IFAB makes three unanimous historic decisions
© foto di Ninni Cannella/TuttoLegaPro.co
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) convened at the Home of FIFA in Zurich today, 5 July 2012, for a Special Meeting under the chairmanship of FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.
The first item on the agenda was goal-line technology (GLT). Following the conclusion of a nine-month test process that began in August 2011, led by EMPA (Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology), the IFAB unanimously decided to approve in principle both companies that took part in Test Phase 2: GoalRef and Hawk-Eye. This approval is subject to a final installation test at each stadium before the systems can be used in “real” football matches, in accordance with the FIFA Quality Programme for GLT.
The IFAB was keen to stress that technology will only be utilised for the goal line and for no other areas of the game.
Revisions to the wording of specific Laws of the Game will now consequently be made, relating to: Law 1 (The Field of Play); Law 2 (The Ball); Law 5 (The Referee); and Law 10 (The Method of Scoring).
The second decision of the IFAB concerned additional assistant referees (AAR) following a two-year experiment in the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and EURO 2012, as well as the AFC President’s Cup and competitions in Brazil, France, Morocco and Qatar.
Following a presentation by the AAR Experiment Coordinator, Donald McVicar, the IFAB again unanimously agreed that the use of two additional assistant referees be approved, acknowledging the support they can provide in officiating football matches.
As a result of this decision, an amendment will be made to the Laws of the Game, with a separate section concerning additional assistant referees. It was also approved that communication equipment be permitted between match officials in the Laws of the Game.
The third main topic for discussion concerned Law 4 – The Players’ Equipment, and specifically the “headscarf”.
The IFAB agreed to unanimously approve – temporarily during a trial period – the wearing of headscarves. The design, colour and material permitted will be defined and confirmed following the IFAB Annual Business Meeting in Glasgow in October.
Currently there is no medical literature concerning injuries as a result of wearing a headscarf, and therefore the decision taken today will be reviewed at the IFAB Annual General Meeting in 2014.
In other matters, the IFAB confirmed that the Annual Business Meeting will further discuss the issue of “triple punishment”, currently detailed in Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct; Sending-off Offences), and also agreed to discuss further how the IFAB can improve consultation with the game.
The decisions concerning the Laws of the Game taken today regarding GLT and AAR by the IFAB will come into effect immediately.
The 127th Annual General Meeting will take place in Edinburgh, Scotland on 1-2 March 2013.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 19 Apr 07:57 CROATIA/ DYNAMO, Fernandes injured
- 18 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Season over for Alba
- 16 Apr 07:17 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Wilmots will train the NT until 2018
- 15 Apr 07:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa out for three weeks
- 11 Apr 12:26 UEFA CL, Bayern draw Real Madrid, Atlético land Chelsea
- 11 Apr 08:06 UEFA- EL: Benfica, Juve, Sevilla and Valencia set for draw
- 11 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Season over for Farnerud
- 10 Apr 07:17 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Degen injured
- 09 Apr 07:17 ITALY/ ROMA, Benatia injured
- 08 Apr 07:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Rodriguez out for six months
- 07 Apr 07:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Casteels injured
- 06 Apr 07:57 FRANCE/ OM, Mandanda injured
- 04 Apr 07:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Benteke injured
- 03 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa injured
- 02 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale injured
- 01 Apr 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Valdes out for 7 months
- 31 Mar 07:00 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Quaresma wants to play for 10 more years
- 30 Mar 09:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Domínguez Platas is Betis new coach
- 29 Mar 07:57 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Benitez could be fired
- 27 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Victor Valdes injured
- 26 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Season over for Gurpegui
- 25 Mar 13:00 HOLLANDm, Hiddink has signed for 2 years
- 25 Mar 07:00 FRANCE/ LYON, Lopes out for six weeks
- 24 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez injured again
- 23 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Anderson injured
- 22 Mar 07:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Van Persie injured
- 21 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Schmelzer out for one month
- 20 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tissone out for six months
- 19 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jesé injured
- 18 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Cristoforo out for six months
- 17 Mar 07:17 QATAR/ OFFICIAL, Belmadi is the NT new coach
- 16 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema injured
- 15 Mar 08:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hainer is Bayern new president
