LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 01 Aug 21:20 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Done for Romulo
- 01 Aug 21:00 NORWAY/ STROMSGODSET, Auction for Ödegaard
- 01 Aug 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mission for Campbell
- 01 Aug 20:17 PARAGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Olimpia sign Acuña
- 01 Aug 19:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Contacts for Jesé Rodriguez
- 01 Aug 19:39 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV sign Lukovic
- 01 Aug 19:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Sandro
- 01 Aug 19:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL,Ochoa joins Malaga
- 01 Aug 18:44 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMTON, Koeman: "We are looking for the best for Osvaldo"
- 01 Aug 18:31 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Eyes on Cardozo
- 01 Aug 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, a season-long loan deal for Facundo Ferreyra
- 01 Aug 18:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Munari can move on loan to Watford
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 17:35 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Lica joins Rayo Vallecano
- 01 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hangeland joins Crystal Palace
- 01 Aug 17:13 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campell is part of my plans"
- 01 Aug 16:58 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Dier move agreed
- 01 Aug 16:50 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "It's a possibility that Vermaelen goes"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 16:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Mandanda
- 01 Aug 16:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, 15 million euros needed for purchasing Mustafi: Juventus, AC Milan and Wolfsburg await
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ultimate move for Moreno ready
- 01 Aug 15:45 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Duel to PSG for Cech
- 01 Aug 15:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Feddal about to be signed
- 01 Aug 15:15 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Luna more and more likely to join Italian side
- 01 Aug 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Willing to blaze Borussia on Kagawa: United's request
- 01 Aug 14:44 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Suggestion for Pinilla
- 01 Aug 14:30 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa, new effort for Niang: the alternative is Baptistao
- 01 Aug 14:13 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL, Milevsky joins Hajduk Spalato
- 01 Aug 14:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Cristian Zapata from AC Milan
- 01 Aug 13:45 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan Aké might be loaned out to Derby County
- 01 Aug 13:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Ultimate strain for signing Hummels
- 01 Aug 13:15 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Biabiany: Botta as a counterpart
- 01 Aug 13:02 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Seferovic joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 01 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Obinna set to join if Bianchi trade fails
- 01 Aug 12:54 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Puyol gives the jersey number 5 to Busquets
- 01 Aug 12:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ryo Miyaichi's future in jeopardy
- 01 Aug 12:31 ITALY/ JUVE, Thinking about Vlaar
- 01 Aug 12:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio: arrives Braafheid
- 01 Aug 12:15 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tiago Ilori might join on loan
- 01 Aug 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Duel to Juventus and AC Milan on Lavezzi
- 01 Aug 11:45 HUNGARY/ HALADAS, Two Italian and one Belgian suitors for Nemeth and Radò
- 01 Aug 11:30 MLS - USA/ CHICAGO FIRE, Approaching Jermaine Jones
- 01 Aug 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Quintero more and more likely to join
- 01 Aug 10:58 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I feel a lot of confidence and trust in me. I intend to repay it all"
- 01 Aug 10:38 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Samp: signed Bergessio from Catania
- 01 Aug 10:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Genoa: arrives Iago Falque from Tottenham
- 01 Aug 10:16 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Palermo, Hernandez's agent: thinking about Sunderland
- 01 Aug 10:06 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Porto's Juan Quintero will cost Gunners £32m
- 01 Aug 09:45 ITALY/ JUVE, Evra suggests Nani
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has reiterated Morgan Schneiderlin will not be leaving the club and has warned the midfielder of his conduct following his midweek outburst on Twitter. Koeman said: "He is a player of Southampton and will continue to be."
Interviewed by Sky, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus attacking midfielder Sebastian Giovinco, has declared: "I think that he will stay, even
Barcelona new midfielder Ivan Rakitic has declared about his team-mate Xavi: "It’s great news that he’s staying here. He’s a cl
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has declared: "The future, only god knows. There is competition here and I will continue to work hard
PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "I am happy in Paris. I have a contract to honor. I am calm, I prefer to stay. I feel well here. But I k