ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 10.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong AtlÚtico have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 24 Apr 13:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger is planning a huge summer spending spree
- 24 Apr 13:47 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Roy Keane to assist Louis van Gaal
- 24 Apr 13:31 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Thinking about players for replacing Tim Krul
- 24 Apr 13:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Monaco offering Riviere
- 24 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, KeitÓ announces: "I won't move"
- 24 Apr 12:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir in Madrid: working on Morata
- 24 Apr 12:33 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola. "Team showed a lot of strength against Real"
- 24 Apr 12:16 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Cristiano made an effort to play"
- 24 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "The tie is still open. There are 90 hard minutes still to play in Munich"
- 24 Apr 11:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 11:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "I expected a little bit more from Madrid"
- 24 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Close in on PSG star Cavani
- 24 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, A Premier League suitor for Cleverley
- 24 Apr 10:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Galvez about to be announced
- 24 Apr 10:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Transfer market reopens: working on Vidal
- 24 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Suggestion for Paulinho
- 24 Apr 10:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Luke Shaw set to join
- 24 Apr 09:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Calum Chambers more and more likely to join
- 24 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese keen on Gino Peruzzi
- 24 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, Dreaming of bringing Destro back
- 24 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Victor Moses announces coming back from Liverpool
- 24 Apr 08:45 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL SALZBURG, Amartey about to join
- 24 Apr 08:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Approaching Mustafi
- 24 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back on Antonelli
- 24 Apr 08:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Furth sign Cinar
- 24 Apr 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Two players leave Vaduz
- 24 Apr 07:17 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Papadopoulos injured
- 24 Apr 06:57 OM, Thauvin: "I am happy here"
- 24 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 24 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 24 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Marchetti: "My future? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Zenit after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 23:17 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Lead for Gourcuff
- 23 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Shaqiri unlikely to join
- 23 Apr 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Still keen on Verratti
- 23 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Agazzi might be the key for signing Perin
- 23 Apr 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma make steps forward towards Vertonghen
- 23 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Several clubs after him, but he's happy in Rome"
- 23 Apr 20:59 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Approaching Karaman
- 23 Apr 20:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bierofka quits and becomes Munich 1860 youth trainer
- 23 Apr 20:20 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, 2 Spanish Liga suitors for Carbonero
- 23 Apr 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Diouf offered by 2 Serie A clubs
- 23 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Bastos to Hannover?
- 23 Apr 19:30 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S OLD BOYS, Trezeguet's agent: "He dreams to end his own career in Italy"
- 23 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 19:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Agreement with Baumann
- 23 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Vrsaljko
- 23 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to renew
Arsene Wenger will sign a new Arsenal contract, and is proving it by planning a huge spending spree in the summer transfer window.
Wenger has left Arsenal in no doubt that he is staying because he is lining up big transfer targets as he looks to strengthen his squad...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti has declared: "Certain medias said that I wanted to leave in January, and I...
Karim Benzema told UEFA.com that although a big test awaits in Munich next Tuesday, Real Madrid CF's chances of reaching the UEFA Champions...
Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo has declared: "When you think Arsenal, you think Thierry Henry and I grew up watching him and he made me dream....
Josep Guardiola recognised FC Bayern München will need to "crank up a gear or two" in next week's return.
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....