BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 18 May 06:59 BAYERN, Heinckes: "I won't talk about my future before the CL final"
- 17 May 06:30 HAMBURG, Adler: "Arsenal? I am not even thinking about it"
- 16 May 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "Arango will stay with us"
- 14 May 06:39 BAYERN, Pizarro: "I could remain for another season"
- 13 May 06:39 SCHALKE, Draxler: "Never been in touch with Borussia"
- 12 May 07:29 BORUSSIA, Hummels: "I could leave only for Barça"
- 11 May 06:59 BAYERN, Heinckes: "My future? Away from Germany"
- 10 May 06:30 BORUSSIA, Lewandowski: "Honoured of Mourinho interest"
- 09 May 06:30 BORUSSIA, Zorc: "Draxler? Just speculations"
- 08 May 18:40 BAYERN MUNICH, Moments of fear for Schweinsteiger
- 08 May 06:30 BAYERN, Sammer: "Rafinha will stay"
- 07 May 06:30 LEVERKUSEN, Holzhauser: "Schürrle has signed a pre-contract with Chelsea"
- 06 May 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "We admire Dzeko, but.."
- 05 May 06:57 BORUSSIA D., Watzke: "We want to keep Lewandowski"
- 04 May 06:59 BAYERN, Robben: "I want to stay"
- 03 May 14:20 SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "Draxler will never join Borussia Dortmund"
- 03 May 06:57 FREIBURG, Streich: "Ginter will stay with us"
- 02 May 06:37 LEVERKUSEN, Kiessling: "No contacts with Borussia Dortmund"
- 01 May 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Lewandowski's: "Bayern? Too early to talk about my future"
- 30 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Muller: "Barcelona depends on Messi"
- 30 Apr 16:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Schweinsteiger: "Barcelona are capable of doing great things"
- 30 Apr 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Lewandowski's agent: "I don't think he'll move to England"
- 29 Apr 12:45 WERDER BREMEN, Club management suspend Arnautovic and Elia until season end
- 29 Apr 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "I haven't said anything about Mourinho"
- 28 Apr 07:30 LEVERKUSEN,, Schurrle's agent: "Chelsea? Soon there will be a solution"
- 27 Apr 07:27 EINTRACHT, Grillo: "Now Jung costs nine millions"
- 26 Apr 06:57 SCHALKE, Huntelaar: "I want to remain"
- 25 Apr 06:39 LEVERKUSEN, Völler: "Schürrle to Chelsea? It depends from De Bruyne"
- 24 Apr 11:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller: "Everyone knows how strong Barcelona are at home"
- 24 Apr 09:45 BAYERN, Lahm: "We've got a lot of quality in attack"
- 24 Apr 09:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes delight at 'extraordinary' Bayern
- 24 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Heinckes: "My future? I haven't decided yet"
- 23 Apr 15:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller: "That is indeed going to be very interesting"
- 23 Apr 13:25 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Klopp: "Gotze? It'd have been better not say now"
- 23 Apr 06:39 LEVERKUSEN, Holzhauser: "No agreement with Chelsea for Schurrle"
- 21 Apr 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Inter are tracking Marica"
- 20 Apr 06:59 SCHALKE, Farfan: "I could end my career here"
- 19 Apr 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Real? Next year I will still be here"
- 19 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 18 Apr 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Gundogan: "In the future I would like to play in England or Spain"
- 17 Apr 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "We want to extend Yildirim's contract"
- 16 Apr 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Goetze's agent: "He will remain at least for one more season"
- 13 Apr 06:59 HANNOVER 96, Kind: "I want to keep both Slomka and Schmadtke"
- 12 Apr 18:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes: "No Pep talk needed"
- 12 Apr 06:39 STUTTGART, Macheda's agent: "He will be signed on permanent deal"
- 11 Apr 08:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes: "We gained supremacy on the match inch by inch"
- 11 Apr 06:45 BAYERN, Rafinha: "Never thought about leaving"
- 10 Apr 15:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Subotic: "A crazy match, as seen only in Hollywood movies. Our season as a fairytale"
- 10 Apr 11:46 DORTMUND, Lewandowski: "We need to see what happens in the semi-finals"
- 09 Apr 17:31 BAYER MUNICH, Neuer and Robben target early goal in Turin
- 18 May 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Almost done for Zuniga
- 18 May 09:29 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, Attempt for Baines ready
- 18 May 09:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Borges is Bahia new coach
- 18 May 08:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Idea Ftacla
- 18 May 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Lorenzo is Olympiacos new Sports Director
- 18 May 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I dream of Real Madrid"
- 18 May 06:59 BAYERN, Heinckes: "I won't talk about my future before the CL final"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 18 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He won't leave"
- 17 May 23:37 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Nicolás Sánchez
- 17 May 23:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Fiorentina after Pizarro
- 17 May 22:59 ITALY/ UDINESE, Sprint for Nunez
- 17 May 22:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Karpuz
- 17 May 22:20 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, First attempt for Diamanti failed
- 17 May 22:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Berezovsky extends with Dynamo Moscow
- 17 May 21:45 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Perez about to extend
- 17 May 21:30 GERMANY/ WERDER, Also Vogel for the bench
- 17 May 21:15 FRANCE/ EVIAN, Barbosa about to extend
- 17 May 21:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Three clubs after Kurtic
- 17 May 20:50 PERU/ UNIVERSITARIO, Guarderas towards Europe
- 17 May 20:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Interest for Cassano
- 17 May 20:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Asamoah
- 17 May 20:20 INTER, Successful surgery for Cassano
- 17 May 20:10 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Attempt for Dzeko ready
- 17 May 20:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Offer for Gündoğan ready
- 17 May 19:50 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, From France: deal with Moutinho, soon the meeting with Porto
- 17 May 19:40 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Stojanovic about to renew
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 19:20 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, McGinn extends with Aberdeen
- 17 May 19:10 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Eyes on Koval
- 17 May 19:00 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Offer for Tino Costa
- 17 May 18:50 ITALY/ LAZIO, Russian suitors for Diakité
- 17 May 18:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Liverpool eye Belfodil
- 17 May 18:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Lichtsteiner gets farther
- 17 May 18:20 TURKEY/ SIVASSPOR, Roberto Carlos might be next manager
- 17 May 18:10 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Captain Cherundolo about to extend
- 17 May 18:00 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Done for Victor Valdes
- 17 May 17:50 FRANCE/ O.L., New Premier League chance for Gomis
- 17 May 17:47 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, 6 Premier League clubs interested in Atsu
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:31 AC MILAN, Tassotti: "Montolivo was back training today and we hope he’ll be okay for tomorrow"
- 17 May 17:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli keen on Di Santo
- 17 May 17:15 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Nasri sad after Mancini axe
- 17 May 17:10 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Tasci: "I could end my career here"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:50 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Suggestion for Bernard
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 16:40 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, Varela might be signed
- 17 May 16:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Diarra: "I never said to go away"
Due to the will former manager of his, David Moyes, Manchester United owners are ready to submit Everton the ultimate offer for purchasing English international left backwing Leighton Baines (28). Currently on a deal with Toffees until June 2015, the player is tracked by...
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus attacking midfielder Sebastian Giovinco, has declared: "He is still part...
Interviewed by Marca, Barcelona 26 year old forward Pedro has declared: "There have been many changements inside the team, but my intention...
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has declared about the possible interest for Manchester United 27 year old striker Wayne Rooney: "At the...
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes has declared: "Many people think that they can contact me because my contracy is...
Saint-Etienne 23 year old striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has declared: "I want to make an attentive evaluation about my future, I can...