INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 31 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He will honor his contract"
- 30 Jan 17:55 AS ROMA, Strootman underwent arthroscopic treatment in his left knee today
- 30 Jan 11:53 ENLGAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sturridge expects Gerrard return
- 30 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Selling Inler would be nonsense"
- 29 Jan 15:29 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "We know we’re going through a difficult moment"
- 29 Jan 13:56 INTER, Brozovic: "It's a dream come true for me to be here"
- 29 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We are waiting for Destro's answer"
- 28 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 27 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "His future? We'll see"
- 26 Jan 15:41 AC MILAN, Menez: "The players are always with Inzaghi"
- 26 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I would like to end my career here"
- 25 Jan 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 24 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Benitez wants to stay"
- 23 Jan 00:00 PARMA, Kodra: "We were about to sign Balotelli"
- 22 Jan 18:02 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I would like to be important for the team"
- 22 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "He could extend his deal"
- 21 Jan 16:44 AC MILAN, Mexes: "We must not look for excuses"
- 21 Jan 00:00 INTER, M'Vila's agent: "QPR are the most interested in him"
- 20 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We want to keep Pogba"
- 19 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "I'm not thinking about my future"
- 18 Jan 06:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Destro will probably stay"
- 17 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ledesma's agent: "His future remains uncertain"
- 16 Jan 17:52 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "We put in a convincing performance yesterday"
- 16 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Essien's agent: "He won't extend his deal"
- 15 Jan 18:13 AC MILAN, Bonaventura: "Cerci is a fast player and he has a great left foot"
- 15 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 14 Jan 18:15 INTER, Shaqiri: "This one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 14 Jan 17:59 AC MILAN, De Jong: "We must continue to work"
- 14 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He won't leave in January"
- 13 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He will leave at the right moment"
- 12 Jan 00:00 JUVE, Marotta: "Gala won't let Sneijder leave"
- 11 Jan 06:00 INTER, Mancini: "The market? We may sign other players"
- 10 Jan 00:00 AS ROMA, Destro's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 09 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "Honoured by Real Madrid's interest"
- 08 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will remain until June"
- 07 Jan 18:01 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Cerci...We tried to sign him this summer"
- 07 Jan 00:00 INTER, Handanovic: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 05 Jan 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I am about to renew"
- 04 Jan 06:59 JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "We want to be among the top eight teams on the continent"
- 03 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "Two options for his future"
- 02 Jan 06:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "Next Summer everything can happen"
- 01 Jan 00:00 AS ROMA, Ljajic: "Here for at least ten years"
- 31 Dec 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "He will stay"
- 30 Dec 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "No contacts with Fiorentina"
- 29 Dec 15:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alexis: "Am I the star at Gunners? I'm just another player"
- 29 Dec 00:00 LAZIO, Klose: "In January I won't move"
- 28 Dec 06:00 UDINESE, Muriel: "I am about to join Sampdoria"
- 25 Dec 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Gabbiadini won't be our only signing"
- 24 Dec 06:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "As long as they don't kick me out..."
- 23 Dec 00:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "He will remain until the end of the season"
- 22 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We are not after Lennon"
- 21 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We'll do something on the transfer market"
- 20 Dec 00:00 AC MILAN, Essien's agent: "He won't leave in January"
- 19 Dec 18:14 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez: " I couldn't stay at Real Madrid once Navas arrived"
- 19 Dec 00:00 FIORENTINA, Rodriguez: "I would like to end my career at San Lorenzo"
- 18 Dec 07:17 AC MILAN, Bonera: "Victory over Napoli give us confidence for facing AS Roma"
- 16 Dec 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "Boca? No, I'll remain here"
- 15 Dec 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Torres going nowhere"
- 12 Dec 18:48 AC MILAN, Berlusconi: "I am sure that with this squad we can qualify for the Champions"
- 12 Dec 00:00 ROMA, Baldissoni: "Strootman going nowhere"
- 11 Dec 00:00 LAZIO, Tare: "We are not after Andreolli"
- 10 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "No contacts for Inan"
- 09 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Lucas Silva? After Christmas we'll see"
- 09 Dec 00:00 PALERMO, Dybala: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 08 Dec 06:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "We want to reinforce our team"
- 07 Dec 06:00 ROMA, Florenzi: "The new contract? We'll see..."
- 06 Dec 00:00 PALERMO, Baccin: "Dybala going nowhere"
- 05 Dec 00:00 UDINESE, Soldati: "I don't think Widmer will leave in January"
- 04 Dec 00:00 FIORENTINA, Savic: "No contacts with Juve"
- 03 Dec 17:13 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Ronaldo deserves Ballon d'Or, but Messi is still the best"
- 03 Dec 17:00 AS ROMA, Castan underwent neurosurgery this morning
- 03 Dec 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 02 Dec 17:50 AC MILAN, Bonera: "What Adriano Galliani said is very true..."
- 02 Dec 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 01 Dec 00:00 LAZIO, Gonzalez: "If I don't get to play, I'll leave"
- 30 Nov 06:00 FIORENTINA, Richards: "Coming here was the right decision"
- 29 Nov 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "No negotiations for the new deal"
- 28 Nov 00:00 FIORENTINA, Mencucci: "Still in talks with Neto"
- 27 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba is not for sale"
- 26 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 24 Nov 20:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Against CSKA it will not be easy"
- 24 Nov 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Confidence in Ventura"
- 23 Nov 06:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I'm happy here"
- 22 Nov 06:00 GENOA, Kucka: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 21 Nov 16:59 INTER, Thohir: "We're building our five-year business plan"
- 21 Nov 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia: "I am happy here"
- 20 Nov 21:00 AC MILAN, Abbiati: "The best goal in the derby? In my opinion Shevchenko’s in the second leg of the Champions"
- 20 Nov 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I could stay for 10 years"
- 19 Nov 18:00 AC MILAN, Van Bommel: "De Jong? He is almost like me, playing for the team not for himself"
- 19 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco: "I don't think I will leave in January"
- 18 Nov 00:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Destro going nowhere"
- 17 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We have refused United's offer for Vidal"
- 16 Nov 06:00 JUVENTUS, Morata: "I don't know if I will rejoin Real"
- 15 Nov 00:00 INTER, Thohir: "Happy to welcome back Roberto Mancini"
- 14 Nov 00:00 ROMA, De Sanctis: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 13 Nov 00:00 UDINESE, Widmer: "My future? I am happy here"
- 12 Nov 00:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "No offers from Barça and Atletico"
- 11 Nov 00:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic's agent: "We'll make a decision with the club"
- 10 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Optimistic about Lichtsteiner's new contract"
- 08 Nov 00:00 NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Feb 02:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew wants to hire Zaha back from United
- 01 Feb 01:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Wellington Paulista joins Coritiba on loan from Internacional
- 01 Feb 01:17 ENGLAND/ QPR, 2 UAE suitors for Taarabt
- 01 Feb 00:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Working on Gignac for next summer
- 01 Feb 00:39 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Eskisehirspor sign Serdar Bingol
- 01 Feb 00:20 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Fuchs offered to AS Roma
- 01 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL & LIVERPOOL, Reopening on Arda Turan
- 31 Jan 23:39 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, In talks with Mpoku
- 31 Jan 23:20 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Fletcher unlikely to join
- 31 Jan 23:00 SWITZERLAND/ FC BASEL, 3 suitors for Marcelo Diaz
- 31 Jan 22:37 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Majestic offer submitted to Besiktas for Gokhan Tore
- 31 Jan 22:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Mavuba on target
- 31 Jan 21:59 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for Borriello: waiting for an answer
- 31 Jan 21:39 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Approaching Ben Yedder for 2016
- 31 Jan 21:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Trabzonspor loan Emre Gural
- 31 Jan 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Cassano over FC Sion
- 31 Jan 20:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Matheus Carvalho
- 31 Jan 20:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City loan Topliss out
- 31 Jan 19:59 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ibarbo is near: the sums
- 31 Jan 19:39 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Arouca joins Palmeiras
- 31 Jan 19:20 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cuadrado's announcement expected soon
- 31 Jan 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sampdoria about to make it for Spolli
- 31 Jan 18:37 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ajax sign Sinkgraven
- 31 Jan 18:17 ITALY/ TORINO, Alvaro Gonzalez about to join
- 31 Jan 17:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bruno Uvini about to join Sporting Lisbon
- 31 Jan 17:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fetfatzidis joins Chievo Verona
- 31 Jan 17:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AS Roma sign Doumbia
- 31 Jan 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger wants Lloris
- 31 Jan 16:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Danic joins Bastia
- 31 Jan 16:17 BELGIUM/ STANDARD LIEGE, Cyprien likely to join
- 31 Jan 15:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Laxalt joins Genoa
- 31 Jan 15:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Offer to WBA for signing Samaras
- 31 Jan 15:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Palermo sign Danilo Ortiz
- 31 Jan 15:00 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, New renewal offer to captain Magnanelli
- 31 Jan 14:27 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Mahlangu
- 31 Jan 13:57 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Lanùs sign Leto again
- 31 Jan 13:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina loan Beleck out
- 31 Jan 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City loan Zuculini out again
- 31 Jan 12:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Grady joins Sheffield United back
- 31 Jan 12:00 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ajax loan Duarte to Heerenveen
- 31 Jan 11:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bryan Ruiz joins Levante
- 31 Jan 10:57 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Serey Die about to join from FC Basel
- 31 Jan 10:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Malaga sign Nwakali
- 31 Jan 09:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Vrsaljko
- 31 Jan 09:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria sign Casado
- 31 Jan 09:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiakos sign Felipe Santana
- 31 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He will honor his contract"
- 30 Jan 23:37 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Marica could come back
- 30 Jan 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Dragovic
- 30 Jan 22:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace sign Pape Souaré
After an unsuccessful experience at Manchester United (which purchased him from Crystal Palace on a 9 million pounds payment) during the first half of 2013/14, English Under-21 international winger and forward Wilfried Zaha (22) is getting less and less likely to be included back
Interviewed by FcInter1908.it, Silvano Martina, agent of Inter Milan defender Nemanja Vidic, has declared: "Why should he leave? He is playing. H
Interviewed by RAC 1, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi and Luis Enrique? They are very well, tensions are normal, bu
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has declared about the possibility to sign Manchester United 30-year-old midfielder Darren Fletcher: "It's sti
Interviewed by RMC, OM attacking midfielder Florian Thauvin has declared: "Leaving this club last summer, after just one year, was not part of my
Interviewed by Die Welt, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "My players are focused on the season, and I have positive sensations