REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 11.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 05 Mar 06:15 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I wouldn't mind moving to the US"
- 04 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will stay at least until 2017"
- 03 Mar 15:09 SPAIN, Villa: "Whenever you confront Italy, although is said to be friendly, it never is"
- 03 Mar 05:59 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Three Italian clubs after him, but.."
- 02 Mar 06:29 LEVANTE, Caparros turns out transfer rumours
- 01 Mar 06:19 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? I'm focused on my club"
- 28 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "We are all with Martino"
- 27 Feb 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "That was the perfect game Madrid's 'perfect game'"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I'm not thinking about another club"
- 26 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "City and Real? I'm focused on my club"
- 25 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Muniain: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Deulofeu will be important for this club"
- 23 Feb 09:59 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I am happy here, but.."
- 22 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I want to end my career here"
- 21 Feb 06:19 MALAGA, El Hamdaoui: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 20 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Diego Costa will remain for a long time"
- 19 Feb 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Ac Milan? There is no favourite tonight"
- 19 Feb 10:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "City can cause you problems at any moment"
- 18 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Feb 11:50 ATLETICO MADRID, Suarez: "Milan have a great tradition in this competition"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois's father: "I will talk with Atletico in one month"
- 15 Feb 07:27 OM, Anigo: "Valbuena could leave"
- 14 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I imagine myself at Inter"
- 13 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is not for sale"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Farinos announces his retirement
- 11 Feb 19:30 BARCELONA, Barca chief coy on Messi deal
- 11 Feb 18:16 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I owe nearly everything to Wenger"
- 11 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco unhappy? His moment will come"
- 10 Feb 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Martino: "Rakitic has got potential and qualities for playing for Barça
- 08 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Herrera: "None of us wants to leave"
- 07 Feb 12:15 REAL MADRID, Referee who sent off Ronaldo at Bilbao is suspended for a month
- 07 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Not fascinated by the Serie A"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "The great clubs know that I won't move"
- 05 Feb 06:00 REAL, CR7's agent: "He will end his career in Madrid"
- 04 Feb 06:00 MALAGA, Iakovenko: "The Liga is better than the Serie A"
- 01 Feb 09:29 ATLETICO, Diego: "Happy to be here"
- 31 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I am not leaving"
- 30 Jan 07:00 BETIS, Adan: "Happy to be here"
- 29 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Back to Chelsea, only if.."
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Vargas: "Happy to be here"
- 26 Jan 06:29 BARCELONA, Messi's father: "Don't know anything about PSG"
- 25 Jan 06:00 BETIS, Vadillo's agent: "Some Italian clubs after him"
- 23 Jan 18:30 BARCELONA, Puyol injury confirmed as bruising
- 23 Jan 16:44 BARCELONA, To announce EGM - Rosell set to resign
- 23 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno's agent: "Napoli's first offer has been refused"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "26 millions for Courtois? He is worth them"
- 09 Mar 06:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He thinks about Juventus only"
- 09 Mar 00:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Back for Höwedes
- 08 Mar 23:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Survey on Caballero
- 08 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, No attempt for Ogbonna
- 08 Mar 21:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Trying to close in on Dória
- 08 Mar 20:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Garay on target
- 08 Mar 19:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Eyes on Antunes
- 08 Mar 18:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Mertesacker: "Per gives everything for the club"
- 08 Mar 17:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Suggestion for Eliseu
- 08 Mar 16:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Baselli's agent: "Several foreign clubs keen on him"
- 08 Mar 15:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "He could still play World Cup"
- 08 Mar 14:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Micah Richards is the new name on tabs
- 08 Mar 13:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Eyes on Piazón
- 08 Mar 12:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Gibbs: "We'll need to take them seriously"
- 08 Mar 11:00 ITALY/ INTER, One more Premier League suitor on Taider
- 08 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger: "Doubt on Koscielny"
- 08 Mar 09:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Two Premier League suitors for Lennon
- 08 Mar 08:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Two suitors for Mexes
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 08 Mar 07:17 OM, Anigo: "We are not thinking about Laudrup"
- 08 Mar 06:57 SCHALKE, Heldy: "Firmino? Excellent player"
- 08 Mar 06:39 WEST BROMWICH, Mel: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 08 Mar 06:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 08 Mar 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Trippier
- 07 Mar 23:45 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Gustafsson leaves Salzburg
- 07 Mar 23:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on an Hungarian starlet
- 07 Mar 23:15 USA/ OFFICIAL, Pineda joins Seattle
- 07 Mar 23:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Brouwers will leave
- 07 Mar 22:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Asamoah renews
- 07 Mar 22:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Mallo
- 07 Mar 22:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Auction for Montolivo
- 07 Mar 22:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Dante about to renew
- 07 Mar 21:45 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Also Atletico after Schar
- 07 Mar 21:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Two Serie A players
- 07 Mar 21:15 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Sprint for Lescott
- 07 Mar 21:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Interest for Rafa
- 07 Mar 20:45 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 20:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jimenez is Instituto new coach
- 07 Mar 20:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Aly Cissokho will not stay
- 07 Mar 20:05 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, United's scout observing Bernat
- 07 Mar 19:46 FRANCE/ LORIENT, Working for Gourcuff renewal
- 07 Mar 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Thinking about Diego Lopez
- 07 Mar 19:16 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 19:01 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eriksen stay does not depend on Champions
- 07 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Thinking about Menez
- 07 Mar 18:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Contacts with Silva of Estoril
- 07 Mar 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 6 names for the back line of the future
- 07 Mar 18:01 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Barcelona thinking about Hummels
- 07 Mar 17:44 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Lopez oberved by two English clubs
AC Milan management are working harder and harder on signing Brazilian international centre-back Matheus Dória Macedo (19). Currently on a deal with Botafogo until April 2015, the player, not equipped with a second EU passport, has been surveyed by several important...
Interviewed by Radio Fee-Jay, Mino Raiola, agent of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, has declared: "I don't see why we should talk about...
Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela has declared: "Arsenal is a great club that has given me the opportunity to play in Europe. I will always...
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Laurent Koscielny talked about same role teammate Per Mertesacker: "I'm happy for Per. It's his...
Interviewed by the Deutsche Presseagentur, Schalke 04 Sports Director Horst Heldt has declared about Hoffenheim 22 year old attacking midfielder...
Interviewed by Canal +, OM Sports Director and caretaker manager Jose Anigo has declared about the possibility to sign the former Swansea coach...