CHELSEA, Cahill: "Mad Season"
It's been a mixed season at Stamford Bridge, with the achievement of winning the FA Cup slightly soured by our inability to finish in the top four, but no player more than Gary Cahill will have experienced such a varied series of emotions ahead of the Champions league Final on Saturday against Bayern Munich in Germany.
Prior to joining the Blues in January, Cahill, who has just returned to full training and expects to be fit for the game, was playing for a Bolton Wanderers side locked in a relegation scrap which they were ultimately unable to escape from, the complete opposite end of the spectrum to the challenge now facing the 26-year-old, and he admits it's been an eventful campaign.
'It's been a mad, fantastic season. Obviously I've made the move here and it's worked out really well,' he said. 'I'm looking to build a career at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup and now going into this massive game within my first six months is crazy. I'm hoping to be selected for the summer and if I am it will have been a fantastic second half of the season.'
Prior to picking up the injury which saw Cahill miss the FA Cup Final, as well as a string of crucial league matches, his form had been excellent.
The Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona at home saw him turn in arguably his best display in a blue shirt when our backs were against the wall, leading to widespread praise from both team-mates and supporters alike.
Moving clubs mid-season is notoriously a difficult transition to make, and even more so when you are joining a team low on confidence. However, as he admitted, everything is now in place for the campaign to end in the most memorable fashion.
'Ideally, you want to come in and hit the ground running and have everybody saying how amazing you are, but that doesn't always work so you have to work at your game,' he said.
'Moving in January is different to moving in the summer. It took a few weeks but I always thought it would come good, I was pleased with my form before I got the injury and now I want to keep progressing.
'It's where players want to be, I thought I was ready for the move and to try to make the next step up, but you want to try and play international football, you don't get any higher than that, but to play in the Champions League at club level is what you want to do, and I'm fortunate that I've played in that and want to do for the next few seasons.'
At club level, it doesn't get any bigger than the Champions league Final. Ninety minutes away from being crowned European champions and making history is the type of stage every footballer aspires to be on, but only the fortunate few have the opportunity.
As a player who has given everything to reach this level, Cahill appreciates everything that comes his way, but while he is fully aware of just how significant a match this is, he is wary of getting too caught up in the inevitable fanfare that surrounds such fixtures.
'It's a huge game, everybody knows how massive it is, but for us we can't get caught up in all of that because then you start thinking about things that aren't to do with the game,' he admitted.
'Bayern Munich are a good team, so we need to address it as a big game, but we've been doing well in the competition in recent months.
'You come to big clubs to play in big competitions and be a part of it. We've got a great chance to win the biggest competition in club football, so we just need to work hard and make sure it goes to plan on the day.'
Other news Premier League (England)
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 24 Jan 06:29 CHELSEA, Ramires' agent: "No negotiations for his departure"
- 23 Jan 11:03 LIVERPOOL, Brendan: "Lucas is the perfect example"
- 23 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Coquelin will get a new deal"
- 22 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Caballero: "I'm not moving to Argentina"
- 21 Jan 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I never wanted to go"
- 20 Jan 06:19 QPR, Fernandes: "Redknapp will stay"
- 19 Jan 09:29 MAN UTD, Rojo: "I came here to be a champion"
- 19 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Difficult to find a defender"
- 18 Jan 06:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I don't expect a big signing"
- 17 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Yaya Touré: "I don't know if I'll stay"
- 16 Jan 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 15 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Normal to be linked to the best players"
- 14 Jan 17:52 MANCHESTER CITY, Bony: "It’s a big honour to be here"
- 14 Jan 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I can't say what will happen next summer"
- 13 Jan 06:19 STOKE CITY, Crouch: "I would like to stay"
- 12 Jan 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko: "Arsenal are the club of my heart"
- 11 Jan 06:59 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "5 or 6 clubs after him"
- 10 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Barcelona? I am happy here"
- 09 Jan 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Townsend: "The club wants me to stay"
- 08 Jan 17:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "How I made it in football"
- 08 Jan 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony's agent: "Manchester City? I hope so"
- 07 Jan 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I don't think Ronaldo will join us"
- 06 Jan 00:39 AC MILAN, Inzaghi: "Torres left on good terms"
- 05 Jan 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I hope to find an agreement with Milner"
- 04 Jan 06:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I want Coquelin to have a future here"
- 03 Jan 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Gerrard would be welcome"
- 02 Jan 19:00 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Gerrard's farewell: "An immense player, an incomparable leader and man. The word legend doesn't do him justice"
- 02 Jan 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I love this club"
- 01 Jan 07:00 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "The transfer market? We won't be busy"
- 31 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "It was tough to watch"
- 31 Dec 06:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "I want to keep Shelvey"
- 30 Dec 12:21 ARSENAL, Gibbs: "I want to become a great player"
- 30 Dec 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Stambouli: "No regrets about coming here"
- 29 Dec 15:44 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "We defended with spirit"
- 29 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I don't know what will happen in the future"
- 28 Dec 06:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "Balotelli going nowhere"
- 26 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL v QPR - Boxing Day Preview - Giroud: "Happy to hear headers aren't my best quality"
- 25 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger: "Balance in rotation is very hard to find"
- 25 Dec 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? You never know.."
