INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 28 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Nothing true about Ibrahimovic"
- 27 Aug 08:00 INTER, Brozovic: "OL? I am happy here"
- 21 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Amauri's agent: "I don't think he will leave"
- 20 Aug 00:00 INTER, Thohir: "Perisic could join"
- 19 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Maksimovic won't join Napoli"
- 14 Aug 08:00 ATALANTA, Cigarini's agent: "No contacts with FiorentinaĢ
- 13 Aug 08:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ibra? Difficult"
- 12 Aug 00:00 PALERMO, Milanović's agent: "He won't stay"
- 11 Aug 00:00 AS ROMA, Castan: "I will stay"
- 10 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We are about to sign Romagnoli"
- 09 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "No problems with Higuain"
- 08 Aug 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia: "My future? Everything can happen"
- 07 Aug 00:00 FIORENTINA, Alonso: "I am happy here"
- 06 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Nothing new about Romagnoli"
- 05 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Petrachi: "If we'll receive an offer for Maksimovic..."
- 04 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 03 Aug 00:00 INTER, Guarin's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 00:00 INTER, Taider's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 31 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I want to stay"
- 31 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Callejon's agent: "No contacts with Chelsea"
- 30 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 29 Jul 00:00 ATALANTA, Sartori: "Denis will stay"
- 28 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Draxler? There's no hurry"
- 27 Jul 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "Real were after me, but I asked to stay"
- 25 Jul 12:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic: "Happy to stay"
- 24 Jul 09:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez: "Colo Colo? I have a contract, we'll see"
- 23 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "We don't want to sell anybody"
- 22 Jul 06:00 AC MILAN, Menez's agent: "He will stay for sure"
- 18 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Rugani's agent: "Napoli? Juve want to keep him"
- 17 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Petrachi: "We're seeking a forward"
- 14 Jul 13:45 JUVENTUS, Tevez's transfer to Boca Juniors sums and details disclosed
- 13 Jul 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We are observing Salah's situation"
- 11 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Angelozzi: "We are not after El Kaddouri"
- 10 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Berardi's agent: "He won't join Juve before 2016"
- 09 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Sepe's agent: "He could join Fiorentina"
- 08 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Vrsaljko's agent: "We are waiting for Napoli"
- 06 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Peres' agent: "Ready for a great club"
- 02 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Gargano's agent: "Monterrey is not his only option"
- 01 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Rafael's agent: "Next week a decision about his future"
- 30 Jun 00:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "Five clubs after him"
- 27 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 26 Jun 00:00 INTER, Shaqiri: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Jun 00:00 INTER, Guarin's agent: "No contacts with Fenerbahįe"
- 24 Jun 00:00 AS ROMA, Destro: "Nothing true about Monaco"
- 23 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Llorente; "My future? I have to talk with the club"
- 22 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Sevilla want Rami, we're in talks"
- 21 Jun 09:00 PALERMO, Gonzalez's agent: "At least three big clubs after him"
- 20 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Also Juve are after Kondogbia"
- 19 Jun 00:00 UDINESE, Widmer's agent: "No offer from Roma"
- 18 Jun 09:00 JUVENTUS, Rugani's agent: "Napoli are interested, but.."
- 17 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez's agent: "Boca? We have to see..."
- 16 Jun 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He will probably sign a new deal"
- 15 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Evra: "I don't think the club will let Pogba leave"
- 14 Jun 06:00 JUVENTUS, Morata: "My future? I'm happy here"
- 13 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "I'd like to stay, but.."
- 12 Jun 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I will stay"
- 11 Jun 19:00 SAMPDORIA/ OFFICIAL, Walter Zenga is the new manager
- 11 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Keita's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 10 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves's agent: "He had better offers, but.."
- 10 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani's agent: "His future? We have to wait"
- 09 Jun 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He could end his career here"
- 08 Jun 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori's agent: "He'll join the club with the best project"
- 07 Jun 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "I hope that Pirlo will stay"
- 06 Jun 08:00 INTER, Guarin's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 05 Jun 16:39 AC MILAN, Berlusconi-Mr.Bee meeting at Arcore
- 05 Jun 00:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson: "My future is here"
- 04 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Zapata's agent: "He could stay"
- 03 Jun 17:20 ARGENTINA/ BANFIELD, Almeyda: "I want to continue here. In the future Lazio"
- 03 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Ledesma's agent: "Kansas City? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 01 Jun 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "I want to stay"
- 31 May 08:30 INTER, Mancini: "I hope that all the good players will stay"
- 30 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I hope Ancelotti wil join us"
- 29 May 03:57 HELLAS VERONA, Rafa Marquez: "Ronaldo doesn't deserve to win Ballon d'Or "
- 28 May 16:10 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ancelotti will decide on Wednesday"
- 28 May 16:03 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis about Bigon: "Changing after 6 years is normal"
- 28 May 15:24 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "I'll get Benitez a good contract for Real Madrid!"
- 28 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "I don't think Mandzukic will join us"
- 27 May 18:59 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I hope Ancelotti will accept"
- 27 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "If Inzaghi stays, I leave"
- 26 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We like Mandzukic"
- 25 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Alex: "I want to stay, but..."
