CHELSEA, Cahill: "Mad Season"
It's been a mixed season at Stamford Bridge, with the achievement of winning the FA Cup slightly soured by our inability to finish in the top four, but no player more than Gary Cahill will have experienced such a varied series of emotions ahead of the Champions league Final on Saturday against Bayern Munich in Germany.
Prior to joining the Blues in January, Cahill, who has just returned to full training and expects to be fit for the game, was playing for a Bolton Wanderers side locked in a relegation scrap which they were ultimately unable to escape from, the complete opposite end of the spectrum to the challenge now facing the 26-year-old, and he admits it's been an eventful campaign.
'It's been a mad, fantastic season. Obviously I've made the move here and it's worked out really well,' he said. 'I'm looking to build a career at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup and now going into this massive game within my first six months is crazy. I'm hoping to be selected for the summer and if I am it will have been a fantastic second half of the season.'
Prior to picking up the injury which saw Cahill miss the FA Cup Final, as well as a string of crucial league matches, his form had been excellent.
The Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona at home saw him turn in arguably his best display in a blue shirt when our backs were against the wall, leading to widespread praise from both team-mates and supporters alike.
Moving clubs mid-season is notoriously a difficult transition to make, and even more so when you are joining a team low on confidence. However, as he admitted, everything is now in place for the campaign to end in the most memorable fashion.
'Ideally, you want to come in and hit the ground running and have everybody saying how amazing you are, but that doesn't always work so you have to work at your game,' he said.
'Moving in January is different to moving in the summer. It took a few weeks but I always thought it would come good, I was pleased with my form before I got the injury and now I want to keep progressing.
'It's where players want to be, I thought I was ready for the move and to try to make the next step up, but you want to try and play international football, you don't get any higher than that, but to play in the Champions League at club level is what you want to do, and I'm fortunate that I've played in that and want to do for the next few seasons.'
At club level, it doesn't get any bigger than the Champions league Final. Ninety minutes away from being crowned European champions and making history is the type of stage every footballer aspires to be on, but only the fortunate few have the opportunity.
As a player who has given everything to reach this level, Cahill appreciates everything that comes his way, but while he is fully aware of just how significant a match this is, he is wary of getting too caught up in the inevitable fanfare that surrounds such fixtures.
'It's a huge game, everybody knows how massive it is, but for us we can't get caught up in all of that because then you start thinking about things that aren't to do with the game,' he admitted.
'Bayern Munich are a good team, so we need to address it as a big game, but we've been doing well in the competition in recent months.
'You come to big clubs to play in big competitions and be a part of it. We've got a great chance to win the biggest competition in club football, so we just need to work hard and make sure it goes to plan on the day.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 30 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Jones: "Happy of my new deal"
- 26 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Cabella's father: "Nothing going on with OM"
- 25 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 24 Jun 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "One day I would like to train the NT"
- 23 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Campbell's father: "Benfica is an option"
- 22 Jun 15:45 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Offer to Dortmund for Sven Bender ready
- 22 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Inter"
- 21 Jun 09:59 MAN. CITY, Dzeko's agent: "No chances that he will leave"
- 20 Jun 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Kane: "Honoured by United's interest, but.."
- 19 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Januzai's agent: "He will stay"
- 18 Jun 09:30 CHELSEA, Cuadrado: "Important to have a player like Falcao"
- 17 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We need a new striker"
- 16 Jun 06:19 WATFORD, Anya: "I wouldn't mind an experience abroad"
- 15 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I'm not worried about my future"
- 14 Jun 06:59 ARSENAL. Wilshere: "Happy as long as the club wants me to stay"
- 13 Jun 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Borini's agent: "We are analysing all offers"
- 12 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Cuadrado won't be sold"
- 11 Jun 17:45 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "If I can help Falcao reach his level again, I'll do it"
- 11 Jun 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Fox: "We'll offer Benteke a new contract"
- 10 Jun 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 09 Jun 19:30 WEST HAM/ OFFICIAL, Slaven Bilic is the new manager
- 09 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech: "My future? I keep all options open"
- 08 Jun 12:31 ARSENAL, Olivier Giroud – Fan Power Interview – AFC x PUMA
- 08 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We'll sign two or three players"
- 07 Jun 09:59 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I hope that Benteke will join us"
- 06 Jun 08:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "My future? We'll see.."
