LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 14.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 06:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 06:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 06:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 18:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 06:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 06:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 06:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 14:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 13:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 07:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 06:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 06:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 06:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 06:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 06:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 06:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 06:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 16:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 06:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 06:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 19:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 18:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 13:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 06:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 09:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 06:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 06:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 16:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 06:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 17:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 16:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 06:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 11:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 24 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ QPR, Duel to Italian and German rivals on Bonaventura
- 24 Jul 12:30 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Lead over Liverpool and Porto on Bakkali
- 24 Jul 12:15 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Michel
- 24 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Kiyotake about to be announced
- 24 Jul 11:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Real Madrid offer for El Shaarawy rejected
- 24 Jul 11:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Miranda joins Chievo Verona
- 24 Jul 11:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Surprise lead over Lazio on Astori
- 24 Jul 11:00 ITALY/ HELLAS VERONA, Eyes on Antonsson
- 24 Jul 10:45 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Zeman wants Galano
- 24 Jul 10:30 ITALY/ PARMA, Bellomo more and more likely to join
- 24 Jul 10:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Arsenal defeated: Loic Remy about to join
- 24 Jul 10:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Approaching Romero
- 24 Jul 09:45 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Agree £4million fee for midfielder Besic
- 24 Jul 09:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Pirlo weighs up Galatasaray transfer due to Allegri's presence
- 24 Jul 09:13 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Continue to track Raphael Varane.
- 24 Jul 08:55 ENGLAND/ QPR, plot Samuel Eto'o transfer
- 24 Jul 08:43 INTER, Vidic: "I settled here immediately"
- 24 Jul 08:31 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Agreement with Keylor Navas
- 24 Jul 08:14 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, moving for Villa defender Ron Vlaar
- 24 Jul 08:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Keen on Badelj
- 24 Jul 07:40 FRANCE/ MONACO, Gaitan about to join
- 24 Jul 07:17 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Herrera will keep on training the NT
- 24 Jul 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "Will I stay? Of course!"
- 24 Jul 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "We can't afford to sign Behrami"
- 24 Jul 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 24 Jul 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "I am happy here"
- 24 Jul 00:00 INTER, Botta's agent: "Many clubs are interested"
- 23 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Waiting for Eto'o's answer
- 23 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Newell's sign Scocco
- 23 Jul 22:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, New suitors for Robinho
- 23 Jul 22:39 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Boca sign Chávez
- 23 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ PSG, Milan's offer for Lavezzi refused
- 23 Jul 22:00 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Idea Hugo Almeida
- 23 Jul 21:37 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Osvaldo
- 23 Jul 21:17 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, PSG sign Aurier
- 23 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rodrigo joins Valencia
- 23 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, OL sign Jallet
- 23 Jul 20:20 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swap between Swansea and Tottenham
- 23 Jul 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cesena sign Zé Eduardo
- 23 Jul 19:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Djuricic joins Mainz
- 23 Jul 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOOR, Interest for El Hamdaoui
- 23 Jul 19:15 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Keen on Pastore
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
According to AS, Atletico Madrid have got the lead over both Liverpool and Porto on the chance to sign Belgian Under-21 international winger and forward Zakaria Bakkali (18) from PSV Eindhoven. 1996-born Moroccan-descented talent will leave Dutch club on an about 11 million...
After completing their first training session on US soil, Nemanja Vidic stopped to give their first thoughts on tour. And despite the jet-leg,...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Interviewed by Ovacion Digital, PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "My future? I am happy in Paris, and I really think that I will...