BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We can be proud of ourselves"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
After helping FC Bayern München edge their UEFA Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid CF, Arjen Robben told UEFA.com the prospect of a home final was "indescribable".
Having found the target against his former side Real Madrid CF in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg, FC Bayern München winger Arjen Robben told UEFA.com he was delighted to be facing another familiar foe, Chelsea FC, in next month's showpiece.
The Netherlands forward – who scored 15 goals in 67 Premier League games for Chelsea before signing for Madrid in 2007 – converted a 27th-minute penalty at the Santiago Bernabéu to bring an intense tie level and stunt the hosts' early attacking dominance, reflected by Cristiano Ronaldo's double strike.
If the evenly matched teams could not then be separated in regulation or extra time, the subsequent penalty shoot-out made heroes of Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"I think we can be proud of ourselves after what we have achieved here," said Dutch international Robben. "We were 2-0 down after just 14 minutes and we managed to recover; we deserve to be in the final. It was a great performance, we did well and you have to congratulate our team."
Chasing a place in what has repeatedly been described in Germany as a "dream final" at the club's Fußball Arena München on 19 May, Robben admitted that he and his team-mates grew gradually more confident of becoming the first side to achieve the feat in the UEFA Champions League era.
"At half-time we all spoke up and said to each other that we could do this," the 28-year-old said. "We realised there were parts of the game we controlled and we looked the better team. Having said that, we also knew we had to take care because Madrid have such great quality up front.
"Before extra time started we had a feeling we had a slight advantage. We felt that some of their players were tired after the effort they put in. I think our physical condition is one of our strengths and we proved that by showing we can play for 120 minutes or more."
Bayern are famed in the Spanish capital as Madrid's bete noir – the Bundesliga outfit having won three of the previous four European Cup semi-finals between the sides – and the tension mounted as the tie went to penalties. "We only decided who would take them after the match ended, but fortunately it worked out well for us," said Robben after Schweinsteiger netted the decisive spot kick.
Now to a final against Chelsea which few would have predicted at the beginning of the campaign and one which pits Robben against his old club. "I had such a great time at Chelsea and I'm really happy they reached the final," he said.
"I saw their semi-final against Barcelona and they did well in a defensive capacity – you could say they parked the bus in their own area. For us, though, to be in a home final is almost indescribable. It's so great, especially for those who have been connected with the club for so long."
Schweinsteiger warned his colleagues that "we are playing a Chelsea side who beat the best team in the world over two matches". For Neuer, who foiled Ronaldo and Kaká in the shoot-out, Bayern's progress was reason enough to celebrate. "We are tremendously happy with our achievement," the German international said. "I chose the right corner twice [in the shoot-out] but the reality is you never know which side the opponent will aim for. Of course you need luck in those circumstances."
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 20 Oct 15:55 OFFICIAL - OSAKO signs new contract for FC KOLN
- 19 Oct 18:58 WERDER BREMEN - 2 Serie A top suitors for Ulisses GARCIA
- 18 Oct 14:26 OFFICIAL - MAINZ loan BEISTER to MELBOURNE VICTORY
- 18 Oct 13:48 BORUSSIA D. could sell Aubameyang
- 17 Oct 20:04 WOLFSBURG - Caligiuri: "Serie A? I am thinking about it, I could earn a national team call"
- 17 Oct 19:21 OFFICIAL - HECKING leaves WOLFSBURG
- 17 Oct 08:08 WOLFSBURG, Caligiuri: "I think about returning to Italy"
- 16 Oct 21:03 WOLFSBURG - Hecking in on the brink, Allofs: "We have to analyse the situation"
