EURO 2012/ ITALY, Prandelli: "I wasn't surprised by tonight"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was delighted after his side won the "lottery" of penalties against England, though admitted he was never unduly concerned during the 4-2 shoot-out victory.
"I wasn't surprised by tonight. I knew we could control the game. My worry was that we were allowing England too much space on the break – we could have been a bit cleverer in our build-up play. We tried to play football. We tried to draw England out; we tried to hit them quickly. I think if we'd scored in the 90 minutes it would have been an even better game.
Penalties are a lottery but I thought we deserved victory in the end. When [Riccardo] Montolivo missed his penalty I was sad as he was one of the best players tonight. I was watching with my arm around my son and I told him he was lucky he didn't have to buy a ticket. When Andrea Pirlo stepped up I was very calm – he's a star and knew what he needed to do; and he did it.
Around 80% of penalty shoot-outs go down to luck. Some players are used to this kind of pressure, some are just calm in these situations – but mainly it's down to good fortune.
President Napolitano called us to congratulate us and that was special. We are delighted but we have to get ready for Germany now. They have had two more days' rest. If we have the same approach, the same desire, I think we can compete.
Germany and Spain are favourites here. We'll need everyone fit and fresh; we're going to go for it. They're always attacking games against Germany. Germany are a great side – they made changes against Greece and it made no difference. The game here hasn't long ended and we want to get our players fit – we just want to go home and get to bed to be honest".
Other news Other News
- 23 Sep 07:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" I’m chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 01 Aug 17:47 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Ural: arrive Ivan Chudin and Yaroshenko
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
- 30 Jul 17:45 OFFICIAL/ HONDURAS,Medford the new NT coach
- 30 Jul 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Sabella is no longer the NT coach
- 29 Jul 07:17 SERBIA/ OFFICIAL, Advocaat is the new NT coach
- 28 Jul 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Roncaglia injured
- 27 Jul 08:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus recovering
- 26 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is the new NT coach
- 25 Jul 09:17 COSTA RICA/ OFFICIAL, Pinto is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jul 09:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 23 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 22 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Morata injured
- 21 Jul 16:31 BRAZIL, Neymar: "I think Brazilian football is behind"
- 21 Jul 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Subotic has recovered
- 20 Jul 10:27 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL Can injured
- 19 Jul 09:57 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Lahm quits the NT
- 18 Jul 09:17 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Carrick injured
- 16 Jul 09:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Peters is Hamburg new Sports Director
- 14 Jul 09:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Lucas injured
- 13 Jul 10:27 ARGENTINA, Martino the new NT coach?
- 11 Jul 09:57 GREECE/ NT, Ranieri about to coach
- 10 Jul 09:57 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic will still be the NT coach
- 08 Jul 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is no longer Chievo Sports Director
- 07 Jul 10:27 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Halilhodzic is no longer the NT coach
- 04 Jul 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Mirabelli is Inter new Chief scout
- 03 Jul 18:05 FIFA,Luis Suárez free to undertake a medical for any transfer
- 03 Jul 09:17 SERBIA/ NT, Offer to Zenga
- 28 Jun 09:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER, Hoffmann injured
- 26 Jun 10:16 SPAIN, Del Bosque until 2016
- 26 Jun 09:17 JAPAN/ OFFICIAL, Zaccheroni is no longer the NT coach
- 25 Jun 19:16 BRAZIL 2014/ GERMANY, Ballack: "Ozil must force 'magic' World Cup moment"
- 25 Jun 18:44 URUGUAY, Scholes: "Suarez an embarrassment and should be banned"
- 25 Jun 14:15 BRAZIL 204/ URUGUAY, Lugano: "Chiellini, I never believed an Italian player could be such a coward off the pitch"
- 25 Jun 09:17 IVORY COAST/ OFFICIAL, Lamouchi is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 21:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Prandelli is no longer the NT coach
- 24 Jun 09:17 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Villa quits the NT
- 23 Jun 19:44 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTO, Ronaldo insists he is giving his all for his country
- 22 Jun 10:30 SPAIN/ NT, Del Bosque until 2016
- 21 Jun 09:57 BAYERN, Rybery: "I am not undergoing surgery"
- 20 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery may need surgery
- 19 Jun 21:45 BRAZIL 2014, Maradona: "Neymar failed to live up to his billing"
- 19 Jun 20:30 BRAZIL 2014/ PORTUGAL, One-match ban for Pepe
- 19 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Gundogan underwent surgery
- 18 Jun 14:30 BRAZIL 2014/ USA, Klinsmann full of hope for Altidore return
- 18 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Causarano is Juventus new first-team doctor
- 17 Jun 11:30 BRAZIL 2014/ GHANA, Gyan: "We can still qualify"
- 17 Jun 09:17 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Ozbiliz underwent surgery
- 16 Jun 18:34 GERMANY, Podolski aiming to win the World Cup
- 16 Jun 09:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Perinetti the new Sports Director
- 14 Jun 09:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bentley retires
- 13 Jun 09:00 WORLD CUP/ GROUPE 1, Brazil-Croatia 3-1
- 12 Jun 17:45 UEFA, Platini ends support for Sepp Blatter
