MANCHESTER CITY, Mancini: "Big spending is the only way to win the title"
© foto di Federico De Luca
Roberto Mancini has defended Manchester City's spending splurge, claiming buying big is the only way to win the title.
Mancini has already splashed out £59million this summer to take the Blues' outlay under Sheikh Mansour to a staggering £265million in less than two years.
City are set to break the £100million barrier for the second summer running and Mancini wants to add a full-back and a striker to his signings of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.
Mancini claims City's big spending is nothing new and says every title-winning side in Europe's top leagues have splashed the cash.
"Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer," said the City manager.
"Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money.
"This is not a new thing. It is hard to win trophies anywhere if you do not invest in the team in areas where you can improve. That's what we have done this summer."
Despite hammering Sheikh Mansour's chequebook, Mancini claims he will still give the club's Academy players a chance.
He has brought 11 young players on City's three-week long US tour and pointed to his blooding of the likes of Gregory Cunningham, Abdisalam Ibrahim and Dedryck Boyota last season as proof of his commitment to the club's youth system.
"In my first half season at the club Cunningham, Nimeley, Nielsen, Ibrahim and Boyata were all given debuts," he said. "That didn't happen at many clubs.
"That will continue where possible this season too. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to bringing through and developing our own talent.
"We have young players here training with the first team and it's great experience for them. They have great enthusiasm and they will learn much from the trip. It is important that they know that there is a path to the first team there for them."
As well as Sheikh Mansour's billions, Mancini has called in the A-Team to make City successful and he has given a trial to Roland Benedict, the son of one of the stars of the 1980s' TV show.
Roland's dad, Dirk, played Face in the hit US series, starring alongside Mr T and George Peppard.
Roland, 20, had a spell with Gillingham two years ago and has returned to England from America, determined to make a career as a professional footballer.
Dirk, 63, said: "Roland has played soccer since he was four years old and always wanted to play in England so I said 'let's go for it'. He's quite good."
Roland, who made a name for himself on the college basketball circuit last year, claims his dad has been a great help.
"I got the fundamental side from my dad," he said. "I wouldn't be as good a player without him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerìn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, It’s 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 07 Feb 12:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "If you love football, you love Rosicky"
- 07 Feb 06:59 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "A bit frustrated about the transfer market"
- 06 Feb 18:43 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "There will be a special atmosphere. We'll have to be cautious defense-wise"
- 06 Feb 16:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Welbeck is back. Bielik? He's coming very well"
- 06 Feb 15:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Koscielny: "Bellerin and Coquelin will help us a lot, they are ready"
- 06 Feb 06:19 LEICESTER, Pearson: "Quite happy with the transfer market"
- 05 Feb 20:30 BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL, Possible new smoke-related crisis for Wilshere
- 05 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "There's a great goalkeeping tradition in Colombia. I've been always dreaming of Premier League"
- 05 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Sanchez injured: no city derby against Tottenham for Chilean star
- 05 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Happy that I didn't join West Ham"
- 04 Feb 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Leaving is the best solution"
- 03 Feb 17:39 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Gilberto is a mirror for me"
- 03 Feb 11:09 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "I’m going to be part of such a big club"
- 02 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Drogba: "I will play here in the next season"
- 02 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 04 Mar 19:22 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Lahm: "I might not retire in 2018 after all"
- 04 Mar 19:05 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Zouma is Terry's successor"
- 04 Mar 18:48 FRANCE/ PSG, Maxwell's agent: "Close to new deal"
- 04 Mar 18:33 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil must improve
- 04 Mar 18:16 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, No decision on Falcao yet
- 04 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "We have the chance to sign Nastasic"
- 04 Mar 17:47 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Eye on Sergi Darder
- 04 Mar 17:35 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone in touch with Cavani
- 04 Mar 17:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Lacazette for the next season
- 04 Mar 17:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Also Rodgers for the after Pellegrini
- 04 Mar 16:26 FRANCE/ O.M, Bielsa: "If I stay depend on the club"
- 04 Mar 16:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Eye on Dendoncker
- 04 Mar 16:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Scouts to observe in Brazil Kenedy
- 04 Mar 15:29 ITALY/ JUVE, Tevez and a deal not signed yet
- 04 Mar 15:16 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Alves'agent: "In advanced talks with other club"
- 04 Mar 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Duel to AC Milan on Valdifiori
- 04 Mar 14:45 WEST HAM & LIVERPOOL, Both willing to purchase Song from Barça
- 04 Mar 14:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Renewal offer submitted to Seydou Keita
- 04 Mar 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, A new suitor for Jovetic
- 04 Mar 14:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Eyes on Croatian youngster Coric
- 04 Mar 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Kramer on target again
- 04 Mar 13:29 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Attempt for Ricardo Rodriguez ready
- 04 Mar 13:14 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Boateng: "I rejected Barcelona"
- 04 Mar 12:57 GERMANY/ FC NURNBERG, Schopf likely to extend
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 12:30 REAL MADRID & MANCHESTER UNITED, Final duel for Danilo
- 04 Mar 12:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Soldado might be the key for signing Bacca
- 04 Mar 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger admits he got it wrong when he tried to dump Coquelin
- 04 Mar 11:45 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Survey on Di Santo
- 04 Mar 11:29 ITALY/ INTER, Podolski: he will be sent back to Arsenal if...
- 04 Mar 11:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer for Calleri
- 04 Mar 11:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Bonera might renew
- 04 Mar 10:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Willing to hire Jorginho back from Hellas
- 04 Mar 10:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Duel to Liverpool and Real Madrid on Vietto
- 04 Mar 10:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Edy Reja is the new Atalanta manager
- 04 Mar 10:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Estoril fire José Couceiro
- 04 Mar 09:40 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Still keen on Handanovic
- 04 Mar 09:17 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Astra fire Protassov
- 04 Mar 08:57 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Plan for Berardi
- 04 Mar 08:39 FRANCE/ LILLE, Trying to keep Lopes
- 04 Mar 08:19 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Granat will join Spartak
- 04 Mar 08:00 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Dreaming Guidetti
- 04 Mar 07:40 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dnipro sign Gueye
- 04 Mar 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Misimovic retires
- 04 Mar 06:57 MONTPELLIER, Nicollin: "If Mounier wants to leave.."
- 04 Mar 06:39 BAYERN, Guardiola: "I am happy here and I will stay"
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 04 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto's agent: "Many clubs after him"
- 04 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Neto's agent: "Juve? We'll see.."
- 03 Mar 23:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Torres renews with Malaga
Lahm has exclusively revealed he may renege on his claim that he will retire from football in 2018.
The Bayern Munich captain, who quit international football after winning the World Cup with Germany in 2014, claimed upon signing a new four-year deal with his club side last su
Interviewed by gianlucadimarzio.com, Stefano Castagna -agent of 25-year-old goalkeeper Neto, whose contract with Fiorentina will expire at the end of
Interviewed by AS, Jorge Cysterpiller, agent of Villarreal forward Luciano Vietto, has declared: "Many important clubs are after hi,. He could jo
Arsenal boast three billionaires listed on Forbes annual rich list.
Alisher Usmanov, who owns 15 per cent of the north London club, is the richest
Interviewed by TMW, OM president Vincente Labrune has declared about the possibility for his team's head coach Marcelo Bielsa to join Inter Milan:
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared: "I will remain here for a long time, because I am very happy at Bayern. I want to honor my contra