LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 18.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Premier League (England)
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 22 Apr 10:45 ARSENAL, Wenger after success over Hull: "I felt that the team was fresh and more mentally strong"
- 22 Apr 09:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey: "We defeated Hull City twice, but we won't take FA Cup final against them lightly"
- 22 Apr 06:15 CHELSEA, Torres turns out transfer rumours
- 21 Apr 06:29 TOTTENHAM, Sherwood: "I'm afraid Eriksen can leave"
- 20 Apr 07:00 EVERTON, Barry: "I would like to stay"
- 19 Apr 06:29 NEWCASTLE, Pardew: "Remy could stay"
- 18 Apr 14:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ozil: "He experienced some troubles, now he'll improve and improve"
- 18 Apr 12:00 HULL CITY v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on squad news: "Gibbs will be out"
- 18 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, Davies: "Atletico after me? I couldn't believe it"
- 16 Apr 12:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Podolski: "Fantastic finisher and my main wide player"
- 16 Apr 09:30 ARSENAL, Giroud: "The team need me to score a lot in the last 4 Premier games"
- 16 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyer: "I won't resign, but.."
- 15 Apr 14:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Our quality makes me think we can finish in the top four"
- 15 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Ramsey and the Ox might not make it"
- 15 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL v WEST HAM, Preview - Wenger: "Qualifying for next Champions League is vital for us"
- 15 Apr 10:14 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "Title fight will go to the wire"
- 15 Apr 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Eriksen: "My future? I have a secret plan.."
- 14 Apr 12:45 ARSENAL, Podolski: "Winning FA Cup would be ok, but not qualifying for Champions would be really bad"
- 13 Apr 23:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Fabianski holds the main credit for our victory"
- 13 Apr 16:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We won by spirit and nerve"
- 13 Apr 12:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Demba Ba: "I'll leave in June. I'd like to play in PSG"
- 13 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Rosicky: "Some of us don't know how it feels to lift a trophy. We can't hide behind injuries"
- 12 Apr 11:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "The squad need to win a trophy"
- 12 Apr 09:00 ARSENAL, Giroud: "We want to win FA Cup for our fans"
- 11 Apr 23:57 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers:"We are enjoying it and the players are very focused"
- 11 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku: "My future? I have a contract with Chelsea"
- 10 Apr 16:32 MANCHESTER UTD, Fletcher accepts United fight
- 10 Apr 06:19 SWANSEA, William's agent: "Ready to talk with Napoli"
- 09 Apr 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Ramirez's agent: "He could move back to Italy"
- 08 Apr 14:44 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We have experience in getting into the top four of course"
- 08 Apr 06:19 SUNDERLAND, Poyet: "I am not going to walk away"
- 07 Apr 14:30 LIVERPOOL, Ayre: "Suarez wants to stay and win Champions League for Reds"
- 07 Apr 06:15 STOKE CITY, Assaidi: "My future remains uncertain"
- 06 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "PSG? If my wife asks me to.."
- 05 Apr 13:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Everton's full backs have massive attacking potential"
- 05 Apr 11:00 LIVERPOOL, Iago Aspas: "I need to move to a club which believe in me"
- 05 Apr 08:00 ARSENAL, Wenger again on Ramsey: "He is a bit Lampardish"
- 05 Apr 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Torres going nowhere"
- 04 Apr 19:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on Ramsey: "Great to have him back. We suffered a lot from injuries"
- 04 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Defeating Everton will mean making a distance from them"
- 04 Apr 06:15 EVERTON, Lukaku's agent: "
- 03 Apr 20:00 ARSENAL, Wenger on injuries: "Ramsey might be back against Everton"
- 03 Apr 13:45 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "Very happy for this season, around all these top players"
- 03 Apr 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Kaboul: "I am not joining Arsenal"
- 02 Apr 06:15 ARSENAL, Vermaelen: "We want Wenger to stay"
- 01 Apr 06:15 SOUTHAMPTON, Shaw: "I'm not thinking about the transfer market"
- 31 Mar 17:30 ARSENAL, Wenger: "We went through a terrible storm, and we showed courage"
- 31 Mar 06:15 NEWCASTLE, Debuchy: "PSG? We'll see.."
- 30 Mar 07:29 MAN. CITY, Silva: "Barça? I am happy here"
- 23 Apr 11:46 RUSSIA/ ZENIT, Eye on Eric Dier
- 23 Apr 11:34 ENGLAND/ CHELSA, Čech out for season
- 23 Apr 11:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Filipe Luís: "Chelsea? The return leg is completely open"
- 23 Apr 11:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, De Sciglio more and more inclined to leave
- 23 Apr 10:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, Duel to Napoli and Inter for Fernando
- 23 Apr 10:41 FIFA/ SPAIN, Barcelona appeal granted suspensive effect
- 23 Apr 10:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI: New chances for Agger, if Benitez stays
- 23 Apr 10:15 ITALY/ PALERMO, Attempt for Luca Rigoni
- 23 Apr 10:00 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Wolf set to renew
- 23 Apr 09:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Suggestion for Tello
- 23 Apr 09:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - 3 Serie A suitors for Marcio Rozario
- 23 Apr 09:15 ITALY/ INTER, A new loan for Duncan in the viewfinder
- 23 Apr 09:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New attempt for Mkhitaryan ready
- 23 Apr 08:45 GERMANY/ DUISBURG, Two U.S. American players in testing
- 23 Apr 08:30 HAMBURG & CATANIA, Eyes on Jonathas
- 23 Apr 08:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Alexis Sanchez tempted to join: 2 facts to weigh up
- 23 Apr 08:00 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rose back at Barnsley
- 23 Apr 07:40 BRAZIL/ OFFICIAL, Wanderson joins Guaranì
- 23 Apr 07:17 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cech injured
- 23 Apr 06:57 MONACO, Berbatov: "I would like to stay"
- 23 Apr 06:39 STUTTGART, Bobic: "We will talk with Cacau about a new contract"
- 23 Apr 06:19 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I am going nowhere else"
- 23 Apr 06:00 MALAGA, Husillos: "We want to keep Iakovenko"
- 23 Apr 00:00 INTER, Icardi's agent: "Real? He wants to grow up with Mazzarri"
- 22 Apr 23:37 ITALY/ INTER, Interest for Demba Ba
- 22 Apr 23:17 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Siqueira wants to stay
- 22 Apr 22:59 SPAIN/ LEVANTE, Offer for Caparros ready
- 22 Apr 22:39 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Idea Villa
- 22 Apr 22:20 FRANCE/ REIMS, Eyes on Bakambu
- 22 Apr 22:00 ITALY/ INTER, Duel with Arsenal for Ben Arfa
- 22 Apr 21:37 MEXICO/ MONTERREY, All on Borghi
- 22 Apr 21:17 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Also Lucas on the shortlist
- 22 Apr 20:59 SPAIN/ VALENCIA, Jonas towards England
- 22 Apr 20:39 RUSSIA/ SPARTAK, Belenov could come back
- 22 Apr 20:20 ITALY/ INTER, Morata to replace Icardi
- 22 Apr 20:00 FRANCE/ LORIENT, Idea Domenech
- 22 Apr 19:45 ITALY/ INTER, Eyes on Dzemaili
- 22 Apr 19:30 HOLLAND/ FEYENOORD, Two Italian clubs after Janmaat
- 22 Apr 19:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Sanchez closer
- 22 Apr 19:00 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Capel offered to two English clubs
- 22 Apr 18:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Ferhat
- 22 Apr 18:30 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Trying to keep Jorge Jesus
- 22 Apr 18:15 ITALY/ INTER, Mission in Madrid for two players
- 22 Apr 18:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Three options for Rodriguez
- 22 Apr 17:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Eyes on Kramaric
- 22 Apr 17:30 FRANCE/ MONACO, Offer for Nardi ready
- 22 Apr 17:15 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back for Guarin
- 22 Apr 16:57 ITALY/ MILAN, Sao Paulo are keen to bring back Kaka
- 22 Apr 16:44 ENGLAND/ BIRMINGHAM, Macheda happy in England
- 22 Apr 16:32 AC MILAN, Saponara: "The negative period is behind us "
Club Atlético de Madrid's players were in philosophical mood following Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Chelsea FC, Filipe Luís telling UEFA.com that the UEFA Champions League semi-final remains an open contest with next Wednesday's Stamford Bridge...
Interviewed by Fichajes.com, Abian Morano, agent of Inter Milan forward Mauro Icardi, has declared: "We are in a part of the season when...
Club Atlético de Madrid's players were in philosophical mood following Tuesday's 0-0 draw against Chelsea FC, Filipe Luís...
Interviewed by Telefoot, Arsenal forward Olivier Giroud has declared: "I have two more years on my contract, of course I will play for...
As reported by Sportmediaset, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has turned out the rumors regarding a possible future at Barcelona by...
Interviewed by L'Equipe, Monaco forward Dimitar Berbatov has declared: "My future? At the moment everything is fine, I play and score....