CHELSEA, Cahill: "Mad Season"
It's been a mixed season at Stamford Bridge, with the achievement of winning the FA Cup slightly soured by our inability to finish in the top four, but no player more than Gary Cahill will have experienced such a varied series of emotions ahead of the Champions league Final on Saturday against Bayern Munich in Germany.
Prior to joining the Blues in January, Cahill, who has just returned to full training and expects to be fit for the game, was playing for a Bolton Wanderers side locked in a relegation scrap which they were ultimately unable to escape from, the complete opposite end of the spectrum to the challenge now facing the 26-year-old, and he admits it's been an eventful campaign.
'It's been a mad, fantastic season. Obviously I've made the move here and it's worked out really well,' he said. 'I'm looking to build a career at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup and now going into this massive game within my first six months is crazy. I'm hoping to be selected for the summer and if I am it will have been a fantastic second half of the season.'
Prior to picking up the injury which saw Cahill miss the FA Cup Final, as well as a string of crucial league matches, his form had been excellent.
The Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona at home saw him turn in arguably his best display in a blue shirt when our backs were against the wall, leading to widespread praise from both team-mates and supporters alike.
Moving clubs mid-season is notoriously a difficult transition to make, and even more so when you are joining a team low on confidence. However, as he admitted, everything is now in place for the campaign to end in the most memorable fashion.
'Ideally, you want to come in and hit the ground running and have everybody saying how amazing you are, but that doesn't always work so you have to work at your game,' he said.
'Moving in January is different to moving in the summer. It took a few weeks but I always thought it would come good, I was pleased with my form before I got the injury and now I want to keep progressing.
'It's where players want to be, I thought I was ready for the move and to try to make the next step up, but you want to try and play international football, you don't get any higher than that, but to play in the Champions League at club level is what you want to do, and I'm fortunate that I've played in that and want to do for the next few seasons.'
At club level, it doesn't get any bigger than the Champions league Final. Ninety minutes away from being crowned European champions and making history is the type of stage every footballer aspires to be on, but only the fortunate few have the opportunity.
As a player who has given everything to reach this level, Cahill appreciates everything that comes his way, but while he is fully aware of just how significant a match this is, he is wary of getting too caught up in the inevitable fanfare that surrounds such fixtures.
'It's a huge game, everybody knows how massive it is, but for us we can't get caught up in all of that because then you start thinking about things that aren't to do with the game,' he admitted.
'Bayern Munich are a good team, so we need to address it as a big game, but we've been doing well in the competition in recent months.
'You come to big clubs to play in big competitions and be a part of it. We've got a great chance to win the biggest competition in club football, so we just need to work hard and make sure it goes to plan on the day.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 01 Sep 01:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Remy excited to work with Mourinho
- 31 Aug 02:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They have been impressive against Everton and Chelsea"
- 30 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "Everything he does is intelligent, he's got perfect timing"
- 30 Aug 14:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Arteta and Gibbs won't be in the game"
- 30 Aug 09:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Winning FA Cup got us hungrier for trophies"
- 30 Aug 01:03 EVERTON, Martinez happy with Europa League draw
- 29 Aug 17:48 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Sanchez: "Unbelievable game of his against Besiktas"
- 29 Aug 14:24 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Chambers surprised me. Sanchez's winning mentality will help us a lot"
- 29 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "We want to win everything"
- 29 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Some players may leave"
- 28 Aug 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Sanchez's victory goal against Besiktas: "Alexis needed to score his first goal as a Gunner"
- 28 Aug 11:44 ARSENAL, Official medical report on Giroud: 4 months' stop
- 28 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We don't have to replace Giroud"
- 27 Aug 15:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Giroud's one can be a long-term injury"
- 27 Aug 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our experience will help us against Besiktas. A crucial game, more on the sport side than financially"
- 27 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "I chose Di Maria as I did with Robben in Bayern. He'll need to fit into the philosophy of our club"
- 27 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I didn't want to leave Real"
- 26 Aug 12:52 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Carra worried about Reds' defence
- 26 Aug 11:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Balotelli: "Of course it's a risk, but he is a big talent"
- 26 Aug 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "I'm in a great team"
- 25 Aug 13:36 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "We learnt from last year's defeat suffered from Everton"
- 25 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Losing against Everton would have been disappointing. We showed a great attitude"
- 25 Aug 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Soon an answer about Borini"
- 24 Aug 09:59 QPR, Redknapp: "We want to keep Rémy"
- 24 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We'll be more careful than last year against Everton"
- 23 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Last year we left the game in Everton's hands. Never had a Premier League so tight"
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 12 Aug 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Taarabt is not going to go cheap"
- 11 Aug 15:59 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Ready for title challenge"
- 11 Aug 06:15 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need a winger"
- 10 Aug 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin must honor his contract"
- 09 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We are after Rojo"
- 08 Aug 12:32 ARSENAL, get Besiktas in Champions League
