ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 Aug 14:21 CHELSEA, Hazard: "Conte wants me to score and make a difference"
- 28 Aug 12:26 CHELSEA, Conte: "I saw the idea of our football today"
- 28 Aug 11:23 CHELSEA, Conte: "We started very well but we can improve"
- 27 Aug 21:57 OFFICIAL - Arsenal loan ASANO to Stuttgart
- 27 Aug 20:00 SOUTHAMPTON - Heavy injury for Jeremy PIED
- 27 Aug 16:35 MANCHESTER CITY announce Champions League ticket prices
- 27 Aug 12:31 MAN UNITED - Mourinho on the market: "I'll have a very quiet week"
- 27 Aug 11:32 SPURS - Harry Kane: "I would love to stay here"
- 27 Aug 10:34 ARSENAL - Wenger: "Lucas Perez can be my Jamie Vardy"
- 26 Aug 23:01 COVENTRY resign NEWCASTLE midfielder Gael Bigirimana
- 26 Aug 22:01 SOUTHAMPTON - Claude Puel: "Soares will do many good things this season"
- 26 Aug 21:25 OFFICIAL - SOUTHAMPTON - Cedric Soares signs a new deal until 2020
- 26 Aug 18:45 HULL CITY - Phelan not a caretaker anymore
- 26 Aug 18:15 OFFICIAL - Forshaw extends for MIDDLESBROUGH
- 26 Aug 17:02 SOUTHAMPTON legend Le Tissier confident the Saints will sign Boufal
- 26 Aug 15:44 CHELSEA - Conte: "Our market targets are very difficult to reach"
- 26 Aug 14:35 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "Everyone of us is different after Mourinho's arrival"
- 26 Aug 08:56 WATFORD boss Mazzarri happy with his new signings
- 25 Aug 17:18 CRYSTAL PALACE - ZAHA asked PARDEW to let him leave: Spurs swooping in
- 25 Aug 16:38 OFFICIAL - SUNDERLAND sign MANQUILLO from Atletico Madrid
- 25 Aug 14:15 LEICESTER CITY, Drinkwater after deal extension: "It's the perfect club for me, I love it here"
- 25 Aug 13:45 MANCHESTER UNITED - Pereira the next youngster to sent out on loan
- 25 Aug 13:16 TOTTENHAM - Danny Rose: "We can't wait for Champions League football"
- 25 Aug 11:03 CHELSEA, Loftus-Cheek: "Conte is a very patient manager"
- 24 Aug 17:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Schweinsteiger: "Red Devils will be my last European club"
- 24 Aug 17:14 SUNDERLAND - Khazri remains a part of Moyes' plans
- 24 Aug 15:59 CRYSTAL PALACE - Pardew: "Benteke will get games at Palace"
- 24 Aug 13:28 ARSENAL - Wenger: "I don't know what I will do when I leave Gunners"
- 24 Aug 13:16 MANCHESTER CITY - Joe Hart is furious with Citizens
- 24 Aug 10:53 Conte: "Loftus-Cheek to stay at CHELSEA"
- 23 Aug 21:18 TOTTENHAM - Eriksen: "Janssen and Kane have a good partnership"
- 23 Aug 19:55 OFFICIAL - WEST HAM winger Martin Samuelsen signs new contract
- 23 Aug 19:18 WEST HAM - Reece Burke signs a new four-year deal with club
- 23 Aug 19:03 BURNLEY striker Andre Gray charged by FA over homophobic tweets
- 23 Aug 18:55 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We want KONE to stay put. Mawson and Manquillo? We are interested in them"
- 23 Aug 17:16 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We put a smile back on French people's faces at Euro 2016"
- 23 Aug 11:34 ARSENAL have shown interest in Diogo Goncalves
- 23 Aug 10:06 MAN UNITED - Sam Johnstone: "I’ve got one of the best goalkeepers in the world ahead of me but..."
- 23 Aug 09:05 EVERTON are keen on the signing of Lucas Perez Martinez
- 23 Aug 08:34 WEST HAM - Reece Burke: "I want to build on that experience"
- 22 Aug 14:42 STOKE CITY - An English and a Dutch suitors on Potters wonderkid VERLINDEN
- 22 Aug 12:03 TOTTENHAM have shown interest in Andriy Yarmolenko
- 22 Aug 11:32 ARSENAL - Takuma Asano hasn't been confered work permit
- 22 Aug 11:04 WEST BROM are looking to sign SOUTHAMPTON Jay Rodriguez
- 22 Aug 09:47 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We are working hard"
- 21 Aug 13:03 CHELSEA, Conte: "We need to sign a defender"
- 21 Aug 09:29 CRYSTAL PALACE signing Benteke believes Klopp did not trust him
- 21 Aug 09:00 WEST BROM, Pulis: "Chinese owners will give us money to bring players in"
- 20 Aug 13:33 OFFICIAL - Ben Gibson pens new deal with MIDDLESBROUGH
- 20 Aug 12:34 MAN UNITED - Mourinho explains why Fellaini improved under him
- 20 Aug 11:01 MAN UNITED - Ibrahimovic: "We need to get used to winning: mental part is always important"
- 20 Aug 09:32 MAN UNITED - Mourinho on Pogba's debut: "He was fantastic"
- 20 Aug 07:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho hails incredible Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 19 Aug 22:31 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "I think we were a bit unlucky"
- 19 Aug 19:00 CHELSEA, Conte: “Watford a dangerous game: what we need to win”
- 19 Aug 18:33 CHELSEA, Conte: “I’m happy with Diego Costa’s attitude and behaviour”
- 19 Aug 18:06 CHELSEA, Conte: "I’ve a great respect for Watford coach Mazzari”
- 19 Aug 16:37 BURNLEY manager admits Defour might not be the last signing
- 19 Aug 09:07 LEICESTER CITY - Mahrez after the new deal: "I'm happy to continue here"
- 18 Aug 21:00 LEICESTER, Ranieri: "Mahrez told me he wanted to stay, I am pleased"
- 18 Aug 20:46 SWANSEA boss Guidolin confirms Bastòn won't feature against HULL CITY
- 18 Aug 20:29 BURNLEY manager admits he worked hard to sign Defour
- 18 Aug 19:03 LIVERPOOL handed boost over Mane injury scare
- 18 Aug 18:00 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY loan two youngsters out
- 18 Aug 16:37 MAN UNITED - Nani: " I see Sir Alex Ferguson like a father"
- 18 Aug 15:30 SUNDERLAND, Januzaj: "I love playing for MOYES, he gives me freedom and confidence"
- 18 Aug 13:44 CHELSEA - Conte wants Eden Hazard to bulk up
- 18 Aug 13:26 EVERTON, Erwin Koeman: "Williams needed rest after Euros. Bolasie and him are enjoying working with us"
- 18 Aug 12:48 LIVERPOOL sign partnership deal with video game developer Konami
- 18 Aug 00:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Watching KOSCIELNY play is a joy for me"
- 17 Aug 19:59 WEST HAM - Andre Ayew to have scans on his thigh injury to determine the severity
- 17 Aug 19:12 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "There's no problem with José FONTE"
- 17 Aug 16:49 OFFICIAL - CLUCAS extends for HULL CITY
- 17 Aug 14:38 MANCHESTER UNITED not going to extend Rooney's contract
- 17 Aug 12:35 HULL CITY have shown interest in Benjamin Moukandjo
- 17 Aug 11:06 MAN CITY - Pep Guardiola: "Sterling has a lot of quality"
- 17 Aug 10:04 NEWCASTLE - Rafa Benitez: "We will be where we want to be at the end of the season"
- 17 Aug 09:33 CHELSEA - Cahill: "With Conte I've experienced one of the hardest pre-season ever"
- 17 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I'm helping Holding settling down"
- 16 Aug 17:04 EVERTON close to meet Moussa Sissoko's agent
- 16 Aug 16:01 TOTTENHAM announce Lloris will be out for 4 weeks
- 16 Aug 14:53 MANCHESTER UNITED - Jamie Redknapp: "Bailly is a very good defender"
- 16 Aug 12:34 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte target FC KOLN Jonas Hector
- 16 Aug 10:33 MANCHESTER CITY, Neville: "Joe Hart should stay"
- 16 Aug 09:16 WATFORD closing in on Pereyra move
- 16 Aug 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Defeating Arsenal gives us a lot of confidence"
- 15 Aug 21:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "We were excellent in the first half, but Liverpool succeeded in damaging us afterwards"
- 15 Aug 18:44 CHELSEA loanee Traore made his debut for AJAX
- 15 Aug 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Zlatan is at the top of his qualities"
- 15 Aug 12:22 MANCHESTER CITY - Guardiola: "I'm pretty sure Hart is unhappy"
- 15 Aug 11:34 BOURNEMOUTH - Smith: "We give it our all and that's all we can do"
- 15 Aug 11:06 PL / CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Predicted Line Ups
- 15 Aug 10:51 PL/ CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Team News
- 15 Aug 10:37 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "We need players back"
- 15 Aug 09:31 LIVERPOOL defender Mamadou Sakho could move to BESIKTAS
- 14 Aug 19:26 MANCHESTER UNITED - Martial: "Ballon D'or is still far away with Messi and Ronaldo around"
- 14 Aug 16:38 CHELSEA, Lampard: "The Blues will be back challenging under Conte"
- 14 Aug 09:32 TOTTENHAM set talks over £19.5m deal
- 13 Aug 19:50 EVERTON, Koeman: "I hope we will sign two new players next week"
- 13 Aug 19:37 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Maybe we'll bring in more players"
Fichajes.com claims that Real Madrid are keen to keep Mateo Kovacic without loaning him to any club for this season.
The Croatian midfielder was targeted by Juventus but he is in a good moment with the Blancos, collecting also playing time.
Zidane is considering him th
FIORENTINA - Tatarusanu; Tomovic, Astori, Alonso; Tello, Sanchez, Vecino, Milic, Ilicic; Borja Valero; Kalinic.
Manager: Paulo Sousa
After the second draw in the first two league fixture Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone stressed what his team need to go back on the top of the t
Chelsea star Eden Hazard scored the opener in the comfortable 3-0 win against Burnley at Stamford Bridge yesterday.
Interviewed by France Football, French-Malian right-back Djibril Sidibé (24), who joined AS Monaco from Lille little less than a mont
Left Hoffenheim after just on season, German winger Jonathan Schmid (26) has officially joined Augsburg on a 4 years deal.