EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 12:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 10 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique hospitalized
- 07 Jun 09:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Perea will undergo surgery
- 05 Jun 11:10 ENGLAND, Hodgson takes positives
- 05 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ GENOA, New meeting with the Chinese investors
- 04 Jun 09:17 FRANCE/ OM, Anigo no longer the Sports Director
- 03 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo underwent surgery
- 01 Jun 10:27 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo injured
- 31 May 09:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Puyol is a Barcelona new executive
- 30 May 09:17 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Eriksson injured
- 29 May 09:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Today the decision about the next EL
- 28 May 16:59 HOLLAND, Van der Vaart to miss Brazil
- 28 May 16:51 ARGENTINA, Di Maria: "If we don't win the World Cup, it will be a failure"
- 28 May 09:17 ITALY/ PALERMO, Perinetti intended to leave
- 27 May 16:14 CROATIA, Kranjcar: "I'm really sorry that I will not be able to play in Brazil"
- 27 May 09:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez undergoes surgery
- 26 May 15:44 GHANA, Appiah will stay until 2016
- 25 May 10:27 GHANA/ OFFICIAL, Appiah will train the NT until 2017
- 23 May 18:14 US World Cup squad, Altidore preferred to former captain Landon Donovan
- 23 May 09:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa recovering
- 22 May 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, De Sanctis underwent surgery
- 21 May 18:30 ITALY - Abete, Prandelli and Immobile condemns racist chants directed at Italy's Balotelli
- 21 May 10:47 ENGLAND, Beckham believes in NT squad
- 21 Aug 02:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Offer to Eto'o submitted: waiting for Cameroonian star's answer
- 21 Aug 01:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Everton sign youngster Ledson on first pro contract
- 21 Aug 01:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Cuéllar joins Norwich City
- 21 Aug 00:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Baniyas sign Verdù and Dealbert
- 20 Aug 21:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR sign Leroy Fer
- 20 Aug 20:59 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Lead on Aboubakar
- 20 Aug 20:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Dzeko renews with City
- 20 Aug 20:20 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Also Sampdoria after Stambouli
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 19:44 ENGLAND/ CELTIC, Ready the offer for Bo-kyung
- 20 Aug 19:31 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Courtois: "Gaining confidence"
- 20 Aug 19:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, enquiries about Richards and Nastasic
- 20 Aug 19:00 ITALY/ JUVE, Marotta: "No trade for Vidal"
- 20 Aug 18:44 HOLLAND/ PSV, Brands: "Bakkali will stay"
- 20 Aug 18:31 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA, Fernandez: "I dreamt to play in Premier"
- 20 Aug 18:22 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Stall on Borini: turning to United's Welbeck
- 20 Aug 18:14 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Hetemaj extends for Chievo Verona
- 20 Aug 18:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia: arrived on loan Cancelo
- 20 Aug 17:49 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, €25m Carvalho bid rejected by Sporting
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 17:37 FRANCE/ O.M., Opening on Konko
- 20 Aug 17:25 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Niang set and willing to stay
- 20 Aug 17:14 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Eyes on Verratti
- 20 Aug 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Coquelin is expected to stay at the Gunners
- 20 Aug 16:43 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, No chance for Miguel Veloso arrival
- 20 Aug 16:34 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Muller: "I turned down Man Utd"
- 20 Aug 16:14 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Khedira would be perfect for us"
- 20 Aug 15:59 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Bojinov has emerged as a shock target for West Ham
- 20 Aug 15:52 ITALY/ NAPOLI, No more Fellaini pursuing: foot injury for former Toffees star
- 20 Aug 15:44 GREECE/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Panathinaikos close to Alfaro
- 20 Aug 15:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid renew Modric's contract
- 20 Aug 15:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Guzman joins Napoli
- 20 Aug 15:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fernandez Joins Swansea
- 20 Aug 14:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Sporting Lisbon denied receiving any offer for Carvalho
- 20 Aug 14:44 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR, Lucescu to Ac Milan: "For D. Costa needs the clubs agreement"
- 20 Aug 14:39 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, United reach agreement with Sporting for Rojo
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 14:13 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC BILBAO, Muniain: "I think against Napoli it's still 50/50 who goes through
- 20 Aug 14:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Approaching Stendardo
- 20 Aug 13:48 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Sprint on Donadel's return
- 20 Aug 13:36 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, A new contestant for former Arsenal star Song
- 20 Aug 13:24 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Eyes on Pablo Alvarez
- 20 Aug 13:12 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, A new Italian pursuer for Lisandro Lopez
- 20 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A new loan suitor for young goalie Gabriel
- 20 Aug 12:48 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Attempt for Iturraspe ready
- 20 Aug 12:36 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Keen on Andreolli
- 20 Aug 12:24 CHELSEA & MANCHESTER UNITED, Back dueling with Bayern on Benatia
- 20 Aug 12:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Chitu resigns from Valenciennes
- 20 Aug 12:00 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Offer for Xhaka submitted
- 20 Aug 11:48 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, 2 Football Championship giants keen on Jordon Ibe's loan
According to latest rumours coming from UK sources, Cameroonian international striker Samuel Eto'o (33) has received an offer, adequate to his requests. Now former Barcelona FC, Inter and Chelsea star player is supposed to give his answer to Reds once and for all, after that
Mbaye Niang has been speaking exclusively to Milan Channel: "The loan period in France helped me develop both on and off the pitch. I like when w
Luka Modric spoke of his satisfaction after renewing with Real Madrid. “I’m very happy, today is an important day for me. I’d like t
Wojciech Szczesny has praised Calum Chambers for the way he's adapted to playing at centre back since he joined Arsenal.
The 19-year-old produc
Interviewed by ESPN, PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has declared about the possibility to end his career at the French club: "I have a contract u
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr