REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 14 Apr 19:16 SPAIN, Puyol: "To play or to coach? I do not rule out any option"
- 14 Apr 18:48 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Atletico are undisputed favourites - not Real"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are in talks for Alves' new deal"
- 10 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 09 Apr 12:24 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique about Xavi: "I want him to stay and help us"
- 09 Apr 06:20 VALENCIA, André Gomes: "Chelsea? I am happy here"
- 07 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Miranda: "I am staying here"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Xavi can stay, if he wants"
- 05 Apr 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We need new players"
- 04 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Would I rejoin Milan? Of course"
- 03 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, unconcerned by Messi injury
- 02 Apr 14:44 REAL MADRID, Roberto Carlos: "Danilo will succeed in getting under the spotlight"
- 02 Apr 13:31 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "It would be a dream come true to play alongside Messi"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayà will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayà's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayà going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayà's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 19 Apr 05:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID: Duel to Arsenal, PSG and City on Reus
- 19 Apr 04:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Renewal for Glik on arrival
- 19 Apr 03:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Duel to Liverpool on Rui Patricio
- 19 Apr 02:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, 11 million euros needed for purchasing Van Ginkel from Chelsea
- 19 Apr 01:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Price is set on Benteke
- 19 Apr 00:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Crazy suggestion for Isco
- 18 Apr 23:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Crystal Palace keen on Viviano
- 18 Apr 22:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Tevez's agent: "He'll join Boca Juniors back in 2016"
- 18 Apr 21:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas might join Celta Vigo back
- 18 Apr 20:00 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Retirement or adventure abroad for captain Conti
- 18 Apr 19:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, More and more determined to sign Higuain
- 18 Apr 18:00 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Enyeama as a main target
- 18 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ INTER, Iago Falqué on target
- 18 Apr 16:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Cofie on target
- 18 Apr 15:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Stark on target
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Babacar's renewal on arrival: sums and numbers
- 18 Apr 12:00 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Solbakken extends as Copenhagen manager
- 18 Apr 11:00 AUSTRIA/ AUSTRIA WIEN, Lead on Frahn
- 18 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Eyes on Monachello
- 18 Apr 09:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Still keen on Garcia
- 18 Apr 08:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Milito is Estudiantes new coach
- 18 Apr 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi about to come back
- 18 Apr 07:27 LILLE, Mavuba: "If I would remain in France.."
- 18 Apr 06:59 BORUSSIA D. Watzke: "Klopp successor will be German"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 18 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "Saint-Etienne are after him"
- 17 Apr 23:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Klopp the main option for the bench
- 17 Apr 22:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Back for Higuain
- 17 Apr 22:29 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Sprint for Laporte
- 17 Apr 21:59 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Interest for Diomandé
- 17 Apr 21:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, More suitors for Carrillo
- 17 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Agreement with Bruno Peres
- 17 Apr 20:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Trasch renews with Wolfsburg
- 17 Apr 20:17 ITALY/ INTER, Mission for Vida
- 17 Apr 19:59 FRANCE/ NICE, Pouplin could renew
- 17 Apr 19:39 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Mihajlovic the main option for the bench
- 17 Apr 19:20 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Interest for Tarantini
- 17 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Montella: "Babacar renewal? I'm happy for him"
- 17 Apr 18:43 INTER, Shaqiri: "We want to win the derby in a Nerazzurri Meazza"
- 17 Apr 18:27 FRANCE/ LILLE, Mavuba could leave
- 17 Apr 18:13 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER, Villarreal observing Mahrez
- 17 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Duel to AC Milan and Schalke 04 on Soriano
- 17 Apr 17:45 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Jenkinson: "I want to stay, but that will be up to Arsenal"
- 17 Apr 17:30 SWITZERLAND/ FC ZURICH, Suitors for Schonbachler increasing
- 17 Apr 17:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "20 million pounds needed for purchasing Bolasie"
- 17 Apr 17:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal wants Pjanic as well as Strootman
- 17 Apr 16:48 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Muto on target
- 17 Apr 16:36 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Mavrias might end up staying at Panathinaikos
According to Daily Star, German international winger and forward Marco Reus (25) is getting more and more inclined to leave Borussia Dortmund next summer, especially since his mentor Jurgen Klopp won't most probably be Bundesliga side manager anymore. Currently on a deal with
Interviewed by Lalaziosiamonoi.it, Antonio Caliendo, agent of Lazio midfielder Ederson, has declared: "His current situation is not the one that
Rob Witschge, agent of Celta de Vigo 31-year-old winger Michael Krohn-Dehli, has declared: "I can't comment the rumors regarding Sevilla, all
Playing for Arsenal since 2011/12, 33 years old Spanish playmaking midfielder MIkel Arteta, current captain of Gunners, talked about his situation and
OL forward Alexandre Lacazette has declared: "I have some oppurtunities to move abroad, but it's too early to talk about it. In any case, I w
Borussia Dortmund General Manager Hans-Joachim Watzke has declared: "Who will replace Jurgen Klopp? For sure it won't be a Zweite Liga coach,