REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We're going to fight for each match"
10.08.2012 18.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
José Mourinho faces his third season leading Real Madrid. He does it "excited after two years in which this team has gone from strength to strength and has always won a title". One day shy of concluding the American tour, the White's coach reflected on the pre-season and analysed the campaign about to commence with the first fixture of la Liga against Valencia August 19 in the Santiago Bernabéu. "We're going to fight for each match and each title with all our might. You can't promise more because there are factors that you can't control. This sport is and always will be a game and games are unpredictable. I like reducing this uncertainty to an absolute minimum and having Real Madrid win many more times than not. We want to want to win titles again and return to Cibeles, which is the best end to a season you can have".
What's your assessment of Real Madrid's tour in the United States?
It hasn't finished yet, but it's going well. We worked hard and well in the first period and later the games have turned out how we wanted them to. The first fixture was against an American team that was more worried about playing well and allowing good play. The next match was more complicated, more competitive and intense, against a Mexican team. Later, we played a top level European team in a stadium that we new would bring motivation on the one hand and responsibility on the other. It was good for us and now we're going to finish by playing a team with a completely different profile that plays a British style of football. We're playing well, once again putting together the pieces of a machine that was already working well and trying to step up our intensity and confidence. We're preparing ourselves as best as possible to start well.
Many players have pointed out that this team is well established and that two years of work are paying off. Is this team really so united?
It helps when people know each other and get on well together. The players might have been together for a long time but if there's no empathy and pleasure in working together you have a bigger problem than when you're putting together a group. We all get along well, we know each other well both on a personal level and in terms of football. They know the way I work and my ideas and I know them, their great qualities and the small problems that always exist. We're excited about our third year after two in which we've gone from strength to strength and have always won a title. Last year's was more important than the one the year before. That's where we are and it's a shame that the national teams are leaving us in a complicated situation next week before the championship begins. That's the calendar. We knew about it months ago and we've tried to organise the pre-season in a balanced way so that the players can start, perhaps not all-out, but well.
Much has been said about the goal-fest against Milan and the play deployed by your team. Did José Mourinho expect Real Madrid to respond in this way at this stage in the preparation?
We played well. We won the match and I think that for the players the stadium was an additional motivating factor. The stadium was packed with fans and people that feel a special connection to the team because they don't live in Spain. Another motivating factor was the reputation of our rivals and we played all-out and prepared really well. The result is rewarding but not essential. What's essential is that we play well and we did it at a level at which we played many times last season. They are small factors that add to the confidence this team already has.
In the game against Milan, were we seeing the Real Madrid of Mourinho's third year?
I don't know. We played the first half well against a very closed team that came on with very defensive play and many players at the back. It made us think about our play. That's going to happen to us a lot with teams that are going to lock down against us. When we scored the second goal in the second half and they wanted to attack, the game profile changed. They played more offensively, leaving a lot of space for our transitions. It was a rich game in a tactical sense to train us.
There are many people that wonder why you enjoy coming to the United States so much for the pre-season. In New York, in the Yankee Stadium, we saw many reasons to do it...
The people that ask me that only do so once. The president asked me and after coming he's never asked me again. This time he came with us and we've loved having him. He's not going to ask me again why I want to come because he's going to enjoy coming back himself. With the exception of Philadelphia, where we knew what the temperature would be like, the climate is perfect for working. The organisation is perfect, the matches are good, the stadiums and the fans motivational. We promote Real Madrid in an important market, we promote football in a country where it isn't the top sport. I also think it's good for the club economically... It's also perfect for the players on the Spanish national team because they're going to stay and head from here to Costa Rica, which is much closer than if they had to return to Europe and it saves them some hours of travel. It's perfect for everyone and it's a great experience. I've been doing it for seven years and I want to continue because I like it a lot. Whoever comes never asks again.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayŕ will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayŕ's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayŕ going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayŕ's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 10 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We need no new players"
- 09 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "A new contract? If the club wants to.."
- 08 Jan 13:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was a bit tired"
- 08 Jan 09:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "Atletico played the long ball and used dirty tricks"
- 08 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, ter Stegen: "I want to succeed here"
- 07 Jan 15:54 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Messi? Things that go on in the dressing room stay there"
- 07 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No offers for Oliver Torres"
- 05 Jan 20:34 BARCELONA, Messi misses training with stomach illness
- 05 Jan 19:30 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "There is a lot left to play for in the league"
- 05 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I could move back to France"
- 04 Jan 07:29 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "The contract expiring is really not my problem"
- 03 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "My future is here"
- 01 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I want to end my career at River, but.."
- 31 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Bale won't leave"
- 30 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The new contract? No problem"
- 29 Dec 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "A couple of players could join"
- 31 Mar 06:59 BAYERN, Bernat: "I think Alaba will remain with us"
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "It's not time for me to leave"
- 30 Mar 23:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco sign Biancucchi
- 30 Mar 22:57 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Also Atletico after Firmino
- 30 Mar 22:29 ITALY/ GENOA, Lestienne intended to leave
- 30 Mar 21:59 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Idea Ismael Sosa
- 30 Mar 21:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Willems renews with Charleroi
- 30 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on Pastore
- 30 Mar 20:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Matulevicius
- 30 Mar 20:17 FRANCE/ OM, Auction for Gignac
- 30 Mar 19:59 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Auction for Bruma
- 30 Mar 19:39 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for Cerri
- 30 Mar 19:20 GERMANY/ 1. FC KOLN, Eyes on Marques
- 30 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Back for Neto
- 30 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos' renewal on stand-by
- 30 Mar 18:30 ITALY/ INTER, Podolski could leave.
- 30 Mar 18:21 ENGLAND/ WIGAN, Offer pro deals
- 30 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Barcelona want Bellerin back
- 30 Mar 17:48 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Vertonghen
- 30 Mar 17:36 ITALY/ TORINO, Duel to Empoli and Palermo on Viviani
- 30 Mar 17:24 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tracking Naismith
- 30 Mar 17:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy more and more likely to join Genoa back on loan
- 30 Mar 17:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter scouting Nabil Fekir
- 30 Mar 16:48 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Torosidis as a counterpart for signing Bruno Peres from Torino
- 30 Mar 16:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Tottenham on youngster Ben Kennedy
- 30 Mar 16:24 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio wants to stay
- 30 Mar 16:12 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Gross on target
- 30 Mar 16:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Pedro for sale: accepting offers over 20 million euros
- 30 Mar 15:48 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Mitrovic's agent: "Discussing on transfer market, but he might not leave"
- 30 Mar 15:36 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, 2 Serie A rivals towards Phibel
- 30 Mar 15:24 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka's renewal gets harder
- 30 Mar 15:12 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Dreaming of Oscar: attempt ready for Chelsea star
- 30 Mar 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma surveying Van Der Wiel
- 30 Mar 14:45 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Eyes on Camarasa
- 30 Mar 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back tracking Wanyama
- 30 Mar 14:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Keen on Glik
- 30 Mar 14:00 ITALY/ INTER, Handanovic's agent: "Negotiating on renewal, no talks with AS Roma"
- 30 Mar 13:45 FRANCE/ O.L., Umtiti offered to Atletico Madrid
- 30 Mar 13:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Steps forward towards Mavuba
- 30 Mar 13:16 BRAZIL/ INTERNACIONAL, Aranguiz: "Arsenal? That would be a dream"
- 30 Mar 13:00 SPAIN/ REAL BETIS, Approaching Christofer Gonzales
- 30 Mar 12:47 PSG & INTER, Duel for Sao Paulo youngster Paulo Henrique
- 30 Mar 12:33 ITALY/ PALERMO, Arsenal, Man. City and Chelsea have all made enquiries for Dybala
- 30 Mar 12:24 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Eye on Hummels
- 30 Mar 11:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo veteran Magnanelli more and more likely to extend
- 30 Mar 11:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, To plan raid for Sterling
- 30 Mar 11:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Also Gomez on the wishlist
- 30 Mar 10:40 GERMANY/ HAMBURG. Tuchel remains an option
Having left Barcelona FC cantera in summer 2011 for joining Arsenal Academy, Spanish Under-21 international right backwing Hector Bellerin (20), who's currently on a deal with Gunners until June 2017 and possibly extending long-term soon, has been targeted back by Catalunyan
Interviewed by Rai, Fiorentina 29-year-old striker Mario Gomez has declared: "It's not time for me to leave Fiorentina, first I have to help
Interviewed by Globoesporte, Real Madrid 22-year-old midfielder Lucas Silva has declared about the possibility to be loaned to Porto: "I don'
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates has told Sky Sports News HQ: "There are some obvious things we want to do. We would like to extend Asmir Begovic
PSG Director of Football Dani Alves has declared about the imminent signing of 31-year-old right back Dani Alves: "He is a great player, as well
Bayern Munich 22-year-old left wingback Juan Bernat has declared about his team mate David Alaba, considered a target for Real Madrid: "I don'