REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 03 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "Happy to stay"
- 02 Sep 10:45 REAL MADRID, Official statement on De Gea's missed transfer
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 31 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar: "I want to play in the Copa America and the Olympics"
- 30 Aug 10:30 MALAGA, Javi Garcia: "I don't understand Darder's departure"
- 27 Aug 08:19 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "I will stay"
- 21 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Everything can happen until August 31"
- 20 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "The transfer market? There is still time"
- 14 Aug 08:29 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 13 Aug 16:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "Pedro would be perfect for Premier"
- 13 Aug 08:19 CELTA, Nolito: "Either I'll return to Barça, or I will stay here"
- 12 Aug 15:29 BARCELONA FC, Pedro: "Leaving? It's a matter of pitch time, not money"
- 12 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I hope Pedro will stay"
- 11 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Llorente? We must wait"
- 10 Aug 11:50 REAL BETIS, Vargas: "Great ambition, I hope to stay for so long"
- 10 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Soon a decision about Asensio"
- 09 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "The market? In August I'm always nervous"
- 08 Aug 06:00 RAYO, Martín Presa: "Zhang's signing has not been imposed"
- 07 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'm attached to my club"
- 06 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 05 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 04 Aug 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "No chances that Osvaldo will join us"
- 03 Aug 11:44 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "We will win when it matters"
- 03 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Garcia: "Happy of our new signings"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ramos? We'll see"
- 27 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I'm sure Ramos will stay"
- 25 Jul 12:30 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "I am sure that Sergio Ramos will stay"
- 24 Jul 09:30 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "This year he will stay"
- 23 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Who wants Adriano must pay his clause"
- 22 Jul 06:29 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I would like Pedro to stay"
- 17 Jul 06:30 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Turan could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We have been after Immobile for a long time"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Piccini: "Happy to be here"
- 09 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Macia: "We are interested in Pazzini"
- 08 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My situation is delicate"
- 07 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "This year Pogba won't join us"
- 06 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "Honored by Fiorentina's interest"
- 01 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "i have no intention to leave"
- 30 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am about to join Atletico"
- 26 Jun 07:27 OM, Labrune: "We want to sell Imbula"
- 26 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 25 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We like Rami, but"
- 24 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 23 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Roig: "We have signed Leo Baptistao"
- 22 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "Atletico have paid Vietto's clause"
- 21 Jun 09:30 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Contacts with Tevez, but he wants to join Boca"
- 20 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Otamendi: "The club knows what I want"
- 19 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Ochoa: "My agent is looking for a new club"
- 18 Jun 09:15 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Only Koke and Godin are unsellable"
- 17 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "Piccini will move back to Fiorentina"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Mandzukic's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 15 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Coentrao: "One day I will join Benfica.."
- 14 Jun 06:30 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Inter agreable destination"
- 13 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We are about to sign Kakuta"
- 12 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Only God knows if I'll stay"
- 09 Jun 18:06 BARCELONA FC, Bartomeu: "We've closed the deal for Luis Enrique to remain"
- 09 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Ollero: "We are in advanced talks with van der Vaart"
- 08 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca's agente: "Many clubs after him"
- 07 Jun 09:30 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I have an offer from Italy"
- 06 Jun 08:29 SEVILLA, Emery: "Happy to stay"
- 05 Jun 16:48 Photos from Berlin about Juventus-Barcellona
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "I'm happy here"
- 04 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder's agent: "He wants to join Inter"
- 03 Jun 16:15 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "It is an emotional day because I've returned home"
- 03 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery has an offer from Napoli"
- 02 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery could renew"
- 01 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I would like to dip into the Premier League market"
- 31 May 08:59 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "If Atletico will pay my release clause..."
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I would like to stay"
- 29 May 01:59 BARCELONA, Mascherano:" I wouldn't trade places with Messi"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "My future? I am learning English"
- 27 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "If Otamendi wants to leave..."
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Mi future? In two weeks"
- 25 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, CR7, I hope Ancelotti will stay
- 24 May 06:59 ATLETICO, Torres: "I want to end my career here"
- 23 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Happy if De Gea joins us"
- 22 May 15:15 ATHLETIC BILBAO/ OFFICIAL, Manager Valverde renews
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 21 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We haven't talked about Higuain"
- 20 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery is happy here"
- 19 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "It's not the moment to talk about Ancelotti's future"
- 18 May 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "Martínez won't join Liverpool"
- 17 May 09:00 RAYO, Jemez: "I don't think I'll stay"
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "Some important players could leave"
- 15 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "He will be the one deciding his future"
- 14 May 09:30 REAL MADRID, Bale promises Madrid will 'come back stronger'
- 14 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I'm happy here, but.."
- 13 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Gayà: "I hope to stay for many years"
- 12 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "It's nonsense to talk about my future"
- 11 May 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't know anything about Porto"
- 10 May 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I'm not going anywhere"
- 09 May 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No agreement with Atletico"
- 08 May 13:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes possibly departing after just one season 2 Premier League suitors
- 04 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Joel Campbell can still leave in January
- 04 Sep 18:37 CYPRUS/ OFFICIAL, Anorthosis sign Orlandi
- 04 Sep 18:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norris joins Blackpool
- 04 Sep 17:59 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Kayserispor sign wonderkid Caglayan
- 04 Sep 17:39 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Pastore's agent: "He'll stay put at PSG for a long time"
- 04 Sep 17:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Antalyaspor sign M'Bolhi
- 04 Sep 17:00 MLS - USA/ OFFICIAL, Raymond Lee resigns from Philadelphia Union
- 04 Sep 16:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pogba refused Chelsea offer
- 04 Sep 16:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City sign Maloney
- 04 Sep 15:53 ARSENAL, Nacho: "How English football changed me"
- 04 Sep 15:28 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Jonatan Lucca joins FC Goa
- 04 Sep 15:01 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Gaziantepspor sign Marçal
- 04 Sep 14:38 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Duel to Levante on Schelotto
- 04 Sep 14:16 ITALY/ PALERMO, El Kaoutari: "Monaco and Bordeaux were interested"
- 04 Sep 14:08 ITALY/ TORINO, Maksimovic could extend until 2020
- 04 Sep 13:44 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Nordsjaelland sign Lobotka
- 04 Sep 13:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Campagnaro joins Italian Serie B side Pescara
- 04 Sep 13:15 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Planning a winter attempt for Lulic
- 04 Sep 13:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, F. Perez: "De Gea delays a disgrace"
- 04 Sep 12:44 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, A new Messi for Real: Patanelli
- 04 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ MOTHERWELL, Grimshaw joining from United
- 04 Sep 12:14 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Possible departure for Villas-Boas
- 04 Sep 12:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Bid for Müller rejected
- 04 Sep 11:37 ITALY/ ROMA, Cole stays: he doesn't want to leave
- 04 Sep 11:17 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Renewal or bench for De Gea
- 04 Sep 10:59 CZECH REPUBLIC/ OFFICIAL, Slovan Liberec sign Efremov and Bartl
- 04 Sep 10:39 BRAZIL/ VASCO DA GAMA, Emanuelson might be joining soon
- 04 Sep 10:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Veteran Givet joins Tours
- 04 Sep 10:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Great affection for Spurs
- 04 Sep 09:58 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Fernandez: "Messi will stay for life"
- 04 Sep 09:43 ARSENAL, Welbeck shock: out 4 months
- 04 Sep 09:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Jeferson back to Vasco
- 04 Sep 08:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Two players about to renew
- 04 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Surgery for Welbeck
- 04 Sep 07:27 OL, Fekir: "I'm too young to play for United"
- 04 Sep 06:59 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We were not after Blaszczykowski"
- 04 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, De Bruyne's agent: "He was about to join Bayern"
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 04 Sep 00:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "He wants to stay for good"
- 03 Sep 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Ongenda joins Charleroi
- 03 Sep 22:57 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Carrillo about to renew
- 03 Sep 22:29 PARAGUAY/ CERRO PORTENO, Also Atletico MG after Diaz
- 03 Sep 21:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Rafinha ready
- 03 Sep 21:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Hernandez joins Rayo
- 03 Sep 21:00 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dnipro sign Tomečak
- 03 Sep 20:37 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Großkreutz's signing postponed
- 03 Sep 20:17 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Pico joins Dnipro
- 03 Sep 19:59 WERDER BREMEN & O.M., Suggestion for Claudio Pizarro
- 03 Sep 19:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Rugani's agent: "He won't be made available on winter transfer market"
- 03 Sep 19:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Schelotto resigns from Inter
After not having been signed by any club during summer transfer market session, neither on loan nor on a full basis, Costarican international forward Joel Campbell (23), now stuck at Arsenal with very few chances to get a consistent pitch-time, is likely to leave again next winte
Interviewed by Radio Marte, Antonio Ottaiano, agent of Napoli forward Lorenzo Insigne; "Lorenze has the will to spend his whole career at Napoli.
Atletico Madrid left back Guilherme Siqueira has told El Mundo Deportivo: "I want to say that Atletico have never put pression on me, in any sens
Nacho Monreal believes the physical nature of English football has made him a better player.
The Spain international joined Arsenal in January 2013
OM new wingback Paolo De Ceglie has declared: "I am very happy, it has been something sudden, but I am very happy to be here. OM is a great team
Disappointed by his own club's top brass having decided to yield almost 22 years old German international offensive midfielder and winger Julian D