REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Jan 21:49 OFFICIAL - Javi ALAMO resigns from OSASUNA and joins ALMERIA
- 18 Jan 15:02 ATLETICO MADRID - Duel to Genoa and Sassuolo on Walter MONTOYA
- 17 Jan 12:44 MALAGA close to sign DEMICHELIS back
- 16 Jan 00:26 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA sign ZAZA
- 13 Jan 20:30 OFFICIAL - DEPORTIVO, Ola JOHN joins on loan from Benfica
- 13 Jan 12:10 OFFICIAL - CELTA VIGO sign Jozabed Sanchez and Dani Molina
- 12 Jan 17:33 SPORTING GIJON close to sign TIOTE from Newcastle
- 11 Jan 19:13 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA confirm VORO Gonzalez as first team manager
- 11 Jan 15:36 OFFICIAL - CELTA VIGO hand NARANJO out to GENK
- 10 Jan 16:08 OFFICIAL - Argentinian veteran DEMICHELIS resigns from ESPANYOL
- 10 Jan 11:28 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign LENGLET from AS Nancy
- 09 Jan 17:09 OFFICIAL - Algerian defender MEDJANI resigns from LEGANES
- 09 Jan 16:52 LAS PALMAS agree with Fiorentina on signing TOLEDO
- 07 Jan 20:36 OFFICIAL - MALAGA sign PENARANDA
- 06 Jan 22:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - MALAGA target Deportivo Cali's PRECIADO
- 06 Jan 14:56 GRANADA - Arsenal loanee Jon TORAL might leave and join GLASGOW RANGERS
- 03 Jan 16:11 REAL BETIS - Musonda's father confirms son's leaving: it will be Chelsea or AS Roma
- 02 Jan 22:22 OFFICIAL - Bojan JOKIC resigns from VILLARREAL
- 30 Dec 17:37 MALAGA planning to sign JOKANOVIC as new boss in summer
- 30 Dec 14:19 ATLETICO MADRID & ALAVES - A Premier League top suitor for Theo HERNANDEZ
- 29 Dec 22:37 ATLETICO MADRID - CERCI in talks for a Serie A comeback
- 29 Dec 20:21 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign SIOVAS and 2 B squad players
- 28 Dec 22:06 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign SERANTES on a new contract
- 28 Dec 20:11 OFFICIAL - Marcelo ROMERO is MALAGA new manager
- 28 Dec 19:00 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "Retiring at Barcelona is my dream"
- 28 Dec 00:53 SPORTING GIJON - Attempt for Newcastle's TIOTE ready
- 24 Dec 06:37 BARCELONA -Luis Enrique: 'Melon d'Or' battle 'ridiculous'
- 24 Dec 02:25 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone believes he will struggle to find a better club
- 23 Dec 12:10 REAL MADRID - 3 Liga suitors for Mariano DIAZ's loan
- 22 Dec 17:11 VILLARREAL - First attempt for GABIGOL failed
- 19 Dec 20:37 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA - A big-time Turkish suitor for EMRE COLAK
- 17 Dec 22:36 EIBAR - 2 UK clubs pursuing Sergi ENRICH
- 16 Dec 22:45 EIBAR - 2 English and 1 German suitors for DANI GARCIA
- 14 Dec 23:15 FC SEVILLE - Lucas PRATTO on target
- 14 Dec 18:55 ESPANYOL - A top suitor for Gerard MORENO
- 14 Dec 17:28 REAL BETIS - A French suitor for Antonio ADAN
- 13 Dec 16:13 VILLARREAL - Cheryshev might be traded to DEPOR
- 12 Dec 13:48 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA scouting Lens' ZOUBIR
- 10 Dec 04:35 VALENCIA - 2 suitors for Aussie goalie Mathew RYAN
- 09 Dec 19:26 FC SEVILLE, Kolodziejczak: "It's time for me to leave and start somenthing new"
- 07 Dec 20:37 FC SEVILLE challenged by Sporting Lisbon on signing VANGIONI
- 07 Dec 01:13 BARCELONA FC scouting Ajax talent CERNY
- 03 Dec 03:55 EXCLUSIVE TMW - LAS PALMAS challenge Serie A sides on ADEJO
- 02 Dec 13:55 REAL BETIS - Musonda to leave back to Chelsea in winter
- 01 Dec 19:19 6 Liga clubs keen on REAL MADRID new sensation Mariano DIAZ
- 01 Dec 16:40 ESPANYOL - ROBERTO Jimenez wants to leave in winter
- 30 Nov 12:00 BARCELONA - Mathieu out 20 days
- 29 Nov 22:17 OSASUNA - Eyes on ZACCARDO
- 26 Nov 14:37 3 Liga suitors on Stoke departee MUNIESA
- 24 Nov 13:39 ATHLETIC BILBAO planning to bring MERINO back to Spain
- 21 Nov 23:37 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA consider bringing LUIS ALBERTO back
- 20 Nov 02:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Pezzella about to be signed on a new contract
- 19 Nov 02:29 MALAGA, Arnau: "BALOTELLI offered himself to us, but..."
- 18 Nov 14:04 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: "I imagine Messi at Barça for many years"
- 18 Nov 10:01 FC SEVILLE want to sign Emmanuel MAS from San Lorenzo
- 18 Nov 03:41 MALAGA challenge Depor on CAICEDO
- 15 Nov 23:01 FC SEVILLE - Aleix VIDAL willing to join back
- 14 Nov 11:46 MALAGA - Doors open leading to ITURBE
- 14 Nov 05:46 VILLARREAL - New long-term contract for GASPAR on arrival
- 12 Nov 18:17 LAS PALMAS, Boateng: "I'm finally enjoying football and life here, ready for a new contract"
- 12 Nov 13:35 OFFICIAL - REAL BETIS announce new head coach
- 11 Nov 11:42 OFFICIAL - LAS PALMAS, 3 deal extensions and one renewal
- 10 Nov 15:47 VALENCIA scouting Miguel VELOSO
- 09 Nov 11:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Guidolin targeted for replacing Poyet
- 08 Nov 19:22 REAL MADRID - Eyes on Brazilian youngster from Corinthians
- 08 Nov 16:33 OFFICIAL - VILLARREAL sign Manu TRIGUEROS on a new contract
- 08 Nov 15:44 OFFICIAL - OSASUNA sack Enrique Martín
- 07 Nov 19:01 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "MSN are wonders, I'd never have played at Barça"
- 07 Nov 10:09 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Ronaldo should retire at Real"
- 04 Nov 15:47 VILLAREAL - Pato: "The image of Milan will always Berlusconi"
- 03 Nov 17:01 VIDEO - 5 things... Real Madrid in fine form
- 02 Nov 23:07 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We lacked a bit of everything"
- 02 Nov 07:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "We'll fight to be group leaders"
- 01 Nov 23:10 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Tight and tough clash"
- 01 Nov 09:50 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi? I don't know what will happen"
- 31 Oct 20:46 REAL MADRID - Bale: "Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or"
- 30 Oct 19:05 Liga/ Sunday Afternoon FT scores, Matchaday 10
- 30 Oct 10:12 SEVILLA, Sampaoli: "We deserved more"
- 30 Oct 09:23 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "It was a strange game"
- 29 Oct 23:04 BARCELONA - Fernandez: "We will extend the top player contracts in the end of the season"
- 29 Oct 00:49 FC SEVILLE might pursue KISHNA again
- 28 Oct 16:52 BARCELONA - Rafinha: "Neymar the victim of a media campaign"
- 28 Oct 14:48 ATLETICO MADRID keen on Ascacibar
- 26 Oct 22:37 FC SEVILLE - Eyes on Udinese/Watford talent PENARANDA
- 26 Oct 20:02 OFFICIAL - REAL MADRID, Lucas Vazquez extends his deal until 2021
- 26 Oct 19:06 BARCELONA - Mathieu injured: out for three weeks
- 25 Oct 21:04 FC SEVILLE still keen on HOFFENHEIM's Rudy
- 24 Oct 19:55 GRANADA - Andreas PEREIRA wants to join United back and play first team
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
According to latest news reported by Daily Mail, English-Nigerian centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo (19), currently playing in Manchester City Under-23 squad, is getting less and less likely to accept being signed by his current parent club on his professional contract. The
According to Italian news, Torino management are getting closer and closer to sign Argentinian attacking midfielder/winger Lucas Nahuel Castro (27). F
Hailing from the last ranking position of Spanish Liga, Osasuna announced 28-year old winger Javi Alamo got his contract with them resigned. Leaving N
According to latest news reported by Daily Mail, English-Nigerian centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo (19), currently playing in Manchester City Un
Caen announced having loaned out DR Congolese international attacking midfielder Jordan N'Kololo (24) to Stade Lavallois, competing in L
Hoffenheim announced having signed Austrian Under-21 international midfielder Florian Grillitsch (21), joining from Werder Bremen on undisclosed terms