AS ROMA, Marquinho: "I was never worried I might be heading back to Brazil"
Source: As Roma
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
At the end of yesterday morning's training session the Brazilian player of As Roma, Marquinho met journalists in the press room. This is what he had to say:
I think we're still lacking something before we can rub shoulders with the teams that finished at the top of the table last season, but we have a team than can challenge on various fronts this year: the group work together well and after having a year to get to know each other we can now start thinking about putting in a serious challenge for the title. The least of our targets is winning a Champions League place and we are putting lot of effort into this now. I believe that after all of the physical work we are doing the satisfaction of winning something will be great, especially after a mediocre season like last year's. Totti? He's always been in the limelight whether he's on or off the pitch: he's an example to us all and I think he should keep on going because he's one of those players who can make a difference.
I've always believed in my abilities and if another player who plays in my position is signed, the competition for a place on the team will do us good: this is an important factor as regards the quality of the squad. Have I decided on a goal tally? It isn't easy to set a target. In Brazil I managed eight or ten a season. I can only guarantee one thing: I will score because I'll give everything I've got when I'm out there on the pitch. If the right opportunity presents itself, I'll take it and slip into the box or go for a shot from outside the area.
We were very tired yesterday following a very heavy training session before the match: Zeman is a great promoter of physical fitness and after an hour our legs began to feel the pressure, but I think things will improve from now on and we'll start to see the benefit after a couple of weeks. I think that in Zeman's system midfielders will run more, because the way he wants us to play involves continuous back-up and overlapping both in attack and in defence. Castan? He's a great player and he's going through a wonderful spell in his career; I'm sure he will fit perfectly into a team like this.
The method of training here is slightly different to what we do in Brazil and back home pre-season preparations are shorter than in Italy. Personally speaking I have never done so much running, but my team-mates and I all want to do what the boss tells us to: the purpose of this work is to win things. An identikit of Zeman? I'd say he's definitely someone out of the ordinary compared to other coaches I have worked under. What has surprised me is his persistence, his belief in what he is doing and that he never stoops to compromises. He doesn't negotiate where workload is concerned and no one gets off lightly. Undoubtedly the work is tough, but we all believe in him and he is a winner. From now on things will take a turn for the better.
STAYING AT ROMA
I was never worried I might be heading back to Brazil because I spoke to Sabatini and Baldini before going away on holiday. Then, as always, a bit of time was needed to finalise all the details. What's my favourite position? My ideal position is in central midfield – that's where I'm able to give the best of myself.
Destro? To be honest I haven't seen Siena play very often, but I know he's done very well. Borini's departure has deprived us of a very influential player, but if we can bring in a valid alternative it will help make up for his loss. Thiago Silva's move to PSG? He's without doubt the best defender in the world and Italy always lose out when a player of his calibre moves elsewhere. I certainly back him because besides being a great person he's also a great friend.
Other news Serie A ( Italy )
- 28 Jun 12:51 JUVENTUS, Dani Alves introduces himself: "It was time to leave Barça. Bianconeri are THE icon of Italian football"
- 28 Jun 11:48 FC INTER - Thohir: "Proud of the strategic partnership formalised today with Suning"
- 22 Jun 18:51 OFFICIAL - Empoli buy Buchel back from JUVENTUS
- 21 Jun 16:54 OFFICIAL - AC MILAN: El Shaarawy has been permanently sold to AS ROMA
- 15 Jun 22:15 OFFICIAL - Palermo extend contract with Portuguese talent Embalo
- 15 Jun 20:45 LAZIO - Negotiation with Bielsa ongoing in Argentina
- 11 Jun 08:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Spartak Moscow in talks with Sampdoria for FERNANDO
- 10 Jun 10:54 JUVENTUS, Eye on Pellè
- 08 Jun 17:30 AS ROMA, Chelsea cleared of wrongdoing over the loan of Salah
- 08 Jun 17:16 LAZIO, Other troubles with Adriano: Barça will not let him leave for free
- 03 Jun 09:44 AC MILAN, Unai Emery gives green light: € 1.5 millions resignation to FC Seville
- 31 May 23:38 Italia, Bernardeschi's father: "Federico's convocation is a dream"
- 28 May 15:23 Milan, Berlusconi: "I'am dealing with Chinese e for this reason I study Chinese"
- 25 May 21:41 Inter, Zanetti: "Medel is important for us, it remains here"
- 23 May 22:15 Lazio, postive meeting with Prandelli
- 23 May 18:11 Napoli, the promise made by Higuain to Sarri: "I'll see you in Dimaro"
- 23 May 18:01 Inter, Moratti and Suning agreement: "Possible news soon"
- 23 May 17:57 Zanetti: "Simeone would coach Inter, but Mancini is a great coach"
- 23 May 17:45 Roma, Pallotta arrives in June. Totti and stadium on the agenda
- 23 May 17:06 Seria A, top 11 of Italian Championship according to UEFA
- 23 May 16:53 Inter, fixed Brozovic price: costs 25 mln euro
- 17 May 22:16 Milan, Bacca: "Saturday we have the opportunity to raise a new cup"
- 17 May 20:55 Fiorentina, Zarate: "I'am happy for my season in Florence"
- 17 May 20:10 Roma, Sabatini: Digne? "We will find an agreement with Paris Saint Germain"
- 17 May 12:20 LAZIO, Defining agreement with Jorge Sampaoli as next manager
- 16 May 16:13 LAZIO, Klose: "Leaving is not my decision"
- 16 May 09:35 TURIN to appoint Giampaolo if Ventura leaves
- 15 May 18:30 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting with River Plate on Alario
- 15 May 16:57 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Raul Asencio extend his deal with Genoa
- 12 May 20:15 Milan, ag. Bacca: "Future? We will talk with club after the Italian Cup final"
- 09 May 07:06 ATALANTA, Club icon Bellini quits after having scored last goal
- 06 May 09:52 PALERMO - Vazquez to leave
- 06 May 07:58 AS ROMA, Sabatini on Giallorossi midfield stars: "I want to keep Nainggolan and Pjanic"
- 05 May 11:33 VERONA - Luca Toni announces retirement
- 05 May 08:55 LAZIO, De Vrij hits pitch back after 9 months long injury
- 04 May 11:38 LAZIO - To move for Ben Arfa
- 04 May 11:01 HELLAS VERONA, Luca Toni announces quitting
- 04 May 10:31 NAPOLI - Hamsik: "I can't even imagine what would happen"
- 04 May 10:14 LAZIO - Pioli: "Happy for Claudio"
- 02 May 21:19 SERIE A - Genoa - Roma - FULL TIME
- 02 May 14:44 JUVENTUS - Morata to stay
- 02 May 10:03 MILAN - Ready to join the chase for Vilhena
- 02 May 09:49 JUVENTUS tracking BARCELONA's Mascherano
- 01 May 10:43 JUVENTUS - Set for Pogba extension
- 30 Apr 20:35 SERIE A - ChievoVerona 0 - 0 Fiorentina - HALF TIME
- 30 Apr 18:46 SERIE A - Udinese 1 - 5 Torino - LIVE SCORE
- 30 Apr 17:26 JUVENTUS - Front runners for Batshuayi
- 30 Apr 17:16 SERIE A - Udinese 0 - 1 Torino - LIVE SCORE
- 30 Apr 15:20 LAZIO - To appoint Fatih Terim
- 30 Apr 12:43 JUVENTUS - Target Kante if Pogba leaves
- 30 Apr 12:20 ROMA - De Sanctis to extend his contract
- 30 Apr 12:11 JUVENTUS - Bonucci keen on Serie A stay
- 30 Apr 11:08 NAPOLI - Mertens: "I'm fine here, but I need an extension to remain"
- 30 Apr 10:53 ANDERLECHT - Praet to join Fiorentina
- 30 Apr 09:53 FIORENTINA - Mazzarri to replace Sousa?
