EURO 2012/ ITALY, Prandelli: "I wasn't surprised by tonight"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was delighted after his side won the "lottery" of penalties against England, though admitted he was never unduly concerned during the 4-2 shoot-out victory.
"I wasn't surprised by tonight. I knew we could control the game. My worry was that we were allowing England too much space on the break – we could have been a bit cleverer in our build-up play. We tried to play football. We tried to draw England out; we tried to hit them quickly. I think if we'd scored in the 90 minutes it would have been an even better game.
Penalties are a lottery but I thought we deserved victory in the end. When [Riccardo] Montolivo missed his penalty I was sad as he was one of the best players tonight. I was watching with my arm around my son and I told him he was lucky he didn't have to buy a ticket. When Andrea Pirlo stepped up I was very calm – he's a star and knew what he needed to do; and he did it.
Around 80% of penalty shoot-outs go down to luck. Some players are used to this kind of pressure, some are just calm in these situations – but mainly it's down to good fortune.
President Napolitano called us to congratulate us and that was special. We are delighted but we have to get ready for Germany now. They have had two more days' rest. If we have the same approach, the same desire, I think we can compete.
Germany and Spain are favourites here. We'll need everyone fit and fresh; we're going to go for it. They're always attacking games against Germany. Germany are a great side – they made changes against Greece and it made no difference. The game here hasn't long ended and we want to get our players fit – we just want to go home and get to bed to be honest".
Other news Other News
- 30 May 22:21 OFFICIAL: Lokomotiv Moscow, no contract's renewal for Sheshukov and Grigoriev
- 30 May 21:46 OFFICIAL: Levante, contract's renewal for Remeseiro and Martin
- 30 May 21:43 OFFICIAL: Estoril, Fabiano Soares coach confirmed
- 25 May 21:33 OFFICIAL: Young Boys, Wuthrich's renewal until 2020
- 23 May 18:26 Celtic, Rodgers: "This club is an institution. I'm excited"
- 20 May 15:55 OFFICIAL: Funfstuck will not be Kaiserslautern coach
- 19 May 17:45 LAZIO, Tare in Portugal to sign Jardel
- 18 May 21:20 England: Hart: "We can win EURO 2016"
- 17 May 21:35 Fiorentina, Astori's ag. "He likes Florence, ok with Gonzalo Rodriguez"
- 15 May 11:16 GLASGOW RANGERS set to close deal for Joey Barton
- 10 May 09:30 RANGERS set to sign Liverpool youngster
- 07 May 20:28 CHARLTON - Jose Riga has left his role
- 06 May 11:49 CHARLTON - Lookman to leave The Valley
- 04 May 12:20 DUNDEE - Paatelainen to leave after relegation
- 30 Apr 09:19 BENFICA: Jardel: "Great supporters, important victory"
- 27 Apr 13:17 GLASGOW RANGERS - Target Hollooway
- 26 Apr 14:02 DINAMO KYIV - Veloso: "I want to leave"
- 25 Apr 11:30 UCL/ MAN CITY v REAL MADRID - Zidane takes the entire squad to Manchester
- 23 Apr 12:09 BENFICA, Talisca to China?
- 23 Apr 07:51 AJAX- Milik ready to leave
- 22 Apr 09:11 ANDERLECHT - Proto could leave
- 17 Apr 17:57 MLS - Drogba opens 2016 season with sublime backheel
- 15 Apr 18:32 CHAMPIONS - Another Madrid final still possible
- 15 Apr 17:52 EURO 16 - Coentrao set to miss Euros
- 15 Apr 16:57 CHAMPIONS - Pellegrini returns to the Bernabeu
- 14 Apr 18:05 BARCELONA - Messi playing with muscle problems
- 13 Apr 12:26 UCL / Atletico v Barcelona: There can only be on
- 12 Apr 21:47 UCL / Manchester City 1-0 Paris Saint-Germain (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 UCL / REAL MADRID 3-0 WOLFSBURG (score)
- 12 Apr 21:44 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Results
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / MAN.CITY 0 - 0 PSG (first time)
- 12 Apr 20:35 UCL / R.MADRID 2 - 0 WOLFSBURG (first time)
- 11 Apr 13:18 CHAMPIONS - Zinedine Zidane faces most crucial week of his career as Real Madrid coach
- 10 Apr 22:45 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Nacional 4 - 1 Estoril
- 10 Apr 22:40 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Braga 1 - 1 Moreirense
- 10 Apr 22:31 PRIMEIRA LIGA - Full time: Pacos de Ferreira 1 - 0 FC Porto
- 09 Apr 11:59 CHAMPIONS - Pep: Wolfsburg a lesson for Madrid
- 09 Apr 10:56 EURO 2016 - Injury hits Henderson's Euro 2016 hopes
- 08 Apr 12:26 Villarreal 2-1 Sparta Prague - Bakambu double gives hosts advantage
- 08 Apr 11:58 Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool - Liverpool stand firm at Dortmund
- 08 Apr 11:31 Sporting Braga 1-2 Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukrainians have put one foot in the last four
