ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea: farewell Drogba
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Chelsea Football Club can confirm Didier Drogba will be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of June.
Didier has spent eight years at Chelsea, and everyone at the club would like to thank him for his service and wish him luck and continued success for the future.
Chelsea Chief Executive Ron Gourlay said: 'Didier is undoubtedly a Chelsea legend and will always be part of the Chelsea family. He is certainly leaving on a high after Saturday night but he feels the time is right for a new challenge.
'Of course Didier has contributed so much to all of Chelsea's recent successes. He has been a consummate professional during his entire time here and as one of the natural leaders in our squad he has been an inspiration to a lot of our younger players.
'We have known for some time that this outcome was likely but Didier and the club only made a final decision on that in the last couple of days, because for obvious reasons neither Didier nor the club wanted to distract focus away from the Champions League Final.
'The talks were amicable all the way through and we wish him all the best for the future. He is welcome back to Stamford Bridge at any time - either as a player or as a guest of ours.'
Didier leaves Chelsea having scored 157 goals in 341 appearances. He is the club's fourth all-time highest scorer, his 34 goals in European competition is a Chelsea record by 10 goals and his nine strikes in nine cup finals has contributed immensely to the most successful period in the club's history.
He won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two Carling Cups and now, in the most dramatic and glorious of circumstances, the Champions League. He has been named Chelsea's Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year and won the Premier League Golden Boot twice.
The 34-year-old said: 'I wanted to put an end to all the speculation and confirm that I am leaving Chelsea. It has been a very difficult decision for me to make and I am very proud of what we have achieved but the time is right for a new challenge for me.
'As a team we have accomplished so much and have won every single trophy possible. Saturday was a very special moment for everyone at the club and for all the fans, and I am very proud to have played my part in bringing many trophies to this club, which has been my home for the last eight years.
'I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at the club especially Roman and my team-mates, many of whom have become very close friends and will be my friends for life. I would also like to say a very special thank you to the Chelsea fans who have shown me so much love and support over the years.
'I wish the club all the best and continued success for the future - you will always be in my heart.'
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 10 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are in good mind, we have a chance against Bayern"
- 10 Mar 11:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He looks regenerated, goal was important"
- 10 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "FA Cup is a great opportunity for us"
- 10 Mar 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "A quality performance against Everton. Giroud made a difference"
- 10 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero won't leave"
- 09 Mar 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I want to keep Ireland"
- 08 Mar 18:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Mertesacker: "Per gives everything for the club"
- 08 Mar 15:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "He could still play World Cup"
- 08 Mar 12:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Gibbs: "We'll need to take them seriously"
- 08 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger: "Doubt on Koscielny"
- 08 Mar 06:39 WEST BROMWICH, Mel: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 07 Mar 06:30 SUNDERLAND, Alonso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 06 Mar 20:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Chile was a tough opponent for German NT. It's vital for us to get all fit for World Cup"
- 06 Mar 19:15 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been looking for a title song"
- 06 Mar 17:45 ARSENAL, Vermaelen on Rosicky: "He's technically almost perfect, I'm happy he renewed"
- 06 Mar 16:30 ARSENAL, Medical report on Jack Wilshere: 6 weeks out
- 06 Mar 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Youth team can go all the way"
- 05 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I want to stay in any case"
- 04 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky about renewal: "Proud to be still here after many years, it's the right place for me"
- 04 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after renewal: "It's lovely here, it was easy for me to commit to the club"
- 04 Mar 13:30 ARSENAL, Per: "I try to be a positive influence"
- 04 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "This is the right place for me"
- 04 Mar 10:14 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "Luis Suarez is an absolute genius"
- 04 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Yes, we are after Griezmann"
- 03 Mar 06:19 NORWICH, Hughton: "No fear for my future"
- 02 Mar 06:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "Why leave?"
- 01 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Liverpool might surprise us all and win Premier League"
- 01 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Stoke City will be very aggressive against us"
- 01 Mar 06:39 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We are interested in Olic"
- 01 Mar 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Let's judge Premier League clubs after Champions eighth finals second leg"
- 28 Feb 19:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Premier League is still the best one"
- 28 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen can play on the left back against Stoke"
- 28 Feb 06:57 OL, Aulas: "Napoli will be back for Gonalons"
- 28 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Evra: "I love this club.."
- 27 Feb 11:15 CHELSEA, Eto'o: "Is not over yet"
- 27 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "One day I could move back to Inter"
- 26 Feb 06:19 ARSENAL, Arteta: "My age is only a number"
- 25 Feb 14:44 CHELSEA, Cech: "It's a new situation to face Drogba"
- 25 Feb 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Back to Koln? I can't exclude it"
- 24 Feb 06:19 MAN. CITY, Lescott: "I am about to leave"
- 23 Feb 10:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Fabianski wants to leave, but.."
- 23 Feb 09:00 ARSENAL, Flamini on Ozil: "He's one of my closest friends, everyone is happy with having him here"
- 23 Feb 07:29 ARSENAL, Wenger on squad members in victory over Sunderland: "Arteta is so intelligent, Giroud has got great psychological force"
- 23 Feb 04:57 ARSENAL, Arteta: "It's gonna be tough for us from now on"
- 23 Feb 01:57 ARSENAL, Sagna: "Criticisms on Ozil have been too harsh"
- 23 Feb 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on success over Sunderland: "We answered to frustration"
- 22 Feb 10:57 ARSENAL v SUNDERLAND, Special Preview - Wenger on Sanogo: "He's passionate and ready to fight"
- 22 Feb 09:59 ARSENAL v SUNDERLAND, Special Preview - Wenger: "Everybody can miss penalties, Ozil apologized"
- 11 Mar 13:00 ITALY/ GENOA, Eyes on Horta
- 11 Mar 12:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Sahin on permanent deal
- 11 Mar 12:40 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve: eyes on Ranocchia
- 11 Mar 12:16 SWITZERLAND/ EXCLUSIVE TMW -Fabianski for the after Sommer
- 11 Mar 12:01 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Martino and Messi for so long in blaugrana"
- 11 Mar 11:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Valdes admits English lure
- 11 Mar 11:30 JUENTUS, Chiellini hails Scirea legacy
- 11 Mar 11:15 BELGIUM/ FEYENOORD, Pellè is for sale
- 11 Mar 10:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Valladolid drop Patrick Ebert legal case
- 11 Mar 10:42 FRANCE/ PSG, Offered a new contract to Rabiot
- 11 Mar 10:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Jack Rodwell can come back
- 11 Mar 10:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger fears red mist ahead of Gunners clash with Bayern"
- 11 Mar 09:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Increas suitors for Alvaro Morata
- 11 Mar 09:44 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Zenit: axed Spalletti
- 11 Mar 09:28 ITALY/ JUVE, Pirlo extends until 2017
- 11 Mar 08:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Acuna
- 11 Mar 08:00 USA/ OFFICIAL, Johnson renews for Portland
- 11 Mar 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Redmond remains at Carlisle
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 11 Mar 06:57 RENNES, Alessandrini: "I dream to play for OM"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 11 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "I hope to stay"
- 10 Mar 23:37 USA/ OFFICIAL, Djalò joins San Jose
- 10 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Offer for Hernandez ready
- 10 Mar 22:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ain fire Sanchez-Flores
- 10 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Baumgartner closer
- 10 Mar 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL, Courtois could join in 2015
- 10 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shea back to Stoke City
- 10 Mar 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin likely to renew
- 10 Mar 21:17 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Spalletti risks to be fired
- 10 Mar 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabiot's renewal farther
- 10 Mar 20:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL. Contreras joins Gimnasia
- 10 Mar 20:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Pedro could renew
- 10 Mar 20:00 FRANCE/ OM, Lopez likely to renew
- 10 Mar 19:45 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Sprint for Zivkovic
- 10 Mar 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Hasi is Anderlecht new coach
- 10 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sommer will play for Borussia M.
- 10 Mar 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain warns Bayern Munich
- 10 Mar 18:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola warning for Arsenal
- 10 Mar 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zapata: "I think in the Champions we’ve been very compact and solid"
- 10 Mar 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sampdoria, Ceo Sagramola quits
- 10 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos hints at Premier switch
- 10 Mar 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I think we're also negotiating with Palacio"
- 10 Mar 17:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva: "Market? I'm happy in Paris"
- 10 Mar 17:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Contra is Getafe new coach
- 10 Mar 16:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN LEVERKUSEN, Hegeler out
- 10 Mar 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe: Julio Cesar Jacobi the new goalie
- 10 Mar 16:16 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pochettino wants Quagliarella at Southampton
Bayern Munich cannot afford to be complacent against Arsenal in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 clash on Tuesday night, coach Pep Guardiola has warned.
"Winning 2-0 in London was a very good result for us, but it is also dangerous," said...
At the launch of his new book on Gaetano Scirea, “C’è un angelo bianconero” (There’s a Bianconeri Angel), Giorgio...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared about the possibility to join Real...
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, talking about Everton success, Champions League and FA Cup, declared: "It was important for us to...
To Fifa.com, the midfielder of Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo has spoken about his future.
"It’s always nice when big clubs are...
Interviewed by Canal Football Club, Rennes midfielder Rennes Alessandrini has declared: "As all the players, I dream to play for a great...