EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mandžukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 26 Nov 07:57 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Ćurčić is the new NT coach
- 24 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus injured again
- 23 Nov 08:27 ITALY/ ROMA, Torosidis injured
- 22 Nov 07:57 FRANCE/ GUINGAMP, Toivonen recovers
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 19 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Lahm out for three months
- 18 Nov 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic is no longer the NT coach
- 17 Nov 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Nov 08:27 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Ketsbaia is no longer the NT coach
- 15 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rafinha injured
- 14 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna injured
- 12 Nov 07:17 DENMARK/ BRONDBY, Agger injured
- 11 Nov 14:14 DENMARK, Jorgensen quits football: "Proud of my career"
- 11 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus injured
- 10 Nov 19:00 ITALY, Conte: "Balotelli not different "
- 10 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Insigne injured
- 08 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alaba underwent surgery
- 06 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND, Hodgson explains Saido Berahino England squad call up
- 06 Nov 07:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Alcaraz injured
- 05 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi out for 5 months
- 04 Nov 10:30 PREVIEW: Arsenal v Anderlecht: Possible lineups
- 04 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Draxler injured
- 03 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels injured
- 01 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Iborra injured
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "I’m better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 26 Nov 10:40 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, 2 new chances for Salah
- 26 Nov 10:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Another Romagnoli on target
- 26 Nov 09:57 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Marcos Rocha on target
- 26 Nov 09:39 ITALY/ INTER, Lavezzi likely to join
- 26 Nov 09:19 ENGLAND/ QPR, Isla on permanent basis
- 26 Nov 09:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Eyes on Toulalan
- 26 Nov 08:30 ITALY/ INTER, Chance for Podolski
- 26 Nov 07:57 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Ćurčić is the new NT coach
- 26 Nov 07:27 LILLE, Mavuba: "I don't think I will renew"
- 26 Nov 06:59 EINTRACHT, Hubner: "New contracts for Zambrano and Trapp"
- 26 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Bitolo: "Honored by Napoli's interest, but.."
- 26 Nov 00:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 25 Nov 23:27 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti has refused United's offer
- 25 Nov 22:57 ITALY/ AC MILAN, First offer for Brozovic
- 25 Nov 21:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Varane turns out transfer rumors
- 25 Nov 20:17 ITALY/ INTER, Krychowiak farther
- 25 Nov 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Asensio confirmed
- 25 Nov 18:45 ITALY/ UDINESE, Eyes on Egwuekwe
- 25 Nov 18:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Shenton
- 25 Nov 18:15 ITALY/ INTER, Mission for Lavezzi
- 25 Nov 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back for Kovacic
- 25 Nov 17:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sprint for Schär
- 25 Nov 17:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Van Beek on target
- 25 Nov 17:15 ITALY/ INTER, Attempt for Lucas Silva ready
- 25 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, AC MILAN & PSG: Opening on Dani Alves for January
- 25 Nov 16:45 SWITZERLAND/ FC BASEL, Keen on Janjatovic
- 25 Nov 16:30 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Barnetta might get playing in Switzerland
- 25 Nov 16:15 ENGLAND/ QPR, Cvitanich on target
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 25 Nov 15:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Approaching Maloney
- 25 Nov 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Survey on Iñaki Williams
- 25 Nov 15:15 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on young Amavi
- 25 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Approaching Vieirinha
- 25 Nov 14:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Kranjcar willing to stay
- 25 Nov 14:30 BELGIUM/ ANDERLECHT, Eyes on Ferjani Sassi
- 25 Nov 14:16 FC SEVILLE, VALENCIA & TORINO: All back on Pandev
- 25 Nov 13:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL,Podolski: " I like the club, but I don't like the situation"
- 25 Nov 13:45 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Keen on Zahovic
- 25 Nov 13:30 FRANCE/ RENNES, 2 Premier League suitors for Makoun
- 25 Nov 13:14 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Offer for Ilicic
- 25 Nov 13:01 FRANCE/ PSG, Extremely high offer for Di Maria ready
- 25 Nov 12:45 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Always more interested in Chirivella
- 25 Nov 12:33 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Henry could be set for coaching role at Arsenal
- 25 Nov 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini wants Lavezzi
- 25 Nov 12:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart: Huub Stevens is the new coach
- 25 Nov 11:43 ARSENAL, chief Usmanov: "Wenger must admit mistakes"
- 25 Nov 11:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool observe Reus
- 25 Nov 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eye on Schar
- 25 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Bruce confident Hull will bounce back from 3 defeats in a row
- 25 Nov 10:27 ITALY/ PALERMO, Milanovic likely to leave
After a long negotiation, Brazilian international right backwing, midfielder and winger Dani Alves (31) seems to have finally decided not to have his own deal with Barcelona FC extended beyond June 2015, according to El Mundo Deportivo. Playing for Blaugrana since 2008/09 and equ
Interviewed by Radio Toscana, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus 27-year-old attacking midfielder Sebsatian Giovinco, has declared: "Sebastiam
Interviewed by La Provincia, Sevilla 26-year-old winger Victor Vitolo has declared: "Napoli? I am honored by such rumors, as we are talking about
Talking about tomorrow potentially decisive home Champions League game against Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny commented:
Laurent Blanc, Paris Saint-Germain coach has spoken in the press conference of Champions league match.
"What changed for us between the draw in
Bayer Leverkusen 23-year-old midfielder Christoph Kramer, currently on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach, has declared: "I am very happy in M