LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I predicted Gomel tie"
01.08.2012 14.45 by TM W
© foto di Alberto Fornasari
As Fabio Borini prepares to make his first competitive appearance as a Liverpool player, our new forward has explained why the trip to Gomel holds extra emotional significance for him.
The Reds will touch down in Belarus on Wednesday evening ahead of Thursday's Europa League third round qualifier at the Central Stadion.
FC Gomel may be relative unknowns for many, but Borini is well aware of the area having been involved in charity work with youngsters from the region during his childhood.
Situated approximately 80 miles from Chernobyl, Gomel was contaminated with radioactive debris following the nuclear power plant disaster in 1986.
"I've got a big connection with Gomel," Borini revealed to Liverpoolfc.com. "When I was younger, my family would take children from a village near Gomel to Italy because when the Chernobyl disaster happened, a lot of nuclear radiation went over the area.
"The children needed to breathe good air and get medical checks to make sure everything was fine.
"We helped them by taking them for one month a year in the summer so we could do all of these things for them and let them see Italy.
"I actually have a tattoo that is my name written in Russian to remember this. "
Borini has remained in contact with some of the Gomel youngsters he became friends with - and even predicted Liverpool would be drawn against the Belarusian club as he was putting the finishing touches on his move to Anfield.
"Well before the draw was made, I met the teacher of the class before coming to Liverpool and I said, 'Gomel are in the Europa League...we'll probably meet them.' It was a little bit of a casual prediction.
"I actually got a lot of tickets for a class I used to spend time with in Italy when I was younger, so I will be very happy to see them at the stadium.
"I don't think they've ever been to a stadium for a proper game - and I think they will have an Italian flag with them."
On the field, Borini will be taking nothing for granted - even though Liverpool are heavy favourites to progress into the Europa League proper.
He said: "It will be a tough test because when you don't know opponents it can be a little bit more difficult because you go against unknown players that you've never seen before.
"You just need to do your job properly and think about yourself. We can't let them play or let the game pass by - we need to make the game."
On a personal level, Borini is hoping to make the most of any chance he may be handed by Brendan Rodgers in the two-legged tie.
The Italy international added: "It means a lot because I've only played in Europe once when I was at Chelsea in the Champions League.
"For this season, to be in the Europa League, to go through this round and the rounds afterwards I think will be good because I will get more experience. It will be great to be seen by the people and try to show what I can do."
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 30 Mar 07:29 MAN. CITY, Silva: "Barça? I am happy here"
- 29 Mar 06:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "My future? I have given my word.."
- 28 Mar 12:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Gunners crisis: "There's still a lot of turning games before the season ends"
- 28 Mar 11:00 NEW YORK RED BULLS, Arsenal legend Thierry Henry: "I'm excited for playing friendly match against Gunners"
- 28 Mar 09:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ramsey is progressing in recovering"
- 28 Mar 06:15 ASTON VILLA, Benteke's agent: "Too early to talk about the future"
- 21 Apr 00:00 JUVENTUS, Pogba: "I am not in talks for a new contract"
- 20 Apr 23:27 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Cercle Brugge sign De Bie
- 20 Apr 22:57 ITALY/ VERONA, In talks for Espericueta
- 20 Apr 22:29 PORTUGAL/ BRAGA, Idea Regula
- 20 Apr 21:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Doubts about Elkeson
- 20 Apr 21:30 GERMANY/ HAMBURG, Keen on Andreasen
- 20 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer to Silva
- 20 Apr 20:27 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Mission for Carrillo
- 20 Apr 19:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Three names for the offensive line
- 20 Apr 19:29 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, New contract for Pinto ready
- 20 Apr 18:59 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Possible swap with Lazio
- 20 Apr 18:30 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Trying to extend Caparrós' deal
- 20 Apr 18:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Garay for the defense
- 20 Apr 17:27 URUGUAY/ SPORTING, Italian auction for Silva
- 20 Apr 16:57 AUSTRIA/ OFFICIAL, Sollbauer renews with Wolfsberger
- 20 Apr 16:29 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Conte on the wishlist
- 20 Apr 15:59 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Italian suitors for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN, No more interested in Laporte
- 20 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Offer for Fernando ready
- 20 Apr 14:27 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT, Schwegler intended to leave
- 20 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ ROMA, All on Rafa Silva
- 20 Apr 13:29 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Fauré renews with Charleroi
- 20 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ TORINO, Offer for Lanzini
- 20 Apr 12:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Eyes on Contento
- 20 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ INTER, Soon meeting for Rolando
- 20 Apr 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, New mission for Carvalho
- 20 Apr 10:00 ITALY/ VERONA, Iturbe injured
- 20 Apr 09:00 BORDEAUX, Maurice-Belay: "I want to stay"
- 20 Apr 08:00 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Barcelona? The fans can remain calm"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 20 Apr 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "No problems with Martino"
- 20 Apr 00:00 ROMA, Ljajic: "I came here to stay as long as possible"
- 19 Apr 23:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Livorno fire Di Carlo
- 19 Apr 22:00 SWITZERLAND/ BASEL, Xhaka back?
- 19 Apr 21:00 ITALY/ PARMA, Back for Pulido
- 19 Apr 20:00 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Coritiba sign Dener
- 19 Apr 19:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Gaston Silva
- 19 Apr 18:00 FRANCE/ BASTIA, Mary towards England
- 19 Apr 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Idea Villa
- 19 Apr 16:00 FRANCE/ OL, Two options for the bench
- 19 Apr 15:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Britos could leave
- 19 Apr 14:30 PARAGUAY/ LIBERTAD, Three Italian clubs after Amarilla
- 19 Apr 13:57 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Zapata the key for Muriel
- 19 Apr 13:27 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Two clubs after Kompany
- 19 Apr 12:59 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back for Ljajic
- 19 Apr 12:29 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, Interest for Schwegler
- 19 Apr 12:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Back for Gonalons
- 19 Apr 11:30 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stanton renews with Hibernian
- 19 Apr 10:57 ITALY/ VERONA, Romulo on permanent basis
- 19 Apr 10:27 FRANCE/ PSG, Sirigu about to renew
Talking upon Mesut Ozil's forthcoming comeback on the pitch, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger stated: "He has gone through a difficult spell because physically he was not as present as you would expect him. I can understand the judgement when… you wanted...
Interviewed by BeINSport, Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has declared: "My future? Now I am thinking about winning the title with Juve,...
Interviewed by AS, Fernando Felicevich, agent of Barcelona 25 year old forward Alexis Sanchez has declared: "I have talked with Alexis, who...
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry, actually on loan at Everton, has declared: "If the club offer me a contract and show me they want...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by Le Progres, OL president Jean-Michel Aulas has declared: "The future of Lacazette and Grenier? None of them will leave Lyon...