REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 18.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 23 Oct 00:40 BARCELONA, Messi: "I don't compete with Ronaldo, and he doesn't compete with me"
- 22 Oct 10:39 SPAIN, Johan Cruyff diagnosed with lung cancer
- 21 Oct 08:00 REAL MADRID, Varane before PSG clash: "We'll have to control the game in order to defeat them"
- 20 Oct 12:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "We are in good shape, and we can defeat Gent. Happy here, I want to renew"
- 19 Oct 08:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "Sociedad? We did what we needed to do. I'd never celebrate scoring against a club that gave me everything"
- 16 Oct 07:30 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Mestalla audience is picky and impatient, we need to fulfil their expectations"
- 15 Oct 06:59 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos back in squad training
- 14 Oct 10:57 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ronaldo can score more goals"
- 14 Oct 06:30 FC SEVILLE, Tremoulinas: "We succeeded in defeating Barcelona because we worked as a real group"
- 13 Oct 13:04 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar: "Of course I want new Barcelona deal"
- 12 Oct 06:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "Both my gameplaying and my life here changed for the best"
- 09 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi's agent: "Bayern are after him"
- 08 Oct 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "I'm not thinking about Barcelona"
- 07 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I want to stay"
- 02 Oct 23:33 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo is a Blancos legend"
- 02 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "Contacts with Barcelona"
- 01 Oct 19:27 LEVANTE, Simao: "Ready to fight and struggle against Villarreal"
- 01 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Kovacic? He's got the qualities for becoming a champion"
- 30 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I refused to join Porto"
- 29 Sep 18:48 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BARCELONA FC, Rakitic: "We want to win for Leo and for our fans. Our style won't change"
- 29 Sep 17:59 REAL MADRID, 20-man squad for the match against Malmö: Bale out
- 29 Sep 13:15 CHAMPIONS, Barcelona v Leverkusen - Possible lineups: Leo Messi is irreplaceable
- 29 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Tiago: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Sep 13:39 VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Malaga accomplishment: "I'm extremely proud of my players"
- 23 Sep 08:19 BETIS, Joaquin: "Sousa didn't want to let me go"
- 22 Sep 16:00 BARCELONA FC, Medical report on Rafinha after surgery
- 22 Sep 07:00 BARCELONA, Neymar calls Coutinho
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We don't have to pay 10 millions to De Gea"
- 19 Sep 16:00 VALENCIA v BETIS, Liga Matchday 4, Special Preview - Joaquín faces his own past
- 18 Sep 07:29 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Austrian failure: "We were really bad during part of the game"
- 18 Sep 01:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BARCELONA FC (Group E), Suarez: "No need to get upset for the outcome"
- 17 Sep 17:12 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ZENIT (Group H), Hulk: "Important victory for us, Valencia are a great team"
- 17 Sep 00:34 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - VALENCIA (Group H), André Gomes: "We took some risks, and Zenit exploited it"
- 16 Sep 15:43 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - REAL MADRID (Group A), Ronaldo: "Proud of the scoring record reached"
- 16 Sep 15:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - ATLETICO MADRID (Group C), double scorer Griezmann: "We reached a good level, now we need to work and keep it"
- 16 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I'm very happy"
- 16 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - GALATASARAY (Group C), Hamzaoglu: "Atletico are really good. Satisfied with my team's performance in the second half"
- 16 Sep 01:36 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - SHAKHTAR DONETSK (Group A), Lucescu: "Real Madrid's victory is a stolen one"
- 15 Sep 18:12 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - FC SEVILLE v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D): Llorente searching for his first Andalusian header
- 15 Sep 16:23 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - GALATASARAY v ATLETICO MADRID (Group C): fresh start for Podolski
- 15 Sep 15:47 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - REAL MADRID v SHAKHTAR (Group A): Isco from the kick-off
- 13 Sep 10:00 ATLETICO MADRID - BARCELONA FC 1-2, Matchbox: Neymar and Messi respond to Torres
- 11 Sep 17:11 ESPANYOL v REAL MADRID, Special Preview - James Rodriguez surely out
- 11 Sep 08:29 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo to PSG? If they pay a billion..."
