REAL MADRID, Albiol: "I'm really excited and want to stay"
07.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
Raúl Albiol isn't hiding the happiness which he has been overcome by after his contract with Real Madrid was extended until 2017. The only thing on the mind of the Real Madrid defender, who kicked off the season by playing against Los Angeles Galaxy, is to reciprocate, on the pitch, the trust shown by the club, Mourinho and the fans: "I'm really excited and want to stay on at Real Madrid. The club and its coaching staff trust in me and now I have to show them they are not wrong. I am very happy and I hope to be here until I retire."
Congratulations on getting your contract extended until 2017. I guess you must be very happy...
I am very happy because this means that the club and its coaching staff trust in me being here. I really feel at home at Real Madrid and I'm very happy. Now I have to show that they are not wrong and that I can be a good player for the team.
Also, this trust comes a month after another reason for celebration: your second European Football Championship.
We're seeing, with Spain, some wonderful years which will be remembered forever. I'm lucky enough to be living though them from the inside and the team is fantastic and has proven that during the last championships. Let's hope it carries on like that for many years to come. Although we know it's difficult, the team will never be short of ambition.
Having your contract extended brings you closer to your goal of being at Real Madrid until you retire.
In the world of football you never know because anything can happen during each season. I'm really excited and want to stay on at the club. I'm very happy here and hope to be here until I retire.
How has Albiol grown as a footballer since having Mourinho as coach?
The coach is very demanding and gets the best performance out of each player. He makes you concentrate and be involved. He's a winner. You have to be there and really make an effort.
What's the key to his success?
I guess he has a lot because he's been successful for many years now, winning lots of trophies and training the best teams in the world. He understands a lot about football, devotes a lot of time to it, and is on top of everything. He knows how to get the best from the players. That's his skill.
Albiol, Pepe, Ramos, Arbeloa, Varane, Marcelo, Carvalho, Coentrão… Many players make Real Madrid's defence the best in the world. Do you agree?
We have great defenders and a great team.
Last season you won the best Liga in history and you set the mark really high. What goals have you set yourselves for this season?
To win all the trophies we can, although, depending on how the season goes, we'll see if we're capable of achieving this or not. We shouldn't just concentrate on one. We'll play all four and we'll go after them all.
Pepe said in the press room that the team's camaraderie was crucial to winning la Liga. Does the team really get on that well?
There's a great atmosphere, despite many things that were said last year. Also, we have great footballers and the year before we showed that we can go further and keep on growing. We have to keep on showing this during the coach's third year to achieve our goals and improve on last season.
The first opportunity to show this the Supercopa de España against Barcelona...
It's a trophy that's not far away. We're training to get in shape and get to the official matches in the best possible way. Last year we didn't get it, so let's hope this season is different and that we win it.
Lastly, what message would you like to send to Real Madrid fans?
Together we'll try to fight for all the trophies. We particularly want to win the European Cup. On a personal level I'll try to improve, shine when I have the opportunity to do so and help the team as much as I can. We must come together because that's the most important thing.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 05 May 07:29 LEVANTE, Veteran captain Juanfran announces quitting
- 04 May 13:36 BARCELONA - Piqué: "I hope Inter and Milan come back soon"
- 01 May 21:25 LA LIGA - Full Time Scores
- 30 Apr 16:06 REAL MADRID - James offered to Juventus
- 30 Apr 15:35 LA LIGA - Real Betis Balón Pie VS FC Barcelona
- 30 Apr 14:03 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid VS Rayo Vallecano
- 30 Apr 13:09 LA LIGA - Real Sociedad VS Real Madrid
