INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 17:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 10:13 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We're as strong as Juventus and Roma
- 21 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "I will stay"
- 20 Jul 06:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "Medel? I don't think he's one of our players"
- 19 Jul 00:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "I will try to keep Cuadrado"
- 18 Jul 00:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "I will stay"
- 17 Jul 06:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "Never thought about joining Juve"
- 16 Jul 17:45 JUVENTUS, Allegri's first words as Bianconeri manager: "I'll need to win for winning fans over. No widespread changes, happy to work with Pirlo again"
- 16 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Juventus have lost a great man"
- 15 Jul 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 14 Jul 06:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honored by United's interest"
- 13 Jul 06:00 FIORENTINA, Valero: "I am not leaving"
- 12 Jul 00:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "He could still join Milan"
- 11 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Vrsaljko won't join. Cerci.. who knows"
- 10 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Iturbe? We'll see.."
- 09 Jul 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "Klose is not for sale"
- 08 Jul 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pradč: "No official offers for Cuadrado"
- 07 Jul 06:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "Don't know anything about Barcelona"
- 04 Jul 00:00 GENOA. Vrsaljko's agent: "No news about his future"
- 03 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He is happy here"
- 02 Jul 08:50 JUVENTUS, Barzagli undergoes surgery in Finland
- 01 Jul 00:00 INTER, Taider: "I will stay"
- 30 Jun 16:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 30 Jun 13:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi about FIGC: "The hour has come for change"
- 28 Jun 00:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "Fiorentina agreable destination"
- 26 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic's agent: "Don't know anything about Lazio"
- 25 Jun 17:00 AC MILAN, Balotelli has hit back at his critics
- 25 Jun 00:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "He is about to join Chievo"
- 24 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Perea's agent: "He's going nowhere"
- 23 Jun 00:00 MILAN, B. Berlusconi: "Balotelli is not irreplaceable"
- 22 Jun 06:00 FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi: "Udinese and Cagliari agreable destinations"
- 21 Jun 00:00 INTER, Krhin's agent: "Happy to be back"
- 20 Jun 06:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "Italian and foreign clubs after him"
- 19 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We still don't know if he will stay"
- 18 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Radosevic's agent: "He's looking for a team where he can play"
- 17 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "No agreement for the new contract"
- 17 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He's like to to end his career in Naples"
- 16 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "We are not seeking defenders or goalkeepers"
- 14 Jun 00:00 INTER, Rolando: "I would like to remain, but..."
- 13 Jun 16:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi: "Our aim is to get qualified to Champions League"
- 13 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Cristante's agent: "Benfica after him, but he's not for sale"
- 12 Jun 00:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "Besiktas is an option"
- 11 Jun 00:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "Monaco are not after him"
- 10 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella's agent: "Galatasaray? Too early"
- 09 Jun 16:26 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Inzaghi " I thank President Berlusconi and all the club for the faith"
- 09 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I would like to stay"
- 08 Jun 06:00 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "I would like to stay"
- 24 Jul 08:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTEHAM, moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar
- 24 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Badelj
- 24 Jul 07:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Gaitan about to join
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 24 Jul 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "Will I stay? Of course!"
- 24 Jul 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We can't afford to sign Behrami"
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
- 23 Jul 15:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two youngsters renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 23 Jul 15:30 MLS - USA/ NY CITY FC, Xavi might join in December
- 23 Jul 15:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hubner: "Piazon from Chelsea? There are good signals"
- 23 Jul 14:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Nené
- 23 Jul 14:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chihi joins Fulham
- 23 Jul 14:20 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Keen on Vecino
- 23 Jul 14:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Adrian Fernandez joins Quilmes
- 23 Jul 13:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign back Sanogo
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
The Mirror says Spurs are looking to build on their capture of Ben Davies and Michel Vorm by moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar. The north London club are reportedly willing to offer midfielder Lewis Holtby plus cash to land the Dutch stopper.
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...