REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 19 Aug 01:14 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign MURILLO and GABRIEL PAULISTA
- 18 Aug 19:51 OFFICIAL - Girona sign "Larry" KAYODE from Man. City
- 17 Aug 09:40 CELTA VIGO keen on AS Roma departee ITURBE
- 16 Aug 22:10 OFFICIAL - Kevin-Prince BOATENG resigns from Las Palmas
- 16 Aug 21:29 OFFICIAL - Levante sign LUKIC and Emmanuel BOATENG
- 16 Aug 13:33 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign JAVI GARCIA from Zenit
- 14 Aug 15:56 LAS PALMAS closer and closer to CRISETIG
- 13 Aug 05:21 LAS PALMAS turning to another Inter Milan young forward
- 11 Aug 22:04 OFFICIAL - Girona sign MUNIESA on loan from Stoke City
- 11 Aug 17:13 MALAGA keen on Paolo GUERRERO
- 11 Aug 14:22 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign NALDO
- 10 Aug 22:16 OFFICIAL - Deportivo La Coruña, Adrian LOPEZ undergoing medical for joining back
- 10 Aug 19:23 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign Amath NDIAYE from Atletico Madrid
- 09 Aug 12:04 REAL MADRID - Ramos about Super Cup: "We were superior for almost all of the game"
- 09 Aug 10:30 REAL MADRID -Perez: "Bale leaving? I'm not even considering it"
- 08 Aug 16:21 REAL BETIS - Ryad BOUDEBOUZ undergoing medical: 4-year deal ready
- 08 Aug 12:12 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign Ezequiel MUNOZ from Genoa
- 07 Aug 14:47 BARCELONA -Bartomeu on Neymar exit: "No player is bigger than Barca"
- 03 Aug 19:39 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign Emiliano MARTINEZ on loan from Arsenal
- 02 Aug 18:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Malaga get closer to Italian midfielder CRISETIG
- 02 Aug 14:00 BARCELONA revealing Neymar has asked to leave the club
- 01 Aug 23:27 LAS PALMAS - Two top Italian suitors for Mauricio LEMOS
- 01 Aug 22:01 OFFICIAL - Girona sign two players from Man. City
- 01 Aug 09:32 REAL BETIS - Ryad BOUDEBOUZ about to join
- 28 Jul 22:05 SEVILLA FC enquire Independiente about TAGLIAFICO
- 27 Jul 22:55 REAL BETIS approaching Gastón RAMIREZ
- 27 Jul 20:57 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign Argentinian playmaker CECCHINI
- 26 Jul 21:01 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign VELAZQUEZ on loan from Atletico Madrid
- 25 Jul 19:02 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign FEDDAL from Alavés
- 23 Jul 09:06 OFFICIAL - Getafe sign Vitorino ANTUNES and three other players
- 23 Jul 04:52 OFFICIAL - Uruguayan international forward STUANI joins Liga greenhorns Girona
- 21 Jul 15:05 OFFICIAL - Deportivo La Coruña sign SCHAR from Hoffenheim
- 21 Jul 09:10 ATLETICO MADRID - 3 Italian suitors for VIETTO
- 17 Jul 23:31 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign Paulo OLIVEIRA from Sporting Lisbon
- 15 Jul 14:20 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Mario HERMOSO
- 14 Jul 17:33 OFFICIAL - Atletico Madrid sign VITOLO and loan him to Las Palmas
- 13 Jul 22:42 OFFICIAL - Villarreal sign BAKAMBU on a new contract
- 13 Jul 17:44 OFFICIAL - Deportivo La Coruña sign Carles GIL and Gerard VALENTIN
- 12 Jul 14:51 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign MAURO Dos Santos from Eibar
- 12 Jul 11:55 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign CALLERI and TOLEDO
- 10 Jul 21:04 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC sign MURIEL and Guido PIZARRO
- 08 Jul 18:55 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign GRANERO
- 07 Jul 19:28 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign Javi JIMENEZ on a new deal
- 07 Jul 13:19 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign Antonio Barragán
- 07 Jul 09:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Real Betis, done for GUARDADO
- 06 Jul 23:25 ESPANYOL about to sign Esteban GRANERO
- 06 Jul 13:42 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign young goalie PEDRO LOPEZ on new deal
- 06 Jul 10:11 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign ROBERTO Jimenez and Borja Baston
- 05 Jul 12:59 OFFICIAL - Malaga sign goalie PRIETO from Espanyol for second squad
- 05 Jul 11:31 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo buy JOZABED back from Fulham
