REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 17 Apr 08:21 BARCELONA, Bartra: "This defeat saddens us because we fought until the end"
- 17 Apr 08:12 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Madrid hurt us on counterattack"
- 16 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Torres would like to come back here"
- 15 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "I don't think I will stay"
- 14 Apr 09:45 BARCELONA FC, Zubizarreta: "Messi's renewal? Things are going quite well"
- 11 Apr 19:45 BARCELONA, Bartra out of Granada squad
- 11 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I don't want to leave"
- 10 Apr 17:15 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "We did well and deserved the 3-1 victory"
- 10 Apr 14:45 REAL MADRID, CR7 injured
- 10 Apr 12:17 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I do not know if Atletico deserved this win"
- 10 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Rafinha: "I am not in talks with Barça"
- 09 Apr 06:00 RAYO, Longo's agent: "He is happy in Spain"
- 08 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois elusive about his future
- 07 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Zubizarreta has no fault"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I am not resigning"
- 05 Apr 06:00 GRANADA, Pina: "No agreement with Real for Siqueira"
- 04 Apr 06:00 BETIS, Reyes: "I would stay even in the Second division"
- 03 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "My future? I live day by day"
- 02 Apr 08:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti prepares Madrid for Dortmund reprise
- 02 Apr 08:34 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "This was probably the biggest match I've played at the Camp Nou"
- 02 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "He won't leave"
- 01 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "I want to continue here"
- 31 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Real? I'll stay here or move to Chelsea"
- 30 Mar 06:59 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Many clubs after Diego Costa"
- 29 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi won't leave, as well as Martino"
- 28 Mar 06:00 GETAFE, Sarabia: "Honored of United's interest, but.."
- 27 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Griezmann: "No contacts with PSG"
- 25 Mar 06:00 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 24 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "The one in Brazil would be my last World Cup"
- 23 Mar 06:29 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Don't know much about my future"
- 22 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes: "Martino will stay"
- 21 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, D. Lopez: "I want to stay"
- 20 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "I hope to be back for the CL final"
- 19 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo will end his career here"
- 18 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I also dream to train the Italian NT"
- 17 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Here forever? I don't know"
- 16 Mar 06:29 CELTA, Mouriño: "We would like to keep Rafinha"
- 15 Mar 06:29 BETIS, Didac Vila's agent: "His future? Soon we'll see.."
- 14 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I could remain forever"
- 13 Mar 10:08 BARCELONA, Messi: "We're back to our best "
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Pogba? Why not?!"
- 12 Mar 12:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa: "I'm doing well in the Champions League and I'm scoring a lot "
- 12 Mar 06:15 ATLETICO, Villaverde: "Many suitors for Diego Costa"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 18 Apr 11:30 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Insisting on Olic
- 18 Apr 11:15 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Cambiasso
- 18 Apr 11:07 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Marco Van Basten is the new AZ Alkmaar
- 18 Apr 11:00 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Van Dijk: "I don't want to move"
- 18 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan and Juventus for Tonny Vilhena
- 18 Apr 10:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Aluko
- 18 Apr 10:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, From Germany: 36 million euros needed for Laporte
- 18 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN: Seedorf set to be fired, Inzaghi on the lead position
- 18 Apr 09:45 FRANCE/ O.M., 3 Premier League clubs keen on Romao
- 18 Apr 09:30 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Frey calls Fiorentina back
- 18 Apr 09:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, From Italy: Allegri will be the new Spurs manager
- 18 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, English youngster Kinsella about to sign his first pro contract
- 18 Apr 08:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Martins will leave Maritimo after the season ends
- 18 Apr 08:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, America MG sign Thiago Santos
- 18 Apr 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brown remains at Carlisle
- 18 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Season over for Alba
- 18 Apr 06:57 LILLE, Kjaer: "Honored by United's interest"
- 18 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Olic could renew for two years"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 18 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "I want to stay"
- 17 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ VERONA, Mission for Mangia
- 17 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht B. sign Gikiewicz
- 17 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Update on Seedorf
- 17 Apr 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Howard renews with Everton
- 17 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ INTER, Duel with Atletico for Hernandez
- 17 Apr 22:00 BELGIUM/ CHARLEROI, Salamone on trial
- 17 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ VERONA, New contract for Toni ready
- 17 Apr 21:17 FRANCE/ OL, Chantome to replace Gonalons
- 17 Apr 20:59 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Also Monaco after Baselli
- 17 Apr 20:39 BRAZIL/ FLUMINENSE, Timbò likely to join
- 17 Apr 20:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Lucas Rodriguez
- 17 Apr 20:00 GREECE/ APOLLON, Also Chievo after Petropoulos
- 17 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Three clubs after Benalouane
- 17 Apr 19:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Martins will quit Maritimo
- 17 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gilardino?
- 17 Apr 19:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Three Italian clubs after Colazo
- 17 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Khazri about to join
- 17 Apr 18:30 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Also Stuttgart after Klein
- 17 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sprint for Elkeson
- 17 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Two English clubs after Stambouli
- 17 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Borussia after Cuadrado
- 17 Apr 17:30 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, In the summer Pavlovic will leave
- 17 Apr 17:13 ITALY/ INTER, Nothing to do for Sagna: he'll sign a 3-year deal with Arsenal
- 17 Apr 17:00 FRANCE/ PDG, Touré the alternative to Pogba
- 17 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "Signing my first contract for the club was an emotional moment "
- 17 Apr 16:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Interest for Baselli confirmed
- 17 Apr 16:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement with Lulic
- 17 Apr 16:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Derdiyok won't stay
- 17 Apr 15:45 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Also Galatasaray after Kavlak
While Wolfsburg management offered him a new contract lasting until June 2016, Croatian international striker Ivica Olic (34), who'll leave as a free agent if refusing, is still a main target for Stoke City, whose strategist, Mark Hughes, is determined to sign him....
Inter Milan defender Andrea Ranocchia has declared: "My new contract? At the right moment you will know everything, my will is to remain at...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Capable to score a double against West Ham, Lukas Podolski is one of the subjects mentioned by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger during his...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Lille defender Simon Kjaer has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's an honor to hear about such a great club, but I...