LIVERPOOL, Carra: "It was Brendan's night"
03.08.2012 20.00 by TM W
© foto di Federico De Luca
Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.
The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.
However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.
"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.
"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.
"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.
"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."
Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.
Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.
He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.
"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.
"Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.
"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."
Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.
He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.
"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"
Other news Premier League (England)
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 31 Jul 06:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "My future? Only God knows"
- 30 Jul 06:19 MANCHESTER CITY, Dzeko: "I am in talk for a new contract"
- 29 Jul 13:41 MANCHESTER UNITED, van Gaal: "I don't sign players for pleasure"
- 29 Jul 06:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Reed: "We'll keep on signing young players"
- 28 Jul 12:43 ARSENAL on Twitter, Colombian goalkeeper Ospina in his new Gunnner kit
- 28 Jul 00:00 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Ospina will provide us a great improvement"
- 27 Jul 06:59 MAN. CITY, Pellegrini: "Jovetic will stay"
- 26 Jul 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "We didn't sign Shaw because..."
- 25 Jul 20:00 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Drogba is coming not because he made history, but 'cause he wants to make more history"
- 25 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Javi Garcia's agent: "We are not in talks with Napoli"
- 24 Jul 08:19 TOTTENHAM, Pochettino: "New signings possible"
- 23 Jul 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 21 Jul 08:19 MAN. UTD, Woodward: "We will invest on the transfer market"
- 20 Jul 08:59 ARSENAL, Wenger: "I can't assure Vermaelen will stay"
- 19 Jul 08:29 QPR, Fernandes: "I would like to keep Taarabt"
- 18 Jul 08:19 ARSENAL, Debuchy: "I'm in one of the biggest clubs in the world"
- 17 Jul 20:01 MANCHESTER UTD, Van Gaal: "My method is always the same"
- 17 Jul 08:30 TOTTEMHAM, Pochettino: "Happy for Lloris"
- 16 Jul 08:15 CHELSEA, Piazon: "I don't know what's going to happen"
- 15 Jul 08:39 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I want to stay for many years"
- 14 Jul 16:01 MANCHESTER UNITED, Agreement with Adidas reached
- 14 Jul 15:15 TOTTENHAM, Medical report on Adebayor's malaria
- 14 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Gazidis: "We will only sign stars"
- 13 Jul 09:57 OL, Fournier: "Grenier could leave"
- 13 Jul 08:59 SWANSEA. Jenkins: "Fernandez? We need no defenders"
- 11 Jul 08:29 ARSENAL, Sanchez: "Happy to be here"
- 10 Jul 08:30 ARSENAL, Arteta's agent: "He is happy in London"
- 08 Jul 08:30 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "There are choices to make"
- 07 Jul 08:59 SOUTHAMPTON, Lovren: "My head is already at Liverpool"
- 04 Jul 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "Ferdinand has accepted our offer"
- 03 Jul 08:19 QPR, Faurlin: "Happy of my new contract"
- 01 Jul 08:15 SWANSEA, Jenkins: "No enquiries for Jenkins"
- 28 Jun 08:29 MAN. UTD, Shaw: "I am here to win trophies"
- 26 Jun 15:00 ARSENAL, Mertesacker : "It’s so special to face Klinsmann"
- 26 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Hernandez: "Very few people have shown faith in me"
- 25 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Oscar: "I will stay"
- 24 Jun 18:15 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "FIFA must apologize to Costa Rica"
- 24 Jun 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Suarez's father-in-law: "He should move to Spain"
- 23 Jun 08:15 MAN. UTD, Fellaini: "I am not looking for a move"
- 22 Jun 08:59 QPR, Mbia: "My dream is to be coached by Mourinho"
- 21 Jun 08:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Training the English NT? Not yet"
- 20 Jun 21:44 CHELSEA, VIDEO: Mourinho: "Ozil is special"
- 20 Jun 20:44 MANCHESTER CITY, Ibrahim Toure dies at 28
- 20 Jun 15:22 CHELSEA,VIDEO: Mourinho: "All the World stops for the World Cup"
- 20 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Jovetic: "I am not intentioned to leave"
- 19 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Macey: "I can’t remember having a bad day here"
- 19 Jun 08:19 MAN. UTD, Buttner: "It's time for me to leave"
- 18 Jun 11:40 ARSENAL, Balotelli signing would represent Wenger's greatest Arsenal gamble
- 18 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Fabregas: "I didn't leave Barça for a specific reason"
- 17 Jun 08:19 CHELSEA. Lukaku: "Proud of Juventus'interest, but.."
- 16 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Wenger: "Campbell will come back to us"
- 14 Jun 08:29 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am happy here"
- 13 Jun 08:15 MAN. CITY, Kolarov's agent: "Happy of my new contract"
- 12 Jun 18:30 CHELSEA, Fabregas: "Blues were the best option, with hunger for winning and an incredible manager"
- 12 Jun 08:19 MAN. CITY, Toure's father: "He won't leave"
- 11 Jun 19:30 ARSENAL, Ozil on World Cup: "Löw made us strong and respected, he deserves to win this time"
- 11 Jun 18:15 ARSENAL, Koscielny on World Cup: "We are not favourites. Experienced player will have to help the young ones"
- 11 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Hazard: "I am not joining PSG"
- 10 Jun 17:00 ARSENAL, Podolski on World Cup: "Passing the group won't be the easy"
- 10 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on World Cup: "Brazil have good chances, Argentina and Spain too. I want to get qualified for the next one with Wales"
- 10 Jun 08:19 WEST BROMWICH, Burton: "We won't sell Thorne"
- 09 Jun 08:15 CHELSEA, Lampard: "Selling Sturridge was a mistake"
- 08 Jun 08:59 CHELSEA, Lukaku: "Many clubs are interested in me"
- 07 Jun 20:59 ARSENAL, Giroud on World Cup: "We reconciled with French fans, we've got good chances to win"
- 07 Jun 08:29 ARSENAL, Koscielny: "We need a striker"
- 06 Jun 15:30 ARSENAL, Mertesacker on World Cup: "We can win it, and we'll need team spirit for that"
- 06 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Sagna on World Cup: "1994 Brazil played in a magical way"
- 06 Jun 08:30 NEWCASTLE, Santon: "Roma and Milan after me"
- 05 Jun 08:19 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "Back to Italy? I don't think so"
- 04 Jun 12:45 ARSENAL, Mertesacker: "Being respected by teammates helps you perform better"
- 04 Jun 08:19 ARSENAL, Cazorla: "I hope Fabregas will join"
- 03 Jun 13:30 ARSENAL, Wenger on his renewal: "I'll keep develop Gunners team and club. We are ready for a new great Arsenal to emerge"
- 03 Jun 08:19 STOKE, Coates: "We hope to sign Diouf"
- 01 Jun 08:59 MAN. UTD, De Gea: "I would like Iniesta to join us"
- 31 May 17:59 LIVERPOOL, Skrtel: "I succeeded in playing so much due to my effort in training"
- 31 May 08:29 MAN. CITY, Aguero's father: "He would be delighted to join Barcelona"
- 30 May 12:15 ARSENAL, Ramsey on the season: "Some frustrating moments, but we finished off strong"
- 30 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Sagna: "I am leaving"
- 29 May 19:15 ARSENAL, Ozil's greetings to Fabianski
- 29 May 08:19 QPR, Redknapp: "I don't think Remy will come back"
- 28 May 19:14 ARSENAL, Ozil: "I want to become Germany legend at World Cup"
- 28 May 08:19 NEWCASTLE, Santon's agent: "Roma and Napoli? Just rumors"
- 27 May 08:19 ARSENAL, Podolski: "I am happy here"
- 26 May 08:15 TOTTENHAM, Vertonghen: "I am happy here"
- 25 May 08:59 SUNDERLAND, Giaccherini: "I am staying"
- 23 May 08:19 SWANSEA, Monk: "Michu not for sale"
- 22 May 08:15 NEWCASTLE, Sissoko's agent: "Open to all proposals"
- 21 May 08:19 LIVERPOOL, Agger: "My future? It's not up to me"
- 20 May 08:19 SOUTHAMPTON, Schneiderlin: "I want Champions League football"
- 19 May 15:00 ARSENAL, Wilshere: "We worked hard for get back winning together with the manager and the fans"
- 19 May 13:30 ARSENAL, Captain Vermaelen after FA Cup lifting: "It was unbelievable, we worked a lot for that"
- 19 May 12:30 ARSENAL, Ramsey on FA Cup victory score: "It was the most important goal of my time here"
- 19 May 11:15 ARSENAL, Wenger celebrates: "I tried desperately not to go to penalties"
- 19 May 08:15 MAN. CITY, Milner: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 18 May 08:59 TOTTENHAM, Paulinho: "No regrets about coming here"
- 17 May 17:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Cazorla: "It's been tough getting here. I love the Wembley one game-final formula"
- 17 May 16:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Giroud: "I'm used to manage the pressure"
- 17 May 15:00 FA Cup Final Preview - HULL CITY, Bruce: "Of course Arsenal are the favourite ones, but that's a one-off game, which often gives shocking outcomes"
- 17 May 14:00 FA Cup Final Preview - ARSENAL, Ozil: "Excited for my Wembley debut. We had troubles, now we want to repay the fans"
- 01 Aug 11:45 HUNGARY/ HALADAS, Two Italian and one Belgian suitors for Nemeth and Radò
- 01 Aug 11:30 MLS - USA/ CHICAGO FIRE, Approaching Jermaine Jones
- 01 Aug 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Quintero more and more likely to join
- 01 Aug 10:58 ITALY/ AC MILAN, El Shaarawy: "I feel a lot of confidence and trust in me. I intend to repay it all"
- 01 Aug 10:38 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Samp: signed Bergessio from Catania
- 01 Aug 10:36 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Genoa: arrives Iago Falque from Tottenham
- 01 Aug 10:16 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Palermo, Hernandez's agent: thinking about Sunderland
- 01 Aug 10:06 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Porto's Juan Quintero will cost Gunners £32m
- 01 Aug 09:45 ITALY/ JUVE, Evra suggests Nani
- 01 Aug 09:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Vermaelen is to hold talks with Gunners
- 01 Aug 09:00 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, AEK sign Barbosa
- 01 Aug 08:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Jenkinson joins West Ham
- 01 Aug 08:30 FRANCE/ LILLE, Also Trabzonspor after Basa
- 01 Aug 08:15 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Corvalan joins Newell's
- 01 Aug 08:00 RUSSIA/ DYNAMO, Valbuena about to join
- 01 Aug 07:40 ITALY/ LAZIO, Also Sanè on the wishlist
- 01 Aug 07:17 SWEDEN/ OFFICIAL, Mellberg retires
- 01 Aug 06:57 PSG, Cavani: "I am happy in Paris"
- 01 Aug 06:39 HAMBURG, Beiersdorfer: "Behrami is about to join"
- 01 Aug 06:19 MAN. CITY, Milner: "I would like to stay, but.."
- 01 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "We are not after Callejon and Hernandez"
- 01 Aug 02:00 JUVENTUS, Giovinco's agent: "He will stay"
- 31 Jul 23:37 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Still keen on Campbell
- 31 Jul 23:17 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Independiente sign Montoya
- 31 Jul 22:59 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Rossi joins Cordoba
- 31 Jul 22:39 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Also Roma after Fellaini
- 31 Jul 22:20 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Medjani quits Monaco
- 31 Jul 22:00 ITALY/ GENOA, New attempt for Roncaglia
- 31 Jul 21:37 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Two new players for Eibar
- 31 Jul 21:17 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE, Ferreyra likely to join
- 31 Jul 20:59 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez intended to leave
- 31 Jul 20:39 FRANCE/ EVIAN, Two English clubs after Wass
- 31 Jul 20:20 ITALY/ SAMPDORIA, Three-year-deal for Bergessio
- 31 Jul 20:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Getafe sign Guaita
- 31 Jul 19:45 ITALY/ LAZIO, Keen on Bruma
- 31 Jul 19:30 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Auction for Ontivero
- 31 Jul 19:15 FRANCE/ PSG, Barcelona's offer for Marquinhos refused
- 31 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Genoa sign Rincon
- 31 Jul 18:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Bastia sign Brandão
- 31 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Interest for Antunes
- 31 Jul 18:14 ENGLAND/ NEWCASTLE; Ben Arfa's agent: "
- 31 Jul 18:07 FRANCE/ AS MONACO, Majestic offer for defeating Arsenal on Douglas Costa's pursue
- 31 Jul 18:00 ITALY/ INTER, Bacca: "I'm happy in Sevilla"
- 31 Jul 17:44 BRAZIL/ SAO PAOLO, Pato: "'ve received several offers"
- 31 Jul 17:28 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho confirms Torres will stay
- 31 Jul 17:13 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Tottenham: Rose signing of a new five-year contract
- 31 Jul 16:58 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Prcic joins Rennes
- 31 Jul 16:41 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Silenzi Jr. joins Inter
- 31 Jul 16:14 SPAIN/ ATLETICO MADRID, Keen on Cerci
- 31 Jul 16:05 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Stuttgart defeat Arsenal: arrives Spanoudakis
According to latest rumours reported in both Colombian and English media, highlighted by Sky Sports UK, Colombian international offensive midfielder and winger Juan Fernando Quintero (21) is getting more and more likely to leave Porto for joining Arsenal. The cost of the trade fo
Interviewed by Sky, Andrea D'Amico, agent of Juventus attacking midfielder Sebastian Giovinco, has declared: "I think that he will stay, even
Barcelona new midfielder Ivan Rakitic has declared about his team-mate Xavi: "It’s great news that he’s staying here. He’s a cl
Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez has declared: "The future, only god knows. There is competition here and I will continue to work hard
PSG forward Edinson Cavani has declared: "I am happy in Paris. I have a contract to honor. I am calm, I prefer to stay. I feel well here. But I k