- 30 Apr 09:41 JUVENTUS- Neto to leave
- 29 Apr 10:09 FIORENTINA - Join the chase for Driussi
- 29 Apr 09:46 LAZIO - Biglia to leave
- 28 Apr 17:21 ROMA - El Shaarawy wants to stay
- 28 Apr 16:43 TORINO - Paredes first target
- 28 Apr 12:46 ROMA - Pjanic or Nainggolan to leave
- 28 Apr 12:22 ROMA - Caceres in the spotlight
- 28 Apr 08:42 INTER - Mancini to accept Italy job
- 28 Apr 08:29 LAZIO - To bid for Pellé
- 27 Apr 15:12 JUVENTUS - Oscar-Isco to replace Cuadrado-Morata
- 27 Apr 14:53 FIORENTINA - Tottenham set to move for Kalinic
- 27 Apr 14:42 JUVENTUS - Evra: "I've not take a decision yet"
- 27 Apr 12:42 JUVENTUS - Eyes on Liverpool target Zielinski
- 26 Apr 20:09 TRANSFER MARKET - Two clubs interested in AS ROMA's Iago Falque
- 26 Apr 19:33 JUVENTUS - Allegri gets contract extension
- 26 Apr 13:24 INTER - Offered Thauvin
- 26 Apr 12:17 JUVENTUS - Morata uncertain about future
- 26 Apr 11:57 FIORENTINA - Eyes on Praet and Missiroli
- 26 Apr 11:44 LAZIO - Time to choose the manager
- 26 Apr 11:32 TORINO - set to bid for Iago Falque
- 26 Apr 10:39 INTER - Ajax Sporting Director: "No meeting set for El Ghazi"
- 26 Apr 01:09 FIORENTINA - Kalinic not eager to leave
- 25 Apr 20:45 JUVENTUS - Allegri to extend his contract
- 25 Apr 20:33 ROMA - Szczesny: "Roma and Arsenal are in negotiations"
- 25 Apr 20:06 JUVENTUS - Marotta: "Cavani? He is an opportunity"
- 25 Apr 19:51 INTER - Man United to beat Nerazzurri for Feghouli
- 25 Apr 19:50 Carpi v Empoli 1 -0 FT score
- 25 Apr 19:12 LAZO - Borini set for Serie A return
- 25 Apr 17:52 SERIE A - Verona 2-1 Milan - Final Score
- 25 Apr 17:29 SERIE A - Verona 1-1 Milan - Live Score
- 24 Apr 21:42 SERIE A - Fiorentina 1 - 2 Juventus - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 20:49 SERIE A - Fiorentina 0 - 1 Juventus - Half Time Result
- 24 Apr 16:00 SERIE A/ 14:00 KO – Full-time scores
- 24 Apr 14:49 SERIE A/ 14:00 BST Games – Halftime scores
- 23 Apr 20:43 SERIE A - Inter Milan 1-1 Udinese (Half Time)
- 23 Apr 19:15 INTER v UDINESE- Official Line Ups
- 23 Apr 11:29 JUVENTUS - Keen on Tourè and Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:52 JUVENTUS - André Gomes first choice in midfield
- 23 Apr 10:41 MILAN - El Ghazi could join rivals
- 23 Apr 10:33 LAZIO - Gabbiadini or Lapadula to replace Klose
- 23 Apr 09:33 ATALANTA - Cigarini wants to stay
- 23 Apr 09:14 INTER - Jovetic to stay
- 23 Apr 08:57 SERIE A - Roma v Napoli: Predicted Line Ups
- 23 Apr 08:08 INTER - Join the race with Juventus and Milan for Gabriel Jesus
- 22 Apr 14:01 INTER - £4m for Ansaldi
A regular starter in German NT, but not a fully one at Bayern Munich, German international attacking all-rounder Mario Götze's (24) future is in a great deal of uncertainty. While new manager Carlo Ancelotti seems willing to keep him, as long as he wants t
Attending his first press conference as Juventus player, 33 years old Brazilian star Dani Alves stated:
"I chose 23 as my number, same one as
Villarreal announced having extended their deals with former Italian international defensive all-rounder Daniele Bonera (35), until June 2017, an
Tottenham centre-back Jan Vertonghen has posted a message on Twitter welcoming new signing Victor Wanyama.
Welcome to Tottenham @V
French broadcast InfoSportPlus, as reported below, posted a tweet including Olympique Lyon owner Jean-Michel Aulas' latest statements, regard
Coming back from his loan at Grasshoppers, Swiss Under-19 international goalkeeper Gregor Kobel (18) had his own deal with Hoffenheim offici