MANCHESTER UNITED, Jones' joy at first season
© foto di Matteo Gribaudi/Image Sport
United defender Phil Jones admits that, on a personal level at least, 2011/12 has been a huge success.
Jones arrived at Old Trafford last summer from Blackburn Rovers, aged just 19, and couldn't have dreamed he'd play such a key role in his first campaign. Sure, he was already a regular for the England Under-21s; but in order to break through at United he'd have to push past the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Patience, it seemed, would be required.
Fast forward nine months, though, and only stand-in skipper Patrice Evra and striking lynchpin Wayne Rooney have made more appearances than Jones. The Chorley-born defender has also won his first international caps at senior level and drawn comparisons with some of the greatest footballers to have ever pulled on the Reds shirt.
"It's gone really well," Jones admits. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It's incredible. I didn't expect it this season."
Few others expected such a meteoric rise, either. Indeed, reports soon after Jones arrived at the club suggested interest from other clubs had forced Sir Alex Ferguson to move for the young defender 12 months earlier than planned.
And yet, Jones insists the transition from Ewood Park to Old Trafford was simple. Natural, even.
"It was relatively easy to adjust because at Blackburn I always saw myself as a player who likes to get the ball down and play. That is what United love to do, get the ball down and play. The players have also helped me and made me feel so welcome.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong AtlÚtico have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 24 Apr 16:44 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "The team has found its identity "
- 24 Apr 16:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Wolfsburg, Ivica Olic pens new deal
- 24 Apr 16:02 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Arrives the young Vermijl
- 24 Apr 15:44 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hoffenheim, Beck extended until 2017
- 24 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04: Duel to AC Milan, United and Tottenham for Paletta
- 24 Apr 15:15 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Attempt for Welbeck ready
- 24 Apr 15:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, A Russian rival towards Calhanoglu
- 24 Apr 14:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Timo Horn as a possible heir Weidenfeller
- 24 Apr 14:32 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Set to move for David Luiz after transfer ban lifted
- 24 Apr 14:15 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Jung and Sorg are the new targets
- 24 Apr 13:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger is planning a huge summer spending spree
- 24 Apr 13:47 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Roy Keane to assist Louis van Gaal
- 24 Apr 13:31 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Thinking about players for replacing Tim Krul
- 24 Apr 13:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Monaco offering Riviere
- 24 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, KeitÓ announces: "I won't move"
- 24 Apr 12:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir in Madrid: working on Morata
- 24 Apr 12:33 BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola. "Team showed a lot of strength against Real"
- 24 Apr 12:16 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Cristiano made an effort to play"
- 24 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "The tie is still open. There are 90 hard minutes still to play in Munich"
- 24 Apr 11:45 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "It was a special night. Bayern are a great team"
- 24 Apr 11:30 BAYERN MUNICH, Robben: "I expected a little bit more from Madrid"
- 24 Apr 11:15 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Close in on PSG star Cavani
- 24 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, A Premier League suitor for Cleverley
- 24 Apr 10:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Galvez about to be announced
- 24 Apr 10:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Transfer market reopens: working on Vidal
- 24 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Suggestion for Paulinho
- 24 Apr 10:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Luke Shaw set to join
- 24 Apr 09:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Calum Chambers more and more likely to join
- 24 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Udinese keen on Gino Peruzzi
- 24 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, Dreaming of bringing Destro back
- 24 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Victor Moses announces coming back from Liverpool
- 24 Apr 08:45 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL SALZBURG, Amartey about to join
- 24 Apr 08:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Approaching Mustafi
- 24 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back on Antonelli
- 24 Apr 08:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Greuther Furth sign Cinar
- 24 Apr 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Two players leave Vaduz
- 24 Apr 07:17 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Papadopoulos injured
- 24 Apr 06:57 OM, Thauvin: "I am happy here"
- 24 Apr 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Olic: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Sanogo: "Coming here was always a dream"
- 24 Apr 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "I'd like to stay here"
- 24 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Marchetti: "My future? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Zenit after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 23:17 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Lead for Gourcuff
- 23 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Shaqiri unlikely to join
- 23 Apr 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Still keen on Verratti
- 23 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Agazzi might be the key for signing Perin
- 23 Apr 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma make steps forward towards Vertonghen
- 23 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Several clubs after him, but he's happy in Rome"
Set to leave Parma on an about 13 million euros payment and already tracked hard by AC Milan, Manchester United and Tottenham, Italian international centre-back Gabriel Paletta (28), according to gianlucadimarzio.com, has become a primary target also for Schalke 04....
Milan’s coach spoke to the gathered press at the Milanello sports centre this afternoon ahead of Roma-Milan tomorrow evening at 20.45:...
Karim Benzema told UEFA.com that although a big test awaits in Munich next Tuesday, Real Madrid CF's chances of reaching the UEFA Champions...
Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo has declared: "When you think Arsenal, you think Thierry Henry and I grew up watching him and he made me dream....
Josep Guardiola recognised FC Bayern München will need to "crank up a gear or two" in next week's return.
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....