EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mand×ukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Other News
- 04 Dec 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Valbuena injured
- 02 Dec 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Cassano injured
- 01 Dec 10:57 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Nastasic injured
- 30 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Aogo injured
- 29 Nov 07:40 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Galliani about to leave
- 29 Nov 07:17 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Mitroglou injured
- 28 Nov 07:17 EGYPT/ OFFICIAL, Shawky is the new NT coach
- 27 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Robinho injured
- 26 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew has undergone surgery
- 25 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik injured
- 24 Nov 11:27 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery out for a long time
- 23 Nov 07:57 SWITZERLAND/ ZURICH, Nef injured
- 22 Nov 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Ayew will undergo surgery
- 21 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Hummels out for two months
- 20 Nov 14:34 CELTIC, Fridjonsson: "I can improve here every day "
- 20 Nov 07:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels and Schmelzer injured
- 19 Nov 09:56 ITALY, Prandelli felt Italy deserved more than draw against Nigeria
- 19 Nov 07:17 CZECH. REP./ OFFICIAL, Vrba will be the NT coach
- 18 Nov 07:20 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Khedira underwent surgery
- 17 Nov 10:27 ITALY/ INTER, Samuel injured
- 16 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger back in January
- 15 Nov 18:47 IRELAND, Di Canio hits back at O'Neill
- 15 Nov 15:15 CAMEROON, Eto'o claims conspiracy: "I heard of plot not to pass to me"
- 15 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger underwent surgery
- 14 Nov 07:40 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Graf is Young Boys new Technical Director
- 14 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic underwent surgery
- 13 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Gomez ready to come back
- 12 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ FREIBURG, Schuster injured
- 11 Nov 18:15 FIFA PUSKAS AWARD, ten best goals of the year announced
- 11 Nov 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Season over for Subotic
- 10 Nov 11:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Subotic injured
- 09 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ PSG, Verratti injured
- 08 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Destro has recovered
- 07 Nov 20:00 ENGLAND, Hodgson confident on security
- 07 Nov 07:00 IRELAND/ OFFICIAL, O' Neill is the NT new manager
- 05 Nov 17:15 IRELAND, O'Neill agrees new deal with Northern Ireland
- 05 Nov 07:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Mesto out for four months
- 02 Nov 08:57 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev will be the NT coach until 2016
- 01 Nov 07:57 PERU/ OFFICIAL, Markarian is no longer the NT coach
- 30 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 29 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Djourou injured
- 28 Oct 06:45 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Season over for Suarez
- 27 Oct 10:57 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nawalks is the new NT coach
- 27 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Flamini injured
- 26 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Cirigliano injured
- 25 Oct 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Pizarro injured
- 24 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Dos Santos will undergo surgery
- 23 Oct 06:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Ambrosini out for two weeks
- 22 Oct 07:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Season over for H÷ger
- 20 Oct 09:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Diaby could undergo surgery
- 04 Dec 16:45 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Wenger on Ozil: "His outstanding quality resides in passing"
- 04 Dec 16:30 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Suler resigns from Legia Warszaw
- 04 Dec 16:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Juventus refuse Vucinic-Mata swap
- 04 Dec 16:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Nani more and more likely to leave on loan in January
- 04 Dec 15:45 SWEDEN/ HALMSTADS, Bundesliga and other European suitors on Berisha
- 04 Dec 15:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Predicted lineups: Wilshere over Rosicky and Walcott
- 04 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Julio Sergio resigns from AS Roma
- 04 Dec 15:00 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Not happy, wants to leave. Premier League is his first choice"
- 04 Dec 14:45 ITALY/ INTER, Kovacic might leave on loan
- 04 Dec 14:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Bruce: "Arsenal play with fluidity and freedom"
- 04 Dec 14:15 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Eyes on Lodi
- 04 Dec 14:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Athletic Bilbao renew Iraola's deal
- 04 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Wenger: "Emirates gives us a massive advantage"
- 04 Dec 08:00 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Pellicer quits Huachipato
- 04 Dec 07:40 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, MandiÓ is Alaves new coach
- 04 Dec 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Valbuena injured
- 04 Dec 06:57 PSG, Blanc: "Tired of the rumours about Lavezzi"
- 04 Dec 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Ter Stegen: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 04 Dec 06:19 WBA, Mulumbu: "Never said that I want to join Arsenal"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 04 Dec 00:00 INTER, Cambiasso: "I am not worried about my new contract"
- 03 Dec 23:37 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Rodriguez towards Rayo
- 03 Dec 23:17 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Ganso won't join
- 03 Dec 22:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Chance for Bigon
- 03 Dec 22:39 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Tottenham after Lavezzi
- 03 Dec 22:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Borja Valero could extend
- 03 Dec 22:00 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Quaresma back in January?
- 03 Dec 21:45 ITALY/ LAZIO, Offer for Kace ready
- 03 Dec 21:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Two English clubs after Pedro
- 03 Dec 21:15 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Eyes on Caceres
- 03 Dec 21:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Plan for Sneijder
- 03 Dec 20:45 FRANCE/ MONACO, Offer for Otamendi ready
- 03 Dec 20:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Arsenal and United after Carcalho
- 03 Dec 20:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Still keen on Nkoulou
- 03 Dec 20:00 SPAIN/ BETIS SEVILLA, Thinking about Hoarau for the forward line
- 03 Dec 19:45 ENGLAND/ EXCLUSIVE, Watford: eyes on Nakoulma
- 03 Dec 19:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger expects Vermaelen to stay
- 03 Dec 19:15 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL. Heylen joins Anderlecht
- 03 Dec 19:00 AC MILAN, Zapata: "All of the defenders are ready if necessary"
- 03 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger's news on Podolski
- 03 Dec 18:30 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Pinto quits Panathinaikos
- 03 Dec 18:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fryatt joins Hull City back from Wednesday
- 03 Dec 18:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Relevant move for Micah Richards
- 03 Dec 17:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bristol City, Cotterill is the new coach
- 03 Dec 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Leaving Vermaelen out is hard"
- 03 Dec 17:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Ready the offer to Stoke for Jones
- 03 Dec 17:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sanabria's agent: "Arsenal, Chelsea and Serie A clubs keen on him. He might extend for Barša"
- 03 Dec 16:45 ITALY/ INTER, New suggestion for Vucinic
- 03 Dec 16:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview: James Chester can make a starter against Gunners
- 03 Dec 16:15 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Serie A sirens singing for Ansaldi
Talking at his pre-game conference, before Premier League home clash against Hull City, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger commented upon Mesut Ozil's skills as an assistman: "When it comes to key passes he is the man. When he has the ball, I know as a player, I...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso has declared: "My new contract? We'll see, at the moment I am not...
Interviewed by Radio Capital, Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I already have Cristiano Ronaldo, why would I need Messi?...
Talking at his pre-game conference, before Premier League home clash against Hull City, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger commented upon...
Interviewed by Bild, Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen has declared: "In the next days there will be a...
PSG manager Laurent Blanc has declared: "Lavezzi at Inter? What concerns me is that you are anticipating the winter transfer window. Stop...