AS ROMA, Press conference with Cangelosi, Ferola and Modica
Source: As Roma
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Zdenek Zeman's coaching staff were unveiled today at a press conference in Riscone di Brunico. Vincenzo Cangelosi (assistant coach), Roberto Ferola (fitness coach) and Giacomo Modica (first team technical collaborator) answered the questions of the waiting media.
Vincenzo Cangelosi: "I started working with Zeman in 1989 at Foggia and I've been with him ever since, apart from the year he spent working in Turkey. I couldn't go for family reasons."
Roberto Ferola: "My first experience in professional football began in 1988 when I worked under Giuseppe Materazzi at Lazio and I stayed for many years in the capital. When Zeman was at Roma I was at Modena, after which I've followed him wherever he's been. Last season I was at Pescara."
Giacomo Modica: "I had Zeman as a coach when I was a player, beginning with the Palermo Primavera side. I then moved to Licata and Messina. In 2000 when I stopped playing, I began working with him in Turkey, before following him to Salerno, Napoli, Avellino and Brescia. We spent 6 years apart and now I'm lucky enough to be back with him at Roma."
Any work in training - be it fitness exercies, or relating to technique or tactics - is always prepared by Zeman himself. We carry out his instructions, our programme goes hand in hand with what the coach asks of the players on the pitch. What we'll do over the coming days is some basic work to bring all the players up the same fitness levels, to create the basis upon which the coach can work week to week. We do have a standard way of working, but we can alter things depending on the circumstances, as happened with the rain this morning. When will we begin ball-work in training? We start later this afternoon.
It makes sense that the fitness work is geared towards our commitments in the USA, beginning on 22 July. Although they are all friendlies, we'll still take them seriously. We are AS Roma, we're a big club. The second part of training camp? The club are working on that and will release the dates as soon as they are finalised.
We're going to analyse our work over the whole period, rather than looking at it as two phases. We will almost always have double training sessions, with fitness work in the morning and tactics and technical work in the afternoon. As time wears on we will also intensify our fitness work. The work we're doing now aims to give the lads a fitness level which will see them through the entire season. We prioritise exercises using bodyweight rather than work in the gym. We want to avoid too much machine work in the gym. Totti? He's more mature after 13 years, but he certainly hasn't lost his enjoyment of the game. How is he physically? He's ready to train and that's the most important thing.
The nutritional programme has been developed with Doctor Angelini. The players eat very well, in moderation, and with a balanced diet which is tailor-made for professional athletes. We've done tests to check the constitution of each player. The players have their choice of vegetables, a starter, main, and fruit. The food will vary during the day, to ensure a balanced diet that is in line with the work done on the training ground.
The players are very fit. Before the start of the season we gave them each an individual work-out plan and we can tell they all followed it. They are real professionals. Were some players fitter than others? It's only the second day, it's too early to say.
We shouldn't talk in terms of risks when it comes to pre-season training but in terms of adaptation. Every player will need to adapt to the workload required of them, that's absolutely normal. Of course the players do have a few physical complaints here and there, but again that's normal. There are no risks.
Has Zeman changed at all? Fundamentally no, but he has polished a few things. It's not a coincidence that people still say he's a modern coach, even though he started 30 years ago. He always introduces new ideas, thanks to his vast experience. He's a coach who always offers different approaches. What are the differences compared to his first spell at Roma? It's hard to say at the moment, we've only just started.
This period is the same for all the players, regardless of their position. Later the goalkeepers will go and work on specific things. They will still be considered part of the squad, they still need to know how the team moves and will move on the pitch, although they will have their own set area and specific training based on what the coach asks us to work on. Our current goalkeepers in the squad? We'll form an opinion on them once we get to know them better.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 00:00 INTER, Rolando: "My future? I am happy here"
- 18 Apr 15:31 INTER, Walter Mazzarri names a 20-man squad for Parma v Inter
- 18 Apr 00:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "I want to stay"
- 17 Apr 16:44 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "Signing my first contract for the club was an emotional moment "
- 16 Apr 15:57 INTER, Juan Jesus: "Will I go under the knife? No, because it's only the collateral ligament"
- 16 Apr 00:00 UDINESE, Giaretta: "No contacts with Inter for Basta and Danilo"
- 15 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Conte elusive about his future
- 14 Apr 14:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "As when I was a player, I always think about both defending and attacking"
- 14 Apr 11:15 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "Now we can't afford any more slip-ups"
- 11 Apr 23:15 INTER, Guarin: "AC Milan? I signed a new deal to stay at Inter"
- 11 Apr 18:19 AS ROMA, Garcia: "I'd love the season to go on foreve"
- 11 Apr 14:44 JUVENTUS, Isla targets victory against former club in Udine
- 11 Apr 09:31 JUVENTUS,Europa League - Conte: “We deserve our place in the semis”
- 11 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Reina: "My future? I haven't decided yet"
- 10 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Wolski: "I want to remain here for a long time"
- 09 Apr 18:44 JUVENTUS, Conte targets “prestigious” spot in Euro semis
- 09 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt: "Seedorf always tells us to respect one another"
- 09 Apr 14:44 JUVENTUS, Caceres out to continue club’s European journey
- 09 Apr 14:30 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "The Scudetto race isn't over yet"
- 09 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Pjanic: "Now I am happy here, but.."
