APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 14:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 08:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 07:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 07:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 07:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 08:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 07:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 07:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 08:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 16:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 07:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 08:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 07:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 17:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 16:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 12:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 07:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 19:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 07:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 17:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 08:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 07:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 19:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 18:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 12:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 09:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 07:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 16:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 07:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 15:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 14:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 18:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 07:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 10:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 10:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
- 23 Jul 12:44 FRANCE/ PSG, No contacts with Conte
- 23 Jul 12:36 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas can leave: Arsenal thinking about him
- 23 Jul 12:31 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Krychowiak joins Sevilla
- 23 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Rodriguez: "I stay here"
- 23 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria: arrives Dos Santos
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
- 23 Jul 10:05 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Brahimi
- 23 Jul 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mathieu joins Barcelona
- 23 Jul 09:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Agreement with Nice for Ospina
- 23 Jul 09:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Waasland-Beveren sign Sawaneh
- 23 Jul 08:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marveaux joins Guingamp
- 23 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Vangioni
- 23 Jul 08:15 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Ingebrigtsen is Rosenborg new coach
- 23 Jul 08:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Napoli's offer for Suarez refused
- 23 Jul 07:45 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiacos sign Masuaku
- 23 Jul 07:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Ferreira Carrasco
- 23 Jul 07:15 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Mordovia sign Le Tallec
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 23 Jul 06:45 MONACO, Vasilyev: "We didn't want to sell Rodriguez"
- 23 Jul 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Hummels to United for 20 millions? Forget it"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 23:45 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Interest for Piazon
- 22 Jul 23:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Contacts for Eto'o
- 22 Jul 23:15 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL. Idea Samuel
- 22 Jul 23:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for M'Poku
- 22 Jul 22:45 FRANCE/ MONACO, Offer for Cerci ready
- 22 Jul 22:30 ITALY/ INTER, Agreement for Medel
- 22 Jul 22:15 SPAIN/ GETAFE, Michel about to join
- 22 Jul 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Empoli sign Guarente
- 22 Jul 21:45 BRAZIL/ CRUZEIRO, Offer for Robinho
- 22 Jul 21:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, QPR sign Caulker
- 22 Jul 21:15 ITALY/ INTER, Plan for Bacca
- 22 Jul 21:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Juventus on Nastasic
- 22 Jul 20:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, A new suitor for Borriello
- 22 Jul 20:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, 3 new Brazilian suitors for Robinho
- 22 Jul 20:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, In touch with Camacho
- 22 Jul 20:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Independiente sign Lucero on long-term deal
- 22 Jul 19:45 QATAR/ LEKWHIYA, Duel to Liverpool for signing Bony: Laudrup wants him back
- 22 Jul 19:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Magnusson about to join Cesena on loan
- 22 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mario Arques joins Elche
- 22 Jul 19:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: New lead over Everton, Wolfsburg and Juventus on Lukaku
- 22 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Steps forward towards Armero
- 22 Jul 18:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bojan Krkic joins Stoke City
Fulham have signed the midfielder Thomas Eisfeld(21) from Arsenal on a two-year deal.
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...