REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 18 Dec 06:59 BARCELONA FC, Xavi: "We want to win all this year. I'm still excited as at the start of my career"
- 17 Dec 18:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to be like Guardiola"
- 17 Dec 00:15 REAL MADRID, Jese: "You better take cover when Ancelotti gets angry"
- 16 Dec 19:39 LIGA SCANDAL, United's Ander Herrera denies match-fixing claims
- 16 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Recio: "I want to spend my career here"
- 15 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I am not worried about my new contract"
- 12 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The transfer market? It depends from the injuries"
- 11 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Montoya away? We admire him"
- 08 Dec 06:29 GRANADA, Nyom: "Honored by Barcelona interest"
- 07 Dec 06:30 ESPANYOL, Héctor Moreno: "I want to play for a top club"
- 06 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "In January he will leave"
- 05 Dec 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to remain for many years"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti must stay with us for a long time"
- 03 Dec 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 02 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Asensio won't join in January"
- 01 Dec 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I admire Pogba"
- 30 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I am not seeking a defender"
- 29 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mathieu: "We'll see if the club will sign another center back"
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Simeone has a contract and is happy"
- 27 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Cerci away? Ask our Sporting Director"
- 26 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Bitolo: "Honored by Napoli's interest, but.."
- 24 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy here"
- 23 Nov 06:30 ATLETICO M. Cerezo: "We are not thinking about selling Jimenez"
- 22 Nov 06:29 ATLETICO M., Moyà: "Oblak is our future"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 20 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to renew"
- 19 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Krychowiak"
- 18 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Napoli never made an offer"
- 17 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Just rumors about Simeone"
- 16 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like to play in England, but.."
- 15 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA FC, Monchi: "No offers for Vitolo"
- 14 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I had many offers from England, but.."
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "No problems about my new deal"
- 12 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Sterling and Barkley can play for Barça"
- 11 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I have no intention to leave in January"
- 10 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We would like to keep Zuculini"
- 07 Nov 10:00 FC SEVILLE, Pareja: "We are improving and limiting our weaknesses"
- 07 Nov 06:19 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I feel always better in this team"
- 06 Nov 10:19 BARCELONA, Messi matches Raúl González's goal record with double at Ajax
- 06 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Maybe next Monday we'll have a new coach"
- 05 Nov 06:39 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "Now let's defeat Olympiakos and celebrate qualification"
- 04 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about my new contract"
- 03 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Luis Enrique is not at risk"
- 02 Nov 06:00 GRANADA, Murillo: "I deam of Barça"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "No hurry about my renewal"
- 31 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I can still give a lot to this club"
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 29 Oct 07:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "The secret for defeating Barça was running and fighting"
- 28 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Mandzukic: "I had offers from Italy, but.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 19 Dec 19:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for signing Crouch ready
- 19 Dec 19:15 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Offer for Rizzo rejected by Sampdoria
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 18:45 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Approaching Alvaro Pereira
- 19 Dec 18:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "Nothing true about Napoli, he'll weigh up offers after the season ends"
- 19 Dec 18:14 AC MILAN, Diego Lopez: " I couldn't stay at Real Madrid once Navas arrived"
- 19 Dec 17:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez chose Gunners for our style and Champions"
- 19 Dec 17:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Eyes on Gonzalo Barreto
- 19 Dec 17:30 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato's agent: "No contacts with Fiorentina"
- 19 Dec 17:16 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Open to Morrison sale
- 19 Dec 17:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Maxi-plan for signing Bale: De Gea might be a part of it
- 19 Dec 16:46 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Duel to Atalanta for having Gilardino back
- 19 Dec 16:32 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "I'd like to stay here for long time"
- 19 Dec 16:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Venezuelan youngster Ponce about to join
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 15:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Rolando getting nearer
- 19 Dec 15:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese more and more likely to sign Bergessio
- 19 Dec 15:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Delph as a possible heir to Gerrard: duel to Tottenham
- 19 Dec 15:00 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Jackson Martinez observed by two Premier clubs
- 19 Dec 14:46 ENGLAND/ WOLVERHAMPTON, Thorarinsson getting closer
- 19 Dec 14:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Shaqiri's brother: "We'll be ready to talk to top suitors in summer"
- 19 Dec 14:15 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Willing to sign Baird back
- 19 Dec 13:59 GREECE/ PANATHINAIKOS, Approaching Bruno Soares
- 19 Dec 13:43 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, £52M Eden Project
- 19 Dec 13:30 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Mabil will be tested in January
- 19 Dec 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "That's how I signed Alexis Sanchez"
- 19 Dec 13:00 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Veteran goalie Oswaldo Sanchez quits pro football
- 19 Dec 12:44 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, The alternative to Hummels is Otamendi
- 19 Dec 12:30 ITALY/ INTER, Leading the race to Nastasic
- 19 Dec 12:15 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Bruce: "Ben Arfa is likely to leave"
- 19 Dec 12:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Ichazo
- 19 Dec 11:45 FRANCE/ PSG, Back for Pogba
- 19 Dec 11:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Rami
- 19 Dec 11:15 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Keen on Telles
- 19 Dec 11:00 ITALY/ CESENA, Eyes on Grimi
- 19 Dec 10:40 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Scholz to replace Shar
- 19 Dec 10:17 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Interest for Grimi
- 19 Dec 09:57 GERMANY/ HERTHA, Eyes on Vejinović
- 19 Dec 09:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Cassano
- 19 Dec 09:19 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Berdyev is Rostov new coach
- 19 Dec 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Kramaric farther
- 19 Dec 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Interest for Reus confirmed
- 19 Dec 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is no longer the NT coach
- 19 Dec 07:27 OM, Doria's agent: "He could leave"
- 19 Dec 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I think that Shaqiri and Højbjerg will stay"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 19 Dec 00:00 FIORENTINA, Rodriguez: "I would like to end my career at San Lorenzo"
- 18 Dec 23:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Heitinga could leave
- 18 Dec 22:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Offer for Conte ready
Talking about his initial impact with Arsenal first team, Spanish Under-19 international right backwing Hector Bellerin stated: “When you play your first games you’re just trying not to make a mistake. That’s how you face it and then as you get more confide
Diego Lopez has explained that he knew his Real Madrid days were over when Keylor Navas was signed during the summer.
The goalkeeper was the Europe
Eduardo Hernandez, agent of Real Madrid forward Javier Hernandez, has declared: "Sometimes the paper speculate on certain things, and considered
Talking about his initial impact with Arsenal first team, Spanish Under-19 international right backwing Hector Bellerin stated: “When you p
One of the main players in Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 victory over Ajaccio in Coupe de la Ligue latest match, French forward Jean-Christophe Bahebeck sta
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 23-year-old winger Xherdan Shaqiri and 19-year-old midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg: "