APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Other news Other News
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 04 May 12:20 DUNDEE - Paatelainen to leave after relegation
- 30 Apr 09:19 BENFICA: Jardel: "Great supporters, important victory"
- 27 Apr 13:17 GLASGOW RANGERS - Target Hollooway
- 26 Apr 14:02 DINAMO KYIV - Veloso: "I want to leave"
- 25 Apr 11:30 UCL/ MAN CITY v REAL MADRID - Zidane takes the entire squad to Manchester
- 23 Apr 12:09 BENFICA, Talisca to China?
- 23 Apr 07:51 AJAX- Milik ready to leave
- 22 Apr 09:11 ANDERLECHT - Proto could leave
- 17 Apr 17:57 MLS - Drogba opens 2016 season with sublime backheel
- 15 Apr 18:32 CHAMPIONS - Another Madrid final still possible
- 15 Apr 17:52 EURO 16 - Coentrao set to miss Euros
- 15 Apr 16:57 CHAMPIONS - Pellegrini returns to the Bernabeu
- 14 Apr 18:05 BARCELONA - Messi playing with muscle problems
- 13 Apr 12:26 UCL / Atletico v Barcelona: There can only be on
- 12 Apr 21:47 UCL / Manchester City 1-0 Paris Saint-Germain (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 UCL / REAL MADRID 3-0 WOLFSBURG (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Results
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / MAN.CITY 0 - 0 PSG (first time)
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / R.MADRID 2 - 0 WOLFSBURG (first time)
- 11 Apr 13:18 CHAMPIONS - Zinedine Zidane faces most crucial week of his career as Real Madrid coach
- 10 Apr 22:45 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Nacional 4 - 1 Estoril
- 10 Apr 22:40 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Braga 1 - 1 Moreirense
- 10 Apr 22:31 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Pacos de Ferreira 1 - 0 FC Porto
- 09 Apr 11:59 CHAMPIONS - Pep: Wolfsburg a lesson for Madrid
- 09 Apr 10:56 EURO 2016 - Injury hits Henderson's Euro 2016 hopes
- 08 Apr 12:26 Villarreal 2-1 Sparta Prague - Bakambu double gives hosts advantage
- 08 Apr 11:58 Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool - Liverpool stand firm at Dortmund
- 08 Apr 11:31 Sporting Braga 1-2 Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukrainians have put one foot in the last four
- 07 Apr 11:33 SCOTLAND - Rangers return to elite
- 07 Apr 10:51 Infantino says Cross Trading contract 'properly conducted' by UEFA
- 07 Apr 09:58 UEFA headquarters raided by Swiss police
- 06 Apr 23:17 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Janko renews short-term for FC Basel
- 06 Apr 22:39 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Eyes on Vilhena
- 06 Apr 11:16 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Vidal gives Bayern Munich slender first leg advantage
- 06 Apr 10:03 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Simeone: "I am not saying everything that I want to say"
- 06 Apr 09:24 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Suárez joy at fightback but Atleti not done yet
- 05 Apr 19:35 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Benfica line-ups
- 03 Apr 20:21 Italian football mourns Cesare Maldini
- 02 Apr 10:59 IRELAND - Captain Keane out for up to six weeks
- 31 Mar 22:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Mexico book ticket to the Hex
- 31 Mar 09:58 ENGLAND - Hodgson full of praise for England defenders
- 30 Mar 16:09 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - PORTUGAL 2-1 BELGIUM: Ronaldo sharpens his fangs
- 30 Mar 15:36 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - FRANCE 4-2 RUSSIA: Griezmann turns creator as France overthrow Russia
- 30 Mar 15:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - GERMANY 4-1 ITALY: Germany lay down a marker
- 30 Mar 14:32 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - ENGLAND 1-2 NETHERLANDS: Janssen bursts England's bubble
- 29 Mar 17:56 ENGLAND - Milner: "This is most competitive England squad in my time"
