INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 09.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 25 Oct 23:59 JUVENTUS - Agnelli: "In 3 year we have the potential to reach the heights of Europe’s biggest clubs"
- 25 Oct 19:46 JUVENTUS - Nedved: "Higuain? We are absolutely delighted"
- 25 Oct 07:31 INTER MILAN, de Boer: "We need a win"
- 24 Oct 16:03 INTER MILAN to cash buy-back sum from Hellas for BESSA
- 23 Oct 10:35 INTER - New owners to appoint Blanc if De Boer is sacked
- 22 Oct 18:36 FIORENTINA back for SAPONARA
- 21 Oct 23:32 JUVENTUS scouting four 2000-born wonderkids
- 21 Oct 23:03 AC MILAN - Poli: "Proud of my 100 appearances with rossoneri"
- 21 Oct 20:43 JUVENTUS - Eyes on PSG 1999-born DIABY
- 20 Oct 17:43 EMPOLI willing to sign DIONISI from Frosinone in January
- 20 Oct 13:32 AC MILAN- Bonaventura: "I expected to find more chaos"
- 19 Oct 20:37 NAPOLI - Milik already working in the gym, he can recover for January
- 19 Oct 18:03 OFFICIAL - LAZIO sign PAROLO on new contract
- 19 Oct 16:36 OFFICIAL - SAMPDORIA sign PRADE as new executive
- 19 Oct 14:16 LAZIO target young French striker HALLER
- 18 Oct 20:08 GENOA might be back for AC Milan's ZAPATA in January
- 18 Oct 16:44 ATALANTA deny Lazio being interested in PALOSCHI
- 18 Oct 16:01 SAMPDORIA to name Daniele PRADE after city derby
- 18 Oct 07:57 TORINO, Mihajlovic: "We can beat anyone"
- 17 Oct 16:54 AC MILAN - Legendary N° 6 Franco BARESI to have a step forward in top brass
- 17 Oct 14:30 INTER - Icardi: today the club and De Boer will choose if dismiss him as a captain
- 17 Oct 13:02 JUVENTUS keen to keep Neto, he will be Buffon's heir
- 17 Oct 09:57 AC MILAN, Montella: "I can feel the air of Europe now"
- 17 Oct 09:03 INTER MILAN, Ausilio: "We will talk to Icardi before making a decision"
- 16 Oct 15:24 INTER MILAN, Zanetti: "We cannot accept this behaviour from Icardi"
- 16 Oct 09:31 TORINO - Top striker Belotti will have a € 60m buy-out clause
- 15 Oct 23:38 JUVENTUS, Benatia: "We've been clever tonight. We must always show we deserve this club, and this jersey"
- 15 Oct 21:43 JUVENTUS defeat Udinese and take Serie A over (again)
- 15 Oct 20:25 JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "My son is much better. Now let's kill the league"
- 15 Oct 13:01 INTER MILAN, De Boer: "The important is that we have patience"
- 15 Oct 12:07 ROMA, Spalletti: "we must overcome individual errors"
- 14 Oct 19:33 EXCLUSIVE TMW - GOLDANIGA between PALERMO new contract and SAMPDORIA courtship
- 14 Oct 18:31 BOLOGNA - Winter plan for signing PINILLA
- 14 Oct 15:13 LAZIO - Italian international PAROLO about to be signed on a new contract
- 14 Oct 14:07 BOLOGNA - OIKONOMOU might leave on loan in January
- 14 Oct 11:00 REAL MADRID - CR7: "INTER and JUVE wanted me in 2003, but I preferred MAN UNITED"
- 13 Oct 21:53 ATALANTA, challenging Palermo on Peruvian international TRAUCO
- 13 Oct 18:01 INTER MILAN, Santon after summer troubles: "I was reborn after De Boer joined us. Darmian? He'd be welcome"
- 13 Oct 14:44 AC MILAN - Ambrosini as Club Manager
- 13 Oct 10:59 INTER - Brozovic to join the squad back
- 13 Oct 10:24 MILAN - Abate is the new captain
- 12 Oct 20:54 AC MILAN, Montella: "Fabregas in not the right man to replace Montolivo"
- 12 Oct 20:06 JUVENTUS target Alex MERET as a possible heir for Buffon
- 12 Oct 18:24 NAPOLI might challenge INTER MILAN on ALARIO
- 12 Oct 16:53 NAPOLI scouting Leipzig's Yussuf POULSEN
- 12 Oct 15:26 JUVENTUS - Uruguayan talent BENTANCUR to join in January
- 12 Oct 14:42 SAMPDORIA send scouts for Hungarian international KADAR
- 11 Oct 15:44 AC MILAN, Pasalic's agent: "He's not regretting his choice at all. He's in epic shape"
- 11 Oct 15:12 LAZIO - Regaining plan to sign NETO from Juventus
- 11 Oct 13:16 JUVENTUS - Barcelona chiefs scout Juventus defender Lichtsteiner
- 11 Oct 12:59 JUVENTUS - Dybala: "I'd like to reach Higuain's level"
- 10 Oct 18:54 AC MILAN, Suso: "Leaving Liverpool and joining here was the right choice. No role models, but I've always liked Zidane"
- 10 Oct 15:23 AS ROMA - ITURBE more and more likely to leave in January
- 10 Oct 13:55 NAPOLI - Milik's surgery ok, now he will stop for 4-6 months
- 09 Oct 21:33 NAPOLI, Osvaldo's agent: "Pablo decided to leave football"
- 09 Oct 13:04 JUVENTUS - Pjanic: "Everything is easier with Higuain and Dybala"
