EURO 2012/ ITALY, Prandelli: "I wasn't surprised by tonight"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was delighted after his side won the "lottery" of penalties against England, though admitted he was never unduly concerned during the 4-2 shoot-out victory.
"I wasn't surprised by tonight. I knew we could control the game. My worry was that we were allowing England too much space on the break – we could have been a bit cleverer in our build-up play. We tried to play football. We tried to draw England out; we tried to hit them quickly. I think if we'd scored in the 90 minutes it would have been an even better game.
Penalties are a lottery but I thought we deserved victory in the end. When [Riccardo] Montolivo missed his penalty I was sad as he was one of the best players tonight. I was watching with my arm around my son and I told him he was lucky he didn't have to buy a ticket. When Andrea Pirlo stepped up I was very calm – he's a star and knew what he needed to do; and he did it.
Around 80% of penalty shoot-outs go down to luck. Some players are used to this kind of pressure, some are just calm in these situations – but mainly it's down to good fortune.
President Napolitano called us to congratulate us and that was special. We are delighted but we have to get ready for Germany now. They have had two more days' rest. If we have the same approach, the same desire, I think we can compete.
Germany and Spain are favourites here. We'll need everyone fit and fresh; we're going to go for it. They're always attacking games against Germany. Germany are a great side – they made changes against Greece and it made no difference. The game here hasn't long ended and we want to get our players fit – we just want to go home and get to bed to be honest".
Other news Other News
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 19:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Unexpected suggestion for Mutu's return
- 30 Sep 19:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bacca signs new contract with FC Seville
- 30 Sep 18:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger announces Giroud's renewal
- 30 Sep 18:39 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Gabbiadini
- 30 Sep 18:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, All-in for Jackson Martinez if Higuain leaves
- 30 Sep 17:37 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Franco Foda joins back Sturm Graz as a manager
- 30 Sep 17:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City, Sagbo yielded on loan
- 30 Sep 16:58 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Hit by Herrera injury
- 30 Sep 16:24 AC MILAN, Zapata: "I have a big desire to do well this year "
- 30 Sep 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Walcott is joining in full training next week
- 30 Sep 15:29 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Keen on Timm Klose
- 30 Sep 14:59 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Possible winter attempt for Cavanda
- 30 Sep 14:27 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Weighing up Babacar's renewal chances
- 30 Sep 13:57 BRAZIL/ CORINTHIANS, Guerrero unlikely to renew
- 30 Sep 13:32 JUVENTUS, Morata:"Madrid didn't believe in me"
- 30 Sep 13:16 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz: "Barça observed me, but Psg paid for me"
- 30 Sep 12:59 ENGLAND, Hogdson: "60 mlns for David Luiz? It's crazy"
- 30 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I will only leave if they sack me"
- 30 Sep 12:14 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Renewal close for Florenzi
- 30 Sep 11:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, agreement close for Giroud renewal
- 30 Sep 11:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA: Dawson extends
- 30 Sep 11:13 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Fernandinho: "Is necessary to defeat As Roma"
- 30 Sep 10:49 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Di Maria: "A dream for me to come to Europe"
- 30 Sep 10:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Mignolet: "Valdes? I feel different kinds of pressure"
- 30 Sep 10:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Chelsea are leading race for Barkley
- 30 Sep 09:22 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace loan Williams out again to Ipswich Town
- 30 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, The plan for Reus
- 30 Sep 08:15 FRANCE/ PSG, Keen on Martial
- 30 Sep 08:00 BRAZIL/ CORINTHIANS, Herrera likely to join
- 30 Sep 07:40 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Two Spanish clubs after Soriano
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 30 Sep 06:57 OL, Grenier: "My future remains uncertain"
- 30 Sep 06:39 BAYERN, Beckenbauer: "Xabi Alonso our most important signing"
- 30 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "One day I will return to Rosario"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 30 Sep 00:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I would like to remain"
- 29 Sep 23:37 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also Callejon on the wishlist
- 29 Sep 23:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Hildebrand has refused Hannover's offer
- 29 Sep 22:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Martinez unlikely to join
- 29 Sep 22:39 GERMANY/ WERDER, Komolong on trial
- 29 Sep 22:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Juanmi renews with Malaga
- 29 Sep 22:00 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Keen on Lollo
- 29 Sep 21:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Chiellini about to renew
- 29 Sep 21:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casilla will join at the end of the season
- 29 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Eyes on Matic
- 29 Sep 20:39 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Pohang sign Moritz
- 29 Sep 20:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Keen on Rodriguez
- 29 Sep 20:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Spalletti for the bench
- 29 Sep 19:45 ITALY/ PALERMO, Update on Vazquez
Good news for Arsenal, revealed by Arsène Wenger: "Jack Wilshere is in the squad for tomorrow. Will I start him against Galatasaray? I don’t know yet, but he’s in the squad.
I left Abou Diaby out as well because he’s not completely there yet. We los
Alvaro Morata has revealed that he decided to leave Real Madrid for Juventus this summer because he felt Carlo Ancelotti did not believe in him.
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I can't imagine Real Madrid without Cristiano Ronaldo. There are just nonsense rumors. He is
Good news for Arsenal, revealed by Arsène Wenger: "Jack Wilshere is in the squad for tomorrow. Will I start him against Galatasaray? I don
OM coach Marcelo Bielsa has declared about 28-year-old striker Andre-Pierre Gignac: "I know how difficult is to train a national team, and I don&
Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer has declared about 32-year-old midfielder Xabi Alonso: "He has been our most important signing