REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 12.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 29 Sep 15:48 VALENCIA - Half fans not thrilled with PRANDELLI, according to poll
- 29 Sep 09:49 SEVILLE, Balague: “Wonderful seeing Nasri enjoying his football again”
- 28 Sep 12:47 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE: Iborra extends until 2020
- 27 Sep 14:44 VALENCIA - 5 names for managing position
- 27 Sep 11:49 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "Simeone told me he wanted another striker"
- 27 Sep 10:33 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann praises his manager Simeone
- 26 Sep 22:28 BARCELONA - Pique could be tempted by a move to the MLS
- 26 Sep 16:15 BARCELONA FC - 20 players called up for CL clash against 'Gladbach
- 25 Sep 21:29 ATLETICO MADRID - Augusto will undergo surgery, out seven months
- 25 Sep 13:46 Liga/ LEGANES v VALENCIA 1-2 FT
- 24 Sep 21:42 LIGA/ USD LAS PALMAS 2 VS 2 REAL MADRID
- 24 Sep 20:57 MALAGA, Al-Thani: "I fully trust Juande RAMOS"
- 24 Sep 11:32 REAL MADRID - Marcelo misses LAS PALMAS clash due to calf strain
- 23 Sep 13:06 Zidane : "Barcelona will miss Messi"
- 23 Sep 09:03 SPORTING GIJON - Douglas Pereira gets injured resting on the team bus
- 22 Sep 22:32 LIGA/ La Liga Results FT
- 22 Sep 12:03 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "We deserved to win with ATLETICO"
- 22 Sep 09:22 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "We did enough to win the game"
- 22 Sep 08:31 ATLETICO, Simeone: "In the second half we played the game we wanted"
- 20 Sep 17:22 BARCA-Umtiti out of Atletico clash
- 20 Sep 17:13 Luis Enrique-"Barca have to beat Atleti to win La Liga"
- 18 Sep 20:47 Liga/ Espanyol 0 vs 1 Real Madrid HT
- 18 Sep 19:46 Liga/Espanyol vs Real Madrid; starting line up
- 18 Sep 13:03 LIGA/ OSASUNA 0-0 CELTA VIGO - FT
- 18 Sep 11:17 VALENCIA - Garay injured, out 2-3 weeks
- 17 Sep 20:35 Diego Simeone : Griezmann deserves Balon D'or
- 17 Sep 17:00 LIGA BBVA/ ATLETICO MADRID 5-0 SPORTING GIJON - FT
- 17 Sep 14:51 LIGA - LLEGANES 1-5 BARCELONA - Full Time
- 17 Sep 09:59 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "I am here because I want to be here"
- 16 Sep 16:30 OFFICIAL - Young goalie Domenech extends for VALENCIA
- 16 Sep 12:16 BARCELONA - Umtiti: "I like to play against Messi, Neymar and Suarez in training"
- 15 Sep 12:00 BARCELONA -Neymar transfer to Blaugrana investigated
- 14 Sep 16:23 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Granada target Kevin-Prince BOATENG
- 13 Sep 16:15 OFFICIAL - Roberto ROSALES extends for MALAGA
- 12 Sep 15:45 OFFICIAL - Alvarez and Yesga signed on first pro contract by ATHLETIC BILBAO
- 11 Sep 14:29 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I should be offered a ten-year deal"
- 09 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos celebrates 11 Blancos years: "My presentation jersey is still with me, at home"
- 08 Sep 16:30 BARCELONA FC, Alcacer's first conference: "Improving will be easier, due to such champions being here"
- 08 Sep 14:15 REAL MADRID, CR7: "I'm fine"
- 08 Sep 08:05 VALENCIA, Munir: "We will achieve qualification to Champions League"
- 07 Sep 19:45 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We are aiming to Liga. Wales? We want to keep on making history"
- 07 Sep 16:15 REAL BETIS - Veteran RUBEN CASTRO about to extend
- 07 Sep 15:15 BARCELONA FC - MESSI back training with squad
- 06 Sep 20:13 CELTA VIGO star Orellana out for 4 weeks
- 06 Sep 19:31 SEVILLE signing Nasri could miss next game
- 06 Sep 15:00 REAL MADRID - Figo: "Ronaldo could join Barcelona"
- 06 Sep 14:47 BARCELONA - Arroyo: "Being in the United States will help to obtain new sources"
- 06 Sep 13:33 SEVILLA - President Castro about Navas: "This year no interest or negotiation"
- 06 Sep 10:49 REAL MADRID not sure on extending Pepe's deal: it expires in June 2017
- 05 Sep 21:29 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I am pleased Mahrez decided to stay at Leicester"
