BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Let me believe that we can win again"
© foto di TuttoMercatoWeb.com
The manager believes that this is a “fascinating challenge” that gives meaning to his profession
Guardiola said that he has blind faith in his players and that they “astound” him each time they don’t win a match
With the quality football that’s been produced under his tutelage, with the titles the team has won under his management and with a firm belief in the squad he has at his disposal, Josep Guardiola called upon Barça fans and members to believe in this team ahead of the Cup semifinal away leg against Valencia. The manager has faith that his team will get back on track, despite the long list of injuries and being seven points down to Madrid in the League: “I believes that we can do it once again. We’re almost at the point of no return, but we have 18 games left not 5. A lot of people believe the League is already lost, but they will not convince me.”
“It’s a fascinating challenge”
Guardiola believes this is a unique opportunity to build upon what his players have already accomplished: “what we must try to do is extend what these players have already done. It’s a challenge that I impose on myself. It’s a fascinating challenge. It’s gives meaning to my profession.” Even though the team has not won in its last two matches, the manger believes that no title is beyond reach. “Let me believe that we can win again, and if we cannot, we’ll congratulate our opponents,” said the manager. He graded his team’s performance in the League so far with an "8.5 or 9" out of 10 “but the the other team is performing at a 9.5 or 10.”
The difficulty to do things well year after year
The team has received some criticism in the last couple of days because of the goalless draw with Villarreal. However, the support and faith shown in the team by the public to mount a title-winning fight back has been almost overwhelming: “it’s normal for people to have faith in us now. We’ve done well for a long, long, long time, and you don’t know how hard that is ... the players must put in the effort to continue. They will regret it if they don’t. It happened to me. We cannot give up yet,” said the manager.
Praise for the squad that wants more
Guardiola’s press conference was captivating. The coach said that his team’s morale hasn’t hit “rock bottom,” quite the contrary: “in Villarreal they ran more than ever. We didn’t go to sunbathe. It’s astounding to me that they get so sad when they don’t win. I have absolutely no doubts about their mentality ... if the ball just barely doesn’t go in, we just need to put in a little more work.” The manager reiterated his point by using the Australian Open championship match between Djokovic and Nadal as an example - the Spanish tennis player’s shot, which would have given him a very clear advantage, missed its mark by mere centimeters. Just a little more is needed and the victories will return.
Valencia is a “good test”
The manager heaped praise on Barça’s Cup rival: “Valencia has always been a strong side these last four years. They are a great team, strong in every position. It has always been a good test to compete against them. They are aggressive and fast, they impress me.” The Valencia-Barça League match at Mestalla ended in a draw (2-2).
Signings and referees
Guardiola also said there was little to no chance of picking up a new player during the winter transfer window: “we’ve thought about it, but I highly value the reserve players and I want to use them. I have no doubts about the footballers from the B team. If we have injuries, we’ll give the youngsters a chance. Cuenca, Sergi Roberto, Dos Santos, Bartra, Montoya ... whenever they play they do a good job.”
On the referee debate started by some Spanish newspapers, he said: “I continue believing that Barça does not complain about the referees. It’s entirely different to opine if a certain play was or wasn’t a penalty, but we know that they [referees] have the right to make mistakes. Ever since I started managing, I try to think that the refs do not exist. President Rosell has been exemplary since he started, just like President Laporta. We have never turned the referees into an excuse [for adverse results]. My conscience is clear, because I respect the referee system, because it doesn’t help me if I do complain, and because not only do I represent myself, but an institution as well.”
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 24 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy here"
- 23 Nov 06:30 ATLETICO M. Cerezo: "We are not thinking about selling Jimenez"
- 22 Nov 06:29 ATLETICO M., Moyà: "Oblak is our future"
- 21 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy with us"
- 20 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to renew"
- 19 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No offers for Krychowiak"
- 18 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "Napoli never made an offer"
- 17 Nov 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Just rumors about Simeone"
- 16 Nov 06:30 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I would like to play in England, but.."
