REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 05 Mar 06:15 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I wouldn't mind moving to the US"
- 04 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will stay at least until 2017"
- 03 Mar 15:09 SPAIN, Villa: "Whenever you confront Italy, although is said to be friendly, it never is"
- 03 Mar 05:59 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Three Italian clubs after him, but.."
- 02 Mar 06:29 LEVANTE, Caparros turns out transfer rumours
- 01 Mar 06:19 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? I'm focused on my club"
- 28 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "We are all with Martino"
- 27 Feb 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "That was the perfect game Madrid's 'perfect game'"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I'm not thinking about another club"
- 26 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "City and Real? I'm focused on my club"
- 25 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Muniain: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Deulofeu will be important for this club"
- 23 Feb 09:59 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I am happy here, but.."
- 22 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I want to end my career here"
- 21 Feb 06:19 MALAGA, El Hamdaoui: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 20 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Diego Costa will remain for a long time"
- 19 Feb 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Ac Milan? There is no favourite tonight"
- 19 Feb 10:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "City can cause you problems at any moment"
- 18 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Feb 11:50 ATLETICO MADRID, Suarez: "Milan have a great tradition in this competition"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois's father: "I will talk with Atletico in one month"
- 15 Feb 07:27 OM, Anigo: "Valbuena could leave"
- 14 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I imagine myself at Inter"
- 13 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is not for sale"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Farinos announces his retirement
- 11 Feb 19:30 BARCELONA, Barca chief coy on Messi deal
- 11 Feb 18:16 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I owe nearly everything to Wenger"
- 11 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco unhappy? His moment will come"
- 10 Feb 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Martino: "Rakitic has got potential and qualities for playing for Barça
- 08 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Herrera: "None of us wants to leave"
- 07 Feb 12:15 REAL MADRID, Referee who sent off Ronaldo at Bilbao is suspended for a month
- 07 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Not fascinated by the Serie A"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "The great clubs know that I won't move"
- 05 Feb 06:00 REAL, CR7's agent: "He will end his career in Madrid"
- 04 Feb 06:00 MALAGA, Iakovenko: "The Liga is better than the Serie A"
- 01 Feb 09:29 ATLETICO, Diego: "Happy to be here"
- 31 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I am not leaving"
- 30 Jan 07:00 BETIS, Adan: "Happy to be here"
- 29 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Back to Chelsea, only if.."
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Vargas: "Happy to be here"
- 26 Jan 06:29 BARCELONA, Messi's father: "Don't know anything about PSG"
- 25 Jan 06:00 BETIS, Vadillo's agent: "Some Italian clubs after him"
- 23 Jan 18:30 BARCELONA, Puyol injury confirmed as bruising
- 23 Jan 16:44 BARCELONA, To announce EGM - Rosell set to resign
- 23 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno's agent: "Napoli's first offer has been refused"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "26 millions for Courtois? He is worth them"
- 21 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I am happy here"
- 08 Mar 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Trippier
- 07 Mar 20:45 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 20:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jimenez is Instituto new coach
- 07 Mar 20:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Aly Cissokho will not stay
- 07 Mar 20:05 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, United's scout observing Bernat
- 07 Mar 19:46 FRANCE/ LORIENT, Working for Gourcuff renewal
- 07 Mar 19:30 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Thinking about Diego Lopez
- 07 Mar 19:16 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Luque
- 07 Mar 19:01 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eriksen stay does not depend on Champions
- 07 Mar 18:45 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Thinking about Menez
- 07 Mar 18:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Contacts with Silva of Estoril
- 07 Mar 18:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 6 names for the back line of the future
- 07 Mar 18:01 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Barcelona thinking about Hummels
- 07 Mar 17:44 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Lopez oberved by two English clubs
- 07 Mar 17:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Richards and Lescott ready to leave
- 07 Mar 17:14 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Ready the deal extension of Gaitan
- 07 Mar 17:05 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Tevez: "The Italian league is definitely the most difficult and tactical"
- 07 Mar 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Blackburn Rovers: arrives Keane from United
- 07 Mar 16:31 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, For the bench also Laudrup name
- 07 Mar 16:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht Frankfurt: Meier sign
- 07 Mar 15:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Ricardo Costa out one month
- 07 Mar 15:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suarez wary of Mario Balotelli threat for Italy
- 07 Mar 15:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Kakà, Pazzini or Balotelli will score sooner or later"
- 07 Mar 15:15 FRANCE/ MARSEILLE, Pro deal for Lopez
- 07 Mar 15:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, 5 purchases in the summer
- 07 Mar 14:45 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Nasri set for extension talks
- 07 Mar 14:30 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Santos: Cardoso extends
- 07 Mar 14:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger does not blame Agger over Wilshere's injury
- 07 Mar 13:52 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Agger defends Wilshere tackle
- 07 Mar 13:44 ENGLAND/ LVIERPOOL, Arsenal fume over Agger's tackle on Jack Wilshere
- 07 Mar 13:29 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Monaco interested in van Persie
- 07 Mar 13:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester UTD: Johnstone pens new deal
- 07 Mar 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Ready the offer for Luke Shaw
- 07 Mar 12:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Freeman joins Sheffield United
- 07 Mar 12:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Adebayor
- 07 Mar 12:15 MEXICO/ MONTERREY, Idea Bielsa for the bench
- 07 Mar 12:00 URUGUAY/ PEÑAROL, Two Serie A giants keen on Kevin Méndez
- 07 Mar 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Diego Lopez
- 07 Mar 11:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Suggestion for Yuya Osako
- 07 Mar 11:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Salih Ucan's agent: "AS Roma would be good for him"
- 07 Mar 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Breaking in on Arda Turan
- 07 Mar 10:45 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on Rosseti
- 07 Mar 10:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Eyes on D'Alessandro
- 07 Mar 10:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Duel to AC Milan for Perin
- 07 Mar 10:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Survey on Cancelo
- 07 Mar 09:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Still aiming to Dani Parejo
- 07 Mar 09:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Hard duel to Arsenal and United for Ginter
- 07 Mar 09:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, One more Italian titan back for Dzeko
- 07 Mar 09:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Willing to sign Berardi
- 07 Mar 08:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Challenge against Red Devils for Bernat
Currently on a deal with Burnley until June 2015 and already tracked by Newcastle, former English Under-21 international right backwing Kieran Trippier (23) is being surveyed by Arsenal management. The player was a member of Manchester City youth squad.
This is what coach Clarence Seedorf had to say exclusively to the Milan Channel ahead of Udinese-Milan tomorrow:
"It was emotional to...
Barcelona defender Marc Bartra has declared: "There has been just one Puyol, and there will be only one. I will miss him a lot, from both a...
Fiorentina left back Marcos Alonso, actually on loan at Sunderland, has declared: "I’m very happy here at the moment, with the...
Interviewed by SPORT1, Wolfsburg Sports Director Klaus Allofs has declared about his club's interest for Hertha Berlin 22 year old forward...
Interviewed by France Bleu 107,1, PSG winger Jeremy Menez has declared: "Leaving during the Winter transfer window was not the ideal...