REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 23 Oct 00:40 BARCELONA, Messi: "I don't compete with Ronaldo, and he doesn't compete with me"
- 22 Oct 10:39 SPAIN, Johan Cruyff diagnosed with lung cancer
- 21 Oct 08:00 REAL MADRID, Varane before PSG clash: "We'll have to control the game in order to defeat them"
- 20 Oct 12:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "We are in good shape, and we can defeat Gent. Happy here, I want to renew"
- 19 Oct 08:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "Sociedad? We did what we needed to do. I'd never celebrate scoring against a club that gave me everything"
- 16 Oct 07:30 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Mestalla audience is picky and impatient, we need to fulfil their expectations"
- 15 Oct 06:59 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos back in squad training
- 14 Oct 10:57 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ronaldo can score more goals"
- 14 Oct 06:30 FC SEVILLE, Tremoulinas: "We succeeded in defeating Barcelona because we worked as a real group"
- 13 Oct 13:04 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar: "Of course I want new Barcelona deal"
- 12 Oct 06:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "Both my gameplaying and my life here changed for the best"
- 09 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi's agent: "Bayern are after him"
- 08 Oct 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "I'm not thinking about Barcelona"
- 07 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I want to stay"
- 02 Oct 23:33 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo is a Blancos legend"
- 02 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "Contacts with Barcelona"
- 01 Oct 19:27 LEVANTE, Simao: "Ready to fight and struggle against Villarreal"
- 01 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Kovacic? He's got the qualities for becoming a champion"
- 30 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I refused to join Porto"
- 29 Sep 18:48 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BARCELONA FC, Rakitic: "We want to win for Leo and for our fans. Our style won't change"
- 29 Sep 17:59 REAL MADRID, 20-man squad for the match against Malmö: Bale out
- 29 Sep 13:15 CHAMPIONS, Barcelona v Leverkusen - Possible lineups: Leo Messi is irreplaceable
- 29 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Tiago: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Sep 13:39 VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Malaga accomplishment: "I'm extremely proud of my players"
- 23 Sep 08:19 BETIS, Joaquin: "Sousa didn't want to let me go"
- 22 Sep 16:00 BARCELONA FC, Medical report on Rafinha after surgery
- 22 Sep 07:00 BARCELONA, Neymar calls Coutinho
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We don't have to pay 10 millions to De Gea"
- 19 Sep 16:00 VALENCIA v BETIS, Liga Matchday 4, Special Preview - Joaquín faces his own past
- 18 Sep 07:29 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Austrian failure: "We were really bad during part of the game"
- 18 Sep 01:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BARCELONA FC (Group E), Suarez: "No need to get upset for the outcome"
- 17 Sep 17:12 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ZENIT (Group H), Hulk: "Important victory for us, Valencia are a great team"
- 17 Sep 00:34 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - VALENCIA (Group H), André Gomes: "We took some risks, and Zenit exploited it"
- 16 Sep 15:43 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - REAL MADRID (Group A), Ronaldo: "Proud of the scoring record reached"
- 16 Sep 15:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - ATLETICO MADRID (Group C), double scorer Griezmann: "We reached a good level, now we need to work and keep it"
- 16 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I'm very happy"
- 16 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - GALATASARAY (Group C), Hamzaoglu: "Atletico are really good. Satisfied with my team's performance in the second half"
- 16 Sep 01:36 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - SHAKHTAR DONETSK (Group A), Lucescu: "Real Madrid's victory is a stolen one"
- 15 Sep 18:12 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - FC SEVILLE v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D): Llorente searching for his first Andalusian header
- 15 Sep 16:23 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - GALATASARAY v ATLETICO MADRID (Group C): fresh start for Podolski
- 15 Sep 15:47 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - REAL MADRID v SHAKHTAR (Group A): Isco from the kick-off
- 13 Sep 10:00 ATLETICO MADRID - BARCELONA FC 1-2, Matchbox: Neymar and Messi respond to Torres
- 11 Sep 17:11 ESPANYOL v REAL MADRID, Special Preview - James Rodriguez surely out
- 11 Sep 08:29 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo to PSG? If they pay a billion..."
