LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerěn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, It’s 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 31 Mar 13:15 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Rolando Bianchi won't be hired back: a possible Chinese future
- 31 Mar 13:00 LIVERPOOL & EVERTON, Duel to Crystal Palace on M'Bia
- 31 Mar 12:46 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Armero about to be announced
- 31 Mar 12:33 GERMANY/ B. DORTMUND, Eye on Beauvue
- 31 Mar 12:22 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Also Liverpool and Atletico Madrid interested in Oscar
- 31 Mar 11:58 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, De Gea too expensive, tracking Leno
- 31 Mar 11:49 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Gaya renewal on deadlock
- 31 Mar 11:40 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao: "Move to Man United would be 'an honour'"
- 31 Mar 11:32 FRANCE/ PSG, Trying to sign Andreas Pereira
- 31 Mar 11:24 FRANCE/ PSG, Lacazette the heir of Ibra
- 31 Mar 11:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Also Chelsea interested in Alex Song
- 31 Mar 11:06 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "We would never listen to any offers for Bale"
- 31 Mar 10:47 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Rafaela sign Osmar Ferreyra
- 31 Mar 10:27 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Liam Henderson might leave on loan next season: a Norwegian suitor
- 31 Mar 09:59 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Latza on target
- 31 Mar 09:29 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Stabaek sign Diomande and El Ghanassy
- 31 Mar 09:00 GERMANY/ HERTHA, Eyes on Yabo
- 31 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Two clubs after Zappacosta
- 31 Mar 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Jallet injured
- 31 Mar 06:59 BAYERN, Bernat: "I think Alaba will remain with us"
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "It's not time for me to leave"
- 30 Mar 23:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco sign Biancucchi
- 30 Mar 22:57 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Also Atletico after Firmino
- 30 Mar 22:29 ITALY/ GENOA, Lestienne intended to leave
- 30 Mar 21:59 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Idea Ismael Sosa
- 30 Mar 21:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Willems renews with Charleroi
- 30 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on Pastore
- 30 Mar 20:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Matulevicius
- 30 Mar 20:17 FRANCE/ OM, Auction for Gignac
- 30 Mar 19:59 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Auction for Bruma
- 30 Mar 19:39 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for Cerri
- 30 Mar 19:20 GERMANY/ 1. FC KOLN, Eyes on Marques
- 30 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Back for Neto
- 30 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos' renewal on stand-by
- 30 Mar 18:30 ITALY/ INTER, Podolski could leave.
- 30 Mar 18:21 ENGLAND/ WIGAN, Offer pro deals
- 30 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Barcelona want Bellerin back
- 30 Mar 17:48 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Vertonghen
- 30 Mar 17:36 ITALY/ TORINO, Duel to Empoli and Palermo on Viviani
- 30 Mar 17:24 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tracking Naismith
- 30 Mar 17:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy more and more likely to join Genoa back on loan
- 30 Mar 17:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter scouting Nabil Fekir
- 30 Mar 16:48 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Torosidis as a counterpart for signing Bruno Peres from Torino
- 30 Mar 16:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Tottenham on youngster Ben Kennedy
- 30 Mar 16:24 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio wants to stay
- 30 Mar 16:12 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Gross on target
- 30 Mar 16:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Pedro for sale: accepting offers over 20 million euros
- 30 Mar 15:48 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Mitrovic's agent: "Discussing on transfer market, but he might not leave"
Set to leave FC Seville as a free agent in June, after 2 seasons spent playing for Spanish club and, for the time being, an Europa League won as a protagonist, Cameroonian international central midfielder Stephane M'Bia (28), according to Daily Mirror, has become a main
Interviewed by Rai, Fiorentina 29-year-old striker Mario Gomez has declared: "It's not time for me to leave Fiorentina, first I have to help
Interviewed by Globoesporte, Real Madrid 22-year-old midfielder Lucas Silva has declared about the possibility to be loaned to Porto: "I don'
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates has told Sky Sports News HQ: "There are some obvious things we want to do. We would like to extend Asmir Begovic
PSG Director of Football Dani Alves has declared about the imminent signing of 31-year-old right back Dani Alves: "He is a great player, as well
Bayern Munich 22-year-old left wingback Juan Bernat has declared about his team mate David Alaba, considered a target for Real Madrid: "I don'