MANCHESTER CITY, Mancini: "Big spending is the only way to win the title"
© foto di Federico De Luca
Roberto Mancini has defended Manchester City's spending splurge, claiming buying big is the only way to win the title.
Mancini has already splashed out £59million this summer to take the Blues' outlay under Sheikh Mansour to a staggering £265million in less than two years.
City are set to break the £100million barrier for the second summer running and Mancini wants to add a full-back and a striker to his signings of David Silva, Yaya Toure and Jerome Boateng.
Mancini claims City's big spending is nothing new and says every title-winning side in Europe's top leagues have splashed the cash.
"Of course we have spent a lot of money this summer," said the City manager.
"Everyone can see that is the case, but all the teams who have won the Premier League, or La Liga or Serie A in recent years have spent a lot of money.
"This is not a new thing. It is hard to win trophies anywhere if you do not invest in the team in areas where you can improve. That's what we have done this summer."
Despite hammering Sheikh Mansour's chequebook, Mancini claims he will still give the club's Academy players a chance.
He has brought 11 young players on City's three-week long US tour and pointed to his blooding of the likes of Gregory Cunningham, Abdisalam Ibrahim and Dedryck Boyota last season as proof of his commitment to the club's youth system.
"In my first half season at the club Cunningham, Nimeley, Nielsen, Ibrahim and Boyata were all given debuts," he said. "That didn't happen at many clubs.
"That will continue where possible this season too. We are absolutely committed to the Academy and to bringing through and developing our own talent.
"We have young players here training with the first team and it's great experience for them. They have great enthusiasm and they will learn much from the trip. It is important that they know that there is a path to the first team there for them."
As well as Sheikh Mansour's billions, Mancini has called in the A-Team to make City successful and he has given a trial to Roland Benedict, the son of one of the stars of the 1980s' TV show.
Roland's dad, Dirk, played Face in the hit US series, starring alongside Mr T and George Peppard.
Roland, 20, had a spell with Gillingham two years ago and has returned to England from America, determined to make a career as a professional footballer.
Dirk, 63, said: "Roland has played soccer since he was four years old and always wanted to play in England so I said 'let's go for it'. He's quite good."
Roland, who made a name for himself on the college basketball circuit last year, claims his dad has been a great help.
"I got the fundamental side from my dad," he said. "I wouldn't be as good a player without him."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 05 May 10:34 LEICESTER tried to appoint Hiddink
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 09:47 HUDDERSFIELD - Danny Ward on target
- 04 May 09:26 LIVERPOOL - Caulker to leave
- 03 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Fellaini and Huth face 3 match ban
- 03 May 18:02 TOTTENHAM - Rose: "I'm sorry if it looked bad on TV"
- 03 May 17:22 LIVERPOOL - Can back to training
- 03 May 16:57 STOKE CITY - Club announces new kit makers
- 03 May 16:22 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We won't defend our title next year"
- 03 May 15:42 LIVERPOOL - Sakho given worldwide ban
- 03 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM - Kane: "It's just a disappointing night"
- 03 May 14:47 EVERTON - Jagielka to return before end of season
- 03 May 14:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - David De Gea breaks award record
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 02 May 10:45 CHELSEA - Obi Mikel set for a stay
- 02 May 10:25 ARSENAL - Target Tierney
- 02 May 09:37 SPURS- Lloris to extend the contract
- 02 May 09:01 LEICESTER - Drinkwater risks a two-matches-ban
- 01 May 21:14 CHELSEA - Hiddink: "Conte must challenge for title"
- 01 May 20:51 EVERTON - Martinez: "I share their frustration"
- 01 May 20:24 SOUTHAMPTON 4-2 MAN. CITY: Man.City full of substitutes is defeated against Southampton
