LIVERPOOL, Allen: "It will click"
17.09.2012 10.58 by TM W
Joe Allen reflected on Liverpool's hard-fought 1-1 draw against Sunderland on Saturday and insisted the Reds demonstrated enough commitment and quality to win the game.
The Wales international was as diligent as ever in the centre of the park for the visitors, taking more touches than any other player on the field and playing more passes.
And the 22-year-old believes that if the side keep moving the ball about and fashioning goalscoring opportunities, they are heading in the right direction to pick up their first win of the Barclays Premier League campaign.
"It will click," he told the Liverpool Echo. "We don't want to start making excuses and putting too much down to luck but there's definitely an element of that at the moment, you can't deny it.
"It seems to take the opposition one chance to get a goal. We keep plugging away and do everything right and it hasn't quite clicked at times. I'm confident it will and we're really looking forward to it happening.
"Sunderland are a tough team to play against, they gave everything and made it as difficult as possible for us to get back into it.
"But having said that, there were enough chances for us to have won the game. We controlled the game and the biggest positive is the spirit we showed after going behind.
"Nine times out of 10, you show spirit and commitment like that and you won't go too far wrong.
"The ability and quality is there."
The midfielder also took time out to praise the support the team received from travelling Liverpool fans on Saturday after an emotional week in which the Hillsborough Independent Panel released its report.
The Reds fans were in full voice from first minute to last and Allen's main regret is that the players could not take all three points back to Merseyside as a fitting tribute to their unwavering support.
"We wanted to do it for the fans," he said. "We spoke about that before the game. It's been a tough week for everyone and it's unfortunate we couldn't give the fans the three points.
"They gave us fantastic support until the end and they kept us going. It's disappointing we only got a point.
"It was a soft goal for us to give away and it's always tough to chase the game, especially away from home."
Raheem Sterling was one of Liverpool's stand-out performers as the winger continued his fine start to the season in the Reds' first team.
And Allen insisted the whole side are pleased with his dedication to the cause.
"You forget how young Raheem is, given the way he plays," said Allen.
"It's fantastic for him, and to continue right up to the 90th minute at that level is very impressive.
"The whole team are very proud of him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 29 Apr 15:01 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "With Anfield help, we can do it"
- 29 Apr 14:24 TOTTENHAM - Dembele: "We have to believe"
- 29 Apr 13:57 TOTTENHAM - Le Tissier: "Wouldn't be a surprise if Pochettino left"
- 29 Apr 13:31 ARSENAL - Wenger urges fans to get behind team
- 29 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Lippi can bring Jackson Martinez with him
- 29 Apr 12:51 ARSENAL - Wenger: "We work together closely"
- 29 Apr 12:46 WBA - Pulis: "Opportunity for the youngsters to play games"
- 29 Apr 12:26 CHELSEA - River set to bid for Falcao
- 29 Apr 12:12 EVERTON - Martinez in the brick of being sacked
- 29 Apr 12:01 ARSENAL - Eyes on Mkhitaryan
- 29 Apr 11:43 TOTTENHAM - Lead on Borja Baston
- 29 Apr 11:31 ARSENAL - Wenger: No big injury problems"
- 29 Apr 11:14 BORUSSIA DORTMUD - £80m budget
- 29 Apr 11:02 LEICESTER - Trophy in the city
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 10:42 SUNDERLAND , Borini: "Difficult a comeback to Italy"
- 29 Apr 10:21 VILLAREAL, Marcelino: "A bit closer to the Final"
- 29 Apr 10:09 FIORENTINA - Join the chase for Driussi
- 29 Apr 10:00 LIVERPOOL, Free Ings costs Reds 6.5M pounds
- 29 Apr 09:59 TOTTENHAM - Alli banned
- 29 Apr 09:46 LAZIO - Biglia to leave
- 29 Apr 09:30 WEST HAM - Bilic wants to stop Cresswell from leaving
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 29 Apr 09:15 WOLFSBURG - A Chinese suitor for Luiz Gustavo
- 29 Apr 09:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Back for Dragovic
- 29 Apr 08:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Benatia more and more likely to join
- 29 Apr 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "Several important clubs on him, but not it's time for the pitch"
- 29 Apr 08:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea call Piazon and Hector back
- 29 Apr 08:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, James Rodriguez's agent working on future away from Blancos: in talks with 2 top clubs
- 29 Apr 01:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, One more suitor for Sule
- 29 Apr 01:15 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Crecco on target
- 29 Apr 01:00 HOLLAND/ AJAX, El Ghazi wants Premier League: Liverpool probing waters
- 29 Apr 00:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 29 Apr 00:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Moving towards Parigini
- 29 Apr 00:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Bradley Dack
- 29 Apr 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Santon towards departure: 5 suitors for him
- 28 Apr 23:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina willing to hijack Budimir from Lazio
- 28 Apr 23:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Fritz renews for Werder one year longer
- 28 Apr 23:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cash amount ready for signing Rudiger
- 28 Apr 23:02 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Willing to use option for bringing Danny Da Costa back from Ingolstadt
- 28 Apr 22:49 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Van Aanholt
- 28 Apr 22:22 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shay Logan renews for Aberdeen
- 28 Apr 21:56 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA FC (FT)
- 28 Apr 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool Full-Time report
- 28 Apr 21:47 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA
- 28 Apr 21:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo, duel to Torino on Ferrari
- 28 Apr 21:15 BARCELONA - Target Lacazette
- 28 Apr 21:03 SPAIN/ LAS PALMAS, Roque Mesa's agent: "Fiorentina? Yes, they are interested. Several surveys from England, Germany and Italy"
- 28 Apr 20:57 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2- 1 SEVILLA (HT)
- 28 Apr 20:53 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 0-0 Liverpool Half-Time report
While Marcello Lippi becoming AC Milan new manager seems to be becoming more and more of a realistic solution, Colombian international striker Jackson Martinez (29), playing for Guangzhou Evergrande since last February, might be leaving China, at least on loan, and join
Fiorentina are reportedly keen on Sebastian Driussi, who currently plays for River Plate.
The 20-years-old striker has been targeted also by Inter
Cedric Bakambu told SkySport: "It has been a great night, which will remain in history. Now we have to play a brave second leg to get the final.
Mousa Dembele told skysports that the Tottenham team must still have belief that they can win the Premier League title.
"We have to belie
Rennes managed a late goal to draw the game at home to Monaco.
RENNES 1 - 1 MONACO
Sio 81' Costa 14
Borussia Dortmund are reportedly expected to have a budget of over £100m to spend this summer, according to Bild.
Given that M