LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 20.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Other news Premier League (England)
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 18 Sep 06:19 SWANSEA, Bony: "I'm not thinking about leaving"
- 17 Sep 16:45 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Borussia Dortmund defeated us through pace and pressure"
- 17 Sep 15:15 ARSENAL, Bellerin: "Debuting in Champions League has been a dream for me"
- 17 Sep 06:19 QPR, Vargas: "I want to remain in England"
- 16 Sep 16:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Wilshere: "Always good games against them, fantastic even without Reus. We aim to get first in the group"
- 16 Sep 14:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND v ARSENAL, Preview - Mertesacker: "Intense game against City. Dortmund will put pressure on us"
- 16 Sep 11:17 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Signing Fabregas has been easy"
- 16 Sep 10:39 ARSENAL, Flamini: "Sad for Debuchy's injury. We could have won against City"
- 16 Sep 06:19 MAN. CITY, Demichelis: "I would like to renew"
- 15 Sep 11:45 ARSENAL, Wenger on Wilshere: "With a talent like his, he just needs to show how good he is"
- 15 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal on 4-0 over QPR: "Great impact of all the new players, not only Di Maria"
- 15 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We are obviously disappointed for the draw against City"
- 14 Sep 21:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "I am getting fitter and fitter, my goal was a tight angle. Fantastic debut from Welbeck"
- 14 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Welbeck's debut: "He needs to fully integrate, but I'm satisfied"
- 14 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Arteta: "Sanchez is working hard, and he's already important for us"
- 14 Sep 10:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments 2-2 against City: "Not an easy game to referee. Wilshere is getting to top back"
- 14 Sep 00:30 ARSENAL, Wenger faces the umpteenth injury: "Debuchy's ankle doesn't look good"
- 13 Sep 18:30 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY 2-2 - Official matchbox: Demichelis saves the day for Citizens
- 12 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Wenger against homophobia: "Sports should be ahead of society. Fighting against any kind of discrimination is very important"
- 12 Sep 13:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Duel to Chelsea on tracking Alcacer
- 12 Sep 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I'm unhappy with our transfer market"
- 11 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Now we have the right amount of fast and technical players"
- 11 Sep 21:15 ARSENAL, Walcott: "Happy to have Welbeck in Gunners' family. He'll fit better here than in United"
- 11 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger: "Big pressure on us, we must show we improved from last year"
- 11 Sep 17:43 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Cazorla: "I hope Arteta joins back for the game. He's born to be captain"
- 11 Sep 17:26 MANCHESTER CITY, Zabaleta could face Gunners
- 11 Sep 15:45 ARSENAL, Ozil: "Proud of my assist record and the manager's praises"
- 11 Sep 15:00 ARSENAL v MANCHESTER CITY, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ozil is ok, Ramsey has little chances"
- 11 Sep 12:26 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Ramsey could be fit to face City
- 11 Sep 06:19 ARSENAL, Campbell's agent: "Fiorentina were interested"
- 10 Sep 17:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Chambers is a surprise for me. I'm happy I'm playing on a regular basis"
- 10 Sep 14:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on Giroud's long-term injury: "Bad loss for us, but we need to come out stronger and be with him"
- 10 Sep 11:59 ARSENAL, Walcott: "I hope to come back stronger and quicker"
- 09 Sep 19:00 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "My future could be complicated"
- 09 Sep 13:15 ARSENAL, Campbell on Cazorla: "His technique left me astonished"
- 09 Sep 10:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Mata: "Falcao is not just a player, he's a fantastic striker and scorer"
- 09 Sep 09:15 ARSENAL, Welbeck on NT: "We won as a team against Switzerland"
- 09 Sep 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Borini: "I am happy here"
- 09 Sep 02:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "If someone had told me I would have played for Blues and Mourinho, I wouldn't have believed it"
- 08 Sep 19:00 ARSENAL, Sanogo on troubles with supporters: "My first goal will throw troubles away"
- 08 Sep 16:30 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Ospina is a nice guy and a good goalie, but I don't feel sorry for him being my reserve"
- 08 Sep 11:31 ARSENAL, Campbell: "World Cup has been my best experience, we showed we can compete anyone"
- 08 Sep 06:59 MAN. CITY, Kompany: "This club is investing in the right places"
- 07 Sep 09:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rojo: "Being here and share the room with such stars is a dream"
- 06 Sep 21:00 LIVERPOOL, José Enrique: "I really want to help Alberto Moreno"
- 06 Sep 09:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "Hard times made me what I am"
- 06 Sep 00:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, Scholes: "We should not have sold Welbeck to Arsenal"
- 05 Sep 23:00 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Tiki-taka is not dead"
