LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 15.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 02 Jul 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Letting Cech leave was the right decision"
- 01 Jul 20:15 ARSENAL, Cech: "I’m sure I’ll settle quickly"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 30 Apr 06:39 CHELSEA, Obi Mikel's agent: "Real Madrid? No comment"
- 29 Apr 12:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Tourè out two weeks
- 29 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We won't sell out best players"
- 28 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Depay? We'll see"
- 27 Apr 17:24 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I'll always be grateful to Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 04 Jul 17:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ousseynou Cissé joins Rayo Vallecano
- 04 Jul 16:27 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Podolski from Arsenal
- 04 Jul 15:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Veteran Pellissier renews long-term for Chievo Verona
- 04 Jul 15:29 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Thelander joins Panathinaikos
- 04 Jul 14:59 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Ogbonna about to join from Juventus
- 04 Jul 14:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Espanyol sign Burgui
- 04 Jul 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Watford sign Deeeny on a new long-term deal
- 04 Jul 13:27 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Krylia Sovetov hire Pomerko back from Kuban Krasnodar
- 04 Jul 12:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Wallace from Braga again on loan
- 04 Jul 12:29 ITALY/ AC MILAN, José Mauri about to attend medical checks
- 04 Jul 11:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Benassi's agent: "Southampton keen on him, but no offers at the time"
- 04 Jul 11:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan sign Max Power
- 04 Jul 11:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace loan Hunt to Sheffield Wednesday
- 04 Jul 10:27 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Juventus loan Mattiello to Chievo again
- 04 Jul 09:57 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Attempt to hijack Arda Turan from Chelsea: Santi Cazorla offered to Colchoneros
- 04 Jul 09:29 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Almost done for Defrel: announcement could be made soon
- 04 Jul 08:59 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Rubin Kazan sign Lemos and Sharipov
- 04 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign Montoya from Barça: the details
- 04 Jul 08:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Pasalic on loan from Chelsea
- 04 Jul 00:00 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Monterrey sign Gargano
- 03 Jul 23:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Carrillo signs for Monaco
- 03 Jul 22:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Maio renews with Genoa
- 03 Jul 22:29 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiacos sign Pulido
- 03 Jul 21:59 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Pereira
- 03 Jul 21:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Parejo renews with Valencia
- 03 Jul 21:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Angers sign Saiss
- 03 Jul 20:37 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Also Valencia after Cuadrado
- 03 Jul 20:17 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Berisha joins Cambuur
- 03 Jul 19:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Sprint for Mbemba
- 03 Jul 19:39 ITALY/ INTER, Plan for Perisic
- 03 Jul 19:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ze Castro renews with Rayo
- 03 Jul 19:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Guingamp sign Benezet
- 03 Jul 18:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign young Adekanye from Barcelona FC
- 03 Jul 18:17 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Lecha sign Maloca
- 03 Jul 17:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tom Ince joins Derby County on a full basis
- 03 Jul 17:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Caen sign Delaplace
- 03 Jul 17:20 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Nagatomo doesn't want to join
- 03 Jul 17:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Nantes sign Sightorsson
- 03 Jul 16:37 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Idea Aquilani
- 03 Jul 16:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Falcao joins Chelsea
- 03 Jul 15:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Valencic
- 03 Jul 15:39 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Rodrigo Pinho
- 03 Jul 15:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sala renews with Verona
- 03 Jul 15:00 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Fenerbahce sign 2 players on loan from Porto
- 03 Jul 14:37 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Approaching Ben Yedder
- 03 Jul 14:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Medran and Velazquez from Madrid star sides
- 03 Jul 13:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Charlton sign Makienok on loan from Palermo
- 03 Jul 13:39 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertens on target: possible duel to Inter
- 03 Jul 13:20 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Done for Lawal
- 03 Jul 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace renew deals with 2 players
What had been almost sure for a while is now official. German international forward Lukas Podolski (30), left Arsenal on a full basis after 2 seasons and a half and a brief loan experience at Inter, has been officially signed by Galatasaray. Former FC Koln and Bayern Munich playe
Interviewed by TuttoNapoli, Pablo Baselli, agent of Napoli midfielder Walter Gargano, has declared: "At the moment Walter is still a Napoli playe
Sevilla FC defender Grzegorz Krychowiak has told Diario de Sevilla: "I have received no offer and I am totally focused on Seville. It has been a
Petr Cech believes having a full pre-season at Arsenal will help him to settle quickly at the club.
The goalkeeper became Arsène Wenger&rsqu
Interviewed by FcInterNews.it, Alessandro Canovi, agent of PSG midfielder Thiago Motta, has declared: "We have decided to stop the negotiations f
As reported by Kicker, Werder Bremen 26-year-old forward Franco Di Santo has declared: "Many clubs want me".