EURO 2012/ ITALY, Prandelli: "I wasn't surprised by tonight"
© foto di Daniele Buffa/Image Sport
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli was delighted after his side won the "lottery" of penalties against England, though admitted he was never unduly concerned during the 4-2 shoot-out victory.
"I wasn't surprised by tonight. I knew we could control the game. My worry was that we were allowing England too much space on the break – we could have been a bit cleverer in our build-up play. We tried to play football. We tried to draw England out; we tried to hit them quickly. I think if we'd scored in the 90 minutes it would have been an even better game.
Penalties are a lottery but I thought we deserved victory in the end. When [Riccardo] Montolivo missed his penalty I was sad as he was one of the best players tonight. I was watching with my arm around my son and I told him he was lucky he didn't have to buy a ticket. When Andrea Pirlo stepped up I was very calm – he's a star and knew what he needed to do; and he did it.
Around 80% of penalty shoot-outs go down to luck. Some players are used to this kind of pressure, some are just calm in these situations – but mainly it's down to good fortune.
President Napolitano called us to congratulate us and that was special. We are delighted but we have to get ready for Germany now. They have had two more days' rest. If we have the same approach, the same desire, I think we can compete.
Germany and Spain are favourites here. We'll need everyone fit and fresh; we're going to go for it. They're always attacking games against Germany. Germany are a great side – they made changes against Greece and it made no difference. The game here hasn't long ended and we want to get our players fit – we just want to go home and get to bed to be honest".
Other news Other News
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 20 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Miranda out for three weeks
- 19 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Lahm out for three months
- 18 Nov 07:17 BOSNIA/ OFFICIAL, Susic is no longer the NT coach
- 17 Nov 07:57 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Ranieri is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Nov 08:27 GEORGIA/ OFFICIAL, Ketsbaia is no longer the NT coach
- 15 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rafinha injured
- 14 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna injured
- 12 Nov 07:17 DENMARK/ BRONDBY, Agger injured
- 11 Nov 14:14 DENMARK, Jorgensen quits football: "Proud of my career"
- 11 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus injured
- 10 Nov 19:00 ITALY, Conte: "Balotelli not different "
- 10 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Insigne injured
- 08 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Alaba underwent surgery
- 06 Nov 16:14 ENGLAND, Hodgson explains Saido Berahino England squad call up
- 06 Nov 07:17 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Alcaraz injured
- 05 Nov 07:17 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi out for 5 months
- 04 Nov 10:30 PREVIEW: Arsenal v Anderlecht: Possible lineups
- 04 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE, Draxler injured
- 03 Nov 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Hummels injured
- 01 Nov 07:57 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Iborra injured
- 31 Oct 08:30 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Parejo injured
- 30 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zuniga may need surgery
- 28 Oct 12:09 Menís shortlists for FIFA Ballon díOr 2014 revealed
- 28 Oct 08:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Fernandez injured
- 27 Oct 10:57 Orlando Pirates announce South African NT goalie Senzo Meyiwa's decease in gunfire
- 24 Oct 20:00 ENGLAND, Ferdinand: "I'm not fearful of retirement"
- 24 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila injured
- 23 Oct 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibra may need surgery
- 22 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Rogg is Fiorentina new General Manager
- 21 Oct 07:57 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Starke injured
- 20 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Viviano injured
- 19 Oct 08:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere injured
- 17 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ SAO PAULO, Pato injured
- 16 Oct 22:20 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, Piturca is no longer the NT coach
- 16 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ INTER, D'Ambrosio injured
- 15 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ ATHLETIC, Muniain injured
- 14 Oct 12:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Louis Saha: "I'm a fan of Marchetti"
- 14 Oct 11:57 BARCELONA, Iniesta has won the Golden Foot 2014
- 14 Oct 07:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Negredo recovering
- 13 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ INTER, New medical tests for Osvaldo
- 11 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Season over for Estigarribia
- 10 Oct 07:17 ITALY/ PARMA, Bidaoui underwent surgery
- 09 Oct 18:15 FRANCE, Injury scare forces Koscielny out of France squad
- 09 Oct 17:59 UEFA, Infantino refuses to rule out 39th game approval
- 09 Oct 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ozil injured
- 08 Oct 16:31 Kaka: "Iím better now than I was in 2010"
- 08 Oct 07:17 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Maxwell quits the NT
- 07 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Reina injured
- 06 Oct 07:57 SPAIN/ EIBAR, Abraham injured
- 04 Oct 07:57 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kuyt quits the NT
- 03 Oct 07:57 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Richards injured
- 02 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Sammer to renew
- 01 Oct 07:17 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, van der Vaart is back
- 30 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey injured
- 27 Sep 07:57 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Chen injured
- 26 Sep 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Jese about to come back
- 25 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Trapp injured
- 24 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Santos is the NT coach
- 23 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for three months
- 20 Sep 07:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Asian owners for Reading
- 18 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Mandzukic undergoes surgery
- 17 Sep 07:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Radu injured
- 16 Sep 07:17 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Debuchy out for two months
- 12 Sep 07:17 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Bento is no longer the NT coach
- 11 Sep 11:32 FRANCE, Ribery: " I will not make NT comeback"
- 11 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Blaszczykowski injured
- 09 Sep 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYER, Brandt injured
- 09 Sep 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Reus out for one month
- 08 Sep 08:30 FRANCE/ PSG, David Luiz injured
- 05 Sep 21:30 FIFA, receives World Cup corruption report
- 05 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND, Beckham believes making Wayne Rooney captain is the right decision
- 29 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo out for one month
- 28 Aug 16:44 ENGLAND,Rooney named England captain
- 28 Aug 07:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Ghoulam injured
- 27 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto out for four weeks
- 26 Aug 07:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Amorim injured
- 25 Aug 14:09 RACING, Milito:" Iím chasing a dream"
- 25 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Coentrao injured
- 24 Aug 12:00 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Beto injured
- 23 Aug 07:57 FRANCE/ OL, Grenier will undergo surgery
- 22 Aug 07:17 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Gameiro out for six weeks
- 21 Aug 09:15 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, Uvini injured
- 20 Aug 07:17 COLOMBIA/ OFFICIAL, Pekerman will train the NT until 2018
- 19 Aug 16:45 ITALY, Conte believes Azzurri will rise again
- 19 Aug 07:17 KOREA/ OFFICIAL, Shin Tae-yong is the NT new coach
- 17 Aug 11:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic injured
- 15 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Conte is the new NT coach
- 14 Aug 07:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Martinez injured
- 13 Aug 07:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Martino is the new NT coach
- 12 Aug 07:17 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva injured
- 11 Aug 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Ribery injured
- 09 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Maccarone injured
- 08 Aug 18:14 ARGENTINA, Agreement with Gerardo Martino as new coach
- 08 Aug 07:17 USA/ OFFICIAL, Donovan retires
- 05 Aug 07:17 ALGERIA/ OFFICIAL, Gourcuff is the new NT coach
- 04 Aug 18:44 GREECE, Fernando Santos has been handed an eight match international ban
- 04 Aug 07:57 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Jung injured
- 03 Aug 11:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Falcao back on the pitch
- 02 Aug 07:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sartori is Atalanta new Technical Director
- 22 Nov 00:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Survey on Tolgay Arslan
- 21 Nov 19:14 ITALY/ ROMA, 7 millions for Ponce
- 21 Nov 19:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Sacchi: "Ancelotti has done a great job at Madrid"
- 21 Nov 18:44 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Garcia: "Castan? We need to give him time to recover"
- 21 Nov 18:30 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Also Schalke tracking Aarons
- 21 Nov 18:14 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "Few options, difficult to leave in January"
- 21 Nov 18:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Borini could be the key for the purchase of Altidore
- 21 Nov 17:45 ITAL/ JUVE, Allegri:"Lazio could hurt us"
- 21 Nov 17:32 FRANCE/ PSG, Ibrahimovic:" I'm not 100 per cent yet"
- 21 Nov 17:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli insists he will be a top player despite slow start
- 21 Nov 16:59 INTER, Thohir: "We're building our five-year business plan"
- 21 Nov 16:44 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin: "Mancini?I really admire him as a coach"
- 21 Nov 16:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Bale: "Ronaldo makes me a better player"
- 21 Nov 16:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Leo is happy at Barca"
- 21 Nov 15:59 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA; Mourinho dismisses talk of Petr Cech leaving Blues
- 21 Nov 15:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers reveals Sturridge woe
- 21 Nov 15:25 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Luer joins Hull City
- 21 Nov 15:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "I tried to sign Messi"
- 21 Nov 14:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eyes on Halimi
- 21 Nov 14:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Keen on Schonbachler
- 21 Nov 13:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, started the trade for Pablo Alvarez
- 21 Nov 13:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Birmingham, Guy Moussi sign for 2 months
- 21 Nov 12:44 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, O.L. Gonalons pens new deal
- 21 Nov 12:30 SPAIN/ REAL BETIS, Approaching Diakitť
- 21 Nov 12:15 ITALY/ INTER, Duel to AC Milan for Soriano
- 21 Nov 12:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone available to loan Cerci to Inter
- 21 Nov 11:45 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Eyes on Molina
- 21 Nov 11:30 AUSTRIA/ STURM GRAZ, Keen on Huspek
- 21 Nov 11:15 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Offer for Bruma ready
- 21 Nov 11:00 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Caner Erkin
- 21 Nov 10:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Eyes on Reinartz
- 21 Nov 10:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger keen on Joao Moutinho
- 21 Nov 10:15 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, 2 rivals towards signing Asensio
- 21 Nov 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BELENENSES, Sapunaru on target
- 21 Nov 09:46 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Vertonghen for the back line
- 21 Nov 09:40 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Eyes on Obiang
- 21 Nov 09:17 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Pazzini likely to join Sampdoria in January
- 21 Nov 08:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Ancelotti until 2017
- 21 Nov 08:39 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Brown renews with Celtic
- 21 Nov 08:19 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Godin towards Bayern
- 21 Nov 08:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Armand renews with Rennes
- 21 Nov 07:40 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, New deal for Eto'o ready
- 21 Nov 07:17 BULGARIA/ OFFICIAL, Penev is no longer the NT coach
- 21 Nov 06:57 NICE, Cvitanich: "The next months will be my last ones here"
- 21 Nov 06:39 BAYER, Voller: "Drmic going nowhere"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 21 Nov 00:00 LAZIO, Biglia: "I am happy here"
- 20 Nov 23:37 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Also Villarreal after Suarez
- 20 Nov 23:17 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Interest for Dani Alves
Currently on a deal with Hamburg until June 2015 and with his possible deal renewal in jeopardy, German-Turkish midfielder Tolgay Arslan (24) has been targeted by Arsenal, according to Transfermarkt.de. Former Borussia Dortmund youth player had been surveyed by FC Seville, Malaga
Erick Thohir: "Together for Inter" President spoke to the media after today's shareholders' meeting and appointment of the new board
Interviewed by 8TV, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared about the rumors regarding Lionel Messi: "Leo is the best in the World,
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has revealed: "I’m up for more quality Germans joining the club. Ozil and I spoke to Khedira a few times a
Interviewed by TMW, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is upset because of his injury, he has come to wa
Interviewed by Bild, Bayer Leverkusen Sporting Director Rudi Voller has declared: "We need Drmic because we have many games to play in this seaso