APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 21 Apr 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Badstuber is back
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 19 Apr 07:57 CROATIA/ DYNAMO, Fernandes injured
- 18 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Season over for Alba
- 16 Apr 07:17 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Wilmots will train the NT until 2018
- 15 Apr 07:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa out for three weeks
- 11 Apr 12:26 UEFA CL, Bayern draw Real Madrid, Atlético land Chelsea
- 11 Apr 08:06 UEFA- EL: Benfica, Juve, Sevilla and Valencia set for draw
- 11 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Season over for Farnerud
- 10 Apr 07:17 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Degen injured
- 09 Apr 07:17 ITALY/ ROMA, Benatia injured
- 08 Apr 07:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Rodriguez out for six months
- 07 Apr 07:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Casteels injured
- 06 Apr 07:57 FRANCE/ OM, Mandanda injured
- 04 Apr 07:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Benteke injured
- 03 Apr 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa injured
- 02 Apr 07:00 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale injured
- 01 Apr 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Valdes out for 7 months
- 31 Mar 07:00 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Quaresma wants to play for 10 more years
- 30 Mar 09:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Domínguez Platas is Betis new coach
- 29 Mar 07:57 SPAIN/ GRANADA, Benitez could be fired
- 27 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Victor Valdes injured
- 26 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Season over for Gurpegui
- 25 Mar 13:00 HOLLANDm, Hiddink has signed for 2 years
- 25 Mar 07:00 FRANCE/ LYON, Lopes out for six weeks
- 24 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez injured again
- 23 Mar 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Anderson injured
- 22 Mar 07:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Van Persie injured
- 21 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Schmelzer out for one month
- 20 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Tissone out for six months
- 19 Mar 07:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jesé injured
- 18 Mar 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Cristoforo out for six months
- 17 Mar 07:17 QATAR/ OFFICIAL, Belmadi is the NT new coach
- 16 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Benzema injured
- 15 Mar 08:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hainer is Bayern new president
- 14 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Hoeness sentenced
- 13 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Fuchs injured
- 12 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Season over for Anderson
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 06 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ WERDER, Garcia injured
- 05 Mar 18:02 HOLLAND, Van Gaal: "Netherlands are World Cup outsiders"
- 05 Mar 17:16 FRANCE, Zinedine Zidane 'proud' of son Enzo after France call-up
- 05 Mar 07:15 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is the new NT coach
- 04 Mar 07:17 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Ulmer injured
- 03 Mar 07:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Season over for Rajkovic
- 02 Mar 08:30 HOLLAND/ NT, Agreement with Hiddink
- 21 Apr 10:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Idea Leonardo for the bench
- 21 Apr 09:00 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Auction for Martinez
- 21 Apr 08:30 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Everaldo joins Figueirense
- 21 Apr 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Badstuber is back
- 21 Apr 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Clément: "I want to stay"
- 21 Apr 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Eberl: "De Jong and Mlapa? We'll see.."
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi will stay"
- 21 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not in talks for a new contract"
- 20 Apr 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Cercle Brugge sign De Bie
- 20 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ VERONA, In talks for Espericueta
- 20 Apr 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Idea Regula
- 20 Apr 21:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Doubts about Elkeson
- 20 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Andreasen
- 20 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer to Silva
- 20 Apr 20:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Mission for Carrillo
- 20 Apr 19:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Three names for the offensive line
- 20 Apr 19:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Pinto ready
- 20 Apr 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Lazio
- 20 Apr 18:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Trying to extend Caparrós' deal
- 20 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Garay for the defense
- 20 Apr 17:27 URUGUAY/ SPORTING, Italian auction for Silva
- 20 Apr 16:57 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Sollbauer renews with Wolfsberger
- 20 Apr 16:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Conte on the wishlist
- 20 Apr 15:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Italian suitors for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN, No more interested in Laporte
- 20 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Fernando ready
- 20 Apr 14:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Schwegler intended to leave
- 20 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Rafa Silva
- 20 Apr 13:29 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Fauré renews with Charleroi
- 20 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Lanzini
- 20 Apr 12:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Eyes on Contento
- 20 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Soon meeting for Rolando
- 20 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, New mission for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 20 Apr 09:00 BORDEAUX, Maurice-Belay: "I want to stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by BeINSport, Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has declared: "My future? Now I am thinking about winning the title with Juve,...
Interviewed by Sport, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared: "Messi will improve and will continue to be our leader. Our...
Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood has declared about 22 year old winger Christian Eriksen: "You are always fearful that someone might come and...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...