REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "The players worked hard"
22.11.2012 08.35 by TM W
© foto di Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho spoke to the media after his 100th Champions League match. The Portuguese coach highlighted his team’s attitude towards defending the result in the final minutes: "I do not want to talk about the referees. The goal and the area are far from the bench and for me it was impossible to say whether or not it was a penalty, that is what for you are here for. The journalists are the ones who decide if it was a penalty or a red card. City have a great squad and we were down to ten men. We had to defend and we did not have a player like Essien on the bench, who would have been good at the time. The players worked hard and played very good match. We knew that the point would put us into the round of 16 without taking any risks".
The Portuguese analysed the match as follows: "We had several opportunities to score. The second goal would have finished match, we totally controlled the match. City reacted and it is amazing how this team, with these players, have had two years without getting through to the Champions League round of 16. They put us under pressure for a few minutes and then the penalty came with the sending off and the equaliser. Playing with ten against a team with thousands of attacking options, we defended well and got the draw. You have to play to draw the match, not to win. We qualified with a match left to play".
The Portuguese coach recalled a previous experience with Italian referee Rocchi: "I played a derby match between Inter and Milan in which most of the time I was with ten players, and end with nine, and there was also a nonexistent penalty. This time, the referee was next to the goal. I am calm and I have a ban pending. I appreciate the gift that UEFA presented me with, a very nice plaque for the 100 matches played in the Champions League. Imagine if we the ones who went out of this group".
The Real Madrid coach was asked in the press room if this match was among his worst memories in Champions: "I lost a semi-final with a goal that was not because the ball didn’t cross the line, one in which Pepe broke his tibia and Alves his fibula, others about penalties ... I’ve had worse moments in my Champions League career. This was a match is amongst the acceptable ones and not the dramatic ones".
The Real Madrid coach was also talked about the Benítez’s arrival at Chelsea and Silva's performance: "I'm never happy when another coach gets sacked. I feel sorry for the coach, their families ... also sympathise with the teams that they've trained and I want them to do well. I wish the best to Rafa Benítez. Silva is a great player, the great players do not know how to play badly".
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 07 Dec 20:37 FC SEVILLE challenged by Sporting Lisbon on signing VANGIONI
- 07 Dec 01:13 BARCELONA FC scouting Ajax talent CERNY
- 03 Dec 03:55 EXCLUSIVE TMW - LAS PALMAS challenge Serie A sides on ADEJO
- 02 Dec 13:55 REAL BETIS - Musonda to leave back to Chelsea in winter
- 01 Dec 19:19 6 Liga clubs keen on REAL MADRID new sensation Mariano DIAZ
- 01 Dec 16:40 ESPANYOL - ROBERTO Jimenez wants to leave in winter
- 30 Nov 12:00 BARCELONA - Mathieu out 20 days
- 29 Nov 22:17 OSASUNA - Eyes on ZACCARDO
- 26 Nov 14:37 3 Liga suitors on Stoke departee MUNIESA
- 24 Nov 13:39 ATHLETIC BILBAO planning to bring MERINO back to Spain
- 21 Nov 23:37 DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA consider bringing LUIS ALBERTO back
- 20 Nov 02:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Pezzella about to be signed on a new contract
- 19 Nov 02:29 MALAGA, Arnau: "BALOTELLI offered himself to us, but..."
- 18 Nov 14:04 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: "I imagine Messi at Barça for many years"
- 18 Nov 10:01 FC SEVILLE want to sign Emmanuel MAS from San Lorenzo
- 18 Nov 03:41 MALAGA challenge Depor on CAICEDO
- 15 Nov 23:01 FC SEVILLE - Aleix VIDAL willing to join back
- 14 Nov 11:46 MALAGA - Doors open leading to ITURBE
- 14 Nov 05:46 VILLARREAL - New long-term contract for GASPAR on arrival
- 12 Nov 18:17 LAS PALMAS, Boateng: "I'm finally enjoying football and life here, ready for a new contract"
- 12 Nov 13:35 OFFICIAL - REAL BETIS announce new head coach
- 11 Nov 11:42 OFFICIAL - LAS PALMAS, 3 deal extensions and one renewal
- 10 Nov 15:47 VALENCIA scouting Miguel VELOSO
- 09 Nov 11:18 EXCLUSIVE TMW - REAL BETIS, Guidolin targeted for replacing Poyet
- 08 Nov 19:22 REAL MADRID - Eyes on Brazilian youngster from Corinthians
- 08 Nov 16:33 OFFICIAL - VILLARREAL sign Manu TRIGUEROS on a new contract
- 08 Nov 15:44 OFFICIAL - OSASUNA sack Enrique Martín
- 07 Nov 19:01 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "MSN are wonders, I'd never have played at Barça"
- 07 Nov 10:09 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "Ronaldo should retire at Real"
- 04 Nov 15:47 VILLAREAL - Pato: "The image of Milan will always Berlusconi"
- 03 Nov 17:01 VIDEO - 5 things... Real Madrid in fine form
- 02 Nov 23:07 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We lacked a bit of everything"
- 02 Nov 07:57 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann: "We'll fight to be group leaders"
- 01 Nov 23:10 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Tight and tough clash"
- 01 Nov 09:50 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi? I don't know what will happen"
- 31 Oct 20:46 REAL MADRID - Bale: "Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or"
- 30 Oct 19:05 Liga/ Sunday Afternoon FT scores, Matchaday 10
- 30 Oct 10:12 SEVILLA, Sampaoli: "We deserved more"
- 30 Oct 09:23 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "It was a strange game"
- 29 Oct 23:04 BARCELONA - Fernandez: "We will extend the top player contracts in the end of the season"
- 29 Oct 00:49 FC SEVILLE might pursue KISHNA again
- 28 Oct 16:52 BARCELONA - Rafinha: "Neymar the victim of a media campaign"
- 28 Oct 14:48 ATLETICO MADRID keen on Ascacibar
- 26 Oct 22:37 FC SEVILLE - Eyes on Udinese/Watford talent PENARANDA
- 26 Oct 20:02 OFFICIAL - REAL MADRID, Lucas Vazquez extends his deal until 2021
- 26 Oct 19:06 BARCELONA - Mathieu injured: out for three weeks
- 25 Oct 21:04 FC SEVILLE still keen on HOFFENHEIM's Rudy
- 24 Oct 19:55 GRANADA - Andreas PEREIRA wants to join United back and play first team
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
- 13 Oct 11:47 OFFICIAL - ATHLETIC BILBAO, Markel Susaeta extends until 2019
- 12 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 12 Oct 07:30 REAL MADRID, Casemiro: "I'll never join Barcelona"
- 11 Oct 18:37 Former Real Madrid star Michel SALGADO makes an offer for purchasing CELTA VIGO
- 11 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 10 Oct 21:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsalijko: "I would like to play, but I don't think to leave"
- 10 Oct 18:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsaljko aims to prove his worth to Simeone
- 10 Oct 17:14 REAL MADRID - Sergio Ramos will stop 10 days
- 08 Oct 22:51 REAL BETIS, Adán: "European top teams keen on me, but I love this club"
- 08 Oct 09:08 BARCELONA - Jordi Alba will stop for ten days
- 07 Oct 22:04 BARCELONA - Rakitic: "I don't play a lot, I don't what to say, I just work hard"
- 07 Oct 14:56 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi after new contract: "I'm happy and proud"
