LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 May 06:19 MAN. UTD, Moyes: "Happy that Ferdinand has extended"
- 23 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Suarez won't move"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 02 May 17:47 ARSENAL, Wenger: "How Santi has surprised me"
- 24 May 07:17 CAMEROON/ OFFICIAL, Finke is the new NT coach
- 24 May 06:57 OM, Gignac: "I don't see why I should leave"
- 24 May 06:39 BAYERN, Dante: "Against Borussia the most important game of my career"
- 24 May 06:19 MAN. UTD, Moyes: "Happy that Ferdinand has extended"
- 24 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I will remain here"
- 24 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Borja Valero's agent: "No chances for him to leave"
- 23 May 23:37 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Brazilian duel for Gago
- 23 May 23:17 FRANCE/ MONACO, Keen on Muslera
- 23 May 22:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Also PSG after Fabregas
- 23 May 22:39 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Coentrão will be Mourinho's first signing
- 23 May 22:20 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Shipitsin extends with Krasnodar
- 23 May 22:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Sprint for Ilori
- 23 May 21:37 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Agreement wuth Bakar
- 23 May 21:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Nyom extends with Udinese
- 23 May 20:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Also Kompany on the wishlist
- 23 May 20:39 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Keen on Zapata
- 23 May 20:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Hilton extends with Montpellier
- 23 May 20:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Interest for Astori
- 23 May 19:37 ITALY/ LAZIO, Biglia gets father
- 23 May 19:17 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Martino the main option for the bench
- 23 May 18:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribéry should extend after the CL final
- 23 May 18:39 UAE/ AL-AHLI, Hugo Viana about to sign
- 23 May 18:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Interest for Suarez
- 23 May 18:00 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Mission for Lisandro Lopez
- 23 May 17:37 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Idea Djukic for the bench
- 23 May 17:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Pandev refuses to join Monaco
- 23 May 16:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Marquinhos the main traget for the defense
- 23 May 16:39 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Tevez
- 23 May 16:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti wants Cavani
- 23 May 16:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL,Andujar extends with Catania
- 23 May 15:37 ARGENTINA/ SAN LORENZO, Coloccini could join
- 23 May 15:17 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Chedjou about to join
- 23 May 14:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rio Ferdinand extends with United
- 23 May 14:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Zapata on permanent deal
- 23 May 14:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Future in the States for Ibra ?
- 23 May 14:00 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Baptista toward Brazil
- 23 May 13:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Criscito
- 23 May 13:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez wants to leave
- 23 May 12:59 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Werder sign Petersen on permanent deal
- 23 May 12:39 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, FC Porto sign Carlos Eduardo
- 23 May 12:20 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Interest for Papastathopoulos
- 23 May 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Meeting with Blanc
- 23 May 11:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Vermaelen
- 23 May 11:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Super offer to Bianchi
- 23 May 11:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, The plan for Jovetic
- 23 May 11:00 BAYERN & MAN. UNITED, 18 million euros needed for Thiago Alcantara
- 23 May 10:50 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Nico Lopez set ot leave on loan
- 23 May 10:40 ITALY/ UDINESE, Allan's agent: "Zenit will negotiate for signing him"
- 23 May 10:30 PORTO & AS MONACO, Negotiating for Moutinho's transfer
- 23 May 10:20 PERU/ ALIANZA LIMA, Reyna's agent: "Who wouldn't want to play in Bundesliga"
As reported by Sky Sports UK, Alejandro Camano, agent of Fiorentina 28 year old midfielder Borja Valero, has declared: "I know nothing about the Real Madrid interest as well as the other clubs' ones. No one got in touch with me. Borja Valero has had a great...
As reported by Sky Sports UK, Alejandro Camano, agent of Fiorentina 28 year old midfielder Borja Valero, has declared: "I know nothing...
As reported by Le10Sport, Barcelona 30 year old right back Dani Alves, has declared: "I am intentioned to remain at Barcelona. I want to...
Through his club's official website, Manchester United manager David Moyes has declared about 34 year old defender Rio Ferdinand: "It...
Bayern Munich 29 year old defender Dante has declared about next Saturday's Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund: "I...
OM striker Andre-Perre Gignac has declared: "I don't see why I should leave and where I could find a better place in France. I am sure...