REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 18 May 08:30 VALENCIA, Bernat: "I hope to remain"
- 17 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "I will stay here"
- 16 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Cuenca: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 15 May 19:30 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I came here as a child and I leave with a family"
- 15 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll offer a new contract to Rakitic"
- 14 May 08:15 ATLETICO, Diego: "My future? After the CL final"
- 13 May 19:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I like the idea of delivering La Decima"
- 13 May 19:07 BARCELONA, Neymar hopes to return for title decider against Atletico Madrid
- 13 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "Real? Everybody dreams to play in the CL"
- 12 May 19:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano expects changes
- 12 May 18:15 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "200 per cent confident of winning La Liga"
- 12 May 08:15 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "The next game could be the last one.."
- 11 May 08:30 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I hope Martino will stay"
- 10 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "If somebody is not happy with me.."
- 09 May 13:16 REAL MADRID, Pepe out 15 days
- 09 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not sure to stay"
- 07 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery will stay"
- 06 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Sosa's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 05 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Martino? Soon we'll meet"
- 03 May 08:00 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? Just rumours"
- 02 May 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Martinez: "Nver to Athletic"
- 01 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "My future is here"
- 30 Apr 08:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "I signed for this club to win the CL"
- 29 Apr 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "I think Diego Costa will stay"
- 28 Apr 17:48 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "For me, it is a dream to win the Champions"
- 26 Apr 02:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho's grief for Vilanova's death: "A very hard moment"
- 25 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic's agent: "No contacts with Lazio"
- 24 Apr 13:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 23 Apr 13:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 08:00 MALAGA, Husillos: "We want to keep Iakovenko"
- 22 Apr 18:15 ATLETICO MADRID,Juanfran: "We can win the double"
- 22 Apr 08:00 ATHLETIC, Valverde: "A future at Barça? I have a contract"
- 21 Apr 08:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 28 Jul 18:15 CSKA & DYNAMO, Moscow duel on Promes
- 28 Jul 18:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Criscito's agent: "AC Milan? No way, Zenit want to hold him"
- 28 Jul 17:51 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter: keen on Osvaldo
- 28 Jul 17:49 ITALY/ LAZIO, Confirmed Vrij purchase
- 28 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Julio Cesar about to join back Toronto FC
- 28 Jul 17:33 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm looking forward to joining up with my new team-mates "
- 28 Jul 17:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ultimating details for signing Rabiot
- 28 Jul 17:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Besiktas' lead over Olympiakos on Bryan Ruiz
- 28 Jul 17:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Ready 15 mlns for Marco Rojo
- 28 Jul 16:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Breaking into Arsenal-United negotiation on Vermaelen
- 28 Jul 16:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal sign Calum Chambers
- 28 Jul 16:30 GERMANY/SCHALKE 04, Kirchhoff wants to stay for long time
- 28 Jul 16:15 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Copenhaghen sign Antonsson
- 28 Jul 16:05 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ospina: "This is a dream come true"
- 28 Jul 16:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Chicharito is the key for blazing AS Monaco on Guarin
- 28 Jul 15:44 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bressan joins Cesena
- 28 Jul 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rayo Vallecano: Mojica sign a 4-year deal
- 28 Jul 15:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Monaco back for Romero: Sampdoria-Benfica pact at risk
- 28 Jul 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: After Griezmann, Callejon is the new target. Duel to Chelsea and AS Monaco
- 28 Jul 14:45 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Back negotiating for signing Bergessio
- 28 Jul 14:30 POLAND/ LECH POZNAN, Tons of European suitors for Teodorczyk
- 28 Jul 14:19 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira switch back on
- 28 Jul 14:15 BARCELONA FC & MAN. UNITED, Final duel on Cuadrado
- 28 Jul 14:06 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Back to Italy? We'll see"
- 28 Jul 13:45 BRAZIL/ ATLETICO MINEIRO, Ronaldinho might resign soon
- 28 Jul 13:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Back for De Maio if De Vrij doesn't join
- 28 Jul 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL,Wenger happy to take £11m gamble on Chambers
- 28 Jul 13:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - New Napoli-Kramer contact
- 28 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Quintero
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 12:31 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, This is Valdez day
- 28 Jul 12:14 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Dani Alves wants to stay despite Cuadrado
- 28 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Miranda the alternative to Marquinhos
- 28 Jul 11:49 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL. £8.5m move for Loic Remy was 'unfortunate'
- 28 Jul 11:44 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic staying with City"
- 28 Jul 11:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid agree with Real Sociedad for Griezmann
- 28 Jul 11:14 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino: arrive Rizzo and Monni
- 28 Jul 10:58 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Tracking Basa
- 28 Jul 10:41 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Di Maria keen to join United
- 28 Jul 10:29 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Lukaku is the first target
- 28 Jul 10:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Eriksen on the wishlist
- 28 Jul 10:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fariña joins Depor
- 28 Jul 09:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Idea Gargano
- 28 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Eyes on Rodriguez
- 28 Jul 09:15 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Idea Clasie
- 28 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, New chance for Suarez
- 28 Jul 08:30 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Ghilas likely to join
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 28 Jul 07:27 OM, Ayew's agent: "He could move to Italy soon"
- 28 Jul 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Guardiola will stay at least until 2016"
Interviewed in exclusive by TMW and asked about the chance for Italian international defensive jolly Domenico Criscito (27), Andrea D'Amico, agent of former Genoa and Juventus player, stated: "A transfer to Rossoneri? No way, Zenit Saint Petersbourg are willing to hold h
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has declared about Real Sociedad 23-year-old winger Antoine Griezmann: "He is a good player, very fast. He co
Here he is! Colombian goalkeeper @D_Ospina1 in his new #Arsenal kit. More pictures: http://t.co/jWQoPgnSYi pic.twitter.com/m33jxG4wQT
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Federico Pastorello, agent of OM 24-year-old forward André Ayew, has declared: "We are talking about a good play