REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "We will be a team until the end"
16.10.2012 13.00 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
The national teams’ commitments have pushed the inter-club competitions to the background this week while José Mourinho continues working on the Ciudad Real Madrid premises getting the team ready to face the upcoming matches. The Real Madrid coach revisited the team’s current situation during a press conference delivered to the club’s official media, making the following statements, among others: “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches”.
Do you feel comfortable at your office in Valdebebas? It’s a very cosy…
Welcome to my home, welcome to Valdebebas. We’re all very close although it’s only temporary. Our hotel and the new facilities are almost done. In fact, we’ll be enjoying wonderful working conditions, but right now, here, we’ve got everything we need.
We’re at a competition standstill, with 19 international players overseas. How do you take advantage of time these days?
We do take advantage. We do things that later on are important. For example, right now I’m focusing on the Borussia Dortmund match, which I wouldn’t be able to do under normal conditions. If we played against the Celta this weekend, I’d be focusing only on the Celta. This week I’m working on the Borussia match with four players in the training sessions. We bring in junior players to try to give continuity to those who are not currently playing with their national teams. We work and make plans. This morning, for example, we held some meetings with the hotel managers to make some final arrangements. But I miss competition. You don’t work the same way.
Having 19 international players is very important for the Real Madrid?
It is important. It means that they are top-of-the-line players and that they are also important for their countries. Some of them who are not full-time starters between inverted commas at the Real Madrid are key players for their individual countries. I like them to go because it’s good both for them and their self-esteem. For instance, I’m immensely happy that Kaká has come back. For us it’s important. For the real coach who enjoys being one, as well as training and playing, these are tough weeks that stir up some doubt. You don’t know how they’ll return, what they’re doing, if they’ll be lucky during their matches, if they’ll come back feeling happy or less happy, if they’ll bring back some problems with them or not... When both matches are close –mainly when national teams’ matches are also on these weeks turn out rather complicated.
We have played 11 official matches already. Can we draw any conclusion yet?
Yes, a small one, but I think that I’ve talked about it well enough already. I’ve always said that the Supercup of Spain is the less important competition. However, the Barcelona’s being the rival, it acquires a different meaning and significance. We won it and we deserved to be the winner. It was important because the Real Madrid had not defeated the Barcelona at the Bernabéu stadium for several seasons in a row. Now, the Champions League is the best of all. Besides, the match against the Manchester City, despite all the trouble we went through, ended up being a highly special victory, in addition to a significant one. Regarding the League, I’ve said enough already. I didn’t like the team’s play nor our performance early in the match. Later on we started a period of growth, stability and, above all, of psychological improvement. Last year this team showed that when it’s at its best psychologically speaking, it has plenty of technical and tactical quality. The goal now is to maintain this series of positive results.
Have these 11 matches given you any clue as to what can be improved?
I know perfectly well that last season this team attained a good technical, tactical and mental level to face and play each match... Indeed, this team achieved an extraordinary level and that’s the only reason why it did what it did. I knew that this season we had to reach that same level because if we did so we’d be in the same footing. For different reasons, some of them beyond our control and others for our own fault, we didn’t start off well and it took us some time to find that path. We’re now on track and from the mental standpoint the match against the City was the click the team needed to feel that if you want, you can, and that when you want something dearly, quality always makes its way and overcomes anything. Then came the victory over the Rayo, a victory at home to which we got used in the previous season, a good match against the Barcelona. I believe the team is going in the direction we want. But going back to your question and my previous answer. 10-12 days without them is a long time and we’ll see how they return.
After the victory over the Manchester and the subsequent ones, do you think the team is now eager for more and has regained its competitiveness?
That’s this team’s nature. Last season this team showed precisely that nature. If you have a look at our track record throughout different competitions, it’s quite clear that the team wants to win, and wants to win always, in every single match. We’re never left out at the beginning of the competition. We play 12 Champions League matches and another 12 in the second season. We reach the Copa del Rey final match and then some other quarter-finals. We win or end up in the second position during the championship and hold on almost to the very end. “In this team, statistics count even in friendly matches, which are sometimes more difficult to play and find motivation for, but people have always responded in a positive way. I used to think, and still do, that this responsibility is somehow part of the team’s brand image, that is, doing things right and feeling that in representing the Real Madrid, you cannot joke even in friendly matches.” However, I think that this season started out in a rather inhumane manner. League Champion, the record League. Eurocup. Five or six players win the Eurocup, other three, four, five or six make it to the semi-finals, which is also an attainment. Very short vacation. A very short pre-season. The pre-season, in addition to being short, is interrupted by the friendly national teams’ matches. It wouldn’t be illogical to think, although I have to fight against it myself, that they have between inverted commas the right to be a little bit human. But these human beings are special. They’re under a great deal of pressure and I, as their coach, prefer that those who criticise me no matter what do so for being a bit aggressive in my statements, for seeking and pulling out the players’ hidden pride. I prefer that and gradually regain those traits that have always characterised our team, rather than being quiet and politically correct, or being nice with people but lose matches and head out in a direction that for us, the Real Madrid, would be unacceptable. That’s why now I’m optimistic, despite these 10 or 15 days, because I think the team is ready to win more, equalise less, lose only a few times and battle through till the end.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 29 Nov 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Official report on Tiago's surgery
- 27 Nov 20:29 REAL MADRID, Medical reported on Varane: 3 weeks stop
- 24 Nov 12:57 REAL MADRID, Florentino Perez after Clásico failure: "We believe in Benitez's work, and CR7 has nothing against him"
- 21 Nov 00:59 BARCELONA: Luis Enrique: "Real Madrid's problems are exaggerated"
- 18 Nov 16:57 BARCELONA, Neymar could leave
- 17 Nov 13:27 SPAIN, Del Bosque: "We were not afraid"
- 15 Nov 14:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Frenchman Griezmann shocked in Paris aftermath: "My sister was at Le Bataclan, she left alive"
- 15 Nov 13:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi on Paris tragedy: "What's going on on this planet?"
- 09 Nov 21:28 SPAIN, Ramos and Juanfran pull out of Spain squad
- 09 Nov 16:57 FC SEVILLE, Immobile on his first Liga goal against Real Madrid: "A dream coming true"
- 06 Nov 05:18 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "Blaugrana were framed!"
- 05 Nov 11:14 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema 'calm' as Valbuena investigation continues
- 05 Nov 07:00 VALENCIA, Espirito Santo: "We are embarassed, we hit rock bottom"
- 03 Nov 19:00 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm not scared of injuries"
- 03 Nov 07:00 SPORTING GIJÓN, Abelardo: "Important victory against Malaga, next games will be hard"
- 02 Nov 22:00 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Possible lineup, Madrid and Paris out to gain Group A edge
- 02 Nov 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benitez: " Nobody can dispute PSG's quality"
- 29 Oct 08:30 EIBAR, Medical report on Dani Garcia and Verdi
- 28 Oct 07:59 RAYO VALLECANO, Medical report on Cobeño: surgery gone fine
- 27 Oct 07:29 ATHLETIC BILBAO, Medical report on Muniain
- 27 Oct 00:03 LIGA, Roberto Carlos: "Neymar is better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 26 Oct 15:37 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes after triumph over Levante: "We played better some games else, but this time we scored a lot"
- 23 Oct 00:40 BARCELONA, Messi: "I don't compete with Ronaldo, and he doesn't compete with me"
- 22 Oct 10:39 SPAIN, Johan Cruyff diagnosed with lung cancer
- 21 Oct 08:00 REAL MADRID, Varane before PSG clash: "We'll have to control the game in order to defeat them"
- 20 Oct 12:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "We are in good shape, and we can defeat Gent. Happy here, I want to renew"
- 19 Oct 08:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "Sociedad? We did what we needed to do. I'd never celebrate scoring against a club that gave me everything"
- 16 Oct 07:30 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Mestalla audience is picky and impatient, we need to fulfil their expectations"
- 15 Oct 06:59 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos back in squad training
- 14 Oct 10:57 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Ronaldo can score more goals"
- 14 Oct 06:30 FC SEVILLE, Tremoulinas: "We succeeded in defeating Barcelona because we worked as a real group"
- 13 Oct 13:04 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar: "Of course I want new Barcelona deal"
- 12 Oct 06:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "Both my gameplaying and my life here changed for the best"
- 09 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi's agent: "Bayern are after him"
- 08 Oct 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "I'm not thinking about Barcelona"
- 07 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "I want to stay"
- 02 Oct 23:33 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo is a Blancos legend"
- 02 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Feghouli: "Contacts with Barcelona"
- 01 Oct 19:27 LEVANTE, Simao: "Ready to fight and struggle against Villarreal"
- 01 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Kovacic? He's got the qualities for becoming a champion"
- 30 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I refused to join Porto"
- 29 Sep 18:48 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - BARCELONA FC, Rakitic: "We want to win for Leo and for our fans. Our style won't change"
- 29 Sep 17:59 REAL MADRID, 20-man squad for the match against Malmö: Bale out
- 29 Sep 13:15 CHAMPIONS, Barcelona v Leverkusen - Possible lineups: Leo Messi is irreplaceable
- 29 Sep 06:29 ATLETICO, Tiago: "I would like to end my career here"
- 24 Sep 13:39 VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Malaga accomplishment: "I'm extremely proud of my players"
- 23 Sep 08:19 BETIS, Joaquin: "Sousa didn't want to let me go"
- 22 Sep 16:00 BARCELONA FC, Medical report on Rafinha after surgery
- 22 Sep 07:00 BARCELONA, Neymar calls Coutinho
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "We don't have to pay 10 millions to De Gea"
- 19 Sep 16:00 VALENCIA v BETIS, Liga Matchday 4, Special Preview - Joaquín faces his own past
- 18 Sep 07:29 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - VILLARREAL, Marcelino after Austrian failure: "We were really bad during part of the game"
- 18 Sep 01:57 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - BARCELONA FC (Group E), Suarez: "No need to get upset for the outcome"
- 17 Sep 17:12 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ZENIT (Group H), Hulk: "Important victory for us, Valencia are a great team"
- 17 Sep 00:34 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - VALENCIA (Group H), André Gomes: "We took some risks, and Zenit exploited it"
- 16 Sep 15:43 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - REAL MADRID (Group A), Ronaldo: "Proud of the scoring record reached"
- 16 Sep 15:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - ATLETICO MADRID (Group C), double scorer Griezmann: "We reached a good level, now we need to work and keep it"
- 16 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I'm very happy"
- 16 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - GALATASARAY (Group C), Hamzaoglu: "Atletico are really good. Satisfied with my team's performance in the second half"
- 16 Sep 01:36 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - SHAKHTAR DONETSK (Group A), Lucescu: "Real Madrid's victory is a stolen one"
- 15 Sep 18:12 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - FC SEVILLE v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH (Group D): Llorente searching for his first Andalusian header
- 15 Sep 16:23 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - GALATASARAY v ATLETICO MADRID (Group C): fresh start for Podolski
- 15 Sep 15:47 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - REAL MADRID v SHAKHTAR (Group A): Isco from the kick-off
- 13 Sep 10:00 ATLETICO MADRID - BARCELONA FC 1-2, Matchbox: Neymar and Messi respond to Torres
- 11 Sep 17:11 ESPANYOL v REAL MADRID, Special Preview - James Rodriguez surely out
- 11 Sep 08:29 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Ronaldo to PSG? If they pay a billion..."
- 10 Sep 17:59 BARCELONA FC, Piqué: "I was wearing Buffon shirt during Real Madrid-Juventus, last May"
- 10 Sep 08:19 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I don't think De Gea will join in January"
- 10 Sep 00:39 BARCELONA FC, Mascherano charged with tax evasion
- 09 Sep 06:00 CELTA, Nolito: "Don't want to talk about my future"
- 08 Sep 18:19 REAL MADRID, Indoor training for Modric and Kovacic
- 08 Sep 11:09 REAL MADRID, Benzema happy with Merengues
- 04 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "De Gea didn't join cause of United"
- 03 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "Happy to stay"
- 02 Sep 10:45 REAL MADRID, Official statement on De Gea's missed transfer
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 31 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Neymar: "I want to play in the Copa America and the Olympics"
- 30 Aug 10:30 MALAGA, Javi Garcia: "I don't understand Darder's departure"
- 27 Aug 08:19 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "I will stay"
- 21 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Everything can happen until August 31"
- 20 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Butragueno: "The transfer market? There is still time"
- 14 Aug 08:29 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 13 Aug 16:29 ATLETICO MADRID, Torres: "Pedro would be perfect for Premier"
- 13 Aug 08:19 CELTA, Nolito: "Either I'll return to Barça, or I will stay here"
- 12 Aug 15:29 BARCELONA FC, Pedro: "Leaving? It's a matter of pitch time, not money"
- 12 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I hope Pedro will stay"
- 11 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "Llorente? We must wait"
- 10 Aug 11:50 REAL BETIS, Vargas: "Great ambition, I hope to stay for so long"
- 10 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benitez: "Soon a decision about Asensio"
- 09 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "The market? In August I'm always nervous"
- 08 Aug 06:00 RAYO, Martín Presa: "Zhang's signing has not been imposed"
- 07 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'm attached to my club"
- 06 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano's agent: "He wants to leave"
- 05 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "I want Pedro to stay"
- 04 Aug 06:00 BETIS, Mel: "No chances that Osvaldo will join us"
- 03 Aug 11:44 BARCELONA, Rakitic: "We will win when it matters"
