BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 24 Aug 16:48 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "In touch with Heung Min-Son for a long time"
- 24 Aug 11:30 BAYER LEVERKUSEN - Ballack: "Leverkusen back on track"
- 23 Aug 23:37 OFFICIAL - BAYER LEVERKUSEN sign DRAGOVIC
- 18 Aug 14:15 OFFICIAL - EINTRACHT Frankfurt sign HECTOR from Chelsea
- 17 Aug 23:20 OFFICIAL - Werder Bremen sign DELANEY
- 17 Aug 22:37 OFFICIAL - Milosevic joins DARMSTADT from Besiktas
- 17 Aug 21:20 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hübner: "We can't count on BAMBA ANDERSON for this season, and..."
- 13 Aug 17:56 BAYERN MUNICH boss Ancelotti backs up Schweinsteiger
- 11 Aug 14:16 WOLFSBURG ready to offer Zaza £3.8m per year
- 11 Aug 10:46 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT to sign CHELSEA defender Miazga on loan
- 09 Aug 22:27 BORUSSIA MGB are keen on the signing of Andreas Christensen
- 08 Aug 15:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Coman: "I'd love to keep playing here for many, many years"
- 05 Aug 21:03 OFFICIAL - Allan Rodrigues joins Hertha BSC from Liverpool
- 05 Aug 00:30 WOLFSBURG - Deal extension offered to 3 players
- 03 Aug 09:33 WERDER BREMA sign former WOLFSBURG Max Kruse
- 03 Aug 09:04 WOLFSBURG - Julian Draxler: “I want to leave Wolfsburg"
- 01 Aug 16:23 OFFICIAL - Latza extends for MAINZ
- 26 Jul 23:00 MAINZ & LEIPZIG keen on Morganella
- 24 Jul 13:32 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti: "Robben will be ready for the start of the season"
- 21 Jul 23:00 WOLFSBURG - Mayoral: "After 9 seasons at Real, I'm excited about the new chapter"
- 21 Jul 17:48 BAYERN MUNICH - Robben: "No plans to retire"
- 21 Jul 17:17 VIDEO NEWS - Robben on... Pep and Jose
- 21 Jul 14:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Gotze explains his return
- 19 Jul 18:03 PSV have shown interest in Tyrese Campbell
- 14 Jul 09:03 VfB STUTTGART sign Anto Grgic
- 12 Jul 12:42 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "SISSOKO was interested in us, but..."
- 21 Jun 13:15 OFFICIAL - Kobel extends for Hoffenheim
- 20 Jun 17:20 OFFICIAL - Augsburg sign Usami
- 13 Jun 17:26 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Zorc: "We'll decide about Mkhitaryan in a week"
- 11 Jun 10:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL - Augsburg sign Teigl
- 09 Jun 07:45 OFFICIAL - MAINZ 05 sign two players and announce one extension
- 05 Jun 20:22 GERMANY - Lowe: "We will have to see with Schweinsteiger"
- 26 May 17:46 BAYERN MUNICH - Rummenigge: "Gotze must make his own decision"
- 23 May 16:58 Borussia Dortmund, Mkhitaryan elected Bundesliga's best player
- 15 May 21:42 HAMBURG - sign American international Bobby Wood
- 14 May 21:34 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti will hold his first training session on 11 July
- 14 May 16:44 BUNDESLIGA: FINAL DAY SCORES
- 05 May 10:47 WOLFSBURG willing to keep Naldo
- 04 May 09:04 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Aubameyang: "A dream to play in Spain"
- 03 May 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Keen on Giroud
- 02 May 21:38 BUNDESLIGA - Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart - FULL TIME
- 02 May 15:53 WOLFSBURG - Mario Gomez in the spotlight
- 30 Apr 20:40 BUNDESLIGA - Final Scores
- 30 Apr 19:24 BUNDESLIGA - Leverkusen 2 - 1 Herta - FULL TIME
- 30 Apr 17:05 BUNDESLIGA: Leverkusen v Hertha Berlin Official Line-Ups
- 29 Apr 11:14 BORUSSIA DORTMUD - £80m budget
- 28 Apr 12:31 LEVERKUSEN - Leno to Barça?
- 28 Apr 09:17 WOLFSBURG - Allofs: "No reason to discuss over Hecking"
- 27 Apr 14:27 BAYERN MUNICH - Sanchez first target
- 27 Apr 12:13 BVB - Hummels official request
- 27 Apr 10:23 HOFFENHEIM - Werder Bremen keen on Grahl
- 27 Apr 09:48 HANNOVER - Kiyotake could leave
- 26 Apr 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Klopp keen on Horn
- 26 Apr 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Bendtner statement
- 22 Apr 09:35 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Hummels: "My future? I haven't decided yet. But i set a term, and I think about it every night"
- 21 Apr 09:42 MAINZ 05 - Approaching Tsintotas
- 21 Apr 07:00 BMG - Approaching Andre Hoffmann
- 20 Apr 10:05 BAYERN MUNICH - Neuer signs new deal
- 20 Apr 09:12 BVB - Ousmane Dembele: done deal?
