LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerìn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, It’s 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 07 Feb 12:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "If you love football, you love Rosicky"
- 07 Feb 06:59 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "A bit frustrated about the transfer market"
- 06 Feb 18:43 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "There will be a special atmosphere. We'll have to be cautious defense-wise"
- 06 Feb 16:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Welbeck is back. Bielik? He's coming very well"
- 06 Feb 15:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Koscielny: "Bellerin and Coquelin will help us a lot, they are ready"
- 06 Feb 06:19 LEICESTER, Pearson: "Quite happy with the transfer market"
- 05 Feb 20:30 BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL, Possible new smoke-related crisis for Wilshere
- 05 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "There's a great goalkeeping tradition in Colombia. I've been always dreaming of Premier League"
- 05 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Sanchez injured: no city derby against Tottenham for Chilean star
- 05 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Happy that I didn't join West Ham"
- 04 Feb 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Leaving is the best solution"
- 03 Feb 17:39 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Gilberto is a mirror for me"
- 03 Feb 11:09 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "I’m going to be part of such a big club"
- 02 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Drogba: "I will play here in the next season"
- 02 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 06 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He could stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 23:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Fernandes joins Atletico PR
- 05 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Chance for Sabella
- 05 Mar 22:59 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Llorente to replace Bacca
- 05 Mar 22:39 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Keen on Remy
- 05 Mar 22:20 ITALY/ PALERMO, Still keen on Bardi
- 05 Mar 22:00 SWOTZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hoarau renews with Young Boys
- 05 Mar 21:45 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Osvaldo
- 05 Mar 21:30 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Munteanu is Astra new coach
- 05 Mar 21:14 ITALY/ JUVE, Pogba's agent: "Everything depends on what Paul himself and club want"
- 05 Mar 21:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Nastasic's permanent deal at Schalke
- 05 Mar 20:42 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Lost Neto there is a deal for Sportiello
- 05 Mar 20:31 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Scholes: "Giggs won't be a number two for that long"
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 20:00 O.L., Lacazette: "Lyon may sell for right price"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 19:29 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli posts 'someone doesn't like me'
- 05 Mar 19:10 ENGLAND/ MIDDLESBROUGH, Bamford dismisses claims he has no future at Chelsea
- 05 Mar 18:59 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, No Pjanic at Anfield
- 05 Mar 18:44 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Albertazzi: "I'm doing well, I've started running again"
- 05 Mar 18:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri might leave for joining MLS
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 05 Mar 17:59 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Barcelona and United still interested in Danilo
- 05 Mar 17:44 ITALY/ ROMA, Keita about the renewal "No news"
- 05 Mar 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Podolski's agent: "In the summer he can come back to Arsenal"
- 05 Mar 17:12 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Landing Manea
- 05 Mar 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Callejon
- 05 Mar 16:45 PARAGUAY/ CERRO PORTEÑO, Tons of European suitors for young sensation Sergio Diaz
- 05 Mar 16:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Upamecano
- 05 Mar 16:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Reid on super-long term renewal
- 05 Mar 16:01 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG: Duel to Arsenal, Southampton and Tottenham on Umtiti
- 05 Mar 15:30 SENEGAL/ OFFICIAL, Aliou Cissé is the new NT trainer
- 05 Mar 15:00 ITALY/ INTER, German youngster Kehrer about to join from Schalke
- 05 Mar 14:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mallorca sign Riera
- 05 Mar 13:57 FRANCE/ VALENCIENNES, A Premier League suitor for Fulgini
- 05 Mar 13:29 GERMANY/ FC NURNBERG, Mohwald set to join
- 05 Mar 12:59 SPAIN/ RAYO VALLECANO, 3 suitors for Bueno
- 05 Mar 12:30 NORWAY/ MOLDE, Approaching Bakenga
- 05 Mar 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Guruceaga
- 05 Mar 11:27 ITALY/ PALERMO, Confirms on Defrel being on target
- 05 Mar 10:57 ITALY/ PARMA, Cebolla Rodriguez: "I'll join Brazil or USA soon"
- 05 Mar 10:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Vitiello extends for Palermo
- 05 Mar 09:59 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Test period for a Polish talent
- 05 Mar 09:30 LAZIO & PALERMO, Eyes on Mariga
- 05 Mar 09:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Kehli renews with Metz
- 05 Mar 08:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Also Savic on the wishlist
- 05 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Idea Viviani
- 05 Mar 08:15 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Petrolul sign Tchité
- 05 Mar 08:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Lead on Valdifiori
- 05 Mar 07:40 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco da Gama sign Dagoberto
Mino Raiola has insisted Paris Saint-Germain are an attractive club for Paul Pogba, but admits the midfielder could remain at Juventus for at least another season.
The 21-year-old is one of the most coveted players in Europe at the moment, with PSG, Real Madrid and Manche
Interviewed by RMC, Mino Raiola, agent of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, has declared: "He has renewed with Juve, and not many clubs can afford
Kroos has revealed that the presence of Carlo Ancelotti was one of the main reasons behind his decision to leave Bayern Munich for Real Madrid ahead o
Gilberto Silva says Alexis is "a nightmare" for defenders and a huge asset to Arsenal.
The Gunners bought the Chile forward from Barcelon
O. Lyonnais forward Alexandre Lacazette believes club will happily cash in on him at the end of the season if the right offer comes along.
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared: "I will remain here for a long time, because I am very happy at Bayern. I want to honor my contra