REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "The players worked hard"
22.11.2012 08.35 by TM W
© foto di Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho spoke to the media after his 100th Champions League match. The Portuguese coach highlighted his team’s attitude towards defending the result in the final minutes: "I do not want to talk about the referees. The goal and the area are far from the bench and for me it was impossible to say whether or not it was a penalty, that is what for you are here for. The journalists are the ones who decide if it was a penalty or a red card. City have a great squad and we were down to ten men. We had to defend and we did not have a player like Essien on the bench, who would have been good at the time. The players worked hard and played very good match. We knew that the point would put us into the round of 16 without taking any risks".
The Portuguese analysed the match as follows: "We had several opportunities to score. The second goal would have finished match, we totally controlled the match. City reacted and it is amazing how this team, with these players, have had two years without getting through to the Champions League round of 16. They put us under pressure for a few minutes and then the penalty came with the sending off and the equaliser. Playing with ten against a team with thousands of attacking options, we defended well and got the draw. You have to play to draw the match, not to win. We qualified with a match left to play".
The Portuguese coach recalled a previous experience with Italian referee Rocchi: "I played a derby match between Inter and Milan in which most of the time I was with ten players, and end with nine, and there was also a nonexistent penalty. This time, the referee was next to the goal. I am calm and I have a ban pending. I appreciate the gift that UEFA presented me with, a very nice plaque for the 100 matches played in the Champions League. Imagine if we the ones who went out of this group".
The Real Madrid coach was asked in the press room if this match was among his worst memories in Champions: "I lost a semi-final with a goal that was not because the ball didn’t cross the line, one in which Pepe broke his tibia and Alves his fibula, others about penalties ... I’ve had worse moments in my Champions League career. This was a match is amongst the acceptable ones and not the dramatic ones".
The Real Madrid coach was also talked about the Benítez’s arrival at Chelsea and Silva's performance: "I'm never happy when another coach gets sacked. I feel sorry for the coach, their families ... also sympathise with the teams that they've trained and I want them to do well. I wish the best to Rafa Benítez. Silva is a great player, the great players do not know how to play badly".
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 22 Oct 20:41 OGC NICE, Balotelli: "I could have joined Juventus, but my heart belongs to AC Milan"
- 22 Oct 18:29 MANCHESTER UNITED get closer to Benfica's Alex GRIMALDO
- 22 Oct 15:04 TOTTENHAM back tracking SUSO
- 22 Oct 12:32 WEST HAM & LEICESTER - Suggestion for Manuel PELLEGRINI
- 22 Oct 10:20 BOLOGNA - Eyes on Ghanaian free-agent forward Darko APPIAH. Though...
- 22 Oct 07:06 BENFICA - 2 top suitors for 2001-born winger EMBALO
- 22 Oct 00:11 REAL MADRID scouting Inter Milan hitman ICARDI
- 21 Oct 22:38 SWANSEA CITY, Roque MESA: "Bad start, but I want to enjoy PL all the way"
- 21 Oct 20:23 MANCHESTER CITY - Duel to Juventus and United on GIMENEZ
- 21 Oct 18:49 BENFICA, Gabigol's agent: "He's happy, but he needs to play much more"
- 21 Oct 17:14 BAYERN MUNICH trying to start talks with PSG on DRAXLER
- 21 Oct 15:40 OFFICIAL - Lazio extend deals with IMMOBILE and STRAKOSHA
- 21 Oct 11:12 REAL MADRID - Ambitious plan for reaching out to Harry KANE
