JUVENTUS, Marchisio: “Hungry for success”
08.08.2012 13.59 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Claudio Marchisio has vowed to lift Juventus to victory in Saturday’s Super Cup clash with Napoli. The 26-year-old, whose nine strikes from midfield signalled his best goalscoring return since breaking into the first-team, believes the Bianconeri will burst out the traps when they lock horns with Walter Mazzarri’s men in Beijing.
Speaking at a press conference from the team’s base in China, Marchisio said: “We need to show we’re the strongest in our game against Napoli. We’re playing for the first trophy of the season, we’re the reigning champions and we want to display that on the pitch. Juventus are always hungry for success.”
The boyhood Bianconeri fan moved quickly to refute suggestions that playing in finals is only a worthwhile exercise for the side that emerges victorious.
“Some say that it would be better not to get to the final in the first place than to lose it, but I don’t agree with that. These games help a player grow and allow you to learn how to face similar fixtures in the future. There isn’t a favourite, two great teams will face each other and the side with the most hunger will emerge victorious.”
Saturday’s encounter at Beijing’s Olympic Stadium will be the first time Conte’s men have faced Napoli since a 2-0 defeat in May’s Coppa Italia final. Marchisio is fully aware of the strength possessed by the Partenopei, but thinks the opposition will be equally as fearful of a ravenous Juventus.
“They’ve developed greatly over the last few years and have made quality purchases. However, we’re the reigning champions and they’re also aware they’ll be facing a tough team who want to continue winning.”
There have been whispers that current off-field events might disrupt the Bianconeri’s Super Cup preparations, yet the midfielder insists all sights remain fixed on avenging May’s defeat.
“We’re just thinking about the game. We’ve got thick skin and seeing the manager so focused can only rub off on us. We’re not affected by events going on around us, if anything it gives us a boost to do well.”
The discussion then moved to the club’s work in the transfer market, prompting Marchisio to praise the new signings who have the unenviable task of battling for a place in one of the best midfields in Europe.
“We required fresh impetus. The club has done extremely well to bring in important players like Asamoah and Isla, who contributed to Udinese’s success over the past few years.
“Di Natale spoke very highly of Asamoah while we were on international duty. Asa’s a great lad, besides being a versatile and precise footballer.
“The manager has tried him as an inside midfielder during the friendlies and he did well, but he can also play on the flank.”
This summer’s transfer business has also brought the return of Sebastian Giovinco. The diminutive frontman is back in Turin after a two-year stint at Parma, and Claudio can’t wait to play alongside his close friend.
“Giovinco has immediately settled in brilliantly, I had no doubt he would. He’s matured, the years go by and he’s been able to get on with his football and show his worth at Parma. I was with him on international duty and on holiday and I know he wants to do the same here.”
Many players have expressed their surprise and delight at the incredible reception they have been afforded since touching down in Beijing. And Marchisio believes it demonstrates exactly how highly Juventus are regarded on a global scale.
“It’s a sign of how important Juventus are across the world. We can only thank all our Chinese fans who follow us and wait in the hotel for an autograph or photo.
“The Spanish and English leagues are probably more popular here, but Italian football isn’t inferior, our run in the European Championships proves just that.”
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 25 Aug 18:00 NAPOLI - Sepe might be loaned out again: TORINO keen on him
- 24 Aug 20:44 JUVENTUS - Lemina: "I feel wanted here, both by the club and the coaching staff"
- 24 Aug 15:13 OFFICIAL - SAMPDORIA sign PRAET
- 24 Aug 12:30 AS ROMA - Spalletti about Champions League exit: "It's a hard result to take"
- 23 Aug 16:15 OFFICIAL - ATALANTA sign KONKO: "I owe everything to Gasperini"
- 23 Aug 15:36 AQUILANI about to resign from Sporting Lisbon. PESCARA ready to swoop in
- 23 Aug 10:33 INTER - No interesting offers for Brozovic, he will extend
- 22 Aug 20:15 OFFICIAL - Pescara sign BAHEBECK from PSG and MURIC from Ajax
- 22 Aug 19:16 TMW EXCLUSIVE - LAZAAR in talks with 2 Premier League and 1 Liga clubs
- 21 Aug 20:16 SERIE A - MILAN v TORINO 3-2 FT
- 21 Aug 18:59 TMW EXCLUSIVE - Sampdoria-Torino duel on TOMOVIC
- 21 Aug 16:10 Matchday 1 - MILAN v TORINO, official lineups: market top name BACCA's good to go
- 20 Aug 13:03 NAPOLI to extend Koulibaly's deal this week
- 19 Aug 21:00 JUVENTUS - The selected squad for FIORENTINA's game, Pjanic in
- 18 Aug 09:04 OFFICIAL - LAZIO sign FK Rostov defender Bastos
- 13 Aug 17:16 SASSUOLO to make ATALANTA star Gomez their main target
- 12 Aug 17:30 OFFICIAL - LAZIO sign LEITNER from Dortmund
- 12 Aug 17:15 ROMA to bid for TORINO star Bruno Peres after Champions League playoff
- 12 Aug 14:30 OFFICIAL - UDINESE core-player DANILO extends contract
- 12 Aug 11:16 SASSUOLO keen on Saponara
- 11 Aug 14:45 ROMA wants £13m for Leandro Paredes
- 11 Aug 13:47 LAZIO closing in on £3.5m move for Ntep
- 09 Aug 15:30 AS ROMA, Vermaelen: "We'll need to define which achievements we'll aim for"
- 09 Aug 13:44 GENOA - Edenilson joining today
- 08 Aug 13:43 LAZIO leapfrog Napoli in the race for Sturaro
- 08 Aug 13:05 INTER - Mancini's farewell, all the reasons
- 08 Aug 11:29 MILAN still keen on CHELSEA winger Cuadrado
- 08 Aug 10:14 BREAKING NEWS - CHIEVO launch late bid for Balotelli
- 07 Aug 14:34 SASSUOLO set to move for ATALANTA star Gomez
- 07 Aug 10:30 INTER ask to GENOA a pre-emption on Perin
- 06 Aug 19:22 OFFICIAL - HAMSIK extends for NAPOLI
- 06 Aug 16:07 MILAN want £21m from JUVENTUS for De Sciglio
- 06 Aug 15:21 JUVENTUS and MILAN set to battle for Favilli
- 06 Aug 13:21 ROMA on the verge of signing Vermaelen from BARCELONA
- 06 Aug 12:19 WEST HAM set to move for Lazaar
- 05 Aug 13:44 AS ROMA - Szczesny: "My message to fans is to keep believing"
- 04 Aug 11:16 AS ROMA - Szczesny arrived at Fiumicino airport (PHOTOS)
- 04 Aug 11:00 INTER need a playmaker: eye on Lucas Biglia
- 03 Aug 17:16 Nainggolan: "I know that Vermaalen is considering ROMA's offer"
- 03 Aug 12:44 AS ROMA - Nainggolan: "I chose to stay here and that won't change"
- 02 Aug 12:31 ROMA closing in on £3m move for Fazio
- 02 Aug 11:48 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "Happy about having extended"
- 01 Aug 15:32 INTER to offer £42m for Edinson Cavani
- 31 Jul 21:56 ROMA miss out on Mario Rui for at least 4 months
- 31 Jul 21:27 INTER MILAN lining up Oscar move
- 30 Jul 00:30 INTER - Frank de Boer might be the next manager
- 29 Jul 20:00 INTER - Thohir: "We've taken some big steps forward"
- 29 Jul 17:15 NAPOLI - De Laurentiis answers to Higuain: "lack of respect towards all Neapolitans"
- 29 Jul 15:22 LAZIO, Candreva: "I'm about to become an INTER player"
- 28 Jul 11:44 OFFICIAL - Gnahore back to SSC NAPOLI
- 27 Jul 21:04 INTER - Miranda: "I'm happy here and I like my contract"
- 27 Jul 19:20 INTER - Felipe Melo: "It was my intention to stay here because it's a dream come true"
- 27 Jul 10:47 JUVENTUS - Higuain: (VIDEO) "I'm happy here, I hope to win Champions"
- 27 Jul 02:00 INTER, Thohir: "We won't yield ICARDI. Mancini? He's our manager"
- 26 Jul 16:45 AS ROMA - Totti: "Players choose go somewhere to win more and earn more money"
- 21 Jul 21:15 Veron: "Inter-Estudiantes a special match for me. It will be exciting to find old friends"
- 21 Jul 18:30 INTER - Moratti: "Mancini, I don't exclude a contract renewal"
- 21 Jul 10:25 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "We can't accept Atletico offer for HIGUAIN. Juventus? That would be absurd"
- 20 Jul 13:44 NAPOLI - CHELSEA chasing Koulibaly
- 20 Jul 12:15 LAZIO - Jardel from Benfica, agreement for Lukaku
- 20 Jul 11:14 JUVENTUS, Asamoah: "Happy to stay"
- 20 Jul 11:07 OFFICIAL - Sampdoria sign Cigarini
- 19 Jul 22:54 JUVENTUS reject Calhanoglu
- 18 Jul 16:08 AC MILAN - SUSO might stay put
- 14 Jul 11:03 JUVENTUS reject West Ham loan offer
- 13 Jul 12:00 INTER - Eder could move to China
- 13 Jul 11:31 AC MILAN - Bacca will let West Ham know by Friday if he intends to join
- 12 Jul 11:58 NAPOLI - Two clubs want Gonzalo Higuain
- 11 Jul 18:18 INTER - Icardi not for sale
- 07 Jul 18:17 AS ROMA, Perotti: "A team like ours needs to be aiming for the Scudetto"
- 07 Jul 17:46 AS ROMA - Iturbe: "I can’t wait to get to know Spalletti"
- 07 Jul 15:46 AC MILAN - Montella: "The minimum goal is to get into Europe"
- 06 Jul 11:50 OFFICIAL - JUVE confirm MORATA departure
- 06 Jul 11:44 JUVENTUS - €20m (£17m) bid for Chelsea midfielder Matic
- 05 Jul 20:28 JUVENTUS - Zaza's agent: "Future? He wants to play more"
- 05 Jul 19:16 INTER - D’Ambrosio: "We want to make the fans proud"
- 04 Jul 16:38 OFFICIAL - SAMPDORIA sign GIAMPAOLO as new manager
- 28 Jun 12:51 JUVENTUS, Dani Alves introduces himself: "It was time to leave Barça. Bianconeri are THE icon of Italian football"
- 28 Jun 11:48 FC INTER - Thohir: "Proud of the strategic partnership formalised today with Suning"
- 22 Jun 18:51 OFFICIAL - Empoli buy Buchel back from JUVENTUS
- 21 Jun 16:54 OFFICIAL - AC MILAN: El Shaarawy has been permanently sold to AS ROMA
- 15 Jun 22:15 OFFICIAL - Palermo extend contract with Portuguese talent Embalo
- 15 Jun 20:45 LAZIO - Negotiation with Bielsa ongoing in Argentina
- 11 Jun 08:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Spartak Moscow in talks with Sampdoria for FERNANDO
- 10 Jun 10:54 JUVENTUS, Eye on Pellè
- 08 Jun 17:30 AS ROMA, Chelsea cleared of wrongdoing over the loan of Salah
- 08 Jun 17:16 LAZIO, Other troubles with Adriano: Barça will not let him leave for free
- 03 Jun 09:44 AC MILAN, Unai Emery gives green light: € 1.5 millions resignation to FC Seville
- 31 May 23:38 Italia, Bernardeschi's father: "Federico's convocation is a dream"
- 28 May 15:23 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'am dealing with Chinese e for this reason I study Chinese"
- 25 May 21:41 Inter, Zanetti: "Medel is important for us, it remains here"
- 23 May 22:15 Lazio, postive meeting with Prandelli
- 23 May 18:11 Napoli, the promise made by Higuain to Sarri: "I'll see you in Dimaro"
- 23 May 18:01 Inter, Moratti and Suning agreement: "Possible news soon"
- 23 May 17:57 Zanetti: "Simeone would coach Inter, but Mancini is a great coach"
- 23 May 17:45 Roma, Pallotta arrives in June. Totti and stadium on the agenda
- 23 May 17:06 Seria A, top 11 of Italian Championship according to UEFA
- 23 May 16:53 Inter, fixed Brozovic price: costs 25 mln euro
- 17 May 22:16 Milan, Bacca: "Saturday we have the opportunity to raise a new cup"
- 17 May 20:55 Fiorentina, Zarate: "I'am happy for my season in Florence"
Watford manager Walter Mazzarri has claimed he is happy with the summer signings especially following the arrival of Daryl Janmaat from Newcastle United yesterday.
"I need to evaluate the new signings - Mazzarri said - They have just arrived and I need
After an unfruitful season spent playing on loan for Fiorentina, Italian goalkeeper Luigi Sepe (25) might be leaving Napoli on a temporary b
After his move to Real Betis Seville failed, Spanish defensive midfielder David Lopez (26), leaving Napoli after two seasons, is about to join Espanyo
Watford manager Walter Mazzarri has claimed he is happy with the summer signings especially following the arrival of Daryl Janmaat from
Interviewed by France Football, French-Malian right-back Djibril Sidibé (24), who joined AS Monaco from Lille little less than a mont
Mainz 05 announced having signed German Under-21 international midfielder Levin Öztunali (20), who left Bayer Leverkusen, on a deal lasting