LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 19 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Sometimes I get nervous watching my teammates' games"
- 19 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "Games against United and Dortmund might get us on top"
- 19 Nov 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "Arnautović will stay"
- 18 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Nov 19:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Now we must be all ready to fight. This season has been a rollercoaster up to now"
- 17 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I want to be back in December. I'm improving a lot here, quality-wise"
- 17 Nov 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "PSG was an option, but.."
- 16 Nov 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Pochettino is not to blame"
- 16 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on NT specificities: "Poland have very good goalies, Italians defend better. Spanish ones are the most technical, English go on fighting spirit, German are balanced"
- 15 Nov 06:29 WEST HAM, Gold: "Zarate doesn't want to leave"
- 14 Nov 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 13 Nov 06:15 Southampton, Schneiderlin: "I want to play for a big club"
- 12 Nov 19:29 ARSENAL, Ospina: "I started as a striker. I'm doing my best in one of the best clubs worldwide"
- 12 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, Anderson: "I could move back to Grèmio"
- 11 Nov 19:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Valdes is training with reserve squad, hope we'll know more about him soon"
- 10 Nov 17:23 ARSENAL, Olsson: "The most important thing is that I get to play on as high level "
- 10 Nov 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I could have moved back to Italy"
- 09 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I didn't want Fabianski to leave. Swansea are a tough opponent"
- 08 Nov 13:00 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott needs some time"
- 08 Nov 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We don't want to sell Touré"
- 07 Nov 09:17 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere's back, Arteta will be out"
- 07 Nov 06:39 STOKE, Bojan: "I am happy here"
- 06 Nov 21:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "My priority is helping defence, since we are a very offensive team"
- 06 Nov 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Lucas: "Napoli were after me"
- 05 Nov 06:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on 3-3 against Anderlecht: "We got punished. Losing Arteta was fatal"
- 04 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL, Arteta on Chambers: "I'm pleased by his bravery, he's so confident"
- 04 Nov 17:15 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "He hasn't got to be obsessed with scoring goals"
- 03 Nov 15:14 ARSENAL, Wenger: "England must be cautious with Walcott"
- 03 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Chambers: "Scoring has been a dream for me"
- 03 Nov 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez is one of those players who can make the difference"
- 02 Nov 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "We were after Ulloa"
- 31 Oct 16:30 ARSENAL v BURNLEY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere won't probably be available"
- 31 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I feel confident here. Champions League debut gave me goosebumps"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 07:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing that got me back is my pride"
- 28 Oct 12:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I'm comfortable with Flamini, we made Sanchez more free. Now we need to be consistent"
- 28 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Sanchez is an unbelievable player"
- 28 Oct 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Paulinho won't join Corinthians"
- 27 Oct 15:00 LIVERPOOL, Del Piero on Balotelli's failure: "He needs to put his own mind together in order to have his technique count"
- 24 Oct 20:30 SUNDERLAND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott is not ready"
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 23 Oct 15:15 ANDERLECHT, Hasi furious after Arsenal defeat: "We'd have deserved to win, referee should take full responsibility"
- 23 Oct 14:30 CHELSEA, Terry satisfied: "We are showing all our depth"
- 23 Oct 13:59 Carragher: "Balotelli will be sold before next season"
- 23 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on triumph over Anderlecht: "We won thanks not to have conceded a second goal after their 1-0"
- 23 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Vertonghen going nowhere"
- 22 Oct 14:15 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger on Martinez: "I am extremely confident in him"
- 22 Oct 13:30 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Hasi: "We'll have to stop Sanchez"
- 22 Oct 12:00 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger: "Martinez will play as a goalkeeper"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 21 Oct 15:00 ARSENAL, Monreal on Bellerin: "He's got a great career ahead of him"
- 21 Oct 12:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Full responsibility on us, but Hull's first goal was not regular"
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Soon we'll talk with Bony's agents"
- 19 Oct 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Shawcross going nowhere"
- 17 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Yedlin could join us in January"
- 16 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Veljkovic: "I am leaving on loan"
- 15 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "Replacing Wenger will be a challenge"
- 14 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Ozil turns out transfer rumors
- 13 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I don't want to leave"
- 11 Oct 06:29 SUNDERLAND. Altidore: "If I won't get to play, I will leave"
- 10 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am not happy with situation"
- 09 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am happy here"
- 09 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Pallotta: "Strootman not for sale"
- 08 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Criticism has made me stronger"
- 07 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Toure doesn't want to leave"
- 04 Oct 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Milan no longer after Taarabt"
- 01 Oct 06:19 MAN. CITY, Hart: "Italy? I am happy here"
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "One day I will return to Rosario"
- 29 Sep 06:29 CHELSEA. Hazard: "Back to France? Maybe one day, but for Lille"
- 28 Sep 06:59 CHELSEA, Rémy: "I was never joining Arsenal"
