INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 10.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 06 Mar 18:15 JUVENTUS, Padoin: "Eager to turn the tables in Florence"
- 06 Mar 11:00 AC MILAN, 6 names for Inzaghi's succession
- 06 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He could stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 18:44 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Albertazzi: "I'm doing well, I've started running again"
- 05 Mar 00:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "My future? I am happy here"
- 04 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Neto's agent: "Juve? We'll see.."
- 03 Mar 00:00 PSG, Menez: "No regrets about PSG"
- 02 Mar 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Icardi will be part of our future"
- 01 Mar 06:00 FIORENTINA, Neto: "I am happy in Florence, but.."
- 28 Feb 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We were about to sign Falcao"
- 27 Feb 20:00 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "I’ve always said that consistency is important"
- 27 Feb 14:22 EUROPA LEAGUE, Eighth finals draws: two national derbys
- 27 Feb 13:26 AS ROMA v FIORENTINA, Europa League Italian derby
- 27 Feb 11:45 INTER, Ranocchia after EL victory over Celtic: "We took some risks, but great performance"
- 27 Feb 00:00 EMPOLI, Valdifiori: "Milan? I am ready"
- 25 Feb 10:14 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "It will be a tough return leg against Borussia"
- 25 Feb 09:58 JUVENTUS, Chiellini about Champions: “Still work to be done”
- 25 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Many clubs after Zapata"
- 24 Feb 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We want Icardi and Handanovic to renew"
- 23 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Montella: "Roma? I am focused on my team"
- 22 Feb 06:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 20 Feb 13:31 INTER, Guarin: "Gutsy display, shame about their third"
- 20 Feb 13:22 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "We should have won it"
- 20 Feb 02:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "Do everything to restore winning ways"
- 19 Feb 19:15 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "The Scudetto is not a given"
- 19 Feb 18:04 ITALY, Feyenoord fans clash with police ahead of Roma clash
- 19 Feb 03:00 AC MILAN, Essien: "We must give a smile to our fans"
- 18 Feb 14:44 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Borja Valero: "I'll end my career here"
- 18 Feb 00:00 INTER, Icardi turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Feb 11:01 TMW - Sacchi: "There are too many 'blacks' in Italian youth teams"
- 17 Feb 00:00 INTER, Podolski: "My future? Next month we'll see"
- 16 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar: "We are working on my new contract"
- 14 Feb 00:00 INTER, Mancini: "Yaya Touré? If he wants to come to Italy.."
- 13 Feb 00:00 INTER, Icardi: "The new contract? I am confident in my agent"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I would be happy to renew"
- 12 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Hamsik's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 11 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Maggio's agent: "No meeting scheduled for the renewal"
- 10 Feb 00:00 PALERMO, Micciché: "Dybala? Many clubs after him"
- 09 Feb 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Allan? Interesting player"
- 08 Feb 09:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "No hurry about his departure"
- 07 Feb 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Yaya Touré? Difficult"
- 06 Feb 00:00 INTER. Osvaldo: "Boca is my dream"
- 05 Feb 00:00 SASSUOLO, Sansone: "I dream of moving back to Bayern"
- 04 Feb 17:14 AS ROMA, Europa League: the Giallorossi’s list of players
- 04 Feb 11:59 AC MILAN, here the new stadium
- 04 Feb 00:00 FIORENTINA, Savic: "Juve? I am happy in Florence"
- 03 Feb 11:54 SAMPDORIA, Eto'o-Mihajlovic fight at first sight: club in trouble
- 02 Feb 00:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I am staying"
- 31 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He will honor his contract"
- 30 Jan 17:55 AS ROMA, Strootman underwent arthroscopic treatment in his left knee today
- 30 Jan 11:53 ENLGAND/ LIVERPOOL, Sturridge expects Gerrard return
- 30 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Bigon: "Selling Inler would be nonsense"
- 29 Jan 15:29 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "We know we’re going through a difficult moment"
- 29 Jan 13:56 INTER, Brozovic: "It's a dream come true for me to be here"
- 29 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We are waiting for Destro's answer"
- 28 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 27 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ederson's agent: "His future? We'll see"
- 26 Jan 15:41 AC MILAN, Menez: "The players are always with Inzaghi"
- 26 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I would like to end my career here"
- 25 Jan 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 24 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Benitez wants to stay"
- 23 Jan 00:00 PARMA, Kodra: "We were about to sign Balotelli"
- 22 Jan 18:02 AC MILAN, Van Ginkel: "I would like to be important for the team"
- 22 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "He could extend his deal"
- 21 Jan 16:44 AC MILAN, Mexes: "We must not look for excuses"
- 21 Jan 00:00 INTER, M'Vila's agent: "QPR are the most interested in him"
- 20 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We want to keep Pogba"
- 19 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Tevez: "I'm not thinking about my future"
- 18 Jan 06:00 ROMA, Sabatini: "Destro will probably stay"
- 17 Jan 00:00 LAZIO, Ledesma's agent: "His future remains uncertain"
- 16 Jan 17:52 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "We put in a convincing performance yesterday"
- 16 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, Essien's agent: "He won't extend his deal"
- 15 Jan 18:13 AC MILAN, Bonaventura: "Cerci is a fast player and he has a great left foot"
- 15 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Gomez's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 14 Jan 18:15 INTER, Shaqiri: "This one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 14 Jan 17:59 AC MILAN, De Jong: "We must continue to work"
- 14 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He won't leave in January"
- 13 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He will leave at the right moment"
- 12 Jan 00:00 JUVE, Marotta: "Gala won't let Sneijder leave"
- 11 Jan 06:00 INTER, Mancini: "The market? We may sign other players"
- 10 Jan 00:00 AS ROMA, Destro's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 09 Jan 00:00 AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "Honoured by Real Madrid's interest"
- 08 Jan 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will remain until June"
- 07 Jan 18:01 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Cerci...We tried to sign him this summer"
- 07 Jan 00:00 INTER, Handanovic: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 05 Jan 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "I am about to renew"
- 04 Jan 06:59 JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "We want to be among the top eight teams on the continent"
- 03 Jan 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pasqual's agent: "Two options for his future"
- 02 Jan 06:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "Next Summer everything can happen"
- 01 Jan 00:00 AS ROMA, Ljajic: "Here for at least ten years"
- 31 Dec 00:00 AC MILAN, Niang's agent: "He will stay"
- 30 Dec 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "No contacts with Fiorentina"
- 29 Dec 15:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alexis: "Am I the star at Gunners? I'm just another player"
- 29 Dec 00:00 LAZIO, Klose: "In January I won't move"
- 28 Dec 06:00 UDINESE, Muriel: "I am about to join Sampdoria"
- 25 Dec 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Gabbiadini won't be our only signing"
- 24 Dec 06:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "As long as they don't kick me out..."
- 23 Dec 00:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "He will remain until the end of the season"
- 22 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We are not after Lennon"
- 21 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We'll do something on the transfer market"
- 06 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Vazquez: "I'll close my career in Belgrano"
- 06 Mar 18:44 ITALY/ JUVE, Eyes on Boetius of Feyenoord.
- 06 Mar 18:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Keita: "He'd be happy to stay"
- 06 Mar 18:15 JUVENTUS, Padoin: "Eager to turn the tables in Florence"
- 06 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Also Barcelona interested in Henderson
- 06 Mar 17:46 ITALY/ INTER, Toulalan: "Future? It's soon, I won't to speak about it"
- 06 Mar 17:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Astori: "I'd like to stay and show my worth"
- 06 Mar 17:21 ITALY/ PARMA, 16 clubs ready to help the the club
- 06 Mar 17:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger's warning for benchwarmers Mertesacker, Szczesny and Welbeck
- 06 Mar 16:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti about Danilo: "This is not the moment"
- 06 Mar 16:47 FIFA Interview, Del Piero: "I admitted flirting with the idea of becoming a coach"
- 06 Mar 16:38 MLS/ OLANDO CITY, Signed Former Leicester defender
- 06 Mar 16:27 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Agreement for Mbemba
- 06 Mar 16:16 USA/ SPORTING KANSAS CITY, Heineman: "We want Van der Vaart"
- 06 Mar 15:59 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Eye on Piroe
- 06 Mar 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Eye on Konaté
- 06 Mar 15:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Paulista out 3 weeks
- 06 Mar 15:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Porto for Danilo
- 06 Mar 15:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Keen on Maxi Pereira
- 06 Mar 14:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: incredible groundbreaking offer for Morata ready
- 06 Mar 14:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Attempt for Gignac ready
- 06 Mar 14:15 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Survey on Samba
- 06 Mar 14:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Pjanic more and more inclined to leave: PL and European giants ready
- 06 Mar 13:45 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Almer might get back to Austria Wien
- 06 Mar 13:30 AC MILAN & INTER, Eyes on Cataldi
- 06 Mar 13:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Perotti willing to stay despite suitors
- 06 Mar 13:00 FRANCE/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Psg-Pastore: last news about the renewal
- 06 Mar 12:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Flamini less and less likely to stay
- 06 Mar 12:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Reina: "I feel good here"
- 06 Mar 12:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Survey on Henderson
- 06 Mar 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Majestic renewal offer submitted to Matic
- 06 Mar 11:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal wants Icardi
- 06 Mar 11:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Southampton ready to break the bank to stop Schneiderlin
- 06 Mar 11:15 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose might leave despite renewal
- 06 Mar 11:00 AC MILAN, 6 names for Inzaghi's succession
- 06 Mar 10:53 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE , Cissé set to serve seven match ban
- 06 Mar 10:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gonzalo Rodriguez might renew
- 06 Mar 10:30 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Back for Ljajic
- 06 Mar 10:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata might be the key for signing Vidal
- 06 Mar 10:00 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Orlando City sign St Ledger
- 06 Mar 09:37 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Xavi meets New York City FC executives
- 06 Mar 09:17 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for Perin ready: willing to blaze out AC Milan, Arsenal and Liverpool
- 06 Mar 08:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bocchetti's agent: "He'd like to stay, he's happy here"
- 06 Mar 08:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Palermo, meeting for Sorrentino's renewal scheduled
- 06 Mar 08:20 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Musonda about to extend
- 06 Mar 08:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Agreement for Neto
- 06 Mar 07:40 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Martinez's future uncertain
- 06 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez injured
- 06 Mar 06:57 OL, Lacazette: "My future? There are indispensable opportunities"
- 06 Mar 06:39 SCHALKE, Heldt: "Boateng won't leave earlier than expected"
The likes of Per Mertesacker, Wojciech Szczesny and Danny Welbeck have all been dropped by the Gunners boss in recent weeks.
But Wenger insists competition for a starting berth is important in helping the club achieve its targets.
The Frenchman said: “People always ra
Simone Padoin says Juventus are aiming to channel their disappointment at last night’s Coppa Italia reverse against Fiorentina into a positive r
Kroos has revealed that the presence of Carlo Ancelotti was one of the main reasons behind his decision to leave Bayern Munich for Real Madrid ahead o
Gilberto Silva says Alexis is "a nightmare" for defenders and a huge asset to Arsenal.
The Gunners bought the Chile forward from Barcelon
OL forward Alexandre Lacazette has declared: "Last year, when they talked about a transfer, I got annoyed. I want to do my best in this season. P
Schalke 04 Director of Football Horst Heldt has declared about 27-year-old midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng: "He has one more year on his contract