LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "We'll be big and bold"
27.07.2012 16.00 by TM W
© foto di imago sportfotodienst
Steven Gerrard expects a bolder approach from Liverpool this season and is confident that a return to Champions League football can be secured.
The midfielder has only had a short amount of time to see Brendan Rodgers' methods at close quarters, but the 32-year-old is already anticipating a new-look Reds when the 2012-13 action begins.
"I think we'll definitely see a much bolder Liverpool team this season and more exciting too," Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo from the Reds' training camp in Boston. "But with a quick transition to ensure we're organised when we lose the ball."
Having been part of the first-team squad at Anfield since 1998, the captain is well-placed to assess where the Reds have fallen short in previous campaigns and how that can change under Rodgers.
He continued: "I think over the years, sometimes Liverpool have come up against certain types of opposition and we have shown them too much respect. But maybe we have had to because of the style we've been asked to play.
"There were times under previous managers when we did that, but I think this manager is the opposite, he wants us to play like a big team.
"There's a lot of hard work and a lot of learning to be done sharpish if we want to implement that straight away. In only my second training session here we were doing team shape and Brendan was telling players what he expects them to do movement wise, how he wants the team to do the transition when we lose the ball to win it back."
An eighth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League last season was deemed well below standard by Gerrard, who stressed his belief that the Reds can reclaim a place in the Champions League next year.
"I don't think a team has ever gone from eighth to first in one season but there are still other big targets for us to achieve - getting back into the top four is certainly the priority," added the No.8.
"I think we will get in the top four. I am confident we will get it. If we can play like we did in a lot of games last season, be clinical and take our chances, I think we will be high up in the table.
"The idea is to improve and have some fun along the way in the cup competitions like we did last year. It was difficult to make sense of it at times. There were times you would come off thinking 'no wonder we are sixth, seventh or eighth in the league' as we hadn't played well enough.
"But there were times when we murdered teams. We hadn't come off with what we deserved. It was frustrating but if you look at the season as a whole, you can't make excuses for finishing eighth. It wasn't good enough.
"We are Liverpool, we can't finish eighth. We have got to take the criticism for under-performing last year and put it right. We can't be doing post-match interviews saying 'we should have got the points or we were not clinical enough'. We have got to be clinical. We have got to get the points we should get."
Warming to his theme, Gerrard urged his teammates to use the frustration of the Reds' league form last season as a motivation to improve, with hard work the key.
"The players have got to think how I think and use the hurt of what happened to make up for last year. That is the only way you can do it," the skipper explained.
"I can't speak for anyone else but if they ask for my opinion I would tell them to be patient. Obviously I am biased but I think playing Champions League football for this club would be more special than anywhere else. If we work hard enough and perform well enough it will come."
Handed an extended rest following his exertions as England captain at Euro 2012, Gerrard joined the club's tour of North America and Canada late, but he has already been impressed by Rodgers' work.
He concluded: "The manager has been in touch with me from since he came in. I've had a lot of banter with text messages and quite a few calls throughout the Euros. He has made me aware of where he's at and what he's trying to do.
"Every time you speak to him you can't help but be impressed. He gives you a lift. His man-management skills are fantastic and if he can do that with all the players around the squad then it can be really good for the club.
"I've only seen him on the training ground for a few days, but as a guy how he's dealt with me on a personal level has been exceptional. I know the players who have worked with him over the past few weeks have been impressed."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 12 Aug 06:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Taarabt is not going to go cheap"
- 11 Aug 15:59 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Ready for title challenge"
- 11 Aug 06:15 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "We need a winger"
- 10 Aug 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin must honor his contract"
- 09 Aug 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "We are after Rojo"
- 08 Aug 12:32 ARSENAL, get Besiktas in Champions League
- 08 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We want to feel that winning sensation soon again"
- 08 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We conceded too much goals to top teams last season"
- 07 Aug 15:12 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The new players are giving us an extra spring"
- 07 Aug 01:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "I hope to stay here for many more years in the future"
- 06 Aug 06:39 MAN. UTD, Hernandez's agent turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Aug 19:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Sanchez is a fantastic player, we'll have a good understanding"
- 05 Aug 10:29 ARSENAL, Usmanov: "Gunners primed for new era of trophies and glory"
- 05 Aug 06:19 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "I hope to keep Vlaar"
- 04 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Vermaelen could leave"
- 03 Aug 09:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Maybe we don't need other players"
- 02 Aug 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Wickham will either renew or leave"
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 23 Aug 07:27 PSG, Pastore: "I will stay"
- 23 Aug 06:59 BAYERN, Rummenigge: "Borussia want to copy us"
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 23 Aug 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Cerci? We'll see"
- 22 Aug 23:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Tremoulinas will join Sevilla
- 22 Aug 23:17 ITALY/ AS ROMA, AC Milan's offer for Destro refused
- 22 Aug 22:59 UAE/ AL-WASL, Alfaro could come back
- 22 Aug 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Podolski
- 22 Aug 22:20 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, McLeish is Genk new coach
- 22 Aug 22:00 ITALY/ ROMA, 5 millions for Basa
- 22 Aug 21:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Toño quits Elche
- 22 Aug 21:30 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Ninis quits Parma
- 22 Aug 21:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Interest for Ninis
- 22 Aug 21:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED: Welbeck can leave, but not for joining a Premier League Top 6
- 22 Aug 20:48 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Suggestion for Romero
- 22 Aug 20:36 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, N'Diaye joins Real Betis again from Sunderland
- 22 Aug 20:24 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Pinto da Costa freezes AC Milan and AS Roma: "Jackson Martinez doesn't leave"
- 22 Aug 20:12 ENGLAND/ QPR, Attempt for Insigne failed: Napoli reject offer
- 22 Aug 20:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Approaching Federico Fazio
- 22 Aug 19:48 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Suggestion for Xabi Alonso
- 22 Aug 19:36 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover 96 sign Briand
- 22 Aug 19:24 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Keen on Rhodes
- 22 Aug 19:12 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, Neither Tottenham nor Juventus for Depay: renewal with PSV
- 22 Aug 19:00 BAYERN MUNICH & AS ROMA, Negotiations for Benatia ongoing: no call-up for AEK Athens friendly match
- 22 Aug 18:48 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Durmaz joins Olympiakos
- 22 Aug 18:36 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Attempt for Lacazette after having signed Cerci
- 22 Aug 18:24 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Doors closed to Juventus on Jovetic
- 22 Aug 18:12 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, 2 new rivals towards Stambouli: one tries the offer
- 22 Aug 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Fernando Torres offered to AC Milan
- 22 Aug 17:48 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Aboubakar more and more likely to join
- 22 Aug 17:36 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, WBA sign Samaras
- 22 Aug 17:24 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, A new Serie A top suitor for Podolski
- 22 Aug 17:07 ITALY/ ATALANTA, 2 Serie A pursuers for Consigli
- 22 Aug 16:52 ITALY/ PARMA, 2 new suitors for Paletta
- 22 Aug 16:33 FRANCE/ BORDEAUX, Plasil might join Italy back: 2 new suitors
- 22 Aug 16:14 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I don't speak until he signs"
- 22 Aug 16:08 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Arda Turan: "I'd like to play with Barça "
- 22 Aug 15:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Deportivo: Rudy leaves
- 22 Aug 15:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi: "Di Maria to Barcelona would be difficult"
- 22 Aug 15:14 FRANCE/ LILLE, Wolfsburg interested in Kalou
- 22 Aug 14:59 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin rumour has gone away"
- 22 Aug 14:55 ENGLAND, Rio Ferdinand dreams of managing England NT
- 22 Aug 14:46 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, Besiktas interested in Quintero
- 22 Aug 14:38 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "I am very pleased because Edin renewal"
- 22 Aug 14:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Swansea: sign Tom Carroll
- 22 Aug 13:06 HUNGARY/ OFFICIAL, Lazio icon Rocchi joins Haladas
- 22 Aug 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Observing Mitrovic
- 22 Aug 11:46 SPAIN/ BARCELLONA, Neymar in doubt for the first match
- 22 Aug 11:35 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Iturraspe for replace Javi Martinez
While Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal has referred to English international forward and winger Danny Welbeck (23) he can leave Red Devils, according to Daily Mirror, the club executives have clarified it can happen just if the player joins any club out of the Premier Lea
Torino president Urbano Cairo has declared: "The transfer market? We'll see with Galliani, we are happy even if Cerci will stay. If there wil
Sevilla coach Unai Emery has declared about 27-year-old center back Federico Fazio, intended to join Tottenham: "His departure could help the clu
Liverpool midfielder Lucas Pezzini Leiva has declared about the possibility to join Napoli: "I can never say never. Today my thoughts are wi
PSG attacking midfielder Javier Pastore has declared: "I hope to continue this way, football always gives you the chance to take revenge. Leaving
Interviewed by Bild, Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has declared about the possibility to sign AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia: "It would be gr