REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reserve the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayà going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayà's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 10 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We need no new players"
- 09 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "A new contract? If the club wants to.."
- 08 Jan 13:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was a bit tired"
- 08 Jan 09:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "Atletico played the long ball and used dirty tricks"
- 08 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, ter Stegen: "I want to succeed here"
- 07 Jan 15:54 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Messi? Things that go on in the dressing room stay there"
- 07 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No offers for Oliver Torres"
- 05 Jan 20:34 BARCELONA, Messi misses training with stomach illness
- 05 Jan 19:30 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "There is a lot left to play for in the league"
- 05 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I could move back to France"
- 04 Jan 07:29 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "The contract expiring is really not my problem"
- 03 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "My future is here"
- 01 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I want to end my career at River, but.."
- 31 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Bale won't leave"
- 30 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The new contract? No problem"
- 29 Dec 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "A couple of players could join"
- 28 Dec 06:30 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "He will end his career here"
- 25 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar's agent: "Ready to sign the new contract"
- 24 Dec 06:29 ATLETICO, Burgos: "Torres back? It would be great"
- 23 Dec 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "I have no intention to leave"
- 22 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I'm not worried about the renewal"
- 21 Dec 06:30 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "We want Montoya to stay"
- 20 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "I am not thinking about the transfer market"
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 18 Dec 06:59 BARCELONA FC, Xavi: "We want to win all this year. I'm still excited as at the start of my career"
- 17 Dec 18:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to be like Guardiola"
- 17 Dec 00:15 REAL MADRID, Jese: "You better take cover when Ancelotti gets angry"
- 16 Dec 19:39 LIGA SCANDAL, United's Ander Herrera denies match-fixing claims
- 16 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Recio: "I want to spend my career here"
- 15 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I am not worried about my new contract"
- 12 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The transfer market? It depends from the injuries"
- 11 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Montoya away? We admire him"
- 08 Dec 06:29 GRANADA, Nyom: "Honored by Barcelona interest"
- 07 Dec 06:30 ESPANYOL, Héctor Moreno: "I want to play for a top club"
- 06 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "In January he will leave"
- 05 Dec 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to remain for many years"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti must stay with us for a long time"
- 03 Dec 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 02 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Asensio won't join in January"
- 01 Dec 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I admire Pogba"
- 30 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I am not seeking a defender"
- 29 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mathieu: "We'll see if the club will sign another center back"
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Simeone has a contract and is happy"
- 27 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Cerci away? Ask our Sporting Director"
- 26 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Bitolo: "Honored by Napoli's interest, but.."
- 24 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy here"
- 23 Nov 06:30 ATLETICO M. Cerezo: "We are not thinking about selling Jimenez"
- 22 Nov 06:29 ATLETICO M., Moyà: "Oblak is our future"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 20 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to renew"
- 19 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Krychowiak"
- 18 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Napoli never made an offer"
- 17 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Just rumors about Simeone"
- 16 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like to play in England, but.."
- 15 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA FC, Monchi: "No offers for Vitolo"
- 14 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I had many offers from England, but.."
- 26 Feb 20:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Aubameyang: duel against Inter
- 26 Feb 19:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester city loan out Liam Moore
- 26 Feb 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Keen on Abdennour
- 26 Feb 19:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Eto'o might be already leaving Sampdoria in June
- 26 Feb 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Motta joins Watford
- 26 Feb 18:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores resigns from Getafe
- 26 Feb 18:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Busquets renews for Barcelona FC
- 26 Feb 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Gutierrez set for return after winning cancer battle
- 26 Feb 18:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Sherwood says he needs more time
- 26 Feb 17:42 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Glenn Staying put
- 26 Feb 17:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Heldt's move for blazing out Arsenal and Dortmund on Khedira
- 26 Feb 17:15 SPAIN/ REAL SOCIEDAD, Willing to sign Oviedo
- 26 Feb 16:57 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Keylor Navas on target
- 26 Feb 16:34 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Piszczek the first name if Dani Alves leaves
- 26 Feb 16:18 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro: "Marseille? I don't think so"
- 26 Feb 15:58 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Granada: Fran Rico extends until 2020
- 26 Feb 15:42 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Thinking about Yann M'Vila
- 26 Feb 15:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Pastore could extend his deal
- 26 Feb 15:14 ITALY/ INTER, Aubameyang's agent: Appreciated by Ausilio"
- 26 Feb 15:02 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D, Scout observing Meunier
- 26 Feb 14:44 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man Utd to tie down Blackett
- 26 Feb 13:42 INDONESIA/ OFFICIAL, Kader Keita joins Persib Bandung
- 26 Feb 12:41 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Chongqing Lifan sign Gigliotti
- 26 Feb 11:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham: Noble signs extended deal
- 26 Feb 10:43 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, disastrous display against Monaco
- 26 Feb 10:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING L., Nani seeks United Return
- 26 Feb 10:05 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Blackett renewal is close
- 26 Feb 09:02 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Renewal negotiations for Zambrano reopened
- 26 Feb 08:00 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Jordi Xumetra possibly leaving next summer
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 06:27 AS MONACO, Ferreira Carrasco on triumph over Arsenal: "Now we've got a lot of chances"
- 26 Feb 05:57 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mario Rui on target
- 26 Feb 05:39 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Majestic offer for Koke
- 26 Feb 05:19 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Valdifiori's agent: "It's good to have drawn interest towards AC Milan"
- 26 Feb 05:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY: Duel to Arsenal, Everton and Spurs for Donsah
- 26 Feb 04:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Andreas Pereira: "I talked to Pogba and he suggested me to join Juventus"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reserve the outcome at Calderon"
- 26 Feb 03:27 NORWAY/ SOGNDAL, Otoo: "I know WBA are keen on me"
- 26 Feb 02:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Antonini more and more likely to resign
- 26 Feb 02:39 BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Schmidt: "We showed the top of maturity and mentality"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 26 Feb 02:00 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Eyes on Mijailovic
- 26 Feb 01:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Jazz Richards plays for Fulham until the end of current season
- 26 Feb 00:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Cigarini's agent: "He loves Atalanta. His future? We'll see next June"
- 25 Feb 23:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Frapper is thw new Valenciennes manager
- 25 Feb 22:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Odegaard could be loaned out
- 25 Feb 21:27 ITALY/ INTER, Eyes on Tabanou
- 25 Feb 20:57 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Pato the main target
- 25 Feb 20:29 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Eyes on Pozo
- 25 Feb 19:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sammir quits Getafe
Inclined to renew a lot of their roster, after probable Champions League complete failure following yesterday Emirates fiasco suffered against AS Monaco, Arsenal management, while Arsène Wenger might leave after almost 20 years as Gunners main strategist, are weighing up t
Despite drawing first blood with this evening’s 2-1 win at Juventus Stadium, Carlos Tevez insists the Champions League last 16 tie with Borussia
Atletico Madrid playmaking midfielder and captain Gabi commented upon Colchoneros defeat against Bayer Leverkusen at BayArena in Champions League eigh
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger talked about troubles coming from 1-3 home defeat against AS Monaco: "Congratulations to Monaco, they had a
Interviewed by Sky Sport after the 3-1 victory against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium, AS Monaco winger Yannick Ferreira Carrasco, scorer of one of Frenc
Interviewed after 1-0 victory over Atletico Madrid in Champions League eighth finals first leg game, Bayer Leverkusen manager Roger Schmidt commented: