EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Other news Other News
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "Iím better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" Iím chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis SuŠrez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Oct 10:40 HAMBURG & HERTHA, Keen on Rosenberg
- 21 Oct 10:17 ITALY/ INTER, Campagnaro again likely to leave
- 21 Oct 09:57 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "Theo Walcott's return can give us a unique pace"
- 21 Oct 09:39 GERMANY/ WOLSFBURG, Eyes on Pazzini
- 21 Oct 09:19 FRANCE/ O.M., Survey on Darmian
- 21 Oct 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Valdes decreases fee request
- 21 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Levante fire Mendilibar
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 21 Oct 07:27 OL, Ferri: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 21 Oct 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Reus? We'll make a decision with calm"
- 21 Oct 06:29 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Never to Tottenham"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 21 Oct 00:00 ROMA, Nainggolan: "My future? I evaluate year by year"
- 20 Oct 23:27 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Eyes on Samba
- 20 Oct 22:57 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Rui Duarte quits Olhanense
- 20 Oct 22:29 SPAIN/ ESPANYOL, Also Liverpool after Casilla
- 20 Oct 21:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Zappacosta the alternative to Lichtsteiner
- 20 Oct 21:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Djukic is Cordoba new coach
- 20 Oct 21:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Trying to extend Bellarabi's deal
- 20 Oct 20:37 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Keen on Bergessio
- 20 Oct 20:17 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Keen on Joao Pereira
- 20 Oct 19:59 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Uche about to renew
- 20 Oct 19:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Smith back to Liverpool
- 20 Oct 19:20 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Mario Suarez
- 20 Oct 19:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Ferrer is no longer Cordoba coach
- 20 Oct 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Rolando always closer
- 20 Oct 18:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Munir towards Celta
- 20 Oct 18:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Three options for Ilicic
- 20 Oct 17:58 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City: away on loan Butland
- 20 Oct 17:31 AS ROMA, De Rossi: "We play better in the Champions League"
- 20 Oct 17:15 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, A surgery forThiago Alcantara
- 20 Oct 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Obiang still on Benitez's wishlist
- 20 Oct 16:45 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been unlucky, but no time for excuses"
- 20 Oct 16:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Approaching Reid
- 20 Oct 16:15 BELGIUM/ STANDARD LIEGE, Suitors for Mpoku increasing
- 20 Oct 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Okazaki
- 20 Oct 15:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Benitez back tracking Mario Suarez
- 20 Oct 15:30 ATALANTA & CAGLIARI, Duel to Chievo on Milovic
- 20 Oct 15:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayew's purchase in January due to Balotelli letdown
- 20 Oct 15:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Standard Liege fire Luzon
- 20 Oct 14:45 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Eyes on Embolo
- 20 Oct 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, January move for Carvalho ready
- 20 Oct 14:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, New surveys on Darmian
- 20 Oct 14:00 FRANCE/ RENNES, Keen on Piatti
- 20 Oct 13:45 AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I left the pitch angrily because I knew I could have played better"
- 20 Oct 13:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, No agreement on Gaitan's renewal
- 20 Oct 13:15 CROATIA/ HAJDUK SPLIT, Italian scouting for Caktas
- 20 Oct 13:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Bittersweet game against Hull"
- 20 Oct 12:45 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Keen on Grahl
- 20 Oct 12:30 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, 3-fold winter duel for Gabbiadini
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Gunners midfielder Jack Wilshere talked about the return in Under-21 squad of Theo Walcott, coming from a long-term injury: “Theo gives us something different - he gives us pace. I know we’ve got Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who gives us pace
Interviewed by Sporza.be, AS Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan has declared: "I don't know what will happen in the future, I make my evaluatio
Interviewed by The Sun, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I loved England; I was very happy at Chelsea. I liked the atmosphere, th
Interviewed by Arsenal Player, Gunners midfielder Jack Wilshere talked about the return in Under-21 squad of Theo Walcott, coming from a long-term inj
PSG defender Thiago Silva has declared: "My injury is my fault: I have told the coach that I was ready to play. Now my leg is better, not my mind
As reported by Kicker, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has declared about Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder Marco Reus: "To be