INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 09.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 28 Jun 12:51 JUVENTUS, Dani Alves introduces himself: "It was time to leave Barça. Bianconeri are THE icon of Italian football"
- 28 Jun 11:48 FC INTER - Thohir: "Proud of the strategic partnership formalised today with Suning"
- 22 Jun 18:51 OFFICIAL - Empoli buy Buchel back from JUVENTUS
- 21 Jun 16:54 OFFICIAL - AC MILAN: El Shaarawy has been permanently sold to AS ROMA
- 15 Jun 22:15 OFFICIAL - Palermo extend contract with Portuguese talent Embalo
- 15 Jun 20:45 LAZIO - Negotiation with Bielsa ongoing in Argentina
- 11 Jun 08:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Spartak Moscow in talks with Sampdoria for FERNANDO
- 10 Jun 10:54 JUVENTUS, Eye on Pellè
- 08 Jun 17:30 AS ROMA, Chelsea cleared of wrongdoing over the loan of Salah
- 08 Jun 17:16 LAZIO, Other troubles with Adriano: Barça will not let him leave for free
- 03 Jun 09:44 AC MILAN, Unai Emery gives green light: € 1.5 millions resignation to FC Seville
- 31 May 23:38 Italia, Bernardeschi's father: "Federico's convocation is a dream"
- 28 May 15:23 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'am dealing with Chinese e for this reason I study Chinese"
- 25 May 21:41 Inter, Zanetti: "Medel is important for us, it remains here"
- 23 May 22:15 Lazio, postive meeting with Prandelli
- 23 May 18:11 Napoli, the promise made by Higuain to Sarri: "I'll see you in Dimaro"
- 23 May 18:01 Inter, Moratti and Suning agreement: "Possible news soon"
- 23 May 17:57 Zanetti: "Simeone would coach Inter, but Mancini is a great coach"
- 23 May 17:45 Roma, Pallotta arrives in June. Totti and stadium on the agenda
- 23 May 17:06 Seria A, top 11 of Italian Championship according to UEFA
- 23 May 16:53 Inter, fixed Brozovic price: costs 25 mln euro
- 17 May 22:16 Milan, Bacca: "Saturday we have the opportunity to raise a new cup"
- 17 May 20:55 Fiorentina, Zarate: "I'am happy for my season in Florence"
- 17 May 20:10 Roma, Sabatini: Digne? "We will find an agreement with Paris Saint Germain"
- 17 May 12:20 LAZIO, Defining agreement with Jorge Sampaoli as next manager
- 16 May 16:13 LAZIO, Klose: "Leaving is not my decision"
- 16 May 09:35 TURIN to appoint Giampaolo if Ventura leaves
- 15 May 18:30 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting with River Plate on Alario
- 15 May 16:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Raul Asencio extend his deal with Genoa
- 12 May 20:15 Milan, ag. Bacca: "Future? We will talk with club after the Italian Cup final"
- 09 May 07:06 ATALANTA, Club icon Bellini quits after having scored last goal
- 06 May 09:52 PALERMO - Vazquez to leave
- 06 May 07:58 AS ROMA, Sabatini on Giallorossi midfield stars: "I want to keep Nainggolan and Pjanic"
- 05 May 11:33 VERONA - Luca Toni announces retirement
- 05 May 08:55 LAZIO, De Vrij hits pitch back after 9 months long injury
- 04 May 11:38 LAZIO - To move for Ben Arfa
- 04 May 11:01 HELLAS VERONA, Luca Toni announces quitting
- 04 May 10:31 NAPOLI - Hamsik: "I can't even imagine what would happen"
- 04 May 10:14 LAZIO - Pioli: "Happy for Claudio"
- 02 May 21:19 SERIE A - Genoa - Roma - FULL TIME
- 02 May 14:44 JUVENTUS - Morata to stay
- 02 May 10:03 MILAN - Ready to join the chase for Vilhena
- 02 May 09:49 JUVENTUS tracking BARCELONA's Mascherano
- 01 May 10:43 JUVENTUS - Set for Pogba extension
- 30 Apr 20:35 SERIE A - ChievoVerona 0 - 0 Fiorentina - HALF TIME
- 30 Apr 18:46 SERIE A - Udinese 1 - 5 Torino - LIVE SCORE
- 30 Apr 17:26 JUVENTUS - Front runners for Batshuayi
- 30 Apr 17:16 SERIE A - Udinese 0 - 1 Torino - LIVE SCORE
- 30 Apr 15:20 LAZIO - To appoint Fatih Terim
- 30 Apr 12:43 JUVENTUS - Target Kante if Pogba leaves
- 30 Apr 12:20 ROMA - De Sanctis to extend his contract
- 30 Apr 12:11 JUVENTUS - Bonucci keen on Serie A stay
- 30 Apr 11:08 NAPOLI - Mertens: "I'm fine here, but I need an extension to remain"
- 30 Apr 10:53 ANDERLECHT - Praet to join Fiorentina
- 30 Apr 09:53 FIORENTINA - Mazzarri to replace Sousa?
- 30 Apr 09:41 JUVENTUS- Neto to leave
- 29 Apr 10:09 FIORENTINA - Join the chase for Driussi
- 29 Apr 09:46 LAZIO - Biglia to leave
- 28 Apr 17:21 ROMA - El Shaarawy wants to stay
- 28 Apr 16:43 TORINO - Paredes first target
- 28 Apr 12:46 ROMA - Pjanic or Nainggolan to leave
- 28 Apr 12:22 ROMA - Caceres in the spotlight
- 28 Apr 08:42 INTER - Mancini to accept Italy job
- 28 Apr 08:29 LAZIO - To bid for Pellé
- 27 Apr 15:12 JUVENTUS - Oscar-Isco to replace Cuadrado-Morata
- 27 Apr 14:53 FIORENTINA - Tottenham set to move for Kalinic
- 27 Apr 14:42 JUVENTUS - Evra: "I've not take a decision yet"
- 27 Apr 12:42 JUVENTUS - Eyes on Liverpool target Zielinski
- 26 Apr 20:09 TRANSFER MARKET - Two clubs interested in AS ROMA's Iago Falque
- 26 Apr 19:33 JUVENTUS - Allegri gets contract extension
- 26 Apr 13:24 INTER - Offered Thauvin
- 26 Apr 12:17 JUVENTUS - Morata uncertain about future
- 26 Apr 11:57 FIORENTINA - Eyes on Praet and Missiroli
- 26 Apr 11:44 LAZIO - Time to choose the manager
- 26 Apr 11:32 TORINO - set to bid for Iago Falque
- 26 Apr 10:39 INTER - Ajax Sporting Director: "No meeting set for El Ghazi"
- 26 Apr 01:09 FIORENTINA - Kalinic not eager to leave
- 25 Apr 20:45 JUVENTUS - Allegri to extend his contract
- 25 Apr 20:33 ROMA - Szczesny: "Roma and Arsenal are in negotiations"
- 25 Apr 20:06 JUVENTUS - Marotta: "Cavani? He is an opportunity"
- 25 Apr 19:51 INTER - Man United to beat Nerazzurri for Feghouli
- 25 Apr 19:50 Carpi v Empoli 1 -0 FT score
- 25 Apr 19:12 LAZO - Borini set for Serie A return
- 25 Apr 17:52 SERIE A - Verona 2-1 Milan - Final Score
- 25 Apr 17:29 SERIE A - Verona 1-1 Milan - Live Score
- 24 Apr 21:42 SERIE A - Fiorentina 1 - 2 Juventus - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 20:49 SERIE A - Fiorentina 0 - 1 Juventus - Half Time Result
- 24 Apr 16:00 SERIE A/ 14:00 KO – Full-time scores
- 24 Apr 14:49 SERIE A/ 14:00 BST Games – Halftime scores
- 23 Apr 20:43 SERIE A - Inter Milan 1-1 Udinese (Half Time)
- 23 Apr 19:15 INTER v UDINESE- Official Line Ups
- 23 Apr 11:29 JUVENTUS - Keen on Tourè and Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:52 JUVENTUS - André Gomes first choice in midfield
- 23 Apr 10:41 MILAN - El Ghazi could join rivals
- 23 Apr 10:33 LAZIO - Gabbiadini or Lapadula to replace Klose
- 23 Apr 09:33 ATALANTA - Cigarini wants to stay
- 23 Apr 09:14 INTER - Jovetic to stay
- 23 Apr 08:57 SERIE A - Roma v Napoli: Predicted Line Ups
- 23 Apr 08:08 INTER - Join the race with Juventus and Milan for Gabriel Jesus
- 22 Apr 14:01 INTER - £4m for Ansaldi
After having announced Nicolas N'Koulou as a new player of theirs, and being about to officially sign Emanuel Mammana, Olympique Lyon are soon expected to disclose their eminent yields, mostly Samuel Umtiti (who's likely to join Barcelona FC) and Alexandre Lacazette.
Attending his first press conference as Juventus player, 33 years old Brazilian star Dani Alves stated:
"I chose 23 as my number, same one as
During FC Seville promotional season ticket press conference, Rojblancos chairman, José Castro, talked about in and out negotiations:
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
Toulouse announced having extended their contracts with French Under-17 international goalkeeper Alban Lafont (17) and French Under-19 inter
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici