LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 27 Aug 08:39 WEST BROM. , Peace: "Berahino won't leave"
- 21 Aug 06:29 WATFORD, Sanchez Flores: "Soon a decision about Vydra"
- 20 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri's agent: "Inter? Nothing concrete"
- 19 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 14 Aug 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Obertan: "I want to stay"
- 13 Aug 19:29 ARSENAL, Wenger is unsure about Rosicky's absence
- 13 Aug 08:39 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "I want to stay"
- 12 Aug 18:10 ARSENAL, Rosicky out for up to two months
- 12 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "No news about his future"
- 11 Aug 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect Stones to stay"
- 10 Aug 11:40 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho struck from 25 yards out in the 86th minute to win
- 10 Aug 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Optimistic about Shaqiri"
- 09 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "I hope we'll announce a new signing soon"
- 08 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Benzema? Just media talk"
- 07 Aug 06:29 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "Happy with my team"
- 06 Aug 06:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "We are not after Coloccini"
- 05 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Great if Benzema would join us, but.."
- 04 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Soldado to Real? I can't confirm"
- 03 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Nothing true about Benzema"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 18 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "Many offers for him"
- 18 Jul 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are in talks for Filipe Luis"
- 17 Jul 06:59 MAN. UTD, Rooney: "Moving to the US? Could be..."
- 14 Jul 11:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Cech has lifted us"
- 14 Jul 10:37 LEICESTER CITY, Ranieri: "I wish to thank the owner, his son and all the executives of the Club"
- 13 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael's agent: "He could join Benfica"
- 10 Jul 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 09 Jul 06:29 ASTON VIllA, Richards: "Inter wanted me, but.."
- 08 Jul 06:29 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "I'm confident we'll make the right signings"
- 07 Jul 15:10 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why I love our overseas fans"
- 07 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Milner: "Great to be here"
- 06 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Relaxed about my future"
- 02 Jul 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Letting Cech leave was the right decision"
- 01 Jul 20:15 ARSENAL, Cech: "I’m sure I’ll settle quickly"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 28 Aug 16:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Olympique Marseille sign Norwegian youngster Haugan
- 28 Aug 16:31 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Almost done for Ramiro Funes Mori: 5 million pounds to River Plate
- 28 Aug 16:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto loan Ricardo Nunes out
- 28 Aug 16:04 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Kucka
- 28 Aug 15:59 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ljajic refuses West Ham after agreement between clubs
- 28 Aug 15:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Zuñiga about to join Galatasaray
- 28 Aug 15:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Rony Lopes from Manchester City
- 28 Aug 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Henrique offered to Flamengo for signing Samir
- 28 Aug 14:43 FRANCE/ PSG, Al-Khelaifi about Lavezzi transfer: "He has a deal with us"
- 28 Aug 14:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Tracking Higuain in January
- 28 Aug 14:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Astonishing offer from City for De Bruyne"
- 28 Aug 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham sign Heung-Min Son
- 28 Aug 13:44 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen sign Kampl
- 28 Aug 13:28 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Toivonen joins Sunderland in season-long loan
- 28 Aug 13:13 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marseille: Aloè on loan to Valenciennes
- 28 Aug 13:01 ITALY/ INTER, Started again Felipe Melo trade
- 28 Aug 12:43 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, £37m for John Stones
- 28 Aug 12:34 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Genoa confirmed the reject of Benfica for Cristante
- 28 Aug 12:29 ITALY/ JUVE, Chelsea won't give up for Pogba
- 28 Aug 12:29 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Joined the race to sign Draxler
- 28 Aug 12:13 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Still expect Borini to leave
- 28 Aug 11:59 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Fenerbahçe want Markovic
- 28 Aug 11:44 FRANCE/ OL, To challenge As Roma for Darder
- 28 Aug 11:29 ITALY/ INTER, Siqueira always more far
- 28 Aug 11:14 ITALY/ INTER, Chelsea want China Star
- 28 Aug 11:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo joins Vitoria
- 28 Aug 10:40 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Oikonomou injured
- 28 Aug 10:17 GUINGAMP, Gourvennec: "We are not after Martin"
- 28 Aug 09:57 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Perisic has a high evaluation"
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 28 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Nothing true about Ibrahimovic"
- 28 Aug 03:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Manchester United submit Lazio majestic cash offer for Felipe Anderson
- 28 Aug 02:27 UAE/ AL-AHLI, Moussa Sow about to join from Fenerbahce
- 28 Aug 01:57 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AC MILAN, Berlusconi stops Mexes' transfer to Fiorentina
- 28 Aug 01:29 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Twente sign Chinedu Ede
- 28 Aug 00:59 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Caykur Rizespor sign Makiadi
- 28 Aug 00:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Gegé joins Arouca
- 28 Aug 00:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Aderlan Santos joins Valencia
- 27 Aug 23:27 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Paços sign Joao Silva
- 27 Aug 22:57 FRANCE/ NANTES, Keen on Cana
- 27 Aug 22:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Palermo sign Gilardino
- 27 Aug 21:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia sign Santos
- 27 Aug 21:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Carbonero joins Sampdoria
- 27 Aug 21:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo sign Pogrebnyak
- 27 Aug 20:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart sign Sunjic
- 27 Aug 20:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Kurzawa
- 27 Aug 19:59 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Schalke sign Nubel
- 27 Aug 19:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Paletta joins Atalanta
- 27 Aug 19:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lucas Silva joins OM
- 27 Aug 19:00 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Trying to hijack Alex Song from West Ham: offer to Barça
Through their Twitter page, and subsequently through the official site, AC Milan announced having signed Slovakian international midfielder Juraj Kucka (28), seemingly about to join Bursaspor just yesterday, on a deal lasting until June 2019. Kucka leaves Genoa after 4 seaso
Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has told Mediaset: "Ibrahimovic? Fanciful idea, we admire him but I deny everything. It's not easy
Sevilla FC midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, considered a target for Arsenal, has declared on his Twitter: "In the next season I will still be at t
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "Signing a striker is like making love to a beautiful woman. It is never easy. There are alwa
Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasiljev has declared: "We have budgeted for the Europa League. So, if we had been in the Champions League, it would
Interviewed by TMW, Wolfsburg Sporting Director Klaus Allofs has declared about 26-year-old winger Ivan Perisic: "All seems leading to his stay a