EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Other news Other News
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 12:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 10 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique hospitalized
- 07 Jun 09:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Perea will undergo surgery
- 05 Jun 11:10 ENGLAND, Hodgson takes positives
- 05 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ GENOA, New meeting with the Chinese investors
- 04 Jun 09:17 FRANCE/ OM, Anigo no longer the Sports Director
- 03 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo underwent surgery
- 01 Jun 10:27 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo injured
- 31 May 09:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Puyol is a Barcelona new executive
- 30 May 09:17 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Eriksson injured
- 29 May 09:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Today the decision about the next EL
- 28 May 16:59 HOLLAND, Van der Vaart to miss Brazil
- 28 May 16:51 ARGENTINA, Di Maria: "If we don't win the World Cup, it will be a failure"
- 28 May 09:17 ITALY/ PALERMO, Perinetti intended to leave
- 27 May 16:14 CROATIA, Kranjcar: "I'm really sorry that I will not be able to play in Brazil"
- 27 May 09:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez undergoes surgery
- 26 May 15:44 GHANA, Appiah will stay until 2016
- 25 May 10:27 GHANA/ OFFICIAL, Appiah will train the NT until 2017
- 23 May 18:14 US World Cup squad, Altidore preferred to former captain Landon Donovan
- 23 May 09:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa recovering
- 22 May 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, De Sanctis underwent surgery
- 21 May 18:30 ITALY - Abete, Prandelli and Immobile condemns racist chants directed at Italy's Balotelli
- 21 May 10:47 ENGLAND, Beckham believes in NT squad
- 20 Aug 18:31 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA, Fernandez: "I dreamt to play in Premier"
- 20 Aug 18:22 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Stall on Borini: turning to United's Welbeck
- 20 Aug 18:14 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Hetemaj extends for Chievo Verona
- 20 Aug 18:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia: arrived on loan Cancelo
- 20 Aug 17:49 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, €25m Carvalho bid rejected by Sporting
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 17:37 FRANCE/ O.M., Opening on Konko
- 20 Aug 17:25 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Niang set and willing to stay
- 20 Aug 17:14 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Eyes on Verratti
- 20 Aug 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Coquelin is expected to stay at the Gunners
- 20 Aug 16:43 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, No chance for Miguel Veloso arrival
- 20 Aug 16:34 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Muller: "I turned down Man Utd"
- 20 Aug 16:14 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Khedira would be perfect for us"
- 20 Aug 15:59 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Bojinov has emerged as a shock target for West Ham
- 20 Aug 15:52 ITALY/ NAPOLI, No more Fellaini pursuing: foot injury for former Toffees star
- 20 Aug 15:44 GREECE/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Panathinaikos close to Alfaro
- 20 Aug 15:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid renew Modric's contract
- 20 Aug 15:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Guzman joins Napoli
- 20 Aug 15:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fernandez Joins Swansea
- 20 Aug 14:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Sporting Lisbon denied receiving any offer for Carvalho
- 20 Aug 14:44 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR, Lucescu to Ac Milan: "For D. Costa needs the clubs agreement"
- 20 Aug 14:39 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, United reach agreement with Sporting for Rojo
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 14:13 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC BILBAO, Muniain: "I think against Napoli it's still 50/50 who goes through
- 20 Aug 14:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Approaching Stendardo
- 20 Aug 13:48 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Sprint on Donadel's return
- 20 Aug 13:36 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, A new contestant for former Arsenal star Song
- 20 Aug 13:24 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Eyes on Pablo Alvarez
- 20 Aug 13:12 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, A new Italian pursuer for Lisandro Lopez
- 20 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A new loan suitor for young goalie Gabriel
- 20 Aug 12:48 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Attempt for Iturraspe ready
- 20 Aug 12:36 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Keen on Andreolli
- 20 Aug 12:24 CHELSEA & MANCHESTER UNITED, Back dueling with Bayern on Benatia
- 20 Aug 12:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Chitu resigns from Valenciennes
- 20 Aug 12:00 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Offer for Xhaka submitted
- 20 Aug 11:48 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, 2 Football Championship giants keen on Jordon Ibe's loan
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 11:36 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Rising star Cristante might be the key for signing Cerci
- 20 Aug 11:24 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Jaime Romero joins Real Zaragoza
- 20 Aug 11:12 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Majestic offer to Shakhtar for Luiz Adriano
- 20 Aug 11:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Riise confims contacts
- 20 Aug 10:45 GREECE/ PANATHINAIKOS, Alfaro about to be announced
- 20 Aug 10:30 ARSENAL & JUVENTUS, Keeping on the double Manolas-Nastasic duel
- 20 Aug 10:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Sprint for Balanta
- 20 Aug 10:00 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR, Also Milan after Fernando
- 20 Aug 09:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A new suitor for Zaccardo
- 20 Aug 09:17 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Interest for Sosa
- 20 Aug 08:57 ARGENTINA/ RIVER, Carbonero refuses to join Cesena
- 20 Aug 08:39 ITALY/ PARMA, Idea Blanco
- 20 Aug 08:19 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Joao Cancelo likely to join
While the negotiations intended to land Italian international forward Fabio Borini (23) from Liverpool are in definite stall, Sunderland management are turning their own attention to English international forward and winger Danny Welbeck (23), according to Daily Mail. Currently o
Mbaye Niang has been speaking exclusively to Milan Channel: "The loan period in France helped me develop both on and off the pitch. I like when w
To Onda Cero, the president of Atletico Madrid, Enrique Cerezo denied that Marco Reus is a market target of the club: "Not possible to sign Reus&
Wojciech Szczesny has praised Calum Chambers for the way he's adapted to playing at centre back since he joined Arsenal.
The 19-year-old produc
Interviewed by ESPN, PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has declared about the possibility to end his career at the French club: "I have a contract u
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr