REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
- 13 Oct 11:47 OFFICIAL - ATHLETIC BILBAO, Markel Susaeta extends until 2019
- 12 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 12 Oct 07:30 REAL MADRID, Casemiro: "I'll never join Barcelona"
- 11 Oct 18:37 Former Real Madrid star Michel SALGADO makes an offer for purchasing CELTA VIGO
- 11 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 10 Oct 21:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsalijko: "I would like to play, but I don't think to leave"
- 10 Oct 18:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsaljko aims to prove his worth to Simeone
- 10 Oct 17:14 REAL MADRID - Sergio Ramos will stop 10 days
- 08 Oct 22:51 REAL BETIS, Adán: "European top teams keen on me, but I love this club"
- 08 Oct 09:08 BARCELONA - Jordi Alba will stop for ten days
- 07 Oct 22:04 BARCELONA - Rakitic: "I don't play a lot, I don't what to say, I just work hard"
- 07 Oct 14:56 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi after new contract: "I'm happy and proud"
- 07 Oct 10:14 ARSENAL , Hleb: "Wenger like a father, he trusted me"
- 04 Oct 16:14 ATLETICO MADRID - Gabi set to sign contract extension
- 04 Oct 13:59 CROATIA - Rakitic stays in BARCELONA for an Achille's tendon injury
- 03 Oct 23:04 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo: "My son got only one idol: his dad"
- 03 Oct 19:18 VALENCIA v ATLETICO MADRID - Scouts from 9 clubs at Mestalla yesterday
- 03 Oct 16:32 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There is no crisis, but we got some problems"
- 03 Oct 11:52 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We can't carry on like this"
- 03 Oct 08:31 BARCELONA, Enrique: "I am the one responsible for this defeat"
- 01 Oct 19:27 REAL MADRID - Medical report on MODRIC
- 29 Sep 15:48 VALENCIA - Half fans not thrilled with PRANDELLI, according to poll
- 29 Sep 09:49 SEVILLE, Balague: “Wonderful seeing Nasri enjoying his football again”
- 28 Sep 12:47 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE: Iborra extends until 2020
- 27 Sep 14:44 VALENCIA - 5 names for managing position
- 27 Sep 11:49 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "Simeone told me he wanted another striker"
- 27 Sep 10:33 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann praises his manager Simeone
- 26 Sep 22:28 BARCELONA - Pique could be tempted by a move to the MLS
- 26 Sep 16:15 BARCELONA FC - 20 players called up for CL clash against 'Gladbach
- 25 Sep 21:29 ATLETICO MADRID - Augusto will undergo surgery, out seven months
- 25 Sep 13:46 Liga/ LEGANES v VALENCIA 1-2 FT
- 24 Sep 21:42 LIGA/ USD LAS PALMAS 2 VS 2 REAL MADRID
- 24 Sep 20:57 MALAGA, Al-Thani: "I fully trust Juande RAMOS"
- 24 Sep 11:32 REAL MADRID - Marcelo misses LAS PALMAS clash due to calf strain
- 23 Sep 13:06 Zidane : "Barcelona will miss Messi"
- 23 Sep 09:03 SPORTING GIJON - Douglas Pereira gets injured resting on the team bus
- 22 Sep 22:32 LIGA/ La Liga Results FT
- 22 Sep 12:03 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "We deserved to win with ATLETICO"
- 22 Sep 09:22 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "We did enough to win the game"
- 22 Sep 08:31 ATLETICO, Simeone: "In the second half we played the game we wanted"
- 20 Sep 17:22 BARCA-Umtiti out of Atletico clash
- 20 Sep 17:13 Luis Enrique-"Barca have to beat Atleti to win La Liga"
- 18 Sep 20:47 Liga/ Espanyol 0 vs 1 Real Madrid HT
- 18 Sep 19:46 Liga/Espanyol vs Real Madrid; starting line up
- 18 Sep 13:03 LIGA/ OSASUNA 0-0 CELTA VIGO - FT
- 18 Sep 11:17 VALENCIA - Garay injured, out 2-3 weeks
- 17 Sep 20:35 Diego Simeone : Griezmann deserves Balon D'or
- 17 Sep 17:00 LIGA BBVA/ ATLETICO MADRID 5-0 SPORTING GIJON - FT
- 17 Sep 14:51 LIGA - LLEGANES 1-5 BARCELONA - Full Time
