REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa coul come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
- 18 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Solskjaer resigns from Cardiff City manager position
- 18 Sep 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Renewal negotiations reopened for Abate
- 18 Sep 20:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Survey on Okaka
- 18 Sep 19:59 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Attempt for Ashley Young on tabs
- 18 Sep 19:39 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid renew Varane's contract
- 18 Sep 19:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wanyama on target
- 18 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fulham fire Magath
- 18 Sep 18:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Sarabia on target
- 18 Sep 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Move for youngster Gaudino
- 18 Sep 17:27 VENEZUELA/ OFFICIAL, Jhonder Cadiz extends for Caracas FC
- 18 Sep 16:57 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, A further suitor for Obiang
- 18 Sep 16:29 HUNGARY/ OFFICIAL, Attila Pinter fired from NT managing
- 18 Sep 15:59 CZECH REPUBLIC/ OFFICIAL, Slovan Liberec sign Tabeira
- 18 Sep 15:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Lokomotiv Moscow sack Kuchuk
- 18 Sep 15:00 FRANCE/ RENNES, Keen on Beauvue
- 18 Sep 14:27 ITALY/ GENOA, De Maio likely to extend
- 18 Sep 13:57 ITALY/ PARMA, Suggestion for Muñoz
- 18 Sep 13:29 HUNGARY/ HALADAS, Keen on Andrea Mancini
- 18 Sep 12:59 GERMANY/ AUGSBURG, Boland on target
- 18 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Eyes on Logashov
- 18 Sep 12:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Selke renews for Werder Bremen
- 18 Sep 11:31 ENGLAND/ CARDIFF, Pulis to replace Solskjaer
- 18 Sep 11:14 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, keen to sign Brandt as Liverpool
- 18 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, plotting to re-sign Lass Diarra
- 18 Sep 10:44 As ROMA , Gervinho about Champions: "We can go a long way"
- 18 Sep 10:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, eye moves for free agent defenders
- 18 Sep 10:05 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Gervinho: "Happy for the renewal, this is my home"
- 18 Sep 09:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Matuidi
- 18 Sep 08:45 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Schär
- 18 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Suarez towards Italy
- 18 Sep 08:15 HUNGARY/ HONVED, Chevanton about to sign
- 18 Sep 08:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Imminent meeting for Rabiot
- 18 Sep 07:40 FRANCE/ PSG, Auction for Lavezzi
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 18 Sep 06:57 PSG, Maxwell: "I could even decide to quit"
- 18 Sep 06:39 BAYERN, Gaudino's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
Still determined to sign German international centre-back, and World Cup 2014 winner as a core-player, Mats Hummels (25), Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal is ready to make another attempt for purchasing him from Borussia Dortmund next January. Currently on a deal with Bun
After scoring two against PFC CSKA Moskva, Gervinho is confident AS Roma's UEFA Champions League return will be a successful one, a view shared by
Barcelona full back Douglas has declared: "I have cried many times when I heard that I was going to join Barcelona, this is the tranfer of life f
Arsenal playmaking midfielder and captain Mikel Arteta talked about 2-0 defeat suffered from Borussia Dortmund: "We played against one of the top
OM forward Florian Thauvin has declared: "The president have had some contacts with Inter, but I don't know what has really happens. Things w
Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp commented upon Champions League triumph over Arsenal, talking to Ruhr Nachrichten: "We wanted to be a perf