BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 05 May 10:47 WOLFSBURG willing to keep Naldo
- 04 May 09:04 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Aubameyang: "A dream to play in Spain"
- 03 May 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Keen on Giroud
- 02 May 21:38 BUNDESLIGA - Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart - FULL TIME
- 02 May 15:53 WOLFSBURG - Mario Gomez in the spotlight
- 30 Apr 20:40 BUNDESLIGA - Final Scores
- 30 Apr 19:24 BUNDESLIGA - Leverkusen 2 - 1 Herta - FULL TIME
- 30 Apr 17:05 BUNDESLIGA: Leverkusen v Hertha Berlin Official Line-Ups
- 29 Apr 11:14 BORUSSIA DORTMUD - Ł80m budget
- 28 Apr 12:31 LEVERKUSEN - Leno to Barça?
- 28 Apr 09:17 WOLFSBURG - Allofs: "No reason to discuss over Hecking"
- 27 Apr 14:27 BAYERN MUNICH - Sanchez first target
- 27 Apr 12:13 BVB - Hummels official request
- 27 Apr 10:23 HOFFENHEIM - Werder Bremen keen on Grahl
- 27 Apr 09:48 HANNOVER - Kiyotake could leave
- 26 Apr 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Klopp keen on Horn
- 26 Apr 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Bendtner statement
- 22 Apr 09:35 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Hummels: "My future? I haven't decided yet. But i set a term, and I think about it every night"
- 21 Apr 09:42 MAINZ 05 - Approaching Tsintotas
- 21 Apr 07:00 BMG - Approaching Andre Hoffmann
- 20 Apr 10:05 BAYERN MUNICH - Neuer signs new deal
- 20 Apr 09:12 BVB - Ousmane Dembele: done deal?
- 17 Apr 17:26 Thorgan Hazard: Zidane used to be my idol, now its my brother Eden
- 13 Apr 10:38 DORTMUND - Eyes on Dahoud
- 10 Apr 19:22 BUNDESLIGA - Schalke 04 2 - 2 Borussia Dortmund
- 09 Apr 21:30 BUNDESLIGA - 29 fixtures Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 18:21 BUNDESLIGA / Bayern set to start talks for Marchisio
- 08 Apr 04:59 SCHALKE 04, Breitenreiter: "Sané? I think he wants to stay with anyway"
- 07 Apr 00:00 BAYERN MUNICH, From UK: Lewandowski suggests Götze to join Liverpool
- 03 Apr 23:06 Bundesliga - Sunday's Scores
- 02 Apr 22:31 BUNDESLIGA / Final Scores
- 02 Apr 19:41 BUNDESLIGA / BVB - WERDER: Final Score
- 01 Apr 20:42 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tuchel: "Mkhitaryan? The choice is his, I hope he'll stay with us"
- 01 Apr 17:32 BUNDESLIGA/KOLN, Top clubs are keen on Hector and he consider a summer move
- 31 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Watzke: "Aubameyang won't leave for less than 100 million euros"
- 30 Mar 13:32 BAYERN MUNICH - Lewandowski strikes new deal until 2021
- 28 Mar 10:39 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Arsenal in the race for Aubameyang
- 25 Mar 18:00 BAYER MUNICH - Xabi Alonso: "Guardiola is ahead of his time"
- 22 Mar 16:57 WERDER BREMEN, Djilobodji banned for the 'throat cutting' gesture
- 22 Mar 13:00 GERMANY - Kruse was expelled from the selection
- 20 Mar 22:45 FC AUGSBURG 1 BORUSSIA DORTMUND 3
- 19 Mar 17:00 BUNDESLIGA - Bayern Munich getting used to suffer
- 17 Mar 09:40 BAYERN MUNICH - Guardiola: "It was a great game for everyone"
- 17 Mar 09:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bernat: "I'll miss Pep, but another great is coming"
- 17 Mar 07:20 SCHALKE 04, Neustädter eyed by Inter and Arsenal
- 16 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, English surveys on Hradecky
- 16 Mar 10:40 WOLFSBURG – Bendtner suspended
- 14 Mar 16:58 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Benatia: We'll go through next stage. We want to win the league"
- 14 Mar 08:45 MAINZ 05, Donati: "Napoli? I wouldn't think twice about joining them"
- 14 Mar 07:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Aubameyang: "PSG? I should better try something new, like Spanish football"
- 13 Mar 16:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Bayern Munich make easy work of Werder Bremen
- 12 Mar 23:59 BUNDESLIGA: Final Scores
- 12 Mar 23:50 BAYERN MUNCHEN - Götze: "Focus just on the team. To come back is always beautiful"
- 12 Mar 18:10 BAYERN MUNICH - Ribéry not moving for all the tea in China
- 12 Mar 00:20 WOLFSBURG - Hecking: "We deserved the defeat"
- 11 Mar 22:15 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Wendell: "Real Madrid? I'd join them by foot"
- 11 Mar 09:15 Dortmund - Too good for Tottenham
- 11 Mar 08:00 SCHALKE 04 - Insecure future for Belhanda
- 09 Mar 20:00 BUNDESLIGA / Tuchel cool on Gündogan camp's Guardiola talks
- 06 Mar 11:46 OFFICIAL - Eintracht Frankfurt sack manager Veh
- 03 Mar 16:45 BUNDESLIGA / Uli Hoeness swaps prison for football
- 03 Mar 10:05 Paderborn - Stefan Effenberg fired
- 27 Feb 13:00 Dortmund - Hummels excited by Tottenham draw
- 24 Feb 12:26 Leverkusen - Boss banned for 3 games
- 24 Feb 11:30 Bayern Munich - Guardiola cares only about the mentality
- 22 Feb 15:37 OFFICIAL - Schalke 04, Heidel is the new sport director
- 21 Feb 20:30 BUNDESLIGA / Aubameyang keeps Dortmund in contention
- 20 Feb 13:15 BUNDESLIGA / BAYERN MUNICH: Ribéry and Götze return to face Darmstadt
- 20 Feb 10:51 OFFICIAL - Olympiacos, Diamankatos permanently moves to Karlsruher
- 17 Feb 15:00 Boateng eyes return to fitness
- 15 Feb 17:42 OFFICIAL - Borussia Dortmund sign Merino until 2021
- 15 Feb 11:00 GERMANY / Augsburg 1 - Bayern Munich 3: Lewandowski's top scorer with 21 goals in Bundesliga
- 14 Feb 12:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / Bayern Munchen: A possible dismissal of Guardiola
- 11 Feb 15:40 Hoffenheim - 28-year-old Nagelsmann appointed head coach
- 10 Feb 18:42 HOFFENHEIM - Stevens: "I quit for a cardiac arrhythmnia "
- 10 Feb 16:16 Guardiola: "Lewandowski is the most professional player I've met"
- 10 Feb 13:13 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti is in town to start to work on the next team
- 10 Feb 12:26 OFFICIAL - Schalke 04, Benedikt Höwedes extends
- 10 Feb 12:25 HOFFENHEIM - Steven resigns
- 10 Feb 12:18 BAYERN MUNICH - Corluka rejected the transfer
- 10 Feb 11:25 Dortmund's tennis ball protest
- 09 Feb 14:40 Bayern Munich - Pep Guardiola praises Lewandowski
- 09 Feb 11:30 BUNDESLIGA / Bayern Munchen: Ribéry: "I know that I can go back to being the old Ribéry"
- 05 Feb 15:47 'Manchester City move will not distract Bayern' says Guardiola
- 04 Feb 11:40 Januzaj couldn't settle at Dortmund
- 01 Feb 17:53 OFFICIAL - Bayern Munich sign Tasci on loan
- 01 Feb 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / GERMANY: The Serbian center Milos Veljkovic signed with Werder Bremen until 2019
- 30 Jan 14:23 SCHALKE 04 - Interest for AC Milan's Luiz Adriano
- 29 Jan 21:01 BAYERN MUNICH - Strong interest for Marseilles' Nkoulou
- 28 Jan 15:18 Monchengladbach, Eberl on Xhaka: "He won't leave in January"
- 28 Jan 12:10 Dortmund midfield trio impressing in Germany
- 13 Jan 18:02 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery on Chelsea interest
- 04 Jan 15:27 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Signing Osimhen won't be easy"
- 21 Dec 10:57 BAYERN MUNICH/ OFFICIAL, Rummenigge announces: "Ancelotti will replace Pep after season ends"
- 18 Dec 22:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep: "My mind is made up"
- 16 Dec 13:05 BAYERN MUNICH, Pep decision next week
- 14 Dec 06:00 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Völler: "Kiessling? He's a wonderful guy. He's staying put, we rely on him a lot"
- 03 Dec 07:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery back on the pitch after almost a year: "A very emotional and fun day"
- 01 Dec 12:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Matthaus about Muller: "He should definitely stay"
- 24 Nov 11:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 06 May 13:57 ARSENAL - Wenger: "Spurs above Arsenal is one-off"
- 06 May 13:45 GREECE/ PANATHINAIKOS, Suggestion for Flamini
- 06 May 13:32 CHELSEA to move for Juve man Zaza
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 12:54 INTER - Handanovic could leave
- 06 May 12:31 LEICESTER keen to keep Mahrez
- 06 May 12:19 BARCELONA tracking Ben Arfa
- 06 May 12:03 ROMA trying to keep Szczesny on loan
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 06 May 11:33 CHELSEA - Willian wants Alexandre Pato to stay
- 06 May 11:18 JUVENTUS - Mino Raiola says he can't rule out Pogba's move
- 06 May 11:01 NAPOLI to bid for a Fiorentina duo
- 06 May 10:49 LIVERPOOL to join the battle race for Caner Erkin
- 06 May 10:34 NAPOLI - Callejon could leave
- 06 May 10:23 BAYER LEVERKUSEN to bid for Kiyotake
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 06 May 09:52 PALERMO - Vazquez to leave
- 06 May 09:27 JUVENTUS - Mustafi: "I have offers but I am fine at Valencia"
- 06 May 09:08 ARSENAL keen on Arda Turan
- 06 May 08:59 BARCELONA - Ter Stegen won't leave
- 06 May 08:27 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Riveros joins FC Basel
- 06 May 08:13 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Valencia, scouting Atalanta's Rafael Toloi
- 06 May 07:58 AS ROMA, Sabatini on Giallorossi midfield stars: "I want to keep Nainggolan and Pjanic"
- 06 May 07:39 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Zielinski opens to joining Reds
- 06 May 07:26 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Old new plan for signing Maksimovic
- 06 May 07:11 ITALY/ INTER, Caner Erkin will be signed on a 3 years deal
- 05 May 23:04 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "It was unbelievable: attitude, readiness, everything"
- 05 May 22:04 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 3-1 Shakhtar [Agg 5-3] FT Sevilla in the FINAL!
- 05 May 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 3-0 Villarreal [Agg 3-1] FT - Liverpool go to the FINAL!
- 05 May 21:32 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 3-0 Villarreal [Agg 2-1] LIVESCORE
- 05 May 21:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 3-1 Shakhtar Donetsk [Agg 5-3] LIVESCORE
- 05 May 21:26 LEICESTER CITY, Mahrez 50-50 to leave
- 05 May 21:02 MANCHESTER UNITED target Varane
- 05 May 20:58 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 1-1 Shakhtar Donetsk [Agg 3-3] Half-time report
- 05 May 20:56 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 1-0 Villarreal [Agg 1-1] Half Time
- 05 May 20:38 AC MILAN, Agent says Zlatan may return
- 05 May 20:15 MANCHESTER CITY contact JUVENTUS over Pogba
- 05 May 19:54 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla v Shakhtar Donetsk Official Line-Ups
- 05 May 19:52 MANCHESTER UNITED, Signing 17 year-old Polish keeper
- 05 May 19:28 WEST HAM and TOTTENHAM both target Lacazette
- 05 May 19:23 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool v Villarreal Official Line-Ups
- 05 May 18:13 CHELSEA - Matic to be replaced by Kante
- 05 May 17:47 MANCHESTER CITY - Hart: "We go again to cement our place in the CL"
- 05 May 17:16 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "They have to come to Anfield"
- 05 May 16:48 LIVERPOOL - Thompson: "I have concerns over Sturridge future"
- 05 May 16:28 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini: "Real Madrid were lucky"
- 05 May 16:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Survey on Hysaj: 18 million euros request on him
- 05 May 15:45 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Thorgan Hazard on target
- 05 May 15:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, MLS perspective for Casillas
Italian newspaper Il Messaggero today's edition reported, as their first sports title, AS Roma chief executive Walter Sabatini's iconic words: "I want to keep Radja Nainggolan an Miralem Pjanic in the squad, no matter what. El Shaarawy? I'll hire him back from AC
Franco Vazquez is reportedly willing to leave Palermo after this disappointing season in the Serie A.
Fiorentina and Juventus are expected to
Playing for Levante since the second half of 2009/10, after having already been a youth area member for Granotes in the 90's, 1976-born centre-bac
On-loan Bournemouth striker Juan Manuel Iturbe will return to Roma at the end of the season after he failed to impress with t
Liverpool have reportedly eyed Javier Pastore in action for Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, according to France Football.
Wolfsburg have reportedly offered Naldo a new contract to stay in Germany in spite of Manchester United interest, a