- 30 Apr 11:33 ATHLETIC BILBAO - San José: "I'm not leaving"
- 30 Apr 10:41 VALENCIA - Eyes on Meré
- 30 Apr 09:36 REAL SOCIEDAD - Target Emenike
- 30 Apr 09:02 ATELTICO MADRID - Godin to feature against Bayern
- 29 Apr 18:08 BARCELONA - The new whim of Neymar, who bought a plane for $9 million
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 28 Apr 14:10 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "The best goal of my career"
- 28 Apr 12:10 BARCELONA - Bartra to leave
- 28 Apr 11:54 REAL MADRID - Bumper bid for de Gea
- 28 Apr 11:19 BARCELONA - Preferential option on Saul Niguez
- 27 Apr 17:58 REAL MADRID - Ronaldo race for fitness ahead of CL clash
- 27 Apr 13:52 BARCELONA - Six defenders could leave
- 27 Apr 11:25 BARCELONA -Target Thiago Silva
- 27 Apr 11:14 VALENCIA - Try to appoint Prandelli
- 26 Apr 13:39 REAL SOCIEDAD - Inigo Martinez extends his contract
- 26 Apr 09:35 CHELSEA - Diego Costa makes surprise appearance in Madrid
- 24 Apr 21:25 LA LIGA - Villarreal 0 - 0 Real Sociedad - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 21:21 LA LIGA - Villareal 0-0 Real Sociedad
- 24 Apr 19:04 LA LIGA - Getafe 2-2 Valemcia (FT)
- 24 Apr 18:35 LA LIGA - Villareal FC vs Real Sociedad FC (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 18:05 LA LIGA- Getafe 0-0 Valencia (HT)
- 24 Apr 16:50 LA LIGA - Sevilla FC 2-0 Real Betis Balón Pie (FT)
- 24 Apr 16:33 LA LIGA - Getafe FC vs Valencia FC
- 24 Apr 14:35 LA LIGA - SEVILLA DERBY: Sevilla FC VS Real Betis Balón Pie (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 12:54 LA LIGA - Levante 2-2 Athletic (FT)
- 23 Apr 21:26 LA LIGA - FC Barcelona 6-0 Sporting Gijon (FT)
- 23 Apr 20:14 LA LIGA - Barcelona 1-0 Sporting de Gijón (Half Time)
- 23 Apr 19:26 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 1-0 Málaga (FT)
- 23 Apr 18:14 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 0-0 Málaga (half time)
- 23 Apr 17:00 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Full-time Report
- 23 Apr 16:46 REAL MADRID- Benzema injured: a doubt for Champions League semi-final
- 23 Apr 16:01 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Halftime Report
- 23 Apr 14:55 LA LIGA - Rayo Vallecano Vs Real Madrid Lineup
- 23 Apr 08:33 BILBAO - Iñigo Martinez as a replacement for Laporte
- 23 Apr 08:18 SEVILLA - Set to battle Inter for Feghouli
- 23 Apr 07:43 VALENCIA - Keen on Marco Asensio
- 22 Apr 19:42 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo, Casemiro and Carvajal missing for Rayo trip
- 22 Apr 19:25 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: I hope we have overcome the doldrums
- 22 Apr 14:29 REAL MADRID - Ramos will retire at Madrid
- 22 Apr 11:30 VALENCIA, Mustafi: "I'm fine here, but there are many offers for me"
- 21 Apr 14:09 BARCELONA - Neymar to miss the Copa America
- 20 Apr 22:55 LA LIGA / Real Madrid 3-0 Villareal
- 20 Apr 22:17 LA LIGA / Malaga 1-1 Rayo Vallecano (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA / Valencia 4-0 Eibar (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:03 LA LIGA / Athletic Club 0-1 Atletico Madrid (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:55 LA LIGA / Sporting Gijon 2-1 Sevilla (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:01 LA LIGA / Deportivo La Coruña 0-8 FC Barcelona (Ended)
- 20 Apr 20:49 LA LIGA / Valencia 3-0 Eibar (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:39 LA LIGA / Athletic 0-1 Atletico de Madrid (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:38 LA LIGA - Real Madrid - Villareal Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:41 LA LIGA - Valencia - Eibar Line
- 20 Apr 19:30 LA LIGA - Málaga - Rayo Vallecano Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:18 LA LIGA - Sporting Gijon - Sevilla Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:09 LA LIGA - Athletic - Atletico Madrid lineup
- 20 Apr 18:26 LA LIGA - Deportivo La Coruña - FC Barcelona lineup
- 20 Apr 11:46 BARCELONA - Hummels not for sale
- 19 Apr 21:44 Espanyol v Celta Vigo 1-1 / Real Betis v Las Palmas 1-0
- 19 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Neymar focused on turning Barca around"
- 19 Apr 15:51 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin: Great relationship with Suarez
- 19 Apr 15:33 REAL MADRID - Gareth Bale and Carvajal will not be against Villareal
- 19 Apr 12:56 Barcelona, Atletico or Real: Who has the toughest run in?
