BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I feel very valued"
20.07.2012 09.49 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
This Thursday, Javier Mascherano said that his contract renewal with Barça “is well on its way.” The Argentine added that “it’s a topic that my representative is handling, but I’m in the best possible situation to renew my contract. I feel very valued by Barça, I’m very happy, and I want to continue with FC Barcelona for many years.” In addition, the player also talked about the economic sacrifice he made when he first signed with the Club: “it was the best decision I ever made in my life, because otherwise it wouldn’t have been possible to achieve everything I have.”
Barça’s number 14 explained that one of the most important things he’s learned while at Can Barça is that “training hard and taking advantage of the time I’m given on the pitch is important.” He added that “when you’re in a big team and when that big chance comes along you have to take it and not let it slip away.” Mascherano also noted that he believes he’s won the confidence of the manager and his teammates, but he’s aware that “not everything is done, I have to maintain that confidence.”
Center defender, the position he feels most comfortable in
Mascherano admitted that playing center back for FC Barcelona is a position that comes naturally to him. “This doesn’t mean that I won’t play in another position if the boss tells me to,” he added. On the possibility that the Club might bring in an additional center back for the upcoming 2012/13 season, the Argentine said that “this is Barça and it’s always necessary to bring in players to maintain the competition. The Club looks for players that can add something to the team. One can’t be dilute himself by thinking that new players aren’t necessary if everything is going well.”
After a couple of days with Tito Vilanova at the helm, the Barça player said that he sees no personal change in the former assistant manager’s behaviour, “he’s as calm and tranquil as ever.” He added, “it’s obvious that we all have to adjust to the change. However, I don’t think the change will be drastic, because everything we’ve been doing in recent years with Pep was agreed with Tito.”
“We’re all starting over”
Mascherano admitted that he still thinks about last year’s Champions League semi-final: “I believe that were were very superior to Chelsea over the 180 minutes of the tie. But that’s football, a lot of times you don’t get what you deserve.” On this year’s edition of the continental tournament, Mascherano is convinced that Real Madrid “will be one of the big challengers,” but he cautioned that every team is starting over and that “we have to respect all of our opponents.” Whatever happens, according to the Argentine, Barça’s players “must focus on their behaviour in order to be able to compete at the highest level on the pitch.”
“Villa will be tremendously helpful”
The Argentine talked about one of the players that missed most of 2011/12 season, David Villa, as well as two other players that have been linked to FC Barcelona in the press, Agger and Javi Martínez. On the Azulgrana striker, Mascherano said “he’s feeling much better,” and that he’s convinced that “Villa will be back to full form in short order and that he’ll help us a lot this season.” On Agger, Mascherano said that “he’s a great player, a very good center back that can play the ball.” Finally, when asked about Javi Martínez, the Argentine said that “we’ve gone through similar situations and now he can play in the center back position. No one doubts his quality.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 10 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We believe in our team"
- 08 Mar 06:19 REAL SOCIEDAD, Vela: "Arsenal? I am happy here"
- 07 Mar 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartra: "I am ready to become Puyol's heir"
- 06 Mar 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I know who will replace Valdes"
- 05 Mar 06:15 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: "I wouldn't mind moving to the US"
- 04 Mar 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I will stay at least until 2017"
- 03 Mar 15:09 SPAIN, Villa: "Whenever you confront Italy, although is said to be friendly, it never is"
- 03 Mar 05:59 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Three Italian clubs after him, but.."
- 02 Mar 06:29 LEVANTE, Caparros turns out transfer rumours
- 01 Mar 06:19 CELTA, Luis Enrique: "Barça? I'm focused on my club"
- 28 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "We are all with Martino"
- 27 Feb 12:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "That was the perfect game Madrid's 'perfect game'"
- 27 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "I'm not thinking about another club"
- 26 Feb 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "City and Real? I'm focused on my club"
- 25 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Muniain: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 24 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Deulofeu will be important for this club"
- 23 Feb 09:59 VALLADOLID, Rossi: "I am happy here, but.."
- 22 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I want to end my career here"
- 21 Feb 06:19 MALAGA, El Hamdaoui: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 20 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Diego Costa will remain for a long time"
- 19 Feb 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Ac Milan? There is no favourite tonight"
- 19 Feb 10:16 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "City can cause you problems at any moment"
- 18 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "I am not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Feb 11:50 ATLETICO MADRID, Suarez: "Milan have a great tradition in this competition"
- 16 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois's father: "I will talk with Atletico in one month"
- 15 Feb 07:27 OM, Anigo: "Valbuena could leave"
- 14 Feb 06:00 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I imagine myself at Inter"
- 13 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is not for sale"
- 12 Feb 06:00 VILLARREAL, Farinos announces his retirement
- 11 Feb 19:30 BARCELONA, Barca chief coy on Messi deal
- 11 Feb 18:16 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I owe nearly everything to Wenger"
- 11 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Isco unhappy? His moment will come"
- 10 Feb 13:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Martino: "Rakitic has got potential and qualities for playing for Barça
- 08 Feb 06:00 ATHLETIC, Herrera: "None of us wants to leave"
- 07 Feb 12:15 REAL MADRID, Referee who sent off Ronaldo at Bilbao is suspended for a month
- 07 Feb 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Not fascinated by the Serie A"
- 06 Feb 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "The great clubs know that I won't move"
- 05 Feb 06:00 REAL, CR7's agent: "He will end his career in Madrid"
- 04 Feb 06:00 MALAGA, Iakovenko: "The Liga is better than the Serie A"
- 01 Feb 09:29 ATLETICO, Diego: "Happy to be here"
- 31 Jan 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "I am not leaving"
- 30 Jan 07:00 BETIS, Adan: "Happy to be here"
- 29 Jan 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Back to Chelsea, only if.."
- 28 Jan 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to remain for a long time"
- 27 Jan 06:00 VALENCIA, Vargas: "Happy to be here"
- 26 Jan 06:29 BARCELONA, Messi's father: "Don't know anything about PSG"
- 25 Jan 06:00 BETIS, Vadillo's agent: "Some Italian clubs after him"
- 23 Jan 18:30 BARCELONA, Puyol injury confirmed as bruising
- 23 Jan 16:44 BARCELONA, To announce EGM - Rosell set to resign
- 23 Jan 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno's agent: "Napoli's first offer has been refused"
- 11 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "I hope to stay"
- 10 Mar 23:37 USA/ OFFICIAL, Djalò joins San Jose
- 10 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Offer for Hernandez ready
- 10 Mar 22:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ain fire Sanchez-Flores
- 10 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Baumgartner closer
- 10 Mar 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL, Courtois could join in 2015
- 10 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shea back to Stoke City
- 10 Mar 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin likely to renew
- 10 Mar 21:17 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Spalletti risks to be fired
- 10 Mar 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabiot's renewal farther
- 10 Mar 20:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL. Contreras joins Gimnasia
- 10 Mar 20:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Pedro could renew
- 10 Mar 20:00 FRANCE/ OM, Lopez likely to renew
- 10 Mar 19:45 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Sprint for Zivkovic
- 10 Mar 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Hasi is Anderlecht new coach
- 10 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sommer will play for Borussia M.
- 10 Mar 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain warns Bayern Munich
- 10 Mar 18:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola warning for Arsenal
- 10 Mar 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zapata: "I think in the Champions we’ve been very compact and solid"
- 10 Mar 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sampdoria, Ceo Sagramola quits
- 10 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos hints at Premier switch
- 10 Mar 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I think we're also negotiating with Palacio"
- 10 Mar 17:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva: "Market? I'm happy in Paris"
- 10 Mar 17:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Contra is Getafe new coach
- 10 Mar 16:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN LEVERKUSEN, Hegeler out
- 10 Mar 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe: Julio Cesar Jacobi the new goalie
- 10 Mar 16:16 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pochettino wants Quagliarella at Southampton
- 10 Mar 16:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Anderlecht: axed the coach van den Brom
- 10 Mar 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE,
- 10 Mar 15:22 FRANCE/ LYON, Lacazette rejects Liverpool
- 10 Mar 15:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Kurzawa dreaming Manchester United
- 10 Mar 14:15 INTER, Zanetti: "Important to move forward together with Inter"
- 10 Mar 14:03 AC MILAN, Galliani: "Balotelli has a slight pain which I think he can cope with"
- 10 Mar 13:44 INTER, Fassone: "The president envisages a very balanced side, Mazzarri is a sure thing"
- 10 Mar 13:30 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Keen on Stiepermann
- 10 Mar 13:15 GREECE/ OLYMPIAKOS, Joel Campbell set to get back to Arsenal
- 10 Mar 13:00 ITALY/ INTER, Move for Bonaventura
- 10 Mar 12:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Eyes on Farfán
- 10 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are in good mind, we have a chance against Bayern"
- 10 Mar 12:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ogbonna won't leave
- 10 Mar 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Moving nearer Chicharito
- 10 Mar 11:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Duel to AC Milan for Alex
- 10 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to English rivals for Barkley
- 10 Mar 11:15 ITALY/ LAZIO, One more Premier League suitor for Onazi
- 10 Mar 11:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He looks regenerated, goal was important"
- 10 Mar 10:45 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Survey on Mathieu
- 10 Mar 10:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Survey on Widmer
- 10 Mar 10:19 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Vermaelen quiet on future
- 10 Mar 10:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 27 million euros needed for purchasing Morata
- 10 Mar 10:00 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Scouting Astori
Bayern Munich cannot afford to be complacent against Arsenal in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 clash on Tuesday night, coach Pep Guardiola has warned.
"Winning 2-0 in London was a very good result for us, but it is also dangerous," said...
Interviewed by Sky Sport 24, Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has declared: "Ending my career at Juve? I hope so, I will be 30 in...
Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela has declared: "Arsenal is a great club that has given me the opportunity to play in Europe. I will always...
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, talking about Everton success, Champions League and FA Cup, declared: "It was important for us to...
Werder Bremen Sports Director Thomas Eichin has declared about 25 year old left back Santiago Garcia, actually on loan from Rangers de Talca:...
Interviewed by Canal +, OM Sports Director and caretaker manager Jose Anigo has declared about the possibility to sign the former Swansea coach...