REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 24 Oct 20:45 FRANCE/ PSG, Pastore: "I never thought I should have left"
- 24 Oct 20:30 SUNDERLAND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott is not ready"
- 24 Oct 20:15 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Suggestion for Denisov
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 19:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace: Chambers on loan to Welling
- 24 Oct 19:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal sign 2 youngsters on pro contract
- 24 Oct 19:31 JUVENTUS, Asamoah eager for return to winning ways
- 24 Oct 19:20 GERMANY/ WOLSFBURG, Allofs: "We want to hold Rodriguez"
- 24 Oct 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Victor Valdes starts training with Manchester United
- 24 Oct 18:37 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Sammer will pen new deal soon
- 24 Oct 18:17 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, 3 Serie A suitors for Borini
- 24 Oct 17:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Süle
- 24 Oct 17:48 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Aquilani: "Renewal? No news, but I'd like to close my career here"
- 24 Oct 17:39 ARSENAL & CITY, Keen on Bellarabi
- 24 Oct 17:20 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV, Willing to sign Modeste
- 24 Oct 17:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Helenius unwilling to join back
- 24 Oct 16:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Kranevitter on target
- 24 Oct 15:57 ITALY/ GENOA, Approaching Gil
- 24 Oct 15:27 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Closing on Caceres' renewal
- 24 Oct 14:59 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Pasqual on target
- 24 Oct 14:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Pogba signs long-term renewal with Juventus
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Keen on Marlon
- 24 Oct 12:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT: Liga, Premier, Serie A and Bundes suitors for Zambrano
- 24 Oct 11:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Magnanelli's renewal on arrival
- 24 Oct 10:57 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tracking Abate: a target hard to get
- 24 Oct 10:27 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Eyes on Mukhtar
- 24 Oct 09:59 ITALY/ PALERMO, Edgar Barreto available for a renewal
- 24 Oct 09:29 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Bezjak
- 24 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suso farther
- 24 Oct 08:30 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Auction for Mendoza
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 24 Oct 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Caiazzo: "Galtier's future? We'll see"
- 24 Oct 06:59 BORUSSIA, Klopp: "I won't leave"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Oct 00:00 PARMA, De Ceglie's agent: "Here on permanent basis? We'll see"
- 23 Oct 23:27 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Palmeira renews with Belenenses
- 23 Oct 22:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement for Shaqiri
- 23 Oct 22:29 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Eyes on Carrillo
- 23 Oct 21:59 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Also Barcelona after Acheampong
- 23 Oct 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Everton Ribeiro
- 23 Oct 21:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Orión renews with Boca
- 23 Oct 20:37 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Fumu Tamuzo
- 23 Oct 20:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Valdes is training with United
- 23 Oct 19:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Obiak could be loaned out
- 23 Oct 19:39 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Eyes on Doumbia
- 23 Oct 19:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Reveillere
- 23 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I'd love Messi to break the record at the Bernabeu"
- 23 Oct 18:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Merson: "Gunners must spend"
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger talked about infirmary and suspension situation before the away match against Sunderland, scheduled for tomorrow: "We have to check a few players but we have no major injuries from the game at Anderlecht. We'll lose Jack Wilshere, who
Kwadwo Asamoah says the Bianconeri are itching to get back to winning ways starting with Sunday’s visit of Palermo to Juventus Stadium.
Cristiano Ronaldo is in no hurry to overtake Raul's European goalscoring record as he knows he'll "beat his record today or another game&
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger talked about infirmary and suspension situation before the away match against Sunderland, scheduled for tomorrow:
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
Arjen Robben said a tactical tweak was key to FC Bayern München's emphatic victory at AS Roma.
"Afterwards it's always easy to ta