LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 20.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Other news Premier League (England)
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "Itís so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I canít remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave BarÁa for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "LŲw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 17 May 13:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Flamini: "We need to win for building a mentality and for the fans"
- 17 May 08:29 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Monaco? I have a contract"
- 16 May 13:45 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Winning FA Cup can give us big boost. Fans have been amazing"
- 29 Jul 16:44 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham: Valencia granted work permit
- 29 Jul 16:42 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter: appoint Dan Chard as Director of Global Partnerships
- 29 Jul 15:51 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Griezmann joins Atletico Madrid
- 29 Jul 15:42 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover: annual extension for Almer
- 29 Jul 15:33 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Genk axe Ferrera
- 29 Jul 15:24 FRANCE/ PSG, Offering Verratti and money to sign Di Maria
- 29 Jul 15:13 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cech can join PSG
- 29 Jul 15:04 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Paul Lambert wants to sign Chelsea winger Moses
- 29 Jul 14:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Vertonghen plays down exit talks
- 29 Jul 14:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, closing in on the double signing of Southampton
- 29 Jul 14:20 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sturridge: "I'm ready to replace Suarez"
- 29 Jul 14:11 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Fellaini faces exit as Napoli eye loan deal
- 29 Jul 14:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Toulose sign Matheus
- 29 Jul 13:50 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht Frankfurt: arrives Valdez
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 13:32 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Kagawa free to join Borussia Dortmund
- 29 Jul 13:23 ITALY/ ROMA, Benatia observed by Real Madrid
- 29 Jul 13:14 AC MILAN & ARSENAL, Coming to terms on Joel Campbell
- 29 Jul 13:05 ENGLAND/ WIGAN, Survey on Yuji Ono
- 29 Jul 12:56 ITALY/ AS ROMA, New Serie A low ranking loan experience for Sanabria in thw viewfinder
- 29 Jul 12:47 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Planning majestic move for Di Maria
- 29 Jul 12:38 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Keen on Mbaye
- 29 Jul 12:29 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Defining details for Mangala
- 29 Jul 12:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Stall on Cerci
- 29 Jul 12:11 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Attempt for Dzemaili started
- 29 Jul 12:02 ITALY/ TORINO, Lead on Faraoni
- 29 Jul 11:54 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Douglas Costa getting nearer and nearer
- 29 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ INTER, The day might be right for signing Osvaldo
- 29 Jul 11:36 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Ravel Morrison more and more likely to leave
- 29 Jul 11:27 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Vidal's agent meets Bianconeri chief Marotta: United awaiting
- 29 Jul 11:18 ITALY/ CESENA, Approaching Brienza
- 29 Jul 11:09 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more suitor for Niang
- 29 Jul 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sanogo more and more likely to leave on loan
- 29 Jul 10:42 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Pursue for Micah Richards' loan
- 29 Jul 10:33 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Still negotiating with Bendtner
- 29 Jul 10:24 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Denials on meeting with Fellaini
- 29 Jul 10:22 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Giroud can extend
- 29 Jul 10:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Almunia meets Cagliari in the afternoon
- 29 Jul 10:00 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro waiting for Atletico
- 29 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, City sign Dilrosun
- 29 Jul 09:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Oumar Niasse joins Lokomotiv Moscow
- 29 Jul 09:15 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Ronaldinho quits Atletico Mineiro
- 29 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Zaccardo
- 29 Jul 08:45 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, Seferovic towards Germany
- 29 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Kurtic about to join
- 29 Jul 08:15 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Gekas back to Akhisar
- 29 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo always closer
- 29 Jul 07:40 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Keen on Robinho
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 29 Jul 06:57 PSG, Verratti's agent: "He won't leave PSG"
West Ham United are delighted to announce that Enner Valencia has been granted a work permit following a hearing at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday. Valencia agreed to join the Hammers from Mexican side Pachuca earlier this month after a stellar performance in the FIFA World Cup,
Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared about 27-year-old winger Alessio Cerci: "There have been no contacts with Milan. Will he stay? It depe
Interviewed by SFC Radio, Sevilla FC Sports Director Ramon Rodriguez "Monchi" has declared about 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca: "The
In the press conference, Manchester United's coach, Louis van Gaal, has spoken about Red Devils market transfer. "I don't sign players on
Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has told Sportitalia: "There are no doubts about it, his future is at PSG".