BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 23 May 16:58 Borussia Dortmund, Mkhitaryan elected Bundesliga's best player
- 15 May 21:42 HAMBURG - sign American international Bobby Wood
- 14 May 21:34 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti will hold his first training session on 11 July
- 14 May 16:44 BUNDESLIGA: FINAL DAY SCORES
- 05 May 10:47 WOLFSBURG willing to keep Naldo
- 04 May 09:04 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Aubameyang: "A dream to play in Spain"
- 03 May 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Keen on Giroud
- 02 May 21:38 BUNDESLIGA - Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart - FULL TIME
- 02 May 15:53 WOLFSBURG - Mario Gomez in the spotlight
- 30 Apr 20:40 BUNDESLIGA - Final Scores
- 30 Apr 19:24 BUNDESLIGA - Leverkusen 2 - 1 Herta - FULL TIME
- 30 Apr 17:05 BUNDESLIGA: Leverkusen v Hertha Berlin Official Line-Ups
- 29 Apr 11:14 BORUSSIA DORTMUD - Ł80m budget
- 28 Apr 12:31 LEVERKUSEN - Leno to Barça?
- 28 Apr 09:17 WOLFSBURG - Allofs: "No reason to discuss over Hecking"
- 27 Apr 14:27 BAYERN MUNICH - Sanchez first target
- 27 Apr 12:13 BVB - Hummels official request
- 27 Apr 10:23 HOFFENHEIM - Werder Bremen keen on Grahl
- 27 Apr 09:48 HANNOVER - Kiyotake could leave
- 26 Apr 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Klopp keen on Horn
- 26 Apr 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Bendtner statement
- 22 Apr 09:35 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Hummels: "My future? I haven't decided yet. But i set a term, and I think about it every night"
- 21 Apr 09:42 MAINZ 05 - Approaching Tsintotas
- 21 Apr 07:00 BMG - Approaching Andre Hoffmann
- 20 Apr 10:05 BAYERN MUNICH - Neuer signs new deal
- 20 Apr 09:12 BVB - Ousmane Dembele: done deal?
- 17 Apr 17:26 Thorgan Hazard: Zidane used to be my idol, now its my brother Eden
- 13 Apr 10:38 DORTMUND - Eyes on Dahoud
- 10 Apr 19:22 BUNDESLIGA - Schalke 04 2 - 2 Borussia Dortmund
- 09 Apr 21:30 BUNDESLIGA - 29 fixtures Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 18:21 BUNDESLIGA / Bayern set to start talks for Marchisio
- 08 Apr 04:59 SCHALKE 04, Breitenreiter: "Sané? I think he wants to stay with anyway"
- 07 Apr 00:00 BAYERN MUNICH, From UK: Lewandowski suggests Götze to join Liverpool
- 03 Apr 23:06 Bundesliga - Sunday's Scores
- 02 Apr 22:31 BUNDESLIGA / Final Scores
- 02 Apr 19:41 BUNDESLIGA / BVB - WERDER: Final Score
- 01 Apr 20:42 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tuchel: "Mkhitaryan? The choice is his, I hope he'll stay with us"
- 01 Apr 17:32 BUNDESLIGA/KOLN, Top clubs are keen on Hector and he consider a summer move
- 31 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Watzke: "Aubameyang won't leave for less than 100 million euros"
- 30 Mar 13:32 BAYERN MUNICH - Lewandowski strikes new deal until 2021
- 28 Mar 10:39 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Arsenal in the race for Aubameyang
- 25 Mar 18:00 BAYER MUNICH - Xabi Alonso: "Guardiola is ahead of his time"
- 22 Mar 16:57 WERDER BREMEN, Djilobodji banned for the 'throat cutting' gesture
- 22 Mar 13:00 GERMANY - Kruse was expelled from the selection
- 20 Mar 22:45 FC AUGSBURG 1 BORUSSIA DORTMUND 3
- 19 Mar 17:00 BUNDESLIGA - Bayern Munich getting used to suffer
- 17 Mar 09:40 BAYERN MUNICH - Guardiola: "It was a great game for everyone"
- 17 Mar 09:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bernat: "I'll miss Pep, but another great is coming"
- 17 Mar 07:20 SCHALKE 04, Neustädter eyed by Inter and Arsenal
- 16 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, English surveys on Hradecky
- 16 Mar 10:40 WOLFSBURG – Bendtner suspended
- 14 Mar 16:58 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Benatia: We'll go through next stage. We want to win the league"
- 14 Mar 08:45 MAINZ 05, Donati: "Napoli? I wouldn't think twice about joining them"
- 14 Mar 07:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Aubameyang: "PSG? I should better try something new, like Spanish football"
- 13 Mar 16:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bayern Munich make easy work of Werder Bremen
- 12 Mar 23:59 BUNDESLIGA: Final Scores
- 12 Mar 23:50 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Götze: "Focus just on the team. To come back is always beautiful"
- 12 Mar 18:10 BAYERN MUNICH - Ribéry not moving for all the tea in China
- 12 Mar 00:20 WOLFSBURG - Hecking: "We deserved the defeat"
- 11 Mar 22:15 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Wendell: "Real Madrid? I'd join them by foot"
- 11 Mar 09:15 Dortmund - Too good for Tottenham
- 11 Mar 08:00 SCHALKE 04 - Insecure future for Belhanda
- 09 Mar 20:00 BUNDESLIGA / Tuchel cool on Gündogan camp's Guardiola talks
- 06 Mar 11:46 OFFICIAL - Eintracht Frankfurt sack manager Veh
- 03 Mar 16:45 BUNDESLIGA / Uli Hoeness swaps prison for football
- 03 Mar 10:05 Paderborn - Stefan Effenberg fired
- 27 Feb 13:00 Dortmund - Hummels excited by Tottenham draw
- 24 Feb 12:26 Leverkusen - Boss banned for 3 games
- 24 Feb 11:30 Bayern Munich - Guardiola cares only about the mentality
- 22 Feb 15:37 OFFICIAL - Schalke 04, Heidel is the new sport director
- 21 Feb 20:30 BUNDESLIGA / Aubameyang keeps Dortmund in contention
- 20 Feb 13:15 BUNDESLIGA / BAYERN MUNICH: Ribéry and Götze return to face Darmstadt
- 20 Feb 10:51 OFFICIAL - Olympiacos, Diamankatos permanently moves to Karlsruher
- 17 Feb 15:00 Boateng eyes return to fitness
- 15 Feb 17:42 OFFICIAL - Borussia Dortmund sign Merino until 2021
- 15 Feb 11:00 GERMANY / Augsburg 1 - Bayern Munich 3: Lewandowski's top scorer with 21 goals in Bundesliga
- 14 Feb 12:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / Bayern Munchen: A possible dismissal of Guardiola
- 11 Feb 15:40 Hoffenheim - 28-year-old Nagelsmann appointed head coach
- 10 Feb 18:42 HOFFENHEIM - Stevens: "I quit for a cardiac arrhythmnia "
- 10 Feb 16:16 Guardiola: "Lewandowski is the most professional player I've met"
- 10 Feb 13:13 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti is in town to start to work on the next team
- 10 Feb 12:26 OFFICIAL - Schalke 04, Benedikt Höwedes extends
- 10 Feb 12:25 HOFFENHEIM - Steven resigns
- 10 Feb 12:18 BAYERN MUNICH - Corluka rejected the transfer
- 10 Feb 11:25 Dortmund's tennis ball protest
- 09 Feb 14:40 Bayern Munich - Pep Guardiola praises Lewandowski
- 09 Feb 11:30 BUNDESLIGA / Bayern Munchen: Ribéry: "I know that I can go back to being the old Ribéry"
- 05 Feb 15:47 'Manchester City move will not distract Bayern' says Guardiola
- 04 Feb 11:40 Januzaj couldn't settle at Dortmund
- 01 Feb 17:53 OFFICIAL - Bayern Munich sign Tasci on loan
- 01 Feb 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / GERMANY: The Serbian center Milos Veljkovic signed with Werder Bremen until 2019
- 30 Jan 14:23 SCHALKE 04 - Interest for AC Milan's Luiz Adriano
- 29 Jan 21:01 BAYERN MUNICH - Strong interest for Marseilles' Nkoulou
- 28 Jan 15:18 Monchengladbach, Eberl on Xhaka: "He won't leave in January"
- 28 Jan 12:10 Dortmund midfield trio impressing in Germany
- 13 Jan 18:02 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery on Chelsea interest
- 04 Jan 15:27 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Signing Osimhen won't be easy"
- 21 Dec 10:57 BAYERN MUNICH/ OFFICIAL, Rummenigge announces: "Ancelotti will replace Pep after season ends"
- 18 Dec 22:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep: "My mind is made up"
- 16 Dec 13:05 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep decision next week
- 24 May 17:58 Glasgow Rangers, Barton: "Irrelevant all other offers received"
- 24 May 17:52 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Santos renews for Sporting Braga
- 24 May 17:41 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'm ready to sell Milan to Chinese"
- 24 May 17:36 AS ROMA, Iago Falqué might be the key for signing Bruno Peres