- 05 Sep 19:04 VALENCIA - Nani: "I wanted to play in La Liga: a big chance for me"
- 05 Sep 09:19 BARCELONA star Alba believes Alcacer is a 'great signing'
- 04 Sep 15:50 REAL MADRID stas Bale and Kroos offered a new contract
- 03 Sep 18:31 MALAGA star Camacho happy to stay despite WEST BROM interest
- 03 Sep 12:30 GRANADA - Angulo fails doping test after a game played on 20 July with former team
- 02 Sep 16:03 REAL MADRID - No serious injury for MORATA, he will stay with SPAIN
- 01 Sep 19:39 OFFICIAL - Diego REYES joins ESPANYOL
- 31 Aug 14:40 OFFICIAL - GRANADA sign Israeli winger ATZILI
- 30 Aug 23:41 OFFICIAL - KRAVETS joins GRANADA
- 30 Aug 20:46 OFFICIAL - Borja VIGUERA joins Sporting GIJON
- 28 Aug 09:30 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We must work hard to look what we're looking for"
- 26 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - Barça loan DOUGLAS to Sporting Gijón
- 25 Aug 18:15 David LOPEZ about to join ESPANYOL back: numbers on the trade
- 24 Aug 14:16 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I'll never forget this year"
- 22 Aug 21:00 OFFICIAL - Nicolas Pareja extends for SEVILLE
- 19 Aug 07:36 OFFICIAL - SPORTING GIJON extend Abelardo Fernandez's deal until 2020
- 17 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - GRANADA loan Leganés Venezuelan striker Machís
- 17 Aug 15:03 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "James will be staying here, I'm happy with him"
- 17 Aug 09:03 OFFICIAL - VALENCIA sign Mario Suarez
- 16 Aug 21:00 FC SEVILLE - New long-term contract offered to VITOLO
- 14 Aug 21:51 REAL MADRID youngster Odegaard set for loan move to RENNES
- 14 Aug 15:50 REAL MADRID star Ronaldo set to extend contract
- 12 Aug 11:33 VILLARREAL to bid for MILAN striker Matri after Soldado's injury
- 11 Aug 17:27 OFFICIAL - Fran Escribá is the new VILLARREAL manager
- 10 Aug 22:45 BREAKING NEWS - OFFICIAL - VILLAREAL sack Marcelino
- 10 Aug 21:27 OFFICIAL - Demichelis joins ESPANYOL
- 10 Aug 13:20 CELTA VIGO to sign Diego Lopez on a free transfer
- 10 Aug 08:42 BAYER LEVERKUSEN - Chicharito Hernandez: "My future? Never say never"
- 09 Aug 16:16 SEVILLA - Sampaoli relishes Super Cup debut against Real (video)
- 07 Aug 12:19 OFFICIAL - VILLAREAL sign Sansone
- 06 Aug 14:54 REAL MADRID to let Isco leave this summer
- 05 Aug 19:00 REAL MADRID - ZIDANE's salary will be doubled
- 04 Aug 12:44 VIDEO - REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There will never be another Cristiano"
- 03 Aug 16:22 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We are in talks with a Premier League club for LLORENTE". SWANSEA ready to sign him
- 03 Aug 12:30 REAL MADRID - Zidane wants James Rodriguez to stay
- 01 Aug 20:02 SEVILLA - Chus Llorente: "Fernando will continue at Sevilla"
- 28 Jul 13:16 BARCELONA - El Haddadi is wanted by Real Sociedad
- 28 Jul 10:00 BARCELONA target Perez
- 27 Jul 20:01 BARCELONA - Gomes: "I hope to enjoy and win many titles"
- 27 Jul 15:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu about André Gomes: "Very happy to have you with us"
- 27 Jul 11:00 BARCELONA - The presentation of André Gomes
- 26 Jul 19:00 BARCELONA, Munir: "I'd like to play a little 'more this year"
- 26 Jul 18:00 SIVIGLIA - Kevin Gameiro wants Atletico Madrid
- 25 Jul 18:06 VILLARREAL sign Jose Angel
- 25 Jul 17:07 VILLARREAL sign Andres Fernandez
- 25 Jul 16:06 ATLETICO MADRID - Cerezo: "Vietto is an Atletico player "
- 21 Jul 15:35 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: "I want a quick number 9, a top scorer"
- 21 Jul 14:44 REAL MADRID - Morata: "Incredible to be here again. I can't wait to get started"
- 21 Jul 12:00 REAL MADRID train in Montreal
- 20 Jul 16:02 BARCELLONA - Adriano joins pre-season, but Tello doesn't
- 30 Sep 21:22 REAL MADRID - Man United and Man City 'go to war' over Kroos
- 30 Sep 21:04 ARSENAL head to head with Juve and PSG for Mbappe
- 30 Sep 20:47 ARSENAL - Cazorla: "I hope I can stay here and continue to play"
- 30 Sep 20:30 NAPOLI - A new suitor for STRINIC, but...
- 30 Sep 20:15 JUVENTUS: back for OSCAR
- 30 Sep 20:00 STOKE CITY still willing to sign BERAHINO in January
- 30 Sep 19:45 PSG - MATUIDI more and more likely to stay put (at least until May)
- 30 Sep 19:30 SUNDERLAND eyeing Czech goalie VACLIK
- 30 Sep 19:15 LIVERPOOL, Klopp on SAKHO's outburst: "Rules are the same for every player of ours. Now we can carry on"
- 30 Sep 19:00 TORINO - 3 Serie A giants on sensation BARRECA. New long-term contract offered
- 30 Sep 18:45 AS MONACO - 2 English and 2 Italian main suitors for BAKAYOKO
- 30 Sep 18:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Ligue 1 rivals for Pescara on Modibo DIAKITE
- 30 Sep 18:16 CHELSEA, Conte: "Important to have a good relationship with Abramovich"
- 30 Sep 17:59 CHELSEA, Conte: "I don't have a magic wand to change everything"
- 30 Sep 17:45 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Both Liverpool clubs keen on Iñaki WILLIAMS
- 30 Sep 17:30 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY sign young titanic defender SOUTTAR from Dundee Utd
- 30 Sep 17:15 AC MILAN - Eyes on Dortmund's defensive allrounder GINTER
- 30 Sep 17:00 HULL CITY, Phelan: "I need the club to decide contract terms, once and for all"
- 30 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Training England? Why not, someday?"
- 30 Sep 16:30 GALATASARAY, Sneijder: "Special bond with INTER MILAN. But I'm happy here, and I want to stay"
- 30 Sep 16:15 MAN. UNITED Swedish 18-year old target KARLSSON: "Fun to be compared to IBRA"
- 30 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID hoping to challenge Barça in tempting Juventus star DYBALA
- 30 Sep 15:45 SPORTING LISBON offer Real and United target GELSON MARTINS a new contract
- 30 Sep 15:30 LAZIO - Parolo to be soon signed on a new long-term contract
- 30 Sep 15:15 OFFICIAL - FC KOLN sign Salih OZCAN on a new contract
- 30 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL - Keen on Celtic wonder Moussa DEMBELE
- 30 Sep 14:50 CHELSEA, Conte: "Terry did not recover"
- 30 Sep 14:45 INTER MILAN challenging city rivals on VRSALJKO
- 30 Sep 14:30 MANCHESTER UNITED - A Brazilian youngster tested
- 30 Sep 14:15 NAPOLI put maxi-release clause on HYSAJ's new contract
- 30 Sep 14:00 AC MILAN - Simone ZAZA on target
- 30 Sep 13:44 GENOA - Simeone Jr: "I want to become better than my dad, but I have to improve"
- 30 Sep 13:13 CELTIC - Three European top clubs keen on Moussa Dembele
- 30 Sep 12:48 INTER - Joao Mario on the way to recover, he might be selected for ROMA
- 30 Sep 12:21 OFFICIAL - Jacob pens new deal with WEST BROMWICH ALBION
- 30 Sep 12:03 SWANSEA - Guidolin on the brink, Klinsmann among the candidates to replace him
- 30 Sep 11:47 CHELSEA star Lampard 'never envisaged playing for MAN CITY'
- 30 Sep 11:24 ZORYA - Vernydub: "We were unlucky against MAN UNITED"
- 30 Sep 10:59 BAYERN MUNCHEN could miss Robben this summer
- 30 Sep 10:52 JUVENTUS - Dyabala deal to be extended
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 30 Sep 10:38 ROMA, Totti: "Good result with a great performance"
- 30 Sep 10:29 EVERTON - Lukaku : "I'm not a top striker yet"
- 30 Sep 10:13 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "This point is important for the future"
- 30 Sep 09:48 WEST HAM, Bilic: "I am concentrated just on training"
- 30 Sep 09:21 ARSENAL and CHELSEA linked again with move for Morata
- 30 Sep 09:00 MAN UNITED - Mourinho bemoans on Liverpool clash timing "A poisoned gift"
- 30 Sep 08:33 CHELSEA tried to sign Pogba last summer
- 30 Sep 08:04 STOKE CITY target MONACO midfielder Bakayoko
- 29 Sep 23:30 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "It was difficult, we had to score more goals"
Currently on a deal with Napoli until June 2019, and again not appointed with a first row position in the squad, mainly due to Faouzi Ghoulam's presence, Croatian international left-back Ivan Strinic (29) has been repeatedly rumoured to be leaving, back during last summer, an
Currently on a deal with Napoli until June 2019, and again not appointed with a first row position in the squad, mainly due to Faouzi Ghoulam's pr
While Italian 59-year old manager Cesare Prandelli has just agreed terms with Valencia CF, and is being signed on a 2 year-deal, a poll launched by Sp
Already in talks with Pescara, French-Malian centre-back Modibo Diakité (29), now a free agent after his latest experiences at Sampdo
FC Köln announced having signed German Under-19 international midfielder Salih Özcan (18) on a new contract, lasting until June 2020.