- 05 Jun 23:37 WATFORD/ OFFICIAL, Doctor House Quique Sanchez Flores is the new Watford manager
- 05 Jun 06:19 EVERTON, Lukaku: "I want to play in the Champions League"
- 04 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Persie: "I want to play every week"
- 03 Jun 06:19 WEST HAM, Valencia: "Chelsea? We'll see"
- 02 Jun 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "I would love to work with Mourinho"
- 01 Jun 06:29 ARSENAL, Walcott: ""I am sure things will get resolved"
- 31 May 09:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I don't see why Walcott should leave"
- 30 May 06:29 EVERTON, Henen's agent: "I think he'll stay"
- 28 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We can't repeat our Wembley mistake"
- 28 May 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli's agent: "He will stay"
- 27 May 16:14 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I play football to write history"
- 27 May 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "I expect a busy summer"
- 26 May 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Owning party decide: onward with Brendan Rodgers
- 26 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need to sign a midfielder"
- 25 May 09:39 CHELSEA, Drogba: "Goodbye Blues, I hope I'll be back in a different role someday"
- 25 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "He'll stay"
- 24 May 07:29 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "I expect Benteke to stay"
- 23 May 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I hope Begovic will stay"
- 22 May 07:29 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Door always open for Gerrard"
- 21 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We wanted to sign Depay"
- 20 May 06:19 WEST HAM, Gold: "We'll sign five players"
- 19 May 14:20 QPR/ OFFICIAL, Chris Ramsey signs new contract as first team manager
- 19 May 06:29 MAN. UTD, Valdés: "I am happy here"
- 18 May 06:29 MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré is happy here"
- 17 May 09:30 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We'd like to keep De Gea, but.."
- 16 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero not for sale"
- 15 May 16:59 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, The new project is more and more of a temptation for Rafa Benitez
- 15 May 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "We don't need to sell our players"
- 14 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "I think Clyne will stay"
- 13 May 06:19 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "We are in talks with Besiktas"
- 12 May 12:36 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Nathan: "A dream is coming true"
- 12 May 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "This shows how brutal football can be"
- 12 May 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Advocaat: "This is my last job"
- 11 May 06:29 LEICESTER, Pearson: "I would like to keep Cambiasso"
- 10 May 10:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I am in Abramovich's hands"
- 09 May 17:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Cazorla is an example for small-size players"
- 09 May 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Touré has a contract"
- 08 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "No offers for Schneiderlin"
- 07 May 19:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Depay targets trophies: "Dream, Believe, Achieve"
- 06 May 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne: "I am happy here"
- 05 May 18:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ozil and Sanchez were great against Hull. Wilshere? He found his burst again"
- 05 May 17:48 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Premier League second place would lay a marker for us"
- 05 May 06:19 LIVERPOLL, Skrtel's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 04 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Sanchez could miss 2015/16 season start
- 04 May 06:29 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Real Madrid? I'm happy here"
- 02 May 11:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Di Maria has been going through a lot of troubles, but he's working very hard"
- 01 May 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I am happy here"
- 30 Apr 06:39 CHELSEA, Obi Mikel's agent: "Real Madrid? No comment"
- 29 Apr 12:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Yaya Tourč out two weeks
- 29 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We won't sell out best players"
- 28 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Depay? We'll see"
- 27 Apr 17:24 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "I'll always be grateful to Arsenal"
- 27 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "We need a new striker"
- 26 Apr 11:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "I am not leaving"
- 25 Apr 06:29 WEST HAM, Song: "I want to remain in England"
- 24 Apr 06:57 PSG, Thiago Motta's agent: "Inter? Just rumours"
- 24 Apr 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I expect to stay"
- 23 Apr 17:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Henderson after renewal: "Now we must start challenging for titles and trophies"
- 23 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Sagna: "I don't want to leave"
- 22 Apr 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I am going nowhere"
- 21 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We need to keep Begovic"
- 20 Apr 06:29 MAN. CITY, Touré's agent: "Two clubs have asked for him"
- 19 Apr 11:59 EVERTON, Mirallas: "I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 14:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I want to get back fit. My renewal? It can take 5 minutes"
- 18 Apr 06:29 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "Begovic will stay"
- 17 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "West Ham? They already have a great manager"
- 16 Apr 06:19 LEICESTER, Mahrez's agent: "Villarreal are after him"
- 14 Apr 18:00 LIVERPOOL, Sakho injured
