APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Other news News
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 24 Feb 17:03 OFFICIAL - SWANSEA CITY sign Federico FERNANDEZ on a new deal
- 24 Feb 17:00 LEICESTER - Mancini not Keen on the club
- 24 Feb 16:44 REAL MADRID sealed the signing of Brazilian starlet Augusto Galvan
- 24 Feb 16:18 MANCHESTER UNITED ask Real Madrid VARANE for letting De Gea go
- 24 Feb 15:46 EXCLUSIVE TMW - INTER: D'Ambrosio close to sign a new deal
- 24 Feb 15:35 LAZIO - Wesley HOEDT close to new contract
- 24 Feb 14:55 PSG - 2 suitors for Serge AURIER
- 24 Feb 14:44 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Courtois perfect for Real. Surprised by Ranieri"
- 24 Feb 14:30 CHELSEA - Conte on Claudio Ranieri sacking: "My reaction I am very sad"
- 24 Feb 14:19 ARSENAL keen on Fornals
- 24 Feb 14:08 OFFICIAL - RB LEIPZIG sign goalie wonderkid Philipp Köhn from Stuttgart
- 24 Feb 13:51 UEL - The draw: Lyon-As Roma, Rostov-Man UTD ...
- 24 Feb 13:45 INTER - Zhang in Italy: renewal close for Gandini and Ausilio
- 24 Feb 13:23 CHELSEA - Opening on DE VRIJ: new Lazio contract is far
- 24 Feb 12:39 MANCHESTER UNITED - Duel to Arsenal on LACAZETTE
- 24 Feb 12:16 FIORENTINA Possible two Partizan targets: Eye on Vlahovic e Milenkovic
- 24 Feb 11:58 LAZIO willing to snatch El Cholito SIMEONE from AC Milan
- 24 Feb 11:44 AC MILAN - Donnarumma's brother: "Renewal? The club knows what to do"
- 24 Feb 11:31 JUVENTUS - Dybala is expected to renew next week
- 24 Feb 11:12 EXCLUSIVE TMW - ARSENAL scouting Insigne and Ghoulam tomorrow
- 24 Feb 10:43 EXCLUSIVE TMW - NY Cosmos: the last rumors about Marchionni and Mudingayi
- 24 Feb 10:37 LEICESTER CITY in touch with Roberto MANCINI
- 24 Feb 10:29 ARSENAL - Bellerín open to Barcelona move if...
- 24 Feb 10:16 ARSENAL - Players convinced manager Wenger will renew
- 24 Feb 10:03 ESPANYOL - Felipe CAICEDO might be soon leaving for China
- 24 Feb 09:28 OFFICIAL - LEICESTER CITY sack Claudio RANIERI
- 24 Feb 08:44 POLAND/ OFFICIAL - Kokalovic joins Lech Poznan
- 24 Feb 00:04 AS ROMA, Manolas' agent: "Lots of rumours on his future. No news on a renewal"
- 23 Feb 23:19 OFFICIAL - Augsburg sign two players on new contracts
- 23 Feb 22:34 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AC Milan, HONDA tempted by Seattle Sounders offer: deal might be sealed soon
- 23 Feb 21:47 PORTO - Duel to Juventus, United, and Atletico Madrid on LYANCO
- 23 Feb 21:01 INTER MILAN meeting AS Roma next Sunday on MANOLAS' future
- 23 Feb 20:13 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - From France: deal with PSG on AUGUSTIN
- 23 Feb 19:30 OGC NICE, Belhanda: "I'd like to stay, the club will need to talk to Dynamo Kyiv"
- 23 Feb 18:48 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL - Lucas BARRIOS undergoing medical for Gremio
- 23 Feb 18:05 EXCLUSIVE TMW - PSG, Pastore turns down Chinese courtship and proposal
- 23 Feb 17:21 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Werder Bremen in talks with CALDIROLA on a new contract
- 23 Feb 16:38 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Veteran star MAICON turns down European offers and gets closer to Atlanta Utd
- 23 Feb 15:57 CELTIC GLASGOW, Dembelé's agent: "He'll leave when the time is right, and it isn't now"
- 23 Feb 15:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Beijing Guoan submit Hull City new bid for Abel HERNANDEZ
- 23 Feb 14:33 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Bacca's agent: "Big offers from China, but he wants to stay put at AC Milan"
- 23 Feb 13:49 ATALANTA, Conti's agent: "Napoli have been fond of him since ever, but..."
- 23 Feb 13:02 INTER MILAN - Eyes on Bordeaux wonderkid MALCOM
- 23 Feb 12:16 LEICESTER - Ranieri delighted by resilience at Sevilla
- 23 Feb 12:01 REAL MADRID wait to listen to coach Zidane’s opinion for Isco renewal
- 23 Feb 11:44 ARSENAL - Nasri defends Wenger: "I came to the Premier League because of him"
- 23 Feb 11:31 ARSENAL- Cazorla will miss rest of the season
- 23 Feb 11:16 ARSENAL & MAN UTD - scouts to watch Porto's striker Andre Silva
- 23 Feb 11:00 NAPOLI - Mertens waiting De Laurentiis for the renewal until 2021
- 23 Feb 10:43 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "I'm not considering getting back to France"
Swansea City announced having signed Argentinian centre-back Federico Fernandez (28) on a new contract,lating until June 2020. Former Napoli, Getafe, and Estudiantes player joined Welsh club back in summer 2014.
? Good news!@pajarofernandez has signed a new three-y
According to Italian news, former Dutch Under-21 international centre-back Wesley Hoedt (turning 23 next March 6), despite a seesawing quality in
Malaga announced having extended their deal with Spanish midfielder José Luis García del Pozo, known as Recio (26), until June 2021
Swansea City announced having signed Argentinian centre-back Federico Fernandez (28) on a new contract,lating until June 2020. Former Napoli, Getafe,
Turning 27 on Saturday, February 25, Moroccan international attacking midfielder Younès Belhanda, asked by French media about his fut
RB Leipzig announced having Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Philipp Köhn (18), currently in Stuttgart system, on a deal lasting unti