INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 23 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "Staying in Naples is his priority"
- 22 May 06:30 NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "He would be happy to train Real Madrid"
- 21 May 15:30 AC MILAN, Meeting with Ancelotti in Madrid
- 21 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are not after Cavani"
- 20 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I could remain here forever"
- 19 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? It's not only up to me"
- 18 May 00:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Maxi Lopez will stay"
- 17 May 03:00 INTER, Kovacic: "My future? I am happy here"
- 16 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Thohir wants to build a competitive team"
- 15 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? We'll see,,"
- 14 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "My future? I have a contract"
- 13 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Menez's agent: "Liverpool and Monaco? Just rumours"
- 12 May 14:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Cerci returning? Never say never. I want to stay"
- 12 May 00:00 MILAN, Galliani: "Gabigol? We'll see.."
- 11 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "We'll respect Handanovic's will"
- 10 May 10:00 AS ROMA, Sabatini: "We want to keep Nainggolan"
- 09 May 00:00 INTER, Podolski: "I could stay"
- 08 May 11:00 BREAKING NEWS - AC MILAN, Unai Emery agrees move to Italian club
- 08 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 07 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are after Dybala and Cavani"
- 06 May 11:22 AC MILAN, Next Friday Berlusconi will have a meeting with the Chinese network
- 06 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "He will stay"
- 05 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez's agent: "No contacts with Juve"
- 04 May 11:30 ITALY/ JUVE, Pirlo "Away from Ac Milan, because I needed other motivations"
- 04 May 11:14 MILAN, Bee Taechaubol: "Serie A was the league to watch for me,Serie A was the league to watch for me"
- 04 May 10:59 JUVENTUS, Morata: "I have nothing to prove to anyone"
- 04 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 03 May 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba not for sale"
- 01 May 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Honoured by Napoli interest"
- 30 Apr 06:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "I hope Tevez will stay"
- 29 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Soldati: "Many clubs after Allan, but.."
- 28 Apr 18:36 AC MILAN, Galliani on club's future: "A passage of ownership would be only for the club's benefit"
- 28 Apr 17:06 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "We have to try and get back to winning ways"
- 28 Apr 16:50 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "All the players immediately agreed the retreat"
- 28 Apr 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Podolski wants to rejoin Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Soon we'll talk about Ventura's new deal"
- 26 Apr 11:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Garcia stays"
- 25 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Alonso: "I will stay"
- 24 Apr 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE, The Road to Warszaw: Napoli-Dnipro and FC Seville-Fiorentina
- 24 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "My future? I am focused on my club"
- 23 Apr 00:00 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 22 Apr 00:00 PALERMO, Vazquez: "My future? I would like to play in England"
- 21 Apr 00:00 INTER, Hernanes: "I will stay"
- 20 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We'll try to sign Dybala"
- 19 Apr 11:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "I will do all I can to stay"
- 18 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "Saint-Etienne are after him"
- 17 Apr 18:43 INTER, Shaqiri: "We want to win the derby in a Nerazzurri Meazza"
- 17 Apr 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Soriano: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 16 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We want to keep Icardi and Handanovic"
- 14 Apr 18:14 JUVENTUS, Pirlo: "You need a lot of different ingredients to go all the way in the Champions"
- 11 Apr 00:00 AC MILAN, Mexes: "I hope to remain"
- 10 Apr 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "OM? I am happy here"
- 09 Apr 11:11 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis threatens to cancel squad's holidays
- 08 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "I could end my career here"
- 07 Apr 18:59 AC MILAN, Cerci confident theycan qualify for Europa League
- 07 Apr 00:00 ATALANTA, Baselli's agent: "Fiorentina agreable destination"
- 06 Apr 00:00 AS ROMA, Pjanic: "It would be nice if Dzeko would join us"
- 05 Apr 10:00 FIORENTINA, Diamanti: "I want to stay"
- 04 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Keita's agent: "No offer from City"
- 03 Apr 01:00 JUVENTUS, Marrone: "I fight because I want to stay"
- 02 Apr 13:14 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "I have forgiven Juventus fans for backlash"
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "It's not time for me to leave"
- 30 Mar 00:00 LAZIO, De Vrij: "United? I'm happy here"
- 29 Mar 12:30 INTER, Kovacic's agent: "Nothing true about Liverpool"
- 28 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN. De Jong: "Back to Ajax? Too early"
- 27 Mar 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Soriano: "Honored by Borussia interest"
- 26 Mar 14:00 ITALY, Moggi: "I will return to football"
- 26 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gonzalo Rodriguez: "I am happy here"
- 25 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Joaquin: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 24 Mar 19:30 INTER, Shaqiri: "Here with big long-term plans. Then I'll close my career at Basel"
- 24 Mar 00:00 INTER, Kovacic's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 23 Mar 00:00 LAZIO, Klose: "My future? I haven't decided yet"
- 22 Mar 10:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "We don't know anything about Pogba's future"
- 21 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "My future? The team is with me"
- 20 Mar 16:59 FIORENTINA, Mencucci: "We wanted to avoid Napoli"
- 20 Mar 16:30 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini about Balotelli: "He must focus on football"
- 20 Mar 09:42 FIORENTINA, Borja: "Patient game serves us well"
- 19 Mar 00:00 NAPOLI, Maggio: "Signing a new deal is not my priority"
- 18 Mar 18:44 INTER, Mancini: "Pellegrini lucky to inherit my Man City team"
- 18 Mar 17:02 INTER, Thohir message to the team
- 18 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "We are in talks for the new contract"
- 17 Mar 19:44 INTER, Ranocchia about Wolfsburg: "It’s a win-or-bust match"
- 17 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "Montella will stay"
- 16 Mar 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Munoz: "I'm not thinking about Milan"
- 15 Mar 10:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Interest for Dybala"
- 14 Mar 06:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "Soon he will renew"
- 13 Mar 00:00 INTER, Zanetti: "Icardi is about to renew"
- 12 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "I won't leave"
- 11 Mar 14:22 PARMA, American fund from Boston interested in purchasing crisis-bond club
- 11 Mar 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 10 Mar 14:30 SAMPDORIA, Eder might be called up for Italian NT
- 10 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I'm not thinking about my future"
- 09 Mar 00:00 INTER, Fassone: "We want to keep Icardi"
- 08 Mar 09:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "My future? I haven't seen anybody"
- 07 Mar 00:00 GENOA, Iago Falque: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 06 Mar 18:15 JUVENTUS, Padoin: "Eager to turn the tables in Florence"
- 06 Mar 11:00 AC MILAN, 6 names for Inzaghi's succession
- 06 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He could stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 18:44 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Albertazzi: "I'm doing well, I've started running again"
- 05 Mar 00:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "My future? I am happy here"
- 23 May 09:00 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Samir likely to join
- 23 May 08:30 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Terziew
- 23 May 07:57 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Renard is no longer the NT coach
- 23 May 07:27 OL, Fekir: "I dream of Barcelona"
- 23 May 06:59 BAYERN, Pizarro: "My future? I would like to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 23 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Happy if De Gea joins us"
- 23 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "Staying in Naples is his priority"
- 22 May 23:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Jemez renews with Rayo
- 22 May 23:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Martinez farther
- 22 May 22:59 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Agreement with Rémy
- 22 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also Wolfsburg after Khedira
- 22 May 22:20 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Sprint for Sergio Diaz
- 22 May 22:00 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Two clubs after Ochoa
- 22 May 21:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Moreira back to Fluminense
- 22 May 21:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Offer for Tore
- 22 May 20:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Two German clubs after Ogbonna
- 22 May 20:39 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Eraso likely to join
- 22 May 20:20 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Bruges sign Diaby
- 22 May 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Barcelona FC, Braida on mission for Verratti as a heir to Xavi
- 22 May 19:45 ITALY/ INTER, Survey on Caicedo
- 22 May 19:30 BREAKING NEWS - SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Planning a cash offer for Bellerín
- 22 May 19:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Donsah can be signed and then loaned to Sassuolo
- 22 May 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Swansea City about to try again signing Mario Gomez
- 22 May 18:48 ITALY/ UDINESE, Arm wrestling against Chievo for Paloschi
- 22 May 18:36 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for Kranevitter ready
- 22 May 18:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger reveals Rosicky's renewal
- 22 May 18:12 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Matri won't be purchased from AC Milan despite Coppa Italia victory goal
- 22 May 18:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Suggestion for Jorginho
- 22 May 17:48 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ NAPOLI, Reina agrees on new 3 years deal
- 22 May 17:36 ITALY/ INTER, Schelotto might be the key for signing Zukanovic
- 22 May 17:24 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Celta Vigo icon Borja Oubiña quits pro football
- 22 May 17:12 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Approaching N'Sikulu
- 22 May 17:00 BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL & JUVENTUS, Italy-UK twist is on: Wenger wants Vidal
- 22 May 16:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Jovetic's agent: "He's happy, but summer is long, and anything can happen"
- 22 May 16:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Survey on Nolito
- 22 May 16:15 ITALY/ INTER, Planning an offer for Mayke
- 22 May 16:00 SWITZERLAND/ GRASSHOPPERS, 2 German and one English suitors for Kamberi
- 22 May 15:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Majestic offer to Arsenal ready for Ramsey
- 22 May 15:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Glik's agent negotiating on renewal
- 22 May 15:15 ATHLETIC BILBAO/ OFFICIAL, Manager Valverde renews
- 22 May 15:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Approaching Gashi
- 22 May 14:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AC Milan survey Santos' new Neymar Geuvanio
- 22 May 14:28 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus, London calling: mission for Oscar
- 22 May 14:13 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers expects Sterling to stay
- 22 May 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace, Speroni pens new deal
- 22 May 13:44 FRANCE/ PSG, Willing to pay €125M for Ronaldo
- 22 May 13:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger dismissed Ramsey story
- 22 May 13:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Rosicky will stay
- 22 May 13:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Dzemaili
In search for a replacement for Dani Alves, with both Torino's Matteo Darmian and FC Seville's Aleix Vidal on target, Barcelona FC management, through the effort of chief executive Ariedo Braida, are planning a cash offer to be submitted to Arsenal, in order to sign Spani
As reported by Radio Crc, Joao Santos, agent of Napoli midfielder Jorginho, has declared: "His future? Napoli is his priority, there are many rum
Interviewed by La Sexta, Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has declared: "Would I be happy if De Gea would join us? Of course! My future? I wi
Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has declared about 27-year-old goalkeeper Asmir Begovic: "Asmir is very much our player, which we are really pleas
Interviewed by Canal+, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared about 23-year-old forward Alexandre Lacazette: "We will do everything we can t
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund Sporting Director Michael Zorc has declared about 26-year-old center back Mats Hummels: "It was legitima