REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 11.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 17 Apr 08:21 BARCELONA, Bartra: "This defeat saddens us because we fought until the end"
- 17 Apr 08:12 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Madrid hurt us on counterattack"
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 15 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I don't think I will stay"
- 14 Apr 09:45 BARCELONA FC, Zubizarreta: "Messi's renewal? Things are going quite well"
- 11 Apr 19:45 BARCELONA, Bartra out of Granada squad
- 11 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I don't want to leave"
- 10 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We did well and deserved the 3-1 victory"
- 10 Apr 14:45 REAL MADRID, CR7 injured
- 10 Apr 12:17 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I do not know if Atletico deserved this win"
- 10 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Rafinha: "I am not in talks with Barça"
- 09 Apr 06:00 RAYO, Longo's agent: "He is happy in Spain"
- 08 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois elusive about his future
- 07 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Zubizarreta has no fault"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I am not resigning"
- 05 Apr 06:00 GRANADA, Pina: "No agreement with Real for Siqueira"
- 04 Apr 06:00 BETIS, Reyes: "I would stay even in the Second division"
- 03 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "My future? I live day by day"
- 02 Apr 08:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti prepares Madrid for Dortmund reprise
- 02 Apr 08:34 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "This was probably the biggest match I've played at the Camp Nou"
- 02 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "He won't leave"
- 01 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "I want to continue here"
- 31 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Real? I'll stay here or move to Chelsea"
- 30 Mar 06:59 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Many clubs after Diego Costa"
- 29 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi won't leave, as well as Martino"
- 28 Mar 06:00 GETAFE, Sarabia: "Honored of United's interest, but.."
- 27 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Griezmann: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 Mar 06:00 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "The one in Brazil would be my last World Cup"
- 23 Mar 06:29 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Don't know much about my future"
- 22 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes: "Martino will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, D. Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 20 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "I hope to be back for the CL final"
- 19 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo will end his career here"
- 18 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I also dream to train the Italian NT"
- 17 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Here forever? I don't know"
- 16 Mar 06:29 CELTA, Mouriño: "We would like to keep Rafinha"
- 15 Mar 06:29 BETIS, Didac Vila's agent: "His future? Soon we'll see.."
- 14 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I could remain forever"
- 13 Mar 10:08 BARCELONA, Messi: "We're back to our best "
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Pogba? Why not?!"
- 12 Mar 12:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa: "I'm doing well in the Champions League and I'm scoring a lot "
- 12 Mar 06:15 ATLETICO, Villaverde: "Many suitors for Diego Costa"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 18 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ MILAN, United ready to track Rami
- 18 Apr 16:31 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio: "I always give everything to help the team win"
- 18 Apr 16:15 ENGLAND/ SHEFFIELD UTD, Clough: "De Girolamo-Juve? I don't know about transfer rumors"
- 18 Apr 16:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Prandelli did well to call on El Shaarawy"
- 18 Apr 15:44 FRANCE/ TOULOUSE, Arsenal asking info about Serge Aurier
- 18 Apr 15:31 INTER, Walter Mazzarri names a 20-man squad for Parma v Inter
- 18 Apr 15:16 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Benjamin Mendy observed by United
- 18 Apr 14:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Arteta: "Admits it is hard to switch off"
- 18 Apr 14:45 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Heitinga: "I'd like to stay here also in the future"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 14:15 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro set to stay
- 18 Apr 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Schmelzer on target
- 18 Apr 13:45 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Nilton's message to Inter, AC Milan and Valencia: "I'm on a deal here, but I like Europe"
- 18 Apr 13:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Carrizo harder to get
- 18 Apr 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, More German rivals towards signing Drmic
- 18 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Abel Hernandez is the new name on tabs
- 18 Apr 12:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Duel to continental competitors on Stambouli: offer submitted
- 18 Apr 12:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Eyes on Cattermole
- 18 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Ruben Botta's agent: "Several suitors for him, but Neroazzurri want to hold him"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 11:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma scout Rafa Silva
- 18 Apr 11:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Insisting on Olic
- 18 Apr 11:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Cambiasso
- 18 Apr 11:07 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Van Basten is the new AZ Alkmaar
- 18 Apr 11:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Van Dijk: "I don't want to move"
- 18 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan and Juventus for Tonny Vilhena
- 18 Apr 10:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Aluko
- 18 Apr 10:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From Germany: 36 million euros needed for Laporte
- 18 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN: Seedorf set to be fired, Inzaghi on the lead position
- 18 Apr 09:45 FRANCE/ O.M., 3 Premier League clubs keen on Romao
- 18 Apr 09:30 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Frey calls Fiorentina back
- 18 Apr 09:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, From Italy: Allegri will be the new Spurs manager
- 18 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, English youngster Kinsella about to sign his first pro contract
- 18 Apr 08:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Martins will leave Maritimo after the season ends
- 18 Apr 08:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, America MG sign Thiago Santos
- 18 Apr 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brown remains at Carlisle
- 18 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Season over for Alba
- 18 Apr 06:57 LILLE, Kjaer: "Honored by United's interest"
- 18 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Olic could renew for two years"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 18 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "I want to stay"
- 17 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ VERONA, Mission for Mangia
- 17 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht B. sign Gikiewicz
- 17 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Update on Seedorf
- 17 Apr 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Howard renews with Everton
- 17 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ INTER, Duel with Atletico for Hernandez
- 17 Apr 22:00 BELGIUM/ CHARLEROI, Salamone on trial
- 17 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ VERONA, New contract for Toni ready
- 17 Apr 21:17 FRANCE/ OL, Chantome to replace Gonalons
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Walter Mazzarri has picked 20 players for the trip to Parma in Week 34 of Serie A 2013/14. The match at the Stadio Ennio Tardini kicks off at...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Lille defender Simon Kjaer has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's an honor to hear about such a great club, but I...