EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 10 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka seriously injured
- 09 Dec 14:32 FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013, Nominees for the awards revealed
- 06 Dec 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Hamren will train the NT until 2016
- 05 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Silvestre injured
- 04 Dec 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Valbuena injured
- 02 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Cassano injured
- 01 Dec 10:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Nastasic injured
- 30 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Aogo injured
- 29 Nov 07:40 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Galliani about to leave
- 29 Nov 07:17 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Mitroglou injured
- 28 Nov 07:17 EGYPT/ OFFICIAL, Shawky is the new NT coach
- 27 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Robinho injured
- 26 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew has undergone surgery
- 25 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik injured
- 24 Nov 11:27 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery out for a long time
- 23 Nov 07:57 SWITZERLAND/ ZURICH, Nef injured
- 22 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew will undergo surgery
- 21 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Hummels out for two months
- 20 Nov 14:34 CELTIC, Fridjonsson: "I can improve here every day "
- 20 Nov 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels and Schmelzer injured
- 19 Nov 09:56 ITALY, Prandelli felt Italy deserved more than draw against Nigeria
- 19 Nov 07:17 CZECH. REP./ OFFICIAL, Vrba will be the NT coach
- 18 Nov 07:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Khedira underwent surgery
- 17 Nov 10:27 ITALY/ INTER, Samuel injured
- 16 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger back in January
- 15 Nov 18:47 IRELAND, Di Canio hits back at O'Neill
- 15 Nov 15:15 CAMEROON, Eto'o claims conspiracy: "I heard of plot not to pass to me"
- 15 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger underwent surgery
- 14 Nov 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Graf is Young Boys new Technical Director
- 14 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic underwent surgery
- 13 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez ready to come back
- 12 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Schuster injured
- 11 Nov 18:15 FIFA PUSKAS AWARD, ten best goals of the year announced
- 11 Nov 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Season over for Subotic
- 10 Nov 11:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic injured
- 09 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Verratti injured
- 08 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Destro has recovered
- 07 Nov 20:00 ENGLAND, Hodgson confident on security
- 07 Nov 07:00 IRELAND/ OFFICIAL, O' Neill is the NT new manager
- 05 Nov 17:15 IRELAND, O'Neill agrees new deal with Northern Ireland
- 05 Nov 07:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Mesto out for four months
- 02 Nov 08:57 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev will be the NT coach until 2016
- 01 Nov 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Markarian is no longer the NT coach
- 30 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 29 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Djourou injured
- 28 Oct 06:45 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Season over for Suarez
- 27 Oct 10:57 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nawalks is the new NT coach
- 27 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Flamini injured
- 26 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Cirigliano injured
- 25 Oct 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Pizarro injured
- 10 Dec 17:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brentford: Bees appoint McParland
- 10 Dec 16:45 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Larsson: "Deal talks on hold"
- 10 Dec 16:34 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on the new Dennis Bergkamp
- 10 Dec 16:15 AC MILAN, Allegri: "Muntari will be available tomorrow and De Sciglio is fit"
- 10 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez: "Arsenal is a very strong side"
- 10 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We’re focused on tomorrow"
- 10 Dec 15:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR: Benayoun signs short-term contract
- 10 Dec 15:00 PSG, Blanc: "We want to maintain our high standards and win"
- 10 Dec 14:46 FRANCE/ MONACO, Ranieri: "No problem with Falcao"
- 10 Dec 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Set to move away from the Nou Camp
- 10 Dec 14:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Makienok
- 10 Dec 14:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis: "I think now we're on a really good path"
- 10 Dec 13:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Coming second is not an option for us"
- 10 Dec 13:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Fucile observed by Nacional Montevideo
- 10 Dec 13:15 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Parma, Saponara from Ac Milan in January
- 10 Dec 13:01 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka out 6 months
- 10 Dec 12:45 ITALY/ JUVE, Ready the offer for Nainggolan
- 10 Dec 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Eto'o not ready to Toronto move
- 10 Dec 12:16 SPAIN/ BARCEONA, Contacts with Gundogan and Reus agents
- 10 Dec 12:04 FRANCE/ MONACO, Arrives contacts with City for Kompany
- 10 Dec 11:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting Lisbona: arrives Enoh Lewis
- 10 Dec 11:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu ready for Barça
- 10 Dec 11:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "It never enters my head to leave"
- 10 Dec 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger prepares £10 millions move for Coleman
- 10 Dec 10:45 AC MILAN & MANCHESTER CITY, Eyes on Luuk de Jong
- 10 Dec 10:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Assaidi soon to join Liverpool back
- 10 Dec 10:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Arsenal and Liverpool challenged on Pedro
- 10 Dec 10:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Ranocchia on target
- 10 Dec 09:45 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Suggestion for Molinaro
- 10 Dec 09:38 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UTD, Finally make a move for Sneijder
- 10 Dec 09:30 NAPOLI v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Walcott might make it for the starting eleven
- 10 Dec 09:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Perin is the main name on tabs
- 10 Dec 09:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to Dortmund and Chelsea for Matic
- 10 Dec 08:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Move for Draxler upcoming
- 10 Dec 08:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, One more suitor for Peluso
- 10 Dec 08:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cannavaro more and more likely to leave
- 10 Dec 08:00 ARSENAL, Jenkinson: "Not keeping clean sheets against Everton was disappointing"
- 10 Dec 07:40 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Leo extends with Santos
- 10 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka seriously injured
- 10 Dec 06:57 MONACO, Ranieri: "Di Maria won't join"
- 10 Dec 06:39 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Robben will end his career here"
- 10 Dec 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am not asking for new players"
- 10 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I am happy here"
- 10 Dec 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 09 Dec 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Rebic will be loaned
- 09 Dec 23:17 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Attempt for Kerzhakov
- 09 Dec 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner likely to extend
- 09 Dec 22:39 BULGARIA/ SLAVIA, Also Juventus after Velkov
- 09 Dec 22:20 ITALY/ INTER, Agazzi unlikely to join
- 09 Dec 22:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Højbjerg intended to leave
Napoli coach Rafa Benitez believes his team will need to be at their very best if they are to beat Arsenal in Wednesday's Champions League match at the San Paolo stadium.
Both teams go into the final Group F match in Naples looking to progress to the knockout...
Massimiliano Allegri spoke exclusively to the Milan Channel regarding tomorrow evening’s match against Ajax at the San Siro:...
Barcelona central defender Marc Bartra has gone on record as saying that he feels that he is an important member of his team, even if he has...
Martin Demichelis firmly believes Manchester City can become a European force under Manuel Pellegrini.
Pellegrini took charge in the summer...
Bayern Munich executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about 29 year old winger Arjan Robben: "We are happy to have a player like him...
Laurent Blanc, coach of PSG, has spoken about the next Champions League clash against Benfica.
"We want to maintain our high...