LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 15.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 02 Jan 19:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Gerrard's farewell: "An immense player, an incomparable leader and man. The word legend doesn't do him justice"
- 02 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I love this club"
- 01 Jan 07:00 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "The transfer market? We won't be busy"
- 31 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "It was tough to watch"
- 31 Dec 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "I want to keep Shelvey"
- 30 Dec 12:21 ARSENAL, Gibbs: "I want to become a great player"
- 30 Dec 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Stambouli: "No regrets about coming here"
- 29 Dec 15:44 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We defended with spirit"
- 29 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 28 Dec 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 26 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL v QPR - Boxing Day Preview - Giroud: "Happy to hear headers aren't my best quality"
- 25 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger: "Balance in rotation is very hard to find"
- 25 Dec 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? You never know.."
- 24 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Szczesny: "Austin could be a role model for young English players"
- 24 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Mertesacker: "He had a difficult start, but he's got sharper"
- 24 Dec 06:59 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "No enquiries for Berahino"
- 23 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger on team news: "Rosicky and Sanogo will be certainly back"
- 23 Dec 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I like Morrison"
- 22 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm not pleased by our performance, but we take a good point achieved at Liverpool"
- 22 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Flamini after 2-2 at Liverpool: "We'll improve as we recover injured players"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 30 Nov 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Delph could leave"
- 29 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, Man of the match Cazorla on victory over WBA: "Important result, now we need to play the same way"
- 29 Nov 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "A few months ago I was the manager of the year..."
- 28 Nov 20:37 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger: "We need balance between attacking and defending. WBA's technical level is really good"
- 28 Nov 15:00 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger on team news: "Szczesny out, Koscielny might start"
- 25 Jan 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Summer plan for signing Yaya Touré
- 24 Jan 23:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING BRAGA, 2 rivals towards Lazio's Pereirinha
- 24 Jan 22:00 ENGLAND/ WBA, Duel to Premier League and Serie A suitors for M'Vila
- 24 Jan 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Cassano might join back
- 24 Jan 20:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiakos sign Franco Jara
- 24 Jan 19:39 ITALY/ AS ROMA: Duel to Arsenal, Liverpool and Juventus on Lacazette
- 24 Jan 19:20 ARGENTINA/ RACING AVELLANEDA, Eyes on Papu Gomez
- 24 Jan 19:00 CORINTHIANS & SAO PAULO, Pato offered to Everton
- 24 Jan 18:37 ITALY/ INTER, Almost done for Brozovic
- 24 Jan 18:17 ITALY/ TORINO, Steps forward towards Osvaldo
- 24 Jan 17:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo might join Hellas Verona back
- 24 Jan 17:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Not giving up on Illarramendi
- 24 Jan 17:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Savic joins Watford
- 24 Jan 17:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Medical checks for Eto'o
- 24 Jan 16:27 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Diego Rodriguez joins Independiente Avellaneda
- 24 Jan 15:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, RCD Mallorca sign Xisco
- 24 Jan 15:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bologna sign Mbaye on loan from Inter
- 24 Jan 14:59 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jaime Ayovi joins Godoy Cruz back
- 24 Jan 14:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan yield Watson to Watford
- 24 Jan 14:00 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Shanghai Shenhua sign Papadopoulos
- 24 Jan 13:37 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Approaching Henrique
- 24 Jan 13:17 SPAIN/ RAYO VALLECANO, Correa about to join on loan from Atletico
- 24 Jan 12:59 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Big plan for signing Bale
- 24 Jan 12:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Larrondo joins Tigre
- 24 Jan 12:20 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Kuyt willing to join back
- 24 Jan 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign Lucas Silva
- 24 Jan 11:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Hamdi joins Brest
- 24 Jan 10:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco da Gama sign Serginho
- 24 Jan 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Attempt for Luiz Adriano
- 24 Jan 08:30 USA/ OFFICIAL, Grana joins Columbus
- 24 Jan 07:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson still injured
- 24 Jan 07:27 LILLE, Girard: "Nothing going on about my future"
- 24 Jan 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "No hurry about Guardiola's renewal"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 24 Jan 00:00 NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Benitez wants to stay"
- 23 Jan 23:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign Lucas Silva
- 23 Jan 22:57 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montpellier sign Sotoca
- 23 Jan 22:29 HOLLAND/ PSV, Eyes on Diego Reyes
- 23 Jan 21:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Anderson renews with Burnley
- 23 Jan 21:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Tomorrow medicals for Gilardino
- 23 Jan 21:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Dundee sign McGowan
- 23 Jan 20:37 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Erciyesspor sign Drenthe
- 23 Jan 20:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Larrondo joins Tigre
- 23 Jan 19:59 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lierse sign Capdevila
- 23 Jan 19:39 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Santos
- 23 Jan 19:20 CYRPUS/ OFFICIAL, APOEL sign Lanig
- 23 Jan 19:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Davila joins Vitoria
- 23 Jan 18:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Brillante joins Empoli
- 23 Jan 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Eyes on Koka
According to latest news reported in Italian media, highlighted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter manager Roberto Mancini, with the consent of Neroazzurri owner, Erick Thohir, is planning to sign Ivorian international half-back Yaya Touré (31). Former
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has declared about his first team's coach Rafa Benitez: "He wants to remain
Real Madrid coach Sergio Ramos has declared about 28-year-old defender Sergio Ramos: "He has always given everything for the team, he is motivate
Interviewed by LP Sports, Luis Carlini, agent of Chelsea midfielder Ramires, has declared: "There are no negotiations underway for a departure of
Interviewed by Tele Radio Stereo, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "Thinking that in the last days of the
Interviewed by TZ, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about the first team's coach Pep Guardiola: "I hope that he will stay