LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 13.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 02 May 17:47 ARSENAL, Wenger: "How Santi has surprised me"
- 02 May 06:19 READING, Pogrebnyak's agent: "He wants to remain in England"
- 01 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tevez: "Back to Boca? If iy was up to me.."
- 30 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Bale: "Real Madrid? Just speculations"
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is £20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
- 21 May 12:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Here why I'm in London. I'm talking with City"
- 21 May 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva's agent: "No chance I'll leave"
- 21 May 11:45 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Observing Potuk
- 21 May 11:31 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Close to agree with Kolo Toure
- 21 May 11:15 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Eyes on the young Mello
- 21 May 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Brand new rush for Jo-Jo Jovetic
- 21 May 10:50 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, One more suitor for Leali
- 21 May 10:40 RUSSIA/ KUBAN KRASNODAR, Three Russian giants keen on Armenian star Özbiliz
- 21 May 10:30 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Turkish chance for Babel
- 21 May 10:20 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sorensen leaves Energie Cottbus
- 21 May 10:11 ITALY/ TMW, Higuain-Juve confirmed the meeting for tomorrow
- 21 May 10:10 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Gilardino set to stay
- 21 May 10:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Hummels: "No contacts with Barça or any other club"
- 21 May 09:52 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pizarro's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 21 May 09:50 ITALY/ PALERMO, Three suitors for Sorrentino
- 21 May 09:40 NORWICH & SWANSEA, Keen on Arter
- 21 May 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bonera on target
- 21 May 09:20 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Two suitors for Nené
- 21 May 09:10 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Romero in the viewfinder
- 21 May 09:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, One more rival towards Austin
- 21 May 08:55 ITALY/ ROMA, Sabatini: "On Monday we'll meet Andreazzoli, the best players stays"
According to L'Equipe, AS Roma are ready to offer 11 million euros to Udinese to obtain 25 year old defender Mehdi Benatia.
What occurred Sunday night is appalling and unacceptable. AS Roma does not want those individuals responsible as fans. The actions of this small...
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has declared: about 50 year old coach Jose Mourinho: "Nobody has fired anyone, everything has been...
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has declared: "Since January this team has shown a better level of consistency. We've shown Champions...
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund center back Mats Hummels has declared: "There have been no contacts with other clubs. I will...
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has declared: "I think that there is already a pre-agreement between Ancelotti and Real Madri, but I...