REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 29 May 01:59 BARCELONA, Mascherano:" I wouldn't trade places with Messi"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "My future? I am learning English"
- 27 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "If Otamendi wants to leave..."
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Mi future? In two weeks"
- 25 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, CR7, I hope Ancelotti will stay
- 24 May 06:59 ATLETICO, Torres: "I want to end my career here"
- 23 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Happy if De Gea joins us"
- 22 May 15:15 ATHLETIC BILBAO/ OFFICIAL, Manager Valverde renews
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 21 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We haven't talked about Higuain"
- 20 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery is happy here"
- 19 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "It's not the moment to talk about Ancelotti's future"
- 18 May 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "Martínez won't join Liverpool"
- 17 May 09:00 RAYO, Jemez: "I don't think I'll stay"
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "Some important players could leave"
- 15 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "He will be the one deciding his future"
- 14 May 09:30 REAL MADRID, Bale promises Madrid will 'come back stronger'
- 14 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I'm happy here, but.."
- 13 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Gayà: "I hope to stay for many years"
- 12 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "It's nonsense to talk about my future"
- 11 May 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't know anything about Porto"
- 10 May 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I'm not going anywhere"
- 09 May 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No agreement with Atletico"
- 08 May 13:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes possibly departing after just one season 2 Premier League suitors
- 08 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "Why should he leave?"
- 07 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 06 May 13:24 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, First convocation for Vermaelen
- 06 May 12:36 REAL MADRID, James: "Madrid have to go out and kill Juventus in second leg"
- 06 May 12:12 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu"
- 06 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Saul: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "A pity that I never played for Athletic"
- 04 May 10:00 LEVANTE, Alcaraz: "I don't care about my own future, I'm just focused on not getting relegated"
- 04 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "I hope Dani Alves will stay"
- 03 May 09:30 SEVILLA, Vitolo: "Happy to stay"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 30 Apr 06:19 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I think that sometimes Guardiola has thought about me"
- 29 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I hope to end my career here"
- 28 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 14 Apr 19:16 SPAIN, Puyol: "To play or to coach? I do not rule out any option"
- 14 Apr 18:48 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Atletico are undisputed favourites - not Real"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are in talks for Alves' new deal"
- 10 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 09 Apr 12:24 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique about Xavi: "I want him to stay and help us"
- 09 Apr 06:20 VALENCIA, André Gomes: "Chelsea? I am happy here"
- 07 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Miranda: "I am staying here"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Xavi can stay, if he wants"
- 05 Apr 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We need new players"
- 04 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Would I rejoin Milan? Of course"
- 03 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, unconcerned by Messi injury
- 02 Apr 14:44 REAL MADRID, Roberto Carlos: "Danilo will succeed in getting under the spotlight"
- 02 Apr 13:31 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "It would be a dream come true to play alongside Messi"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayà will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayà's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 29 May 01:59 BARCELONA, Mascherano:" I wouldn't trade places with Messi"
- 29 May 00:00 BREAKING NEWS - RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Offer to AS Monaco for Moutinho ready
- 28 May 23:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bessat leaves Nantes
- 28 May 22:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Dortmund rivals icon Weidenfeller
- 28 May 22:27 GENOA & EMPOLI, Keen on Biraghi
- 28 May 21:59 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Moscow sign Sosnin
- 28 May 21:29 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Barnetta and Fuchs leave Schalke 04
- 28 May 21:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Villarreal, Uche about to leave and join Tigres
- 28 May 20:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Dybala passes medical checks
- 28 May 19:57 ITALY/ INTER, Duda about to join
- 28 May 19:27 FIFA, Platini:" I asked Blatter to stand down as Fifa president"
- 28 May 18:59 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Bacuna: "I'm trying to persuade Benteke to stay"
- 28 May 18:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Olympiakos back on De Maio
- 28 May 18:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR: Hoops seal Gladwin's deal
- 28 May 18:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Carlton Cole quits the club
- 28 May 17:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL: Tate, Tremmel, Cornell and 9 youngster leave Swansea City
- 28 May 17:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eye on Ginter
- 28 May 17:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Asking Mandzukic's loan to Atletico Madrid
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 16:42 ENGLAND/ QPR: Duel to Villa, Bournemouth and Palace on Lambert
- 28 May 16:33 ITALY/ INTER, Eye on Unai Emery
- 28 May 16:24 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Machado back as Gremio manager
- 28 May 16:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Move for Dzeko ready
- 28 May 16:10 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ancelotti will decide on Wednesday"
- 28 May 16:03 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis about Bigon: "Changing after 6 years is normal"
- 28 May 15:52 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Merengues deny Pogba bid
- 28 May 15:50 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez confirms he will leave this summer
- 28 May 15:48 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Approaching Ki Sung-Yeung
- 28 May 15:24 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "I'll get Benitez a good contract for Real Madrid!"
- 28 May 15:00 FRANCE/ METZ, 2 Ligue 1 and one Bundesliga pursuers for N'Gbakoto
- 28 May 14:27 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Suggestion for Marchionni
- 28 May 13:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, The new Schweinsteiger Weigl about to join
- 28 May 13:29 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Riascos joins Vasco da Gama on loan
- 28 May 12:59 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Duel to Torino on Cassani
- 28 May 12:30 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Eyes on Kumbela
- 28 May 12:00 ITALY/ EMPOLI, One step closer to Galano
- 28 May 11:27 POLAND/ POGON STETTIN, 2 German and 1 Dutch surveys for Wojtkowski
- 28 May 10:57 ENGLAND/ QPR, Approaching Emmanuel-Thomas
- 28 May 10:29 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Junior Moraes
- 28 May 09:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Maxi Lopez's renewal is near
- 28 May 09:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Survey on Casilla
- 28 May 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mihajlovic the alternative to Ancelotti
- 28 May 08:45 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Offer for Boateng
- 28 May 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Keen on Diego Lopez
- 28 May 08:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Felipe
- 28 May 08:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eyes on Christensen
- 28 May 07:40 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Clasie
- 28 May 07:17 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Matheus injured
- 28 May 06:57 NICE, Rivère: "Puel will stay"
While Belgian star Axel Witsel is still tracked by Juventus, Real Madrid, Manchester City and Manchester United, Zenit Saint Petersbourg management are in search for a new player fit the role. The chosen one seems to be Portuguese international playmaking midfielder Joao Mou
Carlo Ancelotti has left open the possibility of taking over at AC Milan, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
The paper reports he had a meeting in
Mascherano says he wouldn't want to trade places with Lionel Messi due to the level of expectation heaped on his Barcelona colleague.
Mathieu Flamini says Arsenal have learnt from last season’s “nightmare” start to the FA Cup final.
The Gunners found themselves t
Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivère has declared about his team's coach Claude Puel: "I never had doubts about it, he will stay for the
Wolfsburg attacking midifelder Kevin de Bruyne has told Bild: "I think, to be honest, I would not return to Chelsea as long as Mourinho is in cha