CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 30 Nov 13:32 CHELSEA, Mourinho insists Costa should feel 'privileged'
- 27 Nov 22:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Caballero: "Hart is injured, and that's no good for us. But I have to step in"
- 24 Nov 13:27 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea on Red Devils good moment: "Steady CL route after first defeat. Depay will bring a lot to us against PSV"
- 21 Nov 02:56 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "Sterling must improve"
- 19 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Wenger: on Paris tragedy: "I wasn't far from the attacks. France will deal with that, England showed a lot of class in their support"
- 17 Nov 14:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I wish I had played with Suarez at Barca"
- 17 Nov 14:16 MANCHESTER CITY, Negredo undergoes surgery for appendicitis
- 16 Nov 16:59 MANCHESTER CITY, Solidarity messages to the city of Paris
- 15 Nov 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Henderson and club's homages to Heysel and Paris victims
- 13 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Pires: "Henry can be a successor for Wenger"
- 13 Nov 21:21 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why Wenger's decision to bench me was a good move"
- 13 Nov 02:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, De Gea: "I'm happy again at United after Madrid transfer collapse"
- 13 Nov 00:46 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "I take no pleasure from Mourinho losing"
- 12 Nov 23:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "I can’t wait to come back"
- 12 Nov 17:29 MANCHESTER UNITED, Medical report on Antonio Valencia's surgery
- 11 Nov 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay hits back at critics
- 09 Nov 16:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "Defeating Livepool felt good. We are playing above our beliefs"
- 05 Nov 22:41 MANCHESTER CITY, Sterling: "Quality at City a step up from Liverpool"
- 05 Nov 07:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Herrera: "Relief for Rooney's goal, he's our leader. Good defence is the key for a great season"
- 04 Nov 11:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin out for Bayern Munich
- 03 Nov 16:44 CHELSEA, Mourinho defiant: "I have years left at Chelsea"
- 03 Nov 08:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Achieving quality playing in Premier League is hard"
- 02 Nov 22:44 ASTON VILLA, Lerner expects better
- 02 Nov 12:44 CHELSEA, Diego Costa could be banned for four matches
- 29 Oct 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after Gunners failure at Hillsborough: "Owls were brighter than us. I don't know the entity of Ox's and Walcott's injuries"
- 29 Oct 00:30 CHELSEA, Zola wants Blues's Terry at Qatari club
- 28 Oct 21:09 ENGLAND, Arsenal legend Henry: What I like most about Man Utd whizkid Martial
- 28 Oct 18:00 CHELSEA, Remy: "Don't sack Mourinho"
- 28 Oct 08:57 EVERTON, Martinez: "Great victory over Norwich. Robles is showing how reliable he is"
- 27 Oct 14:00 NEWCASTLE, Janmaat: "Club not in relegation fight just yet"
- 27 Oct 06:59 WEST HAM, Kouyaté: "Happy for Carroll. Being third is great"
- 26 Oct 23:30 ENGLAND, Arsenal Fined
- 26 Oct 16:00 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "Leicester's goal was our mistake"
- 26 Oct 13:44 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We have a hard-working mentality"
- 26 Oct 12:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Walcott deserved to start"
- 26 Oct 11:32 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Don't need to sign anyone in January"
- 23 Oct 18:10 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini thinks that fans have a right to peacefully make their feelings known
- 23 Oct 15:13 TOTTENHAM, Alderweireld after yesterday defeat: "Obviously we are disappointed"
- 23 Oct 14:59 LIVERPOOL, Mignolet:"We're still second in the group, so we can look forward"
- 23 Oct 14:46 LIVERPOOL, Origi: "Qualification is still in our own hands"
- 22 Oct 23:30 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew calls for referee reviews
- 22 Oct 22:00 ENGLAND, Houllier: "Klopp ideal manager for Liverpool at this time"
- 22 Oct 20:16 ARSENAL, Ramsey ruled out for at least three weeks
- 22 Oct 20:00 LIVERPOOL Klopp sends message to Reds fans
- 21 Oct 09:27 ARSENAL, Cazorla after triumph over Bayern: "We feel very good now, we made it as a team"
- 20 Oct 17:27 ARSENAL, Wenger before umpteenth Bayern clash: "We often get good results against German giants"
- 20 Oct 12:30 CHELSEA, Pedro: "Defeating Aston Villa was important. Mourinho gives us a lot of confidence"
- 19 Oct 08:29 ARSENAL, Wenger after blasting Watford: "We showed we can be dangerous against any team"
- 16 Oct 11:42 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Finish my career at Chelsea? It's not possible"
- 16 Oct 08:29 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen on teammate Lloris: "He's an unbelievable goalkeeper, always ready for the best save of his life"
- 15 Oct 11:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho is furious after being fined by the FA
- 15 Oct 07:57 WEST HAM, Moses: "Bilic changed our phylosophy as a team. Good to face Crystal Palace, a club I love"
- 14 Oct 12:43 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Lucas reveals Jürgen Klopp's impact so far
- 14 Oct 06:59 MANCHESTER CITY, Bad news for Pellegrini: no city derby for David Silva
- 13 Oct 13:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Welbeck targets January return for Gunners
- 12 Oct 06:00 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I've never been in trouble as I am now, but I'm not worried"
- 08 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho's agent: "I'm not in talks with Real Madrid"
- 07 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri: "I don't think I'll move back to France"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I don't need a new contract to be motivated"
