MANCHESTER CITY, Mancini: "Big spending is the only way to win the title"
© foto di Federico De Luca
Roberto Mancini has defended Manchester City's spending splurge, claiming buying big is the only way to win the title.
Mancini has already splashed out £59million this summer to take the Blues' outlay under Sheikh Mansour to a staggering £265million in less than two years.
City are set to break the £100million barrier for the second summer running and Mancini wants to add a full-back and a striker to his signings of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.
Mancini claims City's big spending is nothing new and says every title-winning side in Europe's top leagues have splashed the cash.
"Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer," said the City manager.
"Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money.
"This is not a new thing. It is hard to win trophies anywhere if you do not invest in the team in areas where you can improve. That's what we have done this summer."
Despite hammering Sheikh Mansour's chequebook, Mancini claims he will still give the club's Academy players a chance.
He has brought 11 young players on City's three-week long US tour and pointed to his blooding of the likes of Gregory Cunningham, Abdisalam Ibrahim and Dedryck Boyota last season as proof of his commitment to the club's youth system.
"In my first half season at the club Cunningham, Nimeley, Nielsen, Ibrahim and Boyata were all given debuts," he said. "That didn't happen at many clubs.
"That will continue where possible this season too. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to bringing through and developing our own talent.
"We have young players here training with the first team and it's great experience for them. They have great enthusiasm and they will learn much from the trip. It is important that they know that there is a path to the first team there for them."
As well as Sheikh Mansour's billions, Mancini has called in the A-Team to make City successful and he has given a trial to Roland Benedict, the son of one of the stars of the 1980s' TV show.
Roland's dad, Dirk, played Face in the hit US series, starring alongside Mr T and George Peppard.
Roland, 20, had a spell with Gillingham two years ago and has returned to England from America, determined to make a career as a professional footballer.
Dirk, 63, said: "Roland has played soccer since he was four years old and always wanted to play in England so I said 'let's go for it'. He's quite good."
Roland, who made a name for himself on the college basketball circuit last year, claims his dad has been a great help.
"I got the fundamental side from my dad," he said. "I wouldn't be as good a player without him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 24 Nov 14:15 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We can defeat Dortmund at Emirates and qualify for CL final 16"
- 24 Nov 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "No offers for Cech"
- 23 Nov 06:59 SOTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin's future? We'll see,,"
- 23 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after United failure: "We dominated for most of the game"
- 22 Nov 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "We are seeking a forward"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 19 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Sometimes I get nervous watching my teammates' games"
- 19 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "Games against United and Dortmund might get us on top"
- 19 Nov 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "Arnautović will stay"
- 18 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Nov 19:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Now we must be all ready to fight. This season has been a rollercoaster up to now"
- 17 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I want to be back in December. I'm improving a lot here, quality-wise"
- 17 Nov 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "PSG was an option, but.."
- 16 Nov 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Pochettino is not to blame"
- 16 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on NT specificities: "Poland have very good goalies, Italians defend better. Spanish ones are the most technical, English go on fighting spirit, German are balanced"
- 15 Nov 06:29 WEST HAM, Gold: "Zarate doesn't want to leave"
- 14 Nov 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 13 Nov 06:15 Southampton, Schneiderlin: "I want to play for a big club"
- 12 Nov 19:29 ARSENAL, Ospina: "I started as a striker. I'm doing my best in one of the best clubs worldwide"
- 12 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, Anderson: "I could move back to Grèmio"
- 11 Nov 19:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Valdes is training with reserve squad, hope we'll know more about him soon"
- 10 Nov 17:23 ARSENAL, Olsson: "The most important thing is that I get to play on as high level "
- 10 Nov 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I could have moved back to Italy"
- 09 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I didn't want Fabianski to leave. Swansea are a tough opponent"
- 08 Nov 13:00 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott needs some time"
- 08 Nov 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We don't want to sell Touré"
- 07 Nov 09:17 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere's back, Arteta will be out"
- 07 Nov 06:39 STOKE, Bojan: "I am happy here"
- 06 Nov 21:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "My priority is helping defence, since we are a very offensive team"
