REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 11.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 17 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I hope I can remain"
- 16 May 14:44 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: “We feel confident to win the Copa”
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I would never move to another European club"
- 15 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I feel important for this team"
- 14 May 14:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi stops for 2-3 weeks
- 14 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I thought Valdes was going to extend"
- 13 May 06:00 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "Let'see what will happen inside the club"
- 12 May 06:30 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "My future? Nothing concrete for the moment"
- 11 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Villa? We always want great players"
- 10 May 09:47 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Madrid must stop squabbling"
- 10 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "No calls from the club, it means that they don't want me"
- 09 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to remain, but.."
- 08 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "No negotiations with Inter"
- 07 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Real must find an agreement with Sao Paulo"
- 06 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kakà: "I don't think I'll move back to Brazil"
- 05 May 05:59 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Our team doesn't need big changes"
- 04 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modrid's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 03 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "My future is here"
- 02 May 05:59 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "I could move back to Arsenal"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "I will go where people love me to be"
- 30 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Ancelotti here? Ask him and the club!"
- 29 Apr 16:04 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Confident that we can turn the tie around"
- 29 Apr 06:00 REAL BETIS, Benat: "I dream to play for Athletic"
- 28 Apr 06:27 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Botafogo is an option, but I could also stay here"
- 27 Apr 06:29 SEVILLA, Negredo's agent: "Several clubs keen on him, he hasn't refused any offer"
- 26 Apr 06:19 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Yes, Real want to keep him"
- 25 Apr 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Monatnier: "No contacts with Lille"
- 24 Apr 08:30 BARCELONA, Xavi accept Bayern were better
- 24 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Signing Diego? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 15:15 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "It is difficult to predict who will play in the final"
- 23 Apr 10:30 BARCELONA, Messi: "Bayern even stronger than last year"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I have made no decisions about my future yet"
- 22 Apr 16:45 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "It will not be easy to beat Dortmund
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Roura: "Abidal's contract? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 21 Apr 06:29 BARCELONA, Dos Santos: "My future? I need to play more"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Villa: "Many clubs are tracking me"
- 19 Apr 19:00 BARCELONA FC, Sanchez: "I'm fine here, I've got everything I want"
- 18 Apr 12:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "It's about doing something extra, not just winning"
- 18 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Santa Cruz's agent: "We are in talks with Botafogo"
- 17 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No negotiation with Inter for Kondogbia"
- 16 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes'agent: "He has one more year on his contract"
- 13 Apr 06:00 LEVANTE, Michel: "Back to Valencia? It's up to them"
- 12 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Valverde: "My new contract? All on stand-by"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Piquè: "Ferguson was wrong to sell me"
- 10 Apr 11:33 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We deserved to win the tie "
- 09 Apr 20:45 MALAGA, Demichelis: "We would like to win this one for Pellegrini"
- 09 Apr 06:15 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "My future doesn't depend from the Champions League"
- 08 Apr 16:22 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We’re preparing seriously for a highly difficult match"
- 08 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Toulalan: "I want to keep on playing here"
- 18 May 12:29 SLOVENIA/ MARIBOR NK, Four Italian suitors for Beric
- 18 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Inter and Valencia challenged on Rojo's signing
- 18 May 11:30 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Carlos Alberto joins Atletico Paranaense
- 18 May 10:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, From England: Mourinho wants CR7 together with at Chelsea
- 18 May 10:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Gamberini might be the key for signing Ogbonna
- 18 May 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Almost done for Zuniga
- 18 May 09:29 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, Attempt for Baines ready
- 18 May 09:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Borges is Bahia new coach
- 18 May 08:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Idea Ftacla
- 18 May 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Lorenzo is Olympiacos new Sports Director
- 18 May 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I dream of Real Madrid"
- 18 May 06:59 BAYERN, Heinckes: "I won't talk about my future before the CL final"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 18 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He won't leave"
- 17 May 23:37 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Nicolás Sánchez
- 17 May 23:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Fiorentina after Pizarro
- 17 May 22:59 ITALY/ UDINESE, Sprint for Nunez
- 17 May 22:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Karpuz
- 17 May 22:20 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, First attempt for Diamanti failed
- 17 May 22:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Berezovsky extends with Dynamo Moscow
- 17 May 21:45 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Perez about to extend
- 17 May 21:30 GERMANY/ WERDER, Also Vogel for the bench
- 17 May 21:15 FRANCE/ EVIAN, Barbosa about to extend
- 17 May 21:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Three clubs after Kurtic
- 17 May 20:50 PERU/ UNIVERSITARIO, Guarderas towards Europe
- 17 May 20:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Interest for Cassano
- 17 May 20:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Asamoah
- 17 May 20:20 INTER, Successful surgery for Cassano
- 17 May 20:10 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Attempt for Dzeko ready
- 17 May 20:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Offer for Gündoğan ready
- 17 May 19:50 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, From France: deal with Moutinho, soon the meeting with Porto
- 17 May 19:40 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Stojanovic about to renew
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 19:20 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, McGinn extends with Aberdeen
- 17 May 19:10 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Eyes on Koval
- 17 May 19:00 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Offer for Tino Costa
- 17 May 18:50 ITALY/ LAZIO, Russian suitors for Diakité
- 17 May 18:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Liverpool eye Belfodil
- 17 May 18:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Lichtsteiner gets farther
- 17 May 18:20 TURKEY/ SIVASSPOR, Roberto Carlos might be next manager
- 17 May 18:10 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Captain Cherundolo about to extend
- 17 May 18:00 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Done for Victor Valdes
- 17 May 17:50 FRANCE/ O.L., New Premier League chance for Gomis
- 17 May 17:47 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, 6 Premier League clubs interested in Atsu
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:31 AC MILAN, Tassotti: "Montolivo was back training today and we hope he’ll be okay for tomorrow"
- 17 May 17:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli keen on Di Santo
- 17 May 17:15 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Nasri sad after Mancini axe
- 17 May 17:10 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Tasci: "I could end my career here"
According to latest rumours coming from English off-the-record sources, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger is preparing to throw a challenge to both Inter and Valencia, in order to get to sign Argentinian talented international centre-back Marcos Rojo (23). Currently on a...
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus attacking midfielder Sebastian Giovinco, has declared: "He is still part...
Interviewed by Marca, Barcelona 26 year old forward Pedro has declared: "There have been many changements inside the team, but my intention...
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has declared about the possible interest for Manchester United 27 year old striker Wayne Rooney: "At the...
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes has declared: "Many people think that they can contact me because my contracy is...
Saint-Etienne 23 year old striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has declared: "I want to make an attentive evaluation about my future, I can...