- 24 May 06:30 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba unsellable, Vidal will stay"
- 23 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "Staying in Naples is his priority"
- 22 May 06:30 NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "He would be happy to train Real Madrid"
- 21 May 15:30 AC MILAN, Meeting with Ancelotti in Madrid
- 21 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are not after Cavani"
- 20 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I could remain here forever"
- 19 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? It's not only up to me"
- 18 May 00:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Maxi Lopez will stay"
- 17 May 03:00 INTER, Kovacic: "My future? I am happy here"
- 16 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Thohir wants to build a competitive team"
- 15 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? We'll see,,"
- 14 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "My future? I have a contract"
- 13 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Menez's agent: "Liverpool and Monaco? Just rumours"
- 12 May 14:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Cerci returning? Never say never. I want to stay"
- 12 May 00:00 MILAN, Galliani: "Gabigol? We'll see.."
- 11 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "We'll respect Handanovic's will"
- 10 May 10:00 AS ROMA, Sabatini: "We want to keep Nainggolan"
- 09 May 00:00 INTER, Podolski: "I could stay"
- 29 Aug 03:00 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Denis Suarez likely to join
- 29 Aug 02:27 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Draxler closer and closer
- 29 Aug 01:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid sign Kranevitter.
- 29 Aug 01:29 FRANCE/ NANTES, Cana more and more likely to join
- 29 Aug 00:59 BREAKING NEWS - GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Done for Coman from Juventus: loan with 26 million euros option
- 29 Aug 00:30 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hebling joins Zwolle
- 29 Aug 00:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Keen on Nagatomo
- 28 Aug 23:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Hebling
- 28 Aug 22:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bentivoglio quits Chievo
- 28 Aug 22:29 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Idea Didavi
- 28 Aug 21:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Everton sign Leandro Rodriguez
- 28 Aug 21:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Thiago Motta renews with PSG
- 28 Aug 21:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Vangioni
- 28 Aug 20:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover sign Ballmert
- 28 Aug 20:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Verdų
- 28 Aug 19:59 GERMANY/ LEVERKUSEN, Keen on Soriano
- 28 Aug 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez about to renew
- 28 Aug 19:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico sign Santos Borré
- 28 Aug 19:02 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mauri to leave on loan: 4 Serie A suitors
- 28 Aug 18:49 ITALY/ GENOA, In talks with Zenit for Ansaldi
- 28 Aug 18:37 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Attempt for Keita ready
- 28 Aug 18:26 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Attempt for Klaassen: offer submitted to Ajax
- 28 Aug 18:18 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hojbjerg joins Schalke on loan form Bayern Munich
- 28 Aug 18:11 BIG, BIG TRADES - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Draxler: Wenger tries to hijack him from Juventus
- 28 Aug 17:59 BREAKING NEWS - RUSSIA/ RUBIN KAZAN, Livaja about to join back Italy
- 28 Aug 17:48 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, In touch with Marseille for yielding Zaza: West Ham still await
- 28 Aug 17:39 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Besiktas assault for Obi Mikel
- 28 Aug 17:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Serie A greenhorns Carpi sign Hiwat from PSV
- 28 Aug 17:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter working on Eder
- 28 Aug 17:14 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia sign Cedric Omoigui
- 28 Aug 17:06 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, St. Pauli sign Dudziak from Borussia Dortmund
- 28 Aug 16:53 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea confident in Real Madrid last-minute offer
- 28 Aug 16:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Olympique Marseille sign Norwegian youngster Haugan
- 28 Aug 16:31 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Almost done for Ramiro Funes Mori: 5 million pounds to River Plate
- 28 Aug 16:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto loan Ricardo Nunes out
- 28 Aug 16:04 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Kucka
- 28 Aug 15:59 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ljajic refuses West Ham after agreement between clubs
- 28 Aug 15:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Zuņiga about to join Galatasaray
- 28 Aug 15:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Rony Lopes from Manchester City
- 28 Aug 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Henrique offered to Flamengo for signing Samir
- 28 Aug 14:43 FRANCE/ PSG, Al-Khelaifi about Lavezzi transfer: "He has a deal with us"
- 28 Aug 14:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Tracking Higuain in January
- 28 Aug 14:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Astonishing offer from City for De Bruyne"
- 28 Aug 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham sign Heung-Min Son
- 28 Aug 13:44 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen sign Kampl
- 28 Aug 13:28 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Toivonen joins Sunderland in season-long loan
- 28 Aug 13:13 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marseille: Aloč on loan to Valenciennes
- 28 Aug 13:01 ITALY/ INTER, Started again Felipe Melo trade
- 28 Aug 12:43 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Ģ37m for John Stones
- 28 Aug 12:34 ITALY/ ATAHOTEL EXECUTIVE - Genoa confirmed the reject of Benfica for Cristante
After a quite long negotiation, Bayern Munich and Juventus agreed on French Under-21 international winger and half-forward Kingsley Coman's (19) move to German giants. Former Paris Saint-Germain youth player, whose signing will be announced today, is joining Bavaria
Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has told Mediaset: "Ibrahimovic? Fanciful idea, we admire him but I deny everything. It's not easy
Sevilla FC midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, considered a target for Arsenal, has declared on his Twitter: "In the next season I will still be at t
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "Signing a striker is like making love to a beautiful woman. It is never easy. There are alwa
Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasiljev has declared: "We have budgeted for the Europa League. So, if we had been in the Champions League, it would
Interviewed by TMW, Wolfsburg Sporting Director Klaus Allofs has declared about 26-year-old winger Ivan Perisic: "All seems leading to his stay a