APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Other news Other News
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 12:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 18 Sep 19:39 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid renew Varane's contract
- 18 Sep 19:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wanyama on target
- 18 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fulham fire Magath
- 18 Sep 12:30 ENGLAND/ NORWICH CITY, Eyes on Logashov
- 18 Sep 12:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Selke renews for Werder Bremen
- 18 Sep 11:31 ENGLAND/ CARDIFF, Pulis to replace Solskjaer
- 18 Sep 11:14 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, keen to sign Brandt as Liverpool
- 18 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, plotting to re-sign Lass Diarra
- 18 Sep 10:44 As ROMA , Gervinho about Champions: "We can go a long way"
- 18 Sep 10:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, eye moves for free agent defenders
- 18 Sep 10:05 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Gervinho: "Happy for the renewal, this is my home"
- 18 Sep 09:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Matuidi
- 18 Sep 08:45 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Auction for Schär
- 18 Sep 08:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Suarez towards Italy
- 18 Sep 08:15 HUNGARY/ HONVED, Chevanton about to sign
- 18 Sep 08:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Imminent meeting for Rabiot
- 18 Sep 07:40 FRANCE/ PSG, Auction for Lavezzi
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 18 Sep 06:57 PSG, Maxwell: "I could even decide to quit"
- 18 Sep 06:39 BAYERN, Gaudino's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 18 Sep 00:00 FIORENTINA, Aquilani: "My new contract? Not yet"
- 17 Sep 23:37 ARGENTINA/ SAN LORENZO, Bauza likely to renew
- 17 Sep 23:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Nilmar signs for Internacional
- 17 Sep 22:59 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Arshavin could renew
- 17 Sep 22:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, El Hamdaoui towards Wydad
- 17 Sep 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Illarramendi could leave
- 17 Sep 22:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Arbeloa closer
- 17 Sep 21:37 SWITZERLAND/ LUZERN, Bernegger confirmed
- 17 Sep 21:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Klever renews with Fluminense
- 17 Sep 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Cavani could leave
- 17 Sep 20:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Aigner renews with Eintracht
- 17 Sep 20:20 HUNGARY/ HONVED, Offer to Chevanton
- 17 Sep 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sergi Roberto renews with Barcelona
- 17 Sep 19:45 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Idea Ziegler
- 17 Sep 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Lambert renews with Aston Villa
- 17 Sep 19:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Inter after Gaudino
- 17 Sep 19:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, 2 suitors for Rodic
- 17 Sep 18:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back tracking Illarramendi
- 17 Sep 18:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Suggestion for Ziegler
- 17 Sep 18:15 JUVENTUS & TOTTENHAM, Witsel on target
- 17 Sep 18:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Klopp on triumph over Arsenal
- 17 Sep 17:44 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Gourlay: "Working to hold Mou for 10 years"
- 17 Sep 17:30 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Mangala is embracing the challenge posed by fierce competition
- 17 Sep 17:15 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Two players renew for St. Gallen
- 17 Sep 17:00 FRANCE/ O.M., Gignac might leave in winter
- 17 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Borussia Dortmund defeated us through pace and pressure"
- 17 Sep 16:30 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kristian Kuzmanovic joins FC Vaduz
- 17 Sep 16:15 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Jorginho is the new Chapecoense manager
Playing for Southampton since July 2013, Kenyan international half-back Victor Wanyama (23), according to latest rumours reported in UK media, has been targeted by Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, who's willing to sign him in January. Currently on a deal with Saints unti
After scoring two against PFC CSKA Moskva, Gervinho is confident AS Roma's UEFA Champions League return will be a successful one, a view shared by
Barcelona full back Douglas has declared: "I have cried many times when I heard that I was going to join Barcelona, this is the tranfer of life f
Arsenal playmaking midfielder and captain Mikel Arteta talked about 2-0 defeat suffered from Borussia Dortmund: "We played against one of the top
OM forward Florian Thauvin has declared: "The president have had some contacts with Inter, but I don't know what has really happens. Things w
Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp commented upon Champions League triumph over Arsenal, talking to Ruhr Nachrichten: "We wanted to be a perf