EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 04 May 12:20 DUNDEE - Paatelainen to leave after relegation
- 30 Apr 09:19 BENFICA: Jardel: "Great supporters, important victory"
- 27 Apr 13:17 GLASGOW RANGERS - Target Hollooway
- 26 Apr 14:02 DINAMO KYIV - Veloso: "I want to leave"
- 25 Apr 11:30 UCL/ MAN CITY v REAL MADRID - Zidane takes the entire squad to Manchester
- 23 Apr 12:09 BENFICA, Talisca to China?
- 23 Apr 07:51 AJAX- Milik ready to leave
- 22 Apr 09:11 ANDERLECHT - Proto could leave
- 17 Apr 17:57 MLS - Drogba opens 2016 season with sublime backheel
- 15 Apr 18:32 CHAMPIONS - Another Madrid final still possible
- 15 Apr 17:52 EURO 16 - Coentrao set to miss Euros
- 15 Apr 16:57 CHAMPIONS - Pellegrini returns to the Bernabeu
- 14 Apr 18:05 BARCELONA - Messi playing with muscle problems
- 13 Apr 12:26 UCL / Atletico v Barcelona: There can only be on
- 12 Apr 21:47 UCL / Manchester City 1-0 Paris Saint-Germain (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 UCL / REAL MADRID 3-0 WOLFSBURG (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Results
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / MAN.CITY 0 - 0 PSG (first time)
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / R.MADRID 2 - 0 WOLFSBURG (first time)
- 11 Apr 13:18 CHAMPIONS - Zinedine Zidane faces most crucial week of his career as Real Madrid coach
- 10 Apr 22:45 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Nacional 4 - 1 Estoril
- 10 Apr 22:40 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Braga 1 - 1 Moreirense
- 10 Apr 22:31 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Pacos de Ferreira 1 - 0 FC Porto
- 09 Apr 11:59 CHAMPIONS - Pep: Wolfsburg a lesson for Madrid
- 09 Apr 10:56 EURO 2016 - Injury hits Henderson's Euro 2016 hopes
- 08 Apr 12:26 Villarreal 2-1 Sparta Prague - Bakambu double gives hosts advantage
- 08 Apr 11:58 Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool - Liverpool stand firm at Dortmund
- 08 Apr 11:31 Sporting Braga 1-2 Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukrainians have put one foot in the last four
- 07 Apr 11:33 SCOTLAND - Rangers return to elite
- 07 Apr 10:51 Infantino says Cross Trading contract 'properly conducted' by UEFA
- 07 Apr 09:58 UEFA headquarters raided by Swiss police
- 06 Apr 23:17 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Janko renews short-term for FC Basel
- 06 Apr 22:39 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Eyes on Vilhena
- 06 Apr 11:16 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Vidal gives Bayern Munich slender first leg advantage
- 06 Apr 10:03 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Simeone: "I am not saying everything that I want to say"
- 06 Apr 09:24 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Suárez joy at fightback but Atleti not done yet
- 05 Apr 19:35 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Benfica line-ups
- 03 Apr 20:21 Italian football mourns Cesare Maldini
- 02 Apr 10:59 IRELAND - Captain Keane out for up to six weeks
- 31 Mar 22:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Mexico book ticket to the Hex
- 31 Mar 09:58 ENGLAND - Hodgson full of praise for England defenders
- 30 Mar 16:09 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - PORTUGAL 2-1 BELGIUM: Ronaldo sharpens his fangs
- 30 Mar 15:36 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - FRANCE 4-2 RUSSIA: Griezmann turns creator as France overthrow Russia
- 30 Mar 15:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - GERMANY 4-1 ITALY: Germany lay down a marker
- 30 Mar 14:32 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - ENGLAND 1-2 NETHERLANDS: Janssen bursts England's bubble
- 29 Mar 17:56 ENGLAND - Milner: "This is most competitive England squad in my time"
