MANCHESTER CITY, Mancini: "Big spending is the only way to win the title"
© foto di Federico De Luca
Roberto Mancini has defended Manchester City's spending splurge, claiming buying big is the only way to win the title.
Mancini has already splashed out £59million this summer to take the Blues' outlay under Sheikh Mansour to a staggering £265million in less than two years.
City are set to break the £100million barrier for the second summer running and Mancini wants to add a full-back and a striker to his signings of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.
Mancini claims City's big spending is nothing new and says every title-winning side in Europe's top leagues have splashed the cash.
"Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer," said the City manager.
"Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money.
"This is not a new thing. It is hard to win trophies anywhere if you do not invest in the team in areas where you can improve. That's what we have done this summer."
Despite hammering Sheikh Mansour's chequebook, Mancini claims he will still give the club's Academy players a chance.
He has brought 11 young players on City's three-week long US tour and pointed to his blooding of the likes of Gregory Cunningham, Abdisalam Ibrahim and Dedryck Boyota last season as proof of his commitment to the club's youth system.
"In my first half season at the club Cunningham, Nimeley, Nielsen, Ibrahim and Boyata were all given debuts," he said. "That didn't happen at many clubs.
"That will continue where possible this season too. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to bringing through and developing our own talent.
"We have young players here training with the first team and it's great experience for them. They have great enthusiasm and they will learn much from the trip. It is important that they know that there is a path to the first team there for them."
As well as Sheikh Mansour's billions, Mancini has called in the A-Team to make City successful and he has given a trial to Roland Benedict, the son of one of the stars of the 1980s' TV show.
Roland's dad, Dirk, played Face in the hit US series, starring alongside Mr T and George Peppard.
Roland, 20, had a spell with Gillingham two years ago and has returned to England from America, determined to make a career as a professional footballer.
Dirk, 63, said: "Roland has played soccer since he was four years old and always wanted to play in England so I said 'let's go for it'. He's quite good."
Roland, who made a name for himself on the college basketball circuit last year, claims his dad has been a great help.
"I got the fundamental side from my dad," he said. "I wouldn't be as good a player without him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 29 Apr 10:42 SUNDERLAND , Borini: "Difficult a comeback to Italy"
- 29 Apr 10:21 VILLAREAL, Marcelino: "A bit closer to the Final"
- 29 Apr 10:09 FIORENTINA - Join the chase for Driussi
- 29 Apr 10:00 LIVERPOOL, Free Ings costs Reds 6.5M pounds
- 29 Apr 09:59 TOTTENHAM - Alli banned
- 29 Apr 09:46 LAZIO - Biglia to leave
- 29 Apr 09:30 WEST HAM - Bilic wants to stop Cresswell from leaving
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 29 Apr 09:15 WOLFSBURG - A Chinese suitor for Luiz Gustavo
- 29 Apr 09:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Back for Dragovic
- 29 Apr 08:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Benatia more and more likely to join
- 29 Apr 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "Several important clubs on him, but not it's time for the pitch"
- 29 Apr 08:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea call Piazon and Hector back
- 29 Apr 08:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, James Rodriguez's agent working on future away from Blancos: in talks with 2 top clubs
- 29 Apr 01:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, One more suitor for Sule
- 29 Apr 01:15 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Crecco on target
- 29 Apr 01:00 HOLLAND/ AJAX, El Ghazi wants Premier League: Liverpool probing waters
- 29 Apr 00:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 29 Apr 00:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Moving towards Parigini
- 29 Apr 00:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Bradley Dack
- 29 Apr 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Santon towards departure: 5 suitors for him
- 28 Apr 23:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina willing to hijack Budimir from Lazio
- 28 Apr 23:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Fritz renews for Werder one year longer
- 28 Apr 23:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cash amount ready for signing Rudiger
- 28 Apr 23:02 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Willing to use option for bringing Danny Da Costa back from Ingolstadt
- 28 Apr 22:49 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Van Aanholt
- 28 Apr 22:22 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shay Logan renews for Aberdeen
- 28 Apr 21:56 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA FC (FT)
- 28 Apr 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool Full-Time report
- 28 Apr 21:47 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA
- 28 Apr 21:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo, duel to Torino on Ferrari
- 28 Apr 21:15 BARCELONA - Target Lacazette
- 28 Apr 21:03 SPAIN/ LAS PALMAS, Roque Mesa's agent: "Fiorentina? Yes, they are interested. Several surveys from England, Germany and Italy"
- 28 Apr 20:57 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2- 1 SEVILLA (HT)
- 28 Apr 20:53 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 0-0 Liverpool Half-Time report
- 28 Apr 20:49 INTER MILAN - Rumours of Toure link put down
- 28 Apr 20:28 CHELSEA - Recall two players
- 28 Apr 20:03 BARCELONA - Turan wants to stay
- 28 Apr 19:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Ancelotti wants Pjanic: duel to past club of his Chelsea
- 28 Apr 19:43 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal v Liverpool Official Line-Ups
- 28 Apr 19:20 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Hummels makes desire to move official
- 28 Apr 17:57 ASTON VILLA - Black: "I've never seen a team surrounded by such negativity"
- 28 Apr 17:40 WATFORD - Sanchez Flores: "At the end of the season we will talk"
- 28 Apr 17:21 ROMA - El Shaarawy wants to stay
- 28 Apr 17:18 TOTTENHAM - Eriksen extension depends on Pochettino's future
- 28 Apr 16:56 LIVERPOOL - Keeping tabs on Ivan Perisic
- 28 Apr 16:43 TORINO - Paredes first target
- 28 Apr 16:28 ARSENAL - Kante for Arsenal
- 28 Apr 16:00 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster not thinking about Chelsea rumours
- 28 Apr 15:32 EVERTON - Jagielka could miss rest of season
Likely to leave Bayern Munich after two seasons, unless Carlo Ancelotti unexpectedly calls his yield off, Moroccan international centre-back Medhi Benatia (29) is getting more and more likely to join Juventus, which will probably succeed in landing him on an about 20 million
Fiorentina are reportedly keen on Sebastian Driussi, who currently plays for River Plate.
The 20-years-old striker has been targeted also by Inter
O Jogo reveals that Leonardo Jardim could be appointed by Valencia as Jorge Mendes has suggested him to the Liga side.
Fabio Borini told SkySport: "I do not think there's the possibility now to set for a comeback."
"Sometimes I miss my
Rennes managed a late goal to draw the game at home to Monaco.
RENNES 1 - 1 MONACO
Sio 81' Costa 14
According to Marca Barcelona are interested in signing Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno.
Blaugrana have reportedly targeted the 24-