- 14 Oct 22:29 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Ex Osasuna midfielder Merino debuts
- 14 Oct 21:23 BAYERN MUNICH - Ribery and Bernat out against EINTRACHT FRANKFURT
- 13 Oct 17:21 FC KOLN might pursue Kerim FREI in winter
- 11 Oct 21:15 RED BULL SALZBURG -Wisdom: "I didn't speak to Klopp"
- 11 Oct 16:16 RB LEIPZIG - Sabitzer scouted by 2 top clubs
- 10 Oct 16:57 SCHALKE 04 scouting ARANA
- 10 Oct 11:08 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Dembelé: "I will play for Barça one day"
- 09 Oct 19:24 WOLFSBURG, Draxler's agent: "PSG offered nearly £60m for him"
- 07 Oct 16:53 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Zorc: "We want to sign WEIGL on a long-term contract"
- 06 Oct 18:56 WOLFSBURG, Blaszczykowski: "I didn't even realize I was leaving Dortmund for Fiorentina. Noe I'm very happy"
- 05 Oct 16:55 HERTHA BERLIN - Brazilian talent Ronaldo Melo being tested
- 04 Oct 15:26 SCHALKE 04 right-back UCHIDA at risk for his career
- 30 Sep 15:15 OFFICIAL - FC KOLN sign Salih OZCAN on a new contract
- 29 Sep 14:15 RB LEIPZIG - Mandatory deal extension for COMPPER after 25 caps
- 28 Sep 19:45 WOLFSBURG - Ascues might be loaned back to Alianza Lima
- 28 Sep 18:00 HOFFENHEIM - Süle scouted by 3 Premier League top clubs: ARSENAL, EVERTON & Spurs
- 28 Sep 17:15 SCHALKE 04 - Doubts on buying BENTALEB back from Spurs
- 28 Sep 17:00 Yuya OSAKO wants to extend for FC KOLN
- 27 Sep 10:14 WOLFSBURG, Draxler: "There will be rumours again in January"
- 26 Sep 11:32 OFFICIAL - HAMURG, Gidsol is the new coach
- 25 Sep 15:03 OFFICIAL - HAMBURG sack manager Labbadia
- 24 Sep 19:30 BAYERN MUNICH - Medical report on HUMMELS
- 24 Sep 18:34 MONCHENGLADBACH, Eberl: "We are not keen on Real Madrid's ODEGAARD"
- 23 Sep 14:18 OFFICIAL - Bikakcic extends for HOFFENHEIM
- 21 Sep 20:37 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Aubameyang: "I dream of joining REAL MADRID"
- 20 Sep 17:45 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT pushing towards SEFEROVIC's new contract
- 20 Sep 17:34 "Gotze did not fail at Bayern" Agent
- 18 Sep 09:35 OFFICIAL - HAMBURG sign PORATH on a new contract
- 18 Sep 08:40 OFFICIAL - Marco RUSS extends for EINTRACHT FRANKFURT
- 17 Sep 19:41 BUNDESLIGA / BMG 4-1 WERDER BREMEN - FT
- 17 Sep 16:58 BUNDESLIGA / Full Time Matchday 3
- 16 Sep 21:18 BAYERN MONACO -Ancelotti: "Oktoberfest was... unbelievable"
- 16 Sep 14:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Tons of suitors for HERTHA wonderkid KASTRATI
- 15 Sep 17:45 WERDER BREMEN target Teemu PUKKI
- 14 Sep 20:01 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT might submit GARICS an offer
- 14 Sep 19:27 HOFFENHEIM - 2 Serie A giants on TOLJAN
- 14 Sep 16:49 SC FREIBURG - 3 Bundesliga top clubs keen on PHILIPP
- 11 Sep 16:29 OFFICIAL - Bernd LENO extends for LEVERKUSEN
- 10 Sep 12:30 OFFICIAL - Chief executive PREETZ extends for HERTHA BERLIN
- 07 Sep 18:45 WERDER BREMEN ready to try again signing AUGUSTINSSON
- 07 Sep 16:45 Oliver BURKE turned down United and Liverpool for RB LEIPZIG
- 06 Sep 13:47 BORUSSIA D. - Bartra: "I do not regret leaving Barcelona"
- 05 Sep 20:00 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti: "Here nobody demands to win everything"
- 01 Sep 18:37 SCHALKE 04, Stambouli: "I want to establish myself as a key player here"
- 31 Aug 16:18 OFFICIAL - GUWARA joins Darmstadt
- 31 Aug 15:07 OFFICIAL - BAYER LEVERKUSEN loan RAMALHO to MAINZ
- 30 Aug 17:45 OFFICIAL - SC FREIBURG sign Niedermeier
- 30 Aug 16:24 OFFICIAL - BAYER LEVERKUSEN loan RYU to Ferencvaros
- 26 Aug 16:28 OFFICIAL - Schmid joins AUGSBURG from HOFFENHEIM
- 25 Aug 12:17 OFFICIAL - MAINZ sign Oztunali from Leverkusen
- 24 Aug 16:48 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "In touch with Heung Min-Son for a long time"
- 24 Aug 11:30 BAYER LEVERKUSEN - Ballack: "Leverkusen back on track"
- 23 Aug 23:37 OFFICIAL - BAYER LEVERKUSEN sign DRAGOVIC
- 18 Aug 14:15 OFFICIAL - EINTRACHT Frankfurt sign HECTOR from Chelsea
- 17 Aug 23:20 OFFICIAL - Werder Bremen sign DELANEY
- 17 Aug 22:37 OFFICIAL - Milosevic joins DARMSTADT from Besiktas
- 17 Aug 21:20 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hübner: "We can't count on BAMBA ANDERSON for this season, and..."
- 13 Aug 17:56 BAYERN MUNICH boss Ancelotti backs up Schweinsteiger
- 11 Aug 14:16 WOLFSBURG ready to offer Zaza £3.8m per year
- 11 Aug 10:46 EINTRACHT FRANKFURT to sign CHELSEA defender Miazga on loan
- 09 Aug 22:27 BORUSSIA MGB are keen on the signing of Andreas Christensen
- 08 Aug 15:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Coman: "I'd love to keep playing here for many, many years"
- 05 Aug 21:03 OFFICIAL - Allan Rodrigues joins Hertha BSC from Liverpool
- 05 Aug 00:30 WOLFSBURG - Deal extension offered to 3 players
- 03 Aug 09:33 WERDER BREMA sign former WOLFSBURG Max Kruse
- 03 Aug 09:04 WOLFSBURG - Julian Draxler: I want to leave Wolfsburg"
- 01 Aug 16:23 OFFICIAL - Latza extends for MAINZ
- 26 Jul 23:00 MAINZ & LEIPZIG keen on Morganella
- 24 Jul 13:32 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti: "Robben will be ready for the start of the season"
- 21 Jul 23:00 WOLFSBURG - Mayoral: "After 9 seasons at Real, I'm excited about the new chapter"
- 21 Jul 17:48 BAYERN MUNICH - Robben: "No plans to retire"
- 21 Jul 17:17 VIDEO NEWS - Robben on... Pep and Jose
- 21 Jul 14:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Gotze explains his return
- 19 Jul 18:03 PSV have shown interest in Tyrese Campbell
- 14 Jul 09:03 VfB STUTTGART sign Anto Grgic
- 12 Jul 12:42 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "SISSOKO was interested in us, but..."
- 21 Jun 13:15 OFFICIAL - Kobel extends for Hoffenheim
- 20 Jun 17:20 OFFICIAL - Augsburg sign Usami
- 13 Jun 17:26 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Zorc: "We'll decide about Mkhitaryan in a week"
- 11 Jun 10:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL - Augsburg sign Teigl
- 09 Jun 07:45 OFFICIAL - MAINZ 05 sign two players and announce one extension
- 05 Jun 20:22 GERMANY - Lowe: "We will have to see with Schweinsteiger"
- 26 May 17:46 BAYERN MUNICH - Rummenigge: "Gotze must make his own decision"
- 23 May 16:58 Borussia Dortmund, Mkhitaryan elected Bundesliga's best player
- 15 May 21:42 HAMBURG - sign American international Bobby Wood
- 14 May 21:34 BAYERN MUNICH - Ancelotti will hold his first training session on 11 July
- 14 May 16:44 BUNDESLIGA: FINAL DAY SCORES
- 05 May 10:47 WOLFSBURG willing to keep Naldo
- 04 May 09:04 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Aubameyang: "A dream to play in Spain"
- 03 May 09:01 WOLFSBURG - Keen on Giroud
- 02 May 21:38 BUNDESLIGA - Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart - FULL TIME
- 02 May 15:53 WOLFSBURG - Mario Gomez in the spotlight
- 23 Oct 00:03 ARSENAL target Fiorentina young goalie SATALINO
- 22 Oct 23:34 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - CICCONE sign new contract for VADUZ
- 22 Oct 23:10 CHELSEA ready to try signing KEANE from Burnley
- 22 Oct 22:23 BOLTON WANDERERS weigh up signing ODEMWINGIE
- 22 Oct 21:51 LIGUE 1/ Full Time scores Matchday 10
- 22 Oct 21:43 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - ST. GALLEN sign ARATORE on new contract
- 22 Oct 21:40 SERIE A / MILAN 1-0 JUVENTUS - FT
- 22 Oct 21:02 ARSENAL, Lucas Perez: "I don't think OZIL will leave for Real Madrid"
- 22 Oct 20:41 SERIE A / MILAN 0-0 JUVENTUS - HT
- 22 Oct 20:25 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA 2-3 BARCELONA - FT
- 22 Oct 20:20 BAYERN MUNICH offer ROBBEN a new contract
- 22 Oct 19:49 BUNDESLIGA/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 8
- 22 Oct 19:48 MILAN v JUVENTUS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 19:41 EVERTON back for GABBIADINI in January
- 22 Oct 19:21 SERIE A / SAMPDORIA 2-1 GENOA - FT
