INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 10.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 21 Aug 08:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We need a second striker, but.."
- 20 Aug 17:44 AC MILAN, Niang: "The loan period in France helped me develop"
- 20 Aug 00:00 CHIEVO, Nember: "We are not after Lazzari"
- 19 Aug 10:38 UEL, squad list for Stjarnan v Inter
- 19 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Storari's agent: "Nothing new about Sassuolo"
- 18 Aug 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 17 Aug 09:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez: "Khedira? I always talk to him..."
- 15 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal going nowhere"
- 14 Aug 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "His future? It's up to the club"
- 13 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner: "I will stay and renew"
- 12 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Darmian not for sale"
- 11 Aug 18:44 AC MILAN, Armero: "I arrive in a great team, I want to find space here and do well"
- 11 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler: "I want to stay"
- 10 Aug 06:00 FIORENTINA, Roncaglia: "I could leave"
- 09 Aug 00:00 INTER, Campagnaro's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 08 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Dzemaili: "Honoured by Sevilla interest"
- 07 Aug 18:00 INTER, Osvaldo: "I want to be a key performer here"
- 07 Aug 11:11 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Menez showed the right spirit and looked fit"
- 07 Aug 01:13 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We really want to bounce back"
- 06 Aug 19:02 INTER, Hernanes: "We want to show we’re capable of big things"
- 06 Aug 06:00 JUVENTUS, Agnelli: “Internationalisation the way forward"
- 05 Aug 14:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I need 10 goals a season"
- 05 Aug 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Osti: "We are after Britos, but.."
- 04 Aug 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "We are keeping our word"
- 03 Aug 09:00 INTER, Schelotto's agent: "Southampton? We'll see,,"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 02:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will stay"
- 31 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "Vidal will stay"
- 30 Jul 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Also Real after him"
- 29 Jul 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? It's up to him"
- 28 Jul 06:00 INTER, Campagnaro: "I have one year on my contract, we'll see.."
- 27 Jul 06:00 TORINO, Darmian: "My future? The president knows what I want"
- 26 Jul 02:00 INTER, Icardi's agent: "No contacts with Monaco"
- 25 Jul 11:42 INTER, Nike unveil new away kit for 2014/15
- 25 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 24 Jul 19:05 INTER, Claire Lewis joins club as Marketing Director
- 24 Jul 10:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 02:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 02:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 19:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 12:13 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We're as strong as Juventus and Roma
- 21 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "I will stay"
- 20 Jul 08:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "Medel? I don't think he's one of our players"
- 19 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "I will try to keep Cuadrado"
- 18 Jul 02:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "I will stay"
- 17 Jul 08:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "Never thought about joining Juve"
- 16 Jul 19:45 JUVENTUS, Allegri's first words as Bianconeri manager: "I'll need to win for winning fans over. No widespread changes, happy to work with Pirlo again"
- 16 Jul 02:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Juventus have lost a great man"
- 15 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 14 Jul 08:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honored by United's interest"
- 13 Jul 08:00 FIORENTINA, Valero: "I am not leaving"
- 12 Jul 02:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "He could still join Milan"
- 11 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Vrsaljko won't join. Cerci.. who knows"
- 10 Jul 02:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Iturbe? We'll see.."
- 09 Jul 02:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "Klose is not for sale"
- 08 Jul 02:00 FIORENTINA, Pradè: "No official offers for Cuadrado"
- 07 Jul 08:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "Don't know anything about Barcelona"
- 04 Jul 02:00 GENOA. Vrsaljko's agent: "No news about his future"
- 03 Jul 02:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He is happy here"
- 02 Jul 10:50 JUVENTUS, Barzagli undergoes surgery in Finland
- 01 Jul 02:00 INTER, Taider: "I will stay"
- 30 Jun 18:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 30 Jun 15:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi about FIGC: "The hour has come for change"
- 28 Jun 02:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "Fiorentina agreable destination"
- 26 Jun 02:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic's agent: "Don't know anything about Lazio"
- 25 Jun 19:00 AC MILAN, Balotelli has hit back at his critics
- 25 Jun 02:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "He is about to join Chievo"
- 24 Jun 02:00 LAZIO, Perea's agent: "He's going nowhere"
- 23 Jun 02:00 MILAN, B. Berlusconi: "Balotelli is not irreplaceable"
- 22 Jun 08:00 FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi: "Udinese and Cagliari agreable destinations"
- 21 Jun 02:00 INTER, Krhin's agent: "Happy to be back"
- 20 Jun 08:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "Italian and foreign clubs after him"
- 19 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We still don't know if he will stay"
- 18 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Radosevic's agent: "He's looking for a team where he can play"
- 17 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "No agreement for the new contract"
- 17 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He's like to to end his career in Naples"
- 16 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "We are not seeking defenders or goalkeepers"
- 14 Jun 02:00 INTER, Rolando: "I would like to remain, but..."
