ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 29 Apr 08:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Benatia more and more likely to join
- 29 Apr 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "Several important clubs on him, but not it's time for the pitch"
- 29 Apr 08:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea call Piazon and Hector back
- 29 Apr 08:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, James Rodriguez's agent working on future away from Blancos: in talks with 2 top clubs
- 29 Apr 01:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, One more suitor for Sule
- 29 Apr 01:15 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Crecco on target
- 29 Apr 01:00 HOLLAND/ AJAX, El Ghazi wants Premier League: Liverpool probing waters
- 29 Apr 00:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 29 Apr 00:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Moving towards Parigini
- 29 Apr 00:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Bradley Dack
- 29 Apr 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Santon towards departure: 5 suitors for him
- 28 Apr 23:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina willing to hijack Budimir from Lazio
- 28 Apr 23:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Fritz renews for Werder one year longer
- 28 Apr 23:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cash amount ready for signing Rudiger
- 28 Apr 23:02 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Willing to use option for bringing Danny Da Costa back from Ingolstadt
- 28 Apr 22:49 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Van Aanholt
- 28 Apr 22:22 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shay Logan renews for Aberdeen
- 28 Apr 21:56 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA FC (FT)
- 28 Apr 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool Full-Time report
- 28 Apr 21:47 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA
- 28 Apr 21:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo, duel to Torino on Ferrari
- 28 Apr 21:15 BARCELONA - Target Lacazette
- 28 Apr 21:03 SPAIN/ LAS PALMAS, Roque Mesa's agent: "Fiorentina? Yes, they are interested. Several surveys from England, Germany and Italy"
- 28 Apr 20:57 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2- 1 SEVILLA (HT)
- 28 Apr 20:53 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 0-0 Liverpool Half-Time report
- 28 Apr 20:49 INTER MILAN - Rumours of Toure link put down
- 28 Apr 20:28 CHELSEA - Recall two players
- 28 Apr 20:03 BARCELONA - Turan wants to stay
- 28 Apr 19:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Ancelotti wants Pjanic: duel to past club of his Chelsea
- 28 Apr 19:43 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal v Liverpool Official Line-Ups
- 28 Apr 19:20 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Hummels makes desire to move official
- 28 Apr 17:57 ASTON VILLA - Black: "I've never seen a team surrounded by such negativity"
- 28 Apr 17:40 WATFORD - Sanchez Flores: "At the end of the season we will talk"
- 28 Apr 17:21 ROMA - El Shaarawy wants to stay
- 28 Apr 17:18 TOTTENHAM - Eriksen extension depends on Pochettino's future
- 28 Apr 16:56 LIVERPOOL - Keeping tabs on Ivan Perisic
- 28 Apr 16:43 TORINO - Paredes first target
- 28 Apr 16:28 ARSENAL - Kante for Arsenal
- 28 Apr 16:00 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster not thinking about Chelsea rumours
- 28 Apr 15:32 EVERTON - Jagielka could miss rest of season
- 28 Apr 15:12 TOTTENHAM - Alli accepts FA charge of violent conduct
- 28 Apr 14:40 FA CUP - Clattenburg to referee Cup final
- 28 Apr 14:10 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "The best goal of my career"
- 28 Apr 13:52 EVERTON - Martinez: "I should be under scrutiny"
- 28 Apr 13:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp:"The best news is Christian is back"
- 28 Apr 12:59 MANCHESTER UNITED - Benfica in Manchester to discuss over Renato Sanchez
- 28 Apr 12:46 ROMA - Pjanic or Nainggolan to leave
- 28 Apr 12:31 LEVERKUSEN - Leno to Barça?
- 28 Apr 12:22 ROMA - Caceres in the spotlight
- 28 Apr 12:10 BARCELONA - Bartra to leave
Likely to leave Bayern Munich after two seasons, unless Carlo Ancelotti unexpectedly calls his yield off, Moroccan international centre-back Medhi Benatia (29) is getting more and more likely to join Juventus, which will probably succeed in landing him on an about 20 million
Stephan El Shaarawy told Alain: "Roma has ben the right choice. Walter Sabatini helped me and I have a great feeling with support
In the post-match interview with AS, Atletico Madrid's Saul Niguez insists it was the best goal of his career last night against Bayern Munich.
Interim Aston Villa manager Eric Black told reporters ahead of their game this weekend: "My wife said not to take it, sh
Rennes managed a late goal to draw the game at home to Monaco.
RENNES 1 - 1 MONACO
Sio 81' Costa 14
According to Marca Barcelona are interested in signing Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno.
Blaugrana have reportedly targeted the 24-