- 07 Oct 10:14 ARSENAL , Hleb: "Wenger like a father, he trusted me"
- 04 Oct 16:14 ATLETICO MADRID - Gabi set to sign contract extension
- 04 Oct 13:59 CROATIA - Rakitic stays in BARCELONA for an Achille's tendon injury
- 03 Oct 23:04 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo: "My son got only one idol: his dad"
- 03 Oct 19:18 VALENCIA v ATLETICO MADRID - Scouts from 9 clubs at Mestalla yesterday
- 03 Oct 16:32 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There is no crisis, but we got some problems"
- 03 Oct 11:52 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We can't carry on like this"
- 03 Oct 08:31 BARCELONA, Enrique: "I am the one responsible for this defeat"
- 01 Oct 19:27 REAL MADRID - Medical report on MODRIC
- 29 Sep 15:48 VALENCIA - Half fans not thrilled with PRANDELLI, according to poll
- 29 Sep 09:49 SEVILLE, Balague: “Wonderful seeing Nasri enjoying his football again”
- 28 Sep 12:47 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE: Iborra extends until 2020
- 27 Sep 14:44 VALENCIA - 5 names for managing position
- 27 Sep 11:49 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "Simeone told me he wanted another striker"
- 27 Sep 10:33 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann praises his manager Simeone
- 26 Sep 22:28 BARCELONA - Pique could be tempted by a move to the MLS
- 26 Sep 16:15 BARCELONA FC - 20 players called up for CL clash against 'Gladbach
- 25 Sep 21:29 ATLETICO MADRID - Augusto will undergo surgery, out seven months
- 25 Sep 13:46 Liga/ LEGANES v VALENCIA 1-2 FT
- 24 Sep 21:42 LIGA/ USD LAS PALMAS 2 VS 2 REAL MADRID
- 24 Sep 20:57 MALAGA, Al-Thani: "I fully trust Juande RAMOS"
- 24 Sep 11:32 REAL MADRID - Marcelo misses LAS PALMAS clash due to calf strain
- 23 Sep 13:06 Zidane : "Barcelona will miss Messi"
- 23 Sep 09:03 SPORTING GIJON - Douglas Pereira gets injured resting on the team bus
- 22 Sep 22:32 LIGA/ La Liga Results FT
- 22 Sep 12:03 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "We deserved to win with ATLETICO"
- 22 Sep 09:22 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "We did enough to win the game"
- 22 Sep 08:31 ATLETICO, Simeone: "In the second half we played the game we wanted"
- 09 Dec 18:43 WERDER BREMEN - Duel to Fortuna Dusseldorf and Greuther Furth on BUDIMBU
- 09 Dec 18:02 MANCHESTER UNITED to offer Fellaini to West Ham for signing PAYET
- 09 Dec 17:16 LAZIO - Suggestion for Serie A Ghanaian veteran MUNTARI
- 09 Dec 16:33 ARSENAL stop OZIL from pandering to Juventus flatteries
- 09 Dec 15:54 RB LEIPZIG willing to sign ITTER twins from WOLFSBURG
- 09 Dec 15:11 SUNDERLAND - A troubled Bundesliga suitor for KIRCHHOFF
- 09 Dec 14:28 NAPOLI willing to hijack DARMIAN from Inter Milan
- 09 Dec 13:49 TORINO - Eyes on Chievo's Lucas CASTRO
- 09 Dec 13:07 WEST HAM - Bilic wants STURRIDGE as a replacement for Zaza
- 09 Dec 12:22 SCHALKE 04 - Suitors for Soualiho MEITE increasing
- 09 Dec 11:45 PSG - A German suitor for 1999-born wonderkid ZAGADOU
- 09 Dec 11:03 CHELSEA plan groundbreaking summer offer for Alexis SANCHEZ
- 09 Dec 10:14 BARCELONA FC - 4 rivals in the race for UPAMECANO
- 09 Dec 09:32 OFFICIAL - NANTES sign Portuguese Sergio CONCEICAO as new manager
- 09 Dec 08:44 ARSENAL - Lead over AC Milan on BAZOER
- 09 Dec 01:57 EVERTON keen on DZAGOEV
- 09 Dec 01:14 CHELSEA ready to submit Boro a cash offer for GIBSON
- 09 Dec 00:35 HULL CITY - Goalie McGregor tracked by ASTON VILLA
- 08 Dec 21:12 STOKE CITY - Eyes on SMOLOV
- 08 Dec 19:47 EVERTON, Koeman: "We are looking for good winter window options"
- 08 Dec 18:23 CHELSEA, Willian: "Tottenham wanted me, but I told them 'sorry, I'll join Blues"
- 08 Dec 17:01 VALENCIA, Garcia Pitarch: "ZAZA? His salary is very high, but..."
- 08 Dec 14:42 SWANSEA CITY, Bradley: "Me getting sacked? I don't spent time on it. I knew it would have been a big challenge from the start"
- 08 Dec 11:56 OFFICIAL - KOVAC brothers sign new managerial contracts for EINTRACHT FRANKFURT
- 08 Dec 00:52 BAYERN MUNICH challenge 4 PL clubs on signing KOLASINAC
- 08 Dec 00:08 AC MILAN - Cash offer ready for Nice wonderkid KOZIELLO
- 07 Dec 23:24 PSG might sign veteran MAXWELL on a new contract
- 07 Dec 22:47 LORIENT might loan Lindsay ROSE out to BASTIA in January
- 07 Dec 22:06 AS ROMA - Suitors for RUDIGER increasing
- 07 Dec 21:19 VALENCIA - Lead on ZAZA
- 07 Dec 20:37 FC SEVILLE challenged by Sporting Lisbon on signing VANGIONI
- 07 Dec 19:54 BORDEAUX - A Greek suitor for THELIN
- 07 Dec 19:09 LIVERPOOL - Cash offer ready for signing KONDOGBIA
- 07 Dec 18:32 FC SEVILLE, Castro on BACCA: "A return of his wouldn't be simple"
- 07 Dec 17:51 ASTON VILLA - Czech striker KOZAK likely to resign
- 07 Dec 17:13 BESIKTAS challenge Juventus on Chelsea's IVANOVIC
- 07 Dec 16:28 AC MILAN - Rodrigo ELY to leave in January
- 07 Dec 15:44 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mou not giving up on Juventus' core-player BONUCCI
- 07 Dec 15:05 SOUTHAMPTON challenge Stoke City on CHOUPO-MOTING
- 07 Dec 14:20 DYNAMO KYIV - Eyes on former rival LUIZ ADRIANO
- 07 Dec 13:36 WEST HAM want MIGNOLET from Liverpool (if not signing Begovic)
- 07 Dec 12:53 AC MILAN - Duel to City, Inter and Roma on WIDMER
- 07 Dec 12:14 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer agrees on INTER MILAN summer move
- 07 Dec 11:27 LIVERPOOL loosening tension with SAKHO
- 07 Dec 10:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 clubs scouting AC MILAN wonderkid SPORTELLI
- 07 Dec 10:04 ATLETICO MADRID tempting Fiorentina star BERNARDESCHI
- 07 Dec 09:21 WEST HAM target United's FELLAINI
- 07 Dec 08:34 ZENIT, Witsel: "Joining JUVENTUS? It's not up to me"
- 07 Dec 01:59 INTER MILAN - 2 more loan suitors for GABIGOL
- 07 Dec 01:13 BARCELONA FC scouting Ajax talent CERNY
Playing for Rot-Weiß Oberhausen since 2015/16 second half, German-DR Congolese winger Arnold Budimbu (21), according to Der Westen, has been targeted by Werder Bremen management. Previously playing in FC Köln development area and second team, German
A free agent since last July, after his Saudi experience at Al-Ittihad ended, former Ghanaian international midfielder Sulley Ali Muntari (32), accord
Never lined up by Vincenzo Montella at AC Milan, Argentinian left-back Leonel Vangioni (29), according to O Jogo, has been targeted by Sporting Lisbon
Turning 35 next January 31, Scottish international goalkeeper Allan McGregor, according to Sky Sports UK, has been targeted by Aston Villa.
Playing in Paris Saint-Germain Under-19 squad and French Under-18 national team, 1999-born centre-back Dan-Axel Zagadou, turning 18 next Jun
Playing for Rot-Weiß Oberhausen since 2015/16 second half, German-DR Congolese winger Arnold Budimbu (21), according to Der Weste