JUVENTUS, Marchisio: “Hungry for success”
08.08.2012 12.59 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Claudio Marchisio has vowed to lift Juventus to victory in Saturday’s Super Cup clash with Napoli. The 26-year-old, whose nine strikes from midfield signalled his best goalscoring return since breaking into the first-team, believes the Bianconeri will burst out the traps when they lock horns with Walter Mazzarri’s men in Beijing.
Speaking at a press conference from the team’s base in China, Marchisio said: “We need to show we’re the strongest in our game against Napoli. We’re playing for the first trophy of the season, we’re the reigning champions and we want to display that on the pitch. Juventus are always hungry for success.”
The boyhood Bianconeri fan moved quickly to refute suggestions that playing in finals is only a worthwhile exercise for the side that emerges victorious.
“Some say that it would be better not to get to the final in the first place than to lose it, but I don’t agree with that. These games help a player grow and allow you to learn how to face similar fixtures in the future. There isn’t a favourite, two great teams will face each other and the side with the most hunger will emerge victorious.”
Saturday’s encounter at Beijing’s Olympic Stadium will be the first time Conte’s men have faced Napoli since a 2-0 defeat in May’s Coppa Italia final. Marchisio is fully aware of the strength possessed by the Partenopei, but thinks the opposition will be equally as fearful of a ravenous Juventus.
“They’ve developed greatly over the last few years and have made quality purchases. However, we’re the reigning champions and they’re also aware they’ll be facing a tough team who want to continue winning.”
There have been whispers that current off-field events might disrupt the Bianconeri’s Super Cup preparations, yet the midfielder insists all sights remain fixed on avenging May’s defeat.
“We’re just thinking about the game. We’ve got thick skin and seeing the manager so focused can only rub off on us. We’re not affected by events going on around us, if anything it gives us a boost to do well.”
The discussion then moved to the club’s work in the transfer market, prompting Marchisio to praise the new signings who have the unenviable task of battling for a place in one of the best midfields in Europe.
“We required fresh impetus. The club has done extremely well to bring in important players like Asamoah and Isla, who contributed to Udinese’s success over the past few years.
“Di Natale spoke very highly of Asamoah while we were on international duty. Asa’s a great lad, besides being a versatile and precise footballer.
“The manager has tried him as an inside midfielder during the friendlies and he did well, but he can also play on the flank.”
This summer’s transfer business has also brought the return of Sebastian Giovinco. The diminutive frontman is back in Turin after a two-year stint at Parma, and Claudio can’t wait to play alongside his close friend.
“Giovinco has immediately settled in brilliantly, I had no doubt he would. He’s matured, the years go by and he’s been able to get on with his football and show his worth at Parma. I was with him on international duty and on holiday and I know he wants to do the same here.”
Many players have expressed their surprise and delight at the incredible reception they have been afforded since touching down in Beijing. And Marchisio believes it demonstrates exactly how highly Juventus are regarded on a global scale.
“It’s a sign of how important Juventus are across the world. We can only thank all our Chinese fans who follow us and wait in the hotel for an autograph or photo.
“The Spanish and English leagues are probably more popular here, but Italian football isn’t inferior, our run in the European Championships proves just that.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 16 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Giaretta: "No contacts with Inter for Basta and Danilo"
- 15 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Conte elusive about his future
- 14 Apr 14:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "As when I was a player, I always think about both defending and attacking"
- 14 Apr 11:15 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "Now we can't afford any more slip-ups"
- 11 Apr 23:15 INTER, Guarin: "AC Milan? I signed a new deal to stay at Inter"
- 11 Apr 18:19 AS ROMA, Garcia: "I'd love the season to go on foreve"
- 11 Apr 14:44 JUVENTUS, Isla targets victory against former club in Udine
- 11 Apr 09:31 JUVENTUS,Europa League - Conte: “We deserve our place in the semis”
- 11 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Reina: "My future? I haven't decided yet"
- 10 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Wolski: "I want to remain here for a long time"
- 09 Apr 18:44 JUVENTUS, Conte targets “prestigious” spot in Euro semis
- 09 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt: "Seedorf always tells us to respect one another"
- 09 Apr 14:44 JUVENTUS, Caceres out to continue club’s European journey
- 09 Apr 14:30 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "The Scudetto race isn't over yet"
- 09 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Pjanic: "Now I am happy here, but.."
- 08 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Bonera: "We'll give everything we have for joining Europe"
- 08 Apr 15:30 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "We haven't been aesthetically flawless, but we showed we are a team"
- 08 Apr 13:30 AC MILAN, Kakà: "Honda was already working well, we are very happy for him"
- 08 Apr 10:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Honda is improving game by game"
- 08 Apr 09:46 INTER, Hernanes: "This opportunity came at the right moment in my career"
- 08 Apr 00:00 AC MILAN, Mexes: "I will honor my contract"
- 07 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Keita: "I am not thinking about my contract"
- 06 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Vucinic and Quagliarella away? We'll see"
- 05 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Reina: "Honoured by Barcelona interest"
- 04 Apr 19:15 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella: "Growing up I also liked Montella"
- 04 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I want to stay and win something relevant"
- 04 Apr 08:45 JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "O.L? A massive win"
- 04 Apr 08:30 JUVENTUS, Conte: "Lads showed the right mentality"
- 04 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are interested in Lacazette"
- 03 Apr 15:00 AC MILAN, Medical report on Essien's injury
- 03 Apr 09:49 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Weidenfeller: "We made things too easy for Madrid"
- 03 Apr 08:52 INTER, Hernanes: "Very few with Mazzarri’s footballing intelligence"
- 03 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Taddei: "I hope to renew, but.."
