REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 03 Aug 09:29 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "Enzo Perez wants to join us"
- 02 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We will do something else one the market"
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 31 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Barbosa: "I didn't come to be a backup"
- 30 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "Happy that Xavi will stay"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Griezmann could help our team"
- 27 Jul 06:30 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 26 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "It will be difficult to replace Mathieu"
- 25 Jul 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Torres has a home here"
- 24 Jul 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 23 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 08:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 08:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 08:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 08:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 08:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 08:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 08:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 16:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 08:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 08:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 08:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 08:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 08:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 08:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 08:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 08:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 11 Jun 00:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 08:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 08:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 08:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 01 Oct 08:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Vazquez likely to join
- 01 Oct 07:40 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Back for Cigarini
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 01 Oct 06:57 PSG, Blanc: "Disturbed by certain rumors"
- 01 Oct 06:39 BORUSSIA D., Hummels: "I am not tempted by United"
- 01 Oct 06:19 MAN. CITY, Hart: "Italy? I am happy here"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 01 Oct 00:00 SAMPDORIA, Gabbiadini's agent: "Too early to talk about the future"
- 30 Sep 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Atletico
- 30 Sep 23:17 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Trying to kill Rodriguez
- 30 Sep 22:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Abidal would like to come back
- 30 Sep 22:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, In talks for Bernardeschi's new deal
- 30 Sep 22:20 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Update on Alcacer
- 30 Sep 22:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Ayew ready
- 30 Sep 21:37 SPAIN/ REAL, New contract for Khedira ready
- 30 Sep 21:17 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Eyes on Singh
- 30 Sep 20:59 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Sanchez renews
- 30 Sep 20:39 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Poulsen back to Copenhagen
- 30 Sep 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Capilla renews with Real Sociedad
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 19:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Unexpected suggestion for Mutu's return
- 30 Sep 19:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bacca signs new contract with FC Seville
- 30 Sep 18:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger announces Giroud's renewal
- 30 Sep 18:39 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Gabbiadini
- 30 Sep 18:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, All-in for Jackson Martinez if Higuain leaves
- 30 Sep 17:37 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Franco Foda joins back Sturm Graz as a manager
- 30 Sep 17:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City, Sagbo yielded on loan
- 30 Sep 16:58 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Hit by Herrera injury
- 30 Sep 16:24 AC MILAN, Zapata: "I have a big desire to do well this year "
- 30 Sep 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Walcott is joining in full training next week
- 30 Sep 15:29 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Keen on Timm Klose
- 30 Sep 14:59 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Possible winter attempt for Cavanda
- 30 Sep 14:27 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Weighing up Babacar's renewal chances
- 30 Sep 13:57 BRAZIL/ CORINTHIANS, Guerrero unlikely to renew
- 30 Sep 13:32 JUVENTUS, Morata:"Madrid didn't believe in me"
- 30 Sep 13:16 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz: "Barça observed me, but Psg paid for me"
- 30 Sep 12:59 ENGLAND, Hogdson: "60 mlns for David Luiz? It's crazy"
- 30 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I will only leave if they sack me"
- 30 Sep 12:14 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Renewal close for Florenzi
- 30 Sep 11:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, agreement close for Giroud renewal
- 30 Sep 11:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA: Dawson extends
- 30 Sep 11:13 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Fernandinho: "Is necessary to defeat As Roma"
- 30 Sep 10:49 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Di Maria: "A dream for me to come to Europe"
- 30 Sep 10:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Mignolet: "Valdes? I feel different kinds of pressure"
- 30 Sep 10:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Chelsea are leading race for Barkley
- 30 Sep 09:22 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace loan Williams out again to Ipswich Town
- 30 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, The plan for Reus
- 30 Sep 08:15 FRANCE/ PSG, Keen on Martial
- 30 Sep 08:00 BRAZIL/ CORINTHIANS, Herrera likely to join
- 30 Sep 07:40 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Two Spanish clubs after Soriano
Good news for Arsenal, revealed by Arsène Wenger: "Jack Wilshere is in the squad for tomorrow. Will I start him against Galatasaray? I don’t know yet, but he’s in the squad.
I left Abou Diaby out as well because he’s not completely there yet. We los
Interviewed by TMW, Silvio Pagliari, agent of Sampdoria forward Manolo Gabbiadini, has declared: "I know that Atletico Madrid's Sports Direct
Interviewed by RMC, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi at PSG? I have talked to him, he is happy with us. We would be
Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart has declared: "I respect the choices made by some players, I am especially talking about Micah Richards, who
Interviewed by Mediaset Premium, PSG coach Laurent Blanc has declared: "The rumors about Mancini? They have bothered me, but people say wrong thi
Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels has declared: "It's always nice to hear that the great clubs are after you, but it doesn't change