- 05 Sep 22:00 ARSENAL, Ozil about World Cup: "When I had the trophy in my hands, there were lots of emotions"
- 04 Sep 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Calum Chambers: "He'll become a major NT player soon, he's so confident"
- 04 Sep 10:59 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Not happy with latest game, now we need to regroup"
- 04 Sep 08:59 CHELSEA, Remy introduces himself: "We can win Champions League. Mourinho knows how to get the best from players"
- 04 Sep 00:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We were unlucky in World Cup"
- 03 Sep 07:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Falcao: "I am in the bigger club in the world"
- 03 Sep 00:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney: "Falcao? A fantastic signing. I'm honoured for having become England's captain"
- 02 Sep 19:48 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "Falcao is one of the best scorers around"
- 02 Sep 16:29 ARSENAL, Good luck to Krisolsson on Twitter
- 01 Sep 01:16 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Remy excited to work with Mourinho
- 31 Aug 02:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "They have been impressive against Everton and Chelsea"
- 30 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "Everything he does is intelligent, he's got perfect timing"
- 30 Aug 14:00 LEICESTER CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Arteta and Gibbs won't be in the game"
- 30 Aug 09:00 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Winning FA Cup got us hungrier for trophies"
- 30 Aug 01:03 EVERTON, Martinez happy with Europa League draw
- 29 Aug 17:48 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Sanchez: "Unbelievable game of his against Besiktas"
- 29 Aug 14:24 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Chambers surprised me. Sanchez's winning mentality will help us a lot"
- 29 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Sagna: "We want to win everything"
- 29 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Some players may leave"
- 28 Aug 16:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere on Sanchez's victory goal against Besiktas: "Alexis needed to score his first goal as a Gunner"
- 28 Aug 11:44 ARSENAL, Official medical report on Giroud: 4 months' stop
- 28 Aug 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We don't have to replace Giroud"
- 27 Aug 15:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Giroud's one can be a long-term injury"
- 27 Aug 14:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our experience will help us against Besiktas. A crucial game, more on the sport side than financially"
- 27 Aug 12:45 MANCHESTER UNITED, Van Gaal: "I chose Di Maria as I did with Robben in Bayern. He'll need to fit into the philosophy of our club"
- 27 Aug 06:19 MAN. UTD, Di Maria: "I didn't want to leave Real"
- 26 Aug 12:52 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Carra worried about Reds' defence
- 26 Aug 11:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers on Balotelli: "Of course it's a risk, but he is a big talent"
- 26 Aug 06:19 LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "I'm in a great team"
- 25 Aug 13:36 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "We learnt from last year's defeat suffered from Everton"
- 25 Aug 11:45 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Losing against Everton would have been disappointing. We showed a great attitude"
- 25 Aug 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "Soon an answer about Borini"
- 24 Aug 09:59 QPR, Redknapp: "We want to keep Rémy"
- 24 Aug 00:00 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We'll be more careful than last year against Everton"
- 23 Aug 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Last year we left the game in Everton's hands. Never had a Premier League so tight"
- 23 Aug 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Lucas Leiva: "Napoli? Never say never"
- 22 Aug 06:19 WEST BROMWICH, Irvine: "We are in taks with Samaras"
- 21 Aug 13:12 ARSENAL, Chambers: "I'm working my way here, thanks to everyone's help"
- 21 Aug 08:30 HULL CITY, Bruce: "We are interested in Aboubakar"
- 20 Aug 14:28 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny: "Chambers has adapted quickly"
- 20 Aug 11:37 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Besiktas could have won the game"
- 20 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Schurrle: "I am happy here"
- 19 Aug 20:29 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Beating a Turkish team away from home is very difficult"
- 19 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I would like Cech to stay"
- 18 Aug 06:29 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "Don't know anything about Atletico"
- 17 Aug 09:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Arteta will extend his contract"
- 15 Aug 06:29 MAN. CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talks about a new deal"
- 14 Aug 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We are not interested in Benatia"
- 13 Aug 06:19 EVERTON, Martinez: "Atsu is about to join"
- 12 Aug 17:29 Former Tottenham chairman Lord Sugar thinks Arsenal can win title
- 12 Aug 12:36 ARSENAL, Giroud: "Playing with Sanchez is easy, we'll be stronger this season"
- 19 Sep 22:00 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Ricardo renews with FC Porto
- 19 Sep 21:37 INDIA/ CHENNAI, Mutu about to sign
