CHELSEA, Di Matteo: "Game by game"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.
Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.
Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.
'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.
'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.
'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'
Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.
Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.
'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.
'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'
On Champions League Final
The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.
Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.
'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.
'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.
'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'
On his future
An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.
Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.
'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.
'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 21:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 20:20 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, 2 Spanish Liga suitors for Carbonero
- 23 Apr 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Diouf offered by 2 Serie A clubs
- 23 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Bastos to Hannover?
- 23 Apr 19:30 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S OLD BOYS, Trezeguet's agent
- 23 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 19:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Agreement with Baumann
- 23 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Vrsaljko
- 23 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to renew
- 23 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly likely to join
- 23 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Sprint for Kim
- 23 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for M'Bia
- 23 Apr 17:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Hertha after Contento
- 23 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, English duo after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 17:00 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Servette, Cantaluppi stays until the end of season
- 23 Apr 16:46 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare tracking Ajeti of Basilea
- 23 Apr 16:33 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Demichelis: "I hope that I can end my career at River Plate"
- 23 Apr 16:18 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Also Aston Villa interested in Darder
- 23 Apr 15:59 JUVENTUS, 23-man travelling party for Benfica
- 23 Apr 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ameobi accuses Magpies chiefs of 'hurting' the club
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 15:10 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Meeting with Djuricic's agent
- 23 Apr 14:49 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Sandro: "I'm happy here"
- 23 Apr 14:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Nürnberg: axed Verbeek
- 23 Apr 14:15 AC MILAN, Muntari: "We have to keep on doing well”
- 23 Apr 13:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve-Sanchez: here the details
- 23 Apr 13:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man Utd: Scholes back to assist Giggs
- 23 Apr 13:32 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Calhanoglu is the first market target
- 23 Apr 13:16 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Tim Krul considering summer exit from St James' Park
- 23 Apr 13:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs opens to Naldo renewal
- 23 Apr 12:44 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D, Kehl out for 2 weeks
- 23 Apr 12:33 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D., Liverpool observing Mkhitaryan
- 23 Apr 12:16 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Champions will change out market"
- 23 Apr 12:02 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Observing Jack Cork
- 23 Apr 11:46 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Eye on Eric Dier
- 23 Apr 11:34 ENGLAND/ CHELSA, Čech out for season
- 23 Apr 11:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 11:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio more and more inclined to leave
- 23 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to Napoli and Inter for Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:41 FIFA/ SPAIN, Barcelona appeal granted suspensive effect
- 23 Apr 10:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI: New chances for Agger, if Benitez stays
- 23 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ PALERMO, Attempt for Luca Rigoni
- 23 Apr 10:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Wolf set to renew
- 23 Apr 09:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Tello
- 23 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Serie A suitors for Marcio Rozario
- 23 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, A new loan for Duncan in the viewfinder
- 23 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New attempt for Mkhitaryan ready
- 23 Apr 08:45 GERMANY/ DUISBURG, Two U.S. American players in testing
- 23 Apr 08:30 HAMBURG & CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Alexis Sanchez tempted to join: 2 facts to weigh up
According to what reported by Sport Mediaset, AC Milan management, since possibly letting both Ignazio Abate and Mattia De Sciglio leave, are willing to sign Italian international right backwing Matteo Darmian (24), who had been a youth player for Rossoneri. Currently on a...
Juve boss Antonio Conte has called up a 23-man Bianconeri group for the trip to face Benfica in Thursday 24 April’s Europa League...
Club Atlético de Madrid's players were in philosophical mood following Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Chelsea FC, Filipe Luís...
Defender Gary Cahill told UEFA.com that Chelsea FC were beginning to dream of a possible UEFA Champions League final, now they are just a game...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....