LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 13.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 21:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 20:20 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, 2 Spanish Liga suitors for Carbonero
- 23 Apr 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Diouf offered by 2 Serie A clubs
- 23 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Bastos to Hannover?
- 23 Apr 19:30 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S OLD BOYS, Trezeguet's agent
- 23 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 19:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Agreement with Baumann
- 23 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Vrsaljko
- 23 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to renew
- 23 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly likely to join
- 23 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Sprint for Kim
- 23 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for M'Bia
- 23 Apr 17:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Hertha after Contento
- 23 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, English duo after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 17:00 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Servette, Cantaluppi stays until the end of season
- 23 Apr 16:46 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare tracking Ajeti of Basilea
- 23 Apr 16:33 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Demichelis: "I hope that I can end my career at River Plate"
- 23 Apr 16:18 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Also Aston Villa interested in Darder
- 23 Apr 15:59 JUVENTUS, 23-man travelling party for Benfica
- 23 Apr 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ameobi accuses Magpies chiefs of 'hurting' the club
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 15:10 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Meeting with Djuricic's agent
- 23 Apr 14:49 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Sandro: "I'm happy here"
- 23 Apr 14:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Nürnberg: axed Verbeek
- 23 Apr 14:15 AC MILAN, Muntari: "We have to keep on doing well”
- 23 Apr 13:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve-Sanchez: here the details
- 23 Apr 13:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man Utd: Scholes back to assist Giggs
- 23 Apr 13:32 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Calhanoglu is the first market target
- 23 Apr 13:16 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Tim Krul considering summer exit from St James' Park
- 23 Apr 13:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs opens to Naldo renewal
- 23 Apr 12:44 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D, Kehl out for 2 weeks
- 23 Apr 12:33 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D., Liverpool observing Mkhitaryan
- 23 Apr 12:16 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Champions will change out market"
- 23 Apr 12:02 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Observing Jack Cork
- 23 Apr 11:46 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Eye on Eric Dier
- 23 Apr 11:34 ENGLAND/ CHELSA, Čech out for season
- 23 Apr 11:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 11:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio more and more inclined to leave
- 23 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to Napoli and Inter for Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:41 FIFA/ SPAIN, Barcelona appeal granted suspensive effect
- 23 Apr 10:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI: New chances for Agger, if Benitez stays
- 23 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ PALERMO, Attempt for Luca Rigoni
- 23 Apr 10:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Wolf set to renew
- 23 Apr 09:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Tello
- 23 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Serie A suitors for Marcio Rozario
- 23 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, A new loan for Duncan in the viewfinder
- 23 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New attempt for Mkhitaryan ready
- 23 Apr 08:45 GERMANY/ DUISBURG, Two U.S. American players in testing
- 23 Apr 08:30 HAMBURG & CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Alexis Sanchez tempted to join: 2 facts to weigh up
According to what reported by Sport Mediaset, AC Milan management, since possibly letting both Ignazio Abate and Mattia De Sciglio leave, are willing to sign Italian international right backwing Matteo Darmian (24), who had been a youth player for Rossoneri. Currently on a...
Juve boss Antonio Conte has called up a 23-man Bianconeri group for the trip to face Benfica in Thursday 24 April’s Europa League...
Club Atlético de Madrid's players were in philosophical mood following Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Chelsea FC, Filipe Luís...
Defender Gary Cahill told UEFA.com that Chelsea FC were beginning to dream of a possible UEFA Champions League final, now they are just a game...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....