APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Other news Other News
- 23 Nov 08:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Torosidis injured
- 22 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Toivonen recovers
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 19 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Lahm out for three months
- 18 Nov 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic is no longer the NT coach
- 17 Nov 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Nov 08:27 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Ketsbaia is no longer the NT coach
- 15 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rafinha injured
- 14 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna injured
- 12 Nov 07:17 DENMARK/ BRONDBY, Agger injured
- 11 Nov 14:14 DENMARK, Jorgensen quits football: "Proud of my career"
- 11 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus injured
- 10 Nov 19:00 ITALY, Conte: "Balotelli not different "
- 10 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Insigne injured
- 08 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alaba underwent surgery
- 06 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND, Hodgson explains Saido Berahino England squad call up
- 06 Nov 07:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Alcaraz injured
- 05 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi out for 5 months
- 04 Nov 10:30 PREVIEW: Arsenal v Anderlecht: Possible lineups
- 04 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Draxler injured
- 03 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels injured
- 01 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Iborra injured
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "I’m better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 23 Nov 12:27 FRANCE/ REIMS, Atar could leave
- 23 Nov 12:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaya
- 23 Nov 11:27 EGYPT/ ZAMALEK, Shikabala could come back
- 23 Nov 10:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Savic could renew
- 23 Nov 10:29 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Interest for Halimi
- 23 Nov 09:59 CROATIA/ HNK RIJEKA, Also Juventus after Kramaric
- 23 Nov 09:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Espirito Santo to renew
- 23 Nov 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Sprint for Brozovic
- 23 Nov 08:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Torosidis injured
- 23 Nov 07:29 HOFFENHEIM, Rose: "Firmino and Volland won't move in January"
- 23 Nov 06:59 SOTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin's future? We'll see,,"
- 23 Nov 06:30 ATLETICO M. Cerezo: "We are not thinking about selling Jimenez"
- 23 Nov 06:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I'm happy here"
- 23 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after United failure: "We dominated for most of the game"
- 22 Nov 23:00 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Price is set on Buonanotte's hireback: Pachuca ready
- 22 Nov 22:00 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC BILBAO, Attempt for signing Monreal from Arsenal failed
- 22 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Approaching Doria
- 22 Nov 20:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Willing to sign Orbán
- 22 Nov 19:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING BRAGA, Keen on Avelar
- 22 Nov 18:00 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Eyes on Rolando
- 22 Nov 17:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Boufal on target
- 22 Nov 16:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Survey on Cristante
- 22 Nov 15:00 ENGLAND/ QPR, Kalas hard to get
- 22 Nov 14:00 ITALY/ INTER, AC Milan challenged on signing Okaka
- 22 Nov 13:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Keen on Kampl
- 22 Nov 12:00 FRANCE/ PSG, New attempt for Lacazette ready
- 22 Nov 11:00 CROATIA/ DINAMO ZAGREB, Kovacec on target
- 22 Nov 10:00 ITALY/ CESENA, Still tracking Pavoletti
- 22 Nov 09:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Still keem on Odegaard
- 22 Nov 08:30 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Also Napoli after Walace
- 22 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Toivonen recovers
- 22 Nov 07:27 BORUSSIA, Klopp: "Only the Premier League attracts me"
- 22 Nov 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "We are seeking a forward"
- 22 Nov 06:29 ATLETICO M., Moyà: "Oblak is our future"
- 22 Nov 06:00 GENOA, Kucka: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 22 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Tolgay Arslan
- 21 Nov 23:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Still keen on Darmian
- 21 Nov 22:57 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Also United after Perez
- 21 Nov 22:29 ITALY/ JUVE, Keen on Kaya
- 21 Nov 21:59 SPAIN/ CELTA, Krohn-Dehli could leave
- 21 Nov 21:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez's future still uncertain
- 21 Nov 21:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Jurčenko set to leave
- 21 Nov 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Vangioni likely to join
- 21 Nov 20:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Vieirinha on the wishlist
- 21 Nov 19:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Offer to Odegaard
- 21 Nov 19:39 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Contacts for Donati
- 21 Nov 19:14 ITALY/ ROMA, 7 millions for Ponce
- 21 Nov 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sacchi: "Ancelotti has done a great job at Madrid"
- 21 Nov 18:44 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Garcia: "Castan? We need to give him time to recover"
- 21 Nov 18:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Also Schalke tracking Aarons
Commenting upon Arsenal's defeat suffered from Manchester United, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger stated: "It’s a game that we dominated for 80 per cent of the time, and we haven’t dominated a game like that against Manchester United for a long time. At
Interviewed by Sky, Juventus midfirlder Paul Pogba has declared: "I am honored by the transfer rumors, but I play for Juve and I am happy to were
Atletico Madrid 30-year-old goalkeeper Miguel Ángel Moyà has declared about his young back up Jan Oblak: "He has great qualities, i
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has declared about 25-year-old midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin: "I am saying nothing about Morgan's future.
Interviewed by TMW, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is upset because of his injury, he has come to wa
Interviewed by BT Sport, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "In addition to Germany, only England attracts me from a football poi