REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 11 Feb 19:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi trains with the group
- 11 Feb 13:40 Valencia only manage draw against weakened Barca team
- 11 Feb 12:59 Barcelona, Luis Enrique: "I had to give my voice a rest"
- 11 Feb 11:21 ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "I would already do a long-life deal"
- 11 Feb 11:00 REAL MADRID - Marcelo
- 10 Feb 20:13 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin close to extend: the two Manchester clubs still keen on him
- 10 Feb 17:33 ATLETICO MADRID - Tiago's future is uncertain
- 10 Feb 17:31 Zidane: "Ronaldo is the best"
- 10 Feb 17:00 CHAMPIONS / Real Madrid: Marcelo and Bale could miss the next match against Roma
- 10 Feb 16:46 LA LIGA / Copa del Rey: Valencia expects a miracle this afternoon against Barça
- 10 Feb 16:45 LA LIGA / Atlético Madrid / Griezmann "I'm not leaving Atletico"
- 10 Feb 15:44 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone fuels Chelsea rumours taking English lessons
- 10 Feb 15:30 OFFICIAL / TRANSFER MARKET / Atlético Madrid: Oblak extends his contract
- 10 Feb 14:07 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "CR7 is the best. to manage this team is a dream"
- 10 Feb 11:34 Valencia 'must win' on Saturday says Neville
- 09 Feb 19:45 REAL MADRID - Bale, Modric, Carvajal and Marcelo skip training
- 09 Feb 19:39 OFFICIAL - Betis, Bruno Gonzalez extend until 2019
- 09 Feb 18:06 REAL MADRID, Marcelo shoulder dislocation confirmed
- 09 Feb 14:00 RANKING GOLDEN SHOE'16: Higuain, Gonçalves and Suarez occupy the podium of the Golden Shoe'16
- 09 Feb 13:06 Messi sent for tests on Kidneys
- 09 Feb 12:48 Dyche critical of Neville
- 09 Feb 11:00 LA LIGA / Barcelona: Messi to undergo minor kidney surgery
- 08 Feb 16:20 Barcelona chase club record
- 08 Feb 11:28 LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Luka wondergoal gives Real Madrid 2-1 win at Granada
- 08 Feb 10:15 Barcelona confident over Neymar
- 08 Feb 10:06 Liverpool interested in Jese
- 08 Feb 09:44 Neville's Valencia lose again
- 08 Feb 09:08 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Marcelo ends match with badly injured shoulder
- 07 Feb 12:30 Barça demands respect after harassment to Neymar
- 06 Feb 14:45 TRANSFER MARKET / LA LIGA / Real Madrid: Zidane want Hazard
- 05 Feb 11:22 Valencia - Rafa Benitez set to oust Gary Neville
- 04 Feb 22:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar sr.: "No reason to renew, he won't end his career at Barça"
- 04 Feb 17:40 ATLETICO MADRID - Cerezo: "Jackson Martinez wasn't at the top of the situation"
- 04 Feb 14:14 Canizares: 'Neville should apologise and resign'
- 04 Feb 10:43 Valencia – Gary Neville will not resign
- 03 Feb 17:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA / SEVILLA FC: If Kakuta leaves, leave an open tab to enroll Fazio in Europa League
- 03 Feb 16:31 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Market revolution
- 02 Feb 09:37 LA LIGA / REAL MADRID: Florentino need give love to Benzema
- 02 Feb 08:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Atletico negotiates signing of Brazilian Caio Henrique to his junior team
- 01 Feb 21:46 OFFICIAL - Osasuna, De Las Cuevas sign
- 01 Feb 16:51 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Verdú near close his move to Levante
- 31 Jan 22:00 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Real Madrid thrashed Espanyol to regain confidence in themselves
- 31 Jan 09:58 REAL MADRID - PSG centre-back Marquinhos targeted
- 30 Jan 18:45 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Rumours on Neymar don't bother us"
- 30 Jan 18:36 BARCELONA - Leroy Sané chooses Azulgrana, he can arrive next summer
