LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 06 Apr 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "He will join a top club"
- 05 Apr 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cech deserves a new prospective"
- 04 Apr 06:29 LEICESTER, Cambiasso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 02 Apr 12:30 ARSENAL, Debuchy returns to training
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerìn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 27 Apr 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Soon we'll talk about Ventura's new deal"
- 26 Apr 23:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Douglas Costa would like to join
- 26 Apr 22:57 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Nani could stay
- 26 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Diaz ready
- 26 Apr 21:59 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, No agreement for Gundogan
- 26 Apr 21:30 ITALY/ INTER, Mission for Dybala
- 26 Apr 21:00 FRANCE/ OM, Ranieri the next coach?
- 26 Apr 20:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Atletico PR sign Kadu
- 26 Apr 19:57 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Obi Mikel towards Real
- 26 Apr 19:29 ITALY/ INTER, Also Vrsaljko on the list
- 26 Apr 18:59 GERMANY/ BAYER, Keen on Weiser
- 26 Apr 18:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, No agreement for Carvalho
- 26 Apr 18:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Working for Otamendi's new deal
- 26 Apr 17:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, Auction for Simon
- 26 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Eyes on Fekir
- 26 Apr 15:00 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Eyes on Jung
- 26 Apr 14:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Leed on Kasami
- 26 Apr 13:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Ze Roberto retires
- 26 Apr 12:57 OM, Ayew: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 26 Apr 12:29 WOLFSBURG, Perisic: "I want to stay"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 26 Apr 11:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Garcia stays"
- 26 Apr 05:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Working on Abdennour
- 26 Apr 04:00 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Survey on Rafael
- 26 Apr 03:00 ITALY/ INTER, Filipe Luis on target
- 26 Apr 02:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, 2 more Italian suitors for Jesé Rodriguez
- 26 Apr 01:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, 4 years deal offered to André Ayew
- 26 Apr 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Approaching Kondogbia
- 25 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Jorginho offered to Palermo
- 25 Apr 22:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Suggestion for Van Der Vaart
- 25 Apr 21:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Majestic offer for Van Der Wiel ready
- 25 Apr 20:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Keen on Rod Fanni
- 25 Apr 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Manchester United insisting on De Vrij
- 25 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back for Imbula: challenge thrown to Chelsea
- 25 Apr 17:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Jordi Alba on target
- 25 Apr 16:00 ASTON VILLA & EVERTON, Eyes on Micah Richards
- 25 Apr 15:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, 3 suitors for Moses Simon
- 25 Apr 14:00 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Gustavo Henrique's agent: "AC Milan on his tracks for a long time"
- 25 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale's agent: "He's unlikely to stay. He'll make his choice in June"
- 25 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Dortmund on Gundogan: the sums
- 25 Apr 11:00 MLS - CANADA/ TORONTO FC, Survey on Santacroce
- 25 Apr 10:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Eyes on Kosanovic
- 25 Apr 09:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, First attempt for Praet failed
- 25 Apr 08:30 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Jovetic
- 25 Apr 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Pareja injured
- 25 Apr 07:27 MONACO, Kondogbia: "My future? I am happy here"
- 25 Apr 06:59 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Donati's agent: "I don't think he'll stay"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
While several clubs are tracking Tunisian international centre-back Aymen Abdennour (25), Arsenal management are trying to hasten and blaze competitors and sign him soon. Currently on a deal with AS Monaco until June 2019, former Toulouse and Werder Bremen player, not e
Interviewed by Sky Sport after the game won against city rivals Juventus, Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared about the future of his team'
Real Sociedad coach David Moyes has declared: "We want to get good players here. Illarramendi is a very good player and the president, myself and
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has declared: "What will I do this summer if Real Madrid come calling? No, no, never, you can trust me, Ba
Through his Twitter profile, OM 25-year-old winger André Ayew stated: "After all I have read and heard, I want to inform that I haven'
Wolfsburg 26-year-old striker Ivan Perisic has told WAZ: "I have two more years on my contract and my goal is to stay here for another two years.