CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 05 May 10:34 LEICESTER tried to appoint Hiddink
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 09:47 HUDDERSFIELD - Danny Ward on target
- 04 May 09:26 LIVERPOOL - Caulker to leave
- 03 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Fellaini and Huth face 3 match ban
- 03 May 18:02 TOTTENHAM - Rose: "I'm sorry if it looked bad on TV"
- 03 May 17:22 LIVERPOOL - Can back to training
- 03 May 16:57 STOKE CITY - Club announces new kit makers
- 03 May 16:22 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We won't defend our title next year"
- 03 May 15:42 LIVERPOOL - Sakho given worldwide ban
- 03 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM - Kane: "It's just a disappointing night"
- 03 May 14:47 EVERTON - Jagielka to return before end of season
- 03 May 14:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - David De Gea breaks award record
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 02 May 10:45 CHELSEA - Obi Mikel set for a stay
- 02 May 10:25 ARSENAL - Target Tierney
- 28 May 12:43 MANCHESTER UNITED - Juan Mata wants assurance over future
- 28 May 12:28 LIVERPOOL set to move for Vidal
- 28 May 12:14 CHELSEA - Eden Hazard keen to stay
- 28 May 11:58 CRYSTAL PALACE - Keshi Anderson to extend
- 28 May 11:44 NAPOLI to enter talks with Juventus for Neto
- 28 May 11:38 INTER MILAN try to sign Vilna
- 28 May 11:15 BARCELONA want to "steal" Juventus target Berardi
- 28 May 11:01 BORUSSIA DORTMUND place a £10m bid to sign Guerreiro
- 28 May 10:45 VALENCIA lining up a move for Diawara
- 28 May 10:34 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte to let Oscar go
- 28 May 10:31 BORDEAUX appoint Jocelyn Gourvennec
- 28 May 10:15 ARSENAL set sights on Duvan Zapata
- 28 May 09:59 CHELSEA - Courtois set to stay
- 28 May 09:45 MANCHESTER UNITED - Yorke: "If Zlatan joins will be a huge step"
- 28 May 09:22 UCL FINAL - REAL MADRID v ATLETICO MADRID Team News
- 28 May 09:01 UCL/FINAL, ATLETICO MADRID vs REAL MADRID - Predicted Line Ups
- 28 May 03:00 REAL MADRID, Juventus has a plan on Kovacic: Zidane might accept
- 28 May 02:45 MEXICO/ SANTOS LAGUNA, 4 European big clubs on Nestor Araujo
- 28 May 02:30 JUVENTUS, Hernanes refused Chinese offer
- 28 May 02:15 PSG, Keen on Rudiger
- 28 May 02:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Metz sign veteran Signorino back
- 28 May 01:45 SOUTHAMPTON & CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Gabbiadini
- 28 May 01:30 JUVENTUS, Meeting with André Gomes' entourage
- 28 May 01:15 AS ROMA, Eyes on Iñigo Martinez
- 28 May 01:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho wants Florenzi (together with Manolas)
- 28 May 00:45 LAZIO, Suggestion for Sneijder
- 28 May 00:30 AC MILAN, Eyes on Masina
- 28 May 00:15 LEICESTER CITY, All on Nampalys Mendy if Kanté leaves
- 28 May 00:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Eyes on Papastathopoulos
- 27 May 23:45 GERMANY/ FC KOLN, Suggestion for Obinna
- 27 May 23:30 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Survey on Kragl
- 27 May 23:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Noah Sylvestre on first pro contract
- 27 May 23:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Witsel about to renew
- 27 May 22:45 HAMBURG, Approaching Isma Lopez
- 27 May 22:31 CHELSEA - Courtois committed to Blues
- 27 May 22:18 JUVENTUS, From Spain: Dani Alves about to join
- 27 May 22:03 SOUTHAMPTON, Offer for Kessié submitted to Atalanta
- 27 May 21:50 CRYSTAL PALACE - Anderson agrees new contract
- 27 May 21:44 ENGLAND 2-1 AUSTRALIA, Rashford scores on international debut
- 27 May 21:29 WEST HAM chairman admits a top striker is the main priority
- 27 May 21:15 PSG, From France: meeting with Morata's entourage
- 27 May 21:01 CRYSTAL PALACE set to place a bid for Caulker
- 27 May 20:47 CL Final press conference Simeone full statement - 'Only winning would satisfy me'
- 27 May 20:45 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Orel Mangala about to join
- 27 May 20:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Anderlecht, an Italian offer for Matias Suarez
- 27 May 20:28 CL Final press conference Zidane full statement - Ronald 100% fit
- 27 May 20:15 FC SEVILLE, Praet's father confirms agreement
- 27 May 20:00 FIORENTINA, Mati Fernandez might join Torino on loan
- 27 May 19:45 NAPOLI, Steps forward towards Vrsaljko: a plan is drawn
- 27 May 19:30 MLS - USA/ MIAMI UNITED, Adriano might be soon resigning
While his contacts with AC Milan are stalling, Croatian international playmaking and offensive midfielder Mateo Kovacic (22), according to Italian news, is being approached by Juventus management more and more seriously. Italian club have proposed Real Madrid a loan including a h
Inter vicepresident Javier Zanetti has spoken at Radio Cooperativa, about Gary Medel's future. "Gary is a very important player for us, for i
After having already trained them back in 2003/04, Spanish 61 years old Juande Ramos has been appointed again Malaga manager. Former Dnipro Dnipr
Jose Mourinho is keen for Manchester United to forget a spluttering three years under David Moyes and Louis van Gaal as he begins the process of makin
Lille, according on his official site, has communicated goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama's renewal contract. Nigerian player has signed until 2019.
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Kicker magazine that he has discussed with Mario Gotze his future at the club and told him he needs