EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "I’m better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "No hurry about my renewal"
- 01 Nov 00:00 PARMA, Leonardi: "In January we'll be attentive on the market"
- 31 Oct 23:27 ITALY/ INTER, Also Arias on the wishlist
- 31 Oct 21:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rabiot renews with PSG
- 31 Oct 19:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Cheyrou quits OM
- 31 Oct 18:00 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Back for Zaccardo
- 31 Oct 17:37 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Also Real Madrid after Lucas Silva
- 31 Oct 17:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Still keen on Lichtsteiner
- 31 Oct 16:59 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "David Silva has a problem in his ligament"
- 31 Oct 16:44 GERMANY/ B. DORTMUND, Reus: "Too much rumors about my future"
- 31 Oct 16:30 ARSENAL v BURNLEY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere won't probably be available"
- 31 Oct 16:25 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Costa? I cannot stop him from going"
- 31 Oct 16:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Renewal meeting with Babacar soon
- 31 Oct 16:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, 3 Premier League top suitors offers ready for Piqué: the sums
- 31 Oct 15:45 ITALY/ INTER, Move for Konoplyanka ready
- 31 Oct 15:30 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Keen on Karius
- 31 Oct 15:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on German giants-wooed talent Cedric Soares
- 31 Oct 15:00 GENOA & AC MILAN, Possible Matri-Niang swap
- 31 Oct 14:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Eto'o renewal in the viewfinder
- 31 Oct 14:30 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Bruno Alves might leave in January
- 31 Oct 14:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Palermo-Morganella renewal meeting soon
- 31 Oct 14:00 PORTUGAL/ PORTO: Arsenal and AC Milan challenged on the chance to sign Illarramendi
- 31 Oct 13:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga might leave in January
- 31 Oct 13:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible Sassuolo winter loan for Pochettino
- 31 Oct 13:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH: Looking for a lead on Reus over Arsenal, United, PSG, Barça and Real
- 31 Oct 13:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Adriano in France for negotiating with Le Havre
- 31 Oct 12:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Survey on Avdijai
- 31 Oct 12:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, New duel to United for Hummels
- 31 Oct 12:15 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Duel to Marseille for Lassana Diarra: negotiations started
- 31 Oct 12:00 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, NY Cosmos sign Raúl
- 31 Oct 11:45 ITALY/ INTER, Grosskreutz on target
- 31 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I feel confident here. Champions League debut gave me goosebumps"
- 31 Oct 11:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Assou-Ekotto observed by 2 clubs
- 31 Oct 11:00 FRANCE/ O.M., Cheyrou: "I'm no more a player of Marseille"
- 31 Oct 10:42 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "I would leave Anfield"
- 31 Oct 10:29 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Hold contract extension talks with Huntelaar
- 31 Oct 09:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, New attempt for Mehmedi next summer
- 31 Oct 09:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Eyes on Hector Herrera
- 31 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Babacar
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 31 Oct 07:57 PSG, Cavani: "I am happy here"
- 31 Oct 07:27 EINTRACHT, Hubner: "Zambrano going nowhere"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 31 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I can still give a lot to this club"
- 31 Oct 06:00 AC MILAN, Torres: "Leaving Chelsea was my choice"
- 31 Oct 00:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA: Arsenal and Chelsea keen on Destro
- 30 Oct 23:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, De Pauw extends for Lokeren
- 30 Oct 22:00 FRANCE/ O.L., Gonalons towards renewal
- 30 Oct 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Zuculini might get back from Valencia in January
- 30 Oct 20:00 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, 3 Premier League top suitors for Toprak
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says David Silva is out for three weeks with a knee ligament injury picked up against Newcastle in the League Cup.
The Spain international underwent a scan on Thursday after limping off after just nine minutes of the 2-0 defeat to Alan
Interviewed by Teleducato, Parma CEO Pietro Leonardi has declared: "At the moment I woul be happy to recover Paletta, Biabiany and Cassani. Of co
Interviewed by Diesefoot.fr, Sevilla FC midfielder Stéphane Mbia has declared: "Coming back here has always been my priority. Together wit
Talking about team news regarding injured and suspended players, the day before Premier League home match against Burnley, Arsenal manager Arsè
Commenting upon the 2 goals scored against Bordeaux, Paris Saint-Germain offensive midfielder and winger Lucas Moura stated: "I'm very happy
Commenting upon the 3-0 inflicted to St. Pauli, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp stated: "We had a very good first half, we deserved to get