REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 06:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 06:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 06:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 14:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 06:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 06:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 06:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 10 Jun 22:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 06:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 06:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 06:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 06:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 18:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 06:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 22 Jul 17:14 ENGLAND, Liverpool join Arsenal in race to sign Manquillo
- 22 Jul 17:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 16:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi: still in blaugrana
- 22 Jul 16:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE UNITED, Willing to let Sylvain Marveaux go
- 22 Jul 16:16 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Kolo Toure can leave
- 22 Jul 16:05 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW- Inter, thinking about Pulido
- 22 Jul 15:44 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa: Wolfsburg working for Cofie
- 22 Jul 15:30 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Bruce interested in Rose
- 22 Jul 15:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man City, Huws yielded to Wigan
- 22 Jul 15:00 BRAZIL, Dunga is the new coach: "I am immensely happy to be back"
- 22 Jul 14:43 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Mlapa on loan to Nurberg
- 22 Jul 14:27 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMTON, Koeman: "We have had no bid from Liverpool for Lovren"
- 22 Jul 14:13 FRANCE/ MONACO, Interested in Guarin
- 22 Jul 13:58 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Set to offload midfielder Javi Garcia
- 22 Jul 13:44 ITALY/ MILAN, Inzaghi calm over Balotelli’s future
- 22 Jul 13:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Samp: arrives Campaña from Crystal Palace
- 22 Jul 13:15 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Nuno: "We like Enzo Perez"
- 22 Jul 13:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Contacts for Griezmann confirmed
- 22 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester sign Ulloa
- 22 Jul 12:32 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Beria renews with Lille
- 22 Jul 12:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez
- 22 Jul 12:00 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Kurtulus renews with Galatasaray
- 22 Jul 11:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Foster renews with WBA
- 22 Jul 11:29 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kroos renews with Werder
- 22 Jul 11:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, To plan £150million spending spree
- 22 Jul 11:00 ITALY/ JUVE, Morata out 50 days
- 22 Jul 10:43 ITALY/ MILAN, Criscito's agent: "He stays in Russia"
- 22 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta: sign Boakye
- 22 Jul 10:16 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini interested in Drogba
- 22 Jul 10:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wisdom joins West Bromwich Albion
- 22 Jul 10:00 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA, Medicals for Gylfi Sigurdsson
- 22 Jul 09:44 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA MOCHENGLADBACH, Mlapa on loan to Nurberg
- 22 Jul 09:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Afobe requited by Wigan
- 22 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Shaqiri
- 22 Jul 08:45 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Hummels likely to join
- 22 Jul 08:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Cavani wants to leave
- 22 Jul 08:22 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, £17m bid for Blind
- 22 Jul 08:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, New offer for Suarez
- 22 Jul 08:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Idea Sneijder
- 22 Jul 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Diaz
- 22 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 22 Jul 06:57 PSG, Pastore: "I won't leave"
- 22 Jul 06:39 BAYERN, Sammer: "We are not after Cuadrado"
- 22 Jul 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 22 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 22 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 23:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Cordoba sign Havenaar
- 21 Jul 23:17 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Rostov sign Torbinskiy
- 21 Jul 22:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodriguez joins Depor
- 21 Jul 22:39 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Rubin and Dynamo
According to Mirror Liverpool and Arsenal are battling it out to sign Atletico Madrid defender Javier Manquillo.
The Merseyside club want to sign the 20-year-old on loan for the duration of next season and are in advanced talks with La Liga winners and Champions League...
On his first day of work after returning from his post-World Cup holidays, Yuto Nagatomo answered some questions from Roberto Scarpini...
Levante 27-year-old goalkeeper Keylor Navas has declared: "At the moment I haven't signed for anyone. In the future I hope to be able...
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has declared about 28-year-old defender Thomas Vermaelen: "I cannot guarantee he will stay, but should he go...
Interviewed by Sport1, Bayern Munich Sports Director Matthias Sammer has declared about 26-year-old Juan Cuadrado: "The rumours regarding...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...