REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayà will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayà's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 20 Feb 03:03 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "Ronaldo wrong to host party after derby debacle"
- 18 Feb 06:00 ESPANYOL, Sergio Garcia's agent: "He has refused an offer from China"
- 17 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Gayà going nowhere"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Miranda: "I am happy here"
- 14 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "No contacts for my new contract"
- 13 Feb 20:39 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Rosell to answer for Neymar transfer"
- 13 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? Don't want to talk about it"
- 12 Feb 10:14 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I never doubted about the club"
- 11 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am not thinking about Real"
- 10 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Griezmann: "I could have joined Barcelona"
- 09 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Many clubs were after Saul"
- 07 Feb 06:29 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "The new contract? I am waiting"
- 06 Feb 17:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I never felt relevant at AC Milan"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I am happy here"
- 05 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I hope to stay"
- 04 Feb 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Happy of our transfer market campaign"
- 03 Feb 11:36 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "We have a chance in all three competitions"
- 30 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's son: "One day he will move to Italy"
- 29 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Gayà's new deal"
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 ATHLETIC, Laporte: "I'm not thinking about moving to England"
- 26 Jan 16:30 BARCELONA, Neymar: "Ronaldo should be punished"
- 26 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "Illarramendi is a Real player"
- 24 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ramos is important for us"
- 23 Jan 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo's agent: "He could end his career in Madrid"
- 22 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Suarez won't leave"
- 21 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Never to Real"
- 20 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira's agent: "The club wants to keep him"
- 19 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Rodríguez: "Looking forward to join Parma"
- 18 Jan 06:30 RAYO, Jemez: "Training the national team would be an honor"
- 17 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "He still wants to leave"
- 16 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We are not after Januzaj"
- 15 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We all want Messi to stay"
- 14 Jan 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We're trying to reinforce our offensive line"
- 13 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Suarez won't leave"
- 12 Jan 17:23 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was fantastic for Madrid in 2014"
- 12 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I have no intention to leave"
- 11 Jan 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "As long as the team will follow me, I'll stay"
- 10 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We need no new players"
- 09 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "A new contract? If the club wants to.."
- 08 Jan 13:16 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Ronaldo was a bit tired"
- 08 Jan 09:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "Atletico played the long ball and used dirty tricks"
- 08 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, ter Stegen: "I want to succeed here"
- 07 Jan 15:54 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Messi? Things that go on in the dressing room stay there"
- 07 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No offers for Oliver Torres"
- 05 Jan 20:34 BARCELONA, Messi misses training with stomach illness
- 05 Jan 19:30 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "There is a lot left to play for in the league"
- 05 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I could move back to France"
- 04 Jan 07:29 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "The contract expiring is really not my problem"
- 03 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "My future is here"
- 01 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I want to end my career at River, but.."
- 31 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Bale won't leave"
- 30 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "The new contract? No problem"
- 29 Dec 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "A couple of players could join"
- 28 Dec 06:30 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "He will end his career here"
- 25 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar's agent: "Ready to sign the new contract"
- 24 Dec 06:29 ATLETICO, Burgos: "Torres back? It would be great"
- 23 Dec 06:00 VALENCIA, Javi Fuego: "I have no intention to leave"
- 27 Mar 12:42 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners target "New Villa"
- 27 Mar 12:22 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners keen on Cech
- 27 Mar 12:13 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Interest in Reus
- 27 Mar 12:04 BRAZIL, Neymar: "France victory not revenge"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 11:44 ITALY/ ROMA, Strootman will not leave
- 27 Mar 11:29 ITALY/ INTER, 30 mlns from Liverpool for Kovacic, Yaya Toure to replace him
- 27 Mar 11:23 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Niang keen on Genoa Stay
- 27 Mar 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD. £100m for this summer
- 27 Mar 10:44 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Also West Ham interested in Hernandez
- 27 Mar 10:20 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Duel to Napoli and Palermo on Bueno
- 27 Mar 09:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Dani Alves's agent speaking with PSG
- 27 Mar 09:27 ITALY/ TORINO, Mesto on target
- 27 Mar 08:59 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, Trying to renew Kokorin's deal
- 27 Mar 08:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Price for Alaba set
- 27 Mar 08:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Also OM after Peres
- 27 Mar 07:40 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Agreement with Diop
- 27 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, No surgery for Keita
- 27 Mar 06:57 PSG, Marquinhos: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 27 Mar 06:39 SCHALKE 04, Di Matteo: "It will be difficult to bring Khedira here"
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 27 Mar 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Soriano: "Honored by Borussia interest"
- 26 Mar 23:37 SPAIN/ RAYO, Baena wants to renew
- 26 Mar 23:17 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER, Interest for Okazaki
- 26 Mar 22:59 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Go Ahead fire Booy
- 26 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ INTER, Eyes on de Sart
- 26 Mar 22:20 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Milinkovic is Partizan new coach
- 26 Mar 22:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back for Lukaku
- 26 Mar 21:37 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Hacken sign Lugano
- 26 Mar 21:17 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Dragovic
- 26 Mar 20:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Terry renews with Chelsea
- 26 Mar 20:39 URUGUAY/ DANUBIO, Three Italian clubs after Barreto
- 26 Mar 20:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marquinhos renews with PSG
- 26 Mar 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Plan for Maksimovic
- 26 Mar 19:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Eyes on De Bruyne
- 26 Mar 19:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Idea Sirigu
- 26 Mar 19:15 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, Spalletti the next coach?
- 26 Mar 19:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ac Milan and Destro ransom
- 26 Mar 18:51 SPAIN, Sergio Ramos about Morata: "He could still improve"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 18:33 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Strongly denied reports about Ancelotti
- 26 Mar 18:24 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Ready 108 milion euros for CR7
- 26 Mar 18:13 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ljajic and Pjanic future depends on Champions League
- 26 Mar 18:04 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Inler: "I've never even considered transferring"
- 26 Mar 17:56 ITALY/ INTER, Also Valencia interested in Toulalan
- 26 Mar 17:47 ITALY/ JUVE, Vidal: "One I'd like to come back to Colo Colo"
- 26 Mar 17:38 ITALY/ JUVE, Storari: "Renewal? I don't think there will be problems"
- 26 Mar 17:30 ITALY/ MILAN, Destro could leave: Immobile for replace him
- 26 Mar 17:21 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Eye on Green if Cech will leave
According to Portuguese publication O Jogo, Arsenal are interested in signing Sporting Gijon frontman Carlos Castro, aka the 'new David Villa'.
In fact, it is even believed the north Londoners have begun discussions with the 19-year-old about joining the Premier League
Interviewed by transfermarkt.de, Sampdoria midfielder Roberto Soriano has declared: "The transfer market? It's my agent who takes care of the
Interviewed by Estadio Deportivo, Galatasaray winger Nordin Amrabat, currently on loan at Malaga, has declared: "Some Spanish and English clubs a
Daniel Sturridge could be out of action for a month after Roy Hodgson revealed the Liverpool striker had suffered a ‘slight muscle tear’.
After renewing his deal with PSG, 20-year-old defender Marquinhos has declared: "This is an important target for me. A great news item. Life is b
Bayern Munich Director of Football Matthias Sammer has declared: "Saying that selling Dante is part of out plans is a stupidity; it's difficu