LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 13 Oct 13:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Welbeck targets January return for Gunners
- 12 Oct 06:00 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I've never been in trouble as I am now, but I'm not worried"
- 08 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho's agent: "I'm not in talks with Real Madrid"
- 07 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri: "I don't think I'll move back to France"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I don't need a new contract to be motivated"
- 05 Oct 13:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "Alexis' energy is so important"
- 03 Oct 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "In Spain, Barça would be my only choice"
- 02 Oct 15:57 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I talked with my players about what we failed against Porto. Amelia? He can be the right guy for us"
- 02 Oct 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I'd like to work for Wenger"
- 01 Oct 11:30 CHELSEA, Diego Costa after Porto failure: "We need to regain our confidence"
- 29 Sep 20:19 MANCHESTER UNITED, Schweinsteiger keen to mentor Depay and Martial
- 29 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "We have to impose ourselves"
- 29 Sep 18:37 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Olympiakos? I remember my 2011 goal against them..."
- 29 Sep 17:46 BOURNEMOUTH, Long-term injury for Callum Wilson: 6 months out
- 29 Sep 14:14 CHAMPIONS, Porto - Chelsea: Possible lineups
- 29 Sep 14:09 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick: it will be a tough game against Wolfsburg"
- 29 Sep 13:59 CHAMPIONS, Arsenal - Olympiacos Possible lineups Outside chance of Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta appearing
- 29 Sep 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I thought Martial was not for sale"
- 28 Sep 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "There's a group of people that don't want me here"
- 25 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND, Gerrard: “Mourinho is one of the best”
- 24 Sep 14:17 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Happy to have defeated Birmingham, especially for our fans"
- 23 Sep 08:19 WEST HAM, Pulis: "I don't know if we'll sign Vaz Tê"
- 22 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Bellerín: "A move to Liga? No way, I'm staying with Gunners"
- 21 Sep 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "I'm happy here"
- 18 Sep 13:00 CHELSEA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - One ex for every London side
- 18 Sep 07:57 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "He's happy here"
- 18 Sep 06:00 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "It's not been easy against Qarabag. Happy for Sonny"
- 18 Sep 00:59 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - DINAMO ZAGREB (Group F), former stars Modric and Kovacic: "Excited for the guys' victory over Arsenal"
- 17 Sep 17:27 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - MACCABI TEL AVIV (Group G), Jokanovic: "Chelsea played at their highest level, we're working to be more competitive"
- 17 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL, Wilshere will undergo surgery again
- 17 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - CHELSEA (Group G), Mourinho: "Winning after a long time gave us a very good feeling"
- 17 Sep 00:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ARSENAL (Group F), Wenger on Zagreb failure: "We were a bit unlucky. Giroud didn't deserve to get a red card"
- 16 Sep 19:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Kompany: "There was actually nothing wrong with our performance"
- 16 Sep 16:03 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - PSV (Group B), Cocu on victory over United: "We showed anything can be achieved, if you believe in your goals"
- 16 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Funes Mori: "I was about to join Chelsea"
- 16 Sep 01:21 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B), Van Gaal after Dutch disaster: "Shaw was crying in the dressing room"
- 15 Sep 23:42 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER CITY (Group D), Touré after Juventus failure: "Now we need to be strong and bounce back"
- 15 Sep 16:08 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - PSV EINDHOVEN v MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B): Depay faces his own past
- 14 Sep 08:57 CHELSEA, Matic after Goodison Park failure: "I really don't know what happened. Now let's win against Maccabi and Arsenal"
- 13 Sep 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal might even renew
- 12 Sep 20:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA 3-1, Matchbox: Ross Barkley got the game for Toffees
- 12 Sep 15:00 SUNDERLAND v TOTTENHAM, Special Preview - Lloris: "We need to find confidence"
- 12 Sep 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on De Gea's renewal: "I'm delighted, he's one of the best in the world"
- 11 Sep 16:23 MANCHESTER UNITED v LIVERPOOL, Special Preview - Mata: "Playing against Reds is always special. Our fans are thankful from my goals from last season"
- 11 Sep 15:47 WEST HAM v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Ogbonna: "Still celebrating victory over Liverpool, and we are really focused on Magpies"
- 11 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL v STOKE CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere not available tomorrow"
- 11 Sep 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Training the Dutch NT? Not now"
- 10 Sep 17:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA, Preview - Blues wait for Courtois' medical results in anxiety
- 10 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign free agents"
- 09 Sep 12:14 ARSENAL, Optimism regarding Welbeck
- 09 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Romero: "Van Gaal is trusting me"
- 08 Sep 17:40 ARSENAL, Coquelin: "Both first squad and loans are valid experience for a young player"
- 08 Sep 11:09 MANCHESTER UTD, Romero: "Playing for United is a dream"
- 07 Sep 16:45 WEST HAM, Randolph: "No one thought we would have won against Liverpool"
- 07 Sep 16:00 SWANSEA CITY, Ashley Williams on Wales' almost obtained accomplishment: "We are ready for one of the most important games in our careers"
- 07 Sep 14:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata's letter to Red Devils from Spanish NT campaign
- 07 Sep 13:00 WBA, Pulis: "Berahino will play"
- 07 Sep 11:59 ARSENAL, Monreal: "A period of transition for Spanish NT, after an incredibile generation"
- 04 Sep 15:53 ARSENAL, Nacho: "How English football changed me"
- 04 Sep 09:43 ARSENAL, Welbeck shock: out 4 months
- 04 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, De Bruyne's agent: "He was about to join Bayern"
- 03 Sep 17:59 ARSENAL, Walcott: "I want to play as a striker"
- 03 Sep 06:29 WATFORD, Diamanti: "Fiorentina were not interested in keeping me"
- 02 Sep 14:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Answer to Real Madrid on De Gea-related mishap
- 02 Sep 08:30 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "Never received an offer from WBA"
- 31 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Wanyama and Mane will stay"
- 30 Aug 10:59 MAN. CITY, Kompany welcomes De Bruyne
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 27 Aug 08:39 WEST BROM. , Peace: "Berahino won't leave"
- 21 Aug 06:29 WATFORD, Sanchez Flores: "Soon a decision about Vydra"
- 20 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri's agent: "Inter? Nothing concrete"
- 19 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 14 Aug 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Obertan: "I want to stay"
- 13 Aug 19:29 ARSENAL, Wenger is unsure about Rosicky's absence
- 13 Aug 08:39 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "I want to stay"
- 12 Aug 18:10 ARSENAL, Rosicky out for up to two months
- 12 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "No news about his future"
- 11 Aug 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect Stones to stay"
- 10 Aug 11:40 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho struck from 25 yards out in the 86th minute to win
- 10 Aug 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Optimistic about Shaqiri"
- 09 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "I hope we'll announce a new signing soon"
- 08 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Benzema? Just media talk"
- 07 Aug 06:29 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "Happy with my team"
- 06 Aug 06:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "We are not after Coloccini"
- 05 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Great if Benzema would join us, but.."
- 04 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Soldado to Real? I can't confirm"
- 03 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Nothing true about Benzema"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 13 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Toulouse sign Machach on his first pro contract
- 13 Oct 22:29 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Fabián Castillo on target
- 13 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, José Mauri's agent: "He might leave in January"
- 13 Oct 21:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Back for Nagatomo in January
- 13 Oct 21:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, Several surveys on Moses Simon
- 13 Oct 20:37 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, 4 million euros ready to land Zeca
- 13 Oct 20:17 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Move for getting Campbell from Arsenal is ready
- 13 Oct 19:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rigoni renews for Chievo Verona
- 13 Oct 19:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Callejon's agent: "He wants to stay at Napoli, Sarri put a spell on him"
- 13 Oct 19:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina scouting young Malian Diaby
- 13 Oct 19:00 LONDON CALLING - WEST HAM & WATFORD, Winter duel for Lulic
- 13 Oct 18:37 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuñiga more and more likely to leave in January
- 13 Oct 18:17 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Allardyce wants Nolan back
- 13 Oct 17:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Duel to AC Milan and Napoli on Soriano
- 13 Oct 17:39 ENGLAND/ WBA, Pulis wants Camacho
- 13 Oct 17:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Everton in touch with Betis for Piccini
- 13 Oct 17:00 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Kokorin's agent: "The club would have told us about Arsenal interest"
- 13 Oct 16:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Allan resigns from Guarani
- 13 Oct 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Maxi Lopez meets Torino soon for long-term renewal chance
- 13 Oct 14:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Away form tests your character"
- 13 Oct 13:58 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sakho in As Roma link
- 13 Oct 13:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Kokorin’s agent Cyril Loginov : "Chance to move and not just to Arsenal"
- 13 Oct 13:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Welbeck targets January return for Gunners
- 13 Oct 13:04 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar: "Of course I want new Barcelona deal"
- 13 Oct 12:49 ENGLAND/ MOTHERWELL, McGheeprime candidate to become new coach
- 13 Oct 12:46 ITALY, Chelsea and PSG are keeping an eye on Antonio Conte
- 13 Oct 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Besiktas confirmed they will make another attempt to sign Mikel
- 13 Oct 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Josè watches Yarmolenko
- 13 Oct 10:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, will try to sign Victor Valdes
- 13 Oct 10:14 ITALY/ NAPOLI, United and PSG observing Jorginho
- 13 Oct 10:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Dembele to Napoli?
- 13 Oct 09:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, £130,000 a week for Sanchez
- 12 Oct 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Eyes on Bernardo Silva: AS Monaco request
- 12 Oct 18:30 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, Renewal offer submitted to Iñigo Martinez
- 12 Oct 18:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Marquinho's might be next winter maxi-trade: Barça and Chelsea ready to be cash-drained
- 12 Oct 17:27 ITALY/ GENOA, Duel to Inter and Juventus on Sensi
- 12 Oct 16:57 BULGARIA/ BOTEV PLOVDIV, 3 Serie A clubs keen on defensive rising star Gamakov
- 12 Oct 16:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norwich loan Bennett out to Bristol
- 12 Oct 15:59 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Sabatini building bridges for Feghouli
- 12 Oct 15:30 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Ionov might leave in January
- 12 Oct 15:00 MALAYSIA/ PAHANG FA, Offer for Ronaldinho
- 12 Oct 14:36 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Competition with Barcelona for Gundogan
- 12 Oct 14:27 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Missiroli's long-term renewal on arrival
- 12 Oct 13:57 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Häcken sign Schüller
- 12 Oct 13:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bologna target Asprilla
- 12 Oct 12:59 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Survey on Samaras
- 12 Oct 12:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Valencia interest on Honda decreasing
- 12 Oct 12:00 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV extend Jozefzoon's contract
- 12 Oct 11:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Jorginho about to renew long-term
- 12 Oct 10:57 ARSENAL & LAZIO, Possible duel for Yarmolenko
As confirmed by both English and Turkish sources, Galatasaray top brass are determined to sign Costarican international forward Joel Campbell (23), who, being currently on a deal with Arsenal until June 2016 and not included in Arsène Wenger's plans, is likely to leave
Here's the official note on Spanish international striker Alvaro Morata's condition, reported on Juventus website:
"The Juventus forwa
Barcelona forward Neymar has said there is no question he wants to agree a new contract with the Liga champions.
The club's technical secretary
Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck hopes to be back in action in January after missing the whole of the season so far through injury.
The former Manches
According to Le Parisien, Brazilian star defensive player David Luiz, due to his left knee injury, will miss both Champions League Matchday 3 and 4 ga
As confirmed by Borussia Monchengladbach team doctor, Stefan Hertl, Die Fohlen front-line star Patrick Herrmann is suffering from a left knee rea