LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 15.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 30 Nov 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Delph could leave"
- 29 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, Man of the match Cazorla on victory over WBA: "Important result, now we need to play the same way"
- 29 Nov 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "A few months ago I was the manager of the year..."
- 28 Nov 20:37 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger: "We need balance between attacking and defending. WBA's technical level is really good"
- 28 Nov 15:00 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger on team news: "Szczesny out, Koscielny might start"
- 28 Nov 06:29 STOKE, Bojan: "Back to Barça? I can't close any door"
- 27 Nov 18:28 ARSENAL, Medical report on Wilshere: surgery done
- 26 Nov 18:02 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Chambers: "We'll heed Dortmund warning"
- 26 Nov 17:18 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "We know how it works with criticisms. I strongly believe in my players"
- 26 Nov 13:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "Koscielny is back. I don't know if Welbeck starts"
- 26 Nov 11:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Ramsey: "Now I feel sharp again. Goals will come"
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 24 Nov 14:15 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We can defeat Dortmund at Emirates and qualify for CL final 16"
- 24 Nov 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "No offers for Cech"
- 23 Nov 06:59 SOTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin's future? We'll see,,"
- 23 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after United failure: "We dominated for most of the game"
- 22 Nov 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "We are seeking a forward"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 19 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Sometimes I get nervous watching my teammates' games"
- 19 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "Games against United and Dortmund might get us on top"
- 19 Nov 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "Arnautović will stay"
- 18 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Nov 19:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Now we must be all ready to fight. This season has been a rollercoaster up to now"
- 17 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I want to be back in December. I'm improving a lot here, quality-wise"
- 17 Nov 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "PSG was an option, but.."
- 16 Nov 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Pochettino is not to blame"
- 16 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on NT specificities: "Poland have very good goalies, Italians defend better. Spanish ones are the most technical, English go on fighting spirit, German are balanced"
- 15 Nov 06:29 WEST HAM, Gold: "Zarate doesn't want to leave"
- 14 Nov 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 13 Nov 06:15 Southampton, Schneiderlin: "I want to play for a big club"
- 12 Nov 19:29 ARSENAL, Ospina: "I started as a striker. I'm doing my best in one of the best clubs worldwide"
- 12 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, Anderson: "I could move back to Grèmio"
- 11 Nov 19:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Valdes is training with reserve squad, hope we'll know more about him soon"
- 10 Nov 17:23 ARSENAL, Olsson: "The most important thing is that I get to play on as high level "
- 10 Nov 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I could have moved back to Italy"
- 09 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I didn't want Fabianski to leave. Swansea are a tough opponent"
- 08 Nov 13:00 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott needs some time"
- 08 Nov 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We don't want to sell Touré"
- 07 Nov 09:17 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere's back, Arteta will be out"
- 07 Nov 06:39 STOKE, Bojan: "I am happy here"
- 06 Nov 21:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "My priority is helping defence, since we are a very offensive team"
- 06 Nov 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Lucas: "Napoli were after me"
- 05 Nov 06:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on 3-3 against Anderlecht: "We got punished. Losing Arteta was fatal"
- 04 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL, Arteta on Chambers: "I'm pleased by his bravery, he's so confident"
- 04 Nov 17:15 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "He hasn't got to be obsessed with scoring goals"
- 03 Nov 15:14 ARSENAL, Wenger: "England must be cautious with Walcott"
- 03 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Chambers: "Scoring has been a dream for me"
- 03 Nov 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez is one of those players who can make the difference"
- 02 Nov 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "We were after Ulloa"
- 31 Oct 16:30 ARSENAL v BURNLEY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere won't probably be available"
- 31 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I feel confident here. Champions League debut gave me goosebumps"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 19 Dec 13:43 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, £52M Eden Project
- 19 Dec 13:30 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Mabil will be tested in January
- 19 Dec 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "That's how I signed Alexis Sanchez"
- 19 Dec 13:00 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Veteran goalie Oswaldo Sanchez quits pro football
- 19 Dec 12:44 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, The alternative to Hummels is Otamendi
- 19 Dec 12:30 ITALY/ INTER, Leading the race to Nastasic
- 19 Dec 12:15 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Bruce: "Ben Arfa is likely to leave"
- 19 Dec 12:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Ichazo
- 19 Dec 11:45 FRANCE/ PSG, Back for Pogba
- 19 Dec 11:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Rami
- 19 Dec 11:15 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Keen on Telles
- 19 Dec 11:00 ITALY/ CESENA, Eyes on Grimi
- 19 Dec 10:40 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Scholz to replace Shar
- 19 Dec 10:17 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Interest for Grimi
- 19 Dec 09:57 GERMANY/ HERTHA, Eyes on Vejinović
- 19 Dec 09:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Cassano
- 19 Dec 09:19 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Berdyev is Rostov new coach
- 19 Dec 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Kramaric farther
- 19 Dec 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Interest for Reus confirmed
- 19 Dec 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is no longer the NT coach
- 19 Dec 07:27 OM, Doria's agent: "He could leave"
- 19 Dec 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I think that Shaqiri and Højbjerg will stay"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 19 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez's agent: "In January he won't move"
- 19 Dec 00:00 FIORENTINA, Rodriguez: "I would like to end my career at San Lorenzo"
- 18 Dec 23:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Heitinga could leave
- 18 Dec 22:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Offer for Conte ready
- 18 Dec 22:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Bellerín from Bayer Leverkusen
- 18 Dec 21:59 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Hany Mukhtar
- 18 Dec 21:30 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Duel to QPR on bringing Defoe back to Premier League
- 18 Dec 21:00 RUSSIA/ CSKA MOSCOW, Babaev: "Doumbia is worth 25 million euros. Tottenham? Nothing mroe than what you read in the papers"
- 18 Dec 20:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, From UK: Majestic offer for Barça's Pedro ready
- 18 Dec 19:57 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Alejandro Rodriguez
- 18 Dec 19:35 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, One more suitor for Dembelé
- 18 Dec 19:02 ITALY/ TORINO, Willing to sign Kurtic back
- 18 Dec 18:31 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Assault on De Jong ready
- 18 Dec 18:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Winter attempt for Ledesma ready
- 18 Dec 17:29 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Süleyman Koc
- 18 Dec 16:59 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Musona joins KV Oostende
- 18 Dec 16:30 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Los Angeles Galaxy sign Ariel Lassiter
- 18 Dec 16:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Suggestion for Pavoletti
- 18 Dec 15:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bordeaux renew Thomas Touré's contract long-term
- 18 Dec 14:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Paulo Oliveira
- 18 Dec 14:29 USA/ OFFICIAL, Fort Lauderdale sign James Marcelin
- 18 Dec 13:59 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Opening on Alex Teixeira
- 18 Dec 13:30 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 18 Dec 13:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Uche extends for Villarreal
- 18 Dec 12:27 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Vieirinha about to renew
- 18 Dec 11:57 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Grahl on target
- 18 Dec 11:29 ENGLAND/ QPR, Negotiating with Colchoneros on Cristian Rodriguez's loan
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Gunners manager Arséne Wenger explained how he succeeded in signing Chilean offensive star Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona FC last summer: “I met his agent in Brazil a few times. We could talk about the transfer and in Europe we talk
Interviewed by Radio Blu, Fiorentina defender Gonzalo Rodriguez has declared: "I have three more years on my contract. I have renewed because the
Eduardo Hernandez, agent of Real Madrid forward Javier Hernandez, has declared: "Sometimes the paper speculate on certain things, and considered
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has declared about the possibility to extend his contract: "It’s the same as it’s been all season. We&
One of the main players in Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 victory over Ajaccio in Coupe de la Ligue latest match, French forward Jean-Christophe Bahebeck sta
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 23-year-old winger Xherdan Shaqiri and 19-year-old midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg: "