REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Aug 14:16 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I'll never forget this year"
- 22 Aug 21:00 OFFICIAL - Nicolas Pareja extends for SEVILLE
- 19 Aug 07:36 OFFICIAL - SPORTING GIJON extend Abelardo Fernandez's deal until 2020
- 17 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - GRANADA loan Leganés Venezuelan striker Machís
- 17 Aug 15:03 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "James will be staying here, I'm happy with him"
- 17 Aug 09:03 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA sign Mario Suarez
- 16 Aug 21:00 FC SEVILLE - New long-term contract offered to VITOLO
- 14 Aug 21:51 REAL MADRID youngster Odegaard set for loan move to RENNES
- 14 Aug 15:50 REAL MADRID star Ronaldo set to extend contract
- 12 Aug 11:33 VILLARREAL to bid for MILAN striker Matri after Soldado's injury
- 11 Aug 17:27 OFFICIAL - Fran Escribá is the new VILLARREAL manager
- 10 Aug 22:45 BREAKING NEWS - OFFICIAL - VILLAREAL sack Marcelino
- 10 Aug 21:27 OFFICIAL - Demichelis joins ESPANYOL
- 10 Aug 13:20 CELTA VIGO to sign Diego Lopez on a free transfer
- 10 Aug 08:42 BAYER LEVERKUSEN - Chicharito Hernandez: "My future? Never say never"
- 09 Aug 16:16 SEVILLA - Sampaoli relishes Super Cup debut against Real (video)
- 07 Aug 12:19 OFFICIAL - VILLAREAL sign Sansone
- 06 Aug 14:54 REAL MADRID to let Isco leave this summer
- 05 Aug 19:00 REAL MADRID - ZIDANE's salary will be doubled
- 04 Aug 12:44 VIDEO - REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There will never be another Cristiano"
- 03 Aug 16:22 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We are in talks with a Premier League club for LLORENTE". SWANSEA ready to sign him
- 03 Aug 12:30 REAL MADRID - Zidane wants James Rodriguez to stay
- 01 Aug 20:02 SEVILLA - Chus Llorente: "Fernando will continue at Sevilla"
- 28 Jul 13:16 BARCELONA - El Haddadi is wanted by Real Sociedad
- 28 Jul 10:00 BARCELONA target Perez
- 27 Jul 20:01 BARCELONA - Gomes: "I hope to enjoy and win many titles"
- 27 Jul 15:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu about André Gomes: "Very happy to have you with us"
- 27 Jul 11:00 BARCELONA - The presentation of André Gomes
- 26 Jul 19:00 BARCELONA, Munir: "I'd like to play a little 'more this year"
- 26 Jul 18:00 SIVIGLIA - Kevin Gameiro wants Atletico Madrid
- 25 Jul 18:06 VILLARREAL sign Jose Angel
- 25 Jul 17:07 VILLARREAL sign Andres Fernandez
- 25 Jul 16:06 ATLETICO MADRID - Cerezo: "Vietto is an Atletico player "
- 21 Jul 15:35 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: "I want a quick number 9, a top scorer"
- 21 Jul 14:44 REAL MADRID - Morata: "Incredible to be here again. I can't wait to get started"
- 21 Jul 12:00 REAL MADRID train in Montreal
- 20 Jul 16:02 BARCELLONA - Adriano joins pre-season, but Tello doesn't
- 20 Jul 11:00 REAL MADRID - Kovacic to leave on loan
- 19 Jul 17:33 BARCELONA close to signing Sergi Samper
- 16 Jul 18:34 BARCELONA want Sergi Samper to sign a new deal
- 14 Jul 13:03 SEVILLA - Ganso move to Europe
- 13 Jul 13:18 REAL MADRID - Jese wants to stay
- 13 Jul 11:16 BARCELONA closing in on the signing of PSG defender Digne
- 13 Jul 09:55 BARCELONA -Umtiti to be officially presented Friday
- 11 Jul 19:23 REAL MADRID - Vallejo to join Frankfurt
- 07 Jul 17:16 OFFICIAL -Sporting Gijon, from Real Madrid arrives Burgui
- 07 Jul 17:00 OFFICIAL - MALAGA sign Santos
- 07 Jul 11:05 O. LYON sign Mammana from River Plate
- 05 Jul 23:00 OFFICIAL - Ricardo Costa resigns from Granada
- 30 Jun 16:30 FC SEVILLE, Castro: "Krychowiak might join PSG. We are in talks with Kranevitter, Mesa and Ganso"
- 28 Jun 13:26 OFFICIAL - Bonera and Rukavina extend for VILLARREAL
- 21 Jun 19:00 OFFICIAL - Agirretxe extends for Real Sociedad
- 14 Jun 19:21 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL - Eibar extend deal with Ramis
- 10 Jun 13:45 OFFICIAL - Bruno Gama joins Deportivo back from Dnipro
- 09 Jun 12:01 OFFICIAL - Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Espanyol manager
- 06 Jun 19:45 REAL MADRID - No Copa America for Keylor Navas: surgery scheduled
- 06 Jun 17:44 REAL MADRID, Kovacic: "I'm an Inter supporter, but never with Mancini again"
- 31 May 23:13 Stankovic: "I'm sorry for Simeone, but many congratulations to Real Madrid"
- 27 May 19:00 MALAGA, Juande Ramos is the new manager
- 27 May 09:58 REAL MADRID ask Unai Emery to wait until the Final
- 25 May 22:30 Barca, Vermaelen: "I have not played much but I will not go away"
- 17 May 22:30 Real Madrid, Varane: "In France an important stage of my career"
- 16 May 17:58 Barcelona, Dani Alves: "No matter what they say, we are the best in the world"
- 16 May 17:32 Riquelme: "There is no one like Messi . It must be protected"
- 15 May 09:52 LEVANTE - Ghilas set for a comeback to Porto
- 10 May 10:36 MALAGA - Atsu eager to stay in Spain
- 05 May 07:29 LEVANTE, Veteran captain Juanfran announces quitting
- 04 May 13:36 BARCELONA - Piqué: "I hope Inter and Milan come back soon"
- 01 May 21:25 LA LIGA - Full Time Scores
- 30 Apr 16:06 REAL MADRID - James offered to Juventus
- 30 Apr 15:35 LA LIGA - Real Betis Balón Pie VS FC Barcelona
- 30 Apr 14:03 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid VS Rayo Vallecano
- 30 Apr 13:09 LA LIGA - Real Sociedad VS Real Madrid
- 30 Apr 11:33 ATHLETIC BILBAO - San José: "I'm not leaving"
- 30 Apr 10:41 VALENCIA - Eyes on Meré
- 30 Apr 09:36 REAL SOCIEDAD - Target Emenike
- 30 Apr 09:02 ATELTICO MADRID - Godin to feature against Bayern
- 29 Apr 18:08 BARCELONA - The new whim of Neymar, who bought a plane for $9 million
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 28 Apr 14:10 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "The best goal of my career"
- 28 Apr 12:10 BARCELONA - Bartra to leave
- 28 Apr 11:54 REAL MADRID - Bumper bid for de Gea
- 28 Apr 11:19 BARCELONA - Preferential option on Saul Niguez
- 27 Apr 17:58 REAL MADRID - Ronaldo race for fitness ahead of CL clash
- 27 Apr 13:52 BARCELONA - Six defenders could leave
- 27 Apr 11:25 BARCELONA -Target Thiago Silva
- 27 Apr 11:14 VALENCIA - Try to appoint Prandelli
- 26 Apr 13:39 REAL SOCIEDAD - Inigo Martinez extends his contract
- 26 Apr 09:35 CHELSEA - Diego Costa makes surprise appearance in Madrid
- 24 Apr 21:25 LA LIGA - Villarreal 0 - 0 Real Sociedad - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 21:21 LA LIGA - Villareal 0-0 Real Sociedad
- 24 Apr 19:04 LA LIGA - Getafe 2-2 Valemcia (FT)
- 24 Apr 18:35 LA LIGA - Villareal FC vs Real Sociedad FC (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 18:05 LA LIGA- Getafe 0-0 Valencia (HT)
- 24 Apr 16:50 LA LIGA - Sevilla FC 2-0 Real Betis Balón Pie (FT)
- 24 Apr 16:33 LA LIGA - Getafe FC vs Valencia FC
- 24 Apr 14:35 LA LIGA - SEVILLA DERBY: Sevilla FC VS Real Betis Balón Pie (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 12:54 LA LIGA - Levante 2-2 Athletic (FT)
- 23 Apr 21:26 LA LIGA - FC Barcelona 6-0 Sporting Gijon (FT)
Interviewed by France Football, French-Malian right-back Djibril Sidibé (24), who joined AS Monaco from Lille little less than a month ago, revealed:
"Before I decided to accept Monaco offer, I was approached by Arsenal, whose management submitted me a pr
After a long negotiation, Sampdoria announced having signed Belgian Under-21 international attacking midfielder Dennis Praet (22). According to latest
Gareth Bale says he will never forget 2016, after the Wales international tasted both club and international success. The attacker helped Real to Cham
Interviewed by Sport Bild, German international midfielder/winger Bastian Schweinsteiger (32), asked about the chance for him to leave Red Devils, tho
Interviewed by France Football, French-Malian right-back Djibril Sidibé (24), who joined AS Monaco from Lille little less than a mont
Playing for Tottenham just since last season and currently on a deal with Spurs until June 2020, South Korean international winger/forward&n