LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 15.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Aug 21:18 TOTTENHAM - Eriksen: "Janssen and Kane have a good partnership"
- 23 Aug 19:55 OFFICIAL - WEST HAM winger Martin Samuelsen signs new contract
- 23 Aug 19:18 WEST HAM - Reece Burke signs a new four-year deal with club
- 23 Aug 19:03 BURNLEY striker Andre Gray charged by FA over homophobic tweets
- 23 Aug 18:55 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We want KONE to stay put. Mawson and Manquillo? We are interested in them"
- 23 Aug 17:16 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We put a smile back on French people's faces at Euro 2016"
- 23 Aug 11:34 ARSENAL have shown interest in Diogo Goncalves
- 23 Aug 10:06 MAN UNITED - Sam Johnstone: "I’ve got one of the best goalkeepers in the world ahead of me but..."
- 23 Aug 09:05 EVERTON are keen on the signing of Lucas Perez Martinez
- 23 Aug 08:34 WEST HAM - Reece Burke: "I want to build on that experience"
- 22 Aug 14:42 STOKE CITY - An English and a Dutch suitors on Potters wonderkid VERLINDEN
- 22 Aug 12:03 TOTTENHAM have shown interest in Andriy Yarmolenko
- 22 Aug 11:32 ARSENAL - Takuma Asano hasn't been confered work permit
- 22 Aug 11:04 WEST BROM are looking to sign SOUTHAMPTON Jay Rodriguez
- 22 Aug 09:47 SUNDERLAND, Moyes: "We are working hard"
- 21 Aug 13:03 CHELSEA, Conte: "We need to sign a defender"
- 21 Aug 09:29 CRYSTAL PALACE signing Benteke believes Klopp did not trust him
- 21 Aug 09:00 WEST BROM, Pulis: "Chinese owners will give us money to bring players in"
- 20 Aug 13:33 OFFICIAL - Ben Gibson pens new deal with MIDDLESBROUGH
- 20 Aug 12:34 MAN UNITED - Mourinho explains why Fellaini improved under him
- 20 Aug 11:01 MAN UNITED - Ibrahimovic: "We need to get used to winning: mental part is always important"
- 20 Aug 09:32 MAN UNITED - Mourinho on Pogba's debut: "He was fantastic"
- 20 Aug 07:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho hails incredible Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 19 Aug 22:31 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "I think we were a bit unlucky"
- 19 Aug 19:00 CHELSEA, Conte: “Watford a dangerous game: what we need to win”
- 19 Aug 18:33 CHELSEA, Conte: “I’m happy with Diego Costa’s attitude and behaviour”
- 19 Aug 18:06 CHELSEA, Conte: "I’ve a great respect for Watford coach Mazzari”
- 19 Aug 16:37 BURNLEY manager admits Defour might not be the last signing
- 19 Aug 09:07 LEICESTER CITY - Mahrez after the new deal: "I'm happy to continue here"
- 18 Aug 21:00 LEICESTER, Ranieri: "Mahrez told me he wanted to stay, I am pleased"
- 18 Aug 20:46 SWANSEA boss Guidolin confirms Bastòn won't feature against HULL CITY
- 18 Aug 20:29 BURNLEY manager admits he worked hard to sign Defour
- 18 Aug 19:03 LIVERPOOL handed boost over Mane injury scare
- 18 Aug 18:00 OFFICIAL - STOKE CITY loan two youngsters out
- 18 Aug 16:37 MAN UNITED - Nani: " I see Sir Alex Ferguson like a father"
- 18 Aug 15:30 SUNDERLAND, Januzaj: "I love playing for MOYES, he gives me freedom and confidence"
- 18 Aug 13:44 CHELSEA - Conte wants Eden Hazard to bulk up
- 18 Aug 13:26 EVERTON, Erwin Koeman: "Williams needed rest after Euros. Bolasie and him are enjoying working with us"
- 18 Aug 12:48 LIVERPOOL sign partnership deal with video game developer Konami
- 18 Aug 00:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Watching KOSCIELNY play is a joy for me"
- 17 Aug 19:59 WEST HAM - Andre Ayew to have scans on his thigh injury to determine the severity
- 17 Aug 19:12 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "There's no problem with José FONTE"
- 17 Aug 16:49 OFFICIAL - CLUCAS extends for HULL CITY
- 17 Aug 14:38 MANCHESTER UNITED not going to extend Rooney's contract
- 17 Aug 12:35 HULL CITY have shown interest in Benjamin Moukandjo
- 17 Aug 11:06 MAN CITY - Pep Guardiola: "Sterling has a lot of quality"
- 17 Aug 10:04 NEWCASTLE - Rafa Benitez: "We will be where we want to be at the end of the season"
- 17 Aug 09:33 CHELSEA - Cahill: "With Conte I've experienced one of the hardest pre-season ever"
- 17 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I'm helping Holding settling down"
- 16 Aug 17:04 EVERTON close to meet Moussa Sissoko's agent
- 16 Aug 16:01 TOTTENHAM announce Lloris will be out for 4 weeks
- 16 Aug 14:53 MANCHESTER UNITED - Jamie Redknapp: "Bailly is a very good defender"
- 16 Aug 12:34 CHELSEA - Antonio Conte target FC KOLN Jonas Hector
- 16 Aug 10:33 MANCHESTER CITY, Neville: "Joe Hart should stay"
- 16 Aug 09:16 WATFORD closing in on Pereyra move
