EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 19 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Lahm out for three months
- 18 Nov 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic is no longer the NT coach
- 17 Nov 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Nov 08:27 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Ketsbaia is no longer the NT coach
- 15 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rafinha injured
- 14 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna injured
- 12 Nov 07:17 DENMARK/ BRONDBY, Agger injured
- 11 Nov 14:14 DENMARK, Jorgensen quits football: "Proud of my career"
- 11 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus injured
- 10 Nov 19:00 ITALY, Conte: "Balotelli not different "
- 10 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Insigne injured
- 08 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alaba underwent surgery
- 06 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND, Hodgson explains Saido Berahino England squad call up
- 06 Nov 07:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Alcaraz injured
- 05 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi out for 5 months
- 04 Nov 10:30 PREVIEW: Arsenal v Anderlecht: Possible lineups
- 04 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Draxler injured
- 03 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels injured
- 01 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Iborra injured
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "I’m better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 20 Nov 21:00 AC MILAN, Abbiati: "The best goal in the derby? In my opinion Shevchenko’s in the second leg of the Champions"
- 20 Nov 20:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Surgery a success for Lahm
- 20 Nov 20:31 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Montoya away in January
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 19:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Shaqiri's middleman: "Previous contacts with AS Roma. Meeting in December for deciding on him"
- 20 Nov 19:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Working on keeping Lampard until June
- 20 Nov 19:15 ITALY/ CHIEVO VERONA, Eyes on Keseru
- 20 Nov 19:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Renewal offer to Schneiderlin for facing Gunners and Spurs
- 20 Nov 18:45 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on Forren
- 20 Nov 18:30 ARSENAL & EVERTON, Rivals for signing Mings increasing
- 20 Nov 18:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Insisting on Giovinco
- 20 Nov 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back on Cerci: duel to Inter
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 17:30 BARCELONA FC & CHELSEA, Duel to Italian clubs on Dragovic
- 20 Nov 17:15 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Willing to sign Hilbert
- 20 Nov 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Cech in Wenger's wishlist
- 20 Nov 16:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, 5 million pounds needed for getting Origi back from Lille
- 20 Nov 16:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, From Portugal: 30 million euros ready for purchasing Enzo Perez
- 20 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Gunners move was the right decision"
- 20 Nov 15:59 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Pizzarro: "I hope to wear the jersey again next season"
- 20 Nov 15:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Approaching Sbrissa
- 20 Nov 15:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Brand new duel to Spanish titans for Cuadrado
- 20 Nov 15:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Giroud and Mikel Arteta passed fit to face Manchester United
- 20 Nov 14:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL - ARSENAL: Dobson signs professional contract
- 20 Nov 14:58 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Freiburg: Sorg extends until 2016
- 20 Nov 14:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Plan for signing Okaka
- 20 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Clyne between renewal and Liverpool courtship
- 20 Nov 13:27 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Yamberé about to be signed
- 20 Nov 12:57 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Closing in on Husbauer
- 20 Nov 12:29 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Eyes on Bruno Peres
- 20 Nov 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Adama Traoré extends for Barcelona FC
- 20 Nov 11:30 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Khedira could leave
- 20 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Lead on Gutierrez
- 20 Nov 10:40 FRANCE/ LORIENT, Eyes on Cheyrou
- 20 Nov 10:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Also Milan after Okaka
- 20 Nov 09:57 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Eyes on Orban
- 20 Nov 09:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Mission for Dragovic
- 20 Nov 09:19 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Cicinho towards Elche
- 20 Nov 09:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Real after Cuadrado
- 20 Nov 08:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Keen on Quintero
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 20 Nov 07:27 SAINT-ETIENNE, Lemoine: "Ready to renew"
- 20 Nov 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Dominguez: "I don't want to leave"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 20 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to renew"
- 20 Nov 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I could stay for 10 years"
- 19 Nov 23:27 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Chance for Suarez
- 19 Nov 22:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Auction for Ciani
- 19 Nov 22:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Adama Traoré renews with Barcelona
Christian Abbiati spoke exclusively to the Milan Channel earlier today. His first comments were naturally about this Sunday’s derby: "It will be a great match, not easy, but a great match. We’ve felt the pressure a bit more this week. Last week we didn’t ha
Christian Abbiati spoke exclusively to the Milan Channel earlier today. His first comments were naturally about this Sunday’s derby: "It wi
Interviewed by Radio Nacional de Espana, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I would like to remain here with a new contract. At the
The 30-year-old spent four years in north London during his first spell at the club before rejoining at the start of last season.
Interviewed by TMW, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is upset because of his injury, he has come to wa
Interviewed by Express, Borussia Moenchengladbach center back Alvaro Dominguez has declared: "I have no intention to leave Borussia, the news tha