INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 22 Oct 00:00 INTER, Obi's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 21 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Nainggolan: "My future? I evaluate year by year"
- 20 Oct 13:45 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I left the pitch angrily because I knew I could have played better"
- 20 Oct 00:00 SASSUOLO, Zaza: "I know that Juve are observing me"
- 19 Oct 06:00 ROMA, Paredes: "Here for a long time"
- 18 Oct 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal will stay"
- 17 Oct 16:30 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal won’t be in the squad because he played two 90-minute matches for Chile"
- 17 Oct 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I will remain for a long time"
- 16 Oct 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani's agent: "No news about his new contract"
- 15 Oct 18:05 AC MILAN, Essien: "I am often in touch with Mourinho"
- 15 Oct 14:59 INTER, Ausilio: "We've analysed the problems without shame or fear"
- 14 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Rabiot? We admire the skilled players"
- 13 Oct 18:22 AC MILAN, Saponara: "It was a bad injury and it scared me a lot"
- 13 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "I don't want to leave"
- 12 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Keita: "I came here to win"
- 11 Oct 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 10 Oct 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "He wants to stay for 10 more years"
- 08 Oct 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "Remaining was his decision"
- 07 Oct 00:00 INTER, Thohir: "Mazzarri is confirmed. We will reinforce our team"
- 06 Oct 10:32 INTER, Mazzarri: "Little to be said, we'll solve our problems"
- 06 Oct 09:25 INTER, Ausilio: "This isn't the real Inter. We'll come through this together"
- 06 Oct 00:00 FIORENTINA, Cuadrado: "The new contract? Ask my agent"
- 05 Oct 00:00 MILAN, Abbiati: "I won't retire at the end of the season"
- 04 Oct 00:00 NAPOLI, Hamsik's agent: "At the monent he is happy in Naples"
- 03 Oct 00:00 UDINESE, Heurtaux: "I am happy here"
- 02 Oct 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "My new contract? Ask my agent"
- 01 Oct 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Gabbiadini's agent: "Too early to talk about the future"
- 30 Sep 13:32 JUVENTUS, Morata:"Madrid didn't believe in me"
- 30 Sep 00:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I would like to remain"
- 29 Sep 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "No hurry about Kovacic and Icardi's renewal"
- 28 Sep 06:00 ROMA, Baldissoni: "Totti here for a long time"
- 27 Sep 00:00 PALERMO, Vazquez: "I will end my career at Belgrano"
- 26 Sep 00:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "This is a great place to play football"
- 25 Sep 18:22 INTER, Erick Thohir meets Barbara Berlusconi
- 25 Sep 00:00 ATALANTA, Baselli's agent: "Inter? Could be"
- 24 Sep 11:28 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres had a good match. He hadn’t played 90 minutes for a long time"
- 22 Sep 07:59 JUVENTUS, Pereyra: "Good performance, but I need to improve defensively"
- 22 Sep 00:00 ROMA, Baldissoni: "Strootman is not for sale"
- 21 Sep 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "Inter have done well on the transfar market"
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 18 Sep 10:44 As ROMA , Gervinho about Champions: "We can go a long way"
- 18 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani: "My new contract? Not yet"
- 17 Sep 13:41 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi is expected to make a visit at the Milanello
- 17 Sep 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "Soon a meeting for my new contract"
- 16 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual: "Many clubs after me"
- 15 Sep 08:17 AC MILAN, Menez: "Scoring goals is pleasing, this side deserves more"
- 12 Sep 18:14 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Focused on Empoli, not thinking about Champions"
- 12 Sep 18:00 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I am happy to be here at Milanello"
- 12 Sep 00:00 VERONA, Sorensen: "I would like to remain"
- 11 Sep 18:15 AC MILAN, Jack Bonaventura introduces himself: "Excited about being here, I got a warm welcome. I'm in good shape"
- 11 Sep 15:58 AC MILAN, Bonaventura: "The last day of the transfer market was surreal"
- 11 Sep 00:00 INTER, Guarin: "I have remained, now it's up to me"
- 10 Sep 18:30 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez : "We are working well with Inzaghi"
- 09 Sep 18:45 AS ROMA, Iturbe: "Garcia decisive for my arrival"
- 09 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez: "Too early to join Colo Colo"
- 08 Sep 06:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Nothing going on with Rabiot"
- 06 Sep 01:00 JUVENTUS, Barzagli says that they cannot compete financially with the continent's top teams
- 05 Sep 14:31 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "I feel good, but the bone needs time to heal"
- 04 Sep 14:59 AC MILAN, Torres' first press conference as a Rossoneri player: "I want to be part of this club's history"
- 02 Sep 15:01 AS ROMA, Balzaretti about the injury: "I feel bad for my team-mates, I feel guilty"
- 30 Aug 01:23 AC MILAN, Abate: "We must win back our fans with desire and humility"
- 29 Aug 19:48 AS ROMA, Garcia: "My players are hungry for success"
- 29 Aug 10:59 INTER, Icardi: "We started strong, that's what the gaffer wanted"
- 29 Aug 10:36 INTER, Kovacic: "I'll play wherever the coach wants me"
- 29 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci won't join AC Milan"
- 28 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I won't join Monaco"
- 27 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Van Ginkel may join us"
- 26 Aug 17:14 JUVENTUS, Romulo: "I’m excited by the challenge of playing Champions"
- 26 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Paratici: "No contacts between Sevilla and Ogbonna"
- 25 Aug 17:30 INTER, Medel: "I want to show what I can do"
- 25 Aug 00:00 ROMA, Destro's agent: "Milan could make a step soon"
- 24 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "The market? If the team can be improved..."
- 23 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? We'll see"
- 22 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "No meetings for his new contract"
- 21 Aug 08:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We need a second striker, but.."
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 00:00 CHIEVO, Nember: "We are not after Lazzari"
- 19 Aug 10:38 UEL, squad list for Stjarnan v Inter
- 19 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Storari's agent: "Nothing new about Sassuolo"
- 18 Aug 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 17 Aug 09:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "Khedira? I always talk to him..."
- 15 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal going nowhere"
- 14 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "His future? It's up to the club"
- 13 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner: "I will stay and renew"
- 12 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Darmian not for sale"
- 11 Aug 18:44 AC MILAN, Armero: "I arrive in a great team, I want to find space here and do well"
- 11 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler: "I want to stay"
- 10 Aug 06:00 FIORENTINA, Roncaglia: "I could leave"
- 09 Aug 00:00 INTER, Campagnaro's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 08 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Dzemaili: "Honoured by Sevilla interest"
- 07 Aug 18:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I want to be a key performer here"
- 07 Aug 11:11 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Menez showed the right spirit and looked fit"
- 07 Aug 01:13 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We really want to bounce back"
- 06 Aug 19:02 INTER, Hernanes: "We want to show we’re capable of big things"
- 06 Aug 06:00 JUVENTUS, Agnelli: “Internationalisation the way forward"
- 05 Aug 14:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I need 10 goals a season"
- 05 Aug 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Osti: "We are after Britos, but.."
- 04 Aug 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "We are keeping our word"
- 03 Aug 09:00 INTER, Schelotto's agent: "Southampton? We'll see,,"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 22 Oct 17:31 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBONA, Carvalho: "We didn't deserve to lose 4-3"
- 22 Oct 17:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Mario Gomez out other 15 days
- 22 Oct 16:43 AS ROMA, Garcia: "It was a tactical disaster. We let Bayern play and they're a very strong team"
- 22 Oct 16:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Guardiola: "My Bayern are different to my Barcelona"
- 22 Oct 16:13 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Observing with Napoli Moisander
- 22 Oct 16:00 ITALY/ JUVE, Eye on Afellay
- 22 Oct 15:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Lahm: "We need to win again in a few weeks"
- 22 Oct 15:31 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "I'm still convinced Roma have a very good team"
- 22 Oct 15:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Marcelo observed by Man Utd
- 22 Oct 14:59 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Moore is a £10m target for Arsenal and City
- 22 Oct 14:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Alcaraz is the new coach of Levante
- 22 Oct 14:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, In talks for Vangioni
- 22 Oct 14:15 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger on Martinez: "I am extremely confident in him"
- 22 Oct 14:00 FRANCE/ RENNES, Survey on Valdifiori
- 22 Oct 13:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back surveying Widmer
- 22 Oct 13:30 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Hasi: "We'll have to stop Sanchez"
- 22 Oct 13:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Castillejo extends for Malaga
- 22 Oct 13:00 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, New attempt for Gaitan ready
- 22 Oct 12:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Buffon's renewal on arrival: stepping over the almighty Zoff
- 22 Oct 12:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Eyes on Acheampong
- 22 Oct 12:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan sign Figueroa
- 22 Oct 12:00 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger: "Martinez will play as a goalkeeper"
- 22 Oct 11:50 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Private audience with Pope Francis
- 22 Oct 11:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Empoli-Hysaj renewal meeting scheduled
- 22 Oct 11:30 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro's agent: ""We need patience. If Mazzarri doesn't need him, we should know"
- 22 Oct 11:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ospina has been ruled out for three months
- 22 Oct 11:19 Mundo Deportivo,Praises FC Barcelona for their efficient work against AFC Ajax
- 22 Oct 11:18 Corriere dello Sport, "Roma were humiliated by a formidable Bayern side"
- 22 Oct 11:15 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, 3 Bundesliga giants on Cedric Soares
- 22 Oct 11:15 Gazzetta dello Sport, Roma-Bayern1-7, "A football lesson from Professor Robben"
- 22 Oct 11:12 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Problems for Neto renewal
- 22 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Back for Guarin in January
- 22 Oct 10:57 ITALY/ GENOA, Preziosi: "Ballardini returns? Let's work Gasp"
- 22 Oct 10:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norwich loan Toffolo out
- 22 Oct 10:17 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Rijeka set the price for Kramaric: Serie A clubs ready
- 22 Oct 09:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Mario Fernandes
- 22 Oct 09:39 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Scouting Kurzawa
- 22 Oct 09:20 SPAIN/ ELCHE, Mudingayi about to be announced
- 22 Oct 09:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Meeting for hiring Alderweireld back is set
- 22 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Alcaraz is Levante new coach
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 22 Oct 07:27 LILLE, Vandamme: "Origi won't join Liverpool"
- 22 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Dante: "I would like to end my career here"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 22 Oct 00:00 INTER, Obi's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 21 Oct 23:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Interest for Samba confirmed
- 21 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ MONACO, Two clubs after Kurzawa
- 21 Oct 22:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Also Napoli after Pocognoli
- 21 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ JUVE, Buffon about to renew
Arjen Robben said a tactical tweak was key to FC Bayern München's emphatic victory at AS Roma.
"Afterwards it's always easy to talk. I'm still convinced Roma have a very good team – they've shown that this season – but we should
Interviewed by FcInternews.it, Renzo Contratto, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Joel Obi, has declared: "Away on loan in January if he won't
Interviewed by Barça TV, Barcelona wingback Dani Alves has declared: "My future? I am happy to have remained, there are many rumors, but I
Starting from the 7-5 League Cup victory over Reading's reminding, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger describes developments regarding Argentini
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
Arjen Robben said a tactical tweak was key to FC Bayern München's emphatic victory at AS Roma.
"Afterwards it's always easy to ta