- 28 Mar 20:15 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Snipers in France - Russia
- 28 Mar 14:51 FRANCE - Payet: "There is no discomfort between us"
- 27 Mar 15:07 ENGLAND - Hodgson "It was my best night with England"
- 27 Mar 14:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - 40,000 fans watch Nigeria vs Egypt in 25,000 capacity stadium
- 26 Mar 11:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Luis Suarez bitter Brazil: BRASIL 2 - 2 URUGUAY
- 26 Mar 09:57 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Holland 2 - 3 France honors Cruyff with 14th minute stoppage
- 25 Mar 16:30 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - This Friday's Holland vs France game will be stopped in the 14th minute
- 25 Mar 12:40 ARGENTINA - Messi: "We had to win"
- 24 Mar 12:50 OFFICIAL - Dutch football legend Johan Cruyff dies
- 24 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL: SPAIN v ITALY - Spain bring a real attacking threat
- 24 Mar 10:33 EURO 16 - Don't miss these eleven young promises in Euro 2016
- 23 Mar 20:16 HOLLAND - Ajax keen on Andres Roa
- 23 Mar 19:29 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Long-term contract ready for Schelotto
- 23 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL - Tebas: European Super League would be "failure" on all fronts
- 23 Mar 09:31 BELGIUM - Antonio Muñoz: "There is anxiousness, fear and nobody in the street"
- 23 Mar 09:00 INTERNATIONAL - FIFA launches Germany 2006 probe
- 22 Mar 11:00 BELGIUM cancel training following Brussels attacks
- 20 Mar 22:30 PSV 0 AJAX 2
- 20 Mar 15:15 LA GALAXY - Galaxy win 3-1 but Gerrard departs game after injury
- 18 Mar 22:48 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 22:23 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 21:58 ENGLAND - Today's transfers
- 17 Mar 22:45 SPORTING BRAGA 4 (4) v FENERBAHCE 1 (2)
- 17 Mar 22:30 SEVILLA 3 (3) v BASEL 0 (0)
- 17 Mar 22:20 ANDERLECHT 0 (1) v SHAKHTAR DONETSK 1 (4)
- 17 Mar 22:10 TOTTENHAM 1 (1) v BORUSSIA DORTMUND 2 (5)
- 17 Mar 22:00 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (1) v LIVERPOOL 1 (3)
- 17 Mar 20:12 Lazio 0 (1) v SPARTA PRAGUE 3 (4)
- 17 Mar 20:04 BAYER LEVERKUSEN 0 (0) v VILLARREAL 0 (2)
- 17 Mar 19:56 VALENCIA 2 (2) ATHLETIC BILBAO 2 (2)
- 17 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 16 Mar 21:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Julio Cesar close to renew
- 16 Mar 17:30 Bale may miss Wales warm-up games
- 16 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 15 Mar 13:30 ENGLAND: BOLTON part ways with manager Neil Lennon
- 15 Mar 13:00 Conte to step down following Euro 2016
- 14 Mar 19:00 Eto'o: "Messi is the best. It was him playing with me, not me with him"
- 11 Mar 15:15 CHILE - Sampaoli: "Boca contacted me but wasn't my aspiration"
- 11 Mar 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE / Advantage Dortmund, Villarreal, Athletic, Fenerbahçe & Shakhtar
- 11 Mar 07:46 BENFICA eye Fulham's Moussa Dembele
- 10 Mar 20:58 OFFICIAL - Lokomotiv Plovdiv sign ex Basel's Ivanov
- 10 Mar 16:00 CHAMPIONS / Benfica and PSG join Real Madrid and Wolfsburg
- 09 Mar 18:55 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL / OFFICIAL : French FA documents seized as part of Blatter probe
- 08 Mar 18:00 EXCLUSIVE / The brains behind Football Leaks named
- 28 May 22:37 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL - Real Madrid 1 - 1 Ateltico Madrid - ET
- 28 May 21:45 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL - Real Madrid 1 - 1 Ateltico Madrid - FT
- 28 May 20:43 Champions League Final – Real Madrid 1-0 Atletico Madrid – HT
- 28 May 20:20 Phil Neville links EVERTON's Stones with MAN UTD
- 28 May 19:57 CL FINAL GOAL- RAMOS- Real Madrid 1-0 Atletico Madrid
- 28 May 19:53 CHELSEA - in talks over Pogba
- 28 May 19:31 BAYERN MUNICH- 'Gotze future can wait'
- 28 May 19:01 HULL CITY 1-0 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - Hull return to Premier League
- 28 May 18:49 UCL/FINAL, ATLETICO MADRID vs REAL MADRID - Official Line Ups
- 28 May 18:17 WATFORD - official Miguel Layun leaves for Porto
- 28 May 17:44 BAYERN MUNICH wants to sign Mesut Ozil
- 28 May 17:29 FIORENTINA keen on Bartra
- 28 May 17:11 ATLETICO MADRID set sights on Candreva
- 28 May 16:57 BARCELONA star Sergi Samper to extend
- 28 May 16:44 WATFORD keen on Inter Milan duo
- 28 May 16:30 OFFICIAL - BORO, Woodgate ends his contract
- 28 May 16:15 READING to appoint Jaap Stam
- 28 May 16:01 NEWCASTLE set to move for Championship trio
- 28 May 15:54 Barcellona, Neymar refused Paris Saint Germain's offer
- 28 May 15:46 LIVERPOOL - Klopp wants Vidal
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 15:35 Inter, Galatasaray wants back Felipe Melo in Turkey
- 28 May 15:32 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We must keep our stars"
- 28 May 15:23 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'am dealing with Chinese e for this reason I study Chinese"
- 28 May 15:19 WEST HAM - willing to spend £30m on striker this summer
- 28 May 15:09 Inter-Vilhena, done deal: for the Dutch five-years-contract
- 28 May 15:03 Milan, Negredo could replace Balotelli
- 28 May 15:01 TOTTENHAM top brass scout Janssen
- 28 May 14:55 Juventus target Andre Gomes
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 28 May 14:40 CRYSTAL PALACE - Chamakh to leave?
- 28 May 14:37 Siviglia, target Valencia goalkeeper Alves
- 28 May 14:32 Porto, agreement with Watford for the purchase's outright of Layun
- 28 May 14:17 GALATASARAY - Monitoring Baloteli
- 28 May 14:02 LEICESTER CITY - Ranieri close to new deal
- 28 May 13:45 ARSENAL - Bellarin 'flattered' by Barca interest
- 28 May 13:30 REAL MADRID held talks with Lewandowski
- 28 May 13:15 MANCHESTER UNITED - Raiola: "Ibrahimovic has yet to decide"
- 28 May 12:56 REAL MADRID - Toni Kroos: "No worries over future"
- 28 May 12:43 MANCHESTER UNITED - Juan Mata wants assurance over future
- 28 May 12:28 LIVERPOOL set to move for Vidal
- 28 May 12:14 CHELSEA - Eden Hazard keen to stay
- 28 May 11:58 CRYSTAL PALACE - Keshi Anderson to extend
- 28 May 11:44 NAPOLI to enter talks with Juventus for Neto
- 28 May 11:38 INTER MILAN try to sign Vilhena
- 28 May 11:15 BARCELONA want to "steal" Juventus target Berardi
- 28 May 11:01 BORUSSIA DORTMUND place a £10m bid to sign Guerreiro
- 28 May 10:45 VALENCIA lining up a move for Diawara
- 28 May 10:34 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte to let Oscar go
- 28 May 10:31 BORDEAUX appoint Jocelyn Gourvennec
While his contacts with AC Milan are stalling, Croatian international playmaking and offensive midfielder Mateo Kovacic (22), according to Italian news, is being approached by Juventus management more and more seriously. Italian club have proposed Real Madrid a loan including a h
According to Sky Sport 24 Silvio Berlusconi has spoken about the negotiations for Milan sale with the Chinese group even saying a joke: "I
After having already trained them back in 2003/04, Spanish 61 years old Juande Ramos has been appointed again Malaga manager. Former Dnipro Dnipr
According to Daily Telegraph Claudio Ranieri is close to renewal's contract with Leicester. Italian coach, who won the last edition of the Premier
Lille, according on his official site, has communicated goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama's renewal contract. Nigerian player has signed until 2019.
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Kicker magazine that he has discussed with Mario Gotze his future at the club and told him he needs