LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 16.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 21 Dec 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar and Delph won't move"
- 21 Dec 00:00 LIVERPOOL, Manquillo: "We'll try our best for winning Europa League"
- 20 Dec 19:30 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Last year's 5-1 defeat is a scar. We want to have continuity"
- 20 Dec 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 19 Dec 19:00 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "My first games allow me to play freely now"
- 19 Dec 16:00 LIVERPOOL v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Slight chance for Monreal, we have hopes on Ox"
- 19 Dec 06:29 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "No rush for my new contract"
- 18 Dec 06:00 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Experience taught me to speak properly to teammates"
- 17 Dec 16:13 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm used to switching roles"
- 17 Dec 00:38 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "I have played a few times at centre-back for Arsenal"
- 16 Dec 19:59 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Scoring against Newcastle has been the perfect way to celebrate my 30th"
- 16 Dec 11:12 ENGLAND, Henry announces retirement from football to join Sky Sports punditry team
- 16 Dec 06:19 QPR, Taarabt: "I miss Italy, I hope to come back soon"
- 15 Dec 18:30 ARSENAL, Flamini on victory over Newcastle: "We've got great quality, and needed to react after Stoke City mishap"
- 15 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We may sign a striker in January"
- 14 Dec 01:30 ARSENAL, Giroud after victory over Newcastle: "Showing a strong mental reaction was important"
- 13 Dec 16:00 ARSENAL, Campbell: "Playing well here is easy, since you're surrounded by good players"
- 13 Dec 13:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey will be out, Coquelin might be already lined up"
- 13 Dec 11:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Pardew praises Wenger: "The ones who disrespect him at the train station should be ashamed. He's done a marvellous job at Arsenal"
- 13 Dec 09:00 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Debuchy: "I can never thank Magpies enough. Their fans are amazing"
- 12 Dec 19:30 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Pardew has done great things at Newcastle. There's a permanent tribunal on football managers nowadays"
- 12 Dec 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will stay"
- 11 Dec 17:59 ARSENAL v NEWCASTLE, Preview - Wenger: "Still several defenders missing. Walcott is recovering, nothing true about Wilshere's setback"
- 11 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "Mirallas going nowhere"
- 10 Dec 12:45 ARSENAL, Ramsey on CL: "I told myself: why not have a go?"
- 10 Dec 10:51 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We substituted Ramsey as a precautionary measure"
- 10 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I as about to join Roma"
- 09 Dec 15:48 GALATASARAY v ARSENAL, CL Special Preview - Wenger reveals line-up: "Szczesny and Debuchy are back and will play"
- 09 Dec 06:29 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I would love to sign Borini"
- 08 Dec 00:00 MANCHESTER CITY, Pellegrini: "We'll soon know better about Aguero's injury"
- 07 Dec 06:59 QPR, Redknapp: "Difficult to take Austin in case of relegation"
- 06 Dec 15:00 ARSENAL, Giroud on Welbeck: "We are quite complementary. Playing together with such good player is easy"
- 06 Dec 12:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on Sanchez: "Alexis is a great guy, he'll soon need a break"
- 06 Dec 09:00 STOKE CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They've got a different style from ours. It's always tough against Potters"
- 06 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Hart will renew"
- 05 Dec 18:48 ARSENAL, Flamini on winning over Southampton: "A perfect game from us, I'm really proud of my teammates"
- 05 Dec 06:29 CHELSEA, Cech's agent: "No contacts with Roma"
- 04 Dec 12:48 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is here and will finish his career with us"
- 04 Dec 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Gerrard: "My future? I'll decide when I'm ready"
- 03 Dec 17:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We want to be competitive in every game"
- 03 Dec 16:15 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Cazorla is at his own top. I was pleased by our attitude in latest games"
- 03 Dec 14:45 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Wenger: "Small doubts on lining up Koscielny"
- 03 Dec 13:27 ARSENAL v SOUTHAMPTON, Special Preview - Chambers: "Facing my old club will be a bit weird. I owe a lot to Saints"
- 03 Dec 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "McCarthy will remain for a long time"
- 02 Dec 17:45 ARSENAL, Welbeck: "Thanks to Cazorla for my goal against WBA. Wenger has got a lot of options in the roster"
- 02 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Southampton: "They've got a great defensive stability. In March we'll know if they can be in Top 4"
- 02 Dec 06:29 SWANSEA, Monk: "Bony? We are not a selling club..."
- 01 Dec 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "No news about my future"
- 30 Nov 06:59 ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Delph could leave"
- 29 Nov 17:00 ARSENAL, Man of the match Cazorla on victory over WBA: "Important result, now we need to play the same way"
- 29 Nov 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "A few months ago I was the manager of the year..."
- 28 Nov 20:37 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger: "We need balance between attacking and defending. WBA's technical level is really good"
- 28 Nov 15:00 WBA v ARSENAL, Special Preview - Wenger on team news: "Szczesny out, Koscielny might start"
- 28 Nov 06:29 STOKE, Bojan: "Back to Barça? I can't close any door"
- 27 Nov 18:28 ARSENAL, Medical report on Wilshere: surgery done
- 26 Nov 18:02 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Chambers: "We'll heed Dortmund warning"
- 26 Nov 17:18 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "We know how it works with criticisms. I strongly believe in my players"
- 26 Nov 13:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Wenger: "Koscielny is back. I don't know if Welbeck starts"
- 26 Nov 11:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Ramsey: "Now I feel sharp again. Goals will come"
- 25 Nov 16:00 ARSENAL v BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Special CL Preview - Szczesny: "We need to be careful to their counter-attacking skills"
- 24 Nov 14:15 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We can defeat Dortmund at Emirates and qualify for CL final 16"
- 24 Nov 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "No offers for Cech"
- 23 Nov 06:59 SOTHAMPTON, Koeman: "Schneiderlin's future? We'll see,,"
- 23 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger after United failure: "We dominated for most of the game"
- 22 Nov 06:59 SWANSEA, Monk: "We are seeking a forward"
- 21 Nov 06:19 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "I have asked Khedira to join me"
- 20 Nov 20:14 ARSENAL,Flamini on 200 games and 'feeling young'
- 20 Nov 20:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "The main thing for a midfielder is being intelligent. I'm inspired by Xabi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso"
- 20 Nov 17:45 ARSENAL, Arteta on Welbeck: "His technical skills surprised me"
- 20 Nov 06:29 QPR, Redknapp: "Defoe? We'll see,,"
- 19 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Sometimes I get nervous watching my teammates' games"
- 19 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "Games against United and Dortmund might get us on top"
- 19 Nov 06:29 STOKE CITY, Coates: "Arnautović will stay"
- 18 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, De Gea turns out transfer rumors
- 17 Nov 19:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Now we must be all ready to fight. This season has been a rollercoaster up to now"
- 17 Nov 15:27 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I want to be back in December. I'm improving a lot here, quality-wise"
- 17 Nov 06:29 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "PSG was an option, but.."
- 16 Nov 06:59 TOTTENHAM, Lloris: "Pochettino is not to blame"
- 16 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on NT specificities: "Poland have very good goalies, Italians defend better. Spanish ones are the most technical, English go on fighting spirit, German are balanced"
- 15 Nov 06:29 WEST HAM, Gold: "Zarate doesn't want to leave"
- 14 Nov 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini's agent: "No contacts with Napoli"
- 13 Nov 06:15 Southampton, Schneiderlin: "I want to play for a big club"
- 12 Nov 19:29 ARSENAL, Ospina: "I started as a striker. I'm doing my best in one of the best clubs worldwide"
- 12 Nov 06:19 MAN. UTD, Anderson: "I could move back to Grèmio"
- 11 Nov 19:30 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Valdes is training with reserve squad, hope we'll know more about him soon"
- 10 Nov 17:23 ARSENAL, Olsson: "The most important thing is that I get to play on as high level "
- 10 Nov 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "I could have moved back to Italy"
- 09 Nov 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I didn't want Fabianski to leave. Swansea are a tough opponent"
- 08 Nov 13:00 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Walcott needs some time"
- 08 Nov 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "We don't want to sell Touré"
- 07 Nov 09:17 SWANSEA v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Wilshere's back, Arteta will be out"
- 07 Nov 06:39 STOKE, Bojan: "I am happy here"
- 06 Nov 21:30 ARSENAL, Flamini: "My priority is helping defence, since we are a very offensive team"
- 06 Nov 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Lucas: "Napoli were after me"
- 05 Nov 06:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on 3-3 against Anderlecht: "We got punished. Losing Arteta was fatal"
- 04 Nov 19:15 ARSENAL, Arteta on Chambers: "I'm pleased by his bravery, he's so confident"
- 04 Nov 17:15 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "He hasn't got to be obsessed with scoring goals"
- 03 Nov 15:14 ARSENAL, Wenger: "England must be cautious with Walcott"
- 03 Nov 14:00 ARSENAL, Chambers: "Scoring has been a dream for me"
- 22 Dec 15:45 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Ready to purchase Cleverley from United
- 22 Dec 15:30 ITALY/ GENOA, Approaching Santiago Silva
- 22 Dec 15:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Cash offer for Trapp ready
- 22 Dec 15:00 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Kirchhoff: "If Bayern called me back, I'd be glad to join"
- 22 Dec 14:45 ITALY/ INTER, Mancini: "We are not interested in signing Lennon"
- 22 Dec 14:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Kramer extends long-term for Bayer Leverkusen: PL giants disappointed
- 22 Dec 14:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Hull City call Ince and Figueroa back from loan
- 22 Dec 14:03 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, No swoop for Spurs Flyer
- 22 Dec 13:44 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Tracking Sneijder: duel to Southampton
- 22 Dec 13:30 ENGLAND/ QPR, Austin going nowhere
- 22 Dec 13:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Handed a boost in their pursuit Fekir
- 22 Dec 13:00 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, £2.5m bid for Souare
- 22 Dec 12:59 ENGLAND/ REDS & GUNNERS, Joined in the race to sign Coentrao
- 22 Dec 12:57 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Yakin: "I'll sign Salah"
- 22 Dec 12:28 ITALY/ GENOA, Willing to sign Borriello once more: duel to Parma
- 22 Dec 12:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Two German coaches for the bench
- 22 Dec 11:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Defrel on target
- 22 Dec 10:57 GERMANY/ MAINZ 05, Eyes on Lasse Vibe
- 22 Dec 10:27 ITALY/ PALERMO, Possible attempt for signing Nocerino back
- 22 Dec 09:59 GERMANY/ SC FREIBURG, Keen on Petersen
- 22 Dec 09:29 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, 3 Serie A suitors for Ariaudo
- 22 Dec 09:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, First pro contract for Mara
- 22 Dec 08:30 ITALY/ TORINO, Larrondo intenteded to leave
- 22 Dec 07:57 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Marcelo injured
- 22 Dec 07:27 BORDEAUX, Triaud: "I hope Sagnol will remain for a long time"
- 22 Dec 06:59 WOLFSBURG, Vieirinha: "Optimistic about my renewal"
- 22 Dec 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I am not afraid of spending money"
- 22 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "I'm not worried about the renewal"
- 22 Dec 00:00 INTER, Ausilio: "We are not after Lennon"
- 21 Dec 23:27 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Perotti
- 21 Dec 22:57 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Pandev could leave in January
- 21 Dec 22:29 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Chance for Donati
- 21 Dec 21:59 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, McCoist is no longer Celtic manager
- 21 Dec 21:30 ITALY/ INTER, Also Widmer on the wishlist
- 21 Dec 21:00 MEXICO/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Santos Laguna
- 21 Dec 20:27 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Pinilla
- 21 Dec 19:57 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Sprint for Vazquez
- 21 Dec 19:29 ITALY/ INTER, Eyes on Markovic
- 21 Dec 18:59 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, Working for Lucho Gonzalez
- 21 Dec 18:30 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Also Vidic on the wishlist
- 21 Dec 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Done for Reus
- 21 Dec 17:00 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Back for Layun
- 21 Dec 16:00 FRANCE/ PSG, Pogba unlikely to join
- 21 Dec 15:00 ITALY/ INTER, M'Vila intended to leave
- 21 Dec 14:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Interest for Fernandes
- 21 Dec 13:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Sao Paulo sign Bruno
- 21 Dec 12:00 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Offer for Rodriguez
- 21 Dec 11:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Breno sign for Sao Paulo
- 21 Dec 10:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Eyes on Pezzella
- 21 Dec 09:00 ITALY/ INTER, Camacho to replace Guarin?
According to Daily Star, Arsenal management are ready to submit Eintracht Frankfurt a 4 million pounds (around 7 million euros at the time) offer in order to purchase German goalkeeper Kevin Trapp (24) and have him join Gunners already in January. Currently on a deal with Hessen
Interviewed by Sky, Inter Milan Sporting Director Piero Ausilio has declared: "We will try to accomplish Mancini's requests, we have signed a
Eduardo Hernandez, agent of Real Madrid forward Javier Hernandez, has declared: "Sometimes the paper speculate on certain things, and considered
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has declared: "There is a huge difference between the perception that people have of me and I’m not scared to
Benfica 20-year-old Bernardo Silva, currently on loan at Monaco, has declared: "I am happy here, my team mates and the fans have welcomed me, I f
Bayer Leverkusen president Michael Schade has declared: "We are not thinking about selling Josip Drmic, and a loan is not an option. We are still