REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Modric has a the touch of class and magic"
07.09.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho is looking forward to his third season at Real Madrid after having won a league title, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, conducted during his participation in the Forum for Coaches from Elite UEFA Clubs in Nyon, the coach reviews the how things are going at Real Madrid and the start of the new campaign. In the second instalment of the interview, Mourinho talks about the objectives of the team, national teams and mentions by name the likes of Modric, Kaká and Essien.
Have Real Madrid’s players, and their coach, lost the hunger for the league and only have the Champions League and matches against Barca on their mind?
I can assure you that it has not happened with me. And I don’t think it has with the team either. But a coach should not rule out the possibility of any strange feelings and should be on top of this. We also have the structure in place to stop that feeling creeping into the squad.
How do you do that?
You have to make sure the players understand that if they want to be candidates, only candidates to win the European Cup they have to play at a high level all season. I tell them that it will not do to be on top form just for a particular match or against a particular opponent. If we want to be on form for the Champions League we must be playing well in the league and cup. That’s why each match doesn’t have the one single objective of winning but we also to look to improve and progress. I don’t say that we expect perfection because it does not exist. But to get close to it, or to try to, is compulsory at Real Madrid. If I think that a player does not understand that then, as a coach, I have weapons to prevent it: for example, if I notice that someone holds back in the league with the Champions League in mind, maybe I’ll surprise him and not play him in the Champions League.
But aren’t you worried about Real Madrid’s sluggish start in the League?
In truth, no. I would worry if I saw that we are the only ones that it was happening to. But it isn’t. All of the teams that had a lot of players in the European Championship or the Olympic Games could have started better. The same has happened with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Porto, Benfica ... almost all the big teams that did not have a full pre-season together are having difficulties.
So, you don’t feel that the yearning for the Champions League could be a distraction to Real Madrid in the league?
I'm not saying it could not happen, that it couldn’t be a hidden risk but I have not sensed it. If it does happen, which is something we cannot predict, we have to realise quickly and take necessary action. I'll be very attentive. I analyse everything, everything that relates to the players and the team. A big team cannot pick and choose their competition and Real Madrid are a big team. Of course you can end up winning or losing but you have to go out and to try to win every time. If I get the feeling that we’re not doing that then I take decisions to try to correct it. But really, I doubt that Real Madrid, with the competitive spirit we have at the moment, will go wrong because of that. This summer’s European Championship are a little to blame for the irregular start in the league. We have to have a bit of patience, although I don’t want my players to think that I am a patient coach so that they don’t relax.
Does the international calendar needing sorting out? Spain have a match in Panama on 14th November. Real Madrid will then have three days before playing Athletic and five days before the fifth group match of the Champions league, away at City. The best eleven will possibly be playing in both...
On one hand, if I were the national team coach I would defend to death every match, every FIFA date and it would seem like there weren’t many of them. I’d ask for more. But as a club coach, as I am now, I see just the opposite. I recognise that it is a problem. But we have made some progress. Now the national team will play a doubleheader, so players can return a day earlier. They’re also removing the August friendly, which is a total disaster. I think the next step will be to stop international friendlies that involve intercontinental travel during the club season. Or that if they are to be played, they are played in July, just after the season, but with holidays and pre-season in mind. This is the perfect time to put on a match in Asia, Africa, America, in continents where they also have the right to see the biggest teams in the world. It is a matter of good will, to find the balance between clubs and national associations without forgetting that the clubs are paying the players.
So you Mourinho, contrary to what people think, are not against international friendlies?
