BARCELONA, Guardiola: "Let me believe that we can win again"
© foto di TuttoMercatoWeb.com
The manager believes that this is a “fascinating challenge” that gives meaning to his profession
Guardiola said that he has blind faith in his players and that they “astound” him each time they don’t win a match
With the quality football that’s been produced under his tutelage, with the titles the team has won under his management and with a firm belief in the squad he has at his disposal, Josep Guardiola called upon Barça fans and members to believe in this team ahead of the Cup semifinal away leg against Valencia. The manager has faith that his team will get back on track, despite the long list of injuries and being seven points down to Madrid in the League: “I believes that we can do it once again. We’re almost at the point of no return, but we have 18 games left not 5. A lot of people believe the League is already lost, but they will not convince me.”
“It’s a fascinating challenge”
Guardiola believes this is a unique opportunity to build upon what his players have already accomplished: “what we must try to do is extend what these players have already done. It’s a challenge that I impose on myself. It’s a fascinating challenge. It’s gives meaning to my profession.” Even though the team has not won in its last two matches, the manger believes that no title is beyond reach. “Let me believe that we can win again, and if we cannot, we’ll congratulate our opponents,” said the manager. He graded his team’s performance in the League so far with an "8.5 or 9" out of 10 “but the the other team is performing at a 9.5 or 10.”
The difficulty to do things well year after year
The team has received some criticism in the last couple of days because of the goalless draw with Villarreal. However, the support and faith shown in the team by the public to mount a title-winning fight back has been almost overwhelming: “it’s normal for people to have faith in us now. We’ve done well for a long, long, long time, and you don’t know how hard that is ... the players must put in the effort to continue. They will regret it if they don’t. It happened to me. We cannot give up yet,” said the manager.
Praise for the squad that wants more
Guardiola’s press conference was captivating. The coach said that his team’s morale hasn’t hit “rock bottom,” quite the contrary: “in Villarreal they ran more than ever. We didn’t go to sunbathe. It’s astounding to me that they get so sad when they don’t win. I have absolutely no doubts about their mentality ... if the ball just barely doesn’t go in, we just need to put in a little more work.” The manager reiterated his point by using the Australian Open championship match between Djokovic and Nadal as an example - the Spanish tennis player’s shot, which would have given him a very clear advantage, missed its mark by mere centimeters. Just a little more is needed and the victories will return.
Valencia is a “good test”
The manager heaped praise on Barça’s Cup rival: “Valencia has always been a strong side these last four years. They are a great team, strong in every position. It has always been a good test to compete against them. They are aggressive and fast, they impress me.” The Valencia-Barça League match at Mestalla ended in a draw (2-2).
Signings and referees
Guardiola also said there was little to no chance of picking up a new player during the winter transfer window: “we’ve thought about it, but I highly value the reserve players and I want to use them. I have no doubts about the footballers from the B team. If we have injuries, we’ll give the youngsters a chance. Cuenca, Sergi Roberto, Dos Santos, Bartra, Montoya ... whenever they play they do a good job.”
On the referee debate started by some Spanish newspapers, he said: “I continue believing that Barça does not complain about the referees. It’s entirely different to opine if a certain play was or wasn’t a penalty, but we know that they [referees] have the right to make mistakes. Ever since I started managing, I try to think that the refs do not exist. President Rosell has been exemplary since he started, just like President Laporta. We have never turned the referees into an excuse [for adverse results]. My conscience is clear, because I respect the referee system, because it doesn’t help me if I do complain, and because not only do I represent myself, but an institution as well.”
Transfer Market Web news: football - soccer transfer news and rumors
Other news Liga (Spain)
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 22 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Parejo: "I hope Mathieu will stay"
- 21 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Guardado's agent: "Offers from Italy and Russia"
- 20 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas: "I haven't signed for anyone yet"
- 19 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Diego Lopez's agent: "Nothing with Benfica"
- 18 Jul 06:00 VALENCIA, Salvo: "We want to keep Mathieu"
- 17 Jul 06:15 REAL MADRID, Khedira's agent: "We are not in talks with Arsenal"
- 16 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I want to honor my contract"
- 15 Jul 06:19 VALENCIA, Nuno: "Mathieu going nowhere"
- 14 Jul 06:15 BARCELONA, Bartomeu: "We'll sign other players"
- 13 Jul 06:30 SEVILLA, Monchi: "Carmona is not a priority"
- 11 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata: "I am looking forward to join Juventus"
- 10 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Dani Alves: "I would like to honor my contact"
- 08 Jul 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve is closer"
- 07 Jul 06:30 LEVANTE, Navas' agent: "Offers form Atletico and Porto"
- 04 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Monchi: "No more talks with Liverpool for Moreno"
- 03 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Adriano: "I would like to stay"
- 02 Jul 14:15 BARCELONA, Adriano keen on Barca stay
- 01 Jul 06:00 BARCELONA, Faus: "We can invest on the transfer market"
- 28 Jun 06:00 LEVANTE, Navas: "Atletico? It would be great"
- 26 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay for many years"
- 25 Jun 06:00 ESPANYOL, Stuani: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 24 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "If Diego Costa leaves..."
- 23 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Di Maria: "Don't know anything about Juve"
- 22 Jun 06:29 ATLETICO, Godin: "I will stay"
- 21 Jun 06:00 REAL, Burgui: "Espanyol are after me"
- 19 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Morata's agent: "Juve? Nothing new"
- 18 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "Sorry that I didn't have time to say good-bye"
- 16 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Courtois: "My future? After the World Cup"
- 14 Jun 06:00 BARCELONA, Xavi: "No decisions about my future yet"
- 13 Jun 06:00 REAL SOCIEDAD, Aperribay: "Vela wants to remain"
- 12 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO MADRID, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 11 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Ancelotti: "No hurry about the new signings"
- 10 Jun 22:46 BRAZIL, Pele: "I love Xavi"
- 10 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Arda Turan's agent: "No contacts with Barcelona"
- 09 Jun 06:00 VALENCIA, Bernat's agent: "No offers from Porto"
- 08 Jun 06:30 SEVILLA, Castro: "We haven' sold or bought anyone"
- 07 Jun 06:00 SEVILLA, Moreno: "I have four years on my contract"
- 06 Jun 06:15 ATLETICO, Koke: "I am happy here"
- 05 Jun 06:00 ATLETICO, Cerezo: "Who wants Diego Costa must pay his clause"
- 04 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Perez: "Morata won't join Juve"
- 03 Jun 06:00 REAL MADRID, Arbeloa's agent: "He won't move"
- 01 Jun 06:30 REAL SOCIEDAD, Arrasate: "Difficult to keep Bravo"
- 31 May 06:00 ATLETICO, Koke: "I want to stay"
- 30 May 06:00 VALENCIA, Diego Alves: "I'm about to sign a new contract"
- 29 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Castro: "No offers for Rakitic"
- 28 May 06:00 REAL, Di Maria: "I want to honor my contract"
- 27 May 06:00 SEVILLA, Emery: "Wednesday I will sign a new contract"
- 26 May 18:00 BARCELONA,Halilovic thrilled to sign at Camp Nou
- 26 May 06:00 BARCELONA, Macherano: "I am not thinking about my future"
- 23 Jul 19:00 ITALY/ PARMA: New offer from UAE, but Amauri wants to stay
- 23 Jul 18:45 ITALY/ JUVENTUS, Back tracking Gaston Ramirez
- 23 Jul 18:30 ITALY/ ATALANTA, Back for Rolando Bianchi's return
- 23 Jul 18:15 PORTUGAL/ BENFICA, Eliseu more and more likely to join
- 23 Jul 18:00 ENGLAND/ CHELSEA, Lukaku ready to say farewell: training with Anderlecht
- 23 Jul 17:51 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL, Walter Samuel joins FC Basel
- 23 Jul 17:45 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Shakhtar Donetsk, strict clause on Douglas Costa
- 23 Jul 17:30 EXCLUSIVE TMW - Genoa and Parma working on a swap
- 23 Jul 17:15 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Manuel Coppola joins Cesena back
- 23 Jul 17:00 ITALY/ NAPOLI, Dzemaili's agent: "Italian club and Spanish one both near to sign him"
- 23 Jul 16:45 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, 3 Premier League suitors for Gnabry's loan
- 23 Jul 16:30 RUSSIA/ LOKOMOTIV MOSCOW, Eyes on Tissone
- 23 Jul 16:15 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Asteras Tripoli sign Kosicky
- 23 Jul 16:00 EXCLUSIVE TMW - FC Basel about to announce Walter Samuel
- 23 Jul 15:45 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Two youngsters renew for Sporting Lisbon
- 23 Jul 15:30 MLS - USA/ NY CITY FC, Xavi might join in December
- 23 Jul 15:15 GERMANY/ EINTRACHT FRANKFURT, Hubner: "Piazon from Chelsea? There are good signals"
- 23 Jul 14:59 ITALY/ GENOA, Suggestion for Nené
- 23 Jul 14:39 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Chihi joins Fulham
- 23 Jul 14:20 ITALY/ EMPOLI, Keen on Vecino
- 23 Jul 14:00 ARGENTINA/ OFFICIAL, Adrian Fernandez joins Quilmes
- 23 Jul 13:43 ITALY/ OFFICIAL, Inter sign back Sanogo
- 23 Jul 13:31 ENGLAND/ MAN CITY, Pellegrini wants Isco
- 23 Jul 13:16 ITALY/ CATANIA, Peruzzi will not join Arsenal
- 23 Jul 12:59 ITALY/ EXCLUSIVE TMW - Inter, Firmino a real target. Arsenal put pressure
- 23 Jul 12:46 ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Arsenal: Fulham capture Eisfeld
- 23 Jul 12:44 FRANCE/ PSG, No contacts with Conte
- 23 Jul 12:36 SPAIN/ REAL MADRID, Casillas can leave: Arsenal thinking about him
- 23 Jul 12:31 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Krychowiak joins Sevilla
- 23 Jul 12:00 GERMANY/ WOLFSBURG, Rodriguez: "I stay here"
- 23 Jul 12:00 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Almeria: arrives Dos Santos
- 23 Jul 10:37 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Khedira so far, Wenger tracking William Carvalho
- 23 Jul 10:15 OFFICIAL/ FRANCE, N'Daw joins Metz
- 23 Jul 10:05 PORTUGAL/ OFFICIAL, Porto sign Brahimi
- 23 Jul 09:45 SPAIN/ OFFICIAL, Mathieu joins Barcelona
- 23 Jul 09:14 ENGLAND/ ARSENAL, Agreement with Nice for Ospina
- 23 Jul 09:00 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Waasland-Beveren sign Sawaneh
- 23 Jul 08:45 FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Marveaux joins Guingamp
- 23 Jul 08:30 ITALY/ PALERMO, Idea Vangioni
- 23 Jul 08:15 NORWAY/ OFFICIAL, Ingebrigtsen is Rosenborg new coach
- 23 Jul 08:00 SPAIN/ ATLETICO, Napoli's offer for Suarez refused
- 23 Jul 07:45 GREECE/ OFFICIAL, Olympiacos sign Masuaku
- 23 Jul 07:30 ITALY/ ROMA, Offer for Ferreira Carrasco
- 23 Jul 07:15 RUSSIA/ OFFICIAL, Mordovia sign Le Tallec
- 23 Jul 07:00 GERMANY/ BAYERN, Schweinsteiger needs to rest
- 23 Jul 06:45 MONACO, Vasilyev: "We didn't want to sell Rodriguez"
- 23 Jul 06:30 BORUSSIA D., Klopp: "Hummels to United for 20 millions? Forget it"
- 23 Jul 06:15 TOTTENHAM, Lamela: "Never thought about leaving"
- 23 Jul 06:00 SEVILLA, Bacca: "I want to honor my contract"
- 23 Jul 00:00 ROMA, Garcia: "Benatia will stay"
Recently drawn towards Torino and Sampdoria, as a less top-range market target, Uruguayan international offensive midfielder and half-forward Gaston Ramirez (23), according to latest rumours reported in Italian media, is back as an item of interest for Juventus management....
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia has declared: "Lovren and Rami? They have played in France, so certain rumors could come out, could be. The...
Interviewed by El Pais, Sevilla 27-year-old forward Carlos Bacca has declared: "Moving to a different league? Thank God, I am very happy in...
Interviewed by The Sun, Tottenham forward Erik Lamela has declared: "Leaving Tottenham never once entered my mind, not even when I was...
Interviewed by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has declared: "Reus will remain with us, at least for this...
Monaco striker Radamel Falcao has declared: "Now I am only thinking about recovering from my knee-injury. In any case, for the moment I...