CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 19 Jun 08:39 Fixture list for the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League
- 19 Jun 06:15 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Happy of Pennant extension"
- 18 Jun 06:15 ARSENAL, Kolscielny's agent: "He's on Bayern and Barça wishlist"
- 17 Jun 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "Everybody dreams of Real or Barça"
- 16 Jun 06:59 CHELSEA, Mata: "I am not leaving"
- 15 Jun 06:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UTD, Welbeck targeting more goals
- 14 Jun 19:59 ARSENAL, Sir Chips Keswick is the new chairman
- 14 Jun 18:00 ENGLAND, Hill-Wood ends Arsenal reign
- 14 Jun 06:15 WBA, Gera's agent: "We hope to find an agreement with the club"
- 12 Jun 07:00 MAN. UNITED, Van Persie: "A new era will start"
- 12 Jun 06:15 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "Wenger is not scared to spend money"
- 11 Jun 11:10 LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I'm on a deal with Reds, but any player would like to join Real Madrid"
- 11 Jun 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel's agent: "No ocntacts with Napoli"
- 10 Jun 12:02 ARSENAL, Wenger on Asian football: "They love us and Premier League. Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam are growing, football-wise"
- 10 Jun 06:15 EVERTON, Martinez: "Fellaini's future? There is nothing to speak about"
- 09 Jun 07:27 LIVERPOOL, Reina: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 08 Jun 06:29 SWANSEA, Laudrup's agent: "He won't join Fenerbahçe"
- 07 Jun 17:20 ARSENAL, gm Gazidis: "Rooney? We can purchase any player"
- 07 Jun 06:15 ARSENAL, Arshavin's agent: "He could move back to Russia"
- 06 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "Looking forward to work with Mourinho"
- 05 Jun 17:30 LIVERPOOL, Deny reports of Gerrard shoulder surgery setback
- 05 Jun 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I loved training in Japan, great freedom and commitment"
- 05 Jun 06:15 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Back to Prague? No, I am staying here"
- 04 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Not signing Bale, what a mistake of mine!"
- 04 Jun 16:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Next season we'll need to be more consistent"
- 04 Jun 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Reina: "Barcelona? Only rumours!"
- 03 Jun 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Who might ever refuse to sign Rooney?"
- 03 Jun 06:15 EVERTON, Heitinga: "I could join Fenrbahçe"
- 01 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Al Mubarak: "The new manager? In two weeks"
- 31 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Ramires'agent: "Napoli? He has four years left on his contract"
- 30 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "I am happy here"
- 29 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "If an offer were to come in I would consider it seriously"
- 28 May 09:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Getting to next Champions League was very important"
- 28 May 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "He doesn't want to leave England"
- 27 May 06:39 ARSENAL, Wenger: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am staying here and I hope Rooney will do the same"
- 24 May 06:19 MAN. UTD, Moyes: "Happy that Ferdinand has extended"
- 23 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Suarez won't move"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Id love to have signed Beckham"
- 20 Jun 00:00 INTER, Donati's agent: "He would be happy to move to Germany"
- 19 Jun 23:50 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Cavani unlikely to join
- 19 Jun 23:40 UKRAINE/ DYNAMO, Eyes on Savic
- 19 Jun 23:30 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, The plan for Isco
- 19 Jun 23:20 RUSSIA/ ANZHI, Agreement for Kerzhakov
- 19 Jun 23:10 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Keen on two Manchester City players
- 19 Jun 23:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Sprint for Pjanic
- 19 Jun 22:50 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Meeting with Di Natale
- 19 Jun 22:40 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Higuain gets closer
- 19 Jun 22:30 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting with Chivu
- 19 Jun 22:20 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Sevidov is Karpaty new coach
- 19 Jun 22:10 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Still keen on Yilmaz
- 19 Jun 22:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Lokomotiv sign Tkachev
- 19 Jun 21:50 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Also some Russian clubs after El Shaarawy
- 19 Jun 21:40 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Keseru
- 19 Jun 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New offer for Kolarov ready
- 19 Jun 21:20 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Four suitors for Nico Lopez
- 19 Jun 21:10 INTER & AC MILAN, Nocerino-Silvestre possible swap
- 19 Jun 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Paletta
- 19 Jun 20:50 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, A Serie A suitor back for Cristian Baroni
- 19 Jun 20:40 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Petagna still on target
- 19 Jun 20:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 4 Serie A suitors for Bressan
- 19 Jun 20:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Confirms on Gündogan about to join
- 19 Jun 20:10 INTER & PARMA, Cassano-Belfodil swap about to be announced
- 19 Jun 20:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, Napoli challenged on signing Rami
- 19 Jun 19:50 ITALY/ UDINESE, Duel to Parma for Abel Hernandez
- 19 Jun 19:40 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Sealing the deal for Nainggolan
- 19 Jun 19:30 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Lucio offered to two Bundesliga giants
- 19 Jun 19:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Ultimate attempt for ter Stegen
- 19 Jun 19:10 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Juventus renew Boakye and Immobile's co-ownerships with Genoa
- 19 Jun 19:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Eyes on Dong-Won Ji
- 19 Jun 18:50 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Moberg Karlsson
- 19 Jun 18:40 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier could extend
- 19 Jun 18:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino sign Stevanovic on permanent deal
- 19 Jun 18:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer for Marramendi
- 19 Jun 18:10 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Offer for Longo
- 19 Jun 18:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Sprint for Raffael
- 19 Jun 17:50 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Espanyol sign Fuentes
- 19 Jun 17:40 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Target Grenier may sign one-year contract extension at O.L
- 19 Jun 17:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna is still talking terms
- 19 Jun 17:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Frankfurt in Bendtner talks
- 19 Jun 17:10 ENGLAND/ SHEFFIELD UTD, Mandaric eyes Owls signings
- 19 Jun 17:00 ITALY/ CATANIA, Alvarez's agent: "The club rejected West Ham"
- 19 Jun 16:50 FRANCE/ PSG, One of the market targets is David Luiz
- 19 Jun 16:40 ITALY/ TAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Inter signed definitively Silvestre
- 19 Jun 16:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Parma: renewal of the co-ownership deal of Chibsah
- 19 Jun 16:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Juventus: Co-ownership agreement summary
- 19 Jun 16:10 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Clemens joins Schalke 04
- 19 Jun 15:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Verratti agent: "Next week we'll meet Leonardo "
- 19 Jun 15:47 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo: renewed the agreement for Stoian
Silvio Pagliari, agent of Inter Milan 23 year old defender Giulio Donati, has declared: "It's true, yesterday we have met Bayer Leverkusen. The negotiation is not over yet, but we are optimistic. We are waiting for the player to come back, in any cae he would be...
Silvio Pagliari, agent of Inter Milan 23 year old defender Giulio Donati, has declared: "It's true, yesterday we have met Bayer...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea 21 year old goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared: "I am happy to...
The fixture list for 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season has been released.
Please find below the fixtures. All kick-off times are 3pm,...
Interviewed by Bild, Uli Ferber, agent of Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez, has declared: "Fiorentina are not the only club interested, as...
Interviewed by TMW, Oscar Damiani, agent of Saint-Etienne 23 year old forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, has declared: "Roma coach Rudi...