AS ROMA, Press conference with Cangelosi, Ferola and Modica
Source: As Roma
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
Zdenek Zeman's coaching staff were unveiled today at a press conference in Riscone di Brunico. Vincenzo Cangelosi (assistant coach), Roberto Ferola (fitness coach) and Giacomo Modica (first team technical collaborator) answered the questions of the waiting media.
Vincenzo Cangelosi: "I started working with Zeman in 1989 at Foggia and I've been with him ever since, apart from the year he spent working in Turkey. I couldn't go for family reasons."
Roberto Ferola: "My first experience in professional football began in 1988 when I worked under Giuseppe Materazzi at Lazio and I stayed for many years in the capital. When Zeman was at Roma I was at Modena, after which I've followed him wherever he's been. Last season I was at Pescara."
Giacomo Modica: "I had Zeman as a coach when I was a player, beginning with the Palermo Primavera side. I then moved to Licata and Messina. In 2000 when I stopped playing, I began working with him in Turkey, before following him to Salerno, Napoli, Avellino and Brescia. We spent 6 years apart and now I'm lucky enough to be back with him at Roma."
Any work in training - be it fitness exercies, or relating to technique or tactics - is always prepared by Zeman himself. We carry out his instructions, our programme goes hand in hand with what the coach asks of the players on the pitch. What we'll do over the coming days is some basic work to bring all the players up the same fitness levels, to create the basis upon which the coach can work week to week. We do have a standard way of working, but we can alter things depending on the circumstances, as happened with the rain this morning. When will we begin ball-work in training? We start later this afternoon.
It makes sense that the fitness work is geared towards our commitments in the USA, beginning on 22 July. Although they are all friendlies, we'll still take them seriously. We are AS Roma, we're a big club. The second part of training camp? The club are working on that and will release the dates as soon as they are finalised.
We're going to analyse our work over the whole period, rather than looking at it as two phases. We will almost always have double training sessions, with fitness work in the morning and tactics and technical work in the afternoon. As time wears on we will also intensify our fitness work. The work we're doing now aims to give the lads a fitness level which will see them through the entire season. We prioritise exercises using bodyweight rather than work in the gym. We want to avoid too much machine work in the gym. Totti? He's more mature after 13 years, but he certainly hasn't lost his enjoyment of the game. How is he physically? He's ready to train and that's the most important thing.
The nutritional programme has been developed with Doctor Angelini. The players eat very well, in moderation, and with a balanced diet which is tailor-made for professional athletes. We've done tests to check the constitution of each player. The players have their choice of vegetables, a starter, main, and fruit. The food will vary during the day, to ensure a balanced diet that is in line with the work done on the training ground.
The players are very fit. Before the start of the season we gave them each an individual work-out plan and we can tell they all followed it. They are real professionals. Were some players fitter than others? It's only the second day, it's too early to say.
We shouldn't talk in terms of risks when it comes to pre-season training but in terms of adaptation. Every player will need to adapt to the workload required of them, that's absolutely normal. Of course the players do have a few physical complaints here and there, but again that's normal. There are no risks.
Has Zeman changed at all? Fundamentally no, but he has polished a few things. It's not a coincidence that people still say he's a modern coach, even though he started 30 years ago. He always introduces new ideas, thanks to his vast experience. He's a coach who always offers different approaches. What are the differences compared to his first spell at Roma? It's hard to say at the moment, we've only just started.
This period is the same for all the players, regardless of their position. Later the goalkeepers will go and work on specific things. They will still be considered part of the squad, they still need to know how the team moves and will move on the pitch, although they will have their own set area and specific training based on what the coach asks us to work on. Our current goalkeepers in the squad? We'll form an opinion on them once we get to know them better.
