MANCHESTER UNITED, Jones' joy at first season
© foto di Matteo Gribaudi/Image Sport
United defender Phil Jones admits that, on a personal level at least, 2011/12 has been a huge success.
Jones arrived at Old Trafford last summer from Blackburn Rovers, aged just 19, and couldn't have dreamed he'd play such a key role in his first campaign. Sure, he was already a regular for the England Under-21s; but in order to break through at United he'd have to push past the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Patience, it seemed, would be required.
Fast forward nine months, though, and only stand-in skipper Patrice Evra and striking lynchpin Wayne Rooney have made more appearances than Jones. The Chorley-born defender has also won his first international caps at senior level and drawn comparisons with some of the greatest footballers to have ever pulled on the Reds shirt.
"It's gone really well," Jones admits. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It's incredible. I didn't expect it this season."
Few others expected such a meteoric rise, either. Indeed, reports soon after Jones arrived at the club suggested interest from other clubs had forced Sir Alex Ferguson to move for the young defender 12 months earlier than planned.
And yet, Jones insists the transition from Ewood Park to Old Trafford was simple. Natural, even.
"It was relatively easy to adjust because at Blackburn I always saw myself as a player who likes to get the ball down and play. That is what United love to do, get the ball down and play. The players have also helped me and made me feel so welcome.
Other news Premier League (England)
- 08 Oct 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho's agent: "I'm not in talks with Real Madrid"
- 07 Oct 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri: "I don't think I'll move back to France"
- 06 Oct 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I don't need a new contract to be motivated"
- 05 Oct 13:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "Alexis' energy is so important"
- 03 Oct 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "In Spain, Barça would be my only choice"
- 02 Oct 15:57 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I talked with my players about what we failed against Porto. Amelia? He can be the right guy for us"
- 02 Oct 06:29 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I'd like to work for Wenger"
- 01 Oct 11:30 CHELSEA, Diego Costa after Porto failure: "We need to regain our confidence"
- 29 Sep 20:19 MANCHESTER UNITED, Schweinsteiger keen to mentor Depay and Martial
- 29 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Ospina: "We have to impose ourselves"
- 29 Sep 18:37 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Olympiakos? I remember my 2011 goal against them..."
- 29 Sep 17:46 BOURNEMOUTH, Long-term injury for Callum Wilson: 6 months out
- 29 Sep 14:14 CHAMPIONS, Porto - Chelsea: Possible lineups
- 29 Sep 14:09 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick: it will be a tough game against Wolfsburg"
- 29 Sep 13:59 CHAMPIONS, Arsenal - Olympiacos Possible lineups Outside chance of Mathieu Flamini and Mikel Arteta appearing
- 29 Sep 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I thought Martial was not for sale"
- 28 Sep 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "There's a group of people that don't want me here"
- 25 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND, Gerrard: “Mourinho is one of the best”
- 24 Sep 14:17 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Happy to have defeated Birmingham, especially for our fans"
- 23 Sep 08:19 WEST HAM, Pulis: "I don't know if we'll sign Vaz Tę"
- 22 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Bellerín: "A move to Liga? No way, I'm staying with Gunners"
- 21 Sep 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "I'm happy here"
- 18 Sep 13:00 CHELSEA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - One ex for every London side
- 18 Sep 07:57 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "He's happy here"
- 18 Sep 06:00 Europa League Matchday 1 aftermath - TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "It's not been easy against Qarabag. Happy for Sonny"
- 18 Sep 00:59 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - DINAMO ZAGREB (Group F), former stars Modric and Kovacic: "Excited for the guys' victory over Arsenal"
- 17 Sep 17:27 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - MACCABI TEL AVIV (Group G), Jokanovic: "Chelsea played at their highest level, we're working to be more competitive"
- 17 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL, Wilshere will undergo surgery again
- 17 Sep 02:00 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - CHELSEA (Group G), Mourinho: "Winning after a long time gave us a very good feeling"
- 17 Sep 00:20 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - ARSENAL (Group F), Wenger on Zagreb failure: "We were a bit unlucky. Giroud didn't deserve to get a red card"
- 16 Sep 19:15 MANCHESTER CITY, Kompany: "There was actually nothing wrong with our performance"
- 16 Sep 16:03 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - PSV (Group B), Cocu on victory over United: "We showed anything can be achieved, if you believe in your goals"
- 16 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Funes Mori: "I was about to join Chelsea"
- 16 Sep 01:21 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B), Van Gaal after Dutch disaster: "Shaw was crying in the dressing room"
- 15 Sep 23:42 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - MANCHESTER CITY (Group D), Touré after Juventus failure: "Now we need to be strong and bounce back"
- 15 Sep 16:08 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - PSV EINDHOVEN v MANCHESTER UNITED (Group B): Depay faces his own past
- 14 Sep 08:57 CHELSEA, Matic after Goodison Park failure: "I really don't know what happened. Now let's win against Maccabi and Arsenal"
- 13 Sep 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal might even renew
- 12 Sep 20:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA 3-1, Matchbox: Ross Barkley got the game for Toffees
- 12 Sep 15:00 SUNDERLAND v TOTTENHAM, Special Preview - Lloris: "We need to find confidence"
- 12 Sep 10:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on De Gea's renewal: "I'm delighted, he's one of the best in the world"
- 11 Sep 16:23 MANCHESTER UNITED v LIVERPOOL, Special Preview - Mata: "Playing against Reds is always special. Our fans are thankful from my goals from last season"
- 11 Sep 15:47 WEST HAM v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Ogbonna: "Still celebrating victory over Liverpool, and we are really focused on Magpies"
- 11 Sep 14:07 ARSENAL v STOKE CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere not available tomorrow"
- 11 Sep 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Training the Dutch NT? Not now"
- 10 Sep 17:00 EVERTON v CHELSEA, Preview - Blues wait for Courtois' medical results in anxiety
- 10 Sep 08:39 EVERTON, Martinez: "We won't sign free agents"
- 09 Sep 12:14 ARSENAL, Optimism regarding Welbeck
- 09 Sep 06:19 MAN. UTD, Romero: "Van Gaal is trusting me"
- 08 Sep 17:40 ARSENAL, Coquelin: "Both first squad and loans are valid experience for a young player"
- 08 Sep 11:09 MANCHESTER UTD, Romero: "Playing for United is a dream"
- 07 Sep 16:45 WEST HAM, Randolph: "No one thought we would have won against Liverpool"
- 07 Sep 16:00 SWANSEA CITY, Ashley Williams on Wales' almost obtained accomplishment: "We are ready for one of the most important games in our careers"
- 07 Sep 14:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata's letter to Red Devils from Spanish NT campaign
- 07 Sep 13:00 WBA, Pulis: "Berahino will play"
- 07 Sep 11:59 ARSENAL, Monreal: "A period of transition for Spanish NT, after an incredibile generation"
- 04 Sep 15:53 ARSENAL, Nacho: "How English football changed me"
- 04 Sep 09:43 ARSENAL, Welbeck shock: out 4 months
- 04 Sep 06:29 MAN. CITY, De Bruyne's agent: "He was about to join Bayern"
- 03 Sep 17:59 ARSENAL, Walcott: "I want to play as a striker"
- 03 Sep 06:29 WATFORD, Diamanti: "Fiorentina were not interested in keeping me"
- 02 Sep 14:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Answer to Real Madrid on De Gea-related mishap
- 02 Sep 08:30 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "Never received an offer from WBA"
- 31 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Wanyama and Mane will stay"
- 30 Aug 10:59 MAN. CITY, Kompany welcomes De Bruyne
- 28 Aug 09:39 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We need another striker"
- 27 Aug 08:39 WEST BROM. , Peace: "Berahino won't leave"
- 21 Aug 06:29 WATFORD, Sanchez Flores: "Soon a decision about Vydra"
- 20 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Nasri's agent: "Inter? Nothing concrete"
- 19 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 14 Aug 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Obertan: "I want to stay"
- 13 Aug 19:29 ARSENAL, Wenger is unsure about Rosicky's absence
- 13 Aug 08:39 LIVERPOOL, Enrique: "I want to stay"
- 12 Aug 18:10 ARSENAL, Rosicky out for up to two months
- 12 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "No news about his future"
- 11 Aug 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect Stones to stay"
- 10 Aug 11:40 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho struck from 25 yards out in the 86th minute to win
- 10 Aug 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Optimistic about Shaqiri"
- 09 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "I hope we'll announce a new signing soon"
- 08 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Benzema? Just media talk"
- 07 Aug 06:29 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "Happy with my team"
- 06 Aug 06:29 CRYSTAL PALACE, Pardew: "We are not after Coloccini"
- 05 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Great if Benzema would join us, but.."
