REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 16.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 06 Dec 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla wants to stay"
- 05 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We respect Valdes' decision"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 03 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya: "We are in talks for a new contract, but.."
- 01 Dec 09:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "I have three more years on my contract"
- 30 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanabria's agent: "Roma, Milan and Arsenal concrete options"
- 29 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "He is happy here, but.."
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld: "It would be great to have De Bruyne with us"
- 27 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Puyol on Ajax failure: "Our performance is unacceptable"
- 27 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Maduro: "I want to play somewhere else, even in Holland"
- 26 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "I want to stay"
- 25 Nov 18:15 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Wenger should buy us a dinner for Ozil"
- 25 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I want to stay forever"
- 24 Nov 09:30 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "The new contact? There is no hurry"
- 23 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 22 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "New contract? We'll see"
- 21 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "We won't yield Griezmann"
- 20 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I want to end my career here"
- 19 Nov 19:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi and Tello join Messi on the injury list
- 19 Nov 12:45 BARCELONA, Busquets backs Messi patience
- 19 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We son't sign a substitute for Khedira"
- 18 Nov 09:19 REAL MADRID, Microsoft won't rename Santiago Bernabeu
- 18 Nov 05:59 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Iniesta's new contract? Before Christmas"
- 17 Nov 08:30 ATLETICO, Rodriguez's agent: "His future? There's an offer from England"
- 16 Nov 14:30 REAL MADRID, Medical report on Khedira's tough injury
- 16 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like Reina to join us"
- 15 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "We are almost due to win World Cup. Leo Messi, join us back!"
- 15 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "No regrets about Barça, I'm happy here"
- 14 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, 14 players in first team training
- 14 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Song: "My future? Now I am happy here"
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I am happy here"
- 12 Nov 12:04 BARCELONA, Fàbregas is pleased with his current form
- 12 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "Many clubs are tracking him"
- 11 Nov 08:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "Messi the best player ever"
- 10 Nov 09:29 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla is going nowhere"
- 09 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas wants to stay"
- 08 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sergi Roberto's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 07 Nov 18:30 REAL MADRID, Morata: "My time will come, I am just thinking about enjoying myself"
- 07 Nov 16:26 BARCELONA, Neymar: "The team is growing, bit by bit"
- 07 Nov 12:26 BARCELONA, Messi: "Calm about recovering from injury"
- 07 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "PSG? I don't think it's possible"
- 06 Nov 15:30 REAL MADRID, U.S. computer titan Microsoft ready to colonize Santiago Bernabeu
- 05 Nov 16:00 BARCELONA, Dos Santos operation succesful
- 05 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Galliani is the CR7 of the executives"
- 04 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, Dos Santos to undergo operation
- 02 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I won't join Napoli"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Djukic: "I will keep on leading this team"
- 30 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "I am happy here, but..."
- 30 Oct 00:45 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa reveals why he chose Spain over Brazil
- 29 Oct 16:44 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Blatter showed a lack of respect for Cristiano Ronaldo"
- 08 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for David Luiz
- 08 Dec 16:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Rafael
- 08 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Fabio Coentrao on target
- 08 Dec 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want Suarez to stay with us, we'll talk about the renewal"
- 08 Dec 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Accelerating towards Mangala
- 08 Dec 11:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Redknapp confirms Benayoun on arrival
- 08 Dec 09:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Cvitanich might join in January
- 08 Dec 07:30 LAZIO, Klose: "MLS and Lerverkusen attract me"
- 08 Dec 01:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Real Madrid for Glen Johnson
- 07 Dec 23:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Insigne
- 07 Dec 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Muniain on target: Llorente set to talk him into joining
- 07 Dec 19:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Desperate try for Balotelli
- 07 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Ranocchia might leave in January
- 07 Dec 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "World Cup draws? Doesn't matter who you get"
- 07 Dec 13:30 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Test period for Yamada
- 07 Dec 11:30 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview, Wenger: "Martinez is doing remarkably well. But we are hungry for winning"
- 07 Dec 09:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, From Spain: Di Maria towards Ligue 1
- 07 Dec 07:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Barreto might leave in January
- 06 Dec 21:30 ARSENAL, Updates on Podolski
- 06 Dec 21:15 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, One more Premier League top suitor for Morata
- 06 Dec 21:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Keen on McGeady
- 06 Dec 20:45 ARSENAL, Wenger still on Bendtner: "He worked hard, and deserved to be picked"
- 06 Dec 20:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer for Batshuayi ready
- 06 Dec 20:15 JAPAN/ CEREZO OSAKA, Simplicio set to leave
- 06 Dec 20:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview, Gareth Barry: "Gunners have been a surprise. They were interested in me"
- 06 Dec 19:45 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Willing to sign Anderson back
- 06 Dec 19:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Still keen on Shaqiri
- 06 Dec 19:15 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas Moura: "I want to keep playing here and leave my mark"
- 06 Dec 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Suggestion for Glen Johnson
- 06 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL, Jenkinson: "Let's keep this attitude for continuing the run we are on"
- 06 Dec 18:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola wants Iñigo Martínez
- 06 Dec 18:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Kukoc
- 06 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview: updates on Sagna
- 06 Dec 17:45 WORLD CUP 2014, All the groups drawn
- 06 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more suitor for Niang
- 06 Dec 17:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Two suitors on Ryo Miyaichi
- 06 Dec 17:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lavezzi coy on London links
- 06 Dec 16:50 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Jovetic's agent: "Coming back home is not an option"
- 06 Dec 16:40 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Eyes on Ginter
- 06 Dec 16:30 FRANCE/ RENNES, English scouts for Bakayoko
- 06 Dec 16:25 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners confirm Josh Kroenke as non-executive director
- 06 Dec 16:15 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Monaco tracking Matip
- 06 Dec 16:11 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Thun, Fischer extends until 2017
- 06 Dec 16:08 UDINESE, Guidolin: "We don't need compliments but points"
- 06 Dec 16:08 AC MILAN, Allegri: "Balotelli never went away. He’s had some injuries"
- 06 Dec 16:06 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Pochettino: "No crisis at St Mary's"
- 06 Dec 15:52 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lille: Enyeama pens new deal
- 06 Dec 15:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Widmer about to join
- 06 Dec 15:17 FRANCE/ RENENS, Eyes on Isimat-Mirin
- 06 Dec 14:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Song for Sale
While searching the transfer market due to Bacary Sagna's likely to happen leaving, Arsenal management have targeted Brazilian international right backwing Rafael Pereira da Silva (23). Currently on a deal with Manchester United until June 2016 and unlikely to leave in...
Intrerviewed by Lancenet.com.br, Lazio and German NT star striker Miroslav Klose (35) talked about his forthcoming future: "I'm on a...
Interviewed by Esport3, Espanyol president Joan Collet has declared about 27 year old goalkeeeper Kiko Casilla: "We want him to remain with...
Asked by Sky Sports UK about Uruguayan international forward Luis Alberto Suarez's (26) forthcoming future, Liverpool manager Brendan...
Interviewed by TMW, Oscar Daniani Junior, agent of Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, has declared: "Napoli have been...
Interviewed by Milliyet, Fenerbahçe winger Milos Krasic, actually on loan at Bastia, has declared: "It's not easy to play in...