REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 18 May 08:30 VALENCIA, Bernat: "I hope to remain"
- 17 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "I will stay here"
- 16 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Cuenca: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 15 May 19:30 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I came here as a child and I leave with a family"
- 15 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll offer a new contract to Rakitic"
- 14 May 08:15 ATLETICO, Diego: "My future? After the CL final"
- 13 May 19:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I like the idea of delivering La Decima"
- 13 May 19:07 BARCELONA, Neymar hopes to return for title decider against Atletico Madrid
- 13 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "Real? Everybody dreams to play in the CL"
- 12 May 19:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano expects changes
- 12 May 18:15 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "200 per cent confident of winning La Liga"
- 12 May 08:15 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "The next game could be the last one.."
- 11 May 08:30 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I hope Martino will stay"
- 10 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "If somebody is not happy with me.."
- 09 May 13:16 REAL MADRID, Pepe out 15 days
- 09 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not sure to stay"
- 07 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery will stay"
- 06 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Sosa's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 05 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Martino? Soon we'll meet"
- 03 May 08:00 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? Just rumours"
- 02 May 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Martinez: "Nver to Athletic"
- 01 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "My future is here"
- 30 Apr 08:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "I signed for this club to win the CL"
- 29 Apr 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "I think Diego Costa will stay"
- 28 Apr 17:48 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "For me, it is a dream to win the Champions"
- 26 Apr 02:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho's grief for Vilanova's death: "A very hard moment"
- 25 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic's agent: "No contacts with Lazio"
- 24 Apr 13:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 23 Apr 13:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 08:00 MALAGA, Husillos: "We want to keep Iakovenko"
- 22 Apr 18:15 ATLETICO MADRID,Juanfran: "We can win the double"
- 22 Apr 08:00 ATHLETIC, Valverde: "A future at Barça? I have a contract"
- 29 Jul 14:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, closing in on the double signing of Southampton
- 29 Jul 14:20 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sturridge: "I'm ready to replace Suarez"
- 29 Jul 14:11 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Fellaini faces exit as Napoli eye loan deal
- 29 Jul 14:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Toulose sign Matheus
- 29 Jul 13:50 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht Frankfurt: arrives Valdez
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 13:32 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Kagawa free to join Borussia Dortmund
- 29 Jul 13:23 ITALY/ ROMA, Benatia observed by Real Madrid
- 29 Jul 13:14 AC MILAN & ARSENAL, Coming to terms on Joel Campbell
- 29 Jul 13:05 ENGLAND/ WIGAN, Survey on Yuji Ono
- 29 Jul 12:56 ITALY/ AS ROMA, New Serie A low ranking loan experience for Sanabria in thw viewfinder
- 29 Jul 12:47 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Planning majestic move for Di Maria
- 29 Jul 12:38 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Keen on Mbaye
- 29 Jul 12:29 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Defining details for Mangala
- 29 Jul 12:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Stall on Cerci
- 29 Jul 12:11 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Attempt for Dzemaili started
- 29 Jul 12:02 ITALY/ TORINO, Lead on Faraoni
- 29 Jul 11:54 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Douglas Costa getting nearer and nearer
- 29 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ INTER, The day might be right for signing Osvaldo
- 29 Jul 11:36 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Ravel Morrison more and more likely to leave
- 29 Jul 11:27 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Vidal's agent meets Bianconeri chief Marotta: United awaiting
- 29 Jul 11:18 ITALY/ CESENA, Approaching Brienza
- 29 Jul 11:09 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more suitor for Niang
- 29 Jul 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sanogo more and more likely to leave on loan
- 29 Jul 10:42 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Pursue for Micah Richards' loan
- 29 Jul 10:33 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Still negotiating with Bendtner
- 29 Jul 10:24 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Denials on meeting with Fellaini
- 29 Jul 10:22 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Giroud can extend
- 29 Jul 10:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Almunia meets Cagliari in the afternoon
- 29 Jul 10:00 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro waiting for Atletico
- 29 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, City sign Dilrosun
- 29 Jul 09:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Oumar Niasse joins Lokomotiv Moscow
- 29 Jul 09:15 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Ronaldinho quits Atletico Mineiro
- 29 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Idea Zaccardo
- 29 Jul 08:45 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, Seferovic towards Germany
- 29 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Kurtic about to join
- 29 Jul 08:15 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Gekas back to Akhisar
- 29 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo always closer
- 29 Jul 07:40 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Keen on Robinho
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 29 Jul 06:57 PSG, Verratti's agent: "He won't leave PSG"
- 29 Jul 06:39 HOFFENHEIM, Firmino: "I will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 29 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? It's up to him"
- 28 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Manolas
- 28 Jul 23:17 FRANCE/ MONACO, Sprint for Martinez
- 28 Jul 22:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ortuño renews with Granada
- 28 Jul 22:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lorient sign J. Ayew
- 28 Jul 22:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Everton sign Besic
According to Mirro, Marouane Fellaini's nightmare year at Manchester United is set to end with a move to Napoli. Fellaini, who cost £27.5million 11 months ago, is poised for a switch to the Serie A side, with United boss Louis van Gaal desperate to offload him.
Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared about 27-year-old winger Alessio Cerci: "There have been no contacts with Milan. Will he stay? It depe
Interviewed by SFC Radio, Sevilla FC Sports Director Ramon Rodriguez "Monchi" has declared about 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca: "The
In the press conference, Manchester United's coach, Louis van Gaal, has spoken about Red Devils market transfer. "I don't sign players on
Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has told Sportitalia: "There are no doubts about it, his future is at PSG".