BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Let me believe that we can win again"
© foto di TuttoMercatoWeb.com
The manager believes that this is a “fascinating challenge” that gives meaning to his profession
Guardiola said that he has blind faith in his players and that they “astound” him each time they don’t win a match
With the quality football that’s been produced under his tutelage, with the titles the team has won under his management and with a firm belief in the squad he has at his disposal, Josep Guardiola called upon Barça fans and members to believe in this team ahead of the Cup semifinal away leg against Valencia. The manager has faith that his team will get back on track, despite the long list of injuries and being seven points down to Madrid in the League: “I believes that we can do it once again. We’re almost at the point of no return, but we have 18 games left not 5. A lot of people believe the League is already lost, but they will not convince me.”
“It’s a fascinating challenge”
Guardiola believes this is a unique opportunity to build upon what his players have already accomplished: “what we must try to do is extend what these players have already done. It’s a challenge that I impose on myself. It’s a fascinating challenge. It’s gives meaning to my profession.” Even though the team has not won in its last two matches, the manger believes that no title is beyond reach. “Let me believe that we can win again, and if we cannot, we’ll congratulate our opponents,” said the manager. He graded his team’s performance in the League so far with an "8.5 or 9" out of 10 “but the the other team is performing at a 9.5 or 10.”
The difficulty to do things well year after year
The team has received some criticism in the last couple of days because of the goalless draw with Villarreal. However, the support and faith shown in the team by the public to mount a title-winning fight back has been almost overwhelming: “it’s normal for people to have faith in us now. We’ve done well for a long, long, long time, and you don’t know how hard that is ... the players must put in the effort to continue. They will regret it if they don’t. It happened to me. We cannot give up yet,” said the manager.
Praise for the squad that wants more
Guardiola’s press conference was captivating. The coach said that his team’s morale hasn’t hit “rock bottom,” quite the contrary: “in Villarreal they ran more than ever. We didn’t go to sunbathe. It’s astounding to me that they get so sad when they don’t win. I have absolutely no doubts about their mentality ... if the ball just barely doesn’t go in, we just need to put in a little more work.” The manager reiterated his point by using the Australian Open championship match between Djokovic and Nadal as an example - the Spanish tennis player’s shot, which would have given him a very clear advantage, missed its mark by mere centimeters. Just a little more is needed and the victories will return.
Valencia is a “good test”
The manager heaped praise on Barça’s Cup rival: “Valencia has always been a strong side these last four years. They are a great team, strong in every position. It has always been a good test to compete against them. They are aggressive and fast, they impress me.” The Valencia-Barça League match at Mestalla ended in a draw (2-2).
Signings and referees
Guardiola also said there was little to no chance of picking up a new player during the winter transfer window: “we’ve thought about it, but I highly value the reserve players and I want to use them. I have no doubts about the footballers from the B team. If we have injuries, we’ll give the youngsters a chance. Cuenca, Sergi Roberto, Dos Santos, Bartra, Montoya ... whenever they play they do a good job.”
On the referee debate started by some Spanish newspapers, he said: “I continue believing that Barça does not complain about the referees. It’s entirely different to opine if a certain play was or wasn’t a penalty, but we know that they [referees] have the right to make mistakes. Ever since I started managing, I try to think that the refs do not exist. President Rosell has been exemplary since he started, just like President Laporta. We have never turned the referees into an excuse [for adverse results]. My conscience is clear, because I respect the referee system, because it doesn’t help me if I do complain, and because not only do I represent myself, but an institution as well.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 03 Dec 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya: "We are in talks for a new contract, but.."
- 01 Dec 09:00 REAL MADRID, Sergio Ramos: "I have three more years on my contract"
- 30 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sanabria's agent: "Roma, Milan and Arsenal concrete options"
- 29 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "He is happy here, but.."
- 28 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld: "It would be great to have De Bruyne with us"
- 27 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Puyol on Ajax failure: "Our performance is unacceptable"
- 27 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Maduro: "I want to play somewhere else, even in Holland"
- 26 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Pinto: "I want to stay"
- 25 Nov 18:15 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Wenger should buy us a dinner for Ozil"
- 25 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Messi: "I want to stay forever"
- 24 Nov 09:30 SEVILLA, Rakitic: "The new contact? There is no hurry"
- 23 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Montoya's agent: "We are in talks for a new contract"
- 22 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "New contract? We'll see"
- 21 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "We won't yield Griezmann"
- 20 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "I want to end my career here"
- 19 Nov 19:15 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Xavi and Tello join Messi on the injury list
- 19 Nov 12:45 BARCELONA, Busquets backs Messi patience
- 19 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We son't sign a substitute for Khedira"
- 18 Nov 09:19 REAL MADRID, Microsoft won't rename Santiago Bernabeu
- 18 Nov 05:59 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Iniesta's new contract? Before Christmas"
- 17 Nov 08:30 ATLETICO, Rodriguez's agent: "His future? There's an offer from England"
- 16 Nov 14:30 REAL MADRID, Medical report on Khedira's tough injury
- 16 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like Reina to join us"
- 15 Nov 11:30 BARCELONA FC, Neymar: "We are almost due to win World Cup. Leo Messi, join us back!"
- 15 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO, Villa: "No regrets about Barça, I'm happy here"
- 14 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, 14 players in first team training
- 14 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Song: "My future? Now I am happy here"
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Modric: "I am happy here"
- 12 Nov 12:04 BARCELONA, Fàbregas is pleased with his current form
- 12 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "Many clubs are tracking him"
- 11 Nov 08:00 BARCELONA, Piqué: "Messi the best player ever"
- 10 Nov 09:29 ESPANYOL, Collet: "Casilla is going nowhere"
- 09 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas wants to stay"
- 08 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Sergi Roberto's agent: "No contacts with Milan"
- 07 Nov 18:30 REAL MADRID, Morata: "My time will come, I am just thinking about enjoying myself"
- 07 Nov 16:26 BARCELONA, Neymar: "The team is growing, bit by bit"
- 07 Nov 12:26 BARCELONA, Messi: "Calm about recovering from injury"
- 07 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Banega's agent: "PSG? I don't think it's possible"
- 06 Nov 15:30 REAL MADRID, U.S. computer titan Microsoft ready to colonize Santiago Bernabeu
- 05 Nov 16:00 BARCELONA, Dos Santos operation succesful
- 05 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Galliani is the CR7 of the executives"
- 04 Nov 19:15 BARCELONA, Dos Santos to undergo operation
- 02 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I won't join Napoli"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Djukic: "I will keep on leading this team"
- 30 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "I am happy here, but..."
- 30 Oct 00:45 ATLETICO MADRID, Costa reveals why he chose Spain over Brazil
- 29 Oct 16:44 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Blatter showed a lack of respect for Cristiano Ronaldo"
- 29 Oct 06:00 ALMERIA, Francisco: "My future is in the club's hands"
- 27 Oct 06:29 BARCELONA, Fabregas: "There were some offers for me, but.."
