BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Let me believe that we can win again"
© foto di TuttoMercatoWeb.com
The manager believes that this is a “fascinating challenge” that gives meaning to his profession
Guardiola said that he has blind faith in his players and that they “astound” him each time they don’t win a match
With the quality football that’s been produced under his tutelage, with the titles the team has won under his management and with a firm belief in the squad he has at his disposal, Josep Guardiola called upon Barça fans and members to believe in this team ahead of the Cup semifinal away leg against Valencia. The manager has faith that his team will get back on track, despite the long list of injuries and being seven points down to Madrid in the League: “I believes that we can do it once again. We’re almost at the point of no return, but we have 18 games left not 5. A lot of people believe the League is already lost, but they will not convince me.”
“It’s a fascinating challenge”
Guardiola believes this is a unique opportunity to build upon what his players have already accomplished: “what we must try to do is extend what these players have already done. It’s a challenge that I impose on myself. It’s a fascinating challenge. It’s gives meaning to my profession.” Even though the team has not won in its last two matches, the manger believes that no title is beyond reach. “Let me believe that we can win again, and if we cannot, we’ll congratulate our opponents,” said the manager. He graded his team’s performance in the League so far with an "8.5 or 9" out of 10 “but the the other team is performing at a 9.5 or 10.”
The difficulty to do things well year after year
The team has received some criticism in the last couple of days because of the goalless draw with Villarreal. However, the support and faith shown in the team by the public to mount a title-winning fight back has been almost overwhelming: “it’s normal for people to have faith in us now. We’ve done well for a long, long, long time, and you don’t know how hard that is ... the players must put in the effort to continue. They will regret it if they don’t. It happened to me. We cannot give up yet,” said the manager.
Praise for the squad that wants more
Guardiola’s press conference was captivating. The coach said that his team’s morale hasn’t hit “rock bottom,” quite the contrary: “in Villarreal they ran more than ever. We didn’t go to sunbathe. It’s astounding to me that they get so sad when they don’t win. I have absolutely no doubts about their mentality ... if the ball just barely doesn’t go in, we just need to put in a little more work.” The manager reiterated his point by using the Australian Open championship match between Djokovic and Nadal as an example - the Spanish tennis player’s shot, which would have given him a very clear advantage, missed its mark by mere centimeters. Just a little more is needed and the victories will return.
Valencia is a “good test”
The manager heaped praise on Barça’s Cup rival: “Valencia has always been a strong side these last four years. They are a great team, strong in every position. It has always been a good test to compete against them. They are aggressive and fast, they impress me.” The Valencia-Barça League match at Mestalla ended in a draw (2-2).
Signings and referees
Guardiola also said there was little to no chance of picking up a new player during the winter transfer window: “we’ve thought about it, but I highly value the reserve players and I want to use them. I have no doubts about the footballers from the B team. If we have injuries, we’ll give the youngsters a chance. Cuenca, Sergi Roberto, Dos Santos, Bartra, Montoya ... whenever they play they do a good job.”
On the referee debate started by some Spanish newspapers, he said: “I continue believing that Barça does not complain about the referees. It’s entirely different to opine if a certain play was or wasn’t a penalty, but we know that they [referees] have the right to make mistakes. Ever since I started managing, I try to think that the refs do not exist. President Rosell has been exemplary since he started, just like President Laporta. We have never turned the referees into an excuse [for adverse results]. My conscience is clear, because I respect the referee system, because it doesn’t help me if I do complain, and because not only do I represent myself, but an institution as well.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 18 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Liverpool are keen on Luis Alberto, but.."
- 17 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Isco: "Morata and Nacho want me in Madrid, but.."
- 16 Jun 06:29 BARCELONA, Villa: "It's not the right moment to talk about my future"
- 14 Jun 15:20 MALAGA, Isco: "I'll weigh City offer, Pellegrini is my football father"
- 14 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "Inter? He is not for sale"
- 13 Jun 16:18 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo denies extension talk
- 12 Jun 21:00 BARCELONA, Messi denies any wrongdoing in a tax row
- 12 Jun 19:15 BARCELONA, Messi and his father accused of tax fraud in Spain
- 12 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Isco: "I want to make the history of this club"
- 11 Jun 13:00 FC SEVILLE, Rakitic: "Rumours about Liverpool? I'm proud"
- 11 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "Never thought about leaving"
- 10 Jun 05:59 BARCELONA, Abidal: "Guardiola wants me at Bayern"
- 09 Jun 06:59 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Courtois: "I have talked to Mourinho, I am staying"
- 08 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to stay"
- 07 Jun 19:10 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso might miss several months
- 07 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Callejón: "I will remain until 2015"
- 06 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Fernández: "I hope to remain"
- 05 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Juve have not asked me Higuain"
- 04 Jun 06:00 MALAGA, Lugano: "I am moving back to PSG"
- 03 Jun 06:00 ESPANYOL, Aguirre: "I want to extend, but.."
- 02 Jun 06:29 REAL MADRID, Higuain: "I will leave. Juventus? They are interested"
- 01 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Puyol: "Never thought about AC Milan"
- 31 May 10:00 BARCELONA, Camp Nou to honour Abidal after Malaga match
- 31 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Negredo: "Ready to evaluate eventual offers"
- 30 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Thiago Alcantara: "My future? After the Euro Under 21.."
- 29 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Kondogbia: "I want to stay"
- 28 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Falcao is still our player"
- 27 May 06:20 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Neymar was my priority"
- 25 May 05:59 ATLETICO, Simeone: "We are working to keep Courtois"
- 24 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I will remain here"
- 23 May 06:00 MALAGA, Aguilar: "Real Madrid are concretely interested in Isco"
- 22 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "It would be great if Neymar would join us"
- 21 May 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "It was the right time to split-up with Mourinho"
- 20 May 16:20 BARCELONA FC, Dani Alves: "I'm fine here, but I'm not ruling PSG out"
- 20 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Vilanova: "Everybody would like to have Neymar"
- 19 May 06:29 BARCELONA, Sanchez's agent: "Back to Italy? I can't exclude anything"
- 18 May 06:00 MALAGA, Antunes: "I would like to remain"
- 17 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Pedro: "I hope I can remain"
- 16 May 14:44 REAL MADRID, Xabi Alonso: “We feel confident to win the Copa”
- 16 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I would never move to another European club"
- 15 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I feel important for this team"
- 14 May 14:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Messi stops for 2-3 weeks
- 14 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "I thought Valdes was going to extend"
- 13 May 06:00 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "Let'see what will happen inside the club"
- 12 May 06:30 MALAGA, Pellegrini: "My future? Nothing concrete for the moment"
- 11 May 06:00 ATLETICO DE MADRID, Cerezo: "Villa? We always want great players"
- 10 May 09:47 REAL MADRID, Ramos: "Madrid must stop squabbling"
- 10 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Abidal: "No calls from the club, it means that they don't want me"
- 09 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Soldado: "I want to remain, but.."
- 08 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "No negotiations with Inter"
- 18 Jun 20:00 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, De Luca remains at Atalanta
- 18 Jun 19:45 GERMANY/ LEVERKUSEN, Mission for Donati
- 18 Jun 19:30 TURKEY/ KASIMPASA, Eyes on Romaric
- 18 Jun 19:15 ITALY/ AS ROMA, Jedvai about to join
- 18 Jun 19:00 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Ajaccio sign Bonnart
- 18 Jun 18:45 ITALY/ INTER, Sprint for Belfodil
- 18 Jun 18:30 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Kuchuk is Lokomotiv new coach
- 18 Jun 18:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Barreto remains at Torino
- 18 Jun 17:59 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Ruffier's agent: "Ready to negotiate with AS Roma"
- 18 Jun 17:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Pennant extends for Stoke City
- 18 Jun 17:20 UKRAINE/ OFFICIAL, Jeremain Lens joins Dynamo Kyiv
- 18 Jun 17:00 ARGENTINA/ RIVER PLATE, Cirigliano offered to Napoli
- 18 Jun 16:30 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Barça attempt for Agger ready
- 18 Jun 16:20 SPAIN/ CELTA VIGO, Luis Enrique wants Stryger Larsen
- 18 Jun 16:10 SPAIN/ RCD MALLORCA, Two Serie A suitors for Giovani dos Santos
- 18 Jun 16:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UNITED, No French rivalry for signing Marchisio
- 18 Jun 15:57 SCOTLAND/ OFFICIAL, Aberdeen sign Zola
- 18 Jun 15:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Helenius joins Aston Villa
- 18 Jun 15:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Italian rival make steps forward towards Gonalons
- 18 Jun 15:20 INTER & VALENCIA, Duel for Bartra
- 18 Jun 15:10 EXCLUSIVE TMW - AS Monaco-AC Milan meeting for Boateng
- 18 Jun 15:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. CITY, Offer for Di Maria ready
- 18 Jun 14:50 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, New attempt for Inler ready: outcome up to Benitez
- 18 Jun 14:40 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Orbán's agent: "Sunderland or Spain for his future, no Italy"
- 18 Jun 14:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Sagna willing to stay until 2014
- 18 Jun 14:22 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Appiah leaves AS Monaco for joining Caen
- 18 Jun 14:20 ENGLAND/ SWANSEA CITY, Duel to Cardiff for Gomis
- 18 Jun 14:13 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Elyounoussi joins Hoffenheim
- 18 Jun 14:08 HOLLAND/ OFFICIAL, John Dahl Tomasson is the new Excelsior Rotterdam trainer
- 18 Jun 14:04 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Fiorentina sign Munua
- 18 Jun 14:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Torres set for Jose talks
- 18 Jun 13:44 ITALY/ UDINESE, Rejected 8 millions for Vydra
- 18 Jun 13:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Lille: Rodelin pens new deal
- 18 Jun 13:17 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Rudd extends with Norwich
- 18 Jun 13:05 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Monchi: "Negredo? He is not for sale"
- 18 Jun 12:49 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Hannover: arrived Bittencourt from Borussia
- 18 Jun 12:30 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Levante signed El Adoua
- 18 Jun 12:15 ENGLAND/ SUNDERLAND, Zoet for replace Mignolet
- 18 Jun 12:00 FRANCE/ VALENCIENNES, Medicals for Chitu
- 18 Jun 11:47 SPAIN/ MALAGA, Eyes on Bendtner
- 18 Jun 11:30 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Need 38£ millions for Matic
- 18 Jun 11:15 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Official offer for Higuain
- 18 Jun 11:00 ITALY/ MILAN, Galliani in Montecarlo: Monaco want Boateng
- 18 Jun 10:47 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Heynckes suggests Isco
- 18 Jun 10:30 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Toulouse sign Spajic
- 18 Jun 10:16 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Rejected Zubizarreta resignation
- 18 Jun 10:00 ITALY/ JUVE, Monaco: 30 millions for Marchisio
- 18 Jun 09:46 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Verona sign 4 players
- 18 Jun 09:31 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Club demands Suarez a confirmation of his intention to leave
- 18 Jun 09:30 ITALY/ ROMA, 4-year-deal for Nainggolan
Bayer Leverkusen Sports Director Rudi Voeller is in Milan to carry out the negotiation for Inter 23 year old defender Giulio Donati, last season on loan at Grosseto.
Interviewed by Milannews.it, Raul Verdù, agent of AC Milan defender Didac Vilà, has declared: "Unfortunately the player was...
Interviewed by SFC Televisión, Sevilla FC Sports Director Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo aka Monchi has declared about 21...
Stephane Courbois, agent of Arsenal 27 year old defender Laurent Koscielny has told Eurosport: "I know that Laurent is is part of...
Interviewed by the Suddeutsche Zeitung, Borussia Dortmund Sports Director Hans-Joachim Watzke has declared about 25 year old forward Robert...
Interviewed by Telefoot, OM forward André Ayew has declared: "It's true, I would like to play in England, I think that the...