INTER, Branca: "Winning takes time"
04.09.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Three days after the end of the summer transfer window, F.C. Internazionale’s technical director Marco Branca gave an exclusive interview to Andrea Paventi of Sky Sport 24.
What do you put yesterday’s defeat down to? Was the side missing a bit of character?
"I wouldn’t say a lack of character, on the contrary, I liked the way the players reacted after Roma’s opening goal on 15 minutes. I was very happy with the character shown by the team at the end of the first half - just like in Europe three days prior to that – considering a number of factors: we’ve made a lot of changes, we’ve got a new midfield, a few new defenders – because I think of Ranocchia as new because he was a little relaxed last season, but this year we’ve already seen what he’s made of – a new strikeforce and everyone has shown great potential. Potential in terms of fitness, character, technique and movement. We had an average start to the second period, then we conceded another goal which could have been avoided, given our tactical, technical and physical ability. From a psychological perspective we had less nervous energy because we’d spent most of it three days before. However, when we look at all these factors together - new players, the clear approach that the coach and club have taken - we just need to be a little patient to find that balance in the side. That’s what will make the difference. I think the three points are the most important thing on the night itself, but I think there’s reason to be positive this morning because the signs are good."
You spoke about patience. Is this the same approach the club are going to take with the coach, even if results are a bit up and down? It’s easy to appoint a young coach and think that if a little while later things aren’t going well, then the situation will be reviewed.
"I think it’s easy from the outside, and you can understand that. We know there are rules, and we need to accept these rules both in the good and bad times. We need to be strong, it’s no coincidence we’re called professionals as we need to be strong to deal with that. It won’t only be a case of patience, but it’s to do with the confidence, the great confidence we have shown in the coach since the end of last season. We know very well that people who do this job develop at different speeds. We had to be patient in Mancini’s first season for example but again we had great faith in him. Then later, gradually – because you can’t change things overnight – we improved, we achieved great things starting with a small success, when we won the Coppa Italia. We’re in the same position this season because we’ve freshened up the squad, we’ve got players who are very motivated, there are things to work on but we must keep the faith and be patient."
In this transfer season that just concluded Inter spent more than they have since the Mourinho era, both in terms of fees paid and the number of personnel brought in. How was that made possible in your opinion? Does much of that have to do with the confidence that the club has in the coach?
"Sorry to contradict you, but that’s really not the case since in Mourinho’s first year we spent more than 60 million euros. In the second year – considering the fact that we conducted a deal that divided opinions and not everyone saw as positive at the time due to the departure of Ibrahimovic – we were able to spend precisely because we had the money. This year we had a transfer campaign full of changes but one that was very different because, if the that one brought us bigger signings, this year’s allowed us to lower our transfer budget by close to 40 million euros, and this is something that needed to be done, even if we didn’t want to. When the season gets underway the fans are interested in this type of discussion up to a point, and when the season gets underway it’s not a fundamental discussion but we need to be serious professionals and that’s why we did it. It’s also something we did to the fullest of the possibilities. Regarding possible additions, it seems to me that we managed to bring some players to Inter who are highly motivated and have great potential."
At this moment why was it right to complete a transaction like the one for Cassano, who could have been of interest in the Mancini era?
"Because there are questions of timing, opportunities, moments and projects that are different, since probably six, seven, eight years ago there were plans for other types of players. And it also may be that Cassano today is completely different than what he was eight years ago. There are certain things in the transfer market that always work from a timing standpoint; you can never establish 100%, or even 75%, how your transfer campaign will go when you reach 1 July, because the opportunities change for everyone on a daily basis and so you have to do well and be capable of seizing those moments when they come along. I believe that, from this point of view, we made the most of the opportunities that this transfer market could offer us and we’re satisfied with the potential we have. Now we need to work on this potential."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 28 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN. De Jong: "Back to Ajax? Too early"
- 27 Mar 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Soriano: "Honored by Borussia interest"
- 26 Mar 14:00 ITALY, Moggi: "I will return to football"
- 26 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gonzalo Rodriguez: "I am happy here"
- 25 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Joaquin: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 24 Mar 19:30 INTER, Shaqiri: "Here with big long-term plans. Then I'll close my career at Basel"
- 24 Mar 00:00 INTER, Kovacic's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 23 Mar 00:00 LAZIO, Klose: "My future? I haven't decided yet"
- 22 Mar 10:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "We don't know anything about Pogba's future"
- 21 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "My future? The team is with me"
- 20 Mar 16:59 FIORENTINA, Mencucci: "We wanted to avoid Napoli"
- 20 Mar 16:30 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini about Balotelli: "He must focus on football"
- 20 Mar 09:42 FIORENTINA, Borja: "Patient game serves us well"
- 19 Mar 00:00 NAPOLI, Maggio: "Signing a new deal is not my priority"
- 18 Mar 18:44 INTER, Mancini: "Pellegrini lucky to inherit my Man City team"
- 18 Mar 17:02 INTER, Thohir message to the team
- 18 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "We are in talks for the new contract"
- 17 Mar 19:44 INTER, Ranocchia about Wolfsburg: "It’s a win-or-bust match"
- 17 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "Montella will stay"
- 16 Mar 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Munoz: "I'm not thinking about Milan"
- 15 Mar 10:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Interest for Dybala"
- 14 Mar 06:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "Soon he will renew"
- 13 Mar 00:00 INTER, Zanetti: "Icardi is about to renew"
- 12 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "I won't leave"
- 11 Mar 14:22 PARMA, American fund from Boston interested in purchasing crisis-bond club
- 11 Mar 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 10 Mar 14:30 SAMPDORIA, Eder might be called up for Italian NT
- 10 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I'm not thinking about my future"
- 09 Mar 00:00 INTER, Fassone: "We want to keep Icardi"
- 08 Mar 09:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "My future? I haven't seen anybody"
- 07 Mar 00:00 GENOA, Iago Falque: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 06 Mar 18:15 JUVENTUS, Padoin: "Eager to turn the tables in Florence"
- 06 Mar 11:00 AC MILAN, 6 names for Inzaghi's succession
- 06 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He could stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 18:44 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Albertazzi: "I'm doing well, I've started running again"
- 05 Mar 00:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "My future? I am happy here"
- 04 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Neto's agent: "Juve? We'll see.."
