ARSENAL, Giroud: "Be patient and I will deliver goals"
20.08.2012 14.30 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Olivier Giroud has called for patience as he begins his Arsenal career - and says he should not be compared to Robin van Persie.
The France international moved to Emirates Stadium this summer after a superb season with Montpellier, where he scored 21 goals as they won the Ligue 1 title.
The 25-year-old had a late opportunity against Sunderland on Saturday, and while he was disappointed to miss the chance he remains confident he will get off the mark soon.
“Yes, it was a game ball... the ball came from behind and I didn’t have much time to take in the information. I didn’t know if the keeper had come out quickly or not,” Giroud said.
“If it had been on my left foot, I probably would have taken more time. It was on the right foot... that’s all. I'll have to work my right foot.
“It could have been the dream start. In Montpellier, I did not score in my first game, so I'm not worried. I will have plenty of chances here and I will score. For a striker, scoring goals is very important. It gives a little bit more confidence.”
Giroud - along with Lukas Podolski - will fill the void left by Van Persie’s departure, but he insists he is a different player to the former Arsenal striker.
“It is up to me to succeed. I’m not here to make people forget Robin,” said Giroud. “He has made beautiful things here but I just want to bring something new.
“People are clever enough to know that Robin took a lot of space here. His last season was wonderful. But before that, he took time to settle.
“So I'm just asking people to be a little patient with me. I know Arsenal is a great club and needs a striker ready and efficient quickly.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 06:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 18:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 06:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 06:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 06:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 14:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 13:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 07:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 06:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 06:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 06:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "Itís so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 16:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 06:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 06:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 19:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 18:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I canít remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 09:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave BarÁa for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 16:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 17:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "LŲw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 16:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 11:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
- 23 Jul 10:05 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Brahimi
- 23 Jul 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mathieu joins Barcelona
- 23 Jul 09:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Agreement with Nice for Ospina
- 23 Jul 09:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Waasland-Beveren sign Sawaneh
- 23 Jul 08:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marveaux joins Guingamp
- 23 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Vangioni
- 23 Jul 08:15 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Ingebrigtsen is Rosenborg new coach
- 23 Jul 08:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Napoli's offer for Suarez refused
- 23 Jul 07:45 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiacos sign Masuaku
- 23 Jul 07:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Ferreira Carrasco
- 23 Jul 07:15 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Mordovia sign Le Tallec
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 23 Jul 06:45 MONACO, Vasilyev: "We didn't want to sell Rodriguez"
- 23 Jul 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Hummels to United for 20 millions? Forget it"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 23:45 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Interest for Piazon
- 22 Jul 23:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Contacts for Eto'o
- 22 Jul 23:15 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL. Idea Samuel
- 22 Jul 23:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for M'Poku
- 22 Jul 22:45 FRANCE/ MONACO, Offer for Cerci ready
- 22 Jul 22:30 ITALY/ INTER, Agreement for Medel
- 22 Jul 22:15 SPAIN/ GETAFE, Michel about to join
- 22 Jul 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Empoli sign Guarente
- 22 Jul 21:45 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Offer for Robinho
- 22 Jul 21:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR sign Caulker
- 22 Jul 21:15 ITALY/ INTER, Plan for Bacca
- 22 Jul 21:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Juventus on Nastasic
- 22 Jul 20:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, A new suitor for Borriello
- 22 Jul 20:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, 3 new Brazilian suitors for Robinho
- 22 Jul 20:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, In touch with Camacho
- 22 Jul 20:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Independiente sign Lucero on long-term deal
- 22 Jul 19:45 QATAR/ LEKWHIYA, Duel to Liverpool for signing Bony: Laudrup wants him back
- 22 Jul 19:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Magnusson about to join Cesena on loan
- 22 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mario Arques joins Elche
- 22 Jul 19:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: New lead over Everton, Wolfsburg and Juventus on Lukaku
- 22 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Steps forward towards Armero
- 22 Jul 18:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bojan Krkic joins Stoke City
- 22 Jul 18:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Pasalic out to Elche
- 22 Jul 18:15 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Sinan Bolat
- 22 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Vrsaljko joins Sassuolo
- 22 Jul 17:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Berlusconi and Inzaghi agree on signing Cerci
- 22 Jul 17:30 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW- Not only USA, offers also from Mexico for Robinho
- 22 Jul 17:14 ENGLAND, Liverpool join Arsenal in race to sign Manquillo
- 22 Jul 17:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 16:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi: still in blaugrana
- 22 Jul 16:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE UNITED, Willing to let Sylvain Marveaux go
Jeremy Mathieu is a player of Barcelona. For him a 4-year deal with an option for an annual extesion with a buy-out clause about 50 million euros. Blaugrana paid him 20 million euros.
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...