REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 11.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 21 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "It was the right time to split-up with Mourinho"
- 20 May 16:20 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "I'm fine here, but I'm not ruling PSG out"
- 20 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Everybody would like to have Neymar"
- 19 May 06:29 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "Back to Italy? I can't exclude anything"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 17 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I hope I can remain"
- 16 May 14:44 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: “We feel confident to win the Copa”
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I would never move to another European club"
- 15 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I feel important for this team"
- 14 May 14:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi stops for 2-3 weeks
- 14 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I thought Valdes was going to extend"
- 13 May 06:00 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "Let'see what will happen inside the club"
- 12 May 06:30 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "My future? Nothing concrete for the moment"
- 11 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Villa? We always want great players"
- 10 May 09:47 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Madrid must stop squabbling"
- 10 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "No calls from the club, it means that they don't want me"
- 09 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to remain, but.."
- 08 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "No negotiations with Inter"
- 07 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Real must find an agreement with Sao Paulo"
- 06 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Kakà: "I don't think I'll move back to Brazil"
- 05 May 05:59 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Our team doesn't need big changes"
- 04 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modrid's agent: "He doesn't want to leave"
- 03 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "My future is here"
- 02 May 05:59 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "I could move back to Arsenal"
- 01 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "I will go where people love me to be"
- 30 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "Ancelotti here? Ask him and the club!"
- 29 Apr 16:04 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Confident that we can turn the tie around"
- 29 Apr 06:00 REAL BETIS, Benat: "I dream to play for Athletic"
- 28 Apr 06:27 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Botafogo is an option, but I could also stay here"
- 27 Apr 06:29 SEVILLA, Negredo's agent: "Several clubs keen on him, he hasn't refused any offer"
- 26 Apr 06:19 REAL MADRID, Casemiro's agent: "Yes, Real want to keep him"
- 25 Apr 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Monatnier: "No contacts with Lille"
- 24 Apr 08:30 BARCELONA, Xavi accept Bayern were better
- 24 Apr 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Signing Diego? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 15:15 REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "It is difficult to predict who will play in the final"
- 23 Apr 10:30 BARCELONA, Messi: "Bayern even stronger than last year"
- 23 Apr 06:00 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I have made no decisions about my future yet"
- 22 Apr 16:45 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "It will not be easy to beat Dortmund
- 22 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Roura: "Abidal's contract? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 21 Apr 06:29 BARCELONA, Dos Santos: "My future? I need to play more"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Villa: "Many clubs are tracking me"
- 19 Apr 19:00 BARCELONA FC, Sanchez: "I'm fine here, I've got everything I want"
- 18 Apr 12:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "It's about doing something extra, not just winning"
- 18 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Santa Cruz's agent: "We are in talks with Botafogo"
- 17 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No negotiation with Inter for Kondogbia"
- 16 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Valdes'agent: "He has one more year on his contract"
- 13 Apr 06:00 LEVANTE, Michel: "Back to Valencia? It's up to them"
- 12 Apr 06:00 VALENCIA, Valverde: "My new contract? All on stand-by"
- 11 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Piquè: "Ferguson was wrong to sell me"
- 22 May 07:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Motherwell sign Lawson
- 22 May 06:45 LILLE, Chedjou: "I will leave, but.."
- 22 May 06:30 SCHALKE, Heldt: "We are interested in Santana, but we must wait"
- 22 May 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres: "Mourinho? One of the best managers in the world!"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three-year deal for Seedorf ready
- 21 May 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pulis quits Stoke City
- 21 May 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Hatemaj
- 21 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sprint for Isco and Lewandowski
- 21 May 22:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Ventura should remain
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Idea Luis Enrique
- 21 May 21:37 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Armand
- 21 May 21:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera could stay
- 21 May 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also PSG after Diego Alves
- 21 May 20:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Feghouli
- 21 May 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bouazza quits Racing
- 21 May 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Consigli
- 21 May 19:42 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Boer extends with Ajax
- 21 May 19:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Back for Iborra
- 21 May 19:16 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Mavuba
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is £20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I will remain, my agent is taking care of it. I can say that I have received some offers from both Italy and Spain, but the final...
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I...
As reported by todomercadoweb.es, Barcelona star Leonel Messi has declared about the possible arrival of Santos 21 year old striker Neymar:...
Interviewed by the London Evening Standard, Chelsea 29 year old striker Fernando Torres has declared: "The chance to work with Mourinho is...
Interviewed by Reviersport, Borussia Dortmund General Manager Horst Heldt has declared about the possibility to sign Borussia Dortmund 27 year...
As reported by Sky Sports Uk, Lille 27 year old defender Aurelien Chedjou has declared: "Nothing is done with any club. Yes, I want to...