- 15 Apr 17:37 BARCELONA - Dani Alves makes light of Barcelona's European exit
- 14 Apr 14:54 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We never stopped believing"
- 13 Apr 09:10 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Blancos for Champions League and La Liga double"
- 12 Apr 18:09 REAL MADRID, Modric: "We can go through thanks to our supporters"
- 12 Apr 11:49 UCL/BARCELONA - Barca pair to miss Champions League tie
- 11 Apr 10:29 EUROPA LEAGUE - Nolito ‘Celta practically in Europe, but...’
- 10 Apr 22:15 LA LIGA - Full time: Athletic Bilbao 1 - Rayo Vallecano
- 10 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA - Full time: Villarreal 2 - 0 Getafe
- 10 Apr 22:08 LA LIGA - Full time: Valencia 2 - 1 Sevilla
- 10 Apr 22:04 LA LIGA - Full time: Sporting Gijon 0 - 1 Celta Vigo
- 10 Apr 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID target BENFICA's Gaitan
- 09 Apr 21:52 LA LIGA - Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 07:26 SEVILLA - Emery: "A moderate joy, we still got 90 minutes to play"
- 08 Apr 06:49 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Aduriz: "We can do a come back in the second leg"
- 07 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Xavi: "I want to coach Barcelona"
- 07 Apr 09:04 REAL MADRID - Benzema injured against Wolfsburg
- 06 Apr 12:22 BARCELONA FC, Ter Stegen: "No agreement with City. I'll talk to Barça after season runs out"
- 06 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Xavi: "I want to coach Barcelona"
- 05 Apr 22:16 ATLETICO MADRID - 'We are still alive' says Luis
- 05 Apr 20:58 LA LIGA - La Liga report Cristiano Ronaldo abuse
- 05 Apr 08:32 LA LIGA / LEVANTE - GIJON: Final Score
- 04 Apr 21:04 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Piqué warns Atlético: Barcelona could be unstoppable
- 04 Apr 08:32 LA LIGA / LEVANTE - GIJON: Final Score
- 03 Apr 22:58 La Liga - Sunday's Scores
- 03 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "My future? I don't know, but I can't imagine myself anywhere but here"
- 03 Apr 10:28 LA LIGA - Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid: Cristiano Ronaldo grabs late El Clasico winner
- 02 Apr 21:45 LIGA / VALENCIA, Ayestaran: "Happy with the team in spite of the defeat"
- 02 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Ter Stegen wants guaranteed minutes
- 01 Apr 22:06 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Gimenez would be priority of the Real Madrid
- 01 Apr 21:27 REAL MADRID - Raphael Varane, low for the Classic
- 01 Apr 19:22 LA LIGA/BARCELONA - Busquets to make a counter-offer for his extension
- 06 May 12:03 ROMA trying to keep Szczesny on loan
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 06 May 11:33 CHELSEA - Willian wants Alexandre Pato to stay
- 06 May 11:18 JUVENTUS - Mino Raiola says he can't rule out Pogba's move
- 06 May 11:01 NAPOLI to bid for a Fiorentina duo
- 06 May 10:49 LIVERPOOL to join the battle race for Caner Erkin
- 06 May 10:34 NAPOLI - Callejon could leave
- 06 May 10:23 BAYER LEVERKUSEN to bid for Kiyotake
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 06 May 09:52 PALERMO - Vazquez to leave
- 06 May 09:27 JUVENTUS - Mustafi: "I have offers but I am fine at Valencia"
- 06 May 09:08 ARSENAL keen on Arda Turan
- 06 May 08:59 BARCELONA - Ter Stegen won't leave
- 06 May 08:27 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Riveros joins FC Basel
- 06 May 08:13 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Valencia, scouting Atalanta's Rafael Toloi
- 06 May 07:58 AS ROMA, Sabatini on Giallorossi midfield stars: "I want to keep Nainggolan and Pjanic"
- 06 May 07:39 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Zielinski opens to joining Reds
- 06 May 07:26 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Old new plan for signing Maksimovic
- 06 May 07:11 ITALY/ INTER, Caner Erkin will be signed on a 3 years deal
- 05 May 23:04 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "It was unbelievable: attitude, readiness, everything"
- 05 May 22:04 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 3-1 Shakhtar [Agg 5-3] FT Sevilla in the FINAL!
- 05 May 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 3-0 Villarreal [Agg 3-1] FT - Liverpool go to the FINAL!
- 05 May 21:32 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 3-0 Villarreal [Agg 2-1] LIVESCORE
- 05 May 21:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 3-1 Shakhtar Donetsk [Agg 5-3] LIVESCORE
- 05 May 21:26 LEICESTER CITY, Mahrez 50-50 to leave
- 05 May 21:02 MANCHESTER UNITED target Varane
- 05 May 20:58 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla 1-1 Shakhtar Donetsk [Agg 3-3] Half-time report
- 05 May 20:56 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool 1-0 Villarreal [Agg 1-1] Half Time
- 05 May 20:38 AC MILAN, Agent says Zlatan may return
- 05 May 20:15 MANCHESTER CITY contact JUVENTUS over Pogba
- 05 May 19:54 EUROPA LEAGUE Sevilla v Shakhtar Donetsk Official Line-Ups
- 05 May 19:52 MANCHESTER UNITED, Signing 17 year-old Polish keeper
- 05 May 19:28 WEST HAM and TOTTENHAM both target Lacazette
- 05 May 19:23 EUROPA LEAGUE Liverpool v Villarreal Official Line-Ups
- 05 May 18:13 CHELSEA - Matic to be replaced by Kante
- 05 May 17:47 MANCHESTER CITY - Hart: "We go again to cement our place in the CL"
- 05 May 17:16 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "They have to come to Anfield"
- 05 May 16:48 LIVERPOOL - Thompson: "I have concerns over Sturridge future"
- 05 May 16:28 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini: "Real Madrid were lucky"
- 05 May 16:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Survey on Hysaj: 18 million euros request on him
- 05 May 15:45 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Thorgan Hazard on target
- 05 May 15:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, MLS perspective for Casillas
- 05 May 15:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Maxi Lopez more and more likely to leave
- 05 May 15:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Suggestion for Ayoze Perez
- 05 May 14:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Deepening talks with AS Roma on Pjanic
- 05 May 14:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Survey on Savic
- 05 May 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Working on sealing the deal on Joao Mario
- 05 May 14:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Doumbia's agent: "No one called me from Leicester. I'll meet Giallorossi executives soon"
- 05 May 13:45 FRANCE/ PSG, Delaying tactics on Lo Celso's signing
Italian newspaper Il Messaggero today's edition reported, as their first sports title, AS Roma chief executive Walter Sabatini's iconic words: "I want to keep Radja Nainggolan an Miralem Pjanic in the squad, no matter what. El Shaarawy? I'll hire him back from AC
Franco Vazquez is reportedly willing to leave Palermo after this disappointing season in the Serie A.
Fiorentina and Juventus are expected to
Playing for Levante since the second half of 2009/10, after having already been a youth area member for Granotes in the 90's, 1976-born centre-bac
West Brom manager Tony Pulis, speaking in pre-match press conference about his team, claims he doesn't know if Saido Bera
Liverpool have reportedly eyed Javier Pastore in action for Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, according to France Football.
Wolfsburg have reportedly offered Naldo a new contract to stay in Germany in spite of Manchester United interest, a