CHELSEA, Cahill: "Mad Season"
It's been a mixed season at Stamford Bridge, with the achievement of winning the FA Cup slightly soured by our inability to finish in the top four, but no player more than Gary Cahill will have experienced such a varied series of emotions ahead of the Champions league Final on Saturday against Bayern Munich in Germany.
Prior to joining the Blues in January, Cahill, who has just returned to full training and expects to be fit for the game, was playing for a Bolton Wanderers side locked in a relegation scrap which they were ultimately unable to escape from, the complete opposite end of the spectrum to the challenge now facing the 26-year-old, and he admits it's been an eventful campaign.
'It's been a mad, fantastic season. Obviously I've made the move here and it's worked out really well,' he said. 'I'm looking to build a career at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup and now going into this massive game within my first six months is crazy. I'm hoping to be selected for the summer and if I am it will have been a fantastic second half of the season.'
Prior to picking up the injury which saw Cahill miss the FA Cup Final, as well as a string of crucial league matches, his form had been excellent.
The Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona at home saw him turn in arguably his best display in a blue shirt when our backs were against the wall, leading to widespread praise from both team-mates and supporters alike.
Moving clubs mid-season is notoriously a difficult transition to make, and even more so when you are joining a team low on confidence. However, as he admitted, everything is now in place for the campaign to end in the most memorable fashion.
'Ideally, you want to come in and hit the ground running and have everybody saying how amazing you are, but that doesn't always work so you have to work at your game,' he said.
'Moving in January is different to moving in the summer. It took a few weeks but I always thought it would come good, I was pleased with my form before I got the injury and now I want to keep progressing.
'It's where players want to be, I thought I was ready for the move and to try to make the next step up, but you want to try and play international football, you don't get any higher than that, but to play in the Champions League at club level is what you want to do, and I'm fortunate that I've played in that and want to do for the next few seasons.'
At club level, it doesn't get any bigger than the Champions league Final. Ninety minutes away from being crowned European champions and making history is the type of stage every footballer aspires to be on, but only the fortunate few have the opportunity.
As a player who has given everything to reach this level, Cahill appreciates everything that comes his way, but while he is fully aware of just how significant a match this is, he is wary of getting too caught up in the inevitable fanfare that surrounds such fixtures.
'It's a huge game, everybody knows how massive it is, but for us we can't get caught up in all of that because then you start thinking about things that aren't to do with the game,' he admitted.
'Bayern Munich are a good team, so we need to address it as a big game, but we've been doing well in the competition in recent months.
'You come to big clubs to play in big competitions and be a part of it. We've got a great chance to win the biggest competition in club football, so we just need to work hard and make sure it goes to plan on the day.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 05 May 10:34 LEICESTER tried to appoint Hiddink
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 09:47 HUDDERSFIELD - Danny Ward on target
- 04 May 09:26 LIVERPOOL - Caulker to leave
- 03 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Fellaini and Huth face 3 match ban
- 03 May 18:02 TOTTENHAM - Rose: "I'm sorry if it looked bad on TV"
- 03 May 17:22 LIVERPOOL - Can back to training
- 03 May 16:57 STOKE CITY - Club announces new kit makers
- 03 May 16:22 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We won't defend our title next year"
- 03 May 15:42 LIVERPOOL - Sakho given worldwide ban
- 03 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM - Kane: "It's just a disappointing night"
- 03 May 14:47 EVERTON - Jagielka to return before end of season
- 03 May 14:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - David De Gea breaks award record
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 02 May 10:45 CHELSEA - Obi Mikel set for a stay
- 02 May 10:25 ARSENAL - Target Tierney
- 02 May 09:37 SPURS- Lloris to extend the contract
- 02 May 09:01 LEICESTER - Drinkwater risks a two-matches-ban
- 01 May 21:14 CHELSEA - Hiddink: "Conte must challenge for title"