- 09 Oct 12:31 MILAN - Raiola: "Donnarumma to stay put? The new Chinese owners will decide"
- 09 Oct 09:57 ROMA, Totti: "Real Madrid pushed at all costs for me"
- 09 Oct 09:29 TORINO, Hart: "The decision to leave City was the best one for me"
- 09 Oct 08:09 INTER, Icardi's wife: "Mauro was close to joining REAL MADRID"
- 08 Oct 16:17 INTER MILAN, Joao Mario: "I have to work and improve"
- 08 Oct 08:35 JUVE face defense emergency as Chiellini gets injured as well
- 07 Oct 22:37 Gabigol: "Happy for the first goal, I want to bring INTER to win trophies"
- 07 Oct 19:01 FIORENTINA, Tello: "I made the right choice, I'd have had a hard time at Barça. Staying here might be good for me"
- 06 Oct 17:01 AS ROMA - De Rossi set for 100-cap UEFA honour
- 06 Oct 15:16 JUVENTUS - Medical report on PJACA: no fibula fracture
- 06 Oct 14:32 OFFICIAL - MIRABELLI announced as next AC MILAN sports director
- 05 Oct 20:32 Donnarumma on his future: "I just think about MILAN, then we'll see"
- 05 Oct 14:46 LAZIO - Young Albanian goalie STRAKOSHA soon to sign new long-term contract
- 05 Oct 12:07 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner: "I feel no existential crisis"
- 05 Oct 11:40 ROMA, Martina: "Dzeko gained confidence in Serie A"
- 05 Oct 08:17 LAZIO want to put a € 35m buy-out clause in De Vrij's new deal
- 05 Oct 07:49 AC MILAN, Paletta's agent: "He wants to stay put, he dreams of playing for Italy again"
- 04 Oct 21:06 OFFICIAL - INTER goalkeeper Radu extends until 2020
- 04 Oct 18:10 INTER MILAN. Biabiany's agent: "He's requested in Italy, France, England and China"
- 04 Oct 17:13 A new Italian suitor for JUAN VARGAS
- 04 Oct 15:59 UDINESE - Suggestion for JANKOVIC as a free agent
- 03 Oct 18:44 OFFICIAL - Gigi DELNERI back to UDINESE as manager
- 03 Oct 17:56 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Our chairman Agnelli is protecting Italian football as a whole. Allegri's doing a great job"
- 03 Oct 11:28 ROMA, Strootman: "These three points are very important"
- 03 Oct 10:40 INTER MILAN, De Boer: "Defeat not deserved, we were in control"
- 03 Oct 10:12 AC MILAN, Montella: "We need to play with a light touch"
- 02 Oct 11:10 Serie A/ EMPOLI v JUVENTUS, Official Line Ups
- 02 Oct 09:34 LAZIO - De Vrij: "Our best game: we want to go back to Europe"
- 01 Oct 22:22 NAPOLI - 3 new contracts on arrival
- 30 Sep 20:30 NAPOLI - A new suitor for STRINIC, but...
- 30 Sep 19:00 TORINO - 3 Serie A giants on sensation BARRECA. New long-term contract offered
- 30 Sep 15:30 LAZIO - Parolo to be soon signed on a new long-term contract
- 30 Sep 14:15 NAPOLI put maxi-release clause on HYSAJ's new contract
- 30 Sep 13:44 GENOA - Simeone Jr: "I want to become better than my dad, but I have to improve"
- 30 Sep 12:48 INTER - Joao Mario on the way to recover, he might be selected for ROMA
- 30 Sep 10:52 JUVENTUS - Dyabala deal to be extended
- 29 Sep 20:20 AC MILAN - Fassone flies to China for closing club trade
- 29 Sep 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FIFA agent Salvini: "Many Serie A clubs rejected SLIMANI for less than half a million"
- 28 Sep 19:30 LAZIO scouting Greuther Furth's Robert ZULJ
- 28 Sep 13:33 MILAN set to extend wonderkid Donnarumma's contract by the end of February
- 28 Sep 08:05 NAPOLI, Jorginho: "We are not thinking about Higuain"
- 27 Sep 23:27 NAPOLI in deal extension talks with INSIGNE jr.
- 27 Sep 22:57 INTER MILAN - Ausilio approaching MOROSINI harder
- 27 Sep 16:32 INTER MILAN eye Gijón's wonderkid JORGE MERE
Lewandowski joined Bayern on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 and is currently under contract with the German champions until 2019. Sportowe Fakty claims the Poland international has agreed to extend his deal until 2021, which will earn last season's Bundesliga
Juventus President Andrea Agnelli, meet the media after today’s shareholders’ assembly at Juventus Stadium.
"In 2006, Italian foot
A powerhouse for Hoffenheim, which he's playing for since 2010/11, German international defensive midfielder/full-back Sebastian Rudy (2
Paris Saint-Germain defender Marquinhos has played down rumours linking him with a move to Barcelona, and insists he is happy with life in the France
Lewandowski joined Bayern on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 and is currently under contract with the German champions until 2019. Spor