LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 02 Jan 19:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Gerrard's farewell: "An immense player, an incomparable leader and man. The word legend doesn't do him justice"
- 02 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I love this club"
- 01 Jan 07:00 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "The transfer market? We won't be busy"
- 31 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "It was tough to watch"
- 31 Dec 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "I want to keep Shelvey"
- 30 Dec 12:21 ARSENAL, Gibbs: "I want to become a great player"
- 30 Dec 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Stambouli: "No regrets about coming here"
- 29 Dec 15:44 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We defended with spirit"
- 29 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 28 Dec 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 26 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL v QPR - Boxing Day Preview - Giroud: "Happy to hear headers aren't my best quality"
- 25 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger: "Balance in rotation is very hard to find"
- 25 Dec 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? You never know.."
- 24 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Szczesny: "Austin could be a role model for young English players"
- 24 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Mertesacker: "He had a difficult start, but he's got sharper"
- 24 Dec 06:59 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "No enquiries for Berahino"
- 23 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger on team news: "Rosicky and Sanogo will be certainly back"
- 23 Dec 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I like Morrison"
- 22 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm not pleased by our performance, but we take a good point achieved at Liverpool"
- 22 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Flamini after 2-2 at Liverpool: "We'll improve as we recover injured players"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 30 Jan 20:39 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gunter could come back
- 30 Jan 20:20 FRANCE/ SAINT-ETIENNE, Offer for Kilic ready
- 30 Jan 20:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Dorow joins Mainz
- 30 Jan 19:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hendrie will play for West Ham
- 30 Jan 19:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Nürnberg
- 30 Jan 19:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Ceglie quits Parma
- 30 Jan 19:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia sign Brunn Larsen
- 30 Jan 18:51 AS ROMA, Strootman: "Unfortunately there is some cartilaginous damage"
- 30 Jan 18:39 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Fluminense, Fred extends until 2018
- 30 Jan 18:28 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Fletcher in talks
- 30 Jan 18:19 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta: arrives on loan the young Franck Kessie
- 30 Jan 18:10 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter: Krhin to Cordoba. Laxalt returns
- 30 Jan 18:01 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Demba Ba as a last-minute target for 2 Premier League clubs
- 30 Jan 17:55 AS ROMA, Strootman underwent arthroscopic treatment in his left knee today
- 30 Jan 17:53 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Antonelli about to be announced
- 30 Jan 17:44 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Salah about to join in Cuadrado's trade
- 30 Jan 17:41 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Inter, back rumors about Bakrie
- 30 Jan 17:40 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Roma: arrives Pepin
- 30 Jan 17:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester United sign El Fitouri
- 30 Jan 17:29 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Armero leaves: deal with Genoa
- 30 Jan 17:22 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Done for Bonazzoli: the sums
- 30 Jan 17:14 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, FC Seville loan Rabello out again
- 30 Jan 17:06 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Catania hire Escalante back from Boca Juniors
- 30 Jan 16:57 GERMANY/ FC KOLN, Approaching Hosiner
- 30 Jan 16:49 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Spearing joins Blackburn Rovers
- 30 Jan 16:42 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: Van Gaal wants Pogba back at United, record-beating offer ready
- 30 Jan 16:34 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Move for United youngster Powell
- 30 Jan 16:25 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Stindl on target
- 30 Jan 16:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Gillet leaves Torino and joins Catania on a full basis
- 30 Jan 16:08 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Zuculini leaves Valencia earlier and joins City back
- 30 Jan 16:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Buonanotte joins Quilmes
- 30 Jan 15:53 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Cuadrado and agent in Fiorentina's headquarter for defining Chelsea trade
- 30 Jan 15:46 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Aveni resigns from Catania and joins Juve Stabia
- 30 Jan 15:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Duel to Napoli on Darmian
- 30 Jan 15:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, All done for Doumbia
- 30 Jan 15:23 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester City loan Hervé Pepe-Ngoma out
- 30 Jan 15:16 ENGLAND/ BIRMINGHAM CITY, Rowett: "I like Marc Roberts from Halifax"
- 30 Jan 15:09 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Joo-Ho Park extends for Mainz 05
- 30 Jan 15:02 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Olic joins Hamburg back
- 30 Jan 14:54 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent macabre: "You leave for an at least 60 million euros payment, or you'll die here"
- 30 Jan 14:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA loan Donervorn Daniels to Aberdeen
- 30 Jan 14:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Janker joins Augsburg
- 30 Jan 14:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ilicic might be the key for signing Baselli
- 30 Jan 14:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Giovinco about to join Toronto FC soon
- 30 Jan 14:09 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa sign Sinclair
- 30 Jan 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Uruguayan star Suarez
- 30 Jan 13:51 ITALY/ CHIEVO VERONA, Last-minute duel to Sassuolo on Fetfatzidis
- 30 Jan 13:42 ITALY/ INTER, Krhin about to join Cordoba
- 30 Jan 13:33 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Lech Poznan sign Kadar
- 30 Jan 13:24 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Granada loan Jafar out
A Premier League from the second half of 2010/11 to 2013/14, having worn shirts from West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea, Senegalese international striker Demba Ba (29), according to latest news reported in UK media, has become a last-minute winter target for both Aston Villa and Hul
Kevin Strootman underwent arthroscopic treatment in his left knee today. The surgery allowed to prove and confirm the stability of the new ligam
Interviewed by RAC 1, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi and Luis Enrique? They are very well, tensions are normal, bu
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has declared about the possibility to sign Manchester United 30-year-old midfielder Darren Fletcher: "It's sti
Interviewed by RMC, OM attacking midfielder Florian Thauvin has declared: "Leaving this club last summer, after just one year, was not part of my
Interviewed by Die Welt, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "My players are focused on the season, and I have positive sensations