REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 18.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 20 Sep 10:27 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi about to renew
- 20 Sep 09:57 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hoarau renews with Young Boys
- 20 Sep 09:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead on Arbeloa
- 20 Sep 09:00 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Depay
- 20 Sep 08:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Still keen on Palmer-Brown
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 20 Sep 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "United can't afford our players"
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 22:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo renews with FC Porto
- 19 Sep 21:37 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Mutu about to sign
- 19 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Van Buyten could come back
- 19 Sep 18:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Martins quits Benfica
- 19 Sep 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Gaudino farther
- 19 Sep 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, The Cavani dream is not over
- 19 Sep 17:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Barragán likely to extend
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 19 Sep 17:15 FIORENTINA & INTER, Ledesma on target if not renewing with Lazio
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 19 Sep 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nottingham Forest loan Laing out
- 19 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Boruc out to Bournemouth
- 19 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: one less suitor for Mata
- 19 Sep 16:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Basa extends for Lille
- 19 Sep 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - SAINT-ETIENNE, Corgnet on Qarabag demi-failure: "We expected a tough game. All group teams will have trouble playing in Azerbaijan"
- 19 Sep 15:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Zengin might renew soon
- 19 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Schär ready
- 19 Sep 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, From Italy: winter attempt for Dani Alves ready
- 19 Sep 14:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - WOLFSBURG, Arnold: "We are not sticking our heads in the sand"
- 19 Sep 14:30 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Keen on Gokhan Gonul
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 19 Sep 14:01 BASTIA, Brandao suspended for head butt to Thiago Motta
- 19 Sep 13:44 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Winter move for Balanta revealed
- 19 Sep 13:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Considering move for Lugano
- 19 Sep 12:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Possible offer to Joseph Yobo
- 19 Sep 12:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Soriano on target
- 19 Sep 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Elche extend Rubio's deal
- 19 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Havre sign Agbetu
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa could come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
- 18 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Solskjaer resigns from Cardiff City manager position
Since having been benched a lot more than expected by Laurent Blanc in the beginning of current season, Uruguayan international striker Edinson Cavani (27) seems to be really weighing up the chance to leave Paris Saint-Germain, even in January, though being still on a deal with t
Hero of the day for Napoli after having scored 2 of the 3 goals thanks to Italian club defeated Sparta Prague in Europa League group round first match
Talking to FC Seville official media after the 2-0 victory over Feyenoord, Argentinian international playmaking midfielder Ever Banega, who joined Eur
Commenting upon Europa League group first match, played against Partizan Belgrade at White Hart Lane and ended in a disappointing 0-0, Tottenham goalk
After the quite unfulfilling 1-1 draw against Azeri outsiders Qarabag, Saint-Etienne offensive midfielder Benjamin Corgnet commented: "Differentl
Commenting upon the 4-1 defeat suffered from Everton, Wolfsburg 1994-born talented offensive midfielder Maxi Arnold stated: "We've been obvio