REAL MADRID, Albiol: "I'm really excited and want to stay"
07.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
Raúl Albiol isn't hiding the happiness which he has been overcome by after his contract with Real Madrid was extended until 2017. The only thing on the mind of the Real Madrid defender, who kicked off the season by playing against Los Angeles Galaxy, is to reciprocate, on the pitch, the trust shown by the club, Mourinho and the fans: "I'm really excited and want to stay on at Real Madrid. The club and its coaching staff trust in me and now I have to show them they are not wrong. I am very happy and I hope to be here until I retire."
Congratulations on getting your contract extended until 2017. I guess you must be very happy...
I am very happy because this means that the club and its coaching staff trust in me being here. I really feel at home at Real Madrid and I'm very happy. Now I have to show that they are not wrong and that I can be a good player for the team.
Also, this trust comes a month after another reason for celebration: your second European Football Championship.
We're seeing, with Spain, some wonderful years which will be remembered forever. I'm lucky enough to be living though them from the inside and the team is fantastic and has proven that during the last championships. Let's hope it carries on like that for many years to come. Although we know it's difficult, the team will never be short of ambition.
Having your contract extended brings you closer to your goal of being at Real Madrid until you retire.
In the world of football you never know because anything can happen during each season. I'm really excited and want to stay on at the club. I'm very happy here and hope to be here until I retire.
How has Albiol grown as a footballer since having Mourinho as coach?
The coach is very demanding and gets the best performance out of each player. He makes you concentrate and be involved. He's a winner. You have to be there and really make an effort.
What's the key to his success?
I guess he has a lot because he's been successful for many years now, winning lots of trophies and training the best teams in the world. He understands a lot about football, devotes a lot of time to it, and is on top of everything. He knows how to get the best from the players. That's his skill.
Albiol, Pepe, Ramos, Arbeloa, Varane, Marcelo, Carvalho, Coentrão… Many players make Real Madrid's defence the best in the world. Do you agree?
We have great defenders and a great team.
Last season you won the best Liga in history and you set the mark really high. What goals have you set yourselves for this season?
To win all the trophies we can, although, depending on how the season goes, we'll see if we're capable of achieving this or not. We shouldn't just concentrate on one. We'll play all four and we'll go after them all.
Pepe said in the press room that the team's camaraderie was crucial to winning la Liga. Does the team really get on that well?
There's a great atmosphere, despite many things that were said last year. Also, we have great footballers and the year before we showed that we can go further and keep on growing. We have to keep on showing this during the coach's third year to achieve our goals and improve on last season.
The first opportunity to show this the Supercopa de España against Barcelona...
It's a trophy that's not far away. We're training to get in shape and get to the official matches in the best possible way. Last year we didn't get it, so let's hope this season is different and that we win it.
Lastly, what message would you like to send to Real Madrid fans?
Together we'll try to fight for all the trophies. We particularly want to win the European Cup. On a personal level I'll try to improve, shine when I have the opportunity to do so and help the team as much as I can. We must come together because that's the most important thing.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 28 Apr 14:10 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Saul: "The best goal of my career"
- 28 Apr 12:10 BARCELONA - Bartra to leave
