REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 29 Oct 07:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "The secret for defeating Barça was running and fighting"
- 28 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Mandzukic: "I had offers from Italy, but.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 30 Oct 14:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Suggestion for Brahimi
- 30 Oct 14:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tom Ince joins Nottingham Forest
- 30 Oct 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Possible winter attempt for Boakye
- 30 Oct 13:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bodmer extends for OGC Nice
- 30 Oct 12:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Vangioni
- 30 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Duel to Benfica for Dybala
- 30 Oct 10:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Empoli, done for Hysaj's renewal
- 30 Oct 09:19 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Price for Suarez set
- 30 Oct 09:00 ITALY/ INTER, In talks for Icardi's new deal
- 30 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Ekdal
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 30 Oct 07:27 METZ, Malouda: "I knew this was a great club"
- 30 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "We admire Reus, but..."
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 30 Oct 00:00 INTER, Kovacic: "The new contract? I'm happy here"
- 29 Oct 23:27 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Also Valencia after Guedes
- 29 Oct 22:57 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Vanden Borre
- 29 Oct 22:29 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Hajrovic
- 29 Oct 21:59 CROATIA/ HNK RIJEKA, Also Borussia after Kramaric
- 29 Oct 21:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Uçan towards Parma
- 29 Oct 21:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Soares to renew
- 29 Oct 20:37 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Also Yakin for the bench
- 29 Oct 20:17 ITALY/ INTER, Still keen on Digne
- 29 Oct 19:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, King renews with Leicester City
- 29 Oct 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Neto likely to renew
- 29 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Gurpegui could leave
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 16:27 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Eyes on Sunjic
- 29 Oct 15:57 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Offer for Howedes ready
- 29 Oct 15:29 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Waris
- 29 Oct 14:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atromitos Athens, Italian and French suitors for Tatos
- 29 Oct 14:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Barreto more and more likely to leave
- 29 Oct 14:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Mangala is the centre-back that we need"
- 29 Oct 13:46 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Klopp is Wenger leaves
- 29 Oct 13:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, J. Rodriguez: "This is my dream"
- 29 Oct 13:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Napoli target Mario Balotelli
- 29 Oct 13:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL,Balotelli in new storm
- 29 Oct 12:47 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Alex Song: " I think my future will be here"
- 29 Oct 12:32 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, monitoring Lichtsteiner's situation at Juve
- 29 Oct 12:17 ITALY/ PARMA, El Ghanassy offered to Italian club
- 29 Oct 11:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Pazzini migth get back to Sampdoria in January
- 29 Oct 11:39 BAYER, INTER & AS ROMA, Back for Montoya
- 29 Oct 11:20 FRANCE/ O.M., Attempt for Lass Diarra ready
- 29 Oct 11:10 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eye on Grzegorz Krychowiak
- 29 Oct 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Cole on target for January
- 29 Oct 10:48 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Stolen a march on Bayern in the race to sign Guedes
- 29 Oct 10:37 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Last renewal offer to Zambrano
- 29 Oct 10:26 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Could bring former Arsenal left-back Cole back
- 29 Oct 10:17 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Suggestion for Benschop
Currently on a deal with Juventus until June 2017 and playing on loan for Atalanta, Ghanaian international striker Richmond Boakye (21) is becoming more and more of a main target for Arsenal, whose management, according to Daily Star, might submit Serie A reigning champions an of
Interviewed by Mediaset Premium, Inter Milan attacking midfielder Mateo Kovacic has declared: "My new contract? There is still time, let's se
Interviewed by Diesefoot.fr, Sevilla FC midfielder Stéphane Mbia has declared: "Coming back here has always been my priority. Together wit
Juventus righr back Mauricio Isla, actually on loan at QPR, has declared about the possibility to rejoin the bianconeri before the end of the season:
Commenting upon the 2 goals scored against Bordeaux, Paris Saint-Germain offensive midfielder and winger Lucas Moura stated: "I'm very happy
Commenting upon the 3-0 inflicted to St. Pauli, Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp stated: "We had a very good first half, we deserved to get