CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 23:27 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Also OM after Ghilas
- 01 Aug 22:57 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S, Banega could come back
- 01 Aug 22:29 ITALY/ INTER, Osvaldo about to join
- 01 Aug 21:59 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Brandao's signing failed
- 01 Aug 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Done for Romulo
- 01 Aug 21:00 NORWAY/ STROMSGODSET, Auction for Ödegaard
- 01 Aug 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mission for Campbell
- 01 Aug 20:17 PARAGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Olimpia sign Acuña
- 01 Aug 19:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Contacts for Jesé Rodriguez
- 01 Aug 19:39 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV sign Lukovic
- 01 Aug 19:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Sandro
- 01 Aug 19:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL,Ochoa joins Malaga
- 01 Aug 18:44 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMTON, Koeman: "We are looking for the best for Osvaldo"
- 01 Aug 18:31 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Eyes on Cardozo
- 01 Aug 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, a season-long loan deal for Facundo Ferreyra
- 01 Aug 18:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Munari can move on loan to Watford
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 17:35 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Lica joins Rayo Vallecano
- 01 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hangeland joins Crystal Palace
- 01 Aug 17:13 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campell is part of my plans"
- 01 Aug 16:58 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Dier move agreed
- 01 Aug 16:50 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "It's a possibility that Vermaelen goes"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 16:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Mandanda
- 01 Aug 16:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, 15 million euros needed for purchasing Mustafi: Juventus, AC Milan and Wolfsburg await
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ultimate move for Moreno ready
- 01 Aug 15:45 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Duel to PSG for Cech
- 01 Aug 15:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Feddal about to be signed
- 01 Aug 15:15 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Luna more and more likely to join Italian side
- 01 Aug 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Willing to blaze Borussia on Kagawa: United's request
- 01 Aug 14:44 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Suggestion for Pinilla
- 01 Aug 14:30 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa, new effort for Niang: the alternative is Baptistao
- 01 Aug 14:13 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL, Milevsky joins Hajduk Spalato
- 01 Aug 14:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Cristian Zapata from AC Milan
- 01 Aug 13:45 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan Aké might be loaned out to Derby County
- 01 Aug 13:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Ultimate strain for signing Hummels
- 01 Aug 13:15 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Biabiany: Botta as a counterpart
- 01 Aug 13:02 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Seferovic joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 01 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Obinna set to join if Bianchi trade fails
- 01 Aug 12:54 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Puyol gives the jersey number 5 to Busquets
- 01 Aug 12:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ryo Miyaichi's future in jeopardy
- 01 Aug 12:31 ITALY/ JUVE, Thinking about Vlaar
- 01 Aug 12:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio: arrives Braafheid
- 01 Aug 12:15 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tiago Ilori might join on loan
- 01 Aug 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Duel to Juventus and AC Milan on Lavezzi
- 01 Aug 11:45 HUNGARY/ HALADAS, Two Italian and one Belgian suitors for Nemeth and Radò
- 01 Aug 11:30 MLS - USA/ CHICAGO FIRE, Approaching Jermaine Jones
- 01 Aug 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Quintero more and more likely to join
- 01 Aug 10:58 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I feel a lot of confidence and trust in me. I intend to repay it all"
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has reiterated Morgan Schneiderlin will not be leaving the club and has warned the midfielder of his conduct following his midweek outburst on Twitter. Koeman said: "He is a player of Southampton and will continue to be."
Interviewed by Radio Kiss Kiss, Carlo Pallavicino, agent of Napoli forward Goran Pandev, has declared: "He would like to play continously at Napo
Barcelona new midfielder Ivan Rakitic has declared about his team-mate Xavi: "It’s great news that he’s staying here. He’s a cl
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has declared: "The future, only god knows. There is competition here and I will continue to work hard
PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "I am happy in Paris. I have a contract to honor. I am calm, I prefer to stay. I feel well here. But I k