REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 03 Sep 08:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, In touch with Donadel
- 03 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia announce Negredo signing
- 03 Sep 08:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, José Alberto Cañas joins Espanyol
- 03 Sep 08:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, No AC Milan for Biabiany: Frenchman stays at Parma
- 03 Sep 07:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen loan Wagener out
- 03 Sep 07:30 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Pandev
- 03 Sep 07:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Mainz 05 sign Wollscheid
- 03 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "I am in the bigger club in the world"
- 03 Sep 06:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Hellas Verona sign Saviola
- 03 Sep 06:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Aquilani renewal negotiations getting hard
- 03 Sep 06:15 SPAIN/ DEPORTIVO, Diakité to attend medical tests tomorrow
- 03 Sep 06:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal loan Ryo Miyaichi out to Twente
- 03 Sep 00:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "Falcao? A fantastic signing. I'm honoured for having become England's captain"
- 02 Sep 23:37 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Micah Richards
- 02 Sep 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sandro joins QPR
- 02 Sep 22:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Swiss striker Michael Frey joins Lille
- 02 Sep 22:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kalou joins Hertha Berlin
- 02 Sep 22:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Evian sign Ninkovic
- 02 Sep 22:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Two renewals for Werder Bremen
- 02 Sep 21:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Former Liverpool youngster Stephen Sama joins Stuttgart
- 02 Sep 21:19 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Genk sign Cavric
- 02 Sep 20:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cagliari sign Joao Pedro
- 02 Sep 20:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Joao Silva joins Palermo
- 02 Sep 20:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Cabrera joins Estoril
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 19:36 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rennes sign Habib Habibou
- 02 Sep 19:24 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter loan Taider out again
- 02 Sep 19:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Tongo Doumbia joins Toulouse
- 02 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal announce Welbeck signing on a full basis
- 02 Sep 18:53 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sassuolo sign Consigli
- 02 Sep 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Cleverley joins Aston Villa from United
- 02 Sep 18:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Avramov joins Atalanta
- 02 Sep 18:32 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Belec
- 02 Sep 18:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester United announce terms on Falcao deal
- 02 Sep 18:18 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Diakité might join
- 02 Sep 18:11 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Chalobah out again
- 02 Sep 18:04 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Ricky Alvarez on loan from Inter
- 02 Sep 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Amalfitano
- 02 Sep 17:50 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta sign Papu Gomez
- 02 Sep 17:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Coates out to Sunderland
- 02 Sep 17:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Bonaventura
- 02 Sep 17:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino sign veteran goalie Castellazzi
- 02 Sep 17:22 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund loan Jonas Hofmann out
- 02 Sep 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan loan Gabriel to Serie B side Carpi
- 02 Sep 17:08 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Zaccardo stays at AC Milan
- 02 Sep 17:01 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Cabral set to be loaned out to soon
- 02 Sep 16:52 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kagawa joins Borussia Dortmund back from United
- 02 Sep 16:43 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund: Durm extends
- 02 Sep 16:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri joins Torino
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
Despite the transfer having been sealed and even announced by AC Milan, French winger and forward Jonathan Ludovic Biabiany (26) will be in the end staying put at Parma, at least until January 2015. Currently on a deal with Ducali until June 2018, former Sampdoria player might ho
The player of As Roma, Balzaretti wanted to hold this press conference to give the latest on his injury and explain what he's going through. "
Iker Casillas started in the Anoeta and spoke about Real Madrid‘s defeat in the Anoeta no sooner had the match finished: “The team was neg
Excited from the start of his new adventure at Manchester United, after a very troubled year at AS Monaco, Colombian star striker Radamel Falcao state
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Xabi Alonso has set his sights on winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich, after previously lifting the trophy with Liverpool and Real Madrid.