REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 23 Jun 14:47 CELTA VIGO - An Italian top suitor for JONNY Castro
- 19 Jun 21:11 OFFICIAL - Leganés buy SIOVAS back from Olympiakos
- 16 Jun 11:16 OFFICIAL - Sergio GARCIA joins Espanyol back
- 14 Jun 18:54 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Leo BAPTISTAO from Atletico Madrid on a full basis
- 11 Jun 16:26 OFFICIAL - Levante sign Antonio LUNA
- 09 Jun 20:36 OFFICIAL - Metz sign BALLIU on new contract
- 09 Jun 18:32 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign 2001-born talent GONZALEZ on new deal
- 09 Jun 09:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Leganés, VERDE might join from AS Roma
- 08 Jun 23:27 MALAGA keen on Sevilla second-liner Marc GUAL
- 07 Jun 16:37 LAS PALMAS - From Spain: done for GABIGOL
- 06 Jun 19:51 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign veteran Iván RAMIS on new deal
- 06 Jun 09:04 CELTA VIGO - Eyes on Antonio LUNA
- 05 Jun 21:00 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign Raul GARCIA from Alavés
- 04 Jun 11:41 OFFICIAL - Gorka ELUSTONDO leaves Athletic Bilbao as a free agent
- 04 Jun 04:26 REAL SOCIEDAD planning to sign Diego LLORENTE from Real Madrid
- 01 Jun 19:48 LAS PALMAS - Eyes on Mexican goalie OCHOA
- 31 May 21:48 OFFICIAL - Villarreal sign ENES UNAL from City on a full basis
- 29 May 17:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign Rubén DUARTE from Espanyol
- 29 May 16:55 OFFICIAL - 4 players leave Athletic Bilbao
- 28 May 19:24 LAS PALMAS interested in signing GABIGOL on loan from Inter Milan
- 25 May 09:49 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao, internal solution: Ziganda is the new manager
- 24 May 16:20 OSASUNA - 2 top suitors for Alex BERENGUER
- 24 May 11:21 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA - An Italian suitor (and a Portuguese one) for ANDONE
- 24 May 08:47 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Diego LOPEZ on a full basis. Pipa's deal extended, José Reyes leaves for good
- 23 May 14:53 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign Uruguayan wonderkid MAXI GOMEZ
- 22 May 08:37 LEGANES - Eyes on Genoa departee COFIE
- 21 May 04:50 DEPORTIVO ALAVES - 3 Serie A suitors for Daniel TORRES
- 18 May 12:49 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign Kevin-Prince BOATENG on a new contract
- 17 May 19:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Celta Vigo agree 4-year deal with Uruguayan wonderkid Maxi GOMEZ
- 17 May 10:17 OFFICIAL - Betis extend deal with PEZZELLA
- 16 May 08:14 MALAGA, Demichelis announces quitting: "I lost the leg strength needed"
- 15 May 23:13 REAL BETIS, Ceballos: "My future is still here"
- 12 May 22:33 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad, captain MIKEL Gonzalez says farewell. New deal for Raul Navas
- 12 May 15:26 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC buy ONDOA back from Tarragona
- 11 May 17:02 OFFICIAL - Marcelino is the new Valencia manager
- 10 May 22:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Las Palmas target AS Roma loanee ITURBE
- 10 May 15:15 OFFICIAL - Betis sack Sanchez del Amo. Trujillo is caretaking
- 09 May 21:49 SEVILLA FC - 5 top suitors for VITOLO
- 09 May 10:16 SEVILLA FC, director Arias: "Nothing true about KEITA joining us"
- 08 May 13:28 ATLETICO MADRID loanee Theo HERNANDEZ's agent: "Real and Barça want him"
- 06 May 21:23 MALAGA, Camacho: "Making me leave would be hard"
- 05 May 23:24 SPORTING GIJON - 2 German suitors for Jorge Meré
- 29 Apr 21:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sevilla FC eyeing AC Milan's LAPADULA
- 27 Apr 21:49 CELTA VIGO about to sign Serbian midfielder RADOJA on a new deal
- 25 Apr 22:04 REAL BETIS - A Premier League top suitor for Antonio Adán
- 23 Apr 16:23 GRANADA, Tony Adams: "We can't sign Richardson and Reo-Coker"
- 21 Apr 19:02 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Malaga in touch with AC Milan on Gustavo GOMEZ
- 20 Apr 15:12 ESPANYOL, Diego Lopez: "I need to learn about AC Milan's future before knowing mine"
- 19 Apr 12:24 LAS PALMAS about to sign Kevin-Prince BOATENG on a new deal
- 17 Apr 15:52 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Espanyol, an Italian suitor on Rubén DUARTE
- 17 Apr 08:15 VALENCIA - Eyes on Sergio León
- 14 Apr 01:18 REAL BETIS, Pezzella's agent: "AS Roma might turn to him. Inter Milan and Napoli like him"
- 12 Apr 15:45 ESPANYOL - A Premier League top suitor for David LOPEZ
- 12 Apr 10:38 REAL BETIS set price on PEZZELLA. Inter Milan made inquiry
- 11 Apr 11:46 ESPANYOL plan to try signing BOJAN Krkic
- 10 Apr 16:32 OFFICIAL - Granada announced Tony ADAMS being their new manager
- 06 Apr 20:26 OFFICIAL - Granada sign Brazilian youngster CAIO EMERSON
- 05 Apr 08:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Celta Vigo, 2 clubs willing to bring Giuseppe ROSSI back to Italy
- 04 Apr 19:55 OFFICIAL - Iago ASPAS extends contract with Celta Vigo
- 03 Apr 23:24 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sevilla scouting Sampdoria playmaker TORREIRA
- 03 Apr 14:44 VILLARREAL - A Premier League top suitor for SAMU Castillejo
- 01 Apr 19:09 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sign GURIDI on a new contract
- 31 Mar 21:35 REAL MADRID legend Raúl soon to become an executive for Merengues
- 31 Mar 10:55 BARCELONA FC - Unzué more and more likely to replace Luis Enrique
- 28 Mar 17:52 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign captain JAVI LOPEZ on a new deal
- 27 Mar 20:36 REAL BETIS captain Joaquín: "I'd like to buy the club someday"
- 26 Mar 18:58 BARCELONA FC, Denis Suarez's agent: "No transfer talks. He's fine and on the right path at Barça"
- 24 Mar 09:07 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "The player I'd like to join us is COUTINHO"
- 22 Mar 10:33 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We are in talks for BENZEMA new contract"
- 21 Mar 22:12 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad sign captain and icon Xabi PRIETO on a new deal
- 19 Mar 22:49 SEVILLA FC, Sampaoli: "No talks with Barça"
- 12 Mar 12:03 VALENCIA, Zaza: "Staying here for a long time would make me happy"
- 09 Mar 17:35 OFFICIAL - Betis, ZOZULYA joins back from Rayo due to suspects of neo-nazi ties
- 09 Mar 14:00 BARCELONA - Neymar says he's sure 'Messi will renew'
- 08 Mar 16:33 VILLARREAL - Eyes on Nicolás CASTILLO
- 07 Mar 19:20 OFFICIAL - MALAGA sign MICHEL as new manager
- 07 Mar 15:32 BARCELONA - Suarez: "We must not go crazy from the start"
- 07 Mar 10:10 REAL SOCIEDAD - A top Premier League suitor for BERCHICHE
- 06 Mar 20:16 OFFICIAL - Sporting GIJON sign Sergio Alvarez on a new contract
- 02 Mar 12:03 REAL MADRID, Bale: "I did not deserve red card against Las Palmas"
- 02 Mar 09:30 BARCELONA -Luis Enrique explains his decision to leave: "I have to be loyal to what I think"
- 01 Mar 15:44 LAS PALMAS - Jesé: " Mourinho had no sympathy for me"
- 28 Feb 17:23 REAL MADRID - 19-man squad for the match against UD Las Palmas
- 25 Feb 19:56 BARCELONA FC - 4 names for replacing Luis Enrique next season
- 22 Feb 22:23 OFFICIAL - MALAGA extend deal with RECIO
- 21 Feb 15:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone will stay
- 17 Feb 09:42 BARCELONA FC target an Eibar player
- 16 Feb 19:59 REAL BETIS working on their two main stars' new contracts
- 16 Feb 12:52 OFFICIAL - REAL BETIS sign Petros on a new deal
- 16 Feb 09:42 REAL MADRID - Casemiro sensational strike against Napoli: "I've been working on in training"
- 15 Feb 14:16 OFFICIAL - ATLETICO MADRID sign Thomas PARTEY on a new long-term deal
- 14 Feb 17:31 REAL MADRID - star Bale out of Napoli Champions League clash
- 13 Feb 18:37 ESPANYOL willing to sign DIEGO LOPEZ on a full basis from AC Milan
- 12 Feb 10:48 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Iñaki Williams: "This is home to me, I don't want to leave"
- 10 Feb 09:26 OFFICIAL - EIBAR sign Sergi Enrich on a new contract
- 09 Feb 20:44 OFFICIAL - ATHLETIC BILBAO sign Yeray Alvarez on new contract
- 09 Feb 15:45 REAL MADRID - Perez: "The Bernabeu can't host the Copa final due to construction work"
- 07 Feb 08:00 REAL MADRID to target Lloris
- 06 Feb 09:15 CELTA VIGO - Marcelo DIAZ says no to Chinese transfer
- 03 Feb 08:43 OFFICIAL - ESPANYOL sign 3 players on new long-term contracts
An item of interest for several European clubs, Argentinian Under-20 international centre-back/half-back Juan Marcos Foyth (19) has been targeted by three of them: Atletico Madrid (which would in case sign him now, and then leave him in his current parent club as a loanee, until
Leaving Galatasaray after four seasons and a half, Dutch international playmaking/attacking midfielder Wesley Sneijder (33), according to Italian news
While closing on Alex Berenguer, Napoli management, according to Galician newspaper Atlantico, have targeted Spanish Under-21 international left-back/
Coming from last two seasons' loan experiences at Wigan Athletic and Wolverhampton, English Under-20 international winger Sheyi Ojo (20)
Left Le Havre as a free agent, after three seasons, French-Capeverdian centre-back Steven Fortes (25) has officially joined Toulouse on a 4-
More and more likely to leave Genoa after two seasons and a half, Uruguayan international midfielder/winger Diego Laxalt (24), according to