- 14 Apr 11:25 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "We targeted City's lazy midfielders"
- 11 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Muto? Football is marke
- 09 Apr 11:55 ARSENAL, the latest team news ahead of Saturday's game against Burnley
- 09 Apr 06:39 ASTON VILLA, Sherwood: "Tottenham told porkies before sacking me"
- 07 Apr 06:29 MAN. UTD, Herrera: "I hope to remain for many years"
- 01 Jul 08:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico sign Jackson Martinez
- 01 Jul 07:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Verona sign Souprayen
- 01 Jul 07:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Depor sign RIera
- 01 Jul 07:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Ilicevic renews with Hamburg
- 01 Jul 07:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, The club risks relegation for financial problems
- 01 Jul 06:45 WOLFSBURG, Allofs: "De Bruyne will stay"
- 01 Jul 06:30 MONTPELLIER, Nicollin: "I would like to obtain Rabiot on loan"
- 01 Jul 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I want to join Galatasaray"
- 01 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Krychowiak: "i have no intention to leave"
- 01 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Rafael's agent: "Next week a decision about his future"
- 30 Jun 23:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Saint-Etienne sign Assou-Ekotto
- 30 Jun 23:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ranocchia renews with Inter
- 30 Jun 22:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester fire Pearson
- 30 Jun 22:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Niang renews with AC Milan
- 30 Jun 22:20 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht sign Castaignos
- 30 Jun 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo sign Gobbi
- 30 Jun 21:37 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Monaco sign Bahlouli
- 30 Jun 21:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Carrizo renews with Inter
- 30 Jun 20:59 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia M. sign Sow
- 30 Jun 20:39 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Basel sign Kuzmanovic
- 30 Jun 20:20 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural sign Zhevnov
- 30 Jun 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Muntari quits AC Milan
- 30 Jun 19:37 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover sign Klaus
- 30 Jun 19:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Paloschi renews with Chievo
- 30 Jun 18:59 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Braga sign Román
- 30 Jun 18:39 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Not giving up on Darmian
- 30 Jun 18:20 ITALY/ INTER, Miranda Happy to be joining nerazzurri
- 30 Jun 18:05 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Clyne a grea move
- 30 Jun 17:35 ITALY/ JUVE, Not Keen on Spurs Star
- 30 Jun 17:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Arsenal interested in Edu Vargas
- 30 Jun 17:00 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Inter eye on Jovetic
- 30 Jun 16:19 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eye on Wijnaldum
- 30 Jun 14:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Arda Turan's agent: "He'll surely leave. His next club will be made known in four days"
- 30 Jun 13:45 ITALY/ GENOA, Approaching Obi
- 30 Jun 13:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Storari can join back after Neto lands to Juventus
- 30 Jun 13:15 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Lamela ready
- 30 Jun 13:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, New attempt ready for Milinkovic-Savic
- 30 Jun 12:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Okaka more and more likely to join Rennes
- 30 Jun 12:31 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Ruben Loftus-Cheek on the move?
- 30 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Bid for Begovic
- 30 Jun 12:00 BREAKING NEWS - SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Maxi-plan for Bonucci: Isco and Morata involved, Bianconeri fans standing in the way
- 30 Jun 11:48 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Approaching Colchoneros' rising star Lucas Hernandez
- 30 Jun 11:36 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Mirante more and more likely to join
- 30 Jun 11:24 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Mpoku about to join Genoa on loan
- 30 Jun 11:12 BREAKING NEWS - GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Duel to Arsenal and AS Monaco for William Carvalho
- 30 Jun 11:07 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve: Pogba, great offer of Manchester City
- 30 Jun 11:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Almost done for Fernando: 4 years deal and 8 millions to Shakhtar
- 30 Jun 10:45 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Pazzini about to join
- 30 Jun 10:30 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Joel Campbell wants a 2 millions salary for moving to Benfica
- 30 Jun 10:15 BREAKING NEWS - ITALY/ NAPOLI, Agreement with Vrsaljko
Interviewed by NTVSpor, Ahmed Bulut, agent of Turkish international offensive midfielder and winger Arda Turan (28), talked about his client being about to leave Atletico Madrid on a full basis: "He fulfilled all his aims in Madrid, and now he wants a new adventure. Col
Interviewed by Radio Kiss Kiss, Paulo Alfonso, agent of Napoli goalkeeper Rafael, has declared: "Next week we'll talk with the club and we
Sevilla FC defender Grzegorz Krychowiak has told Diario de Sevilla: "I have received no offer and I am totally focused on Seville. It has been a
Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski has declared: "Yes there have been meetings with Galatasaray. I hope the transfer happens. I'd love to play at
Interviewed by FcInterNews.it, Alessandro Canovi, agent of PSG midfielder Thiago Motta, has declared: "We have decided to stop the negotiations f
Interviewed by Sport 1, Wolfsburg Sporting Director Klaus Allofs has declared about 24-year-old attacking midfielder Kevin De Bruyne: "Kevin has