CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 30 Nov 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Delph could leave"
- 29 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, Man of the match Cazorla on victory over WBA: "Important result, now we need to play the same way"
- 29 Nov 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "A few months ago I was the manager of the year..."
- 28 Nov 20:37 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger: "We need balance between attacking and defending. WBA's technical level is really good"
- 28 Nov 15:00 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger on team news: "Szczesny out, Koscielny might start"
- 28 Nov 06:29 STOKE, Bojan: "Back to Barça? I can't close any door"
- 27 Nov 18:28 ARSENAL, Medical report on Wilshere: surgery done
- 26 Nov 18:02 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Chambers: "We'll heed Dortmund warning"
- 26 Nov 17:18 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "We know how it works with criticisms. I strongly believe in my players"
- 26 Nov 13:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "Koscielny is back. I don't know if Welbeck starts"
- 26 Nov 11:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Ramsey: "Now I feel sharp again. Goals will come"
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 24 Nov 14:15 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We can defeat Dortmund at Emirates and qualify for CL final 16"
- 24 Nov 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "No offers for Cech"
- 23 Nov 06:59 SOTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin's future? We'll see,,"
- 23 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after United failure: "We dominated for most of the game"
- 22 Nov 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "We are seeking a forward"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 19 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Sometimes I get nervous watching my teammates' games"
- 19 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "Games against United and Dortmund might get us on top"
- 19 Nov 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "Arnautović will stay"
- 18 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Nov 19:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Now we must be all ready to fight. This season has been a rollercoaster up to now"
- 17 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I want to be back in December. I'm improving a lot here, quality-wise"
- 17 Nov 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "PSG was an option, but.."
- 16 Nov 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Pochettino is not to blame"
- 16 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on NT specificities: "Poland have very good goalies, Italians defend better. Spanish ones are the most technical, English go on fighting spirit, German are balanced"
- 15 Nov 06:29 WEST HAM, Gold: "Zarate doesn't want to leave"
- 14 Nov 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 13 Nov 06:15 Southampton, Schneiderlin: "I want to play for a big club"
- 12 Nov 19:29 ARSENAL, Ospina: "I started as a striker. I'm doing my best in one of the best clubs worldwide"
- 12 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, Anderson: "I could move back to Grèmio"
- 11 Nov 19:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Valdes is training with reserve squad, hope we'll know more about him soon"
- 10 Nov 17:23 ARSENAL, Olsson: "The most important thing is that I get to play on as high level "
- 10 Nov 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I could have moved back to Italy"
- 09 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I didn't want Fabianski to leave. Swansea are a tough opponent"
- 08 Nov 13:00 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott needs some time"
- 08 Nov 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We don't want to sell Touré"
- 07 Nov 09:17 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere's back, Arteta will be out"
- 07 Nov 06:39 STOKE, Bojan: "I am happy here"
- 06 Nov 21:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "My priority is helping defence, since we are a very offensive team"
- 06 Nov 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Lucas: "Napoli were after me"
- 05 Nov 06:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on 3-3 against Anderlecht: "We got punished. Losing Arteta was fatal"
- 04 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL, Arteta on Chambers: "I'm pleased by his bravery, he's so confident"
- 04 Nov 17:15 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "He hasn't got to be obsessed with scoring goals"
- 03 Nov 15:14 ARSENAL, Wenger: "England must be cautious with Walcott"
- 03 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Chambers: "Scoring has been a dream for me"
- 03 Nov 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez is one of those players who can make the difference"
- 02 Nov 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "We were after Ulloa"
- 31 Oct 16:30 ARSENAL v BURNLEY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere won't probably be available"
- 31 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I feel confident here. Champions League debut gave me goosebumps"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 19 Dec 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is no longer the NT coach
- 19 Dec 07:27 OM, Doria's agent: "He could leave"
- 19 Dec 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I think that Shaqiri and Højbjerg will stay"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 19 Dec 00:00 FIORENTINA, Rodriguez: "I would like to end my career at San Lorenzo"
- 18 Dec 23:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Heitinga could leave
- 18 Dec 22:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Offer for Conte ready
- 18 Dec 22:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Bellerín from Bayer Leverkusen
- 18 Dec 21:59 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Hany Mukhtar
- 18 Dec 21:30 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Duel to QPR on bringing Defoe back to Premier League
- 18 Dec 21:00 RUSSIA/ CSKA MOSCOW, Babaev: "Doumbia is worth 25 million euros. Tottenham? Nothing mroe than what you read in the papers"
- 18 Dec 20:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: Majestic offer for Barça's Pedro ready
- 18 Dec 19:57 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Alejandro Rodriguez
- 18 Dec 19:35 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, One more suitor for Dembelé
- 18 Dec 19:02 ITALY/ TORINO, Willing to sign Kurtic back
- 18 Dec 18:31 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Assault on De Jong ready
- 18 Dec 18:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Winter attempt for Ledesma ready
- 18 Dec 17:29 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Süleyman Koc
- 18 Dec 16:59 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Musona joins KV Oostende
- 18 Dec 16:30 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Los Angeles Galaxy sign Ariel Lassiter
- 18 Dec 16:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Suggestion for Pavoletti
- 18 Dec 15:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bordeaux renew Thomas Touré's contract long-term
- 18 Dec 14:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Paulo Oliveira
- 18 Dec 14:29 USA/ OFFICIAL, Fort Lauderdale sign James Marcelin
- 18 Dec 13:59 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Opening on Alex Teixeira
- 18 Dec 13:30 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 18 Dec 13:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Uche extends for Villarreal
- 18 Dec 12:27 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Vieirinha about to renew
- 18 Dec 11:57 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Grahl on target
- 18 Dec 11:29 ENGLAND/ QPR, Negotiating with Colchoneros on Cristian Rodriguez's loan
- 18 Dec 10:59 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Ward about to renew
- 18 Dec 10:30 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Wesley Sneijder on target
- 18 Dec 10:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Aiming to Nastasic's loan: Arsenal, West Ham, Juventus and AS Roma challenged
- 18 Dec 09:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pato is always closer
- 18 Dec 09:51 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eye on Josip Ilicic
- 18 Dec 09:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Eyes on Acquah
- 18 Dec 09:30 ITALY/ INTER, Duel to Napoli and Porto for signing Camacho
- 18 Dec 09:15 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Suggestion for Taarabt
- 18 Dec 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Attempt for Lacazette
- 18 Dec 08:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on Misimovic
- 18 Dec 08:30 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Renewal offer for Toni ready
- 18 Dec 08:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, 2 Premier League rival suitors for Gayle
- 18 Dec 08:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Borussia Dortmund and Napoli on Trapp
- 18 Dec 07:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Naismith extends for Everton
- 18 Dec 07:17 AC MILAN, Bonera: "Victory over Napoli give us confidence for facing AS Roma"
- 18 Dec 06:59 BARCELONA FC, Xavi: "We want to win all this year. I'm still excited as at the start of my career"
- 18 Dec 06:39 SCHALKE 04, Di Matteo: "We've also been lucky against Paderborn"
- 18 Dec 06:20 PSG, Bahebeck after victory over Ajaccio: "I'm very happy with my game"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
Premier League debutant Hector Bellerín (19), highly appraised by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger and possibly having his own deal with Gunners extended beyond June 2015, is being surveyed by Bayer Leverkusen management, according to Kicker. Former Barcelona FC youth
Interviewed by Radio Blu, Fiorentina defender Gonzalo Rodriguez has declared: "I have three more years on my contract. I have renewed because the
Eduardo Hernandez, agent of Real Madrid forward Javier Hernandez, has declared: "Sometimes the paper speculate on certain things, and considered
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has declared about the possibility to extend his contract: "It’s the same as it’s been all season. We&
One of the main players in Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 victory over Ajaccio in Coupe de la Ligue latest match, French forward Jean-Christophe Bahebeck sta
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 23-year-old winger Xherdan Shaqiri and 19-year-old midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg: "