INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 09.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 25 Jun 22:22 UDINESE - One more suitor for WIDMER
- 24 Jun 18:04 NAPOLI - A Turkish suitor for PAVOLETTI
- 24 Jun 16:28 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio back for KASAMI
- 23 Jun 22:45 OFFICIAL - Cagliari sign CAPUANO on new deal
- 23 Jun 20:28 TORINO submit Napoli first cash bid for Duván ZAPATA
- 23 Jun 11:55 BOLOGNA dreaming of Wesley SNEIJDER
- 22 Jun 20:26 GENOA set exit fee on SIMEONE. 4 clubs willing to sign him
- 22 Jun 19:45 OFFICIAL - Sassuolo sign 4 veterans on a new contract
- 22 Jun 15:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - JUVENTUS, 2 Serie A greenhorns keen on MATTIELLO
- 22 Jun 09:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio, 2 new suitors for DJORDJEVIC
- 21 Jun 21:34 SAMPDORIA about to close in on ILICIC
- 21 Jun 11:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AC Milan meeting LAPADULA's agent: suitors await
- 21 Jun 10:22 OFFICIAL - Bologna sign DE MAIO
- 20 Jun 21:51 FIORENTINA - Eyes on young all-rounder DEPAOLI
- 20 Jun 13:54 AS ROMA - Deal with KARSDORP. Talks with Feyenoord open
- 20 Jun 08:37 SAMPDORIA, Skriniar: "Joining Inter Milan? I don't know if I'm ready for it"
- 19 Jun 23:22 AS ROMA - Done for SERI from OGC Nice
- 19 Jun 13:07 AC MILAN - Bertolacci might be heading back to Genoa
- 19 Jun 11:01 UDINESE about to announce having signed Albano BIZZARRI
- 18 Jun 21:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - A new Serie A suitor for MEMUSHAJ
- 17 Jun 13:37 TORINO - Eyes on Jan GREGUS
- 16 Jun 12:44 NAPOLI - Eyes on DI FRANCESCO
- 16 Jun 10:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan, PUSCAS to be loaned to Benevento again
- 15 Jun 22:52 NAPOLI, Allan's agent: "The club told me he's a key asset. Watford keen on him"
- 15 Jun 14:34 LAZIO submit Atalanta bid for Papu GOMEZ
- 14 Jun 23:20 SASSUOLO - Suggestion for AC Milan defender PALETTA
- 14 Jun 10:31 CHIEVO VERONA about to sign PALOSCHI back from Atalanta
- 13 Jun 20:25 OFFICIAL - Eusebio Di Francesco is the new AS ROMA boss
- 13 Jun 15:26 OFFICIAL - AS Roma sign Héctor MORENO from PSV
- 13 Jun 11:43 TORINO - Overall agreement with SIRIGU
- 12 Jun 19:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli, 2 Serie A suitors for goalie SEPE
- 11 Jun 09:10 GENOA closing in on bringing CRISCITO back
- 09 Jun 21:49 SASSUOLO - Eyes on CAPRARI
- 09 Jun 12:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina, BADELJ's agent: "There are very few chances he'll stay put"
- 09 Jun 11:04 NAPOLI set cash request on PAVOLETTI. 5 Serie A suitors on him
- 08 Jun 19:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo, Premier League and Bundesliga clubs on DEFREL
- 08 Jun 16:44 LAZIO - Eyes on Leverkusen star CALHANOGLU
- 08 Jun 11:09 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan, 3 suitors for loanee goalie BARDI
- 07 Jun 20:58 AS ROMA - 3 Mexican suitors for ITURBE
- 07 Jun 14:29 LAZIO turn down two Premier League bids for KEITA
- 07 Jun 09:18 BOLOGNA - 2 Serie A top clubs keen on MIRANTE
- 06 Jun 15:41 ATALANTA - A new suitor for PALOSCHI
- 06 Jun 13:09 SAMPDORIA - 2 Serie A suitors for CIGARINI
- 06 Jun 10:20 ATALANTA schedule new meeting with POLITANO's entourage
- 05 Jun 18:11 HELLAS VERONA more and more likely to sign former international CASSANO
- 05 Jun 16:45 OFFICIAL - Fiorentina sign Vitor HUGO
- 02 Jun 15:43 OFFICIAL - Udinese sign Malle and extend deal with PERICA
- 01 Jun 23:11 SAMPDORIA - Duel to Torino and UK suitors on FALCINELLI
- 01 Jun 18:19 ATALANTA keen on Bologna loanee CRISETIG
- 01 Jun 15:32 SASSUOLO turn down Schalke bid for ACERBI
- 01 Jun 09:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli in talks with Gent on FOKET
- 31 May 23:18 FIORENTINA planning an attempt for BENASSI
- 31 May 20:12 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan, two suitors for ANDREOLLI
- 31 May 15:08 ATALANTA willing to sign POLITANO from Sassuolo
- 31 May 13:07 SAMPDORIA - 2 Russian suitors for Vasco REGINI
- 31 May 11:27 INTER MILAN - 5 suitors for RANOCCHIA
- 31 May 08:54 FIORENTINA - An old new suitor for ILICIC
- 30 May 22:04 GENOA - Nicolás BURDISSO says farewell
- 30 May 12:52 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atalanta, PALOSCHI might be the key for getting Ilicic from Fiorentina
- 29 May 22:31 TORINO, Hart says goodbye: "It's been a good run, but I won't be back here"
- 29 May 20:05 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Lazio, 2 Serie A greenhorns keen on CRECCO
- 29 May 10:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo about to buy RICCI back from AS Roma
- 27 May 18:41 LAZIO - Duel to Everton on Boro departee DE ROON
- 26 May 19:48 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Serie loan suitors for young goalie RADU
- 26 May 16:53 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AC Milan might loan BERTOLACCI to Bologna
- 26 May 14:44 GENOA & LAZIO in talks on a Cataldi-Lazovic swap
- 25 May 23:19 FIORENTINA - Eyes on TAIDER
- 25 May 20:47 BOLOGNA - A suitor for OIKONOMOU
- 25 May 17:11 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino, this time PARIGINI might stay put. 3 Serie A clubs on him
- 24 May 23:33 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Serie A suitors for Croatian international BRADARIC
- 24 May 15:03 FIORENTINA planning to buy TELLO back from Barça
- 24 May 13:01 GENOA, Simeone: "I want to stay put and being this club's Pipita"
- 23 May 22:06 BOLOGNA trying to hijack Gonzalo RODRIGUEZ from Lazio
- 23 May 20:35 EXCLUSIVE TMW Radio - Sassuolo, DEFREL's agent: "AS Roma like him, as many other clubs"
- 23 May 17:02 TORINO keener and keener on INGLESE
- 23 May 12:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Palermo, in talks with Sparta Prague on signing NESTOROVSKI over
- 22 May 12:01 CAGLIARI - 4 clubs scouting attacking playmaker JOAO PEDRO
- 22 May 09:13 TORINO - Suggestion for Diego PEROTTI
- 21 May 18:44 AC MILAN - Veteran goalie STORARI to be signed on a new contract
- 19 May 21:04 OFFICIAL - Sensational U-21 goalie SCUFFET signed on a new deal by Udinese
- 19 May 13:34 LAZIO - Done for Fiorentina icon Gonzalo RODRIGUEZ
- 19 May 10:28 JUVENTUS - Moise KEAN to renew and be loaned out
- 18 May 17:12 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan eyeing Atalanta defender TOLOI
- 16 May 22:44 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo tracking Kevin RAMIREZ: possible duel to Udinese
- 16 May 22:01 OFFICIAL - Seko FOFANA extends deal with Udinese
- 16 May 21:22 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bologna eye Spanish midfielder Raúl Baena
- 16 May 15:47 GENOA, Laxalt's agent: "No calls from Napoli. But he's ready for a top club"
- 16 May 12:58 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atalanta eyeing another Eredivisie talent
- 16 May 10:20 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sampdoria open MURIEL talks only for non-Italian clubs. Two main suitors
- 15 May 14:36 FIORENTINA - Eyes on Torino playmaker VALDIFIORI
- 15 May 11:01 GENOA - Two Liga clubs keen on Giovanni SIMEONE
- 12 May 18:09 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Swedish midfielder Rohdén
- 12 May 12:29 TORINO - Suggestion for AC Milan loanee goalie GABRIEL
- 12 May 09:38 AC MILAN - Watford won't buy NIANG back. 4 clubs fancying him
- 11 May 23:25 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina, done per Vitor HUGO from Palmeiras
- 11 May 21:21 OFFICIAL - Atalanta sign manager Gasperini on new deal
- 11 May 09:32 AC MILAN - A Spanish suitor for Keisuke HONDA
- 09 May 16:40 TORINO in deal extension talks with ZAPPACOSTA. Suitors on alert
- 09 May 12:20 LAZIO - Eyes on City loanee NTCHAM
- 09 May 09:10 AS ROMA loanee ITURBE wooed for a comeback by Hellas Verona
Recently inquired about by Anderlecht, Atalanta, and Lazio, Swiss international right-back Silvan Widmer (24), according to latest Italian news, has been targeted by Sampdoria as well. Currently on a deal with Udinese until June 2020, former Aarau player, previously linked to suc
Recently inquired about by Anderlecht, Atalanta, and Lazio, Swiss international right-back Silvan Widmer (24), according to latest Italian news, has b
According to Italian news, AS Roma management have targeted Uruguayan Under-23 international centre-back Mauricio Lemos (21, in the pic on t
Coming from last two seasons' loan experiences at Wigan Athletic and Wolverhampton, English Under-20 international winger Sheyi Ojo (20)
Guingamp announced having extended their deal with French midfielder Christophe Kerbrat (30), playing for them since 2011/12, until June 2020. Pl
More and more likely to leave Genoa after two seasons and a half, Uruguayan international midfielder/winger Diego Laxalt (24), according to