LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 17 May 13:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Flamini: "We need to win for building a mentality and for the fans"
- 17 May 08:29 TOTTENHAM, Adebayor: "Monaco? I have a contract"
- 16 May 13:45 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "Winning FA Cup can give us big boost. Fans have been amazing"
- 16 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Arteta waiting for the final: "This FA Cup is more than a trophy for us"
- 16 May 08:15 MAN. UTD, Ferdinand: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 28 Jul 21:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Estigarribia's agent negotiating return to Atalanta
- 28 Jul 21:39 FRANCE/ O.M., Eyes on Afellay
- 28 Jul 21:20 ITALY/ AC MILAN, A further European suitor for Robinho
- 28 Jul 21:00 ITALY/ CAGLIARI, Almunia might soon be joining
- 28 Jul 19:59 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Cassani joins Parma
- 28 Jul 19:44 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Granero joins Real Sociedad
- 28 Jul 19:32 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA, Monk: "No offer for Bony"
- 28 Jul 19:14 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "It looks like Drogba never left the club"
- 28 Jul 18:59 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Over and above individual prizes"
- 28 Jul 18:43 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Chasing Atlético Madrid winger Rodríguez
- 28 Jul 18:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Valbuena more and more likely to join
- 28 Jul 18:15 CSKA & DYNAMO, Moscow duel on Promes
- 28 Jul 18:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Criscito's agent: "AC Milan? No way, Zenit want to hold him"
- 28 Jul 17:51 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter: keen on Osvaldo
- 28 Jul 17:49 ITALY/ LAZIO, Confirmed Vrij purchase
- 28 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Julio Cesar about to join back Toronto FC
- 28 Jul 17:33 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm looking forward to joining up with my new team-mates "
- 28 Jul 17:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Ultimating details for signing Rabiot
- 28 Jul 17:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Besiktas' lead over Olympiakos on Bryan Ruiz
- 28 Jul 17:00 ENGLAND/ SOUTHAMPTON, Ready 15 mlns for Marco Rojo
- 28 Jul 16:45 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Breaking into Arsenal-United negotiation on Vermaelen
- 28 Jul 16:37 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal sign Calum Chambers
- 28 Jul 16:30 GERMANY/SCHALKE 04, Kirchhoff wants to stay for long time
- 28 Jul 16:15 DENMARK/ OFFICIAL, Copenhaghen sign Antonsson
- 28 Jul 16:05 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ospina: "This is a dream come true"
- 28 Jul 16:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Chicharito is the key for blazing AS Monaco on Guarin
- 28 Jul 15:44 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Bressan joins Cesena
- 28 Jul 15:29 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rayo Vallecano: Mojica sign a 4-year deal
- 28 Jul 15:15 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Monaco back for Romero: Sampdoria-Benfica pact at risk
- 28 Jul 15:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID: After Griezmann, Callejon is the new target. Duel to Chelsea and AS Monaco
- 28 Jul 14:45 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Back negotiating for signing Bergessio
- 28 Jul 14:30 POLAND/ LECH POZNAN, Tons of European suitors for Teodorczyk
- 28 Jul 14:19 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira switch back on
- 28 Jul 14:15 BARCELONA FC & MAN. UNITED, Final duel on Cuadrado
- 28 Jul 14:06 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Back to Italy? We'll see"
- 28 Jul 13:45 BRAZIL/ ATLETICO MINEIRO, Ronaldinho might resign soon
- 28 Jul 13:30 ITALY/ LAZIO, Back for De Maio if De Vrij doesn't join
- 28 Jul 13:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL,Wenger happy to take £11m gamble on Chambers
- 28 Jul 13:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - New Napoli-Kramer contact
- 28 Jul 12:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Suggestion for Quintero
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 12:31 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, This is Valdez day
- 28 Jul 12:14 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Dani Alves wants to stay despite Cuadrado
- 28 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Miranda the alternative to Marquinhos
- 28 Jul 11:49 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL. £8.5m move for Loic Remy was 'unfortunate'
- 28 Jul 11:44 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic staying with City"
- 28 Jul 11:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Atletico Madrid agree with Real Sociedad for Griezmann
- 28 Jul 11:14 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Torino: arrive Rizzo and Monni
- 28 Jul 10:58 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Tracking Basa
- 28 Jul 10:41 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Di Maria keen to join United
Already tracked by several Middle Eastern rich clubs, as well as by sides from his home country (among which Cruzeiro and Atletico Mineiro), Brazilian international forward Robinho (30), set to leave AC Milan on a full basis after 4 seasons, has been targeted by Olympiakos as wel
Interviewed by Cuatro TV, Inter Milan defender Hugo Armando Campagnaro has declared: "Roma? I don't know, I have one more year on my contract
Goal was present as he cut the tape to unveil his collection in Funchal, presenting him with an updated version of the 2012 trophy which is currently
Here he is! Colombian goalkeeper @D_Ospina1 in his new #Arsenal kit. More pictures: http://t.co/jWQoPgnSYi pic.twitter.com/m33jxG4wQT
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Federico Pastorello, agent of OM 24-year-old forward André Ayew, has declared: "We are talking about a good play