REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Jan 21:49 OFFICIAL - Javi ALAMO resigns from OSASUNA and joins ALMERIA
- 18 Jan 15:02 ATLETICO MADRID - Duel to Genoa and Sassuolo on Walter MONTOYA
- 17 Jan 12:44 MALAGA close to sign DEMICHELIS back
- 16 Jan 00:26 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA sign ZAZA
- 13 Jan 20:30 OFFICIAL - DEPORTIVO, Ola JOHN joins on loan from Benfica
- 13 Jan 12:10 OFFICIAL - CELTA VIGO sign Jozabed Sanchez and Dani Molina
- 12 Jan 17:33 SPORTING GIJON close to sign TIOTE from Newcastle
- 11 Jan 19:13 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA confirm VORO Gonzalez as first team manager
- 11 Jan 15:36 OFFICIAL - CELTA VIGO hand NARANJO out to GENK
- 10 Jan 16:08 OFFICIAL - Argentinian veteran DEMICHELIS resigns from ESPANYOL
- 10 Jan 11:28 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign LENGLET from AS Nancy
- 09 Jan 17:09 OFFICIAL - Algerian defender MEDJANI resigns from LEGANES
- 09 Jan 16:52 LAS PALMAS agree with Fiorentina on signing TOLEDO
- 07 Jan 20:36 OFFICIAL - MALAGA sign PENARANDA
- 06 Jan 22:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - MALAGA target Deportivo Cali's PRECIADO
- 06 Jan 14:56 GRANADA - Arsenal loanee Jon TORAL might leave and join GLASGOW RANGERS
- 03 Jan 16:11 REAL BETIS - Musonda's father confirms son's leaving: it will be Chelsea or AS Roma
- 02 Jan 22:22 OFFICIAL - Bojan JOKIC resigns from VILLARREAL
- 30 Dec 17:37 MALAGA planning to sign JOKANOVIC as new boss in summer
- 30 Dec 14:19 ATLETICO MADRID & ALAVES - A Premier League top suitor for Theo HERNANDEZ
- 29 Dec 22:37 ATLETICO MADRID - CERCI in talks for a Serie A comeback
- 29 Dec 20:21 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign SIOVAS and 2 B squad players
- 28 Dec 22:06 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign SERANTES on a new contract
- 28 Dec 20:11 OFFICIAL - Marcelo ROMERO is MALAGA new manager
- 28 Dec 19:00 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "Retiring at Barcelona is my dream"
- 28 Dec 00:53 SPORTING GIJON - Attempt for Newcastle's TIOTE ready
- 24 Dec 06:37 BARCELONA -Luis Enrique: 'Melon d'Or' battle 'ridiculous'
- 24 Dec 02:25 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone believes he will struggle to find a better club
- 23 Dec 12:10 REAL MADRID - 3 Liga suitors for Mariano DIAZ's loan
- 22 Dec 17:11 VILLARREAL - First attempt for GABIGOL failed
- 19 Dec 20:37 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA - A big-time Turkish suitor for EMRE COLAK
- 17 Dec 22:36 EIBAR - 2 UK clubs pursuing Sergi ENRICH
- 16 Dec 22:45 EIBAR - 2 English and 1 German suitors for DANI GARCIA
- 14 Dec 23:15 FC SEVILLE - Lucas PRATTO on target
- 14 Dec 18:55 ESPANYOL - A top suitor for Gerard MORENO
- 14 Dec 17:28 REAL BETIS - A French suitor for Antonio ADAN
- 13 Dec 16:13 VILLARREAL - Cheryshev might be traded to DEPOR
- 12 Dec 13:48 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA scouting Lens' ZOUBIR
- 10 Dec 04:35 VALENCIA - 2 suitors for Aussie goalie Mathew RYAN
- 09 Dec 19:26 FC SEVILLE, Kolodziejczak: "It's time for me to leave and start somenthing new"
- 07 Dec 20:37 FC SEVILLE challenged by Sporting Lisbon on signing VANGIONI
- 07 Dec 01:13 BARCELONA FC scouting Ajax talent CERNY
- 03 Dec 03:55 EXCLUSIVE TMW - LAS PALMAS challenge Serie A sides on ADEJO
- 02 Dec 13:55 REAL BETIS - Musonda to leave back to Chelsea in winter
- 01 Dec 19:19 6 Liga clubs keen on REAL MADRID new sensation Mariano DIAZ
- 01 Dec 16:40 ESPANYOL - ROBERTO Jimenez wants to leave in winter
- 30 Nov 12:00 BARCELONA - Mathieu out 20 days
- 29 Nov 22:17 OSASUNA - Eyes on ZACCARDO
- 26 Nov 14:37 3 Liga suitors on Stoke departee MUNIESA
- 24 Nov 13:39 ATHLETIC BILBAO planning to bring MERINO back to Spain
- 21 Nov 23:37 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA consider bringing LUIS ALBERTO back
- 20 Nov 02:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Pezzella about to be signed on a new contract
- 19 Nov 02:29 MALAGA, Arnau: "BALOTELLI offered himself to us, but..."
- 18 Nov 14:04 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: "I imagine Messi at Barça for many years"
- 18 Nov 10:01 FC SEVILLE want to sign Emmanuel MAS from San Lorenzo
- 18 Nov 03:41 MALAGA challenge Depor on CAICEDO
- 15 Nov 23:01 FC SEVILLE - Aleix VIDAL willing to join back
- 14 Nov 11:46 MALAGA - Doors open leading to ITURBE
- 14 Nov 05:46 VILLARREAL - New long-term contract for GASPAR on arrival
- 12 Nov 18:17 LAS PALMAS, Boateng: "I'm finally enjoying football and life here, ready for a new contract"
- 12 Nov 13:35 OFFICIAL - REAL BETIS announce new head coach
- 11 Nov 11:42 OFFICIAL - LAS PALMAS, 3 deal extensions and one renewal
- 10 Nov 15:47 VALENCIA scouting Miguel VELOSO
- 09 Nov 11:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Guidolin targeted for replacing Poyet
- 08 Nov 19:22 REAL MADRID - Eyes on Brazilian youngster from Corinthians
- 08 Nov 16:33 OFFICIAL - VILLARREAL sign Manu TRIGUEROS on a new contract
- 08 Nov 15:44 OFFICIAL - OSASUNA sack Enrique Martín
- 07 Nov 19:01 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "MSN are wonders, I'd never have played at Barça"
- 07 Nov 10:09 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Ronaldo should retire at Real"
- 04 Nov 15:47 VILLAREAL - Pato: "The image of Milan will always Berlusconi"
- 03 Nov 17:01 VIDEO - 5 things... Real Madrid in fine form
- 02 Nov 23:07 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We lacked a bit of everything"
- 02 Nov 07:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "We'll fight to be group leaders"
- 01 Nov 23:10 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Tight and tough clash"
- 01 Nov 09:50 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi? I don't know what will happen"
- 31 Oct 20:46 REAL MADRID - Bale: "Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or"
- 30 Oct 19:05 Liga/ Sunday Afternoon FT scores, Matchaday 10
- 30 Oct 10:12 SEVILLA, Sampaoli: "We deserved more"
- 30 Oct 09:23 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "It was a strange game"
- 29 Oct 23:04 BARCELONA - Fernandez: "We will extend the top player contracts in the end of the season"
- 29 Oct 00:49 FC SEVILLE might pursue KISHNA again
- 28 Oct 16:52 BARCELONA - Rafinha: "Neymar the victim of a media campaign"
- 28 Oct 14:48 ATLETICO MADRID keen on Ascacibar
- 26 Oct 22:37 FC SEVILLE - Eyes on Udinese/Watford talent PENARANDA
- 26 Oct 20:02 OFFICIAL - REAL MADRID, Lucas Vazquez extends his deal until 2021
- 26 Oct 19:06 BARCELONA - Mathieu injured: out for three weeks
- 25 Oct 21:04 FC SEVILLE still keen on HOFFENHEIM's Rudy
- 24 Oct 19:55 GRANADA - Andreas PEREIRA wants to join United back and play first team
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
According to latest news reported by Daily Mail, English-Nigerian centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo (19), currently playing in Manchester City Under-23 squad, is getting less and less likely to accept being signed by his current parent club on his professional contract. The
According to Italian news, Torino management are getting closer and closer to sign Argentinian attacking midfielder/winger Lucas Nahuel Castro (27). F
Hailing from the last ranking position of Spanish Liga, Osasuna announced 28-year old winger Javi Alamo got his contract with them resigned. Leaving N
According to latest news reported by Daily Mail, English-Nigerian centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo (19), currently playing in Manchester City Un
Caen announced having loaned out DR Congolese international attacking midfielder Jordan N'Kololo (24) to Stade Lavallois, competing in L
Hoffenheim announced having signed Austrian Under-21 international midfielder Florian Grillitsch (21), joining from Werder Bremen on undisclosed terms