INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 27 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Van Ginkel may join us"
- 26 Aug 17:14 JUVENTUS, Romulo: "I’m excited by the challenge of playing Champions"
- 26 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Paratici: "No contacts between Sevilla and Ogbonna"
- 25 Aug 17:30 INTER, Medel: "I want to show what I can do"
- 25 Aug 00:00 ROMA, Destro's agent: "Milan could make a step soon"
- 24 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "The market? If the team can be improved..."
- 23 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? We'll see"
- 22 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "No meetings for his new contract"
- 21 Aug 08:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We need a second striker, but.."
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 00:00 CHIEVO, Nember: "We are not after Lazzari"
- 19 Aug 10:38 UEL, squad list for Stjarnan v Inter
- 19 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Storari's agent: "Nothing new about Sassuolo"
- 18 Aug 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 17 Aug 09:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "Khedira? I always talk to him..."
- 15 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal going nowhere"
- 14 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "His future? It's up to the club"
- 13 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner: "I will stay and renew"
- 12 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Darmian not for sale"
- 11 Aug 18:44 AC MILAN, Armero: "I arrive in a great team, I want to find space here and do well"
- 11 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler: "I want to stay"
- 10 Aug 06:00 FIORENTINA, Roncaglia: "I could leave"
- 09 Aug 00:00 INTER, Campagnaro's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 08 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Dzemaili: "Honoured by Sevilla interest"
- 07 Aug 18:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I want to be a key performer here"
- 07 Aug 11:11 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Menez showed the right spirit and looked fit"
- 07 Aug 01:13 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We really want to bounce back"
- 06 Aug 19:02 INTER, Hernanes: "We want to show we’re capable of big things"
- 06 Aug 06:00 JUVENTUS, Agnelli: “Internationalisation the way forward"
- 05 Aug 14:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I need 10 goals a season"
- 05 Aug 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Osti: "We are after Britos, but.."
- 04 Aug 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "We are keeping our word"
- 03 Aug 09:00 INTER, Schelotto's agent: "Southampton? We'll see,,"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 02:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will stay"
- 31 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal will stay"
- 30 Jul 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Also Real after him"
- 29 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? It's up to him"
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 26 Jul 02:00 INTER, Icardi's agent: "No contacts with Monaco"
- 25 Jul 11:42 INTER, Nike unveil new away kit for 2014/15
- 25 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 24 Jul 19:05 INTER, Claire Lewis joins club as Marketing Director
- 24 Jul 10:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 02:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 02:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 19:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 12:13 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We're as strong as Juventus and Roma
- 21 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "I will stay"
- 20 Jul 08:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "Medel? I don't think he's one of our players"
- 19 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "I will try to keep Cuadrado"
- 18 Jul 02:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "I will stay"
- 17 Jul 08:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "Never thought about joining Juve"
- 16 Jul 19:45 JUVENTUS, Allegri's first words as Bianconeri manager: "I'll need to win for winning fans over. No widespread changes, happy to work with Pirlo again"
- 16 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Juventus have lost a great man"
- 15 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 14 Jul 08:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honored by United's interest"
- 13 Jul 08:00 FIORENTINA, Valero: "I am not leaving"
- 12 Jul 02:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "He could still join Milan"
- 11 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Vrsaljko won't join. Cerci.. who knows"
- 10 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Iturbe? We'll see.."
- 09 Jul 02:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "Klose is not for sale"
- 08 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Pradè: "No official offers for Cuadrado"
- 07 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "Don't know anything about Barcelona"
- 04 Jul 02:00 GENOA. Vrsaljko's agent: "No news about his future"
- 03 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He is happy here"
- 02 Jul 10:50 JUVENTUS, Barzagli undergoes surgery in Finland
- 01 Jul 02:00 INTER, Taider: "I will stay"
- 30 Jun 18:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 30 Jun 15:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi about FIGC: "The hour has come for change"
- 28 Jun 02:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "Fiorentina agreable destination"
- 26 Jun 02:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic's agent: "Don't know anything about Lazio"
- 25 Jun 19:00 AC MILAN, Balotelli has hit back at his critics
- 25 Jun 02:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "He is about to join Chievo"
- 24 Jun 02:00 LAZIO, Perea's agent: "He's going nowhere"
- 23 Jun 02:00 MILAN, B. Berlusconi: "Balotelli is not irreplaceable"
- 22 Jun 08:00 FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi: "Udinese and Cagliari agreable destinations"
- 21 Jun 02:00 INTER, Krhin's agent: "Happy to be back"
- 20 Jun 08:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "Italian and foreign clubs after him"
- 19 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We still don't know if he will stay"
- 18 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Radosevic's agent: "He's looking for a team where he can play"
- 17 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "No agreement for the new contract"
- 17 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He's like to to end his career in Naples"
- 16 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "We are not seeking defenders or goalkeepers"
- 14 Jun 02:00 INTER, Rolando: "I would like to remain, but..."
- 13 Jun 18:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi: "Our aim is to get qualified to Champions League"
- 13 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Cristante's agent: "Benfica after him, but he's not for sale"
- 12 Jun 02:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "Besiktas is an option"
- 11 Jun 02:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "Monaco are not after him"
- 10 Jun 02:00 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella's agent: "Galatasaray? Too early"
- 09 Jun 18:26 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Inzaghi " I thank President Berlusconi and all the club for the faith"
- 09 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I would like to stay"
- 08 Jun 08:00 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "I would like to stay"
- 07 Jun 02:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "No contacts with Besiktas"
- 06 Jun 08:00 INTER, Andreolli's agent: "He will definitely stay"
- 05 Jun 02:00 INTER, Rolando's agent: "His future? First we must talk with Porto"
- 04 Jun 20:31 AC MILAN, Marcello Montolivo: "President has been supportive"
- 27 Aug 17:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, No to Tottenham on a swap regarding De Sciglio
- 27 Aug 16:48 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Back for Kuzmanovic again
- 27 Aug 16:36 ITALY/ TORINO, Suggestion for Amauri
- 27 Aug 16:24 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, In talks with Vidal's agent after Di Maria hit strike
- 27 Aug 16:12 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Teodorczyk
- 27 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, More Italian competitors on Borini
- 27 Aug 15:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Giroud's one can be a long-term injury"
- 27 Aug 15:36 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Offer for Acquafresca submitted
- 27 Aug 15:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Neil Warnock is the new Crystal Palace manager
- 27 Aug 15:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Gignac as a second-rate target
- 27 Aug 15:00 ENGLAND/ QPR, Eyes on Mo Diamé
- 27 Aug 14:48 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Good chances to close on Guarin
- 27 Aug 14:36 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Meeting with Juventus for signing Greek youngster Donis
- 27 Aug 14:24 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Lead on Alex Song
- 27 Aug 14:12 ITALY/ PARMA, Answer from Toulouse on Furman incoming
- 27 Aug 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our experience will help us against Besiktas. A crucial game, more on the sport side than financially"
- 27 Aug 13:48 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Agreement with Espanyol for David Lopez: the details
- 27 Aug 13:36 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Italian surveys on Kljestan
- 27 Aug 13:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Zigic as Giroud is risking long-time injury stop
- 27 Aug 13:12 ENGLAND/ QPR, Redknapp about to close on Bressan
- 27 Aug 13:06 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Parma: Mastriani on loan to Olhanense
- 27 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Marchionni set to join
- 27 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "I chose Di Maria as I did with Robben in Bayern. He'll need to fit into the philosophy of our club"
- 27 Aug 12:42 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Arsenal-Alderweireld: agreement with the player
- 27 Aug 12:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, £50m bid for Cavani
- 27 Aug 12:34 ITALY/ MILAN, Agreement with Chelsea for Van Ginkel
- 27 Aug 12:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New plan for Chicharito Hernandez started
- 27 Aug 12:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Hull City ready to blaze Benfica on Abel Hernandez: player travelling to England (photo)
- 27 Aug 12:02 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Agreement with Chelsea: waiting for Torres' yes
- 27 Aug 11:45 ITALY/ GENOA, Gasperini wants Konko back: duel to Marseille
- 27 Aug 11:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Betis: from Fiorentina arrives Piccini
- 27 Aug 11:15 GREECE/ OLYMPIACOS, Effort for Chantome of PSG
- 27 Aug 10:59 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Di Maria says he never wanted to leave Real
- 27 Aug 10:44 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Juve, Denis for the forward line
- 27 Aug 10:29 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW- Cagliari: thinking about Larrondo
- 27 Aug 10:14 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Barcelona: agreement with Douglas
- 27 Aug 10:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Atletico after Shaqiri
- 27 Aug 09:48 ITALY/ TORINO, Arsenal insist on Cerci
- 27 Aug 09:45 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eyes on Kolodziejczak
- 27 Aug 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Also Genoa after Sorensen
- 27 Aug 09:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Levante sign Toño
- 27 Aug 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Also Atletico after Borini
- 27 Aug 08:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Soldado closer
- 27 Aug 08:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Done for Douglas
- 27 Aug 08:15 ITALY/ ROMA, Also Palermo after Borriello
- 27 Aug 08:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Eibar sign Berjón
- 27 Aug 07:40 TURKEY/ SIVASSPOR, Eyes on Gabriel
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 27 Aug 06:39 BAYERN, Robben: "I want to end my career here"
- 27 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I didn't want to leave Real"
After AC Milan management showed some interest in Spanish internatioanl striker Roberto Soldado (29), Tottenham executives, according to Sky Sports UK, proposed Italian club a swap including former Valencia player and set to involve Italian international right backwing Mattia De
Interviewed by Sky Sport 24, AC Milan Chief Executive Adriano Galliani has declared: "We are in the last hours of the transfer market, let's
Carlo Ancelotti conceded after Monday's laboured victory over Cordoba that neither Cristiano Ronaldo nor Real Madrid are in "optimum conditio
Asked by Arsenal Player about injuries situation, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger talked especially about Olivier Giroud's recent one: "
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Interviewed by the Münchner Merkur, Bayern Munich 30-year-old winger Arjen Robben has declared: "I haven't given everything yet. I had g