- 15 Nov 06:00 SEVILLA FC, Monchi: "No offers for Vitolo"
- 14 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Moyes: "I had many offers from England, but.."
- 13 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, S. Ramos: "No problems about my new deal"
- 12 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "Sterling and Barkley can play for Barça"
- 11 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I have no intention to leave in January"
- 10 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We would like to keep Zuculini"
- 07 Nov 10:00 FC SEVILLE, Pareja: "We are improving and limiting our weaknesses"
- 07 Nov 06:19 ATLETICO, Siqueira: "I feel always better in this team"
- 06 Nov 10:19 BARCELONA, Messi matches Raúl González's goal record with double at Ajax
- 06 Nov 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Maybe next Monday we'll have a new coach"
- 05 Nov 06:39 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "Now let's defeat Olympiakos and celebrate qualification"
- 04 Nov 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about my new contract"
- 03 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "Luis Enrique is not at risk"
- 02 Nov 06:00 GRANADA, Murillo: "I deam of Barça"
- 01 Nov 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "No hurry about my renewal"
- 31 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Simeone: "I can still give a lot to this club"
- 30 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "Coming here was my priority"
- 29 Oct 07:59 REAL MADRID, Marcelo: "The secret for defeating Barça was running and fighting"
- 28 Oct 06:29 ATLETICO, Mandzukic: "I had offers from Italy, but.."
- 24 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I would like to end my career here"
- 23 Oct 13:44 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo in no hurry to break Raul's record
- 23 Oct 13:35 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo makes $1 billion release clause seem justifiable
- 22 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 21 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I'd like to move back to England"
- 20 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "We are not after Sterling"
- 19 Oct 06:29 REAL MADRID, Butragueño: "Khedira could renew"
- 18 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about Khedira's new contract"
- 17 Oct 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "We'll try to keep Beto"
- 16 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Casillas going nowhere"
- 15 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Alves' agent: "No contacts with other clubs"
- 14 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Pedro"
- 13 Oct 06:00 CORDOBA, Matos: "Here to play my chances"
- 11 Oct 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "He will honor his contract"
- 10 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 09 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo's agent: "Here forever"
- 08 Oct 06:00 REAL MADRID, Casillas: "Moving abroad? Why not!"
- 07 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Pique: "United? I dream to end my career here"
- 06 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I'm not moving back to Brazil"
- 04 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Mascherano: "I will end my European career here"
- 03 Oct 06:00 VALENCIA, Alcacer: "Renewal? No problem"
- 01 Oct 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi could end his career here"
- 30 Sep 06:00 ATLETICO, Jimenez: "Grateful to this club"
- 27 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "I can't imagine our team without CR7"
- 26 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Gameiro: "I am ready to come back"
- 25 Sep 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo: "Back to United? Just speculations"
- 23 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "I don't pay attention to my players' contracts"
- 22 Sep 07:20 ATLETICO MADRID, Godin: "We tried everything for defeating Celta. We are however strong and confident"
- 21 Sep 06:00 REAL, Arbeloa turns out transfer rumors
- 20 Sep 06:00 SEVILLA, Mbia: "My future? We'll see"
- 19 Sep 14:15 EUROPA LEAGUE Day After - FC SEVILLE, Banega: "We showed we are a healthy group"
- 18 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "I cried when I knew I was moving here"
- 17 Sep 12:21 REAL MADRID,Modric: "We need to build on this and continue to grow"
- 17 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "I want to end my career here"
- 16 Sep 16:57 REAL MADRID, Former chairman Calderon: "CR7 is fed up with the club's policy. United return? I wouldn't be surprised"
- 15 Sep 07:20 REAL MADRID, Casillas after derby debacle: "We've been very unlucky. A team of winner like ours will get to climb back"
- 12 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Rafinha: "I don't fear the competition"
- 11 Sep 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I had many offers, but I wanted to stay"
- 10 Sep 18:15 BARCELONA, Adriano: "Luis Enrique has a lot of character and that's good for us"
- 10 Sep 00:45 GETAFE, Torres: "No offers for Pedro Leon"
- 09 Sep 06:00 LEVANTE, Sissoko: "I wanted to quit..."
- 08 Sep 06:29 VILLARREAL, Musacchio" I never asked to leave"
- 05 Sep 18:02 REAL MADRID, Perez: "I have zero disagreements with 'loyal' Ronaldo"
- 03 Sep 13:00 BARCELONA, Douglas: "To adapt to Barça I’m going to have to work on "
- 01 Sep 11:44 REAL MADRID, Casillas: “We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that”
- 29 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ronaldo: "Two Important players have left"
- 28 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Suarez: "I have refused other offers to come here"
- 27 Aug 06:00 ESPANYOL, Collet: "There is an offer for Lopez"
- 26 Aug 12:45 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Neither Ronaldo nor Madrid in peak condition"
- 26 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Tremoulinas: "I feel no pressure"
- 25 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Di Maria will leave, Khedira will stay"
- 24 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Khedira: "Leaving? Everything can happen"
- 23 Aug 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Fazio is leaving"
- 22 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "Enzo Perez would be perfect for us"
- 21 Aug 08:15 ATLETICO MADRID, Raul Garcia: "New players are welcome"
- 20 Aug 19:59 REAL MADRID, Modric: "My dream continues with my renewal"
- 20 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Cerezo: "Not possible to sign Reus"
- 19 Aug 14:26 BARCELONA, Suarez: "My ban is what it is and we have to accept it"
- 19 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Garcia Toral: "I think Musacchio will stay"
- 18 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu's departure was my choice"
- 17 Aug 09:30 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "Our transfer market is over"
- 14 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Alderweireld's father: "We are waiting for an offer"
- 13 Aug 06:00 REAL, Ancelotti: "Khedira is not for sale"
- 12 Aug 06:00 VILLARREAL, Victor Ruiz: "I had no doubts about coming"
- 11 Aug 15:44 BARCELONA, confirm Vermaelen is still carrying a hamstring injury
- 11 Aug 06:00 BARCELONA, Zubizarreta: "No offers for Dani Alves"
- 10 Aug 06:29 BARCELONA, Vermaelen: "I'm in a great club"
- 09 Aug 06:00 VALENCIA, Rufete: "We are in talks for Vargas"
- 08 Aug 06:00 CORDOBA, Rossi: "I am not thinking about Italy"
- 06 Aug 06:20 REAL MADRID, Navas: "This is the best club on the planet"
- 05 Aug 06:00 REAL MADRID, Navas: "Being here is a great responsibility"
- 04 Aug 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "Saying no to Barça has not been easy"
- 24 Nov 22:00 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Balotelli: "A return to Inter ? Impossible"
- 24 Nov 21:00 INTER, Paris Saint-Germain v Inter, friendly in Marrakech
- 24 Nov 20:40 GERMANY/ SCHALKE 04, Di Matteo: "Chelsea remain the favourite in the group"
- 24 Nov 20:20 ITALY/ AS ROMA, De Sanctis: "In my career I have played many times in difficult conditions."
