ARSENAL, Wenger: "They had problems coping with our pace"
17.09.2012 14.55 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Arsène Wenger believes his side's speed of movement made the difference in Saturday's win over Southampton at Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal hit the visitors for six in a stunning display which included three goals in just seven first-half minutes.
Wenger's decision to deploy Gervinho in a central role paid dividends as the Ivory Coast international hit a brace - and the manager was delighted with what he saw.
"We played at a high pace with our passing and with a high pace with our movement," Wenger told Arsenal Player. "We just played at a level above Southampton I think, especially in the first half.
"They had problems to cope with the overall speed that we showed. The team grows on the continuity of the Liverpool game and we could repeat the same quality of the performance. You could feel there was a team energy in there that shows we play for each other. There are no big egos and that is good.
"I don't know [if it is more fluid up front], we have to wait a little bit because we have only played four games now. What we see is interesting because there is a positive energy in the team and you feel there is potential in there.
“We now have big games coming up and they will tell us more about our team. But there is something in there that is interesting to develop."
Arsenal face a true test of their mettle over the coming weeks with fixtures against Montpellier, Manchester City and Chelsea just around the corner. But Wenger is confident his side are only just getting started.
"I think so," said the Frenchman. "There is more to come certainly. Let's not forget that some players have only played four games and here we did not have Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Frimpong and other players coming back. It will be interesting if we find a good balance and develop the game we have.
"The next month will not be decisive of course but it will be crucial because we now go to Montpellier in the Champions League and after we play Manchester City away from home - that will be another big test for us.
“Then we play Chelsea at home so the next two weeks will tell us much more about our team. I am confident because the spirit and attitude is spot on."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 02 Jan 19:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Gerrard's farewell: "An immense player, an incomparable leader and man. The word legend doesn't do him justice"
- 02 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I love this club"
- 01 Jan 07:00 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "The transfer market? We won't be busy"
- 31 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "It was tough to watch"
- 31 Dec 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "I want to keep Shelvey"
- 30 Dec 12:21 ARSENAL, Gibbs: "I want to become a great player"
- 30 Dec 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Stambouli: "No regrets about coming here"
- 29 Dec 15:44 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We defended with spirit"
- 29 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 28 Dec 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 26 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL v QPR - Boxing Day Preview - Giroud: "Happy to hear headers aren't my best quality"
- 25 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger: "Balance in rotation is very hard to find"
- 25 Dec 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? You never know.."
- 24 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Szczesny: "Austin could be a role model for young English players"
- 24 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Mertesacker: "He had a difficult start, but he's got sharper"
- 24 Dec 06:59 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "No enquiries for Berahino"
- 23 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger on team news: "Rosicky and Sanogo will be certainly back"
- 23 Dec 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I like Morrison"
- 22 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm not pleased by our performance, but we take a good point achieved at Liverpool"
- 22 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Flamini after 2-2 at Liverpool: "We'll improve as we recover injured players"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 27 Jan 06:39 BAYERN, Schweinsteiger: "No pressure about the renewal"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 27 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "His future? We'll see"
- 26 Jan 23:37 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Eyes on Prezioso
- 26 Jan 23:17 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Pune sign Edgar Marcelino
- 26 Jan 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ocampos to replace Cuadrado
- 26 Jan 22:39 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Kafkas quits Karabukspor
- 26 Jan 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Kuyt
- 26 Jan 22:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Alcacer about to renew
- 26 Jan 21:37 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cassano quits Parma
- 26 Jan 21:17 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Jonas about to sign
- 26 Jan 20:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Brozovic joins Inter
- 26 Jan 20:39 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Dinamo sign Onwu
- 26 Jan 20:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Pazienza
- 26 Jan 20:00 SLOVENIA/ OFFICIAL, Celje sign Kubo
- 26 Jan 19:45 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Idea El Hamdaoui
- 26 Jan 19:30 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Legia sign Taiwo
- 26 Jan 19:15 ITALY/ ROMA, Done for Pepin
- 26 Jan 19:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Keen on Bertrand
- 26 Jan 18:50 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Everton and Aston Villa interested in Rolando
- 26 Jan 18:40 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lille, Adama Traoré extends until 2019
- 26 Jan 18:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leyton Orient, Milanese quits
- 26 Jan 18:12 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: fracture at the base of his fifth metatarsal bone
- 26 Jan 18:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Newcastle: Caver signs until the end of season
- 26 Jan 17:52 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton, Hooiveld on loan to Millwall
- 26 Jan 17:40 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Criscito: "I don't know if I'll extend"
- 26 Jan 17:30 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Keen on Sertic
- 26 Jan 17:28 PHOTO NEWS - Inter: Brozovic sign
- 26 Jan 17:15 ARSENAL & AS MONACO, Duel to United on Adil Rami
- 26 Jan 17:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Xhaka more and more likely to renew
- 26 Jan 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Perrin eager to join
- 26 Jan 16:36 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Marrone getting nearer
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 16:27 ENGLAND/ WBA, Cash offer for McManaman ready
- 26 Jan 16:18 ITALY/ AC MILAN, An old new suitor for Pazzini
- 26 Jan 16:09 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Offer for Clyne submitted to Saints
- 26 Jan 16:00 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "On with the project, growth on and off the field"
- 26 Jan 15:52 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Tracking Berbatov
- 26 Jan 15:41 AC MILAN, Menez: "The players are always with Inzaghi"
- 26 Jan 15:33 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Bogdan on target
- 26 Jan 15:24 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Weighing up Guerrero's return attempt
- 26 Jan 15:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Red Devils challenged on the chance to sign Dani Alves
- 26 Jan 15:06 UAE/ AL-AHLI, Lead over AC Milan and AS Monaco on Everton Ribeiro
- 26 Jan 14:57 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, From UK: almost done for Pienaar
- 26 Jan 14:48 ASTON VILLA & TOTTENHAM, Duel on young goalie Garratt
- 26 Jan 14:39 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Chantome more and more likely to join
- 26 Jan 14:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY: Joining Arsenal, United and Chelsea in the race for Busquets
- 26 Jan 14:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio survey Denis
- 26 Jan 14:12 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes watches Barca B duo
Currently on a deal with AC Milan until June 2017, former French international centre-back Adil Rami (28), who has just stated he'd like to end his own professional career playing for Rossoneri, has been targeted by both Arsenal and AS Monaco, according to latest rumours comi
Interviewed by LaLazioSiamoNoi, Antonio Caliendo, agent of Lazio midfielder Ederson, has declared: "He is ready to play for Lazio, in the next da
Barcelona star Neymar says he understands Cristiano Ronaldo's frustration boiling over after he was shown a red card during Real Madrid's 2-1
Interviewed by Footmercato.net, Dirk De Vriese, agent of Manchester United midfielder Adnan Januzaj, has declared: "PSG have shown themselves to
PSG 25-year-old forward Javier Pastore has declared: "Do I want to sign a contract extension with PSG? I am in love with France and with PSG, and
Interviewed by Sport1, Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has declared: "I know what Bayern means for me and the club knows what I h