REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 21 Jun 19:00 OFFICIAL - Agirretxe extends for Real Sociedad
- 14 Jun 19:21 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL - Eibar extend deal with Ramis
- 10 Jun 13:45 OFFICIAL - Bruno Gama joins Deportivo back from Dnipro
- 09 Jun 12:01 OFFICIAL - Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Espanyol manager
- 06 Jun 19:45 REAL MADRID - No Copa America for Keylor Navas: surgery scheduled
- 06 Jun 17:44 REAL MADRID, Kovacic: "I'm an Inter supporter, but never with Mancini again"
- 31 May 23:13 Stankovic: "I'm sorry for Simeone, but many congratulations to Real Madrid"
- 27 May 19:00 MALAGA, Juande Ramos is the new manager
- 27 May 09:58 REAL MADRID ask Unai Emery to wait until the Final
- 25 May 22:30 Barca, Vermaelen: "I have not played much but I will not go away"
- 17 May 22:30 Real Madrid, Varane: "In France an important stage of my career"
- 16 May 17:58 Barcelona, Dani Alves: "No matter what they say, we are the best in the world"
- 16 May 17:32 Riquelme: "There is no one like Messi . It must be protected"
- 15 May 09:52 LEVANTE - Ghilas set for a comeback to Porto
- 10 May 10:36 MALAGA - Atsu eager to stay in Spain
- 05 May 07:29 LEVANTE, Veteran captain Juanfran announces quitting
- 04 May 13:36 BARCELONA - Piqué: "I hope Inter and Milan come back soon"
- 01 May 21:25 LA LIGA - Full Time Scores
- 30 Apr 16:06 REAL MADRID - James offered to Juventus
- 30 Apr 15:35 LA LIGA - Real Betis Balón Pie VS FC Barcelona
- 30 Apr 14:03 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid VS Rayo Vallecano
- 30 Apr 13:09 LA LIGA - Real Sociedad VS Real Madrid
- 30 Apr 11:33 ATHLETIC BILBAO - San José: "I'm not leaving"
- 30 Apr 10:41 VALENCIA - Eyes on Meré
- 30 Apr 09:36 REAL SOCIEDAD - Target Emenike
- 30 Apr 09:02 ATELTICO MADRID - Godin to feature against Bayern
- 29 Apr 18:08 BARCELONA - The new whim of Neymar, who bought a plane for $9 million
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 28 Apr 14:10 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "The best goal of my career"
- 28 Apr 12:10 BARCELONA - Bartra to leave
- 28 Apr 11:54 REAL MADRID - Bumper bid for de Gea
- 28 Apr 11:19 BARCELONA - Preferential option on Saul Niguez
- 27 Apr 17:58 REAL MADRID - Ronaldo race for fitness ahead of CL clash
- 27 Apr 13:52 BARCELONA - Six defenders could leave
- 27 Apr 11:25 BARCELONA -Target Thiago Silva
- 27 Apr 11:14 VALENCIA - Try to appoint Prandelli
- 26 Apr 13:39 REAL SOCIEDAD - Inigo Martinez extends his contract
- 26 Apr 09:35 CHELSEA - Diego Costa makes surprise appearance in Madrid
- 24 Apr 21:25 LA LIGA - Villarreal 0 - 0 Real Sociedad - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 21:21 LA LIGA - Villareal 0-0 Real Sociedad
- 24 Apr 19:04 LA LIGA - Getafe 2-2 Valemcia (FT)
- 24 Apr 18:35 LA LIGA - Villareal FC vs Real Sociedad FC (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 18:05 LA LIGA- Getafe 0-0 Valencia (HT)
- 24 Apr 16:50 LA LIGA - Sevilla FC 2-0 Real Betis Balón Pie (FT)
- 24 Apr 16:33 LA LIGA - Getafe FC vs Valencia FC
- 24 Apr 14:35 LA LIGA - SEVILLA DERBY: Sevilla FC VS Real Betis Balón Pie (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 12:54 LA LIGA - Levante 2-2 Athletic (FT)
- 23 Apr 21:26 LA LIGA - FC Barcelona 6-0 Sporting Gijon (FT)
- 23 Apr 20:14 LA LIGA - Barcelona 1-0 Sporting de Gijón (Half Time)
- 23 Apr 19:26 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 1-0 Málaga (FT)
- 23 Apr 18:14 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 0-0 Málaga (half time)
- 23 Apr 17:00 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Full-time Report
- 23 Apr 16:46 REAL MADRID- Benzema injured: a doubt for Champions League semi-final
- 23 Apr 16:01 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Halftime Report
- 23 Apr 14:55 LA LIGA - Rayo Vallecano Vs Real Madrid Lineup
- 23 Apr 08:33 BILBAO - Iñigo Martinez as a replacement for Laporte
- 23 Apr 08:18 SEVILLA - Set to battle Inter for Feghouli
- 23 Apr 07:43 VALENCIA - Keen on Marco Asensio
- 22 Apr 19:42 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo, Casemiro and Carvajal missing for Rayo trip
- 22 Apr 19:25 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: I hope we have overcome the doldrums
- 22 Apr 14:29 REAL MADRID - Ramos will retire at Madrid
- 22 Apr 11:30 VALENCIA, Mustafi: "I'm fine here, but there are many offers for me"
- 21 Apr 14:09 BARCELONA - Neymar to miss the Copa America
- 20 Apr 22:55 LA LIGA / Real Madrid 3-0 Villareal
- 20 Apr 22:17 LA LIGA / Malaga 1-1 Rayo Vallecano (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA / Valencia 4-0 Eibar (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:03 LA LIGA / Athletic Club 0-1 Atletico Madrid (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:55 LA LIGA / Sporting Gijon 2-1 Sevilla (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:01 LA LIGA / Deportivo La Coruña 0-8 FC Barcelona (Ended)
- 20 Apr 20:49 LA LIGA / Valencia 3-0 Eibar (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:39 LA LIGA / Athletic 0-1 Atletico de Madrid (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:38 LA LIGA - Real Madrid - Villareal Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:41 LA LIGA - Valencia - Eibar Line
- 20 Apr 19:30 LA LIGA - Málaga - Rayo Vallecano Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:18 LA LIGA - Sporting Gijon - Sevilla Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:09 LA LIGA - Athletic - Atletico Madrid lineup
- 20 Apr 18:26 LA LIGA - Deportivo La Coruña - FC Barcelona lineup
- 20 Apr 11:46 BARCELONA - Hummels not for sale
- 19 Apr 21:44 Espanyol v Celta Vigo 1-1 / Real Betis v Las Palmas 1-0
- 19 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Neymar focused on turning Barca around"
- 19 Apr 15:51 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin: Great relationship with Suarez
- 19 Apr 15:33 REAL MADRID - Gareth Bale and Carvajal will not be against Villareal
- 19 Apr 12:56 Barcelona, Atletico or Real: Who has the toughest run in?
- 15 Apr 17:37 BARCELONA - Dani Alves makes light of Barcelona's European exit
- 14 Apr 14:54 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We never stopped believing"
- 13 Apr 09:10 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Blancos for Champions League and La Liga double"
- 12 Apr 18:09 REAL MADRID, Modric: "We can go through thanks to our supporters"
- 12 Apr 11:49 UCL/BARCELONA - Barca pair to miss Champions League tie
- 11 Apr 10:29 EUROPA LEAGUE - Nolito ‘Celta practically in Europe, but...’
- 10 Apr 22:15 LA LIGA - Full time: Athletic Bilbao 1 - Rayo Vallecano
- 10 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA - Full time: Villarreal 2 - 0 Getafe
- 10 Apr 22:08 LA LIGA - Full time: Valencia 2 - 1 Sevilla
- 10 Apr 22:04 LA LIGA - Full time: Sporting Gijon 0 - 1 Celta Vigo
- 10 Apr 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID target BENFICA's Gaitan
- 09 Apr 21:52 LA LIGA - Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 07:26 SEVILLA - Emery: "A moderate joy, we still got 90 minutes to play"
- 08 Apr 06:49 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Aduriz: "We can do a come back in the second leg"
- 07 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Xavi: "I want to coach Barcelona"
- 07 Apr 09:04 REAL MADRID - Benzema injured against Wolfsburg
Rumoured with a possible return to Italy for a long time, Moroccan international centre-back Medhi Benatia (29) might be indeed leaving Bayern Munich during current summer transfer market session, after two seasons spent playing for Bavarian giants. Asked about such a c
After a remarkable seasonal performance at Empoli, Liechtensteiner international central midfielder Marcel Büchel (25) has been of
Playing for Real Sociedad since the beginning of his professional career, Spanish striker Imanol Agirretxe (29) had his own deal with Basque club
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
French broadcast InfoSportPlus, as reported below, posted a tweet including Olympique Lyon owner Jean-Michel Aulas' latest statements, regard
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici