REAL MADRID, Albiol: "I'm really excited and want to stay"
07.08.2012 17.30 by TM W
© foto di Hernandez/Alterphotos/Image Sp
Raúl Albiol isn't hiding the happiness which he has been overcome by after his contract with Real Madrid was extended until 2017. The only thing on the mind of the Real Madrid defender, who kicked off the season by playing against Los Angeles Galaxy, is to reciprocate, on the pitch, the trust shown by the club, Mourinho and the fans: "I'm really excited and want to stay on at Real Madrid. The club and its coaching staff trust in me and now I have to show them they are not wrong. I am very happy and I hope to be here until I retire."
Congratulations on getting your contract extended until 2017. I guess you must be very happy...
I am very happy because this means that the club and its coaching staff trust in me being here. I really feel at home at Real Madrid and I'm very happy. Now I have to show that they are not wrong and that I can be a good player for the team.
Also, this trust comes a month after another reason for celebration: your second European Football Championship.
We're seeing, with Spain, some wonderful years which will be remembered forever. I'm lucky enough to be living though them from the inside and the team is fantastic and has proven that during the last championships. Let's hope it carries on like that for many years to come. Although we know it's difficult, the team will never be short of ambition.
Having your contract extended brings you closer to your goal of being at Real Madrid until you retire.
In the world of football you never know because anything can happen during each season. I'm really excited and want to stay on at the club. I'm very happy here and hope to be here until I retire.
How has Albiol grown as a footballer since having Mourinho as coach?
The coach is very demanding and gets the best performance out of each player. He makes you concentrate and be involved. He's a winner. You have to be there and really make an effort.
What's the key to his success?
I guess he has a lot because he's been successful for many years now, winning lots of trophies and training the best teams in the world. He understands a lot about football, devotes a lot of time to it, and is on top of everything. He knows how to get the best from the players. That's his skill.
Albiol, Pepe, Ramos, Arbeloa, Varane, Marcelo, Carvalho, Coentrão… Many players make Real Madrid's defence the best in the world. Do you agree?
We have great defenders and a great team.
Last season you won the best Liga in history and you set the mark really high. What goals have you set yourselves for this season?
To win all the trophies we can, although, depending on how the season goes, we'll see if we're capable of achieving this or not. We shouldn't just concentrate on one. We'll play all four and we'll go after them all.
Pepe said in the press room that the team's camaraderie was crucial to winning la Liga. Does the team really get on that well?
There's a great atmosphere, despite many things that were said last year. Also, we have great footballers and the year before we showed that we can go further and keep on growing. We have to keep on showing this during the coach's third year to achieve our goals and improve on last season.
The first opportunity to show this the Supercopa de España against Barcelona...
It's a trophy that's not far away. We're training to get in shape and get to the official matches in the best possible way. Last year we didn't get it, so let's hope this season is different and that we win it.
Lastly, what message would you like to send to Real Madrid fans?
Together we'll try to fight for all the trophies. We particularly want to win the European Cup. On a personal level I'll try to improve, shine when I have the opportunity to do so and help the team as much as I can. We must come together because that's the most important thing.
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 21 Oct 20:21 VALENCIA keen on Las Palmas' Vicente GOMEZ
- 21 Oct 09:01 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I want to finish my career here"
- 20 Oct 18:33 OFFICIAL - FC SEVILLE sign B squad forward IVI on new contract
- 20 Oct 18:17 LAS PALMAS about to announce new contract for ROQUE MESA
- 19 Oct 21:03 REAL MADRID - Modric: "Our target is the league, but winning the Champions League..."
- 19 Oct 16:04 REAL BETIS challenge Sampdoria on Hungarian winger KADAR
- 19 Oct 08:12 BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Messi may decide a move to England"
- 17 Oct 14:39 BARCELONA FC announce NEYMAR will pen new contract next Friday
- 17 Oct 10:22 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Carrasco can be whatever he wants to be"
- 15 Oct 14:44 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "Griezmann responded brilliantly to Ribery"
- 13 Oct 18:52 VALENCIA, Diego ALVES: "I want to sign a new contract for my current club. I know I save a lot of penalties, nonetheless they make me nervous"
- 13 Oct 17:06 REAL MADRID - Kroos: "My plan is to retire here"
- 13 Oct 11:47 OFFICIAL - ATHLETIC BILBAO, Markel Susaeta extends until 2019
- 12 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 12 Oct 07:30 REAL MADRID, Casemiro: "I'll never join Barcelona"
- 11 Oct 18:37 Former Real Madrid star Michel SALGADO makes an offer for purchasing CELTA VIGO
- 11 Oct 11:43 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE, Lionel Scaloni joins Sampaoli's staff
- 10 Oct 21:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsalijko: "I would like to play, but I don't think to leave"
- 10 Oct 18:05 ATLETICO MADRID - Vrsaljko aims to prove his worth to Simeone
- 10 Oct 17:14 REAL MADRID - Sergio Ramos will stop 10 days
- 08 Oct 22:51 REAL BETIS, Adán: "European top teams keen on me, but I love this club"
- 08 Oct 09:08 BARCELONA - Jordi Alba will stop for ten days
- 07 Oct 22:04 BARCELONA - Rakitic: "I don't play a lot, I don't what to say, I just work hard"
- 07 Oct 14:56 ATLETICO MADRID, Gabi after new contract: "I'm happy and proud"
- 07 Oct 10:14 ARSENAL , Hleb: "Wenger like a father, he trusted me"
- 04 Oct 16:14 ATLETICO MADRID - Gabi set to sign contract extension
- 04 Oct 13:59 CROATIA - Rakitic stays in BARCELONA for an Achille's tendon injury
- 03 Oct 23:04 REAL MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo: "My son got only one idol: his dad"
- 03 Oct 19:18 VALENCIA v ATLETICO MADRID - Scouts from 9 clubs at Mestalla yesterday
- 03 Oct 16:32 REAL MADRID - Zidane: "There is no crisis, but we got some problems"
- 03 Oct 11:52 REAL MADRID, Zidane: "We can't carry on like this"
- 03 Oct 08:31 BARCELONA, Enrique: "I am the one responsible for this defeat"
- 01 Oct 19:27 REAL MADRID - Medical report on MODRIC
- 29 Sep 15:48 VALENCIA - Half fans not thrilled with PRANDELLI, according to poll
- 29 Sep 09:49 SEVILLE, Balague: “Wonderful seeing Nasri enjoying his football again”
- 28 Sep 12:47 OFFICIAL - SEVILLE: Iborra extends until 2020
- 27 Sep 14:44 VALENCIA - 5 names for managing position
- 27 Sep 11:49 ATLETICO MADRID, Gameiro: "Simeone told me he wanted another striker"
- 27 Sep 10:33 ATLETICO MADRID, Griezmann praises his manager Simeone
- 26 Sep 22:28 BARCELONA - Pique could be tempted by a move to the MLS
- 26 Sep 16:15 BARCELONA FC - 20 players called up for CL clash against 'Gladbach
- 25 Sep 21:29 ATLETICO MADRID - Augusto will undergo surgery, out seven months
- 25 Sep 13:46 Liga/ LEGANES v VALENCIA 1-2 FT
- 24 Sep 21:42 LIGA/ USD LAS PALMAS 2 VS 2 REAL MADRID
- 24 Sep 20:57 MALAGA, Al-Thani: "I fully trust Juande RAMOS"
- 24 Sep 11:32 REAL MADRID - Marcelo misses LAS PALMAS clash due to calf strain
- 23 Sep 13:06 Zidane : "Barcelona will miss Messi"
- 23 Sep 09:03 SPORTING GIJON - Douglas Pereira gets injured resting on the team bus
- 22 Sep 22:32 LIGA/ La Liga Results FT
- 22 Sep 12:03 BARCELONA - Iniesta: "We deserved to win with ATLETICO"
- 22 Sep 09:22 BARCELONA, Iniesta: "We did enough to win the game"
- 22 Sep 08:31 ATLETICO, Simeone: "In the second half we played the game we wanted"
- 20 Sep 17:22 BARCA-Umtiti out of Atletico clash
- 20 Sep 17:13 Luis Enrique-"Barca have to beat Atleti to win La Liga"
- 18 Sep 20:47 Liga/ Espanyol 0 vs 1 Real Madrid HT
- 18 Sep 19:46 Liga/Espanyol vs Real Madrid; starting line up
- 18 Sep 13:03 LIGA/ OSASUNA 0-0 CELTA VIGO - FT
- 18 Sep 11:17 VALENCIA - Garay injured, out 2-3 weeks
- 17 Sep 20:35 Diego Simeone : Griezmann deserves Balon D'or
- 17 Sep 17:00 LIGA BBVA/ ATLETICO MADRID 5-0 SPORTING GIJON - FT
- 17 Sep 14:51 LIGA - LLEGANES 1-5 BARCELONA - Full Time
- 17 Sep 09:59 ATLETICO MADRID, Simeone: "I am here because I want to be here"
- 16 Sep 16:30 OFFICIAL - Young goalie Domenech extends for VALENCIA
- 16 Sep 12:16 BARCELONA - Umtiti: "I like to play against Messi, Neymar and Suarez in training"
- 15 Sep 12:00 BARCELONA -Neymar transfer to Blaugrana investigated
- 14 Sep 16:23 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Granada target Kevin-Prince BOATENG
- 13 Sep 16:15 OFFICIAL - Roberto ROSALES extends for MALAGA
- 12 Sep 15:45 OFFICIAL - Alvarez and Yesga signed on first pro contract by ATHLETIC BILBAO
- 11 Sep 14:29 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "I should be offered a ten-year deal"
- 09 Sep 16:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos celebrates 11 Blancos years: "My presentation jersey is still with me, at home"
- 08 Sep 16:30 BARCELONA FC, Alcacer's first conference: "Improving will be easier, due to such champions being here"
- 08 Sep 14:15 REAL MADRID, CR7: "I'm fine"
- 08 Sep 08:05 VALENCIA, Munir: "We will achieve qualification to Champions League"
- 07 Sep 19:45 REAL MADRID, Bale: "We are aiming to Liga. Wales? We want to keep on making history"
- 07 Sep 16:15 REAL BETIS - Veteran RUBEN CASTRO about to extend
- 07 Sep 15:15 BARCELONA FC - MESSI back training with squad
- 06 Sep 20:13 CELTA VIGO star Orellana out for 4 weeks
- 06 Sep 19:31 SEVILLE signing Nasri could miss next game
- 06 Sep 15:00 REAL MADRID - Figo: "Ronaldo could join Barcelona"
- 06 Sep 14:47 BARCELONA - Arroyo: "Being in the United States will help to obtain new sources"
- 06 Sep 13:33 SEVILLA - President Castro about Navas: "This year no interest or negotiation"
- 06 Sep 10:49 REAL MADRID not sure on extending Pepe's deal: it expires in June 2017
- 05 Sep 21:29 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I am pleased Mahrez decided to stay at Leicester"
- 05 Sep 19:04 VALENCIA - Nani: "I wanted to play in La Liga: a big chance for me"
- 05 Sep 09:19 BARCELONA star Alba believes Alcacer is a 'great signing'
- 04 Sep 15:50 REAL MADRID stas Bale and Kroos offered a new contract
- 03 Sep 18:31 MALAGA star Camacho happy to stay despite WEST BROM interest
- 03 Sep 12:30 GRANADA - Angulo fails doping test after a game played on 20 July with former team
- 02 Sep 16:03 REAL MADRID - No serious injury for MORATA, he will stay with SPAIN
- 01 Sep 19:39 OFFICIAL - Diego REYES joins ESPANYOL
- 31 Aug 14:40 OFFICIAL - GRANADA sign Israeli winger ATZILI
- 30 Aug 23:41 OFFICIAL - KRAVETS joins GRANADA
- 30 Aug 20:46 OFFICIAL - Borja VIGUERA joins Sporting GIJON
- 28 Aug 09:30 ATLETICO MADRID - Simeone: "We must work hard to look what we're looking for"
- 26 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - Barça loan DOUGLAS to Sporting Gijón
- 25 Aug 18:15 David LOPEZ about to join ESPANYOL back: numbers on the trade
- 24 Aug 14:16 REAL MADRID - Bale: "I'll never forget this year"
- 22 Aug 21:00 OFFICIAL - Nicolas Pareja extends for SEVILLE
- 19 Aug 07:36 OFFICIAL - SPORTING GIJON extend Abelardo Fernandez's deal until 2020
- 17 Aug 18:31 OFFICIAL - GRANADA loan Leganés Venezuelan striker Machís
- 23 Oct 22:21 Liga/ REAL MADRID v ATHLETIC BILBAO 2-1
- 23 Oct 21:54 Serie A/ ROMA v PALERMO 4-1 FT
- 23 Oct 21:25 CHELSEA - Conte: "Great respect for everyone, nothing happened with Jose”
- 23 Oct 20:53 PL/ MAN UNITED, Mata: "Painful result, we must learn from our mistakes"
- 23 Oct 20:22 MAN UNITED boss Mourinho mad at Conte for crazy celebration after 4-0
- 23 Oct 19:42 CHELSEA, Conte: "We did not concede anything"
- 23 Oct 19:23 MAN UNITED, Mourinho: "This game started 1-0"
- 23 Oct 18:53 SOUTHAMPTON, Puel: "An interesting point with good spirit"
- 23 Oct 18:28 MAN CITY, Guardiola: "Stones was not the reason"
- 23 Oct 18:16 PL/ CHELSEA 4-0 MANCHESTER UNITED - FT
- 23 Oct 17:01 LIGA BBVA/ SEVILLE 1-0 ATLETICO MADRID - FT
- 23 Oct 16:49 PL/ CHELSEA 2-0 MANCHESTER UNITED - HT
- 23 Oct 16:13 CHELSEA youngster Chalobah to pen new deal
- 23 Oct 15:55 SERIE A / Full Time scores Matchday 9
- 23 Oct 15:29 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY 1-1 SOUTHAMPTON - FT
- 23 Oct 15:26 NAPOLI considering Ighalo move in January
- 23 Oct 15:04 PL/ CHELSEA v MANCHESTER UNITED - Official Line Ups
- 23 Oct 14:47 SERIE A / Half Time scores Matchday 9
- 23 Oct 14:41 CHELSEA, Courtois: "Conte put in a new regime"
- 23 Oct 14:16 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY 0-1 SOUTHAMPTON - HT
- 23 Oct 14:13 LIVERPOOL - Insigne's agent keen to enter talks with Reds
- 23 Oct 13:50 MAN CITY - "No truth about Alaba" says Rummenigge
- 23 Oct 13:23 BAYERN MUNICH set to bid £65m for EVERTON star Lukaku
- 23 Oct 12:56 JUVENTUS star Dybala to stay out 10-15 days after thigh injury
- 23 Oct 12:32 PL/ MANCHESTER CITY v SOUTHAMPTON - Official Line Ups
- 23 Oct 12:02 WEST HAM - Bilic: "Dramatic end, our goal is not offide"
- 23 Oct 11:30 JUVENTUS - Allegri: "This incident doesn't have to influence our season
- 23 Oct 11:03 LIVERPOOL - Henderson: "It's too early to speak about the title race"
- 23 Oct 10:35 INTER - New owners to appoint Blanc if De Boer is sacked
- 23 Oct 10:04 BARCELONA - Iniesta injury update: it's the collateral ligament
- 23 Oct 09:32 MAN UNITED - Mourinho: "I'm not a better manager after last bad months at CHELSEA"
- 23 Oct 09:01 MAN UNITED captain Rooney dropped for CHELSEA clash for injury
- 23 Oct 08:34 CHELSEA star Courtois admits to be grateful to Mourinho
- 23 Oct 00:03 ARSENAL target Fiorentina young goalie SATALINO
- 22 Oct 23:34 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - CICCONE sign new contract for VADUZ
- 22 Oct 23:10 CHELSEA ready to try signing KEANE from Burnley
- 22 Oct 22:23 BOLTON WANDERERS weigh up signing ODEMWINGIE
- 22 Oct 21:51 LIGUE 1/ Full Time scores Matchday 10
- 22 Oct 21:43 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - ST. GALLEN sign ARATORE on new contract
- 22 Oct 21:40 SERIE A / MILAN 1-0 JUVENTUS - FT
- 22 Oct 21:02 ARSENAL, Lucas Perez: "I don't think OZIL will leave for Real Madrid"
- 22 Oct 20:41 SERIE A / MILAN 0-0 JUVENTUS - HT
- 22 Oct 20:25 LIGA BBVA/ VALENCIA 2-3 BARCELONA - FT
- 22 Oct 20:20 BAYERN MUNICH offer ROBBEN a new contract
- 22 Oct 19:49 BUNDESLIGA/ Fulltime Scores Matchday 8
- 22 Oct 19:48 MILAN v JUVENTUS, Official Line Ups
- 22 Oct 19:41 EVERTON back for GABBIADINI in January
- 22 Oct 19:21 SERIE A / SAMPDORIA 2-1 GENOA - FT
- 22 Oct 19:09 INTER MILAN willing to try KOMPANY winter hit
- 22 Oct 18:36 FIORENTINA back for SAPONARA
Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois believes that new manager Antonio Conte brought in a ‘new regime’ to change the attitude of his squad following the last disappointing season at Stamford Bridge.
“Different managers have different w
According to Italian sources Inter new owners Suning already got in mind the name for the new manager in case Frank de Boer would be sacked after othe
Currently on a deal with Las Palmas until June 2020, Spanish midfielder Vicente Gomez (28), according to Mundo Deportivo, has been targeted by Valenci
According to French media, Olympique Marseille top brass, after having signed Rudi Garcia as their new manager, have targeted 3 names for the mar
FC Köln announced having extended their deal with Japanese winger/forward Yuya Osako (26) until June 2020. Former Munich 1860 and Kashi