REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 16.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 21 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "It was the right time to split-up with Mourinho"
- 20 May 16:20 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "I'm fine here, but I'm not ruling PSG out"
- 20 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Everybody would like to have Neymar"
- 19 May 06:29 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "Back to Italy? I can't exclude anything"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 17 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I hope I can remain"
- 16 May 14:44 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: “We feel confident to win the Copa”
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I would never move to another European club"
- 15 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I feel important for this team"
- 14 May 14:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi stops for 2-3 weeks
- 14 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I thought Valdes was going to extend"
- 13 May 06:00 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "Let'see what will happen inside the club"
- 12 May 06:30 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "My future? Nothing concrete for the moment"
- 11 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Villa? We always want great players"
- 10 May 09:47 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Madrid must stop squabbling"
- 10 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "No calls from the club, it means that they don't want me"
- 09 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to remain, but.."
- 08 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "No negotiations with Inter"
- 07 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Real must find an agreement with Sao Paulo"
- 06 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kakà: "I don't think I'll move back to Brazil"
- 05 May 05:59 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Our team doesn't need big changes"
- 04 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modrid's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 03 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "My future is here"
- 02 May 05:59 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "I could move back to Arsenal"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "I will go where people love me to be"
- 30 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Ancelotti here? Ask him and the club!"
- 29 Apr 16:04 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Confident that we can turn the tie around"
- 29 Apr 06:00 REAL BETIS, Benat: "I dream to play for Athletic"
- 28 Apr 06:27 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Botafogo is an option, but I could also stay here"
- 27 Apr 06:29 SEVILLA, Negredo's agent: "Several clubs keen on him, he hasn't refused any offer"
- 26 Apr 06:19 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Yes, Real want to keep him"
- 25 Apr 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Monatnier: "No contacts with Lille"
- 24 Apr 08:30 BARCELONA, Xavi accept Bayern were better
- 24 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Signing Diego? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 15:15 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "It is difficult to predict who will play in the final"
- 23 Apr 10:30 BARCELONA, Messi: "Bayern even stronger than last year"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I have made no decisions about my future yet"
- 22 Apr 16:45 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "It will not be easy to beat Dortmund
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Roura: "Abidal's contract? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 21 Apr 06:29 BARCELONA, Dos Santos: "My future? I need to play more"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Villa: "Many clubs are tracking me"
- 19 Apr 19:00 BARCELONA FC, Sanchez: "I'm fine here, I've got everything I want"
- 18 Apr 12:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "It's about doing something extra, not just winning"
- 18 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Santa Cruz's agent: "We are in talks with Botafogo"
- 17 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No negotiation with Inter for Kondogbia"
- 16 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes'agent: "He has one more year on his contract"
- 13 Apr 06:00 LEVANTE, Michel: "Back to Valencia? It's up to them"
- 12 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Valverde: "My new contract? All on stand-by"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Piquè: "Ferguson was wrong to sell me"
- 22 May 07:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Motherwell sign Lawson
- 22 May 06:45 LILLE, Chedjou: "I will leave, but.."
- 22 May 06:30 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We are interested in Santana, but we must wait"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three-year deal for Seedorf ready
- 21 May 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pulis quits Stoke City
- 21 May 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Hatemaj
- 21 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sprint for Isco and Lewandowski
- 21 May 22:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Ventura should remain
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Idea Luis Enrique
- 21 May 21:37 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Armand
- 21 May 21:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera could stay
- 21 May 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also PSG after Diego Alves
- 21 May 20:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Feghouli
- 21 May 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bouazza quits Racing
- 21 May 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Consigli
- 21 May 19:42 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Boer extends with Ajax
- 21 May 19:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Back for Iborra
- 21 May 19:16 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Mavuba
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is £20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I will remain, my agent is taking care of it. I can say that I have received some offers from both Italy and Spain, but the final...
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I...
As reported by todomercadoweb.es, Barcelona star Leonel Messi has declared about the possible arrival of Santos 21 year old striker Neymar:...
Interviewed by the London Evening Standard, Chelsea 29 year old striker Fernando Torres has declared: "The chance to work with Mourinho is...
Interviewed by Reviersport, Borussia Dortmund General Manager Horst Heldt has declared about the possibility to sign Borussia Dortmund 27 year...
As reported by Sky Sports Uk, Lille 27 year old defender Aurelien Chedjou has declared: "Nothing is done with any club. Yes, I want to...