- 10 Sep 17:59 BARCELONA FC, Piqué: "I was wearing Buffon shirt during Real Madrid-Juventus, last May"
- 10 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I don't think De Gea will join in January"
- 10 Sep 00:39 BARCELONA FC, Mascherano charged with tax evasion
- 09 Sep 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't want to talk about my future"
- 08 Sep 18:19 REAL MADRID, Indoor training for Modric and Kovacic
- 08 Sep 11:09 REAL MADRID, Benzema happy with Merengues
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 03 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "Happy to stay"
- 02 Sep 10:45 REAL MADRID, Official statement on De Gea's missed transfer
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 31 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar: "I want to play in the Copa America and the Olympics"
- 30 Aug 10:30 MALAGA, Javi Garcia: "I don't understand Darder's departure"
- 27 Aug 08:19 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "I will stay"
- 21 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Everything can happen until August 31"
- 20 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "The transfer market? There is still time"
- 14 Aug 08:29 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 13 Aug 16:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "Pedro would be perfect for Premier"
- 13 Aug 08:19 CELTA, Nolito: "Either I'll return to Barça, or I will stay here"
- 12 Aug 15:29 BARCELONA FC, Pedro: "Leaving? It's a matter of pitch time, not money"
- 12 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I hope Pedro will stay"
- 11 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Llorente? We must wait"
- 10 Aug 11:50 REAL BETIS, Vargas: "Great ambition, I hope to stay for so long"
- 10 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Soon a decision about Asensio"
- 09 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "The market? In August I'm always nervous"
- 08 Aug 06:00 RAYO, Martín Presa: "Zhang's signing has not been imposed"
- 07 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'm attached to my club"
- 06 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 05 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 04 Aug 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "No chances that Osvaldo will join us"
- 03 Aug 11:44 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "We will win when it matters"
- 03 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Garcia: "Happy of our new signings"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, From UK: pantagruelic fee offer to Leo Messi
- 27 Nov 23:28 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Douglas' agent: "All 3 Turkish giants on him. There's already one offer"
- 27 Nov 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mihajlovic admits José Mauri will leave in January
- 27 Nov 22:30 GERMANY/ AUGSBURG, Eyes on Engvall
- 27 Nov 22:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Caballero: "Hart is injured, and that's no good for us. But I have to step in"
- 27 Nov 21:27 ENGLAND/ WBA, Survey on Doucouré
- 27 Nov 20:57 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Still working on winter-signing Iturbe from AS Roma
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 27 Nov 19:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Glik negotiating renewal
- 27 Nov 19:30 ISRAELI/ MACCABI TEL AVIV, 3 Bundesliga clubs surveying Zahavi
- 27 Nov 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Manchester City plan cash offer for Pastore
- 27 Nov 18:00 ENGLAND/ QPR, In talks with Hasselbaink as possible new manager
- 27 Nov 17:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Reopening on Cataldi's loan to Empoli
- 27 Nov 16:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sinama Pongolle joins Dundee United
- 27 Nov 15:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Thiago Carleto resigns from Botafogo
- 27 Nov 14:01 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mou wants Vardy and Dembele
- 27 Nov 13:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We can win Serie A"
- 27 Nov 13:02 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman insists will reject any offers for forward Sadio Mane
- 27 Nov 12:38 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu insists he wants to stay
- 27 Nov 12:19 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Pulis would like to stay for the long term
- 27 Nov 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez and Vardy are like lions"
- 27 Nov 11:40 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New Neymar deal close
- 27 Nov 11:22 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale asking to quit before
- 27 Nov 10:58 ITALY/ INTER, Pirlo is still a market target
- 27 Nov 10:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli against Reds return
- 27 Nov 10:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger is targeting Lars Bender
- 27 Nov 10:15 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Messi in big-money City move
- 27 Nov 09:57 ITALY/ INTER, Sevilla and Sporting Lisbona interested in Ranocchia
- 27 Nov 00:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Possible winter attempt for Ranocchia due to Andreolli's injury
- 26 Nov 23:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on Caldara
- 26 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Bilic wants Gökhan Töre again with him
- 26 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Working on getting Benatia back
- 26 Nov 20:00 UAE/ AL-WAHDA, Back for Amauri
- 26 Nov 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Marsh to Wednesday
- 26 Nov 19:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Suggestion for Marcelo Toscano
- 26 Nov 18:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Alégué
- 26 Nov 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland loan Bridcutt to Leeds
- 26 Nov 17:29 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Winter suggestion for Van Persie
- 26 Nov 16:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kingsley joins Swansea City back
- 26 Nov 16:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bruno Peres renews for Torino
- 26 Nov 16:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Done for Osvaldo's return
- 26 Nov 15:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Culpi resigns from Atletico Mineiro
- 26 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: bargain hunter
- 26 Nov 13:27 LEICESTER CITY & WBA, Eyes on Darikwa
- 26 Nov 12:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Lead over Werder on Lezcano
- 26 Nov 12:29 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Abramovich wants Ribéry
- 26 Nov 11:59 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Willing to bring Juan back
- 26 Nov 11:30 SWITZERLAND/ YOUNG BOYS, Planning to get Michael Frey back
- 26 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? No way, I love Toffees". Sums and situation
- 26 Nov 10:27 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Leroy Fer might join back in January
According to what reported by The Sun, Manchester City have submitted Barcelona FC and Argentinian NT star forward Lionel Messi (28), four times Ballon d'Or winner (all the editions from 2009 to 2012) and recordman of any kinds, both on an individual and a team level, an
Napoli captain Marek Hamsik admitted the team's exploits this season have taken him by surprise, but he feels his side can mount a
As reported on Real Madrid official site, French star centre-back Raphaël Varane fell victim of an injury, which, according to news on Spanish me
Summoned to replace Joe Hart during latest Champions League game against Juventus, due to the latter's injury, Willy Caballero, appointed as Manch
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi