INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 08 Mar 06:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 15:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Kakŕ, Pazzini or Balotelli will score sooner or later"
- 07 Mar 06:00 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I don't want to sell the club"
- 06 Mar 14:27 AC MILAN, Zapata: "Tough match in Udine"
- 06 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "No hurry about Conte's contract"
- 05 Mar 17:00 AC MILAN, Poli: "It was a hard knock but luckily I didn’t lose consciousness"
- 05 Mar 13:31 INTER, Thohir: "Vidic a world-class player"
- 05 Mar 06:00 CAGLIARI, Ibarbo: "I am not thinking about the future"
- 04 Mar 15:32 INTER, Zanetti: "I’m very open and always willing to do my best for this club"
- 04 Mar 10:43 INTER, Juan Jesus suspension: Inter to appeal
- 04 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Real: "I want to stay"
- 03 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Vidal will stay"
- 02 Mar 06:00 INTER, Ausilio: "No meeting with Eto'o"
- 01 Mar 06:00 ROMA, De Rossi: "I would like to play abroad but I love this club"
- 28 Feb 15:55 INTER, Mazzarri: "Zanetti is an important figure even when he doesn't play"
- 28 Feb 09:22 JUVENTUS, Conte: "We've been handed Fiorentina next and we're very relaxed"
- 28 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "He wants to remain as long as possible"
- 27 Feb 17:44 INTER, Rolando: "I chose to come here, even though there were other options"
- 27 Feb 00:00 JUVENTUS, Asamoah's agent: "Soon the new contract"
- 26 Feb 16:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez: "I know Swansea well..."
- 26 Feb 15:45 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I think we can do well against Atletico"
- 26 Feb 00:00 INTER, Thohir: "Mourinho back? We have Mazzarri..."
- 25 Feb 16:45 INTER, Guarin: "I’m happy and wouldn’t hesitate to sign with Inter for life"
- 25 Feb 00:00 GENOA, Perin: "Napoli? I am happy here"
- 24 Feb 09:41 JUVENTUS, Caceres: "Hats off to the team"
- 24 Feb 00:00 LAZIO, Klose: "I will talk with the club about my new contract"
- 23 Feb 09:30 INTER, Ausilio: "Zanetti will stay"
- 22 Feb 00:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honoured of Real's interest, but.."
- 21 Feb 17:00 AC MILAN, Petagna: "We did well against Atletico"
- 21 Feb 10:15 Juventus, Osvaldo: "he squad is eager to continue this European"
- 21 Feb 06:00 VERONA, Romulo: "My future? In June.."
- 20 Feb 19:45 AC MILAN, Balotelli out 10 days
- 20 Feb 16:44 AC MILAN, Emanuelson: "Atletico?We created a lot, we just needed to score”
- 20 Feb 00:00 TORINO, Immobile's agent: "Honoured of Borussia interest"
- 19 Feb 15:15 JUVENTUS, Conte: "All set for Trabzonspor"
- 19 Feb 00:10 INTER, Mazzarri: "I don’t see Thohir being far away as a major problem"
- 18 Feb 12:15 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Atletico are good, but they don't lack weaknesses"
- 18 Feb 11:09 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "Arda Turan is the player who impressed me most of all"
- 18 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Next Summer we'll build a winning team"
- 17 Feb 21:15 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Also Villas-Boas for the bench
- 17 Feb 20:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "It's not only about winning, but about how we win"
- 17 Feb 14:15 AC MILAN, Balotelli: "Proud for Simeone appreciating me, but I'm rossonero"
- 17 Feb 10:34 INTER, Thohir: "We continue to move forward as a team"
- 17 Feb 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Ranocchia could stay"
- 16 Feb 00:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "The market? We'll talk about it in June"
- 15 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I am not leaving"
- 15 Feb 00:00 LAZIO, Klose's agent: "No agreement for the new contract yet"
- 14 Feb 16:14 JUVENTUS, new problems for Pepe
- 14 Feb 15:43 AS ROMA, Totti underwent medical tests
- 14 Feb 14:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "De Laurentiis. "It's Valentine's Day, perhaps he loves me too much"
- 08 Mar 20:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Garay on target
- 08 Mar 19:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Eyes on Antunes
- 08 Mar 18:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Mertesacker: "Per gives everything for the club"
- 08 Mar 17:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Suggestion for Eliseu
- 08 Mar 16:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Baselli's agent: "Several foreign clubs keen on him"
- 08 Mar 15:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "He could still play World Cup"
