LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 20.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Other news Premier League (England)
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "Iíve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 06:19 EVERTON, Lennon: "I'm not in talks for a long-term deal"
- 26 Mar 06:29 STOKE CITY, Adam: "I am ready to renew"
- 25 Mar 14:12 GERMANY, Low insists on Ozil landing to Berlin with Arsenal boss Wenger's permission
- 25 Mar 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to play with Vertonghen again"
- 24 Mar 06:29 EVERTON, Martinez: "We don't want to lose Lukaku"
- 23 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Lampard: "Too early to talk of firing Pellegrini"
- 22 Mar 10:59 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I've been in talks with Liverpool in the past"
- 19 Mar 20:16 ARSENAL, Ozil staying with Gunners
- 19 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "Inter? Never say never"
- 18 Mar 06:19 ARSENAL, Wenger on Champions League last-16 exit
- 17 Mar 18:13 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "Little details could be key"
- 17 Mar 16:30 MAN UTD, Smalling: "We want Champions back here at Old Trafford"
- 17 Mar 16:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Carrick to target second place
- 17 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Allen: "Good signs regarding my new deal"
- 16 Mar 13:07 ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'll answer critics against Monaco"
- 16 Mar 06:29 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "Di Maria is happy here"
- 15 Mar 10:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "No hurry for Sterling's new deal"
- 14 Mar 06:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "I would like to stay"
- 13 Mar 06:19 STOKE CITY, Bregovic: "My future? At the end of the season we'll see"
- 12 Mar 14:45 MANCHESTER CITY, Demichelis after renewal: "I'll keep fighting and trying to win titles for City"
- 12 Mar 06:29 QPR, Ferdinand: "We would like to keep Austin, but.."
- 11 Mar 11:30 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD, Loan star Radamel Falcao fails to shine for U21s
- 11 Mar 06:19 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Milner must make a decision"
- 10 Mar 13:00 ARSENAL, Monreal: "I was so pleased with my goal"
- 10 Mar 06:30 LIVERPOOL, Johnson: "I would like to move abroad"
- 09 Mar 09:48 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Monday's result will affect Premier League run in"
- 09 Mar 06:29 SOUTHAMPTON, Alderweireld: "Nothing sure about my future"
- 08 Mar 09:59 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers: "I hope to remain for a long time"
- 07 Mar 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers turns out transfer rumors
- 05 Mar 20:15 ARSENAL, Gilberto Silva: "Alexis is a killer in front of goal"
- 05 Mar 18:14 ENGLAND/ WEST HAM, Reid: "Happy for my renewal"
- 04 Mar 12:43 ARSENAL, To boast three billionaires listed on Forbes
- 04 Mar 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "We are not interested in Bacca"
- 03 Mar 06:19 CHELSEA, Terry: "I hope to remain for a few more years"
- 02 Mar 22:00 ARSENAL, Oxlade-Chamberlain on Giroud: "Oli is always there for scoring, that's just what we need"
- 02 Mar 20:00 MANCHESTER UNITED, Rooney on Di Maria: "He's talented, hopefully he'll start giving great performances for us as well"
- 02 Mar 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Yaya Tourť is happy here"
- 01 Mar 06:59 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Forever in England"
- 28 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Belleržn: "It's gonna be hard. We'll need to prove CL night was an accident"
- 28 Feb 06:29 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I am happy here"
- 27 Feb 17:00 ARSENAL v EVERTON, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Wilshere will have surgery"
- 27 Feb 15:30 ARSENAL, Henry: "Training Gunners is a dream of mine"
- 27 Feb 13:30 TOTTENHAM, Chadli: "Now let's put disappointment away and make our best for Capital One Cup"
- 27 Feb 13:17 EVERTON, Europa League pairing with Dynamo Kyiv
- 27 Feb 13:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker after Emirates fiasco: "We'll need a wonderful night in Monaco"
- 27 Feb 12:15 LIVERPOOL, Rodgers after Besiktas EL failure: "We are disappointed for how much we put into the game"
- 26 Feb 07:00 ARSENAL, Wenger comments upon AS Monaco fiasco: "We were suicidal defensively"
- 26 Feb 02:20 ARSENAL v AS MONACO 1-3 - The Matchbox
- 25 Feb 11:43 ARSENAL, Monreal: "Wenger? I feel very lucky to have such a great coach"
- 25 Feb 06:19 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "I was about to leave"
- 24 Feb 21:00 ARSENAL v AS MONACO, Preview - Wenger: "We've got equal chances to pass the turn"
- 24 Feb 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Djuricic: "I would like to remain"
- 23 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Tourť's agent: "Ready to commit to City for life"
- 22 Feb 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Demichelis could stay"
- 21 Feb 16:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho on Paris metro incident: "We invite mister Souleymane to join us at Stamford Bridge on our expense"
- 21 Feb 15:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Luke Shaw: "I know how good Swans can be on their days"
- 21 Feb 14:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal on team news: "Van Persie and Jones are fit for playing"
- 21 Feb 13:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Ospina: "They've got a direct style and move fast, we'll need to be careful"
- 21 Feb 12:00 SWANSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED, Preview - Van Gaal: "We've got a fantastic spirit now, and we are looking for the perfect balance"
- 21 Feb 11:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Eagles captain Jedinak: "We are in the right mood to face such a strong team as Gunners"
- 21 Feb 10:00 SOUTHAMPTON v LIVERPOOL, Preview - Allen: "Saints have already succeeded in testing us"
- 21 Feb 09:00 LIVERPOOL, Joe Allen: "Jordon Ibe is brilliant, he's got the raw talent needed"
- 21 Feb 01:30 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I want to stay"
- 20 Feb 19:00 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Intense ground, and Pardew is doing very well. I'm happy for Chamakh's new career with Eagles"
- 20 Feb 17:00 TOTTENHAM, Ben Davies: "Good job against Fiorentina, but they were solid and hard to break"
- 20 Feb 14:44 CRYSTAL PALACE v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger on team news: "Ramsey still, doubts on Flamini and Bellerin. Wilshere is ok"
- 20 Feb 14:29 LIVERPOOL, Moreno about Besiktas: "We've been lucky as well"
- 19 Feb 01:12 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Alexis rejected several clubs to make Gunners switch"
- 18 Feb 14:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Coutinho: "We have to maintain momentum"
- 18 Feb 13:44 CHELSEA, Ivanovic cheered by Blues draw at Paris
- 18 Feb 06:39 WERDER, Eichin: "PrŲdl could renew"
- 18 Feb 06:19 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "I miss Italy, but.."
- 17 Feb 18:15 LIVERPOOL, 4-game Europa League sanction for Markovic
- 17 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Van Gaal: "I want to buy a midfielder"
- 16 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Hazard: "No contacts with PSG"
- 14 Feb 19:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Welbeck: "Winning FA Cup would mean a lot to me"
- 14 Feb 16:30 ARSENAL, Akpom: "Playing with world-class names like Cazorla and Rosicky is a striker's dream"
- 14 Feb 14:00 ARSENAL v MIDDLESBROUGH, Preview - Wenger: "Szczesny is back, competition with Ospina is open"
- 14 Feb 12:00 ARSENAL, Gnabry: "I'm feeling good coming back, now I've got to keep pushing"
- 14 Feb 06:29 LIVERPOOL, Henderson: "No rush over new deal"
- 13 Feb 19:30 ARSENAL, Paulista close to debut
- 13 Feb 15:30 EVERTON, Lukaku: "It's my ambition to get playing in a club like Chelsea"
- 13 Feb 06:29 QPR, Isla: "No regrets about Juve"
- 12 Feb 06:19 MAN. UTD, Falcao's agent: "He is happy here"
- 10 Feb 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho's agent: "He will stay for a long time"
- 09 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM, King Kane after triumph over Arsenal: "Words can't describe how I'm feeling now"
- 09 Feb 09:53 ARSENAL, Itís 31 years since Gunner signed Paul Mariner.
- 09 Feb 06:29 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "I think Milner will stay"
- 08 Feb 00:00 ARSENAL, Welbeck after city derby defeat: "We are devastated"
- 07 Feb 18:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL 2-1, The Matchbox Report: Kane's double decides
- 07 Feb 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on Walcott: "Now he needs a long time without injuries"
- 07 Feb 13:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Bentaleb: "Always a special game against Gunners"
- 07 Feb 13:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "Dark-working players, like Coquelin or Cazorla, are crucial"
- 07 Feb 12:45 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "A potentially spectacular game. Confidence will be the key"
- 07 Feb 12:30 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Pochettino: "This kind of match has to be played with the heart, as well as with head and brains"
- 07 Feb 12:15 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Ramsey: "Now Coquelin is my insurance"
- 07 Feb 12:00 TOTTENHAM v ARSENAL, Preview - Wenger: "If you love football, you love Rosicky"
- 07 Feb 06:59 WEST HAM, Allardyce: "A bit frustrated about the transfer market"
- 27 Mar 18:34 ITALY/ INTER, Mario Suarez confession: "In January I spoke with Mancini"
- 27 Mar 18:25 ITALY/ LAZIO, City observing Felipe Anderson
- 27 Mar 18:12 PORTUGAL/ PORTO, 13 mlns to Santos for Lucas Lima
- 27 Mar 18:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Eyes on Neil Taylor
- 27 Mar 17:48 ITALY/ AC MILAN, One more rival towards Krajnc
- 27 Mar 17:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Attempting for Begovic again
- 27 Mar 17:24 FRANCE/ PSG, Thiago Motta more and more likely to leave
- 27 Mar 17:12 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Cillessen might be Buffon's heir
- 27 Mar 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Andujar willing to leave if a new goalie is signed
- 27 Mar 16:48 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA DORTMUND, Price is set for Immobile: AC Milan and Lazio ready to offer
- 27 Mar 16:36 FIORENTINA, LAZIO & TORINO: 4 million euros minimum needed for Defrel
- 27 Mar 16:24 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New suggestion for Llorente
- 27 Mar 16:12 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Soriano tempted by Schalke and Dortmund courtship
- 27 Mar 16:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Back for Manolas: AS Roma resist
- 27 Mar 15:51 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, 15 million euros for hiring Wallace back from Braga
- 27 Mar 15:42 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Middlesbrough sign Tiendalli on loan from Swansea City
- 27 Mar 15:33 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Dzeko is one of the main targets
- 27 Mar 15:24 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Keen on Benschop
- 27 Mar 15:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Stoke City, Hughes until 2018
- 27 Mar 15:15 ITALY/ INTER, New plan for Darmian
- 27 Mar 15:12 JUVENTUS, Marchisio about today injury: "I'll tell you about my situation"
- 27 Mar 15:06 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Walcott in demand
- 27 Mar 15:06 BRAZIL/ SANTOS, 3 new European suitors for Lucas Lima
- 27 Mar 15:02 ITALY/ JUVE, TMW- Possible surgery in Rome for Marchisio
- 27 Mar 14:57 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Szczesny weighing up the chance to leave
- 27 Mar 14:56 ARSENAL, Gabriel: "Iíve always wanted to defend"
- 27 Mar 14:52 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "I'd like to stay here"
- 27 Mar 14:44 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Andrť Gomes on target
- 27 Mar 14:42 JUVENTUS, Castellacci about Marchisio serious injury
- 27 Mar 14:40 ITALY/ JUVE, Marchisio out for all the season: subtotal lesion of right ligament
- 27 Mar 14:32 GERMANY/ FC KOLN, New attempt for Carlos Eduardo ready
- 27 Mar 14:19 QATAR/ AL-SADD, From Spain: done for Xavi
- 27 Mar 14:07 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Troubles on Bernardeschi's renewal
- 27 Mar 13:55 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Montella: "Ac Milan? Absolutely just gossip"
- 27 Mar 13:46 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Karnezis's agent: "Napoli? We'll se on 20th May"
- 27 Mar 13:37 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Torino: thinking about Facundo Castro
- 27 Mar 13:18 ARGENTINA/ ESTUDIANTES, A. Pereira: "Porto always in my mind"
- 27 Mar 13:09 ITALY/ INTER, Cruciate injury for Kovacic
- 27 Mar 13:00 ENGLAND, Hodgson: "Walcott has to satisfy his critics with Arsenal"
- 27 Mar 12:42 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners target "New Villa"
- 27 Mar 12:22 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Gunners keen on Cech
- 27 Mar 12:13 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Interest in Reus
- 27 Mar 12:04 BRAZIL, Neymar: "France victory not revenge"
- 27 Mar 11:55 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, New injury blow for Sturridge
- 27 Mar 11:44 ITALY/ ROMA, Strootman will not leave
- 27 Mar 11:29 ITALY/ INTER, 30 mlns from Liverpool for Kovacic, Yaya Toure to replace him
- 27 Mar 11:23 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Niang keen on Genoa Stay
- 27 Mar 11:00 ENGLAND/ MAN UTD. £100m for this summer
- 27 Mar 10:44 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Also West Ham interested in Hernandez
- 27 Mar 10:20 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Duel to Napoli and Palermo on Bueno
While Stoke City management are insisting on having Bosnian international goalkeeper Asmir Begovic (27) renew, the player, a member of Potters since February 2010 and currently on a deal with English club until June 2016, has become again a main item of interest for Arsenal, sinc
Interviewed by transfermarkt.de, Sampdoria midfielder Roberto Soriano has declared: "The transfer market? It's my agent who takes care of the
Interviewed by Estadio Deportivo, Galatasaray winger Nordin Amrabat, currently on loan at Malaga, has declared: "Some Spanish and English clubs a
he 24-year-old began his career at Brazilian side Esporte Clube Vitoria and, but for a short spell as a right winger, has played his entire career at
After renewing his deal with PSG, 20-year-old defender Marquinhos has declared: "This is an important target for me. A great news item. Life is b
Bayern Munich Director of Football Matthias Sammer has declared: "Saying that selling Dante is part of out plans is a stupidity; it's difficu