FIFA WORLD CUP 2014, Low: "Germany lacked self-assurance"
12.09.2012 12.22 by TM W
© foto di Imagoe/Image Sport
Germany coach Joachim Low believed his side's 2-1 win over Austria could have been a lot easier had his side kept their composure in the second half.
Germany led 2-0 early in the second period when Mesut Ozil converted a penalty, but Austria replied and had their visitors on the ropes for the final half-hour, missing numerous chances to make the breakthrough and grab at least a point.
Indeed, Germany struggled from start to finish against a hungry Austria, but Low said all his team had failed to do was land a decisive blow. "We had the chances to make it 3-0, which we should have done," he said.
"They showed a lot of energy but they tired after an hour or 70 minutes and we should have got the third goal and that would have been that. Instead, we let them come at us and committed too many mistakes."
Low admitted he was not surprised by Austria's strength, or their doggedness, in what he described as "the biggest game they can have".
He told Germany's ARD television: "I don't think there is one game in which Austria want to win more than against Germany. This makes them so motivated. We lacked self-assurance and got nervous and we did not deal with that very well."
Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira agreed: "We can be happy with our three points, but not with the way we won them. We were up 2-0 and then we let Austria back into the game with tactical errors. That should not happen."
Bayern Munich's Thomas Mueller added: "We made mistakes and literally handed our opponents two or three invitations (to score). We did not deliver a perfect game. We were just lucky in the end."
Austria were left frustrated at the final whistle given the number of opportunities they wasted. Marko Arnautovic missed the best chance in the closing moments of the game, but he received support from his team-mate Martin Harnik.
"I reminded him that he set up our goal well and had played a good game and it could just happen to anybody" said the Stuttgart attacker. "It's deja-vu from last year - we really had to win. Germany had maybe three chances and we had at least double so we are disappointed. Now we have just got to pick up the points against other nations and not Germany."
Other news Other News
- 27 Nov 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Vermaelen out for five months?
- 26 Nov 07:57 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Ćurčić is the new NT coach
- 24 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus injured again
- 23 Nov 08:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Torosidis injured
- 22 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Toivonen recovers
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 19 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Lahm out for three months
- 18 Nov 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic is no longer the NT coach
- 17 Nov 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Nov 08:27 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Ketsbaia is no longer the NT coach
- 15 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rafinha injured
- 14 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna injured
- 12 Nov 07:17 DENMARK/ BRONDBY, Agger injured
- 11 Nov 14:14 DENMARK, Jorgensen quits football: "Proud of my career"
- 11 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus injured
- 10 Nov 19:00 ITALY, Conte: "Balotelli not different "
- 10 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Insigne injured
- 08 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alaba underwent surgery
- 06 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND, Hodgson explains Saido Berahino England squad call up
- 06 Nov 07:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Alcaraz injured
- 05 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi out for 5 months
- 04 Nov 10:30 PREVIEW: Arsenal v Anderlecht: Possible lineups
- 04 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Draxler injured
- 03 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels injured
- 01 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Iborra injured
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Menís shortlists for FIFA Ballon díOr 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "Iím better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" Iím chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 27 Nov 16:38 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL Werder Bremen: Skripnik pens new deal
- 27 Nov 16:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sanogo and Arteta pick up injuries during win, confirms Wenger
- 27 Nov 16:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere out for three months
- 27 Nov 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Lampard says Sergio Aguero is world's best striker
- 27 Nov 15:44 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Fabregas feeling on top form
- 27 Nov 15:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD ,Evans almost recovered
- 27 Nov 08:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner to renew
- 27 Nov 08:15 ARGENTINA/ SAN LORENZO, Eyes on two midfielders
- 27 Nov 08:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement with Kramaric
- 27 Nov 07:40 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Two clubs after Clemens
- 27 Nov 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Vermaelen out for five months?
- 27 Nov 06:57 PSG, Maxwell and van der Wiel's agent: "They will renew"
- 27 Nov 06:39 BORUSSIA, Klopp: "Arsenal? My future is here"
- 27 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Cerci away? Ask our Sporting Director"
- 27 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Pogba is not for sale"
- 26 Nov 23:37 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Also Bayern after Godin
- 26 Nov 23:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Perisic
- 26 Nov 22:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Rodriguez ready to renew
- 26 Nov 22:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Mbakogu
- 26 Nov 22:20 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Lead on Suarez
- 26 Nov 22:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Done for Schar
- 26 Nov 21:37 GERMANY/ BAYER, Hilbert could leave
- 26 Nov 21:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Still keen on Pjanic
- 26 Nov 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Roma after Hojbjerg
- 26 Nov 20:39 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Universidad fire Falcioni
- 26 Nov 20:20 CROATIA/ DINAMO, Also Borussia after Brozovic
- 26 Nov 20:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, New opening for signing Cabaye in January
- 26 Nov 19:45 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Approaching Clemens
- 26 Nov 19:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus eye Rolando
- 26 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Klopp: "In comparison to Bundesliga, Champions is currently holiday for us. We really want to win the group"
- 26 Nov 19:00 HAMBURG & WOLFSBURG, January duel for Moisander in the viewfinder
- 26 Nov 18:47 FRANCE/ PSG, Eriksen as a main target
- 26 Nov 18:34 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., 2 Premier League pursuers for Kruse
- 26 Nov 18:19 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Kompany: "Aguero is our special one"
- 26 Nov 18:02 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Chambers: "We'll heed Dortmund warning"
- 26 Nov 17:47 INDIA/ CHENNAIYIN, Materazzi wants Nesta in
- 26 Nov 17:46 INTER, Juan Jesus: "An honour to be coached by Mancini"
- 26 Nov 17:33 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Premier League suitors for Cagliari's jewel Donsah
- 26 Nov 17:18 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "We know how it works with criticisms. I strongly believe in my players"
- 26 Nov 16:56 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Morales more and more likely to renew
- 26 Nov 16:27 INTER, Mancini: "Dnipro? We have to be careful tomorrow"
- 26 Nov 15:56 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Podolski thinking to come back to Koln
- 26 Nov 15:29 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Eyes on Stefaniak
- 26 Nov 14:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Serie A suitors for Acquah
- 26 Nov 14:30 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Testing Azerbaijani goalie Balayev
- 26 Nov 14:00 AUSTRIA/ RAPID WIEN, Willing to sign Holzhauser back
- 26 Nov 13:44 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Shaw could come back in 3 weeks
- 26 Nov 13:32 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini and Lampard hail Sergio Aguero
- 26 Nov 13:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Wilshere has ligament damage"
- 26 Nov 13:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "Koscielny is back. I don't know if Welbeck starts"
Arsenal will be without Jack Wilshere for around three months after the England midfielder underwent successful surgery.
An Arsenal statement read: "Jack Wilshere has had successful surgery on his left ankle and will be out for approximately three months.
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has declared: "We have never considered the option to sell Pogba, he is a gre
Interviewed by Mediaset Premium, Atletico Madrid coach Diego Pablo Simeone has declared: "Cerci away in January? You must ask the Sporting Direct
Jurgen Klopp’s side currently occupy the relegation play-off spot in the Bundesliga after only winning three of their 12 league games this campa
Laurent Blanc, Paris Saint-Germain coach has spoken in the press conference of Champions league match.
"What changed for us between the draw in
Interviewed by Mediaset Premium, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "I don't think that Arsenal fans would like to see me on