EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Other news News
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 18 Oct 22:43 INTER MILAN planning attempt for Arturo VIDAL: Spalletti's motives
- 18 Oct 22:10 SASSUOLO about to extend deals with two veterans of theirs
- 18 Oct 21:29 BARÇA-TOTTENHAM duel chance for Max MEYER
- 18 Oct 20:44 REAL MADRID set eyes on Barça B winger ARNAIZ
- 18 Oct 20:01 BARCELONA FC approaching Flamengo wonderkid LINCOLN
- 18 Oct 19:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Two Serie A suitors for second-tier wingback SPROCATI
- 18 Oct 18:33 USA in touch with "Big Sam" ALLARDYCE as new NT boss
- 18 Oct 18:07 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese: tracking Cavion for next summer
- 18 Oct 17:49 PSG, Cavani: "Neymar and me? No need for us to be friends"
- 18 Oct 17:30 CHELSEA - Fabregas: "Too happy here to change team"
- 18 Oct 17:05 LEICESTER CITY - 3 after-Shakespeare rumoured names discarded
- 18 Oct 16:22 OFFICIAL - Diego LOPEZ back as Cagliari manager
- 18 Oct 16:15 JUVENTUS - Chiellini: "Buffon deserves Best FIFA Goalkeeper 2017 award"
- 18 Oct 15:41 BARCELONA FC scouting two Spurs stars
- 18 Oct 14:59 WEST HAM, Adrián: "I don't like how things are going here. I would not mind other leagues"
- 18 Oct 14:14 SPORTING LISBON - 3 Serie A giants scouting Bruno FERNANDES
- 18 Oct 13:31 BARCELONA FC - Two winter suitors for Paco ALCACER
- 18 Oct 12:54 PSG - Bonus ready for NEYMAR if he wins Ballon d'Or
- 18 Oct 12:12 OFFICIAL - Jordan WILLIS extends for Coventry City
- 18 Oct 11:27 LA GALAXY, Ashley COLE: "I want to stay put for next year"
- 18 Oct 10:44 OFFICIAL - PL giants target David BROOKS renews for Sheffield United
- 18 Oct 10:01 LIVERPOOL trying to hijack GORETZKA from Bayern and Barça
- 18 Oct 09:23 BAYERN MUNICH enquire Bilbao about rising star goalie ARRIZABALAGA
- 18 Oct 08:46 OFFICIAL - Levante sign Albert DALMAU
- 18 Oct 00:02 REAL MADRID - Marcus RASHFORD is frontline market Plan B
- 17 Oct 23:27 JUVENTUS, From UK: Carlo ANCELOTTI might join back next season
- 17 Oct 22:50 OFFICIAL - Swansea City sign Matic PALJK
- 17 Oct 22:10 INTER MILAN, from UK: keen on GIROUD
- 17 Oct 21:27 REAL MADRID wants Lucas HERNANDEZ (after his brother, Theo)
- 17 Oct 20:44 AC MILAN trying to hijack Lucas LIMA from city rivals: club-agent meeting
- 17 Oct 20:01 JIANGSU, Alex TEIXEIRA: "Being linked to Inter Milan honours me"
- 17 Oct 19:16 INTER MILAN target Toby ALDERWEIRELD again
- 17 Oct 18:50 OFFICIAL - Leicester City sack SHAKESPEARE
- 17 Oct 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I'm neither extending, nor joining PSG"
- 17 Oct 17:48 SOUTHAMPTON - First talks with Arsenal on WALCOTT
- 17 Oct 17:04 PSG back for FABINHO. Attempt to start transfer talks
- 17 Oct 16:21 MAN. CITY, De Bruyne's agent: "We are in renewal talks. Napoli? Why not, someday?"
- 17 Oct 15:39 NEWCASTLE ready to submit cash bid for Cenk TOSUN
- 17 Oct 14:55 BARCELONA FC close to sign UMTITI on a new contract
- 17 Oct 14:12 PORTO - Two Italian giants keen on Diogo DALOT
- 17 Oct 13:31 BARCELONA FC, Rafinha's agent: "Back to the pitch soon. No transfer talks so far"
- 17 Oct 12:49 BARCELONA FC scouting Napoli backline star KOULIBALY
- 17 Oct 12:06 BAYERN MUNICH - Duel to Arsenal and Liverpool on LEMAR
- 17 Oct 11:24 SPORTING LISBON planning to sign CARVALHO on new deal and exit clause
- 17 Oct 10:42 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - 3 top clubs tracking WEIGL for winter window
- 17 Oct 10:02 OFFICIAL - Cagliari sack coach RASTELLI
- 17 Oct 09:21 ARSENAL set low-cut price on OZIL
- 17 Oct 08:47 TOTTENHAM - A new top suitor for Harry KANE
- 17 Oct 00:01 BARCELONA FC might put SUAREZ up for sale next summer
- 16 Oct 23:17 MANCHESTER CITY - Suggestion for CAVANI in January
According to news reported by gazzamercato.it, Sassuolo management are about to have their deals with Italian goalkeeper Andrea Consigli (30, in the pic on the left) and defensive all-rounder Federico Peluso (33) extended, the former until June 2021, the latter until 2019. Both f
According to news reported by gazzamercato.it, Sassuolo management are about to have their deals with Italian goalkeeper Andrea Consigli (30, in the p
A free agent after last summer, after the end of his experience at Hércules de Alicante, Spanish right-back Albert Dalmau (25) has of
Interviewed by Radio Marca, Spanish 30-year old goalkeeper Adrián manifested his displease regarding how things are turning out for him at
Fifa are to begin an investigation after Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings into Paris St-Germain chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi and former Fi
According to Sport Bild, German international deep-lying midfielder Julian Weigl (22) is tracked by three top clubs, with winter window in the viewfin