- 01 May 20:51 EVERTON - Martinez: "I share their frustration"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 22:30 Barca, Vermaelen: "I have not played much but I will not go away"
- 25 May 22:16 Anderlecht, there is also Pioli for the bench
- 25 May 22:08 Crespo: "Mascherano? "Its easy to say that would be the right player for Juventus"
- 25 May 22:00 Colonia, Rausch: "I want to start. Convinced by management"
- 25 May 21:54 Sporting Lisbona, the first reinforcement could be QPR player's Sandro
- 25 May 21:52 ARSENAL - Xhaka 'first contact with Wenger a year ago'
- 25 May 21:47 Radamel Falcao: "I think that I return to Monaco, is the best solution"
- 25 May 21:41 Inter, Zanetti: "Medel is important for us, it remains here"
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 25 May 21:20 COLOGNE - official Rausch joins
- 25 May 21:18 PSG, Verratti's ag.: "Marco has suffered so much for Zlatan farewell"
- 25 May 20:43 LEICESTER - Kramaric joins Hoffenheim
- 25 May 20:33 CHELSEA - Real Madrid are trying to persuade Courtois
- 25 May 20:14 BARCELONA - Vermaelen not contemplating departure
- 25 May 20:12 NEWCASTLE - Benitez statement on staying
- 25 May 20:01 SEVILLA - Unay Emery won't leave
- 25 May 19:36 LEICESTER manager Ranieri speaks about next season
- 25 May 19:35 NEWCASTLE/official - Benitez staying on 3 year deal
- 25 May 19:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Wilkins: "Mourinho has to play a different style"
- 25 May 18:57 SOUTHAMPTON - Koeman set to snub Everton for new deal with Saints
- 25 May 18:50 BREAKING NEWS - NEWCASTLE, Benitez to stay
- 25 May 18:23 GERMANY - Schweinsteiger confident he will play for Germany this summer
- 25 May 18:11 FIORENTINA, Corvino wants to bring Giaccherini in
- 25 May 17:55 FRANCE/ BASTIA, 2 Ligue 1 suitors for Ayité
- 25 May 17:43 WEST BROM - Lambert: "I've found it hard to score goals"
- 25 May 17:31 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Ryan Allsop renews for Bournemouth
- 25 May 17:20 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel: "Mourinho can bring success at United"
- 25 May 17:05 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Veteran Srna renews for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 25 May 16:48 LIVERPOOL - Suarez reunion in doubt after injury
- 25 May 16:36 MANCHESTER UNITED, Assault on Miranda is ready
- 25 May 16:24 TORINO, Eyes on Tomás Rincón
- 25 May 16:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Rafael Benitez closer to staying with Magpies
- 25 May 15:57 NAPOLI, New plan for Vecino
- 25 May 15:40 ENGLAND - Coleman wary of England's Jamie Vardy
- 25 May 15:32 TMW VIDEO - Mourinho has left his London house
- 25 May 15:21 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Rafaelov renews for Club Brugge
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 25 May 14:48 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Copenaghen sign Olsen on a full basis
- 25 May 14:30 GERMANY/ FC KOLN, Rausch about to join
- 25 May 14:14 BESIKTAS, First attempt for Glik failed
- 25 May 14:02 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL: Middlesbrough don't hire Agazzi, who joins AC Milan back
- 25 May 13:49 BAYERN MUNICH: Duel to to PSG, City and Barça on Leroy Sané
- 25 May 13:41 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ibarbo agrees to Panathinaikos transfer
- 25 May 13:34 ITALY/ GENOA, Scouting Renzetti
- 25 May 13:33 BREAKING NEWS - Josè Mourinho is still registered as trademark of Chelsea FC Limited
- 25 May 13:22 EVERTON, Back for Cerci
- 25 May 13:09 FIORENTINA, Back for Ljajic: transfer might be eased by new FIGC rules
- 25 May 12:56 JUVENTUS, Planning double swoop on Pjanic and Lukaku
- 25 May 12:41 SUNDERLAND keen on James Morrison
While Inter want to hold him at all costs, Brazilian international Joao Miranda (31) is more and more of the main market target for José Mourinho's new Manchester United. After Italian club's mandatory hireback from Atletico Madrid and Copa America, former Colchone
Inter vicepresident Javier Zanetti has spoken at Radio Cooperativa, about Gary Medel's future. "Gary is a very important player for us, for i
Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen has spoken at Sky Sports UK about his future: "I do not want to leave Barcelona, but the last few months have
Mikel Arteta and Tomas Rosicky will not be Arsenal's players. The Gunners have already informed FA that both contracts will not be renewed.
Donato Di Campli, Marco Verratti's agent has spoken at Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli: "Verratti is starting with great calm, between eight weeks wil
Henrikh Mkhitaryan was elected by Kicker, Bundesliga's best player. A prestigious award for the Armenian Borussia Dortmund midfielder followed in