CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 01 Sep 01:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Remy excited to work with Mourinho
- 31 Aug 02:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They have been impressive against Everton and Chelsea"
- 30 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "Everything he does is intelligent, he's got perfect timing"
- 30 Aug 14:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Arteta and Gibbs won't be in the game"
- 30 Aug 09:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Winning FA Cup got us hungrier for trophies"
- 30 Aug 01:03 EVERTON, Martinez happy with Europa League draw
- 29 Aug 17:48 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Sanchez: "Unbelievable game of his against Besiktas"
- 29 Aug 14:24 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Chambers surprised me. Sanchez's winning mentality will help us a lot"
- 29 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "We want to win everything"
- 29 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Some players may leave"
- 28 Aug 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Sanchez's victory goal against Besiktas: "Alexis needed to score his first goal as a Gunner"
- 28 Aug 11:44 ARSENAL, Official medical report on Giroud: 4 months' stop
- 28 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We don't have to replace Giroud"
- 27 Aug 15:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Giroud's one can be a long-term injury"
- 27 Aug 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our experience will help us against Besiktas. A crucial game, more on the sport side than financially"
- 27 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "I chose Di Maria as I did with Robben in Bayern. He'll need to fit into the philosophy of our club"
- 27 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I didn't want to leave Real"
- 26 Aug 12:52 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Carra worried about Reds' defence
- 26 Aug 11:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Balotelli: "Of course it's a risk, but he is a big talent"
- 26 Aug 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "I'm in a great team"
- 25 Aug 13:36 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "We learnt from last year's defeat suffered from Everton"
- 25 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Losing against Everton would have been disappointing. We showed a great attitude"
- 25 Aug 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Soon an answer about Borini"
- 24 Aug 09:59 QPR, Redknapp: "We want to keep Rémy"
- 24 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We'll be more careful than last year against Everton"
- 23 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Last year we left the game in Everton's hands. Never had a Premier League so tight"
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 12 Aug 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Taarabt is not going to go cheap"
- 11 Aug 15:59 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Ready for title challenge"
- 11 Aug 06:15 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need a winger"
- 10 Aug 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin must honor his contract"
- 09 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We are after Rojo"
- 08 Aug 12:32 ARSENAL, get Besiktas in Champions League
- 08 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We want to feel that winning sensation soon again"
- 08 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We conceded too much goals to top teams last season"
- 07 Aug 15:12 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The new players are giving us an extra spring"
- 07 Aug 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "I hope to stay here for many more years in the future"
- 06 Aug 06:39 MAN. UTD, Hernandez's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Aug 19:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Sanchez is a fantastic player, we'll have a good understanding"
- 05 Aug 10:29 ARSENAL, Usmanov: "Gunners primed for new era of trophies and glory"
- 05 Aug 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "I hope to keep Vlaar"
- 04 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen could leave"
- 03 Aug 09:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Maybe we don't need other players"
- 02 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Wickham will either renew or leave"
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 19:36 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rennes sign Habib Habibou
- 02 Sep 19:24 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter loan Taider out again
- 02 Sep 19:12 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Tongo Doumbia joins Toulouse
- 02 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal announce Welbeck signing on a full basis
- 02 Sep 18:53 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sassuolo sign Consigli
- 02 Sep 18:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Cleverley joins Aston Villa from United
- 02 Sep 18:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Avramov joins Atalanta
- 02 Sep 18:32 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Belec
- 02 Sep 18:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester United announce terms on Falcao deal
- 02 Sep 18:18 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Diakité might join
- 02 Sep 18:11 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Chalobah out again
- 02 Sep 18:04 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Ricky Alvarez on loan from Inter
- 02 Sep 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Amalfitano
- 02 Sep 17:50 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta sign Papu Gomez
- 02 Sep 17:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Coates out to Sunderland
- 02 Sep 17:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Bonaventura
- 02 Sep 17:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino sign veteran goalie Castellazzi
- 02 Sep 17:22 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund loan Jonas Hofmann out
- 02 Sep 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan loan Gabriel to Serie B side Carpi
- 02 Sep 17:08 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Zaccardo stays at AC Milan
- 02 Sep 17:01 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Cabral set to be loaned out to soon
- 02 Sep 16:52 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kagawa joins Borussia Dortmund back from United
- 02 Sep 16:43 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund: Durm extends
- 02 Sep 16:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri joins Torino
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 02 Sep 16:24 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, El Ahmadi joins Feyenoord back
- 02 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester City, from United arrives Powell
- 02 Sep 16:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, In talks for De Jong's renewal
- 02 Sep 15:59 ENGLAND/ QPR, working Visa arrived for Kranjcar and Vargas
- 02 Sep 15:50 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Borini: "Finally the madness is finished"
- 02 Sep 15:22 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Falcao thanks all for the transfer
- 02 Sep 15:01 AS ROMA, Balzaretti about the injury: "I feel bad for my team-mates, I feel guilty"
- 02 Sep 13:50 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool: Assaidi on loan at Stoke City
- 02 Sep 13:40 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto: ami on loan to Braga
- 02 Sep 10:31 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Celtic sign Scepovic
- 02 Sep 10:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City: arrives Ben Arfa
- 02 Sep 10:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton: arrives Mané
- 02 Sep 09:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doyle joins Crystal Palace
- 02 Sep 00:14 BAYERN MUNICH, Xabi Alonso: "Winning Champions League here would be a dream coming true"
- 01 Sep 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan: Torres to be introduced tomorrow
- 01 Sep 21:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Parma sign Zaccardo back from AC Milan
- 01 Sep 20:45 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hibernian sign Sinclair
- 01 Sep 20:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Holtby back to Bundes
- 01 Sep 20:15 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto loan Carlos Eduardo out to OGC Nice
- 01 Sep 19:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid loan Bono Bounou out to Zaragoza
- 01 Sep 19:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Radamel Falcao about to be announced
- 01 Sep 19:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Kurtic
- 01 Sep 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City sign Abel Hernandez from Palermo
- 01 Sep 19:21 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica about to announce Cristante from AC Milan: the sum
Here are the first words released by Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal after having succeeded in signing Colombian star striker Radamel Falcao from AS Monaco: “I am delighted Radamel has joined us on loan this season. He is one of the most prolific goalscorers in the
The player of As Roma, Balzaretti wanted to hold this press conference to give the latest on his injury and explain what he's going through. "
Iker Casillas started in the Anoeta and spoke about Real Madrid‘s defeat in the Anoeta no sooner had the match finished: “The team was neg
Here are the first words released by Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal after having succeeded in signing Colombian star striker Radamel Falcao
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Xabi Alonso has set his sights on winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich, after previously lifting the trophy with Liverpool and Real Madrid.