MANCHESTER UNITED, Jones' joy at first season
© foto di Matteo Gribaudi/Image Sport
United defender Phil Jones admits that, on a personal level at least, 2011/12 has been a huge success.
Jones arrived at Old Trafford last summer from Blackburn Rovers, aged just 19, and couldn't have dreamed he'd play such a key role in his first campaign. Sure, he was already a regular for the England Under-21s; but in order to break through at United he'd have to push past the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Patience, it seemed, would be required.
Fast forward nine months, though, and only stand-in skipper Patrice Evra and striking lynchpin Wayne Rooney have made more appearances than Jones. The Chorley-born defender has also won his first international caps at senior level and drawn comparisons with some of the greatest footballers to have ever pulled on the Reds shirt.
"It's gone really well," Jones admits. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It's incredible. I didn't expect it this season."
Few others expected such a meteoric rise, either. Indeed, reports soon after Jones arrived at the club suggested interest from other clubs had forced Sir Alex Ferguson to move for the young defender 12 months earlier than planned.
And yet, Jones insists the transition from Ewood Park to Old Trafford was simple. Natural, even.
"It was relatively easy to adjust because at Blackburn I always saw myself as a player who likes to get the ball down and play. That is what United love to do, get the ball down and play. The players have also helped me and made me feel so welcome.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 28 Mar 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "It's a shame De Bruyne is gone"
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "I’ve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Touré is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Bellerìn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "Prödl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, It’s 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 30 Mar 00:00 LAZIO, De Vrij: "United? I'm happy here"
- 29 Mar 23:27 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Idea Leno
- 29 Mar 22:57 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, In talks for Gignac
- 29 Mar 22:29 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Also AS Roma after Calhanoglu
- 29 Mar 21:59 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Keen on Juanmi
- 29 Mar 21:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Scuffet
- 29 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, New contacts for Alaba
- 29 Mar 20:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Eyes on two French players
- 29 Mar 19:57 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Problems for Salvio's renewal
- 29 Mar 19:29 ITALY/ ROMA, Done for Bruno Peres
- 29 Mar 18:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Interest for Ezkieta
- 29 Mar 18:30 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Armero likely to join
- 29 Mar 18:00 FINLAND/ OFFICIAL, KuPS sign Adu
- 29 Mar 17:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Done for Hagi
- 29 Mar 16:00 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Chance for Lucas Silva
- 29 Mar 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Eyes on Vietto
- 29 Mar 14:27 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Jordi Alba out for 10 days
- 29 Mar 13:29 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "Van der Vaart and Jansen will leave"
- 29 Mar 12:59 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "Relaxed about my new deal"
- 29 Mar 12:30 INTER, Kovacic's agent: "Nothing true about Liverpool"
- 29 Mar 12:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I haven't signed for PSG"
- 29 Mar 06:00 ITALY/ INTER, Handanovic's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 29 Mar 05:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Inter and Arsenal challenged on the race for Dragovic
- 29 Mar 04:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Keen on Jansen
- 29 Mar 03:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Javi Martinez: "No contacts with Barça, I'm fine here"
- 29 Mar 01:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Willing to sign Robert Green as a second for Courtois: price is fixed
- 29 Mar 00:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New Premier League suitors for Llorente
- 28 Mar 23:00 ITALY/ INTER, 3 suitors for Gaston Camara
- 28 Mar 22:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Nani hard to keep: Everton ready to swoop in
- 28 Mar 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Still aiming to Ramires: possible duel with Juventus and PSG
- 28 Mar 20:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Phil Jones might leave: opening for Hammers and Black Cats
- 28 Mar 19:29 ITALY/ TORINO, Back for Belfodil
- 28 Mar 18:59 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Duel to AS Roma on Glen Johnson
- 28 Mar 18:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Alex Sandro on target
- 28 Mar 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Suggestion for Casemiro
- 28 Mar 17:27 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Gundogan on target
- 28 Mar 16:57 SWEDEN/ KALMAR, Several European clubs surveying Awoniyi
- 28 Mar 16:29 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 2 Serie A suitors for Andrea Costa
- 28 Mar 15:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho weighs Adebayor up for replacing Drogba
- 28 Mar 15:30 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Hansen on target
- 28 Mar 15:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Seville back on Carmona
- 28 Mar 14:27 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, River Plate extend Mercado's contract
- 28 Mar 13:57 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Smalling hard to get: Van Gaal says no
- 28 Mar 13:29 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Eyes on Rafa Silva
- 28 Mar 12:59 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Renewal offer ready for Moras
- 28 Mar 12:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Jansen and Van Der Vaart to leave Hamburg as free agents in June
- 28 Mar 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Back on Immobile: duel to AC Milan and Lazio
- 28 Mar 11:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Flekken renews for Greuther Furth
- 28 Mar 10:00 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Sylla set to join Racing Santander
- 28 Mar 09:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Juanito could renew
Already a main item of interest for both Inter and Arsenal, Austrian international centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic (24), playing for Dynamo Kyiv since 2013/14 and currently on a deal with Ukrainian giants until June 2018, has become a primary target also for Manchester Unite
Lazio defender Stefan De Vrij has told Fox Sports "I do not know anything about Manchester United's interest in me, but I'm used to the m
31-year-old right back Dani Alves, whose contract with Barcelona is about to expire has declared: "I haven't signed a pre-agreement with any
Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has declared: "I love playing football for Liverpool and I want to be there for many years and in terms of
Interviewed by Radio CRC, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is happy in France and he is a key player f
Hamburg's coach Dietmar Beiersdorfer has declared: "Marcel Jansen and Rafael van der Vaart won't renew with us. There will be no negotiat