LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 27 Aug 08:39 WEST BROM. , Peace: "Berahino won't leave"
- 21 Aug 06:29 WATFORD, Sanchez Flores: "Soon a decision about Vydra"
- 20 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri's agent: "Inter? Nothing concrete"
- 19 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 14 Aug 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Obertan: "I want to stay"
- 13 Aug 19:29 ARSENAL, Wenger is unsure about Rosicky's absence
- 13 Aug 08:39 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "I want to stay"
- 12 Aug 18:10 ARSENAL, Rosicky out for up to two months
- 12 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "No news about his future"
- 11 Aug 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect Stones to stay"
- 10 Aug 11:40 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho struck from 25 yards out in the 86th minute to win
- 10 Aug 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Optimistic about Shaqiri"
- 09 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "I hope we'll announce a new signing soon"
- 08 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Benzema? Just media talk"
- 07 Aug 06:29 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "Happy with my team"
- 06 Aug 06:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "We are not after Coloccini"
- 05 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Great if Benzema would join us, but.."
- 04 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Soldado to Real? I can't confirm"
- 03 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Nothing true about Benzema"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 18 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "Many offers for him"
- 18 Jul 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are in talks for Filipe Luis"
- 17 Jul 06:59 MAN. UTD, Rooney: "Moving to the US? Could be..."
- 14 Jul 11:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Cech has lifted us"
- 14 Jul 10:37 LEICESTER CITY, Ranieri: "I wish to thank the owner, his son and all the executives of the Club"
- 13 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael's agent: "He could join Benfica"
- 10 Jul 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 09 Jul 06:29 ASTON VIllA, Richards: "Inter wanted me, but.."
- 08 Jul 06:29 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "I'm confident we'll make the right signings"
- 07 Jul 15:10 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why I love our overseas fans"
- 07 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Milner: "Great to be here"
- 06 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Relaxed about my future"
- 02 Jul 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Letting Cech leave was the right decision"
- 01 Jul 20:15 ARSENAL, Cech: "I’m sure I’ll settle quickly"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 29 Aug 02:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid sign Kranevitter.
- 29 Aug 01:30 FRANCE/ NANTES, Cana more and more likely to join
- 29 Aug 01:00 BREAKING NEWS - GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Done for Coman from Juventus: loan with 26 million euros option
- 28 Aug 22:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bentivoglio quits Chievo
- 28 Aug 22:29 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Idea Didavi
- 28 Aug 21:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Everton sign Leandro Rodriguez
- 28 Aug 21:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Thiago Motta renews with PSG
- 28 Aug 21:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Vangioni
- 28 Aug 20:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover sign Ballmert
- 28 Aug 20:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Verdù
- 28 Aug 19:59 GERMANY/ LEVERKUSEN, Keen on Soriano
- 28 Aug 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez about to renew
- 28 Aug 19:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico sign Santos Borré
- 28 Aug 19:02 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mauri to leave on loan: 4 Serie A suitors
- 28 Aug 18:49 ITALY/ GENOA, In talks with Zenit for Ansaldi
- 28 Aug 18:37 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Attempt for Keita ready
- 28 Aug 18:26 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Attempt for Klaassen: offer submitted to Ajax
- 28 Aug 18:18 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hojbjerg joins Schalke on loan form Bayern Munich
- 28 Aug 18:11 BIG, BIG TRADES - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Draxler: Wenger tries to hijack him from Juventus
- 28 Aug 17:59 BREAKING NEWS - RUSSIA/ RUBIN KAZAN, Livaja about to join back Italy
- 28 Aug 17:48 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, In touch with Marseille for yielding Zaza: West Ham still await
- 28 Aug 17:39 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Besiktas assault for Obi Mikel
- 28 Aug 17:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Serie A greenhorns Carpi sign Hiwat from PSV
- 28 Aug 17:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter working on Eder
- 28 Aug 17:14 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia sign Cedric Omoigui
- 28 Aug 17:06 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, St. Pauli sign Dudziak from Borussia Dortmund
- 28 Aug 16:53 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea confident in Real Madrid last-minute offer
- 28 Aug 16:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Olympique Marseille sign Norwegian youngster Haugan
- 28 Aug 16:31 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Almost done for Ramiro Funes Mori: 5 million pounds to River Plate
- 28 Aug 16:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto loan Ricardo Nunes out
- 28 Aug 16:04 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Kucka
- 28 Aug 15:59 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ljajic refuses West Ham after agreement between clubs
- 28 Aug 15:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Zuñiga about to join Galatasaray
- 28 Aug 15:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Rony Lopes from Manchester City
- 28 Aug 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Henrique offered to Flamengo for signing Samir
- 28 Aug 14:43 FRANCE/ PSG, Al-Khelaifi about Lavezzi transfer: "He has a deal with us"
- 28 Aug 14:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Tracking Higuain in January
- 28 Aug 14:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Astonishing offer from City for De Bruyne"
- 28 Aug 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham sign Heung-Min Son
- 28 Aug 13:44 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen sign Kampl
- 28 Aug 13:28 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Toivonen joins Sunderland in season-long loan
- 28 Aug 13:13 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marseille: Aloè on loan to Valenciennes
- 28 Aug 13:01 ITALY/ INTER, Started again Felipe Melo trade
- 28 Aug 12:43 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, £37m for John Stones
- 28 Aug 12:34 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Genoa confirmed the reject of Benfica for Cristante
- 28 Aug 12:29 ITALY/ JUVE, Chelsea won't give up for Pogba
- 28 Aug 12:29 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Joined the race to sign Draxler
- 28 Aug 12:13 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Still expect Borini to leave
- 28 Aug 11:59 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Fenerbahçe want Markovic
- 28 Aug 11:44 FRANCE/ OL, To challenge As Roma for Darder
After a quite long negotiation, Bayern Munich and Juventus agreed on French Under-21 international winger and half-forward Kingsley Coman's (19) move to German giants. Former Paris Saint-Germain youth player, whose signing will be announced today, is joining Bavaria
Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has told Mediaset: "Ibrahimovic? Fanciful idea, we admire him but I deny everything. It's not easy
Sevilla FC midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, considered a target for Arsenal, has declared on his Twitter: "In the next season I will still be at t
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "Signing a striker is like making love to a beautiful woman. It is never easy. There are alwa
Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasiljev has declared: "We have budgeted for the Europa League. So, if we had been in the Champions League, it would
Interviewed by TMW, Wolfsburg Sporting Director Klaus Allofs has declared about 26-year-old winger Ivan Perisic: "All seems leading to his stay a