APOEL, Solari seeks brotherly love for APOEL cause
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Esteban Solari's brother Santiago won the UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid CF but on Tuesday the APOEL FC forward hopes "there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team".
APOEL FC forward Esteban Solari says he will not feel any special emotions on Tuesday when he takes on Real Madrid CF, a club with whom his brother Santiago spent five seasons as a player.
The Cypriot title holders face the biggest game in the island's football history when they welcome Madrid to a sold-out GSP Stadium for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final. Solari, APOEL's top scorer in the league, is aiming for his first goal in the competition proper and the Argentinian's family link to the Spanish club, where his elder sibling played between 2000 and 2005 and won this tournament in 2002, has certainly been at the front of his mind.
"I spoke to my brother and other members of my family after the draw," Solari said. "We spoke a bit about the history of the club and who they are. But that doesn't change my feelings about this tie with respects to my brother having played for them. I go into this game just like any other player in the team. We are confident and we believe in ourselves."
However, the 31-year-old former UD Almería striker added: "My brother is obviously a big supporter of Real and he will be hoping that they can go on to lift the trophy. But somehow, I believe there will be a piece of his heart rooting for my team tomorrow as well."
APOEL have been the surprise package of this season's competition, their progress aided by winning five of their seven home games. Coach Ivan Jovanović has been praised for creating a well-organised unit out of players deemed surplus to requirements by their previous clubs and others in the twilight of their careers. Even so, Solari warned Madrid that APOEL would not just be relying on a good result on Tuesday, given that they have only lost two away games in their unexpected run.
"This first game is always important but we have shown in this competition that we are not the sort of side that solely relies on their home form," he said. "We will be looking at this tie against Real as a two-legged tie and not just solely focusing on our home game."
No Cypriot side have ever got so far in a major UEFA club competition before and Solari vowed to do all he could to please the huge numbers on the island glued to their televisions on Tuesday evening. "We respect Real very much," he said. "We know that they are a great side with quality players but we will need to be ready and to play with our hearts.
"We need to approach what will be a very difficult game with the same approach as in the previous games in this competition. It's a great challenge for us to be playing at such a level in such a competition and something that many of us may possibly only experience once in a lifetime."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 06 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ WERDER, Garcia injured
- 05 Mar 18:02 HOLLAND, Van Gaal: "Netherlands are World Cup outsiders"
- 05 Mar 17:16 FRANCE, Zinedine Zidane 'proud' of son Enzo after France call-up
- 05 Mar 07:15 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is the new NT coach
- 04 Mar 07:17 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Ulmer injured
- 03 Mar 07:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Season over for Rajkovic
- 02 Mar 08:30 HOLLAND/ NT, Agreement with Hiddink
- 01 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pasqual injured
- 28 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sabatini at Roma until 2017
- 27 Feb 17:14 GREECE, Santos will leave after the World Cup
- 27 Feb 07:17 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Perrin is the NT new coach
- 26 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, DIas out for three weeks
- 25 Feb 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Bender out for two months
- 24 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Florenzi injured
- 22 Feb 07:57 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Ibai Gomez injured
- 21 Feb 07:40 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Assaidi out for 6 weeks
- 20 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, Chivu underwent surgery
- 19 Feb 13:00 ITALY, Prandelli: "Balotelli needs balance"
- 18 Feb 19:31 A-League All Stars, Del Piero: "Welcome Juventus"
- 18 Feb 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Wendt injured
- 15 Feb 07:57 RUSSIA/ KUBAN, Baldé injured
- 14 Feb 12:31 TENERIFE, Perez's agent: "Contacts with Porto"
- 14 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Savic out for 10 days
- 13 Feb 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Manquillo injured
- 12 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, Hernanes injured
- 11 Feb 19:00 BRAZIL, Fernandinho and Rafinha called up to Brazil squad
- 11 Feb 15:00 ITALY, Prandelli coy on Italy future
- 11 Feb 07:17 GERMANY/ NUREMBERG, Chandler out for two months
- 08 Feb 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hiddink will work for PSV
- 07 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Cristante injured
- 06 Feb 13:33 Soccerex, Premier League Tops Europe's Big Spenders
- 06 Feb 07:17 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Fletcher injured
- 05 Feb 07:17 PERU/ NT, Decisive meeting with Moriero
- 04 Feb 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Villa injured
- 01 Feb 11:30 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Ibarbo underwent surgery
- 31 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ TIM CUP, Semi-finals schedule
- 30 Jan 08:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Hummels ready to come back
- 29 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Good news for Rossi
- 28 Jan 07:17 PERU/ NT, Moriero the next coach?