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 27 Nov 13:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We can win Serie A"
- 24 Nov 11:59 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "City will be aggressive. Dybala is developing into a very fine player, technique-wise"
- 20 Nov 00:00 AC MILAN, Donnarumma: "Being compared to Buffon is an honour, he's the all-time best"
- 19 Nov 16:30 NAPOLI, Jorginho's agent: "I'm not surprised Premier League are tracking him"
- 18 Nov 17:30 JUVENTUS, Morata: "At Paris it was a terrible tragedy"
- 16 Nov 10:36 ITALY/ JUVE, Pogba will leave and join Barcelona, according to FIFA agent Bronzetti
- 15 Nov 17:00 AS ROMA, Garcia on Paris attacks: "Let's all stay close against such tragedies"
- 09 Nov 18:00 ITALY, Conte: "Pirlo may not make Italy Euro 2016 squad"
- 09 Nov 17:49 ITALY/ AC MILAN, For the midfield observing Maher
- 09 Nov 15:40 NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We are proud of what we are achieving"
- 06 Nov 00:05 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I will do the best that I can to support Mancini and Inter. Scudetto? We will see"
- 05 Nov 22:04 INTER, Deschamps: "Difficult situation for Kondogbia at Inter"
- 05 Nov 08:29 AS ROMA, Nainggolan: "Good victory over Leverkusen, but we need to improve defence-wise"
- 04 Nov 05:57 EXCLUSIVE - Cristiano Zanetti: "Inter is favourite for Scudetto, injuries will make the difference. Mancini understands all game situations"
- 03 Nov 14:13 ITALY, Summit Thohir-Berlusconi, the topics
- 03 Nov 07:59 INTER, Mancini: "Scudetto? We'll think about that later"
- 02 Nov 20:39 AC MILAN, Bertolacci: tear of the rectus femoris muscle in his left thigh
- 02 Nov 18:27 AC MILAN, Antonelli: "We knew Lazio's wide-men are the league's best. A very good moment for us"
- 01 Nov 22:00 TORINO, Bad news from the infirmary: Maksimovic's return delayed
- 29 Oct 09:57 JUVENTUS, Allegri after Sassuolo disaster: "No excuse for our approach, I'm really disappointed. All of us are to blame"
- 28 Oct 07:30 INTER, Handanovic: "My save on Destro? That's simply my job. But we need to work on our mentality and approach"
- 27 Oct 06:00 INTER, Mancini: "Besides Fiorentina unfortunate game, we showed to be defensively solid"
- 26 Oct 21:35 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini: "Icardi will rediscover goalscoring form"
- 26 Oct 14:00 NAPOLI, Higuain: "We played almost perfectly against Chievo"
- 26 Oct 09:47 JUVENTUS, Pereyra could stop for 20 days
- 24 Oct 04:08 ITALY/ JUVE, Marotta: "Draxler chose money over Juventus"
- 22 Oct 20:30 JUVENTUS, Hernanes: " At Inter I played one and half season, but I couldn't keep the continuity "
- 22 Oct 13:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Walcott: "The secret to beating Bayern"
- 21 Oct 08:59 AS ROMA, Pjanic on 4-4 draw at Leverkusen: "A real shame, we shouldn't have conceded them that much"
- 20 Oct 10:27 AS ROMA, Florenzi: "Happy to have drawn more attention on me after the goal against Barça"
- 20 Oct 05:23 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "We have built a good squad and our objective for this year is to get back into the Champions"
- 19 Oct 13:15 ITALY, Ancelotti: "I would never coach Inter"
- 19 Oct 07:00 JUVENTUS, Marchisio: "Important point against Inter. We are not giving up on Scudetto"
- 16 Oct 20:33 INTER, Mancini: "Some things have changed from my first time here"
- 16 Oct 07:00 JUVENTUS, Khedira: "Now Italian league is thrilling for us. In a way, that's a good thing"
- 15 Oct 06:00 LAZIO, Club M.D. on De Vrij: "We hope we can avoid knee surgery"
- 14 Oct 19:02 AC MILAN, Calabria: "Proud to represent Italy Under-21s"
- 14 Oct 09:53 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Signed the young Di Massimo
- 14 Oct 06:00 INTER, Alex Telles looks forward to Juventus clash: "We are prepared, and we can win. Things might change a lot after next weekend"
- 12 Oct 07:57 JUVENTUS, Medical report on Morata: no fractures
- 10 Oct 00:00 INTER, Montoya's agent: "He will stay"
- 09 Oct 00:00 INTER, Brozovic's agent: "Leaving in January? It's up to the club"
- 08 Oct 00:00 JUVENTUS, Nedved: "I don't see Morata in another club"
- 07 Oct 11:59 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Also Valencia are battling to sign Victor Valdes
- 07 Oct 00:00 NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "He has never asked to leave"
- 06 Oct 00:00 INTER, Dimarco's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 05 Oct 00:00 AC MILAN, Mihajlovic: "I won't resign"
- 04 Oct 00:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez: "I will stay for some more seasons, then.."
- 03 Oct 06:00 INTER, Vidic's agent: "Nothing true about DC United's interest"
- 02 Oct 00:00 JUVENTUS, Morata: "Too early to talk about my new contract"
- 01 Oct 13:27 JUVENTUS, Morata after triumph over FC Seville: "Delighted for victory more than for my goal. I really enjoy working with Dybala"
- 01 Oct 00:00 FIORENTINA, Vecino: "I am very happy in Florence"
- 30 Sep 06:00 JUVENTUS, Buffon: "I would have liked to play in England"
- 29 Sep 19:58 JUVENTUS, Lichtsteiner will miss the Group D meeting with Sevilla
- 29 Sep 19:09 Champions League Matchday 2, Preview - AS ROMA: "Vital game against BATE. No problem playing in Keita's usual position, if I'm needed there"
- 29 Sep 16:46 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Disciplinary action against Caceres: suspension from the first team
- 29 Sep 13:30 CHAMPIONS, Bate-Roma: Possible lineups Roma boss Garcia set for 100th game in charge
- 29 Sep 06:00 FIORENTINA, Alonso's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 28 Sep 13:59 Roll with the exes - FROSINONE v EMPOLI: the only one is a very recent one
- 28 Sep 10:37 Roll with the exes - ATALANTA v SAMPDORIA: One for each team, both Paraguayan
- 28 Sep 00:00 BOLOGNA, Corvino: "Rossi will stay"
- 26 Sep 23:00 Roll with the exes - Matchday 6, TORINO v PALERMO: several ones, Belotti is the most recent
- 26 Sep 21:00 Roll with the exes - Matchday 6, SASSUOLO v CHIEVO VERONA: one captain and icon among
- 26 Sep 15:00 Roll with the exes - Matchday 6, NAPOLI v JUVENTUS: the only real one is a manager
- 26 Sep 11:00 Roll with the exes - Matchday 6, AS ROMA v CARPI: a veteran Giallorossi striker in between
- 24 Sep 13:00 Roll with the exes - EMPOLI v ATALANTA: One for each squad
- 23 Sep 23:30 JUVENTUS, Allegri after Matchday 5 failure: "We weren't careful enough on Frosinone corner kick"
- 23 Sep 16:00 Roll with the exes - LAZIO v GENOA: two important offensive players in the spotlight
- 23 Sep 13:17 Roll with the exes - SAMPDORIA v AS ROMA: once Giallorossi star
- 23 Sep 12:00 Roll with the exes - INTER v HELLAS VERONA: a former big scorer among
- 23 Sep 10:59 Roll with the exes - JUVENTUS v FROSINONE: all on greenhorns side
- 22 Sep 01:00 FIORENTINA, Fernandez's coach: "Agreement for his new deal"
- 19 Sep 12:00 AC MILAN v PALERMO, Matchday 4 Special Preview - Nocerino is not the only ex
- 19 Sep 00:00 JUVENTUS, Morata: "I want to win with this club"
- 18 Sep 13:45 GENOA v JUVENTUS, Special Preview - Sturaro is the recent moving jewel
- 18 Sep 00:30 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part Two - AS ROMA (Group E), scorer of the highlight goal Florenzi: "It will be one of my best football memories"
- 17 Sep 08:00 NAPOLI, Mertens: "Relaxed about my new contract"
- 16 Sep 14:30 Champions League Matchday 1 aftermath, Part One - JUVENTUS (Group D), Morata: "When we play as we know to, we're among the best teams in Europe"
- 16 Sep 08:00 NAPOLI, Strinic's agent: "He wants to stay"
- 15 Sep 16:39 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Matchday 1, predicted lineups - MANCHESTER CITY v JUVENTUS (Group D): Fernando from the kick-off
- 15 Sep 08:00 INTER, Handanovic's agent: "He has 99,9% chances to renew"
- 14 Sep 07:00 AC MILAN, Montolivo: "This is the Balotelli we always want to see"
- 11 Sep 08:00 ROMA, Garcia: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 10 Sep 08:00 PALERMO, Gilardino: "I thought I was going to stay at Fiorentina"
- 10 Sep 01:17 JUVENTUS, Hernanes: "We need to start winning immediately. I'll be the offensive midfielder Allegri wants"
- 09 Sep 00:00 PALERMO, Morganella: "Happy to have renewed"
- 08 Sep 11:12 INTER, Perisic: "Ditching Wolfsburg for Inter was easy"
- 07 Sep 16:30 AC MILAN, Once more Bad Boy Balotelli: driving license suspended
- 07 Sep 15:15 AS ROMA, Medical tests for Pjanic
- 07 Sep 11:39 LAZIO, De Vrij injured playing for Dutch NT
- 05 Sep 00:00 TORINO, Glik: "I never asked to leave"
- 04 Sep 00:00 NAPOLI, Insigne's agent: "He wants to stay for good"
- 03 Sep 15:59 TORINO, Left foot fracture for Maksimovic: 3 months out
- 03 Sep 00:00 JUVE, Marotta: "We've been in talks for Hamsik"
- 02 Sep 08:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "We were hoping to obtain Witsel on loan"
- 31 Aug 00:00 JUVENTUS, Allegri: "I expect something from the transfer market"
- 30 Aug 10:00 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Ibra won't join"
- 28 Aug 09:00 JUVENTUS, Marotta: "Nothing true about Ibrahimovic"
- 27 Aug 08:00 INTER, Brozovic: "OL? I am happy here"
- 21 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Amauri's agent: "I don't think he will leave"
- 27 Nov 19:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Glik negotiating renewal
- 27 Nov 19:30 ISRAELI/ MACCABI TEL AVIV, 3 Bundesliga clubs surveying Zahavi
- 27 Nov 19:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Manchester City plan cash offer for Pastore
- 27 Nov 18:00 ENGLAND/ QPR, In talks with Hasselbaink as possible new manager
- 27 Nov 17:00 ITALY/ LAZIO, Reopening on Cataldi's loan to Empoli