- 12 Jun 16:51 USA, Klinsmann: "USA must make Ronaldo miserable"
- 12 Jun 09:17 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Beiersdorfer is Hamburg new CEO
- 11 Jun 20:00 ARGENTINA, Maradona: "Neymar too young to dominate World Cup"
- 11 Jun 11:44 PORTUGAL, Ronaldo: "I'll be 100 per cent fit for World Cup"
- 11 Jun 09:45 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Giulini is Cagliari new owner
- 11 Jun 09:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for three months
- 23 Sep 12:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Scouting Zappacosta
- 23 Sep 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Diaby: "He's a giant, mentally. I believe in him, justice should reserve him a better future"
- 23 Sep 11:45 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Aquilani and Neto's renewals on arrival
- 23 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ SAINT-ETIENNE, Ruffier about to renew
- 23 Sep 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Pallotta freezes United and PSG: "Strootman is not for sale"
- 23 Sep 10:59 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Keen on Krhin
- 23 Sep 10:39 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Eyes on Timo Werner
- 23 Sep 10:20 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Renewal offered to Carvalho: Arsenal and United awaiting
- 23 Sep 10:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Trying again to sign Barkley
- 23 Sep 09:40 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Back tracking Ramires
- 23 Sep 09:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Suggestion for Portanova
- 23 Sep 08:57 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Vazquez's agent: "We are dealing with Palermo on the renewal"
- 23 Sep 08:29 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Morrison about to be loaned out to Cardiff
- 23 Sep 07:59 RUSSIA/ CSKA MOSCOW, New attempt for Cigarini ready
- 23 Sep 07:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Keogh extends for Derby County
- 23 Sep 07:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 23 Sep 06:45 OM, Bielsa: "I don't like to make long-term projects"
- 23 Sep 06:30 STUTTGART, Bobic: "Veh is our future"
- 23 Sep 06:15 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Arsenal didn't want me"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 20:59 ITALY/ INTER, Carrizzo's future uncertain
- 22 Sep 20:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sprint for Khedira
- 22 Sep 20:20 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Paraschos quits Atromitos
- 22 Sep 20:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Eyes on Chirivella
- 22 Sep 19:45 QATAR/ OFFICIAL, Lotina quits Al-Shahaniya
- 22 Sep 19:30 COLOMBIA/ ALIANZA, Two Italian clubs after Ariza
- 22 Sep 19:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Onazi renews with Lazio
- 22 Sep 19:00 UKRAINE/ DNIPRO, Also Fiorentina after Konoplyanka
- 22 Sep 18:45 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Working to extend Martins' deal
- 22 Sep 18:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Auction for El Haddadi
- 22 Sep 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He succeeded in giving a better performance also thanks to the rest of the squad"
- 22 Sep 13:15 FRANCE/ O.M., A new suitor for Imbula
- 22 Sep 13:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Now Fellaini might be the key for having Strootman join in
- 22 Sep 12:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for De Laet ready
- 22 Sep 12:30 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Meeting on De Sanctis's renewal soon
- 22 Sep 12:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on an African front-line talent
- 22 Sep 12:00 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Bryan Ruiz on target
- 22 Sep 11:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, 2 Italian Serie A loan suitors for Januzaj
- 22 Sep 11:30 ARSENAL & CHELSEA, Plans for signing Mings
- 22 Sep 11:15 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Not done tracking Zoet
- 22 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ LEICESTER CITY, Reopening on Rod Fanni
- 22 Sep 10:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH: Duel to Arsenal, Reds and City on Dele Alli
- 22 Sep 10:30 MLS - CANADA/ TORONTO FC, 2 Premier League sides keen on Defoe
- 22 Sep 10:15 ITALY/ INTER, Planning move for Konoplyanka
- 22 Sep 10:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Mignolet disappointing for Rodgers: Victor Valdes still on target
- 22 Sep 09:45 BELGIUM/ STANDARD LIEGE, Eyes on Nimaga
- 22 Sep 09:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Duel to Torino on Pazienza
- 22 Sep 09:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Newcastle want Carroll back
- 22 Sep 09:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after Villa success: "We gave the response people and ourselves were all expecting"
- 22 Sep 08:37 GERMANY/ HERTHA BERLIN, Eyes on Lasse Vibe
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger talked about the return of French half-back Abou Diaby into the squad, for Premier League Matchday 6 home game against Southampton: “He's a giant, mentally. To do what he has done, with the severe injuries he has had…he comes
One of the most valuable players in AC Milan-Juventus 0-1 Serie A Matchday 3 main game, decided by a goal scored by Carlitos Tevez, Bianconeri versati
Sevilla FC coach Unai Emery has declared: "In my teams it will be always the best players to start. The club doesn't force me to do anything,
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger talked about the return of French half-back Abou Diaby into the squad, for Premier League Matchday 6 home game ag
OM coach Marcelo Bielsa has declared: "I don't like to make long-term projects: for this reason I have signed a one-year-deal, just one, no o
Unsatisfied with the 0-0 obtained at Hamburg, Bayern Munich manager Josep Guardiola stated: “Getting into the match was never going to be easy a