ARSENAL, Wenger: "They had problems coping with our pace"
17.09.2012 14.55 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Arsène Wenger believes his side's speed of movement made the difference in Saturday's win over Southampton at Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal hit the visitors for six in a stunning display which included three goals in just seven first-half minutes.
Wenger's decision to deploy Gervinho in a central role paid dividends as the Ivory Coast international hit a brace - and the manager was delighted with what he saw.
"We played at a high pace with our passing and with a high pace with our movement," Wenger told Arsenal Player. "We just played at a level above Southampton I think, especially in the first half.
"They had problems to cope with the overall speed that we showed. The team grows on the continuity of the Liverpool game and we could repeat the same quality of the performance. You could feel there was a team energy in there that shows we play for each other. There are no big egos and that is good.
"I don't know [if it is more fluid up front], we have to wait a little bit because we have only played four games now. What we see is interesting because there is a positive energy in the team and you feel there is potential in there.
“We now have big games coming up and they will tell us more about our team. But there is something in there that is interesting to develop."
Arsenal face a true test of their mettle over the coming weeks with fixtures against Montpellier, Manchester City and Chelsea just around the corner. But Wenger is confident his side are only just getting started.
"I think so," said the Frenchman. "There is more to come certainly. Let's not forget that some players have only played four games and here we did not have Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Frimpong and other players coming back. It will be interesting if we find a good balance and develop the game we have.
"The next month will not be decisive of course but it will be crucial because we now go to Montpellier in the Champions League and after we play Manchester City away from home - that will be another big test for us.
“Then we play Chelsea at home so the next two weeks will tell us much more about our team. I am confident because the spirit and attitude is spot on."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tourť's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "PrŲdl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, Itís 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 07 Feb 12:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "If you love football, you love Rosicky"
- 07 Feb 06:59 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "A bit frustrated about the transfer market"
- 06 Feb 18:43 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "There will be a special atmosphere. We'll have to be cautious defense-wise"
- 06 Feb 16:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Welbeck is back. Bielik? He's coming very well"
- 06 Feb 15:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Koscielny: "Bellerin and Coquelin will help us a lot, they are ready"
- 06 Feb 06:19 LEICESTER, Pearson: "Quite happy with the transfer market"
- 05 Feb 20:30 BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL, Possible new smoke-related crisis for Wilshere
- 05 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "There's a great goalkeeping tradition in Colombia. I've been always dreaming of Premier League"
- 05 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Sanchez injured: no city derby against Tottenham for Chilean star
- 05 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Happy that I didn't join West Ham"
- 04 Feb 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Leaving is the best solution"
- 03 Feb 17:39 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Gilberto is a mirror for me"
- 03 Feb 11:09 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Iím going to be part of such a big club"
- 02 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Drogba: "I will play here in the next season"
- 02 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Tourť: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "Itís a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 27 Feb 12:28 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 50 millions for 5 targets
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 27 Feb 12:00 FRANCE/ O.M., Guidetti on target
- 27 Feb 11:45 INTER, Ranocchia after EL victory over Celtic: "We took some risks, but great performance"
- 27 Feb 11:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Not giving up on Tolgay Arslan
- 27 Feb 11:13 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Gaya extends
- 27 Feb 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Majestic offer for Ljajic ready
- 27 Feb 10:58 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Also Chelsea working for Clyne
- 27 Feb 10:45 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's future is safe
- 27 Feb 10:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Van Persie out one month
- 27 Feb 09:57 GERMANY/ FC KOLN, Survey on Grosicki
- 27 Feb 09:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Veteran goalie Colombo possibly renewing
- 27 Feb 08:59 SPAIN/ GETAFE, Pantic in pole for replacing Sanchez Flores
- 27 Feb 08:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Medicals for Natali
- 27 Feb 08:15 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Sydorchuk renews with Dynamo
- 27 Feb 08:00 ITALY/ INTER, Felipe has signed
- 27 Feb 07:40 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Meeting for Gerson?
- 27 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Basanta injured
- 27 Feb 06:57 PSG, Lavezzi's agent: "Inter? It's up to him"
- 27 Feb 06:39 SCHALKE, Di Matteo: "Khedira? Our doors are open"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 27 Feb 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Milan? I am ready"
- 26 Feb 20:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Aubameyang: duel against Inter
- 26 Feb 19:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester city loan out Liam Moore
- 26 Feb 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Keen on Abdennour
- 26 Feb 19:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Eto'o might be already leaving Sampdoria in June
- 26 Feb 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Motta joins Watford
- 26 Feb 18:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores resigns from Getafe
- 26 Feb 18:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Busquets renews for Barcelona FC
- 26 Feb 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Gutierrez set for return after winning cancer battle
- 26 Feb 18:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Sherwood says he needs more time
- 26 Feb 17:42 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Glenn Staying put
- 26 Feb 17:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Heldt's move for blazing out Arsenal and Dortmund on Khedira
- 26 Feb 17:15 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, Willing to sign Oviedo
- 26 Feb 16:57 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Keylor Navas on target
- 26 Feb 16:34 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Piszczek the first name if Dani Alves leaves
- 26 Feb 16:18 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro: "Marseille? I don't think so"
- 26 Feb 15:58 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Granada: Fran Rico extends until 2020
- 26 Feb 15:42 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Thinking about Yann M'Vila
- 26 Feb 15:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Pastore could extend his deal
- 26 Feb 15:14 ITALY/ INTER, Aubameyang's agent: Appreciated by Ausilio"
- 26 Feb 15:02 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D, Scout observing Meunier
- 26 Feb 14:44 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man Utd to tie down Blackett
- 26 Feb 13:42 INDONESIA/ OFFICIAL, Kader Keita joins Persib Bandung
- 26 Feb 12:41 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Chongqing Lifan sign Gigliotti
- 26 Feb 11:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham: Noble signs extended deal
- 26 Feb 10:43 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, disastrous display against Monaco
- 26 Feb 10:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING L., Nani seeks United Return
- 26 Feb 10:05 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Blackett renewal is close
- 26 Feb 09:02 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Renewal negotiations for Zambrano reopened
Commenting upon Liverpool's defeat suffered from Besiktas and subsequent Europa League putout, Reds manager Brendan Rodgers stated: "We're disappointed, of course, to go out in the manner that we did. We created opportunities in the first half, to make it really diff
After having striken Celtic Glasgow out and having reached Europa League eight finals, Inter centre-back and captain Andrea Ranocchia commented: "
Interviewed by Futbolred, Sevilla forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Leaving Sevilla? These are just rumors, I am very happy here, and I want to
Commenting upon Liverpool's defeat suffered from Besiktas and subsequent Europa League putout, Reds manager Brendan Rodgers stated: "We'r
Interviewed by FcInterNews.it, Alejandro Mazzoni, agent of PSG forward Ezequiel Lavezzi, has declared: "He has a contract with PSG until 2016. Yo
Schalke 04 coach Roberto Di Matteo has declared about the possibility to sign Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira: "We all know that he is a grea