- 27 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Flamini: "When I joined Gunners first, I was told about the derby with Tottenham"
- 27 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Dier: "We'll do our best for making Spurs' fans happy"
- 27 Sep 14:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Wenger: "Important meaning and moment of the season"
- 27 Sep 13:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Arteta: "Pochettino was a father to me. Defeating Spurs is vital"
- 27 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "I have signed until January, I can't say more"
- 26 Sep 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I think Mario is potentially world class"
- 26 Sep 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez dismisses Barkley rumours
- 25 Sep 21:17 ARSENAL, Wenger: "You understand a young player's mind features when you watch him playing"
- 25 Sep 20:20 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain looking forward to London derby: "Victories over Spurs are the sweetest ones"
- 25 Sep 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Flamini might be on for the derby"
- 25 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL, Ospina on his debut: "Unfortunately we lost, but I know I played a good game"
- 24 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Lampard's future? We'll see"
- 23 Sep 14:39 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Having our fans behind makes everything easier for us. I thank all my teammates"
- 23 Sep 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Diaby: "He's a giant, mentally. I believe in him, justice should reserve him a better future"
- 23 Sep 06:20 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Arsenal didn't want me"
- 21 Nov 17:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli insists he will be a top player despite slow start
- 21 Nov 16:59 INTER, Thohir: "We're building our five-year business plan"
- 21 Nov 16:44 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin: "Mancini?I really admire him as a coach"
- 21 Nov 16:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Bale: "Ronaldo makes me a better player"
- 21 Nov 16:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Leo is happy at Barca"
- 21 Nov 15:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA; Mourinho dismisses talk of Petr Cech leaving Blues
- 21 Nov 15:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers reveals Sturridge woe
- 21 Nov 15:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Luer joins Hull City
- 21 Nov 15:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "I tried to sign Messi"
- 21 Nov 13:15 ENGLAND/ QPR, started the trade for Pablo Alvarez
- 21 Nov 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Birmingham, Guy Moussi sign for 2 months
- 21 Nov 12:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, O.L. Gonalons pens new deal
- 21 Nov 12:30 SPAIN/ REAL BETIS, Approaching Diakité
- 21 Nov 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Duel to AC Milan for Soriano
- 21 Nov 12:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone available to loan Cerci to Inter
- 21 Nov 11:45 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Eyes on Molina
- 21 Nov 11:30 AUSTRIA/ STURM GRAZ, Keen on Huspek
- 21 Nov 11:15 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Offer for Bruma ready
- 21 Nov 11:00 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Caner Erkin
- 21 Nov 10:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eyes on Reinartz
- 21 Nov 10:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger keen on Joao Moutinho
- 21 Nov 10:15 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, 2 rivals towards signing Asensio
- 21 Nov 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BELENENSES, Sapunaru on target
- 21 Nov 09:46 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Vertonghen for the back line
- 21 Nov 09:40 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Eyes on Obiang
- 21 Nov 09:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Pazzini likely to join Sampdoria in January
- 21 Nov 08:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti until 2017
- 21 Nov 08:39 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brown renews with Celtic
- 21 Nov 08:19 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Godin towards Bayern
- 21 Nov 08:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Armand renews with Rennes
- 21 Nov 07:40 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, New deal for Eto'o ready
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 21 Nov 06:57 NICE, Cvitanich: "The next months will be my last ones here"
- 21 Nov 06:39 BAYER, Voller: "Drmic going nowhere"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 21 Nov 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia: "I am happy here"
- 20 Nov 23:37 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Also Villarreal after Suarez
- 20 Nov 23:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Interest for Dani Alves
- 20 Nov 22:59 GREECE/ PAOK, Eyes on Mollo
- 20 Nov 22:39 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Interest for Khedira denied
- 20 Nov 22:20 FRANCE/ OL, Agreement for Gonalons' new contract
- 20 Nov 22:00 CHILE/ SANTIAGO WANDERERS, Eyes on Pizarro
- 20 Nov 21:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two players renew with FC Porto
- 20 Nov 21:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Gamakov
- 20 Nov 21:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Agreement with Khedira
- 20 Nov 21:00 AC MILAN, Abbiati: "The best goal in the derby? In my opinion Shevchenko’s in the second leg of the Champions"
- 20 Nov 20:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Surgery a success for Lahm
- 20 Nov 20:31 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Montoya away in January
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli is confident he will soon start scoring again and become a "top player" at Anfield.
“I give myself half a point more, so seven, because I run more than before," Balotelli said. "I run, I'm running now, I've ne
Erick Thohir: "Together for Inter" President spoke to the media after today's shareholders' meeting and appointment of the new board
Interviewed by 8TV, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared about the rumors regarding Lionel Messi: "Leo is the best in the World,
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has revealed: "I’m up for more quality Germans joining the club. Ozil and I spoke to Khedira a few times a
Interviewed by TMW, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is upset because of his injury, he has come to wa
Interviewed by Bild, Bayer Leverkusen Sporting Director Rudi Voller has declared: "We need Drmic because we have many games to play in this seaso