ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski is deadly when there's a chance"
03.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
on the performance…
Overall I am pleased with the quality of our performance, offensively and defensively. In our first two games you could feel some potential but we lacked a little spark and that is getting better now. We come out of the game with the feeling we had a good performance but there is also a good potential and team energy and that is always very interesting because there is something to work on.
on goals for the new signings…
Everybody understood very quickly that Cazorla would not take six months to settle and Podolski is deadly when there is a chance, you see that in training. He showed good team work as well today, and I am pleased for them. Just Giroud needs a goal, but as long as the team wins we know that will come.
on another clean sheet...
As long as that record lasts, the more everybody does defensively because they want to keep the record going. Football is always a good lesson in humility because we had the No 1 and two goalkeepers out and went to Stoke and Liverpool and haven't conceded a goal. You never know in the game but when you have a good work rate and spirit in the team, you have a chance.
on the international break...
It is not very welcome for us but that is the fixture list, we can't decide about that.
on Brendan Rodgers' task...
I faced that [pressure] last year in the same period. He has just arrived at the club, the expectation level is very high but you just want to tell people to stay confident and stand behind the man. When it comes to a big club it is important for him to feel that the people around him trust him and I am sure he will turn it around.
on Abou Diaby...
You can see it is massive for us because he is a tremendous football player. He has absolutely everything you want in midfield. He hasn't played for a year but he had a good pre-season where we had him 45 minutes every three days and now he looks in good shape. There is more to come from him but what he has shown today is very good.
on whether he was worried about him...
I was worried about him highly but I always stood behind him because not only is he a fantastic football player but a fantastic guy as well. Let's hope he survives the break because the national team travel a lot, play two games in four days and let's hope he comes back in good shape.
on Jack Wilshere...
He is looking very good in training. Close? It depends what you call close. I would still give him a month. But it looks very good. In a month he should be starting to play again.
on his ideal midfield...
Look at our midfield; you have Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Wilshere, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ramsey. There is a fight for places and there is quality.
on comparisons to April's game at Anfield...
It is difficult. Today I felt we were more composed, we dominated in midfield and that gave us a good stability. We scored first as well in the first half. I still feel Liverpool are a good team because I saw them against Manchester City and they deserved to win the game. You have to trust the team and they will come back.
on whether the team is stronger than 12 months ago...
It is too early. I am confident we have good potential and it is down to us to improve, there a lot of things to work on. There is a good potential there.
on Theo Walcott...
Today we had Walcott, Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey on the bench and we had players at home as well. They will play.
on injury news...
Oxlade-Chamberlain had a kick but he is OK. Vermaelen had a kick as well, he should be alright.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 05 May 10:34 LEICESTER tried to appoint Hiddink
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 09:47 HUDDERSFIELD - Danny Ward on target
- 04 May 09:26 LIVERPOOL - Caulker to leave
- 03 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Fellaini and Huth face 3 match ban
- 03 May 18:02 TOTTENHAM - Rose: "I'm sorry if it looked bad on TV"
- 03 May 17:22 LIVERPOOL - Can back to training
- 03 May 16:57 STOKE CITY - Club announces new kit makers
- 03 May 16:22 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We won't defend our title next year"
- 03 May 15:42 LIVERPOOL - Sakho given worldwide ban
- 03 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM - Kane: "It's just a disappointing night"
- 03 May 14:47 EVERTON - Jagielka to return before end of season
- 03 May 14:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - David De Gea breaks award record
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 02 May 10:45 CHELSEA - Obi Mikel set for a stay
- 02 May 10:25 ARSENAL - Target Tierney
- 02 May 09:37 SPURS- Lloris to extend the contract
- 02 May 09:01 LEICESTER - Drinkwater risks a two-matches-ban