- 22 Oct 19:09 INTER MILAN willing to try KOMPANY winter hit
- 22 Oct 18:36 FIORENTINA back for SAPONARA
- 22 Oct 18:02 LIVERPOOL - Lead over Valencia on INSIGNE
- 22 Oct 17:31 GERRARD says LA GALAXY farewell: "You made me feel like home"
- 22 Oct 17:03 PREMIER LEAGUE - 9 Fiixture Saturday Afternoon Scores
- 22 Oct 16:56 WATFORD, Ighalo's agent: "NAPOLI? Signing him in January would be hard. CHELSEA and UNITED wanted him too"
- 22 Oct 16:22 JUVENTUS want to sign PSG star Thiago Silva on a free transfer
- 22 Oct 15:54 ARSENAL eye Satalino move as long-term replacement
- 22 Oct 15:30 CHELSEA youngster Solanke to pen a new deal
- 22 Oct 15:06 MAN CITY lining up Fabinho move
- 22 Oct 14:54 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA v BARCELONA - Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:47 LIGA BBVA/ ESPANYOL 3-3 EIBAR - FT
- 22 Oct 14:40 ARSENAL, Bellerin on BARÇA's interest: "I wouldn't even answer the phone"
- 22 Oct 14:37 PL/ HULL CITY v STOKE CITY, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:36 PL/ WEST HAM v SUNDERLAND, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:34 PL/ BURNLEY v EVERTON, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:32 PL/ SWANSEA v WATFORD, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:29 PL/ LEICESTER CITY v CRYSTAL PALACE, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:28 PL/ ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:21 PL/ BOURNEMOUTH v SPURS 0-0 FT
- 22 Oct 14:18 ATHLETIC BILBAO - LIVERPOOL ready to pay Inaki Williams buy-out clause
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 22 Oct 13:33 NAPOLI eye Zaza move to replace Milik
- 22 Oct 13:06 AC MILAN keen on TOTTENHAM winger Lamela
- 22 Oct 12:39 MAN UNITED, Mourinho: "Abramovic and I never close friends"
- 22 Oct 12:11 CHELSEA, Conte: "We won't play against Mourinho"
- 22 Oct 11:42 PL/ BOURNEMOUTH v SPURS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 11:14 INTER MILAN ready to place Darmian bid in January
- 22 Oct 10:50 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We have to add players in January"
- 22 Oct 10:21 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "No bad feelings, I'll always be grateful to CHELSEA"
- 22 Oct 09:46 REAL MADRID - After Modric also CR7 and Bale will extends their deal
- 22 Oct 09:18 MAN CITY - Guardiola: "Aguero is free to leave where he wants"
- 22 Oct 08:47 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "CHELSEA fans always sticked with me, also in bad moments"
- 22 Oct 08:16 SPURS - Pochettino wants more power on the market
- 22 Oct 00:01 REAL MADRID - MODRIC turned down Chinese maxi-offer before signing new contract
Former Nigerian international forward Peter Odemwingie (35), according to UK news, might be soon signed by Bolton Wanderers. The player, who collected a massive Premier League experience through the years, mostly as a member of West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City, is a free
Coming from a start of season much poorer than expected at Empoli, Italian attacking midfielder/half-forward Riccardo Saponara (24), according to La G
Currently on a deal with Las Palmas until June 2020, Spanish midfielder Vicente Gomez (28), according to Mundo Deportivo, has been targeted by Valenci
According to French media, Olympique Marseille top brass, after having signed Rudi Garcia as their new manager, have targeted 3 names for the mar
FC Köln announced having extended their deal with Japanese winger/forward Yuya Osako (26) until June 2020. Former Munich 1860 and Kashi