- 06 Nov 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Lucas: "Napoli were after me"
- 05 Nov 06:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on 3-3 against Anderlecht: "We got punished. Losing Arteta was fatal"
- 04 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL, Arteta on Chambers: "I'm pleased by his bravery, he's so confident"
- 04 Nov 17:15 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "He hasn't got to be obsessed with scoring goals"
- 03 Nov 15:14 ARSENAL, Wenger: "England must be cautious with Walcott"
- 03 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Chambers: "Scoring has been a dream for me"
- 03 Nov 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez is one of those players who can make the difference"
- 02 Nov 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "We were after Ulloa"
- 31 Oct 16:30 ARSENAL v BURNLEY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere won't probably be available"
- 31 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I feel confident here. Champions League debut gave me goosebumps"
- 31 Oct 06:59 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign a defender"
- 30 Oct 06:29 QPR, Isla turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Oct 17:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "My priority is having a good time when I play football"
- 29 Oct 07:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing that got me back is my pride"
- 28 Oct 12:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I'm comfortable with Flamini, we made Sanchez more free. Now we need to be consistent"
- 28 Oct 11:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Sanchez is an unbelievable player"
- 28 Oct 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Paulinho won't join Corinthians"
- 27 Oct 15:00 LIVERPOOL, Del Piero on Balotelli's failure: "He needs to put his own mind together in order to have his technique count"
- 24 Oct 20:30 SUNDERLAND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott is not ready"
- 24 Oct 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "CL victory helped increasing confidence, but we must reshuffle our defence"
- 24 Oct 06:29 WBA, Irvine: "Berahino? We don't need to sell.."
- 23 Oct 15:15 ANDERLECHT, Hasi furious after Arsenal defeat: "We'd have deserved to win, referee should take full responsibility"
- 23 Oct 14:30 CHELSEA, Terry satisfied: "We are showing all our depth"
- 23 Oct 13:59 Carragher: "Balotelli will be sold before next season"
- 23 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on triumph over Anderlecht: "We won thanks not to have conceded a second goal after their 1-0"
- 23 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Vertonghen going nowhere"
- 22 Oct 14:15 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger on Martinez: "I am extremely confident in him"
- 22 Oct 13:30 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Hasi: "We'll have to stop Sanchez"
- 22 Oct 12:00 ANDERLECHT v ARSENAL, Champions League Preview - Wenger: "Martinez will play as a goalkeeper"
- 22 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I would like to work in Spain one day"
- 21 Oct 15:00 ARSENAL, Monreal on Bellerin: "He's got a great career ahead of him"
- 21 Oct 12:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Full responsibility on us, but Hull's first goal was not regular"
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Soon we'll talk with Bony's agents"
- 19 Oct 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Shawcross going nowhere"
- 17 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Yedlin could join us in January"
- 16 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Veljkovic: "I am leaving on loan"
- 15 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "Replacing Wenger will be a challenge"
- 14 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Ozil turns out transfer rumors
- 13 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I don't want to leave"
- 11 Oct 06:29 SUNDERLAND. Altidore: "If I won't get to play, I will leave"
- 10 Oct 06:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am not happy with situation"
- 09 Oct 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am happy here"
- 09 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Pallotta: "Strootman not for sale"
- 08 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Criticism has made me stronger"
- 07 Oct 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Toure doesn't want to leave"
- 04 Oct 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Milan no longer after Taarabt"
- 01 Oct 06:19 MAN. CITY, Hart: "Italy? I am happy here"
- 30 Sep 20:00 ARSENAL v GALATASARAY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere is available"
- 30 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "One day I will return to Rosario"
- 29 Sep 06:29 CHELSEA. Hazard: "Back to France? Maybe one day, but for Lille"
- 28 Sep 06:59 CHELSEA, Rémy: "I was never joining Arsenal"
- 27 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Flamini: "When I joined Gunners first, I was told about the derby with Tottenham"
- 27 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Dier: "We'll do our best for making Spurs' fans happy"
- 27 Sep 14:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Wenger: "Important meaning and moment of the season"
- 27 Sep 13:00 ARSENAL v TOTTENHAM - London derby preview - Arteta: "Pochettino was a father to me. Defeating Spurs is vital"
- 27 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "I have signed until January, I can't say more"
- 26 Sep 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I think Mario is potentially world class"
- 26 Sep 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez dismisses Barkley rumours
- 25 Sep 21:17 ARSENAL, Wenger: "You understand a young player's mind features when you watch him playing"
- 25 Sep 20:20 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain looking forward to London derby: "Victories over Spurs are the sweetest ones"
- 25 Sep 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Flamini might be on for the derby"
- 26 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 25 Nov 23:27 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti has refused United's offer
- 25 Nov 22:57 ITALY/ AC MILAN, First offer for Brozovic
- 25 Nov 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Asensio confirmed
- 25 Nov 18:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Eyes on Egwuekwe
- 25 Nov 18:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Shenton
- 25 Nov 18:15 ITALY/ INTER, Mission for Lavezzi
- 25 Nov 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Kovacic
- 25 Nov 17:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Schär
- 25 Nov 17:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Van Beek on target
- 25 Nov 17:15 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for Lucas Silva ready
- 25 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, AC MILAN & PSG: Opening on Dani Alves for January
- 25 Nov 16:45 SWITZERLAND/ FC BASEL, Keen on Janjatovic
- 25 Nov 16:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Barnetta might get playing in Switzerland
- 25 Nov 16:15 ENGLAND/ QPR, Cvitanich on target
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 25 Nov 15:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Approaching Maloney
- 25 Nov 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Survey on Iñaki Williams
- 25 Nov 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on young Amavi
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Approaching Vieirinha
- 25 Nov 14:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Kranjcar willing to stay
- 25 Nov 14:30 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Eyes on Ferjani Sassi
- 25 Nov 14:16 FC SEVILLE, VALENCIA & TORINO: All back on Pandev
- 25 Nov 13:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL,Podolski: " I like the club, but I don't like the situation"
- 25 Nov 13:45 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Keen on Zahovic
- 25 Nov 13:30 FRANCE/ RENNES, 2 Premier League suitors for Makoun
- 25 Nov 13:14 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Offer for Ilicic
- 25 Nov 13:01 FRANCE/ PSG, Extremely high offer for Di Maria ready
- 25 Nov 12:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Always more interested in Chirivella
- 25 Nov 12:33 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Henry could be set for coaching role at Arsenal
- 25 Nov 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini wants Lavezzi
- 25 Nov 12:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart: Huub Stevens is the new coach
- 25 Nov 11:43 ARSENAL, chief Usmanov: "Wenger must admit mistakes"
- 25 Nov 11:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool observe Reus
- 25 Nov 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eye on Schar
- 25 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Bruce confident Hull will bounce back from 3 defeats in a row
- 25 Nov 10:27 ITALY/ PALERMO, Milanovic likely to leave
- 25 Nov 09:58 FRANCE/ MONACO, Toulalan ready to leave
- 25 Nov 09:29 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bussmann extends for FC Metz
- 25 Nov 08:57 ITALY/ PALERMO, Eyes on Hristov
- 25 Nov 00:20 FRANCE/ PSG; BLANC: "Against Ajax we'll play faithfully
- 24 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "A return to Inter ? Impossible"
- 24 Nov 21:00 INTER, Paris Saint-Germain v Inter, friendly in Marrakech
- 24 Nov 20:40 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Di Matteo: "Chelsea remain the favourite in the group"
- 24 Nov 20:20 ITALY/ AS ROMA, De Sanctis: "In my career I have played many times in difficult conditions."
- 24 Nov 20:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Against CSKA it will not be easy"
- 24 Nov 18:44 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Ramos is no doctor"
- 24 Nov 18:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Courtois: "Cech? Quiet normal that is not happy"
- 24 Nov 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Offered a 5-year deal to Odegaard
- 24 Nov 17:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Basilea: Streller and Embolo extended
After a long negotiation, Brazilian international right backwing, midfielder and winger Dani Alves (31) seems to have finally decided not to have his own deal with Barcelona FC extended beyond June 2015, according to El Mundo Deportivo. Playing for Blaugrana since 2008/09 and equ
Interviewed by Radio Toscana, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus 27-year-old attacking midfielder Sebsatian Giovinco, has declared: "Sebastiam
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared about Lionel Messi: "I have talkes with his father Jorge two days ago, and my impression is
Talking about tomorrow potentially decisive home Champions League game against Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny commented:
Laurent Blanc, Paris Saint-Germain coach has spoken in the press conference of Champions league match.
"What changed for us between the draw in
Bayer Leverkusen 23-year-old midfielder Christoph Kramer, currently on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach, has declared: "I am very happy in M