CHELSEA, Cahill: "Mad Season"
It's been a mixed season at Stamford Bridge, with the achievement of winning the FA Cup slightly soured by our inability to finish in the top four, but no player more than Gary Cahill will have experienced such a varied series of emotions ahead of the Champions league Final on Saturday against Bayern Munich in Germany.
Prior to joining the Blues in January, Cahill, who has just returned to full training and expects to be fit for the game, was playing for a Bolton Wanderers side locked in a relegation scrap which they were ultimately unable to escape from, the complete opposite end of the spectrum to the challenge now facing the 26-year-old, and he admits it's been an eventful campaign.
'It's been a mad, fantastic season. Obviously I've made the move here and it's worked out really well,' he said. 'I'm looking to build a career at Chelsea. To win the FA Cup and now going into this massive game within my first six months is crazy. I'm hoping to be selected for the summer and if I am it will have been a fantastic second half of the season.'
Prior to picking up the injury which saw Cahill miss the FA Cup Final, as well as a string of crucial league matches, his form had been excellent.
The Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona at home saw him turn in arguably his best display in a blue shirt when our backs were against the wall, leading to widespread praise from both team-mates and supporters alike.
Moving clubs mid-season is notoriously a difficult transition to make, and even more so when you are joining a team low on confidence. However, as he admitted, everything is now in place for the campaign to end in the most memorable fashion.
'Ideally, you want to come in and hit the ground running and have everybody saying how amazing you are, but that doesn't always work so you have to work at your game,' he said.
'Moving in January is different to moving in the summer. It took a few weeks but I always thought it would come good, I was pleased with my form before I got the injury and now I want to keep progressing.
'It's where players want to be, I thought I was ready for the move and to try to make the next step up, but you want to try and play international football, you don't get any higher than that, but to play in the Champions League at club level is what you want to do, and I'm fortunate that I've played in that and want to do for the next few seasons.'
At club level, it doesn't get any bigger than the Champions league Final. Ninety minutes away from being crowned European champions and making history is the type of stage every footballer aspires to be on, but only the fortunate few have the opportunity.
As a player who has given everything to reach this level, Cahill appreciates everything that comes his way, but while he is fully aware of just how significant a match this is, he is wary of getting too caught up in the inevitable fanfare that surrounds such fixtures.
'It's a huge game, everybody knows how massive it is, but for us we can't get caught up in all of that because then you start thinking about things that aren't to do with the game,' he admitted.
'Bayern Munich are a good team, so we need to address it as a big game, but we've been doing well in the competition in recent months.
'You come to big clubs to play in big competitions and be a part of it. We've got a great chance to win the biggest competition in club football, so we just need to work hard and make sure it goes to plan on the day.'
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 06:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 18:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 06:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 06:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 06:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 14:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 13:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 07:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 06:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 06:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 06:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 16:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 06:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 06:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 19:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 18:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 09:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 16:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 17:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 16:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 11:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
- 23 Jul 15:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two youngsters renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 23 Jul 15:30 MLS - USA/ NY CITY FC, Xavi might join in December
- 23 Jul 15:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hubner: "Piazon from Chelsea? There are good signals"
- 23 Jul 14:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Nené
- 23 Jul 14:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chihi joins Fulham
- 23 Jul 14:20 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Keen on Vecino
- 23 Jul 14:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Adrian Fernandez joins Quilmes
- 23 Jul 13:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign back Sanogo
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
- 23 Jul 12:44 FRANCE/ PSG, No contacts with Conte
- 23 Jul 12:36 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas can leave: Arsenal thinking about him
- 23 Jul 12:31 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Krychowiak joins Sevilla
- 23 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Rodriguez: "I stay here"
- 23 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria: arrives Dos Santos
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
- 23 Jul 10:05 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Brahimi
- 23 Jul 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mathieu joins Barcelona
- 23 Jul 09:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Agreement with Nice for Ospina
- 23 Jul 09:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Waasland-Beveren sign Sawaneh
- 23 Jul 08:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marveaux joins Guingamp
- 23 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Vangioni
- 23 Jul 08:15 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Ingebrigtsen is Rosenborg new coach
- 23 Jul 08:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Napoli's offer for Suarez refused
- 23 Jul 07:45 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiacos sign Masuaku
- 23 Jul 07:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Ferreira Carrasco
- 23 Jul 07:15 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Mordovia sign Le Tallec
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 23 Jul 06:45 MONACO, Vasilyev: "We didn't want to sell Rodriguez"
- 23 Jul 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Hummels to United for 20 millions? Forget it"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 23:45 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Interest for Piazon
- 22 Jul 23:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Contacts for Eto'o
- 22 Jul 23:15 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL. Idea Samuel
- 22 Jul 23:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for M'Poku
Tracked hard by Everton, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Atletico Madrid, Belgian international striker Romelu Lukaku (21), as reported in English media and highlighted by The Sun, is offering clear signals of his forthcoming farewell to Chelsea, since he's training with...
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...