APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Other news News
- 24 Jun 17:09 OFFICIAL - Young Scotsman Tierney extends for CELTIC
- 23 Jun 18:46 EURO 2016 - SPAIN, De Gea: "Thanks to the critics, you motivate me"
- 22 Jun 08:57 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 21 Jun 16:57 EURO 2016 Sweden striker Ibrahimovic to retire from international football
- 21 Jun 10:36 EURO 2016 - Today Matches
- 17 Jun 19:38 IRELAND - Arter: "I'm always listening to Roy Keane"
- 17 Jun 11:36 EURO 2016: Germany 0-0 Poland Video review
- 17 Jun 09:15 EURO 2016: Today Matches
- 16 Jun 16:23 POGBA's agent: "He didn't flip, let's stop talking nonsense"
- 16 Jun 10:21 EURO 2016 - Preview: Ukraine v Northern Ireland
- 16 Jun 10:13 EURO 2016 - Preview: England v Wales
- 16 Jun 10:07 EURO 2016 - Preview: Germany v Poland
- 16 Jun 09:06 EURO 2016 - Russia Loves Football – not violence
- 15 Jun 09:21 PARIS, 20th JUNE Borgonovo FOUNDATION CHARITY jersey AUCTION
- 11 Jun 00:13 From Spain: SEXUAL ASSAULT Inquiry on ISCO, DE GEA and MUNIAIN
- 10 Jun 16:39 EURO 2016 - France v Romania photos preview
- 08 Jun 17:44 EURO 2016 - TURKEY, Mandžukić "We should think about our qualities much more than those of our opponents"
- 31 May 22:51 Trapani ahead on Spezia: nearest playoff's final
- 31 May 22:23 OFFICIAL: Botafogo, Camilo arrives from Al-Shabab
- 31 May 21:58 OFFICIAL: Leeds United, Evans goes away
- 30 May 22:21 OFFICIAL: Lokomotiv Moscow, no contract's renewal for Sheshukov and Grigoriev
- 30 May 21:46 OFFICIAL: Levante, contract's renewal for Remeseiro and Martin
- 30 May 21:43 OFFICIAL: Estoril, Fabiano Soares coach confirmed
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 04 May 12:20 DUNDEE - Paatelainen to leave after relegation
- 30 Apr 09:19 BENFICA: Jardel: "Great supporters, important victory"
- 27 Apr 13:17 GLASGOW RANGERS - Target Hollooway
- 26 Apr 14:02 DINAMO KYIV - Veloso: "I want to leave"
- 25 Apr 11:30 UCL/ MAN CITY v REAL MADRID - Zidane takes the entire squad to Manchester
- 23 Apr 12:09 BENFICA, Talisca to China?
- 23 Apr 07:51 AJAX- Milik ready to leave
- 22 Apr 09:11 ANDERLECHT - Proto could leave
- 17 Apr 17:57 MLS - Drogba opens 2016 season with sublime backheel
- 15 Apr 18:32 CHAMPIONS - Another Madrid final still possible
- 15 Apr 17:52 EURO 16 - Coentrao set to miss Euros
- 15 Apr 16:57 CHAMPIONS - Pellegrini returns to the Bernabeu
- 14 Apr 18:05 BARCELONA - Messi playing with muscle problems
- 13 Apr 12:26 UCL / Atletico v Barcelona: There can only be on
- 12 Apr 21:47 UCL / Manchester City 1-0 Paris Saint-Germain (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 UCL / REAL MADRID 3-0 WOLFSBURG (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Results
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / MAN.CITY 0 - 0 PSG (first time)
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / R.MADRID 2 - 0 WOLFSBURG (first time)
- 11 Apr 13:18 CHAMPIONS - Zinedine Zidane faces most crucial week of his career as Real Madrid coach
- 10 Apr 22:45 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Nacional 4 - 1 Estoril
- 10 Apr 22:40 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Braga 1 - 1 Moreirense
- 10 Apr 22:31 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Pacos de Ferreira 1 - 0 FC Porto
- 09 Apr 11:59 CHAMPIONS - Pep: Wolfsburg a lesson for Madrid
- 09 Apr 10:56 EURO 2016 - Injury hits Henderson's Euro 2016 hopes
- 08 Apr 12:26 Villarreal 2-1 Sparta Prague - Bakambu double gives hosts advantage
- 08 Apr 11:58 Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool - Liverpool stand firm at Dortmund
- 08 Apr 11:31 Sporting Braga 1-2 Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukrainians have put one foot in the last four
- 07 Apr 11:33 SCOTLAND - Rangers return to elite
- 07 Apr 10:51 Infantino says Cross Trading contract 'properly conducted' by UEFA
- 07 Apr 09:58 UEFA headquarters raided by Swiss police
- 06 Apr 23:17 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Janko renews short-term for FC Basel
- 06 Apr 22:39 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Eyes on Vilhena
- 06 Apr 11:16 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Vidal gives Bayern Munich slender first leg advantage
- 06 Apr 10:03 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Simeone: "I am not saying everything that I want to say"
- 06 Apr 09:24 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Suárez joy at fightback but Atleti not done yet
- 05 Apr 19:35 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Benfica line-ups
- 03 Apr 20:21 Italian football mourns Cesare Maldini
- 02 Apr 10:59 IRELAND - Captain Keane out for up to six weeks
- 31 Mar 22:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Mexico book ticket to the Hex
- 31 Mar 09:58 ENGLAND - Hodgson full of praise for England defenders
- 30 Mar 16:09 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - PORTUGAL 2-1 BELGIUM: Ronaldo sharpens his fangs
- 30 Mar 15:36 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - FRANCE 4-2 RUSSIA: Griezmann turns creator as France overthrow Russia
- 30 Mar 15:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - GERMANY 4-1 ITALY: Germany lay down a marker
- 30 Mar 14:32 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - ENGLAND 1-2 NETHERLANDS: Janssen bursts England's bubble
- 29 Mar 17:56 ENGLAND - Milner: "This is most competitive England squad in my time"
- 28 Mar 20:15 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Snipers in France - Russia
- 28 Mar 14:51 FRANCE - Payet: "There is no discomfort between us"
- 27 Mar 15:07 ENGLAND - Hodgson "It was my best night with England"
- 27 Mar 14:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - 40,000 fans watch Nigeria vs Egypt in 25,000 capacity stadium
- 26 Mar 11:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Luis Suarez bitter Brazil: BRASIL 2 - 2 URUGUAY
- 26 Mar 09:57 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Holland 2 - 3 France honors Cruyff with 14th minute stoppage
- 25 Mar 16:30 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - This Friday's Holland vs France game will be stopped in the 14th minute
- 25 Mar 12:40 ARGENTINA - Messi: "We had to win"
- 24 Mar 12:50 OFFICIAL - Dutch football legend Johan Cruyff dies
- 24 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL: SPAIN v ITALY - Spain bring a real attacking threat
- 24 Mar 10:33 EURO 16 - Don't miss these eleven young promises in Euro 2016
- 23 Mar 20:16 HOLLAND - Ajax keen on Andres Roa
- 23 Mar 19:29 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Long-term contract ready for Schelotto
- 23 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL - Tebas: European Super League would be "failure" on all fronts
- 23 Mar 09:31 BELGIUM - Antonio Muñoz: "There is anxiousness, fear and nobody in the street"
- 23 Mar 09:00 INTERNATIONAL - FIFA launches Germany 2006 probe
- 22 Mar 11:00 BELGIUM cancel training following Brussels attacks
- 20 Mar 22:30 PSV 0 AJAX 2
- 20 Mar 15:15 LA GALAXY - Galaxy win 3-1 but Gerrard departs game after injury
- 18 Mar 22:48 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 22:23 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - The Draws
After having introduced Nicolas N'Koulou as Olympique Lyon's new signing, Ligue 1 giants owner, Jean-Michel Aulas, asked about 22 years old French international centre-back Samuel Umtiti's future, stated:
"As we did in the past when Benzema joined Real Ma
Attending his first press conference as Juventus player, 33 years old Brazilian star Dani Alves stated:
"I chose 23 as my number, same one as
Villarreal announced having extended their deals with former Italian international defensive all-rounder Daniele Bonera (35), until June 2017, an
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
After having introduced Nicolas N'Koulou as Olympique Lyon's new signing, Ligue 1 giants owner, Jean-Michel Aulas, asked about 22 years o
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici