BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 05 Feb 16:47 'Manchester City move will not distract Bayern' says Guardiola
- 04 Feb 12:40 Januzaj couldn't settle at Dortmund
- 01 Feb 18:53 OFFICIAL - Bayern Munich sign Tasci on loan
- 01 Feb 15:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / GERMANY: The Serbian center Milos Veljkovic signed with Werder Bremen until 2019
- 30 Jan 15:23 SCHALKE 04 - Interest for AC Milan's Luiz Adriano
- 29 Jan 22:01 BAYERN MUNICH - Strong interest for Marseilles' Nkoulou
- 28 Jan 16:18 Monchengladbach, Eberl on Xhaka: "He won't leave in January"
- 28 Jan 13:10 Dortmund midfield trio impressing in Germany
- 13 Jan 19:02 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery on Chelsea interest
- 04 Jan 16:27 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Signing Osimhen won't be easy"
- 21 Dec 11:57 BAYERN MUNICH/ OFFICIAL, Rummenigge announces: "Ancelotti will replace Pep after season ends"
- 18 Dec 23:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep: "My mind is made up"
- 16 Dec 14:05 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep decision next week
- 14 Dec 07:00 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Völler: "Kiessling? He's a wonderful guy. He's staying put, we rely on him a lot"
- 03 Dec 08:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery back on the pitch after almost a year: "A very emotional and fun day"
- 01 Dec 13:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Matthaus about Muller: "He should definitely stay"
- 24 Nov 12:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 21 Nov 00:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller: "Facing Schalke won't be easy, we could have been luckier after such a hard NT break"
- 15 Nov 02:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "The world is fucked up right now"
- 10 Nov 22:07 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola future unclear
- 05 Nov 08:57 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola after 5-1: "Very good game against over Arsenal, but we conceded too many breaks"
- 03 Nov 16:59 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Arsenal want to attack, but it's difficult against us"
- 03 Nov 07:30 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Schubert before Juventus clash: "Me being The Wizard? I've got no magic wand and spells"
- 02 Nov 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, PSV 'must do things different' against Wolfsburg
- 02 Nov 20:20 HAMBURG, Labbadia: "Upset for losing against Hannover. The defeat is not on Lasogga and Schipplock"
- 29 Oct 08:59 INGOLSTADT 04, Marvin Matip to face his brother in Schalke: "Proud of him having become better than me"
- 28 Oct 22:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Players want Pep to stay
- 28 Oct 08:29 DARMSTADT, Captain Sulu after DfB-Pokal victory over Hannover: "They were good, but overall we deserved it"
- 27 Oct 07:57 SCHALKE 04, Aogo: "Our fans will push us anyways"
- 26 Oct 14:39 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Medical report on Jedvaj
- 26 Oct 13:00 GERMANY,Geis apologises for horror tackle on Hahn
- 24 Oct 03:11 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Robben set for Bayern return"
- 21 Oct 07:30 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Johnson: "We want to defeat Juventus by playing with courage and grit"
- 20 Oct 11:37 BAYERN MUNICH, Lahm before CL clash against Arsenal: "London brings back happy memories. Gunners are experiencing a lot of pressure"
- 19 Oct 07:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Müller on victories record: "That will be hard to match. Exciting game until the end"
- 16 Oct 07:59 BAYERN MUNICH, Javi Martinez: "Good to be back. My new role? I'm flexible"
- 15 Oct 07:29 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hoffmann before Mainz clash: "Facing my previous team will be nice. Tuchel is a great manager. Bayern? They'll play in their own league"
- 14 Oct 07:29 HERTHA BERLIN, Kalou: "We are playing a nice-looking kind of football. Ibisevic? Skilled player and great guy"
- 12 Oct 07:29 BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH, Bad injury for Herrmann
- 09 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Götze: "Never thought about leaving Bayern"
- 07 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Soon we'll talk about Guardiola new deal"
- 06 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "No more offers for Muller"
- 02 Oct 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We want to keep Sanč"
- 01 Oct 21:00 HAMBURG, Holtby: "Schalke scored when we were at our best. Hertha gained stability"
- 01 Oct 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "It's good for us that Boateng trains with Milan"
- 29 Sep 15:04 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Great opportunity for us. But let's be careful against Zagreb, they defeated Arsenal"
- 29 Sep 13:43 CHAMPIONS, Bayern- Dinamo Zagreb Possible lineups Javi Martínez available
- 29 Sep 07:27 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We couldn't keep De Bruyne"
- 28 Sep 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Hazard: "Happy with Chelsea exit"
- 24 Sep 13:20 FC KOELN, Gerhardt: "Balanced match against Hertha, but they use their chances. Now let's make things right at RheinEnergieStadion"
- 23 Sep 08:39 HANNOVER, Kind: "We are confident in Frontzeck, but.."
- 22 Sep 07:59 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "We wanted Favre to stay"
- 21 Sep 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Shaqiri and Inler were too expensive for us"
- 18 Sep 14:15 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Special Preview - Castro and Kampl recent traded ones
- 18 Sep 08:27 SCHALKE, Boateng's agent: "He won't move before January"
- 18 Sep 06:59 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "It was a very demanding game, defense-wise
- 17 Sep 17:44 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BAYERN MUNICH (Group F), Müller: "I've been a bit lucky in our first goal's maneuver"
- 17 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Premier League can't buy the best players"
- 17 Sep 01:48 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BATE BORISOV (Group E), Chernik: "Concerned for losing to Bayer, proud to be in the league"
- 17 Sep 01:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - OLYMPIAKOS (Group F), Karembeu: "We didn't take advantage of our chances against Bayern"
- 17 Sep 00:49 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BAYER LEVERKUSEN (Group E), Chicharito Hernandez: "Coach Schmidt makes me believe in myself"
- 16 Sep 14:44 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - WOLFSBURG (Group B), match-winner Draxler: "Happy for my goal, but we should have put it to bed before"
- 16 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Ribery will be back before the end of the year"
- 16 Sep 01:08 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D), Favre: "We made it easy for Seville"
- 15 Sep 23:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - CSKA MOSCOW (Group B), Slutsky: "Wolfsburg surprise us a bit, tactics-wise"
- 14 Sep 11:27 BAYERN MUNICH, Hamann: "Pep under pressure"
- 14 Sep 07:59 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "Exciting victory over Hannover, but we aren't fully satisfied"
- 11 Sep 09:27 WOLFSBURG, Draxler: "I wasn't ready for Juve"
- 10 Sep 08:57 BAYERN, Lahm: "I will end my career here"
- 10 Sep 00:59 WOLFSBURG, Träsch: "Playing at Ingolstadt will be a home game for me"
- 09 Sep 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We had no problems with Perisic"
- 07 Sep 16:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Badstuber: "I’m relearning the feeling of being out there on the pitch"
- 04 Sep 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We were not after Blaszczykowski"
- 03 Sep 16:37 SCHALKE 04, Breitenreiter: "Draxler's trade to Wolfsburg? We've lost our best player"
- 03 Sep 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Hernandez: "It was easy to choose this club"
- 02 Sep 08:45 BAYERN, Xabi Alonso: "Too early to talk about my new contract"
- 31 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "No agreement for Draxler yet"
- 30 Aug 11:29 BORUSSIA, Tuchel: "Kuba? Everything can happen"
- 28 Aug 09:57 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Perisic has a high evaluation"
- 27 Aug 08:57 BORUSSIA D., Großkreutz's agent: "No contacts with Fiorentina"
- 21 Aug 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Draxler won't be a last-minute departure"
- 20 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Sammer: "Muller is unsellable"
- 18 Aug 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Matip's new deal is our priority"
- 14 Aug 09:27 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Götze will stay"
- 13 Aug 08:57 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "I can't imagine a good offer from Inter for Perisic"
- 12 Aug 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "He will leave only if.."
- 11 Aug 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Schade: "Aranguiz about to join"
- 10 Aug 06:59 MAINZ, Karius' agent turns out transfer rumors
- 09 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, De Bruyne's agent: "He could sign a new contract"
- 08 Aug 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Inler? Not now"
- 07 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Juve have made no offers for Goetze"
- 06 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "I think Benatia and Gotze will stay"
- 05 Aug 06:59 JUVENTUS, Draxler's agent: "We are waiting for Juve"
- 04 Aug 07:27 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Fiorentina are after Ayhan"
- 03 Aug 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "I expect De Bruyne to stay"
- 01 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I haven't decided if I will extend my contract"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We want to keep all our best players"
- 30 Jul 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Howedes: "I'm sure Draxler will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Perisic's agent: "He's about to join Inter"
- 07 Feb 12:30 Barça demands respect after harassment to Neymar
- 06 Feb 22:31 OFFICIAL - Leicester City, Vardy extends until 2019
- 06 Feb 21:35 PREMIER LEAGUE - 25 fixture - Results and scorers, Sat 6 Feb 2016
- 06 Feb 20:46 SCOTLAND - Wonderful Aberdeen join Celtic on top of the table
- 06 Feb 20:37 INTER - Lavezzi's dream has gone: El Pocho chose Shanghai Shenhua
- 06 Feb 16:17 Leicester City fly into 6 point lead at the top
- 06 Feb 16:00 Townsend: "I was extremely emotional leaving Spurs"
- 06 Feb 15:51 Ashley Cole: "I didn't come here to sit on the beach"
- 06 Feb 15:42 Klopp to miss Liverpool game
- 06 Feb 15:32 Eddie Howe: "I am full of respect for Arsene"
- 06 Feb 15:30 Juventus is interested in a possible dismissal from Chelsea
- 06 Feb 14:45 TRANSFER MARKET / LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Zidane want Hazard
- 06 Feb 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / LA LIGA / Atlético Madrid: El Nińo could cross the pond to play in the MLF
- 06 Feb 14:00 TRANSFER MARKET / PREMIER LEAGUE & LA LIGA: Mourinho rejected Real Madrid twice
- 06 Feb 13:32 Juventus – Dybala wanted by Bayern Munich and Barcelona
- 06 Feb 13:18 Real Madrid – keen to re-sign Alvaro Morata
- 06 Feb 13:08 WATFORD - Ighalo rejected super offers from China
- 06 Feb 13:04 Benfica reject Man United offer for Sanches: his value is €60m ( Ł48m)
- 06 Feb 13:00 GALATASARAY - Jiangsu Suning bid on Sneijder
- 06 Feb 12:57 Arsenal target Norwich City's starlet Todd Cantwell
- 06 Feb 12:39 OFFICIAL - Corinthians, ex Bordeaux's André signs for four years
- 06 Feb 00:39 OFFICIAL - Middlesbrough, goalkeeper Mejias extends until 2018
- 06 Feb 00:19 OFFICIAL - Boca Juniors, Insaurralde is back. Marín at Camoranesi's Tigre
- 05 Feb 23:55 GALATASARAY - Burak Yilmaz going to China, Zaccheroni is waiting for him
- 05 Feb 23:48 OFFICIAL - Sevilla, Kakuta sold to Hebei fortune
- 05 Feb 17:48 Spurs better off without Kane?
- 05 Feb 17:25 Mourinho next to be targeted by Chinese Super League
- 05 Feb 17:14 Hiddink believes good time are ahead for Chelsea
- 05 Feb 16:58 Far East a threat to Europe's top leagues?
- 05 Feb 16:47 'Manchester City move will not distract Bayern' says Guardiola
- 05 Feb 16:35 Pellegrini: 'Leicester not the biggest game of the season'
- 05 Feb 16:26 New TV deal will not lower ticket prices says Wenger
- 05 Feb 16:19 Howe's praise for in-form Boruc
- 05 Feb 16:11 Crystal Palace have worst form in Europe
- 05 Feb 13:00 SLOVAKIA/ OFFICIAL, Slovan Bratislava sign Under-19 NT captain Kopicar
- 05 Feb 12:47 Arsenal, Wenger: "I’m happy for Benik Afobe"
- 05 Feb 12:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Barnsley sign Harris
- 05 Feb 12:30 SLOVAKIA/ OFFICIAL, Chinese youngster Cong Huang AS Trencin
- 05 Feb 12:15 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Kayserispor sign William
- 05 Feb 12:00 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE: Willing to sign Markovic on a full basis, but Klopp wants him back at Liverpool
- 05 Feb 12:00 LA LIGA / REAL BETIS BALÓN PIE: Damiao the new player
- 05 Feb 11:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Zaza's agent: "He definitely doesn't want to leave"
- 05 Feb 11:31 Atletico Madrid - Three players targeted by Chinese clubs
- 05 Feb 11:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, From Spain: duel to Barça on Marquinhos
- 05 Feb 11:22 Valencia - Rafa Benitez set to oust Gary Neville
- 05 Feb 11:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fulham sign Rohan Ince
- 05 Feb 11:14 Arsenal - Tomas Rosicky ruled out for further 12 weeks
- 05 Feb 11:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, In touch with Ajax for Bazoer
- 05 Feb 10:59 Manchester United - Mourinho confident of Job
- 05 Feb 10:48 Arsenal - Wenger’s pre-Bournemouth press conference in short.
One day after several media harass the father of Neymar at the door of a club where he was celebrating his 24th birthday, the FC Barcelona issued yesterday at 21.10 h. a statement demanding respect for the employees of the club when they doesn't want to make statements or are
As reported on Juventus official site, 28 years old Uruguayan defensive all-rounder underwent a series of tests to ascertain the full extent of h
One day after several media harass the father of Neymar at the door of a club where he was celebrating his 24th birthday, the FC Barcelona issued yest
The round-up for Premier League 25 fixture
Results and Scorers for Saturday 6 February 2016 matches
- Manchester City v Leicester City
Girondins Bordeaux has announced the signing of Uruguayan Mauro Arambarri and Brazilian Malcom.
Pep Guardiola believes the announcement of his move to Manchester City in the summer will not affect him or Bayern Munich this season.