REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 10 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We need no new players"
- 09 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "A new contract? If the club wants to.."
- 08 Jan 13:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was a bit tired"
- 08 Jan 09:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "Atletico played the long ball and used dirty tricks"
- 08 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, ter Stegen: "I want to succeed here"
- 07 Jan 15:54 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Messi? Things that go on in the dressing room stay there"
- 07 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No offers for Oliver Torres"
- 05 Jan 20:34 BARCELONA, Messi misses training with stomach illness
- 05 Jan 19:30 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "There is a lot left to play for in the league"
- 05 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I could move back to France"
- 04 Jan 07:29 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "The contract expiring is really not my problem"
- 03 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "My future is here"
- 01 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I want to end my career at River, but.."
- 31 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Bale won't leave"
- 30 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The new contract? No problem"
- 29 Dec 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "A couple of players could join"
- 28 Dec 06:30 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "He will end his career here"
- 25 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar's agent: "Ready to sign the new contract"
- 24 Dec 06:29 ATLETICO, Burgos: "Torres back? It would be great"
- 23 Dec 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "I have no intention to leave"
- 22 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I'm not worried about the renewal"
- 21 Dec 06:30 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "We want Montoya to stay"
- 20 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "I am not thinking about the transfer market"
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 18 Dec 06:59 BARCELONA FC, Xavi: "We want to win all this year. I'm still excited as at the start of my career"
- 17 Dec 18:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to be like Guardiola"
- 17 Dec 00:15 REAL MADRID, Jese: "You better take cover when Ancelotti gets angry"
- 16 Dec 19:39 LIGA SCANDAL, United's Ander Herrera denies match-fixing claims
- 16 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Recio: "I want to spend my career here"
- 15 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I am not worried about my new contract"
- 12 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The transfer market? It depends from the injuries"
- 11 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Montoya away? We admire him"
- 08 Dec 06:29 GRANADA, Nyom: "Honored by Barcelona interest"
- 07 Dec 06:30 ESPANYOL, Héctor Moreno: "I want to play for a top club"
- 06 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "In January he will leave"
- 05 Dec 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to remain for many years"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti must stay with us for a long time"
- 03 Dec 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 02 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Asensio won't join in January"
- 01 Dec 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I admire Pogba"
- 30 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I am not seeking a defender"
- 29 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mathieu: "We'll see if the club will sign another center back"
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Simeone has a contract and is happy"
- 27 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Cerci away? Ask our Sporting Director"
- 26 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Bitolo: "Honored by Napoli's interest, but.."
- 24 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy here"
- 23 Nov 06:30 ATLETICO M. Cerezo: "We are not thinking about selling Jimenez"
- 22 Nov 06:29 ATLETICO M., Moyà: "Oblak is our future"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 20 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to renew"
- 19 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Krychowiak"
- 18 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Napoli never made an offer"
- 17 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Just rumors about Simeone"
- 16 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like to play in England, but.."
- 15 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA FC, Monchi: "No offers for Vitolo"
- 14 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I had many offers from England, but.."
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "No problems about my new deal"
- 12 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Sterling and Barkley can play for Barça"
- 11 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I have no intention to leave in January"
- 10 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We would like to keep Zuculini"
- 07 Nov 10:00 FC SEVILLE, Pareja: "We are improving and limiting our weaknesses"
- 07 Nov 06:19 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I feel always better in this team"
- 06 Nov 10:19 BARCELONA, Messi matches Raúl González's goal record with double at Ajax
- 06 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Maybe next Monday we'll have a new coach"
- 05 Nov 06:39 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "Now let's defeat Olympiakos and celebrate qualification"
- 04 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about my new contract"
- 03 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Luis Enrique is not at risk"
- 02 Nov 06:00 GRANADA, Murillo: "I deam of Barça"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "No hurry about my renewal"
- 31 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I can still give a lot to this club"
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 29 Oct 07:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "The secret for defeating Barça was running and fighting"
- 28 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Mandzukic: "I had offers from Italy, but.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 25 Jan 08:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Djordjevic injured
- 25 Jan 07:57 PSG, Blanc: "Only Chantome has asked to leave"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 25 Jan 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Summer plan for signing Yaya Touré
- 24 Jan 23:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING BRAGA, 2 rivals towards Lazio's Pereirinha
- 24 Jan 22:00 ENGLAND/ WBA, Duel to Premier League and Serie A suitors for M'Vila
- 24 Jan 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Cassano might join back
- 24 Jan 20:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiakos sign Franco Jara
- 24 Jan 19:39 ITALY/ AS ROMA: Duel to Arsenal, Liverpool and Juventus on Lacazette
- 24 Jan 19:20 ARGENTINA/ RACING AVELLANEDA, Eyes on Papu Gomez
- 24 Jan 19:00 CORINTHIANS & SAO PAULO, Pato offered to Everton
- 24 Jan 18:37 ITALY/ INTER, Almost done for Brozovic
- 24 Jan 18:17 ITALY/ TORINO, Steps forward towards Osvaldo
- 24 Jan 17:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo might join Hellas Verona back
- 24 Jan 17:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Not giving up on Illarramendi
- 24 Jan 17:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Savic joins Watford
- 24 Jan 17:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Medical checks for Eto'o
- 24 Jan 16:27 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Diego Rodriguez joins Independiente Avellaneda
- 24 Jan 15:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, RCD Mallorca sign Xisco
- 24 Jan 15:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bologna sign Mbaye on loan from Inter
- 24 Jan 14:59 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jaime Ayovi joins Godoy Cruz back
- 24 Jan 14:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan yield Watson to Watford
- 24 Jan 14:00 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Shanghai Shenhua sign Papadopoulos
- 24 Jan 13:37 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Approaching Henrique
- 24 Jan 13:17 SPAIN/ RAYO VALLECANO, Correa about to join on loan from Atletico
- 24 Jan 12:59 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Big plan for signing Bale
- 24 Jan 12:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Larrondo joins Tigre
- 24 Jan 12:20 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Kuyt willing to join back
- 24 Jan 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign Lucas Silva
- 24 Jan 11:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Hamdi joins Brest
- 24 Jan 10:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco da Gama sign Serginho
- 24 Jan 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Attempt for Luiz Adriano
- 24 Jan 08:30 USA/ OFFICIAL, Grana joins Columbus
- 24 Jan 07:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson still injured
- 24 Jan 07:27 LILLE, Girard: "Nothing going on about my future"
- 24 Jan 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "No hurry about Guardiola's renewal"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 24 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Benitez wants to stay"
- 23 Jan 23:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign Lucas Silva
- 23 Jan 22:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montpellier sign Sotoca
- 23 Jan 22:29 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Diego Reyes
- 23 Jan 21:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Anderson renews with Burnley
- 23 Jan 21:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Tomorrow medicals for Gilardino
- 23 Jan 21:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Dundee sign McGowan
- 23 Jan 20:37 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Erciyesspor sign Drenthe
- 23 Jan 20:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Larrondo joins Tigre
- 23 Jan 19:59 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lierse sign Capdevila
- 23 Jan 19:39 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Santos
- 23 Jan 19:20 CYRPUS/ OFFICIAL, APOEL sign Lanig
According to latest news reported in Italian media, highlighted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter manager Roberto Mancini, with the consent of Neroazzurri owner, Erick Thohir, is planning to sign Ivorian international half-back Yaya Touré (31). Former
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has declared about his first team's coach Rafa Benitez: "He wants to remain
Real Madrid coach Sergio Ramos has declared about 28-year-old defender Sergio Ramos: "He has always given everything for the team, he is motivate
Swansea manager Garry Monk has declared about 29-year-old striker Bafetimbi Gomis: "I'm confident Bafe will stay here. I''ve seen his
PSG coach Laurent Blanc has declared: "Until the market will be open, everything can happen, the only problem is the financial fair play, we can&
Interviewed by TZ, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about the first team's coach Pep Guardiola: "I hope that he will stay