REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 16.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 19 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Romeu: "My future? It's up to Chelsea"
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 17 Apr 08:21 BARCELONA, Bartra: "This defeat saddens us because we fought until the end"
- 17 Apr 08:12 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Madrid hurt us on counterattack"
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 15 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I don't think I will stay"
- 14 Apr 09:45 BARCELONA FC, Zubizarreta: "Messi's renewal? Things are going quite well"
- 11 Apr 19:45 BARCELONA, Bartra out of Granada squad
- 11 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I don't want to leave"
- 10 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We did well and deserved the 3-1 victory"
- 10 Apr 14:45 REAL MADRID, CR7 injured
- 10 Apr 12:17 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I do not know if Atletico deserved this win"
- 10 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Rafinha: "I am not in talks with Barça"
- 09 Apr 06:00 RAYO, Longo's agent: "He is happy in Spain"
- 08 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois elusive about his future
- 07 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Zubizarreta has no fault"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I am not resigning"
- 05 Apr 06:00 GRANADA, Pina: "No agreement with Real for Siqueira"
- 04 Apr 06:00 BETIS, Reyes: "I would stay even in the Second division"
- 03 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "My future? I live day by day"
- 02 Apr 08:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti prepares Madrid for Dortmund reprise
- 02 Apr 08:34 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "This was probably the biggest match I've played at the Camp Nou"
- 02 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "He won't leave"
- 01 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "I want to continue here"
- 31 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Real? I'll stay here or move to Chelsea"
- 30 Mar 06:59 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Many clubs after Diego Costa"
- 29 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi won't leave, as well as Martino"
- 28 Mar 06:00 GETAFE, Sarabia: "Honored of United's interest, but.."
- 27 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Griezmann: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 Mar 06:00 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "The one in Brazil would be my last World Cup"
- 23 Mar 06:29 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Don't know much about my future"
- 22 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes: "Martino will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, D. Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 20 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "I hope to be back for the CL final"
- 19 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo will end his career here"
- 18 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I also dream to train the Italian NT"
- 17 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Here forever? I don't know"
- 16 Mar 06:29 CELTA, Mouriño: "We would like to keep Rafinha"
- 15 Mar 06:29 BETIS, Didac Vila's agent: "His future? Soon we'll see.."
- 14 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I could remain forever"
- 13 Mar 10:08 BARCELONA, Messi: "We're back to our best "
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Pogba? Why not?!"
- 12 Mar 12:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa: "I'm doing well in the Champions League and I'm scoring a lot "
- 12 Mar 06:15 ATLETICO, Villaverde: "Many suitors for Diego Costa"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 21 Apr 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "De Jong and Mlapa? We'll see.."
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 21 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not in talks for a new contract"
- 20 Apr 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Cercle Brugge sign De Bie
- 20 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ VERONA, In talks for Espericueta
- 20 Apr 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Idea Regula
- 20 Apr 21:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Doubts about Elkeson
- 20 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Andreasen
- 20 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer to Silva
- 20 Apr 20:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Mission for Carrillo
- 20 Apr 19:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Three names for the offensive line
- 20 Apr 19:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Pinto ready
- 20 Apr 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Lazio
- 20 Apr 18:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Trying to extend Caparrós' deal
- 20 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Garay for the defense
- 20 Apr 17:27 URUGUAY/ SPORTING, Italian auction for Silva
- 20 Apr 16:57 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Sollbauer renews with Wolfsberger
- 20 Apr 16:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Conte on the wishlist
- 20 Apr 15:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Italian suitors for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN, No more interested in Laporte
- 20 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Fernando ready
- 20 Apr 14:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Schwegler intended to leave
- 20 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Rafa Silva
- 20 Apr 13:29 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Fauré renews with Charleroi
- 20 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Lanzini
- 20 Apr 12:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Eyes on Contento
- 20 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Soon meeting for Rolando
- 20 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, New mission for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 20 Apr 09:00 BORDEAUX, Maurice-Belay: "I want to stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
- 19 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zapata the key for Muriel
- 19 Apr 13:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Two clubs after Kompany
- 19 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back for Ljajic
- 19 Apr 12:29 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Interest for Schwegler
- 19 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gonalons
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by BeINSport, Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has declared: "My future? Now I am thinking about winning the title with Juve,...
Interviewed by Sport, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi will improve and will continue to be our leader. Our...
Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood has declared about 22 year old winger Christian Eriksen: "You are always fearful that someone might come and...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...