REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 18.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 14 Apr 19:16 SPAIN, Puyol: "To play or to coach? I do not rule out any option"
- 14 Apr 18:48 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Atletico are undisputed favourites - not Real"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are in talks for Alves' new deal"
- 10 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 09 Apr 12:24 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique about Xavi: "I want him to stay and help us"
- 09 Apr 06:20 VALENCIA, André Gomes: "Chelsea? I am happy here"
- 07 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Miranda: "I am staying here"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Xavi can stay, if he wants"
- 05 Apr 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We need new players"
- 04 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Would I rejoin Milan? Of course"
- 03 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, unconcerned by Messi injury
- 02 Apr 14:44 REAL MADRID, Roberto Carlos: "Danilo will succeed in getting under the spotlight"
- 02 Apr 13:31 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "It would be a dream come true to play alongside Messi"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayŕ will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayŕ's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayŕ going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayŕ's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 27 Apr 09:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, More suitors for Rodriguez
- 27 Apr 08:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Westerloo sign Daems
- 27 Apr 07:57 ITALY/ PALERMO, Andelkovic injured
- 27 Apr 07:27 MONTPELLIER, Mounier: "I would like to try an experience abroad"
- 27 Apr 06:59 WERDER, Eichin: "No offers for Di Santo"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 27 Apr 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Soon we'll talk about Ventura's new deal"
- 26 Apr 23:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Douglas Costa would like to join
- 26 Apr 22:57 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Nani could stay
- 26 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Diaz ready
- 26 Apr 21:59 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, No agreement for Gundogan
- 26 Apr 21:30 ITALY/ INTER, Mission for Dybala
- 26 Apr 21:00 FRANCE/ OM, Ranieri the next coach?
- 26 Apr 20:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Atletico PR sign Kadu
- 26 Apr 19:57 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Obi Mikel towards Real
- 26 Apr 19:29 ITALY/ INTER, Also Vrsaljko on the list
- 26 Apr 18:59 GERMANY/ BAYER, Keen on Weiser
- 26 Apr 18:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, No agreement for Carvalho
- 26 Apr 18:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Working for Otamendi's new deal
- 26 Apr 17:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, Auction for Simon
- 26 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Eyes on Fekir
- 26 Apr 15:00 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Eyes on Jung
- 26 Apr 14:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Leed on Kasami
- 26 Apr 13:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Ze Roberto retires
- 26 Apr 12:57 OM, Ayew: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 26 Apr 12:29 WOLFSBURG, Perisic: "I want to stay"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 26 Apr 11:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Garcia stays"
- 26 Apr 05:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Working on Abdennour
- 26 Apr 04:00 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Survey on Rafael
- 26 Apr 03:00 ITALY/ INTER, Filipe Luis on target
- 26 Apr 02:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, 2 more Italian suitors for Jesé Rodriguez
- 26 Apr 01:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, 4 years deal offered to André Ayew
- 26 Apr 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Approaching Kondogbia
- 25 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Jorginho offered to Palermo
- 25 Apr 22:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Suggestion for Van Der Vaart
- 25 Apr 21:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Majestic offer for Van Der Wiel ready
- 25 Apr 20:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Keen on Rod Fanni
- 25 Apr 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Manchester United insisting on De Vrij
- 25 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back for Imbula: challenge thrown to Chelsea
- 25 Apr 17:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Jordi Alba on target
- 25 Apr 16:00 ASTON VILLA & EVERTON, Eyes on Micah Richards
- 25 Apr 15:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, 3 suitors for Moses Simon
- 25 Apr 14:00 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Gustavo Henrique's agent: "AC Milan on his tracks for a long time"
- 25 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale's agent: "He's unlikely to stay. He'll make his choice in June"
- 25 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Dortmund on Gundogan: the sums
- 25 Apr 11:00 MLS - CANADA/ TORONTO FC, Survey on Santacroce
- 25 Apr 10:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Eyes on Kosanovic
While several clubs are tracking Tunisian international centre-back Aymen Abdennour (25), Arsenal management are trying to hasten and blaze competitors and sign him soon. Currently on a deal with AS Monaco until June 2019, former Toulouse and Werder Bremen player, not e
Interviewed by Sky Sport after the game won against city rivals Juventus, Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared about the future of his team'
Real Sociedad coach David Moyes has declared: "We want to get good players here. Illarramendi is a very good player and the president, myself and
After the game against WBA, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has declared: "I give credit to the players because they came out after a difficult
Montpellier 27-year-old attacking midfielder Anthony Mounier has declared: "I hear all around saying that I want to leave, but l am not intereste
Wolfsburg 26-year-old striker Ivan Perisic has told WAZ: "I have two more years on my contract and my goal is to stay here for another two years.