EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 15 Apr 07:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa out for three weeks
- 11 Apr 12:26 UEFA CL, Bayern draw Real Madrid, Atlético land Chelsea
- 11 Apr 08:06 UEFA- EL: Benfica, Juve, Sevilla and Valencia set for draw
- 11 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Season over for Farnerud
- 10 Apr 07:17 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Degen injured
- 09 Apr 07:17 ITALY/ ROMA, Benatia injured
- 08 Apr 07:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Rodriguez out for six months
- 07 Apr 07:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Casteels injured
- 06 Apr 07:57 FRANCE/ OM, Mandanda injured
- 04 Apr 07:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Benteke injured
- 03 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa injured
- 02 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale injured
- 01 Apr 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Valdes out for 7 months
- 31 Mar 07:00 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Quaresma wants to play for 10 more years
- 30 Mar 09:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Domínguez Platas is Betis new coach
- 29 Mar 07:57 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Benitez could be fired
- 27 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Victor Valdes injured
- 26 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Season over for Gurpegui
- 25 Mar 13:00 HOLLANDm, Hiddink has signed for 2 years
- 25 Mar 07:00 FRANCE/ LYON, Lopes out for six weeks
- 24 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez injured again
- 23 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Anderson injured
- 22 Mar 07:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Van Persie injured
- 21 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Schmelzer out for one month
- 20 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tissone out for six months
- 19 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jesé injured
- 18 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Cristoforo out for six months
- 17 Mar 07:17 QATAR/ OFFICIAL, Belmadi is the NT new coach
- 16 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema injured
- 15 Mar 08:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hainer is Bayern new president
- 14 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Hoeness sentenced
- 13 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Fuchs injured
- 12 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Season over for Anderson
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 06 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ WERDER, Garcia injured
- 05 Mar 18:02 HOLLAND, Van Gaal: "Netherlands are World Cup outsiders"
- 05 Mar 17:16 FRANCE, Zinedine Zidane 'proud' of son Enzo after France call-up
- 05 Mar 07:15 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is the new NT coach
- 04 Mar 07:17 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Ulmer injured
- 03 Mar 07:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Season over for Rajkovic
- 02 Mar 08:30 HOLLAND/ NT, Agreement with Hiddink
- 01 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pasqual injured
- 28 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sabatini at Roma until 2017
- 27 Feb 17:14 GREECE, Santos will leave after the World Cup
- 27 Feb 07:17 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Perrin is the NT new coach
- 26 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, DIas out for three weeks
- 16 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Giaretta: "No contacts with Inter for Basta and Danilo"
- 15 Apr 23:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Anelka won't join Atletico MG
- 15 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, 5 clubs after Calhanoglu
- 15 Apr 22:59 BRAZIL/ INTERNACIONAL, Dreaming Sandro's comeback
- 15 Apr 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Rugani
- 15 Apr 22:20 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER, Attempt for Macheda
- 15 Apr 22:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Mitrovic
- 15 Apr 21:37 ARGENTINA/ ARSENAL, Palermo will be the new coach
- 15 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Eyes on Drago
- 15 Apr 20:59 GERMANY/ MAINZ, Two players will leave
- 15 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ AS ROMA, First steps for Drogba
- 15 Apr 20:20 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Emerson Sheik joins Botafogo
- 15 Apr 20:00 RUSSIA/ CSKA, Eyes on Radosevic
- 15 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayern sign Lulic
- 15 Apr 19:30 FRANCE/ OL, Interest for Romulo
- 15 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Gundogan renews with Borussia
- 15 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Gamberini will leave
- 15 Apr 18:45 GERMANY/ BAYER, Kampl could come back
- 15 Apr 18:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal fire Alfaro
- 15 Apr 18:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Interest for D. Sakho
- 15 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Auction for Cuadrado
- 15 Apr 17:45 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Jallet to replace Aurier
- 15 Apr 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Widmer
- 15 Apr 17:15 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Zoller
- 15 Apr 17:00 FIORENTINA & UNITED, Defining Anderson's Viola hireback
- 15 Apr 16:45 FRANCE/ O.M., Bielsa wants Mati Fernandez for next season
- 15 Apr 16:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Toby Alderweireld in the wishlist
- 15 Apr 16:15 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Survey on Castaignos
- 15 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo: "Berlusconi blew my Chelsea move"
- 15 Apr 15:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Renovation passes by the arrival of four top players
- 15 Apr 15:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Musacchio on target
- 15 Apr 15:15 ITALY/ LAZIO, Attempt for Astori ready
- 15 Apr 15:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Mike Ott joins FC Nurnberg in July
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 14:30 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Suggestion for Destro
- 15 Apr 14:15 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Pre-agreement with Juventus for signing Berardi on loan
- 15 Apr 14:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A Premier League suitor for Adil Rami
- 15 Apr 13:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Duel to Hellas Verona for Villalba
- 15 Apr 13:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Martin Caceres between Lazio and renewal with Juventus
- 15 Apr 13:15 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Barkley rumour dismissed
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 12:44 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: " No doubts that Courtois will be able to play against Chelsea"
- 15 Apr 12:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Eye on Clement Chantome
- 15 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Management ready to sell Mauro Icardi
- 15 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Chelsea and City challenged on Stones
- 15 Apr 11:45 BRAZIL/ ATLETICO MINEIRO: Anelka signed, but no one has seen him yet!
- 15 Apr 11:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Dodò's agent: "He hasn't been marginalized, and is a Roma player"
- 15 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, From UK: maxi-offer for Barkley ready
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:44 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Diame: "If I'll play at Liverpool? I don't know"
Almost surely not joining back Manchester United, Brazilian midfielder Anderson (26), as reported by Florence newspaper La Nazione, is nearer and nearer to be hired back by Fiorentina. Viola chief executives, Daniele Pradé and Eduardo Macia, are purposefully working...
Interviewed by Rai Sport, Juventus head coach Antonio Conte has declared: "Leaving at the end of the season? As I always say, I am so...
Barcelona defender Carles Puyol has declared about the possibility to remain at the Catalan club after that FIFA has stopped the blaugrana's...
Looking forward to forthcoming Premier League clash against West Ham, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "It's down to...
Interviewed by Kicker, Wolfsburg forward Ivica Olic has declared: "My idea is to continue with this club. Unless something shocking will...
Interviewed by RMC, OL midfielder Maxime Gonalons has declared: "I want to talk clear, there have been many talks in January, when I said...