- 08 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Bonera: "We'll give everything we have for joining Europe"
- 08 Apr 15:30 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "We haven't been aesthetically flawless, but we showed we are a team"
- 08 Apr 13:30 AC MILAN, Kakà: "Honda was already working well, we are very happy for him"
- 08 Apr 10:30 AC MILAN, Seedorf: "Honda is improving game by game"
- 08 Apr 09:46 INTER, Hernanes: "This opportunity came at the right moment in my career"
- 08 Apr 00:00 AC MILAN, Mexes: "I will honor my contract"
- 07 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Keita: "I am not thinking about my contract"
- 06 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Vucinic and Quagliarella away? We'll see"
- 05 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Reina: "Honoured by Barcelona interest"
- 04 Apr 19:15 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella: "Growing up I also liked Montella"
- 04 Apr 17:00 AC MILAN, Rami: "I want to stay and win something relevant"
- 04 Apr 08:45 JUVENTUS, Bonucci: "O.L? A massive win"
- 04 Apr 08:30 JUVENTUS, Conte: "Lads showed the right mentality"
- 04 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "We are interested in Lacazette"
- 03 Apr 15:00 AC MILAN, Medical report on Essien's injury
- 03 Apr 09:49 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Weidenfeller: "We made things too easy for Madrid"
- 03 Apr 08:52 INTER, Hernanes: "Very few with Mazzarri’s footballing intelligence"
- 03 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Taddei: "I hope to renew, but.."
- 02 Apr 15:58 INTER, Botta: "An honour for me to be able to wear the Nerazzurri shirt"
- 02 Apr 00:00 NAPOLI, Mesto's agent: "Soon the new contract"
- 01 Apr 15:45 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Let’s think exclusively about the league championship"
- 01 Apr 00:00 FIORENTINA, Diakite's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 31 Mar 12:34 INTER, Chivu announce the mutual termination of the contract
- 31 Mar 00:00 FIORENTINA, Neto: "New contract? I am happy in Florence.."
- 30 Mar 06:30 INTER, Ranocchia: "My future? In June we'll see.."
- 29 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pirlo: "Moving abroad? I am in the right place"
- 28 Mar 00:00 AC MILAN, Taarabt's middleman: "Great chances for him to stay, however..."
- 27 Mar 17:15 AC MILAN, Mexes: "It was fundamental for us to egt the win against Fiorentina"
- 27 Mar 10:15 JUVENTUS, Conte: "We’re the only Italian representative in the hunt for a European trophy"
- 20 Apr 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Cercle Brugge sign De Bie
- 20 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ VERONA, In talks for Espericueta
- 20 Apr 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Idea Regula
- 20 Apr 21:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Doubts about Elkeson
- 20 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Andreasen
- 20 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer to Silva
- 20 Apr 20:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Mission for Carrillo
- 20 Apr 19:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Three names for the offensive line
- 20 Apr 19:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Pinto ready
- 20 Apr 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Lazio
- 20 Apr 18:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Trying to extend Caparrós' deal
- 20 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Garay for the defense
- 20 Apr 17:27 URUGUAY/ SPORTING, Italian auction for Silva
- 20 Apr 16:57 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Sollbauer renews with Wolfsberger
- 20 Apr 16:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Conte on the wishlist
- 20 Apr 15:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Italian suitors for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN, No more interested in Laporte
- 20 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Fernando ready
- 20 Apr 14:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Schwegler intended to leave
- 20 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Rafa Silva
- 20 Apr 13:29 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Fauré renews with Charleroi
- 20 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Lanzini
- 20 Apr 12:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Eyes on Contento
- 20 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Soon meeting for Rolando
- 20 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, New mission for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 20 Apr 09:00 BORDEAUX, Maurice-Belay: "I want to stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
- 19 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zapata the key for Muriel
- 19 Apr 13:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Two clubs after Kompany
- 19 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back for Ljajic
- 19 Apr 12:29 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Interest for Schwegler
- 19 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gonalons
- 19 Apr 11:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stanton renews with Hibernian
- 19 Apr 10:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Romulo on permanent basis
- 19 Apr 10:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Sirigu about to renew
- 19 Apr 09:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Idea Montella for the bench
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by Mediaset after the game won against his former team Fiorentina, AS Roma forward Adem Ljajic has declared: 2My future? I arrived...
Interviewed by AS, Fernando Felicevich, agent of Barcelona 25 year old forward Alexis Sanchez has declared: "I have talked with Alexis, who...
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry, actually on loan at Everton, has declared: "If the club offer me a contract and show me they want...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...