REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayŕ will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayŕ's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayŕ going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayŕ's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 10 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We need no new players"
- 09 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "A new contract? If the club wants to.."
- 08 Jan 13:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was a bit tired"
- 08 Jan 09:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "Atletico played the long ball and used dirty tricks"
- 08 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, ter Stegen: "I want to succeed here"
- 07 Jan 15:54 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Messi? Things that go on in the dressing room stay there"
- 07 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No offers for Oliver Torres"
- 05 Jan 20:34 BARCELONA, Messi misses training with stomach illness
- 05 Jan 19:30 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "There is a lot left to play for in the league"
- 05 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I could move back to France"
- 04 Jan 07:29 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "The contract expiring is really not my problem"
- 03 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "My future is here"
- 01 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I want to end my career at River, but.."
- 31 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Bale won't leave"
- 30 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The new contract? No problem"
- 29 Dec 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "A couple of players could join"
- 31 Mar 11:40 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao: "Move to Man United would be 'an honour'"
- 31 Mar 11:32 FRANCE/ PSG, Trying to sign Andreas Pereira
- 31 Mar 11:24 FRANCE/ PSG, Lacazette the heir of Ibra
- 31 Mar 11:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Also Chelsea interested in Alex Song
- 31 Mar 11:06 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "We would never listen to any offers for Bale"
- 31 Mar 09:00 GERMANY/ HERTHA, Eyes on Yabo
- 31 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Two clubs after Zappacosta
- 31 Mar 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Jallet injured
- 31 Mar 06:59 BAYERN, Bernat: "I think Alaba will remain with us"
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "It's not time for me to leave"
- 30 Mar 23:27 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco sign Biancucchi
- 30 Mar 22:57 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Also Atletico after Firmino
- 30 Mar 22:29 ITALY/ GENOA, Lestienne intended to leave
- 30 Mar 21:59 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Idea Ismael Sosa
- 30 Mar 21:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Willems renews with Charleroi
- 30 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on Pastore
- 30 Mar 20:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Matulevicius
- 30 Mar 20:17 FRANCE/ OM, Auction for Gignac
- 30 Mar 19:59 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Auction for Bruma
- 30 Mar 19:39 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for Cerri
- 30 Mar 19:20 GERMANY/ 1. FC KOLN, Eyes on Marques
- 30 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Back for Neto
- 30 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos' renewal on stand-by
- 30 Mar 18:30 ITALY/ INTER, Podolski could leave.
- 30 Mar 18:21 ENGLAND/ WIGAN, Offer pro deals
- 30 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Barcelona want Bellerin back
- 30 Mar 17:48 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Vertonghen
- 30 Mar 17:36 ITALY/ TORINO, Duel to Empoli and Palermo on Viviani
- 30 Mar 17:24 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tracking Naismith
- 30 Mar 17:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy more and more likely to join Genoa back on loan
- 30 Mar 17:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter scouting Nabil Fekir
- 30 Mar 16:48 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Torosidis as a counterpart for signing Bruno Peres from Torino
- 30 Mar 16:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Tottenham on youngster Ben Kennedy
- 30 Mar 16:24 ITALY/ INTER, Palacio wants to stay
- 30 Mar 16:12 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Gross on target
- 30 Mar 16:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Pedro for sale: accepting offers over 20 million euros
- 30 Mar 15:48 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Mitrovic's agent: "Discussing on transfer market, but he might not leave"
- 30 Mar 15:36 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, 2 Serie A rivals towards Phibel
- 30 Mar 15:24 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka's renewal gets harder
- 30 Mar 15:12 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Dreaming of Oscar: attempt ready for Chelsea star
- 30 Mar 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma surveying Van Der Wiel
- 30 Mar 14:45 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Eyes on Camarasa
- 30 Mar 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back tracking Wanyama
- 30 Mar 14:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Keen on Glik
- 30 Mar 14:00 ITALY/ INTER, Handanovic's agent: "Negotiating on renewal, no talks with AS Roma"
- 30 Mar 13:45 FRANCE/ O.L., Umtiti offered to Atletico Madrid
- 30 Mar 13:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Steps forward towards Mavuba
- 30 Mar 13:16 BRAZIL/ INTERNACIONAL, Aranguiz: "Arsenal? That would be a dream"
Real Madrid full-back Fabio Coentrao has said it would "be an honour" to play for Manchester United.
He told Portuguese newspaper O Jogo: "I already showed that interest in playing there (at Manchester United). It's one of the best clubs in the world, a club
Interviewed by Rai, Fiorentina 29-year-old striker Mario Gomez has declared: "It's not time for me to leave Fiorentina, first I have to help
Interviewed by Globoesporte, Real Madrid 22-year-old midfielder Lucas Silva has declared about the possibility to be loaned to Porto: "I don'
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates has told Sky Sports News HQ: "There are some obvious things we want to do. We would like to extend Asmir Begovic
PSG Director of Football Dani Alves has declared about the imminent signing of 31-year-old right back Dani Alves: "He is a great player, as well
Bayern Munich 22-year-old left wingback Juan Bernat has declared about his team mate David Alaba, considered a target for Real Madrid: "I don'