REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 05 Mar 06:15 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I wouldn't mind moving to the US"
- 04 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will stay at least until 2017"
- 03 Mar 15:09 SPAIN, Villa: "Whenever you confront Italy, although is said to be friendly, it never is"
- 03 Mar 05:59 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Three Italian clubs after him, but.."
- 02 Mar 06:29 LEVANTE, Caparros turns out transfer rumours
- 01 Mar 06:19 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? I'm focused on my club"
- 28 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "We are all with Martino"
- 27 Feb 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "That was the perfect game Madrid's 'perfect game'"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I'm not thinking about another club"
- 26 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "City and Real? I'm focused on my club"
- 25 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Muniain: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Deulofeu will be important for this club"
- 23 Feb 09:59 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I am happy here, but.."
- 22 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I want to end my career here"
- 21 Feb 06:19 MALAGA, El Hamdaoui: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 20 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Diego Costa will remain for a long time"
- 19 Feb 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Ac Milan? There is no favourite tonight"
- 19 Feb 10:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "City can cause you problems at any moment"
- 18 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Feb 11:50 ATLETICO MADRID, Suarez: "Milan have a great tradition in this competition"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois's father: "I will talk with Atletico in one month"
- 15 Feb 07:27 OM, Anigo: "Valbuena could leave"
- 14 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I imagine myself at Inter"
- 13 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is not for sale"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Farinos announces his retirement
- 11 Feb 19:30 BARCELONA, Barca chief coy on Messi deal
- 11 Feb 18:16 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I owe nearly everything to Wenger"
- 11 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco unhappy? His moment will come"
- 10 Feb 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Martino: "Rakitic has got potential and qualities for playing for Barça
- 08 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Herrera: "None of us wants to leave"
- 07 Feb 12:15 REAL MADRID, Referee who sent off Ronaldo at Bilbao is suspended for a month
- 07 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Not fascinated by the Serie A"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "The great clubs know that I won't move"
- 05 Feb 06:00 REAL, CR7's agent: "He will end his career in Madrid"
- 04 Feb 06:00 MALAGA, Iakovenko: "The Liga is better than the Serie A"
- 01 Feb 09:29 ATLETICO, Diego: "Happy to be here"
- 31 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I am not leaving"
- 30 Jan 07:00 BETIS, Adan: "Happy to be here"
- 29 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Back to Chelsea, only if.."
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Vargas: "Happy to be here"
- 26 Jan 06:29 BARCELONA, Messi's father: "Don't know anything about PSG"
- 25 Jan 06:00 BETIS, Vadillo's agent: "Some Italian clubs after him"
- 23 Jan 18:30 BARCELONA, Puyol injury confirmed as bruising
- 23 Jan 16:44 BARCELONA, To announce EGM - Rosell set to resign
- 23 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno's agent: "Napoli's first offer has been refused"
- 10 Mar 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Foley joins Shrewsbury
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 10 Mar 06:57 MONACO, Kurzawa: "I dream of United"
- 10 Mar 06:39 HERTHA, Kraft: "I could renew"
- 10 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero won't leave"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 10 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba with us for a long time"
- 09 Mar 23:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Arsenal's offer for Turan refused
- 09 Mar 22:57 ITALY/ CHIEVO, Aresti about to join
- 09 Mar 22:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Two more suitors for Sagna
- 09 Mar 21:59 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Message from Meli
- 09 Mar 21:29 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Eyes on Melchiorri
- 09 Mar 21:00 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Mission for Mbaye
- 09 Mar 20:30 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, van der Brom fired?
- 09 Mar 19:57 USA/ OFFICIAL, Barrera joins Chivas
- 09 Mar 19:27 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stevens is Stuttgart new coach
- 09 Mar 18:59 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Interest for Pereyra Díaz
- 09 Mar 18:29 USA/ OFFICIAL, Azira joins Seattle
- 09 Mar 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Mission for Ibarbo
- 09 Mar 17:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Mujangi Bia renews for Standard
- 09 Mar 16:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Luis Enrique for the bench
- 09 Mar 16:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, McNaughton renews for Cardiff
- 09 Mar 15:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for William Carvalho
- 09 Mar 15:29 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart fire Schneider
- 09 Mar 15:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Agreement with Valdes
- 09 Mar 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Still keen on Mangala
- 09 Mar 13:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Napoli after Menez
- 09 Mar 13:27 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Laudrup for the bench
- 09 Mar 12:59 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, de la Bella likely to renew
- 09 Mar 12:29 ITALY/ ROMA, Also United after Benatia
- 09 Mar 12:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Three Italian clubs after Rojo
- 09 Mar 11:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Eyes on two young strikers
- 09 Mar 10:57 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Trying to extend Diego Alves' deal
- 09 Mar 10:27 ITALY/ CATANIA, Marcelinho has signed
- 09 Mar 09:59 FRANCE/ OM, Two more names for the bench
- 09 Mar 09:29 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Two names for the left flank
- 09 Mar 09:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, KaiKai and Boateng remain at Crawley
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 09 Mar 07:27 WERDER, Eichin: "Garcia is important for us"
- 09 Mar 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I want to keep Ireland"
- 09 Mar 06:29 MALAGA, Amrabat: "I would like to move back to Galatasaray"
- 09 Mar 06:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He thinks about Juventus only"
- 09 Mar 00:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Back for Höwedes
- 08 Mar 23:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Survey on Caballero
- 08 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, No attempt for Ogbonna
- 08 Mar 21:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Trying to close in on Dória
- 08 Mar 20:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Garay on target
- 08 Mar 19:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Eyes on Antunes
- 08 Mar 18:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Mertesacker: "Per gives everything for the club"
- 08 Mar 17:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Suggestion for Eliseu
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has declared about 25 year old striker Sergio Aguero: "I don't think the idea of Sergio is to leave Manchester City. Sergio is very happy here. You never know what can happen in the future, but he is a very important player...
Interviewed by Sky, Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has declared: "Pogba has an enormous evaluation. We are happy to have him,...
Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela has declared: "Arsenal is a great club that has given me the opportunity to play in Europe. I will always...
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has declared about 25 year old striker Sergio Aguero: "I don't think the idea of Sergio is to...
Werder Bremen Sports Director Thomas Eichin has declared about 25 year old left back Santiago Garcia, actually on loan from Rangers de Talca:...
Interviewed by Canal +, OM Sports Director and caretaker manager Jose Anigo has declared about the possibility to sign the former Swansea coach...