REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 21 May 09:59 CELTA VIGO, Iago ASPAS: "High hopes for World Cup. My future? I'm happy here, but..."
- 20 May 13:44 OFFICIAL - Juan Carlos UNZUE leaves Celta Vigo
- 18 May 18:16 VALENCIA, Marcelino: "CANCELO's future? It's up to Inter Milan"
- 18 May 08:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Fernando TORRES' agent: "Happy for the EL won. I think he'll join MLS"
- 16 May 17:47 CELTA VIGO - A Premier League suitor for Pione SISTO
- 11 May 14:14 BARCELONA FC - 4 Liga suitors for Yerry MINA
- 11 May 13:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign boss ABELARDO on new deal
- 11 May 09:00 SEVILLA are keen on former Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini
- 10 May 10:14 BARCELONA celebrate victory, Catalan press magnifies Dembélé
- 08 May 21:16 VILLARREAL submit SCO Angers cash bid for EKAMBI
- 08 May 08:19 AS about Cristiano Ronaldo: "He will be in Kiev"
- 04 May 15:37 REAL BETIS want Kevin-Prince BOATENG in
- 03 May 22:34 OFFICIAL - SD Eibar extend deal with boss MENDILIBAR
- 30 Apr 21:20 GETAFE - Suitors for GUAITA increasing
- 29 Apr 05:46 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC sack Montella. CAPARROS is the new boss
- 26 Apr 19:45 OFFICIAL - Barça B replace Gerard Lopez with GARCIA PIMIENTA
- 23 Apr 22:02 SEVILLA FC director Arias: "Nothing suggests MONTELLA is set to be sacked"
- 20 Apr 21:15 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sack QSF and Lardin. Gallego caretaking the team
- 13 Apr 10:10 BARCELONA - no rush with Umtiti contract extension
- 12 Apr 09:57 REAL MADRID - Ramos risks with another disqualification
- 10 Apr 22:25 REAL SOCIEDAD approaching Unai EMERY as next boss
- 10 Apr 11:11 ATLETICO MADRID announce Fernando TORRES saying farewell
- 09 Apr 12:48 REAL BETIS agree deal with Sergio CANALES
- 09 Apr 10:23 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone about team's future
- 07 Apr 00:01 BARCELONA FC defender UMTITI: "I don't mind market rumours. Barça are everything I can ask for"
- 05 Apr 19:51 OFFICIAL - Real Madrid sign ABNER over back to Coritiba
- 04 Apr 19:04 2 Liga clubs challenge OGC Nice on Uruguayan playmaker BRUGMAN
- 03 Apr 18:02 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign 2000-born Ferrán TORRES on exit clause and new deal
- 30 Mar 09:16 BARCELONA - together with Messi for La Liga
- 29 Mar 16:25 VILLARREAL working on Bonera renewal
- 28 Mar 16:21 BARCELONA - Valverde: "Messi's injury is nothing important"
- 28 Mar 14:44 REAL MADRID - Isco: "I don't have the kind of confidence that a footballer needs"
- 23 Mar 13:38 REAL BETIS - More and more clubs pursuing Fabián RUIZ
- 22 Mar 18:32 ATLETICO MADRID striker Diego COSTA asks partner GRIEZMANN to stay
- 19 Mar 12:09 VILLARREAL - Eyes on RB Salzburg flank runner BERISHA
- 19 Mar 11:26 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sack SACRISTAN
- 17 Mar 21:02 VALENCIA boss Marcelino: "I take KONDOGBIA's purchase for granted"
- 12 Mar 18:04 REAL SOCIEDAD keen on Gremio hitman LUAN
- 07 Mar 09:31 OFFICIAL - Espanyol bought Sergi DARDER back from Lyon
- 06 Mar 14:18 VALENCIA, Zaza hints to leaving: "I can't score, if I don't play much"
- 05 Mar 10:40 OFFICIAL - UD Levante name Paco LOPEZ new boss
- 01 Mar 20:09 OFFICIAL - Atletico Madrid sign THOMAS Partey on new long-term
- 28 Feb 10:12 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sign Spanish goalie MOYA
- 27 Feb 23:24 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign SZYMANOWSKI on deal extension
- 27 Feb 22:51 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign CALA over to CSL side Henan Jianye
- 27 Feb 09:47 OFFICIAL - Atletico Madrid sign CARRASCO over to Dalian Yifang
- 23 Feb 18:31 OFFICIAL - Villarreal suspend Rúben SEMEDO for crime charges on him
- 22 Feb 21:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo de La Coruña sign Sulley MUNTARI
- 22 Feb 13:07 OFFICIAL - Barcelona FC extend deal with SERGI ROBERTO
- 22 Feb 10:19 VALENCIA, Kondogbia: "I'd pay Inter Milan the €25m buyback fee, if I could"
- 20 Feb 23:21 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign LOBOTKA on deal extension
- 19 Feb 20:54 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign VIERA over to Beijing. There's a peculiar clause
- 17 Feb 11:54 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao break deal with AKETXE
- 12 Feb 15:03 LAS PALMAS, Viera: "Beijing made me an unbeatable offer"
- 11 Feb 17:54 DEPORTIVO ALAVES, Bojan: "I'm happy here, but Stoke's special for me"
- 10 Feb 21:13 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign Imoh EZEKIEL
- 09 Feb 17:49 GETAFE - Veteran goalie MOYA might join back from Atletico next summer
