REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 10 Dec 11:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "It never enters my head to leave"
- 10 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I am happy here"
- 06 Dec 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla wants to stay"
- 05 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We respect Valdes' decision"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 03 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya: "We are in talks for a new contract, but.."
- 01 Dec 09:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "I have three more years on my contract"
- 30 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanabria's agent: "Roma, Milan and Arsenal concrete options"
- 29 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "He is happy here, but.."
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld: "It would be great to have De Bruyne with us"
- 27 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Puyol on Ajax failure: "Our performance is unacceptable"
- 27 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Maduro: "I want to play somewhere else, even in Holland"
- 26 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "I want to stay"
- 25 Nov 18:15 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Wenger should buy us a dinner for Ozil"
- 25 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I want to stay forever"
- 24 Nov 09:30 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "The new contact? There is no hurry"
- 23 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 22 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "New contract? We'll see"
- 21 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "We won't yield Griezmann"
- 20 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I want to end my career here"
- 19 Nov 19:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi and Tello join Messi on the injury list
- 19 Nov 12:45 BARCELONA, Busquets backs Messi patience
- 19 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We son't sign a substitute for Khedira"
- 18 Nov 09:19 REAL MADRID, Microsoft won't rename Santiago Bernabeu
- 18 Nov 05:59 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Iniesta's new contract? Before Christmas"
- 17 Nov 08:30 ATLETICO, Rodriguez's agent: "His future? There's an offer from England"
- 16 Nov 14:30 REAL MADRID, Medical report on Khedira's tough injury
- 16 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like Reina to join us"
- 15 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "We are almost due to win World Cup. Leo Messi, join us back!"
- 15 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "No regrets about Barça, I'm happy here"
- 14 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, 14 players in first team training
- 14 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Song: "My future? Now I am happy here"
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I am happy here"
- 12 Nov 12:04 BARCELONA, Fàbregas is pleased with his current form
- 12 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "Many clubs are tracking him"
- 11 Nov 08:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "Messi the best player ever"
- 10 Nov 09:29 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla is going nowhere"
- 09 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas wants to stay"
- 08 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sergi Roberto's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 07 Nov 18:30 REAL MADRID, Morata: "My time will come, I am just thinking about enjoying myself"
- 07 Nov 16:26 BARCELONA, Neymar: "The team is growing, bit by bit"
- 07 Nov 12:26 BARCELONA, Messi: "Calm about recovering from injury"
- 07 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "PSG? I don't think it's possible"
- 06 Nov 15:30 REAL MADRID, U.S. computer titan Microsoft ready to colonize Santiago Bernabeu
- 05 Nov 16:00 BARCELONA, Dos Santos operation succesful
- 05 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Galliani is the CR7 of the executives"
- 04 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, Dos Santos to undergo operation
- 02 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I won't join Napoli"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Djukic: "I will keep on leading this team"
- 30 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "I am happy here, but..."
- 10 Dec 17:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brentford: Bees appoint McParland
- 10 Dec 16:45 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Larsson: "Deal talks on hold"
- 10 Dec 16:34 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on the new Dennis Bergkamp
- 10 Dec 16:15 AC MILAN, Allegri: "Muntari will be available tomorrow and De Sciglio is fit"
- 10 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez: "Arsenal is a very strong side"
- 10 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio: "We’re focused on tomorrow"
- 10 Dec 15:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR: Benayoun signs short-term contract
- 10 Dec 15:00 PSG, Blanc: "We want to maintain our high standards and win"
- 10 Dec 14:46 FRANCE/ MONACO, Ranieri: "No problem with Falcao"
- 10 Dec 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Set to move away from the Nou Camp
- 10 Dec 14:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Makienok
- 10 Dec 14:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis: "I think now we're on a really good path"
- 10 Dec 13:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola: "Coming second is not an option for us"
- 10 Dec 13:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Fucile observed by Nacional Montevideo
- 10 Dec 13:15 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Parma, Saponara from Ac Milan in January
- 10 Dec 13:01 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka out 6 months
- 10 Dec 12:45 ITALY/ JUVE, Ready the offer for Nainggolan
- 10 Dec 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Eto'o not ready to Toronto move
- 10 Dec 12:16 SPAIN/ BARCEONA, Contacts with Gundogan and Reus agents
- 10 Dec 12:04 FRANCE/ MONACO, Arrives contacts with City for Kompany
- 10 Dec 11:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Sporting Lisbona: arrives Enoh Lewis
- 10 Dec 11:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu ready for Barça
- 10 Dec 11:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "It never enters my head to leave"
- 10 Dec 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger prepares £10 millions move for Coleman
- 10 Dec 10:45 AC MILAN & MANCHESTER CITY, Eyes on Luuk de Jong
- 10 Dec 10:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Assaidi soon to join Liverpool back
- 10 Dec 10:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Arsenal and Liverpool challenged on Pedro
- 10 Dec 10:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Ranocchia on target
- 10 Dec 09:45 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Suggestion for Molinaro
- 10 Dec 09:38 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UTD, Finally make a move for Sneijder
- 10 Dec 09:30 NAPOLI v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Walcott might make it for the starting eleven
- 10 Dec 09:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Perin is the main name on tabs
- 10 Dec 09:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to Dortmund and Chelsea for Matic
- 10 Dec 08:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Move for Draxler upcoming
- 10 Dec 08:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, One more suitor for Peluso
- 10 Dec 08:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cannavaro more and more likely to leave
- 10 Dec 08:00 ARSENAL, Jenkinson: "Not keeping clean sheets against Everton was disappointing"
- 10 Dec 07:40 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Leo extends with Santos
- 10 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka seriously injured
- 10 Dec 06:57 MONACO, Ranieri: "Di Maria won't join"
- 10 Dec 06:39 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Robben will end his career here"
- 10 Dec 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am not asking for new players"
- 10 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I am happy here"
- 10 Dec 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 09 Dec 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Rebic will be loaned
- 09 Dec 23:17 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Attempt for Kerzhakov
- 09 Dec 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner likely to extend
- 09 Dec 22:39 BULGARIA/ SLAVIA, Also Juventus after Velkov
- 09 Dec 22:20 ITALY/ INTER, Agazzi unlikely to join
- 09 Dec 22:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Højbjerg intended to leave
Napoli coach Rafa Benitez believes his team will need to be at their very best if they are to beat Arsenal in Wednesday's Champions League match at the San Paolo stadium.
Both teams go into the final Group F match in Naples looking to progress to the knockout...
Massimiliano Allegri spoke exclusively to the Milan Channel regarding tomorrow evening’s match against Ajax at the San Siro:...
Barcelona central defender Marc Bartra has gone on record as saying that he feels that he is an important member of his team, even if he has...
Martin Demichelis firmly believes Manchester City can become a European force under Manuel Pellegrini.
Pellegrini took charge in the summer...
Bayern Munich executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about 29 year old winger Arjan Robben: "We are happy to have a player like him...
Laurent Blanc, coach of PSG, has spoken about the next Champions League clash against Benfica.
"We want to maintain our high...