REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 25 Jul 19:02 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign FEDDAL from Alavés
- 23 Jul 09:06 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign Vitorino ANTUNES and three other players
- 23 Jul 04:52 OFFICIAL - Uruguayan international forward STUANI joins Liga greenhorns Girona
- 21 Jul 15:05 OFFICIAL - Deportivo La Coruña sign SCHAR from Hoffenheim
- 21 Jul 09:10 ATLETICO MADRID - 3 Italian suitors for VIETTO
- 17 Jul 23:31 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign Paulo OLIVEIRA from Sporting Lisbon
- 15 Jul 14:20 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Mario HERMOSO
- 14 Jul 17:33 OFFICIAL - Atletico Madrid sign VITOLO and loan him to Las Palmas
- 13 Jul 22:42 OFFICIAL - Villarreal sign BAKAMBU on a new contract
- 13 Jul 17:44 OFFICIAL - Deportivo La Coruña sign Carles GIL and Gerard VALENTIN
- 12 Jul 14:51 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign MAURO Dos Santos from Eibar
- 12 Jul 11:55 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign CALLERI and TOLEDO
- 10 Jul 21:04 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC sign MURIEL and Guido PIZARRO
- 08 Jul 18:55 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign GRANERO
- 07 Jul 19:28 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign Javi JIMENEZ on a new deal
- 07 Jul 13:19 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign Antonio Barragán
- 07 Jul 09:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Real Betis, done for GUARDADO
- 06 Jul 23:25 ESPANYOL about to sign Esteban GRANERO
- 06 Jul 13:42 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign young goalie PEDRO LOPEZ on new deal
- 06 Jul 10:11 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign ROBERTO Jimenez and Borja Baston
- 05 Jul 12:59 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign goalie PRIETO from Espanyol for second squad
- 05 Jul 11:31 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo buy JOZABED back from Fulham
- 05 Jul 10:03 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign CHARLES Dias
- 04 Jul 19:40 GETAFE - Eyes on AC Milan departee VANGIONI
- 03 Jul 21:23 OFFICIAL - Manuel Marquez Roca is the new Las Palmas manager
- 02 Jul 19:22 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign TELLO and extend with Nacho Gonzalez
- 02 Jul 05:09 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign homegroomed goalie LIZOAIN on new deal
- 23 Jun 23:25 LAS PALMAS - An Italian top club keen on LEMOS-MESA duo
- 23 Jun 14:47 CELTA VIGO - An Italian top suitor for JONNY Castro
- 19 Jun 21:11 OFFICIAL - Leganés buy SIOVAS back from Olympiakos
- 16 Jun 11:16 OFFICIAL - Sergio GARCIA joins Espanyol back
- 14 Jun 18:54 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Leo BAPTISTAO from Atletico Madrid on a full basis
- 11 Jun 16:26 OFFICIAL - Levante sign Antonio LUNA
- 09 Jun 20:36 OFFICIAL - Metz sign BALLIU on new contract
- 09 Jun 18:32 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign 2001-born talent GONZALEZ on new deal
- 09 Jun 09:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Leganés, VERDE might join from AS Roma
- 08 Jun 23:27 MALAGA keen on Sevilla second-liner Marc GUAL
- 07 Jun 16:37 LAS PALMAS - From Spain: done for GABIGOL
- 06 Jun 19:51 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign veteran Iván RAMIS on new deal
- 06 Jun 09:04 CELTA VIGO - Eyes on Antonio LUNA
- 05 Jun 21:00 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign Raul GARCIA from Alavés
- 04 Jun 11:41 OFFICIAL - Gorka ELUSTONDO leaves Athletic Bilbao as a free agent
- 04 Jun 04:26 REAL SOCIEDAD planning to sign Diego LLORENTE from Real Madrid
- 01 Jun 19:48 LAS PALMAS - Eyes on Mexican goalie OCHOA
- 31 May 21:48 OFFICIAL - Villarreal sign ENES UNAL from City on a full basis
- 29 May 17:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign Rubén DUARTE from Espanyol
- 29 May 16:55 OFFICIAL - 4 players leave Athletic Bilbao
- 28 May 19:24 LAS PALMAS interested in signing GABIGOL on loan from Inter Milan
- 25 May 09:49 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao, internal solution: Ziganda is the new manager
- 24 May 16:20 OSASUNA - 2 top suitors for Alex BERENGUER
- 24 May 11:21 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA - An Italian suitor (and a Portuguese one) for ANDONE
- 24 May 08:47 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Diego LOPEZ on a full basis. Pipa's deal extended, José Reyes leaves for good
- 23 May 14:53 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign Uruguayan wonderkid MAXI GOMEZ
- 22 May 08:37 LEGANES - Eyes on Genoa departee COFIE
- 21 May 04:50 DEPORTIVO ALAVES - 3 Serie A suitors for Daniel TORRES
- 18 May 12:49 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign Kevin-Prince BOATENG on a new contract
- 17 May 19:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Celta Vigo agree 4-year deal with Uruguayan wonderkid Maxi GOMEZ
- 17 May 10:17 OFFICIAL - Betis extend deal with PEZZELLA
- 16 May 08:14 MALAGA, Demichelis announces quitting: "I lost the leg strength needed"
- 15 May 23:13 REAL BETIS, Ceballos: "My future is still here"
- 12 May 22:33 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad, captain MIKEL Gonzalez says farewell. New deal for Raul Navas
- 12 May 15:26 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC buy ONDOA back from Tarragona
- 11 May 17:02 OFFICIAL - Marcelino is the new Valencia manager
- 10 May 22:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Las Palmas target AS Roma loanee ITURBE
- 10 May 15:15 OFFICIAL - Betis sack Sanchez del Amo. Trujillo is caretaking
- 09 May 21:49 SEVILLA FC - 5 top suitors for VITOLO
- 09 May 10:16 SEVILLA FC, director Arias: "Nothing true about KEITA joining us"
- 08 May 13:28 ATLETICO MADRID loanee Theo HERNANDEZ's agent: "Real and Barça want him"
- 06 May 21:23 MALAGA, Camacho: "Making me leave would be hard"
- 05 May 23:24 SPORTING GIJON - 2 German suitors for Jorge Meré
- 29 Apr 21:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sevilla FC eyeing AC Milan's LAPADULA
- 27 Apr 21:49 CELTA VIGO about to sign Serbian midfielder RADOJA on a new deal
- 25 Apr 22:04 REAL BETIS - A Premier League top suitor for Antonio Adán
- 23 Apr 16:23 GRANADA, Tony Adams: "We can't sign Richardson and Reo-Coker"
- 21 Apr 19:02 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Malaga in touch with AC Milan on Gustavo GOMEZ
- 20 Apr 15:12 ESPANYOL, Diego Lopez: "I need to learn about AC Milan's future before knowing mine"
- 19 Apr 12:24 LAS PALMAS about to sign Kevin-Prince BOATENG on a new deal
- 17 Apr 15:52 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Espanyol, an Italian suitor on Rubén DUARTE
- 17 Apr 08:15 VALENCIA - Eyes on Sergio León
- 14 Apr 01:18 REAL BETIS, Pezzella's agent: "AS Roma might turn to him. Inter Milan and Napoli like him"
- 12 Apr 15:45 ESPANYOL - A Premier League top suitor for David LOPEZ
- 12 Apr 10:38 REAL BETIS set price on PEZZELLA. Inter Milan made inquiry
- 11 Apr 11:46 ESPANYOL plan to try signing BOJAN Krkic
- 10 Apr 16:32 OFFICIAL - Granada announced Tony ADAMS being their new manager
- 06 Apr 20:26 OFFICIAL - Granada sign Brazilian youngster CAIO EMERSON
- 05 Apr 08:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Celta Vigo, 2 clubs willing to bring Giuseppe ROSSI back to Italy
- 04 Apr 19:55 OFFICIAL - Iago ASPAS extends contract with Celta Vigo
- 03 Apr 23:24 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sevilla scouting Sampdoria playmaker TORREIRA
- 03 Apr 14:44 VILLARREAL - A Premier League top suitor for SAMU Castillejo
- 01 Apr 19:09 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sign GURIDI on a new contract
- 31 Mar 21:35 REAL MADRID legend Raúl soon to become an executive for Merengues
- 31 Mar 10:55 BARCELONA FC - Unzué more and more likely to replace Luis Enrique
- 28 Mar 17:52 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign captain JAVI LOPEZ on a new deal
- 27 Mar 20:36 REAL BETIS captain Joaquín: "I'd like to buy the club someday"
- 26 Mar 18:58 BARCELONA FC, Denis Suarez's agent: "No transfer talks. He's fine and on the right path at Barça"
- 24 Mar 09:07 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "The player I'd like to join us is COUTINHO"
- 22 Mar 10:33 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We are in talks for BENZEMA new contract"
- 21 Mar 22:12 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sign captain and icon Xabi PRIETO on a new deal
- 19 Mar 22:49 SEVILLA FC, Sampaoli: "No talks with Barça"
- 12 Mar 12:03 VALENCIA, Zaza: "Staying here for a long time would make me happy"
Recently in talks for a move to Trabzonspor, Moroccan international midfielder Omar El Kaddouri (turning 27 next August 21), possibly leaving Empoli after just half a season, due to relegation to second-tier, has been offered to Sampdoria, according to La Gazzetta dello Spor
Recently in talks for a move to Trabzonspor, Moroccan international midfielder Omar El Kaddouri (turning 27 next August 21), possibly leaving Empoli a
Coming from a noteworthy seasonal performance offered for Deportivo Alavés, Moroccan international centre-back Zouhair Feddal (27) has been off
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has voiced his concern about the way clubs are "spending £30 million, £40 million, £50 mil
According to latest rumours collected through TMW sources of ours, Lille management have finalized the signing of Slovakian Under-21 international goa
Augsburg announced having extended four players' contracts: 33-year old German midfielder Daniel Baier (until June 2019), 29-year o