CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerěn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, It’s 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 07 Feb 12:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "If you love football, you love Rosicky"
- 07 Feb 06:59 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "A bit frustrated about the transfer market"
- 06 Feb 18:43 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "There will be a special atmosphere. We'll have to be cautious defense-wise"
- 06 Feb 16:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Welbeck is back. Bielik? He's coming very well"
- 06 Feb 15:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Koscielny: "Bellerin and Coquelin will help us a lot, they are ready"
- 06 Feb 06:19 LEICESTER, Pearson: "Quite happy with the transfer market"
- 05 Feb 20:30 BREAKING NEWS - ARSENAL, Possible new smoke-related crisis for Wilshere
- 05 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "There's a great goalkeeping tradition in Colombia. I've been always dreaming of Premier League"
- 05 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Sanchez injured: no city derby against Tottenham for Chilean star
- 05 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Happy that I didn't join West Ham"
- 04 Feb 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Leaving is the best solution"
- 03 Feb 17:39 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Gilberto is a mirror for me"
- 03 Feb 11:09 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "I’m going to be part of such a big club"
- 02 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Drogba: "I will play here in the next season"
- 02 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "I don't see myself with another team"
- 30 Jan 06:19 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "We still hope to sign Fletcher"
- 29 Jan 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "I don't think we'll replace Eto'o"
- 28 Jan 06:19 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I want to remain in England"
- 27 Jan 06:19 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He is not for sale"
- 26 Jan 14:03 CHELSEA, Drogba: "When I came to England, things were difficult"
- 26 Jan 13:36 LIVERPOOL, Sturridge returns to full training
- 26 Jan 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "I have talked with Fletcher's agent"
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 02 Mar 17:22 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Vietto open to offers
- 02 Mar 17:10 FRANCE/ PSG, Manchester United interested in Lavezzi
- 02 Mar 16:59 AC MILAN, Montolivo and De Jong out
- 02 Mar 16:44 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, De Bruyne: "I'd like to end my career at L.A. Galaxy"
- 02 Mar 16:40 GERMANY/BAYERN MUNICH, Ribery: "Betrayed after the injury"
- 02 Mar 16:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker can leave in June
- 02 Mar 16:30 ITALY/ JUVE, Observing Juan Mata of Man. United
- 02 Mar 16:20 ENGLAND/ UNITED & Chelsea, in €30million Barcelona star Pedro
- 02 Mar 16:00 GERMANY/ WOLSFBURG, Perisic's agent: "Renewal? We hope to can find a solution"
- 02 Mar 15:27 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Eyes on Kara Mbodj
- 02 Mar 14:57 GIBRALTAR/ OFFICIAL, NT selector Bula got fired
- 02 Mar 14:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma target Mandanda
- 02 Mar 13:59 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rutten leaves Feyenoord after season ends
- 02 Mar 13:00 ITALY/ GENOA, 4 years agreement with Lazovic
- 02 Mar 12:27 ITALY/ TORINO, 3 Serie A rivals towards Brosco
- 02 Mar 11:58 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Isco the impossible dream of Pellegrini
- 02 Mar 11:38 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique will be the coach also next year
- 02 Mar 10:45 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Tracking Mbakogu
- 02 Mar 10:00 ITALY/ INTER, 2 Bundesliga clubs keen on Puscas
- 02 Mar 09:45 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, MLS perspective for Van Der Vaart
- 02 Mar 09:30 ITALY/ EMPOLI, A new German suitor for Hysaj
- 02 Mar 09:15 ARSENAL, EVERTON & WEST HAM: Duel to Newcastle on Glik
- 02 Mar 09:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Auction for Darmian
- 02 Mar 08:30 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Shijiazhuang sign Rondón
- 02 Mar 07:57 ITALY/ PALERMO, Morganella injured
- 02 Mar 07:27 OL, Fekir: "I want to play in the Grande Stade"
- 02 Mar 06:59 HANNOVER, Dufner: "Korkut is confirmed"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 02 Mar 06:00 VILLARREAL, Vietto: "Inter or Real? I'm focused on my team"
- 02 Mar 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "Icardi will be part of our future"
- 01 Mar 23:27 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Stuani renews with Espanyol
- 01 Mar 22:57 ITALY/ INTER, Idea Reina
- 01 Mar 22:29 FRANCE/ NICE, Also OM after Carlos Eduardo
- 01 Mar 21:59 ITALY/ JUVE, Mission for Dybala
- 01 Mar 21:30 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Agreement for Stuani's new deal
- 01 Mar 21:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Real after Savic
- 01 Mar 20:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Pastore about to renew
- 01 Mar 19:57 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Metalisr sign Caiado
- 01 Mar 19:29 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, New deal for Bastos ready
- 01 Mar 18:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Mission for Savic
- 01 Mar 18:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Smarason joins Torpedo
- 01 Mar 18:00 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, Still keen on Gignac
- 01 Mar 17:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, New deal for Vitolo ready
- 01 Mar 16:00 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Akahoshi joins Pogon
- 01 Mar 15:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Teikeu joins Terek
- 01 Mar 14:00 BELGIUM/ LOKEREN, Three German clubs after Galitos
- 01 Mar 13:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Rostov
- 01 Mar 12:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Eyes on Kruse
- 01 Mar 11:00 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Markov joins Ural
- 01 Mar 10:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Keen on De Sciglio
Currently on a deal with Torino until June 2017 and possibly renewing soon, Polish international centre-back Kamil Glik (27), offering an outstanding Serie A seasonal performance and scorer of the victory goal against Napoli last night (6th one in 2014/15), has been targeted by 3
Interviewed by Sky Sport before the game against Fiorentina, Inter Milan Director of Football Piero Ausilio has declared about 21-year-old forward Mau
Interviewed by AS, Villarreal forward Luciano Vietto has declared: "First of all I am thinking about doing well for my team, then, if I will rece
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has declared about 31-year-old midfielder Yaya Touré: "He is very happy here, he's an import
Interviewed by L'Equipe, PSG defender Marquinhos has declared: "Manchester United's interest? It's something nice for me, but PSG ref
Wolfsburg attacking midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has declared: "I never said that I want to leave next Summer. In football it wouldn't be smart