APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 06 Dec 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Hamren will train the NT until 2016
- 05 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Silvestre injured
- 04 Dec 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Valbuena injured
- 02 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Cassano injured
- 01 Dec 10:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Nastasic injured
- 30 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Aogo injured
- 29 Nov 07:40 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Galliani about to leave
- 29 Nov 07:17 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Mitroglou injured
- 28 Nov 07:17 EGYPT/ OFFICIAL, Shawky is the new NT coach
- 27 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Robinho injured
- 26 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew has undergone surgery
- 25 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik injured
- 24 Nov 11:27 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery out for a long time
- 23 Nov 07:57 SWITZERLAND/ ZURICH, Nef injured
- 22 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew will undergo surgery
- 21 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Hummels out for two months
- 20 Nov 14:34 CELTIC, Fridjonsson: "I can improve here every day "
- 20 Nov 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels and Schmelzer injured
- 19 Nov 09:56 ITALY, Prandelli felt Italy deserved more than draw against Nigeria
- 19 Nov 07:17 CZECH. REP./ OFFICIAL, Vrba will be the NT coach
- 18 Nov 07:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Khedira underwent surgery
- 17 Nov 10:27 ITALY/ INTER, Samuel injured
- 16 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger back in January
- 15 Nov 18:47 IRELAND, Di Canio hits back at O'Neill
- 15 Nov 15:15 CAMEROON, Eto'o claims conspiracy: "I heard of plot not to pass to me"
- 15 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger underwent surgery
- 14 Nov 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Graf is Young Boys new Technical Director
- 14 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic underwent surgery
- 13 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez ready to come back
- 12 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Schuster injured
- 11 Nov 18:15 FIFA PUSKAS AWARD, ten best goals of the year announced
- 11 Nov 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Season over for Subotic
- 10 Nov 11:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic injured
- 09 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Verratti injured
- 08 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Destro has recovered
- 07 Nov 20:00 ENGLAND, Hodgson confident on security
- 07 Nov 07:00 IRELAND/ OFFICIAL, O' Neill is the NT new manager
- 05 Nov 17:15 IRELAND, O'Neill agrees new deal with Northern Ireland
- 05 Nov 07:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Mesto out for four months
- 02 Nov 08:57 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev will be the NT coach until 2016
- 01 Nov 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Markarian is no longer the NT coach
- 30 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 29 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Djourou injured
- 28 Oct 06:45 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Season over for Suarez
- 27 Oct 10:57 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nawalks is the new NT coach
- 27 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Flamini injured
- 26 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Cirigliano injured
- 25 Oct 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Pizarro injured
- 24 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Dos Santos will undergo surgery
- 23 Oct 06:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ambrosini out for two weeks
- 09 Dec 01:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, The Special One wants Mascherano
- 09 Dec 00:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Arsenal surveying Rafinha
- 08 Dec 23:30 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, One more suitor for Otamendi
- 08 Dec 22:30 FRANCE/ PSG, In touch with Sergio Ramos' entourage
- 08 Dec 21:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Back for Ghoulam
- 08 Dec 20:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone wants Cristante
- 08 Dec 19:30 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Eyes on Sciaudone
- 08 Dec 18:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Expect the unexpected: Van Persie wants to leave
- 08 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for David Luiz
- 08 Dec 16:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Rafael
- 08 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Fabio Coentrao on target
- 08 Dec 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We want Suarez to stay with us, we'll talk about the renewal"
- 08 Dec 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Accelerating towards Mangala
- 08 Dec 11:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Redknapp confirms Benayoun on arrival
- 08 Dec 09:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Cvitanich might join in January
- 08 Dec 07:30 LAZIO, Klose: "MLS and Lerverkusen attract me"
- 08 Dec 01:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Real Madrid for Glen Johnson
- 07 Dec 23:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Survey on Insigne
- 07 Dec 21:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Muniain on target: Llorente set to talk him into joining
- 07 Dec 19:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Desperate try for Balotelli
- 07 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ INTER, Ranocchia might leave in January
- 07 Dec 15:30 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "World Cup draws? Doesn't matter who you get"
- 07 Dec 13:30 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Test period for Yamada
- 07 Dec 11:30 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview, Wenger: "Martinez is doing remarkably well. But we are hungry for winning"
- 07 Dec 09:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, From Spain: Di Maria towards Ligue 1
- 07 Dec 07:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Barreto might leave in January
- 06 Dec 21:30 ARSENAL, Updates on Podolski
- 06 Dec 21:15 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, One more Premier League top suitor for Morata
- 06 Dec 21:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Keen on McGeady
- 06 Dec 20:45 ARSENAL, Wenger still on Bendtner: "He worked hard, and deserved to be picked"
- 06 Dec 20:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer for Batshuayi ready
- 06 Dec 20:15 JAPAN/ CEREZO OSAKA, Simplicio set to leave
- 06 Dec 20:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview, Gareth Barry: "Gunners have been a surprise. They were interested in me"
- 06 Dec 19:45 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Willing to sign Anderson back
- 06 Dec 19:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Still keen on Shaqiri
- 06 Dec 19:15 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas Moura: "I want to keep playing here and leave my mark"
- 06 Dec 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Suggestion for Glen Johnson
- 06 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL, Jenkinson: "Let's keep this attitude for continuing the run we are on"
- 06 Dec 18:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola wants Iñigo Martínez
- 06 Dec 18:15 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Eyes on Kukoc
- 06 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON - Preview: updates on Sagna
- 06 Dec 17:45 WORLD CUP 2014, All the groups drawn
- 06 Dec 17:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more suitor for Niang
- 06 Dec 17:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Two suitors on Ryo Miyaichi
- 06 Dec 17:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lavezzi coy on London links
- 06 Dec 16:50 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Jovetic's agent: "Coming back home is not an option"
- 06 Dec 16:40 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Eyes on Ginter
- 06 Dec 16:30 FRANCE/ RENNES, English scouts for Bakayoko
- 06 Dec 16:25 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners confirm Josh Kroenke as non-executive director
- 06 Dec 16:15 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Monaco tracking Matip
Currently on a deal with Barcelona FC until June 2016 and possibly leaving in January on an about 20 million euros offer, Argentinian international half-back and centre-back Javier Mascherano (29), recently surveyed by both Napoli and Fiorentina, has been targeted by...
Intrerviewed by Lancenet.com.br, Lazio and German NT star striker Miroslav Klose (35) talked about his forthcoming future: "I'm on a...
Interviewed by Esport3, Espanyol president Joan Collet has declared about 27 year old goalkeeeper Kiko Casilla: "We want him to remain with...
Asked by Sky Sports UK about Uruguayan international forward Luis Alberto Suarez's (26) forthcoming future, Liverpool manager Brendan...
Interviewed by TMW, Oscar Daniani Junior, agent of Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, has declared: "Napoli have been...
Interviewed by Milliyet, Fenerbahçe winger Milos Krasic, actually on loan at Bastia, has declared: "It's not easy to play in...