REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 08:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 08:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 08:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 08:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 08:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 20:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 08:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 25 May 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Coke to Napoli? We have other plans"
- 23 May 08:00 VALENCIA, Mathieu: "My future? It's up to the club"
- 22 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Moving to Chelsea would be unhealthy"
- 21 May 17:47 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo chasing Merengues' 'décima' dream
- 21 May 15:44 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Please don’t compare me with Pep"
- 21 May 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will remain"
- 20 May 17:31 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We're confident we can beat Atletico again"
- 20 May 16:26 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "'La Décima' is not an obsession"
- 20 May 08:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I am happy here"
- 19 May 08:00 RAYO, Jémez: "Few chances for me to stay"
- 03 Sep 09:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal announce Miquel's full transfer to Norwich
- 03 Sep 08:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, In touch with Donadel
- 03 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia announce Negredo signing
- 03 Sep 08:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, José Alberto Cañas joins Espanyol
- 03 Sep 08:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, No AC Milan for Biabiany: Frenchman stays at Parma
- 03 Sep 07:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen loan Wagener out
- 03 Sep 07:30 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Pandev
- 03 Sep 07:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Mainz 05 sign Wollscheid
- 03 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "I am in the bigger club in the world"
- 03 Sep 06:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Hellas Verona sign Saviola
- 03 Sep 06:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Aquilani renewal negotiations getting hard
- 03 Sep 06:15 SPAIN/ DEPORTIVO, Diakité to attend medical tests tomorrow
- 03 Sep 06:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal loan Ryo Miyaichi out to Twente
- 03 Sep 00:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "Falcao? A fantastic signing. I'm honoured for having become England's captain"
- 02 Sep 23:37 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Micah Richards
- 02 Sep 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sandro joins QPR
- 02 Sep 22:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Swiss striker Michael Frey joins Lille
- 02 Sep 22:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kalou joins Hertha Berlin
- 02 Sep 22:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Evian sign Ninkovic
- 02 Sep 22:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Two renewals for Werder Bremen
- 02 Sep 21:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Former Liverpool youngster Stephen Sama joins Stuttgart
- 02 Sep 21:19 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Genk sign Cavric
- 02 Sep 20:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cagliari sign Joao Pedro
- 02 Sep 20:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Joao Silva joins Palermo
- 02 Sep 20:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Cabrera joins Estoril
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 19:36 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rennes sign Habib Habibou
- 02 Sep 19:24 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter loan Taider out again
- 02 Sep 19:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Tongo Doumbia joins Toulouse
- 02 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal announce Welbeck signing on a full basis
- 02 Sep 18:53 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sassuolo sign Consigli
- 02 Sep 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Cleverley joins Aston Villa from United
- 02 Sep 18:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Avramov joins Atalanta
- 02 Sep 18:32 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Belec
- 02 Sep 18:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester United announce terms on Falcao deal
- 02 Sep 18:18 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Diakité might join
- 02 Sep 18:11 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Chalobah out again
- 02 Sep 18:04 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Ricky Alvarez on loan from Inter
- 02 Sep 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Amalfitano
- 02 Sep 17:50 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta sign Papu Gomez
- 02 Sep 17:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Coates out to Sunderland
- 02 Sep 17:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Bonaventura
- 02 Sep 17:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino sign veteran goalie Castellazzi
- 02 Sep 17:22 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund loan Jonas Hofmann out
- 02 Sep 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan loan Gabriel to Serie B side Carpi
- 02 Sep 17:08 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Zaccardo stays at AC Milan
- 02 Sep 17:01 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Cabral set to be loaned out to soon
- 02 Sep 16:52 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kagawa joins Borussia Dortmund back from United
- 02 Sep 16:43 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund: Durm extends
- 02 Sep 16:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri joins Torino
Member of Arsenal Academy from 2008 to 2011, promoted to Gunners first squad, with 5 Premier League caps collected in 2011/12 and 2012/13 combined afterwards, then loaned out to Leicester City in 2013/14, former Spanish Under-19 and Under-21 international centre-back Ignasi
The player of As Roma, Balzaretti wanted to hold this press conference to give the latest on his injury and explain what he's going through. "
Iker Casillas started in the Anoeta and spoke about Real Madrid‘s defeat in the Anoeta no sooner had the match finished: “The team was neg
Excited from the start of his new adventure at Manchester United, after a very troubled year at AS Monaco, Colombian star striker Radamel Falcao state
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Xabi Alonso has set his sights on winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich, after previously lifting the trophy with Liverpool and Real Madrid.