REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 13 Feb 11:48 Luis Suarez would only go to Liverpool
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 11 Feb 19:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi trains with the group
- 11 Feb 13:40 Valencia only manage draw against weakened Barca team
- 11 Feb 12:59 Barcelona, Luis Enrique: "I had to give my voice a rest"
- 11 Feb 11:21 ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "I would already do a long-life deal"
- 11 Feb 11:00 REAL MADRID - Marcelo
- 10 Feb 20:13 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin close to extend: the two Manchester clubs still keen on him
- 10 Feb 17:33 ATLETICO MADRID - Tiago's future is uncertain
- 10 Feb 17:31 Zidane: "Ronaldo is the best"
- 10 Feb 17:00 CHAMPIONS / Real Madrid: Marcelo and Bale could miss the next match against Roma
- 10 Feb 16:46 LA LIGA / Copa del Rey: Valencia expects a miracle this afternoon against Barça
- 10 Feb 16:45 LA LIGA / Atlético Madrid / Griezmann "I'm not leaving Atletico"
- 10 Feb 15:44 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone fuels Chelsea rumours taking English lessons
- 10 Feb 15:30 OFFICIAL / TRANSFER MARKET / Atlético Madrid: Oblak extends his contract
- 10 Feb 14:07 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "CR7 is the best. to manage this team is a dream"
- 10 Feb 11:34 Valencia 'must win' on Saturday says Neville
- 09 Feb 19:45 REAL MADRID - Bale, Modric, Carvajal and Marcelo skip training
- 09 Feb 19:39 OFFICIAL - Betis, Bruno Gonzalez extend until 2019
- 09 Feb 18:06 REAL MADRID, Marcelo shoulder dislocation confirmed
- 09 Feb 14:00 RANKING GOLDEN SHOE'16: Higuain, Gonçalves and Suarez occupy the podium of the Golden Shoe'16
- 09 Feb 13:06 Messi sent for tests on Kidneys
- 09 Feb 12:48 Dyche critical of Neville
- 09 Feb 11:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi to undergo minor kidney surgery
- 08 Feb 16:20 Barcelona chase club record
- 08 Feb 11:28 LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Luka wondergoal gives Real Madrid 2-1 win at Granada
- 08 Feb 10:15 Barcelona confident over Neymar
- 08 Feb 10:06 Liverpool interested in Jese
- 08 Feb 09:44 Neville's Valencia lose again
- 08 Feb 09:08 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Marcelo ends match with badly injured shoulder
- 07 Feb 12:30 Barça demands respect after harassment to Neymar
- 06 Feb 14:45 TRANSFER MARKET / LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Zidane want Hazard
- 05 Feb 11:22 Valencia - Rafa Benitez set to oust Gary Neville
- 04 Feb 22:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar sr.: "No reason to renew, he won't end his career at Barça"
- 04 Feb 17:40 ATLETICO MADRID - Cerezo: "Jackson Martinez wasn't at the top of the situation"
- 04 Feb 14:14 Canizares: 'Neville should apologise and resign'
- 04 Feb 10:43 Valencia – Gary Neville will not resign
- 03 Feb 17:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA / SEVILLA FC: If Kakuta leaves, leave an open tab to enroll Fazio in Europa League
- 03 Feb 16:31 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Market revolution
- 02 Feb 09:37 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Florentino need give love to Benzema
- 02 Feb 08:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Atletico negotiates signing of Brazilian Caio Henrique to his junior team
- 01 Feb 21:46 OFFICIAL - Osasuna, De Las Cuevas sign
- 01 Feb 16:51 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Verdú near close his move to Levante
- 31 Jan 22:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Real Madrid thrashed Espanyol to regain confidence in themselves
- 31 Jan 09:58 REAL MADRID - PSG centre-back Marquinhos targeted
- 30 Jan 18:45 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Rumours on Neymar don't bother us"
- 30 Jan 18:36 BARCELONA - Leroy Sané chooses Azulgrana, he can arrive next summer