- 28 Apr 11:54 REAL MADRID - Bumper bid for de Gea
- 28 Apr 11:19 BARCELONA - Preferential option on Saul Niguez
- 27 Apr 17:58 REAL MADRID - Ronaldo race for fitness ahead of CL clash
- 27 Apr 13:52 BARCELONA - Six defenders could leave
- 27 Apr 11:25 BARCELONA -Target Thiago Silva
- 27 Apr 11:14 VALENCIA - Try to appoint Prandelli
- 26 Apr 13:39 REAL SOCIEDAD - Inigo Martinez extends his contract
- 26 Apr 09:35 CHELSEA - Diego Costa makes surprise appearance in Madrid
- 24 Apr 21:25 LA LIGA - Villarreal 0 - 0 Real Sociedad - Full Time Result
- 24 Apr 21:21 LA LIGA - Villareal 0-0 Real Sociedad
- 24 Apr 19:04 LA LIGA - Getafe 2-2 Valemcia (FT)
- 24 Apr 18:35 LA LIGA - Villareal FC vs Real Sociedad FC (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 18:05 LA LIGA- Getafe 0-0 Valencia (HT)
- 24 Apr 16:50 LA LIGA - Sevilla FC 2-0 Real Betis Balón Pie (FT)
- 24 Apr 16:33 LA LIGA - Getafe FC vs Valencia FC
- 24 Apr 14:35 LA LIGA - SEVILLA DERBY: Sevilla FC VS Real Betis Balón Pie (Lineup)
- 24 Apr 12:54 LA LIGA - Levante 2-2 Athletic (FT)
- 23 Apr 21:26 LA LIGA - FC Barcelona 6-0 Sporting Gijon (FT)
- 23 Apr 20:14 LA LIGA - Barcelona 1-0 Sporting de Gijón (Half Time)
- 23 Apr 19:26 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 1-0 Málaga (FT)
- 23 Apr 18:14 LA LIGA - Atlético Madrid 0-0 Málaga (half time)
- 23 Apr 17:00 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Full-time Report
- 23 Apr 16:46 REAL MADRID- Benzema injured: a doubt for Champions League semi-final
- 23 Apr 16:01 LA LIGA/Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid Halftime Report
- 23 Apr 14:55 LA LIGA - Rayo Vallecano Vs Real Madrid Lineup
- 23 Apr 08:33 BILBAO - Iñigo Martinez as a replacement for Laporte
- 23 Apr 08:18 SEVILLA - Set to battle Inter for Feghouli
- 23 Apr 07:43 VALENCIA - Keen on Marco Asensio
- 22 Apr 19:42 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo, Casemiro and Carvajal missing for Rayo trip
- 22 Apr 19:25 BARCELONA - Luis Enrique: I hope we have overcome the doldrums
- 22 Apr 14:29 REAL MADRID - Ramos will retire at Madrid
- 22 Apr 11:30 VALENCIA, Mustafi: "I'm fine here, but there are many offers for me"
- 21 Apr 14:09 BARCELONA - Neymar to miss the Copa America
- 20 Apr 22:55 LA LIGA / Real Madrid 3-0 Villareal
- 20 Apr 22:17 LA LIGA / Malaga 1-1 Rayo Vallecano (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA / Valencia 4-0 Eibar (Ended)
- 20 Apr 22:03 LA LIGA / Athletic Club 0-1 Atletico Madrid (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:55 LA LIGA / Sporting Gijon 2-1 Sevilla (Ended)
- 20 Apr 21:01 LA LIGA / Deportivo La Coruña 0-8 FC Barcelona (Ended)
- 20 Apr 20:49 LA LIGA / Valencia 3-0 Eibar (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:39 LA LIGA / Athletic 0-1 Atletico de Madrid (first half)
- 20 Apr 20:38 LA LIGA - Real Madrid - Villareal Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:41 LA LIGA - Valencia - Eibar Line
- 20 Apr 19:30 LA LIGA - Málaga - Rayo Vallecano Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:18 LA LIGA - Sporting Gijon - Sevilla Lineup
- 20 Apr 19:09 LA LIGA - Athletic - Atletico Madrid lineup
- 20 Apr 18:26 LA LIGA - Deportivo La Coruña - FC Barcelona lineup
- 20 Apr 11:46 BARCELONA - Hummels not for sale
- 19 Apr 21:44 Espanyol v Celta Vigo 1-1 / Real Betis v Las Palmas 1-0
- 19 Apr 17:30 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Neymar focused on turning Barca around"
- 19 Apr 15:51 ATLETICO MADRID - Godin: Great relationship with Suarez
- 19 Apr 15:33 REAL MADRID - Gareth Bale and Carvajal will not be against Villareal
- 19 Apr 12:56 Barcelona, Atletico or Real: Who has the toughest run in?
- 15 Apr 17:37 BARCELONA - Dani Alves makes light of Barcelona's European exit
- 14 Apr 14:54 UCL/ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We never stopped believing"
- 13 Apr 09:10 REAL MADRID, Benzema: "Blancos for Champions League and La Liga double"
- 12 Apr 18:09 REAL MADRID, Modric: "We can go through thanks to our supporters"
- 12 Apr 11:49 UCL/BARCELONA - Barca pair to miss Champions League tie
- 11 Apr 10:29 EUROPA LEAGUE - Nolito ‘Celta practically in Europe, but...’
- 10 Apr 22:15 LA LIGA - Full time: Athletic Bilbao 1 - Rayo Vallecano
- 10 Apr 22:14 LA LIGA - Full time: Villarreal 2 - 0 Getafe
- 10 Apr 22:08 LA LIGA - Full time: Valencia 2 - 1 Sevilla
- 10 Apr 22:04 LA LIGA - Full time: Sporting Gijon 0 - 1 Celta Vigo
- 10 Apr 15:00 ATLETICO MADRID target BENFICA's Gaitan
- 09 Apr 21:52 LA LIGA - Saturday's Scores
- 08 Apr 07:26 SEVILLA - Emery: "A moderate joy, we still got 90 minutes to play"
- 08 Apr 06:49 ATHLETIC BILBAO - Aduriz: "We can do a come back in the second leg"
- 07 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Xavi: "I want to coach Barcelona"
- 07 Apr 09:04 REAL MADRID - Benzema injured against Wolfsburg
- 06 Apr 12:22 BARCELONA FC, Ter Stegen: "No agreement with City. I'll talk to Barça after season runs out"
- 06 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Xavi: "I want to coach Barcelona"
- 05 Apr 22:16 ATLETICO MADRID - 'We are still alive' says Luis
- 05 Apr 20:58 LA LIGA - La Liga report Cristiano Ronaldo abuse
- 05 Apr 08:32 LA LIGA / LEVANTE - GIJON: Final Score
- 04 Apr 21:04 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - Piqué warns Atlético: Barcelona could be unstoppable
- 04 Apr 08:32 LA LIGA / LEVANTE - GIJON: Final Score
- 03 Apr 22:58 La Liga - Sunday's Scores
- 03 Apr 12:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa: "My future? I don't know, but I can't imagine myself anywhere but here"
- 03 Apr 10:28 LA LIGA - Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid: Cristiano Ronaldo grabs late El Clasico winner
- 02 Apr 21:45 LIGA / VALENCIA, Ayestaran: "Happy with the team in spite of the defeat"
- 02 Apr 09:37 BARCELONA - Ter Stegen wants guaranteed minutes
- 01 Apr 22:06 ATLÉTICO MADRID - Gimenez would be priority of the Real Madrid
- 01 Apr 21:27 REAL MADRID - Raphael Varane, low for the Classic
- 01 Apr 19:22 LA LIGA/BARCELONA - Busquets to make a counter-offer for his extension
- 01 Apr 15:32 LA LIGA/ VALENCIA - Ayestaran could stay
- 31 Mar 23:13 LA LIGA - Mourinho set to take over at Valencia?
- 31 Mar 11:12 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I feel more settled this year"
- 31 Mar 10:44 VALENCIA - Bale: "Neville will bounce back"
- 31 Mar 09:32 VALENCIA - Neville has been dismissed
- 30 Mar 21:32 VALENCIA - Neville leaves: "The results didn't fulfill the expectations. Thanks to all"
- 30 Mar 21:04 BARCELONA - Mathieu's season is over: he broke his meniscus
- 30 Mar 17:22 VALENCIA/ OFFICIAL, Gary Neville got sacked. Ayestarán appointed caretaker
- 30 Mar 11:30 BARCELONA - Messi joins illustrious list of international footballers
- 29 Mar 22:02 ATLETICO MADRID - Tevez: "Simeone called me before I went back to Boca Juniors"
- 29 Mar 19:36 REAL MADRID - Asprilla "They don't show James any love at Real Madrid"
- 29 Mar 17:26 Football Leaks reveals the fees paid by Porto for Casemiro
- 29 Apr 15:01 LIVERPOOL - Klopp: "With Anfield help, we can do it"
- 29 Apr 14:24 TOTTENHAM - Dembele: "We have to believe"
- 29 Apr 13:57 TOTTENHAM - Le Tissier: "Wouldn't be a surprise if Pochettino left"
- 29 Apr 13:31 ARSENAL - Wenger urges fans to get behind team
- 29 Apr 13:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Lippi can bring Jackson Martinez with him
- 29 Apr 12:51 ARSENAL - Wenger: "We work together closely"
- 29 Apr 12:46 WBA - Pulis: "Opportunity for the youngsters to play games"
- 29 Apr 12:26 CHELSEA - River set to bid for Falcao
- 29 Apr 12:12 EVERTON - Martinez in the brick of being sacked
- 29 Apr 12:01 ARSENAL - Eyes on Mkhitaryan
- 29 Apr 11:43 TOTTENHAM - Lead on Borja Baston
- 29 Apr 11:31 ARSENAL - Wenger: No big injury problems"
- 29 Apr 11:14 BORUSSIA DORTMUD - £80m budget
- 29 Apr 11:02 LEICESTER - Trophy in the city
- 29 Apr 10:56 VILLAREAL - Bakambu: "Not scared for the second leg"
- 29 Apr 10:42 SUNDERLAND , Borini: "Difficult a comeback to Italy"
- 29 Apr 10:21 VILLAREAL, Marcelino: "A bit closer to the Final"
- 29 Apr 10:09 FIORENTINA - Join the chase for Driussi
- 29 Apr 10:00 LIVERPOOL, Free Ings costs Reds 6.5M pounds
- 29 Apr 09:59 TOTTENHAM - Alli banned
- 29 Apr 09:46 LAZIO - Biglia to leave
- 29 Apr 09:30 WEST HAM - Bilic wants to stop Cresswell from leaving
- 29 Apr 09:21 VALENCIA - Jardim new target
- 29 Apr 09:15 WOLFSBURG - A Chinese suitor for Luiz Gustavo
- 29 Apr 09:00 BORUSSIA DORTMUND - Back for Dragovic
- 29 Apr 08:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Benatia more and more likely to join
- 29 Apr 08:30 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Koulibaly's agent: "Several important clubs on him, but not it's time for the pitch"
- 29 Apr 08:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chelsea call Piazon and Hector back
- 29 Apr 08:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, James Rodriguez's agent working on future away from Blancos: in talks with 2 top clubs
- 29 Apr 01:30 GERMANY/ HOFFENHEIM, One more suitor for Sule
- 29 Apr 01:15 ITALY/ FROSINONE, Crecco on target
- 29 Apr 01:00 HOLLAND/ AJAX, El Ghazi wants Premier League: Liverpool probing waters
- 29 Apr 00:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Suggestion for Ben Arfa
- 29 Apr 00:30 ITALY/ SASSUOLO, Moving towards Parigini
- 29 Apr 00:15 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Approaching Bradley Dack
- 29 Apr 00:00 ITALY/ INTER, Santon towards departure: 5 suitors for him
- 28 Apr 23:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Fiorentina willing to hijack Budimir from Lazio
- 28 Apr 23:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Fritz renews for Werder one year longer
- 28 Apr 23:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Cash amount ready for signing Rudiger
- 28 Apr 23:02 GERMANY/ BAYER LEVERKUSEN, Willing to use option for bringing Danny Da Costa back from Ingolstadt
- 28 Apr 22:49 ENGLAND/ CRYSTAL PALACE, Eyes on Van Aanholt
- 28 Apr 22:22 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Shay Logan renews for Aberdeen
- 28 Apr 21:56 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA FC (FT)
- 28 Apr 21:55 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 1-0 Liverpool Full-Time report
- 28 Apr 21:47 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2-2 SEVILLA
- 28 Apr 21:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Sassuolo, duel to Torino on Ferrari
- 28 Apr 21:15 BARCELONA - Target Lacazette
- 28 Apr 21:03 SPAIN/ LAS PALMAS, Roque Mesa's agent: "Fiorentina? Yes, they are interested. Several surveys from England, Germany and Italy"
- 28 Apr 20:57 EUROPA LEAGUE / SHAKHTAR D. 2- 1 SEVILLA (HT)
- 28 Apr 20:53 EUROPA LEAGUE Villarreal 0-0 Liverpool Half-Time report
While Marcello Lippi becoming AC Milan new manager seems to be becoming more and more of a realistic solution, Colombian international striker Jackson Martinez (29), playing for Guangzhou Evergrande since last February, might be leaving China, at least on loan, and join
Fiorentina are reportedly keen on Sebastian Driussi, who currently plays for River Plate.
The 20-years-old striker has been targeted also by Inter
Cedric Bakambu told SkySport: "It has been a great night, which will remain in history. Now we have to play a brave second leg to get the final.
Mousa Dembele told skysports that the Tottenham team must still have belief that they can win the Premier League title.
"We have to belie
Rennes managed a late goal to draw the game at home to Monaco.
RENNES 1 - 1 MONACO
Sio 81' Costa 14
Borussia Dortmund are reportedly expected to have a budget of over £100m to spend this summer, according to Bild.
Given that M