- 24 May 17:24 Ancelotti: "Mourinho is one of the best, is perfect for Manchester United"
- 24 May 17:21 WEST HAM, Deal with Besiktas: Gokhan Töre about to join
- 24 May 17:17 Torino, for the midfield like Empoli player Diousse'
- 24 May 17:16 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Karius
- 24 May 17:12 ENGLAND/ BOURNEMOUTH, Approaching Milosevic
- 24 May 16:55 OGC NICE, Favre is the new OGC Nice manager
- 24 May 16:12 SWANSEA - Eder moves to Lille
- 24 May 15:32 MANCHESTER UNITED - Woodward meets Mourinho's agent
- 24 May 15:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Deal for Gundogan close
- 24 May 14:30 HAMBURG, Rudnevs might be joining Darmstadt
- 24 May 14:13 LAZIO, Suggestion for Albanian international Ajeti
- 24 May 13:57 STOKE CITY to keep Marko Arnautovic
- 24 May 13:46 ATLETICO MADRID - Koke is eager to stay
- 24 May 13:33 CHELSEA - Begovic: "Terry has presence, his extension is very important"
- 24 May 13:14 EVERTON weighing up a huge bid for Hart
- 24 May 12:59 MANCHESTER UNITED - De Gea wants to stay
- 24 May 12:45 FIORENTINA, Keen on Süle
- 24 May 12:30 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Eyes on veteran goalie Drobny
- 24 May 12:15 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Eyes on Sunjic
- 24 May 12:00 JUVENTUS, Suggestion for N'Koulou
- 24 May 11:47 SCHALKE 04, Giefer likely to leave
- 24 May 11:33 SAMPDORIA, A new contract likely to be offered to Diakité
- 24 May 11:18 LEICESTER to offer Robert Huth a new deal
- 24 May 11:01 CELTIC - Strachan: "Rodgers is a great appointment"
- 24 May 10:58 Tottenham - Calleri agreement
- 24 May 10:47 SOUTHAMPTON keeping tabs on Simone Zaza
- 24 May 10:33 CHELSEA join the chase to sign Medhi Benatia
- 24 May 10:21 Everton - Lukaku want come back Chelsea
- 24 May 10:13 CRYSTAL PALACE set to place a bid for Demba Ba
- 24 May 09:58 BAYERN MUNICH - Hummels: "Leaving Borussia was very difficult"
- 24 May 09:57 Liverpool: Doctor for Karius
- 24 May 09:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Disappointed to leave, it has been an honour"
- 24 May 09:40 BREAKING NEWS - Josč Mourinho has left his house
- 24 May 09:40 Manchester United: "Giggs poised"
- 24 May 09:23 Leicester: magic clause for Vardy
- 24 May 09:20 LYON - To appoint Houllier as general manager
- 24 May 09:02 INTER MILAN - Zanetti: "Simeone won't join us"
- 24 May 08:46 LAZIO, Rich renewal offer submitted to Biglia
- 24 May 08:30 WEST HAM, Survey on Borja Valero
- 24 May 08:15 AC MILAN, A suitor ready if Kucka leaves
- 24 May 08:00 JUVENTUS, First offer for Janmaat submitted to Newcastle
- 24 May 02:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Lazio reject first offer for Candreva
- 24 May 01:45 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Lokomotiv Moscow hire N'Dinga from AS Monaco
- 24 May 01:30 TRABZONSPOR, Approaching Yamaguchi
- 24 May 01:15 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Gladkiy
- 24 May 01:00 OLYMPIQUE LYON, Fofana considers quitting football
According to UK news, West Ham have reached the agreement on Turkish international offensive midfielder and winger Gokhan Töre (24) with Besiktas. Currently on a deal with Süper Lig winners until June 2019 and equipped with a second German passport, the p
According to Sky Sport there were advances in the negotiations between Lazio and Cesare Prandelli. After meeting between the Biancocelesti and former
Raphael Varane, Real Madrid defender, has spoken at L'Equipe: Euro 2016? :" The idea is really to live an important stage of my career
Louis Van Gaal it is no longer Manchester United's manager. The club, with a brief note on his official site, announced Dutch departure with immed
OGC Nice announced having signed Swiss 58 years old Lucien Favre as their new manager. Former Borussia Monchengladbach and Hertha Berlin trainer joins
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was elected by Kicker, Bundesliga's best player. A prestigious award for the Armenian Borussia Dortmund midfielder followed in