AZ ALKMAAR, Proud to recover from 'nightmare' opening
© foto di Giuseppe Celeste/Image Sport
Niklas Moisander was proud of his AZ Alkmaar team after they overcame a "nightmare start" to beat Udinese Calcio 3-2 on aggregate and reach the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals.
AZ Alkmaar defender Niklas Moisander told UEFA.com he is "very proud" of his team after the Eredivise leaders battled back from two goals and a man down to beat Udinese Calcio 3-2 on aggregate and qualify for the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals. Udinese striker Antonio Floro Flores, meanwhile, could not hide his disappointment, rueing the AZ strike that "destroyed our plans" after two early goals had wiped out the Zebrette's first-leg deficit.
Niklas Moisander, AZ defender
The start was a nightmare. We didn't want this to happen even if we knew Udinese were going to attack a lot in the beginning. The penalty and red card were bad for us so I'm very proud of the team, who kept fighting and eventually managed to qualify. Making it 2-1 was very important because we had a two-goal cushion again, and after scoring we knew it was possible so we started believing in it even more. We fought for each other and that was the key to our success. In the second half Udinese attacked a lot because they had to score twice, so we had space to counter. We got the penalty, which unfortunately Rasmus [Elm] missed, but we could have scored even more in the second half.
Erik Falkenburg, AZ midfielder
It was a difficult start indeed. The red card was very hard for us and we didn't know if we were going to survive, but ultimately we did, so we are very happy now. After making it 2-0 Udinese calmed down a bit, so we could better organise ourselves. Then our goals made it much easier for us. We are having a great season. It doesn't matter to me which team we face, we are just happy to have reached the quarter-finals.
Other news News
- 30 Oct 12:51 Born This Day - Diego Maradona turns 57
- 07 Feb 15:00 CARPI - Romairone: "Castori is not in doubts"
- 12 Dec 14:31 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE - Round of 32 draw
- 04 Nov 18:00 FENERBAHCE - Kjaer: "Ibrahimovic 'is an arrogant"
- 03 Nov 22:58 VIDEO - Buffon makes 100th Champions League appearance
- 03 Nov 20:27 VIDEO - Ancelotti matching Guardiola so far
- 03 Nov 16:46 BARCELONA -Neymar appears in trailer for new Vin Diesel action movie
- 03 Nov 10:35 OFFICIAL - WIGAN, Joyce is the new manager
- 02 Nov 18:35 EL/ Lucescu - "ZENIT have a lot of things to lose against DUNDALK, but we want to win"
- 02 Nov 17:58 EL/ MAN UNITED - Darmian: "It will be difficult against Fenerbahce, but we are here to win"
- 02 Nov 17:44 UCL/ JUVENTUS - Allegri: "I chose Khedira and Marchisio in the midfield against LYON"
- 02 Nov 17:31 EL/ ANDERLECHT - Wieler: "I woud like to do history with this squad"
- 02 Nov 13:05 UEFA CL- All the Possible line-ups for today matches
- 31 Oct 22:18 UEFA CL - PSV v Bayern: possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 21:47 UCL- MAN CITY v BARCELONA, predicted line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:44 UEFA CL- Besiktas v Napoli: Possible line-ups
- 31 Oct 19:23 GERMANY - Low has signed a new contract
- 31 Oct 17:33 UEFA CL -Basel v Paris: line-ups
- 31 Oct 16:14 PHOTOS - MAN CITY's training ahead of BARCELONA's UCL clash
- 31 Oct 14:49 UEFA CL- Matchday 4
- 26 Oct 14:01 Football world mourns Brazilian legend CARLOS ALBERTO
- 22 Oct 13:48 OFFICIAL - CHINA, Lippi is the new national team coach
- 19 Oct 13:38 OFFICIAL - ANORTHOSIS and coach Antonio Puche part ways
- 18 Oct 13:16 UEFA CL- Possible line-ups and team for Tuesday
- 17 Oct 21:06 MLS - Drogba rejects to go on bench, the manager leaves him out of the match squad
