EURO 2012/ ITALY, Balotelli's agent lasts UEFA president Platini for being weak on racism
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Mario Balotelli’s agent accused UEFA president Michel Platini of being weak on racism the day after the Manchester City striker was abused by Spain fans during Italy’s opening game of Euro 2012.
Balotelli himself has not responded after a minority of Spanish supporters were heard making racist chants during the teams’ 1-1 draw on Sunday.
But his representative, Mino Raiola, hit out at Platini for failing to back Balotelli when he claimed he would walk off during a game if he heard racist abuse.
Platini suggested the forward should be booked if he left the field, but Raiola said: ‘I have to say that the reaction of UEFA to what Mario said was very strange and I would have expected a different reaction.
‘Mario has had this problem before and in Italy we have a saying: Racism is ignorance.
‘Mario is the kind of lad where this kind of abuse glides off his back but I was very disappointed with what Michel Platini said and a lot of people are with me on that. I can’t say I’m surprised by the reaction, though.
‘I don’t believe Platini has done anything to improve the game or help the position of players — as his reaction to Mario shows.’
Raiola was impressed with the approach of the English FA to race issues after he met officials. He said: ‘I have had meetings with the FA and they’ve been very proactive. They are ahead of other countries in Europe.’
The Italian Football Federation said that Balotelli had not complained of a problem during or after Sunday’s game. It is believed the chants were heard by photographers stationed at the end of the stadium where the Spanish fans were sitting.
And last night a Spanish supporters’ group confirmed that up to 200 fans had directed monkey chants at Balotelli. Their spokesman Thomas Herzog said: ‘The majority of the Spanish supporters reacted in a very positive way, because many of them tried to intervene and stop the fans from singing. We are clearly angry about this small section of Spanish supporters showing this kind of racist behaviour.’
UEFA responded to heightened awareness of the racism issue by writing to the mayors of Polish and Ukrainian host cities to ask for an increased police presence at training.
Some members of the Holland squad complained of hearing racist abuse during an open session at Wisla Krakow’s stadium last week, when thousands of Poles turned up.
A statement said: ‘UEFA ask that all necessary measures — including an increased police presence — be implemented to prevent any display of racist or discriminatory behaviour at such public sessions.
‘UEFA have also requested that any person found to be engaging in racist behaviour be immediately ejected and that criminal proceedings be launched.’
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 14:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 08:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 07:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 07:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 07:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 08:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 07:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 07:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 08:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 16:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 07:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 08:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 07:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 17:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 16:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 12:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 07:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 19:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 07:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 17:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 08:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 07:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 19:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 18:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 12:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 09:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 07:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 16:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 07:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 15:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 14:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 07:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 18:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 07:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 10:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 24 Jul 22:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Idea Fernando
- 24 Jul 21:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Coke renews with Sevilla
- 24 Jul 21:17 ITALY/ GENOA, Campagnaro farther
- 24 Jul 20:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Keen on Casillas
- 24 Jul 20:39 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rossettini renews with Cagliari
- 24 Jul 20:20 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Benfica sign Eliseu
- 24 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Agreement for Basanta
- 24 Jul 19:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rulli joins Real Sociedad
- 24 Jul 19:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, AS Roma sign Sanabria
- 24 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Super offer for Marquinhos ready
- 24 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Malonga quits Cesena
- 24 Jul 18:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Montpellier sign Gissi
- 24 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Astori joins Roma
- 24 Jul 18:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover sign Gülselam
- 24 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Magnusson joins Cesena
- 24 Jul 17:44 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Working on Garcia loan
- 24 Jul 17:31 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Eintracht Frankfurt: arrives Lucas Piazon
- 24 Jul 17:14 ITALY/ INTER, Ausilio: "Working in Medel"
- 24 Jul 17:05 INTER, Claire Lewis joins club as Marketing Director
- 24 Jul 16:44 OFFICIAL, Aguirre named new Japan boss
- 24 Jul 16:31 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Paok: from Gimnasia arrives Facundo Pereya
- 24 Jul 16:16 USA/ OFFICIAL, Lampard completes New York City FC move
- 24 Jul 16:14 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swans sign Montero
- 24 Jul 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on Isla
- 24 Jul 15:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Working on Zuculini's loan
- 24 Jul 15:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, United assault evened: 45 million euros to Juventus for Vidal
- 24 Jul 15:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Greece-German youngster Spanoudakis about to join
- 24 Jul 15:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Taarabt willig to join back
- 24 Jul 14:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rayo Vallecano sign Pozuelo
- 24 Jul 14:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, From Spain: majestic offer for Marquinhos
- 24 Jul 14:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Closing on Vermaelen
- 24 Jul 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Back for Ryan Bertrand
- 24 Jul 13:45 INTER & ATLETICO MADRID, Final duel on Chicharito Hernandez
- 24 Jul 13:30 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Agreement with Marseille for signing Payet
- 24 Jul 13:17 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin joining Arsenal might lead Clasie in
- 24 Jul 13:03 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo Verona sign Gamberini
- 24 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Duel to Italian and German rivals on Bonaventura
- 24 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Lead over Liverpool and Porto on Bakkali
- 24 Jul 12:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Michel
- 24 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Kiyotake about to be announced
- 24 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Real Madrid offer for El Shaarawy rejected
- 24 Jul 11:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Miranda joins Chievo Verona
- 24 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Surprise lead over Lazio on Astori
- 24 Jul 11:00 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Eyes on Antonsson
- 24 Jul 10:45 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Zeman wants Galano
- 24 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Bellomo more and more likely to join
- 24 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Arsenal defeated: Loic Remy about to join
- 24 Jul 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Romero
- 24 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Agree £4million fee for midfielder Besic
- 24 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo weighs up Galatasaray transfer due to Allegri's presence
Hired back by Juventus on a full basis from Udinese last June, Chilean international right backwing and midfielder Mauricio Isla (26), tracked by Inter and Lazio, as well as possibly used in a swap with Fiorentina involving Stevan Savic, has become an item of interest for...
FC Internazionale is delighted to welcome Claire Lewis to the team as Marketing Director. Lewis joins Inter from Apple having previously worked...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...