INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 01 Aug 00:00 INTER, Taider's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 31 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I want to stay"
- 31 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Callejon's agent: "No contacts with Chelsea"
- 30 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 29 Jul 00:00 ATALANTA, Sartori: "Denis will stay"
- 28 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Draxler? There's no hurry"
- 27 Jul 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "Real were after me, but I asked to stay"
- 25 Jul 12:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic: "Happy to stay"
- 24 Jul 09:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez: "Colo Colo? I have a contract, we'll see"
- 23 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "We don't want to sell anybody"
- 22 Jul 06:00 AC MILAN, Menez's agent: "He will stay for sure"
- 18 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Rugani's agent: "Napoli? Juve want to keep him"
- 17 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Petrachi: "We're seeking a forward"
- 14 Jul 13:45 JUVENTUS, Tevez's transfer to Boca Juniors sums and details disclosed
- 13 Jul 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We are observing Salah's situation"
- 11 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Angelozzi: "We are not after El Kaddouri"
- 10 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Berardi's agent: "He won't join Juve before 2016"
- 09 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Sepe's agent: "He could join Fiorentina"
- 08 Jul 00:00 SASSUOLO, Vrsaljko's agent: "We are waiting for Napoli"
- 06 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Peres' agent: "Ready for a great club"
- 02 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Gargano's agent: "Monterrey is not his only option"
- 01 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Rafael's agent: "Next week a decision about his future"
- 30 Jun 00:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "Five clubs after him"
- 27 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 26 Jun 00:00 INTER, Shaqiri: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Jun 00:00 INTER, Guarin's agent: "No contacts with Fenerbahçe"
- 24 Jun 00:00 AS ROMA, Destro: "Nothing true about Monaco"
- 23 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Llorente; "My future? I have to talk with the club"
- 22 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Sevilla want Rami, we're in talks"
- 21 Jun 09:00 PALERMO, Gonzalez's agent: "At least three big clubs after him"
- 20 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Also Juve are after Kondogbia"
- 19 Jun 00:00 UDINESE, Widmer's agent: "No offer from Roma"
- 18 Jun 09:00 JUVENTUS, Rugani's agent: "Napoli are interested, but.."
- 17 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez's agent: "Boca? We have to see..."
- 16 Jun 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He will probably sign a new deal"
- 15 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Evra: "I don't think the club will let Pogba leave"
- 14 Jun 06:00 JUVENTUS, Morata: "My future? I'm happy here"
- 13 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "I'd like to stay, but.."
- 12 Jun 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I will stay"
- 11 Jun 19:00 SAMPDORIA/ OFFICIAL, Walter Zenga is the new manager
- 11 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Keita's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 10 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves's agent: "He had better offers, but.."
- 10 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani's agent: "His future? We have to wait"
- 09 Jun 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He could end his career here"
- 08 Jun 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori's agent: "He'll join the club with the best project"
- 07 Jun 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "I hope that Pirlo will stay"
- 06 Jun 08:00 INTER, Guarin's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 05 Jun 16:39 AC MILAN, Berlusconi-Mr.Bee meeting at Arcore
- 05 Jun 00:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson: "My future is here"
- 04 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Zapata's agent: "He could stay"
- 03 Jun 17:20 ARGENTINA/ BANFIELD, Almeyda: "I want to continue here. In the future Lazio"
- 03 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Ledesma's agent: "Kansas City? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 01 Jun 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "I want to stay"
- 31 May 08:30 INTER, Mancini: "I hope that all the good players will stay"
- 30 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I hope Ancelotti wil join us"
- 29 May 03:57 HELLAS VERONA, Rafa Marquez: "Ronaldo doesn't deserve to win Ballon d'Or "
- 28 May 16:10 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ancelotti will decide on Wednesday"
- 28 May 16:03 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis about Bigon: "Changing after 6 years is normal"
- 28 May 15:24 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "I'll get Benitez a good contract for Real Madrid!"
- 28 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "I don't think Mandzukic will join us"
- 27 May 18:59 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I hope Ancelotti will accept"
- 27 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "If Inzaghi stays, I leave"
- 26 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We like Mandzukic"
- 25 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Alex: "I want to stay, but..."
- 24 May 06:30 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba unsellable, Vidal will stay"
- 23 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "Staying in Naples is his priority"
- 22 May 06:30 NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "He would be happy to train Real Madrid"
- 21 May 15:30 AC MILAN, Meeting with Ancelotti in Madrid
- 21 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are not after Cavani"
- 20 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I could remain here forever"
- 19 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? It's not only up to me"
- 18 May 00:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Maxi Lopez will stay"
- 17 May 03:00 INTER, Kovacic: "My future? I am happy here"
- 16 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Thohir wants to build a competitive team"
- 15 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "My future? We'll see,,"
- 14 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "My future? I have a contract"
- 13 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Menez's agent: "Liverpool and Monaco? Just rumours"
- 12 May 14:00 TORINO, Ventura: "Cerci returning? Never say never. I want to stay"
- 12 May 00:00 MILAN, Galliani: "Gabigol? We'll see.."
- 11 May 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "We'll respect Handanovic's will"
- 10 May 10:00 AS ROMA, Sabatini: "We want to keep Nainggolan"
- 09 May 00:00 INTER, Podolski: "I could stay"
- 08 May 11:00 BREAKING NEWS - AC MILAN, Unai Emery agrees move to Italian club
- 08 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 07 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are after Dybala and Cavani"
- 06 May 11:22 AC MILAN, Next Friday Berlusconi will have a meeting with the Chinese network
- 06 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "He will stay"
- 05 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez's agent: "No contacts with Juve"
- 04 May 11:30 ITALY/ JUVE, Pirlo "Away from Ac Milan, because I needed other motivations"
- 04 May 11:14 MILAN, Bee Taechaubol: "Serie A was the league to watch for me,Serie A was the league to watch for me"
- 04 May 10:59 JUVENTUS, Morata: "I have nothing to prove to anyone"
- 04 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 03 May 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba not for sale"
- 01 May 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Honoured by Napoli interest"
- 30 Apr 06:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "I hope Tevez will stay"
- 29 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Soldati: "Many clubs after Allan, but.."
- 28 Apr 18:36 AC MILAN, Galliani on club's future: "A passage of ownership would be only for the club's benefit"
- 28 Apr 17:06 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "We have to try and get back to winning ways"
- 28 Apr 16:50 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "All the players immediately agreed the retreat"
- 02 Aug 00:00 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Gaitán about to join
- 01 Aug 23:28 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Survey on Paloschi
- 01 Aug 22:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Callejon's agent: "Nothing true about Inter, I think he'll stay put"
- 01 Aug 22:30 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Denis nmore and more as a primary target
- 01 Aug 22:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Berbatov can be signed on Monday
- 01 Aug 21:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Edu Vargas tempted by O.M. Qatari offers refused
- 01 Aug 20:57 BREAKING NEWS - FRANCE/ O.L., Rafael about to join: agreement reached
- 01 Aug 20:29 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New offer to Newcastle for Moussa Sissoko
- 01 Aug 19:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City loan Agyepong to Twente
- 01 Aug 19:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Medicals for Defrel next Monday
- 01 Aug 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City sign Hayden from Arsenal
- 01 Aug 18:27 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Süle renews for Hoffenheim
- 01 Aug 17:57 ITALY/ INTER, Longo about to be loaned out again: deal with Frosinone
- 01 Aug 17:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norwich City sign Kean
- 01 Aug 16:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Gazélec Ajaccio sign Mangane
- 01 Aug 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal loan Crowley to Barnsley
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Birmingham sign Toral from Arsenal and loan Johnstone out
- 01 Aug 15:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sheffield Wednesday sign Lucas Joao and renews with Lees
- 01 Aug 14:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Evian sign Campanharo and Da Cruz
- 01 Aug 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Dávila again to Vitoria Setubal
- 01 Aug 12:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Etoundi
- 01 Aug 11:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Oshaniwa joins Hearts of Midlothian
- 01 Aug 10:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica loan Pelé and Romario Baldé out
- 01 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ntcham joins Genoa
- 01 Aug 08:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Sidibé renews with Lille
- 01 Aug 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Immobile injured
- 01 Aug 07:27 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Soon a meeting with the club"
- 01 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I haven't decided if I will extend my contract"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 01 Aug 00:00 INTER, Taider's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 31 Jul 23:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Baker renews with Aston Villa
- 31 Jul 23:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New offer for Romagnoli ready
- 31 Jul 22:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Diers renews with Angers
- 31 Jul 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Jones renews with Everton
- 31 Jul 22:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Rodriguez
- 31 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Saint-Maximin joins Hannover
- 31 Jul 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa sign Veretout
- 31 Jul 21:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fontas renews with Celta
- 31 Jul 20:39 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Davila joins Vitoria
- 31 Jul 20:20 URUGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Aguirregaray joins Penarol
- 31 Jul 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Roco joins Espanyol
- 31 Jul 19:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Kortrijk sign Kage
- 31 Jul 19:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Inverness sign Mbuyi-Mutombo
- 31 Jul 19:16 MONTREAL, Drogba: "I won't be a burden to Montreal Impact"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 31 Jul 18:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Next week meeting for Thiago Motta future
- 31 Jul 18:15 ITALY/ LAZIO & INTER, Duel with Tottenham for Susic
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
While Angel Di Maria is about to flee to Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal is now likely to succeed in replacing him with Argentinian international offensive midfielder and winger Nicolás Gaitán (27). An age peer of Fideo's, the
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Paolo Busardò, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Saphir Taider, has declared: "We are receiving many offers. We&
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has told Espn: "The team is what it is. It has been put together. We have the team that our coach wanted
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "About Javier Hernandez, those are rumours and nothing more. There is nothing concrete. He is
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Alessandro Canovi, agent of PSG midfielder Thiago Motta, has declared: "My client will meet his club's executives
As reported by AS, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared: "I still haven't decided if I will extend my deal or not. In any case, I h