- 13 Jun 18:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi: "Our aim is to get qualified to Champions League"
- 13 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Cristante's agent: "Benfica after him, but he's not for sale"
- 12 Jun 02:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "Besiktas is an option"
- 11 Jun 02:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "Monaco are not after him"
- 10 Jun 02:00 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella's agent: "Galatasaray? Too early"
- 09 Jun 18:26 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Inzaghi " I thank President Berlusconi and all the club for the faith"
- 09 Jun 02:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I would like to stay"
- 08 Jun 08:00 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "I would like to stay"
- 07 Jun 02:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "No contacts with Besiktas"
- 06 Jun 08:00 INTER, Andreolli's agent: "He will definitely stay"
- 05 Jun 02:00 INTER, Rolando's agent: "His future? First we must talk with Porto"
- 04 Jun 20:31 AC MILAN, Marcello Montolivo: "President has been supportive"
- 04 Jun 18:13 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW- Inter: also Monaco interested in Bardi
- 04 Jun 02:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Gonalons? I don't talk with Aulas"
- 03 Jun 02:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani's agent: "The new contract? After the World Cup"
- 02 Jun 02:00 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella: "Fiorentina? It's an option"
- 01 Jun 08:00 TORINO, Immobile: "I am joining Borussia"
- 31 May 02:00 INTER, Samuel: "I don't know where I'll go"
- 30 May 02:00 NAPOLI, Reina: "I can't think about my future"
- 29 May 02:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "He will stay"
- 21 Aug 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Vargas joins QPR
- 21 Aug 21:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Jose Angel renews with Elche
- 21 Aug 20:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio sign Gentiletti
- 21 Aug 20:39 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Samaris about to join
- 21 Aug 20:20 ITALY/ ROMA, Back for Santon
- 21 Aug 20:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Alef joins OM
- 21 Aug 19:45 ITALY/ PALERMO, Bamba likely to join
- 21 Aug 19:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Amkar sign Shavaev
- 21 Aug 19:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mission for Rabiot
- 21 Aug 18:53 ENGLAND/ BURNLEY, A host of clubs are weighing up a move for McGugan
- 21 Aug 18:40 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eye on Lenglet
- 21 Aug 18:29 FRANCE/ MONACO, Wallace is closer
- 21 Aug 18:18 ENGLAND/ WBA, Irvine confirms Georgios Samaras is among group
- 21 Aug 18:05 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Nolito joins Celta Vigo
- 21 Aug 16:31 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, To agree £16m fee for Balotelli
- 21 Aug 16:14 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Close the arrival of Anderson from United
- 21 Aug 16:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Chiriches to replace Benatia
- 21 Aug 15:43 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Parma, Amauri's agent: "His future is here"
- 21 Aug 15:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Palermo: Bacinovic leaves
- 21 Aug 15:14 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Alves: "I've a deal until 2016 and I'm happy here"
- 21 Aug 14:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Espanyol: Sergio Garcia has extended
- 21 Aug 14:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria asked to leave"
- 21 Aug 13:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Lucas Silva
- 21 Aug 13:36 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Lestienne
- 21 Aug 13:24 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Approaching Emeghara
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ziegler about to resign
- 21 Aug 12:48 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Assault on United for Anderson is ready
- 21 Aug 12:36 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Relevant steps forward towards Benatia
- 21 Aug 12:24 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, 2 Premier League suitors for Bas Dost
- 21 Aug 12:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Cetout joins Nancy
- 21 Aug 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A pursuer for Rossoneri veteran Bonera
- 21 Aug 11:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, An Argentinian suitor for Gonzalo Rodriguez
- 21 Aug 11:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Brahimi: "I'm happy here, but I dream of PSG"
- 21 Aug 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: agreement with PSG for signing Rabiot is sealed
- 21 Aug 11:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus, scouts in Liege for Kawashima
- 21 Aug 10:45 FRANCE/ O.L., Umtiti might leave
- 21 Aug 10:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Destro is the new name on tabs
- 21 Aug 10:21 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, in talks to sign AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli
- 21 Aug 10:15 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Welliton leaves Spartak Moscow for Turkish destination
- 21 Aug 10:00 TURKEY/ AKHISAR BELEDIYESPOR, Zokora about to be announced
- 21 Aug 09:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Rafa Silva renews with Braga
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 21 Aug 09:00 MONACO, Vasilyev: "The market? The team has been already built"
- 21 Aug 08:45 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Panionios sign Ibagaza
- 21 Aug 08:45 BAYER, Kiessling: "I am not moving to England"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 21 Aug 08:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We need a second striker, but.."
- 21 Aug 08:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Plan for signing Balotelli
Interviewed after the troubled 0-0 draw obtained in Istanbul against Besiktas, Arsenal newcomer Calum Chambers commented: "I've been working my way into Arsenal really well. That's helped my confidence, I've dropped back into centre back and I'm really enjoyi
Juventus General Manager Giuseppe Marotta has declared: "In the last 10 days of the transfer market we'll see the oportunities that we'll
Luka Modric spoke of his satisfaction after renewing with Real Madrid. “I’m very happy, today is an important day for me. I’d like t
Interviewed after the troubled 0-0 draw obtained in Istanbul against Besiktas, Arsenal newcomer Calum Chambers commented: "I've been working
Interviewed by ESPN, PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has declared about the possibility to end his career at the French club: "I have a contract u
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr