ARSENAL, Wenger: "They had problems coping with our pace"
17.09.2012 13.55 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Arsène Wenger believes his side's speed of movement made the difference in Saturday's win over Southampton at Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal hit the visitors for six in a stunning display which included three goals in just seven first-half minutes.
Wenger's decision to deploy Gervinho in a central role paid dividends as the Ivory Coast international hit a brace - and the manager was delighted with what he saw.
"We played at a high pace with our passing and with a high pace with our movement," Wenger told Arsenal Player. "We just played at a level above Southampton I think, especially in the first half.
"They had problems to cope with the overall speed that we showed. The team grows on the continuity of the Liverpool game and we could repeat the same quality of the performance. You could feel there was a team energy in there that shows we play for each other. There are no big egos and that is good.
"I don't know [if it is more fluid up front], we have to wait a little bit because we have only played four games now. What we see is interesting because there is a positive energy in the team and you feel there is potential in there.
“We now have big games coming up and they will tell us more about our team. But there is something in there that is interesting to develop."
Arsenal face a true test of their mettle over the coming weeks with fixtures against Montpellier, Manchester City and Chelsea just around the corner. But Wenger is confident his side are only just getting started.
"I think so," said the Frenchman. "There is more to come certainly. Let's not forget that some players have only played four games and here we did not have Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Frimpong and other players coming back. It will be interesting if we find a good balance and develop the game we have.
"The next month will not be decisive of course but it will be crucial because we now go to Montpellier in the Champions League and after we play Manchester City away from home - that will be another big test for us.
“Then we play Chelsea at home so the next two weeks will tell us much more about our team. I am confident because the spirit and attitude is spot on."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 05 May 09:34 ATLETICO MADRID - Balague: "Simeone? Atletico fits him like a glove"
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 05 May 09:07 MANCHESTER CITY - Zabaleta's agent: "We could see him in Italy shortly"
- 05 May 08:55 LAZIO, De Vrij hits pitch back after 9 months long injury
- 05 May 08:42 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Back tracking Corluka
- 05 May 08:30 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Success' agent: "Contacts with top clubs, but he'll join Watford"
- 05 May 08:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nainggolan doubtful whether to join or stay at AS Roma
- 05 May 08:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, A new Premier League suitor for possibly returning Borja Bastón
- 05 May 07:44 ITALY/ NAPOLI, El Kaddouri between Atalanta and a return to Torino
- 05 May 07:29 LEVANTE, Veteran captain Juanfran announces quitting
- 04 May 21:39 REAL MADRID beat MAN CITY 1-0 and are in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE final!
- 04 May 20:33 HT- Real Madrid v Man City 1-0
- 04 May 20:13 LIVE! Real Madrid v Man City 1-0: Bale scores at 20', Kompany out
- 04 May 19:10 UCL/Real Madrid - Man City OFFICIAL LINE UPS: Ronaldo starts
- 04 May 19:07 BARCELONA interested in Serie A full backs Digne and Hysai
- 04 May 18:25 LEICESTER keen on Roma's defender Manolas
- 04 May 18:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Test period for a Belgian midfielder
- 04 May 17:45 SPAIN/ DEPORTIVO, Survey on Borja Valle
- 04 May 17:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Higuain available to join. Just as a regular starter
- 04 May 17:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Suggestion for Adrián Ramos
- 04 May 16:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Evra will decide whether to renew or not in 10 days
- 04 May 16:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Survey on Broh
- 04 May 16:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Ruben Vezo
- 04 May 16:00 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Target Zaza
- 04 May 15:45 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Chinese offer for Jonas
- 04 May 15:30 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Approaching Kalou
- 04 May 15:15 GERMANY/ AUGSBURG, Daniel Gordon on the wishlist
- 04 May 15:00 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Ranieri wants Boufal if Mahrez leaves
- 04 May 14:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Eyes on Tiemoué Bakayoko
- 04 May 14:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Suggestion for Asamoah
- 04 May 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho wants Isco
- 04 May 14:01 SWITZERLAND/ GRASSHOPPERS, 3 German rivals towards Khelifi
- 04 May 13:48 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Volland on target
- 04 May 13:36 BARCELONA - Piqué: "I hope Inter and Milan come back soon"
- 04 May 13:21 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pasqual to renew: no proposal yet
- 04 May 13:08 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Willing to hijack Mkhitaryan from Arsenal
- 04 May 12:56 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Ibisevic willing to stay despite Lazio's interest
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 12:20 DUNDEE - Paatelainen to leave after relegation
- 04 May 12:06 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pereyra could be the key for double move from Valencia
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 11:38 LAZIO - To move for Ben Arfa
- 04 May 11:21 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson's sister-agent: "He won't be moving next summer"
- 04 May 11:12 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Joining transfer battle over Kanté
- 04 May 11:01 HELLAS VERONA, Luca Toni announces quitting
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 10:31 NAPOLI - Hamsik: "I can't even imagine what would happen"
- 04 May 10:14 LAZIO - Pioli: "Happy for Claudio"
- 04 May 10:06 EXCLUSIVE TMW - A Serie A suitor for Botafogo frontline talent Luis Henrique
As reported in Italian media, 24 years old Dutch international centre-back Stefan de Vrij, idle since September 2015, due to a left knee injury (involving lateral femoral condyle micro-fractures, surgically resolved through lateral selective meniscectomy), has hit
As reported in Italian media, 24 years old Dutch international centre-back Stefan de Vrij, idle since September 2015, due to a left knee injury (
Playing for Levante since the second half of 2009/10, after having already been a youth area member for Granotes in the 90's, 1976-born centre-bac
Watford have reportedly beaten Atletico Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain in the chase for Granada starlet Isaac Succ
Liverpool have reportedly eyed Javier Pastore in action for Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, according to France Football.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang speaking about his future: “I am focused on finishing the season with my team. We do not know what can