BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 16 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "We want to keep Kroos, but it's up to him"
- 15 Apr 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "I think I'll be here next year too"
- 11 Apr 06:30 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Fahrmann going nowhere"
- 10 Apr 17:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "The Champions League is always a little bit funny"
- 10 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Kroos' agent: "Here at least until 2015"
- 09 Apr 06:39 HAMBURG, Van der Vaart: "Ajax is my club, but.."
- 08 Apr 06:39 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Barnetta's future? At the end of the season"
- 07 Apr 17:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Problems for Shaqiri
- 07 Apr 06:30 NUREMBERG, Drmic: "I can't assure that Drmic will stay"
- 06 Apr 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "Rodriguez going nowhere"
- 05 Apr 06:59 SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "Fährmann won't leave"
- 04 Apr 06:30 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "Ter Stegen will leave in any case"
- 03 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Kroos: "Old Trafford is beautiful, but.."
- 02 Apr 21:17 BAYERN MUNICH: Rummenigge's message to Arsenal, Juventus and AS Roma: "No doubt on Mandzukic staying with us"
- 02 Apr 08:59 BORUSSIA D. Klopp: "Real? Lewandowski's absence is a pity for us"
- 02 Apr 06:30 NUREMBERG, Bader: "No offers for Drmic"
- 01 Apr 15:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Maybe Sir Alex did offer me job"
- 01 Apr 06:30 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Kroos going nowhere"
- 31 Mar 14:00 SCHALKE 04, message to Arsenal from Heldt: "Draxler will play for us next year"
- 31 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "We had lots of competitors for Hahn"
- 30 Mar 07:57 HOFFENHEIM, Rosen: "Firmino going nowhere"
- 29 Mar 06:59 EINTRACHT, Hubner: "We will try to keep Joselu"
- 28 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Aubameyang's agent: "Napoli? Too late"
- 27 Mar 06:30 FREIBURG, Mehmedi: "I want to stay"
- 26 Mar 06:39 AUGSBURG, Weinzierl: "No contacts with Eintracht"
- 25 Mar 06:30 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Mandzukic will honour his contract"
- 24 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Shaqiri: "Never said I want to leave"
- 23 Mar 07:27 AUGSBURG, Vogt's agent: "Yes, Hamburg are after him"
- 22 Mar 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I think Kroos will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "I've been tracking Jung for years"
- 20 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Shaqiri's agent: "Not only Inter after him"
- 19 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA, Zorc: "Dzeko? Hot air"
- 18 Mar 06:39 HANNOVER, Kind: "No chances to keep Diouf"
- 17 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I want to stay for at least three years"
- 16 Mar 07:27 BORUSSIA D., Watzke: "Soon a decision about Gundogan"
- 15 Mar 07:27 AUGSBURG, Reuter: "We'll try to keep Hahn"
- 14 Mar 06:30 HAMBURG, Badelj's agent: "He is focused on his club, but.."
- 13 Mar 06:30 WERDER, Prödl: "Either I will renew or I will leave"
- 12 Mar 12:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "We just have that much quality in our squad"
- 12 Mar 06:45 BAYERN, Robben: "I am happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 10 Mar 06:39 HERTHA, Kraft: "I could renew"
- 09 Mar 07:27 WERDER, Eichin: "Garcia is important for us"
- 08 Mar 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldy: "Firmino? Excellent player"
- 07 Mar 06:45 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We are not after Lasogga"
- 06 Mar 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "Stoke is my first choice"
- 05 Mar 06:45 BAYERN, Kroos: "No hurry about my new contract"
- 04 Mar 12:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Thiago: "I will only get better here"
- 04 Mar 06:39 BAYER, Hyppia: "No fear for my job"
- 03 Mar 06:37 FREIBURG, Ginter: "Honoured of United interest, but.."