- 01 May 21:14 CHELSEA - Hiddink: "Conte must challenge for title"
- 01 May 20:51 EVERTON - Martinez: "I share their frustration"
- 01 May 20:24 SOUTHAMPTON 4-2 MAN. CITY: Man.City full of substitutes is defeated against Southampton
- 01 May 20:17 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We needed to win and we did it"
- 24 May 10:47 SOUTHAMPTON keeping tabs on Simone Zaza
- 24 May 10:33 CHELSEA join the chase to sign Medhi Benatia
- 24 May 10:21 Everton - Lukaku want come back Chelsea
- 24 May 10:13 CRYSTAL PALACE set to place a bid for Demba Ba
- 24 May 09:58 BAYERN MUNICH - Hummels: "Leaving Borussia was very difficult"
- 24 May 09:57 Liverpool: Doctor for Karius
- 24 May 09:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Disappointed to leave, it has been an honour"
- 24 May 09:40 BREAKING NEWS - Josè Mourinho has left his house
- 24 May 09:40 Manchester United: "Giggs poised"
- 24 May 09:23 Leicester: magic clause for Vardy
- 24 May 09:20 LYON - To appoint Houllier as general manager
- 24 May 09:02 INTER MILAN - Zanetti: "Simeone won't join us"
- 24 May 08:46 LAZIO, Rich renewal offer submitted to Biglia
- 24 May 08:30 WEST HAM, Survey on Borja Valero
- 24 May 08:15 AC MILAN, A suitor ready if Kucka leaves
- 24 May 08:00 JUVENTUS, First offer for Janmaat submitted to Newcastle
- 24 May 02:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Lazio reject first offer for Candreva
- 24 May 01:45 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Lokomotiv Moscow hire N'Dinga from AS Monaco
- 24 May 01:30 TRABZONSPOR, Approaching Yamaguchi
- 24 May 01:15 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Gladkiy
- 24 May 01:00 OLYMPIQUE LYON, Fofana considers quitting football
- 24 May 00:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio, back tracking Walace
- 24 May 00:30 MONCHENGLADBACH, Vestergaard about to join
- 24 May 00:15 WATFORD, Mazzarri wants Juan Jesus
- 24 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, From Spain: Morata's agent meets Real Madrid bosses
- 23 May 23:53 JUVENTUS, A new loan suitor for Andrés Tello
- 23 May 23:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norwich City extend Whittaker's contract
- 23 May 23:38 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Cabral renews for Celta Vigo
- 23 May 23:31 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Mammana's entourage in London: in talks with Chelsea
- 23 May 23:24 FIORENTINA, Babacar might join Serie A greenhorns Crotone
- 23 May 23:17 REAL MADRID, 3 suitors for Arbeloa
- 23 May 23:09 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Nancy sign N'Guessan
- 23 May 22:15 Lazio, postive meeting with Prandelli
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 23 May 21:33 CRYSTAL PALACE - keen on INTER's Santon
- 23 May 21:01 PSG - Van Der Wiel to leave
- 23 May 20:51 VAN GAAL official statement on sacking
- 23 May 20:50 MANCHESTER UNTIED - official statement on Van Gaal
- 23 May 20:19 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford to make England debut
- 23 May 19:44 WEST BROM - Pulis shows interest in Tiote
- 23 May 19:14 TOTTENHAM - Son: "I'm not worried about transfer rumours"
- 23 May 18:46 BAYERN MUNICH - Sanches: " I chose Bayern over United"
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 23 May 18:17 Fiorentina, from Spain: even Galatasaray follows Giuseppe Rossi
- 23 May 18:12 ARSENAL - Wenger: "Rosicky was perfect fit for Arsenal"
- 23 May 18:11 Napoli, the promise made by Higuain to Sarri: "I'll see you in Dimaro"
- 23 May 18:01 Inter, Moratti and Suning agreement: "Possible news soon"
- 23 May 17:57 Zanetti: "Simeone would coach Inter, but Mancini is a great coach"
- 23 May 17:45 Roma, Pallotta arrives in June. Totti and stadium on the agenda
- 23 May 17:43 LIVERPOOL - Hitzfeld: "Gotze perfect fit for Reds"
After a disappointing second season spent playing for Newcastle, ended with the team getting relegated to Football Championship, Dutch international right backwing Daryl Janmaat (26) is likely to leave Magpies, at least on loan. Hoping to get him on a low price, Ju
According to Sky Sport there were advances in the negotiations between Lazio and Cesare Prandelli. After meeting between the Biancocelesti and former
Raphael Varane, Real Madrid defender, has spoken at L'Equipe: Euro 2016? :" The idea is really to live an important stage of my career
Louis Van Gaal it is no longer Manchester United's manager. The club, with a brief note on his official site, announced Dutch departure with immed
Liverpool have reportedly eyed Javier Pastore in action for Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, according to France Football.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was elected by Kicker, Bundesliga's best player. A prestigious award for the Armenian Borussia Dortmund midfielder followed in