REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "This team has Blancos DNA"
19.09.2012 13.27 by TM W
© foto di Acero/Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho appeared in the press room at the Santiago Bernabéu after Real Madrid’s great comeback against Manchester City in a magical Champions League opener. The Portuguese coach was extremely pleased with the work of his players: "I'm proud of my team regardless of the result. This team has Real Madrid DNA. What it means is that it shows pride. To die on the field is not something easy to ask. Today the players have gone home tired. That has only happened on the day of the Barcelona matches." Additionally, the Whites coach praised the image that Real Madrid gave: "It is difficult to play better than we played today. The team has shown tremendous commitment and everyone is happy without exception." He told Madrid fans of their intentions in this competition: "Real Madrid wants to get the historic tenth title and we will fight for it."
The Real Madrid coach's first words were to praise his players for always believing that they could win: "I'm proud of my team whatever the result was. I felt that things were not going in the right direction. Real Madrid can lose matches like tonight, fighting like animals, but not playing like in Getafe and Seville. It was important to get that feeling that when they want to, they can".
Mourinho went on to stress that the team was able to change their mental state: "In Seville we had players who did not win a ball in ninety minutes. We did not win a rebound as a team and we just ended up tired after the match. Today was the opposite. The team was solid, compact, recovered balls and were committed as a team to play aggressively. We dominated and we won. City did not get a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes."
He stressed the spirit of his players, always believing in the win until the end: "The team suffered. Conceding a goal and keeping going. Scoring and keeping going ... that is Real Madrid. That's honourable. I am nobody in the history of Real Madrid. I have just arrived, but as a coach I have the right to say that the Real Madrid wants to see this commitment. They want more quality and so do I. We had it in the past and we will have it again. It is difficult to play better than we played today. There was a tremendous commitment from the team and everyone is happy. Not only to rediscover last year’s DNA but also to win a big match. We have three points and we have taken an important step towards qualifying from a tough group."
The Portuguese coach also spoke of how he sees the Champions League group tonight's opponent, what he expected and how they played: "The group is very difficult and I do not think we can do what we did last season with 18 points. Every point will be difficult. Manchester were thinking of getting a draw. They were very defensive in the first half. I was prepared for that type of play. Then Mancini changed things. They scored the goal and the game opened. Khedira started moving and I finished with Modric and Alonso. The result meant that decisions had to be made. It was a very nice match for football fans."
Talking about starting Varane instead of Sergio Ramos, the Portuguese explained that "Ramos did not play because the coach thought it best that he did not to play. We're talking about a player in the starting eleven, a great, but I want to make clear that I have no problems with him whatsoever. It's a purely football decision. I thought that Varane and Pepe were better together to play today."
About his happiness after Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal, Mourinho said it was a normal reaction considering the tension: "The celebration doesn’t matter, the match matters. People who love football enjoyed the match all over the world". He re-emphasised his team’s commitment tonight: "There were some people leaving the stadium at 2-1. I felt everyone very committed. I had the feeling that we could lose and sad for those people. Tomorrow they would be being influenced by journalists. But in the end my feeling has been that they understood the team’s commitment, because you can lose but you have to fight to the end. This is Real Madrid."
The Whites’ coach insisted that his players learned to how react in the difficult match against Manchester City: "We played well against Barcelona at home. We won the Super Cup by leaving everything out on the field and then happened what happened. Fifteen days for an international break, but I mean to say that you can lose matches playing like that. Not like we did in Seville and Getafe. Now all I worry about is the here and now. A team like Real Madrid cannot say that we won the Cup and that we are no longer interested winning or in the league ..."
Mourinho summed up the squad’s feelings and the goals that they have in mind for this season: "Real Madrid wants to win the historic tenth and we will fight for it. We have to go for all of the titles that we can. We’ll end up with them all or with the Super Cup, but you have to give everything in every match. Football is great when you leave everything on the field."
Finally, he indicated that he was prepared to fit any criticism for the starting eleven that he picked: "I expected criticism from all around the world. That Ramos was left out, that the creative players had been left out, that Higuaín does not have a goal scoring history in the Champions League, that Coentrão was more in better form that Marcelo ... I was prepared. I have a hacker who was ready before the match had started."
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 24 Oct 15:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Closing on Caceres' renewal
- 24 Oct 14:59 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Pasqual on target
- 24 Oct 14:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Pogba signs long-term renewal with Juventus
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Keen on Marlon
- 24 Oct 12:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT: Liga, Premier, Serie A and Bundes suitors for Zambrano
- 24 Oct 11:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Magnanelli's renewal on arrival
- 24 Oct 10:57 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tracking Abate: a target hard to get
- 24 Oct 10:27 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Eyes on Mukhtar
- 24 Oct 09:59 ITALY/ PALERMO, Edgar Barreto available for a renewal
- 24 Oct 09:29 GERMANY/ WERDER, Eyes on Bezjak
- 24 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suso farther
- 24 Oct 08:30 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Auction for Mendoza
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 24 Oct 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Caiazzo: "Galtier's future? We'll see"
- 24 Oct 06:59 BORUSSIA, Klopp: "I won't leave"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Oct 00:00 PARMA, De Ceglie's agent: "Here on permanent basis? We'll see"
- 23 Oct 23:27 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Palmeira renews with Belenenses
- 23 Oct 22:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement for Shaqiri
- 23 Oct 22:29 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Eyes on Carrillo
- 23 Oct 21:59 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Also Barcelona after Acheampong
- 23 Oct 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Everton Ribeiro
- 23 Oct 21:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Orión renews with Boca
- 23 Oct 20:37 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Fumu Tamuzo
- 23 Oct 20:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Valdes is training with United
- 23 Oct 19:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Obiak could be loaned out
- 23 Oct 19:39 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Eyes on Doumbia
- 23 Oct 19:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Reveillere
- 23 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I'd love Messi to break the record at the Bernabeu"
- 23 Oct 18:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Merson: "Gunners must spend"
- 23 Oct 18:34 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli matter closed "
- 23 Oct 18:16 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa: deal extension until 2018 for Kucka
- 23 Oct 17:58 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Besiktas wants Petr Cech
- 23 Oct 17:31 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Could arrive PSG offer for Acheampong
- 23 Oct 17:16 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Poli: "I work well with Abate and Honda"
- 23 Oct 16:59 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Hernandez: "Here I'm happy"
- 23 Oct 16:44 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Lampard could extend City loan
- 23 Oct 16:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Eyes on Carrillo
- 23 Oct 16:22 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti quits definitively the club
- 23 Oct 16:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland extend Beadling's deal
- 23 Oct 16:00 ARSENAL & BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Eyes on Tielemans
- 23 Oct 15:45 ITALY/ TORINO, Increasing chances to sign Jonathan Rodriguez
- 23 Oct 15:30 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Inan:"We got a defeat that we did not want or expect"
- 23 Oct 15:15 ANDERLECHT, Hasi furious after Arsenal defeat: "We'd have deserved to win, referee should take full responsibility"
- 23 Oct 15:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Britt to Maidenhead
- 23 Oct 14:45 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Keen on Kramaric
- 23 Oct 14:30 CHELSEA, Terry satisfied: "We are showing all our depth"
- 23 Oct 14:16 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Ronaldo in better form than Messi"
Through the following official note, Juventus announced having extended their deal with French international star midfielder Paul Pogba (21) until June 2019:
"Juventus Football Club is delighted to announce that Paul Pogba has today put pen to paper on a new contract whic
Interviewed by Parmalive, Carlo Pallavicino, agent of 28-year-old left back Paolo De Ceglie, currently playing for Parma on loan with right to buy fro
Cristiano Ronaldo is in no hurry to overtake Raul's European goalscoring record as he knows he'll "beat his record today or another game&
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger kept commenting upon Champions League victory over Anderlecht: “It will help to improve confidence and I&rs
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
Arjen Robben said a tactical tweak was key to FC Bayern München's emphatic victory at AS Roma.
"Afterwards it's always easy to ta