LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 20.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 Jul 21:00 GERMANY/ WOLSFBURG, Keen on Mustafi
- 25 Jul 20:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Medicals for Lovren
- 25 Jul 20:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Salvatore Masiello joins Torino back
- 25 Jul 20:15 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Double assault on Celtic: Forster and Van Dijk on target
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 19:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa meeting scheduled and a new suitor for Campagnaro
- 25 Jul 19:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Cassani already training with the squad. Just the announcement lacking
- 25 Jul 19:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Serie A suitors for Rafael Marquez
- 25 Jul 18:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "Kurt wants Bayern Munich, but..."
- 25 Jul 18:42 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Besic touring with Toffees in Thailand: deal is close
- 25 Jul 18:26 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Vidal is not for sale"
- 25 Jul 18:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Drogba joins Chelsea back
- 25 Jul 18:14 ITALY/ PALERMO, Rolin as a main target
- 25 Jul 17:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Victor Valdes
- 25 Jul 17:44 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Never talked about Eto'o"
- 25 Jul 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Icardi's agent: "No contacts with Monaco"
- 25 Jul 17:15 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Andres Fernandez about to join
- 25 Jul 16:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Still aiming to sign Joel Campbell from Arsenal
- 25 Jul 16:50 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Monaco: arrives Bakayoko
- 25 Jul 16:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Nené joins Hellas Verona
- 25 Jul 16:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Medicals for Bebé
- 25 Jul 16:09 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR, Facundo Ferreyra returns
- 25 Jul 15:29 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Trading with Chelsea for Marin
- 25 Jul 15:14 BRAZI/ OFFICIAL, Allione join Palmeiras
- 25 Jul 14:49 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Juventus sign Pereyra
- 25 Jul 14:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Carroll set for four-month lay-off
- 25 Jul 14:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan, arrives Forte
- 25 Jul 14:15 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Jackson Martinez: "I can't say where I'd like to go"
- 25 Jul 14:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, agreement for Perez
- 25 Jul 11:58 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Gerrard deal expected
- 25 Jul 11:42 INTER, Nike unveil new away kit for 2014/15
- 25 Jul 11:14 ENGLAND/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - WBA: medicals for Cristian Gamboa
- 25 Jul 10:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Working for Origi
- 25 Jul 10:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, five-year deal for Casillas
- 25 Jul 10:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montpellier sign Deza on permanent basis
- 25 Jul 10:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Sprint for Kurtic
- 25 Jul 10:00 FRANCE/ STRABOURG, Agreement for Bahoken
- 25 Jul 09:40 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Chiellini likely to renew
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jul 08:57 PSG, Blanc: "Conte? My suitcases aren't ready"
- 25 Jul 08:39 BAYERN, Shaqiri turns out transfer rumors
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 25 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 25 Jul 01:37 FRANCE/ PSG, Di Maria could replace Lavezzi
- 25 Jul 01:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zaccardo will stay
- 25 Jul 00:59 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Sprint for Behrami
- 25 Jul 00:39 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Idea Viviano
- 25 Jul 00:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on Nani
- 25 Jul 00:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Fernando
As reported in UK news, Croatian international centre-back Dejna Lovren (25) has decided to join Liverpool, and will attend medical checks for Reds just tomorrow. Former Olympique Lyon player leaves therefore Southampton, which will cash about 18 million pounds, after having paid
For the 2014/15 season Inter will play in a new away kit boldly proclaiming their status as the true team of Milan. The new away shirt has a ribbed cr
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has declared: "We can't talk about Torres. He's in another team, at the moment very well, we&
Commenting upon Didier Drogba's return to Chelsea after 2 seasons, Blues manager José Mourinho, through the pages of London side official w
PSG coach Jean-Claude Blanc has declared: "Conte? My suitcases aren't ready. In this line of work, you don't even have the time to unp