ARSENAL, Podolski: "Schalke will be toughest test yet"
23.10.2012 12.15 by TM W
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Lukas Podolski has warned that Arsenal will face "something special" when they take on Schalke home and away in the next two Champions League fixtures, and believes taking maximum points at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday could be crucial.
Schalke are currently third in the Bundesliga - where they finished last season - and come into this game on the back of an impressive 2-1 win at local rivals Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
"Schalke is a very strong team, the strongest we will face in the group stage," Podolski told the Official Matchday Programme.
"If we can win this game we will be very well placed. Schalke are a good team though, they are something special at home, with their fans behind them, so we will want the three points at home.
"I know their coach, Huub Stevens, very well because he coached me for a season when I was at Cologne. They will be tough to beat, but we must go for the three points."
The Germany international also revealed he has a good recent record against Schalke.
"Yes, I have a good history with them," he said. "I think in each of the past two or three games I played against them I have scored, so I quite like playing against them. Hopefully I can do it again in the Champions League."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 30 Mar 07:29 MAN. CITY, Silva: "Barça? I am happy here"
- 29 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "My future? I have given my word.."
- 28 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Gunners crisis: "There's still a lot of turning games before the season ends"
- 28 Mar 11:00 NEW YORK RED BULLS, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry: "I'm excited for playing friendly match against Gunners"
- 28 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ramsey is progressing in recovering"
- 28 Mar 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Benteke's agent: "Too early to talk about the future"
- 27 Mar 18:30 ARSENAL, Gunners legend Robert Pires says: "I believe in them, but they need another striker to play at Giroud's side"
- 27 Mar 06:15 STOKE CITY, Nzonzi: "I am happy here"
- 26 Mar 16:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We want to prove we are a Premier League big one against City"
- 26 Mar 13:45 ARSENAL, Kallstrom: "Finally playing for Gunners is a dream coming true"
- 18 Apr 09:45 FRANCE/ O.M., 3 Premier League clubs keen on Romao
- 18 Apr 09:30 TURKEY/ BURSASPOR, Frey calls Fiorentina back
- 18 Apr 09:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, From Italy: Allegri will be the new Spurs manager
- 18 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, English youngster Kinsella about to sign his first pro contract
- 18 Apr 08:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Martins will leave Maritimo after the season ends
- 18 Apr 08:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, America MG sign Thiago Santos
- 18 Apr 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brown remains at Carlisle
- 18 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Season over for Alba
- 18 Apr 06:57 LILLE, Kjaer: "Honored by United's interest"
- 18 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "Olic could renew for two years"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 18 Apr 06:00 ESPANYOL, Casilla: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 18 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "I want to stay"
- 17 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ VERONA, Mission for Mangia
- 17 Apr 23:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht B. sign Gikiewicz
- 17 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Update on Seedorf
- 17 Apr 22:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Howard renews with Everton
- 17 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ INTER, Duel with Atletico for Hernandez
- 17 Apr 22:00 BELGIUM/ CHARLEROI, Salamone on trial
- 17 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ VERONA, New contract for Toni ready
- 17 Apr 21:17 FRANCE/ OL, Chantome to replace Gonalons
- 17 Apr 20:59 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Also Monaco after Baselli
- 17 Apr 20:39 BRAZIL/ FLUMINENSE, Timbò likely to join
- 17 Apr 20:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Lucas Rodriguez
- 17 Apr 20:00 GREECE/ APOLLON, Also Chievo after Petropoulos
- 17 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Three clubs after Benalouane
- 17 Apr 19:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Martins will quit Maritimo
- 17 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gilardino?
- 17 Apr 19:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Three Italian clubs after Colazo
- 17 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Khazri about to join
- 17 Apr 18:30 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Also Stuttgart after Klein
- 17 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sprint for Elkeson
- 17 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ MONTPELLIER, Two English clubs after Stambouli
- 17 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Borussia after Cuadrado
- 17 Apr 17:30 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, In the summer Pavlovic will leave
- 17 Apr 17:13 ITALY/ INTER, Nothing to do for Sagna: he'll sign a 3-year deal with Arsenal
- 17 Apr 17:00 FRANCE/ PDG, Touré the alternative to Pogba
- 17 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "Signing my first contract for the club was an emotional moment "
- 17 Apr 16:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Interest for Baselli confirmed
- 17 Apr 16:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Agreement with Lulic
- 17 Apr 16:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Derdiyok won't stay
- 17 Apr 15:45 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Also Galatasaray after Kavlak
- 17 Apr 15:30 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Rebrov is Dynamo new coach
- 17 Apr 15:15 ITALY/ JUVE, De Girolamo targeted by Juve and Arsenal
- 17 Apr 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ochoa: "Playing for AC Milan would be a dream"
- 17 Apr 14:45 BRAZIL/ PALMEIRAS, Offer for Maicon refused
- 17 Apr 14:30 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Duel to Hamburg for Mame Diouf
- 17 Apr 14:15 INTER & GALATASARAY, That's the duel for Lavezzi
- 17 Apr 14:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Keen on Carlinhos
- 17 Apr 13:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Survey on Laporte
According to what reported by Il Corriere dello Sport, Italian 46 years old Massimiliano Allegri, previously training AC Milan, will be the manager for Tottenham. His first Premier League adventure will start in July, after he'll have studied English thoroughly. The...
Inter Milan defender Andrea Ranocchia has declared: "My new contract? At the right moment you will know everything, my will is to remain at...
Marc Bartra was one of the protagonists in the final of the Copa del Rey. The center back, who scored Barça goal, said “it’s...
Capable to score a double against West Ham, Lukas Podolski is one of the subjects mentioned by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger during his...
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about 24 year old midfielder Toni Kroos: "Bayern's executives will do all they can to...
Lille defender Simon Kjaer has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's an honor to hear about such a great club, but I...