IFAB makes three unanimous historic decisions
© foto di Ninni Cannella/TuttoLegaPro.co
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) convened at the Home of FIFA in Zurich today, 5 July 2012, for a Special Meeting under the chairmanship of FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter.
The first item on the agenda was goal-line technology (GLT). Following the conclusion of a nine-month test process that began in August 2011, led by EMPA (Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology), the IFAB unanimously decided to approve in principle both companies that took part in Test Phase 2: GoalRef and Hawk-Eye. This approval is subject to a final installation test at each stadium before the systems can be used in “real” football matches, in accordance with the FIFA Quality Programme for GLT.
The IFAB was keen to stress that technology will only be utilised for the goal line and for no other areas of the game.
Revisions to the wording of specific Laws of the Game will now consequently be made, relating to: Law 1 (The Field of Play); Law 2 (The Ball); Law 5 (The Referee); and Law 10 (The Method of Scoring).
The second decision of the IFAB concerned additional assistant referees (AAR) following a two-year experiment in the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and EURO 2012, as well as the AFC President’s Cup and competitions in Brazil, France, Morocco and Qatar.
Following a presentation by the AAR Experiment Coordinator, Donald McVicar, the IFAB again unanimously agreed that the use of two additional assistant referees be approved, acknowledging the support they can provide in officiating football matches.
As a result of this decision, an amendment will be made to the Laws of the Game, with a separate section concerning additional assistant referees. It was also approved that communication equipment be permitted between match officials in the Laws of the Game.
The third main topic for discussion concerned Law 4 – The Players’ Equipment, and specifically the “headscarf”.
The IFAB agreed to unanimously approve – temporarily during a trial period – the wearing of headscarves. The design, colour and material permitted will be defined and confirmed following the IFAB Annual Business Meeting in Glasgow in October.
Currently there is no medical literature concerning injuries as a result of wearing a headscarf, and therefore the decision taken today will be reviewed at the IFAB Annual General Meeting in 2014.
In other matters, the IFAB confirmed that the Annual Business Meeting will further discuss the issue of “triple punishment”, currently detailed in Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct; Sending-off Offences), and also agreed to discuss further how the IFAB can improve consultation with the game.
The decisions concerning the Laws of the Game taken today regarding GLT and AAR by the IFAB will come into effect immediately.
The 127th Annual General Meeting will take place in Edinburgh, Scotland on 1-2 March 2013.
Other news Other News
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 28 Jul 07:27 OM, Ayew's agent: "He could move to Italy soon"
- 28 Jul 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Guardiola will stay at least until 2016"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 23:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Price for Ljajic is set
- 27 Jul 22:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Celta sign Rioja
- 27 Jul 22:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Lovren
- 27 Jul 21:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also Fiorentina after Jonas
- 27 Jul 21:30 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Schär
- 27 Jul 21:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Eyes on Manolas
- 27 Jul 20:27 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Offer for Rojo ready
- 27 Jul 19:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New meeting for Romulo
- 27 Jul 19:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Two Spanish clubs after Chantome
- 27 Jul 18:59 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Prödl
- 27 Jul 18:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Isco towards Manchester City
- 27 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Still keen on Criscito
- 27 Jul 17:27 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, José Angel about to join
- 27 Jul 16:57 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Babacar
- 27 Jul 16:29 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Estudiantes sign Navarro
- 27 Jul 15:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Juve's offer for Candreva refused
- 27 Jul 15:30 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Done for Vietto
- 27 Jul 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Auction for Ogbonna
- 27 Jul 14:27 ITALY/ VERONA, Idea Sorensen
- 27 Jul 13:57 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Agreement for Muller
- 27 Jul 13:29 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Idea Stambouli
- 27 Jul 12:59 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Sprint for Insua
- 27 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sevilla sign Arribas
- 27 Jul 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sprint for M'Poku
- 27 Jul 11:27 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Survey on Eto'o
- 27 Jul 10:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Ansaldi about to sign
- 27 Jul 10:29 FRANCE/ MONACO, Sprint for Cerci
- 27 Jul 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo's signing to be announced on Tuesday
- 27 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ospina joins Arsenal
- 27 Jul 09:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting sign Sarr
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 27 Jul 07:57 OM, Payet: "I want to stay"
- 27 Jul 07:29 WERDER, Schroder: "Many clubs afyer Akpala"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 27 Jul 02:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ready to sign Casillas if Real give permission
- 27 Jul 01:27 ITALY/ GENOA, Roncaglia the alternative to Campagnaro
- 27 Jul 00:57 FRANCE/ NICE, 3 European suitors for Bautheac
- 27 Jul 00:29 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting for Osvaldo
- 26 Jul 23:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Areola on loan from PSG
- 26 Jul 23:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, 3 Premier League suitors for Atsu
- 26 Jul 23:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Plan for signing Scuffet in 2015
- 26 Jul 22:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez back on apple of his eye and KOP veteran Agger
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract with Inter, we'll see. We will choose the best solution for me and the club".
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has declared about Real Sociedad 23-year-old winger Antoine Griezmann: "He is a good player, very fast. He co
After Arsenal announced having signed Colombian international David Ospina, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger commented upon it: “David Ospin
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Federico Pastorello, agent of OM 24-year-old forward André Ayew, has declared: "We are talking about a good play