CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "A new season brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Having been handed the managerial reins on a permanent basis at Stamford Bridge, Roberto Di Matteo was understandably delighted, and he told Chelsea TV that he cannot wait to get started as we look to build on the success of last season.
The Italian put pen to paper on a two-year deal, and after taking a richly deserved holiday following the excitement and exhaustion of the Champions League Final, he is looking forward to welcoming his players back for pre-season training next month.
'It was a very intense end to the season, I'm enjoying the break right now but already looking forward to next season,' he said.
'The club have made a decision and I respect any decision which they make. I'm just happy that my legacy with this club continues.
'The club's ambition has always been clear, we've shown that in the past and we will continue to do so.'
While the 2011/12 campaign will quite rightly be remembered for the success we enjoyed in both the Champions League and FA Cup, our sixth-place league finish was a source of immense frustration for everybody connected with the club.
The departure of Didier Drogba leaves a big hole to fill, while other players currently at the end of their contracts could yet move on to pastures new.
However, with the signings of creative players such as Eden Hazard and Marko Marin already confirmed, and the possibility of more additions to come, Di Matteo's immediate focus is on closing the gap on last season's top two.
'I had a wonderful break with my family, it was very enjoyable but now the work starts,' he admitted.
'I have to start planning for pre-season. We've lost a few players who are out of contract and we've already signed a couple of players, so there will be a slight change, but there won't be a complete overhaul of the squad.
'I won't discuss now what we will do in the market, all of that takes place behind the scenes, but we will try to make the right signings for the functionality of the squad.
'We certainly want to do better in the league; last season was a difficult one and we want to bridge that gap between us and the two Manchester teams and obviously continue to do well in the cup competitions.'
The decision to offer Di Matteo the role on a permanent basis will undoubtedly please both players and supporters alike.
A popular figure from his days patrolling the Blues' midfield in the late 1990s, not to mention scoring an array of both crucial and spectacular goals, his reputation among the Chelsea faithful was enhanced further after guiding the squad through the trickiest tests at the end of last season, both domestically and in Europe, securing our fourth FA Cup in six years and culminating in that never-to-be-forgotten Munich triumph.
Not one to dwell on past achievements, however, he insisted that it's now time to look forward, and he believes he has more than enough quality at his disposal to ensure the 2012/13 campaign, much like the previous one, could be one to remember.
'We return in early July, but the players at the Euros will come back later and there's also the possibility of some of our players going to the Olympics as well,' he confirmed.
'A new season always brings hope, enthusiasm and excitement. We have a good team and we will try to improve where necessary, but we have a good team already. The fans have been superb, last season and over the years when I've been here, and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Nov 13:27 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea on Red Devils good moment: "Steady CL route after first defeat. Depay will bring a lot to us against PSV"
- 21 Nov 02:56 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "Sterling must improve"
- 19 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Wenger: on Paris tragedy: "I wasn't far from the attacks. France will deal with that, England showed a lot of class in their support"
- 17 Nov 14:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I wish I had played with Suarez at Barca"
- 17 Nov 14:16 MANCHESTER CITY, Negredo undergoes surgery for appendicitis
- 16 Nov 16:59 MANCHESTER CITY, Solidarity messages to the city of Paris
- 15 Nov 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Henderson and club's homages to Heysel and Paris victims
- 13 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Pires: "Henry can be a successor for Wenger"
- 13 Nov 21:21 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why Wenger's decision to bench me was a good move"
- 13 Nov 02:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea: "I'm happy again at United after Madrid transfer collapse"
- 13 Nov 00:46 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "I take no pleasure from Mourinho losing"
- 12 Nov 23:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "I can’t wait to come back"
- 12 Nov 17:29 MANCHESTER UNITED, Medical report on Antonio Valencia's surgery
- 11 Nov 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay hits back at critics