- 24 Nov 20:00 AS ROMA, Garcia: "Against CSKA it will not be easy"
- 24 Nov 18:44 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Mourinho: "Ramos is no doctor"
- 24 Nov 18:15 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Courtois: "Cech? Quiet normal that is not happy"
- 24 Nov 18:00 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Offered a 5-year deal to Odegaard
- 24 Nov 17:30 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Basilea: Streller and Embolo extended
- 24 Nov 17:15 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Martinez: "Lukaku has the potential to be the best striker"
- 24 Nov 17:00 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Wilshere's renewal is near
- 24 Nov 16:45 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Zimmer extends for Kaiserslautern
- 24 Nov 16:36 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Arteta says defeat to Manchester United 'not fair'
- 24 Nov 16:30 TURKEY/ FENERBAHCE, Steps forward towards Pato
- 24 Nov 16:15 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Lambert might be loaned back to Southampton
- 24 Nov 16:00 AUSTRALIA/ OFFICIAL, Frans Thijssen is the new Brisbane Roar manager
- 24 Nov 15:45 ITALY/ AC MILAN, Back and harder for Sneijder
- 24 Nov 15:30 GERMANY/ BAYERN MUNICH, Shaqiri's Italian agent: "I proposed him to Napoli. Difficult trade"
- 24 Nov 15:15 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Lucas Leiva more and more likely to join
- 24 Nov 15:00 ITALY/ INTER, Bardi might leave Chievo in January
- 24 Nov 14:45 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Duel to Southampton on Redmond: Reds's offer to Norwich ready
- 24 Nov 14:30 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Mainz 05 sign Bengtsson for January
- 24 Nov 14:15 ARSENAL, Szczesny: "We can defeat Dortmund at Emirates and qualify for CL final 16"
- 24 Nov 14:00 GERMANY/ OFFICIAL, Armin Veh resigns from Stuttgart
- 24 Nov 13:45 CHINA/ GUIZHOU RENHE, A new Bundesliga suitor for Misimovic
- 24 Nov 13:30 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Meeting with Rodriguez for the deal extension
- 24 Nov 13:15 GERMANY/ WERDER BREMEN, Fritz: "Difficult situation, but I'm optimistic"
- 24 Nov 13:00 ENGLAND/ HULL CITY, Arsenal and Man United interested in Robertson
- 24 Nov 12:44 ENGLAND/ LIVERPOOL, Lining up Klopp for replacing Rodgers
- 24 Nov 12:30 ARSENAL & CHELSEA, Duel to Spanish giants on Asensio
- 24 Nov 12:15 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Ilicic on target
- 24 Nov 12:00 SPAIN/ BARCELONA FC, Ter Stegen tempted by Premier League
- 24 Nov 11:45 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Majestic offer for Miranda ready: good chances for Red Devils
- 24 Nov 11:30 ENGLAND/ EVERTON, Keen on Montoya
- 24 Nov 11:15 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Approaching Odegaard
- 24 Nov 11:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Duel to Juventus and AC Milan on Kramaric
- 24 Nov 10:37 FRANCE/ OGC NICE, 2 new pursuers for Cvitanich
- 24 Nov 10:24 ITALY/ ROMA, 15 mlns for the January market
- 24 Nov 10:17 ENGLAND/ ASTON VILLA, Lambert: "Vlaar's agent refused renewal"
- 24 Nov 09:59 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, A new rival towards Schar
- 24 Nov 09:39 ITALY/ INTER, A new Premier League suitor for Icardi
- 24 Nov 09:20 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER UNITED, Lead on Depay
- 24 Nov 09:00 ENGLAND/ MANCHESTER CITY, From UK: 250 million euros offer for Messi ready!
- 24 Nov 08:30 SPAIN/ SEVILLA, Idea Gutierrez
- 24 Nov 07:57 GERMANY/ BORUSSIA, Reus injured again
- 24 Nov 06:59 BORUSSIA M., Kramer: "Many clubs after me"
- 24 Nov 06:29 CHELSEA, Mourinho: "No offers for Cech"
- 24 Nov 06:00 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "Messi is happy here"
- 24 Nov 00:00 TORINO, Cairo: "Confidence in Ventura"
- 23 Nov 23:27 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Also Courtois on the wishlist
Mario Balotelli's agent has rubbished the possibility the Liverpool striker could return to play in Italy. Balotelli's representative Mino Raiola has rejected speculation linking the striker with moves to Inter Milan and Napoli.
"A return to Inter ? Impossibl
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has spoken in the press conference before the Champions match against CSKA Moscow.
"Roma is always Roma. In Europe m
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has declared about Lionel Messi: "I have talkes with his father Jorge two days ago, and my impression is
After the heavy disappointment coming from the defeat suffered by the hand of Manchester United last Saturday, Arsenal regular goalkeeper Wojciech Szc
Interviewed by TMW, Donato Di Campli, agent of PSG midfielder Marco Verratti, has declared: "He is upset because of his injury, he has come to wa
Bayer Leverkusen 23-year-old midfielder Christoph Kramer, currently on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach, has declared: "I am very happy in M