INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 18 Sep 10:44 As ROMA , Gervinho about Champions: "We can go a long way"
- 18 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani: "My new contract? Not yet"
- 17 Sep 13:41 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi is expected to make a visit at the Milanello
- 17 Sep 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "Soon a meeting for my new contract"
- 16 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual: "Many clubs after me"
- 15 Sep 08:17 AC MILAN, Menez: "Scoring goals is pleasing, this side deserves more"
- 12 Sep 18:14 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Focused on Empoli, not thinking about Champions"
- 12 Sep 18:00 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I am happy to be here at Milanello"
- 12 Sep 00:00 VERONA, Sorensen: "I would like to remain"
- 11 Sep 18:15 AC MILAN, Jack Bonaventura introduces himself: "Excited about being here, I got a warm welcome. I'm in good shape"
- 11 Sep 15:58 AC MILAN, Bonaventura: "The last day of the transfer market was surreal"
- 11 Sep 00:00 INTER, Guarin: "I have remained, now it's up to me"
- 10 Sep 18:30 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez : "We are working well with Inzaghi"
- 09 Sep 18:45 AS ROMA, Iturbe: "Garcia decisive for my arrival"
- 09 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez: "Too early to join Colo Colo"
- 08 Sep 06:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Nothing going on with Rabiot"
- 06 Sep 01:00 JUVENTUS, Barzagli says that they cannot compete financially with the continent's top teams
- 05 Sep 14:31 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "I feel good, but the bone needs time to heal"
- 04 Sep 14:59 AC MILAN, Torres' first press conference as a Rossoneri player: "I want to be part of this club's history"
- 02 Sep 15:01 AS ROMA, Balzaretti about the injury: "I feel bad for my team-mates, I feel guilty"
- 30 Aug 01:23 AC MILAN, Abate: "We must win back our fans with desire and humility"
- 29 Aug 19:48 AS ROMA, Garcia: "My players are hungry for success"
- 29 Aug 10:59 INTER, Icardi: "We started strong, that's what the gaffer wanted"
- 29 Aug 10:36 INTER, Kovacic: "I'll play wherever the coach wants me"
- 29 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci won't join AC Milan"
- 28 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I won't join Monaco"
- 27 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Van Ginkel may join us"
- 26 Aug 17:14 JUVENTUS, Romulo: "I’m excited by the challenge of playing Champions"
- 26 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Paratici: "No contacts between Sevilla and Ogbonna"
- 25 Aug 17:30 INTER, Medel: "I want to show what I can do"
- 25 Aug 00:00 ROMA, Destro's agent: "Milan could make a step soon"
- 24 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "The market? If the team can be improved..."
- 23 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? We'll see"
- 22 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "No meetings for his new contract"
- 21 Aug 08:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We need a second striker, but.."
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 00:00 CHIEVO, Nember: "We are not after Lazzari"
- 19 Aug 10:38 UEL, squad list for Stjarnan v Inter
- 19 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Storari's agent: "Nothing new about Sassuolo"
- 18 Aug 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 17 Aug 09:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "Khedira? I always talk to him..."
- 15 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal going nowhere"
- 14 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "His future? It's up to the club"
- 13 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner: "I will stay and renew"
- 12 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Darmian not for sale"
- 11 Aug 18:44 AC MILAN, Armero: "I arrive in a great team, I want to find space here and do well"
- 11 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler: "I want to stay"
- 10 Aug 06:00 FIORENTINA, Roncaglia: "I could leave"
- 09 Aug 00:00 INTER, Campagnaro's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 08 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Dzemaili: "Honoured by Sevilla interest"
- 07 Aug 18:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I want to be a key performer here"
- 07 Aug 11:11 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Menez showed the right spirit and looked fit"
- 07 Aug 01:13 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We really want to bounce back"
- 06 Aug 19:02 INTER, Hernanes: "We want to show we’re capable of big things"
- 06 Aug 06:00 JUVENTUS, Agnelli: “Internationalisation the way forward"
- 05 Aug 14:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I need 10 goals a season"
- 05 Aug 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Osti: "We are after Britos, but.."
- 04 Aug 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "We are keeping our word"
- 03 Aug 09:00 INTER, Schelotto's agent: "Southampton? We'll see,,"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 02:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will stay"
- 31 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal will stay"
- 30 Jul 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Also Real after him"
- 29 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? It's up to him"
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 26 Jul 02:00 INTER, Icardi's agent: "No contacts with Monaco"
- 25 Jul 11:42 INTER, Nike unveil new away kit for 2014/15
- 25 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 24 Jul 19:05 INTER, Claire Lewis joins club as Marketing Director
- 24 Jul 10:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 02:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 02:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 19:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 12:13 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We're as strong as Juventus and Roma
- 21 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "I will stay"
- 20 Jul 08:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "Medel? I don't think he's one of our players"
- 19 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "I will try to keep Cuadrado"
- 18 Jul 02:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "I will stay"
- 17 Jul 08:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "Never thought about joining Juve"
- 16 Jul 19:45 JUVENTUS, Allegri's first words as Bianconeri manager: "I'll need to win for winning fans over. No widespread changes, happy to work with Pirlo again"
- 16 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Juventus have lost a great man"
- 15 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 14 Jul 08:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honored by United's interest"
- 13 Jul 08:00 FIORENTINA, Valero: "I am not leaving"
- 12 Jul 02:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "He could still join Milan"
- 11 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Vrsaljko won't join. Cerci.. who knows"
- 10 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Iturbe? We'll see.."
- 09 Jul 02:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "Klose is not for sale"
- 08 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Pradè: "No official offers for Cuadrado"
- 07 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "Don't know anything about Barcelona"
- 04 Jul 02:00 GENOA. Vrsaljko's agent: "No news about his future"
- 03 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He is happy here"
- 02 Jul 10:50 JUVENTUS, Barzagli undergoes surgery in Finland
- 01 Jul 02:00 INTER, Taider: "I will stay"
- 30 Jun 18:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 30 Jun 15:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi about FIGC: "The hour has come for change"
- 20 Sep 10:27 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi about to renew
- 20 Sep 09:57 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hoarau renews with Young Boys
- 20 Sep 09:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead on Arbeloa
- 20 Sep 09:00 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Depay
- 20 Sep 08:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Still keen on Palmer-Brown
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 20 Sep 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "United can't afford our players"
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 22:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo renews with FC Porto
- 19 Sep 21:37 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Mutu about to sign
- 19 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Van Buyten could come back
- 19 Sep 18:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Martins quits Benfica
- 19 Sep 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Gaudino farther
- 19 Sep 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, The Cavani dream is not over
- 19 Sep 17:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Barragán likely to extend
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 19 Sep 17:15 FIORENTINA & INTER, Ledesma on target if not renewing with Lazio
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 19 Sep 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nottingham Forest loan Laing out
- 19 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Boruc out to Bournemouth
- 19 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: one less suitor for Mata
- 19 Sep 16:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Basa extends for Lille
- 19 Sep 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - SAINT-ETIENNE, Corgnet on Qarabag demi-failure: "We expected a tough game. All group teams will have trouble playing in Azerbaijan"
- 19 Sep 15:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Zengin might renew soon
- 19 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Schär ready
- 19 Sep 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, From Italy: winter attempt for Dani Alves ready
- 19 Sep 14:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - WOLFSBURG, Arnold: "We are not sticking our heads in the sand"
- 19 Sep 14:30 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Keen on Gokhan Gonul
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 19 Sep 14:01 BASTIA, Brandao suspended for head butt to Thiago Motta
- 19 Sep 13:44 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Winter move for Balanta revealed
- 19 Sep 13:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Considering move for Lugano
- 19 Sep 12:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Possible offer to Joseph Yobo
- 19 Sep 12:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Soriano on target
- 19 Sep 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Elche extend Rubio's deal
- 19 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Havre sign Agbetu
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa could come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
- 18 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Solskjaer resigns from Cardiff City manager position
Since having been benched a lot more than expected by Laurent Blanc in the beginning of current season, Uruguayan international striker Edinson Cavani (27) seems to be really weighing up the chance to leave Paris Saint-Germain, even in January, though being still on a deal with t
Hero of the day for Napoli after having scored 2 of the 3 goals thanks to Italian club defeated Sparta Prague in Europa League group round first match
Talking to FC Seville official media after the 2-0 victory over Feyenoord, Argentinian international playmaking midfielder Ever Banega, who joined Eur
Commenting upon Europa League group first match, played against Partizan Belgrade at White Hart Lane and ended in a disappointing 0-0, Tottenham goalk
After the quite unfulfilling 1-1 draw against Azeri outsiders Qarabag, Saint-Etienne offensive midfielder Benjamin Corgnet commented: "Differentl
Commenting upon the 4-1 defeat suffered from Everton, Wolfsburg 1994-born talented offensive midfielder Maxi Arnold stated: "We've been obvio