CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 07:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing that got me back is my pride"
- 28 Oct 12:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I'm comfortable with Flamini, we made Sanchez more free. Now we need to be consistent"
- 28 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Sanchez is an unbelievable player"
- 28 Oct 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Paulinho won't join Corinthians"
- 27 Oct 15:00 LIVERPOOL, Del Piero on Balotelli's failure: "He needs to put his own mind together in order to have his technique count"
- 24 Oct 20:30 SUNDERLAND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott is not ready"
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 23 Oct 15:15 ANDERLECHT, Hasi furious after Arsenal defeat: "We'd have deserved to win, referee should take full responsibility"
- 23 Oct 14:30 CHELSEA, Terry satisfied: "We are showing all our depth"
- 23 Oct 13:59 Carragher: "Balotelli will be sold before next season"
- 23 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on triumph over Anderlecht: "We won thanks not to have conceded a second goal after their 1-0"
- 23 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Vertonghen going nowhere"
- 22 Oct 14:15 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger on Martinez: "I am extremely confident in him"
- 22 Oct 13:30 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Hasi: "We'll have to stop Sanchez"
- 22 Oct 12:00 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger: "Martinez will play as a goalkeeper"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 21 Oct 15:00 ARSENAL, Monreal on Bellerin: "He's got a great career ahead of him"
- 21 Oct 12:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Full responsibility on us, but Hull's first goal was not regular"
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Soon we'll talk with Bony's agents"
- 19 Oct 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Shawcross going nowhere"
- 17 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Yedlin could join us in January"
- 16 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Veljkovic: "I am leaving on loan"
- 15 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "Replacing Wenger will be a challenge"
- 14 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Ozil turns out transfer rumors
- 13 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I don't want to leave"
- 11 Oct 06:29 SUNDERLAND. Altidore: "If I won't get to play, I will leave"
- 10 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am not happy with situation"
- 09 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am happy here"
- 09 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Pallotta: "Strootman not for sale"
- 08 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Criticism has made me stronger"
- 07 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Toure doesn't want to leave"
- 04 Oct 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Milan no longer after Taarabt"
- 01 Oct 06:19 MAN. CITY, Hart: "Italy? I am happy here"
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "One day I will return to Rosario"
- 29 Sep 06:29 CHELSEA. Hazard: "Back to France? Maybe one day, but for Lille"
- 28 Sep 06:59 CHELSEA, Rémy: "I was never joining Arsenal"
- 27 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Flamini: "When I joined Gunners first, I was told about the derby with Tottenham"
- 27 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Dier: "We'll do our best for making Spurs' fans happy"
- 27 Sep 14:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Wenger: "Important meaning and moment of the season"
- 27 Sep 13:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Arteta: "Pochettino was a father to me. Defeating Spurs is vital"
- 27 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "I have signed until January, I can't say more"
- 26 Sep 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I think Mario is potentially world class"
- 26 Sep 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez dismisses Barkley rumours
- 25 Sep 21:17 ARSENAL, Wenger: "You understand a young player's mind features when you watch him playing"
- 25 Sep 20:20 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain looking forward to London derby: "Victories over Spurs are the sweetest ones"
- 25 Sep 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Flamini might be on for the derby"
- 25 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL, Ospina on his debut: "Unfortunately we lost, but I know I played a good game"
- 24 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Lampard's future? We'll see"
- 23 Sep 14:39 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Having our fans behind makes everything easier for us. I thank all my teammates"
- 23 Sep 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Diaby: "He's a giant, mentally. I believe in him, justice should reserve him a better future"
- 23 Sep 06:20 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Arsenal didn't want me"
- 22 Sep 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He succeeded in giving a better performance also thanks to the rest of the squad"
- 22 Sep 09:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after Villa success: "We gave the response people and ourselves were all expecting"
- 22 Sep 07:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck celebrates his first goal as a Gunner: "I'm starting to know my teammates"
- 22 Sep 06:15 CHELSEA, Ramires: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 21 Sep 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael: "I want to stay forever"
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Borussia Dortmund defeated us through pace and pressure"
- 17 Sep 15:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "Debuting in Champions League has been a dream for me"
- 17 Sep 06:19 QPR, Vargas: "I want to remain in England"
- 16 Sep 16:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wilshere: "Always good games against them, fantastic even without Reus. We aim to get first in the group"
- 16 Sep 14:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "Intense game against City. Dortmund will put pressure on us"
- 16 Sep 11:17 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Signing Fabregas has been easy"
- 16 Sep 10:39 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Sad for Debuchy's injury. We could have won against City"
- 16 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Demichelis: "I would like to renew"
- 15 Sep 11:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "With a talent like his, he just needs to show how good he is"
- 15 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on 4-0 over QPR: "Great impact of all the new players, not only Di Maria"
- 15 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We are obviously disappointed for the draw against City"
- 14 Sep 21:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I am getting fitter and fitter, my goal was a tight angle. Fantastic debut from Welbeck"
- 14 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Welbeck's debut: "He needs to fully integrate, but I'm satisfied"
- 14 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Sanchez is working hard, and he's already important for us"
- 14 Sep 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments 2-2 against City: "Not an easy game to referee. Wilshere is getting to top back"
- 14 Sep 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger faces the umpteenth injury: "Debuchy's ankle doesn't look good"
- 13 Sep 18:30 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY 2-2 - Official matchbox: Demichelis saves the day for Citizens
- 12 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Wenger against homophobia: "Sports should be ahead of society. Fighting against any kind of discrimination is very important"
- 12 Sep 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Chelsea on tracking Alcacer
- 12 Sep 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I'm unhappy with our transfer market"
- 11 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Now we have the right amount of fast and technical players"
- 11 Sep 21:15 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Happy to have Welbeck in Gunners' family. He'll fit better here than in United"
- 11 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Big pressure on us, we must show we improved from last year"
- 11 Sep 17:43 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Cazorla: "I hope Arteta joins back for the game. He's born to be captain"
- 11 Sep 17:26 MANCHESTER CITY, Zabaleta could face Gunners
- 11 Sep 15:45 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Proud of my assist record and the manager's praises"
- 11 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ozil is ok, Ramsey has little chances"
- 11 Sep 12:26 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey could be fit to face City
- 11 Sep 06:19 ARSENAL, Campbell's agent: "Fiorentina were interested"
- 10 Sep 17:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Chambers is a surprise for me. I'm happy I'm playing on a regular basis"
- 10 Sep 14:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Giroud's long-term injury: "Bad loss for us, but we need to come out stronger and be with him"
- 10 Sep 11:59 ARSENAL, Walcott: "I hope to come back stronger and quicker"
- 30 Oct 14:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Suggestion for Brahimi
- 30 Oct 14:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tom Ince joins Nottingham Forest
- 30 Oct 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Possible winter attempt for Boakye
- 30 Oct 13:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bodmer extends for OGC Nice
- 30 Oct 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Vangioni
- 30 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Duel to Benfica for Dybala
- 30 Oct 10:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Empoli, done for Hysaj's renewal
- 30 Oct 09:19 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Price for Suarez set
- 30 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ INTER, In talks for Icardi's new deal
- 30 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Ekdal
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 30 Oct 07:27 METZ, Malouda: "I knew this was a great club"
- 30 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "We admire Reus, but..."
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 30 Oct 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "The new contract? I'm happy here"
- 29 Oct 23:27 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Also Valencia after Guedes
- 29 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Vanden Borre
- 29 Oct 22:29 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Hajrovic
- 29 Oct 21:59 CROATIA/ HNK RIJEKA, Also Borussia after Kramaric
- 29 Oct 21:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Uçan towards Parma
- 29 Oct 21:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Soares to renew
- 29 Oct 20:37 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Also Yakin for the bench
- 29 Oct 20:17 ITALY/ INTER, Still keen on Digne
- 29 Oct 19:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, King renews with Leicester City
- 29 Oct 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Neto likely to renew
- 29 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Gurpegui could leave
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 16:27 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Eyes on Sunjic
- 29 Oct 15:57 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Offer for Howedes ready
- 29 Oct 15:29 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Waris
- 29 Oct 14:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atromitos Athens, Italian and French suitors for Tatos
- 29 Oct 14:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Barreto more and more likely to leave
- 29 Oct 14:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Mangala is the centre-back that we need"
- 29 Oct 13:46 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Klopp is Wenger leaves
- 29 Oct 13:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, J. Rodriguez: "This is my dream"
- 29 Oct 13:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Napoli target Mario Balotelli
- 29 Oct 13:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL,Balotelli in new storm
- 29 Oct 12:47 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Alex Song: " I think my future will be here"
- 29 Oct 12:32 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, monitoring Lichtsteiner's situation at Juve
- 29 Oct 12:17 ITALY/ PARMA, El Ghanassy offered to Italian club
- 29 Oct 11:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Pazzini migth get back to Sampdoria in January
- 29 Oct 11:39 BAYER, INTER & AS ROMA, Back for Montoya
- 29 Oct 11:20 FRANCE/ O.M., Attempt for Lass Diarra ready
- 29 Oct 11:10 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eye on Grzegorz Krychowiak
- 29 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Cole on target for January
- 29 Oct 10:48 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Stolen a march on Bayern in the race to sign Guedes
- 29 Oct 10:37 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Last renewal offer to Zambrano
- 29 Oct 10:26 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Could bring former Arsenal left-back Cole back
- 29 Oct 10:17 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Suggestion for Benschop
Currently on a deal with Juventus until June 2017 and playing on loan for Atalanta, Ghanaian international striker Richmond Boakye (21) is becoming more and more of a main target for Arsenal, whose management, according to Daily Star, might submit Serie A reigning champions an of
Interviewed by Mediaset Premium, Inter Milan attacking midfielder Mateo Kovacic has declared: "My new contract? There is still time, let's se
Interviewed by Diesefoot.fr, Sevilla FC midfielder Stéphane Mbia has declared: "Coming back here has always been my priority. Together wit
Juventus righr back Mauricio Isla, actually on loan at QPR, has declared about the possibility to rejoin the bianconeri before the end of the season:
Commenting upon the 2 goals scored against Bordeaux, Paris Saint-Germain offensive midfielder and winger Lucas Moura stated: "I'm very happy
Commenting upon the 3-0 inflicted to St. Pauli, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp stated: "We had a very good first half, we deserved to get