ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 Jul 14:44 ARSENAL - Wenger: "With Per being out, we are a bit short"
- 26 Jul 21:01 NEWCASTLE - Tiote in talks with Al Jazira
- 26 Jul 20:00 ARSENAL - Wenger about Holding: "He’s a young, promising centre back"
- 26 Jul 18:33 LEICESTER are looking to sign Bartosz Kapustka
- 26 Jul 16:18 ARSENAL - Mertesacker out for up to five months
- 25 Jul 18:48 ARSENAL - Mertesacker not taking part into US tour
- 25 Jul 14:03 MARSEILLE - In talks with SWANSEA on Bafetimbi Gomis
- 24 Jul 23:05 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "Our target is to win the Premier League"
- 23 Jul 21:17 SWANSEA keen on Joe Allen
- 22 Jul 19:45 STEVE BRUCE to replace Allardyce at Sunderland
- 22 Jul 19:13 LIVERPOOL sign Alex Manninger
- 22 Jul 12:29 CHELSEA midfielder Christensen wants first-team play
- 22 Jul 12:00 CHELSEA win 8-0 in a friendly with local team
- 21 Jul 22:30 CHELSEA - Conte: "I want to make the fans proud of us"
- 21 Jul 20:32 LEICESTER have rejected bid for Jeffrey Schlupp
- 21 Jul 18:46 OFFICIAL - WIMMER extends deal with TOTTENHAM
- 20 Jul 22:33 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte reveals the name of his new forward
- 20 Jul 17:30 LEICESTER CITY - Cicinho: "Ranieri was lucky to win Premier"
- 20 Jul 15:45 STOKE CITY interested in signing Ecuadorian striker Angulo
- 20 Jul 10:00 NEWCASTLE agree Hanley fee
- 19 Jul 22:02 WATFORD are looking to sign Djedje
- 19 Jul 20:01 NEWCASTLE - Georginio Wijnaldum wants to play for Liverpool
- 19 Jul 19:09 STOKE CITY are looking to sign Saido Berahino
- 19 Jul 17:04 CHELSEA have shown interest in Marco Parolo
- 19 Jul 14:14 NEWCASTLE - Sissoko: "My priority is to stay in England, but..."
- 18 Jul 14:31 LIVERPOOL - Joe Allen linked with MAN UTD
- 18 Jul 14:02 EVERTON close to sign William Carvalho
- 18 Jul 11:31 WEST HAM and LEICESTER want Wissam Ben Yedder
- 16 Jul 22:31 MAN CITY have shown interest in Jeroen Zoet
- 16 Jul 20:08 WEST HAM - Sakho refuses to go on pre-season tour
- 16 Jul 19:07 SPURS show interest on MARSEILLE winger N'KOUDOU
- 16 Jul 12:37 STOKE CITY, Shaqiri: "A move to DORTMUND? Not a chance, i'm staying with Potters"
- 14 Jul 19:44 OFFICIAL - Ben Mee extends for BURNLEY
- 13 Jul 12:13 SOUTHAMPTON - Davis appointed as the club's new Football Development Executive
- 13 Jul 09:20 BREAKING NEWS - Allardyce interviewed for England job
- 12 Jul 18:17 MANCHESTER UNITED star Rooney looking forward to next season
- 12 Jul 16:06 OFFICIAL - Potters' veteran Whelan extends for STOKE CITY
- 12 Jul 15:34 OFFICIAL - Ryan BERTRAND extends long-term for Southampton
- 12 Jul 14:15 ARSENAL - Ultimatum for Thierry Henry
- 11 Jul 20:23 SWANSEA CITY sign with young George Byers
- 11 Jul 18:51 LIVERPOOL - Benteke wants to stay at Liverpool
- 08 Jul 14:21 OFFICIAL - SWANSEA gives a three-years-extension to Adam King
- 08 Jul 13:00 LIVERPOOL - Klopp about his renewal: "We are very much at the start of our journey"
- 05 Jul 17:59 ARSENAL - Wenger: "Brexit will impact on Premier League in long term"
- 02 Jul 17:42 OFFICIAL - GIGGS leaves UNITED after 29 seasons
- 01 Jul 22:17 OFFICIAL - 2 youngsters extend for Chelsea
- 24 Jun 10:26 TOTTENHAM defender Vertonghen welcomes Wanyama
- 18 Jun 20:05 OFFICIAL - Davis extends for Southampton
- 16 Jun 17:58 LEICESTER - Simpson: "We want to improve next season"
- 16 Jun 17:31 BURNLEY to face RANGERS in friendly match
- 15 Jun 21:15 SOUTHAMPTON - Frank De Boer close to become new manager
- 15 Jun 18:00 CHELSEA, Pedro: "I'd like to end my career at Barça"
- 14 Jun 17:16 LEICESTER defender Wasilewski signed a new contract
- 13 Jun 16:30 LEICESTER CITY, Simpson: "I told Vardy he should stay. No money can buy our bond, it's a special group"
- 13 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA, Hazard: "My last season was a failure, and I'm staying put. Conte? Happy to play against him"
- 12 Jun 15:34 WATFORD - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:42 WBA - Three players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:22 NORWICH - Eight players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:46 SWANSEA - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:20 SUNDERLAND - Seven players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:04 STOKE CITY - Eight players have been released
- 10 Jun 17:14 ARSENAL - Wenger: "I admire and like N'Golo Kante a lot"
- 09 Jun 20:43 ENGLAND - Hart: "I fully believe in the guys we have got"
- 09 Jun 14:36 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford: "It doesn't seem real"
- 09 Jun 14:09 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Rooney has been England's best"
- 08 Jun 15:48 ENGLAND - Lallana: "Important to get a good start"
- 07 Jun 18:48 ENGLAND - Sturridge: "Age not an issue at Euro 2016"
- 07 Jun 16:58 ENGLAND - Kane: "Vardy and I kept the faith"
- 06 Jun 17:16 ENGLAND - Milner: "We need to win our first game"
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 27 Jul 18:13 MANCHESTER CITY - Guardiola: "Fernandinho can play in ten different positions"
- 27 Jul 17:39 SWANSEA - made an enquiry for Leicester Ulloa
- 27 Jul 17:23 OFFICIAL - LIVERPOOL - Brad Smith signs 4-year deal with BOURNEMOUTH
- 27 Jul 16:56 MANCHESTER CITY - Guardiola: "My players cannot be overweight"
- 27 Jul 16:27 BARCELONA - Neymar: "Messi is the best in the world, I want to depend on him"
- 27 Jul 15:54 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mkhitaryan: "My father is my inspiration"
- 27 Jul 15:22 LIVERPOOL - Wijnaldum: "I didn't like football until my grandma intervened"
- 27 Jul 15:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu about André Gomes: "Very happy to have you with us"
- 27 Jul 14:51 PHOTOS&VIDEO - HIGUAIN with JUVENTUS jersey N°9
- 27 Jul 14:44 ARSENAL - Wenger: "With Per being out, we are a bit short"
- 27 Jul 14:31 INTER MILAN president Thohir claims Icardi is not for sale
- 27 Jul 14:16 LIVERPOOL star Mane: "Manchester United tried to sign me"
- 27 Jul 14:00 JUVENTUS - Plan for PAREDES
- 27 Jul 13:45 LAZIO - Lead over EVERTON and MARSEILLE on THAUVIN
- 27 Jul 13:41 OFFICIAL - BARCELONA: Mascherano extends contract until 2019
- 27 Jul 13:30 LIVERPOOL - Allan training with HERTHA BERLIN
- 27 Jul 13:15 JOAO MARIO's father: "Sporting refused two offers, from INTER and LIVERPOOL"
- 27 Jul 13:00 PSG - A German suitor for STAMBOULI
- 27 Jul 12:45 BESIKTAS - Move for ETO'O ready
- 27 Jul 12:30 PSG, Emery: "I'd like to keep MATUIDI with us, but...". ARSENAL and UNITED ready
- 27 Jul 12:15 FC SEVILLE want DANI PAREJO from Valencia
- 27 Jul 12:00 NAPOLI - Back for MAKSIMOVIC
- 27 Jul 11:45 WOLFSBURG - A French suitor for DANTE
- 27 Jul 11:30 WEST HAM - Keen on WENDELL
- 27 Jul 11:22 REAL MADRID - Zidane about Pogba possible arrival: "He is not yet a Madrid player"
- 27 Jul 11:14 MANCHESTER CITY target Sane set to leave SCHALKE 04
- 27 Jul 11:07 ARSENAL - Wenger about Lacazette: "Lyon are responsible for their own statements"
- 27 Jul 11:00 BARCELONA - The presentation of André Gomes
- 27 Jul 11:00 WATFORD man Abdi underwent medical with SHEFFIELD WED
- 27 Jul 10:48 STOKE CITY star Arnautovic to stay amid EVERTON interest
- 27 Jul 10:47 JUVENTUS - Higuain: (VIDEO) "I'm happy here, I hope to win Champions"
- 27 Jul 10:29 EVERTON trigger Idrissa Gueye's buyout clause
- 27 Jul 10:13 CHELSEA, Conte: "I can't wait to work with Kante"
- 27 Jul 09:59 JUVENTUS - Higuain arrived this morning in Turin (PHOTOS & VIDEO)
- 27 Jul 09:56 REAL MADRID to let Odegaard leave on loan
- 27 Jul 09:44 CHELSEA, Conte: "Matic is important for me"
- 27 Jul 09:27 OFFICIAL - CAEN buy RODELIN back from Lille
- 27 Jul 09:14 OFFICIAL - BOURNEMOUTH star Gradel extends contract
- 27 Jul 09:02 CHELSEA, Conte: "We need to create a good spirit and stay together"
- 27 Jul 02:00 INTER, Thohir: "We won't yield ICARDI. Mancini? He's our manager"
- 27 Jul 01:45 NAPOLI - Not giving up on PEREYRA
- 27 Jul 01:30 AS MONACO - Offer for Guilavogui submitted to WOLFSBURG
- 27 Jul 01:15 LYON denies agreement with Napoli on TOLISSO
- 27 Jul 01:00 RAJKOVIC about to join PALERMO
- 27 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI - Steps forward towards MILIK
- 26 Jul 23:45 OFFICIAL - LILLE sign Sankharé from Guingamp
- 26 Jul 23:30 OFFICIAL - ZENIT sign Giuliano
- 26 Jul 23:15 OFFICIAL - Pedro Empis extends for SPORTING LISBON
- 26 Jul 23:00 MAINZ & LEIPZIG keen on Morganella
- 26 Jul 22:45 OFFICIAL - PORTO loan SAMI to Akhisar Belediyespor
Arsenal need an experienced centre-back, with Per Mertesacker facing several months out with injury, Arsene Wenger has said: "We have to look for an option to get a bit more experience. With Per being out, we are a bit short on the experience front and we are looking to brin
Juventus striker, Gonzalo Higuain, before to undergo medicals, at J Medical centre has spoken to reporters. "I'm happy here, I hope to win Ch
Barcelona president, Bartomeu has spoken about the new arrival, the midfielder André Gomes, who won Euro2016 with Portugal NT. "Welcome to
Arsenal need an experienced centre-back, with Per Mertesacker facing several months out with injury, Arsene Wenger has said: "We have to look for
Interviewed by L'Equipe and asked about 29 years old French international defensive midfielder Blaise Matuidi's future, PSG manager
Currently on a deal with Palermo until June 2018, Swiss right-back Michel Morganella (27), according to Sky Sport Italia, has been targeted