- 27 Nov 16:00 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sinama Pongolle joins Dundee United
- 27 Nov 15:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Thiago Carleto resigns from Botafogo
- 27 Nov 14:01 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mou wants Vardy and Dembele
- 27 Nov 13:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Hamsik: "We can win Serie A"
- 27 Nov 13:02 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman insists will reject any offers for forward Sadio Mane
- 27 Nov 12:38 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu insists he wants to stay
- 27 Nov 12:19 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Pulis would like to stay for the long term
- 27 Nov 12:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: "Sanchez and Vardy are like lions"
- 27 Nov 11:40 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New Neymar deal close
- 27 Nov 11:22 ITALY/ UDINESE, Di Natale asking to quit before
- 27 Nov 10:58 ITALY/ INTER, Pirlo is still a market target
- 27 Nov 10:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli against Reds return
- 27 Nov 10:31 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger is targeting Lars Bender
- 27 Nov 10:15 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Messi in big-money City move
- 27 Nov 09:57 ITALY/ INTER, Sevilla and Sporting Lisbona interested in Ranocchia
- 27 Nov 00:00 SPAIN/ FC SEVILLE, Possible winter attempt for Ranocchia due to Andreolli's injury
- 26 Nov 23:00 ITALY/ TORINO, Eyes on Caldara
- 26 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Bilic wants Gökhan Töre again with him
- 26 Nov 21:00 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Working on getting Benatia back
- 26 Nov 20:00 UAE/ AL-WAHDA, Back for Amauri
- 26 Nov 19:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Liverpool loan Marsh to Wednesday
- 26 Nov 19:00 BRAZIL/ GREMIO, Suggestion for Marcelo Toscano
- 26 Nov 18:27 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Alégué
- 26 Nov 17:57 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Sunderland loan Bridcutt to Leeds
- 26 Nov 17:29 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Winter suggestion for Van Persie
- 26 Nov 16:59 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Kingsley joins Swansea City back
- 26 Nov 16:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bruno Peres renews for Torino
- 26 Nov 16:00 ARGENTINA/ BOCA JUNIORS, Done for Osvaldo's return
- 26 Nov 15:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Culpi resigns from Atletico Mineiro
- 26 Nov 14:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger: bargain hunter
- 26 Nov 13:27 LEICESTER CITY & WBA, Eyes on Darikwa
- 26 Nov 12:57 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Lead over Werder on Lezcano
- 26 Nov 12:29 LONDON CALLING - ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Abramovich wants Ribéry
- 26 Nov 11:59 BRAZIL/ FLAMENGO, Willing to bring Juan back
- 26 Nov 11:30 SWITZERLAND/ YOUNG BOYS, Planning to get Michael Frey back
- 26 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Deulofeu: "Back to Barça? No way, I love Toffees". Sums and situation
- 26 Nov 10:27 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Leroy Fer might join back in January
- 26 Nov 09:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, 4 veterans renew for Torino
- 26 Nov 09:29 SPAIN/ VILLARREAL, Trial period for 2 young Uruguayans
- 26 Nov 08:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING LISBON, Suggestion for Ranocchia
- 26 Nov 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Rafael's agent: "He needs to play with a continuity again. Winter move? I don't know"
- 26 Nov 08:00 JUVENTUS & REAL MADRID, Both surveying Rulli
- 26 Nov 06:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Manchester City extend Zuculini's loan to Middlesbrough
- 26 Nov 04:00 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, New suggestion for Borriello
- 26 Nov 02:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Weighing up an offer for Slimani
Recently surveyed by Bayern Munich, and tracked by many more first-rate clubs, as reported here: http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=165434, Argentinian international offensive midfielder and half-forward Javier Matías Pastore (26) has be
Napoli captain Marek Hamsik admitted the team's exploits this season have taken him by surprise, but he feels his side can mount a
Attending a long press conference, Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez widely commented upon Rafa Benitez's position stability as Merengues manager
On a good route after a difficult start, Manchester United could now get Champiosn League eighth finals pass with one group round turn in advance, now
Interviewed by Maxifoot.fr, Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta stated: "My renewal with PSG? I've always been honest with the c
Scorer of the temporary equalizing goal in last Bundesliga match againt Bayern Munich, which in the end won 3-1 at Veltins-Arena, Schalke 04 risi