ITALY, Chiellini: "Ready to face Spain"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy will be able to count on the experience of Giorgio Chiellini in their upcoming Euro 2012 campaign, after the Bianconeri defender confirmed his return to full fitness.
The 27-year-old, who made his Azzurri debut back in November 2004 against Finland, has shaken off the injury which forced him to miss out on Juve’s Coppa Italia final clash with Napoli.
Speaking from a press conference at the team base in Krakow, Chiellini is clearly relishing the prospect of featuring in the hotly-anticipated Group C opener against Spain.
“Thankfully the injury was a lot less serious than first feared,” he said. “Now we’re here in Poland and there’s a change of atmosphere. We’re up for the task and the welcome we were afforded yesterday was very important. The ten million fans brought across great energy. “
“It’s a pity Andrea [Barzagli] misses out but we’ll be ready if required to play a back three – De Rossi has shown he’s capable of doing so. Prandelli has experience and wants to consider the various alternatives. We’ve all tried out different styles of play with our respective club sides. Now all we need to do is find the right balance and a shared idea of play.”
Yet Giorgio knows Italy will have to be fully focused in order to match Vicente del Bosque’s defending European champions.
“There’s no way to stop their individuality, the important thing is to help each other out in every part of the pitch. We’ll have to limit their quality, taking account of their strengths but also their weaknesses.
“We’ll be up against a team which has dominated over the last four years, but we want to face this game with the right motivation.”
The defender spoke to the media shortly after paying an emotional visit to the concentration camps in Auschwitz.
“It was a genuinely touching feeling and it’s difficult to find words for it,” concluded Giorgio. “These are things I studied when I was at school, but seeing it with your own eyes is another thing entirely, especially the tales of the survivors. This experience will stay in our hearts forever.”
Other news Other News
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 12:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 10 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique hospitalized
- 07 Jun 09:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Perea will undergo surgery
- 05 Jun 11:10 ENGLAND, Hodgson takes positives
- 15 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We are obviously disappointed for the draw against City"
- 14 Sep 23:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Brest sign Samassa
- 14 Sep 22:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cahill's renewal is near
- 14 Sep 21:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I am getting fitter and fitter, my goal was a tight angle. Fantastic debut from Welbeck"
- 14 Sep 20:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement with Caceres on renewal
- 14 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Welbeck's debut: "He needs to fully integrate, but I'm satisfied"
- 14 Sep 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa tempted to join Napoli
- 14 Sep 17:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Riether extends for Fulham
- 14 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Sanchez is working hard, and he's already important for us"
- 14 Sep 15:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Renewal with Vlaar in jeopardy: departure reopening
- 14 Sep 14:00 ITALY/ INTER, Suggestion for Belotti
- 14 Sep 13:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Duel to United and PSG for Strootman
- 14 Sep 12:00 COLOMBIA/ MILLONARIOS, Done for Sebastian Pinto
- 14 Sep 11:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Decisive meeting for Cuadrado's renewal in a few days
- 14 Sep 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments 2-2 against City: "Not an easy game to referee. Wilshere is getting to top back"
- 14 Sep 09:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica sign Jonas
- 14 Sep 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger faces the umpteenth injury: "Debuchy's ankle doesn't look good"
- 13 Sep 22:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mariga joins Parma for the 4th time
- 13 Sep 20:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, San Lorenzo sign veteran Yepes
- 13 Sep 18:30 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY 2-2 - Official matchbox: Demichelis saves the day for Citizens
- 13 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City loan Brek Shea out to Birmingham
- 13 Sep 14:30 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, The Engineer Barriga joins Santiago Wanderers
- 13 Sep 12:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aberdeen loan Shaughnessy out
- 13 Sep 10:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, St. Johnstone sign Graham
- 12 Sep 18:29 ITALY/ JUVE, Allegri: "Pirlo’s on the road to recovery and will try kicking a ball next week"
- 12 Sep 18:14 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Focused on Empoli, not thinking about Champions"
- 12 Sep 18:00 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I am happy to be here at Milanello"
- 12 Sep 17:50 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Thinking about Ronaldo return
- 12 Sep 17:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Ghirardi: "Zaccardo? We were convinced we had closed the deal"
- 12 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Wenger against homophobia: "Sports should be ahead of society. Fighting against any kind of discrimination is very important"
- 12 Sep 16:15 ITALY/ INTER, Duel to Juventus on Zappacosta
- 12 Sep 16:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Baker might be loaned out to Derby County
- 12 Sep 15:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal fails De Jong attempt
- 12 Sep 15:30 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, New duel to Inter for Borini in winter
- 12 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, No hiring purchase option on Van Ginkel
- 12 Sep 15:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Grealish between renewal and Chelsea courtship
- 12 Sep 14:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Metz sign Malouda
- 12 Sep 14:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cech might leave in January: reopening for AS Monaco
- 12 Sep 14:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Baselli ready
- 12 Sep 14:00 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "We've got an option for hiring Alvarez back"
- 12 Sep 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Chelsea on tracking Alcacer
- 12 Sep 13:30 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR DONETSK, Luiz Adriano: "I don't want to leave"
- 12 Sep 13:16 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Back leading the race for Jonas
- 12 Sep 13:01 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Approaching Barça talent Munir El Haddadi
- 12 Sep 12:47 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Richards might leave on loan soon
- 12 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Nampalys Mendy on target
- 12 Sep 11:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Binnom-Williams leaves Crystal Palace on loan
- 12 Sep 11:27 SPAIN/ REAL BETIS, Approaching Kanu
- 12 Sep 10:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR loan Petrasso out
- 12 Sep 10:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Gunners wouldn't sell me to a rival for €20m"
Interviewed by Arsenal Player after the 2-2 home draw against Manchester City, Gunners prolific midfielder Aaron Ramsey stated: "It was a very tough game, very quick paced, and I thought we started really well and could have gone one or two in front. But the quality they hav
Rudi Garcia shared his thoughts with reporters ahead of tomorrow's Serie A match against Empoli.
"It's my job to ensure the pl
Barcelona defender Adriano has declared: "Last Summer I have refused many offers, but I always said that I wanted to stay. Douglas? He is a great
Interviewed by Arsenal Player after the 2-2 home draw against Manchester City, Gunners prolific midfielder Aaron Ramsey stated: "It was a very to
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has declared about 27-year-old goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu: "We are very happy that he has signed a new contract
Interviewed by Kicker, Erdin Shaqiri, brother and agent of Bayern Munich winger Xherdan Shaqiri, has declared: "During the Summer, Bayern didn