HOME CONTACT US| RSS
      
News

EURO 2012/ UEFA, Investigates banana claims

15.06.2012 17.35 by Transfer Market Web  read 1312
Source: Skysports.com
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport

UEFA is 'looking into' claims a banana was thrown on to the pitch during Italy's Euro 2012 game against Croatia on Thursday.

A photographer was reported to have witnessed a steward retrieving a banana in the 1-1 Group C draw in Poznan as well as hearing monkey chants directed at Italy striker Mario Balotelli.
European football's governing body confirmed it was aware of the claims, saying: "We are looking into the reports."

If Thursday's alleged banana-throwing incident was intended as an insult towards Balotelli, it would arguably represent the most serious bout of racism at a tournament that has been dogged by the problem.

Balotelli said before Euro 2012 that he would "kill" anyone who threw a banana at him in the street and would "not accept racism at all".

Allegations

UEFA is already probing allegations of racist abuse against the Manchester City striker in Italy's opening match against Spain on Sunday.

On Monday, Italy boss Cesare Prandelli rejected claims Balotelli was abused against Spain, saying: "That's absolutely untrue."

Balotelli, 21, said he would walk off the pitch if he was racially abused by fans at Euro 2012.

UEFA is also looking into allegations Czech Republic defender Theodor Gebre Selassie was subjected to monkey chants during his side's Group A opener against Russia last Friday.

Holland players claimed they heard racist chanting during an open training session in Krakow before the tournament even began.

Other news News
Other news
Highlight

NAPOLI - Mertens waiting De Laurentiis for the renewal until 2021

Mertens' representative had a meeting with Napoli sport director, Cristiano Giuntoli, in order to talk about the contract renewal. The agreement should be until 2021 with a wage increase about €3m plus bonuses tied to results. They are waiting for De Laurentiis answer, b

AC MILAN, Mati FERNANDEZ's agent: "He'll be playing more. Moving to China? We'll see"

Asked by Sky Sport about the future of Chilean international midfielder/winger Mati Fernandez (30), who joined AC Milan last summer, and, so far, has
 

OFFICIAL - MALAGA extend deal with RECIO

Malaga announced having extended their deal with Spanish midfielder José Luis García del Pozo, known as Recio (26), until June 2021
 

ARSENAL - Nasri defends Wenger: "I came to the Premier League because of him"

Former Arsenal player Samir Nasri has come to the defence of under-fire boss Arsene Wenger, saying it is "impossible to criticise him". H
 

AS MONACO - 2 Premier League top suitors for LEMAR

Previously linked to Bayern Munich, Juventus, and AS Roma interest, French international midfielder/winger Thomas Lemar (21), according to L'Equip
 

OFFICIAL - HOFFENHEIM sign DEMIRBAY on new contract

Playing for Hoffenheim since last summer, German-Turkish attacking midfielder Kerem Demirbay (23) had his contract with Bundesliga side offi
 
   Editore: TC&C srl web content publisher since 1994 Partita IVA 01488100510