- 03 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Garcia: "Happy of our new signings"
- 01 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Pedro will stay"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 02 Dec 02:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Busquets agrees on renewal
- 02 Dec 00:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Eyes on Okotie: 3 rivals
- 01 Dec 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese, Di Natale could quit in January
- 01 Dec 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Chievo Verona in touch with Barrientos
- 01 Dec 18:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Jaime Santos renews for Sporting Gijón
- 01 Dec 17:30 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Medjani resigns from Trabzonspor
- 01 Dec 17:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, No return to AS Monaco for Falcao
- 01 Dec 16:27 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Done for Gerson
- 01 Dec 15:57 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Rich renewal offer submitted to Kane: salary to be doubled
- 01 Dec 15:29 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Approaching Sporar
- 01 Dec 14:59 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Udinese and Watford failed attempts for Zaza
- 01 Dec 14:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Delneri is the new Hellas Verona manager
- 01 Dec 14:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Newcastle call Williamson back from Wolves
- 01 Dec 13:38 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Vanlerberghe renews for
- 01 Dec 13:14 ENGLAND, Moyes eyes new challenge
- 01 Dec 13:00 BAYERN MUNICH, Matthaus about Muller: "He should definitely stay"
- 01 Dec 12:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, missed out on a deal to sign Coman
- 01 Dec 12:33 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Townsend set or Spurs exit
- 01 Dec 12:16 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Neymar and the future: "I can not see me far away"
- 01 Dec 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Klopp dreams of Neven Subotic
- 01 Dec 11:44 ENGLAND/ WATFORD, Thinking about Adebayor
- 01 Dec 11:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabio observed by Tottenham and Arsenal
- 01 Dec 11:13 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Demichelis is likely to return to his homeland
- 01 Dec 00:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Eyes on Vicente Gomez
- 30 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, 2 more suitors for Ranocchia
- 30 Nov 20:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Suggestion for Toulalan: willing to replace the injured Tiago
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 30 Nov 19:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY: Demichelis between River Plate, MLS and staying put
- 30 Nov 17:57 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Updates on Negredo
- 30 Nov 17:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suggestion for André Ayew
- 30 Nov 16:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brighton sign Towell
- 30 Nov 16:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Townsend as a weapon to snatch Berahino from Chelsea
- 30 Nov 15:37 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Kramaric: "Italy would be good for him, but..."
- 30 Nov 14:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, line up £22m bid for defensive midfielder
- 30 Nov 14:31 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Pep may stay
- 30 Nov 14:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA & WEST HAM, Watching Mandragora
- 30 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ BOURNEMOUTH, Winter offer for Gayle ready
- 30 Nov 13:32 CHELSEA, Mourinho insists Costa should feel 'privileged'
- 30 Nov 13:27 ITALY/ UDINESE, An Italian suitor for Domizzi
- 30 Nov 13:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Costa's future in doubt
- 30 Nov 13:04 ITALY/ TORINO, Glik and Maksimovic: renewals are close
- 30 Nov 12:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, One more suitor for Cheryshev
- 30 Nov 12:42 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, From Lisandro Lopez to Marlon
- 30 Nov 12:31 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, LVG keen on Swiss striker
- 30 Nov 12:13 SPAIN/ VALENCIA,Neville take temporary charge as coach
- 30 Nov 11:59 PSG, Thiago Silva: "I want to end my career just here"
- 30 Nov 11:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, To make an offer for Nolito
- 30 Nov 11:10 ENGLAND/ BIRMINGHAM, Rowett set to stay
- 30 Nov 11:00 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Survey on Zielinski
- 30 Nov 10:45 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Redknapp could take charge
According to El Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona FC chairman Josep Maria Bartomeu succeeded in convincing Spanish international half-back Sergio Busquets (27) signing a renewal, in order to slow down on courtship coming from Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Arsenal.
In response to La Gazzetta dello Sport rumours, regarding a scene supposedly made by veteran forward Antonio Cassano yesterday morning, before Serie A
Through the following official announcement, Valencia, experiencing a deep team crisis, made known:
"Nuno Espirito Santo has stepped down as H
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Diego Costa should feel “privileged” not to have been dropped sooner.
“Diego is very privi
Playing for Paris Saint-Germain since 2012/13 and currently on a deal with French club until June 2018, Brazilian star centre-back Thiago Silva, brief
Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus has warned Thomas Muller off making the move to Manchester United or Chelsea.
“He does not need Manchest