- 17 Apr 17:26 Thorgan Hazard: Zidane used to be my idol, now its my brother Eden
- 13 Apr 10:38 DORTMUND - Eyes on Dahoud
- 10 Apr 19:22 BUNDESLIGA - Schalke 04 2 - 2 Borussia Dortmund
- 09 Apr 21:30 BUNDESLIGA - 29 fixtures Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 18:21 BUNDESLIGA / Bayern set to start talks for Marchisio
- 08 Apr 04:59 SCHALKE 04, Breitenreiter: "Sané? I think he wants to stay with anyway"
- 07 Apr 00:00 BAYERN MUNICH, From UK: Lewandowski suggests Götze to join Liverpool
- 03 Apr 23:06 Bundesliga - Sunday's Scores
- 02 Apr 22:31 BUNDESLIGA / Final Scores
- 02 Apr 19:41 BUNDESLIGA / BVB - WERDER: Final Score
- 01 Apr 20:42 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tuchel: "Mkhitaryan? The choice is his, I hope he'll stay with us"
- 01 Apr 17:32 BUNDESLIGA/KOLN, Top clubs are keen on Hector and he consider a summer move
- 31 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Watzke: "Aubameyang won't leave for less than 100 million euros"
- 30 Mar 13:32 BAYERN MUNICH - Lewandowski strikes new deal until 2021
- 28 Mar 10:39 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Arsenal in the race for Aubameyang
- 25 Mar 18:00 BAYER MUNICH - Xabi Alonso: "Guardiola is ahead of his time"
- 22 Mar 16:57 WERDER BREMEN, Djilobodji banned for the 'throat cutting' gesture
- 22 Mar 13:00 GERMANY - Kruse was expelled from the selection
- 20 Mar 22:45 FC AUGSBURG 1 BORUSSIA DORTMUND 3
- 19 Mar 17:00 BUNDESLIGA - Bayern Munich getting used to suffer
- 17 Mar 09:40 BAYERN MUNICH - Guardiola: "It was a great game for everyone"
- 17 Mar 09:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bernat: "I'll miss Pep, but another great is coming"
- 17 Mar 07:20 SCHALKE 04, Neustädter eyed by Inter and Arsenal
- 16 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, English surveys on Hradecky
- 16 Mar 10:40 WOLFSBURG – Bendtner suspended
- 14 Mar 16:58 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Benatia: We'll go through next stage. We want to win the league"
- 14 Mar 08:45 MAINZ 05, Donati: "Napoli? I wouldn't think twice about joining them"
- 14 Mar 07:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Aubameyang: "PSG? I should better try something new, like Spanish football"
- 13 Mar 16:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bayern Munich make easy work of Werder Bremen
- 12 Mar 23:59 BUNDESLIGA: Final Scores
- 12 Mar 23:50 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Götze: "Focus just on the team. To come back is always beautiful"
- 12 Mar 18:10 BAYERN MUNICH - Ribéry not moving for all the tea in China
- 12 Mar 00:20 WOLFSBURG - Hecking: "We deserved the defeat"
- 11 Mar 22:15 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Wendell: "Real Madrid? I'd join them by foot"
- 11 Mar 09:15 Dortmund - Too good for Tottenham
- 11 Mar 08:00 SCHALKE 04 - Insecure future for Belhanda
- 09 Mar 20:00 BUNDESLIGA / Tuchel cool on Gündogan camp's Guardiola talks
- 06 Mar 11:46 OFFICIAL - Eintracht Frankfurt sack manager Veh
- 03 Mar 16:45 BUNDESLIGA / Uli Hoeness swaps prison for football
- 03 Mar 10:05 Paderborn - Stefan Effenberg fired
- 27 Feb 13:00 Dortmund - Hummels excited by Tottenham draw
Javier Manquillo is currently having a medical at the Academy of Light, Sunderland have just confirmed the deal on their official Twitter account.
Paul Bracewell, Moyes' assistant, has announced the 22-year-old will join the Black Cats in the next few hours.
With a starting berth and a promising opening to the campaign already under his belt after Saturday’s victory over Fiorentina, Mario Lemina has
Gareth Bale says he will never forget 2016, after the Wales international tasted both club and international success. The attacker helped Real to Cham
Interviewed by Sport Bild, German international midfielder/winger Bastian Schweinsteiger (32), asked about the chance for him to leave Red Devils, tho
Interviewed by France Football, French-Malian right-back Djibril Sidibé (24), who joined AS Monaco from Lille little less than a mont
Playing for Tottenham just since last season and currently on a deal with Spurs until June 2020, South Korean international winger/forward&n