- 09 Nov 16:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "Defeating Livepool felt good. We are playing above our beliefs"
- 05 Nov 22:41 MANCHESTER CITY, Sterling: "Quality at City a step up from Liverpool"
- 05 Nov 07:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Herrera: "Relief for Rooney's goal, he's our leader. Good defence is the key for a great season"
- 04 Nov 11:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin out for Bayern Munich
- 03 Nov 16:44 CHELSEA, Mourinho defiant: "I have years left at Chelsea"
- 03 Nov 08:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Achieving quality playing in Premier League is hard"
- 02 Nov 22:44 ASTON VILLA, Lerner expects better
- 02 Nov 12:44 CHELSEA, Diego Costa could be banned for four matches
- 29 Oct 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after Gunners failure at Hillsborough: "Owls were brighter than us. I don't know the entity of Ox's and Walcott's injuries"
- 29 Oct 00:30 CHELSEA, Zola wants Blues's Terry at Qatari club
- 28 Oct 21:09 ENGLAND, Arsenal legend Henry: What I like most about Man Utd whizkid Martial
- 28 Oct 18:00 CHELSEA, Remy: "Don't sack Mourinho"
- 28 Oct 08:57 EVERTON, Martinez: "Great victory over Norwich. Robles is showing how reliable he is"
- 27 Oct 14:00 NEWCASTLE, Janmaat: "Club not in relegation fight just yet"
- 27 Oct 06:59 WEST HAM, Kouyaté: "Happy for Carroll. Being third is great"
- 26 Oct 23:30 ENGLAND, Arsenal Fined
- 26 Oct 16:00 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "Leicester's goal was our mistake"
- 26 Oct 13:44 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We have a hard-working mentality"
- 26 Oct 12:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Walcott deserved to start"
- 26 Oct 11:32 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Don't need to sign anyone in January"
- 23 Oct 18:10 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini thinks that fans have a right to peacefully make their feelings known
- 23 Oct 15:13 TOTTENHAM, Alderweireld after yesterday defeat: "Obviously we are disappointed"
- 23 Oct 14:59 LIVERPOOL, Mignolet:"We're still second in the group, so we can look forward"
- 23 Oct 14:46 LIVERPOOL, Origi: "Qualification is still in our own hands"
- 22 Oct 23:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew calls for referee reviews
- 22 Oct 22:00 ENGLAND, Houllier: "Klopp ideal manager for Liverpool at this time"
- 22 Oct 20:16 ARSENAL, Ramsey ruled out for at least three weeks
- 22 Oct 20:00 LIVERPOOL Klopp sends message to Reds fans
- 21 Oct 09:27 ARSENAL, Cazorla after triumph over Bayern: "We feel very good now, we made it as a team"
- 20 Oct 17:27 ARSENAL, Wenger before umpteenth Bayern clash: "We often get good results against German giants"
- 20 Oct 12:30 CHELSEA, Pedro: "Defeating Aston Villa was important. Mourinho gives us a lot of confidence"
- 19 Oct 08:29 ARSENAL, Wenger after blasting Watford: "We showed we can be dangerous against any team"
- 16 Oct 11:42 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Finish my career at Chelsea? It's not possible"
- 16 Oct 08:29 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen on teammate Lloris: "He's an unbelievable goalkeeper, always ready for the best save of his life"
- 15 Oct 11:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho is furious after being fined by the FA
- 15 Oct 07:57 WEST HAM, Moses: "Bilic changed our phylosophy as a team. Good to face Crystal Palace, a club I love"
- 14 Oct 12:43 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Lucas reveals Jürgen Klopp's impact so far
- 14 Oct 06:59 MANCHESTER CITY, Bad news for Pellegrini: no city derby for David Silva
- 13 Oct 13:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Welbeck targets January return for Gunners
- 12 Oct 06:00 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I've never been in trouble as I am now, but I'm not worried"
- 08 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho's agent: "I'm not in talks with Real Madrid"
- 07 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri: "I don't think I'll move back to France"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I don't need a new contract to be motivated"
- 05 Oct 13:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "Alexis' energy is so important"
- 03 Oct 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "In Spain, Barça would be my only choice"
- 02 Oct 15:57 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I talked with my players about what we failed against Porto. Amelia? He can be the right guy for us"
- 02 Oct 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I'd like to work for Wenger"
- 01 Oct 11:30 CHELSEA, Diego Costa after Porto failure: "We need to regain our confidence"
- 29 Sep 20:19 MANCHESTER UNITED, Schweinsteiger keen to mentor Depay and Martial
- 29 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "We have to impose ourselves"
- 29 Sep 18:37 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Olympiakos? I remember my 2011 goal against them..."
