LIVERPOOL, Allen: "It will click"
17.09.2012 09.58 by TM W
Joe Allen reflected on Liverpool's hard-fought 1-1 draw against Sunderland on Saturday and insisted the Reds demonstrated enough commitment and quality to win the game.
The Wales international was as diligent as ever in the centre of the park for the visitors, taking more touches than any other player on the field and playing more passes.
And the 22-year-old believes that if the side keep moving the ball about and fashioning goalscoring opportunities, they are heading in the right direction to pick up their first win of the Barclays Premier League campaign.
"It will click," he told the Liverpool Echo. "We don't want to start making excuses and putting too much down to luck but there's definitely an element of that at the moment, you can't deny it.
"It seems to take the opposition one chance to get a goal. We keep plugging away and do everything right and it hasn't quite clicked at times. I'm confident it will and we're really looking forward to it happening.
"Sunderland are a tough team to play against, they gave everything and made it as difficult as possible for us to get back into it.
"But having said that, there were enough chances for us to have won the game. We controlled the game and the biggest positive is the spirit we showed after going behind.
"Nine times out of 10, you show spirit and commitment like that and you won't go too far wrong.
"The ability and quality is there."
The midfielder also took time out to praise the support the team received from travelling Liverpool fans on Saturday after an emotional week in which the Hillsborough Independent Panel released its report.
The Reds fans were in full voice from first minute to last and Allen's main regret is that the players could not take all three points back to Merseyside as a fitting tribute to their unwavering support.
"We wanted to do it for the fans," he said. "We spoke about that before the game. It's been a tough week for everyone and it's unfortunate we couldn't give the fans the three points.
"They gave us fantastic support until the end and they kept us going. It's disappointing we only got a point.
"It was a soft goal for us to give away and it's always tough to chase the game, especially away from home."
Raheem Sterling was one of Liverpool's stand-out performers as the winger continued his fine start to the season in the Reds' first team.
And Allen insisted the whole side are pleased with his dedication to the cause.
"You forget how young Raheem is, given the way he plays," said Allen.
"It's fantastic for him, and to continue right up to the 90th minute at that level is very impressive.
"The whole team are very proud of him."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am staying here and I hope Rooney will do the same"
- 24 May 06:19 MAN. UTD, Moyes: "Happy that Ferdinand has extended"
- 23 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Suarez won't move"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 25 May 20:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Offer for Atsu submitted
- 25 May 19:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Kapino about to join
- 25 May 18:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Approaching Rakitic
- 25 May 17:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Trainer Baup extends for O.M.
- 25 May 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Swansea chairman denies contacts for Williams
- 25 May 15:00 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Attempt for Mangala ready
- 25 May 14:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Plan for Arshavin
- 25 May 13:00 ITALY/ INTER, New chances for having Silvestre stay
- 25 May 12:00 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Christodoulopoulos about to extend
- 25 May 11:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Back for Eliseu
- 25 May 11:00 ARSENAL & MAN. UNITED, Ignacio Camacho on target
- 25 May 10:27 ITALY/ CATANIA, Pablo Alvarez about to renew
- 25 May 09:57 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three suitors for Boateng
- 25 May 09:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Granada hire Brahimi back from Rennes
- 25 May 08:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ready to try if Rooney leaves United
- 25 May 08:30 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Abrashi extends for Grasshoppers
- 25 May 08:00 RUSSIA/ CSKA, Fernandes underwent surgery
- 25 May 07:27 PSG, Pastore: "I will remain"
- 25 May 06:57 LEVERKUSEN, Voeller: "Papastathopoulos will join Borussia, not us!"
- 25 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am staying here and I hope Rooney will do the same"
- 25 May 05:59 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We are working to keep Courtois"
- 25 May 00:00 LAZIO, Diakité's agent: "Terek, Napoli and Fiorentina after him"
- 24 May 23:37 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Dreaming Modesto
- 24 May 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Isla is Mazzarri's first target
- 24 May 22:59 FRANCE/ ST. ETIENNE, Clement about to extend
- 24 May 22:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Fossati the key for Poli
- 24 May 22:20 RUSSIA/ ANZHI, Roberto Carlos the next coach?
- 24 May 22:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Gabbiadini could come back
- 24 May 21:40 FRANCE/ NICE, Also Malaga after Cvitanich
- 24 May 21:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Tymoščuk towards Russia
- 24 May 20:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Medicals for Alonso
- 24 May 20:39 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rangers sign Daly
- 24 May 20:19 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Contacts with Allegri confirmed
- 24 May 20:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Fortuna sign Rensing
- 24 May 19:40 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Back for Vucinic
- 24 May 19:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Lucas
- 24 May 18:57 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Three players extend with Fenerbahçe
- 24 May 18:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mazzarri is Inter new coach
- 24 May 18:19 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hertha sign van den Bergh
- 24 May 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Interest for Ocampos
- 24 May 17:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Watmore
- 24 May 17:17 ITALY/ UDINESE, Two Russian clubs after Torje
- 24 May 16:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Osman extends with Everton
- 24 May 16:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Joaquim likely to join
- 24 May 16:19 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Offer for Fernando
- 24 May 16:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen sign Robbie Kruse
- 24 May 15:40 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fernandez extends with Granada
- 24 May 15:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Wiesinger renews with trainer Nurnberg
- 24 May 14:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Monaco sign Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 24 May 14:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Rensing joins Fortuna Dusseldorf
Long-time target for Tottenham management, Ghanaian international winger Christian Atsu (21) might become one more talented player leaving Porto during current summer transfer marekt session, following Joao Moutinho, James Rodriguez and, probably, Eliaquim Mangala....
Interviewed by Izvestia, Ulisse Savini, agent of 26 year old defender Modibo Diakité, whose contract with Lazio is about to expire,...
Atletico de Madrid coach Diego Pablo Simeone has declared about 21 year old Belgian midfielder Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan from Chelsea:...
Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has declared: "I think that there no possibilities for me to leave during the next transfer...
Interviewed by Bild, Bayer Leverkusen Sports Director Rudi Voller has declared about Werder Bremen 24 year old defender Sokratis...
PSG attacking midfielder Javier Pastore has declared: "Leaving PSG? No, I will stay at 100% even for the next season. The club's...