- 02 Apr 15:58 INTER, Botta: "An honour for me to be able to wear the Nerazzurri shirt"
- 02 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Mesto's agent: "Soon the new contract"
- 01 Apr 15:45 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Let’s think exclusively about the league championship"
- 01 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Diakite's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 31 Mar 12:34 INTER, Chivu announce the mutual termination of the contract
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Neto: "New contract? I am happy in Florence.."
- 30 Mar 06:30 INTER, Ranocchia: "My future? In June we'll see.."
- 29 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pirlo: "Moving abroad? I am in the right place"
- 28 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt's middleman: "Great chances for him to stay, however..."
- 27 Mar 17:15 AC MILAN, Mexes: "It was fundamental for us to egt the win against Fiorentina"
- 27 Mar 10:15 JUVENTUS, Conte: "We’re the only Italian representative in the hunt for a European trophy"
- 27 Mar 09:08 AC MILAN, Kakà: "We dedicate this win to Claudio Lippi"
- 27 Mar 00:00 INTER, Thohir: "Handanovic will stay"
- 26 Mar 12:36 AS ROMA, Pallotta about stadium project: "The city and fans deserve this"
- 26 Mar 09:45 INTER, Mazzarri: "I've never said I have doubts about my future"
- 26 Mar 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "The new contract? Too early"
- 25 Mar 16:00 INTER, Guarin: "I’m relaxed and want to stay here"
- 16 Apr 13:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Chances for André Ayew
- 16 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Approaching Nico Lopez
- 16 Apr 12:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos' agent: "No offer from United, he won't move at least until the end of next season"
- 16 Apr 12:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Keita set to extend: temporary no to Arsenal and Inter
- 16 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Increasing chances to sign Giaccherini
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 11:45 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, 3 suitors for Livermore's future
- 16 Apr 11:30 CHELSEA, AS MONACO & ATLETICO MADRID: 3-fold duel for Icardi ready
- 16 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL: Epic battle for Cuadrado thrown to Bayern, Juventus and PSG
- 16 Apr 11:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio keen on signing Quagliarella, but he wants out from Italy
- 16 Apr 10:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, From Italy: done for Gonalons, announcement expected in May
- 16 Apr 10:30 FRANCE/ AJACCIO, Ochoa's agent: "AC Milan submitted him an offer"
- 16 Apr 10:15 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Eyes on former Arsenal youngster Nordtveidt
- 16 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, 4 present scenarios for Giovinco's future
- 16 Apr 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ander Bardaji extends for Real Sociedad
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Decisive move for Kone ready
- 16 Apr 09:00 FRANCE/ NICE, 2 Serie A suitors for Pejcinovic
- 16 Apr 08:39 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Nkansah set to join
- 16 Apr 08:19 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Eyes on Del Prete
- 16 Apr 08:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vágner Mancini is Botafogo new coach
- 16 Apr 07:40 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Furth sign Wutz
- 16 Apr 07:17 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Wilmots will train the NT until 2018
- 16 Apr 06:57 PSG, Alex: "In two weeks I will sign a new contract"
- 16 Apr 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "We want to keep Kroos, but it's up to him"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 16 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Giaretta: "No contacts with Inter for Basta and Danilo"
- 15 Apr 23:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Anelka won't join Atletico MG
- 15 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, 5 clubs after Calhanoglu
- 15 Apr 22:59 BRAZIL/ INTERNACIONAL, Dreaming Sandro's comeback
- 15 Apr 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Rugani
- 15 Apr 22:20 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER, Attempt for Macheda
- 15 Apr 22:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Mitrovic
- 15 Apr 21:37 ARGENTINA/ ARSENAL, Palermo will be the new coach
- 15 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Eyes on Drago
- 15 Apr 20:59 GERMANY/ MAINZ, Two players will leave
- 15 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ AS ROMA, First steps for Drogba
- 15 Apr 20:20 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Emerson Sheik joins Botafogo
- 15 Apr 20:00 RUSSIA/ CSKA, Eyes on Radosevic
- 15 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayern sign Lulic
- 15 Apr 19:30 FRANCE/ OL, Interest for Romulo
- 15 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Gundogan renews with Borussia
- 15 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Gamberini will leave
- 15 Apr 18:45 GERMANY/ BAYER, Kampl could come back
- 15 Apr 18:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal fire Alfaro
- 15 Apr 18:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Interest for D. Sakho
- 15 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Auction for Cuadrado
- 15 Apr 17:45 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Jallet to replace Aurier
- 15 Apr 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Widmer
While Olympique Marseille are trying to close the deal on Eric Bautheac, who should join from OGC Nice, Ghanaian international winger and forward André Ayew (24) is getting more and more likely to leave on a full basis, while AC Milan management are careful on the...
Interviewed by Rai Sport, Juventus head coach Antonio Conte has declared: "Leaving at the end of the season? As I always say, I am so...
Inteviewed by Onda Cero, Atletico de Madrid coach Diego Simeone has declared about Chelsea 30 year old forward Fernando Torres: "Of course...
Capable to score a double against West Ham, Lukas Podolski is one of the subjects mentioned by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger during his...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Interviewed by globoesporte, PSG defender Alex has declared: "I have always said that I am very happy in Paris and I think that I will...