LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Borussia Dortmund defeated us through pace and pressure"
- 17 Sep 15:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "Debuting in Champions League has been a dream for me"
- 17 Sep 06:19 QPR, Vargas: "I want to remain in England"
- 16 Sep 16:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wilshere: "Always good games against them, fantastic even without Reus. We aim to get first in the group"
- 16 Sep 14:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "Intense game against City. Dortmund will put pressure on us"
- 16 Sep 11:17 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Signing Fabregas has been easy"
- 16 Sep 10:39 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Sad for Debuchy's injury. We could have won against City"
- 16 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Demichelis: "I would like to renew"
- 15 Sep 11:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "With a talent like his, he just needs to show how good he is"
- 15 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on 4-0 over QPR: "Great impact of all the new players, not only Di Maria"
- 15 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We are obviously disappointed for the draw against City"
- 14 Sep 21:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I am getting fitter and fitter, my goal was a tight angle. Fantastic debut from Welbeck"
- 14 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Welbeck's debut: "He needs to fully integrate, but I'm satisfied"
- 14 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Sanchez is working hard, and he's already important for us"
- 14 Sep 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments 2-2 against City: "Not an easy game to referee. Wilshere is getting to top back"
- 14 Sep 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger faces the umpteenth injury: "Debuchy's ankle doesn't look good"
- 13 Sep 18:30 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY 2-2 - Official matchbox: Demichelis saves the day for Citizens
- 12 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Wenger against homophobia: "Sports should be ahead of society. Fighting against any kind of discrimination is very important"
- 12 Sep 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Chelsea on tracking Alcacer
- 12 Sep 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I'm unhappy with our transfer market"
- 11 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Now we have the right amount of fast and technical players"
- 11 Sep 21:15 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Happy to have Welbeck in Gunners' family. He'll fit better here than in United"
- 11 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Big pressure on us, we must show we improved from last year"
- 11 Sep 17:43 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Cazorla: "I hope Arteta joins back for the game. He's born to be captain"
- 11 Sep 17:26 MANCHESTER CITY, Zabaleta could face Gunners
- 11 Sep 15:45 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Proud of my assist record and the manager's praises"
- 11 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ozil is ok, Ramsey has little chances"
- 11 Sep 12:26 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey could be fit to face City
- 11 Sep 06:19 ARSENAL, Campbell's agent: "Fiorentina were interested"
- 10 Sep 17:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Chambers is a surprise for me. I'm happy I'm playing on a regular basis"
- 10 Sep 14:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Giroud's long-term injury: "Bad loss for us, but we need to come out stronger and be with him"
- 10 Sep 11:59 ARSENAL, Walcott: "I hope to come back stronger and quicker"
- 09 Sep 19:00 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "My future could be complicated"
- 09 Sep 13:15 ARSENAL, Campbell on Cazorla: "His technique left me astonished"
- 09 Sep 10:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Falcao is not just a player, he's a fantastic striker and scorer"
- 09 Sep 09:15 ARSENAL, Welbeck on NT: "We won as a team against Switzerland"
- 09 Sep 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I am happy here"
- 09 Sep 02:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "If someone had told me I would have played for Blues and Mourinho, I wouldn't have believed it"
- 08 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Sanogo on troubles with supporters: "My first goal will throw troubles away"
- 08 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Ospina is a nice guy and a good goalie, but I don't feel sorry for him being my reserve"
- 08 Sep 11:31 ARSENAL, Campbell: "World Cup has been my best experience, we showed we can compete anyone"
- 08 Sep 06:59 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "This club is investing in the right places"
- 07 Sep 09:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rojo: "Being here and share the room with such stars is a dream"
- 06 Sep 21:00 LIVERPOOL, José Enrique: "I really want to help Alberto Moreno"
- 06 Sep 09:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "Hard times made me what I am"
- 06 Sep 00:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, Scholes: "We should not have sold Welbeck to Arsenal"
- 05 Sep 23:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Tiki-taka is not dead"
- 05 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Ozil about World Cup: "When I had the trophy in my hands, there were lots of emotions"
- 04 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Calum Chambers: "He'll become a major NT player soon, he's so confident"
- 04 Sep 10:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Not happy with latest game, now we need to regroup"
- 04 Sep 08:59 CHELSEA, Remy introduces himself: "We can win Champions League. Mourinho knows how to get the best from players"
- 04 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We were unlucky in World Cup"
- 03 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "I am in the bigger club in the world"
- 03 Sep 00:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "Falcao? A fantastic signing. I'm honoured for having become England's captain"
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 01 Sep 01:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Remy excited to work with Mourinho
- 31 Aug 02:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They have been impressive against Everton and Chelsea"
- 30 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "Everything he does is intelligent, he's got perfect timing"
- 30 Aug 14:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Arteta and Gibbs won't be in the game"
- 30 Aug 09:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Winning FA Cup got us hungrier for trophies"
- 30 Aug 01:03 EVERTON, Martinez happy with Europa League draw
- 29 Aug 17:48 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Sanchez: "Unbelievable game of his against Besiktas"
- 29 Aug 14:24 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Chambers surprised me. Sanchez's winning mentality will help us a lot"
- 29 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "We want to win everything"
- 29 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Some players may leave"
- 28 Aug 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Sanchez's victory goal against Besiktas: "Alexis needed to score his first goal as a Gunner"
- 28 Aug 11:44 ARSENAL, Official medical report on Giroud: 4 months' stop
- 28 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We don't have to replace Giroud"
- 27 Aug 15:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Giroud's one can be a long-term injury"
- 27 Aug 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our experience will help us against Besiktas. A crucial game, more on the sport side than financially"
- 27 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "I chose Di Maria as I did with Robben in Bayern. He'll need to fit into the philosophy of our club"
- 27 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I didn't want to leave Real"
- 26 Aug 12:52 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Carra worried about Reds' defence
- 26 Aug 11:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Balotelli: "Of course it's a risk, but he is a big talent"
- 26 Aug 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "I'm in a great team"
- 25 Aug 13:36 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "We learnt from last year's defeat suffered from Everton"
- 25 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Losing against Everton would have been disappointing. We showed a great attitude"
- 25 Aug 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Soon an answer about Borini"
- 24 Aug 09:59 QPR, Redknapp: "We want to keep Rémy"
- 24 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We'll be more careful than last year against Everton"
- 23 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Last year we left the game in Everton's hands. Never had a Premier League so tight"
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 20 Sep 09:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead on Arbeloa
- 20 Sep 09:00 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Depay
- 20 Sep 08:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Still keen on Palmer-Brown
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 20 Sep 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "United can't afford our players"
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 22:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo renews with FC Porto
- 19 Sep 21:37 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Mutu about to sign
- 19 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Van Buyten could come back
- 19 Sep 18:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Martins quits Benfica
- 19 Sep 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Gaudino farther
- 19 Sep 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, The Cavani dream is not over
- 19 Sep 17:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Barragán likely to extend
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 19 Sep 17:15 FIORENTINA & INTER, Ledesma on target if not renewing with Lazio
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 19 Sep 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nottingham Forest loan Laing out
- 19 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Boruc out to Bournemouth
- 19 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: one less suitor for Mata
- 19 Sep 16:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Basa extends for Lille
- 19 Sep 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - SAINT-ETIENNE, Corgnet on Qarabag demi-failure: "We expected a tough game. All group teams will have trouble playing in Azerbaijan"
- 19 Sep 15:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Zengin might renew soon
- 19 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Schär ready
- 19 Sep 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, From Italy: winter attempt for Dani Alves ready
- 19 Sep 14:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - WOLFSBURG, Arnold: "We are not sticking our heads in the sand"
- 19 Sep 14:30 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Keen on Gokhan Gonul
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 19 Sep 14:01 BASTIA, Brandao suspended for head butt to Thiago Motta
- 19 Sep 13:44 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Winter move for Balanta revealed
- 19 Sep 13:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Considering move for Lugano
- 19 Sep 12:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Possible offer to Joseph Yobo
- 19 Sep 12:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Soriano on target
- 19 Sep 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Elche extend Rubio's deal
- 19 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Havre sign Agbetu
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa could come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
- 18 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Solskjaer resigns from Cardiff City manager position
- 18 Sep 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Renewal negotiations reopened for Abate
- 18 Sep 20:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Survey on Okaka
Since having been benched a lot more than expected by Laurent Blanc in the beginning of current season, Uruguayan international striker Edinson Cavani (27) seems to be really weighing up the chance to leave Paris Saint-Germain, even in January, though being still on a deal with t
Hero of the day for Napoli after having scored 2 of the 3 goals thanks to Italian club defeated Sparta Prague in Europa League group round first match
Talking to FC Seville official media after the 2-0 victory over Feyenoord, Argentinian international playmaking midfielder Ever Banega, who joined Eur
Commenting upon Europa League group first match, played against Partizan Belgrade at White Hart Lane and ended in a disappointing 0-0, Tottenham goalk
After the quite unfulfilling 1-1 draw against Azeri outsiders Qarabag, Saint-Etienne offensive midfielder Benjamin Corgnet commented: "Differentl
Commenting upon the 4-1 defeat suffered from Everton, Wolfsburg 1994-born talented offensive midfielder Maxi Arnold stated: "We've been obvio