MANCHESTER CITY, Mancini: "Big spending is the only way to win the title"
© foto di Federico De Luca
Roberto Mancini has defended Manchester City's spending splurge, claiming buying big is the only way to win the title.
Mancini has already splashed out £59million this summer to take the Blues' outlay under Sheikh Mansour to a staggering £265million in less than two years.
City are set to break the £100million barrier for the second summer running and Mancini wants to add a full-back and a striker to his signings of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.
Mancini claims City's big spending is nothing new and says every title-winning side in Europe's top leagues have splashed the cash.
"Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer," said the City manager.
"Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money.
"This is not a new thing. It is hard to win trophies anywhere if you do not invest in the team in areas where you can improve. That's what we have done this summer."
Despite hammering Sheikh Mansour's chequebook, Mancini claims he will still give the club's Academy players a chance.
He has brought 11 young players on City's three-week long US tour and pointed to his blooding of the likes of Gregory Cunningham, Abdisalam Ibrahim and Dedryck Boyota last season as proof of his commitment to the club's youth system.
"In my first half season at the club Cunningham, Nimeley, Nielsen, Ibrahim and Boyata were all given debuts," he said. "That didn't happen at many clubs.
"That will continue where possible this season too. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to bringing through and developing our own talent.
"We have young players here training with the first team and it's great experience for them. They have great enthusiasm and they will learn much from the trip. It is important that they know that there is a path to the first team there for them."
As well as Sheikh Mansour's billions, Mancini has called in the A-Team to make City successful and he has given a trial to Roland Benedict, the son of one of the stars of the 1980s' TV show.
Roland's dad, Dirk, played Face in the hit US series, starring alongside Mr T and George Peppard.
Roland, 20, had a spell with Gillingham two years ago and has returned to England from America, determined to make a career as a professional footballer.
Dirk, 63, said: "Roland has played soccer since he was four years old and always wanted to play in England so I said 'let's go for it'. He's quite good."
Roland, who made a name for himself on the college basketball circuit last year, claims his dad has been a great help.
"I got the fundamental side from my dad," he said. "I wouldn't be as good a player without him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 02 Jan 19:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Gerrard's farewell: "An immense player, an incomparable leader and man. The word legend doesn't do him justice"
- 02 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I love this club"
- 01 Jan 07:00 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "The transfer market? We won't be busy"
- 31 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "It was tough to watch"
- 31 Dec 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "I want to keep Shelvey"
- 30 Dec 12:21 ARSENAL, Gibbs: "I want to become a great player"
- 30 Dec 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Stambouli: "No regrets about coming here"
- 29 Dec 15:44 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We defended with spirit"
- 29 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 28 Dec 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 26 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL v QPR - Boxing Day Preview - Giroud: "Happy to hear headers aren't my best quality"
- 25 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger: "Balance in rotation is very hard to find"
- 25 Dec 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? You never know.."
- 24 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Szczesny: "Austin could be a role model for young English players"
- 24 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Mertesacker: "He had a difficult start, but he's got sharper"
- 24 Dec 06:59 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "No enquiries for Berahino"
- 23 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger on team news: "Rosicky and Sanogo will be certainly back"
- 23 Dec 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I like Morrison"
- 22 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm not pleased by our performance, but we take a good point achieved at Liverpool"
- 22 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Flamini after 2-2 at Liverpool: "We'll improve as we recover injured players"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 01 Feb 02:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew wants to hire Zaha back from United
- 01 Feb 01:37 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Wellington Paulista joins Coritiba on loan from Internacional
- 01 Feb 01:17 ENGLAND/ QPR, 2 UAE suitors for Taarabt
- 01 Feb 00:59 ITALY/ LAZIO, Working on Gignac for next summer
- 01 Feb 00:39 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Eskisehirspor sign Serdar Bingol
- 01 Feb 00:20 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Fuchs offered to AS Roma
- 01 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL & LIVERPOOL, Reopening on Arda Turan
- 31 Jan 23:39 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, In talks with Mpoku
- 31 Jan 23:20 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Fletcher unlikely to join
- 31 Jan 23:00 SWITZERLAND/ FC BASEL, 3 suitors for Marcelo Diaz
- 31 Jan 22:37 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Majestic offer submitted to Besiktas for Gokhan Tore
- 31 Jan 22:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Mavuba on target
- 31 Jan 21:59 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for Borriello: waiting for an answer
- 31 Jan 21:39 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Approaching Ben Yedder for 2016
- 31 Jan 21:20 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Trabzonspor loan Emre Gural
- 31 Jan 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Lead on Cassano over FC Sion
- 31 Jan 20:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, AS Monaco sign Matheus Carvalho
- 31 Jan 20:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City loan Topliss out
- 31 Jan 19:59 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Ibarbo is near: the sums
- 31 Jan 19:39 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Arouca joins Palmeiras
- 31 Jan 19:20 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cuadrado's announcement expected soon
- 31 Jan 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sampdoria about to make it for Spolli
- 31 Jan 18:37 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ajax sign Sinkgraven
- 31 Jan 18:17 ITALY/ TORINO, Alvaro Gonzalez about to join
- 31 Jan 17:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bruno Uvini about to join Sporting Lisbon
- 31 Jan 17:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fetfatzidis joins Chievo Verona
- 31 Jan 17:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AS Roma sign Doumbia
- 31 Jan 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger wants Lloris
- 31 Jan 16:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Danic joins Bastia
- 31 Jan 16:17 BELGIUM/ STANDARD LIEGE, Cyprien likely to join
- 31 Jan 15:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Laxalt joins Genoa
- 31 Jan 15:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Offer to WBA for signing Samaras
- 31 Jan 15:20 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Palermo sign Danilo Ortiz
- 31 Jan 15:00 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, New renewal offer to captain Magnanelli
- 31 Jan 14:27 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Mahlangu
- 31 Jan 13:57 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Lanůs sign Leto again
- 31 Jan 13:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina loan Beleck out
- 31 Jan 12:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City loan Zuculini out again
- 31 Jan 12:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, O'Grady joins Sheffield United back
- 31 Jan 12:00 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ajax loan Duarte to Heerenveen
- 31 Jan 11:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Bryan Ruiz joins Levante
- 31 Jan 10:57 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Serey Die about to join from FC Basel
- 31 Jan 10:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Malaga sign Nwakali
- 31 Jan 09:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Vrsaljko
- 31 Jan 09:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria sign Casado
- 31 Jan 09:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiakos sign Felipe Santana
- 31 Jan 00:00 INTER, Vidic's agent:: "He will honor his contract"
- 30 Jan 23:37 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Marica could come back
- 30 Jan 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Dragovic
- 30 Jan 22:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Crystal Palace sign Pape Souaré
After an unsuccessful experience at Manchester United (which purchased him from Crystal Palace on a 9 million pounds payment) during the first half of 2013/14, English Under-21 international winger and forward Wilfried Zaha (22) is getting less and less likely to be included back
Interviewed by FcInter1908.it, Silvano Martina, agent of Inter Milan defender Nemanja Vidic, has declared: "Why should he leave? He is playing. H
Interviewed by RAC 1, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi and Luis Enrique? They are very well, tensions are normal, bu
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has declared about the possibility to sign Manchester United 30-year-old midfielder Darren Fletcher: "It's sti
Interviewed by RMC, OM attacking midfielder Florian Thauvin has declared: "Leaving this club last summer, after just one year, was not part of my
Interviewed by Die Welt, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "My players are focused on the season, and I have positive sensations