BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 11 Dec 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Diego: "I won't join Atletico in January"
- 10 Dec 06:39 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Robben will end his career here"
- 06 Dec 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Aubameyang's agent: "He will remain for a long time"
- 05 Dec 06:39 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "No signings in January"
- 04 Dec 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Ter Stegen: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 03 Dec 06:39 WERDER, Dutt: "We are not seeking a goalkeeper"
- 02 Dec 06:39 SCHALKE, Meyer: "I am very happy here"
- 01 Dec 09:59 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "Barça? It's an old story"
- 30 Nov 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Voeller: "Brandt will join us"
- 28 Nov 06:39 BAYER, Hyypia: "It would be great to manage Liverpool"
- 27 Nov 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Diego: "Arsenal want me"
- 26 Nov 13:40 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Klopp: " I couldn't care less how the balls go in against Napoli"
- 26 Nov 06:57 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "We are not after Messi"
- 25 Nov 17:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge searching for a mole
- 25 Nov 13:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola vows to find Bayern mole
- 25 Nov 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Ter Stegen: "My future? We'll see.."
- 24 Nov 10:29 BAYERN, Summer: "No new signings in January, unless.."
- 23 Nov 06:59 SCHALKE 04, Draxler: "In January I won't leave"
- 22 Nov 06:39 BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Messi would be perfect for us"
- 21 Nov 06:39 BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "It would be great to sign Lewandowski"
- 20 Nov 06:30 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Nobody will leave"
- 19 Nov 06:39 MAGATH: Bayern and Borussia should not play in the Bundesliga"
- 17 Nov 09:29 BORUSSIA M., Dominguez: "Ter Stegen is ready for Barcelona"
- 16 Nov 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Piszczek: "I could end my career here"
- 15 Nov 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "Ter Stegen must make a decision"
- 14 Nov 06:39 BAYER, Hyppia: "Sam is important for us"
- 13 Nov 06:39 SCHALKE, Meyer: "I want to stay"
- 12 Nov 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Winterkorn: "I hope Diego will stay"
- 11 Nov 08:30 BAYERN, Ribery: "Zidane wanted me at Real"
- 10 Nov 10:27 WERDER, Selassie: "If I won't play more, I could leave"
- 09 Nov 06:59 HAMBURG, Adler: "I would like to play in the Champions League"
- 08 Nov 20:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Official report on Schweinsteiger surgery
- 08 Nov 09:15 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Klopp: "Arsenal can win Champions League!"
- 08 Nov 06:39 HERTHA, Sahar: "I hope to stay"
- 07 Nov 06:30 LEVERKUSEN, Donati's agent: "Moving to Germany the right choice"
- 06 Nov 17:45 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Reus: "It will be a tight and tense game"
- 06 Nov 17:15 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Klopp: "Small things will determine this game"
- 05 Nov 16:30 SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "We go to London to take something back with us"
- 05 Nov 06:30 BAYERN, Kroos: "I am in talks for a new contract, but.."
- 03 Nov 08:27 BAYERN, Ribery: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 02 Nov 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Diego: "I am happy here"
- 01 Nov 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Arango: "I want to end my career here"
- 30 Oct 06:39 BORUSSIA M., ter Stegen: "Honoured of Barça interest, but.."
- 29 Oct 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Reus: "I don't want to leave"
- 28 Oct 06:15 SCHALKE, Meyer: "Borussia was my first choice"
- 26 Oct 06:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Mlapa: "I could leave in January"
- 25 Oct 06:30 HANNOVER 96, Dufner: "If Zieler will receive an offer.."
- 24 Oct 14:45 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Grosskreutz on victory over Arsenal: "We deserved it. Great emotions on the action with Aubameyang and Lewandowski"
- 24 Oct 10:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Ribéry: "We kept it up for the whole 90 minutes"
- 24 Oct 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Hummels: "Barcelona? Nothing true about it"
- 11 Dec 07:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Gerrard out for at least six weeks
- 11 Dec 06:45 MONACO, Vasilyev: "Falcao is happy here"
- 11 Dec 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Diego: "I won't join Atletico in January"
- 11 Dec 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov: "I want to move back to Italy"
- 11 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Tissone's agent: "No contacts with Catania"
- 11 Dec 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are not after Kolarov"
- 10 Dec 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Chance for Kempf
- 10 Dec 23:17 ARGENTINA/ RACING, Idea Mutu
- 10 Dec 22:59 ITALY/ INTER, Possible swap with Eintracht
- 10 Dec 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Caruso Lombardi leaves Argentinos Jrs.