- 08 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We want to feel that winning sensation soon again"
- 08 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We conceded too much goals to top teams last season"
- 07 Aug 15:12 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The new players are giving us an extra spring"
- 07 Aug 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "I hope to stay here for many more years in the future"
- 06 Aug 06:39 MAN. UTD, Hernandez's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Aug 19:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Sanchez is a fantastic player, we'll have a good understanding"
- 05 Aug 10:29 ARSENAL, Usmanov: "Gunners primed for new era of trophies and glory"
- 05 Aug 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "I hope to keep Vlaar"
- 04 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen could leave"
- 03 Aug 09:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Maybe we don't need other players"
- 02 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Wickham will either renew or leave"
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 02 Sep 18:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Avramov joins Atalanta
- 02 Sep 18:32 TURKEY/ OFFICIAL, Konyaspor sign Belec
- 02 Sep 18:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester United announce terms on Falcao deal
- 02 Sep 18:18 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO MOSCOW, Diakité might join
- 02 Sep 18:11 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea loan Chalobah out again
- 02 Sep 18:04 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland sign Ricky Alvarez on loan from Inter
- 02 Sep 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, West Ham sign Amalfitano
- 02 Sep 17:50 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Atalanta sign Papu Gomez
- 02 Sep 17:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Coates out to Sunderland
- 02 Sep 17:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan sign Bonaventura
- 02 Sep 17:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino sign veteran goalie Castellazzi
- 02 Sep 17:22 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund loan Jonas Hofmann out
- 02 Sep 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan loan Gabriel to Serie B side Carpi
- 02 Sep 17:08 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Zaccardo stays at AC Milan
- 02 Sep 17:01 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Cabral set to be loaned out to soon
- 02 Sep 16:52 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kagawa joins Borussia Dortmund back from United
- 02 Sep 16:43 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Borussia Dortmund: Durm extends
- 02 Sep 16:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Amauri joins Torino
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 02 Sep 16:24 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, El Ahmadi joins Feyenoord back
- 02 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Leicester City, from United arrives Powell
- 02 Sep 16:12 ITALY/ AC MILAN, In talks for De Jong's renewal
- 02 Sep 15:59 ENGLAND/ QPR, working Visa arrived for Kranjcar and Vargas
- 02 Sep 15:50 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Borini: "Finally the madness is finished"
- 02 Sep 15:22 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Falcao thanks all for the transfer
- 02 Sep 15:01 AS ROMA, Balzaretti about the injury: "I feel bad for my team-mates, I feel guilty"
- 02 Sep 13:50 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool: Assaidi on loan at Stoke City
- 02 Sep 13:40 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto: ami on loan to Braga
- 02 Sep 10:31 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Celtic sign Scepovic
- 02 Sep 10:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City: arrives Ben Arfa
- 02 Sep 10:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton: arrives Mané
- 02 Sep 09:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Doyle joins Crystal Palace
- 02 Sep 00:14 BAYERN MUNICH, Xabi Alonso: "Winning Champions League here would be a dream coming true"
- 01 Sep 22:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AC Milan: Torres to be introduced tomorrow
- 01 Sep 21:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Parma sign Zaccardo back from AC Milan
- 01 Sep 20:45 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hibernian sign Sinclair
- 01 Sep 20:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Holtby back to Bundes
- 01 Sep 20:15 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto loan Carlos Eduardo out to OGC Nice
- 01 Sep 19:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid loan Bono Bounou out to Zaragoza
- 01 Sep 19:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Radamel Falcao about to be announced
- 01 Sep 19:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Kurtic
- 01 Sep 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City sign Abel Hernandez from Palermo
- 01 Sep 19:21 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica about to announce Cristante from AC Milan: the sum
- 01 Sep 19:12 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina agree with Hamburg on Badelj's transfer
- 01 Sep 19:03 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Former PSG and Liverpool talent N'Gog joins Reims
- 01 Sep 18:54 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Daley Blind joins Manchester United
- 01 Sep 18:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Van Ginkel joins AC Milan from Chelsea
- 01 Sep 18:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Medojevic joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 01 Sep 18:27 BREAKING NEWS - ENGLAND/ QPR, Deal with Liverpool: Borini deciding whether to join or not
- 01 Sep 18:18 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Feyenoord loan Hahn out
Manchester United management announced having signed Colombian international striker Radamel Falcao (28) on loan from AS Monaco. Red Devils have already paid 12 million euros to Ligue 1 side, which former Porto and Atletico Madrid star is currently on a deal with until June 2018,
The player of As Roma, Balzaretti wanted to hold this press conference to give the latest on his injury and explain what he's going through. "
Iker Casillas started in the Anoeta and spoke about Real Madrid‘s defeat in the Anoeta no sooner had the match finished: “The team was neg
Good luck to @krisolsson, who has joined Danish club FC Midtjylland on loan. Get the details: http://t.co/8Ek2GhE9mG pic.twitter.com/kUFs4dwinw
Interviewed by Telefoot, PSG new defender David Luiz has declared: "I am sure that here I will be happier than at Barcelona or Bayern, because PS
Xabi Alonso has set his sights on winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich, after previously lifting the trophy with Liverpool and Real Madrid.