- 14 Oct 21:47 OFFICIAL - CORINTHIANS Oswaldo de Oliveira is the new coach
- 14 Oct 14:44 OFFICIAL - Former Portuguese international HUGO VIANA quits
- 12 Oct 19:38 ROMANIA/ OFFICIAL, MUTU is the new DINAMO BUCURESTI general manager
- 11 Oct 23:12 STEAUA BUCHAREST - Florin Tanase will stop 4-5 months after ACL injury
- 11 Oct 17:38 OFFICIAL - Brazilian-German striker CACAU quits at 35
- 10 Oct 19:12 OFFICIAL - BOAVISTA part ways with coach Erwin Sanchez
- 10 Oct 16:28 OFFICIAL - LIBYA sack Javier CLEMENTE
- 10 Oct 09:58 SPAIN, Lopetegui: "Very tough and tight qualification"
- 10 Oct 09:33 ITALY, Verratti: "We proved again that we are a great side"
- 10 Oct 08:36 ITALY, Ventura: "We must have patience"
- 08 Oct 13:34 ASTON VILLA calls ex Premier League boss for managerial role
- 07 Oct 14:31 OFFICIAL - KRASNODAR: Shalimov is the new coach
- 07 Oct 13:16 SPAIN - Jordi Alba KO, Lopetegui calls ARSENAL's Monreal
- 05 Oct 21:31 CELTIC - Desmond: "We want to keep Moussa Dembele, we don't need to sell"
- 05 Oct 12:44 OFFICIAL - CARDIFF CITY, Neil Warnock it the new manager
- 04 Oct 16:55 ENGLAND - Rooney: "As a group of players we need to stick together"
- 04 Oct 15:11 OFFICIAL - VELEZ SARSFIELD sign De Felippe as new manager
- 03 Oct 17:42 SHEFFIELD UNITED - 3 new contracts ready
- 03 Oct 15:17 BREAKING NEWS - CAMEROON legend Rigobert SONG in serious health conditions after stroke
- 02 Oct 22:41 PORTUGAL - Primeira Liga, Sunday Scores
- 30 Sep 10:39 Rodgers : Dembele is similar to Drogba
- 28 Sep 10:47 REAL MADRID, James: "We deserved to win against BORUSSIA"
- 28 Sep 10:19 SEATTLE SOUNDERS - Dempsey to end season due to heart issue
- 27 Sep 16:46 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - København v Club Brugge: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:45 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Napoli vs Benfica line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:35 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Sevilla v Lyon: line-ups,
- 27 Sep 16:34 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - CSKA v Tottenham: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:30 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Celtic v Man. City: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:29 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Leicester v Porto: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:28 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dortmund v Madrid: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:22 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Dinamo v Juventus: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:16 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Gladbach v Barcelona: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:12 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 -Besiktas v Dynamo Kyiv: line-ups
- 27 Sep 16:06 CHAMPIONS MATCHDAY 2 - Arsenal v Basel: line-ups
- 27 Sep 15:28 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Sejmenovic extends for NEUCHATEL XAMAX
- 26 Sep 23:32 CRYSTAL PALACE - Benteke: "Here to return to my best"
- 26 Sep 15:17 OFFICIAL - Michael LAUDRUP is the new AL-RAYYAN manager
- 23 Sep 14:45 BELGIUM/ OFFICIAL, Lepoint extends for ZULTE WAREGEM
- 23 Sep 09:56 PORTO - Espirito Santo praises Otavio: "He deserves everyone's congratulations"
- 22 Sep 22:59 OFFICIAL - BUTKO extends for Shakhtar Donetsk
- 21 Sep 19:20 OFFICIAL - AJAX sign youngsters Clement and Bakker on new contracts
- 20 Sep 20:16 SWITZERLAND/ OFFICIAL - Portuguese youngster TEIXEIRA pens new contract for Neuchatel XAMAX
- 19 Sep 17:30 CROATIA/ OFFICIAL - Sopic replaces Kranjcar as DINAMO ZAGREB manager
- 15 Sep 23:16 AC MILAN : Bacca out Lapadula in
- 15 Sep 22:45 JUVENTUS, Beppe Marotta : "Morata loves Juve and can return one day..."
- 15 Sep 22:11 EL, former CHELSEA reject sinks OGC Nice
- 15 Sep 18:17 EXCLUSIVE : AJAX, Marc Overmars : "One day El Ghazi will go to Milan"
- 15 Sep 17:58 EL, Manchester United, J.Mourinho's first time after 13 years
- 15 Sep 14:02 ITALY, Pellè tired of Chinese football
- 15 Sep 13:43 EL, MAN UNITED, Ibrahimovic's positive record against Feyenoord
- 15 Sep 12:53 SEATTLE SOUNDERS, MLS, Clint Dempsey back to training after heart scare
- 15 Sep 00:45 Di Canio's fascist tattoo shocks the world, but who remembers Buffon's wish to wear the jersey with the number 88 in 2000?
- 14 Sep 18:12 AC MILAN interested in resigning PSG's Thiago Silva to speed up Romagnoli's growth
- 14 Sep 16:20 REAL MADRID, Ronaldo to face boyhood club tonight
- 14 Sep 16:01 CL, JUVENTUS gunning for glory but only 4 players have won it
- 14 Sep 14:16 OFFICIAL - Martin REIM is the new ESTONIA coach
- 14 Sep 13:00 INTER MILAN, De Boer wants reunion with Bazoer in January
- 14 Sep 10:49 UCL, TOTTENHAM with 6 debutants against Monaco
- 13 Sep 22:02 MANCHESTER CITY v BORUSSIA MONCHENGLADBACH abandoned for bad weather
- 13 Sep 20:46 Champions League Matchday 1 - HT scores
- 13 Sep 18:44 FIORENTINA, Zarate's wife has cancer
- 12 Sep 15:04 BOCA - TEVEZ risks a 12-games-ban after insulting the referee's sister
- 10 Sep 10:57 LUGANO, Alioski's agent: "Even Barça asked for him"
- 09 Sep 12:14 BRAZIL - Douglas Costa: "We can win 2018 World Cup"
- 06 Sep 15:14 WC QUALIFICATION -Immobile praises new Italy boss Ventura
- 06 Sep 08:47 RUSSIA 2018 Qualifiers - Europe GROUP G: GEORGIA v AUSTRIA 1-2
- 04 Sep 12:39 SPORTING CP Champions Leagues squad list
- 30 Aug 13:46 SPARTA PRAGUE sign back Rosicky from ARSENAL
- 27 Aug 19:27 CHINA/ OFFICIAL - Manuel PELLEGRINI is the new HEBEI manager
- 25 Aug 17:07 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2016/2017 - GROUP STAGE DRAW RESULTS
- 18 Aug 14:00 OFFICIAL - Matty PALMER extends for BURTON ALBION
- 12 Aug 22:47 OFFICIAL - Argentinian legend VERON back on the pitch for amateur club
- 11 Aug 16:00 OFFICIAL - Lerin DUARTE resigns from AJAX
- 09 Aug 20:14 VIDEO INTERVIEW - Juninho Paulista: "Pele better than Messi and Ronaldo"
- 09 Aug 11:15 SPORTING LISBON - A Bola: "Slimani refuses to train"
Asked about Polish 23-year old international midfielder Piotr Zielinkski's development, Napoli boss, Maurizio Sarri, attending pre-Europa League match (against RB Leipzig) press conference, stated: "He's a prodigy, hands down. He's also got noteworthy athlet
Asked about Polish 23-year old international midfielder Piotr Zielinkski's development, Napoli boss, Maurizio Sarri, attending pre-Europa Lea
Barcelona FC announced having signed Spanish international full-back/midfielder Sergi Roberto (26) on a deal extension, lasting until June 2022. A 500
Standing out as a scoring midfielder this season, French-Malian 25-year old Abdoulaye Doucouré told Telefoot: "That's t
En Avant Guingamp announced having signed Isaac Drogba (17), 2000-born son of Ivorian glorious striker Didier Drogba, on a development area deal. Drog
Left Werder Bremen after about a year and a half, Senegalese centre-back Lamine Sané (30) has officially joined Orlando City, on undisclosed te