LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 12 Aug 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Taarabt is not going to go cheap"
- 11 Aug 15:59 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Ready for title challenge"
- 11 Aug 06:15 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need a winger"
- 10 Aug 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin must honor his contract"
- 09 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We are after Rojo"
- 08 Aug 12:32 ARSENAL, get Besiktas in Champions League
- 08 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We want to feel that winning sensation soon again"
- 08 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We conceded too much goals to top teams last season"
- 07 Aug 15:12 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The new players are giving us an extra spring"
- 07 Aug 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "I hope to stay here for many more years in the future"
- 06 Aug 06:39 MAN. UTD, Hernandez's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Aug 19:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Sanchez is a fantastic player, we'll have a good understanding"
- 05 Aug 10:29 ARSENAL, Usmanov: "Gunners primed for new era of trophies and glory"
- 05 Aug 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "I hope to keep Vlaar"
- 04 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen could leave"
- 03 Aug 09:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Maybe we don't need other players"
- 02 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Wickham will either renew or leave"
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 22 Aug 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED: Welbeck can leave, but not for joining a Premier League Top 6
- 22 Aug 20:48 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suggestion for Romero
- 22 Aug 20:36 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, N'Diaye joins Real Betis again from Sunderland
- 22 Aug 20:24 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Pinto da Costa freezes AC Milan and AS Roma: "Jackson Martinez doesn't leave"
- 22 Aug 20:12 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for Insigne failed: Napoli reject offer
- 22 Aug 20:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Approaching Federico Fazio
- 22 Aug 19:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Suggestion for Xabi Alonso
- 22 Aug 19:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover 96 sign Briand
- 22 Aug 19:24 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Keen on Rhodes
- 22 Aug 19:12 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Neither Tottenham nor Juventus for Depay: renewal with PSV
- 22 Aug 19:00 BAYERN MUNICH & AS ROMA, Negotiations for Benatia ongoing: no call-up for AEK Athens friendly match
- 22 Aug 18:48 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Durmaz joins Olympiakos
- 22 Aug 18:36 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Lacazette after having signed Cerci
- 22 Aug 18:24 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Doors closed to Juventus on Jovetic
- 22 Aug 18:12 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 2 new rivals towards Stambouli: one tries the offer
- 22 Aug 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Fernando Torres offered to AC Milan
- 22 Aug 17:48 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Aboubakar more and more likely to join
- 22 Aug 17:36 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA sign Samaras
- 22 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, A new Serie A top suitor for Podolski
- 22 Aug 17:07 ITALY/ ATALANTA, 2 Serie A pursuers for Consigli
- 22 Aug 16:52 ITALY/ PARMA, 2 new suitors for Paletta
- 22 Aug 16:33 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Plasil might join Italy back: 2 new suitors
- 22 Aug 16:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I don't speak until he signs"
- 22 Aug 16:08 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Arda Turan: "I'd like to play with Barça "
- 22 Aug 15:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Deportivo: Rudy leaves
- 22 Aug 15:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi: "Di Maria to Barcelona would be difficult"
- 22 Aug 15:14 FRANCE/ LILLE, Wolfsburg interested in Kalou
- 22 Aug 14:59 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin rumour has gone away"
- 22 Aug 14:55 ENGLAND, Rio Ferdinand dreams of managing England NT
- 22 Aug 14:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Besiktas interested in Quintero
- 22 Aug 14:38 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "I am very pleased because Edin renewal"
- 22 Aug 14:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swansea: sign Tom Carroll
- 22 Aug 13:06 HUNGARY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio icon Rocchi joins Haladas
- 22 Aug 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Observing Mitrovic
- 22 Aug 11:46 SPAIN/ BARCELLONA, Neymar in doubt for the first match
- 22 Aug 11:35 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Iturraspe for replace Javi Martinez
- 22 Aug 11:23 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sapunaru quits Elche
- 22 Aug 11:14 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Lead the race to sign Di Maria
- 22 Aug 10:29 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Gustavo Campanharo about to be announced
- 22 Aug 09:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Pirlo: "Balotelli no longer a bad boy "
- 22 Aug 09:36 ENGLAN/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "I have no regret about not re-signing Fabregas"
- 22 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Onazi could renew
- 22 Aug 08:45 FRANCE/ MONACO, Alderweireld about to join
- 22 Aug 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Interest for Lucas Leiva
- 22 Aug 08:15 SPAIN/ DEPORTIVO, Still keen on Mitroglou
- 22 Aug 08:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Medicals for Balotelli
- 22 Aug 07:40 ITALY/ ROMA, Eyes on Luiz Adriano
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 22 Aug 06:57 PSG, Blanc: "Rabiot could leave"
- 22 Aug 06:39 SCHALKE, Heldt: "No more signings"
While Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal has referred to English international forward and winger Danny Welbeck (23) he can leave Red Devils, according to Daily Mirror, the club executives have clarified it can happen just if the player joins any club out of the Premier Lea
Interviewed by France Football, Mino Raiola, agent of Juventus 21-year-old midfielder Paul Pogba, has declared about the possibility for his client to
Valencia General Manager Rufete has declared about Benfica midfielder Enzo Perez: "He is a great player, but it's not only up to us. He would
West Bromwich manager Alan Irvine has declared about 29-year-old striker Georgios Samaras, actually a free-agent: "He's a player we're aw
Interviewed by ESPN, PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has declared about the possibility to end his career at the French club: "I have a contract u
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr