LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 15.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Other news Premier League (England)
- 28 May 15:40 Leicester, for Ranieri ready a contract from about 4 mln euro per year
- 28 May 14:41 Tottenham, Pochettino yesterday in Dublin to observe Janssen
- 27 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mourinho: "I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now "
- 27 May 11:14 MANCHESTER UNITED - Henry: "Mourinho starts a new era"
- 26 May 22:27 Chelsea, Courtois: "I will stay at Chelsea. If nothing happens strange"
- 26 May 21:17 Gallas on Conte: "At Chelsea will bring discipline and will to win"
- 25 May 22:41 OFFICIAL: Arsenal, Arteta and Rosicky do not renew contracts
- 25 May 15:03 ARSENAL - Xhaka: "It's an honour to play for Arsenal"
- 23 May 22:02 OFFICIAL: Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal leaves the club
- 20 May 16:35 OFFICIAL: Bournemouth, Adam Smith renews until 30 June 2020
- 19 May 16:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Cabaye: "The FA Cup is important"
- 19 May 12:43 ARSENAL, Arteta: "I have not been good enough for Gunners"
- 18 May 17:22 MANCHESTER UNITED - Van Gaal: "Fans expect too much"
- 18 May 16:57 MANCHESTER UNITED - Quinn: "I just love watching Rashford play"
- 18 May 16:28 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "Players to become legends"
- 18 May 10:23 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schmeichel sr.: "A boring season for us"
- 17 May 22:47 Liverpool, Coutinho: "It will certainly be a great final. We hope to win"
- 17 May 17:58 EVERTON - Lukaku: "It's been a difficult year for the fans"
- 17 May 11:21 CRYSTAL PALACE - Adebayor uncertain over future
- 17 May 10:42 ASTON VILLA - Bevington to step up
- 16 May 17:28 LIVERPOOL - Milner text Brad Smith concerning red card
- 16 May 17:13 ARSENAL - Arteta: "A big thank you to everyone"
- 15 May 21:55 Southampton, Koeman : "Unbelievable season, I'm speechless "
- 15 May 21:30 Chelsea,Terry : "Congratulations to Ranieri, Hiddink is a great man"
- 15 May 21:07 Arteta leaves Arsenal : "A privilege to have played here, thanks for these years"
- 15 May 21:06 NORWICH manager Neil wants to stay
- 15 May 21:02 ARSENAL - Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta end careers at Arsenal
- 15 May 14:12 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Benitez: "We want to do well for the fans"
- 15 May 13:42 CHELSEA - Willian: "Victory over Leicester will show we're improving"
- 14 May 18:18 WATFORD - Flores preparing for emotional farewell
- 14 May 17:48 MANCHESTER CITY - Ancelotti: 'Pep will get sacked'
- 14 May 16:42 MANCHESTER UNITED - Howe: "A deeper role suits Rooney"
- 14 May 15:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rooney: "The future is bright for United"
- 14 May 15:11 WEST BROM - Pulis: "Fletcher is fantastic"
- 14 May 11:22 WATFORD - Ighalo: "I am still happy I stayed"
- 14 May 10:58 MANCHESTER UNITED - Rashford could be picked for England
- 14 May 10:42 CHELSEA - A special gift to Guus Hiddink
- 14 May 10:21 ARSENAL - Wilshere says goodbye to Rosicky
- 14 May 09:38 ARSENAL - Wenger uncertain about future
- 14 May 08:29 EVERTON - Howard: "We need to take full responsibility for the sack"
- 13 May 21:32 WEST HAM - Bilic offers apology for pre-game incidents against Manchester United
- 13 May 20:02 LEICESTER - Vardy: "Man City win was the turning point"
- 13 May 19:04 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini urges team to take advantage"
- 13 May 18:28 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shearer: "They got what they deserved"
- 13 May 15:16 CHELSEA - Willian: "We're already thinking about next season"
- 13 May 13:17 SOUTHAMPTON - Forster and Ward-Prowse sign long-term deals
- 13 May 12:49 ARSENAL - Ramsey: "We slipped up"
- 13 May 09:47 BOURNEMOUTH - Iturbe set for La Liga move
- 12 May 15:37 MANCHESTER UNITED - Lowest PL points ever for Red Devils
- 12 May 14:12 SUNDERLAND - Allardyce praises his Sunderland team
- 12 May 13:39 EVERTON - Martinez: "We need to win football games"
- 12 May 12:44 CHELSEA - Hiddink praises Blues youngster Tammy Abraham
- 12 May 12:35 CHELSEA - Hiddink: “I’m disappointed not to have three points
- 12 May 12:14 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We didn't defend well"
- 12 May 09:51 SWANSEA - President Statement
- 12 May 09:02 SWANSEA to keep Francesco Guidolin
- 11 May 19:00 SWANSEA CITY/ OFFICIAL, Francesco Guidolin renews
- 11 May 18:32 CHELSEA, Oscar: "I can do better"
- 11 May 18:14 SUNDERLAND - Borini: "I like the pressure"
- 11 May 15:12 EVERTON - Martinez backing Lukaku tonight
- 11 May 14:44 WEST HAM - Souness: "West Ham fans should be banned for life"
- 11 May 13:16 NEWCASTLE, 6,5 million to Benitez to stay
- 10 May 20:44 STOKE CITY - Stephen Ireland suffers leg break
- 10 May 19:24 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "Our success not as big as Clough's Forest"
- 10 May 18:56 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "I'm really looking forward to next season"
- 10 May 17:52 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "We created stability at Anfield"
- 10 May 17:27 MANCHESTER UNITED - Schneiderlin: "I will return very strong next season"
- 09 May 20:36 EVERTON - could sack Martinez for Frank de Boer
- 08 May 14:40 ARSENAL - Premier League era of 'big 4' over according to Wenger
- 08 May 13:38 WBA target Brendan Rodgers if Tony Pulis leaves
- 08 May 12:52 WATFORD to move for Jerome Sinclair
- 07 May 19:37 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "My chairman doesn't do bargains"
- 06 May 21:30 TOTTENHAM - Dembele hit with 6 match suspension
- 06 May 17:58 NEWCASTLE UNITED - Shelvey: "It's not about Sunderland, it's about us"
- 06 May 16:58 WEST HAM - Adrian out for rest of the season
- 06 May 14:52 MANCHESTER UNITED - Smalling: "It's about repaying LVG"
- 06 May 13:11 BOURNEMOUTH to let Iturbe go
- 06 May 11:57 WBA - Pulis on Berahino: "He might even extend"
- 06 May 10:09 SOUTHAMPTON and WEST HAM target Townsend
- 05 May 10:34 LEICESTER tried to appoint Hiddink
- 05 May 09:17 WATFORD to win the battle over GRANADA' s Success
- 04 May 12:42 CHELSEA - PSG keen on Eden Hazard
- 04 May 12:31 LIVERPOOL - Doucoure on target
- 04 May 11:53 PREMIER LEAGUE - Ranieri: "We don't need superstars"
- 04 May 10:46 CHELSEA - Conte: "Ranieri did an outstanding job"
- 04 May 09:47 HUDDERSFIELD - Danny Ward on target
- 04 May 09:26 LIVERPOOL - Caulker to leave
- 03 May 18:33 MANCHESTER UNITED - Fellaini and Huth face 3 match ban
- 03 May 18:02 TOTTENHAM - Rose: "I'm sorry if it looked bad on TV"
- 03 May 17:22 LIVERPOOL - Can back to training
- 03 May 16:57 STOKE CITY - Club announces new kit makers
- 03 May 16:22 LEICESTER - Ranieri: "We won't defend our title next year"
- 03 May 15:42 LIVERPOOL - Sakho given worldwide ban
- 03 May 15:20 TOTTENHAM - Kane: "It's just a disappointing night"
- 03 May 14:47 EVERTON - Jagielka to return before end of season
- 03 May 14:13 MANCHESTER UNITED - David De Gea breaks award record
- 02 May 17:02 ASTON VILLA - Chris Herd set for a return to Australia
- 02 May 15:38 BIRMINGHAM CITY - To bid for Morgan Fox
- 02 May 15:23 EVERTON - To appoint Low after Euro 2016
- 02 May 14:32 SUNDERLAND - Big Sam to be confirmed also with relegation
- 31 May 12:53 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick has signed a new one-year contract
- 31 May 12:39 FRANCE - Deschamps: "Giroud boo's unfair"
- 31 May 12:23 LEICESTER CITY, Suggestion for Wanyama
- 31 May 12:08 JUVENTUS striker Morata tempted by Real Madrid and Premier League bids
- 31 May 11:58 SOUTHAMPTON willing to bring Chambers back
- 31 May 11:44 MANCHESTER UNITED boss Mourinho ready to sell duo
- 31 May 11:39 MANCHESTER CITY - Bony return
- 31 May 11:38 PORTO sack Jose Peseiro after 4 months
- 31 May 11:22 WEST HAM - Oxford won't move
- 31 May 11:09 SUNDERLAND manager Allardyce ready to persuade Sakho
- 31 May 10:53 SOUTHAMPTON willing to extend Long deal
- 31 May 10:47 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Schelotto about to renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 31 May 10:42 MANCHESTER UNITED star Carrick signs a new deal
- 31 May 10:28 CHELSEA manager Conte wants Lichtsteiner
- 31 May 10:17 JUVENTUS, Morata: "My wish is to succeed in Madrid, but Premier would be a great destination"
- 31 May 10:11 REAL MADRID keeper Navas set to miss Copa America
- 31 May 09:55 FIORENTINA centre-back Astori won't be selected
- 31 May 09:39 MANCHESTER UNITED manager Mourinho starts his experience
- 31 May 09:21 BAYERN MUNICH - Gotze willing to stay despite rumors
- 31 May 09:02 ROMA made Antonio Rudiger deal permanent
- 31 May 02:00 JUVENTUS, A 3 years contract offered to Mascherano
- 31 May 01:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hoffenheim sign Vogt
- 31 May 01:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Max Grün renews for Wolfsburg
- 31 May 01:15 FIORENTINA, Planning a cash offer for Duván Zapata
- 31 May 01:00 BREAKING NEWS - STOKE CITY, Offer and salary submitted to Zenit and Witsel
- 31 May 00:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, In talks with Sunderland for Pickford
- 31 May 00:30 LAZIO & AC MILAN, A rival towards Zappacosta
- 31 May 00:15 PSG, Sirigu's agent: "Never talked to Napoli, but that would be beautiful"
- 31 May 00:00 BREAKING NEWS - WEST HAM, Cash offer submitted to AC Milan for Bacca
- 30 May 22:59 Italy, those who will not be called up
- 30 May 22:21 OFFICIAL: Lokomotiv Moscow, no contract's renewal for Sheshukov and Grigoriev
- 30 May 22:08 Lazio, Tounkara could leave, likes to Genoa and Granada
- 30 May 21:46 OFFICIAL: Levante, contract's renewal for Remeseiro and Martin
- 30 May 21:43 OFFICIAL: Estoril, Fabiano Soares coach confirmed
- 30 May 21:38 Ligue 1, De Ceglie is the worst player
- 30 May 21:34 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini: "I will retire if nothing interesting comes"
- 30 May 21:24 OFFICIAL: Sevilla, Samuel Perez signed until 2018
- 30 May 21:08 Lazio target Brazilian Barcelona winger Adriano
- 30 May 21:06 SPAIN - Carvajal to miss Euro's
- 30 May 20:43 GERMANY - Hummels: "It's going to take a while until I can kick a ball again"
- 30 May 20:19 ENGLAND - Sturridge returns to training
- 30 May 19:51 MANCHESTER CITY - Pellegrini will retire
- 30 May 19:26 LEICESTER CITY - Kante 'happy' at foxes
- 30 May 19:06 LIVERPOOL target Mahmoud Dahoud
- 30 May 18:47 PSG - Silva's agent does not rule our MAN UTD move
- 30 May 18:32 NAPOLI - Higuain wants to play at LIVERPOOL
- 30 May 18:19 ARSENAL - Crowley on another loan
- 30 May 18:15 ROMA - Manolas to get new deal?
- 30 May 18:03 ITALY/ BOLOGNA, Gnoukouri might pick up from Diawara's course
- 30 May 17:47 FEYENOORD, Vilhena's agent: "In talks with 7 clubs. Inter leading the race"
While N'Golo Kanté is still possibly leaving, Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri is aiming to sign, in such case, Kenyan international half-back Victor Wanyama (24). Playing for Southampton since 2013/14, former Celtic Glasgow player, while nego
According to Sky Sport 24 Silvio Berlusconi has spoken about the negotiations for Milan sale with the Chinese group even saying a joke: "I
After having already trained them back in 2003/04, Spanish 61 years old Juande Ramos has been appointed again Malaga manager. Former Dnipro Dnipr
According to Daily Telegraph Claudio Ranieri is close to renewal's contract with Leicester. Italian coach, who won the last edition of the Premier
Paolo De Ceglie was elected Ligue 1 worst player. Juventus winger has gathered the most votes (42%) in the survey launched on RMC frequencies. For him
Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Kicker magazine that he has discussed with Mario Gotze his future at the club and told him he needs