LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 15.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 Jul 14:44 ARSENAL - Wenger: "With Per being out, we are a bit short"
- 26 Jul 21:01 NEWCASTLE - Tiote in talks with Al Jazira
- 26 Jul 20:00 ARSENAL - Wenger about Holding: "He’s a young, promising centre back"
- 26 Jul 18:33 LEICESTER are looking to sign Bartosz Kapustka
- 26 Jul 16:18 ARSENAL - Mertesacker out for up to five months
- 25 Jul 18:48 ARSENAL - Mertesacker not taking part into US tour
- 25 Jul 14:03 MARSEILLE - In talks with SWANSEA on Bafetimbi Gomis
- 24 Jul 23:05 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "Our target is to win the Premier League"
- 23 Jul 21:17 SWANSEA keen on Joe Allen
- 22 Jul 19:45 STEVE BRUCE to replace Allardyce at Sunderland
- 22 Jul 19:13 LIVERPOOL sign Alex Manninger
- 22 Jul 12:29 CHELSEA midfielder Christensen wants first-team play
- 22 Jul 12:00 CHELSEA win 8-0 in a friendly with local team
- 21 Jul 22:30 CHELSEA - Conte: "I want to make the fans proud of us"
- 21 Jul 20:32 LEICESTER have rejected bid for Jeffrey Schlupp
- 21 Jul 18:46 OFFICIAL - WIMMER extends deal with TOTTENHAM
- 20 Jul 22:33 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte reveals the name of his new forward
- 20 Jul 17:30 LEICESTER CITY - Cicinho: "Ranieri was lucky to win Premier"
- 20 Jul 15:45 STOKE CITY interested in signing Ecuadorian striker Angulo
- 20 Jul 10:00 NEWCASTLE agree Hanley fee
- 19 Jul 22:02 WATFORD are looking to sign Djedje
- 19 Jul 20:01 NEWCASTLE - Georginio Wijnaldum wants to play for Liverpool
- 19 Jul 19:09 STOKE CITY are looking to sign Saido Berahino
- 19 Jul 17:04 CHELSEA have shown interest in Marco Parolo
- 19 Jul 14:14 NEWCASTLE - Sissoko: "My priority is to stay in England, but..."
- 18 Jul 14:31 LIVERPOOL - Joe Allen linked with MAN UTD
- 18 Jul 14:02 EVERTON close to sign William Carvalho
- 18 Jul 11:31 WEST HAM and LEICESTER want Wissam Ben Yedder
- 16 Jul 22:31 MAN CITY have shown interest in Jeroen Zoet
- 16 Jul 20:08 WEST HAM - Sakho refuses to go on pre-season tour
- 16 Jul 19:07 SPURS show interest on MARSEILLE winger N'KOUDOU
- 16 Jul 12:37 STOKE CITY, Shaqiri: "A move to DORTMUND? Not a chance, i'm staying with Potters"
- 14 Jul 19:44 OFFICIAL - Ben Mee extends for BURNLEY
- 13 Jul 12:13 SOUTHAMPTON - Davis appointed as the club's new Football Development Executive
- 13 Jul 09:20 BREAKING NEWS - Allardyce interviewed for England job
- 12 Jul 18:17 MANCHESTER UNITED star Rooney looking forward to next season
- 12 Jul 16:06 OFFICIAL - Potters' veteran Whelan extends for STOKE CITY
- 12 Jul 15:34 OFFICIAL - Ryan BERTRAND extends long-term for Southampton
- 12 Jul 14:15 ARSENAL - Ultimatum for Thierry Henry
- 11 Jul 20:23 SWANSEA CITY sign with young George Byers
- 11 Jul 18:51 LIVERPOOL - Benteke wants to stay at Liverpool
- 08 Jul 14:21 OFFICIAL - SWANSEA gives a three-years-extension to Adam King
- 08 Jul 13:00 LIVERPOOL - Klopp about his renewal: "We are very much at the start of our journey"
- 05 Jul 17:59 ARSENAL - Wenger: "Brexit will impact on Premier League in long term"
- 02 Jul 17:42 OFFICIAL - GIGGS leaves UNITED after 29 seasons
- 01 Jul 22:17 OFFICIAL - 2 youngsters extend for Chelsea
- 24 Jun 10:26 TOTTENHAM defender Vertonghen welcomes Wanyama
- 18 Jun 20:05 OFFICIAL - Davis extends for Southampton
- 16 Jun 17:58 LEICESTER - Simpson: "We want to improve next season"
- 16 Jun 17:31 BURNLEY to face RANGERS in friendly match
- 15 Jun 21:15 SOUTHAMPTON - Frank De Boer close to become new manager
- 15 Jun 18:00 CHELSEA, Pedro: "I'd like to end my career at Barça"
- 14 Jun 17:16 LEICESTER defender Wasilewski signed a new contract
- 13 Jun 16:30 LEICESTER CITY, Simpson: "I told Vardy he should stay. No money can buy our bond, it's a special group"
- 13 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA, Hazard: "My last season was a failure, and I'm staying put. Conte? Happy to play against him"
- 12 Jun 15:34 WATFORD - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:42 WBA - Three players have been released
- 12 Jun 14:22 NORWICH - Eight players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:46 SWANSEA - Nine players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:20 SUNDERLAND - Seven players have been released
- 12 Jun 13:04 STOKE CITY - Eight players have been released
- 10 Jun 17:14 ARSENAL - Wenger: "I admire and like N'Golo Kante a lot"
- 09 Jun 20:43 ENGLAND - Hart: "I fully believe in the guys we have got"
- 09 Jun 14:36 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford: "It doesn't seem real"
- 09 Jun 14:09 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Rooney has been England's best"
- 08 Jun 15:48 ENGLAND - Lallana: "Important to get a good start"
- 07 Jun 18:48 ENGLAND - Sturridge: "Age not an issue at Euro 2016"
- 07 Jun 16:58 ENGLAND - Kane: "Vardy and I kept the faith"
- 06 Jun 17:16 ENGLAND - Milner: "We need to win our first game"
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
Set to leave Liverpool on a full basis, due to Jurgen Klopp's decision, almost 26 years old former Italian international striker Mario Balotelli has been heavily linked to Besiktas. Turkish club chairman, Fikret Orman, talked about that to Fanatik:
"Mario Balotelli is
Brazilian defender Joao Miranda spoke to journalists at the end of the Nerazzurri's training session at Montclair State University.
Barcelona’s latest signing Andre Gomes has been speaking about his aspirations following his switch from Valencia to the Nou Camp.
Arsenal need an experienced centre-back, with Per Mertesacker facing several months out with injury, Arsene Wenger has said: "We have to look for
Interviewed by L'Equipe and asked about 29 years old French international defensive midfielder Blaise Matuidi's future, PSG manager
Currently on a deal with Palermo until June 2018, Swiss right-back Michel Morganella (27), according to Sky Sport Italia, has been targeted