- 17 Sep 09:59 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "I am here because I want to be here"
- 16 Sep 16:30 OFFICIAL - Young goalie Domenech extends for VALENCIA
- 16 Sep 12:16 BARCELONA - Umtiti: "I like to play against Messi, Neymar and Suarez in training"
- 15 Sep 12:00 BARCELONA -Neymar transfer to Blaugrana investigated
- 14 Sep 16:23 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Granada target Kevin-Prince BOATENG
- 13 Sep 16:15 OFFICIAL - Roberto ROSALES extends for MALAGA
- 12 Sep 15:45 OFFICIAL - Alvarez and Yesga signed on first pro contract by ATHLETIC BILBAO
- 11 Sep 14:29 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I should be offered a ten-year deal"
- 09 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos celebrates 11 Blancos years: "My presentation jersey is still with me, at home"
- 08 Sep 16:30 BARCELONA FC, Alcacer's first conference: "Improving will be easier, due to such champions being here"
- 08 Sep 14:15 REAL MADRID, CR7: "I'm fine"
- 08 Sep 08:05 VALENCIA, Munir: "We will achieve qualification to Champions League"
- 07 Sep 19:45 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We are aiming to Liga. Wales? We want to keep on making history"
- 07 Sep 16:15 REAL BETIS - Veteran RUBEN CASTRO about to extend
- 07 Sep 15:15 BARCELONA FC - MESSI back training with squad
- 06 Sep 20:13 CELTA VIGO star Orellana out for 4 weeks
- 06 Sep 19:31 SEVILLE signing Nasri could miss next game
- 06 Sep 15:00 REAL MADRID - Figo: "Ronaldo could join Barcelona"
- 06 Sep 14:47 BARCELONA - Arroyo: "Being in the United States will help to obtain new sources"
- 06 Sep 13:33 SEVILLA - President Castro about Navas: "This year no interest or negotiation"
- 06 Sep 10:49 REAL MADRID not sure on extending Pepe's deal: it expires in June 2017
- 05 Sep 21:29 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I am pleased Mahrez decided to stay at Leicester"
- 05 Sep 19:04 VALENCIA - Nani: "I wanted to play in La Liga: a big chance for me"
- 05 Sep 09:19 BARCELONA star Alba believes Alcacer is a 'great signing'
- 04 Sep 15:50 REAL MADRID stas Bale and Kroos offered a new contract
- 03 Sep 18:31 MALAGA star Camacho happy to stay despite WEST BROM interest
- 03 Sep 12:30 GRANADA - Angulo fails doping test after a game played on 20 July with former team
- 02 Sep 16:03 REAL MADRID - No serious injury for MORATA, he will stay with SPAIN
- 01 Sep 19:39 OFFICIAL - Diego REYES joins ESPANYOL
- 31 Aug 14:40 OFFICIAL - GRANADA sign Israeli winger ATZILI
- 30 Aug 23:41 OFFICIAL - KRAVETS joins GRANADA
- 30 Aug 20:46 OFFICIAL - Borja VIGUERA joins Sporting GIJON
- 28 Aug 09:30 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We must work hard to look what we're looking for"
- 26 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - Barça loan DOUGLAS to Sporting Gijón
- 25 Aug 18:15 David LOPEZ about to join ESPANYOL back: numbers on the trade
- 24 Aug 14:16 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I'll never forget this year"
- 22 Aug 21:00 OFFICIAL - Nicolas Pareja extends for SEVILLE
- 19 Aug 07:36 OFFICIAL - SPORTING GIJON extend Abelardo Fernandez's deal until 2020
- 17 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - GRANADA loan Leganés Venezuelan striker Machís
- 23 Oct 22:21 Liga/ REAL MADRID v ATHLETIC BILBAO 2-1
- 23 Oct 21:54 Serie A/ ROMA v PALERMO 4-1 FT
- 23 Oct 21:25 CHELSEA - Conte: "Great respect for everyone, nothing happened with Jose”
- 23 Oct 20:53 PL/ MAN UNITED, Mata: "Painful result, we must learn from our mistakes"
- 23 Oct 20:22 MAN UNITED boss Mourinho mad at Conte for crazy celebration after 4-0
- 23 Oct 19:42 CHELSEA, Conte: "We did not concede anything"
- 23 Oct 19:23 MAN UNITED, Mourinho: "This game started 1-0"
- 23 Oct 18:53 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "An interesting point with good spirit"
- 23 Oct 18:28 MAN CITY, Guardiola: "Stones was not the reason"
- 23 Oct 18:16 PL/ CHELSEA 4-0 MANCHESTER UNITED - FT
- 23 Oct 17:01 LIGA BBVA/ SEVILLE 1-0 ATLETICO MADRID - FT
- 23 Oct 16:49 PL/ CHELSEA 2-0 MANCHESTER UNITED - HT
- 23 Oct 16:13 CHELSEA youngster Chalobah to pen new deal
- 23 Oct 15:55 SERIE A / Full Time scores Matchday 9
- 23 Oct 15:29 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY 1-1 SOUTHAMPTON - FT
- 23 Oct 15:26 NAPOLI considering Ighalo move in January
- 23 Oct 15:04 PL/ CHELSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED - Official Line Ups
- 23 Oct 14:47 SERIE A / Half Time scores Matchday 9
- 23 Oct 14:41 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Conte put in a new regime"
- 23 Oct 14:16 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY 0-1 SOUTHAMPTON - HT
- 23 Oct 14:13 LIVERPOOL - Insigne's agent keen to enter talks with Reds
- 23 Oct 13:50 MAN CITY - "No truth about Alaba" says Rummenigge
- 23 Oct 13:23 BAYERN MUNICH set to bid £65m for EVERTON star Lukaku
- 23 Oct 12:56 JUVENTUS star Dybala to stay out 10-15 days after thigh injury
- 23 Oct 12:32 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY v SOUTHAMPTON - Official Line Ups
- 23 Oct 12:02 WEST HAM - Bilic: "Dramatic end, our goal is not offide"
- 23 Oct 11:30 JUVENTUS - Allegri: "This incident doesn't have to influence our season
- 23 Oct 11:03 LIVERPOOL - Henderson: "It's too early to speak about the title race"
- 23 Oct 10:35 INTER - New owners to appoint Blanc if De Boer is sacked
- 23 Oct 10:04 BARCELONA - Iniesta injury update: it's the collateral ligament
- 23 Oct 09:32 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "I'm not a better manager after last bad months at CHELSEA"
- 23 Oct 09:01 MAN UNITED captain Rooney dropped for CHELSEA clash for injury
- 23 Oct 08:34 CHELSEA star Courtois admits to be grateful to Mourinho
- 23 Oct 00:03 ARSENAL target Fiorentina young goalie SATALINO
- 22 Oct 23:34 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - CICCONE sign new contract for VADUZ
- 22 Oct 23:10 CHELSEA ready to try signing KEANE from Burnley
- 22 Oct 22:23 BOLTON WANDERERS weigh up signing ODEMWINGIE
- 22 Oct 21:51 LIGUE 1/ Full Time scores Matchday 10
- 22 Oct 21:43 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - ST. GALLEN sign ARATORE on new contract
- 22 Oct 21:40 SERIE A / MILAN 1-0 JUVENTUS - FT
- 22 Oct 21:02 ARSENAL, Lucas Perez: "I don't think OZIL will leave for Real Madrid"
- 22 Oct 20:41 SERIE A / MILAN 0-0 JUVENTUS - HT
- 22 Oct 20:25 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA 2-3 BARCELONA - FT
- 22 Oct 20:20 BAYERN MUNICH offer ROBBEN a new contract
- 22 Oct 19:49 BUNDESLIGA/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 8
- 22 Oct 19:48 MILAN v JUVENTUS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 19:41 EVERTON back for GABBIADINI in January
- 22 Oct 19:21 SERIE A / SAMPDORIA 2-1 GENOA - FT
- 22 Oct 19:09 INTER MILAN willing to try KOMPANY winter hit
- 22 Oct 18:36 FIORENTINA back for SAPONARA
Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois believes that new manager Antonio Conte brought in a ‘new regime’ to change the attitude of his squad following the last disappointing season at Stamford Bridge.
“Different managers have different w
According to Italian sources Inter new owners Suning already got in mind the name for the new manager in case Frank de Boer would be sacked after othe
Currently on a deal with Las Palmas until June 2020, Spanish midfielder Vicente Gomez (28), according to Mundo Deportivo, has been targeted by Valenci
According to French media, Olympique Marseille top brass, after having signed Rudi Garcia as their new manager, have targeted 3 names for the mar
FC Köln announced having extended their deal with Japanese winger/forward Yuya Osako (26) until June 2020. Former Munich 1860 and Kashi