MANCHESTER UNITED, Jones' joy at first season
© foto di Matteo Gribaudi/Image Sport
United defender Phil Jones admits that, on a personal level at least, 2011/12 has been a huge success.
Jones arrived at Old Trafford last summer from Blackburn Rovers, aged just 19, and couldn't have dreamed he'd play such a key role in his first campaign. Sure, he was already a regular for the England Under-21s; but in order to break through at United he'd have to push past the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Patience, it seemed, would be required.
Fast forward nine months, though, and only stand-in skipper Patrice Evra and striking lynchpin Wayne Rooney have made more appearances than Jones. The Chorley-born defender has also won his first international caps at senior level and drawn comparisons with some of the greatest footballers to have ever pulled on the Reds shirt.
"It's gone really well," Jones admits. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It's incredible. I didn't expect it this season."
Few others expected such a meteoric rise, either. Indeed, reports soon after Jones arrived at the club suggested interest from other clubs had forced Sir Alex Ferguson to move for the young defender 12 months earlier than planned.
And yet, Jones insists the transition from Ewood Park to Old Trafford was simple. Natural, even.
"It was relatively easy to adjust because at Blackburn I always saw myself as a player who likes to get the ball down and play. That is what United love to do, get the ball down and play. The players have also helped me and made me feel so welcome.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 03 May 03:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma ready to pursue Van Aanholt, if not hiring Digne back
- 03 May 03:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bayer Leverkusen hire back Da Costa and Meffert
- 03 May 03:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Bony on his way out: 2 Premier League suitors for him
- 02 May 22:45 CHELSEA - John Terry: "Leicester have been superb"
- 02 May 22:43 PREMIER LEAGUE - Leicester are champions thanks to Chelsea
- 02 May 22:32 SERIE A - Napoli - Atalanta - FULL TIME
- 02 May 22:01 CHELSEA v SPURS - FULL TIME
- 02 May 21:38 BUNDESLIGA - Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart - FULL TIME
- 02 May 21:19 SERIE A - Genoa - Roma - FULL TIME
- 02 May 19:17 CHELSEA v SPURS - Official Line Ups, Terry returns
- 02 May 18:14 TOTTENHAM - Dembele claims Hazard is jealous of Spurs success
- 02 May 17:38 WEST HAM - Reid: "We are in a good position"
- 02 May 17:13 LIVERPOOL - Klopp refuses to discuss Allen future
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 16:38 LEICESTER - Ranieri won't watch the Tottenham game
- 02 May 16:16 SWANSEA - Ayew offered to Liverpool for free last summer
- 02 May 16:07 LIVERPOOL - Start talks to sign Lemar
- 02 May 15:53 WOLFSBURG - Mario Gomez in the spotlight
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 15:05 LIVERPOOL - Tracking Pastore
- 02 May 14:44 JUVENTUS - Morata to stay
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 02 May 14:01 REAL MADRID - Gareth Bale to extend deal
- 02 May 13:30 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Feghouli more and more likely to join: agent in Turkish mission
- 02 May 13:15 ITALY/ LAZIO, Cataldi might be the key for signing defensive duo from Empoli
- 02 May 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Long-term contract offered to Nolito
- 02 May 12:43 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Duel to Valencia on Sarabia
- 02 May 12:26 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New plan for signing Saponara
- 02 May 12:11 ARSENAL keen on Bayern defender Benatia
- 02 May 12:00 BELGIUM/ GENT, Kums' agent: "He's the Belgian Pirlo! He'd be perfect for Napoli"
- 02 May 11:47 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Duel to Real on Courtois if Belgian keeper leaves Chelsea
- 02 May 11:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Suggestion for Pucciarelli
- 02 May 11:14 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Survey on Lasagna
- 02 May 11:01 ENGLAND/ WBA, Eyes on Waris
- 02 May 10:45 CHELSEA - Obi Mikel set for a stay
- 02 May 10:25 ARSENAL - Target Tierney
- 02 May 10:13 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Touré's agent: "Real Madrid, PSG and Inter on him"
- 02 May 10:03 MILAN - Ready to join the chase for Vilhena
- 02 May 09:49 JUVENTUS tracking BARCELONA's Mascherano
- 02 May 09:37 SPURS- Lloris to extend the contract
- 02 May 09:19 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, New 3 years contract offered to Ricky Alvarez
- 02 May 09:01 LEICESTER - Drinkwater risks a two-matches-ban
- 02 May 08:48 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on getting Wagner back
- 02 May 08:36 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo: "Our priority is to win the Champions League"
- 02 May 08:24 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Lloris about to renew long-term
- 02 May 08:12 MAN UTD v LEICESTER - Huth and Fellaini risk a ban for improper conduct
- 02 May 08:00 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Advanced talks with Barça on Halilovic
- 02 May 07:44 MAN CITY - Pellegrini: "Frustrated by the result, we prioritized Champions League"
- 02 May 07:18 INTER - Stankovic: "Simeone won't coach here soon, we got Mancini"
After a very disappointing course at Manchester City, lasted one year and a half, Ivorian international striker Wilfried Bony (27) is about to say farewell to Citizens and leave for good, possibly on loan with a hiring purchase option. Still on a deal with English giant
Genoa 2 - 3 Roma
(Salah 7' R, Tachtsidis 13' G, Pavoletti 65' R, Totti 77' G, El Shaarawi 88' R)
Real Madrid star James Rodriguez has been offered to Juventus, according to Corriere dello Sport.
Rodriguez ownership is esteemed ar
Former Aston Villa man Chris Herd has signed a contract for Perth Glory in Australian A-League.
Liverpool have reportedly eyed Javier Pastore in action for Paris Saint-Germain on Friday, according to France Football.
Werder Bremen 6 - 2 Stuttgart