LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 14.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 02 May 17:47 ARSENAL, Wenger: "How Santi has surprised me"
- 02 May 06:19 READING, Pogrebnyak's agent: "He wants to remain in England"
- 01 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tevez: "Back to Boca? If iy was up to me.."
- 30 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Bale: "Real Madrid? Just speculations"
- 29 Apr 11:17 ARSENAL, Wenger: "There's no margin for error now"
- 29 Apr 06:19 FULHAM, Jol: "Emanuelson wants to move back to AC Milan"
- 28 Apr 06:57 CHELSEA, Terry: "If I won't extend I will leave England"
- 27 Apr 06:57 MAN. CITY, Clichy: "I would like to extend"
- 20 May 12:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas wants Moutinho
- 20 May 12:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "This is a very special group"
- 20 May 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Stramaccioni: "Future? All in the head and words of our president"
- 20 May 11:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ready the offer for Danny Rose
- 20 May 11:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Allegri: "Third place has always been the minimum objective"
- 20 May 11:16 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Galliani: "Hopefully we will continue with him"
- 20 May 11:03 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Thinking about Odemwingie
- 20 May 10:43 ENGLAND/ QPR, Redknapp:"I don't want people coming in late"
- 20 May 10:31 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Lambert in talks with Benteke
- 20 May 10:13 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Simpson set to leave Toon
- 20 May 10:03 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bendtner underwent an operation
- 20 May 09:37 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ferreira quits Sporting Lisbona
- 20 May 09:36 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM , Medical test today for Rat
- 20 May 09:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Burnley: heaton signs in
- 20 May 09:01 INTER, Nagatomo: "My knee? I chose not to have an operation because..."
- 20 May 08:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Ready 25 mlns for the back line
- 20 May 08:30 ITALY/ INTER, Juan Jesus: "All sorts happened this year, focused on starting afresh""
- 20 May 07:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bendtner will undergo surgery
- 20 May 06:45 PSG, Al Khelaifi: "Ancelotti wants to leave, but he has a contract.."
- 20 May 06:30 LEVERKUSEN, Schürrle: "In Hamburg it was my last game with Bayer"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 20 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Everybody would like to have Neymar"
- 20 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Abbiati: "I have extended my contract"
- 19 May 23:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mazzarri quits Napoli
- 19 May 22:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA FC, Kondogbia offered to PSG
- 19 May 22:27 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Sprint for Poli
- 19 May 21:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Meeting with Cassano's agent
- 19 May 21:29 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Jovetic won't leave for less than 30 millions
- 19 May 21:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Idea Luis Enrique for the bench
- 19 May 20:30 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Barcelona's offer for Neymar refused
- 19 May 19:57 FRANCE/ SAINT-ETIENNE, Also two German clubs after Aubameyang
- 19 May 19:27 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New attempt for Kolarov soon
- 19 May 18:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to sign
- 19 May 18:29 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hertha sign Hosogai
- 19 May 18:00 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Interest for Felipe Melo
- 19 May 17:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Keen on Lamela
- 19 May 16:57 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Mattheus about to extend
- 19 May 16:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT BRAUNSCHWEIG, Caligiuri likely to join
- 19 May 15:59 SPAIN/ BETIS, Keen on Dos Santos
- 19 May 15:29 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Also AC Milan after Pjanić
- 19 May 15:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Fürth sign Brosinski
- 19 May 14:30 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Scarione gets farther
- 19 May 13:57 FRANCE/ LENS, Two clubs after Touzghar
- 19 May 13:27 GERMANY/ WERDER, Matthäus the main option for the bench
- 19 May 12:59 FRANCE/ OL, Eyes on Mendy
- 19 May 12:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Still keen on Marquinhos
- 19 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Clichy extends with Manchester City
- 19 May 11:30 BRAZIL/ CORINTHIANS, Also Shakhtar after Paulinho
- 19 May 10:57 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, 20 millions for Guarin
- 19 May 10:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Diallo extends with Rennes
"I think that once we were out of the running for Europe all we could do was hope to finish the year as best as possible. We can't be judged today. We were missing too many players, especially in central defence, and after ten minutes Udinese had taken full...
Yuto Nagatomo spoke to Japanese reporters after the game against Udinese. "We've had so many injuries this season, both the team...
As reported by El Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova has declared about Santos 21 year old striker Neymar: "I don't know...
Interviewed by Telefoot, Manchester City 25 year old attacking midfielder Samir Nasri has declared: "Next year I will stil be in...
Hamburg Sports Director Frank Arnesen has declared about 20 year old forward Son Heung-Min: "I think that he will remain with us. For...
Interviewed by Bein Sport, PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi has declared: "I have talked to Ancelotti, who has told me that he wants to...