BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes: "Chelsea? There are no favourites"
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
Bayern Munich are understandably trying to make the most of playing the Champions League Final in their own city and stadium, but their manager Jupp Heynckes reckons it is a 'tiny' advantage.
Speaking the day before his side face Chelsea, the German revealed he is considering taking the Bayern team bus through the streets of the city on the way to ground in order to show the players the level of visible support, but he then went on to emphasise the strength of the opposition that has travelled to Bavaria from London.
'We are playing a team with not only huge experience, they also have fantastic organisation and outstanding players,' Heynckes said.
'If you look at their path to the final, they beat Napoli and we played Napoli in the group stage so know they are a fantastic team, and then they beat the best team in the world, Barcelona, 1-0 and then drew 2-2 in Barcelona with 10 men. These data is a sufficient warning for everyone.
'I don't share what you hear outside that we are definitely the favourites. There are no favourites in a Champions League Final, certainly not against Chelsea.'
He revealed that Bayern president Uli Hoeness announced 'I have a dream' on the possibility of their club winning the tournament in their own ground when they learnt two years ago that the 2012 Final would be there.
'We are not going to have this situation again, to play the Final in our own stadium so for this reason we have a fantastic possibility,' added Heynckes.
'Tomorrow we may have a tiny advantage due to the fact we are playing at home in our own stadium.'
The 67-year-old spoke about the impact Roberto Di Matteo has had on Chelsea's season.
'I am not surprised by his performance and if you look at his life and career as a player, you know he is intelligent, cool and a controlled person and Chelsea needed someone like him to restructure the team and make it more compact.
'He has Italian roots and has brought his own vision of football to Chelsea, you now see a compact team on the pitch and that is to his credit. Communication is important in modern football too and I think he is doing a great job.'
On the threat posed to his reshaped German defence by Didier Drogba he added:
'Drogba for many years has been one of the top strikers in the Premier League and he is definitely dangerous and can score at any minute. Sometimes he overdoes it a bit, sometimes he is an outstanding actor on the pitch.
'But Torres has improved enormously over the last few weeks so it is not just Drogba, it is Mata, it is Lampard, Sturridge, Kalou, all these players are top level. So it would be a mistake to concentrate merely on one player.'
Arjen Robben did not take full part in Bayern's training session yesterday due to a cold.
'It was a precautionary measure,' said the Bayern coach. 'He was able to train yesterday for 45 minutes but I think he will participate fully today and will play from minute one tomorrow.'
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 18 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Olic could renew for two years"
- 16 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "We want to keep Kroos, but it's up to him"
- 15 Apr 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "I think I'll be here next year too"
- 11 Apr 06:30 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Fahrmann going nowhere"
- 10 Apr 17:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "The Champions League is always a little bit funny"
- 10 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Kroos' agent: "Here at least until 2015"
- 09 Apr 06:39 HAMBURG, Van der Vaart: "Ajax is my club, but.."
- 08 Apr 06:39 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Barnetta's future? At the end of the season"
- 07 Apr 17:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Problems for Shaqiri
- 07 Apr 06:30 NUREMBERG, Drmic: "I can't assure that Drmic will stay"
- 06 Apr 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "Rodriguez going nowhere"
- 05 Apr 06:59 SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "Fährmann won't leave"
- 04 Apr 06:30 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "Ter Stegen will leave in any case"
- 03 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Kroos: "Old Trafford is beautiful, but.."
- 02 Apr 21:17 BAYERN MUNICH: Rummenigge's message to Arsenal, Juventus and AS Roma: "No doubt on Mandzukic staying with us"
- 02 Apr 08:59 BORUSSIA D. Klopp: "Real? Lewandowski's absence is a pity for us"
- 02 Apr 06:30 NUREMBERG, Bader: "No offers for Drmic"
- 01 Apr 15:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Maybe Sir Alex did offer me job"
- 01 Apr 06:30 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Kroos going nowhere"
- 31 Mar 14:00 SCHALKE 04, message to Arsenal from Heldt: "Draxler will play for us next year"
- 31 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "We had lots of competitors for Hahn"
- 30 Mar 07:57 HOFFENHEIM, Rosen: "Firmino going nowhere"
- 29 Mar 06:59 EINTRACHT, Hubner: "We will try to keep Joselu"
- 28 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Aubameyang's agent: "Napoli? Too late"
- 27 Mar 06:30 FREIBURG, Mehmedi: "I want to stay"
- 26 Mar 06:39 AUGSBURG, Weinzierl: "No contacts with Eintracht"
- 25 Mar 06:30 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Mandzukic will honour his contract"
- 24 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Shaqiri: "Never said I want to leave"
- 23 Mar 07:27 AUGSBURG, Vogt's agent: "Yes, Hamburg are after him"
- 22 Mar 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I think Kroos will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "I've been tracking Jung for years"
- 20 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Shaqiri's agent: "Not only Inter after him"
- 19 Mar 06:30 BORUSSIA, Zorc: "Dzeko? Hot air"
- 18 Mar 06:39 HANNOVER, Kind: "No chances to keep Diouf"
- 17 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I want to stay for at least three years"
- 16 Mar 07:27 BORUSSIA D., Watzke: "Soon a decision about Gundogan"
- 15 Mar 07:27 AUGSBURG, Reuter: "We'll try to keep Hahn"
- 14 Mar 06:30 HAMBURG, Badelj's agent: "He is focused on his club, but.."
- 13 Mar 06:30 WERDER, Prödl: "Either I will renew or I will leave"
- 12 Mar 12:45 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "We just have that much quality in our squad"
- 12 Mar 06:45 BAYERN, Robben: "I am happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 10 Mar 06:39 HERTHA, Kraft: "I could renew"
- 09 Mar 07:27 WERDER, Eichin: "Garcia is important for us"
- 08 Mar 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldy: "Firmino? Excellent player"
- 07 Mar 06:45 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We are not after Lasogga"
- 06 Mar 06:30 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "Stoke is my first choice"
- 05 Mar 06:45 BAYERN, Kroos: "No hurry about my new contract"
- 04 Mar 12:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Thiago: "I will only get better here"
- 04 Mar 06:39 BAYER, Hyppia: "No fear for my job"
- 18 Apr 22:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Also Immobile on the shortlist
- 18 Apr 22:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Barrios could be loaned out
- 18 Apr 22:20 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eyes on Darder
- 18 Apr 22:00 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Also Juventus after Boëtius
- 18 Apr 21:37 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Three more options for ter Stegen
- 18 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Basel after Mustafi
- 18 Apr 20:59 FRANCE/ OM, Amalfitano towards England
- 18 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ TORINO, Auction for Glik
- 18 Apr 20:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Eyes on Manolas
- 18 Apr 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ranieri to replace Montella?
- 18 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Offer for Immobile ready
- 18 Apr 19:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Wagner
- 18 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Contacts with Diouf
- 18 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Paulinho to replace Pjanic
- 18 Apr 18:45 HOLLAND/ PSV, Rekik could stay
- 18 Apr 18:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on two Fiorentina players
- 18 Apr 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 4 names for the bench
- 18 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ CATANIA, Bergessio could stay
- 18 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ MILAN, United ready to track Rami
- 18 Apr 16:31 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio: "I always give everything to help the team win"
- 18 Apr 16:15 ENGLAND/ SHEFFIELD UTD, Clough: "De Girolamo-Juve? I don't know about transfer rumors"
- 18 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Prandelli did well to call on El Shaarawy"
- 18 Apr 15:44 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Arsenal asking info about Serge Aurier
- 18 Apr 15:31 INTER, Walter Mazzarri names a 20-man squad for Parma v Inter
- 18 Apr 15:16 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Benjamin Mendy observed by United
- 18 Apr 14:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Arteta: "Admits it is hard to switch off"
- 18 Apr 14:45 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Heitinga: "I'd like to stay here also in the future"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 14:15 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro set to stay
- 18 Apr 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Schmelzer on target
- 18 Apr 13:45 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Nilton's message to Inter, AC Milan and Valencia: "I'm on a deal here, but I like Europe"
- 18 Apr 13:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Carrizo harder to get
- 18 Apr 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, More German rivals towards signing Drmic
- 18 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Abel Hernandez is the new name on tabs
- 18 Apr 12:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Duel to continental competitors on Stambouli: offer submitted
- 18 Apr 12:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Eyes on Cattermole
- 18 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Ruben Botta's agent: "Several suitors for him, but Neroazzurri want to hold him"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 11:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma scout Rafa Silva
- 18 Apr 11:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Insisting on Olic
- 18 Apr 11:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Cambiasso
- 18 Apr 11:07 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Van Basten is the new AZ Alkmaar
- 18 Apr 11:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Van Dijk: "I don't want to move"
- 18 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan and Juventus for Tonny Vilhena
- 18 Apr 10:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Aluko
- 18 Apr 10:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From Germany: 36 million euros needed for Laporte
- 18 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN: Seedorf set to be fired, Inzaghi on the lead position
- 18 Apr 09:45 FRANCE/ O.M., 3 Premier League clubs keen on Romao
- 18 Apr 09:30 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Frey calls Fiorentina back
- 18 Apr 09:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, From Italy: Allegri will be the new Spurs manager
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Walter Mazzarri has picked 20 players for the trip to Parma in Week 34 of Serie A 2013/14. The match at the Stadio Ennio Tardini kicks off at...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Lille defender Simon Kjaer has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's an honor to hear about such a great club, but I...