- 21 Oct 08:52 JUVENTUS scouting AS Roma midfielder PELLEGRINI
- 21 Oct 00:01 VALENCIA - 3 top clubs keen on 2000-born Ferrán TORRES
- 20 Oct 23:20 LIVERPOOL - Klopp not willing to put MILNER up for sale
- 20 Oct 22:37 ARSENAL ready to try signing MALCOM from Bordeaux
- 20 Oct 21:54 CHELSEA - The path leading to BONUCCI might get reborn
- 20 Oct 21:09 AS ROMA, Monchi: "Just one player to take from Atletico? That would be SAUL Ñíguez"
- 20 Oct 20:26 PSG - Angel DI MARIA tempted to push towards winter goodbye
- 20 Oct 19:44 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "My future? I'm in no hurry to decide about that"
- 20 Oct 19:00 DORTMUND - Burki after renewal: "I'm so proud to be the goalie of this club"
- 20 Oct 18:22 ATLETICO MADRID - Suggestion on getting ARDA TURAN back from Barça
- 20 Oct 17:39 OFFICIAL - Roman BURKI agrees on new deal with Dortmund
- 20 Oct 16:57 BARCELONA FC put up RAFINHA for sale
- 20 Oct 16:13 SOUTHAMPTON - Steps forward towards Paco ALCACER
- 20 Oct 15:32 LYON deny Real Madrid having got a recompra right on MARIANO Diaz
- 20 Oct 14:50 OFFICIAL - Andrea BARBERIS signed on new deal by Crotone
- 20 Oct 14:45 STOKE CITY - Scouting Spanish Midfielder
- 20 Oct 14:32 EVERTON - Koeman concedes his future is in the hands of the club’s owners
- 20 Oct 14:18 TMW - ATALANTA challenge Fiorentina on second-tier talented playmaker MAGGIORE
- 20 Oct 13:44 MANCHESTER UNITED - Ander HERRERA's new contract is on arrival
- 20 Oct 13:23 HANNOVER 96 approaching Wolfsburg departee KNOCHE
- 20 Oct 12:40 LEICESTER CITY got Ryan GIGGS on their list as well
- 20 Oct 11:56 GENOA - Ricardo CENTURION very unlikely to join Boca Juniors back
- 20 Oct 11:11 'GLADBACH approaching young Dutch defender SCHUURS
- 20 Oct 10:29 JUVENTUS planning attempt for Dortmund midfielder star WEIGL
- 20 Oct 09:47 CHIEVO VERONA, Maran: "I'd be honoured to be this club's Alex FERGUSON"
- 20 Oct 09:09 From UK - Arsenal, OZIL declares: "I'm signing for UNITED"
- 19 Oct 23:36 INTER MILAN - Eyes on City 1999-born Brahim DIAZ
- 19 Oct 22:55 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli in talks with ALLAN on new deal
- 19 Oct 22:15 MANCHESTER CITY - Lead over AS Roma on 2000-born VITINHO
- 19 Oct 21:34 LEICESTER CITY in touch with Carlo ANCELOTTI: odds are high
- 19 Oct 20:51 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan scouting Benfica young full-back ALEX PINTO
- 19 Oct 20:09 AS MONACO loanee VINAGRE tracked by 3 Premier League clubs
- 19 Oct 19:25 MANCHESTER UNITED offer Phil JONES a deal renewal
- 19 Oct 18:42 NEWCASTLE - Suggestion for getting BEN ARFA back
- 19 Oct 17:58 CELTA VIGO, Wass' agent: "Sevilla? That would be good step forward"
- 19 Oct 17:14 EXCLUSIVE TMW - PSG, suggestion for Antonio CONTE as next boss
- 19 Oct 16:31 CHELSEA back weighing Jamie VARDY up
During a Facebook live speech, former Italian international striker Mario Balotelli (27), living his second OGC Nice season in a row, stated: "Donnarumma might become even better than Buffon. When I was leaving Manchester City, I could have joined Juventus, but I ultimately
Previously playing for third-tier sides Cosenza and Giana Erminio, Ghanaian winger/forward Samuel Darko Appiah (20), according to Italian local news,
Asked by Estadio Deportivo about rumours linking Danish international midfielder Daniel Wass (28) to a Sevilla FC winter move, his agent, Michael Joha
Asked by Estadio Deportivo about his trouble getting fit at Swansea City, Spanish midfielder Roque Mesa (28) stated: "That's true, my Swansea
During a Facebook live speech, former Italian international striker Mario Balotelli (27), living his second OGC Nice season in a row, stated: "Do
Playing for Borussia Dortmund since 2015/16, Swiss international goalkeeper Roman Bürki (turning 27 next November 14), despite some recent s