- 19 Sep 20:59 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Van Buyten could come back
- 19 Sep 18:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Martins quits Benfica
- 19 Sep 18:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Gaudino farther
- 19 Sep 18:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, The Cavani dream is not over
- 19 Sep 17:45 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Barragán likely to extend
- 19 Sep 17:30 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - TOTTENHAM, Lloris after the Partizan letdown: "It wasn't easy, all in all it's an OK draw"
- 19 Sep 17:15 FIORENTINA & INTER, Ledesma on target if not renewing with Lazio
- 19 Sep 17:00 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - NAPOLI, Mertens after the double score: "A crucial night both for the team and me"
- 19 Sep 16:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Nottingham Forest loan Laing out
- 19 Sep 16:30 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Southampton loan Boruc out to Bournemouth
- 19 Sep 16:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, From UK: one less suitor for Mata
- 19 Sep 16:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Basa extends for Lille
- 19 Sep 15:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - SAINT-ETIENNE, Corgnet on Qarabag demi-failure: "We expected a tough game. All group teams will have trouble playing in Azerbaijan"
- 19 Sep 15:30 TURKEY/ BESIKTAS, Zengin might renew soon
- 19 Sep 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, Winter attempt for Schär ready
- 19 Sep 15:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, From Italy: winter attempt for Dani Alves ready
- 19 Sep 14:45 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - WOLFSBURG, Arnold: "We are not sticking our heads in the sand"
- 19 Sep 14:30 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK MOSCOW, Keen on Gokhan Gonul
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 19 Sep 14:01 BASTIA, Brandao suspended for head butt to Thiago Motta
- 19 Sep 13:44 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Winter move for Balanta revealed
- 19 Sep 13:27 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Considering move for Lugano
- 19 Sep 12:57 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Possible offer to Joseph Yobo
- 19 Sep 12:29 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Soriano on target
- 19 Sep 11:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Elche extend Rubio's deal
- 19 Sep 11:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Le Havre sign Agbetu
- 19 Sep 11:00 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ben Arfa could come back
- 19 Sep 10:44 FRANCE/ OL. Aulas: "I wanted Sagnol as coach"
- 19 Sep 10:35 ENGLAND/ STOKE CITY, Hughes: "No contact with Redknapp over Stoke striker Crouch"
- 19 Sep 09:23 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Liverpool and Arsenal tracking Isco
- 19 Sep 00:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, New attempt for Hummels in January
- 18 Sep 23:40 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Keen on Darmian
- 18 Sep 23:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Plan for signing Isco
- 18 Sep 23:00 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Offer for Fellaini ready
- 18 Sep 22:37 INDIA/ OFFICIAL, Ljungberg joins Mumbai City
- 18 Sep 22:17 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Back tracking Schär
- 18 Sep 21:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Kucka set to renew
- 18 Sep 21:39 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Eyes on MK Dons talent Dele Alli
- 18 Sep 21:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Eyes on Giulio Donati
- 18 Sep 21:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Solskjaer resigns from Cardiff City manager position
- 18 Sep 20:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Renewal negotiations reopened for Abate
- 18 Sep 20:17 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Survey on Okaka
- 18 Sep 19:59 ENGLAND/ TOTTENHAM, Attempt for Ashley Young on tabs
- 18 Sep 19:39 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Real Madrid renew Varane's contract
- 18 Sep 19:20 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wanyama on target
- 18 Sep 19:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fulham fire Magath
- 18 Sep 18:30 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA M., Sarabia on target
- 18 Sep 18:00 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Move for youngster Gaudino
Since having been benched a lot more than expected by Laurent Blanc in the beginning of current season, Uruguayan international striker Edinson Cavani (27) seems to be really weighing up the chance to leave Paris Saint-Germain, even in January, though being still on a deal with t
Hero of the day for Napoli after having scored 2 of the 3 goals thanks to Italian club defeated Sparta Prague in Europa League group round first match
Talking to FC Seville official media after the 2-0 victory over Feyenoord, Argentinian international playmaking midfielder Ever Banega, who joined Eur
Commenting upon Europa League group first match, played against Partizan Belgrade at White Hart Lane and ended in a disappointing 0-0, Tottenham goalk
After the quite unfulfilling 1-1 draw against Azeri outsiders Qarabag, Saint-Etienne offensive midfielder Benjamin Corgnet commented: "Differentl
Commenting upon the 4-1 defeat suffered from Everton, Wolfsburg 1994-born talented offensive midfielder Maxi Arnold stated: "We've been obvio