LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 17 May 13:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Flamini: "We need to win for building a mentality and for the fans"
- 31 Jul 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE; Ben Arfa's agent: "
- 31 Jul 18:07 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Majestic offer for defeating Arsenal on Douglas Costa's pursue
- 31 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ INTER, Bacca: "I'm happy in Sevilla"
- 31 Jul 17:44 BRAZIL/ SAO PAOLO, Pato: "'ve received several offers"
- 31 Jul 17:28 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho confirms Torres will stay
- 31 Jul 17:13 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham: Rose signing of a new five-year contract
- 31 Jul 16:58 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Prcic joins Rennes
- 31 Jul 16:41 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Silenzi Jr. joins Inter
- 31 Jul 16:14 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Keen on Cerci
- 31 Jul 16:05 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart defeat Arsenal: arrives Spanoudakis
- 31 Jul 15:55 ITALY/ INTER, Medel always closer, continue talks
- 31 Jul 15:46 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rayo Vallecano sign Kakuta from Chelsea
- 31 Jul 15:37 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, 25 mlns for Miranda
- 31 Jul 15:28 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Valencia sign Yoel
- 31 Jul 15:13 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, £4m for Eric Dier
- 31 Jul 15:00 FRANCE/ MONACO, Ready 65 millions for two players of Shakhtar
- 31 Jul 14:50 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Sevilla agree with Olympiacos for Botia
- 31 Jul 14:41 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Roco joins Elche
- 31 Jul 14:33 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, insist on Destro
- 31 Jul 14:24 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Jackson Martinez can extends
- 31 Jul 14:14 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Chievo sign Izco
- 31 Jul 14:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, André Ayew among the fron-line main targets
- 31 Jul 13:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Suggestion for Radu
- 31 Jul 13:30 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Move for Hangeland ready
- 31 Jul 13:15 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Price is set for Sandro: Napoli await
- 31 Jul 13:00 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Yepes will join on August 3
- 31 Jul 12:45 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Renewal offered to Insigne
- 31 Jul 12:30 ARSENAL & MANCHESTER UNITED, From Portugal: Final duel for William Carvalho
- 31 Jul 12:15 INDIA/ NORTH EAST UNITED, Capdevila set to join
- 31 Jul 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Meeting with Empoli for Laxalt's new outloan
- 31 Jul 11:45 ARGENTINA/ ARSENAL, Planning a move for Moiraghi
- 31 Jul 11:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, 4 million pounds move for Carlos Sanchez
- 31 Jul 11:20 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Djourou about Behrami: "He does always his best"
- 31 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Marchetti
- 31 Jul 11:04 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Sevilla don't give up on Dzemaili
- 31 Jul 11:00 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Criscito's agent: "AC Milan wanted him, but couldn't afford his signing"
- 31 Jul 10:45 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Almost done for Bergessio
- 31 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Medicals for Iago Falqué
- 31 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New offer for Shaqiri ready
- 31 Jul 10:00 ITALY/ INTER, 4 suitors for Schelotto
- 31 Jul 09:45 INDIA/ PUNE FC, Trezeguet set to join in October
- 31 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Approaching Ben Arfa
- 31 Jul 09:15 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Keen on Obiang
- 31 Jul 09:00 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Jeffren
- 31 Jul 08:45 USA/ OFFICIAL, NY sign Perrinelle
- 31 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ INTER, Agreement for Osvaldo
- 31 Jul 08:15 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Rennes sign Brüls
- 31 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Diarra
- 31 Jul 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bertrand joins Southampton
- 31 Jul 07:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Kehl no longer the team's captain
Approached hard by Arsenal management during latest days, Brazilian half-forward Douglas Costa (24), according to latest rumours reported by several media and highlighted by Transfermarkt.de, as confirmed by our sources, is now the main focus for AS Monaco, whose management are r
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has declared about 27-year-old midfielder Arturo Vidal: "He has never been on the m
Barcelona new midfielder Ivan Rakitic has declared about his team-mate Xavi: "It’s great news that he’s staying here. He’s a cl
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has declared: "The future, only god knows. There is competition here and I will continue to work hard
Interviewed by La Voix du Nord, Lille center back Simon Kjaer has declared: "It has always been clear in my head, and I even told the coach at th