- 30 Jan 17:48 Barcelona v Atletico 2-1: Messi and Suarez for the comeback and top spot
- 30 Jan 15:15 OFFICIAL - Asteras Tripolis and Lanzarote part company on mutual consent: he signed for Zaragoza
- 30 Jan 01:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW / SPAIN / LA LIGA: FIFA suspends the penalty to Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid
- 29 Jan 22:58 REAL BETIS- Montoya already in Sevilla to undergo medical
- 29 Jan 21:55 ATLETICO MADRID - The club decides Oliver Torres is not for sale
- 29 Jan 21:18 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We aren't scared of Barcelona"
- 29 Jan 20:46 BARCELONA - Bordas on Neymar: "He will be with us for a long time"
- 29 Jan 11:56 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi offered 23 million to move to China
- 28 Jan 13:53 Real Madrid contacted by Chelsea over Carvajal
- 27 Jan 22:00 Spain / La Liga: Atlético de Madrid 2 - Celta de Vigo 3
- 27 Jan 21:53 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Copa del Rey Barça 3 - Athletic Club de Bilbao 1
- 27 Jan 20:30 Atlético de Madrid - Celta de Vigo
- 23 Jan 08:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar's father: "My son is not interested in joining Real Madrid"
- 06 Jan 12:11 REAL MADRID, Zidane promises 'beautiful football' at Merengues
- 05 Jan 09:30 REAL MADRID/ OFFICIAL, Zinedine Zidane is the new first squad manager
- 04 Jan 17:00 BARCELONA FC, Former teammate Alcantara: "Messi, Suarez and Neymar all deserve Ballon d'Or"
- 31 Dec 01:16 SEVILLA, Llorente wanted Juventus stay
- 28 Dec 17:27 REAL MADRID, Statement about disciplinary decisions in relation to the Copa del Rey
- 25 Dec 10:22 BARCELONA, Messi: "Ronaldinho told me to take his No.10 shirt"
- 24 Dec 11:33 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "Neymar can't pip Messi to the Ballon d'Or ... yet"
- 18 Dec 20:00 REAL MADRID, Florentino: "Benitez is not our problem, he's our solution. Zidane? He'll sure be Merengues manager in the future"
- 18 Dec 15:29 REAL MADRID, Florentino rules out Mourinho coming back soon
- 16 Dec 08:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "No jealousy between Messi, Neymar and Suarez"
- 15 Dec 19:18 BARCELONA, Jordi Alba: "We don't rely on Messi or Neymar"
- 14 Dec 07:30 REAL MADRID, Modric on Villarreal failure: "My mistake on their goal. Now let's end 2015 on a high note"
- 09 Dec 14:16 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "You have to be wary with Leverkusen"
- 09 Dec 10:48 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ronaldo Happy at Real
- 03 Dec 11:59 REAL MADRID, Copa del Rey at risk: Benitez lines up a suspended player
- 03 Dec 09:29 VALENCIA, Gayŕ: "Now Neville will suggest us his ideas as a trainer"
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 29 Nov 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Official report on Tiago's surgery
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeńo: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 14 Feb 21:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW / Ancelotti spy Özil from the stands of Emirates
- 14 Feb 20:00 PREMIER LEAGUE / Tottenham storm Etihad to spur title dreams
- 14 Feb 20:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Yacob for replacing Banega
- 14 Feb 19:50 PREMIER LEAGUE - 26 fixture scores
- 14 Feb 18:00 PREMIER LEAGUE / Welbeck ends with the epic streak of Leicester
- 14 Feb 16:00 GERMANY/ FC KÖLN, Survey on Birsa
- 14 Feb 13:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW / Bayern Munchen: A possible dismissal of Guardiola
- 14 Feb 12:00 FRANCE/ O.M., 6 important suitors for Batshuayi
- 14 Feb 08:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Duel to Arsenal on Baby Face Koziello
- 14 Feb 04:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mosquera renews for Deportivo La Coruńa
- 14 Feb 00:00 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Terziev renews for Ludogorets
- 13 Feb 20:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Young goalie Unai Simón on target
- 13 Feb 16:00 PREMIER LEAGE / Chelsea: Falcao will be ready in 10 days
- 13 Feb 16:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Majestic offer for Matuidi ready
- 13 Feb 15:42 PREMIER LEAGUE / Rebellion in the stands
- 13 Feb 14:15 OFFICIAL / EXCLUSIVE TMW / Premier League: Özil rejects the offer to renew from Arsenal
- 13 Feb 13:21 Schneiderlin replaces Fellaini
- 13 Feb 13:00 Michael Owen believes Leicester could be relegated next year
- 13 Feb 12:40 Mark Hughes had faith in Jack Butland
- 13 Feb 12:30 Redknapp: "Tottenham could be Londons biggest club"
- 13 Feb 12:15 Ray Wilkins: "Van Gaal needs to get top four place"
- 13 Feb 12:00 Kompany struggling with injuries
- 13 Feb 12:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Almost done for Croatian duo Vargic-Ivic
- 13 Feb 11:48 Luis Suarez would only go to Liverpool
- 13 Feb 08:00 CHINA/ SHANGHAI SIPG, Eriksson: "Stars like CR7, Messi and Rooney can join China soon"
- 13 Feb 03:22 CZECH REPUBLIC/ BANIK OSTRAVA, Test period for Karol Karlík
- 13 Feb 03:15 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Koffie joins New England Revolution
- 13 Feb 03:08 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Oviedo renews for Everton
- 13 Feb 03:01 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Ibisevic to play for Hertha next season as well
- 12 Feb 23:00 COLOMBIA / Rodallega waiting the Pekerman's call
- 12 Feb 22:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / The eight bombs of Football Leaks
- 12 Feb 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Newcastle loan Ameobi to Fleetwood
- 12 Feb 21:17 ESTONIA/ OFFICIAL, Nomme Kalju sign Sidorenkov
- 12 Feb 20:59 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Veteran icon Zé Roberto announces quitting in June
- 12 Feb 20:39 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Yunus Malli: "Moving to Dortmund in summer? It's possible"
- 12 Feb 20:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / LIGUE 1 / PSG opens the door to Marquinhos
- 12 Feb 20:20 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, St. Gallen sign Leitgeb
- 12 Feb 20:00 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Veteran striker Gudjohnsen joins Molde FK
- 12 Feb 19:42 PREMIER LEAGUE / Chelsea: Costa breaks his nose in training
- 12 Feb 15:55 Fabian Delph could miss Euro's with injury
- 12 Feb 15:45 Rolando Aarons wants a Newcastle win against Chelsea
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:15 AC Milan interested in Fellaini
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 12 Feb 15:00 Allardyce fears Wayne Rooney
- 12 Feb 14:50 Manchester United youngster to get chance at Sunderland
- 12 Feb 14:40 Lukaku wants more goals
- 12 Feb 14:24 Sturridge could start for Liverpool on Sunday
- 12 Feb 14:19 Mark Hughes wants more from Stoke City
- 12 Feb 14:12 NAPOLI - Higuain rejected Chelsea offer
The Emirates Stadium was graced with a VIP visitor on Sunday afternoon. Carlo Ancelotti tweeted a picture of himself braving the cold on the terraces as he watched Arsenal take on league leaders Leicester. A number of media reports have speculated that the new Bayern co
Italian club AC Milan have shown interest in Manchester United Midfielder Marouane Fellaini.
Milan have reportedly been in contact with the 28-year
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has said that if he wouldn't dismiss a return to the Premier League, but he would only ever go to Liverpool.
Tottenham edged Manchester City to claim a priceless 2-1 victory at the Etihadand climb to just two points off the top.
A second consecut
The coach of Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), Laurent Blanc said Friday that at the end of the season will decide on the future of Brazilian defender Marqui
Pep Guardiola could leave Bayern Munich before the end of the season, according to the Daily Express. The announcement of his departure to Manchester