- 04 Dec 18:15 ITALY/ PARMA, Keen on Fall
- 04 Dec 18:00 ARSENAL & MANCHESTER CITY, From Russia: Eyes on Lass Diarra
- 04 Dec 17:45 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, A Dutch suitor for Weihrauch
- 04 Dec 17:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Wenger: "You always get some pressure if you want to win"
- 04 Dec 17:15 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Duel to Premier League giants for El Shaarawy
- 04 Dec 17:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, United and Chelsea alerted: Khedira set to extend
- 04 Dec 16:45 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Wenger on Ozil: "His outstanding quality resides in passing"
- 04 Dec 16:30 POLAND/ OFFICIAL, Suler resigns from Legia Warszaw
- 04 Dec 16:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Juventus refuse Vucinic-Mata swap
- 04 Dec 16:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Nani more and more likely to leave on loan in January
- 04 Dec 15:45 SWEDEN/ HALMSTADS, Bundesliga and other European suitors on Berisha
- 04 Dec 15:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Predicted lineups: Wilshere over Rosicky and Walcott
- 04 Dec 15:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Julio Sergio resigns from AS Roma
- 04 Dec 15:00 ENGLAND/ FULHAM, Berbatov's agent: "Not happy, wants to leave. Premier League is his first choice"
- 04 Dec 14:45 ITALY/ INTER, Kovacic might leave on loan
- 04 Dec 14:30 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Bruce: "Arsenal play with fluidity and freedom"
- 04 Dec 14:15 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Eyes on Lodi
- 04 Dec 14:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Athletic Bilbao renew Iraola's deal
- 04 Dec 13:45 ARSENAL v HULL CITY - Preview, Wenger: "Emirates gives us a massive advantage"
- 04 Dec 08:00 CHILE/ OFFICIAL, Pellicer quits Huachipato
- 04 Dec 07:40 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mandià is Alaves new coach
- 04 Dec 07:17 FRANCE/ OM, Valbuena injured
- 04 Dec 06:57 PSG, Blanc: "Tired of the rumours about Lavezzi"
- 04 Dec 06:39 BORUSSIA M., Ter Stegen: "Soon a decision about my future"
- 04 Dec 06:19 WBA, Mulumbu: "Never said that I want to join Arsenal"
- 04 Dec 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Messi? I don't need him, I have Ronaldo"
- 04 Dec 00:00 INTER, Cambiasso: "I am not worried about my new contract"
- 03 Dec 23:37 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Rodriguez towards Rayo
- 03 Dec 23:17 TURKEY/ GALATASARAY, Ganso won't join
- 03 Dec 22:59 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Chance for Bigon
- 03 Dec 22:39 FRANCE/ PSG, Also Tottenham after Lavezzi
- 03 Dec 22:20 ITALY/ FIORENTINA, Borja Valero could extend
- 03 Dec 22:00 PORTUGAL/ FC PORTO, Quaresma back in January?
- 03 Dec 21:45 ITALY/ LAZIO, Offer for Kace ready
- 03 Dec 21:30 SPAIN/ BARCELONA, Two English clubs after Pedro
- 03 Dec 21:15 ARGENTINA/ BOCA, Eyes on Caceres
- 03 Dec 21:00 ENGLAND/ MAN. UTD, Plan for Sneijder
- 03 Dec 20:45 FRANCE/ MONACO, Offer for Otamendi ready
- 03 Dec 20:30 PORTUGAL/ SPORTING, Arsenal and United after Carcalho
- 03 Dec 20:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Still keen on Nkoulou
- 03 Dec 20:00 SPAIN/ BETIS SEVILLA, Thinking about Hoarau for the forward line
- 03 Dec 19:45 ENGLAND/ EXCLUSIVE, Watford: eyes on Nakoulma
- 03 Dec 19:30 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wenger expects Vermaelen to stay
- 03 Dec 19:15 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL. Heylen joins Anderlecht
- 03 Dec 19:00 AC MILAN, Zapata: "All of the defenders are ready if necessary"
- 03 Dec 18:45 ARSENAL, Wenger's news on Podolski
- 03 Dec 18:30 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Pinto quits Panathinaikos
- 03 Dec 18:15 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Fryatt joins Hull City back from Wednesday
- 03 Dec 18:00 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Relevant move for Micah Richards
- 03 Dec 17:45 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Bristol City, Cotterill is the new coach
Still talking before upcoming match against Hull City, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger declared: “There is no real specific pressure. It is a desire, we want to be where we are. What is important is that we want to play well and maintain that desire to play...
Interviewed by Sky Sport, Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso has declared: "My new contract? We'll see, at the moment I am not...
Interviewed by Radio Capital, Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has declared: "I already have Cristiano Ronaldo, why would I need Messi?...
Still talking before upcoming match against Hull City, Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger declared: “There is no real specific pressure....
Interviewed by Bild, Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen has declared: "In the next days there will be a...
PSG manager Laurent Blanc has declared: "Lavezzi at Inter? What concerns me is that you are anticipating the winter transfer window. Stop...