FIFA WORLD CUP 2014, Low: "Germany lacked self-assurance"
12.09.2012 11.22 by TM W
© foto di Imagoe/Image Sport
Germany coach Joachim Low believed his side's 2-1 win over Austria could have been a lot easier had his side kept their composure in the second half.
Germany led 2-0 early in the second period when Mesut Ozil converted a penalty, but Austria replied and had their visitors on the ropes for the final half-hour, missing numerous chances to make the breakthrough and grab at least a point.
Indeed, Germany struggled from start to finish against a hungry Austria, but Low said all his team had failed to do was land a decisive blow. "We had the chances to make it 3-0, which we should have done," he said.
"They showed a lot of energy but they tired after an hour or 70 minutes and we should have got the third goal and that would have been that. Instead, we let them come at us and committed too many mistakes."
Low admitted he was not surprised by Austria's strength, or their doggedness, in what he described as "the biggest game they can have".
He told Germany's ARD television: "I don't think there is one game in which Austria want to win more than against Germany. This makes them so motivated. We lacked self-assurance and got nervous and we did not deal with that very well."
Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira agreed: "We can be happy with our three points, but not with the way we won them. We were up 2-0 and then we let Austria back into the game with tactical errors. That should not happen."
Bayern Munich's Thomas Mueller added: "We made mistakes and literally handed our opponents two or three invitations (to score). We did not deliver a perfect game. We were just lucky in the end."
Austria were left frustrated at the final whistle given the number of opportunities they wasted. Marko Arnautovic missed the best chance in the closing moments of the game, but he received support from his team-mate Martin Harnik.
"I reminded him that he set up our goal well and had played a good game and it could just happen to anybody" said the Stuttgart attacker. "It's deja-vu from last year - we really had to win. Germany had maybe three chances and we had at least double so we are disappointed. Now we have just got to pick up the points against other nations and not Germany."
Other news News
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 04 Aug 10:15 VIDEO NEWS - AC Milan 1-3 Chelsea
Got back from a half-season loan at Burnley, English-Irish striker Patrick Bamford (23) is about to reach Middlesbrough training ground, in order to undergo medical tests for Boro and be signed by Riverside Stadium side. Currently on a deal with Chelsea until June 2018, former No
Establishing himself as one of the most skilled young midfielders in Italian scene, 1997-born Nicolò Barella, according to Sky Sport Italia, is
After having resigned from Espanyol just a week ago, former Argentinian international centre-back Martin Demichelis (36), according to Marca
Got back from a half-season loan at Burnley, English-Irish striker Patrick Bamford (23) is about to reach Middlesbrough training ground, in order to u
Bastia SC announced having signed DR Congolese international midfielder Prince Oniangué (28) and French centre-back Lindsay
Formed in Wolfsburg development area, and playing in Bundesliga club second squad since the start of current season, German Under-20 international win