REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 16.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 05 Mar 06:15 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I wouldn't mind moving to the US"
- 04 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will stay at least until 2017"
- 03 Mar 15:09 SPAIN, Villa: "Whenever you confront Italy, although is said to be friendly, it never is"
- 03 Mar 05:59 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Three Italian clubs after him, but.."
- 02 Mar 06:29 LEVANTE, Caparros turns out transfer rumours
- 01 Mar 06:19 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? I'm focused on my club"
- 28 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "We are all with Martino"
- 27 Feb 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "That was the perfect game Madrid's 'perfect game'"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I'm not thinking about another club"
- 26 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "City and Real? I'm focused on my club"
- 25 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Muniain: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Deulofeu will be important for this club"
- 23 Feb 09:59 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I am happy here, but.."
- 22 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I want to end my career here"
- 21 Feb 06:19 MALAGA, El Hamdaoui: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 20 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Diego Costa will remain for a long time"
- 19 Feb 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Ac Milan? There is no favourite tonight"
- 19 Feb 10:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "City can cause you problems at any moment"
- 18 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Feb 11:50 ATLETICO MADRID, Suarez: "Milan have a great tradition in this competition"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois's father: "I will talk with Atletico in one month"
- 15 Feb 07:27 OM, Anigo: "Valbuena could leave"
- 14 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I imagine myself at Inter"
- 13 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is not for sale"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Farinos announces his retirement
- 11 Feb 19:30 BARCELONA, Barca chief coy on Messi deal
- 11 Feb 18:16 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I owe nearly everything to Wenger"
- 11 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco unhappy? His moment will come"
- 10 Feb 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Martino: "Rakitic has got potential and qualities for playing for Barça
- 08 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Herrera: "None of us wants to leave"
- 07 Feb 12:15 REAL MADRID, Referee who sent off Ronaldo at Bilbao is suspended for a month
- 07 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Not fascinated by the Serie A"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "The great clubs know that I won't move"
- 05 Feb 06:00 REAL, CR7's agent: "He will end his career in Madrid"
- 04 Feb 06:00 MALAGA, Iakovenko: "The Liga is better than the Serie A"
- 01 Feb 09:29 ATLETICO, Diego: "Happy to be here"
- 31 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I am not leaving"
- 30 Jan 07:00 BETIS, Adan: "Happy to be here"
- 29 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Back to Chelsea, only if.."
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Vargas: "Happy to be here"
- 26 Jan 06:29 BARCELONA, Messi's father: "Don't know anything about PSG"
- 25 Jan 06:00 BETIS, Vadillo's agent: "Some Italian clubs after him"
- 23 Jan 18:30 BARCELONA, Puyol injury confirmed as bruising
- 23 Jan 16:44 BARCELONA, To announce EGM - Rosell set to resign
- 23 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno's agent: "Napoli's first offer has been refused"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "26 millions for Courtois? He is worth them"
- 21 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 12:00 URUGUAY/ PEÑAROL, Two Serie A giants keen on Kevin Méndez
- 07 Mar 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Diego Lopez
- 07 Mar 11:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Suggestion for Yuya Osako
- 07 Mar 11:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Salih Ucan's agent: "AS Roma would be good for him"
- 07 Mar 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Breaking in on Arda Turan
- 07 Mar 10:45 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Rosseti
- 07 Mar 10:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Eyes on D'Alessandro
- 07 Mar 10:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Duel to AC Milan for Perin
- 07 Mar 10:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Survey on Cancelo
- 07 Mar 09:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Still aiming to Dani Parejo
- 07 Mar 09:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Hard duel to Arsenal and United for Ginter
- 07 Mar 09:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, One more Italian titan back for Dzeko
- 07 Mar 09:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Willing to sign Berardi
- 07 Mar 08:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Challenge against Red Devils for Bernat
- 07 Mar 08:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Joining the race for Hinteregger
- 07 Mar 08:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Keen on Rabiot
- 07 Mar 08:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Tough duel from United from Griezmann
- 07 Mar 07:45 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Manolev joins Kuban Krasnodar
- 07 Mar 07:30 MANCHESTER UNITED & TOTTENHAM, Survey on Paletta
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 07 Mar 07:00 PSG, Menez: "In January I decided to stay, in June.."
- 07 Mar 06:45 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "We are not after Lasogga"
- 07 Mar 06:30 SUNDERLAND, Alonso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 07 Mar 06:00 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I don't want to sell the club"
- 07 Mar 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Dani Alves
- 06 Mar 23:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Possible swap with Fiorentina
- 06 Mar 23:30 FRANCE/ SAINT-ETIENNE, Auction for Ruffier
- 06 Mar 23:15 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Lavezzi
- 06 Mar 23:00 FRANCE/ OM, Gomis to replace Gignac
- 06 Mar 22:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also AC Milan after Coentrao
- 06 Mar 22:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Mascherano
- 06 Mar 22:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Adan renews for Betis
- 06 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Mariga unlikely to join
- 06 Mar 21:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead for Gonalons
- 06 Mar 21:30 ARSENAL & UNITED, One more Italian rival insidious on Cerci business
- 06 Mar 21:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Keen on Arda Turan
- 06 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Alexis Sanchez might be the key for catching Cavani
- 06 Mar 20:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Chile was a tough opponent for German NT. It's vital for us to get all fit for World Cup"
- 06 Mar 20:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Survey on Kovacic: possible duel with city rivals Arsenal and Chelsea
- 06 Mar 20:15 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, José Sand joins Argentinos Juniors
- 06 Mar 20:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Wollscheid
- 06 Mar 19:45 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Cristaldo willing to stay
- 06 Mar 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, One more Italian suitor for Lamela
- 06 Mar 19:15 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been looking for a title song"
- 06 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Duel to German giants for Mustafi
- 06 Mar 18:45 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Attempt for Clichy ready
- 06 Mar 18:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Club announce big losses
- 06 Mar 18:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Timo Werner extends for Stuttgart
- 06 Mar 18:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Paços de Ferreira, 2 Serie A clubs keen on Seri
While working on signing Mattia Perin for the future and keeping their eyes on more mature goalies like Federico Marchetti and Stephane Ruffier, AC Milan management are weighing up the chance to try signing Spanish goalkeeper Diego Lopez (32). Former Villarreal player is...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has declared: "I want to rassure our fans, I have no intention to sell the...
Barcelona defender Marc Bartra has declared: "There has been just one Puyol, and there will be only one. I will miss him a lot, from both a...
Fiorentina left back Marcos Alonso, actually on loan at Sunderland, has declared: "I’m very happy here at the moment, with the...
Interviewed by SPORT1, Wolfsburg Sports Director Klaus Allofs has declared about his club's interest for Hertha Berlin 22 year old forward...
Interviewed by France Bleu 107,1, PSG winger Jeremy Menez has declared: "Leaving during the Winter transfer window was not the ideal...