- 10 Sep 17:59 BARCELONA FC, Piqué: "I was wearing Buffon shirt during Real Madrid-Juventus, last May"
- 10 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I don't think De Gea will join in January"
- 10 Sep 00:39 BARCELONA FC, Mascherano charged with tax evasion
- 09 Sep 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't want to talk about my future"
- 08 Sep 18:19 REAL MADRID, Indoor training for Modric and Kovacic
- 08 Sep 11:09 REAL MADRID, Benzema happy with Merengues
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 03 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "Happy to stay"
- 02 Sep 10:45 REAL MADRID, Official statement on De Gea's missed transfer
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 31 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar: "I want to play in the Copa America and the Olympics"
- 30 Aug 10:30 MALAGA, Javi Garcia: "I don't understand Darder's departure"
- 27 Aug 08:19 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "I will stay"
- 21 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Everything can happen until August 31"
- 20 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "The transfer market? There is still time"
- 14 Aug 08:29 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 13 Aug 16:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "Pedro would be perfect for Premier"
- 13 Aug 08:19 CELTA, Nolito: "Either I'll return to Barça, or I will stay here"
- 12 Aug 15:29 BARCELONA FC, Pedro: "Leaving? It's a matter of pitch time, not money"
- 12 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I hope Pedro will stay"
- 11 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Llorente? We must wait"
- 10 Aug 11:50 REAL BETIS, Vargas: "Great ambition, I hope to stay for so long"
- 10 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Soon a decision about Asensio"
- 09 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "The market? In August I'm always nervous"
- 08 Aug 06:00 RAYO, Martín Presa: "Zhang's signing has not been imposed"
- 07 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'm attached to my club"
- 06 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 05 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 04 Aug 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "No chances that Osvaldo will join us"
- 03 Aug 11:44 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "We will win when it matters"
- 03 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Garcia: "Happy of our new signings"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ramos? We'll see"
- 26 Nov 06:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City extend Zuculini's loan to Middlesbrough
- 26 Nov 04:00 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, New suggestion for Borriello
- 26 Nov 02:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Weighing up an offer for Slimani
- 26 Nov 00:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Meeting with Heurtaux's agent soon
- 25 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham loan McEvoy out
- 25 Nov 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Las Palmas extend deal with Tana
- 25 Nov 18:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rodak renews for Fulham
- 25 Nov 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Van Gaal on Robben
- 25 Nov 15:31 FRANCE/ PSG, To plot mega-Ronaldo deal
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, A Serie A suitor for Strinic
- 25 Nov 14:27 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Suggestion for Cigarini
- 25 Nov 13:57 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, 2 Ligue 1 important suitors for Mirallas
- 25 Nov 13:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Van Basten could help AC Milan signing De Roon
- 25 Nov 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Sullivan renews for Blackburn
- 25 Nov 12:30 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Planning to sign Biabiany on loan from Inter
- 25 Nov 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Inler if Witsel remains a dream
- 25 Nov 11:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doneil Henry joins Rovers back from West Ham
- 25 Nov 10:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Papu Gomez
- 25 Nov 10:29 FRANCE/ RENNES, 3 Bundesliga clubs on Grosicki
- 25 Nov 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lisandro Lopez's agent: "Benfica-Fiorentina swap involving Suarez? I don't know if that can happen"
- 25 Nov 09:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger hopeful his side can get the result needed in Greece to progress
- 25 Nov 09:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Offer to Ohéme for N'Koulou ready
- 25 Nov 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Marotta decides: 25 million euros recompra right on Berardi to be used
- 25 Nov 08:59 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, Barcelona and Bayern through as group winners after comfortable victorie
- 25 Nov 08:52 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare extended until 2018
- 25 Nov 03:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Seedorf as a name if McClaren gets sacked
- 25 Nov 02:27 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Meeting for signing Pato
- 25 Nov 01:57 BAYERN MUNICH & SCHALKE 04, Observing Colombian talent Cardona
- 25 Nov 01:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Eyes on Nampalys Mendy
- 25 Nov 00:59 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, José Castro: "We are negotiating with Banega on renewal"
- 25 Nov 00:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Maxi Lopez renews for Torino
- 25 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Back for Isco
- 24 Nov 22:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino, suggestion for Leonardo Sanchez
- 24 Nov 20:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese approaching Yony Gonzalez
- 24 Nov 19:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Arlind Ajeti joins Frosinone
- 24 Nov 18:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart fire Zorniger
- 24 Nov 16:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: offer for Perotti submitted
- 24 Nov 15:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 3 more suitors for Rebic's loan
- 24 Nov 15:29 PSG, Thiago Motta: "Now I know I want to stay. Ibra knows there are a lot of important players here. Our goal? Winning CL"
- 24 Nov 14:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Planning to yield Ongenda
- 24 Nov 14:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bradley's agent: "He'd like to join back Italy, even for a test period"
- 24 Nov 14:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Willing to sign Felipe from Hannover
- 24 Nov 13:27 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea on Red Devils good moment: "Steady CL route after first defeat. Depay will bring a lot to us against PSV"
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 24 Nov 12:29 SCHALKE 04, Max Meyer: "Shame we couldn't hold draw against Bayern. Now no confidence issue, we can defeat APOEL and Leverkusen"
- 24 Nov 11:59 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "City will be aggressive. Dybala is developing into a very fine player, technique-wise"
- 24 Nov 11:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Landing Douglas from Dnipro
- 24 Nov 11:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Suggestion for Ogbonna
- 24 Nov 10:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mario Rui renews for Empoli
- 24 Nov 09:00 STUTTGART & PADERBORN 07, Scouting Owase
According to news coming from UK sources, Algerian international striker Islam Slimani (27), possibly leaving Sporting Lisbon on a full basis in January, is more and more of the main name on tabs for Crystal Palace. Eagles might even agree with Portuguese club on paying them the
Looking forward to Champions League Matchday 5 home game against Manchester City, which might allow Juventus to qualify for eighth finals, Bianconeri
Attending a long press conference, Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez widely commented upon Rafa Benitez's position stability as Merengues manager
On a good route after a difficult start, Manchester United could now get Champiosn League eighth finals pass with one group round turn in advance, now
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi