LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 14.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 02 May 17:47 ARSENAL, Wenger: "How Santi has surprised me"
- 02 May 06:19 READING, Pogrebnyak's agent: "He wants to remain in England"
- 01 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tevez: "Back to Boca? If iy was up to me.."
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three-year deal for Seedorf ready
- 21 May 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pulis quits Stoke City
- 21 May 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Hatemaj
- 21 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sprint for Isco and Lewandowski
- 21 May 22:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Ventura should remain
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Idea Luis Enrique
- 21 May 21:37 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Armand
- 21 May 21:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera could stay
- 21 May 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also PSG after Diego Alves
- 21 May 20:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Feghouli
- 21 May 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bouazza quits Racing
- 21 May 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Consigli
- 21 May 19:42 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Boer extends with Ajax
- 21 May 19:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Back for Iborra
- 21 May 19:16 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Mavuba
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is Ł20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
- 21 May 12:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Here why I'm in London. I'm talking with City"
- 21 May 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva's agent: "No chance I'll leave"
- 21 May 11:45 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Observing Potuk
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I will remain, my agent is taking care of it. I can say that I have received some offers from both Italy and Spain, but the final...
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I...
As reported by todomercadoweb.es, Barcelona star Leonel Messi has declared about the possible arrival of Santos 21 year old striker Neymar:...
Interviewed by the London Evening Standard, Chelsea 29 year old striker Fernando Torres has declared: "The chance to work with Mourinho is...
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund center back Mats Hummels has declared: "There have been no contacts with other clubs. I will...
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has declared: "I think that there is already a pre-agreement between Ancelotti and Real Madri, but I...