REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 17 Apr 08:21 BARCELONA, Bartra: "This defeat saddens us because we fought until the end"
- 17 Apr 08:12 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Madrid hurt us on counterattack"
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 15 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I don't think I will stay"
- 14 Apr 09:45 BARCELONA FC, Zubizarreta: "Messi's renewal? Things are going quite well"
- 11 Apr 19:45 BARCELONA, Bartra out of Granada squad
- 11 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I don't want to leave"
- 10 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We did well and deserved the 3-1 victory"
- 10 Apr 14:45 REAL MADRID, CR7 injured
- 10 Apr 12:17 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I do not know if Atletico deserved this win"
- 10 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Rafinha: "I am not in talks with Barša"
- 09 Apr 06:00 RAYO, Longo's agent: "He is happy in Spain"
- 08 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois elusive about his future
- 07 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Zubizarreta has no fault"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I am not resigning"
- 05 Apr 06:00 GRANADA, Pina: "No agreement with Real for Siqueira"
- 04 Apr 06:00 BETIS, Reyes: "I would stay even in the Second division"
- 03 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "My future? I live day by day"
- 02 Apr 08:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti prepares Madrid for Dortmund reprise
- 02 Apr 08:34 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "This was probably the biggest match I've played at the Camp Nou"
- 02 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "He won't leave"
- 01 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "I want to continue here"
- 31 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Real? I'll stay here or move to Chelsea"
- 30 Mar 06:59 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Many clubs after Diego Costa"
- 29 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi won't leave, as well as Martino"
- 28 Mar 06:00 GETAFE, Sarabia: "Honored of United's interest, but.."
- 27 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Griezmann: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 Mar 06:00 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "The one in Brazil would be my last World Cup"
- 23 Mar 06:29 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Don't know much about my future"
- 22 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes: "Martino will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, D. Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 20 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "I hope to be back for the CL final"
- 19 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo will end his career here"
- 18 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I also dream to train the Italian NT"
- 17 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Here forever? I don't know"
- 16 Mar 06:29 CELTA, Mouri˝o: "We would like to keep Rafinha"
- 15 Mar 06:29 BETIS, Didac Vila's agent: "His future? Soon we'll see.."
- 14 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I could remain forever"
- 13 Mar 10:08 BARCELONA, Messi: "We're back to our best "
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Pogba? Why not?!"
- 12 Mar 12:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa: "I'm doing well in the Champions League and I'm scoring a lot "
- 12 Mar 06:15 ATLETICO, Villaverde: "Many suitors for Diego Costa"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 18 Apr 22:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Also Immobile on the shortlist
- 18 Apr 22:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Barrios could be loaned out
- 18 Apr 22:20 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eyes on Darder
- 18 Apr 22:00 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Also Juventus after BoŰtius
- 18 Apr 21:37 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Three more options for ter Stegen
- 18 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Basel after Mustafi
- 18 Apr 20:59 FRANCE/ OM, Amalfitano towards England
- 18 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ TORINO, Auction for Glik
- 18 Apr 20:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Eyes on Manolas
- 18 Apr 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ranieri to replace Montella?
- 18 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Offer for Immobile ready
- 18 Apr 19:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Wagner
- 18 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Contacts with Diouf
- 18 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Paulinho to replace Pjanic
- 18 Apr 18:45 HOLLAND/ PSV, Rekik could stay
- 18 Apr 18:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on two Fiorentina players
- 18 Apr 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 4 names for the bench
- 18 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ CATANIA, Bergessio could stay
- 18 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ MILAN, United ready to track Rami
- 18 Apr 16:31 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio: "I always give everything to help the team win"
- 18 Apr 16:15 ENGLAND/ SHEFFIELD UTD, Clough: "De Girolamo-Juve? I don't know about transfer rumors"
- 18 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Prandelli did well to call on El Shaarawy"
- 18 Apr 15:44 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Arsenal asking info about Serge Aurier
- 18 Apr 15:31 INTER, Walter Mazzarri names a 20-man squad for Parma v Inter
- 18 Apr 15:16 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Benjamin Mendy observed by United
- 18 Apr 14:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Arteta: "Admits it is hard to switch off"
- 18 Apr 14:45 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Heitinga: "I'd like to stay here also in the future"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 14:15 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro set to stay
- 18 Apr 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Schmelzer on target
- 18 Apr 13:45 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Nilton's message to Inter, AC Milan and Valencia: "I'm on a deal here, but I like Europe"
- 18 Apr 13:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Carrizo harder to get
- 18 Apr 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, More German rivals towards signing Drmic
- 18 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Abel Hernandez is the new name on tabs
- 18 Apr 12:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Duel to continental competitors on Stambouli: offer submitted
- 18 Apr 12:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Eyes on Cattermole
- 18 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Ruben Botta's agent: "Several suitors for him, but Neroazzurri want to hold him"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 11:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma scout Rafa Silva
- 18 Apr 11:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Insisting on Olic
- 18 Apr 11:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Cambiasso
- 18 Apr 11:07 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Van Basten is the new AZ Alkmaar
- 18 Apr 11:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Van Dijk: "I don't want to move"
- 18 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan and Juventus for Tonny Vilhena
- 18 Apr 10:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Aluko
- 18 Apr 10:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From Germany: 36 million euros needed for Laporte
- 18 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN: Seedorf set to be fired, Inzaghi on the lead position
- 18 Apr 09:45 FRANCE/ O.M., 3 Premier League clubs keen on Romao
- 18 Apr 09:30 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Frey calls Fiorentina back
- 18 Apr 09:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, From Italy: Allegri will be the new Spurs manager
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Walter Mazzarri has picked 20 players for the trip to Parma in Week 34 of Serie A 2013/14. The match at the Stadio Ennio Tardini kicks off at...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Lille defender Simon Kjaer has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's an honor to hear about such a great club, but I...