REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 19 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Chelsea? I am happy in Spain"
- 18 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Liverpool are keen on Luis Alberto, but.."
- 17 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Isco: "Morata and Nacho want me in Madrid, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:29 BARCELONA, Villa: "It's not the right moment to talk about my future"
- 14 Jun 15:20 MALAGA, Isco: "I'll weigh City offer, Pellegrini is my football father"
- 14 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Inter? He is not for sale"
- 13 Jun 16:18 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo denies extension talk
- 12 Jun 21:00 BARCELONA, Messi denies any wrongdoing in a tax row
- 12 Jun 19:15 BARCELONA, Messi and his father accused of tax fraud in Spain
- 12 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Isco: "I want to make the history of this club"
- 11 Jun 13:00 FC SEVILLE, Rakitic: "Rumours about Liverpool? I'm proud"
- 11 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "Never thought about leaving"
- 10 Jun 05:59 BARCELONA, Abidal: "Guardiola wants me at Bayern"
- 09 Jun 06:59 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Courtois: "I have talked to Mourinho, I am staying"
- 08 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to stay"
- 07 Jun 19:10 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso might miss several months
- 07 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Callejón: "I will remain until 2015"
- 06 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Fernández: "I hope to remain"
- 05 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Juve have not asked me Higuain"
- 04 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Lugano: "I am moving back to PSG"
- 03 Jun 06:00 ESPANYOL, Aguirre: "I want to extend, but.."
- 02 Jun 06:29 REAL MADRID, Higuain: "I will leave. Juventus? They are interested"
- 01 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "Never thought about AC Milan"
- 31 May 10:00 BARCELONA, Camp Nou to honour Abidal after Malaga match
- 31 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Negredo: "Ready to evaluate eventual offers"
- 30 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Thiago Alcantara: "My future? After the Euro Under 21.."
- 29 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Kondogbia: "I want to stay"
- 28 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Falcao is still our player"
- 27 May 06:20 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Neymar was my priority"
- 25 May 05:59 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We are working to keep Courtois"
- 24 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I will remain here"
- 23 May 06:00 MALAGA, Aguilar: "Real Madrid are concretely interested in Isco"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 21 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "It was the right time to split-up with Mourinho"
- 20 May 16:20 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "I'm fine here, but I'm not ruling PSG out"
- 20 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Everybody would like to have Neymar"
- 19 May 06:29 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "Back to Italy? I can't exclude anything"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 17 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I hope I can remain"
- 16 May 14:44 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: “We feel confident to win the Copa”
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I would never move to another European club"
- 15 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I feel important for this team"
- 14 May 14:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi stops for 2-3 weeks
- 14 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I thought Valdes was going to extend"
- 13 May 06:00 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "Let'see what will happen inside the club"
- 12 May 06:30 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "My future? Nothing concrete for the moment"
- 11 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Villa? We always want great players"
- 10 May 09:47 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Madrid must stop squabbling"
- 10 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "No calls from the club, it means that they don't want me"
- 09 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to remain, but.."
- 19 Jun 08:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Hammers move fast to land Carroll
- 19 Jun 08:18 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, In advanced talks for Atsu
- 19 Jun 08:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Renewal offer for Sakho
- 19 Jun 07:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UTD, Thiago Alcantara is closer
- 19 Jun 07:33 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Isco and Gareth Bale in July
- 19 Jun 07:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pearce is no longer the Under 21 NT manager
- 19 Jun 06:45 SAINT-ETIENNE, Aubameyang's agent: "50% chances to play in Italy"
- 19 Jun 06:30 BAYERN, Gomez's agent: "Not only Fiorentina after him"
- 19 Jun 06:15 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Happy of Pennant extension"
- 19 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Chelsea? I am happy in Spain"
- 19 Jun 00:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He won't join Anzhi"
- 18 Jun 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Also Niang on Monaco's wishlist
- 18 Jun 23:17 GERMANY/ LEVERKUSEN, Done for Donati
- 18 Jun 22:59 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Also Zenga for the bench
- 18 Jun 22:39 FRANCE/ MONACO, Keen on Capoue
- 18 Jun 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, 9 millions for Kucka
- 18 Jun 22:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Osasuna sign Lotičs
- 18 Jun 21:37 FRANCE/ PSG, Agreement with Capello
- 18 Jun 21:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Tomorrow meeting with Pizarro's agent
- 18 Jun 20:59 FRANCE/ AJACCIO, Keen on Matri
- 18 Jun 20:39 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead for Rami
- 18 Jun 20:20 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Idea Cosmi for the bench
- 18 Jun 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Luca remains at Atalanta
- 18 Jun 19:45 GERMANY/ LEVERKUSEN, Mission for Donati
- 18 Jun 19:30 TURKEY/ KASIMPASA, Eyes on Romaric
- 18 Jun 19:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Jedvai about to join
- 18 Jun 19:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Ajaccio sign Bonnart
- 18 Jun 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Belfodil
- 18 Jun 18:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Kuchuk is Lokomotiv new coach
- 18 Jun 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Barreto remains at Torino
- 18 Jun 17:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ruffier's agent: "Ready to negotiate with AS Roma"
- 18 Jun 17:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pennant extends for Stoke City
- 18 Jun 17:20 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Jeremain Lens joins Dynamo Kyiv
- 18 Jun 17:00 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, Cirigliano offered to Napoli
- 18 Jun 16:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Barça attempt for Agger ready
- 18 Jun 16:20 SPAIN/ CELTA VIGO, Luis Enrique wants Stryger Larsen
- 18 Jun 16:10 SPAIN/ RCD MALLORCA, Two Serie A suitors for Giovani dos Santos
- 18 Jun 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, No French rivalry for signing Marchisio
- 18 Jun 15:57 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aberdeen sign Zola
- 18 Jun 15:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Helenius joins Aston Villa
- 18 Jun 15:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Italian rival make steps forward towards Gonalons
- 18 Jun 15:20 INTER & VALENCIA, Duel for Bartra
- 18 Jun 15:10 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Monaco-AC Milan meeting for Boateng
- 18 Jun 15:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Offer for Di Maria ready
- 18 Jun 14:50 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, New attempt for Inler ready: outcome up to Benitez
- 18 Jun 14:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Orbán's agent: "Sunderland or Spain for his future, no Italy"
- 18 Jun 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna willing to stay until 2014
- 18 Jun 14:22 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Appiah leaves AS Monaco for joining Caen
- 18 Jun 14:20 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Duel to Cardiff for Gomis
- 18 Jun 14:13 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Elyounoussi joins Hoffenheim
West Ham have smashed their transfer record to capture Andy Carroll in a deal worth £55million.
Panicking Hammers rushed forward plans to sign the Liverpool striker to head off a late challenge from his home-town club Newcastle.
Carroll landed at Heathrow...
Through his Twitter profile, Claudia Pastorello, agent of Inter Milan 28 year old goalkeeper Samir Handanovic, has declared: "Handanovic to...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea 21 year old goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared: "I am happy to...
Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has declared about 30 year old midfielder Jermaine Pennant's contract extension: "I have always admired...
Interviewed by Bild, Uli Ferber, agent of Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez, has declared: "Fiorentina are not the only club interested, as...
Interviewed by TMW, Oscar Damiani, agent of Saint-Etienne 23 year old forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, has declared: "Roma coach Rudi...