SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I have to do what the coach asks me"
13.09.2012 23.18 by TM W
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Cesc Fabregas has responded to transfer talk claiming he could leave Barcelona on loan in January by stressing that he is happy at the club - even if he's having to curb his attacking instincts.
At Arsenal and then at the start of his second spell with Barcelona, Fabregas was established as a regular goalscorer and a player who would be expected to make driving forward runs.
He even played as a striker for Spain in the early stages of Euro 2012.
But Fabregas' role is changing, and under new manager Tito Vilanova he has been asked to play in the holding position.
"I'm not a player who will score 30 goals in a season and fight for the 'Pichichi' (the prize that goes to the top scorer in Spain). Far from it," Fabregas said.
"I am a midfielder but it's true that in the past few seasons I've scored many goals, and when I play in advanced positions I try to do that.
"But when I play deeper I try to hold the position and work for others, get the team moving and if there is an opportunity to try to get a goal as well, but that's not what the boss is asking of me.
"I have to do what the coach asks me to and that isn't to score two goals every gam. I try to do my job and I'm very calm, very content and very happy to be here.
"What I want is to stay and play at Barca and work as hard as I can."
Fabregas sparked speculation over his future earlier in the month when he hinted it was frustrating to be a substitute after he sat on the bench throughout a Spanish Super Cup defeat by Real Madrid.
The 25-year-old has not completed a full match for Barcelona this season but said in an interview today with club television station Barca TV: "I believe I have adapted well to the dressing room and to the club in general and the truth is I'm very happy and working hard.
"Last season was very positive for me and I'm trying every day to play as well as I can because everyone is happy with me."
Other news Transfer market
- 28 Jul 10:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fariña joins Depor
- 28 Jul 09:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Idea Gargano
- 28 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Eyes on Rodriguez
- 28 Jul 09:15 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Idea Clasie
- 28 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, New chance for Suarez
- 28 Jul 08:30 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Ghilas likely to join
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 28 Jul 07:27 OM, Ayew's agent: "He could move to Italy soon"
- 28 Jul 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Guardiola will stay at least until 2016"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 23:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Price for Ljajic is set
- 27 Jul 22:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Celta sign Rioja
- 27 Jul 22:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Lovren
- 27 Jul 21:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also Fiorentina after Jonas
- 27 Jul 21:30 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Schär
- 27 Jul 21:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Eyes on Manolas
- 27 Jul 20:27 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Offer for Rojo ready
- 27 Jul 19:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New meeting for Romulo
- 27 Jul 19:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Two Spanish clubs after Chantome
- 27 Jul 18:59 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Prödl
- 27 Jul 18:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Isco towards Manchester City
- 27 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Still keen on Criscito
- 27 Jul 17:27 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, José Angel about to join
- 27 Jul 16:57 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Babacar
- 27 Jul 16:29 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Estudiantes sign Navarro
- 27 Jul 15:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Juve's offer for Candreva refused
- 27 Jul 15:30 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Done for Vietto
- 27 Jul 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Auction for Ogbonna
- 27 Jul 14:27 ITALY/ VERONA, Idea Sorensen
- 27 Jul 13:57 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Agreement for Muller
- 27 Jul 13:29 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Idea Stambouli
- 27 Jul 12:59 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Sprint for Insua
- 27 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sevilla sign Arribas
- 27 Jul 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sprint for M'Poku
- 27 Jul 11:27 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Survey on Eto'o
- 27 Jul 10:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Ansaldi about to sign
- 27 Jul 10:29 FRANCE/ MONACO, Sprint for Cerci
- 27 Jul 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo's signing to be announced on Tuesday
- 27 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ospina joins Arsenal
- 27 Jul 09:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting sign Sarr
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 27 Jul 07:57 OM, Payet: "I want to stay"
- 27 Jul 07:29 WERDER, Schroder: "Many clubs afyer Akpala"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 27 Jul 02:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ready to sign Casillas if Real give permission
- 27 Jul 01:27 ITALY/ GENOA, Roncaglia the alternative to Campagnaro
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract with Inter, we'll see. We will choose the best solution for me and the club".
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has declared about Real Sociedad 23-year-old winger Antoine Griezmann: "He is a good player, very fast. He co
After Arsenal announced having signed Colombian international David Ospina, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger commented upon it: “David Ospin
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Federico Pastorello, agent of OM 24-year-old forward André Ayew, has declared: "We are talking about a good play