No, I'm not. But I am in favour of them being planned in an orderly and sensible manner. I'm not against it because I understand that national teams promote a good social, emotional, and national feeling and pride and we have to respect that. National teams unite countries, fans of one team with and fans of others. I understand that and support it. But I ask for a balance.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 13 Feb 11:48 Luis Suarez would only go to Liverpool
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 11 Feb 19:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi trains with the group
- 11 Feb 13:40 Valencia only manage draw against weakened Barca team
- 11 Feb 12:59 Barcelona, Luis Enrique: "I had to give my voice a rest"
- 11 Feb 11:21 ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "I would already do a long-life deal"
- 11 Feb 11:00 REAL MADRID - Marcelo
- 10 Feb 20:13 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin close to extend: the two Manchester clubs still keen on him
- 10 Feb 17:33 ATLETICO MADRID - Tiago's future is uncertain
- 10 Feb 17:31 Zidane: "Ronaldo is the best"
- 10 Feb 17:00 CHAMPIONS / Real Madrid: Marcelo and Bale could miss the next match against Roma
- 10 Feb 16:46 LA LIGA / Copa del Rey: Valencia expects a miracle this afternoon against Barça
- 10 Feb 16:45 LA LIGA / Atlético Madrid / Griezmann "I'm not leaving Atletico"
- 10 Feb 15:44 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone fuels Chelsea rumours taking English lessons
- 10 Feb 15:30 OFFICIAL / TRANSFER MARKET / Atlético Madrid: Oblak extends his contract
- 10 Feb 14:07 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "CR7 is the best. to manage this team is a dream"
- 10 Feb 11:34 Valencia 'must win' on Saturday says Neville
- 09 Feb 19:45 REAL MADRID - Bale, Modric, Carvajal and Marcelo skip training
- 09 Feb 19:39 OFFICIAL - Betis, Bruno Gonzalez extend until 2019
- 09 Feb 18:06 REAL MADRID, Marcelo shoulder dislocation confirmed
- 09 Feb 14:00 RANKING GOLDEN SHOE'16: Higuain, Gonçalves and Suarez occupy the podium of the Golden Shoe'16
- 09 Feb 13:06 Messi sent for tests on Kidneys
- 09 Feb 12:48 Dyche critical of Neville
- 09 Feb 11:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi to undergo minor kidney surgery
- 08 Feb 16:20 Barcelona chase club record
- 08 Feb 11:28 LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Luka wondergoal gives Real Madrid 2-1 win at Granada
- 08 Feb 10:15 Barcelona confident over Neymar
- 08 Feb 10:06 Liverpool interested in Jese
- 08 Feb 09:44 Neville's Valencia lose again
- 08 Feb 09:08 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Marcelo ends match with badly injured shoulder
- 07 Feb 12:30 Barça demands respect after harassment to Neymar
- 06 Feb 14:45 TRANSFER MARKET / LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Zidane want Hazard
- 05 Feb 11:22 Valencia - Rafa Benitez set to oust Gary Neville
- 04 Feb 22:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar sr.: "No reason to renew, he won't end his career at Barça"
- 04 Feb 17:40 ATLETICO MADRID - Cerezo: "Jackson Martinez wasn't at the top of the situation"
- 04 Feb 14:14 Canizares: 'Neville should apologise and resign'
- 04 Feb 10:43 Valencia – Gary Neville will not resign
- 03 Feb 17:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA / SEVILLA FC: If Kakuta leaves, leave an open tab to enroll Fazio in Europa League
- 03 Feb 16:31 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Market revolution
- 02 Feb 09:37 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Florentino need give love to Benzema
- 02 Feb 08:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Atletico negotiates signing of Brazilian Caio Henrique to his junior team
- 01 Feb 21:46 OFFICIAL - Osasuna, De Las Cuevas sign
- 01 Feb 16:51 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Verdú near close his move to Levante
- 31 Jan 22:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Real Madrid thrashed Espanyol to regain confidence in themselves
- 31 Jan 09:58 REAL MADRID - PSG centre-back Marquinhos targeted
- 30 Jan 18:45 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Rumours on Neymar don't bother us"
- 30 Jan 18:36 BARCELONA - Leroy Sané chooses Azulgrana, he can arrive next summer
- 30 Jan 17:48 Barcelona v Atletico 2-1: Messi and Suarez for the comeback and top spot
- 30 Jan 15:15 OFFICIAL - Asteras Tripolis and Lanzarote part company on mutual consent: he signed for Zaragoza
- 30 Jan 01:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW / SPAIN / LA LIGA: FIFA suspends the penalty to Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid
- 29 Jan 22:58 REAL BETIS- Montoya already in Sevilla to undergo medical
- 29 Jan 21:55 ATLETICO MADRID - The club decides Oliver Torres is not for sale
- 29 Jan 21:18 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We aren't scared of Barcelona"
- 29 Jan 20:46 BARCELONA - Bordas on Neymar: "He will be with us for a long time"
- 29 Jan 11:56 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi offered 23 million to move to China
- 28 Jan 13:53 Real Madrid contacted by Chelsea over Carvajal
- 27 Jan 22:00 Spain / La Liga: Atlético de Madrid 2 - Celta de Vigo 3
- 27 Jan 21:53 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Copa del Rey Barça 3 - Athletic Club de Bilbao 1
- 27 Jan 20:30 Atlético de Madrid - Celta de Vigo
- 23 Jan 08:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar's father: "My son is not interested in joining Real Madrid"
- 06 Jan 12:11 REAL MADRID, Zidane promises 'beautiful football' at Merengues
- 05 Jan 09:30 REAL MADRID/ OFFICIAL, Zinedine Zidane is the new first squad manager
- 04 Jan 17:00 BARCELONA FC, Former teammate Alcantara: "Messi, Suarez and Neymar all deserve Ballon d'Or"
- 31 Dec 01:16 SEVILLA, Llorente wanted Juventus stay
- 28 Dec 17:27 REAL MADRID, Statement about disciplinary decisions in relation to the Copa del Rey
- 25 Dec 10:22 BARCELONA, Messi: "Ronaldinho told me to take his No.10 shirt"
- 24 Dec 11:33 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "Neymar can't pip Messi to the Ballon d'Or ... yet"
- 18 Dec 20:00 REAL MADRID, Florentino: "Benitez is not our problem, he's our solution. Zidane? He'll sure be Merengues manager in the future"
- 18 Dec 15:29 REAL MADRID, Florentino rules out Mourinho coming back soon
- 16 Dec 08:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "No jealousy between Messi, Neymar and Suarez"
- 15 Dec 19:18 BARCELONA, Jordi Alba: "We don't rely on Messi or Neymar"
- 14 Dec 07:30 REAL MADRID, Modric on Villarreal failure: "My mistake on their goal. Now let's end 2015 on a high note"
- 09 Dec 14:16 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "You have to be wary with Leverkusen"
- 09 Dec 10:48 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ronaldo Happy at Real
- 03 Dec 11:59 REAL MADRID, Copa del Rey at risk: Benitez lines up a suspended player
- 03 Dec 09:29 VALENCIA, Gayà: "Now Neville will suggest us his ideas as a trainer"
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 29 Nov 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Official report on Tiago's surgery
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 14 Feb 13:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / Bayern Munchen: A possible dismissal of Guardiola
- 14 Feb 12:00 FRANCE/ O.M., 6 important suitors for Batshuayi
- 14 Feb 08:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Duel to Arsenal on Baby Face Koziello
- 14 Feb 04:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mosquera renews for Deportivo La Coruña
- 14 Feb 00:00 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Terziev renews for Ludogorets
- 13 Feb 20:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Young goalie Unai Simón on target
- 13 Feb 16:00 PREMIER LEAGE / Chelsea: Falcao will be ready in 10 days
- 13 Feb 16:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Majestic offer for Matuidi ready
- 13 Feb 15:42 PREMIER LEAGUE / Rebellion in the stands
- 13 Feb 14:15 OFFICIAL / EXCLUSIVE TMW / Premier League: Özil rejects the offer to renew from Arsenal
- 13 Feb 13:21 Schneiderlin replaces Fellaini
- 13 Feb 13:00 Michael Owen believes Leicester could be relegated next year
- 13 Feb 12:40 Mark Hughes had faith in Jack Butland
- 13 Feb 12:30 Redknapp: "Tottenham could be Londons biggest club"
- 13 Feb 12:15 Ray Wilkins: "Van Gaal needs to get top four place"
- 13 Feb 12:00 Kompany struggling with injuries
- 13 Feb 12:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Almost done for Croatian duo Vargic-Ivic
- 13 Feb 11:48 Luis Suarez would only go to Liverpool
- 13 Feb 08:00 CHINA/ SHANGHAI SIPG, Eriksson: "Stars like CR7, Messi and Rooney can join China soon"
- 13 Feb 03:22 CZECH REPUBLIC/ BANIK OSTRAVA, Test period for Karol Karlík
- 13 Feb 03:15 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Koffie joins New England Revolution
- 13 Feb 03:08 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Oviedo renews for Everton
- 13 Feb 03:01 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Ibisevic to play for Hertha next season as well
- 12 Feb 23:00 COLOMBIA / Rodallega waiting the Pekerman's call
- 12 Feb 22:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / The eight bombs of Football Leaks
- 12 Feb 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Newcastle loan Ameobi to Fleetwood
- 12 Feb 21:17 ESTONIA/ OFFICIAL, Nomme Kalju sign Sidorenkov
- 12 Feb 20:59 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Veteran icon Zé Roberto announces quitting in June
- 12 Feb 20:39 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Yunus Malli: "Moving to Dortmund in summer? It's possible"
- 12 Feb 20:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / LIGUE 1 / PSG opens the door to Marquinhos
- 12 Feb 20:20 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, St. Gallen sign Leitgeb
- 12 Feb 20:00 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Veteran striker Gudjohnsen joins Molde FK
- 12 Feb 19:42 PREMIER LEAGUE / Chelsea: Costa breaks his nose in training
- 12 Feb 15:55 Fabian Delph could miss Euro's with injury
- 12 Feb 15:45 Rolando Aarons wants a Newcastle win against Chelsea
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:15 AC Milan interested in Fellaini
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 12 Feb 15:00 Allardyce fears Wayne Rooney
- 12 Feb 14:50 Manchester United youngster to get chance at Sunderland
- 12 Feb 14:40 Lukaku wants more goals
- 12 Feb 14:24 Sturridge could start for Liverpool on Sunday
- 12 Feb 14:19 Mark Hughes wants more from Stoke City
- 12 Feb 14:12 NAPOLI - Higuain rejected Chelsea offer
- 12 Feb 14:11 Carrick: "Anthony Martial needs time"
- 12 Feb 13:48 Everton set to hand new deals to Oviedo and Besic
- 12 Feb 13:40 Alex Sandro: "I advice Hulk to come to Juventus"
- 12 Feb 13:35 Fletcher marks full debut with goal
- 12 Feb 13:31 ARSENAL - Meeting for Sanchez's renewal in the upcoming days
- 12 Feb 13:22 Arsenal to target teenager Reece Oxford?
Pep Guardiola could leave Bayern Munich before the end of the season, according to the Daily Express. The announcement of his departure to Manchester City has strained the atmosphere around the Bavarians, which would remove him in case be eliminated in the Champio
Italian club AC Milan have shown interest in Manchester United Midfielder Marouane Fellaini.
Milan have reportedly been in contact with the 28-year
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has said that if he wouldn't dismiss a return to the Premier League, but he would only ever go to Liverpool.
Colombian striker Falcao Garcia of Chelsea, sidelined due to the rise of a hamstring injury, will be ready to play in ten days, said today the player&
The coach of Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), Laurent Blanc said Friday that at the end of the season will decide on the future of Brazilian defender Marqui
Pep Guardiola could leave Bayern Munich before the end of the season, according to the Daily Express. The announcement of his departure to Manchester