REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ramos? We'll see"
- 27 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I'm sure Ramos will stay"
- 25 Jul 12:30 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "I am sure that Sergio Ramos will stay"
- 24 Jul 09:30 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "This year he will stay"
- 23 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Who wants Adriano must pay his clause"
- 22 Jul 06:29 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I would like Pedro to stay"
- 17 Jul 06:30 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Turan could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We have been after Immobile for a long time"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Piccini: "Happy to be here"
- 09 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Macia: "We are interested in Pazzini"
- 08 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My situation is delicate"
- 07 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "This year Pogba won't join us"
- 06 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "Honored by Fiorentina's interest"
- 01 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "i have no intention to leave"
- 30 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am about to join Atletico"
- 26 Jun 07:27 OM, Labrune: "We want to sell Imbula"
- 26 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 25 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We like Rami, but"
- 24 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 23 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Roig: "We have signed Leo Baptistao"
- 22 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "Atletico have paid Vietto's clause"
- 21 Jun 09:30 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Contacts with Tevez, but he wants to join Boca"
- 20 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Otamendi: "The club knows what I want"
- 19 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Ochoa: "My agent is looking for a new club"
- 18 Jun 09:15 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Only Koke and Godin are unsellable"
- 17 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "Piccini will move back to Fiorentina"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Mandzukic's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 15 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Coentrao: "One day I will join Benfica.."
- 14 Jun 06:30 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Inter agreable destination"
- 13 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We are about to sign Kakuta"
- 12 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Only God knows if I'll stay"
- 09 Jun 18:06 BARCELONA FC, Bartomeu: "We've closed the deal for Luis Enrique to remain"
- 09 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Ollero: "We are in advanced talks with van der Vaart"
- 08 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca's agente: "Many clubs after him"
- 07 Jun 09:30 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I have an offer from Italy"
- 06 Jun 08:29 SEVILLA, Emery: "Happy to stay"
- 05 Jun 16:48 Photos from Berlin about Juventus-Barcellona
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "I'm happy here"
- 04 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder's agent: "He wants to join Inter"
- 03 Jun 16:15 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "It is an emotional day because I've returned home"
- 03 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery has an offer from Napoli"
- 02 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery could renew"
- 01 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I would like to dip into the Premier League market"
- 31 May 08:59 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "If Atletico will pay my release clause..."
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I would like to stay"
- 29 May 01:59 BARCELONA, Mascherano:" I wouldn't trade places with Messi"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "My future? I am learning English"
- 27 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "If Otamendi wants to leave..."
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Mi future? In two weeks"
- 25 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, CR7, I hope Ancelotti will stay
- 24 May 06:59 ATLETICO, Torres: "I want to end my career here"
- 23 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Happy if De Gea joins us"
- 22 May 15:15 ATHLETIC BILBAO/ OFFICIAL, Manager Valverde renews
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 21 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We haven't talked about Higuain"
- 20 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery is happy here"
- 19 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "It's not the moment to talk about Ancelotti's future"
- 18 May 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "Martínez won't join Liverpool"
- 17 May 09:00 RAYO, Jemez: "I don't think I'll stay"
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "Some important players could leave"
- 15 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "He will be the one deciding his future"
- 14 May 09:30 REAL MADRID, Bale promises Madrid will 'come back stronger'
- 14 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I'm happy here, but.."
- 13 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Gayà: "I hope to stay for many years"
- 12 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "It's nonsense to talk about my future"
- 11 May 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't know anything about Porto"
- 10 May 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I'm not going anywhere"
- 09 May 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No agreement with Atletico"
- 08 May 13:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes possibly departing after just one season 2 Premier League suitors
- 08 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "Why should he leave?"
- 07 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 06 May 13:24 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, First convocation for Vermaelen
- 06 May 12:36 REAL MADRID, James: "Madrid have to go out and kill Juventus in second leg"
- 06 May 12:12 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu"
- 06 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Saul: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "A pity that I never played for Athletic"
- 04 May 10:00 LEVANTE, Alcaraz: "I don't care about my own future, I'm just focused on not getting relegated"
- 04 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "I hope Dani Alves will stay"
- 03 May 09:30 SEVILLA, Vitolo: "Happy to stay"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 30 Apr 06:19 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I think that sometimes Guardiola has thought about me"
- 29 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I hope to end my career here"
- 28 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 01 Aug 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal loan Crowley to Barnsley
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Birmingham sign Toral from Arsenal and loan Johnstone out
- 01 Aug 12:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Etoundi
- 01 Aug 11:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Oshaniwa joins Hearts of Midlothian
- 01 Aug 10:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica loan Pelé and Romario Baldé out
- 01 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ntcham joins Genoa
- 01 Aug 08:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Sidibé renews with Lille
- 01 Aug 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Immobile injured
- 01 Aug 07:27 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Soon a meeting with the club"
- 01 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I haven't decided if I will extend my contract"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 01 Aug 00:00 INTER, Taider's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 31 Jul 23:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Baker renews with Aston Villa
- 31 Jul 23:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New offer for Romagnoli ready
- 31 Jul 22:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Diers renews with Angers
- 31 Jul 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Jones renews with Everton
- 31 Jul 22:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Rodriguez
- 31 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Saint-Maximin joins Hannover
- 31 Jul 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa sign Veretout
- 31 Jul 21:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fontas renews with Celta
- 31 Jul 20:39 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Davila joins Vitoria
- 31 Jul 20:20 URUGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Aguirregaray joins Penarol
- 31 Jul 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Roco joins Espanyol
- 31 Jul 19:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Kortrijk sign Kage
- 31 Jul 19:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Inverness sign Mbuyi-Mutombo
- 31 Jul 19:16 MONTREAL, Drogba: "I won't be a burden to Montreal Impact"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 31 Jul 18:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Next week meeting for Thiago Motta future
- 31 Jul 18:15 ITALY/ LAZIO & INTER, Duel with Tottenham for Susic
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 17:47 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Briand about to attend medicals
- 31 Jul 17:44 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL,Completed the signing of Gestede
- 31 Jul 17:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign Jovetic
- 31 Jul 17:35 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Digby training with squad
- 31 Jul 17:22 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AS ROMA, Agreement for Dzeko: done. Defining details with City
- 31 Jul 17:09 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ahli sign Fetfatzidis from Genoa
- 31 Jul 16:56 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Sivasspor sign Caraglio
- 31 Jul 16:43 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Majestic double offer to Lazio for De Vrij and Felipe Anderson
- 31 Jul 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia loan Cartabia out to Deportivo La Coruña
- 31 Jul 16:17 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Twente sign Olaitan on loan from Olympiakos
- 31 Jul 16:04 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Attempt for Ashley Williams ready
- 31 Jul 16:03 SPAIN/ EXCLUSIVE YMW - Getafe: thinking about Novellino
- 31 Jul 15:56 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia D. Aubameyang has extended until 2020
- 31 Jul 15:54 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hysaj has signed
- 31 Jul 15:51 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ JUVENTUS, In touch with City for Nasri
- 31 Jul 15:38 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, 3 suitors for Aly Cissokho
- 31 Jul 15:25 BREAKING NEWS - FRANCE/ O.L., Valbuena more and more likely to join
- 31 Jul 15:12 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, West Ham defeated on Kanté
Through the following official note, Arsenal announced having loaned out English-Irish offensive midfielder Dan Crowley (18 years old next Monday, August 3) to Barnsley:
"Dan Crowley has joined League One side Barnsley FC on loan until January.
The technically-gifted m
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Paolo Busardò, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Saphir Taider, has declared: "We are receiving many offers. We&
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has told Espn: "The team is what it is. It has been put together. We have the team that our coach wanted
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "About Javier Hernandez, those are rumours and nothing more. There is nothing concrete. He is
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Alessandro Canovi, agent of PSG midfielder Thiago Motta, has declared: "My client will meet his club's executives
As reported by AS, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared: "I still haven't decided if I will extend my deal or not. In any case, I h