REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 21 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We haven't talked about Higuain"
- 20 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery is happy here"
- 19 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "It's not the moment to talk about Ancelotti's future"
- 18 May 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "Martínez won't join Liverpool"
- 17 May 09:00 RAYO, Jemez: "I don't think I'll stay"
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "Some important players could leave"
- 15 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "He will be the one deciding his future"
- 14 May 09:30 REAL MADRID, Bale promises Madrid will 'come back stronger'
- 14 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I'm happy here, but.."
- 13 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Gayŕ: "I hope to stay for many years"
- 12 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "It's nonsense to talk about my future"
- 11 May 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't know anything about Porto"
- 10 May 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I'm not going anywhere"
- 09 May 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No agreement with Atletico"
- 08 May 13:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes possibly departing after just one season 2 Premier League suitors
- 08 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "Why should he leave?"
- 07 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 06 May 13:24 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, First convocation for Vermaelen
- 06 May 12:36 REAL MADRID, James: "Madrid have to go out and kill Juventus in second leg"
- 06 May 12:12 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu"
- 06 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Saul: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "A pity that I never played for Athletic"
- 04 May 10:00 LEVANTE, Alcaraz: "I don't care about my own future, I'm just focused on not getting relegated"
- 04 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "I hope Dani Alves will stay"
- 03 May 09:30 SEVILLA, Vitolo: "Happy to stay"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 30 Apr 06:19 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I think that sometimes Guardiola has thought about me"
- 29 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I hope to end my career here"
- 28 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 14 Apr 19:16 SPAIN, Puyol: "To play or to coach? I do not rule out any option"
- 14 Apr 18:48 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Atletico are undisputed favourites - not Real"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are in talks for Alves' new deal"
- 10 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 09 Apr 12:24 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique about Xavi: "I want him to stay and help us"
- 09 Apr 06:20 VALENCIA, André Gomes: "Chelsea? I am happy here"
- 07 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Miranda: "I am staying here"
- 06 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Xavi can stay, if he wants"
- 05 Apr 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We need new players"
- 04 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Would I rejoin Milan? Of course"
- 03 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, unconcerned by Messi injury
- 02 Apr 14:44 REAL MADRID, Roberto Carlos: "Danilo will succeed in getting under the spotlight"
- 02 Apr 13:31 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "It would be a dream come true to play alongside Messi"
- 31 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "I want to stay"
- 30 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves: "Proud to be in this club, but.."
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 28 Mar 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am happy here"
- 27 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Amrabat's agent: "My future? In the Summer we'll see"
- 26 Mar 18:42 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "Iniesta the boyfriend every mother wants"
- 26 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "I need a new challenge"
- 25 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Suarez: "I could have left in January"
- 24 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 23 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Vilalverde: "Arda Turan will remain with us"
- 22 Mar 10:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "New York or Qatar? There are also other options"
- 20 Mar 17:45 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Messi belongs to a league of his own"
- 19 Mar 06:00 ESPANYOL, Vazquez: "Joining Liverpool? I have no idea"
- 18 Mar 19:00 REAL MADRID, Stoichkov: "Sooner or later, Cristiano will be sold by his president"
- 18 Mar 16:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres about AC Milan: "A group that needs patience"
- 18 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone's agent: "Soon good news about his new deal"
- 17 Mar 19:31 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "Messi will make City suffer"
- 17 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Piatti: "I am happy here"
- 16 Mar 15:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves respect"
- 15 Mar 10:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I will stay until 2016"
- 14 Mar 06:30 BARCELONA, Luis Suarez: "I am happy here"
- 13 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ancelotti will stay"
- 12 Mar 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Gayŕ will stay"
- 11 Mar 11:44 REAL MADRID, Frustrated Ronaldo snubs media
- 11 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "We are with Ancelotti"
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My future? At the end of the season, I'll decide"
- 09 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "All the great clubs are after him"
- 08 Mar 09:30 RAYO, Jémez: "I didn't say that I'm leaving, but..."
- 07 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO, Gimenez: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 Mar 19:45 REAL MADRID, Kroos:" I joined Madrid for Ancelotti"
- 05 Mar 06:00 MALAGA, Torres: "It was easy to accept the club's offer"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 03 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kroos: "I am very well here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 01 Mar 06:30 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to extend Gayŕ's deal"
- 28 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "No problems about Simeone's renewal"
- 27 Feb 18:44 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "I would prefer any other team than a Spanish side"
- 27 Feb 15:00 VILLARREAL, Cheryshev: "Defeating Red Bull demanded us a lot"
- 27 Feb 13:22 VILLARREAL v FC SEVILLE, Europa League Spanish derby
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 26 Feb 03:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi: "We can reverse the outcome at Calderon"
- 25 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Luis Enrique will remain for the next season too"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Busquets: "I would like to play in England one day"
- 23 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Extending my deal? We share the same targets"
- 22 Feb 06:30 ELCHE, Jonathas: "Don't know anything about Sevilla"
- 21 Feb 03:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "We want to win it all this season"
- 22 May 10:17 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Kirchoff will leave
- 22 May 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW- ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Farias
- 22 May 09:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also Leno on the wishlist
- 22 May 09:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Keen on De Silvestri
- 22 May 09:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Hierro could be the new Sporting Director
- 22 May 08:27 LILLE, Basa: "I am not sure to stay"
- 22 May 07:57 BORUSSIA D., Zorc: "Hummels going nowhere"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 22 May 06:30 NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "He would be happy to train Real Madrid"
- 22 May 02:00 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AC MILAN, 4-fold duel for signing Alex Song
- 22 May 01:37 CROATIA/ DINAMO ZAGREB, Biskupovic more and more likely to join
- 22 May 01:17 ENGLAND/ WBA, McAuley's renewal on arrival
- 22 May 00:59 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA: Duel to AC Milan, Napoli and Fiorentina on Valdifiori
- 22 May 00:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Lead on Donsah
- 22 May 00:20 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Martial might be the key for getting Mandzukic
- 22 May 00:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: Duel to Juventus, PSG and English giants on Nainggolan
- 21 May 23:27 SPAIN, Xavi announces Barcelona exit
- 21 May 22:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D, Close on Castro
- 21 May 22:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "Real Madrid? Only rumors now"
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Ancelotti rumors annoy Barca
- 21 May 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Leno on target
- 21 May 20:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Rumors about Benitez at Bernabeu
- 21 May 20:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Cancelled tomorrow's meeting with Sterling
- 21 May 19:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW, AC MILAN, Van Ginkel's agent: "Nothing about future is decided yet"
- 21 May 19:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Close in on Lens academy products
- 21 May 19:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ibe & Flanagan sign renewal
- 21 May 18:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen: Schmidt extends
- 21 May 17:57 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, The real target is Bale
- 21 May 17:27 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL , Schalke04, Kirchhoff will not be signed from Bayern
- 21 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho wants Oxlade-Chamberlain for letting Cech join Arsenal
- 21 May 16:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Weiser and Pizarro to leave
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ INTER, Zukanovic's agent: "Chievo request is so high"
- 21 May 15:30 AC MILAN, Meeting with Ancelotti in Madrid
- 21 May 14:57 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Keen on Grujic
- 21 May 14:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Approaching Soriano
- 21 May 13:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Suggestion for Keylor Navas
- 21 May 13:29 CHILE/ U. DE CHILE, Parot likely to join
- 21 May 13:00 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Colotto about to join Mexican side Leňn
- 21 May 12:30 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Eyes on Hennings
- 21 May 11:57 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Attempt for Babacar ready
- 21 May 11:27 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino, attempt for Vangioni to blaze AC Milan and AS Roma
- 21 May 10:59 ITALY/ PALERMO, Joao Silva about to resign
- 21 May 10:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Atalanta and Palermo survey Bassi
- 21 May 10:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Interest for Campagnaro
- 21 May 09:40 UAE/ AL-AHLI, Offer for Salihovic
- 21 May 09:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Benteke farther
- 21 May 08:57 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Eyes on Sahin
- 21 May 08:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lautoa renews with Lorient
- 21 May 08:19 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Offer for Bruma ready
Set to leave West Ham after loan period expires, and then Barcelona FC on a full basis (or again temporarily, probably including a hiring purchase option), Cameroonian international half-back Alex Song (27), already tracked by AC Milan, has been also targeted by Inter, Chels
Interviewed by Quatro, Manuel García Quilón, agent of Napoli coach Rafael Benitez, jas declared: "At the moment there is nothing go
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has commented the rumors regarding the interest for Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti: "What has been re
Liverpool Chief Executive Ian Ayre has declared about 34-year-old midfielder Steven Gerrard, who is about to join the L.A. Galaxy: "People will a
Interviewed by Canal+, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared about 23-year-old forward Alexandre Lacazette: "We will do everything we can t
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund Sporting Director Michael Zorc has declared about 26-year-old center back Mats Hummels: "It was legitima