EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news News
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 04 Aug 10:15 VIDEO NEWS - AC Milan 1-3 Chelsea
- 02 Aug 16:55 BAYERN MUNICH, Alonso and Bernat go ghosthunting
- 30 Jul 22:30 OFFICIAL - PSV sign Teze on first pro contract
- 28 Jul 16:30 Chelsea vs Liverpool 1-0 All Goals & Highlights International
- 28 Jul 11:25 EUROPA LEAGUE third qualifying round line-up
- 21 Jul 21:45 OFFICIAL - Tavernier extends for Glasgow Rangers
- 21 Jul 12:31 MANCHESTER UNITED - Beckham backs Mourinho up
- 21 Jul 11:30 VIDEO NEWS - Pelle opens his account for Shandong
- 13 Jul 12:30 EIBAR sign ex Manchester UTD Bebe
- 13 Jul 10:56 ENGLAND -Sunderland confirmed Allardyce permission to speak over the England manager's job
- 12 Jul 18:31 CHELSEA - Andy Myers to leave staff role
- 07 Jul 14:53 EURO 2016 -5 Things... Ronaldo helps fire Portugal into Euro finals
- 24 Jun 17:09 OFFICIAL - Young Scotsman Tierney extends for CELTIC
- 23 Jun 18:46 EURO 2016 - SPAIN, De Gea: "Thanks to the critics, you motivate me"
- 22 Jun 08:57 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 21 Jun 16:57 EURO 2016 Sweden striker Ibrahimovic to retire from international football
- 21 Jun 10:36 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 17 Jun 19:38 IRELAND - Arter: "I'm always listening to Roy Keane"
- 17 Jun 11:36 EURO 2016: Germany 0-0 Poland Video review
- 17 Jun 09:15 EURO 2016: Today Matches
- 23 Oct 00:03 ARSENAL target Fiorentina young goalie SATALINO
- 22 Oct 23:34 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - CICCONE sign new contract for VADUZ
- 22 Oct 23:10 CHELSEA ready to try signing KEANE from Burnley
- 22 Oct 22:23 BOLTON WANDERERS weigh up signing ODEMWINGIE
- 22 Oct 21:51 LIGUE 1/ Full Time scores Matchday 10
- 22 Oct 21:43 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - ST. GALLEN sign ARATORE on new contract
- 22 Oct 21:40 SERIE A / MILAN 1-0 JUVENTUS - FT
- 22 Oct 21:02 ARSENAL, Lucas Perez: "I don't think OZIL will leave for Real Madrid"
- 22 Oct 20:41 SERIE A / MILAN 0-0 JUVENTUS - HT
- 22 Oct 20:25 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA 2-3 BARCELONA - FT
- 22 Oct 20:20 BAYERN MUNICH offer ROBBEN a new contract
- 22 Oct 19:49 BUNDESLIGA/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 8
- 22 Oct 19:48 MILAN v JUVENTUS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 19:41 EVERTON back for GABBIADINI in January
- 22 Oct 19:21 SERIE A / SAMPDORIA 2-1 GENOA - FT
- 22 Oct 19:09 INTER MILAN willing to try KOMPANY winter hit
- 22 Oct 18:36 FIORENTINA back for SAPONARA
- 22 Oct 18:02 LIVERPOOL - Lead over Valencia on INSIGNE
- 22 Oct 17:31 GERRARD says LA GALAXY farewell: "You made me feel like home"
- 22 Oct 17:03 PREMIER LEAGUE - 9 Fiixture Saturday Afternoon Scores
- 22 Oct 16:56 WATFORD, Ighalo's agent: "NAPOLI? Signing him in January would be hard. CHELSEA and UNITED wanted him too"
- 22 Oct 16:22 JUVENTUS want to sign PSG star Thiago Silva on a free transfer
- 22 Oct 15:54 ARSENAL eye Satalino move as long-term replacement
- 22 Oct 15:30 CHELSEA youngster Solanke to pen a new deal
- 22 Oct 15:06 MAN CITY lining up Fabinho move
- 22 Oct 14:54 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA v BARCELONA - Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:47 LIGA BBVA/ ESPANYOL 3-3 EIBAR - FT
- 22 Oct 14:40 ARSENAL, Bellerin on BARÇA's interest: "I wouldn't even answer the phone"
- 22 Oct 14:37 PL/ HULL CITY v STOKE CITY, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:36 PL/ WEST HAM v SUNDERLAND, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:34 PL/ BURNLEY v EVERTON, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:32 PL/ SWANSEA v WATFORD, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:29 PL/ LEICESTER CITY v CRYSTAL PALACE, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:28 PL/ ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 14:21 PL/ BOURNEMOUTH v SPURS 0-0 FT
- 22 Oct 14:18 ATHLETIC BILBAO - LIVERPOOL ready to pay Inaki Williams buy-out clause
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 22 Oct 13:33 NAPOLI eye Zaza move to replace Milik
- 22 Oct 13:06 AC MILAN keen on TOTTENHAM winger Lamela
- 22 Oct 12:39 MAN UNITED, Mourinho: "Abramovic and I never close friends"
- 22 Oct 12:11 CHELSEA, Conte: "We won't play against Mourinho"
- 22 Oct 11:42 PL/ BOURNEMOUTH v SPURS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 11:14 INTER MILAN ready to place Darmian bid in January
- 22 Oct 10:50 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We have to add players in January"
- 22 Oct 10:21 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "No bad feelings, I'll always be grateful to CHELSEA"
- 22 Oct 09:46 REAL MADRID - After Modric also CR7 and Bale will extends their deal
- 22 Oct 09:18 MAN CITY - Guardiola: "Aguero is free to leave where he wants"
- 22 Oct 08:47 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "CHELSEA fans always sticked with me, also in bad moments"
- 22 Oct 08:16 SPURS - Pochettino wants more power on the market
- 22 Oct 00:01 REAL MADRID - MODRIC turned down Chinese maxi-offer before signing new contract
Former Nigerian international forward Peter Odemwingie (35), according to UK news, might be soon signed by Bolton Wanderers. The player, who collected a massive Premier League experience through the years, mostly as a member of West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City, is a free
Coming from a start of season much poorer than expected at Empoli, Italian attacking midfielder/half-forward Riccardo Saponara (24), according to La G
Currently on a deal with Las Palmas until June 2020, Spanish midfielder Vicente Gomez (28), according to Mundo Deportivo, has been targeted by Valenci
According to French media, Olympique Marseille top brass, after having signed Rudi Garcia as their new manager, have targeted 3 names for the mar
FC Köln announced having extended their deal with Japanese winger/forward Yuya Osako (26) until June 2020. Former Munich 1860 and Kashi