- 07 Apr 11:33 SCOTLAND - Rangers return to elite
- 07 Apr 10:51 Infantino says Cross Trading contract 'properly conducted' by UEFA
- 07 Apr 09:58 UEFA headquarters raided by Swiss police
- 06 Apr 23:17 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Janko renews short-term for FC Basel
- 06 Apr 22:39 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Eyes on Vilhena
- 06 Apr 11:16 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Vidal gives Bayern Munich slender first leg advantage
- 06 Apr 10:03 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Simeone: "I am not saying everything that I want to say"
- 06 Apr 09:24 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Suárez joy at fightback but Atleti not done yet
- 05 Apr 19:35 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Benfica line-ups
- 03 Apr 20:21 Italian football mourns Cesare Maldini
- 02 Apr 10:59 IRELAND - Captain Keane out for up to six weeks
- 31 Mar 22:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Mexico book ticket to the Hex
- 31 Mar 09:58 ENGLAND - Hodgson full of praise for England defenders
- 30 Mar 16:09 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - PORTUGAL 2-1 BELGIUM: Ronaldo sharpens his fangs
- 30 Mar 15:36 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - FRANCE 4-2 RUSSIA: Griezmann turns creator as France overthrow Russia
- 30 Mar 15:05 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - GERMANY 4-1 ITALY: Germany lay down a marker
- 30 Mar 14:32 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - ENGLAND 1-2 NETHERLANDS: Janssen bursts England's bubble
- 29 Mar 17:56 ENGLAND - Milner: "This is most competitive England squad in my time"
- 28 Mar 20:15 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Snipers in France - Russia
- 28 Mar 14:51 FRANCE - Payet: "There is no discomfort between us"
- 27 Mar 15:07 ENGLAND - Hodgson "It was my best night with England"
- 27 Mar 14:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - 40,000 fans watch Nigeria vs Egypt in 25,000 capacity stadium
- 26 Mar 11:03 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Luis Suarez bitter Brazil: BRASIL 2 - 2 URUGUAY
- 26 Mar 09:57 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - Holland 2 - 3 France honors Cruyff with 14th minute stoppage
- 25 Mar 16:30 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL - This Friday's Holland vs France game will be stopped in the 14th minute
- 25 Mar 12:40 ARGENTINA - Messi: "We had to win"
- 24 Mar 12:50 OFFICIAL - Dutch football legend Johan Cruyff dies
- 24 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL: SPAIN v ITALY - Spain bring a real attacking threat
- 24 Mar 10:33 EURO 16 - Don't miss these eleven young promises in Euro 2016
- 23 Mar 20:16 HOLLAND - Ajax keen on Andres Roa
- 23 Mar 19:29 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Long-term contract ready for Schelotto
- 23 Mar 11:00 INTERNATIONAL - Tebas: European Super League would be "failure" on all fronts
- 23 Mar 09:31 BELGIUM - Antonio Muñoz: "There is anxiousness, fear and nobody in the street"
- 23 Mar 09:00 INTERNATIONAL - FIFA launches Germany 2006 probe
- 22 Mar 11:00 BELGIUM cancel training following Brussels attacks
- 20 Mar 22:30 PSV 0 AJAX 2
- 20 Mar 15:15 LA GALAXY - Galaxy win 3-1 but Gerrard departs game after injury
- 18 Mar 22:48 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 22:23 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - The Draws
- 18 Mar 21:58 ENGLAND - Today's transfers
- 17 Mar 22:45 SPORTING BRAGA 4 (4) v FENERBAHCE 1 (2)
- 17 Mar 22:30 SEVILLA 3 (3) v BASEL 0 (0)
- 17 Mar 22:20 ANDERLECHT 0 (1) v SHAKHTAR DONETSK 1 (4)
- 17 Mar 22:10 TOTTENHAM 1 (1) v BORUSSIA DORTMUND 2 (5)
- 17 Mar 22:00 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 (1) v LIVERPOOL 1 (3)
- 17 Mar 20:12 Lazio 0 (1) v SPARTA PRAGUE 3 (4)
- 17 Mar 20:04 BAYER LEVERKUSEN 0 (0) v VILLARREAL 0 (2)
- 17 Mar 19:56 VALENCIA 2 (2) ATHLETIC BILBAO 2 (2)
- 17 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 16 Mar 21:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Julio Cesar close to renew
- 16 Mar 17:30 Bale may miss Wales warm-up games
- 16 Mar 11:00 PORTUGAL - Porto offer Casillas a new one-year deal
- 15 Mar 13:30 ENGLAND: BOLTON part ways with manager Neil Lennon
- 15 Mar 13:00 Conte to step down following Euro 2016
- 14 Mar 19:00 Eto'o: "Messi is the best. It was him playing with me, not me with him"
- 11 Mar 15:15 CHILE - Sampaoli: "Boca contacted me but wasn't my aspiration"
- 11 Mar 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE / Advantage Dortmund, Villarreal, Athletic, Fenerbahçe & Shakhtar
- 11 Mar 07:46 BENFICA eye Fulham's Moussa Dembele
- 10 Mar 20:58 OFFICIAL - Lokomotiv Plovdiv sign ex Basel's Ivanov
- 31 May 20:30 BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Closing in on Toprak
- 31 May 20:15 SUNDERLAND, Glasgow duel for Graham
- 31 May 20:00 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Dynamo Kyiv sign Hromov
- 31 May 19:45 MONCHENGLADBACH, Closing on PSG youngster Doucouré
- 31 May 19:30 BREAKING NEWS - REAL MADRID offer €50m to BAYERN MUNICH for Alaba
- 31 May 19:16 OFFICIAL - Escalante extends his deal with EIBAR
- 31 May 19:03 ATLETICO keen on SASSUOLO right back VRSALJKO
- 31 May 18:51 WATFORD, Mazzarri wants to reunite with Christian Maggio
- 31 May 18:37 INTER - Handanovic can leave also after contract extension
- 31 May 18:29 EURO 2016 - FRANCE 23 men squad
- 31 May 17:45 ENGLAND - Drinkwater reaction after being left out of EURO 2016 England squad
- 31 May 17:27 EURO 2016 - GERMANY squad: REUS out
- 31 May 16:58 ENGLAND 23 men squad, Drinkwater out, Rashford in
- 31 May 16:36 MANCHESTER CITY - Bony could return to Swansea
- 31 May 16:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone wants Diego Costa back to Calderón
- 31 May 15:45 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Santos sign Rodrigão
- 31 May 15:30 JUVENTUS, Decision made on Berardi: hireback shall be
- 31 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM, Duel to Wolfsburg on Embolo in the viewfinder
- 31 May 15:07 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, £ 16 million ready for bringing Bony back home
- 31 May 14:52 ITALY/ GENOA, Laxalt will be hired back from Inter
- 31 May 14:36 AS ROMA, Looking for a price-cut from PSG on Digne
- 31 May 14:32 MANCHESTER UNITED, Blind and Mata will be victims of Mourinho's arrival
- 31 May 14:23 GERMANY - Ozil: "Really excited for the tournament"
- 31 May 14:12 BREAKING NEWS - CRYSTAL PALACE, Final move for Babacar
- 31 May 14:00 SUNDERLAND, £10m move for Sakho
- 31 May 13:49 SPAIN - Bellerin in 23-man squad
- 31 May 13:33 CHELSEA, Pato will leave but he says he does not regret his short loan
- 31 May 13:25 Southampton, to rescue Calum Chambers from Arsenal nightmare
- 31 May 13:16 MANCHESTER UNITED, Giggs will meet with Mourinho to determine the future
- 31 May 13:06 Ibrahimovic hints at Malmo return
- 31 May 12:53 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick has signed a new one-year contract
- 31 May 12:39 FRANCE - Deschamps: "Giroud boo's unfair"
- 31 May 12:23 LEICESTER CITY, Suggestion for Wanyama
- 31 May 12:08 JUVENTUS striker Morata tempted by Real Madrid and Premier League bids
- 31 May 11:58 SOUTHAMPTON willing to bring Chambers back
- 31 May 11:44 MANCHESTER UNITED boss Mourinho ready to sell duo
- 31 May 11:39 MANCHESTER CITY - Bony return
- 31 May 11:38 PORTO sack Jose Peseiro after 4 months
- 31 May 11:22 WEST HAM - Oxford won't move
- 31 May 11:09 SUNDERLAND manager Allardyce ready to persuade Sakho
- 31 May 10:53 SOUTHAMPTON willing to extend Long deal
- 31 May 10:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Schelotto about to renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 31 May 10:42 MANCHESTER UNITED star Carrick signs a new deal
- 31 May 10:28 CHELSEA manager Conte wants Lichtsteiner
- 31 May 10:17 JUVENTUS, Morata: "My wish is to succeed in Madrid, but Premier would be a great destination"
- 31 May 10:11 REAL MADRID keeper Navas set to miss Copa America
- 31 May 09:55 FIORENTINA centre-back Astori won't be selected
- 31 May 09:39 MANCHESTER UNITED manager Mourinho starts his experience
- 31 May 09:21 BAYERN MUNICH - Gotze willing to stay despite rumors
- 31 May 09:02 ROMA made Antonio Rudiger deal permanent
According to news coming from German media, Real Madrid have just submitted Bayern Munich a € 50m offer in order to sign Austrian international left- backDavid Alaba (23).
Bavarian titans are reluctant to start the negotiations, but if Alaba would like
According to Sky Sport 24 Silvio Berlusconi has spoken about the negotiations for Milan sale with the Chinese group even saying a joke: "I
Playing for Eibar since last summer, first on loan from Catania, then on a full basis, Argentinian midfielder Gonzalo Escalante (23) had his own
According to Daily Telegraph Claudio Ranieri is close to renewal's contract with Leicester. Italian coach, who won the last edition of the Premier
Paolo De Ceglie was elected Ligue 1 worst player. Juventus winger has gathered the most votes (42%) in the survey launched on RMC frequencies. For him
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Kicker magazine that he has discussed with Mario Gotze his future at the club and told him he needs