LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 14.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 30 Mar 07:29 MAN. CITY, Silva: "Barça? I am happy here"
- 29 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "My future? I have given my word.."
- 28 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Gunners crisis: "There's still a lot of turning games before the season ends"
- 28 Mar 11:00 NEW YORK RED BULLS, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry: "I'm excited for playing friendly match against Gunners"
- 28 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ramsey is progressing in recovering"
- 21 Apr 10:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Idea Leonardo for the bench
- 21 Apr 09:00 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Auction for Martinez
- 21 Apr 08:30 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Everaldo joins Figueirense
- 21 Apr 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Badstuber is back
- 21 Apr 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Clément: "I want to stay"
- 21 Apr 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "De Jong and Mlapa? We'll see.."
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 21 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not in talks for a new contract"
- 20 Apr 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Cercle Brugge sign De Bie
- 20 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ VERONA, In talks for Espericueta
- 20 Apr 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Idea Regula
- 20 Apr 21:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Doubts about Elkeson
- 20 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Andreasen
- 20 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer to Silva
- 20 Apr 20:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Mission for Carrillo
- 20 Apr 19:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Three names for the offensive line
- 20 Apr 19:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Pinto ready
- 20 Apr 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Lazio
- 20 Apr 18:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Trying to extend Caparrós' deal
- 20 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Garay for the defense
- 20 Apr 17:27 URUGUAY/ SPORTING, Italian auction for Silva
- 20 Apr 16:57 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Sollbauer renews with Wolfsberger
- 20 Apr 16:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Conte on the wishlist
- 20 Apr 15:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Italian suitors for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN, No more interested in Laporte
- 20 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Fernando ready
- 20 Apr 14:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Schwegler intended to leave
- 20 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Rafa Silva
- 20 Apr 13:29 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Fauré renews with Charleroi
- 20 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Lanzini
- 20 Apr 12:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Eyes on Contento
- 20 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Soon meeting for Rolando
- 20 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, New mission for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 20 Apr 09:00 BORDEAUX, Maurice-Belay: "I want to stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by BeINSport, Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has declared: "My future? Now I am thinking about winning the title with Juve,...
Interviewed by Sport, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi will improve and will continue to be our leader. Our...
Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood has declared about 22 year old winger Christian Eriksen: "You are always fearful that someone might come and...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...