REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 23 Oct 00:40 BARCELONA, Messi: "I don't compete with Ronaldo, and he doesn't compete with me"
- 22 Oct 10:39 SPAIN, Johan Cruyff diagnosed with lung cancer
- 21 Oct 08:00 REAL MADRID, Varane before PSG clash: "We'll have to control the game in order to defeat them"
- 20 Oct 12:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "We are in good shape, and we can defeat Gent. Happy here, I want to renew"
- 19 Oct 08:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "Sociedad? We did what we needed to do. I'd never celebrate scoring against a club that gave me everything"
- 16 Oct 07:30 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Mestalla audience is picky and impatient, we need to fulfil their expectations"
- 15 Oct 06:59 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos back in squad training
- 14 Oct 10:57 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ronaldo can score more goals"
- 14 Oct 06:30 FC SEVILLE, Tremoulinas: "We succeeded in defeating Barcelona because we worked as a real group"
- 13 Oct 13:04 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar: "Of course I want new Barcelona deal"
- 12 Oct 06:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "Both my gameplaying and my life here changed for the best"
- 09 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi's agent: "Bayern are after him"
- 08 Oct 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "I'm not thinking about Barcelona"
- 07 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I want to stay"
- 02 Oct 23:33 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo is a Blancos legend"
- 02 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "Contacts with Barcelona"
- 01 Oct 19:27 LEVANTE, Simao: "Ready to fight and struggle against Villarreal"
- 01 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Kovacic? He's got the qualities for becoming a champion"
- 30 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I refused to join Porto"
- 29 Sep 18:48 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BARCELONA FC, Rakitic: "We want to win for Leo and for our fans. Our style won't change"
- 29 Sep 17:59 REAL MADRID, 20-man squad for the match against Malmö: Bale out
- 29 Sep 13:15 CHAMPIONS, Barcelona v Leverkusen - Possible lineups: Leo Messi is irreplaceable
- 29 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Tiago: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Sep 13:39 VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Malaga accomplishment: "I'm extremely proud of my players"
- 23 Sep 08:19 BETIS, Joaquin: "Sousa didn't want to let me go"
- 22 Sep 16:00 BARCELONA FC, Medical report on Rafinha after surgery
- 22 Sep 07:00 BARCELONA, Neymar calls Coutinho
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We don't have to pay 10 millions to De Gea"
- 19 Sep 16:00 VALENCIA v BETIS, Liga Matchday 4, Special Preview - Joaquín faces his own past
- 18 Sep 07:29 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Austrian failure: "We were really bad during part of the game"
- 18 Sep 01:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BARCELONA FC (Group E), Suarez: "No need to get upset for the outcome"
- 17 Sep 17:12 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ZENIT (Group H), Hulk: "Important victory for us, Valencia are a great team"
- 17 Sep 00:34 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - VALENCIA (Group H), André Gomes: "We took some risks, and Zenit exploited it"
- 16 Sep 15:43 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - REAL MADRID (Group A), Ronaldo: "Proud of the scoring record reached"
- 16 Sep 15:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - ATLETICO MADRID (Group C), double scorer Griezmann: "We reached a good level, now we need to work and keep it"
- 16 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I'm very happy"
- 16 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - GALATASARAY (Group C), Hamzaoglu: "Atletico are really good. Satisfied with my team's performance in the second half"
- 16 Sep 01:36 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - SHAKHTAR DONETSK (Group A), Lucescu: "Real Madrid's victory is a stolen one"
- 15 Sep 18:12 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - FC SEVILLE v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D): Llorente searching for his first Andalusian header
- 15 Sep 16:23 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - GALATASARAY v ATLETICO MADRID (Group C): fresh start for Podolski
- 15 Sep 15:47 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - REAL MADRID v SHAKHTAR (Group A): Isco from the kick-off
- 13 Sep 10:00 ATLETICO MADRID - BARCELONA FC 1-2, Matchbox: Neymar and Messi respond to Torres
- 11 Sep 17:11 ESPANYOL v REAL MADRID, Special Preview - James Rodriguez surely out
- 11 Sep 08:29 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo to PSG? If they pay a billion..."
- 10 Sep 17:59 BARCELONA FC, Piqué: "I was wearing Buffon shirt during Real Madrid-Juventus, last May"
- 10 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I don't think De Gea will join in January"
- 10 Sep 00:39 BARCELONA FC, Mascherano charged with tax evasion
- 09 Sep 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't want to talk about my future"
- 08 Sep 18:19 REAL MADRID, Indoor training for Modric and Kovacic
- 08 Sep 11:09 REAL MADRID, Benzema happy with Merengues
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 03 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "Happy to stay"
- 02 Sep 10:45 REAL MADRID, Official statement on De Gea's missed transfer
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 31 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar: "I want to play in the Copa America and the Olympics"
- 30 Aug 10:30 MALAGA, Javi Garcia: "I don't understand Darder's departure"
- 27 Aug 08:19 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "I will stay"
- 21 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Everything can happen until August 31"
- 20 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "The transfer market? There is still time"
- 14 Aug 08:29 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 13 Aug 16:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "Pedro would be perfect for Premier"
- 13 Aug 08:19 CELTA, Nolito: "Either I'll return to Barça, or I will stay here"
- 12 Aug 15:29 BARCELONA FC, Pedro: "Leaving? It's a matter of pitch time, not money"
- 12 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I hope Pedro will stay"
- 11 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Llorente? We must wait"
- 10 Aug 11:50 REAL BETIS, Vargas: "Great ambition, I hope to stay for so long"
- 10 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Soon a decision about Asensio"
- 09 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "The market? In August I'm always nervous"
- 08 Aug 06:00 RAYO, Martín Presa: "Zhang's signing has not been imposed"
- 07 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'm attached to my club"
- 06 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 05 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 04 Aug 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "No chances that Osvaldo will join us"
- 03 Aug 11:44 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "We will win when it matters"
- 03 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Garcia: "Happy of our new signings"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ramos? We'll see"
- 27 Nov 00:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Possible winter attempt for Ranocchia due to Andreolli's injury
- 26 Nov 23:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on Caldara
- 26 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Bilic wants Gökhan Töre again with him
- 26 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Working on getting Benatia back
- 26 Nov 20:00 UAE/ AL-WAHDA, Back for Amauri
- 26 Nov 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Marsh to Wednesday
- 26 Nov 19:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Suggestion for Marcelo Toscano
- 26 Nov 18:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Alégué
- 26 Nov 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland loan Bridcutt to Leeds
- 26 Nov 17:29 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Winter suggestion for Van Persie
- 26 Nov 16:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kingsley joins Swansea City back
- 26 Nov 16:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bruno Peres renews for Torino
- 26 Nov 16:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Done for Osvaldo's return
- 26 Nov 15:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Culpi resigns from Atletico Mineiro
- 26 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: bargain hunter
- 26 Nov 13:27 LEICESTER CITY & WBA, Eyes on Darikwa
- 26 Nov 12:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Lead over Werder on Lezcano
- 26 Nov 12:29 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Abramovich wants Ribéry
- 26 Nov 11:59 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Willing to bring Juan back
- 26 Nov 11:30 SWITZERLAND/ YOUNG BOYS, Planning to get Michael Frey back
- 26 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? No way, I love Toffees". Sums and situation
- 26 Nov 10:27 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Leroy Fer might join back in January
- 26 Nov 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, 4 veterans renew for Torino
- 26 Nov 09:29 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Trial period for 2 young Uruguayans
- 26 Nov 08:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Suggestion for Ranocchia
- 26 Nov 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Rafael's agent: "He needs to play with a continuity again. Winter move? I don't know"
- 26 Nov 08:00 JUVENTUS & REAL MADRID, Both surveying Rulli
- 26 Nov 06:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City extend Zuculini's loan to Middlesbrough
- 26 Nov 04:00 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, New suggestion for Borriello
- 26 Nov 02:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Weighing up an offer for Slimani
- 26 Nov 00:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Meeting with Heurtaux's agent soon
- 25 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham loan McEvoy out
- 25 Nov 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Las Palmas extend deal with Tana
- 25 Nov 18:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rodak renews for Fulham
- 25 Nov 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Van Gaal on Robben
- 25 Nov 15:31 FRANCE/ PSG, To plot mega-Ronaldo deal
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, A Serie A suitor for Strinic
- 25 Nov 14:27 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Suggestion for Cigarini
- 25 Nov 13:57 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, 2 Ligue 1 important suitors for Mirallas
- 25 Nov 13:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Van Basten could help AC Milan signing De Roon
- 25 Nov 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Sullivan renews for Blackburn
- 25 Nov 12:30 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Planning to sign Biabiany on loan from Inter
- 25 Nov 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Inler if Witsel remains a dream
- 25 Nov 11:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doneil Henry joins Rovers back from West Ham
- 25 Nov 10:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Papu Gomez
- 25 Nov 10:29 FRANCE/ RENNES, 3 Bundesliga clubs on Grosicki
- 25 Nov 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lisandro Lopez's agent: "Benfica-Fiorentina swap involving Suarez? I don't know if that can happen"
- 25 Nov 09:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger hopeful his side can get the result needed in Greece to progress
- 25 Nov 09:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Offer to Ohéme for N'Koulou ready
- 25 Nov 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta decides: 25 million euros recompra right on Berardi to be used
Forced to a very long stop due to his Achilles tendon's rupture, occurred last November 21, when FC Seville were facing Real Sociedad at Anoeta stadium, Italian 29 years old centre-back Marco Andreolli might be replaced in January by another player to be signed from Inte
Looking forward to Champions League Matchday 5 home game against Manchester City, which might allow Juventus to qualify for eighth finals, Bianconeri
Attending a long press conference, Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez widely commented upon Rafa Benitez's position stability as Merengues manager
On a good route after a difficult start, Manchester United could now get Champiosn League eighth finals pass with one group round turn in advance, now
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi