kovacic won't join"
- 17 Jul 07:29 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "I hope Vidal will join us"
- 13 Jul 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Perisic's agent: "He's interested in joining Inter"
- 10 Jul 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Schweinsteiger honoured by United's agent"
- 09 Jul 06:59 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "No concrete offers for Behrami"
- 08 Jul 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "We don't want Perisic to leave"
- 07 Jul 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Gundogan: "I have refused many offers"
- 06 Jul 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Not worried about De Bruyne"
- 02 Jul 06:39 WERDER, Di Franco: "Many clubs want me"
- 25 Nov 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Van Gaal on Robben
- 25 Nov 15:31 FRANCE/ PSG, To plot mega-Ronaldo deal
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, A Serie A suitor for Strinic
- 25 Nov 14:27 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Suggestion for Cigarini
- 25 Nov 13:57 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, 2 Ligue 1 important suitors for Mirallas
- 25 Nov 13:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Van Basten could help AC Milan signing De Roon
- 25 Nov 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Sullivan renews for Blackburn
- 25 Nov 12:30 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Planning to sign Biabiany on loan from Inter
- 25 Nov 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Inler if Witsel remains a dream
- 25 Nov 11:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doneil Henry joins Rovers back from West Ham
- 25 Nov 10:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Papu Gomez
- 25 Nov 10:29 FRANCE/ RENNES, 3 Bundesliga clubs on Grosicki
- 25 Nov 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lisandro Lopez's agent: "Benfica-Fiorentina swap involving Suarez? I don't know if that can happen"
- 25 Nov 09:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger hopeful his side can get the result needed in Greece to progress
- 25 Nov 09:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Offer to Ohéme for N'Koulou ready
- 25 Nov 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta decides: 25 million euros recompra right on Berardi to be used
- 25 Nov 08:59 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, Barcelona and Bayern through as group winners after comfortable victorie
- 25 Nov 08:52 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare extended until 2018
- 25 Nov 03:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Seedorf as a name if McClaren gets sacked
- 25 Nov 02:27 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Meeting for signing Pato
- 25 Nov 01:57 BAYERN MUNICH & SCHALKE 04, Observing Colombian talent Cardona
- 25 Nov 01:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Eyes on Nampalys Mendy
- 25 Nov 00:59 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, José Castro: "We are negotiating with Banega on renewal"
- 25 Nov 00:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Maxi Lopez renews for Torino
- 25 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Back for Isco
- 24 Nov 22:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino, suggestion for Leonardo Sanchez
- 24 Nov 20:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese approaching Yony Gonzalez
- 24 Nov 19:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Arlind Ajeti joins Frosinone
- 24 Nov 18:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart fire Zorniger
- 24 Nov 16:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: offer for Perotti submitted
- 24 Nov 15:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 3 more suitors for Rebic's loan
- 24 Nov 15:29 PSG, Thiago Motta: "Now I know I want to stay. Ibra knows there are a lot of important players here. Our goal? Winning CL"
- 24 Nov 14:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Planning to yield Ongenda
- 24 Nov 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bradley's agent: "He'd like to join back Italy, even for a test period"
- 24 Nov 14:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Willing to sign Felipe from Hannover
- 24 Nov 13:27 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea on Red Devils good moment: "Steady CL route after first defeat. Depay will bring a lot to us against PSV"
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 24 Nov 12:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 24 Nov 11:59 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "City will be aggressive. Dybala is developing into a very fine player, technique-wise"
- 24 Nov 11:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Landing Douglas from Dnipro
- 24 Nov 11:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Suggestion for Ogbonna
- 24 Nov 10:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mario Rui renews for Empoli
- 24 Nov 09:00 STUTTGART & PADERBORN 07, Scouting Owase
- 24 Nov 00:00 BARÇA & PSG, Dreaming of Dybala. But chances now are none
- 23 Nov 23:28 FRANCE/ LORIENT, A Premier League suitor for Moukandjo
- 23 Nov 22:59 ITALY/ INTER, In touch with Van Der Wiel for January
- 23 Nov 22:30 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Landing Baby Face Koziello from Nice
- 23 Nov 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus challenge Fiorentina on Marlon
- 23 Nov 21:27 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From France: survey on Pastore
- 23 Nov 20:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique approaches Pjanic: summer move ready
Louis van Gaal has denied reports that he is looking to sign Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben.
“If I answer that question, then you are writing [United are trying to sign] Robben, what you have written about Ronaldo and that I didn’t say,” the Manchester Uni
Looking forward to Champions League Matchday 5 home game against Manchester City, which might allow Juventus to qualify for eighth finals, Bianconeri
Attending a long press conference, Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez widely commented upon Rafa Benitez's position stability as Merengues manager
On a good route after a difficult start, Manchester United could now get Champiosn League eighth finals pass with one group round turn in advance, now
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi