LIVERPOOL, Allen: "It will click"
17.09.2012 10.58 by TM W
Joe Allen reflected on Liverpool's hard-fought 1-1 draw against Sunderland on Saturday and insisted the Reds demonstrated enough commitment and quality to win the game.
The Wales international was as diligent as ever in the centre of the park for the visitors, taking more touches than any other player on the field and playing more passes.
And the 22-year-old believes that if the side keep moving the ball about and fashioning goalscoring opportunities, they are heading in the right direction to pick up their first win of the Barclays Premier League campaign.
"It will click," he told the Liverpool Echo. "We don't want to start making excuses and putting too much down to luck but there's definitely an element of that at the moment, you can't deny it.
"It seems to take the opposition one chance to get a goal. We keep plugging away and do everything right and it hasn't quite clicked at times. I'm confident it will and we're really looking forward to it happening.
"Sunderland are a tough team to play against, they gave everything and made it as difficult as possible for us to get back into it.
"But having said that, there were enough chances for us to have won the game. We controlled the game and the biggest positive is the spirit we showed after going behind.
"Nine times out of 10, you show spirit and commitment like that and you won't go too far wrong.
"The ability and quality is there."
The midfielder also took time out to praise the support the team received from travelling Liverpool fans on Saturday after an emotional week in which the Hillsborough Independent Panel released its report.
The Reds fans were in full voice from first minute to last and Allen's main regret is that the players could not take all three points back to Merseyside as a fitting tribute to their unwavering support.
"We wanted to do it for the fans," he said. "We spoke about that before the game. It's been a tough week for everyone and it's unfortunate we couldn't give the fans the three points.
"They gave us fantastic support until the end and they kept us going. It's disappointing we only got a point.
"It was a soft goal for us to give away and it's always tough to chase the game, especially away from home."
Raheem Sterling was one of Liverpool's stand-out performers as the winger continued his fine start to the season in the Reds' first team.
And Allen insisted the whole side are pleased with his dedication to the cause.
"You forget how young Raheem is, given the way he plays," said Allen.
"It's fantastic for him, and to continue right up to the 90th minute at that level is very impressive.
"The whole team are very proud of him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Aug 21:18 TOTTENHAM - Eriksen: "Janssen and Kane have a good partnership"
- 23 Aug 19:55 OFFICIAL - WEST HAM winger Martin Samuelsen signs new contract
- 23 Aug 19:18 WEST HAM - Reece Burke signs a new four-year deal with club
- 23 Aug 19:03 BURNLEY striker Andre Gray charged by FA over homophobic tweets
- 23 Aug 18:55 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We want KONE to stay put. Mawson and Manquillo? We are interested in them"
- 23 Aug 17:16 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We put a smile back on French people's faces at Euro 2016"
- 23 Aug 11:34 ARSENAL have shown interest in Diogo Goncalves
- 23 Aug 10:06 MAN UNITED - Sam Johnstone: "I’ve got one of the best goalkeepers in the world ahead of me but..."
- 23 Aug 09:05 EVERTON are keen on the signing of Lucas Perez Martinez
- 23 Aug 08:34 WEST HAM - Reece Burke: "I want to build on that experience"
- 22 Aug 14:42 STOKE CITY - An English and a Dutch suitors on Potters wonderkid VERLINDEN
- 22 Aug 12:03 TOTTENHAM have shown interest in Andriy Yarmolenko
- 22 Aug 11:32 ARSENAL - Takuma Asano hasn't been confered work permit
- 22 Aug 11:04 WEST BROM are looking to sign SOUTHAMPTON Jay Rodriguez
- 22 Aug 09:47 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We are working hard"
- 21 Aug 13:03 CHELSEA, Conte: "We need to sign a defender"
- 21 Aug 09:29 CRYSTAL PALACE signing Benteke believes Klopp did not trust him
- 21 Aug 09:00 WEST BROM, Pulis: "Chinese owners will give us money to bring players in"
- 20 Aug 13:33 OFFICIAL - Ben Gibson pens new deal with MIDDLESBROUGH
- 20 Aug 12:34 MAN UNITED - Mourinho explains why Fellaini improved under him
- 20 Aug 11:01 MAN UNITED - Ibrahimovic: "We need to get used to winning: mental part is always important"
- 20 Aug 09:32 MAN UNITED - Mourinho on Pogba's debut: "He was fantastic"
- 20 Aug 07:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho hails incredible Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 19 Aug 22:31 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "I think we were a bit unlucky"
- 19 Aug 19:00 CHELSEA, Conte: “Watford a dangerous game: what we need to win”
- 19 Aug 18:33 CHELSEA, Conte: “I’m happy with Diego Costa’s attitude and behaviour”
- 19 Aug 18:06 CHELSEA, Conte: "I’ve a great respect for Watford coach Mazzari”
- 19 Aug 16:37 BURNLEY manager admits Defour might not be the last signing
- 19 Aug 09:07 LEICESTER CITY - Mahrez after the new deal: "I'm happy to continue here"
- 18 Aug 21:00 LEICESTER, Ranieri: "Mahrez told me he wanted to stay, I am pleased"
- 18 Aug 20:46 SWANSEA boss Guidolin confirms Bastòn won't feature against HULL CITY
- 18 Aug 20:29 BURNLEY manager admits he worked hard to sign Defour
- 18 Aug 19:03 LIVERPOOL handed boost over Mane injury scare
- 18 Aug 18:00 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY loan two youngsters out
- 18 Aug 16:37 MAN UNITED - Nani: " I see Sir Alex Ferguson like a father"
- 18 Aug 15:30 SUNDERLAND, Januzaj: "I love playing for MOYES, he gives me freedom and confidence"
- 18 Aug 13:44 CHELSEA - Conte wants Eden Hazard to bulk up
- 18 Aug 13:26 EVERTON, Erwin Koeman: "Williams needed rest after Euros. Bolasie and him are enjoying working with us"
- 18 Aug 12:48 LIVERPOOL sign partnership deal with video game developer Konami
- 18 Aug 00:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Watching KOSCIELNY play is a joy for me"
- 17 Aug 19:59 WEST HAM - Andre Ayew to have scans on his thigh injury to determine the severity
- 17 Aug 19:12 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "There's no problem with José FONTE"
- 17 Aug 16:49 OFFICIAL - CLUCAS extends for HULL CITY
- 17 Aug 14:38 MANCHESTER UNITED not going to extend Rooney's contract
- 17 Aug 12:35 HULL CITY have shown interest in Benjamin Moukandjo
- 17 Aug 11:06 MAN CITY - Pep Guardiola: "Sterling has a lot of quality"
- 17 Aug 10:04 NEWCASTLE - Rafa Benitez: "We will be where we want to be at the end of the season"
- 17 Aug 09:33 CHELSEA - Cahill: "With Conte I've experienced one of the hardest pre-season ever"
- 17 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I'm helping Holding settling down"
- 16 Aug 17:04 EVERTON close to meet Moussa Sissoko's agent
- 16 Aug 16:01 TOTTENHAM announce Lloris will be out for 4 weeks
- 16 Aug 14:53 MANCHESTER UNITED - Jamie Redknapp: "Bailly is a very good defender"
- 16 Aug 12:34 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte target FC KOLN Jonas Hector
- 16 Aug 10:33 MANCHESTER CITY, Neville: "Joe Hart should stay"
- 16 Aug 09:16 WATFORD closing in on Pereyra move
- 16 Aug 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Defeating Arsenal gives us a lot of confidence"
- 15 Aug 21:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "We were excellent in the first half, but Liverpool succeeded in damaging us afterwards"
- 15 Aug 18:44 CHELSEA loanee Traore made his debut for AJAX
- 15 Aug 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Zlatan is at the top of his qualities"
- 15 Aug 12:22 MANCHESTER CITY - Guardiola: "I'm pretty sure Hart is unhappy"
- 15 Aug 11:34 BOURNEMOUTH - Smith: "We give it our all and that's all we can do"
- 15 Aug 11:06 PL / CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Predicted Line Ups
- 15 Aug 10:51 PL/ CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Team News
- 15 Aug 10:37 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "We need players back"
- 15 Aug 09:31 LIVERPOOL defender Mamadou Sakho could move to BESIKTAS
- 14 Aug 19:26 MANCHESTER UNITED - Martial: "Ballon D'or is still far away with Messi and Ronaldo around"
- 14 Aug 16:38 CHELSEA, Lampard: "The Blues will be back challenging under Conte"
- 14 Aug 09:32 TOTTENHAM set talks over £19.5m deal
- 13 Aug 19:50 EVERTON, Koeman: "I hope we will sign two new players next week"
- 13 Aug 19:37 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Maybe we'll bring in more players"
- 13 Aug 19:13 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 2-1 SUNDERLAND - Full Time
- 13 Aug 19:09 WEST BROM, Pulis: "Would be a suicide to let Berahino go"
- 13 Aug 18:57 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-1 SUNDERLAND - Livescore
- 13 Aug 18:48 SWANSEA, Guidolin: "A good win, I am confident for the future"
- 13 Aug 18:35 MIDDLESBROUGH, Karanka: "Negredo is a top player"
- 13 Aug 18:19 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-0 SUNDERLAND - Halftime
- 13 Aug 17:34 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-0 SUNDERLAND - Livescore
- 13 Aug 16:57 PL - MANCHESTER CITY v SUNDERLAND - Official Lineups
- 13 Aug 16:54 PREMIER LEAGUE - Fulltime Scores
- 13 Aug 16:51 INTER MILAN to consider Alexis Sanchez move
- 13 Aug 16:38 TOTTENHAM set to launch a £13m bid for SPORTING's Adrien Silva
- 13 Aug 16:05 WEST BROM set to sign Schlupp from LEICESTER
- 13 Aug 15:50 PREMIER LEAGUE - Halftime Scores
- 13 Aug 15:34 MANCHESTER UNITED boss Mourinho has no problems with Mata
- 13 Aug 14:41 WATFORD lining up move for CHELSEA star Kenedy
- 13 Aug 14:25 PL - HULL CITY 2-1 LEICESTER CITY - Full Time
- 13 Aug 13:45 PL - HULL CITY 2-1 LEICESTER CITY - Livescore
- 13 Aug 13:35 PL - HULL CITY 1-1 LEICESTER CITY - Livescore
- 13 Aug 13:17 PL - HULL CITY 1-0 LEICESTER CITY - Half Time
- 13 Aug 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Of course there's pressure on us. Big market spending is still vital, especially after Leicester"
- 13 Aug 11:38 PL - HULL CITY v LEICESTER CITY - Official Lineups
- 13 Aug 10:59 SUNDERLAND - David Moyes:"Januzaj needs to come and do the business"
- 13 Aug 10:00 LIVERPOOL, Klopp: "We'll fight for all competitions, everything is possible for us"
- 13 Aug 08:00 ARSENAL, Cech: "No matter how many times, I'm always excited before starting a season"
- 12 Aug 20:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Guardiola: "Stones is intelligent, and he's fit to play now. I want the boys to play soulfully"
- 12 Aug 19:31 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "I want to win the Premier League, Januzaj in my plans"
- 12 Aug 19:15 CHELSEA, Conte: "We have to think about the present to build a good future"
- 12 Aug 17:45 CHELSEA, Conte: "West Ham are a strong team, I am excited to start"
- 12 Aug 16:30 OFFICIAL - TADIC signed on a new contract by SOUTHAMPTON
- 12 Aug 16:01 LIVERPOOL - Mignolet: "I have to keep my head down and work hard"
Bayer Leverkusen announced having signed Austrian international centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic (25) from Dynamo Kyiv. Former FC Basel player joins German club on a deal lasting until June 2021.
#Bayer04 verpflichtet Aleksandar #Dragovic von Dynamo Kiew (25) f
Left Lazio as a free agent, after 5 seasons, French-Moroccan right-back and midfielder Abdoulay Konko (32) has officially joined Atalanta, o
Playing for FC Seville since 2013/14, therefore having lifted 3 Europa League trophies in a row as a Rojiblancos member, Argentinian centre-back&
Tottenham Hotspur creative midfielder Christen Eriksen has told the Mirror that new Spurs forward Vincent Janssen already has a good partnership with
Troyes announced having signed Malian Under-23 international striker Adama Niane (23) from Nantes, on a 2 season-long loan.
Bayer Leverkusen announced having signed Austrian international centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic (25) from Dynamo Kyiv. Former FC Basel player joi