REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 18 May 08:30 VALENCIA, Bernat: "I hope to remain"
- 17 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "I will stay here"
- 16 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Cuenca: "I don't know if I will stay"
- 15 May 19:30 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I came here as a child and I leave with a family"
- 15 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll offer a new contract to Rakitic"
- 14 May 08:15 ATLETICO, Diego: "My future? After the CL final"
- 13 May 19:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I like the idea of delivering La Decima"
- 13 May 19:07 BARCELONA, Neymar hopes to return for title decider against Atletico Madrid
- 13 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "Real? Everybody dreams to play in the CL"
- 12 May 19:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano expects changes
- 12 May 18:15 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "200 per cent confident of winning La Liga"
- 12 May 08:15 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "The next game could be the last one.."
- 11 May 08:30 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I hope Martino will stay"
- 10 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "If somebody is not happy with me.."
- 09 May 13:16 REAL MADRID, Pepe out 15 days
- 09 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not sure to stay"
- 07 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery will stay"
- 06 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Sosa's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 05 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Martino? Soon we'll meet"
- 03 May 08:00 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? Just rumours"
- 02 May 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Martinez: "Nver to Athletic"
- 01 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "My future is here"
- 30 Apr 08:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "I signed for this club to win the CL"
- 29 Apr 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "I think Diego Costa will stay"
- 28 Apr 17:48 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "For me, it is a dream to win the Champions"
- 26 Apr 02:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho's grief for Vilanova's death: "A very hard moment"
- 25 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic's agent: "No contacts with Lazio"
- 24 Apr 13:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 08:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 02 Aug 10:27 ENGLAND/ QPR, Also Giovinco on the wishlist
- 02 Aug 09:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Offer for Darmian ready
- 02 Aug 09:29 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Bordachev joins Rostov
- 02 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Negotiation with Eto'o denied
- 02 Aug 08:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Lead on Isla
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 02 Aug 07:27 OM, Nkoulou: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Aug 06:59 BORUSSIA D., Aubameyang: "I have a contract and I don't want to leave"
- 02 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Wickham will either renew or leave"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 02 Aug 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 01 Aug 23:27 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Also OM after Ghilas
- 01 Aug 22:57 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S, Banega could come back
- 01 Aug 22:29 ITALY/ INTER, Osvaldo about to join
- 01 Aug 21:59 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Brandao's signing failed
- 01 Aug 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Done for Romulo
- 01 Aug 21:00 NORWAY/ STROMSGODSET, Auction for Ödegaard
- 01 Aug 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Mission for Campbell
- 01 Aug 20:17 PARAGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Olimpia sign Acuña
- 01 Aug 19:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Contacts for Jesé Rodriguez
- 01 Aug 19:39 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, PSV sign Lukovic
- 01 Aug 19:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Sandro
- 01 Aug 19:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL,Ochoa joins Malaga
- 01 Aug 18:44 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMTON, Koeman: "We are looking for the best for Osvaldo"
- 01 Aug 18:31 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Eyes on Cardozo
- 01 Aug 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, a season-long loan deal for Facundo Ferreyra
- 01 Aug 18:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Munari can move on loan to Watford
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 17:35 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Lica joins Rayo Vallecano
- 01 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hangeland joins Crystal Palace
- 01 Aug 17:13 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campell is part of my plans"
- 01 Aug 16:58 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Dier move agreed
- 01 Aug 16:50 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "It's a possibility that Vermaelen goes"
- 01 Aug 16:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL Atletico Madrid, arrives Ansaldi on loan
- 01 Aug 16:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Mandanda
- 01 Aug 16:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, 15 million euros needed for purchasing Mustafi: Juventus, AC Milan and Wolfsburg await
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ultimate move for Moreno ready
- 01 Aug 15:45 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Duel to PSG for Cech
- 01 Aug 15:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Feddal about to be signed
- 01 Aug 15:15 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Luna more and more likely to join Italian side
- 01 Aug 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Willing to blaze Borussia on Kagawa: United's request
- 01 Aug 14:44 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Suggestion for Pinilla
- 01 Aug 14:30 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa, new effort for Niang: the alternative is Baptistao
- 01 Aug 14:13 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL, Milevsky joins Hajduk Spalato
- 01 Aug 14:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa target Cristian Zapata from AC Milan
- 01 Aug 13:45 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan Aké might be loaned out to Derby County
- 01 Aug 13:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Ultimate strain for signing Hummels
- 01 Aug 13:15 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Biabiany: Botta as a counterpart
- 01 Aug 13:02 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Seferovic joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 01 Aug 13:00 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Obinna set to join if Bianchi trade fails
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has reiterated Morgan Schneiderlin will not be leaving the club and has warned the midfielder of his conduct following his midweek outburst on Twitter. Koeman said: "He is a player of Southampton and will continue to be."
Interviewed by Radio Kiss Kiss, Carlo Pallavicino, agent of Napoli forward Goran Pandev, has declared: "He would like to play continously at Napo
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared:"There are still some things to do, I will talk about to it to Luis Enrique and Zubizarreta
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has declared: "The future, only god knows. There is competition here and I will continue to work hard
PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "I am happy in Paris. I have a contract to honor. I am calm, I prefer to stay. I feel well here. But I k