ARSENAL, Giroud: "Be patient and I will deliver goals"
20.08.2012 14.30 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Olivier Giroud has called for patience as he begins his Arsenal career - and says he should not be compared to Robin van Persie.
The France international moved to Emirates Stadium this summer after a superb season with Montpellier, where he scored 21 goals as they won the Ligue 1 title.
The 25-year-old had a late opportunity against Sunderland on Saturday, and while he was disappointed to miss the chance he remains confident he will get off the mark soon.
“Yes, it was a game ball... the ball came from behind and I didn’t have much time to take in the information. I didn’t know if the keeper had come out quickly or not,” Giroud said.
“If it had been on my left foot, I probably would have taken more time. It was on the right foot... that’s all. I'll have to work my right foot.
“It could have been the dream start. In Montpellier, I did not score in my first game, so I'm not worried. I will have plenty of chances here and I will score. For a striker, scoring goals is very important. It gives a little bit more confidence.”
Giroud - along with Lukas Podolski - will fill the void left by Van Persie’s departure, but he insists he is a different player to the former Arsenal striker.
“It is up to me to succeed. I’m not here to make people forget Robin,” said Giroud. “He has made beautiful things here but I just want to bring something new.
“People are clever enough to know that Robin took a lot of space here. His last season was wonderful. But before that, he took time to settle.
“So I'm just asking people to be a little patient with me. I know Arsenal is a great club and needs a striker ready and efficient quickly.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 Apr 06:15 WEST HAM, Armero: "I am happy here, but.."
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong AtlÚtico have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 25 Apr 06:30 FREIBURG, Saier: "We hope to keep Mehmedi"
- 25 Apr 06:15 WEST HAM, Armero: "I am happy here, but.."
- 25 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic's agent: "No contacts with Lazio"
- 25 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We want to keep Pogba"
- 24 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ INTER, Nani farther
- 24 Apr 23:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Hummels closer
- 24 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ ROMA, Toloi and Bastos could leave
- 24 Apr 22:39 FRANCE/ MONACO, Conte unlikely to join
- 24 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ LAZIO, Three names for the bench
- 24 Apr 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Interest for Cuadrado confirmed
- 24 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Silva
- 24 Apr 21:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, De Sciglio is not a priority
- 24 Apr 20:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Back for dos Santos
- 24 Apr 20:39 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Two English clubs after Tottenham
- 24 Apr 20:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL Torino sign Jansson
- 24 Apr 20:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also Juventus after Morata
- 24 Apr 19:37 ITALY/ LAZIO, Minala likely to renew
- 24 Apr 19:17 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Auction for Rafa Silva
- 24 Apr 18:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Lead for Tajti
- 24 Apr 18:39 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Also Newcastle after Djuric
- 24 Apr 18:20 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Sosa could be signed on permanent basis
- 24 Apr 18:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Idea Angella
- 24 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Borussia after Mustafi
- 24 Apr 17:30 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Sasha renews with Internacional
- 24 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Offer for Candreva ready
- 24 Apr 17:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Uchida likely to renew
- 24 Apr 16:44 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "The team has found its identity "
- 24 Apr 16:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Wolfsburg, Ivica Olic pens new deal
- 24 Apr 16:02 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Arrives the young Vermijl
- 24 Apr 15:44 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hoffenheim, Beck extended until 2017
- 24 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04: Duel to AC Milan, United and Tottenham for Paletta
- 24 Apr 15:15 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Attempt for Welbeck ready
- 24 Apr 15:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, A Russian rival towards Calhanoglu
- 24 Apr 14:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Timo Horn as a possible heir Weidenfeller
- 24 Apr 14:32 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Set to move for David Luiz after transfer ban lifted
- 24 Apr 14:15 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Jung and Sorg are the new targets
- 24 Apr 13:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger is planning a huge summer spending spree
- 24 Apr 13:47 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Roy Keane to assist Louis van Gaal
- 24 Apr 13:31 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Thinking about players for replacing Tim Krul
- 24 Apr 13:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Monaco offering Riviere
- 24 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, KeitÓ announces: "I won't move"
- 24 Apr 12:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir in Madrid: working on Morata
- 24 Apr 12:33 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola. "Team showed a lot of strength against Real"
- 24 Apr 12:16 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Cristiano made an effort to play"
- 24 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "The tie is still open. There are 90 hard minutes still to play in Munich"
- 24 Apr 11:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 11:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "I expected a little bit more from Madrid"
- 24 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Close in on PSG star Cavani
- 24 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, A Premier League suitor for Cleverley
- 24 Apr 10:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Galvez about to be announced
Set to leave Parma on an about 13 million euros payment and already tracked hard by AC Milan, Manchester United and Tottenham, Italian international centre-back Gabriel Paletta (28), according to gianlucadimarzio.com, has become a primary target also for Schalke 04....
Interviewed by Mediaset before the game against Benfica, Juventus Chief Executive Giuseppe Marotta has declared: "We also have to be...
Interviewed by cittaceleste.it, Dejan Rakitic, brother and agent of Sevilla FC midfielder Ivan Rakitic, has declared: "He is admired in...
Napoli full back Pablo Armero, actually on loan at West Ham, has declared: "The truth is I feel very happy here in England and at West Ham....
Interviewed by Kicker, SC Freiburg Sports Director Jochen Saier has declared about 23 year old striker Admir Mehmedi, actually on loan from...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....