LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 14.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 24 Apr 00:00 LAZIO, Marchetti: "My future? We'll see.."
- 23 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Also Zenit after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 23:17 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Lead for Gourcuff
- 23 Apr 22:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Shakiri unlikely to join
- 23 Apr 22:39 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Still keen on Verratti
- 23 Apr 22:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Agazzi might be the key for signing Perin
- 23 Apr 22:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Roma make steps forward towards Vertonghen
- 23 Apr 21:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Willing to sign Darmian back
- 23 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ LAZIO, Biglia's agent: "Several clubs after him, but he's happy in Rome"
- 23 Apr 20:59 GERMANY/ HANNOVER 96, Approaching Karaman
- 23 Apr 20:39 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Bierofka quits and becomes Munich 1860 youth trainer
- 23 Apr 20:20 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, 2 Spanish Liga suitors for Carbonero
- 23 Apr 20:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Diouf offered by 2 Serie A clubs
- 23 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Bastos to Hannover?
- 23 Apr 19:30 ARGENTINA/ NEWELL'S OLD BOYS, Trezeguet's agent: "He dreams to end his own career in Italy"
- 23 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 19:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Agreement with Baumann
- 23 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Back for Vrsaljko
- 23 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Jardim about to renew
- 23 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly likely to join
- 23 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Sprint for Kim
- 23 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for M'Bia
- 23 Apr 17:20 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Also Hertha after Contento
- 23 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, English duo after Cuadrado
- 23 Apr 17:00 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Servette, Cantaluppi stays until the end of season
- 23 Apr 16:46 ITALY/ LAZIO, Tare tracking Ajeti of Basilea
- 23 Apr 16:33 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Demichelis: "I hope that I can end my career at River Plate"
- 23 Apr 16:18 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Also Aston Villa interested in Darder
- 23 Apr 15:59 JUVENTUS, 23-man travelling party for Benfica
- 23 Apr 15:44 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ameobi accuses Magpies chiefs of 'hurting' the club
- 23 Apr 15:31 CHELSEA, Cahill: "Respectful of how good and strong Atlético have been"
- 23 Apr 15:10 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Meeting with Djuricic's agent
- 23 Apr 14:49 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Sandro: "I'm happy here"
- 23 Apr 14:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Nürnberg: axed Verbeek
- 23 Apr 14:15 AC MILAN, Muntari: "We have to keep on doing well”
- 23 Apr 13:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Juve-Sanchez: here the details
- 23 Apr 13:43 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Man Utd: Scholes back to assist Giggs
- 23 Apr 13:32 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Calhanoglu is the first market target
- 23 Apr 13:16 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Tim Krul considering summer exit from St James' Park
- 23 Apr 13:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Allofs opens to Naldo renewal
- 23 Apr 12:44 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D, Kehl out for 2 weeks
- 23 Apr 12:33 ENGLAND/ BORUSSIA D., Liverpool observing Mkhitaryan
- 23 Apr 12:16 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Champions will change out market"
- 23 Apr 12:02 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Observing Jack Cork
- 23 Apr 11:46 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Eye on Eric Dier
- 23 Apr 11:34 ENGLAND/ CHELSA, Čech out for season
- 23 Apr 11:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 11:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio more and more inclined to leave
- 23 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to Napoli and Inter for Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:41 FIFA/ SPAIN, Barcelona appeal granted suspensive effect
According to latest rumours reported by Rai Sport, AC Milan management, through the existing pre-agreement with Italian goalkeeper Michael Agazzi (29), who will leave Chievo Verona after the end of current season and join Rossoneri, are willing to use him as a partial...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Lazio goalkeeper Federico Marchetti has declared: "Certain medias said that I wanted to leave in January, and I...
Club Atlético de Madrid's players were in philosophical mood following Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Chelsea FC, Filipe Luís...
Defender Gary Cahill told UEFA.com that Chelsea FC were beginning to dream of a possible UEFA Champions League final, now they are just a game...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....