- 24 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Szczesny: "Austin could be a role model for young English players"
- 24 Dec 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Mertesacker: "He had a difficult start, but he's got sharper"
- 24 Dec 06:59 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "No enquiries for Berahino"
- 23 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL v QPR, Boxing Day Preview - Wenger on team news: "Rosicky and Sanogo will be certainly back"
- 23 Dec 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I like Morrison"
- 22 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I'm not pleased by our performance, but we take a good point achieved at Liverpool"
- 22 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Flamini after 2-2 at Liverpool: "We'll improve as we recover injured players"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 30 Nov 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Delph could leave"
- 29 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, Man of the match Cazorla on victory over WBA: "Important result, now we need to play the same way"
- 29 Nov 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "A few months ago I was the manager of the year..."
- 28 Nov 20:37 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger: "We need balance between attacking and defending. WBA's technical level is really good"
- 25 Jan 18:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Back for Salah
- 25 Jan 17:00 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Lead on Lavezzi
- 25 Jan 16:00 ITALY/ INTER, Also Darmian on the wishlist
- 25 Jan 15:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Campbell joins Villarreal
- 25 Jan 14:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Done for Necid
- 25 Jan 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Paulista joins Arsenal
- 25 Jan 12:00 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Offer for Kuzmanovic
- 25 Jan 11:27 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Suliman
- 25 Jan 10:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ergotelis sign Houla
- 25 Jan 10:29 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Offer for Everton Ribeiro
- 25 Jan 09:59 TURKEY/ BASAKSEHIR, Interest for Capel
- 25 Jan 09:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Still keen on Chiriches
- 25 Jan 09:00 TURKEY/ TRABZONSPOR, Offer for Kroos
- 25 Jan 08:27 ITALY/ LAZIO, Djordjevic injured
- 25 Jan 07:57 PSG, Blanc: "Only Chantome has asked to leave"
- 25 Jan 07:29 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "We wanted Brandt, but..."
- 25 Jan 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "I think Gomis will stay"
- 25 Jan 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I have no reasons to leave"
- 25 Jan 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Summer plan for signing Yaya Touré
- 24 Jan 23:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING BRAGA, 2 rivals towards Lazio's Pereirinha
- 24 Jan 22:00 ENGLAND/ WBA, Duel to Premier League and Serie A suitors for M'Vila
- 24 Jan 21:00 ITALY/ INTER, Cassano might join back
- 24 Jan 20:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiakos sign Franco Jara
- 24 Jan 19:39 ITALY/ AS ROMA: Duel to Arsenal, Liverpool and Juventus on Lacazette
- 24 Jan 19:20 ARGENTINA/ RACING AVELLANEDA, Eyes on Papu Gomez
- 24 Jan 19:00 CORINTHIANS & SAO PAULO, Pato offered to Everton
- 24 Jan 18:37 ITALY/ INTER, Almost done for Brozovic
- 24 Jan 18:17 ITALY/ TORINO, Steps forward towards Osvaldo
- 24 Jan 17:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Romulo might join Hellas Verona back
- 24 Jan 17:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Not giving up on Illarramendi
- 24 Jan 17:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Savic joins Watford
- 24 Jan 17:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Medical checks for Eto'o
- 24 Jan 16:27 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Diego Rodriguez joins Independiente Avellaneda
- 24 Jan 15:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, RCD Mallorca sign Xisco
- 24 Jan 15:29 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bologna sign Mbaye on loan from Inter
- 24 Jan 14:59 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Jaime Ayovi joins Godoy Cruz back
- 24 Jan 14:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Wigan yield Watson to Watford
- 24 Jan 14:00 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Shanghai Shenhua sign Papadopoulos
- 24 Jan 13:37 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Approaching Henrique
- 24 Jan 13:17 SPAIN/ RAYO VALLECANO, Correa about to join on loan from Atletico
- 24 Jan 12:59 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Big plan for signing Bale
- 24 Jan 12:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Larrondo joins Tigre
- 24 Jan 12:20 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Kuyt willing to join back
- 24 Jan 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid sign Lucas Silva
- 24 Jan 11:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Hamdi joins Brest
- 24 Jan 10:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Vasco da Gama sign Serginho
- 24 Jan 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Attempt for Luiz Adriano
- 24 Jan 08:30 USA/ OFFICIAL, Grana joins Columbus
- 24 Jan 07:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Felipe Anderson still injured
- 24 Jan 07:27 LILLE, Girard: "Nothing going on about my future"
According to latest news reported in Italian media, highlighted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter manager Roberto Mancini, with the consent of Neroazzurri owner, Erick Thohir, is planning to sign Ivorian international half-back Yaya Touré (31). Former
Interviewed by Voetbalnieuws, Napoli winger Dries Martens has declared: "I really have no reason to think about leaving. I don't know if some
Real Madrid coach Sergio Ramos has declared about 28-year-old defender Sergio Ramos: "He has always given everything for the team, he is motivate
Swansea manager Garry Monk has declared about 29-year-old striker Bafetimbi Gomis: "I'm confident Bafe will stay here. I''ve seen his
PSG coach Laurent Blanc has declared: "Until the market will be open, everything can happen, the only problem is the financial fair play, we can&
Interviewed by TZ, Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about 18-year-old midfielder Julian Brandt, currently at Bayer Leverkusen: &qu