ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Jun 10:26 TOTTENHAM defender Vertonghen welcomes Wanyama
- 18 Jun 20:05 OFFICIAL - Davis extends for Southampton
- 16 Jun 17:58 LEICESTER - Simpson: "We want to improve next season"
- 16 Jun 17:31 BURNLEY to face RANGERS in friendly match
- 15 Jun 21:15 SOUTHAMPTON - Frank De Boer close to become new manager
- 15 Jun 18:00 CHELSEA, Pedro: "I'd like to end my career at Barça"
- 14 Jun 17:16 LEICESTER defender Wasilewski signed a new contract
- 13 Jun 16:30 LEICESTER CITY, Simpson: "I told Vardy he should stay. No money can buy our bond, it's a special group"
- 13 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA, Hazard: "My last season was a failure, and I'm staying put. Conte? Happy to play against him"
- 12 Jun 15:34 WATFORD - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:42 WBA - Three players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:22 NORWICH - Eight players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:46 SWANSEA - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:20 SUNDERLAND - Seven players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:04 STOKE CITY - Eight players have been released
- 10 Jun 17:14 ARSENAL - Wenger: "I admire and like N'Golo Kante a lot"
- 09 Jun 20:43 ENGLAND - Hart: "I fully believe in the guys we have got"
- 09 Jun 14:36 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford: "It doesn't seem real"
- 09 Jun 14:09 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Rooney has been England's best"
- 08 Jun 15:48 ENGLAND - Lallana: "Important to get a good start"
- 07 Jun 18:48 ENGLAND - Sturridge: "Age not an issue at Euro 2016"
- 07 Jun 16:58 ENGLAND - Kane: "Vardy and I kept the faith"
- 06 Jun 17:16 ENGLAND - Milner: "We need to win our first game"
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
After having introduced Nicolas N'Koulou as Olympique Lyon's new signing, Ligue 1 giants owner, Jean-Michel Aulas, asked about 22 years old French international centre-back Samuel Umtiti's future, stated:
"As we did in the past when Benzema joined Real Ma
Attending his first press conference as Juventus player, 33 years old Brazilian star Dani Alves stated:
"I chose 23 as my number, same one as
Villarreal announced having extended their deals with former Italian international defensive all-rounder Daniele Bonera (35), until June 2017, an
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
After having introduced Nicolas N'Koulou as Olympique Lyon's new signing, Ligue 1 giants owner, Jean-Michel Aulas, asked about 22 years o
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici