REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 30 Apr 06:19 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I think that sometimes Guardiola has thought about me"
- 29 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I hope to end my career here"
- 28 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 14 Apr 19:16 SPAIN, Puyol: "To play or to coach? I do not rule out any option"
- 14 Apr 18:48 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Atletico are undisputed favourites - not Real"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are in talks for Alves' new deal"
- 10 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 09 Apr 12:24 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique about Xavi: "I want him to stay and help us"
- 09 Apr 06:20 VALENCIA, André Gomes: "Chelsea? I am happy here"
- 07 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Miranda: "I am staying here"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Xavi can stay, if he wants"
- 05 Apr 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We need new players"
- 04 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Would I rejoin Milan? Of course"
- 03 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, unconcerned by Messi injury
- 02 Apr 14:44 REAL MADRID, Roberto Carlos: "Danilo will succeed in getting under the spotlight"
- 02 Apr 13:31 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "It would be a dream come true to play alongside Messi"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayà will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayà's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayà going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayà's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 03 May 00:00 NEWCASTLE & SUNDERLAND, Eyes on Podolski
- 02 May 23:00 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, 4 million euros ready for hiring Victor Ruiz back from Valencia
- 02 May 22:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, In touch with Muntari's entourage
- 02 May 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Renewal offer submitted to Phil Jones
- 02 May 20:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Approaching Glen Johnson: duel to AS Roma
- 02 May 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Waasland-Beveren sign Jellal
- 02 May 19:00 MLS - USA/ NY RED BULLS, Kevin-Prince Boateng on target
- 02 May 18:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bayern Munich eye Lacazette
- 02 May 17:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Survey on Saponara
- 02 May 17:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Raya renews for Blackburn
- 02 May 16:59 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Daniel Carvalho joins Botafogo
- 02 May 16:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Drogba more and more likely to join MLS
- 02 May 16:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Brouwers opens to deal renewal
- 02 May 15:27 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Cafù renews for Vitoria Guimaraes
- 02 May 14:57 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Bundesliga suitors for Caldirola
- 02 May 14:29 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV renew Guardado's deal
- 02 May 13:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Destro's loan from AS Roma might be extended
- 02 May 13:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Wolfsburg extend contract with Drewes
- 02 May 13:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Malaga target Feddal
- 02 May 12:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Leroy Sané renews for Schalke 04
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 02 May 10:00 ISRAEL/ OFFICIAL, Sasha leaves Hapoel Tel Aviv
- 02 May 09:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Andreas Pereira renews for Manchester United
- 01 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Mission for Obiang
- 01 May 11:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Eyes on Chochev
- 01 May 10:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Three German clubs after Kucka
- 01 May 09:00 FRANCE/ OM, Also Sanchez Flores for the bench
- 01 May 08:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Keen on Mitroglou
- 01 May 07:57 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Asenjo injured
- 01 May 07:27 OL, Lacazette: "Ready to stay"
- 01 May 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Hecking: "I would like to keep Klose"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 01 May 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Honoured by Napoli interest"
- 30 Apr 23:27 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Offer for Verratti ready
- 30 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ INTER, Also West Ham after Andreolli
- 30 Apr 22:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Vitolo renews with Sevilla
- 30 Apr 21:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on Kurzawa
- 30 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Lead on José Mauri
- 30 Apr 21:00 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Also Torino after Congré
- 30 Apr 20:37 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Four youngsters renew with Sporting
- 30 Apr 20:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Scuffet
- 30 Apr 19:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, No agreement with Gourcuff
- 30 Apr 19:39 TURKET/ TRABZONSPOR, Eyes on Ekdal
- 30 Apr 19:20 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Figueiredo renews with Sporting
- 30 Apr 19:00 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Burki renews with Young Boys
- 30 Apr 18:44 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Moreno attracting Premier interest
- 30 Apr 18:44 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW -Inter: eye on the young Brazilian Jeanzinho
- 30 Apr 18:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, expected to announce Nathan
- 30 Apr 18:14 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Vieria future in doubts
Set to say farewell to Inter, despite having just scored his first official goal for Neroazzurri, German international forward Lukas Podolski (29), still on a deal with Arsenal until June 2016 and due to leave on a full basis during next summer, has been targeted by both Newcastl
Interviewed by Sky Sport after the game won against Napoli, Empoli midfielder Mirko Valdifiori has declared: "I am proud to hear about Napoli'
As reported by A Bola, Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas has declared: "Arsenal? Is it better than here? It's clear that I will continue h
Commenting upon Argentinian international offensive midfielder and winger Angel Di Maria's (27) forthcoming future, Manchester United manager Loui
Interviewed by footmercato.net, OL forward Alexandre Lacazette has declared: "I don't know what will happen in the future, but at the moment
Interviewed by the Weser Kurier, Werder Bremen 23-year-old midfielder Izet Hajrovic has declared: "There is no possibility that I will leave. I w