CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 18 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "Many offers for him"
- 18 Jul 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are in talks for Filipe Luis"
- 17 Jul 06:59 MAN. UTD, Rooney: "Moving to the US? Could be..."
- 14 Jul 11:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Cech has lifted us"
- 14 Jul 10:37 LEICESTER CITY, Ranieri: "I wish to thank the owner, his son and all the executives of the Club"
- 13 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, Rafael's agent: "He could join Benfica"
- 10 Jul 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 09 Jul 06:29 ASTON VIllA, Richards: "Inter wanted me, but.."
- 08 Jul 06:29 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "I'm confident we'll make the right signings"
- 07 Jul 15:10 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Why I love our overseas fans"
- 07 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Milner: "Great to be here"
- 06 Jul 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "Relaxed about my future"
- 02 Jul 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Letting Cech leave was the right decision"
- 01 Jul 20:15 ARSENAL, Cech: "I’m sure I’ll settle quickly"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 31 Jul 19:16 MONTREAL, Drogba: "I won't be a burden to Montreal Impact"
- 31 Jul 19:03 BAYERN MUNICH, Lewandowski: "The best is yet to come"
- 31 Jul 18:44 BARCELONA, Arda Turan suffers ankle sprain
- 31 Jul 18:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Next week meeting for Thiago Motta future
- 31 Jul 18:15 ITALY/ LAZIO & INTER, Duel with Tottenham for Susic
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 17:47 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Briand about to attend medicals
- 31 Jul 17:44 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL,Completed the signing of Gestede
- 31 Jul 17:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign Jovetic
- 31 Jul 17:35 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Digby training with squad
- 31 Jul 17:22 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AS ROMA, Agreement for Dzeko: done. Defining details with City
- 31 Jul 17:09 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ahli sign Fetfatzidis from Genoa
- 31 Jul 16:56 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Sivasspor sign Caraglio
- 31 Jul 16:43 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Majestic double offer to Lazio for De Vrij and Felipe Anderson
- 31 Jul 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia loan Cartabia out to Deportivo La Coruña
- 31 Jul 16:17 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Twente sign Olaitan on loan from Olympiakos
- 31 Jul 16:04 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Attempt for Ashley Williams ready
- 31 Jul 16:03 SPAIN/ EXCLUSIVE YMW - Getafe: thinking about Novellino
- 31 Jul 15:56 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia D. Aubameyang has extended until 2020
- 31 Jul 15:54 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hysaj has signed
- 31 Jul 15:51 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ JUVENTUS, In touch with City for Nasri
- 31 Jul 15:38 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, 3 suitors for Aly Cissokho
- 31 Jul 15:25 BREAKING NEWS - FRANCE/ O.L., Valbuena more and more likely to join
- 31 Jul 15:12 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, West Ham defeated on Kanté
- 31 Jul 14:57 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Breakup with Balotelli is complete. A new Italian surprise suitor
- 31 Jul 14:44 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, De Graafschap sign Kabasele on loan from Anderlecht again
- 31 Jul 14:31 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Survey on...another Soriano
- 31 Jul 14:18 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal renew Cazorla's and Walcott's deals
- 31 Jul 14:05 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Astori more and more likely to join
- 31 Jul 13:52 BREAKING NEWS - TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Agreement with Inler. Talks with Napoli started
- 31 Jul 13:39 BREAKING NEWS - FRANCE/ PSG, Done for Di Maria: 63 million euros paid to United
- 31 Jul 13:26 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Napoli, Hysaj about to be signed
- 31 Jul 13:13 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Gilardino refuses Olympiakos and hopes in Fiorentina new offer
- 31 Jul 13:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Hayden about to leave on loan
- 31 Jul 12:45 SCOTLAND/ CELTIC, Wolfsburg challenged on Hamzaoui
- 31 Jul 12:30 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Pune City sign Mutu and Zokora
- 31 Jul 12:16 FC SEVILLE & TOTTENHAM, Duel for Llorente in the viewfinder
- 31 Jul 12:02 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Queretaro sign Forlín
- 31 Jul 11:46 BREAKING NEWS - PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Osvaldo likely to join on a 2 years deal
- 31 Jul 11:31 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, To delay Pedro sale
- 31 Jul 11:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Adebayor will sign today with Aston Villa
- 31 Jul 11:02 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arsenal's target Illarramendi rejects to join Liverpool
- 31 Jul 10:46 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Genk sign Unal from City
- 31 Jul 10:44 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Joining Stones' chase
- 31 Jul 10:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Palermo still keen on Campbell
- 31 Jul 09:57 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Dzeko set to join Roma
- 31 Jul 09:55 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL,Hayden is on the verge of completing a season-long loan deal to Hull City
- 31 Jul 09:00 USA/ OFFICIAL, Orlando sign Mateos
- 31 Jul 08:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Gabriel Silva joins Carpi
- 31 Jul 08:30 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Cerezo Osaka sign Edmilson
Commenting upon deal renewals signed by both Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott, announced by Arsenal just today, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger stated: “We are delighted to have extended the contracts of Santi and Theo. Both are top quality players who are hugely im
Valencia forward Alvaro Negredo has declared: "Since the last days of the season I have been thinking about Valencia only. My only idea is to sta
Barcelona have announced that Turkey international Arda Turan has sprained his ankle and faces a brief spell on the sidelines.
The 28-year-old join
Commenting upon deal renewals signed by both Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott, announced by Arsenal just today, Gunners manager Arsène Wenger sta
Mikkel Beck, agent of PSG full back Lucas Digne, has told Ekstra Bladet: "A negotiation with Liverpoo? At the moment there is nothing, I didn'
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has vowed to show the fans what he is capable of in his second season at the Bundesliga champions.