REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 11.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 12 Dec 07:15 VALENCIA, Djukic: "The club's future is assured"
- 11 Dec 10:41 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo flawless"
- 11 Dec 06:00 MALAGA, Tissone's agent: "No contacts with Catania"
- 10 Dec 11:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "It never enters my head to leave"
- 10 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I am happy here"
- 06 Dec 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla wants to stay"
- 05 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We respect Valdes' decision"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 03 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya: "We are in talks for a new contract, but.."
- 01 Dec 09:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "I have three more years on my contract"
- 30 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanabria's agent: "Roma, Milan and Arsenal concrete options"
- 29 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "He is happy here, but.."
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld: "It would be great to have De Bruyne with us"
- 27 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Puyol on Ajax failure: "Our performance is unacceptable"
- 27 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Maduro: "I want to play somewhere else, even in Holland"
- 26 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "I want to stay"
- 25 Nov 18:15 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Wenger should buy us a dinner for Ozil"
- 25 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I want to stay forever"
- 24 Nov 09:30 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "The new contact? There is no hurry"
- 23 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 22 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "New contract? We'll see"
- 21 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "We won't yield Griezmann"
- 20 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I want to end my career here"
- 19 Nov 19:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi and Tello join Messi on the injury list
- 19 Nov 12:45 BARCELONA, Busquets backs Messi patience
- 19 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We son't sign a substitute for Khedira"
- 18 Nov 09:19 REAL MADRID, Microsoft won't rename Santiago Bernabeu
- 18 Nov 05:59 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Iniesta's new contract? Before Christmas"
- 17 Nov 08:30 ATLETICO, Rodriguez's agent: "His future? There's an offer from England"
- 16 Nov 14:30 REAL MADRID, Medical report on Khedira's tough injury
- 16 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like Reina to join us"
- 15 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "We are almost due to win World Cup. Leo Messi, join us back!"
- 15 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "No regrets about Barça, I'm happy here"
- 14 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, 14 players in first team training
- 14 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Song: "My future? Now I am happy here"
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I am happy here"
- 12 Nov 12:04 BARCELONA, Fàbregas is pleased with his current form
- 12 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "Many clubs are tracking him"
- 11 Nov 08:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "Messi the best player ever"
- 10 Nov 09:29 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla is going nowhere"
- 09 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas wants to stay"
- 08 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sergi Roberto's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 07 Nov 18:30 REAL MADRID, Morata: "My time will come, I am just thinking about enjoying myself"
- 07 Nov 16:26 BARCELONA, Neymar: "The team is growing, bit by bit"
- 07 Nov 12:26 BARCELONA, Messi: "Calm about recovering from injury"
- 07 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "PSG? I don't think it's possible"
- 06 Nov 15:30 REAL MADRID, U.S. computer titan Microsoft ready to colonize Santiago Bernabeu
- 05 Nov 16:00 BARCELONA, Dos Santos operation succesful
- 05 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Galliani is the CR7 of the executives"
- 04 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, Dos Santos to undergo operation
- 12 Dec 16:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Keen on Parolo
- 12 Dec 16:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Two English suitors for Dongou
- 12 Dec 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Attempt for Pogba ready
- 12 Dec 15:45 NAPOLI & CHELSEA, Eyes on Thauvin
- 12 Dec 15:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, German talent Brandt will join Bayer Leverkusen foer 2014/15
- 12 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN. Montolivo: "My tackle with Poulsen was on the limit"
- 12 Dec 15:00 ITALY/ LIVORNO, Mbaye's agent: "Inter in January? No"
- 12 Dec 14:45 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Olsen extends as major NT
- 12 Dec 14:30 ARSENAL, Jenkinson: "The red card to Arteta was too harsh"
- 12 Dec 14:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Both Palacio and Inter want the renewal
- 12 Dec 14:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ibai Gomez extends for Athletic Bilbao
- 12 Dec 12:45 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Need 30 mlnsf for Matic
- 12 Dec 12:30 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Tracking Oba Oba Martins
- 12 Dec 12:15 AC MILAN, Balotelli lauds team spirit against 'hurt' Ajax
- 12 Dec 12:01 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Griezmann is so close
- 12 Dec 10:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: offer for Griezmann is on arrival
- 12 Dec 09:45 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Eyes on Quagliarella
- 12 Dec 09:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Arsenal and AS Monaco defeated on Nkoulou
- 12 Dec 09:15 MLS - CANADA / TORONTO FC, Agreement with Genoa on Gilardino
- 12 Dec 09:00 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Attempt for Salah
- 12 Dec 08:45 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Pursue on Lamela's loan
- 12 Dec 08:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Cangele quits Boca Juniors
- 12 Dec 08:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bulut extends with Bochum
- 12 Dec 08:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka back in four months
- 12 Dec 07:45 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Van Bommel coach? Could be"
- 12 Dec 07:30 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Sometimes a lost game can be a victory"
- 12 Dec 07:15 VALENCIA, Djukic: "The club's future is assured"
- 12 Dec 07:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "The team will be reinforced"
- 12 Dec 01:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "We were lucky to pass, it's a strange feeling"
- 12 Dec 00:45 ARGENTINA/ RACING, Interest for Mutu confirmed
- 12 Dec 00:30 ARSENAL & FIORENTINA, Russian-Spanish declaration of war for signing Jorginho
- 12 Dec 00:15 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Keen on Vecsei
- 12 Dec 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We could have done better, but now we can take a little breath"
- 11 Dec 23:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Favre wants Chikhaoui
- 11 Dec 23:30 FRANCE/ SAINT-ETIENNE, Two German clubs after Gradel
- 11 Dec 23:15 ITALY/ UDINESE, Also Roma after Gabriel Silva
- 11 Dec 23:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Italian duel for Menez
- 11 Dec 22:45 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Menezes is Corinthians new coach
- 11 Dec 22:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Idea Kadlec
- 11 Dec 22:15 ARGENTINA/ RIVER, Two German clubs after Lanzini
- 11 Dec 22:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Allée extends with Rennes
- 11 Dec 21:45 ARGENTINA/ SAN LORENZO, Two Italian clubs after Alan Ruiz
- 11 Dec 21:30 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Audax Italiano sign Rubén Ramirez
- 11 Dec 21:15 ECUADOR/ OFFICIAL, Emelec sign Escalada
- 11 Dec 21:00 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Independiente Santa Fé sign two players
- 11 Dec 20:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Maicosuel back to Brazil ?
- 11 Dec 20:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Milan titans for Lavezzi
- 11 Dec 20:00 RUSSIA/ RUBIN KAZAN, Bilyaletdinov might join
- 11 Dec 19:45 ITALY/ PARMA, One more suitor for Jaime Valdes
- 11 Dec 19:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Estudiantes chairman confirms: "We are keen on Alvaro Pereira"
Despite having been on the verge to extend their deal with French international central midfielder Paul Pogba (20), Juventus management, due to having been striken out from Champions League by the hand of Galatasaray, are risking to be in need to release him on a full...
After the game against Arsenal, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has declared: "If the fact that we didn't qualify for the...
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo was hailed as the complete forward after he set a Champions League record on Tuesday night.
Commenting upon 2-0 defeat suffered from Napoli, Arsenal right backwing Carl Jenkinson stated: "I think in the Premier League he...
Thomas Muller feels Tuesday's 3-2 Champions League defeat at home against Manchester City showed that the Bayern Munich players are not...
Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev has declared about 26 year old striker Radamel Falcao: "He is happy here, he is very well at Monaco....