REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 20 Sep 10:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Two Italian coaches on the list
- 20 Sep 10:27 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi about to renew
- 20 Sep 09:59 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hoarau renews with Young Boys
- 20 Sep 09:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lead on Arbeloa
- 20 Sep 09:00 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Depay
- 20 Sep 08:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Still keen on Palmer-Brown
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 20 Sep 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "United can't afford our players"
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 22:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo renews with FC Porto
- 19 Sep 21:37 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Mutu about to sign
- 19 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Van Buyten could come back
- 19 Sep 18:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Martins quits Benfica
- 19 Sep 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Gaudino farther
- 19 Sep 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, The Cavani dream is not over
- 19 Sep 17:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Barragán likely to extend
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 19 Sep 17:15 FIORENTINA & INTER, Ledesma on target if not renewing with Lazio
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 19 Sep 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nottingham Forest loan Laing out
- 19 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Boruc out to Bournemouth
- 19 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: one less suitor for Mata
- 19 Sep 16:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Basa extends for Lille
- 19 Sep 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - SAINT-ETIENNE, Corgnet on Qarabag demi-failure: "We expected a tough game. All group teams will have trouble playing in Azerbaijan"
- 19 Sep 15:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Zengin might renew soon
- 19 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Schär ready
- 19 Sep 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, From Italy: winter attempt for Dani Alves ready
- 19 Sep 14:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - WOLFSBURG, Arnold: "We are not sticking our heads in the sand"
- 19 Sep 14:30 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Keen on Gokhan Gonul
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 19 Sep 14:01 BASTIA, Brandao suspended for head butt to Thiago Motta
- 19 Sep 13:44 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Winter move for Balanta revealed
- 19 Sep 13:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Considering move for Lugano
- 19 Sep 12:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Possible offer to Joseph Yobo
- 19 Sep 12:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Soriano on target
- 19 Sep 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Elche extend Rubio's deal
- 19 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Havre sign Agbetu
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa could come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
Since having been benched a lot more than expected by Laurent Blanc in the beginning of current season, Uruguayan international striker Edinson Cavani (27) seems to be really weighing up the chance to leave Paris Saint-Germain, even in January, though being still on a deal with t
Hero of the day for Napoli after having scored 2 of the 3 goals thanks to Italian club defeated Sparta Prague in Europa League group round first match
Talking to FC Seville official media after the 2-0 victory over Feyenoord, Argentinian international playmaking midfielder Ever Banega, who joined Eur
Commenting upon Europa League group first match, played against Partizan Belgrade at White Hart Lane and ended in a disappointing 0-0, Tottenham goalk
After the quite unfulfilling 1-1 draw against Azeri outsiders Qarabag, Saint-Etienne offensive midfielder Benjamin Corgnet commented: "Differentl
Commenting upon the 4-1 defeat suffered from Everton, Wolfsburg 1994-born talented offensive midfielder Maxi Arnold stated: "We've been obvio