EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 10 Mar 07:17 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Diouf injured
- 09 Mar 08:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Arbeloa injured
- 08 Mar 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Klose the next president?
- 07 Mar 07:15 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Jansen injured
- 06 Mar 07:00 GERMANY/ WERDER, Garcia injured
- 05 Mar 18:02 HOLLAND, Van Gaal: "Netherlands are World Cup outsiders"
- 05 Mar 17:16 FRANCE, Zinedine Zidane 'proud' of son Enzo after France call-up
- 05 Mar 07:15 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Bengoechea is the new NT coach
- 04 Mar 07:17 AUSTRIA/ RED BULL, Ulmer injured
- 03 Mar 07:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Season over for Rajkovic
- 02 Mar 08:30 HOLLAND/ NT, Agreement with Hiddink
- 01 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pasqual injured
- 28 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sabatini at Roma until 2017
- 27 Feb 17:14 GREECE, Santos will leave after the World Cup
- 27 Feb 07:17 CHINA/ OFFICIAL, Perrin is the NT new coach
- 26 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, DIas out for three weeks
- 25 Feb 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Bender out for two months
- 24 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Florenzi injured
- 22 Feb 07:57 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Ibai Gomez injured
- 21 Feb 07:40 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Assaidi out for 6 weeks
- 20 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, Chivu underwent surgery
- 19 Feb 13:00 ITALY, Prandelli: "Balotelli needs balance"
- 18 Feb 19:31 A-League All Stars, Del Piero: "Welcome Juventus"
- 18 Feb 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Wendt injured
- 15 Feb 07:57 RUSSIA/ KUBAN, Baldé injured
- 14 Feb 12:31 TENERIFE, Perez's agent: "Contacts with Porto"
- 14 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Savic out for 10 days
- 13 Feb 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Manquillo injured
- 12 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, Hernanes injured
- 11 Feb 19:00 BRAZIL, Fernandinho and Rafinha called up to Brazil squad
- 11 Feb 15:00 ITALY, Prandelli coy on Italy future
- 11 Feb 07:17 GERMANY/ NUREMBERG, Chandler out for two months
- 08 Feb 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hiddink will work for PSV
- 07 Feb 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Cristante injured
- 06 Feb 13:33 Soccerex, Premier League Tops Europe's Big Spenders
- 06 Feb 07:17 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Fletcher injured
- 05 Feb 07:17 PERU/ NT, Decisive meeting with Moriero
- 04 Feb 07:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Villa injured
- 01 Feb 11:30 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Ibarbo underwent surgery
- 31 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ TIM CUP, Semi-finals schedule
- 30 Jan 08:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Hummels ready to come back
- 29 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Good news for Rossi
- 28 Jan 07:17 PERU/ NT, Moriero the next coach?
- 27 Jan 15:41 ITALY, Prandelli: "We need to think about helping Balotelli"
- 27 Jan 07:00 SPAIN/ BETIS, Vadillo out for one month
- 26 Jan 07:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Blaszczykowski injured
- 25 Jan 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Valero injured
- 23 Jan 07:17 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao seriously injured
- 22 Jan 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Season over for Ederson
- 11 Mar 11:15 BELGIUM/ FEYENOORD, Pellè is for sale
- 11 Mar 10:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Valladolid drop Patrick Ebert legal case
- 11 Mar 10:42 FRANCE/ PSG, Offered a new contract to Rabiot
- 11 Mar 10:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Jack Rodwell can come back
- 11 Mar 10:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger fears red mist ahead of Gunners clash with Bayern"
- 11 Mar 09:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Increas suitors for Alvaro Morata
- 11 Mar 09:44 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Zenit: axed Spalletti
- 11 Mar 09:28 ITALY/ JUVE, Pirlo extends until 2017
- 11 Mar 08:00 USA/ OFFICIAL, Johnson renews for Portland
- 11 Mar 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Redmond remains at Carlisle
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 11 Mar 06:57 RENNES, Alessandrini: "I dream to play for OM"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 11 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "I hope to stay"
- 10 Mar 23:37 USA/ OFFICIAL, Djalò joins San Jose
- 10 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Offer for Hernandez ready
- 10 Mar 22:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ain fire Sanchez-Flores
- 10 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Baumgartner closer
- 10 Mar 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL, Courtois could join in 2015
- 10 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shea back to Stoke City
- 10 Mar 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin likely to renew
- 10 Mar 21:17 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Spalletti risks to be fired
- 10 Mar 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabiot's renewal farther
- 10 Mar 20:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL. Contreras joins Gimnasia
- 10 Mar 20:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Pedro could renew
- 10 Mar 20:00 FRANCE/ OM, Lopez likely to renew
- 10 Mar 19:45 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Sprint for Zivkovic
- 10 Mar 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Hasi is Anderlecht new coach
- 10 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sommer will play for Borussia M.
- 10 Mar 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain warns Bayern Munich
- 10 Mar 18:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola warning for Arsenal
- 10 Mar 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zapata: "I think in the Champions we’ve been very compact and solid"
- 10 Mar 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sampdoria, Ceo Sagramola quits
- 10 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos hints at Premier switch
- 10 Mar 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I think we're also negotiating with Palacio"
- 10 Mar 17:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva: "Market? I'm happy in Paris"
- 10 Mar 17:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Contra is Getafe new coach
- 10 Mar 16:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN LEVERKUSEN, Hegeler out
- 10 Mar 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe: Julio Cesar Jacobi the new goalie
- 10 Mar 16:16 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pochettino wants Quagliarella at Southampton
- 10 Mar 16:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Anderlecht: axed the coach van den Brom
- 10 Mar 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE,
- 10 Mar 15:22 FRANCE/ LYON, Lacazette rejects Liverpool
- 10 Mar 15:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa dreaming Manchester United
- 10 Mar 14:15 INTER, Zanetti: "Important to move forward together with Inter"
- 10 Mar 14:03 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Balotelli has a slight pain which I think he can cope with"
- 10 Mar 13:44 INTER, Fassone: "The president envisages a very balanced side, Mazzarri is a sure thing"
- 10 Mar 13:30 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on Stiepermann
Bayern Munich cannot afford to be complacent against Arsenal in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 clash on Tuesday night, coach Pep Guardiola has warned.
"Winning 2-0 in London was a very good result for us, but it is also dangerous," said...
Interviewed by Sky Sport 24, Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has declared: "Ending my career at Juve? I hope so, I will be 30 in...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared about the possibility to join Real...
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, talking about Everton success, Champions League and FA Cup, declared: "It was important for us to...
To Fifa.com, the midfielder of Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo has spoken about his future.
"It’s always nice when big clubs are...
Interviewed by Canal Football Club, Rennes midfielder Rennes Alessandrini has declared: "As all the players, I dream to play for a great...