REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Apr 11:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 23 Apr 11:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Husillos: "We want to keep Iakovenko"
- 22 Apr 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID,Juanfran: "We can win the double"
- 22 Apr 06:00 ATHLETIC, Valverde: "A future at Barça? I have a contract"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 19 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Romeu: "My future? It's up to Chelsea"
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 17 Apr 08:21 BARCELONA, Bartra: "This defeat saddens us because we fought until the end"
- 17 Apr 08:12 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Madrid hurt us on counterattack"
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 15 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I don't think I will stay"
- 14 Apr 09:45 BARCELONA FC, Zubizarreta: "Messi's renewal? Things are going quite well"
- 11 Apr 19:45 BARCELONA, Bartra out of Granada squad
- 11 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I don't want to leave"
- 10 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We did well and deserved the 3-1 victory"
- 10 Apr 14:45 REAL MADRID, CR7 injured
- 10 Apr 12:17 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I do not know if Atletico deserved this win"
- 10 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Rafinha: "I am not in talks with Barça"
- 09 Apr 06:00 RAYO, Longo's agent: "He is happy in Spain"
- 08 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois elusive about his future
- 07 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Zubizarreta has no fault"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I am not resigning"
- 05 Apr 06:00 GRANADA, Pina: "No agreement with Real for Siqueira"
- 04 Apr 06:00 BETIS, Reyes: "I would stay even in the Second division"
- 03 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "My future? I live day by day"
- 02 Apr 08:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti prepares Madrid for Dortmund reprise
- 02 Apr 08:34 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "This was probably the biggest match I've played at the Camp Nou"
- 02 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "He won't leave"
- 01 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "I want to continue here"
- 31 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Real? I'll stay here or move to Chelsea"
- 30 Mar 06:59 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Many clubs after Diego Costa"
- 29 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi won't leave, as well as Martino"
- 28 Mar 06:00 GETAFE, Sarabia: "Honored of United's interest, but.."
- 27 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Griezmann: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 Mar 06:00 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "The one in Brazil would be my last World Cup"
- 23 Mar 06:29 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Don't know much about my future"
- 22 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes: "Martino will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, D. Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 20 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "I hope to be back for the CL final"
- 19 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo will end his career here"
- 18 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I also dream to train the Italian NT"
- 17 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Here forever? I don't know"
- 16 Mar 06:29 CELTA, Mouriño: "We would like to keep Rafinha"
- 15 Mar 06:29 BETIS, Didac Vila's agent: "His future? Soon we'll see.."
- 14 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I could remain forever"
- 24 Apr 12:16 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Cristiano made an effort to play"
- 24 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "The tie is still open. There are 90 hard minutes still to play in Munich"
- 24 Apr 11:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 11:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "I expected a little bit more from Madrid"
- 24 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Close in on PSG star Cavani
- 24 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, A Premier League suitor for Cleverley
- 24 Apr 10:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Galvez about to be announced
- 24 Apr 10:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Transfer market reopens: working on Vidal
- 24 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Suggestion for Paulinho
- 24 Apr 10:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Luke Shaw set to join
- 24 Apr 09:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Calum Chambers more and more likely to join
- 24 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese keen on Gino Peruzzi
- 24 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, Dreaming of bringing Destro back
- 24 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Victor Moses announces coming back from Liverpool
- 24 Apr 08:45 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL SALZBURG, Amartey about to join
- 24 Apr 08:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Approaching Mustafi
- 24 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back on Antonelli
- 24 Apr 08:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Furth sign Cinar
- 24 Apr 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Two players leave Vaduz
- 24 Apr 07:17 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Papadopoulos injured
- 24 Apr 06:57 OM, Thauvin: "I am happy here"
- 24 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 24 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 24 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Marchetti: "My future? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Zenit after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 23:17 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Lead for Gourcuff
- 23 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Shaqiri unlikely to join
- 23 Apr 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Still keen on Verratti
- 23 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Agazzi might be the key for signing Perin
- 23 Apr 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma make steps forward towards Vertonghen
- 23 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Several clubs after him, but he's happy in Rome"
- 23 Apr 20:59 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Approaching Karaman
- 23 Apr 20:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bierofka quits and becomes Munich 1860 youth trainer
- 23 Apr 20:20 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, 2 Spanish Liga suitors for Carbonero
- 23 Apr 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Diouf offered by 2 Serie A clubs
- 23 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Bastos to Hannover?
- 23 Apr 19:30 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S OLD BOYS, Trezeguet's agent: "He dreams to end his own career in Italy"
- 23 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 19:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Agreement with Baumann
- 23 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Vrsaljko
- 23 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to renew
- 23 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly likely to join
- 23 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Sprint for Kim
- 23 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for M'Bia
- 23 Apr 17:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Hertha after Contento
- 23 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, English duo after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 17:00 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Servette, Cantaluppi stays until the end of season
- 23 Apr 16:46 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare tracking Ajeti of Basilea
Emerging weary but happy after their UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg efforts in beating holders FC Bayern München 1-0, Sergio Ramos told UEFA.com things were looking promising for the nine-time champions as they seek to reach a first final since 2002 next...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti has declared: "Certain medias said that I wanted to leave in January, and I...
Karim Benzema told UEFA.com that although a big test awaits in Munich next Tuesday, Real Madrid CF's chances of reaching the UEFA Champions...
Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo has declared: "When you think Arsenal, you think Thierry Henry and I grew up watching him and he made me dream....
FC Bayern München attacker Arjen Robben believes his side still have plenty to say in their UEFA Champions League semi-final with Real...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....