EURO 2012/ CROATIA, Bilić: "Italy? Our chances in the game are 50-50"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Croatia started UEFA EURO 2012 in fine style, and coach Slaven Bilić told UEFA.com he expected his team to continue in the same vein ahead of their game with Italy in Poznan.
How recent criticism has spurred Croatia on
That is one of the reasons we are strong. It didn't seem to matter that we were ranked in the top ten teams in the world for the last five years, and that we'd won 42 games from 60. We went through a difficult period and if you come through, it just makes you stronger – and we did come through. That is what I keep telling my players: we should enjoy the EURO as we've had a lot of pressure to put up with.
On forward pair Mario Mand×ukić and Nikica Jelavić
I have to say I am impressed by them. It's fascinating how they play together. They combined well and got through a lot of running. They are also good off the pitch too – great friends. It's not easy to mark them because they are strong in the air and on the ground. But, we have other great forwards too: Eduardo and Kalinić. I am really satisfied, but as much as I have been impressed, this is what I expect of them. The important thing to tell them is that they're not under pressure to score goals, then the goals often come ...
On being underdogs against Italy
Over the last two years we are really used to being the favourites, but we are adaptable. Italy are the favourites on paper, while Spain are the favourites to be the top team in the group, but it's only on paper. We are aware it will be a more difficult game than against Ireland, but who the favourites are is irrelevant.
This is the European Championship. OK, maybe Italy are favourites, but it was such a minor factor for us in our preparations and we won't use it as an excuse. We came here with the goal to reach the next stage and for that it's necessary for us to have a good result against Italy.
The tactical challenge Italy pose
I really respect Italy and Mr Prandelli who has changed the team round in the last two years. He changed the style and philosophy, and they play more like Spain now. I take my hat off to them. I wouldn't say they are better than Spain, but their play is very diverse and they are difficult to analyse. But, like any other team, they have their own problems and blind spots and we will try to take advantage.
On going out to win
I think we have some top players, but players who are better when they have the ball than when they don't. We set our aims very high in every match and the Croatian public have high demands from us, expecting victory in every match we play. We will try to control the game, of course defending as a team is a priority, but we love having the ball. I think our chances in the game are 50-50.
Other news Other News
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Sußrez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 10 Jun 12:31 World Cup 2014, Blatter: "Fifa & Qatar corruption claims are racist"
- 10 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND, Wilshere certain Oxlade-Chamberlain has role to play at World Cup
- 10 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Luis Enrique hospitalized
- 07 Jun 09:57 ITALY/ LAZIO, Perea will undergo surgery
- 05 Jun 11:10 ENGLAND, Hodgson takes positives
- 05 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ GENOA, New meeting with the Chinese investors
- 04 Jun 09:17 FRANCE/ OM, Anigo no longer the Sports Director
- 03 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo underwent surgery
- 01 Jun 10:27 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Montolivo injured
- 31 May 09:57 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Puyol is a Barcelona new executive
- 30 May 09:17 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Eriksson injured
- 29 May 09:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Today the decision about the next EL
- 28 May 16:59 HOLLAND, Van der Vaart to miss Brazil
- 28 May 16:51 ARGENTINA, Di Maria: "If we don't win the World Cup, it will be a failure"
- 28 May 09:17 ITALY/ PALERMO, Perinetti intended to leave
- 27 May 16:14 CROATIA, Kranjcar: "I'm really sorry that I will not be able to play in Brazil"
- 27 May 09:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez undergoes surgery
- 26 May 15:44 GHANA, Appiah will stay until 2016
- 25 May 10:27 GHANA/ OFFICIAL, Appiah will train the NT until 2017
- 23 May 18:14 US World Cup squad, Altidore preferred to former captain Landon Donovan
- 23 May 09:17 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Diego Costa recovering
- 22 May 09:00 ITALY/ ROMA, De Sanctis underwent surgery
- 23 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? We'll see"
- 22 Aug 23:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Tremoulinas will join Sevilla
- 22 Aug 23:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, AC Milan's offer for Destro refused
- 22 Aug 22:59 UAE/ AL-WASL, Alfaro could come back
- 22 Aug 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Podolski
- 22 Aug 22:20 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, McLeish is Genk new coach
- 22 Aug 22:00 ITALY/ ROMA, 5 millions for Basa
- 22 Aug 21:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, To˝o quits Elche
- 22 Aug 21:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ninis quits Parma
- 22 Aug 21:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Interest for Ninis
- 22 Aug 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED: Welbeck can leave, but not for joining a Premier League Top 6
- 22 Aug 20:48 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suggestion for Romero
- 22 Aug 20:36 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, N'Diaye joins Real Betis again from Sunderland
- 22 Aug 20:24 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Pinto da Costa freezes AC Milan and AS Roma: "Jackson Martinez doesn't leave"
- 22 Aug 20:12 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for Insigne failed: Napoli reject offer
- 22 Aug 20:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Approaching Federico Fazio
- 22 Aug 19:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Suggestion for Xabi Alonso
- 22 Aug 19:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover 96 sign Briand
- 22 Aug 19:24 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Keen on Rhodes
- 22 Aug 19:12 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Neither Tottenham nor Juventus for Depay: renewal with PSV
- 22 Aug 19:00 BAYERN MUNICH & AS ROMA, Negotiations for Benatia ongoing: no call-up for AEK Athens friendly match
- 22 Aug 18:48 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Durmaz joins Olympiakos
- 22 Aug 18:36 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Lacazette after having signed Cerci
- 22 Aug 18:24 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Doors closed to Juventus on Jovetic
- 22 Aug 18:12 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 2 new rivals towards Stambouli: one tries the offer
- 22 Aug 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Fernando Torres offered to AC Milan
- 22 Aug 17:48 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Aboubakar more and more likely to join
- 22 Aug 17:36 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA sign Samaras
- 22 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, A new Serie A top suitor for Podolski
- 22 Aug 17:07 ITALY/ ATALANTA, 2 Serie A pursuers for Consigli
- 22 Aug 16:52 ITALY/ PARMA, 2 new suitors for Paletta
- 22 Aug 16:33 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Plasil might join Italy back: 2 new suitors
- 22 Aug 16:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I don't speak until he signs"
- 22 Aug 16:08 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Arda Turan: "I'd like to play with Barša "
- 22 Aug 15:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Deportivo: Rudy leaves
- 22 Aug 15:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi: "Di Maria to Barcelona would be difficult"
- 22 Aug 15:14 FRANCE/ LILLE, Wolfsburg interested in Kalou
- 22 Aug 14:59 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin rumour has gone away"
- 22 Aug 14:55 ENGLAND, Rio Ferdinand dreams of managing England NT
- 22 Aug 14:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Besiktas interested in Quintero
- 22 Aug 14:38 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "I am very pleased because Edin renewal"
- 22 Aug 14:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swansea: sign Tom Carroll
- 22 Aug 13:06 HUNGARY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio icon Rocchi joins Haladas
- 22 Aug 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Observing Mitrovic
- 22 Aug 11:46 SPAIN/ BARCELLONA, Neymar in doubt for the first match
- 22 Aug 11:35 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Iturraspe for replace Javi Martinez
- 22 Aug 11:23 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sapunaru quits Elche
- 22 Aug 11:14 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Lead the race to sign Di Maria
- 22 Aug 10:29 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Gustavo Campanharo about to be announced
- 22 Aug 09:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Pirlo: "Balotelli no longer a bad boy "
While Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal has referred to English international forward and winger Danny Welbeck (23) he can leave Red Devils, according to Daily Mirror, the club executives have clarified it can happen just if the player joins any club out of the Premier Lea
Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared: "The transfer market? We'll see with Galliani, we are happy even if Cerci will stay. If there wil
Valencia General Manager Rufete has declared about Benfica midfielder Enzo Perez: "He is a great player, but it's not only up to us. He would
West Bromwich manager Alan Irvine has declared about 29-year-old striker Georgios Samaras, actually a free-agent: "He's a player we're aw
Interviewed by ESPN, PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has declared about the possibility to end his career at the French club: "I have a contract u
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr