REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 06:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 06:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 06:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 14:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 06:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 06:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 06:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 10 Jun 22:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 06:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 06:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 06:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 06:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 18:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 24 Jul 17:44 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Working on Garcia loan
- 24 Jul 17:31 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht Frankfurt: arrives Lucas Piazon
- 24 Jul 17:14 ITALY/ INTER, Ausilio: "Working in Medel"
- 24 Jul 17:05 INTER, Claire Lewis joins club as Marketing Director
- 24 Jul 16:44 OFFICIAL, Aguirre named new Japan boss
- 24 Jul 16:31 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Paok: from Gimnasia arrives Facundo Pereya
- 24 Jul 16:16 USA/ OFFICIAL, Lampard completes New York City FC move
- 24 Jul 16:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swans sign Montero
- 24 Jul 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on Isla
- 24 Jul 15:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Working on Zuculini's loan
- 24 Jul 15:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, United assault evened: 45 million euros to Juventus for Vidal
- 24 Jul 15:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Greece-German youngster Spanoudakis about to join
- 24 Jul 15:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Taarabt willig to join back
- 24 Jul 14:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rayo Vallecano sign Pozuelo
- 24 Jul 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, From Spain: majestic offer for Marquinhos
- 24 Jul 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Closing on Vermaelen
- 24 Jul 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Back for Ryan Bertrand
- 24 Jul 13:45 INTER & ATLETICO MADRID, Final duel on Chicharito Hernandez
- 24 Jul 13:30 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Agreement with Marseille for signing Payet
- 24 Jul 13:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin joining Arsenal might lead Clasie in
- 24 Jul 13:03 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo Verona sign Gamberini
- 24 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Duel to Italian and German rivals on Bonaventura
- 24 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Lead over Liverpool and Porto on Bakkali
- 24 Jul 12:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Michel
- 24 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Kiyotake about to be announced
- 24 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Real Madrid offer for El Shaarawy rejected
- 24 Jul 11:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Miranda joins Chievo Verona
- 24 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Surprise lead over Lazio on Astori
- 24 Jul 11:00 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Eyes on Antonsson
- 24 Jul 10:45 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Zeman wants Galano
- 24 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Bellomo more and more likely to join
- 24 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Arsenal defeated: Loic Remy about to join
- 24 Jul 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Romero
- 24 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Agree £4million fee for midfielder Besic
- 24 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo weighs up Galatasaray transfer due to Allegri's presence
- 24 Jul 09:13 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Continue to track Raphael Varane
- 24 Jul 08:55 ENGLAND/ QPR, plot Samuel Eto'o transfer
- 24 Jul 08:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 08:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Keylor Navas
- 24 Jul 08:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar
- 24 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Badelj
- 24 Jul 07:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Gaitan about to join
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 24 Jul 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "Will I stay? Of course!"
- 24 Jul 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We can't afford to sign Behrami"
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
Hired back by Juventus on a full basis from Udinese last June, Chilean international right backwing and midfielder Mauricio Isla (26), tracked by Inter and Lazio, as well as possibly used in a swap with Fiorentina involving Stevan Savic, has become an item of interest for...
FC Internazionale is delighted to welcome Claire Lewis to the team as Marketing Director. Lewis joins Inter from Apple having previously worked...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...