- 03 Mar 00:00 PSG, Menez: "No regrets about PSG"
- 02 Mar 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Icardi will be part of our future"
- 01 Mar 06:00 FIORENTINA, Neto: "I am happy in Florence, but.."
- 28 Feb 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We were about to sign Falcao"
- 27 Feb 20:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "I’ve always said that consistency is important"
- 27 Feb 14:22 EUROPA LEAGUE, Eighth finals draws: two national derbys
- 27 Feb 13:26 AS ROMA v FIORENTINA, Europa League Italian derby
- 27 Feb 11:45 INTER, Ranocchia after EL victory over Celtic: "We took some risks, but great performance"
- 27 Feb 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Milan? I am ready"
- 25 Feb 10:14 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "It will be a tough return leg against Borussia"
- 25 Feb 09:58 JUVENTUS, Chiellini about Champions: “Still work to be done”
- 25 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Many clubs after Zapata"
- 24 Feb 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We want Icardi and Handanovic to renew"
- 23 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "Roma? I am focused on my team"
- 22 Feb 06:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 20 Feb 13:31 INTER, Guarin: "Gutsy display, shame about their third"
- 20 Feb 13:22 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "We should have won it"
- 20 Feb 02:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "Do everything to restore winning ways"
- 19 Feb 19:15 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "The Scudetto is not a given"
- 19 Feb 18:04 ITALY, Feyenoord fans clash with police ahead of Roma clash
- 19 Feb 03:00 AC MILAN, Essien: "We must give a smile to our fans"
- 18 Feb 14:44 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Borja Valero: "I'll end my career here"
- 18 Feb 00:00 INTER, Icardi turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Feb 11:01 TMW - Sacchi: "There are too many 'blacks' in Italian youth teams"
- 17 Feb 00:00 INTER, Podolski: "My future? Next month we'll see"
- 16 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar: "We are working on my new contract"
- 14 Feb 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Yaya Touré? If he wants to come to Italy.."
- 13 Feb 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "The new contract? I am confident in my agent"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I would be happy to renew"
- 12 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Hamsik's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 11 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Maggio's agent: "No meeting scheduled for the renewal"
- 10 Feb 00:00 PALERMO, Micciché: "Dybala? Many clubs after him"
- 09 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Allan? Interesting player"
- 08 Feb 09:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "No hurry about his departure"
- 07 Feb 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Yaya Touré? Difficult"
- 06 Feb 00:00 INTER. Osvaldo: "Boca is my dream"
- 05 Feb 00:00 SASSUOLO, Sansone: "I dream of moving back to Bayern"
- 04 Feb 17:14 AS ROMA, Europa League: the Giallorossi’s list of players
- 04 Feb 11:59 AC MILAN, here the new stadium
- 04 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Savic: "Juve? I am happy in Florence"
- 03 Feb 11:54 SAMPDORIA, Eto'o-Mihajlovic fight at first sight: club in trouble
- 02 Feb 00:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I am staying"
- 31 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He will honor his contract"
- 30 Jan 17:55 AS ROMA, Strootman underwent arthroscopic treatment in his left knee today
- 30 Jan 11:53 ENLGAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sturridge expects Gerrard return
- 30 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Selling Inler would be nonsense"
- 29 Jan 15:29 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "We know we’re going through a difficult moment"
- 29 Jan 13:56 INTER, Brozovic: "It's a dream come true for me to be here"
- 29 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We are waiting for Destro's answer"
- 28 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 27 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "His future? We'll see"
- 26 Jan 15:41 AC MILAN, Menez: "The players are always with Inzaghi"
- 26 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I would like to end my career here"
- 25 Jan 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 24 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Benitez wants to stay"
- 23 Jan 00:00 PARMA, Kodra: "We were about to sign Balotelli"
- 22 Jan 18:02 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I would like to be important for the team"
- 22 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "He could extend his deal"
- 21 Jan 16:44 AC MILAN, Mexes: "We must not look for excuses"
- 21 Jan 00:00 INTER, M'Vila's agent: "QPR are the most interested in him"
- 20 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We want to keep Pogba"
- 19 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "I'm not thinking about my future"
- 18 Jan 06:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Destro will probably stay"
- 28 Mar 16:57 SWEDEN/ KALMAR, Several European clubs surveying Awoniyi
- 28 Mar 16:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Serie A suitors for Andrea Costa
- 28 Mar 15:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho weighs Adebayor up for replacing Drogba
- 28 Mar 15:30 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Hansen on target
- 28 Mar 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Seville back on Carmona
- 28 Mar 14:27 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, River Plate extend Mercado's contract
- 28 Mar 13:57 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Smalling hard to get: Van Gaal says no
- 28 Mar 13:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Rafa Silva
- 28 Mar 12:59 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Renewal offer ready for Moras
- 28 Mar 12:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Jansen and Van Der Vaart to leave Hamburg as free agents in June
- 28 Mar 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Back on Immobile: duel to AC Milan and Lazio
- 28 Mar 11:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Flekken renews for Greuther Furth
- 28 Mar 10:00 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Sylla set to join Racing Santander
- 28 Mar 09:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Juanito could renew
- 28 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Otamendi
- 28 Mar 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Season over for Haïdara
- 28 Mar 07:27 PSG, Verratti's agent: "He is happy in France"
- 28 Mar 06:59 BAYER, Hilbert: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 28 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN. De Jong: "Back to Ajax? Too early"
- 27 Mar 23:27 GERMANY/ MAINZ, Eyes on Kleindienst
- 27 Mar 22:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Hands on Schiappacasse
- 27 Mar 22:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL. Valverde likely to join
- 27 Mar 21:59 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV sign Guardado on permanent basis
- 27 Mar 21:30 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Ayew
- 27 Mar 21:00 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, Almost done for M'Vila
- 27 Mar 20:37 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Viviani
- 27 Mar 20:17 FRANCE/ MONACO, Raggi likely to renew
- 27 Mar 19:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Keen on Ramires
- 27 Mar 19:39 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Done for Danny
- 27 Mar 19:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Also Jardim for the bench
- 27 Mar 19:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Mandzukic towards Germany
- 27 Mar 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Eyes on Rudy
- 27 Mar 18:34 ITALY/ INTER, Mario Suarez confession: "In January I spoke with Mancini"
- 27 Mar 18:25 ITALY/ LAZIO, City observing Felipe Anderson
- 27 Mar 18:12 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, 13 mlns to Santos for Lucas Lima
- 27 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Eyes on Neil Taylor
- 27 Mar 17:48 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more rival towards Krajnc
- 27 Mar 17:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Attempting for Begovic again
- 27 Mar 17:24 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Motta more and more likely to leave
- 27 Mar 17:12 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Cillessen might be Buffon's heir
- 27 Mar 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Andujar willing to leave if a new goalie is signed
- 27 Mar 16:48 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Price is set for Immobile: AC Milan and Lazio ready to offer
- 27 Mar 16:36 FIORENTINA, LAZIO & TORINO: 4 million euros minimum needed for Defrel
- 27 Mar 16:24 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New suggestion for Llorente
- 27 Mar 16:12 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Soriano tempted by Schalke and Dortmund courtship
- 27 Mar 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Manolas: AS Roma resist
- 27 Mar 15:51 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, 15 million euros for hiring Wallace back from Braga
- 27 Mar 15:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Middlesbrough sign Tiendalli on loan from Swansea City
Recently surveyed by several clubs and particularly tracked by West Ham, Togolese international striker Emmanuel Adebayor (31), who's set to leave Tottenham as a free agent after 4 seasons, has been taken into account by Chelsea manager José Mourinho as a possible
AC Milan midfielder Nigel De Jong has declared about the possibility to rejoin his former club Ajax: "No, it's still to early to move back to
Interviewed by Estadio Deportivo, Galatasaray winger Nordin Amrabat, currently on loan at Malaga, has declared: "Some Spanish and English clubs a
he 24-year-old began his career at Brazilian side Esporte Clube Vitoria and, but for a short spell as a right winger, has played his entire career at
Interviewed by Radio CRC, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is happy in France and he is a key player f
Interviewed by the Rheinische Post, Bayer Leverkusen full back Roberto Hilbert has declared about the possibility to renew his contract: "The neg