LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 15.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Jun 10:26 TOTTENHAM defender Vertonghen welcomes Wanyama
- 18 Jun 20:05 OFFICIAL - Davis extends for Southampton
- 16 Jun 17:58 LEICESTER - Simpson: "We want to improve next season"
- 16 Jun 17:31 BURNLEY to face RANGERS in friendly match
- 15 Jun 21:15 SOUTHAMPTON - Frank De Boer close to become new manager
- 15 Jun 18:00 CHELSEA, Pedro: "I'd like to end my career at Barça"
- 14 Jun 17:16 LEICESTER defender Wasilewski signed a new contract
- 13 Jun 16:30 LEICESTER CITY, Simpson: "I told Vardy he should stay. No money can buy our bond, it's a special group"
- 13 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA, Hazard: "My last season was a failure, and I'm staying put. Conte? Happy to play against him"
- 12 Jun 15:34 WATFORD - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:42 WBA - Three players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:22 NORWICH - Eight players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:46 SWANSEA - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:20 SUNDERLAND - Seven players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:04 STOKE CITY - Eight players have been released
- 10 Jun 17:14 ARSENAL - Wenger: "I admire and like N'Golo Kante a lot"
- 09 Jun 20:43 ENGLAND - Hart: "I fully believe in the guys we have got"
- 09 Jun 14:36 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford: "It doesn't seem real"
- 09 Jun 14:09 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Rooney has been England's best"
- 08 Jun 15:48 ENGLAND - Lallana: "Important to get a good start"
- 07 Jun 18:48 ENGLAND - Sturridge: "Age not an issue at Euro 2016"
- 07 Jun 16:58 ENGLAND - Kane: "Vardy and I kept the faith"
- 06 Jun 17:16 ENGLAND - Milner: "We need to win our first game"
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
According to latest international news, 22 years old Belgian star striker Michy Batshuayi, currently engaged with De Rode Duivels/Les Diables Rouges in Euro 2016 campaign, passed medical checks for Chelsea.
Premier League giants will pay Olympique Marseille, whose roster
Attending his first press conference as Juventus player, 33 years old Brazilian star Dani Alves stated:
"I chose 23 as my number, same one as
Villarreal announced having extended their deals with former Italian international defensive all-rounder Daniele Bonera (35), until June 2017, an
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
French broadcast InfoSportPlus, as reported below, posted a tweet including Olympique Lyon owner Jean-Michel Aulas' latest statements, regard
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici