LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 15.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 30 Apr 06:39 CHELSEA, Obi Mikel's agent: "Real Madrid? No comment"
- 29 Apr 12:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Tourè out two weeks
- 29 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We won't sell out best players"
- 28 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Depay? We'll see"
- 27 Apr 17:24 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I'll always be grateful to Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 06 Apr 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "He will join a top club"
- 05 Apr 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cech deserves a new prospective"
- 04 Apr 06:29 LEICESTER, Cambiasso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 02 Apr 12:30 ARSENAL, Debuchy returns to training
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 28 May 19:57 ITALY/ INTER, Duda about to join
- 28 May 19:27 FIFA, Platini:" I asked Blatter to stand down as Fifa president"
- 28 May 18:59 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Bacuna: "I'm trying to persuade Benteke to stay"
- 28 May 18:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Olympiakos back on De Maio
- 28 May 18:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR: Hoops seal Gladwin's deal
- 28 May 18:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Carlton Cole quits the club
- 28 May 17:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL: Tate, Tremmel, Cornell and 9 youngster leave Swansea City
- 28 May 17:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eye on Ginter
- 28 May 17:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Asking Mandzukic's loan to Atletico Madrid
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 16:42 ENGLAND/ QPR: Duel to Villa, Bournemouth and Palace on Lambert
- 28 May 16:33 ITALY/ INTER, Eye on Unai Emery
- 28 May 16:24 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Machado back as Gremio manager
- 28 May 16:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Move for Dzeko ready
- 28 May 16:10 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ancelotti will decide on Wednesday"
- 28 May 16:03 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis about Bigon: "Changing after 6 years is normal"
- 28 May 15:52 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Merengues deny Pogba bid
- 28 May 15:50 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez confirms he will leave this summer
- 28 May 15:48 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Approaching Ki Sung-Yeung
- 28 May 15:24 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "I'll get Benitez a good contract for Real Madrid!"
- 28 May 15:00 FRANCE/ METZ, 2 Ligue 1 and one Bundesliga pursuers for N'Gbakoto
- 28 May 14:27 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Suggestion for Marchionni
- 28 May 13:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, The new Schweinsteiger Weigl about to join
- 28 May 13:29 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Riascos joins Vasco da Gama on loan
- 28 May 12:59 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Duel to Torino on Cassani
- 28 May 12:30 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Eyes on Kumbela
- 28 May 12:00 ITALY/ EMPOLI, One step closer to Galano
- 28 May 11:27 POLAND/ POGON STETTIN, 2 German and 1 Dutch surveys for Wojtkowski
- 28 May 10:57 ENGLAND/ QPR, Approaching Emmanuel-Thomas
- 28 May 10:29 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Junior Moraes
- 28 May 09:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Maxi Lopez's renewal is near
- 28 May 09:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Survey on Casilla
- 28 May 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mihajlovic the alternative to Ancelotti
- 28 May 08:45 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Offer for Boateng
- 28 May 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Keen on Diego Lopez
- 28 May 08:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Felipe
- 28 May 08:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eyes on Christensen
- 28 May 07:40 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Clasie
- 28 May 07:17 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Matheus injured
- 28 May 06:57 NICE, Rivère: "Puel will stay"
- 28 May 06:39 WOLFSBURG, De Bruyne: "Never to Chelsea as long as Mourinho is in charge"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 28 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "My future? I am learning English"
- 28 May 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "I don't think Mandzukic will join us"
- 27 May 23:45 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Offer for Monreal ready
- 27 May 23:30 FRANCE/ NANTES, Idea Thomsen
- 27 May 23:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Vangioni on the wishlist
- 27 May 23:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Nice sign Seri
- 27 May 22:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat quits Sunderland
Michel Platini has revealed that he begged Sepp Blatter to stand down as Fifa president.
The game's governing body is reeling after the arrest of several officials on Wednesday as part of an FBI-led investigation into corruption and money-laundering dating back to 1991.
Carlo Ancelotti has left open the possibility of taking over at AC Milan, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
The paper reports he had a meeting in
Sevilla sport director Monchi has spoken to As about yesterday victory and about the future of the player. "Now Champions is waiting us, we will
Mathieu Flamini says Arsenal have learnt from last season’s “nightmare” start to the FA Cup final.
The Gunners found themselves t
Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivère has declared about his team's coach Claude Puel: "I never had doubts about it, he will stay for the
Wolfsburg attacking midifelder Kevin de Bruyne has told Bild: "I think, to be honest, I would not return to Chelsea as long as Mourinho is in cha