BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes: "Chelsea? There are no favourites"
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
Bayern Munich are understandably trying to make the most of playing the Champions League Final in their own city and stadium, but their manager Jupp Heynckes reckons it is a 'tiny' advantage.
Speaking the day before his side face Chelsea, the German revealed he is considering taking the Bayern team bus through the streets of the city on the way to ground in order to show the players the level of visible support, but he then went on to emphasise the strength of the opposition that has travelled to Bavaria from London.
'We are playing a team with not only huge experience, they also have fantastic organisation and outstanding players,' Heynckes said.
'If you look at their path to the final, they beat Napoli and we played Napoli in the group stage so know they are a fantastic team, and then they beat the best team in the world, Barcelona, 1-0 and then drew 2-2 in Barcelona with 10 men. These data is a sufficient warning for everyone.
'I don't share what you hear outside that we are definitely the favourites. There are no favourites in a Champions League Final, certainly not against Chelsea.'
He revealed that Bayern president Uli Hoeness announced 'I have a dream' on the possibility of their club winning the tournament in their own ground when they learnt two years ago that the 2012 Final would be there.
'We are not going to have this situation again, to play the Final in our own stadium so for this reason we have a fantastic possibility,' added Heynckes.
'Tomorrow we may have a tiny advantage due to the fact we are playing at home in our own stadium.'
The 67-year-old spoke about the impact Roberto Di Matteo has had on Chelsea's season.
'I am not surprised by his performance and if you look at his life and career as a player, you know he is intelligent, cool and a controlled person and Chelsea needed someone like him to restructure the team and make it more compact.
'He has Italian roots and has brought his own vision of football to Chelsea, you now see a compact team on the pitch and that is to his credit. Communication is important in modern football too and I think he is doing a great job.'
On the threat posed to his reshaped German defence by Didier Drogba he added:
'Drogba for many years has been one of the top strikers in the Premier League and he is definitely dangerous and can score at any minute. Sometimes he overdoes it a bit, sometimes he is an outstanding actor on the pitch.
'But Torres has improved enormously over the last few weeks so it is not just Drogba, it is Mata, it is Lampard, Sturridge, Kalou, all these players are top level. So it would be a mistake to concentrate merely on one player.'
Arjen Robben did not take full part in Bayern's training session yesterday due to a cold.
'It was a precautionary measure,' said the Bayern coach. 'He was able to train yesterday for 45 minutes but I think he will participate fully today and will play from minute one tomorrow.'
Other news Bundesliga (Germany)
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 23:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Price for Ljajic is set
- 27 Jul 22:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Celta sign Rioja
- 27 Jul 22:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Lovren
- 27 Jul 21:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also Fiorentina after Jonas
- 27 Jul 21:30 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Schär
- 27 Jul 21:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Eyes on Manolas
- 27 Jul 20:27 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Offer for Rojo ready
- 27 Jul 19:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New meeting for Romulo
- 27 Jul 19:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Two Spanish clubs after Chantome
- 27 Jul 18:59 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Prödl
- 27 Jul 18:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Isco towards Manchester City
- 27 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Still keen on Criscito
- 27 Jul 17:27 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, José Angel about to join
- 27 Jul 16:57 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Babacar
- 27 Jul 16:29 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Estudiantes sign Navarro
- 27 Jul 15:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Juve's offer for Candreva refused
- 27 Jul 15:30 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Done for Vietto
- 27 Jul 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Auction for Ogbonna
- 27 Jul 14:27 ITALY/ VERONA, Idea Sorensen
- 27 Jul 13:57 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Agreement for Muller
- 27 Jul 13:29 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Idea Stambouli
- 27 Jul 12:59 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Sprint for Insua
- 27 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sevilla sign Arribas
- 27 Jul 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sprint for M'Poku
- 27 Jul 11:27 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Survey on Eto'o
- 27 Jul 10:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Ansaldi about to sign
- 27 Jul 10:29 FRANCE/ MONACO, Sprint for Cerci
- 27 Jul 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo's signing to be announced on Tuesday
- 27 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ospina joins Arsenal
- 27 Jul 09:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting sign Sarr
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 27 Jul 07:57 OM, Payet: "I want to stay"
- 27 Jul 07:29 WERDER, Schroder: "Many clubs afyer Akpala"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 27 Jul 02:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ready to sign Casillas if Real give permission
- 27 Jul 01:27 ITALY/ GENOA, Roncaglia the alternative to Campagnaro
- 27 Jul 00:57 FRANCE/ NICE, 3 European suitors for Bautheac
- 27 Jul 00:29 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting for Osvaldo
- 26 Jul 23:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Areola on loan from PSG
- 26 Jul 23:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, 3 Premier League suitors for Atsu
- 26 Jul 23:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Plan for signing Scuffet in 2015
- 26 Jul 22:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez back on apple of his eye and KOP veteran Agger
- 26 Jul 21:57 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Pursuing Hugo Almeida again: in touch with Besiktas
- 26 Jul 21:29 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Approaching Bahoui
- 26 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Duel to AS Monaco and Liverpool for Gaitan
- 26 Jul 20:30 ARSENAL & CHELSEA, 30 million euros needed for Khedira
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract with Inter, we'll see. We will choose the best solution for me and the club".
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract
As reported by AS, Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez has declared: "I have a contract with Atletico and I am very happy at the colchoneros&
After Arsenal announced having signed Colombian international David Ospina, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger commented upon it: “David Ospin
Interviewed by L'Equipe, OM forward Dmitri Payet has declares: "I respect Swansea, but I want to remain in Marseille. I have told my agent to