AS ROMA, Press conference with Cangelosi, Ferola and Modica
Source: As Roma
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Zdenek Zeman's coaching staff were unveiled today at a press conference in Riscone di Brunico. Vincenzo Cangelosi (assistant coach), Roberto Ferola (fitness coach) and Giacomo Modica (first team technical collaborator) answered the questions of the waiting media.
Vincenzo Cangelosi: "I started working with Zeman in 1989 at Foggia and I've been with him ever since, apart from the year he spent working in Turkey. I couldn't go for family reasons."
Roberto Ferola: "My first experience in professional football began in 1988 when I worked under Giuseppe Materazzi at Lazio and I stayed for many years in the capital. When Zeman was at Roma I was at Modena, after which I've followed him wherever he's been. Last season I was at Pescara."
Giacomo Modica: "I had Zeman as a coach when I was a player, beginning with the Palermo Primavera side. I then moved to Licata and Messina. In 2000 when I stopped playing, I began working with him in Turkey, before following him to Salerno, Napoli, Avellino and Brescia. We spent 6 years apart and now I'm lucky enough to be back with him at Roma."
Any work in training - be it fitness exercies, or relating to technique or tactics - is always prepared by Zeman himself. We carry out his instructions, our programme goes hand in hand with what the coach asks of the players on the pitch. What we'll do over the coming days is some basic work to bring all the players up the same fitness levels, to create the basis upon which the coach can work week to week. We do have a standard way of working, but we can alter things depending on the circumstances, as happened with the rain this morning. When will we begin ball-work in training? We start later this afternoon.
It makes sense that the fitness work is geared towards our commitments in the USA, beginning on 22 July. Although they are all friendlies, we'll still take them seriously. We are AS Roma, we're a big club. The second part of training camp? The club are working on that and will release the dates as soon as they are finalised.
We're going to analyse our work over the whole period, rather than looking at it as two phases. We will almost always have double training sessions, with fitness work in the morning and tactics and technical work in the afternoon. As time wears on we will also intensify our fitness work. The work we're doing now aims to give the lads a fitness level which will see them through the entire season. We prioritise exercises using bodyweight rather than work in the gym. We want to avoid too much machine work in the gym. Totti? He's more mature after 13 years, but he certainly hasn't lost his enjoyment of the game. How is he physically? He's ready to train and that's the most important thing.
The nutritional programme has been developed with Doctor Angelini. The players eat very well, in moderation, and with a balanced diet which is tailor-made for professional athletes. We've done tests to check the constitution of each player. The players have their choice of vegetables, a starter, main, and fruit. The food will vary during the day, to ensure a balanced diet that is in line with the work done on the training ground.
The players are very fit. Before the start of the season we gave them each an individual work-out plan and we can tell they all followed it. They are real professionals. Were some players fitter than others? It's only the second day, it's too early to say.
We shouldn't talk in terms of risks when it comes to pre-season training but in terms of adaptation. Every player will need to adapt to the workload required of them, that's absolutely normal. Of course the players do have a few physical complaints here and there, but again that's normal. There are no risks.
Has Zeman changed at all? Fundamentally no, but he has polished a few things. It's not a coincidence that people still say he's a modern coach, even though he started 30 years ago. He always introduces new ideas, thanks to his vast experience. He's a coach who always offers different approaches. What are the differences compared to his first spell at Roma? It's hard to say at the moment, we've only just started.
This period is the same for all the players, regardless of their position. Later the goalkeepers will go and work on specific things. They will still be considered part of the squad, they still need to know how the team moves and will move on the pitch, although they will have their own set area and specific training based on what the coach asks us to work on. Our current goalkeepers in the squad? We'll form an opinion on them once we get to know them better.
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 24 Jul 08:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
- 22 Jul 17:00 INTER, Nagatomo about Japan: "We made a lot of progress under Zaccheroni"
- 22 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We are seeking the best solution for the club and I"
- 21 Jul 10:13 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We're as strong as Juventus and Roma
- 21 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Callejon: "I will stay"
- 20 Jul 06:00 INTER, Mazzarri: "Medel? I don't think he's one of our players"
- 19 Jul 00:00 FIORENTINA, Della Valle: "I will try to keep Cuadrado"
- 18 Jul 00:00 INTER, Kuzmanovic: "I will stay"
- 17 Jul 06:00 INTER, Ranocchia: "Never thought about joining Juve"
- 16 Jul 17:45 JUVENTUS, Allegri's first words as Bianconeri manager: "I'll need to win for winning fans over. No widespread changes, happy to work with Pirlo again"
- 16 Jul 00:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "Juventus have lost a great man"
- 15 Jul 06:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 14 Jul 06:00 JUVENTUS, Vidal: "Honored by United's interest"
- 13 Jul 06:00 FIORENTINA, Valero: "I am not leaving"
- 12 Jul 00:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "He could still join Milan"
- 11 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Vrsaljko won't join. Cerci.. who knows"
- 10 Jul 00:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Iturbe? We'll see.."
- 09 Jul 00:00 LAZIO, Lotito: "Klose is not for sale"
- 08 Jul 00:00 FIORENTINA, Pradè: "No official offers for Cuadrado"
- 07 Jul 06:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "Don't know anything about Barcelona"
- 04 Jul 00:00 GENOA. Vrsaljko's agent: "No news about his future"
- 03 Jul 00:00 NAPOLI, Inler's agent: "He is happy here"
- 02 Jul 08:50 JUVENTUS, Barzagli undergoes surgery in Finland
- 01 Jul 00:00 INTER, Taider: "I will stay"
- 30 Jun 16:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "No contacts with Arsenal"
- 30 Jun 13:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi about FIGC: "The hour has come for change"
- 28 Jun 00:00 GENOA, Vrsaljko's agent: "Fiorentina agreable destination"
- 26 Jun 00:00 FIORENTINA, Ilicic's agent: "Don't know anything about Lazio"
- 25 Jun 17:00 AC MILAN, Balotelli has hit back at his critics
- 25 Jun 00:00 INTER, Bardi's agent: "He is about to join Chievo"
- 24 Jun 00:00 LAZIO, Perea's agent: "He's going nowhere"
- 23 Jun 00:00 MILAN, B. Berlusconi: "Balotelli is not irreplaceable"
- 22 Jun 06:00 FIORENTINA, Bernardeschi: "Udinese and Cagliari agreable destinations"
- 21 Jun 00:00 INTER, Krhin's agent: "Happy to be back"
- 20 Jun 06:00 FIORENTINA, Babacar's agent: "Italian and foreign clubs after him"
- 19 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Robinho: "We still don't know if he will stay"
- 18 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Radosevic's agent: "He's looking for a team where he can play"
- 17 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Benzema's agent: "No agreement for the new contract"
- 17 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Pandev's agent: "He's like to to end his career in Naples"
- 16 Jun 00:00 NAPOLI, Benitez: "We are not seeking defenders or goalkeepers"
- 14 Jun 00:00 INTER, Rolando: "I would like to remain, but..."
- 13 Jun 16:15 AC MILAN, Barbara Berlusconi: "Our aim is to get qualified to Champions League"
- 13 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Cristante's agent: "Benfica after him, but he's not for sale"
- 12 Jun 00:00 INTER, Silvestre's agent: "Besiktas is an option"
- 11 Jun 00:00 GENOA, Perin's agent: "Monaco are not after him"
- 10 Jun 00:00 JUVENTUS, Quagliarella's agent: "Galatasaray? Too early"
- 09 Jun 16:26 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Inzaghi " I thank President Berlusconi and all the club for the faith"
- 09 Jun 00:00 AC MILAN, Zaccardo: "I would like to stay"
- 24 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Real Madrid offer for El Shaarawy rejected
- 24 Jul 11:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Miranda joins Chievo Verona
- 24 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Surprise lead over Lazio on Astori
- 24 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Bellomo more and more likely to join
- 24 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Arsenal defeated: Loic Remy about to join
- 24 Jul 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Romero
- 24 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Agree £4million fee for midfielder Besic
- 24 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo weighs up Galatasaray transfer due to Allegri's presence
- 24 Jul 09:13 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Continue to track Raphael Varane.
- 24 Jul 08:55 ENGLAND/ QPR, plot Samuel Eto'o transfer
- 24 Jul 08:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 08:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Keylor Navas
- 24 Jul 08:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar
- 24 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Badelj
- 24 Jul 07:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Gaitan about to join
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 24 Jul 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "Will I stay? Of course!"
- 24 Jul 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We can't afford to sign Behrami"
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
After an unfortunate 2013/14, mainly spent recovering from to a tough left foot injury, Italian international winger and forward Stephan El Shaarawy (21), according to latest rumours reported in Italian media, has just been the object of an offer coming from Real Madrid,...
After completing their first training session on US soil, Nemanja Vidic stopped to give their first thoughts on tour. And despite the jet-leg,...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...