- 10 Dec 22:20 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Still keen on Iturbe
- 10 Dec 22:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Marcelo Moreno will come back
- 10 Dec 21:37 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Also PSG after Nainggolan
- 10 Dec 21:17 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Colo Colo confirm Tapia
- 10 Dec 20:59 ITALY/ INTER, Still keen on Bernat
- 10 Dec 20:39 CANADA/ OFFICIAL, Toronto sign Jackson
- 10 Dec 20:20 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Soriano and Renan wil stay
- 10 Dec 20:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Contacts for Pereyra
- 10 Dec 19:37 ITALY/ INTER, Chance for Montoya
- 10 Dec 19:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna towards Italy
- 10 Dec 18:59 BELARUS/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo sign Bangura
- 10 Dec 18:39 CHILE/ COLO COLO, Idea Lalinde
- 10 Dec 18:20 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Interest for Jonathan
- 10 Dec 18:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Rebic towards Novara
- 10 Dec 17:45 ARGENTINA/ ESTUDIANTES, Keen on Pereira
- 10 Dec 17:30 UAE/ AL-AHLI, Sprint for Kharja
- 10 Dec 17:15 FRANCE/ MONACO, Otamendi always closer
- 10 Dec 17:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brentford: Bees appoint McParland
- 10 Dec 16:45 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Larsson: "Deal talks on hold"
- 10 Dec 16:34 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on the new Dennis Bergkamp
- 10 Dec 16:15 AC MILAN, Allegri: "Muntari will be available tomorrow and De Sciglio is fit"
- 10 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez: "Arsenal is a very strong side"
- 10 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We’re focused on tomorrow"
- 10 Dec 15:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR: Benayoun signs short-term contract
- 10 Dec 15:00 PSG, Blanc: "We want to maintain our high standards and win"
- 10 Dec 14:46 FRANCE/ MONACO, Ranieri: "No problem with Falcao"
- 10 Dec 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Set to move away from the Nou Camp
- 10 Dec 14:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Makienok
- 10 Dec 14:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis: "I think now we're on a really good path"
- 10 Dec 13:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Coming second is not an option for us"
- 10 Dec 13:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Fucile observed by Nacional Montevideo
- 10 Dec 13:15 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Parma, Saponara from Ac Milan in January
- 10 Dec 13:01 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka out 6 months
- 10 Dec 12:45 ITALY/ JUVE, Ready the offer for Nainggolan
- 10 Dec 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Eto'o not ready to Toronto move
- 10 Dec 12:16 SPAIN/ BARCEONA, Contacts with Gundogan and Reus agents
- 10 Dec 12:04 FRANCE/ MONACO, Arrives contacts with City for Kompany
- 10 Dec 11:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting Lisbona: arrives Enoh Lewis
- 10 Dec 11:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu ready for Barça
- 10 Dec 11:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "It never enters my head to leave"
Interviewed by Sportmediaset, Manchester City wingback Aleksandar Kolarov has declared: "I have one-and-a-half years left on my contract with Manchester, I am playing and I am happy. One day I would like to come back in Italy, it will happen at the right moment. I...
Interviewed by Mediaset, Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has declared: "Kolarov is a high-skilled player, but there are no...
Interviewed by Itasportpress, Omar Lino Tissone, father and agent of Malaga midfielder Fernando Tissone, has declared: "Catania? Great...
Interviewed by Sportmediaset, Manchester City wingback Aleksandar Kolarov has declared: "I have one-and-a-half years left on my contract...
Interviewed by Cadena Cope, Wolfsburg midfielder Diego Ribas da Cunha has declared: "I know that Atletico de Madrid coach Diego Simeone...
Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev has declared about 26 year old striker Radamel Falcao: "He is happy here, he is very well at Monaco....