LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 30 Apr 06:39 CHELSEA, Obi Mikel's agent: "Real Madrid? No comment"
- 29 Apr 12:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Tourè out two weeks
- 29 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We won't sell out best players"
- 28 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Depay? We'll see"
- 27 Apr 17:24 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I'll always be grateful to Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 06 Apr 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "He will join a top club"
- 05 Apr 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cech deserves a new prospective"
- 04 Apr 06:29 LEICESTER, Cambiasso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 02 Apr 12:30 ARSENAL, Debuchy returns to training
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 30 May 09:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Ruiz always closer
- 30 May 08:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Also Galatasaray after Dani Alves
- 30 May 07:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu underwent surgery
- 30 May 07:27 MONACO, Abdennour's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 30 May 06:59 LEVERKUSEN, Drmic: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I would like to stay"
- 30 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I hope Ancelotti wil join us"
- 29 May 23:37 FRANCE/ OL, Idea N'Koulou
- 29 May 23:17 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Panathinaikos sign Wemmer
- 29 May 22:59 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Ingolstadt sign Bregerie
- 29 May 22:39 ITALY/ PALERMO, Eyes on Jorginho
- 29 May 22:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Gundogan likely to join
- 29 May 22:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Danzé renews with Rennes
- 29 May 21:37 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Avdijaj remains at Sturm Graz
- 29 May 21:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Atsu joins Bournemouth
- 29 May 20:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Emery unlikely to join
- 29 May 20:39 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Vergara is Unión Española new coach
- 29 May 20:20 ITALY/ INTER, Telles about to join
- 29 May 20:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Sprint for Vietto
- 29 May 19:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea De Bruyne
- 29 May 19:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham sign Wimmer
- 29 May 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Also Oscar on the wishlist
- 29 May 18:39 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, 10 millions for Nolito
- 29 May 18:20 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Benatia
- 29 May 18:00 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Gaitan and Benfica is near
- 29 May 17:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Flamengo sign Guerrero
- 29 May 17:17 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Lead on Gignac
- 29 May 16:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Belfodil: the player likes the hypothesis
- 29 May 16:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL: Palacios, Sorensen and Wilkinson leave Stoke City as free agents
- 29 May 16:20 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ INTER, Contacts with Bayern for Benatia
- 29 May 16:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Barça canteran Patric about to join
- 29 May 15:37 ARGENTINA/ LANÚS, 2 Serie A suitors for Gustavo Gomez
- 29 May 15:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Duel to Porto on Mbemba
- 29 May 14:59 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Barcelona FC increase chances for Cuadrado
- 29 May 14:39 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Approaching Lenglet
- 29 May 14:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Joshua King joins Bournemouth
- 29 May 14:00 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Audax Italiano sign Labrín and Miño
- 29 May 13:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR sign Luongo
- 29 May 13:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Markovic more and more likely to leave
- 29 May 13:15 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AC MILAN, Renewal chances for Pazzini increasing
- 29 May 13:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Bruno Peres on target: duel to AS Roma and the others
- 29 May 12:30 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Duel to Hellas Verona on Brugman
- 29 May 12:00 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Thorsten Fink is the new Austria Wien manager
- 29 May 11:27 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Suggestion for Rulli
- 29 May 10:57 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma, plan for Kondogbia
- 29 May 10:29 SPAIN/ CELTA VIGO, Worldwide suitors for Larrivey
- 29 May 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Besiktas make steps forward towards Britos
- 29 May 09:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Football Championship loan in the viewfinder for Browning
- 29 May 09:00 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ LAZIO, Back for Clasie
Manchester United management are getting nearer and nearer to sign Argentinian international offensive midfielder and winger Nicolas Gaitan (27) from Benfica. While former Boca Juniors player will have his current annual fee kept at about 6.5 million euros, Aguias, recent winners
AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has told RMC: "I really hope that Ancelotti will be back on Milan's bench in the next season. We are str
Valencia forward Alvaro Negredo has told ESPN: "It has been a difficult season for me. I have suffered from an injury during the whole season. I
Mathieu Flamini says Arsenal have learnt from last season’s “nightmare” start to the FA Cup final.
The Gunners found themselves t
Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivère has declared about his team's coach Claude Puel: "I never had doubts about it, he will stay for the
Wolfsburg attacking midifelder Kevin de Bruyne has told Bild: "I think, to be honest, I would not return to Chelsea as long as Mourinho is in cha