EURO 2012/ ITALY, Prandelli: "I wasn't surprised by tonight"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was delighted after his side won the "lottery" of penalties against England, though admitted he was never unduly concerned during the 4-2 shoot-out victory.
"I wasn't surprised by tonight. I knew we could control the game. My worry was that we were allowing England too much space on the break – we could have been a bit cleverer in our build-up play. We tried to play football. We tried to draw England out; we tried to hit them quickly. I think if we'd scored in the 90 minutes it would have been an even better game.
Penalties are a lottery but I thought we deserved victory in the end. When [Riccardo] Montolivo missed his penalty I was sad as he was one of the best players tonight. I was watching with my arm around my son and I told him he was lucky he didn't have to buy a ticket. When Andrea Pirlo stepped up I was very calm – he's a star and knew what he needed to do; and he did it.
Around 80% of penalty shoot-outs go down to luck. Some players are used to this kind of pressure, some are just calm in these situations – but mainly it's down to good fortune.
President Napolitano called us to congratulate us and that was special. We are delighted but we have to get ready for Germany now. They have had two more days' rest. If we have the same approach, the same desire, I think we can compete.
Germany and Spain are favourites here. We'll need everyone fit and fresh; we're going to go for it. They're always attacking games against Germany. Germany are a great side – they made changes against Greece and it made no difference. The game here hasn't long ended and we want to get our players fit – we just want to go home and get to bed to be honest".
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 14:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 08:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 07:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 07:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 07:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 08:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 07:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 07:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 08:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 16:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 07:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 08:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 07:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 17:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 16:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 12:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 07:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 19:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 07:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 17:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 08:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 07:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 19:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 18:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 12:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 09:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 07:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 16:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 07:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 15:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 14:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 18:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 07:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 10:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 10:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
- 23 Jul 15:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two youngsters renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 23 Jul 15:30 MLS - USA/ NY CITY FC, Xavi might join in December
- 23 Jul 15:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hubner: "Piazon from Chelsea? There are good signals"
- 23 Jul 14:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Nené
- 23 Jul 14:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chihi joins Fulham
- 23 Jul 14:20 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Keen on Vecino
- 23 Jul 14:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Adrian Fernandez joins Quilmes
- 23 Jul 13:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign back Sanogo
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
- 23 Jul 12:44 FRANCE/ PSG, No contacts with Conte
- 23 Jul 12:36 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas can leave: Arsenal thinking about him
- 23 Jul 12:31 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Krychowiak joins Sevilla
- 23 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Rodriguez: "I stay here"
- 23 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria: arrives Dos Santos
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
- 23 Jul 10:05 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Brahimi
Recently drawn towards Torino and Sampdoria, as a less top-range market target, Uruguayan international offensive midfielder and half-forward Gaston Ramirez (23), according to latest rumours reported in Italian media, is back as an item of interest for Juventus management....
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...