EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news News
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
- 09 Aug 11:05 VIDEO - Play of the day: Rodriguez shows class is permanent with sensational lob
- 21 Aug 13:05 ARSENAL willing to stop Chelsea from signing OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN: extension offered
- 21 Aug 12:21 VALENCIA - Garay turns Spartak Moscow down, and waits for Juventus
- 21 Aug 11:38 INTER MILAN - Joao CANCELO undergoing medical today
- 21 Aug 10:56 FENERBAHCE - Van Der Wiel leaving for Italy after just one season
- 21 Aug 10:22 CRYSTAL PALACE - A Serie A giant pursuing CABAYE
- 21 Aug 09:58 ARSENAL loaning JENKINSON and BRAMALL out to Birmingham
- 21 Aug 09:44 PSG offer Inter Milan KRYCHOWIAK
- 21 Aug 09:07 LAZIO - Suggestion for Swiss all-rounder ZIEGLER
- 21 Aug 08:40 WEST HAM closing in on William CARVALHO
- 21 Aug 08:12 CHELSEA enquire Tottenham about ALDERWEIRELD
- 21 Aug 00:37 MANCHESTER CITY board deny tracking Leo MESSI
- 21 Aug 00:04 ARSENAL to submit PSG cash bid for DRAXLER
- 20 Aug 22:18 NEWCASTLE submit Sampdoria cash bid for PRAET
- 20 Aug 20:52 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juventus, a Serie A side and a PL one battling for STURARO
- 20 Aug 19:04 GENOA approaching Newcastle full-back Achraf LAZAAR
- 20 Aug 17:49 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter Milan boss Spalletti wants SUSO from city rivals
- 20 Aug 16:31 REAL MADRID offer BENZEMA a 2-year long extension
- 20 Aug 14:16 ARSENAL in talks with Inter Milan on BROZOVIC
- 20 Aug 10:53 BORDEAUX - Diego ROLAN approached by an Argentinian club
- 20 Aug 07:43 BURNLEY approaching Celtic's defender SIMUNOVIC
- 20 Aug 00:04 OFFICIAL - Juventus sign MATUIDI from PSG. All the details
- 19 Aug 21:26 OFFICIAL - West Ham extend deal with club veteran Winston REID
- 19 Aug 18:37 CHELSEA about to bid again for CANDREVA
- 19 Aug 15:55 INTER MILAN agree new deal wit PERISIC, in the end
- 19 Aug 12:07 CHIEVO VERONA challenge Udinese on ZAMPANO
- 19 Aug 08:43 ARSENAL planning a surprise attempt for Ross BARKLEY
- 19 Aug 05:25 JUVENTUS, Sturaro's agent: "A lot of clubs willing to sign him on loan"
- 19 Aug 02:52 BURNLEY enquire Napoli about PAVOLETTI
- 19 Aug 01:22 BREAKING NEWS - Nikola KALINIC to undergo medical for AC Milan
- 19 Aug 01:14 OFFICIAL - Valencia sign MURILLO and GABRIEL PAULISTA
- 19 Aug 00:59 OFFICIAL - Tottenham sign DAVINSON Sanchez
- 19 Aug 00:04 REAL MADRID again on DE GEA: planning a last-minute sensational attempt
- 18 Aug 23:26 RENNES - Duel to Bursaspor on Bologna full-back MBAYE
- 18 Aug 22:43 SPORTING LISBON announcing GABIGOL joining on Monday
- 18 Aug 21:59 CRYSTAL PALACE, De Boer: "We are tracking Leipzig's Oliver BURKE"
- 18 Aug 21:17 CHELSEA back for CEDRIC Soares. Saints turn down Stamford Bridge entrance bid
- 18 Aug 20:33 SHANGHAI SHENHUA fans pushing TEVEZ towards Boca Juniors comeback
- 18 Aug 19:51 OFFICIAL - Girona sign "Larry" KAYODE from Man. City
- 18 Aug 19:11 ARSENAL turn down Inter Milan on MUSTAFI
- 18 Aug 18:30 TOTTENHAM - A new suitor for Kevin WIMMER
- 18 Aug 17:48 WBA turn down Manchester City on Jonny EVANS
- 18 Aug 17:12 HAMBURG turning down Wolfsurg on JATTA
- 18 Aug 16:27 REAL MADRID, Asensio: "PSG? No, thanks, I already am where I want to be"
- 18 Aug 15:44 RB LEIPZIG tracking Leverkusen main man KAMPL
- 18 Aug 15:22 OFFICIAL - Kevin-Prince BOATENG joins Eintracht Frankfurt
- 18 Aug 15:00 WEST HAM in talks with Sporting Lisbon on William CARVALHO
- 18 Aug 14:18 BOURNEMOUTH, Howe: "We like Demarai GRAY, but..."
- 18 Aug 13:35 EVERTON, Koeman: "Diego COSTA joining us? Why not?"
- 18 Aug 12:58 SWANSEA CITY approaching Burnley target CLUCAS
- 18 Aug 12:17 WEST HAM, Bilic on LANZINI: "He is happy here. You can see it from how he smiles"
Playing for Crystal Palace since 2015/16, French international midfielder Yohan Cabaye (31) has been targeted by AC Milan, as a possible market's last days signing, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. Former PSG, Lille, and Newcastle player is currently on a deal with Eagle
According to Italian news, Lazio management, more and more likely to sign Wesley Hoedt over to Southampton, have targeted former Swiss international d
A brand new defensive roster for Valencia: Spanish club announced having signed both Colombian international centre-back Jeison Murillo (25), joining
Playing for Crystal Palace since 2015/16, French international midfielder Yohan Cabaye (31) has been targeted by AC Milan, as a possible market's
Possibly leaving Bordeaux after four seasons and a half, Uruguayan international forward Diego Rolán (24) is being approached by San Loren
According to latest rumours collected by Sport Bild, Hamburg have just turned down Wolfsburg on the latter's attempt to sign Gambian winger/forwar