LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 13.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 30 Mar 07:29 MAN. CITY, Silva: "Barça? I am happy here"
- 29 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "My future? I have given my word.."
- 28 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Gunners crisis: "There's still a lot of turning games before the season ends"
- 28 Mar 11:00 NEW YORK RED BULLS, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry: "I'm excited for playing friendly match against Gunners"
- 28 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ramsey is progressing in recovering"
- 28 Mar 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Benteke's agent: "Too early to talk about the future"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
- 19 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zapata the key for Muriel
- 19 Apr 13:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Two clubs after Kompany
- 19 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back for Ljajic
- 19 Apr 12:29 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Interest for Schwegler
- 19 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gonalons
- 19 Apr 11:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stanton renews with Hibernian
- 19 Apr 10:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Romulo on permanent basis
- 19 Apr 10:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Sirigu about to renew
- 19 Apr 09:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Montella for the bench
- 19 Apr 09:29 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Luzern sign Holenstein
- 19 Apr 09:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Keen on De Paul
- 19 Apr 08:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Two players renew with Toulouse
- 19 Apr 07:57 CROATIA/ DYNAMO, Fernandes injured
- 19 Apr 07:27 OL, Aulas: "Lacazette and Grenier will stay"
- 19 Apr 06:59 HOFFENHEIM, Beck's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 19 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Romeu: "My future? It's up to Chelsea"
- 19 Apr 00:00 INTER, Rolando: "My future? I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 23:37 FRANCE/ OM, Still waiting for Bielsa
- 18 Apr 23:17 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Done for Arthur
- 18 Apr 22:59 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Also Immobile on the shortlist
- 18 Apr 22:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Barrios could be loaned out
- 18 Apr 22:20 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Eyes on Darder
- 18 Apr 22:00 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Also Juventus after Boëtius
- 18 Apr 21:37 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Three more options for ter Stegen
- 18 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Basel after Mustafi
- 18 Apr 20:59 FRANCE/ OM, Amalfitano towards England
- 18 Apr 20:39 ITALY/ TORINO, Auction for Glik
- 18 Apr 20:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Eyes on Manolas
- 18 Apr 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ranieri to replace Montella?
- 18 Apr 19:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Offer for Immobile ready
- 18 Apr 19:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Wagner
- 18 Apr 19:15 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Contacts with Diouf
- 18 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Paulinho to replace Pjanic
- 18 Apr 18:45 HOLLAND/ PSV, Rekik could stay
- 18 Apr 18:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on two Fiorentina players
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by Mediaset after the game won against his former team Fiorentina, AS Roma forward Adem Ljajic has declared: 2My future? I arrived...
Interviewed by AS, Fernando Felicevich, agent of Barcelona 25 year old forward Alexis Sanchez has declared: "I have talked with Alexis, who...
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry, actually on loan at Everton, has declared: "If the club offer me a contract and show me they want...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...