EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mand×ukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news News
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - K°benhavn v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, PellŔ tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barša asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 04 Aug 10:15 VIDEO NEWS - AC Milan 1-3 Chelsea
- 02 Aug 16:55 BAYERN MUNICH, Alonso and Bernat go ghosthunting
- 30 Jul 22:30 OFFICIAL - PSV sign Teze on first pro contract
- 28 Jul 16:30 Chelsea vs Liverpool 1-0 All Goals & Highlights International
- 28 Jul 11:25 EUROPA LEAGUE third qualifying round line-up
- 21 Jul 21:45 OFFICIAL - Tavernier extends for Glasgow Rangers
- 21 Jul 12:31 MANCHESTER UNITED - Beckham backs Mourinho up
- 21 Jul 11:30 VIDEO NEWS - Pelle opens his account for Shandong
- 13 Jul 12:30 EIBAR sign ex Manchester UTD Bebe
- 13 Jul 10:56 ENGLAND -Sunderland confirmed Allardyce permission to speak over the England manager's job
- 12 Jul 18:31 CHELSEA - Andy Myers to leave staff role
- 07 Jul 14:53 EURO 2016 -5 Things... Ronaldo helps fire Portugal into Euro finals
- 24 Jun 17:09 OFFICIAL - Young Scotsman Tierney extends for CELTIC
- 23 Jun 18:46 EURO 2016 - SPAIN, De Gea: "Thanks to the critics, you motivate me"
- 22 Jun 08:57 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 21 Jun 16:57 EURO 2016 Sweden striker Ibrahimovic to retire from international football
- 21 Jun 10:36 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 17 Jun 19:38 IRELAND - Arter: "I'm always listening to Roy Keane"
- 17 Jun 11:36 EURO 2016: Germany 0-0 Poland Video review
- 17 Jun 09:15 EURO 2016: Today Matches
- 16 Jun 16:23 POGBA's agent: "He didn't flip, let's stop talking nonsense"
- 16 Jun 10:21 EURO 2016 - Preview: Ukraine v Northern Ireland
- 16 Jun 10:13 EURO 2016 - Preview: England v Wales
- 16 Jun 10:07 EURO 2016 - Preview: Germany v Poland
- 16 Jun 09:06 EURO 2016 - Russia Loves Football ľ not violence
- 15 Jun 09:21 PARIS, 20th JUNE Borgonovo FOUNDATION CHARITY jersey AUCTION
- 11 Jun 00:13 From Spain: SEXUAL ASSAULT Inquiry on ISCO, DE GEA and MUNIAIN
- 10 Jun 16:39 EURO 2016 - France v Romania photos preview
- 08 Jun 17:44 EURO 2016 - TURKEY, Mand×ukić "We should think about our qualities much more than those of our opponents"
- 31 May 22:51 Trapani ahead on Spezia: nearest playoff's final
- 31 May 22:23 OFFICIAL: Botafogo, Camilo arrives from Al-Shabab
- 31 May 21:58 OFFICIAL: Leeds United, Evans goes away
- 30 May 22:21 OFFICIAL: Lokomotiv Moscow, no contract's renewal for Sheshukov and Grigoriev
- 30 May 21:46 OFFICIAL: Levante, contract's renewal for Remeseiro and Martin
- 30 May 21:43 OFFICIAL: Estoril, Fabiano Soares coach confirmed
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 01 Oct 19:51 SUNDERLAND, Moyes after home 1-1 against WBA: "We are lacking quality"
- 01 Oct 19:27 REAL MADRID - Medical report on MODRIC
- 01 Oct 18:56 CHELSEA, Conte: "This is the answer I was looking for"
- 01 Oct 18:42 BREAKING NEWS - VALENCIA announce PRANDELLI as new manager
- 01 Oct 18:31 PSG - KRYCHOWIAK unhappy with his situation
- 01 Oct 18:07 INDIA/ OFFICIAL - Momo SISSOKO joins Pune City
- 01 Oct 17:52 LIGUE 1/ PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN 2-0 BOURDEAUX - FT
- 01 Oct 17:46 LIGA/ SEVILLE 2-1 ALAVES - FT
- 01 Oct 16:57 EPL/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 7
- 01 Oct 16:45 BUNDESLIGA/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 6
- 01 Oct 15:47 EPL/ Halftime Scores Matchday 7
- 01 Oct 15:01 WEST BROM lining up contract extension for Berahino
- 01 Oct 14:48 EPL/ HULL CITY v CHELSEA - Official Line Ups
- 01 Oct 14:45 EPL/ SUNDERLAND v WEST BROM - Official Line Ups
- 01 Oct 14:43 EPL/ WEST HAM v MIDDLESBROUGH - Official Line Ups
- 01 Oct 14:40 EPL/ WATFORD v BOURNEMOUTH - Official Line Ups
- 01 Oct 14:28 EPL/ SWANSEA v LIVERPOOL 1-2 - FT
- 01 Oct 13:23 EPL/ SWANSEA v LIVERPOOL 1-0 - HT
- 01 Oct 13:15 ARSENAL, Xhaka: "We want to have a consistently good season"
- 01 Oct 12:24 MANCHESTER CITY, Guardiola: "We can do even better"
- 01 Oct 11:56 CHELSEA, Conte: "Cahill is a great defender, I trust him"
- 01 Oct 11:33 EPL/ SWANSEA v LIVERPOOL - Official Line Ups
- 01 Oct 11:11 AC MILAN to consider Depay move
- 01 Oct 10:43 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Anfield feels like my home"
- 01 Oct 10:19 BURNLEY boss Dyche rebuffed CHELSEA interest in Keane
- 01 Oct 09:52 MANCHESTER UNITED offered Wenger a managerial role in 2002
- 01 Oct 09:25 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I have no news from the club about new contract"
- 01 Oct 08:56 MANCHESTER UNITED made enquiries for Yarmolenko
- 01 Oct 08:29 LIVERPOOL star Wijnaldum explains why he chose the Reds
- 01 Oct 08:01 MAN UNITED - Mata: "I've got a good relationship with Mourinho, we can win the title"
- 30 Sep 21:22 REAL MADRID - Man United and Man City 'go to war' over Kroos
- 30 Sep 21:04 ARSENAL head to head with Juve and PSG for Mbappe
- 30 Sep 20:47 ARSENAL - Cazorla: "I hope I can stay here and continue to play"
- 30 Sep 20:30 NAPOLI - A new suitor for STRINIC, but...
- 30 Sep 20:15 JUVENTUS: back for OSCAR
- 30 Sep 20:00 STOKE CITY still willing to sign BERAHINO in January
- 30 Sep 19:45 PSG - MATUIDI more and more likely to stay put (at least until May)
- 30 Sep 19:30 SUNDERLAND eyeing Czech goalie VACLIK
- 30 Sep 19:15 LIVERPOOL, Klopp on SAKHO's outburst: "Rules are the same for every player of ours. Now we can carry on"
- 30 Sep 19:00 TORINO - 3 Serie A giants on sensation BARRECA. New long-term contract offered
- 30 Sep 18:45 AS MONACO - 2 English and 2 Italian main suitors for BAKAYOKO
- 30 Sep 18:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Ligue 1 rivals for Pescara on Modibo DIAKITE
- 30 Sep 18:16 CHELSEA, Conte: "Important to have a good relationship with Abramovich"
- 30 Sep 17:59 CHELSEA, Conte: "I don't have a magic wand to change everything"
- 30 Sep 17:45 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Both Liverpool clubs keen on I˝aki WILLIAMS
- 30 Sep 17:30 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY sign young titanic defender SOUTTAR from Dundee Utd
- 30 Sep 17:15 AC MILAN - Eyes on Dortmund's defensive allrounder GINTER
- 30 Sep 17:00 HULL CITY, Phelan: "I need the club to decide contract terms, once and for all"
- 30 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Training England? Why not, someday?"
- 30 Sep 16:30 GALATASARAY, Sneijder: "Special bond with INTER MILAN. But I'm happy here, and I want to stay"
Real Madrid issued the following medical report, regarding the injury occurred to Croatian star playmaker Luka Modric:
"Following tests carried out on Luka Modric at the Sanitas La Moraleja University Hospital, he has been diagnosed with an injury to the articular ca
Currently on a deal with Napoli until June 2019, and again not appointed with a first row position in the squad, mainly due to Faouzi Ghoulam's pr
Real Madrid issued the following medical report, regarding the injury occurred to Croatian star playmaker Luka Modric:
"Following tests carrie
Already in talks with Pescara, French-Malian centre-back Modibo Diakité (29), now a free agent after his latest experiences at Sampdo
FC Köln announced having signed German Under-19 international midfielder Salih Özcan (18) on a new contract, lasting until June 2020.