REAL MADRID, Mourinho: "The players worked hard"
22.11.2012 08.35 by TM W
© foto di Alterphotos/Image Sport
José Mourinho spoke to the media after his 100th Champions League match. The Portuguese coach highlighted his team’s attitude towards defending the result in the final minutes: "I do not want to talk about the referees. The goal and the area are far from the bench and for me it was impossible to say whether or not it was a penalty, that is what for you are here for. The journalists are the ones who decide if it was a penalty or a red card. City have a great squad and we were down to ten men. We had to defend and we did not have a player like Essien on the bench, who would have been good at the time. The players worked hard and played very good match. We knew that the point would put us into the round of 16 without taking any risks".
The Portuguese analysed the match as follows: "We had several opportunities to score. The second goal would have finished match, we totally controlled the match. City reacted and it is amazing how this team, with these players, have had two years without getting through to the Champions League round of 16. They put us under pressure for a few minutes and then the penalty came with the sending off and the equaliser. Playing with ten against a team with thousands of attacking options, we defended well and got the draw. You have to play to draw the match, not to win. We qualified with a match left to play".
The Portuguese coach recalled a previous experience with Italian referee Rocchi: "I played a derby match between Inter and Milan in which most of the time I was with ten players, and end with nine, and there was also a nonexistent penalty. This time, the referee was next to the goal. I am calm and I have a ban pending. I appreciate the gift that UEFA presented me with, a very nice plaque for the 100 matches played in the Champions League. Imagine if we the ones who went out of this group".
The Real Madrid coach was asked in the press room if this match was among his worst memories in Champions: "I lost a semi-final with a goal that was not because the ball didn’t cross the line, one in which Pepe broke his tibia and Alves his fibula, others about penalties ... I’ve had worse moments in my Champions League career. This was a match is amongst the acceptable ones and not the dramatic ones".
The Real Madrid coach was also talked about the Benítez’s arrival at Chelsea and Silva's performance: "I'm never happy when another coach gets sacked. I feel sorry for the coach, their families ... also sympathise with the teams that they've trained and I want them to do well. I wish the best to Rafa Benítez. Silva is a great player, the great players do not know how to play badly".
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 25 Oct 21:04 FC SEVILLE still keen on HOFFENHEIM's Rudy
- 24 Oct 19:55 GRANADA - Andreas PEREIRA wants to join United back and play first team
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
- 13 Oct 11:47 OFFICIAL - ATHLETIC BILBAO, Markel Susaeta extends until 2019
- 12 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 12 Oct 07:30 REAL MADRID, Casemiro: "I'll never join Barcelona"
- 11 Oct 18:37 Former Real Madrid star Michel SALGADO makes an offer for purchasing CELTA VIGO
- 11 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 10 Oct 21:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsalijko: "I would like to play, but I don't think to leave"
- 10 Oct 18:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsaljko aims to prove his worth to Simeone
- 10 Oct 17:14 REAL MADRID - Sergio Ramos will stop 10 days
- 08 Oct 22:51 REAL BETIS, Adán: "European top teams keen on me, but I love this club"
- 08 Oct 09:08 BARCELONA - Jordi Alba will stop for ten days
- 07 Oct 22:04 BARCELONA - Rakitic: "I don't play a lot, I don't what to say, I just work hard"
- 07 Oct 14:56 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi after new contract: "I'm happy and proud"
- 07 Oct 10:14 ARSENAL , Hleb: "Wenger like a father, he trusted me"
- 04 Oct 16:14 ATLETICO MADRID - Gabi set to sign contract extension
- 04 Oct 13:59 CROATIA - Rakitic stays in BARCELONA for an Achille's tendon injury
- 03 Oct 23:04 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo: "My son got only one idol: his dad"
- 03 Oct 19:18 VALENCIA v ATLETICO MADRID - Scouts from 9 clubs at Mestalla yesterday
- 03 Oct 16:32 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There is no crisis, but we got some problems"
- 03 Oct 11:52 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We can't carry on like this"
- 03 Oct 08:31 BARCELONA, Enrique: "I am the one responsible for this defeat"
- 01 Oct 19:27 REAL MADRID - Medical report on MODRIC
- 29 Sep 15:48 VALENCIA - Half fans not thrilled with PRANDELLI, according to poll
- 29 Sep 09:49 SEVILLE, Balague: “Wonderful seeing Nasri enjoying his football again”
- 28 Sep 12:47 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE: Iborra extends until 2020
- 27 Sep 14:44 VALENCIA - 5 names for managing position
- 27 Sep 11:49 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "Simeone told me he wanted another striker"
- 27 Sep 10:33 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann praises his manager Simeone
- 26 Sep 22:28 BARCELONA - Pique could be tempted by a move to the MLS
- 26 Sep 16:15 BARCELONA FC - 20 players called up for CL clash against 'Gladbach
- 25 Sep 21:29 ATLETICO MADRID - Augusto will undergo surgery, out seven months
- 25 Sep 13:46 Liga/ LEGANES v VALENCIA 1-2 FT
- 24 Sep 21:42 LIGA/ USD LAS PALMAS 2 VS 2 REAL MADRID
- 24 Sep 20:57 MALAGA, Al-Thani: "I fully trust Juande RAMOS"
- 24 Sep 11:32 REAL MADRID - Marcelo misses LAS PALMAS clash due to calf strain
- 23 Sep 13:06 Zidane : "Barcelona will miss Messi"
- 23 Sep 09:03 SPORTING GIJON - Douglas Pereira gets injured resting on the team bus
- 22 Sep 22:32 LIGA/ La Liga Results FT
- 22 Sep 12:03 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "We deserved to win with ATLETICO"
- 22 Sep 09:22 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "We did enough to win the game"
- 22 Sep 08:31 ATLETICO, Simeone: "In the second half we played the game we wanted"
- 20 Sep 17:22 BARCA-Umtiti out of Atletico clash
- 20 Sep 17:13 Luis Enrique-"Barca have to beat Atleti to win La Liga"
- 18 Sep 20:47 Liga/ Espanyol 0 vs 1 Real Madrid HT
- 18 Sep 19:46 Liga/Espanyol vs Real Madrid; starting line up
- 18 Sep 13:03 LIGA/ OSASUNA 0-0 CELTA VIGO - FT
- 18 Sep 11:17 VALENCIA - Garay injured, out 2-3 weeks
- 17 Sep 20:35 Diego Simeone : Griezmann deserves Balon D'or
- 17 Sep 17:00 LIGA BBVA/ ATLETICO MADRID 5-0 SPORTING GIJON - FT
- 17 Sep 14:51 LIGA - LLEGANES 1-5 BARCELONA - Full Time
- 17 Sep 09:59 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "I am here because I want to be here"
- 16 Sep 16:30 OFFICIAL - Young goalie Domenech extends for VALENCIA
- 16 Sep 12:16 BARCELONA - Umtiti: "I like to play against Messi, Neymar and Suarez in training"
- 15 Sep 12:00 BARCELONA -Neymar transfer to Blaugrana investigated
- 14 Sep 16:23 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Granada target Kevin-Prince BOATENG
- 13 Sep 16:15 OFFICIAL - Roberto ROSALES extends for MALAGA
- 12 Sep 15:45 OFFICIAL - Alvarez and Yesga signed on first pro contract by ATHLETIC BILBAO
- 11 Sep 14:29 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I should be offered a ten-year deal"
- 09 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos celebrates 11 Blancos years: "My presentation jersey is still with me, at home"
- 08 Sep 16:30 BARCELONA FC, Alcacer's first conference: "Improving will be easier, due to such champions being here"
- 08 Sep 14:15 REAL MADRID, CR7: "I'm fine"
- 08 Sep 08:05 VALENCIA, Munir: "We will achieve qualification to Champions League"
- 07 Sep 19:45 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We are aiming to Liga. Wales? We want to keep on making history"
- 07 Sep 16:15 REAL BETIS - Veteran RUBEN CASTRO about to extend
- 07 Sep 15:15 BARCELONA FC - MESSI back training with squad
- 06 Sep 20:13 CELTA VIGO star Orellana out for 4 weeks
- 06 Sep 19:31 SEVILLE signing Nasri could miss next game
- 06 Sep 15:00 REAL MADRID - Figo: "Ronaldo could join Barcelona"
- 06 Sep 14:47 BARCELONA - Arroyo: "Being in the United States will help to obtain new sources"
- 06 Sep 13:33 SEVILLA - President Castro about Navas: "This year no interest or negotiation"
- 06 Sep 10:49 REAL MADRID not sure on extending Pepe's deal: it expires in June 2017
- 05 Sep 21:29 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I am pleased Mahrez decided to stay at Leicester"
- 05 Sep 19:04 VALENCIA - Nani: "I wanted to play in La Liga: a big chance for me"
- 05 Sep 09:19 BARCELONA star Alba believes Alcacer is a 'great signing'
- 04 Sep 15:50 REAL MADRID stas Bale and Kroos offered a new contract
- 03 Sep 18:31 MALAGA star Camacho happy to stay despite WEST BROM interest
- 03 Sep 12:30 GRANADA - Angulo fails doping test after a game played on 20 July with former team
- 02 Sep 16:03 REAL MADRID - No serious injury for MORATA, he will stay with SPAIN
- 01 Sep 19:39 OFFICIAL - Diego REYES joins ESPANYOL
- 31 Aug 14:40 OFFICIAL - GRANADA sign Israeli winger ATZILI
- 30 Aug 23:41 OFFICIAL - KRAVETS joins GRANADA
- 30 Aug 20:46 OFFICIAL - Borja VIGUERA joins Sporting GIJON
- 28 Aug 09:30 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We must work hard to look what we're looking for"
- 26 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - Barça loan DOUGLAS to Sporting Gijón
- 25 Aug 18:15 David LOPEZ about to join ESPANYOL back: numbers on the trade
- 24 Aug 14:16 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I'll never forget this year"
- 22 Aug 21:00 OFFICIAL - Nicolas Pareja extends for SEVILLE
Lewandowski joined Bayern on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 and is currently under contract with the German champions until 2019. Sportowe Fakty claims the Poland international has agreed to extend his deal until 2021, which will earn last season's Bundesliga
Juventus vice-president Pavel Nedved told the media after today’s shareholders’ assembly at Juventus Stadium:
“I would say that J
A powerhouse for Hoffenheim, which he's playing for since 2010/11, German international defensive midfielder/full-back Sebastian Rudy (2
Paris Saint-Germain defender Marquinhos has played down rumours linking him with a move to Barcelona, and insists he is happy with life in the France
Lewandowski joined Bayern on a free transfer from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 and is currently under contract with the German champions until 2019. Spor