- 29 Sep 17:46 BOURNEMOUTH, Long-term injury for Callum Wilson: 6 months out
- 29 Sep 14:14 CHAMPIONS, Porto - Chelsea: Possible lineups
- 29 Sep 14:09 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick: it will be a tough game against Wolfsburg"
- 29 Sep 13:59 CHAMPIONS, Arsenal - Olympiacos Possible lineups Outside chance of Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta appearing
- 29 Sep 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I thought Martial was not for sale"
- 28 Sep 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "There's a group of people that don't want me here"
- 25 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND, Gerrard: “Mourinho is one of the best”
- 24 Sep 14:17 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Happy to have defeated Birmingham, especially for our fans"
- 23 Sep 08:19 WEST HAM, Pulis: "I don't know if we'll sign Vaz Tê"
- 22 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Bellerín: "A move to Liga? No way, I'm staying with Gunners"
- 21 Sep 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "I'm happy here"
- 18 Sep 13:00 CHELSEA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - One ex for every London side
- 18 Sep 07:57 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "He's happy here"
- 18 Sep 06:00 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "It's not been easy against Qarabag. Happy for Sonny"
- 18 Sep 00:59 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - DINAMO ZAGREB (Group F), former stars Modric and Kovacic: "Excited for the guys' victory over Arsenal"
- 17 Sep 17:27 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - MACCABI TEL AVIV (Group G), Jokanovic: "Chelsea played at their highest level, we're working to be more competitive"
- 17 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL, Wilshere will undergo surgery again
- 17 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - CHELSEA (Group G), Mourinho: "Winning after a long time gave us a very good feeling"
- 17 Sep 00:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ARSENAL (Group F), Wenger on Zagreb failure: "We were a bit unlucky. Giroud didn't deserve to get a red card"
- 16 Sep 19:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Kompany: "There was actually nothing wrong with our performance"
- 16 Sep 16:03 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - PSV (Group B), Cocu on victory over United: "We showed anything can be achieved, if you believe in your goals"
- 16 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Funes Mori: "I was about to join Chelsea"
- 16 Sep 01:21 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B), Van Gaal after Dutch disaster: "Shaw was crying in the dressing room"
- 15 Sep 23:42 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER CITY (Group D), Touré after Juventus failure: "Now we need to be strong and bounce back"
- 15 Sep 16:08 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - PSV EINDHOVEN v MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B): Depay faces his own past
- 14 Sep 08:57 CHELSEA, Matic after Goodison Park failure: "I really don't know what happened. Now let's win against Maccabi and Arsenal"
- 13 Sep 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal might even renew
- 12 Sep 20:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA 3-1, Matchbox: Ross Barkley got the game for Toffees
- 12 Sep 15:00 SUNDERLAND v TOTTENHAM, Special Preview - Lloris: "We need to find confidence"
- 12 Sep 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on De Gea's renewal: "I'm delighted, he's one of the best in the world"
- 11 Sep 16:23 MANCHESTER UNITED v LIVERPOOL, Special Preview - Mata: "Playing against Reds is always special. Our fans are thankful from my goals from last season"
- 11 Sep 15:47 WEST HAM v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Ogbonna: "Still celebrating victory over Liverpool, and we are really focused on Magpies"
- 11 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL v STOKE CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere not available tomorrow"
- 11 Sep 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Training the Dutch NT? Not now"
- 10 Sep 17:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA, Preview - Blues wait for Courtois' medical results in anxiety
- 25 Nov 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Van Gaal on Robben
- 25 Nov 15:31 FRANCE/ PSG, To plot mega-Ronaldo deal
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, A Serie A suitor for Strinic
- 25 Nov 14:27 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Suggestion for Cigarini
- 25 Nov 13:57 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, 2 Ligue 1 important suitors for Mirallas
- 25 Nov 13:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Van Basten could help AC Milan signing De Roon
- 25 Nov 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Sullivan renews for Blackburn
- 25 Nov 12:30 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Planning to sign Biabiany on loan from Inter
- 25 Nov 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Inler if Witsel remains a dream
- 25 Nov 11:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doneil Henry joins Rovers back from West Ham
- 25 Nov 10:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Papu Gomez
- 25 Nov 10:29 FRANCE/ RENNES, 3 Bundesliga clubs on Grosicki
- 25 Nov 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lisandro Lopez's agent: "Benfica-Fiorentina swap involving Suarez? I don't know if that can happen"
- 25 Nov 09:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger hopeful his side can get the result needed in Greece to progress
- 25 Nov 09:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Offer to Ohéme for N'Koulou ready
- 25 Nov 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta decides: 25 million euros recompra right on Berardi to be used
- 25 Nov 08:59 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, Barcelona and Bayern through as group winners after comfortable victorie
- 25 Nov 08:52 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare extended until 2018
- 25 Nov 03:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Seedorf as a name if McClaren gets sacked
- 25 Nov 02:27 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Meeting for signing Pato
- 25 Nov 01:57 BAYERN MUNICH & SCHALKE 04, Observing Colombian talent Cardona
- 25 Nov 01:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Eyes on Nampalys Mendy
- 25 Nov 00:59 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, José Castro: "We are negotiating with Banega on renewal"
- 25 Nov 00:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Maxi Lopez renews for Torino
- 25 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Back for Isco
- 24 Nov 22:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino, suggestion for Leonardo Sanchez
- 24 Nov 20:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese approaching Yony Gonzalez
- 24 Nov 19:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Arlind Ajeti joins Frosinone
- 24 Nov 18:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart fire Zorniger
- 24 Nov 16:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: offer for Perotti submitted
- 24 Nov 15:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 3 more suitors for Rebic's loan
- 24 Nov 15:29 PSG, Thiago Motta: "Now I know I want to stay. Ibra knows there are a lot of important players here. Our goal? Winning CL"
- 24 Nov 14:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Planning to yield Ongenda
- 24 Nov 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bradley's agent: "He'd like to join back Italy, even for a test period"
- 24 Nov 14:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Willing to sign Felipe from Hannover
- 24 Nov 13:27 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea on Red Devils good moment: "Steady CL route after first defeat. Depay will bring a lot to us against PSV"
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 24 Nov 12:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 24 Nov 11:59 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "City will be aggressive. Dybala is developing into a very fine player, technique-wise"
- 24 Nov 11:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Landing Douglas from Dnipro
- 24 Nov 11:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Suggestion for Ogbonna
- 24 Nov 10:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mario Rui renews for Empoli
- 24 Nov 09:00 STUTTGART & PADERBORN 07, Scouting Owase
- 24 Nov 00:00 BARÇA & PSG, Dreaming of Dybala. But chances now are none
- 23 Nov 23:28 FRANCE/ LORIENT, A Premier League suitor for Moukandjo
- 23 Nov 22:59 ITALY/ INTER, In touch with Van Der Wiel for January
- 23 Nov 22:30 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Landing Baby Face Koziello from Nice
- 23 Nov 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus challenge Fiorentina on Marlon
- 23 Nov 21:27 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From France: survey on Pastore
- 23 Nov 20:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique approaches Pjanic: summer move ready
Louis van Gaal has denied reports that he is looking to sign Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben.
“If I answer that question, then you are writing [United are trying to sign] Robben, what you have written about Ronaldo and that I didn’t say,” the Manchester Uni
Looking forward to Champions League Matchday 5 home game against Manchester City, which might allow Juventus to qualify for eighth finals, Bianconeri
Attending a long press conference, Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez widely commented upon Rafa Benitez's position stability as Merengues manager
On a good route after a difficult start, Manchester United could now get Champiosn League eighth finals pass with one group round turn in advance, now
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi