REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 18.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 18 May 08:30 VALENCIA, Bernat: "I hope to remain"
- 17 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "I will stay here"
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 16:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ulna fracture for Ghoulam
- 28 Aug 16:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid: arrives Velazquez
- 28 Aug 16:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Allardyce: "Still hoping to bring a new signing"
- 28 Aug 16:01 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Torres' agent: "Milan is a possibility
- 28 Aug 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Sanchez's victory goal against Besiktas: "Alexis needed to score his first goal as a Gunner"
- 28 Aug 15:48 ITALY/ PALERMO, Duel to Aston Villa on Acquafresca
- 28 Aug 15:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Torres unlikely to leave due to Diego Costa's injury
- 28 Aug 15:24 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Potential last-minute attempt for Aubameyang
- 28 Aug 15:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Benfica back for Cristante
- 28 Aug 15:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swansea City renew Ki Sung-Yueng's deal
- 28 Aug 14:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Majestic offer for Blind is ready
- 28 Aug 14:36 AUSTRALIA/ SYDNEY FC, Chances to sign Pellissier
- 28 Aug 14:24 URUGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Alfaro joins Liverpool Montevideo back
- 28 Aug 14:12 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Zigic's agent: "It's true, Gunners are after him"
- 28 Aug 14:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Answer to United on Kagawa expected. Italian rivals approaching
- 28 Aug 13:48 ITALY/ GENOA, Done for Roncaglia
- 28 Aug 13:36 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to Arsenal on William Carvalho
- 28 Aug 13:24 ITALY/ AC MILAN, In the end Zaccardo might join Parma back
- 28 Aug 13:12 ITALY/ INTER, Keeping an eye on Roberto Firmino
- 28 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Palermo: today Hernandez will join Hull City
- 28 Aug 12:45 UKRAINE/ SHAKHTAR DONETSK, Approaching Romarinho
- 28 Aug 12:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, From Spain: lead on Song
- 28 Aug 12:15 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Papu Gomez about to join
- 28 Aug 12:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Working on signing Santon
- 28 Aug 11:44 ARSENAL, Official medical report on Giroud: 4 months' stop
- 28 Aug 11:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Xabi Alonso about to attend medicals
- 28 Aug 11:15 INDIA/ DELHI DYNAMOS, Agreement with Juventus icon Del Piero
- 28 Aug 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Stall on Cerci: two rivals incoming
- 28 Aug 10:37 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, An Italian rival towards Montenegro
- 28 Aug 10:17 ITALY/ CHIEVO VERONA, Done for Cofie
- 28 Aug 09:59 ITALY/ PARMA, Negotiations with Juventus on De Ceglie ongoing
- 28 Aug 09:39 ITALY/ UDINESE, Ultimate duel to Torino on Duvan Zapata
- 28 Aug 09:20 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Sorensen about to join from Juventus: medicals ready
- 28 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Cvitanich
- 28 Aug 08:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Boavista sign Quincy
- 28 Aug 08:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Also Mitroglou on the wishlist
- 28 Aug 08:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico sign Velázquez
- 28 Aug 08:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaudino
- 28 Aug 07:40 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Meeting for Rabiot
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 28 Aug 06:57 MONTPELLIER, Stambouli: "Everything can happen"
- 28 Aug 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We are in talks with Holtby"
- 28 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We don't have to replace Giroud"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 28 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I won't join Monaco"
- 27 Aug 23:37 ITALY/ INTER, Alvarez towards Sunderland
- 27 Aug 23:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Sprint for Damiao
- 27 Aug 22:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alonso about to join
- 27 Aug 22:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Nice sign Pléa
Fernando Torres' agent Antonio Sanz is reported to have told MilanNews that a deal to take his client to AC Milan is close. He said after meeting with Rossoneri officials:
"The meeting has been positive. Torres at Milan is a possibility. We will take time to reflect b
Through his Twitter profile, AC Milan 28-year-old defender Adel Rami has declared: "I am an AC Milan player, and I won't move. I respect Mona
Barcelona new forward Luis Suarez has declared: "When I heard about Barcelona offer, I had no doubts, because it was my dream. I have refused oth
Commenting upon Emirates Stadium 1-0 victory over Besiktas and following access to Champions League group round, Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere stat
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Hamburg Sports Director Diermar Beiersdorfer has declared about Tottenham attacking midfielder Lewis Holtby: "He is a good player, he's young