ARSENAL, Arteta: "I will consider management one day"
18.10.2012 08.08 by TM W
Mikel Arteta will consider a move into management when his playing days are over - even though he believes the job is more stressful than ever.
The midfielder has been a revelation since joining Arsenal last year and was recently appointed vice-captain by Arsène Wenger. At 30, Arteta has a number of years left on the pitch but his cerebral approach to his sport augurs well should he eventually swap the midfield for the technical area.
The Spaniard admits he has thought about his long-term future but he is wary of the pressure on modern-day managers.
"I don’t know [if I will be a manager], it’s a big thing nowadays because it’s really demanding," Arteta told Arsenal.com.
"I think the job has changed a lot in the last few years - you can see the stress and the responsibility managers have. Sometimes people don’t recognise that. To manage a group of players nowadays with 10 or 15 different countries involved with different personalities is a difficult thing to do.
"I have thought about it a lot and we will see what happens one day. It’s still early for that [decision]. Obviously you’re starting to get a few things from different managers and players and a key thing is they can help.
"Sometimes on the pitch as well you think about things that can be done better or in a different way, or how you play depending on if you’re winning and drawing and what the team needs to do."
Arteta worked under David Moyes at Everton and has also thrived with Wenger. The Spaniard's tactical awareness is one of his strengths but he believes that man-management is just as important in the top job.
"If you have 24 players, every one is different," he said. "One of the biggest mistakes I’ve seen is when you treat everyone the same. People say ‘everyone has to be the same’ - they have to be the same in certain roles, but everyone is different.
"The way you approach someone is very important. If you shout at someone, it depends on their character - you may kill him for the next 45 minutes.
"Sometimes you need to pinch someone because you know he has the character. He can involve the rest if he pushes and raises his level in the game. You have to recognise those characters and I think that’s a very difficult part of football management."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 21 May 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We need new signings"
- 20 May 17:00 FULHAM, Jol: "We need a new goalkeeper"
- 20 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "I was looking forward to the opportunity of playing as a midfielder"
- 20 May 14:30 MAN. UNITED, Carrick: "Surreal atmosphere after Ferguson's final match. We reciprocally thanked for all"
- 20 May 06:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Nasri: "No contacts with PSG"
- 19 May 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "No contacts with Arsenal for Julio Cesar"
- 18 May 18:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I admire Ibra, who never sold out. Playing with him? Why not?!"
- 18 May 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are not after Rooney"
- 17 May 19:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are the masters of our own fate"
- 17 May 17:40 ARSENAL, Wenger: "The worst thing for a manager is playing without any pressure"
- 17 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I’d love to have signed Beckham"
- 17 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "We must qualify"
- 17 May 15:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Maybe Newcastle will give us a hard time by playing unpressured"
- 17 May 06:15 QPR, Julio Cesar: "I will leave, but I don't know where I will go"
- 16 May 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We showed we can share goals"
- 16 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Benitez: "I am not thinking about Napoli"
- 15 May 06:15 ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "Anzhi? Too early to talk about it"
- 14 May 19:00 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Missing some games makes you stronger. My captaincy style is still the same"
- 14 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm enjoying playing here. Very good partnership with Mertesacker, I progressed a lot"
- 14 May 06:19 QPR, Granero: "I don't want to play in the Championship"
- 13 May 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "My future remains uncertain"
- 12 May 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want to keep Škrtel"
- 11 May 15:00 TOTTENHAM, Villas-Boas: "Taking Bale away from us will be difficult for Manchester United"
- 11 May 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Reina is not for sale"
- 10 May 06:15 WEST HAM, Sullivan: "We would like to keep Carroll"
- 09 May 19:00 CHELSEA, Lampard: "I could have done more for deserving a renewal"
- 09 May 15:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Moyes: "It’s a great honour to be asked to be the next Manager "
- 09 May 06:15 MAN. CITY, Mancini: "Cavani and El Shaarawy? We are not the only club interested"
- 08 May 09:30 MANCHESTER UTD, David Gill: "16 unforgettable years with Ferguson"
- 08 May 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Lowton won't move"
- 07 May 10:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Let's qualify for Champions League, Tottenham have not enough quality"
- 07 May 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Podolski will play as a striker"
- 07 May 06:15 STOKE CITY, Pulis: "No offers for Begović"
- 06 May 20:00 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I'm fulfilled with my season, but now we must hit our target"
- 06 May 19:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Touré: "I might end my career here"
- 06 May 17:30 WEST HAM, Joe Cole: "All of us want Carroll to stay"
- 06 May 07:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Theo is so clinical now"
- 06 May 07:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm happy with final games"
- 06 May 06:19 MAN. UTD., Ferguson asks for new signings
- 05 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho"
- 04 May 07:27 ST. ETIENNE, Aubameyang: "I like La Liga, the Premier League and the Bundesliga"
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Benayoun: "I have many offers, but.."
