LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 14.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 10 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We are in good mind, we have a chance against Bayern"
- 10 Mar 11:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He looks regenerated, goal was important"
- 10 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Arteta: "FA Cup is a great opportunity for us"
- 10 Mar 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "A quality performance against Everton. Giroud made a difference"
- 10 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Aguero won't leave"
- 09 Mar 06:59 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "I want to keep Ireland"
- 08 Mar 18:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Mertesacker: "Per gives everything for the club"
- 08 Mar 15:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "He could still play World Cup"
- 08 Mar 12:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Gibbs: "We'll need to take them seriously"
- 08 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger: "Doubt on Koscielny"
- 08 Mar 06:39 WEST BROMWICH, Mel: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 07 Mar 06:30 SUNDERLAND, Alonso: "I am happy here, but.."
- 06 Mar 20:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Chile was a tough opponent for German NT. It's vital for us to get all fit for World Cup"
- 06 Mar 19:15 ARSENAL, Flamini: "We've been looking for a title song"
- 06 Mar 17:45 ARSENAL, Vermaelen on Rosicky: "He's technically almost perfect, I'm happy he renewed"
- 06 Mar 16:30 ARSENAL, Medical report on Jack Wilshere: 6 weeks out
- 06 Mar 06:15 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 05 Mar 16:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Youth team can go all the way"
- 05 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Suarez: "I want to stay in any case"
- 04 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky about renewal: "Proud to be still here after many years, it's the right place for me"
- 04 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after renewal: "It's lovely here, it was easy for me to commit to the club"
- 04 Mar 13:30 ARSENAL, Per: "I try to be a positive influence"
- 04 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "This is the right place for me"
- 04 Mar 10:14 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "Luis Suarez is an absolute genius"
- 04 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Yes, we are after Griezmann"
- 03 Mar 06:19 NORWICH, Hughton: "No fear for my future"
- 02 Mar 06:59 ARSENAL, Sagna: "Why leave?"
- 01 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Liverpool might surprise us all and win Premier League"
- 01 Mar 10:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Stoke City will be very aggressive against us"
- 01 Mar 06:39 STOKE CITY, Hughes: "We are interested in Olic"
- 01 Mar 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Let's judge Premier League clubs after Champions eighth finals second leg"
- 28 Feb 19:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Premier League is still the best one"
- 28 Feb 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen can play on the left back against Stoke"
- 28 Feb 06:57 OL, Aulas: "Napoli will be back for Gonalons"
- 28 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Evra: "I love this club.."
- 27 Feb 11:15 CHELSEA, Eto'o: "Is not over yet"
- 27 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "One day I could move back to Inter"
- 26 Feb 06:19 ARSENAL, Arteta: "My age is only a number"
- 25 Feb 14:44 CHELSEA, Cech: "It's a new situation to face Drogba"
- 25 Feb 06:15 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Back to Koln? I can't exclude it"
- 24 Feb 06:19 MAN. CITY, Lescott: "I am about to leave"
- 23 Feb 10:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Fabianski wants to leave, but.."
