CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 06 Apr 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "He will join a top club"
- 05 Apr 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cech deserves a new prospective"
- 04 Apr 06:29 LEICESTER, Cambiasso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 02 Apr 12:30 ARSENAL, Debuchy returns to training
- 31 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "We want to keep Begovic"
- 30 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We're in talks for Walcott's new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerěn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 21 Apr 15:58 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco can replace Modric"
- 21 Apr 15:35 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM. Offer to Klopp: turned down
- 21 Apr 15:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Duel to United and Liverpool on Depay
- 21 Apr 14:45 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, In the end Vlaar might renew
- 21 Apr 14:30 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Willing to sign Pazzini back: duel to Bologna
- 21 Apr 14:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Emenalo scouts Koke
- 21 Apr 14:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Sako more and more likely to join
- 21 Apr 13:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma insisting on Mendy: Ohéme want to keep him
- 21 Apr 13:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Obiang back as a main target
- 21 Apr 13:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Zeman resigns from Cagliari
- 21 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Planning an offer for Sterling
- 21 Apr 12:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus scouting Promes
- 21 Apr 12:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Both Torino and Udinese still keen on Lautaro Rinaldi
- 21 Apr 12:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, No agreement on Nainggolan's new contract: reopening for United and Liverpool
- 21 Apr 12:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, West Ham want Klopp for the bench
- 21 Apr 11:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Cherundolo and Lichte are Frontzeck's assistants at Hannover 96
- 21 Apr 10:57 GERMANY/ STUTTGART, Berko might renew
- 21 Apr 10:27 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, In touch with Cordoba for Andone
- 21 Apr 09:59 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Tuchel for replacing Klopp
- 21 Apr 09:29 ITALY/ UDINESE, More and more interested in replacing Stramaccioni with Maran
- 21 Apr 09:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Offer for Witsel
- 21 Apr 08:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Vanderhaeghe renews with Kortrijk
- 21 Apr 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Babacar injured
- 21 Apr 07:27 OL, Fournier: "I hope Lacazette and Fekir will stay"
- 21 Apr 06:59 SCHALKE 04, Heldt: "Sané about to renew"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 21 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas' agent: "He has no intention to leave"
- 21 Apr 00:00 INTER, Hernanes: "I will stay"
- 20 Apr 23:27 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Meeting with Gabriel
- 20 Apr 22:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Frontzeck is Hannover new coach
- 20 Apr 22:29 ITALY/ GENOA, Burdisso's future still uncertain
- 20 Apr 21:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Offer for Dybala ready
- 20 Apr 21:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Milan's derby for Perotti
- 20 Apr 21:00 FINLAND/ OFFICIAL, Helsinki sign Mendy
- 20 Apr 20:37 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Barral likely to join
- 20 Apr 20:17 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Trying to keep Rodriguez
- 20 Apr 19:59 GERMANY/ WERDER, No to Pizarro
- 20 Apr 19:39 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Sprint for Mammana
- 20 Apr 19:20 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Auction for Sportiello
- 20 Apr 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sprint for Gundogan
- 20 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ VERONA, Toni to the US?
- 20 Apr 18:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Spanish duel for Reus
- 20 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Miranda
- 20 Apr 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Chance increasing for signing Rugani: 15 million euros after first offer might persuade Juventus
- 20 Apr 17:48 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Indian surveys on Cossu
- 20 Apr 17:36 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Delhi Dynamos want to sign Cambiasso
- 20 Apr 17:24 ARSENAL & SCHALKE 04: Duel to Everton, Villa and West Ham on Cleverley
- 20 Apr 17:12 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Dario Franco resigns from managing Defensa y Justicia
- 20 Apr 17:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Dragovic on target
- 20 Apr 16:48 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, 32 million euros offer submitted to Palermo for Dybala: Rosanero raise the bar
Set to leave PSV Eindhoven on a payment between 20 and 25 million euros, Dutch international winger and forward Memphis Depay (21), already tracked hard by both Manchester United and Liverpool, has been targeted by Bayern Munich as well, according to Eindhovens Dagblad. Ghan
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Inter Milan midfielder Hernanes has declared: "My future? I am happy here and I want to remain to win a trophy".
Interviewed by RAC1, Marcos Casseb, agent of Barcelona defender Douglas, has declared: "He has a contract until 2019 and he has no intention to q
Dimitri Seluk, agent of Manchester City midfielder Yaya Touré, has declared: "If City want Yaya to leave then they should come out and say
During an interview accorded to L'Equipe Magazine, PSG midfielder Marco Verratti has declared: "When I arrived in Paris I was very young and
Schalke 04 Director of Football Horst Heldt has declared about the possibility to extend the contract of 29-year-old forward Leroy Sané: "