EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Other news News
- 30 Oct 12:51 Born This Day - Diego Maradona turns 57
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 16 Dec 00:05 ATLETICO MADRID & BAYERN MUNICH - Suggestion for Marseille magician THAUVIN
- 15 Dec 23:29 STOKE CITY about to extend deal with Stephen IRELAND
- 15 Dec 22:53 AS ROMA - 3 suitors for Leandro CASTAN
- 15 Dec 22:16 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lautaro MARTINEZ's agent: "He's already agreed a move to Atletico Madrid"
- 15 Dec 21:34 SEVILLA FC - French flankman CORCHIA asks to be loaned out
- 15 Dec 20:51 FENERBAHCE - Mission in Liverpool for signing GRUJIC on loan
- 15 Dec 20:22 FIORENTINA - Ianis HAGI to be loaned to second-tier side
- 15 Dec 19:49 OFFICIAL - Lille sack Marcelo BIELSA after prior suspension
- 15 Dec 19:09 OFFICIAL - Internacional captain D'ALESSANDRO signed on new deal
- 15 Dec 18:28 WEST HAM - Duel to Juventus and Leicester on KADERABEK
- 15 Dec 17:43 ATALANTA - A new suitor for Juventus loanee ORSOLINI
- 15 Dec 17:00 SPORTING LISBON - A Chinese bid for William CARVALHO
- 15 Dec 16:16 JUVENTUS veteran defender BARZAGLI about to extend
- 15 Dec 15:33 INTER MILAN - Suggestion for CICIRETTI
- 15 Dec 14:52 Louis VAN GAAL: "Bayer Leverkusen made me an interesting offer, but I turned them down"
- 15 Dec 14:10 VALENCIA keen on LICHTSTEINER
- 15 Dec 13:27 TMW RADIO - Bologna, MASINA's agent: "Napoli, Torino, Sevilla? He's just focused on games now"
- 15 Dec 12:44 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Eyes on Milan BADELJ
- 15 Dec 12:01 GALATASARAY, Feghouli: "West Ham was a mistake, but I'm so happy now"
- 15 Dec 11:19 ATLETICO MADRID - No renewal for club long-timer JUANFRAN
- 15 Dec 10:36 ARSENAL - Updates on WILSHERE and West Ham tracking him
- 15 Dec 09:55 ATHLETIC BILBAO, De Marcos: "KEPA joining Real? What's gonna be is gonna be"
- 15 Dec 09:17 AS ROMA icon FLORENZI wholly agrees renewal terms
- 15 Dec 08:34 PSG, Di Maria: "Happy here, but I'd like to get more game time"
- 15 Dec 00:04 FENERBAHCE & GALATASARAY - Eyes on fancy free agent EVRA
- 14 Dec 23:23 OFFICIAL - Atletico Mineiro sign Marcos AROUCA from Palmeiras
- 14 Dec 22:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan to get BASTONI back and loan him to Serie A small side
- 14 Dec 22:03 BARCELONA FC - Suggestion for Daley BLIND
- 14 Dec 21:22 BESIKTAS - A Chinese bid for Benfica loanee Anderson TALISCA
- 14 Dec 20:38 AS MONACO, Fabinho: "Atletico Madrid? That's possible"
- 14 Dec 19:55 OFFICIAL - AC Milan sign young full-back CALABRIA on new long-term
- 14 Dec 19:10 AC MILAN - Interest on Pepe REINA increasing
- 14 Dec 18:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atalanta to loan out young striker Luca VIDO
- 14 Dec 17:45 LAZIO want LICHTSTEINER back from Juventus
- 14 Dec 17:02 PSG, Di Maria: "PASTORE? He's happy in Paris"
- 14 Dec 16:17 NEWCASTLE - A new Serie A suitor for MITROVIC
- 14 Dec 15:34 RED STAR BELGRADE - Suitors for Ghanaian striker BOAKYE increasing
- 14 Dec 14:52 NAPOLI planning to use ROG in Verdi negotiation with Bologna
- 14 Dec 14:10 MANCHESTER UNITED - Steps forward towards OZIL
- 14 Dec 13:31 LIVERPOOL - Duel to Napoli and Juventus on VRSALJKO
- 14 Dec 12:48 JUVENTUS keen on DONNARUMMA again
- 14 Dec 12:04 OFFICIAL - Torino extend deal with sporting director PETRACHI
- 14 Dec 11:20 AS MONACO set new (and cheaper) exit fee on FABINHO
- 14 Dec 10:37 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli, slowdown in Vrsaljko pursue: back on MASINA
- 14 Dec 09:54 JUVENTUS midfield star KHEDIRA more and more likely to leave next summer
- 14 Dec 09:13 GENOA in talks with Aleandro ROSI on new contract
- 14 Dec 08:31 CHELSEA striker BATSHUAYI more and more likely to join Newcastle
- 14 Dec 00:09 AS ROMA - Héctor MORENO tempted to leave. A Spanish suitor on him
- 13 Dec 23:33 VALENCIA boss Marcelino wants MARCANO back with him
- 13 Dec 22:50 AC MILAN - Chances for Gustavo GOMEZ to be loaned to Boca Jrs. increasing
Playing for Stoke City since September 2013, Irish wingback/attacking midfielder Stephen Ireland (31), recovering from a very long-lasting leg fracture (occurred to him as back as in May 2016), according to Daily Telegraph, is likely to have his deal with Potters soon extended be
Signed by Fiorentina in summer 2016, and yet to enter first team heavy rotation, Romanian Under-21 international attacking midfielder Ianis Hagi (19),
Asked by Spanish media about rising star goalie Kepa Arrizabalaga (23) being more and more likely to leave Athletic Bilbao in January, for joining Rea
Playing for Stoke City since September 2013, Irish wingback/attacking midfielder Stephen Ireland (31), recovering from a very long-lasting leg fractur
After having suspended him from his duties last November 23, Argentinian 62-year old Marcelo Bielsa has been now full-fledgedly sacked by Lille.
Pursued by both Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund lately, Hoffenheim and German Under-21 NT rising star attacking midfielder Nadiem Amiri (21), acco