- 23 Feb 09:00 ARSENAL, Flamini on Ozil: "He's one of my closest friends, everyone is happy with having him here"
- 23 Feb 07:29 ARSENAL, Wenger on squad members in victory over Sunderland: "Arteta is so intelligent, Giroud has got great psychological force"
- 23 Feb 04:57 ARSENAL, Arteta: "It's gonna be tough for us from now on"
- 23 Feb 01:57 ARSENAL, Sagna: "Criticisms on Ozil have been too harsh"
- 23 Feb 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on success over Sunderland: "We answered to frustration"
- 22 Feb 10:57 ARSENAL v SUNDERLAND, Special Preview - Wenger on Sanogo: "He's passionate and ready to fight"
- 22 Feb 09:59 ARSENAL v SUNDERLAND, Special Preview - Wenger: "Everybody can miss penalties, Ozil apologized"
- 11 Mar 12:45 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA D., Sahin on permanent deal
- 11 Mar 12:40 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve: eyes on Ranocchia
- 11 Mar 12:16 SWITZERLAND/ EXCLUSIVE TMW -Fabianski for the after Sommer
- 11 Mar 12:01 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Martino and Messi for so long in blaugrana"
- 11 Mar 11:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Valdes admits English lure
- 11 Mar 11:30 JUENTUS, Chiellini hails Scirea legacy
- 11 Mar 11:15 BELGIUM/ FEYENOORD, Pellè is for sale
- 11 Mar 10:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Valladolid drop Patrick Ebert legal case
- 11 Mar 10:42 FRANCE/ PSG, Offered a new contract to Rabiot
- 11 Mar 10:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Jack Rodwell can come back
- 11 Mar 10:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger fears red mist ahead of Gunners clash with Bayern"
- 11 Mar 09:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Increas suitors for Alvaro Morata
- 11 Mar 09:44 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Zenit: axed Spalletti
- 11 Mar 09:28 ITALY/ JUVE, Pirlo extends until 2017
- 11 Mar 08:15 ITALY/ TORINO, Idea Acuna
- 11 Mar 08:00 USA/ OFFICIAL, Johnson renews for Portland
- 11 Mar 07:40 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Redmond remains at Carlisle
- 11 Mar 07:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Season over for Strootman
- 11 Mar 06:57 RENNES, Alessandrini: "I dream to play for OM"
- 11 Mar 06:39 WOLFSBURG, Luiz Gustavo: "I'm happy here"
- 11 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "My future is in doubt"
- 11 Mar 06:00 ATLETICO/ Courtois: "False news about myself"
- 11 Mar 00:00 JUVENTUS, Chiellini: "I hope to stay"
- 10 Mar 23:37 USA/ OFFICIAL, Djalò joins San Jose
- 10 Mar 23:17 ITALY/ INTER, Offer for Hernandez ready
- 10 Mar 22:59 UAE/ OFFICIAL, Al-Ain fire Sanchez-Flores
- 10 Mar 22:39 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Baumgartner closer
- 10 Mar 22:20 SPAIN/ REAL, Courtois could join in 2015
- 10 Mar 22:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shea back to Stoke City
- 10 Mar 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Guarin likely to renew
- 10 Mar 21:17 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Spalletti risks to be fired
- 10 Mar 20:59 FRANCE/ PSG, Rabiot's renewal farther
- 10 Mar 20:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL. Contreras joins Gimnasia
- 10 Mar 20:20 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Pedro could renew
- 10 Mar 20:00 FRANCE/ OM, Lopez likely to renew
- 10 Mar 19:45 HOLLAND/ AJAX, Sprint for Zivkovic
- 10 Mar 19:30 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Hasi is Anderlecht new coach
- 10 Mar 19:15 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Sommer will play for Borussia M.
- 10 Mar 19:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain warns Bayern Munich
- 10 Mar 18:44 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Guardiola warning for Arsenal
- 10 Mar 18:31 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Zapata: "I think in the Champions we’ve been very compact and solid"
- 10 Mar 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Sampdoria, Ceo Sagramola quits
- 10 Mar 18:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Kroos hints at Premier switch
- 10 Mar 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Thohir: "I think we're also negotiating with Palacio"
- 10 Mar 17:30 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Silva: "Market? I'm happy in Paris"
- 10 Mar 17:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Contra is Getafe new coach
- 10 Mar 16:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN LEVERKUSEN, Hegeler out
- 10 Mar 16:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe: Julio Cesar Jacobi the new goalie
- 10 Mar 16:16 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pochettino wants Quagliarella at Southampton
- 10 Mar 16:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Anderlecht: axed the coach van den Brom
Bayern Munich cannot afford to be complacent against Arsenal in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 clash on Tuesday night, coach Pep Guardiola has warned.
"Winning 2-0 in London was a very good result for us, but it is also dangerous," said...
At the launch of his new book on Gaetano Scirea, “C’è un angelo bianconero” (There’s a Bianconeri Angel), Giorgio...
Interviewed by AS, Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, actually on loan at Atletico de Madrid, has declared about the possibility to join Real...
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, talking about Everton success, Champions League and FA Cup, declared: "It was important for us to...
To Fifa.com, the midfielder of Wolfsburg Luiz Gustavo has spoken about his future.
"It’s always nice when big clubs are...
Interviewed by Canal Football Club, Rennes midfielder Rennes Alessandrini has declared: "As all the players, I dream to play for a great...