EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Manděukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "Iím better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" Iím chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis SuŠrez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Oct 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Valdes decreases fee request
- 21 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Levante fire Mendilibar
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 21 Oct 07:27 OL, Ferri: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 21 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Reus? We'll make a decision with calm"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 21 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Nainggolan: "My future? I evaluate year by year"
- 20 Oct 23:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Samba
- 20 Oct 22:57 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Rui Duarte quits Olhanense
- 20 Oct 22:29 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Also Liverpool after Casilla
- 20 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Zappacosta the alternative to Lichtsteiner
- 20 Oct 21:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Djukic is Cordoba new coach
- 20 Oct 21:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Trying to extend Bellarabi's deal
- 20 Oct 20:37 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Keen on Bergessio
- 20 Oct 20:17 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Keen on Joao Pereira
- 20 Oct 19:59 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Uche about to renew
- 20 Oct 19:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Smith back to Liverpool
- 20 Oct 19:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Mario Suarez
- 20 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ferrer is no longer Cordoba coach
- 20 Oct 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Rolando always closer
- 20 Oct 18:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Munir towards Celta
- 20 Oct 18:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Three options for Ilicic
- 20 Oct 17:58 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City: away on loan Butland
- 20 Oct 17:31 AS ROMA, De Rossi: "We play better in the Champions League"
- 20 Oct 17:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, A surgery forThiago Alcantara
- 20 Oct 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Obiang still on Benitez's wishlist
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 16:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Approaching Reid
- 20 Oct 16:15 BELGIUM/ STANDARD LIEGE, Suitors for Mpoku increasing
- 20 Oct 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Okazaki
- 20 Oct 15:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez back tracking Mario Suarez
- 20 Oct 15:30 ATALANTA & CAGLIARI, Duel to Chievo on Milovic
- 20 Oct 15:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayew's purchase in January due to Balotelli letdown
- 20 Oct 15:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Standard Liege fire Luzon
- 20 Oct 14:45 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Eyes on Embolo
- 20 Oct 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, January move for Carvalho ready
- 20 Oct 14:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New surveys on Darmian
- 20 Oct 14:00 FRANCE/ RENNES, Keen on Piatti
- 20 Oct 13:45 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I left the pitch angrily because I knew I could have played better"
- 20 Oct 13:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, No agreement on Gaitan's renewal
- 20 Oct 13:15 CROATIA/ HAJDUK SPLIT, Italian scouting for Caktas
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 12:45 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Keen on Grahl
- 20 Oct 12:30 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, 3-fold winter duel for Gabbiadini
- 20 Oct 12:15 AC MILAN & INTER, Brozovic on target
- 20 Oct 12:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Eyes on Piazon
- 20 Oct 11:46 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Winter attempt for Gignac on tabs
- 20 Oct 11:32 ARSENAL, Wenger after the 2-2 against Hull: "We need more balance and defensive efficiency"
- 20 Oct 11:17 ENGLAND/ QPR, Redknapp hard on Taarabt. Likely-to-be January move
Still partially unsatisfied with Simon Mignolet's performances, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers keeps on hoping in signing former Barcelona FC Number One Victor Valdes (32). 1982-born Spanish international, coming from a tough injury, has on the purpose decreased his 6 mill
Interviewed by Sporza.be, AS Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has declared: "I don't know what will happen in the future, I make my evaluatio
Interviewed by The Sun, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I loved England; I was very happy at Chelsea. I liked the atmosphere, th
Through his Twitter profile, Arsenal forward Lukas Podolski has denied the possibility to join Tottenham: "Hell will freeze before this transfer
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
As reported by Kicker, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus: "To be