IFAB makes three unanimous historic decisions
© foto di Ninni Cannella/TuttoLegaPro.co
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) convened at the Home of FIFA in Zurich today, 5 July 2012, for a Special Meeting under the chairmanship of FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.
The first item on the agenda was goal-line technology (GLT). Following the conclusion of a nine-month test process that began in August 2011, led by EMPA (Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology), the IFAB unanimously decided to approve in principle both companies that took part in Test Phase 2: GoalRef and Hawk-Eye. This approval is subject to a final installation test at each stadium before the systems can be used in “real” football matches, in accordance with the FIFA Quality Programme for GLT.
The IFAB was keen to stress that technology will only be utilised for the goal line and for no other areas of the game.
Revisions to the wording of specific Laws of the Game will now consequently be made, relating to: Law 1 (The Field of Play); Law 2 (The Ball); Law 5 (The Referee); and Law 10 (The Method of Scoring).
The second decision of the IFAB concerned additional assistant referees (AAR) following a two-year experiment in the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and EURO 2012, as well as the AFC President’s Cup and competitions in Brazil, France, Morocco and Qatar.
Following a presentation by the AAR Experiment Coordinator, Donald McVicar, the IFAB again unanimously agreed that the use of two additional assistant referees be approved, acknowledging the support they can provide in officiating football matches.
As a result of this decision, an amendment will be made to the Laws of the Game, with a separate section concerning additional assistant referees. It was also approved that communication equipment be permitted between match officials in the Laws of the Game.
The third main topic for discussion concerned Law 4 – The Players’ Equipment, and specifically the “headscarf”.
The IFAB agreed to unanimously approve – temporarily during a trial period – the wearing of headscarves. The design, colour and material permitted will be defined and confirmed following the IFAB Annual Business Meeting in Glasgow in October.
Currently there is no medical literature concerning injuries as a result of wearing a headscarf, and therefore the decision taken today will be reviewed at the IFAB Annual General Meeting in 2014.
In other matters, the IFAB confirmed that the Annual Business Meeting will further discuss the issue of “triple punishment”, currently detailed in Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct; Sending-off Offences), and also agreed to discuss further how the IFAB can improve consultation with the game.
The decisions concerning the Laws of the Game taken today regarding GLT and AAR by the IFAB will come into effect immediately.
The 127th Annual General Meeting will take place in Edinburgh, Scotland on 1-2 March 2013.
Other news News
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
According to Italian broadcast RadioSei, Lazio management have targeted Romanian international striker Florin Andone (23), currently on a deal with Deportivo La Coruña until June 2021. Former Villarreal thrid squad player is tracked by Fiorentina as well, wh
According to Italian broadcast RadioSei, Lazio management have targeted Romanian international striker Florin Andone (23), currently on a de
According to latest news reported by AS, Barcelona FC management have targeted Spanish right-back/winger Ander Capa (25). Playing for Eibar since deve
Playing for West Bromwich Albion since February 2015, Scottish international midfielder Darren Fletcher (33), according to Express&Star,
A free agent since last July, after the end of his experience at Stade Reims, Haitian international goalkeeper Johnny Placide (29) has officially join
After having discovered Darmstadt 98 are the only European football club followed on Twitter by former USA President Barack Obama, U.S. American inter