- 04 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Soldado to Real? I can't confirm"
- 03 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Nothing true about Benzema"
- 01 Aug 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Hernandez? Just rumours"
- 31 Jul 18:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Cazorla and Walcott's renewals: "Delighted from that, they are important for us"
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "De Gea's situation not favourable"
- 30 Jul 06:29 WEST HAM, Bilic: "We still hope to sign Song"
- 29 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Chambers will stay"
- 28 Jul 06:39 PSG, David Luiz: "I hope Di Maria will join us"
- 28 Jul 06:19 MAN. CITY, Fernando: "I won't join Sporting"
- 27 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Walcott about to renew"
- 25 Jul 12:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Szczesny could go on loan to Roma"
- 24 Jul 09:59 MAN. CITY, Toure: "Happy to stay here"
- 23 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We have talked with Fiorentina"
- 22 Jul 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We're about to sell Filipe Luis"
- 18 Jul 13:57 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on new signings: "All very good players, but they'll have to fight in order to get to the pitch"
- 18 Jul 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "Many offers for him"
- 18 Jul 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are in talks for Filipe Luis"
- 10 Oct 00:00 INTER, Montoya's agent: "He will stay"
- 09 Oct 23:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Allardyce is Sunderland new manager
- 09 Oct 22:57 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Balta renews with Galatasaray
- 09 Oct 22:29 FRANCE/ OL, Eyes on Delort
- 09 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Keen on Sissoko
- 09 Oct 21:30 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Idea Jovanovic
- 09 Oct 20:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Tracking Ranocchia
- 09 Oct 20:23 ITALY/ JUVE, The club target PSG star
- 09 Oct 19:39 ITALY/ JUVE, Eye on Ajax starlets
- 09 Oct 19:18 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ac Milan wants Moussa Sissoko
- 09 Oct 18:57 ENGLAND/ QPR, Swindon sign Gladwin on loan
- 09 Oct 18:44 ENGLAND/ LEEDS UNITED, Lee Erwin has joined Bury
- 09 Oct 18:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pradé plans January moves
- 09 Oct 18:10 ENGLAND/ ROTHERHAM, confirmed the appointment of Neil Redfearn
- 09 Oct 17:55 ITALY/ NAPOLi, Callejon: "I wanted to leave, Sarri persuaded me to stay"
- 09 Oct 17:53 GERMANY/ BAYER MUNICH, Gotze out 3 months
- 09 Oct 17:00 ITALY/ INTER, Feghouli the first market target
- 09 Oct 17:00 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - As Roma: test for the young Sherri
- 09 Oct 13:59 Euro 2016 Qualifying, France, Benzema: "Maybe my critics like me too much!"
- 09 Oct 13:43 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Eye on Buitink
- 09 Oct 13:32 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Klopp appointment proves owners' ambition"
- 09 Oct 12:59 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Klopp: "Or we will win a title in four years - or I'm going to Switzerland!"
- 09 Oct 12:59 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Klopp: "I'm the normal one"
- 09 Oct 12:47 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, want to sign Sadio Mane
- 09 Oct 12:46 ENGLAND/ BARCELONA, Eye ex Reds star
- 09 Oct 12:36 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Klopp: "Market? I'm not an idiot, I'll have the first and last word"
- 09 Oct 12:35 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, PHOTO: Jürgen Klopp poses with Ian Ayre and Tom Werner
- 09 Oct 09:43 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, put on red alert after long-term target Karim Benzema expressed his disappointment
- 09 Oct 09:40 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, BREAKING NEWS: Reds name coaching duo
- 09 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Vietto out for four weeks
- 09 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Götze: "Never thought about leaving Bayern"
- 09 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Mustafi's agent: "Bayern are after him"
- 09 Oct 00:00 INTER, Brozovic's agent: "Leaving in January? It's up to the club"
- 08 Oct 22:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Klopp is Liverpool new manager
- 08 Oct 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Zeca
- 08 Oct 21:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea sign Amelia
- 08 Oct 21:22 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ron Smith: "Rodgers never recovered from Suarez sale"
- 08 Oct 21:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I'd not be here If I didn't start to play as defender"
- 08 Oct 20:39 FRANCE/ MONCO, El Shaarawy: "I have found serenity at Monaco"
- 08 Oct 20:15 GERMANY/ BAYER MUNICH, keeping tabs on Shkodran Mustafi
- 08 Oct 19:39 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi had been facing an 18-month prison sentence
- 08 Oct 19:15 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Ferguson was my football father"
- 08 Oct 18:47 ENGLAND/ TOTTENAHM, Alli is preparing for a surprise England debut
- 08 Oct 18:18 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Gimnasia La Plata: pro deal for Noble
- 08 Oct 18:00 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Eye on Karius
- 08 Oct 17:45 ENGLAND, Manchester United fan Usain Bolt forced to wear Arsenal shirt
- 08 Oct 17:40 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Caen: Imorou extends until 2019
- 08 Oct 17:22 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Taken 15-year old Swedish prospect Kimpioka
- 08 Oct 17:16 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL ,To hold new conference tomorrow at 10am
- 08 Oct 17:13 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, expecting to extend defender Jason Denayer's loan
Jurgen Klopp faced the media for the first time since becoming Liverpool manager and declared himself "the normal one".
A highly-anticipated introduction did not disappoint as Klopp vowed to turn "the doubters to believers", said he would have "the fir
Interviewed by FcInterNews.it, Miroslav Bicanic, agent of Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, has declared: "Marcelo is an Inter player, he&
Interviewed by Gestiona Radio Valencia, Ali Bulur, agent of Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi, has declared: "It's true, Bayern are watching
Kia Joorabchian, agent of Liverpool attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho, has declared: "Reports that I have been talking to Real Madrid about
Interviewed by France Football, PSG winger Lucas Moura has declared: "My life here is wonderful, I'm happy here. At the beginning it was diff
Interviewed by the Süddeutsche Zeitung, Bayern Munich attacking midfielder Mario Götze has declared: "I never thought about leaving las