- 27 Jan 15:41 ITALY, Prandelli: "We need to think about helping Balotelli"
- 27 Jan 07:00 SPAIN/ BETIS, Vadillo out for one month
- 26 Jan 07:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Blaszczykowski injured
- 25 Jan 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Valero injured
- 23 Jan 07:17 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao seriously injured
- 22 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Season over for Ederson
- 21 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Tomovic injured
- 11 Mar 06:57 RENNES, Alessandrini: "I dream to play for OM"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 11 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "I hope to stay"
- 10 Mar 23:37 USA/ OFFICIAL, Djalò joins San Jose
- 10 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Offer for Hernandez ready
- 10 Mar 22:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ain fire Sanchez-Flores
- 10 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Baumgartner closer
- 10 Mar 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL, Courtois could join in 2015
- 10 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shea back to Stoke City
- 10 Mar 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin likely to renew
- 10 Mar 21:17 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Spalletti risks to be fired
- 10 Mar 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabiot's renewal farther
- 10 Mar 20:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL. Contreras joins Gimnasia
- 10 Mar 20:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Pedro could renew
- 10 Mar 20:00 FRANCE/ OM, Lopez likely to renew
- 10 Mar 19:45 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Sprint for Zivkovic
- 10 Mar 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Hasi is Anderlecht new coach
- 10 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sommer will play for Borussia M.
- 10 Mar 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain warns Bayern Munich
- 10 Mar 18:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola warning for Arsenal
- 10 Mar 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zapata: "I think in the Champions we’ve been very compact and solid"
- 10 Mar 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sampdoria, Ceo Sagramola quits
- 10 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos hints at Premier switch
- 10 Mar 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I think we're also negotiating with Palacio"
- 10 Mar 17:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva: "Market? I'm happy in Paris"
- 10 Mar 17:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Contra is Getafe new coach
- 10 Mar 16:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN LEVERKUSEN, Hegeler out
- 10 Mar 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe: Julio Cesar Jacobi the new goalie
- 10 Mar 16:16 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pochettino wants Quagliarella at Southampton
- 10 Mar 16:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Anderlecht: axed the coach van den Brom
- 10 Mar 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE,
- 10 Mar 15:22 FRANCE/ LYON, Lacazette rejects Liverpool
- 10 Mar 15:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa dreaming Manchester United
- 10 Mar 14:15 INTER, Zanetti: "Important to move forward together with Inter"
- 10 Mar 14:03 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Balotelli has a slight pain which I think he can cope with"
- 10 Mar 13:44 INTER, Fassone: "The president envisages a very balanced side, Mazzarri is a sure thing"
- 10 Mar 13:30 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on Stiepermann
- 10 Mar 13:15 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Joel Campbell set to get back to Arsenal
- 10 Mar 13:00 ITALY/ INTER, Move for Bonaventura
- 10 Mar 12:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Eyes on Farfán
- 10 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are in good mind, we have a chance against Bayern"
- 10 Mar 12:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna won't leave
- 10 Mar 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Moving nearer Chicharito
- 10 Mar 11:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan for Alex
- 10 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to English rivals for Barkley
- 10 Mar 11:15 ITALY/ LAZIO, One more Premier League suitor for Onazi
- 10 Mar 11:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He looks regenerated, goal was important"
- 10 Mar 10:45 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Survey on Mathieu
Bayern Munich cannot afford to be complacent against Arsenal in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 clash on Tuesday night, coach Pep Guardiola has warned.
"Winning 2-0 in London was a very good result for us, but it is also dangerous," said...
Interviewed by Sky Sport 24, Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has declared: "Ending my career at Juve? I hope so, I will be 30 in...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared about the possibility to join Real...
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, talking about Everton success, Champions League and FA Cup, declared: "It was important for us to...
To Fifa.com, the midfielder of Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo has spoken about his future.
"It’s always nice when big clubs are...
Interviewed by Canal Football Club, Rennes midfielder Rennes Alessandrini has declared: "As all the players, I dream to play for a great...