EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Other news News
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - K°benhavn v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, PellŔ tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barša asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 04 Aug 10:15 VIDEO NEWS - AC Milan 1-3 Chelsea
- 02 Aug 16:55 BAYERN MUNICH, Alonso and Bernat go ghosthunting
- 30 Jul 22:30 OFFICIAL - PSV sign Teze on first pro contract
- 28 Jul 16:30 Chelsea vs Liverpool 1-0 All Goals & Highlights International
- 28 Jul 11:25 EUROPA LEAGUE third qualifying round line-up
- 21 Jul 21:45 OFFICIAL - Tavernier extends for Glasgow Rangers
- 21 Jul 12:31 MANCHESTER UNITED - Beckham backs Mourinho up
- 21 Jul 11:30 VIDEO NEWS - Pelle opens his account for Shandong
- 13 Jul 12:30 EIBAR sign ex Manchester UTD Bebe
- 13 Jul 10:56 ENGLAND -Sunderland confirmed Allardyce permission to speak over the England manager's job
- 12 Jul 18:31 CHELSEA - Andy Myers to leave staff role
- 07 Jul 14:53 EURO 2016 -5 Things... Ronaldo helps fire Portugal into Euro finals
- 24 Jun 17:09 OFFICIAL - Young Scotsman Tierney extends for CELTIC
- 23 Jun 18:46 EURO 2016 - SPAIN, De Gea: "Thanks to the critics, you motivate me"
- 22 Jun 08:57 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 21 Jun 16:57 EURO 2016 Sweden striker Ibrahimovic to retire from international football
- 21 Jun 10:36 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 17 Jun 19:38 IRELAND - Arter: "I'm always listening to Roy Keane"
- 17 Jun 11:36 EURO 2016: Germany 0-0 Poland Video review
- 17 Jun 09:15 EURO 2016: Today Matches
- 16 Jun 16:23 POGBA's agent: "He didn't flip, let's stop talking nonsense"
- 16 Jun 10:21 EURO 2016 - Preview: Ukraine v Northern Ireland
- 16 Jun 10:13 EURO 2016 - Preview: England v Wales
- 16 Jun 10:07 EURO 2016 - Preview: Germany v Poland
- 16 Jun 09:06 EURO 2016 - Russia Loves Football ľ not violence
- 15 Jun 09:21 PARIS, 20th JUNE Borgonovo FOUNDATION CHARITY jersey AUCTION
- 11 Jun 00:13 From Spain: SEXUAL ASSAULT Inquiry on ISCO, DE GEA and MUNIAIN
- 10 Jun 16:39 EURO 2016 - France v Romania photos preview
- 08 Jun 17:44 EURO 2016 - TURKEY, Mand×ukić "We should think about our qualities much more than those of our opponents"
- 31 May 22:51 Trapani ahead on Spezia: nearest playoff's final
- 31 May 22:23 OFFICIAL: Botafogo, Camilo arrives from Al-Shabab
- 31 May 21:58 OFFICIAL: Leeds United, Evans goes away
- 30 May 22:21 OFFICIAL: Lokomotiv Moscow, no contract's renewal for Sheshukov and Grigoriev
- 30 May 21:46 OFFICIAL: Levante, contract's renewal for Remeseiro and Martin
- 30 May 21:43 OFFICIAL: Estoril, Fabiano Soares coach confirmed
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 30 Sep 21:22 REAL MADRID - Man United and Man City 'go to war' over Kroos
- 30 Sep 21:04 ARSENAL head to head with Juve and PSG for Mbappe
- 30 Sep 20:47 ARSENAL - Cazorla: "I hope I can stay here and continue to play"
- 30 Sep 20:30 NAPOLI - A new suitor for STRINIC, but...
- 30 Sep 20:15 JUVENTUS: back for OSCAR
- 30 Sep 20:00 STOKE CITY still willing to sign BERAHINO in January
- 30 Sep 19:45 PSG - MATUIDI more and more likely to stay put (at least until May)
- 30 Sep 19:30 SUNDERLAND eyeing Czech goalie VACLIK
- 30 Sep 19:15 LIVERPOOL, Klopp on SAKHO's outburst: "Rules are the same for every player of ours. Now we can carry on"
- 30 Sep 19:00 TORINO - 3 Serie A giants on sensation BARRECA. New long-term contract offered
- 30 Sep 18:45 AS MONACO - 2 English and 2 Italian main suitors for BAKAYOKO
- 30 Sep 18:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Ligue 1 rivals for Pescara on Modibo DIAKITE
- 30 Sep 18:16 CHELSEA, Conte: "Important to have a good relationship with Abramovich"
- 30 Sep 17:59 CHELSEA, Conte: "I don't have a magic wand to change everything"
- 30 Sep 17:45 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Both Liverpool clubs keen on I˝aki WILLIAMS
- 30 Sep 17:30 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY sign young titanic defender SOUTTAR from Dundee Utd
- 30 Sep 17:15 AC MILAN - Eyes on Dortmund's defensive allrounder GINTER
- 30 Sep 17:00 HULL CITY, Phelan: "I need the club to decide contract terms, once and for all"
- 30 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Training England? Why not, someday?"
- 30 Sep 16:30 GALATASARAY, Sneijder: "Special bond with INTER MILAN. But I'm happy here, and I want to stay"
- 30 Sep 16:15 MAN. UNITED Swedish 18-year old target KARLSSON: "Fun to be compared to IBRA"
- 30 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID hoping to challenge Barša in tempting Juventus star DYBALA
- 30 Sep 15:45 SPORTING LISBON offer Real and United target GELSON MARTINS a new contract
- 30 Sep 15:30 LAZIO - Parolo to be soon signed on a new long-term contract
- 30 Sep 15:15 OFFICIAL - FC KOLN sign Salih OZCAN on a new contract
- 30 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL - Keen on Celtic wonder Moussa DEMBELE
- 30 Sep 14:50 CHELSEA, Conte: "Terry did not recover"
- 30 Sep 14:45 INTER MILAN challenging city rivals on VRSALJKO
- 30 Sep 14:30 MANCHESTER UNITED - A Brazilian youngster tested
- 30 Sep 14:15 NAPOLI put maxi-release clause on HYSAJ's new contract
- 30 Sep 14:00 AC MILAN - Simone ZAZA on target
- 30 Sep 13:44 GENOA - Simeone Jr: "I want to become better than my dad, but I have to improve"
- 30 Sep 13:13 CELTIC - Three European top clubs keen on Moussa Dembele
- 30 Sep 12:48 INTER - Joao Mario on the way to recover, he might be selected for ROMA
- 30 Sep 12:21 OFFICIAL - Jacob pens new deal with WEST BROMWICH ALBION
- 30 Sep 12:03 SWANSEA - Guidolin on the brink, Klinsmann among the candidates to replace him
- 30 Sep 11:47 CHELSEA star Lampard 'never envisaged playing for MAN CITY'
- 30 Sep 11:24 ZORYA - Vernydub: "We were unlucky against MAN UNITED"
- 30 Sep 10:59 BAYERN MUNCHEN could miss Robben this summer
- 30 Sep 10:52 JUVENTUS - Dyabala deal to be extended
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 30 Sep 10:38 ROMA, Totti: "Good result with a great performance"
- 30 Sep 10:29 EVERTON - Lukaku : "I'm not a top striker yet"
- 30 Sep 10:13 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "This point is important for the future"
- 30 Sep 09:48 WEST HAM, Bilic: "I am concentrated just on training"
- 30 Sep 09:21 ARSENAL and CHELSEA linked again with move for Morata
- 30 Sep 09:00 MAN UNITED - Mourinho bemoans on Liverpool clash timing "A poisoned gift"
- 30 Sep 08:33 CHELSEA tried to sign Pogba last summer
- 30 Sep 08:04 STOKE CITY target MONACO midfielder Bakayoko
- 29 Sep 23:30 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "It was difficult, we had to score more goals"
Currently on a deal with Napoli until June 2019, and again not appointed with a first row position in the squad, mainly due to Faouzi Ghoulam's presence, Croatian international left-back Ivan Strinic (29) has been repeatedly rumoured to be leaving, back during last summer, an
Currently on a deal with Napoli until June 2019, and again not appointed with a first row position in the squad, mainly due to Faouzi Ghoulam's pr
While Italian 59-year old manager Cesare Prandelli has just agreed terms with Valencia CF, and is being signed on a 2 year-deal, a poll launched by Sp
Already in talks with Pescara, French-Malian centre-back Modibo Diakité (29), now a free agent after his latest experiences at Sampdo
FC Köln announced having signed German Under-19 international midfielder Salih Özcan (18) on a new contract, lasting until June 2020.