- 05 Oct 13:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "Alexis' energy is so important"
- 03 Oct 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "In Spain, Barça would be my only choice"
- 02 Oct 15:57 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I talked with my players about what we failed against Porto. Amelia? He can be the right guy for us"
- 02 Oct 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I'd like to work for Wenger"
- 01 Oct 11:30 CHELSEA, Diego Costa after Porto failure: "We need to regain our confidence"
- 29 Sep 20:19 MANCHESTER UNITED, Schweinsteiger keen to mentor Depay and Martial
- 29 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "We have to impose ourselves"
- 29 Sep 18:37 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Olympiakos? I remember my 2011 goal against them..."
- 29 Sep 17:46 BOURNEMOUTH, Long-term injury for Callum Wilson: 6 months out
- 29 Sep 14:14 CHAMPIONS, Porto - Chelsea: Possible lineups
- 29 Sep 14:09 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick: it will be a tough game against Wolfsburg"
- 29 Sep 13:59 CHAMPIONS, Arsenal - Olympiacos Possible lineups Outside chance of Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta appearing
- 29 Sep 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I thought Martial was not for sale"
- 28 Sep 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "There's a group of people that don't want me here"
- 25 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND, Gerrard: “Mourinho is one of the best”
- 24 Sep 14:17 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Happy to have defeated Birmingham, especially for our fans"
- 23 Sep 08:19 WEST HAM, Pulis: "I don't know if we'll sign Vaz Tê"
- 22 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Bellerín: "A move to Liga? No way, I'm staying with Gunners"
- 21 Sep 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "I'm happy here"
- 18 Sep 13:00 CHELSEA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - One ex for every London side
- 18 Sep 07:57 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "He's happy here"
- 18 Sep 06:00 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "It's not been easy against Qarabag. Happy for Sonny"
- 18 Sep 00:59 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - DINAMO ZAGREB (Group F), former stars Modric and Kovacic: "Excited for the guys' victory over Arsenal"
- 17 Sep 17:27 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - MACCABI TEL AVIV (Group G), Jokanovic: "Chelsea played at their highest level, we're working to be more competitive"
- 17 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL, Wilshere will undergo surgery again
- 17 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - CHELSEA (Group G), Mourinho: "Winning after a long time gave us a very good feeling"
- 17 Sep 00:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ARSENAL (Group F), Wenger on Zagreb failure: "We were a bit unlucky. Giroud didn't deserve to get a red card"
- 16 Sep 19:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Kompany: "There was actually nothing wrong with our performance"
- 16 Sep 16:03 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - PSV (Group B), Cocu on victory over United: "We showed anything can be achieved, if you believe in your goals"
- 16 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Funes Mori: "I was about to join Chelsea"
- 16 Sep 01:21 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B), Van Gaal after Dutch disaster: "Shaw was crying in the dressing room"
- 15 Sep 23:42 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER CITY (Group D), Touré after Juventus failure: "Now we need to be strong and bounce back"
- 15 Sep 16:08 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - PSV EINDHOVEN v MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B): Depay faces his own past
- 14 Sep 08:57 CHELSEA, Matic after Goodison Park failure: "I really don't know what happened. Now let's win against Maccabi and Arsenal"
- 13 Sep 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal might even renew
- 12 Sep 20:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA 3-1, Matchbox: Ross Barkley got the game for Toffees
- 12 Sep 15:00 SUNDERLAND v TOTTENHAM, Special Preview - Lloris: "We need to find confidence"
- 12 Sep 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on De Gea's renewal: "I'm delighted, he's one of the best in the world"
- 11 Sep 16:23 MANCHESTER UNITED v LIVERPOOL, Special Preview - Mata: "Playing against Reds is always special. Our fans are thankful from my goals from last season"
- 11 Sep 15:47 WEST HAM v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Ogbonna: "Still celebrating victory over Liverpool, and we are really focused on Magpies"
- 11 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL v STOKE CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere not available tomorrow"
- 30 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, 2 more suitors for Ranocchia
- 30 Nov 20:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Suggestion for Toulalan: willing to replace the injured Tiago
- 30 Nov 19:10 VALENCIA, Nuno Espirito Santo is no more Taronges manager. Voro and Neville as caretakers
- 30 Nov 19:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY: Demichelis between River Plate, MLS and staying put
- 30 Nov 17:57 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Updates on Negredo
- 30 Nov 17:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suggestion for André Ayew
- 30 Nov 16:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brighton sign Towell
- 30 Nov 16:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Townsend as a weapon to snatch Berahino from Chelsea
- 30 Nov 15:37 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Kramaric: "Italy would be good for him, but..."
- 30 Nov 14:44 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, line up £22m bid for defensive midfielder
- 30 Nov 14:31 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Pep may stay
- 30 Nov 14:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA & WEST HAM, Watching Mandragora
- 30 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ BOURNEMOUTH, Winter offer for Gayle ready
- 30 Nov 13:32 CHELSEA, Mourinho insists Costa should feel 'privileged'
- 30 Nov 13:27 ITALY/ UDINESE, An Italian suitor for Domizzi
- 30 Nov 13:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Costa's future in doubt
- 30 Nov 13:04 ITALY/ TORINO, Glik and Maksimovic: renewals are close
- 30 Nov 12:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, One more suitor for Cheryshev
- 30 Nov 12:42 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, From Lisandro Lopez to Marlon
- 30 Nov 12:31 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, LVG keen on Swiss striker
- 30 Nov 12:13 SPAIN/ VALENCIA,Neville take temporary charge as coach
- 30 Nov 11:59 PSG, Thiago Silva: "I want to end my career just here"
- 30 Nov 11:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, To make an offer for Nolito
- 30 Nov 11:10 ENGLAND/ BIRMINGHAM, Rowett set to stay
- 30 Nov 11:00 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Survey on Zielinski
- 30 Nov 10:45 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Redknapp could take charge
- 30 Nov 10:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Trying to hijack Stones from Chelsea and United: 27 million pounds ready
- 30 Nov 10:22 ITALY/ LAZIO, Eyes on a Chelsea defender
- 30 Nov 09:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Aduriz warned off
- 30 Nov 09:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Duel to Genoa on Lapadula
- 30 Nov 09:29 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Steps forward towards Soriano
- 30 Nov 08:59 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, A new German suitor for Olcay Sahan
- 30 Nov 08:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Bids for Diego Costa are open: Real Madrid and PSG weighs it up
- 30 Nov 08:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Alberto Moreno on target
- 30 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Lars Bender
- 29 Nov 23:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Widmer
- 29 Nov 22:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Maksimovic's renewal on arrival
- 29 Nov 21:00 LIVERPOOL & EVERTON, Market city derby for Butland
- 29 Nov 20:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, New attempt ready for D'Ambrosio
- 29 Nov 19:00 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, 5 Premier League clubs on Saivet
- 29 Nov 18:00 BARCELONA FC & JUVENTUS, Full Metal Duel for Embolo
- 29 Nov 17:00 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Survey on Erdinç
- 29 Nov 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Official report on Tiago's surgery
- 29 Nov 15:00 HOLLAND/ AJAX, 3 clubs on Czech talent Cerny
- 29 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Majestic offer to Juventus for Alex Sandro ready: chances are low
- 29 Nov 13:00 SAMPDORIA, Cassano incident denied
- 29 Nov 00:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pogba's agent: "He's not leaving in January, for sure. He makes his choices by listening to his heart"
- 28 Nov 21:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Steps forward towards Neymar's long-term renewal
- 28 Nov 18:00 TURKEY/ GALATARASAY, Cenk Ergün: "We'll weigh up a 10 million euros offer from Inter for Kaya"
- 28 Nov 15:00 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Choupo-Moting on target
Through the following official announcement, Valencia, experiencing a deep team crisis, made known:
"Nuno Espirito Santo has stepped down as Head Coach of Valencia Club de Fútbol by mutual agreement with the club.
The club wishes to thank Nuno and his technical
In response to La Gazzetta dello Sport rumours, regarding a scene supposedly made by veteran forward Antonio Cassano yesterday morning, before Serie A
Through the following official announcement, Valencia, experiencing a deep team crisis, made known:
"Nuno Espirito Santo has stepped down as H
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Diego Costa should feel “privileged” not to have been dropped sooner.
“Diego is very privi
Playing for Paris Saint-Germain since 2012/13 and currently on a deal with French club until June 2018, Brazilian star centre-back Thiago Silva, brief
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi