MANCHESTER UNITED, Jones' joy at first season
© foto di Matteo Gribaudi/Image Sport
United defender Phil Jones admits that, on a personal level at least, 2011/12 has been a huge success.
Jones arrived at Old Trafford last summer from Blackburn Rovers, aged just 19, and couldn't have dreamed he'd play such a key role in his first campaign. Sure, he was already a regular for the England Under-21s; but in order to break through at United he'd have to push past the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Patience, it seemed, would be required.
Fast forward nine months, though, and only stand-in skipper Patrice Evra and striking lynchpin Wayne Rooney have made more appearances than Jones. The Chorley-born defender has also won his first international caps at senior level and drawn comparisons with some of the greatest footballers to have ever pulled on the Reds shirt.
"It's gone really well," Jones admits. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It's incredible. I didn't expect it this season."
Few others expected such a meteoric rise, either. Indeed, reports soon after Jones arrived at the club suggested interest from other clubs had forced Sir Alex Ferguson to move for the young defender 12 months earlier than planned.
And yet, Jones insists the transition from Ewood Park to Old Trafford was simple. Natural, even.
"It was relatively easy to adjust because at Blackburn I always saw myself as a player who likes to get the ball down and play. That is what United love to do, get the ball down and play. The players have also helped me and made me feel so welcome.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 06:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 18:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 06:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 06:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 06:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 14:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 13:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 07:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 06:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 06:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 06:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 16:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 06:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 06:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 19:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 18:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 09:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 16:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 17:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 16:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 11:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
- 23 Jul 15:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two youngsters renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 23 Jul 15:30 MLS - USA/ NY CITY FC, Xavi might join in December
- 23 Jul 15:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hubner: "Piazon from Chelsea? There are good signals"
- 23 Jul 14:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Nené
- 23 Jul 14:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chihi joins Fulham
- 23 Jul 14:20 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Keen on Vecino
- 23 Jul 14:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Adrian Fernandez joins Quilmes
- 23 Jul 13:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign back Sanogo
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
- 23 Jul 12:44 FRANCE/ PSG, No contacts with Conte
- 23 Jul 12:36 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas can leave: Arsenal thinking about him
- 23 Jul 12:31 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Krychowiak joins Sevilla
- 23 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Rodriguez: "I stay here"
- 23 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria: arrives Dos Santos
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
Recently drawn towards Torino and Sampdoria, as a less top-range market target, Uruguayan international offensive midfielder and half-forward Gaston Ramirez (23), according to latest rumours reported in Italian media, is back as an item of interest for Juventus management....
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...