LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 15.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 07:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing that got me back is my pride"
- 28 Oct 12:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I'm comfortable with Flamini, we made Sanchez more free. Now we need to be consistent"
- 28 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Sanchez is an unbelievable player"
- 28 Oct 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Paulinho won't join Corinthians"
- 27 Oct 15:00 LIVERPOOL, Del Piero on Balotelli's failure: "He needs to put his own mind together in order to have his technique count"
- 24 Oct 20:30 SUNDERLAND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott is not ready"
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 23 Oct 15:15 ANDERLECHT, Hasi furious after Arsenal defeat: "We'd have deserved to win, referee should take full responsibility"
- 23 Oct 14:30 CHELSEA, Terry satisfied: "We are showing all our depth"
- 23 Oct 13:59 Carragher: "Balotelli will be sold before next season"
- 23 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on triumph over Anderlecht: "We won thanks not to have conceded a second goal after their 1-0"
- 23 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Vertonghen going nowhere"
- 22 Oct 14:15 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger on Martinez: "I am extremely confident in him"
- 22 Oct 13:30 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Hasi: "We'll have to stop Sanchez"
- 22 Oct 12:00 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger: "Martinez will play as a goalkeeper"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 21 Oct 15:00 ARSENAL, Monreal on Bellerin: "He's got a great career ahead of him"
- 21 Oct 12:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Full responsibility on us, but Hull's first goal was not regular"
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Soon we'll talk with Bony's agents"
- 19 Oct 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Shawcross going nowhere"
- 17 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Yedlin could join us in January"
- 16 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Veljkovic: "I am leaving on loan"
- 15 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "Replacing Wenger will be a challenge"
- 14 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Ozil turns out transfer rumors
- 13 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I don't want to leave"
- 11 Oct 06:29 SUNDERLAND. Altidore: "If I won't get to play, I will leave"
- 10 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am not happy with situation"
- 09 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am happy here"
- 09 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Pallotta: "Strootman not for sale"
- 08 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Criticism has made me stronger"
- 07 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Toure doesn't want to leave"
- 04 Oct 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Milan no longer after Taarabt"
- 01 Oct 06:19 MAN. CITY, Hart: "Italy? I am happy here"
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "One day I will return to Rosario"
- 29 Sep 06:29 CHELSEA. Hazard: "Back to France? Maybe one day, but for Lille"
- 28 Sep 06:59 CHELSEA, Rémy: "I was never joining Arsenal"
- 27 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Flamini: "When I joined Gunners first, I was told about the derby with Tottenham"
- 27 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Dier: "We'll do our best for making Spurs' fans happy"
- 27 Sep 14:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Wenger: "Important meaning and moment of the season"
- 27 Sep 13:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Arteta: "Pochettino was a father to me. Defeating Spurs is vital"
- 27 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "I have signed until January, I can't say more"
- 26 Sep 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I think Mario is potentially world class"
- 26 Sep 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez dismisses Barkley rumours
- 25 Sep 21:17 ARSENAL, Wenger: "You understand a young player's mind features when you watch him playing"
- 25 Sep 20:20 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain looking forward to London derby: "Victories over Spurs are the sweetest ones"
- 25 Sep 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Flamini might be on for the derby"
- 25 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL, Ospina on his debut: "Unfortunately we lost, but I know I played a good game"
- 24 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Lampard's future? We'll see"
- 23 Sep 14:39 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Having our fans behind makes everything easier for us. I thank all my teammates"
- 23 Sep 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Diaby: "He's a giant, mentally. I believe in him, justice should reserve him a better future"
- 23 Sep 06:20 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Arsenal didn't want me"
- 22 Sep 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He succeeded in giving a better performance also thanks to the rest of the squad"
- 22 Sep 09:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after Villa success: "We gave the response people and ourselves were all expecting"
- 22 Sep 07:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck celebrates his first goal as a Gunner: "I'm starting to know my teammates"
- 22 Sep 06:15 CHELSEA, Ramires: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 21 Sep 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael: "I want to stay forever"
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Borussia Dortmund defeated us through pace and pressure"
- 17 Sep 15:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "Debuting in Champions League has been a dream for me"
- 17 Sep 06:19 QPR, Vargas: "I want to remain in England"
- 16 Sep 16:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wilshere: "Always good games against them, fantastic even without Reus. We aim to get first in the group"
- 16 Sep 14:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "Intense game against City. Dortmund will put pressure on us"
- 16 Sep 11:17 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Signing Fabregas has been easy"
- 16 Sep 10:39 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Sad for Debuchy's injury. We could have won against City"
- 16 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Demichelis: "I would like to renew"
- 15 Sep 11:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "With a talent like his, he just needs to show how good he is"
- 15 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on 4-0 over QPR: "Great impact of all the new players, not only Di Maria"
- 15 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We are obviously disappointed for the draw against City"
- 14 Sep 21:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I am getting fitter and fitter, my goal was a tight angle. Fantastic debut from Welbeck"
