REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 30 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Mou? I only think about the present and the future"
- 29 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "In the future I could move abroad"
- 28 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ramos? We'll see"
- 27 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Pepe: "I'm sure Ramos will stay"
- 25 Jul 12:30 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "I am sure that Sergio Ramos will stay"
- 24 Jul 09:30 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "This year he will stay"
- 23 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Who wants Adriano must pay his clause"
- 22 Jul 06:29 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I would like Pedro to stay"
- 17 Jul 06:30 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Turan could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We have been after Immobile for a long time"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Piccini: "Happy to be here"
- 09 Jul 06:00 BETIS, Macia: "We are interested in Pazzini"
- 08 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "My situation is delicate"
- 07 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "This year Pogba won't join us"
- 06 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Lucas Silva: "Honored by Fiorentina's interest"
- 01 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "i have no intention to leave"
- 30 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "I am about to join Atletico"
- 26 Jun 07:27 OM, Labrune: "We want to sell Imbula"
- 26 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Bacca"
- 25 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We like Rami, but"
- 24 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 23 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Roig: "We have signed Leo Baptistao"
- 22 Jun 06:00 VILLARREAL, Marcelino: "Atletico have paid Vietto's clause"
- 21 Jun 09:30 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Contacts with Tevez, but he wants to join Boca"
- 20 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Otamendi: "The club knows what I want"
- 19 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Ochoa: "My agent is looking for a new club"
- 18 Jun 09:15 ATLETICO, Simeone: "Only Koke and Godin are unsellable"
- 17 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "Piccini will move back to Fiorentina"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Mandzukic's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 15 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Coentrao: "One day I will join Benfica.."
- 14 Jun 06:30 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Inter agreable destination"
- 13 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "We are about to sign Kakuta"
- 12 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Only God knows if I'll stay"
- 09 Jun 18:06 BARCELONA FC, Bartomeu: "We've closed the deal for Luis Enrique to remain"
- 09 Jun 06:00 BETIS, Ollero: "We are in advanced talks with van der Vaart"
- 08 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca's agente: "Many clubs after him"
- 07 Jun 09:30 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I have an offer from Italy"
- 06 Jun 08:29 SEVILLA, Emery: "Happy to stay"
- 05 Jun 16:48 Photos from Berlin about Juventus-Barcellona
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "I'm happy here"
- 04 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Darder's agent: "He wants to join Inter"
- 03 Jun 16:15 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "It is an emotional day because I've returned home"
- 03 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery has an offer from Napoli"
- 02 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery could renew"
- 01 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I would like to dip into the Premier League market"
- 31 May 08:59 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "If Atletico will pay my release clause..."
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I would like to stay"
- 29 May 01:59 BARCELONA, Mascherano:" I wouldn't trade places with Messi"
- 28 May 16:51 FC SEVILLE, Monchi about Emery future: "I don't know what he'll do"
- 28 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "My future? I am learning English"
- 27 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "If Otamendi wants to leave..."
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Mi future? In two weeks"
- 25 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, CR7, I hope Ancelotti will stay
- 24 May 06:59 ATLETICO, Torres: "I want to end my career here"
- 23 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Happy if De Gea joins us"
- 22 May 15:15 ATHLETIC BILBAO/ OFFICIAL, Manager Valverde renews
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 21 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We haven't talked about Higuain"
- 20 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Emery is happy here"
- 19 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "It's not the moment to talk about Ancelotti's future"
- 18 May 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "Martínez won't join Liverpool"
- 17 May 09:00 RAYO, Jemez: "I don't think I'll stay"
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "Some important players could leave"
- 15 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "He will be the one deciding his future"
- 14 May 09:30 REAL MADRID, Bale promises Madrid will 'come back stronger'
- 14 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I'm happy here, but.."
- 13 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Gayŕ: "I hope to stay for many years"
- 12 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "It's nonsense to talk about my future"
- 11 May 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't know anything about Porto"
- 10 May 10:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I'm not going anywhere"
- 09 May 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "No agreement with Atletico"
- 08 May 13:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes possibly departing after just one season 2 Premier League suitors
- 08 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Bale's agent: "Why should he leave?"
- 07 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 06 May 13:24 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, First convocation for Vermaelen
- 06 May 12:36 REAL MADRID, James: "Madrid have to go out and kill Juventus in second leg"
- 06 May 12:12 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "We're one step from the final and we're going to give it our all at the Bernabeu"
- 06 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Saul: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 05 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "A pity that I never played for Athletic"
- 04 May 10:00 LEVANTE, Alcaraz: "I don't care about my own future, I'm just focused on not getting relegated"
- 04 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "I hope Dani Alves will stay"
- 03 May 09:30 SEVILLA, Vitolo: "Happy to stay"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Arsenal? No, I will stay here"
- 30 Apr 06:19 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "I think that sometimes Guardiola has thought about me"
- 29 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Negredo: "I hope to end my career here"
- 28 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Hernandez: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 27 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I could have stayed at Benfica, but.."
- 26 Apr 11:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "We want to get good players here"
- 24 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will honour my contract"
- 23 Apr 14:30 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "Ancelotti deserves praise"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Illarramendi: "I want to stay"
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We are not planning to sign Pogba"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 19 Apr 11:30 ATLETICO M., Mandzukic: "I want to stay for a long time"
- 18 Apr 06:00 CELTA, Krohn-Dehli's agent: "He will leave for sure"
- 17 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "Gaya won't join Real"
- 16 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I want to end my career here"
- 02 Aug 00:00 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Gaitán about to join
- 01 Aug 23:28 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Survey on Paloschi
- 01 Aug 22:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Callejon's agent: "Nothing true about Inter, I think he'll stay put"
- 01 Aug 22:30 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Denis nmore and more as a primary target
- 01 Aug 22:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Berbatov can be signed on Monday
- 01 Aug 21:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Edu Vargas tempted by O.M. Qatari offers refused
- 01 Aug 20:57 BREAKING NEWS - FRANCE/ O.L., Rafael about to join: agreement reached
- 01 Aug 20:29 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New offer to Newcastle for Moussa Sissoko
- 01 Aug 19:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City loan Agyepong to Twente
- 01 Aug 19:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Medicals for Defrel next Monday
- 01 Aug 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City sign Hayden from Arsenal
- 01 Aug 18:27 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Süle renews for Hoffenheim
- 01 Aug 17:57 ITALY/ INTER, Longo about to be loaned out again: deal with Frosinone
- 01 Aug 17:29 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Norwich City sign Kean
- 01 Aug 16:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Gazélec Ajaccio sign Mangane
- 01 Aug 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal loan Crowley to Barnsley
- 01 Aug 16:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Birmingham sign Toral from Arsenal and loan Johnstone out
- 01 Aug 15:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sheffield Wednesday sign Lucas Joao and renews with Lees
- 01 Aug 14:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Evian sign Campanharo and Da Cruz
- 01 Aug 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Dávila again to Vitoria Setubal
- 01 Aug 12:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Etoundi
- 01 Aug 11:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Oshaniwa joins Hearts of Midlothian
- 01 Aug 10:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica loan Pelé and Romario Baldé out
- 01 Aug 09:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ntcham joins Genoa
- 01 Aug 08:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Sidibé renews with Lille
- 01 Aug 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Immobile injured
- 01 Aug 07:27 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Soon a meeting with the club"
- 01 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I haven't decided if I will extend my contract"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 01 Aug 00:00 INTER, Taider's agent: "Soon a decision about his future"
- 31 Jul 23:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Baker renews with Aston Villa
- 31 Jul 23:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New offer for Romagnoli ready
- 31 Jul 22:59 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Diers renews with Angers
- 31 Jul 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Jones renews with Everton
- 31 Jul 22:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Rodriguez
- 31 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Saint-Maximin joins Hannover
- 31 Jul 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa sign Veretout
- 31 Jul 21:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Fontas renews with Celta
- 31 Jul 20:39 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Davila joins Vitoria
- 31 Jul 20:20 URUGUAY/ OFFICIAL, Aguirregaray joins Penarol
- 31 Jul 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Roco joins Espanyol
- 31 Jul 19:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Kortrijk sign Kage
- 31 Jul 19:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Inverness sign Mbuyi-Mutombo
- 31 Jul 19:16 MONTREAL, Drogba: "I won't be a burden to Montreal Impact"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 31 Jul 18:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Next week meeting for Thiago Motta future
- 31 Jul 18:15 ITALY/ LAZIO & INTER, Duel with Tottenham for Susic
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
While Angel Di Maria is about to flee to Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal is now likely to succeed in replacing him with Argentinian international offensive midfielder and winger Nicolás Gaitán (27). An age peer of Fideo's, the
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Paolo Busardò, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Saphir Taider, has declared: "We are receiving many offers. We&
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has told Espn: "The team is what it is. It has been put together. We have the team that our coach wanted
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has declared: "About Javier Hernandez, those are rumours and nothing more. There is nothing concrete. He is
Interviewed by Sportitalia, Alessandro Canovi, agent of PSG midfielder Thiago Motta, has declared: "My client will meet his club's executives
As reported by AS, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared: "I still haven't decided if I will extend my deal or not. In any case, I h