CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 02 Sep 08:30 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "Never received an offer from WBA"
- 31 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Wanyama and Mane will stay"
- 30 Aug 10:59 MAN. CITY, Kompany welcomes De Bruyne
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 27 Aug 08:39 WEST BROM. , Peace: "Berahino won't leave"
- 21 Aug 06:29 WATFORD, Sanchez Flores: "Soon a decision about Vydra"
- 20 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri's agent: "Inter? Nothing concrete"
- 19 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 14 Aug 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Obertan: "I want to stay"
- 13 Aug 19:29 ARSENAL, Wenger is unsure about Rosicky's absence
- 13 Aug 08:39 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "I want to stay"
- 12 Aug 18:10 ARSENAL, Rosicky out for up to two months
- 12 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "No news about his future"
- 11 Aug 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect Stones to stay"
- 10 Aug 11:40 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho struck from 25 yards out in the 86th minute to win
- 10 Aug 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Optimistic about Shaqiri"
- 09 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "I hope we'll announce a new signing soon"
- 08 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Benzema? Just media talk"
- 07 Aug 06:29 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "Happy with my team"
- 06 Aug 06:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "We are not after Coloccini"
- 05 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Great if Benzema would join us, but.."
- 04 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Soldado to Real? I can't confirm"
- 03 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Nothing true about Benzema"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 18 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "Many offers for him"
- 18 Jul 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are in talks for Filipe Luis"
- 17 Jul 06:59 MAN. UTD, Rooney: "Moving to the US? Could be..."
- 14 Jul 11:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Cech has lifted us"
- 14 Jul 10:37 LEICESTER CITY, Ranieri: "I wish to thank the owner, his son and all the executives of the Club"
- 13 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael's agent: "He could join Benfica"
- 10 Jul 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 09 Jul 06:29 ASTON VIllA, Richards: "Inter wanted me, but.."
- 08 Jul 06:29 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "I'm confident we'll make the right signings"
- 07 Jul 15:10 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why I love our overseas fans"
- 07 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Milner: "Great to be here"
- 06 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Relaxed about my future"
- 02 Jul 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Letting Cech leave was the right decision"
- 01 Jul 20:15 ARSENAL, Cech: "I’m sure I’ll settle quickly"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 02 Sep 10:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAl, QPR: Onuoha pens new deal
- 02 Sep 09:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ilori joins Aston Villa
- 02 Sep 09:30 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Galatasaray sign Großkreutz
- 02 Sep 09:15 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Carriço injured
- 02 Sep 09:00 OM, De Ceglie: "Happy to be here"
- 02 Sep 08:45 BAYERN, Xabi Alonso: "Too early to talk about my new contract"
- 02 Sep 08:30 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "Never received an offer from WBA"
- 02 Sep 08:15 MALAGA, Santa Cruz: "Great to be here"
- 02 Sep 08:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We were hoping to obtain Witsel on loan"
- 02 Sep 02:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Rio Ave sign Krovinovic
- 02 Sep 01:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Moses joins West Ham
- 02 Sep 01:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Wakaso joins Las Palmas
- 02 Sep 01:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Emerson Palmieri joins Roma
- 02 Sep 01:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Woods joins Ross County back
- 02 Sep 00:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Everton sign Funes Mori
- 02 Sep 00:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Büchel joins Empoli
- 02 Sep 00:15 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rennes yield Ngando on a full basis
- 02 Sep 00:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Chievo will try again for José Mauri's loan in January
- 01 Sep 23:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Raspentino joins Bastia back
- 01 Sep 23:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Dossevi joins Standard
- 01 Sep 23:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Taider joins Bologna back
- 01 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan sign Kellett
- 01 Sep 22:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Joaquin joins Betis
- 01 Sep 22:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, St. Johnstone sign Hurst and loan out two youngsters
- 01 Sep 22:15 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Cruzeiro fire Luxemburgo
- 01 Sep 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL: Empoli sign Livaja, Büchel and Cosic
- 01 Sep 21:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa loan Bennett out to Bournemouth
- 01 Sep 21:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Partizan sign Stevanović
- 01 Sep 21:15 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Layun joins Porto
- 01 Sep 21:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Pinzi joins Chievo Verona back
- 01 Sep 20:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Šćepović joins Getafe
- 01 Sep 20:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL: Carpi sign Borriello, Belec and Cofie
- 01 Sep 20:15 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Ñíguez
- 01 Sep 20:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rotherham sign Lee Camp
- 01 Sep 19:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Stevanović quits Torino
- 01 Sep 19:30 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, River Plate loan Tomas Andrade to English side
- 01 Sep 19:15 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, De Ceglie joins OM
- 01 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bournemouth sign Murray from Crystal Palace
- 01 Sep 18:45 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Former New Yorker Adam Nemec joins Willem II
- 01 Sep 18:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Gomis joins Frosinone
- 01 Sep 18:15 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Filipe Augusto joins Braga
- 01 Sep 18:07 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli: WBA interested in David Lopez
- 01 Sep 17:47 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Hernandez: "I want to feel important at Bayer Leverkusen"
- 01 Sep 17:35 ITALY/ JUVE, Hernanes overjoyed by Juventus move
- 01 Sep 17:34 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton sign van Dijk
- 01 Sep 17:24 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham: Michail Antonio sign
- 01 Sep 17:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aston Villa: arrives Joleon Lescott
- 01 Sep 13:29 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Moses extends before to leave
- 01 Sep 13:14 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Stearman is undergoing a medical
- 01 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Kokorin still a target
24-year-old defender Ramiro Funes Mori has left River Plate to sign for Everton.
AC Milan Chief Executive Adriano Galliani has declared: "Our transfer market campaign? It has been very long, with eight new players signed. We h
Malaga new striker Roque Santa Cruz has declared: "I am very happy to be here again, I feel grateful. I feel home, and the people and the club ma
Liverpool defender Jose Enrique stated: "Just to let you all know that it wasn’t any offer from west brown for me. I’m happy to stay
OM new wingback Paolo De Ceglie has declared: "I am very happy, it has been something sudden, but I am very happy to be here. OM is a great team
Bayern Munich midfielder Xabi Alonso told Kicker: "Just one year left on my contract. I am not worried. There is still time".