- 08 Mar 14:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Micah Richards is the new name on tabs
- 08 Mar 13:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Eyes on Piazón
- 08 Mar 12:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Gibbs: "We'll need to take them seriously"
- 08 Mar 11:00 ITALY/ INTER, One more Premier League suitor on Taider
- 08 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger: "Doubt on Koscielny"
- 08 Mar 09:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Two Premier League suitors for Lennon
- 08 Mar 08:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Two suitors for Mexes
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 08 Mar 07:17 OM, Anigo: "We are not thinking about Laudrup"
- 08 Mar 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldy: "Firmino? Excellent player"
- 08 Mar 06:39 WEST BROMWICH, Mel: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 08 Mar 06:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 08 Mar 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Trippier
- 07 Mar 23:45 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Gustafsson leaves Salzburg
- 07 Mar 23:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on an Hungarian starlet
- 07 Mar 23:15 USA/ OFFICIAL, Pineda joins Seattle
- 07 Mar 23:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Brouwers will leave
- 07 Mar 22:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Asamoah renews
- 07 Mar 22:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Mallo
- 07 Mar 22:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Auction for Montolivo
- 07 Mar 22:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Dante about to renew
- 07 Mar 21:45 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Also Atletico after Schar
- 07 Mar 21:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Two Serie A players
- 07 Mar 21:15 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Sprint for Lescott
- 07 Mar 21:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Interest for Rafa
- 07 Mar 20:45 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 20:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jimenez is Instituto new coach
- 07 Mar 20:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Aly Cissokho will not stay
- 07 Mar 20:05 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, United's scout observing Bernat
- 07 Mar 19:46 FRANCE/ LORIENT, Working for Gourcuff renewal
- 07 Mar 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Thinking about Diego Lopez
- 07 Mar 19:16 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 19:01 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eriksen stay does not depend on Champions
- 07 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Thinking about Menez
- 07 Mar 18:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Contacts with Silva of Estoril
- 07 Mar 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 6 names for the back line of the future
- 07 Mar 18:01 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Barcelona thinking about Hummels
- 07 Mar 17:44 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Lopez oberved by two English clubs
- 07 Mar 17:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Richards and Lescott ready to leave
- 07 Mar 17:14 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Ready the deal extension of Gaitan
- 07 Mar 17:05 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Tevez: "The Italian league is definitely the most difficult and tactical"
- 07 Mar 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Blackburn Rovers: arrives Keane from United
- 07 Mar 16:31 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, For the bench also Laudrup name
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Laurent Koscielny talked about same role teammate Per Mertesacker: "I'm happy for Per. It's his third season here and he signed a new contract. I think he gives everything for the Club, it's a man who is respected by all of...
Interviewed by lematin.ma, QPR attacking midfielder Adel Taarabt, actually on loan at AC Milan has declared: "I feel very well at Milan,...
Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela has declared: "Arsenal is a great club that has given me the opportunity to play in Europe. I will always...
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Laurent Koscielny talked about same role teammate Per Mertesacker: "I'm happy for Per. It's his...
Interviewed by the Deutsche Presseagentur, Schalke 04 Sports Director Horst Heldt has declared about Hoffenheim 22 year old attacking midfielder...
Interviewed by Canal +, OM Sports Director and caretaker manager Jose Anigo has declared about the possibility to sign the former Swansea coach...