REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 22 Oct 00:00 INTER, Obi's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 21 Oct 23:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Interest for Samba confirmed
- 21 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ MONACO, Two clubs after Kurzawa
- 21 Oct 22:29 ENGLAND/ WBA, Also Napoli after Pocognoli
- 21 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ JUVE, Buffon about to renew
- 21 Oct 21:30 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Offer for Podolski ready
- 21 Oct 21:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Working to renew Mertens' deal
- 21 Oct 20:37 CROATIA/ HNK RIJEKA, Auction for Kramaric
- 21 Oct 20:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Dessena renews with Cagliari
- 21 Oct 19:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Two goalkeepers on the wishlist
- 21 Oct 19:39 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Moisander
- 21 Oct 19:20 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Quintero renews with Santos Laguna
- 21 Oct 19:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Cuadrado about to extend
- 21 Oct 18:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Castillejo renews with Malaga
- 21 Oct 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Muntari: "Coach Inzaghi is helping us, he’s on our backs"
- 21 Oct 18:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Monitoring Imbula
- 21 Oct 18:04 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Podolski has laughed off suggestions that he could join Spurs
- 21 Oct 17:44 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Fans offered refunds
- 21 Oct 16:01 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Fellaini: "I’m happy here. The manager trusts me"
- 21 Oct 16:00 ITALY/ MILAN, Torres lured by Di Matteo
- 21 Oct 15:44 ITALY/ JUVE, One time Arsenal target Sebastian Giovinco
- 21 Oct 15:31 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Reds compete with Juve fpr Ruben Neves,
- 21 Oct 15:15 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Ready an offer for Pique
- 21 Oct 15:00 ARSENAL, Monreal on Bellerin: "He's got a great career ahead of him"
- 21 Oct 14:45 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, January move for Ings ready
- 21 Oct 14:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Attempt for Huntelaar on tabs
- 21 Oct 14:15 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Mussis on target
- 21 Oct 14:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS: Duel to Atletico, Chelsea and Arsenal for Callejon
- 21 Oct 13:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, A new rival towards Lucas Silva
- 21 Oct 13:30 ITALY/ INTER, Winter suggestion for Lestienne
- 21 Oct 13:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City loan Wilkinson out
- 21 Oct 13:00 ARGENTINA/ ARSENAL, Possible long-term renewal for Nervo
- 21 Oct 12:45 JUVENTUS & EMPOLI, Two German suitors for Rugani's loan
- 21 Oct 12:30 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Keen on Mariano
- 21 Oct 12:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Approaching Auro
- 21 Oct 12:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Full responsibility on us, but Hull's first goal was not regular"
- 21 Oct 11:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Survey on Barragán
- 21 Oct 11:30 FRANCE/ O.M., Cheyrou might resign
- 21 Oct 11:15 ITALY/ INTER, 6 million euros offer for Baselli ready
- 21 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira harder and harder to get in January
- 21 Oct 10:40 HAMBURG & HERTHA, Keen on Rosenberg
- 21 Oct 10:17 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro again likely to leave
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 09:39 GERMANY/ WOLSFBURG, Eyes on Pazzini
- 21 Oct 09:19 FRANCE/ O.M., Survey on Darmian
- 21 Oct 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Valdes decreases fee request
- 21 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Levante fire Mendilibar
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
Gunners forward Lukas Podolski has laughed off suggestions that he could complete a shock move to North London rivals Tottenham.
Posting a link to the story, Podolski wrote ... "Hell will freeze over before this transfer would happen".
Interviewed by FcInternews.it, Renzo Contratto, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Joel Obi, has declared: "Away on loan in January if he won't
Interviewed by Barça TV, Barcelona wingback Dani Alves has declared: "My future? I am happy to have remained, there are many rumors, but I
Arsenal left backwing Nacho Monreal talked about Gunners youngster Hector Bellerin's remarkable Premier League debut performances and impact: &quo
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
As reported by Kicker, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus: "To be