- 16 Aug 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "Defeating Arsenal gives us a lot of confidence"
- 15 Aug 21:59 ARSENAL, Cech: "We were excellent in the first half, but Liverpool succeeded in damaging us afterwards"
- 15 Aug 18:44 CHELSEA loanee Traore made his debut for AJAX
- 15 Aug 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Mourinho: "Zlatan is at the top of his qualities"
- 15 Aug 12:22 MANCHESTER CITY - Guardiola: "I'm pretty sure Hart is unhappy"
- 15 Aug 11:34 BOURNEMOUTH - Smith: "We give it our all and that's all we can do"
- 15 Aug 11:06 PL / CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Predicted Line Ups
- 15 Aug 10:51 PL/ CHELSEA v WEST HAM - Team News
- 15 Aug 10:37 ARSENAL - Arsene Wenger: "We need players back"
- 15 Aug 09:31 LIVERPOOL defender Mamadou Sakho could move to BESIKTAS
- 14 Aug 19:26 MANCHESTER UNITED - Martial: "Ballon D'or is still far away with Messi and Ronaldo around"
- 14 Aug 16:38 CHELSEA, Lampard: "The Blues will be back challenging under Conte"
- 14 Aug 09:32 TOTTENHAM set talks over £19.5m deal
- 13 Aug 19:50 EVERTON, Koeman: "I hope we will sign two new players next week"
- 13 Aug 19:37 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "Maybe we'll bring in more players"
- 13 Aug 19:13 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 2-1 SUNDERLAND - Full Time
- 13 Aug 19:09 WEST BROM, Pulis: "Would be a suicide to let Berahino go"
- 13 Aug 18:57 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-1 SUNDERLAND - Livescore
- 13 Aug 18:48 SWANSEA, Guidolin: "A good win, I am confident for the future"
- 13 Aug 18:35 MIDDLESBROUGH, Karanka: "Negredo is a top player"
- 13 Aug 18:19 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-0 SUNDERLAND - Halftime
- 13 Aug 17:34 PL - MANCHESTER CITY 1-0 SUNDERLAND - Livescore
- 13 Aug 16:57 PL - MANCHESTER CITY v SUNDERLAND - Official Lineups
- 13 Aug 16:54 PREMIER LEAGUE - Fulltime Scores
- 13 Aug 16:51 INTER MILAN to consider Alexis Sanchez move
- 13 Aug 16:38 TOTTENHAM set to launch a £13m bid for SPORTING's Adrien Silva
- 13 Aug 16:05 WEST BROM set to sign Schlupp from LEICESTER
- 13 Aug 15:50 PREMIER LEAGUE - Halftime Scores
- 13 Aug 15:34 MANCHESTER UNITED boss Mourinho has no problems with Mata
- 13 Aug 14:41 WATFORD lining up move for CHELSEA star Kenedy
- 13 Aug 14:25 PL - HULL CITY 2-1 LEICESTER CITY - Full Time
- 13 Aug 13:45 PL - HULL CITY 2-1 LEICESTER CITY - Livescore
- 13 Aug 13:35 PL - HULL CITY 1-1 LEICESTER CITY - Livescore
- 13 Aug 13:17 PL - HULL CITY 1-0 LEICESTER CITY - Half Time
- 13 Aug 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Of course there's pressure on us. Big market spending is still vital, especially after Leicester"
- 13 Aug 11:38 PL - HULL CITY v LEICESTER CITY - Official Lineups
- 13 Aug 10:59 SUNDERLAND - David Moyes:"Januzaj needs to come and do the business"
- 13 Aug 10:00 LIVERPOOL, Klopp: "We'll fight for all competitions, everything is possible for us"
- 13 Aug 08:00 ARSENAL, Cech: "No matter how many times, I'm always excited before starting a season"
- 12 Aug 20:30 MANCHESTER CITY, Guardiola: "Stones is intelligent, and he's fit to play now. I want the boys to play soulfully"
- 12 Aug 19:31 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "I want to win the Premier League, Januzaj in my plans"
- 12 Aug 19:15 CHELSEA, Conte: "We have to think about the present to build a good future"
- 12 Aug 17:45 CHELSEA, Conte: "West Ham are a strong team, I am excited to start"
- 12 Aug 16:30 OFFICIAL - TADIC signed on a new contract by SOUTHAMPTON
- 12 Aug 16:01 LIVERPOOL - Mignolet: "I have to keep my head down and work hard"
Bayer Leverkusen announced having signed Austrian international centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic (25) from Dynamo Kyiv. Former FC Basel player joins German club on a deal lasting until June 2021.
#Bayer04 verpflichtet Aleksandar #Dragovic von Dynamo Kiew (25) f
Left Lazio as a free agent, after 5 seasons, French-Moroccan right-back and midfielder Abdoulay Konko (32) has officially joined Atalanta, o
Playing for FC Seville since 2013/14, therefore having lifted 3 Europa League trophies in a row as a Rojiblancos member, Argentinian centre-back&
Tottenham Hotspur creative midfielder Christen Eriksen has told the Mirror that new Spurs forward Vincent Janssen already has a good partnership with
Troyes announced having signed Malian Under-23 international striker Adama Niane (23) from Nantes, on a 2 season-long loan.
Bayer Leverkusen announced having signed Austrian international centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic (25) from Dynamo Kyiv. Former FC Basel player joi