INTER, Moratti: "It's hard to believe in what you don't have"
28.09.2012 08.18 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
President Massimo Moratti answered questions from the waiting journalists after this evening's board meeting.
President, did you discuss the books?
"Yes, all rather boring stuff really as far as you press are concerned."
Are the Chinese partners now officially on board?
"There was nothing to officialise, there are just a few things to formalise, so it wasn't an important topic today."
Nothing about the stadium either?
"We talked about that, about how things stand at the moment, about yesterday's game, future plans, the youth academy - all in an informal manner because we have a board whose members have been a part of Inter for a long time, so naturally those are the topics."
Yes, we saw plenty of relaxed faces... so there's enthusiasm?
"Definitely. But it's more important that you have enthusiasm within the team. We're just here to help them."
Speaking of numbers, can we say that three is the perfect number in defence?
"Any number is good if the system works. The main thing is that it suits the players and the coach, that they inspire confidence in each other and, most importantly, that it's then carried out to good effect on the pitch. There isn't just one tactic and all the rest are worthless: it depends on the players you have and also the moment. Right now it's a good way of doing things."
Who is winning in the 'transfer-market derby' between Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini at the moment?
"Well they've got three goals each so far so things are fine as they are. Cassano is giving us a lot, not only in football terms but also his relationship with the coach and the rest of the team – not that it should surprise anyone. If I say he's smart it's because quite honestly he's showing that he is. We're delighted. More than just as a player, as an individual he's very useful to us at the moment."
On the subject of €20 million players, which you can't buy at the moment, with these new backers joining the club might we see a return to a situation where things are perhaps not quite like the times of Vieri but a bit less difficult at least?
"I hope we don't go back to those times when we bought Vieri because everything we did back then was wrong, but yes there may be some improvement in that sense in the course of time. However, one thing is the financial aspect – being able to operate on the transfer market more easily – another is running the club efficiently. You can't have a club that doesn't care about the balance sheets just because it has financial clout. You can't do that so you have to be very careful at all times, making sure that you stick to UEFA's rules but also those for a well-run club."
Are you thinking of adding a reinforcement or two in January?
"Wasn't I saying the opposite [smiling]? Regardless of the means you have at your disposal, if you don't believe in what you have, it's hard to believe in what you don't have. I think what we have here is already worth a lot, but we have to keep increasing its value. Then we have a youth academy that has provided us and continues to provide us with quality players, so that's how we're working. That's how they build great teams in other countries, so I think we need to fall into line with that."
Which foreign club might you look to as an example?
"Every club has its own model. We believe what we have done with our academy is something that other clubs might look to as an example, because we've developed our academy to a point where it has given us success in terms of results but also, and more importantly, in terms of the quality players of all ages that we're bringing through. That's not something we want to imitate, because we're already doing it well. But it's important to make the most of these players with the first team and help everyone connected with the club to understand that they deserve a chance. There's not only one club that works that way - it's standard practice for English clubs. We're in a different setting here, what's gone on in the past means we have to do things more slowly. I understand all that. But that's the direction we need to be heading in. We're lucky in that we have a coach who is young himself and he knows about these things, he understands them, but you need the right opportunity and to be able to do it little by little."
Speaking of youngsters, does this head-to-head between Montella and Stramaccioni excite you?
"They are friends. Montella has more experience of course, because he's had two more years. I consider our coach to be a very intelligent man so I think he'll be able to make up for [that difference] with his intelligence. We'll see how it goes."
What about the debate between Marchionne and Della Valle, Juventus and Fiorentina?
"They've already played that game and they drew so..."
Are Fiorentina perhaps the worst team to play at the moment?
"I think they're the best team I've watched. They played a great match against Juve so there's no doubt that it's going to be a tough challenge for us, but you can't put off things like this until you're ready for them. If the match is now, we have to get on with it and do well. We're hardly nobodies ourselves."
Is it a good thing that you're playing the derby away from home?
"Because Milan are playing at home, you mean? Let's hope it brings the luck you're talking about."
Have you started preparing for the smoking ban that's going to be introduced at stadiums next year?
"When I go abroad they already have a ban and I don't even think about smoking at the stadium. If I'm not allowed to, I won't [smiling]."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 00:00 INTER, Moratti: "Nobody knows what I have in mind"
- 20 May 16:00 TMW - GENOA, Preziosi: "Cassano joining us? No way, it's fantasy football"
- 20 May 09:01 INTER, Nagatomo: "My knee? I chose not to have an operation because..."
- 20 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Abbiati: "I have extended my contract"
- 19 May 06:00 JUVENTUS, Conte: "The transfer market? The club will make its evaluations"
- 18 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He won't leave"
- 17 May 20:20 INTER, Successful surgery for Cassano
- 17 May 17:31 AC MILAN, Tassotti: "Montolivo was back training today and we hope heíll be okay for tomorrow"
- 17 May 00:00 INTER, Stramaccioni: "Moratti has been clear about my future"
- 16 May 16:30 JUVENTUS, Bonucci predicts bright future
- 16 May 10:14 ITALY/ INTER, Chivu: "I never considered a lawsuit againt the medical staff"
- 16 May 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Mazzarri must make a decision"
- 15 May 00:00 INTER, Moratti: "Handanovic and Guarin will stay. Stramaccioni? We'll see.."
- 14 May 19:20 CATANIA, Bonanno: "AC Milan made an offer for Lodi"
- 14 May 17:10 PALERMO, Miccichť: "Ilicic won't follow us to Serie B"
- 14 May 11:00 JUVENTUS,Chiellini targets further improvement
- 14 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Cerci? He could be useful to us"
- 13 May 16:10 INTER, Branca: "Negredo is a great player"
- 13 May 15:00 AC MILAN, Abate: "Galliani announced Zenit offer and asked me to stay"
- 13 May 14:49 AC MILAN, Gallini: "Enough of these racist chants"
- 13 May 00:00 INTER, Stramaccioni: "Many suitors for Guarin, but we want to keep him"
- 12 May 06:00 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "No contacts with City"
- 11 May 00:00 PALERMO, Ilicic's agent: "Milan interested? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 10 May 16:15 AC MILAN, Abate: "We needed some time after so many changes to the squad"
- 10 May 15:44 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "My friendship with Balotelli? It happened immediately"
- 10 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Muntari: "I hope that Allegri will stay"
- 09 May 10:20 INTER, Moratti: "Careful balance needed for the future"
- 09 May 10:00 INTER, Juan Jesus: "We tried everything"
- 09 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Mazzarri: "My future? I have to evaluate many things"
- 08 May 00:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "Jovetic? We will talk in ten days"
- 07 May 13:43 INTER, Stramaccioni: "If someone wasn't motivated enough, he'd sit out"
- 07 May 11:22 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Eyes on Wanyama
- 07 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Abbiati is about to extend"
- 06 May 18:50 UDINESE, Pozzo: "No negotiations for Benatia"
- 06 May 17:20 UDINESE, Pozzo: "20 million euros won't be enough for Muriel"
- 06 May 10:10 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Iíve really enjoyed this particular Scudetto triumph"
- 06 May 09:46 INTER, Guarin: "We all need to give a bit more at the moment"
- 06 May 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We have been winning right from the start"
- 06 May 07:49 INTER, Ranocchia: " I wanted to be out there to help the team"
- 06 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "No contacts for Ibrahimovic"
- 05 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marchisio: "I want to end my career here"
- 04 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Dzemaili turns out transfer rumours
- 03 May 14:51 AS ROMA, Andreazzoli: "I know Fiorentinaís quality and I really like them as a team
- 03 May 09:45 JUVENTUS, Pirlo: "In 2014 I'll stop with the national team"
- 03 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Nocerino's agent turns out transfer rumours
- 02 May 17:00 INTER, Stramaccioni about Zanetti: "Now Iím the one waiting on him"
- 02 May 10:02 INTER, Zanetti: "Iím fine. The operation has been completed"
- 02 May 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev: "I hope that Mazzarri and Cavani will stay"
- 22 May 06:30 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We are interested in Santana, but we must wait"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three-year deal for Seedorf ready
- 21 May 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pulis quits Stoke City
- 21 May 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Hatemaj
- 21 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sprint for Isco and Lewandowski
- 21 May 22:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Ventura should remain
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Idea Luis Enrique
- 21 May 21:37 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Armand
- 21 May 21:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera could stay
- 21 May 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also PSG after Diego Alves
- 21 May 20:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Feghouli
- 21 May 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bouazza quits Racing
- 21 May 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Consigli
- 21 May 19:42 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Boer extends with Ajax
- 21 May 19:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Back for Iborra
- 21 May 19:16 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Mavuba
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is £20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
- 21 May 12:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Here why I'm in London. I'm talking with City"
- 21 May 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva's agent: "No chance I'll leave"
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I will remain, my agent is taking care of it. I can say that I have received some offers from both Italy and Spain, but the final...
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I...
As reported by todomercadoweb.es, Barcelona star Leonel Messi has declared about the possible arrival of Santos 21 year old striker Neymar:...
Interviewed by the London Evening Standard, Chelsea 29 year old striker Fernando Torres has declared: "The chance to work with Mourinho is...
Interviewed by Reviersport, Borussia Dortmund General Manager Horst Heldt has declared about the possibility to sign Borussia Dortmund 27 year...
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has declared: "I think that there is already a pre-agreement between Ancelotti and Real Madri, but I...