- 05 Jul 10:03 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign CHARLES Dias
- 04 Jul 19:40 GETAFE - Eyes on AC Milan departee VANGIONI
- 03 Jul 21:23 OFFICIAL - Manuel Marquez Roca is the new Las Palmas manager
- 02 Jul 19:22 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign TELLO and extend with Nacho Gonzalez
- 02 Jul 05:09 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign homegroomed goalie LIZOAIN on new deal
- 23 Jun 23:25 LAS PALMAS - An Italian top club keen on LEMOS-MESA duo
- 23 Jun 14:47 CELTA VIGO - An Italian top suitor for JONNY Castro
- 19 Jun 21:11 OFFICIAL - Leganés buy SIOVAS back from Olympiakos
- 16 Jun 11:16 OFFICIAL - Sergio GARCIA joins Espanyol back
- 14 Jun 18:54 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Leo BAPTISTAO from Atletico Madrid on a full basis
- 11 Jun 16:26 OFFICIAL - Levante sign Antonio LUNA
- 09 Jun 20:36 OFFICIAL - Metz sign BALLIU on new contract
- 09 Jun 18:32 OFFICIAL - Real Betis sign 2001-born talent GONZALEZ on new deal
- 09 Jun 09:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Leganés, VERDE might join from AS Roma
- 08 Jun 23:27 MALAGA keen on Sevilla second-liner Marc GUAL
- 07 Jun 16:37 LAS PALMAS - From Spain: done for GABIGOL
- 06 Jun 19:51 OFFICIAL - Eibar sign veteran Iván RAMIS on new deal
- 06 Jun 09:04 CELTA VIGO - Eyes on Antonio LUNA
- 05 Jun 21:00 OFFICIAL - Leganés sign Raul GARCIA from Alavés
- 04 Jun 11:41 OFFICIAL - Gorka ELUSTONDO leaves Athletic Bilbao as a free agent
- 04 Jun 04:26 REAL SOCIEDAD planning to sign Diego LLORENTE from Real Madrid
- 01 Jun 19:48 LAS PALMAS - Eyes on Mexican goalie OCHOA
- 31 May 21:48 OFFICIAL - Villarreal sign ENES UNAL from City on a full basis
- 29 May 17:33 OFFICIAL - Deportivo Alavés sign Rubén DUARTE from Espanyol
- 29 May 16:55 OFFICIAL - 4 players leave Athletic Bilbao
- 28 May 19:24 LAS PALMAS interested in signing GABIGOL on loan from Inter Milan
- 25 May 09:49 OFFICIAL - Athletic Bilbao, internal solution: Ziganda is the new manager
- 24 May 16:20 OSASUNA - 2 top suitors for Alex BERENGUER
- 24 May 11:21 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA - An Italian suitor (and a Portuguese one) for ANDONE
- 24 May 08:47 OFFICIAL - Espanyol sign Diego LOPEZ on a full basis. Pipa's deal extended, José Reyes leaves for good
- 23 May 14:53 OFFICIAL - Celta Vigo sign Uruguayan wonderkid MAXI GOMEZ
- 22 May 08:37 LEGANES - Eyes on Genoa departee COFIE
- 21 May 04:50 DEPORTIVO ALAVES - 3 Serie A suitors for Daniel TORRES
- 18 May 12:49 OFFICIAL - Las Palmas sign Kevin-Prince BOATENG on a new contract
- 17 May 19:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Celta Vigo agree 4-year deal with Uruguayan wonderkid Maxi GOMEZ
- 17 May 10:17 OFFICIAL - Betis extend deal with PEZZELLA
- 16 May 08:14 MALAGA, Demichelis announces quitting: "I lost the leg strength needed"
- 15 May 23:13 REAL BETIS, Ceballos: "My future is still here"
- 12 May 22:33 OFFICIAL - Real Sociedad, captain MIKEL Gonzalez says farewell. New deal for Raul Navas
- 12 May 15:26 OFFICIAL - Sevilla FC buy ONDOA back from Tarragona
- 11 May 17:02 OFFICIAL - Marcelino is the new Valencia manager
- 10 May 22:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Las Palmas target AS Roma loanee ITURBE
- 10 May 15:15 OFFICIAL - Betis sack Sanchez del Amo. Trujillo is caretaking
- 09 May 21:49 SEVILLA FC - 5 top suitors for VITOLO
- 09 May 10:16 SEVILLA FC, director Arias: "Nothing true about KEITA joining us"
- 08 May 13:28 ATLETICO MADRID loanee Theo HERNANDEZ's agent: "Real and Barça want him"
- 06 May 21:23 MALAGA, Camacho: "Making me leave would be hard"
- 05 May 23:24 SPORTING GIJON - 2 German suitors for Jorge Meré
- 29 Apr 21:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sevilla FC eyeing AC Milan's LAPADULA
- 27 Apr 21:49 CELTA VIGO about to sign Serbian midfielder RADOJA on a new deal
- 20 Aug 00:04 OFFICIAL - Juventus sign MATUIDI from PSG. All the details
- 19 Aug 21:26 OFFICIAL - West Ham extend deal with club veteran Winston REID
- 19 Aug 18:37 CHELSEA about to bid again for CANDREVA
- 19 Aug 15:55 INTER MILAN agree new deal wit PERISIC, in the end
- 19 Aug 12:07 CHIEVO VERONA challenge Udinese on ZAMPANO
- 19 Aug 08:43 ARSENAL planning a surprise attempt for Ross BARKLEY
- 19 Aug 05:25 JUVENTUS, Sturaro's agent: "A lot of clubs willing to sign him on loan"
- 19 Aug 02:52 BURNLEY enquire Napoli about PAVOLETTI
- 19 Aug 01:22 BREAKING NEWS - Nikola KALINIC to undergo medical for AC Milan
- 19 Aug 01:14 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign MURILLO and GABRIEL PAULISTA
- 19 Aug 00:59 OFFICIAL - Tottenham sign DAVINSON Sanchez
- 19 Aug 00:04 REAL MADRID again on DE GEA: planning a last-minute sensational attempt
- 18 Aug 23:26 RENNES - Duel to Bursaspor on Bologna full-back MBAYE
- 18 Aug 22:43 SPORTING LISBON announcing GABIGOL joining on Monday
- 18 Aug 21:59 CRYSTAL PALACE, De Boer: "We are tracking Leipzig's Oliver BURKE"
- 18 Aug 21:17 CHELSEA back for CEDRIC Soares. Saints turn down Stamford Bridge entrance bid
- 18 Aug 20:33 SHANGHAI SHENHUA fans pushing TEVEZ towards Boca Juniors comeback
- 18 Aug 19:51 OFFICIAL - Girona sign "Larry" KAYODE from Man. City
- 18 Aug 19:11 ARSENAL turn down Inter Milan on MUSTAFI
- 18 Aug 18:30 TOTTENHAM - A new suitor for Kevin WIMMER
- 18 Aug 17:48 WBA turn down Manchester City on Jonny EVANS
- 18 Aug 17:12 HAMBURG turning down Wolfsurg on JATTA
- 18 Aug 16:27 REAL MADRID, Asensio: "PSG? No, thanks, I already am where I want to be"
- 18 Aug 15:44 RB LEIPZIG tracking Leverkusen main man KAMPL
- 18 Aug 15:22 OFFICIAL - Kevin-Prince BOATENG joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 18 Aug 15:00 WEST HAM in talks with Sporting Lisbon on William CARVALHO
- 18 Aug 14:18 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "We like Demarai GRAY, but..."
- 18 Aug 13:35 EVERTON, Koeman: "Diego COSTA joining us? Why not?"
- 18 Aug 12:58 SWANSEA CITY approaching Burnley target CLUCAS
- 18 Aug 12:17 WEST HAM, Bilic on LANZINI: "He is happy here. You can see it from how he smiles"
- 18 Aug 11:33 SPARTAK MOSCOW turning to JUAN JESUS if Garay doesn't join in
- 18 Aug 10:58 VALENCIA - Done for Gabriel PAULISTA from Arsenal
- 18 Aug 10:29 OFFICIAL - Yassine EL GHANASSY joins Nantes
- 18 Aug 09:55 BREAKING NEWS - Tottenham agree record-fee transfer with Ajax on DAVINSON Sanchez
- 18 Aug 09:34 OFFICIAL - Fiorentina sign Germán PEZZELLA
- 18 Aug 09:18 OFFICIAL - Genoa sign ROSSETTINI from Torino
- 18 Aug 08:48 HANNOVER 96 about to sign JONATHAS on club-record fee
- 18 Aug 00:06 MARSEILLE - Assault on Arsenal for DEBUCHY
- 17 Aug 23:31 OFFICIAL - Simon FALETTE join Eintracht Frankfurt
- 17 Aug 22:50 OFFICIAL - Mainz 05 sign German youngster BAKU on a new deal
- 17 Aug 22:23 NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "Juventus? No clause, therefore no talks"
- 17 Aug 21:45 LAZIO working on Jordan LUKAKU's new deal
- 17 Aug 21:02 OFFICIAL - Raúl BOBADILLA joins Borussia Monchengladbach back
- 17 Aug 20:20 ARSENAL planning a new attempt for CUADRADO
- 17 Aug 19:38 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Sokratis: "Joining Juventus? I talked to Allegri"
- 17 Aug 18:56 BURNLEY insisting on Depor's Florian ANDONE
- 17 Aug 18:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - A new reach in IBRAHIMOVIC-handed proposal
- 17 Aug 17:28 GENOA trying to bring STURARO back from Juventus
- 17 Aug 16:46 LYON not giving up on signing KRYCHOWIAK from PSG
- 17 Aug 16:01 OFFICIAL - Toulouse sign GRADEL from Bournemouth
Playing for West Ham since 2010/11, New Zealand international centre-back Winston Reid (29) had his contract with Premier League club officially extended until June 2023.
Reidy's here until 2??0??2??3??! ? pic.twitter.com/8CowZVKfcx
— West Ham United (@W
Possibly leaving Pescara on an about 6 million euros fee, Italian right-back Francesco Zampano (23), already tracked by Udinese management, has been t
A brand new defensive roster for Valencia: Spanish club announced having signed both Colombian international centre-back Jeison Murillo (25), joining
Playing for West Ham since 2010/11, New Zealand international centre-back Winston Reid (29) had his contract with Premier League club officially exten
Already tracked by Bursaspor, Senegalese international full-back Ibrahima Mbaye (22), according to Italian local news, has been targeted by Rennes man
According to latest rumours collected by Sport Bild, Hamburg have just turned down Wolfsburg on the latter's attempt to sign Gambian winger/forwar