- 03 May 18:00 QPR, Redknapp: "If Arsenal want Julio Cesar, they need to make a good offer"
- 03 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Now we are financially strong"
- 03 May 10:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Every day to get better and better"
- 03 May 06:19 FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Russia interesting option, but.."
- 02 May 17:47 ARSENAL, Wenger: "How Santi has surprised me"
- 02 May 06:19 READING, Pogrebnyak's agent: "He wants to remain in England"
- 01 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tevez: "Back to Boca? If iy was up to me.."
- 30 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Bale: "Real Madrid? Just speculations"
- 22 May 00:00 JUVENTUS, Isla: "I don't know if I will remain"
- 21 May 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Three-year deal for Seedorf ready
- 21 May 23:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pulis quits Stoke City
- 21 May 22:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Hatemaj
- 21 May 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sprint for Isco and Lewandowski
- 21 May 22:20 ITALY/ TORINO, Ventura should remain
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Idea Luis Enrique
- 21 May 21:37 FRANCE/ OM, Interest for Armand
- 21 May 21:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera could stay
- 21 May 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Also PSG after Diego Alves
- 21 May 20:39 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Feghouli
- 21 May 20:20 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bouazza quits Racing
- 21 May 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Consigli
- 21 May 19:42 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Boer extends with Ajax
- 21 May 19:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Back for Iborra
- 21 May 19:16 FRANCE/ OM, Eyes on Mavuba
- 21 May 19:02 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Cavani is waiting for Real
- 21 May 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Rat
- 21 May 18:33 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Offer for Benatia ready
- 21 May 18:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Napoli after Gomez
- 21 May 18:02 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Edinho
- 21 May 18:02 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri extends with Parma
- 21 May 17:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Moutinho: "I want to stay with Dragoes"
- 21 May 17:33 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Tony Pulis set to leave
- 21 May 17:16 FRANCE/ LYON, Spurs observing Lisandro Lopez
- 21 May 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, PSG interested in Di Maria
- 21 May 16:47 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gervinho observed by O.L.
- 21 May 16:31 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, All ready for the arrival of Derek Boateng
- 21 May 16:14 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montanier is the new coach of Rennes
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Milan: Galaxy and Chicago in Ambrosini future
- 21 May 15:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Galtier pens new deal with Saint-Etienne
- 21 May 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, The coach Montanier quits Real Sociedad
- 21 May 15:14 AS ROMA, Statement against racism
- 21 May 14:59 FRANCE/ MONACO, Super offer for Moutinho and James Rodriguez
- 21 May 14:35 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna's agent: "No decision on his future"
- 21 May 13:43 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Aguuero
- 21 May 13:36 FRANCE/ PSG, The new target is Witsel
- 21 May 13:27 FRANCE/ MONACO, N'Zogbia the next target
- 21 May 13:18 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I'm thinking about the best choice I can make"
- 21 May 13:09 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Tiago llori is the first target
- 21 May 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY Kompany is Ł20mlns summer target for Barcelona
- 21 May 12:56 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Edgar Davids with Barnet also next year
- 21 May 12:46 ITALY/ INTER, Moratti: "I didn't chage my mind on Stramaccioni"
- 21 May 12:31 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Cardozo observed by Atletico Madrid
- 21 May 12:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Mitchell extends with Rangers
- 21 May 12:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, De Laurentiis: "Here why I'm in London. I'm talking with City"
- 21 May 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva's agent: "No chance I'll leave"
- 21 May 11:45 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Observing Potuk
- 21 May 11:31 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Close to agree with Kolo Toure
- 21 May 11:15 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Eyes on the young Mello
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I will remain, my agent is taking care of it. I can say that I have received some offers from both Italy and Spain, but the final...
Interviewed by ADN, Juventus full back Mauricio Isla has declared: "At Juve I have been penalized by some injuries. I don't know if I...
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has declared: about 50 year old coach Jose Mourinho: "Nobody has fired anyone, everything has been...
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has declared: "Since January this team has shown a better level of consistency. We've shown Champions...
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund center back Mats Hummels has declared: "There have been no contacts with other clubs. I will...
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has declared: "I think that there is already a pre-agreement between Ancelotti and Real Madri, but I...