- 14 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Welbeck's debut: "He needs to fully integrate, but I'm satisfied"
- 14 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Sanchez is working hard, and he's already important for us"
- 14 Sep 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments 2-2 against City: "Not an easy game to referee. Wilshere is getting to top back"
- 14 Sep 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger faces the umpteenth injury: "Debuchy's ankle doesn't look good"
- 13 Sep 18:30 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY 2-2 - Official matchbox: Demichelis saves the day for Citizens
- 12 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Wenger against homophobia: "Sports should be ahead of society. Fighting against any kind of discrimination is very important"
- 12 Sep 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Chelsea on tracking Alcacer
- 12 Sep 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I'm unhappy with our transfer market"
- 11 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Now we have the right amount of fast and technical players"
- 11 Sep 21:15 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Happy to have Welbeck in Gunners' family. He'll fit better here than in United"
- 11 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Big pressure on us, we must show we improved from last year"
- 11 Sep 17:43 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Cazorla: "I hope Arteta joins back for the game. He's born to be captain"
- 11 Sep 17:26 MANCHESTER CITY, Zabaleta could face Gunners
- 11 Sep 15:45 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Proud of my assist record and the manager's praises"
- 11 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ozil is ok, Ramsey has little chances"
- 11 Sep 12:26 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey could be fit to face City
- 11 Sep 06:19 ARSENAL, Campbell's agent: "Fiorentina were interested"
- 10 Sep 17:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Chambers is a surprise for me. I'm happy I'm playing on a regular basis"
- 10 Sep 14:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Giroud's long-term injury: "Bad loss for us, but we need to come out stronger and be with him"
- 31 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Babacar
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 31 Oct 07:57 PSG, Cavani: "I am happy here"
- 31 Oct 07:27 EINTRACHT, Hubner: "Zambrano going nowhere"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 31 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I can still give a lot to this club"
- 31 Oct 06:00 AC MILAN, Torres: "Leaving Chelsea was my choice"
- 31 Oct 00:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA: Arsenal and Chelsea keen on Destro
- 30 Oct 23:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, De Pauw extends for Lokeren
- 30 Oct 22:00 FRANCE/ O.L., Gonalons towards renewal
- 30 Oct 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Zuculini might get back from Valencia in January
- 30 Oct 20:00 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, 3 Premier League top suitors for Toprak
- 30 Oct 19:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Uchida signs renewal for Schalke 04
- 30 Oct 18:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Gaitan more and more likely to extend
- 30 Oct 17:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Survey on Timo Horn
- 30 Oct 16:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Suggestion for Brahimi
- 30 Oct 15:57 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Possible winter attempt for Khedira
- 30 Oct 15:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, De Pauw renews with Lokeren
- 30 Oct 14:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tom Ince joins Nottingham Forest
- 30 Oct 14:29 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Eyes on Cicinho
- 30 Oct 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Possible winter attempt for Boakye
- 30 Oct 13:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bodmer extends for OGC Nice
- 30 Oct 12:57 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Vangioni
- 30 Oct 12:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Empoli, done for Hysaj's renewal
- 30 Oct 11:59 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Duel to Benfica for Dybala
- 30 Oct 11:29 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Gaitan to renew
- 30 Oct 11:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Also Arsenal after Lichtsteiner
- 30 Oct 10:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Nuno to renew
- 30 Oct 10:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Two names for the left flank
- 30 Oct 09:57 USA/ OFFICIAL, Martins renews with Seattle
- 30 Oct 09:39 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini for the bench
- 30 Oct 09:19 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Price for Suarez set
- 30 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ INTER, In talks for Icardi's new deal
- 30 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Ekdal
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 30 Oct 07:27 METZ, Malouda: "I knew this was a great club"
- 30 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "We admire Reus, but..."
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 30 Oct 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "The new contract? I'm happy here"
- 29 Oct 23:27 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Also Valencia after Guedes
- 29 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Vanden Borre
- 29 Oct 22:29 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Hajrovic
- 29 Oct 21:59 CROATIA/ HNK RIJEKA, Also Borussia after Kramaric
- 29 Oct 21:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Uçan towards Parma
- 29 Oct 21:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Soares to renew
- 29 Oct 20:37 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Also Yakin for the bench
- 29 Oct 20:17 ITALY/ INTER, Still keen on Digne
- 29 Oct 19:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, King renews with Leicester City
- 29 Oct 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Neto likely to renew
Already tracked by Tottenham and AC Milan, Italian international forward Mattia Destro (23), according to Daily Star, is getting more and more of a primary winter target for both Arsenal and Chelsea. Currently on a deal with AS Roma until June 2017, former Inter youth player is h
AC Milan forward Fernando Torres has declared: "Mourinho has always been good to me. The decision to leave was a personal one because I needed mo
Interviewed by Diesefoot.fr, Sevilla FC midfielder Stéphane Mbia has declared: "Coming back here has always been my priority. Together wit
Juventus righr back Mauricio Isla, actually on loan at QPR, has declared about the possibility to rejoin the bianconeri before the end of the season:
Commenting upon the 2 goals scored against Bordeaux, Paris Saint-Germain offensive midfielder and winger Lucas Moura stated: "I'm very happy
Commenting upon the 3-0 inflicted to St. Pauli, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp stated: "We had a very good first half, we deserved to get