CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 30 Apr 06:39 CHELSEA, Obi Mikel's agent: "Real Madrid? No comment"
- 29 Apr 12:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Tourè out two weeks
- 29 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We won't sell out best players"
- 28 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Depay? We'll see"
- 27 Apr 17:24 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I'll always be grateful to Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 06 Apr 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "He will join a top club"
- 05 Apr 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cech deserves a new prospective"
- 04 Apr 06:29 LEICESTER, Cambiasso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 02 Apr 12:30 ARSENAL, Debuchy returns to training
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 22 May 13:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger dismissed Ramsey story
- 22 May 13:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Rosicky will stay
- 22 May 13:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Dzemaili
- 22 May 12:48 SPAIN/ SEVILLA FC, Eyes on Martin
- 22 May 12:36 ITALY/ INTER, All on Begovic
- 22 May 12:24 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Sierra is Colo Colo new coach
- 22 May 12:12 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Reina always closer
- 22 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City sign Wollscheid on permanent basis
- 22 May 11:45 ITALY/ GENOA, Back for Alario
- 22 May 11:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Two players renew with Liverpool
- 22 May 11:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Uvini towards Sporting
- 22 May 11:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW- FRANCE/ MONACO, Also Atletico after Kurzawa
- 22 May 10:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Khedira likely to join
- 22 May 10:17 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Kirchoff will leave
- 22 May 09:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW- ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Farias
- 22 May 09:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also Leno on the wishlist
- 22 May 09:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Keen on De Silvestri
- 22 May 09:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Hierro could be the new Sporting Director
- 22 May 08:27 LILLE, Basa: "I am not sure to stay"
- 22 May 07:57 BORUSSIA D., Zorc: "Hummels going nowhere"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 22 May 06:59 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Nothing true about Ancelotti"
- 22 May 06:30 NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "He would be happy to train Real Madrid"
- 22 May 02:00 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AC MILAN, 4-fold duel for signing Alex Song
- 22 May 01:37 CROATIA/ DINAMO ZAGREB, Biskupovic more and more likely to join
- 22 May 01:17 ENGLAND/ WBA, McAuley's renewal on arrival
- 22 May 00:59 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA: Duel to AC Milan, Napoli and Fiorentina on Valdifiori
- 22 May 00:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Lead on Donsah
- 22 May 00:20 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Martial might be the key for getting Mandzukic
- 22 May 00:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: Duel to Juventus, PSG and English giants on Nainggolan
- 21 May 23:27 SPAIN, Xavi announces Barcelona exit
- 21 May 22:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D, Close on Castro
- 21 May 22:29 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez's agent: "Real Madrid? Only rumors now"
- 21 May 22:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Ancelotti rumors annoy Barca
- 21 May 21:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Leno on target
- 21 May 20:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Rumors about Benitez at Bernabeu
- 21 May 20:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Cancelled tomorrow's meeting with Sterling
- 21 May 19:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW, AC MILAN, Van Ginkel's agent: "Nothing about future is decided yet"
- 21 May 19:29 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Close in on Lens academy products
- 21 May 19:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ibe & Flanagan sign renewal
- 21 May 18:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen: Schmidt extends
- 21 May 17:57 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, The real target is Bale
- 21 May 17:27 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL , Schalke04, Kirchhoff will not be signed from Bayern
- 21 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho wants Oxlade-Chamberlain for letting Cech join Arsenal
- 21 May 16:29 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Weiser and Pizarro to leave
- 21 May 16:00 ITALY/ INTER, Zukanovic's agent: "Chievo request is so high"
- 21 May 15:30 AC MILAN, Meeting with Ancelotti in Madrid
- 21 May 14:57 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Keen on Grujic
- 21 May 14:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Approaching Soriano
- 21 May 13:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Suggestion for Keylor Navas
Set to leave West Ham after loan period expires, and then Barcelona FC on a full basis (or again temporarily, probably including a hiring purchase option), Cameroonian international half-back Alex Song (27), already tracked by AC Milan, has been also targeted by Inter, Chels
Interviewed by Quatro, Manuel García Quilón, agent of Napoli coach Rafael Benitez, jas declared: "At the moment there is nothing go
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has commented the rumors regarding the interest for Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti: "What has been re
Liverpool Chief Executive Ian Ayre has declared about 34-year-old midfielder Steven Gerrard, who is about to join the L.A. Galaxy: "People will a
Interviewed by Canal+, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared about 23-year-old forward Alexandre Lacazette: "We will do everything we can t
Interviewed by Kicker, Borussia Dortmund Sporting Director Michael Zorc has declared about 26-year-old center back Mats Hummels: "It was legitima