- 30 Jan 17:48 Barcelona v Atletico 2-1: Messi and Suarez for the comeback and top spot
- 30 Jan 15:15 OFFICIAL - Asteras Tripolis and Lanzarote part company on mutual consent: he signed for Zaragoza
- 30 Jan 01:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW / SPAIN / LA LIGA: FIFA suspends the penalty to Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid
- 29 Jan 22:58 REAL BETIS- Montoya already in Sevilla to undergo medical
- 29 Jan 21:55 ATLETICO MADRID - The club decides Oliver Torres is not for sale
- 29 Jan 21:18 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We aren't scared of Barcelona"
- 29 Jan 20:46 BARCELONA - Bordas on Neymar: "He will be with us for a long time"
- 29 Jan 11:56 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi offered 23 million to move to China
- 28 Jan 13:53 Real Madrid contacted by Chelsea over Carvajal
- 27 Jan 22:00 Spain / La Liga: Atlético de Madrid 2 - Celta de Vigo 3
- 27 Jan 21:53 SPAIN / LA LIGA: Copa del Rey Barça 3 - Athletic Club de Bilbao 1
- 27 Jan 20:30 Atlético de Madrid - Celta de Vigo
- 23 Jan 08:00 BARCELONA FC, Neymar's father: "My son is not interested in joining Real Madrid"
- 06 Jan 12:11 REAL MADRID, Zidane promises 'beautiful football' at Merengues
- 05 Jan 09:30 REAL MADRID/ OFFICIAL, Zinedine Zidane is the new first squad manager
- 04 Jan 17:00 BARCELONA FC, Former teammate Alcantara: "Messi, Suarez and Neymar all deserve Ballon d'Or"
- 31 Dec 01:16 SEVILLA, Llorente wanted Juventus stay
- 28 Dec 17:27 REAL MADRID, Statement about disciplinary decisions in relation to the Copa del Rey
- 25 Dec 10:22 BARCELONA, Messi: "Ronaldinho told me to take his No.10 shirt"
- 24 Dec 11:33 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "Neymar can't pip Messi to the Ballon d'Or ... yet"
- 18 Dec 20:00 REAL MADRID, Florentino: "Benitez is not our problem, he's our solution. Zidane? He'll sure be Merengues manager in the future"
- 18 Dec 15:29 REAL MADRID, Florentino rules out Mourinho coming back soon
- 16 Dec 08:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "No jealousy between Messi, Neymar and Suarez"
- 15 Dec 19:18 BARCELONA, Jordi Alba: "We don't rely on Messi or Neymar"
- 14 Dec 07:30 REAL MADRID, Modric on Villarreal failure: "My mistake on their goal. Now let's end 2015 on a high note"
- 09 Dec 14:16 BARCELONA, Ter Stegen: "You have to be wary with Leverkusen"
- 09 Dec 10:48 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ronaldo Happy at Real
- 03 Dec 11:59 REAL MADRID, Copa del Rey at risk: Benitez lines up a suspended player
- 03 Dec 09:29 VALENCIA, Gayà: "Now Neville will suggest us his ideas as a trainer"
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 29 Nov 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Official report on Tiago's surgery
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 23 Oct 00:40 BARCELONA, Messi: "I don't compete with Ronaldo, and he doesn't compete with me"
- 12 Feb 23:00 COLOMBIA / Rodallega waiting the Pekerman's call
- 12 Feb 22:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / The eight bombs of Football Leaks
- 12 Feb 21:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Newcastle loan Ameobi to Fleetwood
- 12 Feb 21:17 ESTONIA/ OFFICIAL, Nomme Kalju sign Sidorenkov
- 12 Feb 20:59 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Veteran icon Zé Roberto announces quitting in June
- 12 Feb 20:39 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Yunus Malli: "Moving to Dortmund in summer? It's possible"
- 12 Feb 20:30 EXCLUSIVE TRANFER MARKET / LIGUE 1 / PSG opens the door to Marquinhos
- 12 Feb 20:20 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, St. Gallen sign Leitgeb
- 12 Feb 20:00 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Veteran striker Gudjohnsen joins Molde FK
- 12 Feb 19:42 PREMIER LEAGUE / Chelsea: Costa breaks his nose in training
- 12 Feb 15:55 Fabian Delph could miss Euro's with injury
- 12 Feb 15:45 Rolando Aarons wants a Newcastle win against Chelsea
- 12 Feb 15:30 Gary Neville remaining calm
- 12 Feb 15:15 AC Milan interested in Fellaini
- 12 Feb 15:02 Messi wins player of the month for first time
- 12 Feb 15:00 Allardyce fears Wayne Rooney
- 12 Feb 14:50 Manchester United youngster to get chance at Sunderland
- 12 Feb 14:40 Lukaku wants more goals
- 12 Feb 14:24 Sturridge could start for Liverpool on Sunday
- 12 Feb 14:19 Mark Hughes wants more from Stoke City
- 12 Feb 14:12 NAPOLI - Higuain rejected Chelsea offer
- 12 Feb 14:11 Carrick: "Anthony Martial needs time"
- 12 Feb 13:48 Everton set to hand new deals to Oviedo and Besic
- 12 Feb 13:40 Alex Sandro: "I advice Hulk to come to Juventus"
- 12 Feb 13:35 Fletcher marks full debut with goal
- 12 Feb 13:31 ARSENAL - Meeting for Sanchez's renewal in the upcoming days
- 12 Feb 13:22 Arsenal to target teenager Reece Oxford?
- 12 Feb 13:08 Bilic believes Noble deserves England nod
- 12 Feb 12:58 McClaren: Newcastle must pick up points away from St James
- 12 Feb 12:47 Arsenal to receive injury boost
- 12 Feb 12:35 Pulis: 'Charge away fans £10'
- 12 Feb 12:27 NAPOLI - Higuain: "I feel very well here. My future, I live for the moment"
- 12 Feb 12:22 Van Gaal confident over Mourinho link
- 12 Feb 12:10 Klopp: 'Sturridge feels good'
- 12 Feb 12:00 Arsenal - Mertesaker unlikely to play against Leicester
- 12 Feb 11:53 Arsenal – Souness states Gunners don’t have the ‘mettle’ to win Premier League
- 12 Feb 11:38 Chelsea – Gianluca Vialli criticises Blues transfer record
- 12 Feb 11:24 Arsenal – Arsene Wenger praises Leicester’s Mahrez
- 12 Feb 11:07 Manchester United – Rooney offered £500,000 a week by China
- 12 Feb 10:54 Arsenal - Szczesny to return to the Gunners
- 12 Feb 10:40 West Brom – Berahino out of shape
- 12 Feb 10:40 Fabio Cannavaro sacked from Saudi Arabia club Al Nassr
- 12 Feb 10:31 ITALY/ INTER, Icardi in Josè link
- 12 Feb 10:27 Chelsea – target new goalkeeper
- 12 Feb 10:15 INTER, Nagatomo: "I said no to Man Utd"
- 12 Feb 10:10 Atletico Madrid – Griezmann will not go to Chelsea
- 12 Feb 10:01 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Izzo
- 12 Feb 09:00 CHINA/ JIANGSU SUNING, Working on Falcao
- 12 Feb 08:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "It would be a pleasure to finish my career here"
- 12 Feb 07:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Crespi: "We want to bring back Medel"
Hugo Rodallega not give up. Former Wigan or Fulham striker, among others, is going through a great moment in Turkish football and has reopened the debate about his return to the Colombian national team. In The Cauca Valley has become one of the great sensations of Akhisar Belediy
Italian club AC Milan have shown interest in Manchester United Midfielder Marouane Fellaini.
Milan have reportedly been in contact with the 28-year
Valencia boss Gary Neville has yet to win a game whilst in charge of the Spanish club but the former Manchester United man is staying relaxed.
Chelsea striker Diego Costa suffered a broken nose in training on Thursday, although the 27-year-old is expected to be available for selection against
The coach of Paris Saint-Germain (PSG), Laurent Blanc said Friday that at the end of the season will decide on the future of Brazilian defender Marqui
The Guardian reports that struggling Bundesliga side Hoffenheim has appointed 28-year-old Julian Nagelsmann as their new head coach. Nagelsmann replac