- 08 Feb 18:03 OFFICIAL - Deportivo, Sulley MUNTARI training under new boss Seedorf
- 07 Feb 20:19 OFFICIAL - Girona sign ADAY Benitez on new deal
- 07 Feb 14:56 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign GUTIERREZ over to Sporting KC
- 07 Feb 10:44 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign KATAI over to Chicago Fire
- 06 Feb 22:37 CELTA VIGO director Minambres: "Inter Milan keen on LOBOTKA. We want to raise his salary and the exit clause"
- 06 Feb 14:19 OFFICIAL - Atletico Madrid sign VRSALJKO on new contract
- 06 Feb 12:10 OFFICIAL - Clarence SEEDORF is the new Deportivo de La Coruña manager
- 05 Feb 18:30 OFFICIAL - Girona, ALCALA extends and SANDAZA resigns
- 04 Feb 14:46 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign Mehdi LACEN
- 02 Feb 10:38 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao sign Mikel RICO on new contract
- 01 Feb 18:06 OFFICIAL - Levante sign PAZZINI and Rubén ROCHINA
- 01 Feb 15:59 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Carlos SANCHEZ from Fiorentina
- 01 Feb 11:52 OFFICIAL - Girona sign Honduran hitman Choko LOZANO
- 01 Feb 11:25 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign BOYE from Torino and loan HJULSAGER out
- 31 Jan 19:30 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign LESTIENNE and SUCCESS
- 31 Jan 13:41 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign ETEBO from Feirense
- 31 Jan 00:04 OFFICIAL - Deportivo de La Coruña sign KROHN-DEHLI from Sevilla
- 30 Jan 20:50 OFFICIAL - Real Betis extend deal with Morón
- 30 Jan 16:12 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao sign Iñigo MARTINEZ from Basque rivals Sociedad
- 29 Jan 16:16 BARCELONA - Piqué: "Not interested in playing for another team"
- 27 Jan 10:35 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign AGUIRREGARAY form Tijuana
- 26 Jan 20:33 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo goalie Sergio ALVAREZ extends deal
- 26 Jan 14:18 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign Nacho GIL on loan from Valencia
- 25 Jan 23:13 OFFICIAL - SAMU Garcia joins Malaga back
- 25 Jan 18:43 OFFICIAL - Iván VILLAR extends for Celta and joins Levante on loan
- 24 Jan 13:44 OFFICIAL - Girona sign captain GRANELL on new long-term
- 22 Jan 21:01 OFFICIAL - Deportivo de La Coruña sign KOVAL and BOVEDA
- 19 Jan 10:37 GETAFE planning attempt on Fiorentina reject CRISTOFORO
- 17 Jan 16:00 BARCELONA started contract negotiations with Umtiti
- 17 Jan 15:04 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Ronaldo belongs to Real"
- 16 Jan 09:57 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao sign Iñigo LEKUE on deal extension
- 14 Jan 19:58 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Getafe in deep talks with CICIRETTI
- 12 Jan 18:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign Hernan PEREZ from Espanyol
- 12 Jan 12:17 OFFICIAL - Malaga loan JONY to Sporting Gijon
- 10 Jan 21:11 OFFICIAL - Leganés loan Mamadou KONE out to Belgian side Eupen
- 10 Jan 15:14 OFFICIAL - Spanish goalie Iago HERRERIN extends for Athletic Bilbao
- 09 Jan 20:16 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Espanyol, 6 suitors for PAU Lopez
- 09 Jan 17:29 2 Liga suitors for RB Salzburg Israeli striker DABBUR
- 05 Jan 18:29 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign Robert MAZAN
- 04 Jan 08:58 OFFICIAL - Toño Ramirez extends for Real Sociedad
- 03 Jan 17:15 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Perez? We talked about the possibility of reinforcements"
- 03 Jan 13:23 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Villarreal getting closer to young Argentinian defender ROMERO
- 02 Jan 19:47 OFFICIAL - Veteran striker Rubén CASTRO join Real Betis back
Asked by RMC Sport about the future of Italian centre-back Gianmarco Ferrari (26), set to be bought back by Sampdoria (from Sassuolo, on a 13 million euros fee), and recently linked to Napoli and AS Roma, his agent, Giovanni Bia, stated: "There's a lot of
Asked by RMC Sport about the future of Italian centre-back Gianmarco Ferrari (26), set to be bought back by Sampdoria (from Sassuolo, on a 1
Recently linked to both Napoli and AS Roma, Spanish international forward and Celta Vigo star Iago Aspas (30) told local media: "I was griev
Asked by Marca about the future of former Spanish international striker Fernando Torres (34), mentor of his at Liverpool, and current Newcastle b
"I don't have any fear of stars", - these words of the new Paris Saint-Germain coach, Thomas Tuchel opened today L'E
With Roman Weidenfeller retiring, Borussia Dortmund announced having signed Swiss international goalkeeper Marwin Hitz (30), who's leaving Augsbur