- 01 May 20:17 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We needed to win and we did it"
- 25 May 11:58 LIVERPOOL - Ward and Bogdan set to leave
- 25 May 11:49 ARSENAL, Wenger about Xhaka: "We have been watching him for a long time"
- 25 May 11:44 AJAX appointed Peter Bosz
- 25 May 11:43 Pictures: Xhaka in Arsenal colours
- 25 May 11:36 OFFICIAL, Arsenal agree deal with Granit Xhaka
- 25 May 11:29 MANCHESTER UNITED - Scholes: "Giggs would be sad if he left the club"
- 25 May 11:17 RANGERS - Barton: "I am an Evertonian"
- 25 May 11:09 PSG won't sell Cavani
- 25 May 10:54 LEICESTER - Simpson willing to stay
- 25 May 10:39 PSG reject a £45m bid for Marquinhos
- 25 May 10:25 BORDEAUX to appoint Wilmots
- 25 May 10:10 WEST HAM keen on Calleri
- 25 May 09:54 CHELSEA keen on Simon Kjaer
- 25 May 09:41 NAPOLI won't sell Raul Albiol
- 25 May 09:26 BARCELONA - Messi: "I'll go back to Argentina"
- 25 May 09:19 SOUTHAMPTON want to keep Koeman
- 25 May 09:01 EVERTON - Ronald de Boer: "Frank is eager to take over"
- 25 May 08:24 MANCHESTER UNITED, they can land Cristiano Ronaldo for £80m
- 25 May 08:16 MANCHESTER UNITED, Benzema is a major target
- 25 May 08:04 MANCHESTER UNITED, Cantona believes United are getting the wrong manager
- 25 May 08:04 PSG, Cavani going nowhere
- 24 May 23:54 BREAKING NEWS - Josè Mourinho agreed personal terms with United
- 24 May 22:09 BARCELONA - Sandro Ramirez to leave
- 24 May 21:51 LIVERPOOL - Karius new signing
- 24 May 21:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Carroll to join Linfield
- 24 May 21:05 LIVERPOOL - Gotze father 'I know nothing'
- 24 May 20:32 LIVERPOOL - Kolo Toure offered new deal
- 24 May 20:06 WEST HAM - considering Calleri
- 24 May 19:37 JUVENTUS - Morata urged to stay
- 24 May 19:20 LIVERPOOL and MANCHESTER UNITED fined by UEFA
- 24 May 19:15 BARCELONA - Sandro to leave
- 24 May 18:41 NICE - official Lucien Favre takes management
- 24 May 17:58 Glasgow Rangers, Barton: "Irrelevant all other offers received"
- 24 May 17:52 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Santos renews for Sporting Braga
- 24 May 17:41 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'm ready to sell Milan to Chinese"
- 24 May 17:36 AS ROMA, Iago Falqué might be the key for signing Bruno Peres
- 24 May 17:24 Ancelotti: "Mourinho is one of the best, is perfect for Manchester United"
- 24 May 17:21 WEST HAM, Deal with Besiktas: Gokhan Töre about to join
- 24 May 17:17 Torino, for the midfield like Empoli player Diousse'
- 24 May 17:16 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Karius
- 24 May 17:12 ENGLAND/ BOURNEMOUTH, Approaching Milosevic
- 24 May 16:55 OGC NICE, Favre is the new OGC Nice manager
- 24 May 16:12 SWANSEA - Eder moves to Lille
- 24 May 15:32 MANCHESTER UNITED - Woodward meets Mourinho's agent
- 24 May 15:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Deal for Gundogan close
- 24 May 14:30 HAMBURG, Rudnevs might be joining Darmstadt
- 24 May 14:13 LAZIO, Suggestion for Albanian international Ajeti
- 24 May 13:57 STOKE CITY to keep Marko Arnautovic
- 24 May 13:46 ATLETICO MADRID - Koke is eager to stay
- 24 May 13:33 CHELSEA - Begovic: "Terry has presence, his extension is very important"
Eric Cantona believes Manchester United are getting the wrong manager. Jose Mourinho is expected to be confirmed as successor to Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford in the next two days, but Cantona, so synonymous with United's success under Sir Alex Ferguson, thinks Pep Guardiola
According to Sky Sport there were advances in the negotiations between Lazio and Cesare Prandelli. After meeting between the Biancocelesti and former
Raphael Varane, Real Madrid defender, has spoken at L'Equipe: Euro 2016? :" The idea is really to live an important stage of my career
Louis Van Gaal it is no longer Manchester United's manager. The club, with a brief note on his official site, announced Dutch departure with immed
OGC Nice announced having signed Swiss 58 years old Lucien Favre as their new manager. Former Borussia Monchengladbach and Hertha Berlin trainer joins
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was elected by Kicker, Bundesliga's best player. A prestigious award for the Armenian Borussia Dortmund midfielder followed in