LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I have no doubts"
28.09.2012 13.17 by TM W
© foto di Nicolo' Zangirolami/Image Spor
Luis Suarez has reiterated his conviction Liverpool will soon reap the rewards of their impressive early-season performances – but believes both he and the team could benefit from a change in luck.
The Reds have picked up two points from their opening five Barclays Premier League fixtures, though commanding displays against Manchester City, Sunderland and, most recently, Manchester United have merited more.
Suarez, however, remains steadfast in his belief Brendan Rodgers' side are not far away from hitting the sort of form that will elevate them up the league table.
The Uruguayan told Liverpoolfc.com: "It makes it more difficult when your opening fixtures of the season are against strong teams like Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United - they are not easy games.
"We also have new manager and I think we've been a bit unlucky at times, but we've been playing the kind of football he wants us to play.
"What everyone clearly wants from now on is to pick up as many points as we can. Everyone is keen to turn the situation around and put an end to what's happened in the last few games."
Following the recent 1-1 draw at Sunderland, Suarez took to his official Twitter account to insist the hard work being done at Melwood would soon be turned into points.
It's an opinion that was only strengthened by Liverpool's dominant performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United.
Suarez added: "I believe in my teammates and the quality of the individual players and the squad as a whole, that's the most important thing.
"If everyone is together and we believe in each other, that's the best way to keep moving forward. At the moment, we are not in the position where Liverpool Football Club has to be, which is battling it out at the top end of the league.
"But we've been a bit unlucky, and I still believe - and will continue to believe - that we have a lot of quality here and a manager who is giving everyone the confidence to believe in their opportunities. The results will definitely come."
Though still waiting for that first league win, Rodgers' approach - both on and off the field - has made a big impression on the Liverpool squad.
Not least on Suarez, who is relishing working under the new manager's football values.
"He has a great philosophy on how the game should be played, similar to the football you see in the Spanish league," he said. "I think we are all trying to adapt to his style and similarly he is getting used to us.
"We're trying to do our best for him and he is also a manager who really trusts in his players and backs his team. So let's hope that results start improving, based upon the togetherness of the squad working closely with the manager."
Suarez heads into this weekend's clash with Norwich City having struck three goals in seven appearances so far in 2012-13.
However, the 25-year-old is determined to improve upon that statistic - insisting he is still approaching top form this term.
He said: "As a striker, you always want to be scoring goals or making assists, and helping the team however you can.
"I know myself that I can still up my game that little bit and maybe enjoy a little bit more luck in front of goal, because it's a striker's job to score goals.
"Let's hope that both myself and the whole of the team can keep improving and pick up some good results."
Overall, Suarez has an impressive 24 goals in 59 appearances for Liverpool - though he accepts he hasn't been as prolific in front of goal in England as he was with previous club Ajax in Holland.
"I don't think that you can compare my goalscoring record at Ajax with here," he explained. "Firstly, because the Premier League is a very tough league to play in and, secondly, at Ajax I went through a period where the goals were flying in from wherever I shot. I'd get rebounds going in off my shoulder.
"I'm not getting that sort of luck at the moment. Sometimes I'm doing the hard part by getting away from the defender, but then I'm not finishing well.
"But that's what you work on in training and sometimes there's a bit of luck involved as well, but by practising hard I'm sure that the goals I want to score will come."
Liverpool's last two league outings have seen Suarez have penalty appeals waved away, but the striker is philosophical about the decisions.
He said: "There are times when the referee gets it right and others when he doesn't, but that's all part and parcel of the game.
"It's happened in the last few games, like against Manchester United when the penalty shout on me wasn't given and then the one on Valencia was, but talking about it doesn't solve anything - the referee has a split second to see an incident. Let's just hope that it doesn't happen again in the future."
Meanwhile, Suarez admits he's been deeply touched by the recent events surrounding the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report.
Liverpool marked their first home game since the report was published with a series of tributes before Sunday's fixture with United.
"It's been an emotional time in every way," reflected Suarez. "I think that even the Manchester United supporters must have felt it. There was an incredible feeling amongst everyone in the stadium for those families who'd finally got the justice they'd fought for after suffering for so long.
"Everybody now knows the truth and they can rest a little easier.
"It was a very special moment to be a player out there on the field too, because of all that's been said and everything that has gone on over the years, and now, today, everyone is aware of the truth."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 06:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 18:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 06:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 06:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 06:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 14:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 13:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 07:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 06:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 06:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 06:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 16:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 06:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 06:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 19:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 18:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 09:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 16:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 17:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 16:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 11:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 24 Jul 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, From Spain: majestic offer for Marquinhos
- 24 Jul 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Closing on Vermaelen
- 24 Jul 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Back for Ryan Bertrand
- 24 Jul 13:45 INTER & ATLETICO MADRID, Final duel on Chicharito Hernandez
- 24 Jul 13:30 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Agreement with Marseille for signing Payet
- 24 Jul 13:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin joining Arsenal might lead Clasie in
- 24 Jul 13:03 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo Verona sign Gamberini
- 24 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Duel to Italian and German rivals on Bonaventura
- 24 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Lead over Liverpool and Porto on Bakkali
- 24 Jul 12:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Michel
- 24 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Kiyotake about to be announced
- 24 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Real Madrid offer for El Shaarawy rejected
- 24 Jul 11:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Miranda joins Chievo Verona
- 24 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Surprise lead over Lazio on Astori
- 24 Jul 11:00 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Eyes on Antonsson
- 24 Jul 10:45 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Zeman wants Galano
- 24 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Bellomo more and more likely to join
- 24 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Arsenal defeated: Loic Remy about to join
- 24 Jul 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Romero
- 24 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Agree £4million fee for midfielder Besic
- 24 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo weighs up Galatasaray transfer due to Allegri's presence
- 24 Jul 09:13 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Continue to track Raphael Varane
- 24 Jul 08:55 ENGLAND/ QPR, plot Samuel Eto'o transfer
- 24 Jul 08:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 08:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Keylor Navas
- 24 Jul 08:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar
- 24 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Badelj
- 24 Jul 07:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Gaitan about to join
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 24 Jul 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "Will I stay? Of course!"
- 24 Jul 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We can't afford to sign Behrami"
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
According to Daily Mail, Manchester United management, while facing Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand's departures, and being about to sign Mats Hummels from Borussia Dortmund, are trying close with Arsenal on the signing of Belgian international centre-back Thomas...
After completing their first training session on US soil, Nemanja Vidic stopped to give their first thoughts on tour. And despite the jet-leg,...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...