- 14 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Hoeness sentenced
- 13 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Fuchs injured
- 12 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Season over for Anderson
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 06 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ WERDER, Garcia injured
- 05 Mar 18:02 HOLLAND, Van Gaal: "Netherlands are World Cup outsiders"
- 05 Mar 17:16 FRANCE, Zinedine Zidane 'proud' of son Enzo after France call-up
- 05 Mar 07:15 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is the new NT coach
- 04 Mar 07:17 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Ulmer injured
- 03 Mar 07:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Season over for Rajkovic
- 02 Mar 08:30 HOLLAND/ NT, Agreement with Hiddink
- 01 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pasqual injured
- 28 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sabatini at Roma until 2017
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
- 19 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zapata the key for Muriel
- 19 Apr 13:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Two clubs after Kompany
- 19 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back for Ljajic
- 19 Apr 12:29 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Interest for Schwegler
- 19 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gonalons
- 19 Apr 11:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stanton renews with Hibernian
- 19 Apr 10:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Romulo on permanent basis
- 19 Apr 10:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Sirigu about to renew
- 19 Apr 09:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Montella for the bench
- 19 Apr 09:29 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Luzern sign Holenstein
- 19 Apr 09:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Keen on De Paul
- 19 Apr 08:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Two players renew with Toulouse
- 19 Apr 07:57 CROATIA/ DYNAMO, Fernandes injured
- 19 Apr 07:27 OL, Aulas: "Lacazette and Grenier will stay"
- 19 Apr 06:59 HOFFENHEIM, Beck's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 19 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Romeu: "My future? It's up to Chelsea"
- 19 Apr 00:00 INTER, Rolando: "My future? I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 23:37 FRANCE/ OM, Still waiting for Bielsa
- 18 Apr 23:17 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Done for Arthur
- 18 Apr 22:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Also Immobile on the shortlist
- 18 Apr 22:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Barrios could be loaned out
- 18 Apr 22:20 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eyes on Darder
- 18 Apr 22:00 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Also Juventus after Boëtius
- 18 Apr 21:37 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Three more options for ter Stegen
- 18 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Basel after Mustafi
- 18 Apr 20:59 FRANCE/ OM, Amalfitano towards England
- 18 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ TORINO, Auction for Glik
- 18 Apr 20:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Eyes on Manolas
- 18 Apr 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ranieri to replace Montella?
- 18 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Offer for Immobile ready
- 18 Apr 19:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Wagner
- 18 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Contacts with Diouf
- 18 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Paulinho to replace Pjanic
- 18 Apr 18:45 HOLLAND/ PSV, Rekik could stay
- 18 Apr 18:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on two Fiorentina players
- 18 Apr 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 4 names for the bench
- 18 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ CATANIA, Bergessio could stay
- 18 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ MILAN, United ready to track Rami
- 18 Apr 16:31 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio: "I always give everything to help the team win"
- 18 Apr 16:15 ENGLAND/ SHEFFIELD UTD, Clough: "De Girolamo-Juve? I don't know about transfer rumors"
- 18 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Prandelli did well to call on El Shaarawy"
- 18 Apr 15:44 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Arsenal asking info about Serge Aurier
- 18 Apr 15:31 INTER, Walter Mazzarri names a 20-man squad for Parma v Inter
- 18 Apr 15:16 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Benjamin Mendy observed by United
- 18 Apr 14:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Arteta: "Admits it is hard to switch off"
- 18 Apr 14:45 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Heitinga: "I'd like to stay here also in the future"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 14:15 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro set to stay
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by Inter Channel, 28 year old defender Rolando, actually at Inter Milan on loan with right to buy from FC Porto, has declared:...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has declared about 27 year old striker Loic Remy, actually on loan from QPR: "I think we've got a good...
Alexander Rose, agent of Hoffenheim right back Andreas Beck, has declared: "We are negotiating and I think that a solution will be made...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...