- 16 Apr 17:14 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Vaduz: arrives Steven Lang
- 16 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Borja Valero: "Ready to sign a deal extension in 5 minutes"
- 16 Apr 16:45 ENGLAND/ WOLVERHAMPTON, Trying to confirm Bakary Sako
- 16 Apr 16:30 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, All ready for Mangala
- 16 Apr 16:15 ENGLAND/ WBA, Amalfitano observed by Hull City
- 16 Apr 15:57 INTER, Juan Jesus: "Will I go under the knife? No, because it's only the collateral ligament"
- 16 Apr 15:45 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Thinking about Robles
- 16 Apr 15:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Galliani: "We always have to thank Silvio Berlusconi for all of genius"
- 16 Apr 15:00 JUVENTUS & TORINO, A new German suitor for Immobile
- 16 Apr 14:45 EVERTON & INTER, New duel for Xhaka
- 16 Apr 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: attempt for Mandzukic ready
- 16 Apr 14:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Weighing up 6 million euros offer for Gilardino
- 16 Apr 14:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Negotiations on Dzeko's renewal started
- 16 Apr 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Fabianski trying to persuade Wenger making him stay as a regular
- 16 Apr 13:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Back for Rakitic
- 16 Apr 13:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Chances for André Ayew
- 16 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Approaching Nico Lopez
- 16 Apr 12:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos' agent: "No offer from United, he won't move at least until the end of next season"
- 16 Apr 12:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Keita set to extend: temporary no to Arsenal and Inter
- 16 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Increasing chances to sign Giaccherini
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 11:45 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, 3 suitors for Livermore's future
- 16 Apr 11:30 CHELSEA, AS MONACO & ATLETICO MADRID: 3-fold duel for Icardi ready
- 16 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL: Epic battle for Cuadrado thrown to Bayern, Juventus and PSG
- 16 Apr 11:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio keen on signing Quagliarella, but he wants out from Italy
- 16 Apr 10:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, From Italy: done for Gonalons, announcement expected in May
- 16 Apr 10:30 FRANCE/ AJACCIO, Ochoa's agent: "AC Milan submitted him an offer"
- 16 Apr 10:15 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Eyes on former Arsenal youngster Nordtveidt
- 16 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, 4 present scenarios for Giovinco's future
- 16 Apr 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ander Bardaji extends for Real Sociedad
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Decisive move for Kone ready
- 16 Apr 09:00 FRANCE/ NICE, 2 Serie A suitors for Pejcinovic
- 16 Apr 08:39 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Nkansah set to join
- 16 Apr 08:19 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Eyes on Del Prete
- 16 Apr 08:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vágner Mancini is Botafogo new coach
- 16 Apr 07:40 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Furth sign Wutz
- 16 Apr 07:17 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Wilmots will train the NT until 2018
- 16 Apr 06:57 PSG, Alex: "In two weeks I will sign a new contract"
- 16 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "We want to keep Kroos, but it's up to him"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 16 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Giaretta: "No contacts with Inter for Basta and Danilo"
- 15 Apr 23:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Anelka won't join Atletico MG
- 15 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, 5 clubs after Calhanoglu
- 15 Apr 22:59 BRAZIL/ INTERNACIONAL, Dreaming Sandro's comeback
- 15 Apr 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Rugani
- 15 Apr 22:20 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER, Attempt for Macheda
- 15 Apr 22:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Mitrovic
- 15 Apr 21:37 ARGENTINA/ ARSENAL, Palermo will be the new coach
According to what reported by Daily Express, Arsenal management are ready to try signing Croatian international striker Mario Mandzukic (27), who might leave Bayern Munich on a full basis or stay put. Currently on a deal with Bavarian titans until June 2016, former...
With a bit more free time on his hands – therapy aside – since being sidelined with a knee injury, Juan Jesus took the opportunity...
Inteviewed by Onda Cero, Atletico de Madrid coach Diego Simeone has declared about Chelsea 30 year old forward Fernando Torres: "Of course...
Capable to score a double against West Ham, Lukas Podolski is one of the subjects mentioned by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger during his...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Interviewed by globoesporte, PSG defender Alex has declared: "I have always said that I am very happy in Paris and I think that I will...