- 28 Mar 20:15 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Snipers in France - Russia
- 28 Mar 14:51 FRANCE - Payet: "There is no discomfort between us"
- 27 Mar 15:07 ENGLAND - Hodgson "It was my best night with England"
- 27 Mar 14:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - 40,000 fans watch Nigeria vs Egypt in 25,000 capacity stadium
- 26 Mar 11:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Luis Suarez bitter Brazil: BRASIL 2 - 2 URUGUAY
- 26 Mar 09:57 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Holland 2 - 3 France honors Cruyff with 14th minute stoppage
- 25 Mar 16:30 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - This Friday's Holland vs France game will be stopped in the 14th minute
- 25 Mar 12:40 ARGENTINA - Messi: "We had to win"
- 24 Mar 12:50 OFFICIAL - Dutch football legend Johan Cruyff dies
- 24 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL: SPAIN v ITALY - Spain bring a real attacking threat
- 24 Mar 10:33 EURO 16 - Don't miss these eleven young promises in Euro 2016
- 23 Mar 20:16 HOLLAND - Ajax keen on Andres Roa
- 23 Mar 19:29 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Long-term contract ready for Schelotto
- 23 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL - Tebas: European Super League would be "failure" on all fronts
- 23 Mar 09:31 BELGIUM - Antonio Muñoz: "There is anxiousness, fear and nobody in the street"
- 23 Mar 09:00 INTERNATIONAL - FIFA launches Germany 2006 probe
- 22 Mar 11:00 BELGIUM cancel training following Brussels attacks
- 20 Mar 22:30 PSV 0 AJAX 2
- 20 Mar 15:15 LA GALAXY - Galaxy win 3-1 but Gerrard departs game after injury
- 18 Mar 22:48 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 22:23 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 21:58 ENGLAND - Today's transfers
- 17 Mar 22:45 SPORTING BRAGA 4 (4) v FENERBAHCE 1 (2)
- 17 Mar 22:30 SEVILLA 3 (3) v BASEL 0 (0)
- 17 Mar 22:20 ANDERLECHT 0 (1) v SHAKHTAR DONETSK 1 (4)
- 17 Mar 22:10 TOTTENHAM 1 (1) v BORUSSIA DORTMUND 2 (5)
- 17 Mar 22:00 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (1) v LIVERPOOL 1 (3)
- 17 Mar 20:12 Lazio 0 (1) v SPARTA PRAGUE 3 (4)
- 17 Mar 20:04 BAYER LEVERKUSEN 0 (0) v VILLARREAL 0 (2)
- 17 Mar 19:56 VALENCIA 2 (2) ATHLETIC BILBAO 2 (2)
- 17 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 16 Mar 21:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Julio Cesar close to renew
- 16 Mar 17:30 Bale may miss Wales warm-up games
- 16 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 15 Mar 13:30 ENGLAND: BOLTON part ways with manager Neil Lennon
- 15 Mar 13:00 Conte to step down following Euro 2016
- 14 Mar 19:00 Eto'o: "Messi is the best. It was him playing with me, not me with him"
- 11 Mar 15:15 CHILE - Sampaoli: "Boca contacted me but wasn't my aspiration"
- 11 Mar 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE / Advantage Dortmund, Villarreal, Athletic, Fenerbahçe & Shakhtar
- 11 Mar 07:46 BENFICA eye Fulham's Moussa Dembele
- 10 Mar 20:58 OFFICIAL - Lokomotiv Plovdiv sign ex Basel's Ivanov
- 10 Mar 16:00 CHAMPIONS / Benfica and PSG join Real Madrid and Wolfsburg
- 09 Mar 18:55 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL / OFFICIAL : French FA documents seized as part of Blatter probe
- 08 Mar 18:00 EXCLUSIVE / The brains behind Football Leaks named
- 07 Mar 13:42 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL / Royal rumble for European Golden Shoe
- 25 May 11:58 LIVERPOOL - Ward and Bogdan set to leave
- 25 May 11:49 ARSENAL, Wenger about Xhaka: "We have been watching him for a long time"
- 25 May 11:44 AJAX appointed Peter Bosz
- 25 May 11:43 Pictures: Xhaka in Arsenal colours
- 25 May 11:36 OFFICIAL, Arsenal agree deal with Granit Xhaka
- 25 May 11:29 MANCHESTER UNITED - Scholes: "Giggs would be sad if he left the club"
- 25 May 11:17 RANGERS - Barton: "I am an Evertonian"
- 25 May 11:09 PSG won't sell Cavani
- 25 May 10:54 LEICESTER - Simpson willing to stay
- 25 May 10:39 PSG reject a £45m bid for Marquinhos
- 25 May 10:25 BORDEAUX to appoint Wilmots
- 25 May 10:10 WEST HAM keen on Calleri
- 25 May 09:54 CHELSEA keen on Simon Kjaer
- 25 May 09:41 NAPOLI won't sell Raul Albiol
- 25 May 09:26 BARCELONA - Messi: "I'll go back to Argentina"
- 25 May 09:19 SOUTHAMPTON want to keep Koeman
- 25 May 09:01 EVERTON - Ronald de Boer: "Frank is eager to take over"
- 25 May 08:24 MANCHESTER UNITED, they can land Cristiano Ronaldo for £80m
- 25 May 08:16 MANCHESTER UNITED, Benzema is a major target
- 25 May 08:04 MANCHESTER UNITED, Cantona believes United are getting the wrong manager
- 25 May 08:04 PSG, Cavani going nowhere
- 24 May 23:54 BREAKING NEWS - Josè Mourinho agreed personal terms with United
- 24 May 22:09 BARCELONA - Sandro Ramirez to leave
- 24 May 21:51 LIVERPOOL - Karius new signing
- 24 May 21:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Carroll to join Linfield
- 24 May 21:05 LIVERPOOL - Gotze father 'I know nothing'
- 24 May 20:32 LIVERPOOL - Kolo Toure offered new deal
- 24 May 20:06 WEST HAM - considering Calleri
- 24 May 19:37 JUVENTUS - Morata urged to stay
- 24 May 19:20 LIVERPOOL and MANCHESTER UNITED fined by UEFA
- 24 May 19:15 BARCELONA - Sandro to leave
- 24 May 18:41 NICE - official Lucien Favre takes management
- 24 May 17:58 Glasgow Rangers, Barton: "Irrelevant all other offers received"
- 24 May 17:52 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Pedro Santos renews for Sporting Braga
- 24 May 17:41 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'm ready to sell Milan to Chinese"
- 24 May 17:36 AS ROMA, Iago Falqué might be the key for signing Bruno Peres
- 24 May 17:24 Ancelotti: "Mourinho is one of the best, is perfect for Manchester United"
- 24 May 17:21 WEST HAM, Deal with Besiktas: Gokhan Töre about to join
- 24 May 17:17 Torino, for the midfield like Empoli player Diousse'
- 24 May 17:16 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool sign Karius
- 24 May 17:12 ENGLAND/ BOURNEMOUTH, Approaching Milosevic
- 24 May 16:55 OGC NICE, Favre is the new OGC Nice manager
- 24 May 16:12 SWANSEA - Eder moves to Lille
- 24 May 15:32 MANCHESTER UNITED - Woodward meets Mourinho's agent
- 24 May 15:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Deal for Gundogan close
- 24 May 14:30 HAMBURG, Rudnevs might be joining Darmstadt
- 24 May 14:13 LAZIO, Suggestion for Albanian international Ajeti
- 24 May 13:57 STOKE CITY to keep Marko Arnautovic
- 24 May 13:46 ATLETICO MADRID - Koke is eager to stay
- 24 May 13:33 CHELSEA - Begovic: "Terry has presence, his extension is very important"
Eric Cantona believes Manchester United are getting the wrong manager. Jose Mourinho is expected to be confirmed as successor to Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford in the next two days, but Cantona, so synonymous with United's success under Sir Alex Ferguson, thinks Pep Guardiola
According to Sky Sport there were advances in the negotiations between Lazio and Cesare Prandelli. After meeting between the Biancocelesti and former
Raphael Varane, Real Madrid defender, has spoken at L'Equipe: Euro 2016? :" The idea is really to live an important stage of my career
Louis Van Gaal it is no longer Manchester United's manager. The club, with a brief note on his official site, announced Dutch departure with immed
OGC Nice announced having signed Swiss 58 years old Lucien Favre as their new manager. Former Borussia Monchengladbach and Hertha Berlin trainer joins
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was elected by Kicker, Bundesliga's best player. A prestigious award for the Armenian Borussia Dortmund midfielder followed in